Periodic Table of Swearing

Continuation of the post at Abbie Smith's ERV blog (http://scienceblogs.com/erv/)

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Jonathan » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:03 am  •  [Post 42251]

Metalogic42 wrote:I just have to link to this, cause the whole thing is so bizarre:

http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3483

Three trigger warnings in one post, with the first being a MASSIVE TRIGGER WARNING for omg everything!. Followed by tons of links, research project style.

And then some poor fool comes in with a reasonable point: that this isn't a rape culture issue specifically, because people tend to defend the rich and famous regardless of the nature of their crimes. Lo and behold, he's banned for "minimising the effects of rape culture". Because as we all know, there's nothing anyone can ever do that's worse than rape.


I saw that as well. What makes it all the more bizarre is that he wasn't actually minimising it, just saying that he didn't think it was to blame in this case. But in the mod's eyes "rape culture" is so self-evidently a fact that any dissent about it is equivalent to minimising it.

That particular poster, kbonn, gets a lot of trouble from the mods over there. Surprised he hasn't quit yet.
User avatar
Jonathan
.
.
 
Posts: 394
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:59 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Altair » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:04 am  •  [Post 42252]

13 hours ago, PZ retweeted Nugent's tweet that said "Publisher of video flagged for bullying admits Melody Hensley has been harassed and bullied"

I wonder if he'll also retweet Michael's retraction and apologies

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
User avatar
Altair
.
.
 
Posts: 800
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:44 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby somedumbguy » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:07 am  •  [Post 42253]

Tony Parsehole wrote:
codelette wrote:and this is from a site that takes pride on being the forefront of science and skepticism. Shit that Marilove says...
Image

lol

Physics/biology/chemistry= fat shaming.
I think Marilove is expecting somebody to some to her house and do the work for her.

"But I ated only three radishes orl off today and I iz still teh fat!"


So Marilove certainly has a lot of problems. Ignore Marilove.

It's not actually all that clear to scientists and MDs that eating less calories "than you need" will cause you to lose weight, or, that eating more calories "than you need" will cause you to gain weight.

Sounds really stupid, right?

My non-scientist take:

There is calorie, a unit of heat, and calorie, a unit of food energy, measured by the Atwater System: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_energy

If you look at the Atwater System, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atwater_system (and I haven't looked closely at it for months), a lot of it is empirical and depends on

Apparent digestibility coefficients

Atwater measured a large number of digestibility coefficients for simple mixtures, and in substitution experiments derived values for individual foods. These he combined in a weighted fashion to derive values for mixed diets. When these were tested experimentally with mixed diets they did not give a good prediction, and Atwater adjusted the coefficients for mixed diets.


So first, let's assign all proteins digested under any circumstance the same coefficient. And let's determine that coefficient, by, uh, a lot of handwaving.

So not only could these coefficients be wrong, but the assumption that all proteins have the same coefficient is probably also wrong, as well as the assumption that the same protein, digested under any circumstance will have the same coefficient.

And same for carbs and fats.

Another problem in "eat fewer calories than you need" is the determination of "than you need". I have gone through calorie counting regimes and though charts would say I should eat 1800 - 2200 calories a day, I know there have been weeks that I have eaten 1000 - 1200 calories with no weight loss. My body (our bodies) seems to have evolved to maintain homeostasis.

So now, the various low carb advocates, MDs and scientists seem to believe that:

a) Eat fewer calories, homeostasis and other factors may keep your weight the same
b) Eat more calories "than you need", fats and proteins and no carbs, and you will lose weight.

There are plenty of scientific arguments available via Google taking on the question of whether this could violate Thermodynamics.

My take is A) it clearly cannot violate Thermodynamics, and B) the "out" is that the simplistic thermodynamics calculations conflates a calorie, unit of heat, with a calorie, hand waved empirically derived food energy unit. The various scientists and MDs I read would also discuss that the context of the biochemical pathways invoked during digestion differ from protein to protein as well as differ depending on the context of the body they are being digested within. (Ketosis or not ketosis.)

For actual science, more than my bullshit, feel free to visit http://nusi.org/ Nutrition Science Initiative, or the various blogs of Peter Attia, Michael Eades, or Gary Taubes.
User avatar
somedumbguy
.
.
 
Posts: 379
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Pitchguest » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:10 am  •  [Post 42254]

Who the hell is Simon on Michael Nugent's blog? Simon Singh? That's ... Hensley's husband, right?

I guess he Singhs to her tune, the goose-stepping harpy. *ducks*
"But suppose you throw a coin enough times, suppose one day . . . it lands on its edge."
--Amy Hennig, Soul Reaver 2

Avatar credit to tklmac (and Jan Steen)
User avatar
Pitchguest
.
.
 
Posts: 2148
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:44 pm

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby somedumbguy » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:12 am  •  [Post 42255]

Jonathan wrote:
Metalogic42 wrote:I just have to link to this, cause the whole thing is so bizarre:

http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3483

Three trigger warnings in one post, with the first being a MASSIVE TRIGGER WARNING for omg everything!. Followed by tons of links, research project style.

And then some poor fool comes in with a reasonable point: that this isn't a rape culture issue specifically, because people tend to defend the rich and famous regardless of the nature of their crimes. Lo and behold, he's banned for "minimising the effects of rape culture". Because as we all know, there's nothing anyone can ever do that's worse than rape.


Code: Select all
I saw that as well. What makes it all the more bizarre is that he wasn't actually minimising it, just saying that he didn't think it was to blame in this case. But in the mod's eyes "rape culture" is so self-evidently a fact that any dissent about it is equivalent to minimising it.


That particular poster, kbonn, gets a lot of trouble from the mods over there. Surprised he hasn't quit yet.


I've long wondered:

In a gender studies course, in a gender studies journal, is it the case that papers or research is done to explore the question: Does patriarchy effect X? How does patriarchy effect X?

How many times have students or researchers written or published papers that conclude: I tried to determine if patriarchy affected X, but the conclusion of the research is that patriarchy does not effect X.


I don't know. Maybe gender studies journals have plenty of these papers. Maybe in classes it's widely discussed that patriarchy doesn't affect every fucking thing. But that's not the impression I get, and it's one reason I believe patriarchy is an invisible sky demon.
User avatar
somedumbguy
.
.
 
Posts: 379
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Gefan » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:15 am  •  [Post 42256]

codelette wrote:I never understood how was it that the Patriarchy shames women into becoming Skeletors. My perception is that heterosexual men tend to prefer women with meat on top of their bones. To be crass: tits and ass is what they want.


I think you need to substitute "fashion industry" for "patriarchy" (being as only one of those things actually exist, and all) and then ask yourself how many straight men work there.
It's baffling to me how straight men got the blame pie-in-the-face for an industry that seems to be run more or less exclusively by women and gay men.
User avatar
Gefan
.
.
 
Posts: 1535
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:55 pm
Location: In a handbasket, apparently.

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Mykeru » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:18 am  •  [Post 42257]

Altair wrote:13 hours ago, PZ retweeted Nugent's tweet that said "Publisher of video flagged for bullying admits Melody Hensley has been harassed and bullied"

I wonder if he'll also retweet Michael's retraction and apologies

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]


You know, we should have ERV's imput on this as we are about to do some real-time virology. Well, epidemiology. Or something. Well, at least we can get Arnie in on this.

