Fuck off, Jamie!

Shatterface
BPE - Aleph 1
BPE - Aleph 1
Posts: 5898
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:05 pm

Fuck off, Jamie!

#1

Post by Shatterface » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:43 pm

dogen wrote: This witty exchange makes me realize that, apart from 'I have no mouth...', I haven't read any Harlan Ellison. What good stories should I be looking out for?
He was a short story writer rather than a novelist and there's some overlap in his collections so the same story might pop in several. They're cheep on Kindle though.

Apart from the stories already parodied above (I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream, Repent Harlequin Said the Tick-Tock Man, A Boy and His Dog) my favourite is Deathbird.

That's partly a retelling of the Garden of Eden story from the point of view of the Serpent and despite being very short covers a lot of themes including euthanasia and the loss of a pet.

I'd love to hear Peterson talk about it.

InfraRedBucket
BPEx2
BPEx2
Posts: 1103
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:30 pm

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#2

Post by InfraRedBucket » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:53 am

Meanwhile in North Britain:
Nicola Sturgeon’s judgement has been called into question after she appointed a new education minister despite knowing she had previously ridiculed transgender students.

The First Minister was forced into a humiliating U-turn amid widespread outcry over blogs written by SNP MSP Gillian Martin before she entered politics.

In one post, Ms Martin mocked efforts to promote transgender rights, and made reference to “hairy knuckled lipstick-wearing transitional transgender Laydees”.
http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/1632 ... log-posts/

feathers
BPE - Infinite
BPE - Infinite
Posts: 6100
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:12 am

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#3

Post by feathers » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:27 am

Steersman wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:52 pm
But, in related news, I've been having a bit of a "spirited" (not religious ...) conversation with Richard Carrier - AKA Sticky Dicky - on a post of his - How the Right and the Left Nuked Atheism Plus
A conversation between Steers and Carrier...

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/imag ... 6CRvlE5Csg


ThreeFlangedJavis
.
.
Posts: 1034
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:13 am

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#5

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:16 am

In for a penny as they say. Might as well let the cat out of the bag and reveal my print media hating conspiracy theorising loon side.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_oV77XH0Lw

Shatterface
BPE - Aleph 1
BPE - Aleph 1
Posts: 5898
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:05 pm

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#6

Post by Shatterface » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:13 am

InfraRedBucket wrote: Meanwhile in North Britain:
Nicola Sturgeon’s judgement has been called into question after she appointed a new education minister despite knowing she had previously ridiculed transgender students.

The First Minister was forced into a humiliating U-turn amid widespread outcry over blogs written by SNP MSP Gillian Martin before she entered politics.

In one post, Ms Martin mocked efforts to promote transgender rights, and made reference to “hairy knuckled lipstick-wearing transitional transgender Laydees”.
http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/1632 ... log-posts/
So Muscato's reputation has made it north of Hadrian's Wall?

Shatterface
BPE - Aleph 1
BPE - Aleph 1
Posts: 5898
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:05 pm

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#7

Post by Shatterface » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:16 am

Go on, you know you want to...
Gender Identity Disorder Self Test

The Gender Identity Disorder Self Test is a quick and easy way to test yourself for Gender Identity Disorder. Once you know your Gender Identity Disorder Self Test results, we'll help you take appropriate steps.
http://www.ietherapy.com/gender-identit ... f-test.php

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master
Posts: 6607
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:53 am

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#8

Post by Tigzy » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:20 am

dogen wrote: This witty exchange makes me realize that, apart from 'I have no mouth...', I haven't read any Harlan Ellison. What good stories should I be looking out for?
Croatoan, from his collection Strange Wine. A chap's girlfriend has recently had an abortion, which leaves her a bit unhinged - to the point that she flips out and demands he go into the sewers to find the flushed away foetus. In order to placate her, the chap does just that, and finds...well, let's just say it's haunting, astonishing and infused with the bleakest, blackest humour. One of the best short stories I've ever read. In fact, all the stories in Strange Wine are bloody excellent, and it's the anthology I'd recommend for anyone curious about Ellison's work.

Shatterface
BPE - Aleph 1
BPE - Aleph 1
Posts: 5898
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:05 pm

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#9

Post by Shatterface » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:44 am

Took the test and -phew - I'm all male. The only answers that would hint towards transgenderism are those about social interaction - which, being ASD, I'd associate with my 'extreme male brain' rather than being dissatisfied with my gender.

