Fixed width forces horizontal scrolling

More fun than a liquid sodium enema
Patrick

Fixed width forces horizontal scrolling

Post by Patrick »

Hi,

I recently found this forum while reading up on the Thunderf00t kerfluffle and I'm really enjoying the discussion. The only problem I see with the site is that the CSS is set up to use a fixed width, which results in a horizontal scroll bar on my preferred browser settings. Would you consider changing this to use percentages of the user-specified browser window width?

Thanks,

Patrick

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Re: Fixed width forces horizontal scrolling

Post by John Greg »

Actually, I meant to ask about this too. It forces the page to be about one inch wider than I have my browser set for.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

I did have this set to float to screen width to begin with, but for widescreen monitors this is very bad. When I get a chance I'll look at reducing the width, but I'm going to keep it fixed at some value.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

I've knocked 120px off the width. Let me know if that works for you.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Still too big, but, please, don't use me as any sort of a guideline. I wasn't going to say anything, but as someone else did, I thought, well, in for a penny; in for a pound. Or summat. I have my browsers set to specific sizes because this is my workstation, not a playstation, so to speak. And I need the real estate for other things.

JAB

Post by JAB »

Lsuoma wrote:I've knocked 120px off the width. Let me know if that works for you.
This works fine for me... thanks. I didn't think to ask you to change it, but this is much nicer. Narrower columns are also much nicer to read. before I'd been scrolling it over, so I hadn't been able to appreciate the avatars folk were using.

Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Lsuoma wrote:I've knocked 120px off the width. Let me know if that works for you.
It's still wider than my browser width.

Out of curiosity, why are you committed to using a fixed width? Shouldn't window size be up to the user?

Thanks,

Patrick

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Because of this.

Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Lsuoma wrote:Because of this.
So is the issue that the text displays badly in extremely wide browser windows? If so, how about using the max-width property, a third column, or some Javascript to set the layout based on the detected window size?

I'm enjoying the site, I just find horizontal scrolling unaesthetic and unnecessary.

Regards,

Patrick

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Now set to width 85%, max-width 1080px, min-width 650px.

Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Lsuoma wrote:Now set to width 85%, max-width 1080px, min-width 650px.
That's great, thank you!

Patrick

Post by Patrick »

By the way, this kind of calm, rational discussion about technical issues reflects the environment I'm seeing in the Periodic Table of Swearing thread.

You missed a wonderful opportunity for a flame war, complete with personal insults and accusations of incompetence on all sides. How do you expect to grow an online community without those?

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Patrick wrote:By the way, this kind of calm, rational discussion about technical issues reflects the environment I'm seeing in the Periodic Table of Swearing thread.

You missed a wonderful opportunity for a flame war, complete with personal insults and accusations of incompetence on all sides. How do you expect to grow an online community without those?
Don't worry - when it's time to rewrite history, we'll add that in.

Gilmarvag

Duration Hydrocodone Bitartrate And Acetaminophen

Post by Gilmarvag »

http://i.imgur.com/i7lHtAl.png?2

Edited by Skep Tickle, reason = spam