Where was I? Oh yeah,

That Nugent created this little nugget of corn-fed cow-shit and later kinda sorta retracted it is interesting, but what's going to be more interesting is how all the repeaters in the echo chamber will fail to retract it themselves. Then said nugget will be repeated by the clueless minions until it becomes a staple of the dumbfuck A+ catechism.

With other pieces of bullshit, like "upskirt guy" it could only be examined on an ad hoc basis. However, it's still being repeated as an instance of bona fide sexual harassment. Some clueless newb here even did so a couple of days ago, much to the delight of Sacha, who has yet to send me schoolgirl outfit confirmation although, to be fair, I'm a slacker when it comes to checking my mail.

In this case, we can watch the dissemination of bullshit through the intestines of the APLUS/FTB/SCK hydra-headed beast as it happens.

It's kind of exciting, really.
"reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled" -- Richard P. Feynman
User avatar
Mykeru
.
.
 
Posts: 3681
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:52 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby rocko2466 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:21 am  •  [Post 42258]

somedumbguy wrote:
Jonathan wrote:
Metalogic42 wrote:I just have to link to this, cause the whole thing is so bizarre:

http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3483

Three trigger warnings in one post, with the first being a MASSIVE TRIGGER WARNING for omg everything!. Followed by tons of links, research project style.

And then some poor fool comes in with a reasonable point: that this isn't a rape culture issue specifically, because people tend to defend the rich and famous regardless of the nature of their crimes. Lo and behold, he's banned for "minimising the effects of rape culture". Because as we all know, there's nothing anyone can ever do that's worse than rape.


Code: Select all
I saw that as well. What makes it all the more bizarre is that he wasn't actually minimising it, just saying that he didn't think it was to blame in this case. But in the mod's eyes "rape culture" is so self-evidently a fact that any dissent about it is equivalent to minimising it.


That particular poster, kbonn, gets a lot of trouble from the mods over there. Surprised he hasn't quit yet.


I've long wondered:

In a gender studies course, in a gender studies journal, is it the case that papers or research is done to explore the question: Does patriarchy effect X? How does patriarchy effect X?

How many times have students or researchers written or published papers that conclude: I tried to determine if patriarchy affected X, but the conclusion of the research is that patriarchy does not effect X.


I don't know. Maybe gender studies journals have plenty of these papers. Maybe in classes it's widely discussed that patriarchy doesn't affect every fucking thing. But that's not the impression I get, and it's one reason I believe patriarchy is an invisible sky demon.


I did women's studies. The conclusion was always that it was the patriarchy. Anything bad that would happen was because of the patriarchy.

The most surreal experience was sitting in a lecture where students put up their hands and gave stories about events in their lives (some were admittedly about sexism, but largely not nearly enough information was given) and the lecturer explained why each one was patriarchy. The best was 'my parents have always preferred my little brother' (this was literally the only information given) and the lecturer said it was a perfect example of patriarchy and systemic discrimination against and to the disadvantage of women. Oh, and a similar one was 'when I go into a mechanic's / garage with my dad, they always talk to my dad first'.

Patriarchy.
User avatar
rocko2466
.
.
 
Posts: 707
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:56 pm

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Za-zen » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:23 am  •  [Post 42259]

Mykeru What you mean there wasn't a masked man sneaking around TAM raping skirt wearing skepbabes with a dildo mounted modified camera pole? Fuck, guess i'm going to have to check my sources, but i swear that's what it said on ftb!
Dillahunty: @Zaminuszen You seem to confuse free speech with freethought. Ironic that you do this while claiming we don't know the difference. Bye!
User avatar
Za-zen
.
.
 
Posts: 1526
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:39 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Eucliwood » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:27 am  •  [Post 42260]

rocko2466 wrote:
I did women's studies. The conclusion was always that it was the patriarchy. Anything bad that would happen was because of the patriarchy.

The most surreal experience was sitting in a lecture where students put up their hands and gave stories about events in their lives (some were admittedly about sexism, but largely not nearly enough information was given) and the lecturer explained why each one was patriarchy. The best was 'my parents have always preferred my little brother' (this was literally the only information given) and the lecturer said it was a perfect example of patriarchy and systemic discrimination against and to the disadvantage of women. Oh, and a similar one was 'when I go into a mechanic's / garage with my dad, they always talk to my dad first'.

Patriarchy.


Oh, hell no. That's awful. Are they getting paid to spout this garbage? I guess a college being accreditted isn't enough if they've got a Women's Studies class in there. Are most classes like that? All of them should be reviewed, tbh, and taken out or fixed if they are spouting bullshit. If most of the material relies on bullshit, oh well. Teach something else, dumb asses.
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.
User avatar
Eucliwood
.
.
 
Posts: 508
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:25 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby codelette » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:28 am  •  [Post 42261]

@somedumbguy
I really like reading Gary Taubes. A lot of his arguments seem very plausible. I also enjoy reading Michael Pollan. I think the problem with calorie counting came when we started getting all these overly processed foods and manufactures started stamping "low cal" to the package. Then they write shit like "100 calories per serving" (and somewhere in between it says "4 servings per box"). Then you add poor suckers like marilove into the mix, and they think they are eating a 100 cals when they are really getting 400.
I do have to admit than I don't count calories, but I do tend to gain weight when I start eating out. When I eat out I eat like a pig. When I'm home, I'm more conscious of portions. When I eat home, I start losing weight.
User avatar
codelette
.
.
 
Posts: 770
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:01 pm

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Mykeru » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:30 am  •  [Post 42262]

Pitchguest wrote:Who the hell is Simon on Michael Nugent's blog? Simon Singh? That's ... Hensley's husband, right?

I guess he Singhs to her tune, the goose-stepping harpy. *ducks*


That would be Simon Davis who goes by the engagingly ironic name of @SimonKnowz on Twitter.

He is, as you may imagine, a completely dishonest "agree or misogyny" kool-aid chugging little tit. His Twitter style is hit-and-run. He probably works with Hensley to false flag Twitter accounts critical of what I assume he imagines is DC's very own CFI power couple where she's a fucking idiot and he's a glorified event planner.

Here's my latest exchange with this worm. Note he does a one-off Tweet and then hides:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

He sucks ass, basically. That and he's so lacking in anything like actual size balls that he must cum like an eye-dropper.
"reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled" -- Richard P. Feynman
User avatar
Mykeru
.
.
 
Posts: 3681
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:52 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby ReneeHendricks » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:33 am  •  [Post 42263]

Shit. I go to sleep and the Nugent shit hits the fan. Lesson learned? Never go to sleep.
Renee Kelly
----
Wine - when you're over 40 and tequila shots have kicked your ass.
User avatar
ReneeHendricks
.
.
 
Posts: 2114
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:48 am
Location: Kent, WA

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Parge » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:37 am  •  [Post 42264]

I must have missed something. Do only some of the members have a "thank" button?
"civility is a construct of privilege" - not a dog
"An obese trans-eagle furry otherkin waddled into the room and tried to perch upon the American Flag, bending the flagpole in the process." - Anonymous
User avatar
Parge
.
.
 