Although I am curious about female genitals (and satisfy this curiosity as much as possible) and any dissatisfaction with my genitals would relate to their size and the fact that I could probably find a use for a spare.

feathers
BPE - Infinite
BPE - Infinite
Posts: 6100
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:12 am

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#10

Post by feathers » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:03 am

Taking to Twitter, Trump fired back by calling Waters “an extraordinarily low IQ person” and warning her to “be careful what you wish for.”
Whatever his faults are, that is definitely true.

Driftless
.
.
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:13 am

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#11

Post by Driftless » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:09 am

dogen wrote:
This witty exchange makes me realize that, apart from 'I have no mouth...', I haven't read any Harlan Ellison. What good stories should I be looking out for?
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the best: The City on the Edge of Forever :D

Shatterface
BPE - Aleph 1
BPE - Aleph 1
Posts: 5898
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:05 pm

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#12

Post by Shatterface » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:23 am

Driftless wrote:
dogen wrote:
This witty exchange makes me realize that, apart from 'I have no mouth...', I haven't read any Harlan Ellison. What good stories should I be looking out for?
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the best: The City on the Edge of Forever :D
There's a graphic novel adaptation that's closer to the script. There's also a graphic novel of the Two-Face script he wrote for the Adam West Batman.

Shatterface
BPE - Aleph 1
BPE - Aleph 1
Posts: 5898
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:05 pm

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#13

Post by Shatterface » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:24 am

Meant to add the Batman episode was never made.

dogen
Best Post Evah!!!
Best Post Evah!!!
Posts: 2547
Joined: Fri May 17, 2013 1:06 pm

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#14

Post by dogen » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:03 am

Shatterface wrote:
Driftless wrote:
dogen wrote:
This witty exchange makes me realize that, apart from 'I have no mouth...', I haven't read any Harlan Ellison. What good stories should I be looking out for?
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the best: The City on the Edge of Forever :D
There's a graphic novel adaptation that's closer to the script. There's also a graphic novel of the Two-Face script he wrote for the Adam West Batman.
Driftless wrote:
dogen wrote:
This witty exchange makes me realize that, apart from 'I have no mouth...', I haven't read any Harlan Ellison. What good stories should I be looking out for?
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the best: The City on the Edge of Forever :D
Reading the plot summary for City on the Edge of Forever, it reminded me of a DS9 episode where the crew travel back in time to a pivotal point in Earth's future history, and have to ensure some riots take place and someone dies, in order to avoid altering the future. I'm now guessing that this DS9 episode was a remake of City...?

Matt Cavanaugh
BPEx2
BPEx2
Posts: 11229
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:38 pm
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#15

Post by Matt Cavanaugh » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:19 am

Shatterface wrote: Took the test and -phew - I'm all male.
I took the test and I'm a blanket Appaloosa. Who knew.

MarcusAu
BPEx3
BPEx3
Posts: 5670
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:49 am
Location: Llareggub

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#16

Post by MarcusAu » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:21 am

Ellison did a story with a similar theme for 'The Outer Limits'. ie a soldier traveling back in time to prevent a war. If I recall correctly he later sued the makers of 'The Terminator' for plagiarizing his story.

He also had a long standing feud (well, with just about everyone) but with British SF Writer Christopher Priest in particular - based on Priest's comments about the time taken for one of the 'Dangerous Visions' anthologies to come out. Which makes me wonder if American comics writer Jim Owlsley had second thoughts after changing his name to 'Christopher Priest'.

Ellison seems to have have been a stubborn, talented and complicated guy.

There was a recent documentary about him (now 10 years old!) called 'Dreams with Sharp Teeth' if anyone is interested.

BoxNDox
Best Post Evah!!!
Best Post Evah!!!
Posts: 462
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:24 pm

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#17

Post by BoxNDox » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:21 am

screwtape wrote: Jamieson's
If you haven't already, try Jamieson's Caskmates - it's finished in beer barrels. Around here it's available at Trader Joes and the price is usually reasonable.

Matt Cavanaugh
BPEx2
BPEx2
Posts: 11229
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:38 pm
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#18

Post by Matt Cavanaugh » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:36 am

InfraRedBucket wrote: Meanwhile in North Britain:
Nicola Sturgeon’s judgement has been called into question after she appointed a new education minister despite knowing she had previously ridiculed transgender students.

The First Minister was forced into a humiliating U-turn amid widespread outcry over blogs written by SNP MSP Gillian Martin before she entered politics.