Posts: 120
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:18 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Eucliwood » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:37 am  •  [Post 42265]

Gefan wrote:
codelette wrote:I never understood how was it that the Patriarchy shames women into becoming Skeletors. My perception is that heterosexual men tend to prefer women with meat on top of their bones. To be crass: tits and ass is what they want.


I think you need to substitute "fashion industry" for "patriarchy" (being as only one of those things actually exist, and all) and then ask yourself how many straight men work there.
It's baffling to me how straight men got the blame pie-in-the-face for an industry that seems to be run more or less exclusively by women and gay men.


Yeah, seriously. It's not the patriarchy... it's all dumb asses requiring their models to be this or that. Sometimes the models take it upon themselves to do it - but not because they think the *man* portion of the audience wants sticks. Sometimes models really are told by their... whatever those people are, agents or something, that they need to lose some weight, and "no, don't eat this," etc. And guess what? plenty of those agents are women... and NO, they were not trained by the patriarchy.

Ugh, watching a sad program on people working their way out of poverty. One couple just put their dog down.. they were crying as he walked down the hall to be put down :( I cried too, silently. I feel like a dork. I'm glad I don't live below the poverty line... and especially if I had a pet that someone decided had to be put down cos cant afford or something? Wouldn't be able to take it.
And then there's this other family w/ a mom who had cancer and broke her leg, so she's currently out of work... the child support helps although they dont always get it and dont know how much they'll get... the mother thinks that couponing is a cool idea. Problem is, she is spending more than she would without seeing coupons for certain items, according to the daughter. Looks like she doesn't know how to coupon. *facepalm* They've had to sell some "memories" so to speak..
the daughter can't go to a public school anymore since she gets panic attacks and has other anxiety issues due to the poverty situation and being stressed out about finances...so she WAS doing homeschool, but they just sold the laptop she was doing it with to pay for the water bill.
But that doesn't matter, because lookie, now their net and cable are shut off. Cellphone is next.
I am so glad I don't live below the poverty line...

The other couple with the baby is putting 100 dollars away in saving, finally got their stuff paid... and are hoping to get their son some christmas presents.

I'm sorry, but if I was that poor and just struggled paying bills, I would not be planning to buy a baby who won't even realize much if he doesn't get presents, some presents. Can't spend a dime on that. Sorry, but no christmas for baby.

Oh geez, the guy is saying he used to think like "what if I just rob one person?" and how he cant think like that... but thinks about things like that a lot o.o

*sighs*
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.
User avatar
Eucliwood
.
.
 
Posts: 508
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:25 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Mykeru » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:38 am  •  [Post 42266]

ReneeHendricks wrote:Shit. I go to sleep and the Nugent shit hits the fan. Lesson learned? Never go to sleep.


Well, you may have learned a lesson, but rest assured, they haven't.

"reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled" -- Richard P. Feynman
User avatar
Mykeru
.
.
 
Posts: 3681
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:52 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Jonathan » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:40 am  •  [Post 42267]

Parge wrote:I must have missed something. Do only some of the members have a "thank" button?


Parge:

The "thumbs up" button appears on the top-right of everyone's post but the person who is logged in, allowing them to "thank" them by clicking it. There's no button for the user so they can't "thank" themselves, probably because it's unsanitary.
User avatar
Jonathan
.
.
 
Posts: 394
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:59 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby rocko2466 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:40 am  •  [Post 42268]

I think I just got accused of criminal behaviour by Ellen Beth Wachs on Nugent's blog for being mentioned in tweets by Achron lol.

See it before its gone!

http://www.michaelnugent.com/2013/01/04 ... ogy-to-wb/
User avatar
rocko2466
.
.
 
Posts: 707
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:56 pm

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Jonathan » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:41 am  •  [Post 42269]

rocko2466 wrote:I think I just got accused of criminal behaviour by Ellen Beth Wachs on Nugent's blog for being mentioned in tweets by Achron lol.

See it before its gone!

http://www.michaelnugent.com/2013/01/04 ... ogy-to-wb/


Ellen Beth Wachs isn't having the best day when it comes to reasoned argument.
User avatar
Jonathan
.
.
 
Posts: 394
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:59 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby ReneeHendricks » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:41 am  •  [Post 42270]

Mykeru wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:Shit. I go to sleep and the Nugent shit hits the fan. Lesson learned? Never go to sleep.


Well, you may have learned a lesson, but rest assured, they haven't.



I totally gave you a "thank you" on that one :D Actually because I want to show my daughter that vid later - "derp" is her favorite word. Still (snicker), I gave you a "thank you" :D
Last edited by Lsuoma on Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Renee fucked up the spoiler - fixing it for her.
Renee Kelly
----
Wine - when you're over 40 and tequila shots have kicked your ass.
User avatar
ReneeHendricks
.
.
 
Posts: 2114
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:48 am
Location: Kent, WA

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby ReneeHendricks » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:42 am  •  [Post 42271]

DAMN IT! I screwed up the spoiler. Sigh. I didn't do exactly what I thought of when it was screwing up before - preview. Yeah. Going to shut the fuck up now for a bit and just caffeinate.
Renee Kelly
----
Wine - when you're over 40 and tequila shots have kicked your ass.
User avatar
ReneeHendricks
.
.
 
Posts: 2114
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:48 am
Location: Kent, WA

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Scented Nectar » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:46 am  •  [Post 42272]

Parge wrote:I must have missed something. Do only some of the members have a "thank" button?

You have to chuck your cookies and then you may say thanks. :puke-huge:

Also you have to delete the cookies out of your browser and then reload the page.
User avatar
Scented Nectar
.
.
 
Posts: 2265
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:45 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Tigzy » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:47 am  •  [Post 42273]

Regarding the vegetarianism debate.

The only thing I really want to know is if a vegetarian's shit smells different from a normal person's.

Kudos to Michael Nugent for being clear about his error, btw.
"It should be noted that among the more alarming tendencies of those men who participate in train-spotters' groups, one will also find a complete disinclination to discuss feminism or women's issues."

Isobel Shed, feminist, 1959
User avatar
Tigzy
.
.
 
Posts: 3008
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:53 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Ape+lust » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:47 am  •  [Post 42274]

BarnOwl wrote:Meanwhile, Greta "please donate money for my cancer surgery" is waxing lyrical about Fluevogs:

[spoiler]
The shoes are enormously comfortable. John Fluevog knows what he’s doing: the heels I have from him are easily the most comfortable heels I own, and these new babies are almost like sneakers. And they’re definitely stylish. Again — John Fluevog knows what he’s doing.
But they’re also very quirky. They’re stylish and expressive, but they’re not conventionally pretty. They’re more than a little bit nerdy, and way more than a little old-fashioned. The very name of the shoe is “Pilgrim” — not exactly the apotheosis of feminine grace and sophistication. They carry strong overtones of “Wicked Witch of the West.”
And I realized: Maybe that’s exactly what I needed to break this conundrum.
Maybe, if I want dressy, stylish, comfortable women’s shoes, I need to re-define what I mean by “stylish.” Maybe I need to let go of “conventionally pretty.” Maybe I need to let go of conventional femininity. Maybe I need to let myself be a little old-fashioned. Maybe I need to let my stylishness be quirky, nerdy, witchy.
(I also maybe need to spend somewhat more than I normally do on shoes. That’s something Ingrid kept reminding me of when I was griping about my conundrum: more-expensive, higher-quality shoes tend to be more comfortable, and longer-lasting, as well as prettier. But when I think of how many pairs of useless ballerina flats I’ve bought in my life — and the amount of money I’ve wasted on them — the math on this totally adds up.)
[/spoiler]

You know, I genuinely enjoy reading most of Greta's fashion posts - not that I am remotely fashionable in my attire, but I just think some of the topics are interesting. However, I've yet to see her address "fashion on a budget" (perhaps because she doesn't worry about that) or the social justice issues associated with the fashion industry (perhaps because she doesn't care). I brought up the latter several times in the comments of one or two of her posts (as did some other commentators), but was ignored completely. Might have even been banninated, but I haven't tried commenting since.


Fuck me. If people pulled my ass out of the fire, I'd be gobsmacked with relief and gratitude and my concerns would be about cost/utility and not spitting on everyone who helped me. A genuine crisis is when your options are reduced to near zero and have nothing to do with whether "my stylishness be quirky, nerdy, witchy" with 2-3 hunnert dollar shoes. She just blithely showed her hairtrigger privilege-shaming howitzers point in every direction but her own.

Thanks a lot PlaySkool justice "warrior," for making the old charge of "limousine liberalism" something the rest of us on the left have to answer to.
User avatar
Ape+lust
.
.
 
Posts: 1859
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:55 pm

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Parge » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:48 am  •  [Post 42275]

Jonathan wrote:
Parge:

The "thumbs up" button appears on the top-right of everyone's post but the person who is logged in, allowing them to "thank" them by clicking it. There's no button for the user so they can't "thank" themselves, probably because it's unsanitary.

Well, lo and behold. I swear to bob that it wasn't there when I asked the question. Logged out and in again. Changed pages. Only after I refreshed to see your comment did that sneaky little thumbastard come out of the bushes. Maybe I won't click it just to spite it. I'm a bit short on willpower though. I didn't get any toys this Christmas and it feels like Santa found something at the bottom of his sack for me. <suppressed "yay"/>
"civility is a construct of privilege" - not a dog
"An obese trans-eagle furry otherkin waddled into the room and tried to perch upon the American Flag, bending the flagpole in the process." - Anonymous
User avatar
Parge
.
.
 
Posts: 120
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:18 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby TheMan » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:49 am  •  [Post 42276]

Scented Nectar wrote:
Parge wrote:I must have missed something. Do only some of the members have a "thank" button?

You have to chuck your cookies and then you may say thanks. :puke-huge:

Also you have to delete the cookies out of your browser and then reload the page.


I just pressed F5 and there they were.... (Chrome Browser).
It looks like you have TheMan on your jumper....
User avatar
TheMan
.
.
 
Posts: 638
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:56 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia.

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby another lurker » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:50 am  •  [Post 42277]

Ape+lust wrote:
BarnOwl wrote:Meanwhile, Greta "please donate money for my cancer surgery" is waxing lyrical about Fluevogs:

[spoiler]
The shoes are enormously comfortable. John Fluevog knows what he’s doing: the heels I have from him are easily the most comfortable heels I own, and these new babies are almost like sneakers. And they’re definitely stylish. Again — John Fluevog knows what he’s doing.
But they’re also very quirky. They’re stylish and expressive, but they’re not conventionally pretty. They’re more than a little bit nerdy, and way more than a little old-fashioned. The very name of the shoe is “Pilgrim” — not exactly the apotheosis of feminine grace and sophistication. They carry strong overtones of “Wicked Witch of the West.”
And I realized: Maybe that’s exactly what I needed to break this conundrum.
Maybe, if I want dressy, stylish, comfortable women’s shoes, I need to re-define what I mean by “stylish.” Maybe I need to let go of “conventionally pretty.” Maybe I need to let go of conventional femininity. Maybe I need to let myself be a little old-fashioned. Maybe I need to let my stylishness be quirky, nerdy, witchy.
(I also maybe need to spend somewhat more than I normally do on shoes. That’s something Ingrid kept reminding me of when I was griping about my conundrum: more-expensive, higher-quality shoes tend to be more comfortable, and longer-lasting, as well as prettier. But when I think of how many pairs of useless ballerina flats I’ve bought in my life — and the amount of money I’ve wasted on them — the math on this totally adds up.)
[/spoiler]

You know, I genuinely enjoy reading most of Greta's fashion posts - not that I am remotely fashionable in my attire, but I just think some of the topics are interesting. However, I've yet to see her address "fashion on a budget" (perhaps because she doesn't worry about that) or the social justice issues associated with the fashion industry (perhaps because she doesn't care). I brought up the latter several times in the comments of one or two of her posts (as did some other commentators), but was ignored completely. Might have even been banninated, but I haven't tried commenting since.


Fuck me. If people pulled my ass out of the fire, I'd be gobsmacked with relief and gratitude and my concerns would be about cost/utility and not spitting on everyone who helped me. A genuine crisis is when your options are reduced to near zero and have nothing to do with whether "my stylishness be quirky, nerdy, witchy" with 2-3 hunnert dollar shoes. She just blithely showed her hairtrigger privilege-shaming howitzers point in every direction but her own.

Thanks a lot PlaySkool justice "warrior," for making the old charge of "limousine liberalism" something the rest of us on the left have to answer to.


The guy who writes 'the zingularity' begged for some Xmas money too, and then he went out and bought an Ipad or some shit. Disgusting!
Last edited by Lsuoma on Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Another Lurker fucked up the spoiler tags - fixing.
I am glad to have been exposed to this point of view, and appreciate the time you took to express it.
User avatar
another lurker
.
.
 
Posts: 1851
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:39 pm

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Mykeru » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:55 am  •  [Post 42278]

ReneeHendricks wrote:DAMN IT! I screwed up the spoiler.


Yeah, that's absolutely shocking...DERP!
"reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled" -- Richard P. Feynman
User avatar
Mykeru
.
.
 
Posts: 3681
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:52 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Eucliwood » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:57 am  •  [Post 42279]

Mykeru wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:DAMN IT! I screwed up the spoiler.


Yeah, that's absolutely shocking...DERP!


So how exactly do you screw up the spoiler tag? What happens?
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.
User avatar
Eucliwood
.
.
 
Posts: 508
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:25 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Tigzy » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:58 am  •  [Post 42280]

Mykeru wrote:That would be Simon Davis who goes by the engagingly ironic name of @SimonKnowz on Twitter.

He is, as you may imagine, a completely dishonest "agree or misogyny" kool-aid chugging little tit. His Twitter style is hit-and-run. He probably works with Hensley to false flag Twitter accounts critical of what I assume he imagines is DC's very own CFI power couple where she's a fucking idiot and he's a glorified event planner.