In one post, Ms Martin mocked efforts to promote transgender rights, and made reference to “hairy knuckled lipstick-wearing transitional transgender Laydees”.
http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/1632 ... log-posts/
She ... claimed college public relations staff “froth at the mouth with excitement if anyone in a wheelchair does anything that can be remotely described as an achievement”.
In the 2007 post, she wrote that black colleagues she had worked with at a New Orleans restaurant had said American Jews “tip ok but only if you’ve absolutely busted your hump and everything was faultless in the extreme”.

“American blacks”, the waiters had claimed, “don’t tip at all or tip next to nothing – to be avoided.”
This is all true. Even blacks admit they are shitty tippers.

MarcusAu
BPEx3
BPEx3
Posts: 5670
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:49 am
Location: Llareggub

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#19

Post by MarcusAu » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:37 am

Try Johnny Walker or Loch Lomond if that is not available...

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/tin ... 1228104528

BoxNDox
Best Post Evah!!!
Best Post Evah!!!
Posts: 462
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:24 pm

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#20

Post by BoxNDox » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:41 am

katamari Damassi wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:58 pm
Hey remember Cynthia Nixon of Sex and the City? Me neither, but she's running for New York governor and has a trans son.

https://i.imgur.com/8Irgb47.jpg

Seeing this pic makes me reconsider my stand against forcible sterilization.
As I recall, she played the lawyer - badly. Which of course means she's imminently qualified to be governor.

comhcinc
.
.
Posts: 10751
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:59 am
Location: from Parts Unknown
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#21

Post by comhcinc » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:51 am

BoxNDox wrote:

As I recall, she played the lawyer - badly. Which of course means she's imminently qualified to be governor.
She has at least as much experience as the Arnold (and who knows how many/what kind of kids he has) and for the most part, he did okay.

And it's not like you have to have experience or knowledge of how our system works to hold high office anymore.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit
Posts: 9913
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:58 pm
Location: Punggye-ri

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#22

Post by Lsuoma » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:04 am

Interesting essay on "threat conservation":

https://theconversation.com/why-your-br ... find-98990

TL;DR - if your environment gets safer, you start creating new threats.

DrokkIt
BPEx2
BPEx2
Posts: 1275
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:01 pm
Location: Brit-Cit

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#23

Post by DrokkIt » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:38 am

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Shatterface wrote: Took the test and -phew - I'm all male.
I took the test and I'm a blanket Appaloosa. Who knew.
I took the test and it's simply confirmed that which I have felt for a long time.
Henceforth you must all refer to me As Drokkette.

Shatterface
BPE - Aleph 1
BPE - Aleph 1
Posts: 5898
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:05 pm

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#24

Post by Shatterface » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:46 am

Lsuoma wrote: Interesting essay on "threat conservation":

https://theconversation.com/why-your-br ... find-98990

TL;DR - if your environment gets safer, you start creating new threats.
A few years back I proposed the 'conservation of taboo'. As soon as you liberate one thing - blasphemy, saying 'fuck' on TV, or hardcore sex in mainstream movies - another taboo will spring up for something else so the amount of taboo remains constant.

The perception of threat seems to be similar. We are hardwired to expect to be eaten by tigers and that expectation of impending doom has to go somewhere.

BoxNDox
Best Post Evah!!!
Best Post Evah!!!
Posts: 462
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:24 pm

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#25

Post by BoxNDox » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:55 am

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:15 pm
Shatterface wrote: In a certain light he could be mistaken for a woman. That light being a laser pen in your eyes.
Okay, that one was worth putting up with you PMSing for the past two weeks.
My thoughts exactly.

BoxNDox
Best Post Evah!!!
Best Post Evah!!!
Posts: 462
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:24 pm

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#26

Post by BoxNDox » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:08 am

Brive1987 wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:11 pm
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote: I'm sure that the immigrants he has been shouting support for are very happy to have Meyers's support.

Smashing the system, one margarita at a time.

https://i.imgur.com/yifttDC.png
Should white chefs sell burritos? A Portland food cart’s revealing controversy.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/foo ... 942e0cbf7c

https://thepicturesmakemyheadhurt.files ... spirit.jpg
The sooner Portland vanishes up its own asshole of self-righteousness the better.

Shatterface
BPE - Aleph 1
BPE - Aleph 1
Posts: 5898
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:05 pm

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#27

Post by Shatterface » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:12 am

Headlines you thought you'd never see Part 352:

Danny Dyer is wrong about Brexit

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2018/06/d ... ut-brexit/

BoxNDox
Best Post Evah!!!
Best Post Evah!!!
Posts: 462
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:24 pm

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#28

Post by BoxNDox » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:19 am

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:10 pm
Sometimes I really hate being fucking Cassandra.