It's not unusual to stumble across an FTB blog post that's long past it's sell-by date, and discover one last, late snide comment from Melody's pet capauchin hanging at the bottom of the comment thread like a winnit.
"It should be noted that among the more alarming tendencies of those men who participate in train-spotters' groups, one will also find a complete disinclination to discuss feminism or women's issues."

Isobel Shed, feminist, 1959
User avatar
Tigzy
.
.
 
Posts: 3008
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:53 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby ReneeHendricks » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:00 am  •  [Post 42281]

Eucliwood wrote:
Mykeru wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:DAMN IT! I screwed up the spoiler.


Yeah, that's absolutely shocking...DERP!


So how exactly do you screw up the spoiler tag? What happens?


I put the end tag in the wrong spot (thereby having an end quote before the end spoiler - so: quote - spoiler - endquote - endspoiler).
Renee Kelly
----
Wine - when you're over 40 and tequila shots have kicked your ass.
User avatar
ReneeHendricks
.
.
 
Posts: 2114
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:48 am
Location: Kent, WA

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby jimthepleb » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:01 am  •  [Post 42282]

Pitchguest wrote:Who the hell is Simon on Michael Nugent's blog? Simon Singh? That's ... Hensley's husband, right?

I guess he Singhs to her tune, the goose-stepping harpy. *ducks*

As in the Simon Singh?
Author of several decent books, and the defendant in the Chiropracters lawlsuit here in the UK?
Fuck i hope not....
"Indolent hand wringers" Richard Dworkins describing the baboons. http://support.operationsmile.org/goto/reneehendricks
User avatar
jimthepleb
.
.
 
Posts: 706
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:54 pm
Location: you kay?

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby jimthepleb » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:03 am  •  [Post 42283]

Mykeru wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:Who the hell is Simon on Michael Nugent's blog? Simon Singh? That's ... Hensley's husband, right?

I guess he Singhs to her tune, the goose-stepping harpy. *ducks*


That would be Simon Davis who goes by the engagingly ironic name of @SimonKnowz on Twitter.

He is, as you may imagine, a completely dishonest "agree or misogyny" kool-aid chugging little tit. His Twitter style is hit-and-run. He probably works with Hensley to false flag Twitter accounts critical of what I assume he imagines is DC's very own CFI power couple where she's a fucking idiot and he's a glorified event planner.

Here's my latest exchange with this worm. Note he does a one-off Tweet and then hides:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

thank all the fucks for that...
He sucks ass, basically. That and he's so lacking in anything like actual size balls that he must cum like an eye-dropper.
"Indolent hand wringers" Richard Dworkins describing the baboons. http://support.operationsmile.org/goto/reneehendricks
User avatar
jimthepleb
.
.
 
Posts: 706
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:54 pm
Location: you kay?

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby TheMan » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:03 am  •  [Post 42284]

Tigzy wrote:Regarding the vegetarianism debate.

The only thing I really want to know is if a vegetarian's shit smells different from a normal person's.

Kudos to Michael Nugent for being clear about his error, btw.


My partner goes in and out of vegetariansim.... Both our shit stinks, mine might be a bit for sulphuric but I like how when she decides to become a vegetarian I have to become one by default. She even went through a stage where she couldn't stand the sight of meat so I had to eat out if I wanted meat. I had to employ white anting tactics to swing her back round for example after a couple of months of vegetarianism she had a light period so I told her because she lacked iron. another time I told her she was looking pale and can I fetch her an old WWII favourite - Vegemite & noodle soup so I can boost her B2 vitamin groups.

At least I don't have to cook separate meals after I have done the ironing or mopping the Lino floors.

She started Kundalini Yoga a couple of months ago so she's decided to cut out onions & garlic...there goes half my dinner planning. So tonight, after I bring in the washing off the line before it gets dark, I have to think of a tasty meal sans onion & garlic.

Burp...sorry I'm famished for some patriarcy. Anyone know a good recipe?
It looks like you have TheMan on your jumper....
User avatar
TheMan
.
.
 
Posts: 638
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:56 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia.

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Ape+lust » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:04 am  •  [Post 42285]

jimthepleb wrote:As in the Simon Singh?
Author of several decent books, and the defendant in the Chiropracters lawlsuit here in the UK?
Fuck i hope not....


Oh, hell no. THIS Simon:

Image
User avatar
Ape+lust
.
.
 
Posts: 1859
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:55 pm

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby ERV » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:05 am  •  [Post 42286]

BarnOwl wrote:
franc wrote:Michael Nugent reports in to his masters -


Pathetic. Photoshopping Nugent's head to the body of a toad would be insulting to amphibians.

Meanwhile, Greta "please donate money for my cancer surgery" is waxing lyrical about Fluevogs:

[spoiler]
The shoes are enormously comfortable. John Fluevog knows what he’s doing: the heels I have from him are easily the most comfortable heels I own, and these new babies are almost like sneakers. And they’re definitely stylish. Again — John Fluevog knows what he’s doing.
But they’re also very quirky. They’re stylish and expressive, but they’re not conventionally pretty. They’re more than a little bit nerdy, and way more than a little old-fashioned. The very name of the shoe is “Pilgrim” — not exactly the apotheosis of feminine grace and sophistication. They carry strong overtones of “Wicked Witch of the West.”
And I realized: Maybe that’s exactly what I needed to break this conundrum.
Maybe, if I want dressy, stylish, comfortable women’s shoes, I need to re-define what I mean by “stylish.” Maybe I need to let go of “conventionally pretty.” Maybe I need to let go of conventional femininity. Maybe I need to let myself be a little old-fashioned. Maybe I need to let my stylishness be quirky, nerdy, witchy.
(I also maybe need to spend somewhat more than I normally do on shoes. That’s something Ingrid kept reminding me of when I was griping about my conundrum: more-expensive, higher-quality shoes tend to be more comfortable, and longer-lasting, as well as prettier. But when I think of how many pairs of useless ballerina flats I’ve bought in my life — and the amount of money I’ve wasted on them — the math on this totally adds up.)
[/spoiler]

You know, I genuinely enjoy reading most of Greta's fashion posts - not that I am remotely fashionable in my attire, but I just think some of the topics are interesting. However, I've yet to see her address "fashion on a budget" (perhaps because she doesn't worry about that) or the social justice issues associated with the fashion industry (perhaps because she doesn't care). I brought up the latter several times in the comments of one or two of her posts (as did some other commentators), but was ignored completely. Might have even been banninated, but I haven't tried commenting since.

*vomit*
...
*blink*
...
**VOMIT**

At Greta 'The Grifter' Christina taking money from people for her 'cancer' and then spending it on exorbitantly priced shoes, but also the shoes.

They are not 'little bit nerdy, and way more than a little old-fashioned'. They are fucking ugly.
Image
You can get cute, comfortable, reasonably priced dessy shoes at Payless for $30 (-20% off coupons). Thats where us with unpayable medical bills buy our shoes (maybe once a year, maybe).

She bought these because she wanted some fucking expensive designer shoes and when people gave her shit about it she could BAAAAW about how she is SO UNCONVENTIONAL for buying them and she doesnt buy into what SOCIETY says is pretty!

Attention whore buys attention whore shoes.

**VOMIT**
User avatar
ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!
 
Posts: 1138
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:57 pm

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby cunt » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:06 am  •  [Post 42287]

To be fair to Greta, she only said she might give some of the excess money to charity.
You are a bad person. You say horrible things and you should feel bad about yourself.
User avatar
cunt
TheMudbrooker's Bitch
 
Posts: 2632
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:06 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby masakari2012 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:08 am  •  [Post 42288]

I have some disagreements with Noelplum99 on this video. I'll send him a message on youtube, as soon as I can find the relevant SkepticalAbyss links...

“I want to do whatever it takes to make sure that he [thunderf00t] is essentially drummed out of this movement, never invited to speak anywhere again and is forever a pariah.” - Ed Brayton
User avatar
masakari2012
.
.
 
Posts: 330
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:14 pm

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Tigzy » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:08 am  •  [Post 42289]

As any conversation gains traction, the probability of it being taken over by women who want to talk about shoes approaches 1
"It should be noted that among the more alarming tendencies of those men who participate in train-spotters' groups, one will also find a complete disinclination to discuss feminism or women's issues."

Isobel Shed, feminist, 1959
User avatar
Tigzy
.
.
 
Posts: 3008
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:53 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby ReneeHendricks » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:09 am  •  [Post 42290]

Mykeru wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:DAMN IT! I screwed up the spoiler.


Yeah, that's absolutely shocking...DERP!


LOL Fuck you!
Renee Kelly
----
Wine - when you're over 40 and tequila shots have kicked your ass.
User avatar
ReneeHendricks
.
.
 
Posts: 2114
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:48 am
Location: Kent, WA

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Lsuoma » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:10 am  •  [Post 42291]

I'm with Mykeru. THis thanks stuff is unwieldy, as ugly as fuck, and about as useless as a marzipan dildo.

It's difficult to tell before actually seeing it in action.

I'm going to disable it now, then back it out later.

I'll see if I can get a simple tag/bookmark/up-vote this post thing, so we can see highly-rated posts for later.
Call me old-fashioned, but I like a dump to be as memorable as it is devastating.
User avatar
Lsuoma
Fascist Tit
 
Posts: 4394
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:58 pm
Location: Pacific NW

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Dick Strawkins » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:11 am  •  [Post 42292]

Regarding Simon Davies (Simon Singh, as if!), I noticed on Melodys rather hilariously sad blog (a typical post being http://melodyhensley.tumblr.com/post/38235529930/atheistfeminism ) that Simon is working on producing an online history of women in secularism.
http://www.tiki-toki.com/timeline/entry/82972/Women-in-the-new-secular-movement#vars!date=2010-09-24_01:13:13!

Apparently women began to get interested in secularism at approximately 1.00 AM on the 24th of September 2010
Unfortunately they didn't DO anything until November that year when Monica Shore wrote an article for Ms magazine (yes, we are at that level)
This was followed up by Jen McCreight ( or was it Madeleine O Hair? - that's the picture Davies used!) commenting on the article.
Obviously this took a lot of effort because it wasn't until April fools day 2011 that the next effort was made - appropriately enough by Melody herself, who began planning the CFI 'Women in Secularism' conference.
Next up was an article in (wait for it...) 'Bitch' magazine (for some reason I seem to be picturing Simon Davies writing that word while recuperating on his fainting couch)
This prompts comments on the 'ask an atheist' site from Paula Kirby and Ophelia Benson.
Kirbys reply was as you would expect but Ophelia's should probably be read again in the light of her subsequent behavior.

The question was:
"what are some strategies that new atheism could employ to get more women on board, or to raise the visibility of women atheists who are already out there?"
Ophelia's reply?

I think the main strategy new atheists can use to raise the visibility of women atheists is simply to be women and keep arguing, talking, writing, posting, rabble-rousing, and making jokes. We’re doing that. Paula Kirby does it, Susan Jacoby does it, Greta Christina does it, Jen McCreight does it, Ayaan Hirsi Ali does it. Also Polly Toynbee, Katha Pollitt, Sikivu Hutchinson, Joan Smith, Maryam Namazie, Wendy Kaminer, Rebecca Watson, and many many more.


While it is rather difficult for some of us "to be women" I think the slymepit is doing a pretty good job of "arguing, talking, writing, posting, rabble-rousing, and making jokes."

Thanks for the advice Ophelia, we'll keep on with your suggestion!

As for the rest of the history, you can probably guess.
The Slymepit gets a mention although, as you might guess, Davies :liar: isn't exactly enamored with the idea of sticking to the truth:

SlymePit forum launches

Citing updated commenting policies at Scienceblogs, the forum Slymepit.com is launched to host the comment thread at SA "Abbie" Smith's blog re:Watson that was still on-going for the past year with tens of thousands of unmoderated comments in a single thread known as "the slime pit".

As of December 28, 2012 the forum has 432 registered users.

The forum's original tag line would be "Better than a **** in the ****!" in reference to a comment about kicking Ophelia Benson "in the cunt".

The forum maintains the unfiltered and unmoderated comment thread that preceded it and features frequent sexist and misogynistic remarks primarily about Rebecca Watson, Ophelia Benson, and Stephanie Zvan as well as other male and female atheists. FreethoughtBlogs contributors are referred to a "baboons" and many of the participants in the forum also blog or comment on "men's rights" sites such as AVoiceForMen.com.


There is, however some good news from Davies timeline:

Apparently Davies, seeing himself as the baboon version of Harold Camping, has figured out when it's all going to end!
The date and time, I can now reveal is 14.00 on the afternoon of the 24th of June 2013.

Coming two weeks before TAM 2013 I think we can safely assume this is the ultimate revenge for the Surly Amy T-shirt outrage.

(Mind you, considering that he's married to Hensley, the annihilation of all life on Earth due to the coming apocalypse with his own release into the cold embrace of death might just be wishful thinking on his part)
PZ Myers: "Hypocrisy is a bitch, isn't it?"
User avatar
Dick Strawkins
.
.
 
Posts: 4154
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:34 pm

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby ReneeHendricks » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:12 am  •  [Post 42293]

Thanks for the fix, Lsuoma!
Renee Kelly
----
Wine - when you're over 40 and tequila shots have kicked your ass.
User avatar
ReneeHendricks
.
.
 
Posts: 2114
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:48 am
Location: Kent, WA

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby acathode » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:13 am  •  [Post 42294]

Is it possible to make the "These users thanked ..." a bit more discrete? It really looks strange atm, 3 short lines centered under the signature seem misplaced, looks a bit like a badly placed ad or something, rather than something that's part of the site (my first reaction was to start looking if my adblocker was broken).

I'd suggest just making it into one line, something like "<NN> users has thanked <Poster> for this post (expand)" (where expand shows the names), and left-aligned instead of centered. That's how I've seen it done on other sites using similar features...

Also, something is seriously fucked up with the spoilers tags, seems they've resulted in one to many </tags> or something, as I'm getting half of the thread in the scrollbox, and the rest outside when previewing my post in the post editor.
User avatar
acathode
.
.
 