Americans blame law-breaking parents, not Trump, for border separation
Yep, called this one myself and got yelled at for it, although I didn't expect the swing to be quite this big.

It's actually pretty fucking obvious when Haidt's moral foundations theory into account.

Shatterface
BPE - Aleph 1
BPE - Aleph 1
Posts: 5898
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:05 pm

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#29

Post by Shatterface » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:37 am

Cops Arrested a Black Man. He Called Them Nazis, So He Was Charged With a Hate Crime.

"This is not what the hate crime statute was for. This is criminalizing pure speech, and that violates the First Amendment."

Police officers in Crafton, Pennsylvania, arrested a 52-year-old black man, Robbie Sanderson, for shoplifting at a CVS in September of 2016. He called them Nazis, skinheads, and Gestapo as they cuffed him.

Because of those epithets, Sanderson was charged with "ethnic intimidation." Insulting the officers in such terms was an anti-white hate crime, from the perspective of the authorities. Sanderson had made bias-motivated "terroristic threats," they claimed. The alleged motivation increased the seriousness of Sanderson's crime from a first-degree misdemeanor to a third-degree felony.

That's according to The Appeal's Joshua Vaughn, who reports that Pennsylvania residents were charged with hate crimes for making offensive statements to police at least three other times. In each of these cases, including Sanderson's, the hate crime charges were eventually dropped. But the threat of a hate crime conviction can still hurt. Defendants might plead guilty to other offenses, for instance, if prosecutors agree to drop a hate crime charge.

In any case, it's absurd to think that the crime of "ethnic intimidation" was meant to include citizens who angrily rant at cops who are arresting them. "This is not what the hate crime statute was for," says the ACLU's Mary Catherine Roper. "This is criminalizing pure speech and that violates the First Amendment."

Making racially biased remarks isn't against the law. Rather, hate crime provisions enhance the penalties for offenses such as vandalism, assault, and, yes, terroristic threats. A man who beats up his neighbor might be guilty of assault, but a man who beats up his neighbor because the neighbor is black could be guilty of ethnic intimidation. Merely shouting at the cops during the course of an arrest shouldn't count.

The cases highlighted by The Appeal present good evidence that we ought to be skeptical of hate crime laws. Although intended to protect the underprivileged from bigotry and racism, they often permit the government to quell speech that is critical of authority. In my recent testimony before the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights, I noted examples from outside the U.S. where stricter prohibitions of hate crime and hate speech empowered the government to arrest people for telling harmless jokes or sharing inappropriate lyrics.

Yet one Pennsylvania news source, Pennlive.com, is concerned that Pennsylvania is too quick to drop hate crime charges:

Police logs across the state are filled with scores of similar incidents—ones in which a bias against someone's race, ethnicity or religion are noted in the crime report. But whether it's a failure of police to file hate-crime charges or the chargers become the go-to bargaining chip in a plea deal, these so-called hate crimes seldom make it into state crime statistics.

As a result, Pennsylvania, a state of 12.7 million, continues to have a chronically low annual reporting rate of hate crimes to the FBI.

As an example of the kind of thing that should be prosecuted as a hate crime, Pennlive.com's editorial board recalled a 2016 incident involving a white teenager who made cruel, racist remarks about a black kid and "shared the result of his disgusting handiwork to Snapchat." The teenager was charged with cyber-bullying and harassment, but the authorities didn't immediately think to add a hate crime charge.

Should hate crime enhancements apply in a case where the underlying crime was itself a matter of speech? Prosecuting more hate crimes in Pennsylvania would indeed generate more reports of such offenses. But that wouldn't tell us whether hate crimes were actually increasing or decreasing, especially if the numbers merely reflect harsher treatment of teenagers who make mean videos and people who shout epithets at cops.

The best point against hate crime laws is the one raised by Commissioner Peter Kirsanow during the hearing I attended:

He directed his questions to all of us, and invited anyone who possessed the information to answer.

"Are you aware of any data, studies, or other evidence, that shows designating a crime a hate crime deters, prevents, or reduces that crime, and second, whether designating a crime a federal hate crime reduces, deters, or prevents incidents of that crime?" he asked.

Neither I nor any of the other panelists were aware of such information, and so the panel fell silent.

Kirsanow continued. "Then, one other question: are you aware of any databases, study, or other evidence that shows designating a crime a hate crime, whether a municipal, federal, or state crime, assists in the resolution of that crime or the apprehension of the perpetrator?" he asked.

Again, silence.