Posts: 559
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:46 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby LMU » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:15 am  •  [Post 42295]

JackRayner wrote:
another lurker wrote:Jesus fucking christ

http://www.polygon.com/2013/1/2/3828182 ... lent-video

a small community about 30 miles from the site of the Newtown massacre is organizing a voluntary video game return program, aimed at collecting violent video games from families and likely burning them.

The Violent Video Games Return Program offers up gift certificates in exchange for violent games, music and movies turned in during an event later this month.

The collected items will then be broken and later incinerated by town employees.


well, thank god they are getting to the root of the problem!


Shit! They're even throwing music in there?! Image

*sigh*...people. Everytime shit like this is done, it reminds me of this video. [If you don't like rap, the first 36 seconds is free of it, and gets the whole point across.]

[spoiler][/spoiler]


"Compton was a nature preserve for bunny rabbits!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUSEX ... 18I#t=276s
"Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes."
Charitable interpretation of Elevator Guy.
"They" pronouns please.
User avatar
LMU
.
.
 
Posts: 617
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:40 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Lsuoma » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:16 am  •  [Post 42296]

Thanks BS is gone.
Call me old-fashioned, but I like a dump to be as memorable as it is devastating.
User avatar
Lsuoma
Fascist Tit
 
Posts: 4394
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:58 pm
Location: Pacific NW

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Eucliwood » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:16 am  •  [Post 42297]

Dick Strawkins wrote:
FreethoughtBlogs contributors are referred to a "baboons" and many of the participants in the forum also blog or comment on "men's rights" sites such as AVoiceForMen.com.



Wait, what? Who here actually comments there anyway? PLEASE link me to this shit so I can ask the writer himself.
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.
User avatar
Eucliwood
.
.
 
Posts: 508
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:25 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Mykeru » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:18 am  •  [Post 42298]

ReneeHendricks wrote:
Eucliwood wrote:
Mykeru wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:DAMN IT! I screwed up the spoiler.


Yeah, that's absolutely shocking...DERP!


So how exactly do you screw up the spoiler tag? What happens?


I put the end tag in the wrong spot (thereby having an end quote before the end spoiler - so: quote - spoiler - endquote - endspoiler).


You want to have the spoiler tags, like all tags, properly nested. If you have a quote /quote you don't interrupt that tag beginning and ending, so the proper spoiler use is spoiler quote /quote /spoiler.

Stick the spoiler in another tag, spoiler quote /spoiler /quote, you are interrupting that tag and the spoiler tag and things go full fuck up.

So

1. Pay attention to the beginning and end of tags. Don't stick a tag in the middle of another tag in a way that it truncates the end brackets

2. Use the preview function before you post anything

3. Don't be Renee. This is probably the most important.
"reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled" -- Richard P. Feynman
User avatar
Mykeru
.
.
 
Posts: 3681
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:52 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Skep tickle » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:21 am  •  [Post 42299]

Lsuoma wrote:Thanks BS is gone.

Thank you! **HUG** :mrgreen:
User avatar
Skep tickle
.
.
 
Posts: 2462
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:04 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Eucliwood » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:21 am  •  [Post 42300]

Lsuoma wrote:Thanks BS is gone.


Lsuoma can you run a poll? Like, with things like "Supports/Praises AVfM" "Comments on it (does not praise it, just like commenting on FtB isn't the same as supporting)" "Does not comment on AVfM"

So I have something to link to that guy? Cos he's acting like "many" here support or praise AVfM. Idk much about it but to his readers they're asshole misogynists, so I would not like this forum to be tied with AVfM, as if we're just a bunch of AVfM-ers at some place new called SlymePit.

Please. Please. Please.
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.
User avatar
Eucliwood
.
.
 
Posts: 508
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:25 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Waterkant » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:23 am  •  [Post 42301]

Pitchguest wrote:Who the hell is Simon on Michael Nugent's blog? Simon Singh? That's ... Hensley's husband, right?

I guess he Singhs to her tune, the goose-stepping harpy. *ducks*

Simon Singh is an incredibly decent person. No relationship there at all.
User avatar
Waterkant
 

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby jjbinx007 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:23 am  •  [Post 42302]

Dick Strawkins wrote:Regarding Simon Davies (Simon Singh, as if!), I noticed on Melodys rather hilariously sad blog (a typical post being http://melodyhensley.tumblr.com/post/38235529930/atheistfeminism ) that Simon is working on producing an online history of women in secularism.


From that link:

Now atheist feminism has a new enemy and it’s mostly secular: The Men’s Rights Movement.


WHY? WHY IS IT THE ENEMY? For fuck's fucking sake.
User avatar
jjbinx007
.
.
 
Posts: 361
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:16 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby rocko2466 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:24 am  •  [Post 42303]

[spoiler]I'm concerned about the accusations of people engaging in criminal activity by EBW. This is a bit further than (what I've seen) against others as it's just been 'harassment, bullying and jerky-faceness'. If I was less of a jerky-face, I may have backed out of any participation in the community waiting for a knock on the door from the state police and the cyber police. And we need to welcome more people in, not only allowing them in if they are either (a) a jerky-face or (b) wholly in agreement with FtB, A+ and Skepchick on everything.

I also blogged the comments by EllenBeth that I engaged in criminal activity by receiving tweets if anyone wants to read them - as I suspect they'll be deleted. (Sorry for being a blog whore - (http://unsolicitedcomment.wordpress.com/2013/01/04/nugent-a-bumblebee-and-a-new-acquaintance/))[/spoiler])

And fuck all y'all: [spoiler]learn how to nest your fucking spoilers, you fucking fucks[/spoiler].
User avatar
rocko2466
.
.
 
Posts: 707
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:56 pm

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Skep tickle » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:26 am  •  [Post 42304]

Quick correction to Darren's drunken commentary a few pages back:
Darren wrote:Oops, I mis-spelled "Schweigert". There's not supposed to be a '3' in there.


Rusty Schweickart left NASA before Apollo 13, was doing stuff in public policy around science/technology at that time. The astronaut on Apollo 13 who died 12 yrs later of cancer was Jack Swigert.
User avatar
Skep tickle
.
.
 
Posts: 2462
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:04 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby rocko2466 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:26 am  •  [Post 42305]

Aw fuck [spoiler]I left a fucking bracket out of one of my spoilers.[/spoiler]

[spoiled-spoiler] this spoiler won't work [/spoiled-spoiler]
User avatar
rocko2466
.
.
 
Posts: 707
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:56 pm

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Skep tickle » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:28 am  •  [Post 42306]

Eucliwood wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:Thanks BS is gone.


Lsuoma can you run a poll? <snip>

Please. Please. Please.

Eucli, maybe do a little homework first, hey? http://slymepit.com/phpbb/faq.php#f2r3
User avatar
Skep tickle
.
.
 
Posts: 2462
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:04 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby welch » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:30 am  •  [Post 42307]

Ellenbeth, the gift that keeps on giving:

Michael @38:

So, if a group of people started false-flagging all the CFI/FTB/Skepchicks videos because of personal animosity towards those groups or the people within those groups, you'd have no problem with that, since after all:

Flagging is an example of freedom of expression in action, not a denial of freedom of expression. I have the right to publish a video on YouTube, you have the right to tell YouTube that you want them to examine if it fits with their rules.


and if it happened that enough people flagged those channels and YT took them down, you'd be perfectly okay with that, since that's how the service works.

Pardon my doubts on that. I think you'd be rather put out by such an action, and rightfully so. But, what's good for the goose is good for the gander, etc., yadda.

Ellenbeth @39:

MZ wachs...

@Za-zen No it wasn’t merely my assertion. It was from Mr. Welch’s own post. Please go back and see. And it is your own assertion now that I dislike Mr. Welch as I actually am unaware of having ever met the man. I can say I dislike what I have read of his very much.


So the fact I didn't initially subscribe to the comment notification feed shows...only that I'm lazy. The fact I wasn't monitoring this post, (but now am, you're most entertaining), is in your world, a sign of some deep ...something. Well, <i>derp</i> something for sure. I made a post before michael's retraction. The fact I didn't IMMEDIATELY post after said retraction doesn't change the time stamps to make you right.

Note, there is in fact a difference between "before" and "after", here a helpful video which illustrates this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGAalNtkGFE

your statements are kind of like saying that if I cut myself shaving, because the cut healed over cleanly with no scar, I never cut myself. Well, no, I still cut myself, I just healed up. Just because I didn't post an acknowledgement of michael's retraction on your schedule doesn't change the fact that my initial statement was posted BEFORE his retraction. Really.

But you are correct. I wouldn’t consider Mr. Welch as a contributor to my conference. We are a humanist organization. For some odd reason, I really don’t see that someone calling people “New Media Douchebags” is very humanistic.


You had little to worry about. Although I'd point out that deciding someone is good or bad based on the use of "douchebag" is not only not humanistic, but hardly intellectually honest either.
If you're going to ignore me, then actually do it. But that does require some work. So you probably won't do it right.
User avatar
welch
.
.
 
Posts: 7157
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:05 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Eucliwood » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:31 am  •  [Post 42308]

rocko2466 wrote:Aw fuck [spoiler]I left a fucking bracket out of one of my spoilers.[/spoiler]

[spoiled-spoiler] this spoiler won't work [/spoiled-spoiler]


[spoiler]Warning: Offensive Comment Coming Up - Wow, are you serious? How hard is it to nest something in spoilers? I have an IQ tone if that'll help. Who wants em? Maybe a spoiler tagging class?[/spoiler]
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.
User avatar
Eucliwood
.
.
 
Posts: 508
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:25 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby masakari2012 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:32 am  •  [Post 42309]

Skep tickle wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:Thanks BS is gone.

Thank you! **HUG** :mrgreen:


It's "Hugs, if you want them"! I am offended by hugs :violin: .... even on teh interwebz... and especially from women, since I am a misogynist :twisted:
“I want to do whatever it takes to make sure that he [thunderf00t] is essentially drummed out of this movement, never invited to speak anywhere again and is forever a pariah.” - Ed Brayton
User avatar
masakari2012
.
.
 
Posts: 330
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:14 pm

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Remick » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:32 am  •  [Post 42310]

Things seem to be getting even crazier lately... Every time I watch one of the baboon's videos or read one of their posts, it feels like I am watching this:

Remick
.
.
 
Posts: 311
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:47 pm

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby comslave » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:33 am  •  [Post 42311]

franc wrote:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

You've just ruined sex forever.
Sometimes a cup of coffee is just a cup of coffee.
User avatar
comslave
.
.
 
Posts: 374
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:30 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Lsuoma » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:34 am  •  [Post 42312]

[quote="Mykeru"
3. Don't be Renee. This is probably the most important.[/quote]
I totes wish I could thank you for this post...
Call me old-fashioned, but I like a dump to be as memorable as it is devastating.
User avatar
Lsuoma
Fascist Tit
 
Posts: 4394
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:58 pm
Location: Pacific NW

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Scented Nectar » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:37 am  •  [Post 42313]

TheMan wrote:
Tigzy wrote:Regarding the vegetarianism debate.

The only thing I really want to know is if a vegetarian's shit smells different from a normal person's.

Kudos to Michael Nugent for being clear about his error, btw.


My partner goes in and out of vegetariansim.... Both our shit stinks, mine might be a bit for sulphuric but I like how when she decides to become a vegetarian I have to become one by default. She even went through a stage where she couldn't stand the sight of meat so I had to eat out if I wanted meat. I had to employ white anting tactics to swing her back round for example after a couple of months of vegetarianism she had a light period so I told her because she lacked iron. another time I told her she was looking pale and can I fetch her an old WWII favourite - Vegemite & noodle soup so I can boost her B2 vitamin groups.

At least I don't have to cook separate meals after I have done the ironing or mopping the Lino floors.

She started Kundalini Yoga a couple of months ago so she's decided to cut out onions & garlic...there goes half my dinner planning. So tonight, after I bring in the washing off the line before it gets dark, I have to think of a tasty meal sans onion & garlic.

Burp...sorry I'm famished for some patriarcy. Anyone know a good recipe?

I'd worry about what that yoga place is teaching her. Some eastern style new agey types believe that onion and garlic will bring about too many animalistic urges (read: sexual desires). They may be teaching her that she should lessen the sex and other pleasant physical things in her life and to focus on the mind and yoga-style spirituality instead.

Then again, jainism styled believers may tell her that eating root vegetables kills the plant, so one must only eat plant foods that leave the plant alive (like fruits and seeds). That would rule out onions and garlic. But also potatoes, carrots, etc. If she's only getting rid of onion and garlic, it's more likely the anti-sexual/hedonism crap.

Yoga's not just an exercise set. It usually comes with wild health claims, 'state of mind' nonsense, and even outright magical thinking spirituality stuff.

Holy crap! Her type is kookier than I realized. It's on this wiki page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kundalini_Yoga

It doesn't mention garlic and onions, but maybe her swami incorporates that from somewhere else, or maybe it's part of hinduism, which yoga is based on.
User avatar
Scented Nectar
.
.
 
Posts: 2265
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:45 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Eucliwood » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:38 am  •  [Post 42314]

[spoiler]
Lsuoma wrote:(quote="Mykeru"
3. Don't be Renee. This is probably the most important.[/quote)
I totes wish I could thank you for this post...
[/spoiler]

[spoiler]
Seriously? That was so fail I had to cover it up. YOU can't even do tags right? What the FUCK. I've picked up how to tags now & I've been here a short while.
[/spoiler]

(I had to replace the bracket with the parenthesis to make it show up as rightly fail)
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.
User avatar
Eucliwood
.
.
 
Posts: 508
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:25 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby codelette » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:38 am  •  [Post 42315]

For such an anti-patriarchal warrior, Melody Hensley seems pretty enthralled with the institution of marriage...
User avatar
codelette
.
.
 
Posts: 770
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:01 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Periodic Table of Swearing - The Undead Thread

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Karmakin, Linus, Suet Cardigan, Za-zen and 16 guests