"Thank you, Madame Chair," he said, yielding the floor.
http://reason.com/blog/2018/06/29/hate- ... -black-man

Matt Cavanaugh
BPEx2
BPEx2
Posts: 11229
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:38 pm
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#30

Post by Matt Cavanaugh » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:40 am

Shatterface wrote:
Lsuoma wrote: Interesting essay on "threat conservation":

https://theconversation.com/why-your-br ... find-98990

TL;DR - if your environment gets safer, you start creating new threats.
A few years back I proposed the 'conservation of taboo'. As soon as you liberate one thing - blasphemy, saying 'fuck' on TV, or hardcore sex in mainstream movies - another taboo will spring up for something else so the amount of taboo remains constant.

The perception of threat seems to be similar. We are hardwired to expect to be eaten by tigers and that expectation of impending doom has to go somewhere.
ever see Cold Lazarus set in a dystopian future where everyone cusses like stable boys saying fuck and cunt and dick , but sex itself is considered repulsive?

Kirbmarc
Trolling FTW
Trolling FTW
Posts: 9707
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:29 am

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#31

Post by Kirbmarc » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:47 am

Shatterface wrote:
The best point against hate crime laws is the one raised by Commissioner Peter Kirsanow during the hearing I attended:

He directed his questions to all of us, and invited anyone who possessed the information to answer.

"Are you aware of any data, studies, or other evidence, that shows designating a crime a hate crime deters, prevents, or reduces that crime, and second, whether designating a crime a federal hate crime reduces, deters, or prevents incidents of that crime?" he asked.

Neither I nor any of the other panelists were aware of such information, and so the panel fell silent.

Kirsanow continued. "Then, one other question: are you aware of any databases, study, or other evidence that shows designating a crime a hate crime, whether a municipal, federal, or state crime, assists in the resolution of that crime or the apprehension of the perpetrator?" he asked.

Again, silence.

"Thank you, Madame Chair," he said, yielding the floor.
http://reason.com/blog/2018/06/29/hate- ... -black-man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odcvqVCgHdk

InfraRedBucket
BPEx2
BPEx2
Posts: 1103
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:30 pm

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#32

Post by InfraRedBucket » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:53 am

Shatterface wrote:
Driftless wrote:
dogen wrote:
This witty exchange makes me realize that, apart from 'I have no mouth...', I haven't read any Harlan Ellison. What good stories should I be looking out for?
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the best: The City on the Edge of Forever :D
There's a graphic novel adaptation that's closer to the script. There's also a graphic novel of the Two-Face script he wrote for the Adam West Batman.

He also worked on a handful of Marvel Comics including Incredible Hulk 140 (1971) under the title: "The Brute that Shouted Love at the Heart of the Atom". in one of the more memorable and literary stories for that original series - where he finds himself in a subatomic world, venerated as a king, with the body of the hulk, but with the mind of Banner and falls in love with Jarella, then is tragically removed from the world. I've never read Ellison's work in any other form - (I haven't read any fiction since I was a teenager though I did read science fiction back then) that was my introduction to him, aged about 8. It was only much later I read of his influence, various feuds and controversy via internet sources. His interviews etc are quite er...entertaining. His main point was that writers should get paid ALWAYS - and he couldnt understand why some willingly gave their work away for free (or allowed it to be).

MarcusAu
BPEx3
BPEx3
Posts: 5670
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:49 am
Location: Llareggub

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#33

Post by MarcusAu » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:11 am

At times Ellison could shade in to being almost rude...really he could learn a thing or two from the admin team at Skepchick...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj5IV23g-fE

ConcentratedH2O, OM
BPEx3
BPEx3
Posts: 6205
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:51 pm

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#34

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:43 am

Yes, Meyers.

That's why you ended up in Buttfuck, MN.

It was your own choice.

:think:

https://i.imgur.com/qyl3KM0.png

Steersman
.
.
Posts: 9771
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:58 pm
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#35

Post by Steersman » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:49 am

Kirbmarc wrote:
Steersman wrote: <snip>

In some possibly related news, you might want to consider doing something like this ... ;-)

https: ... twitter.com/expat_crypto/status/1012404102477721600
Guys, I've doxxed Steersman, here's the pic:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/imag ... BwlEIlFelX
:lol: Roger, roger:



But the "droid" army is on the march - can "population transfers" be far behind? ;-)



Americans blame law-breaking parents, not Trump, for border separation

;-)

Shatterface
BPE - Aleph 1
BPE - Aleph 1
Posts: 5898
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:05 pm

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#36

Post by Shatterface » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:57 am

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote: Yes, Meyers.

That's why you ended up in Buttfuck, MN.

It was your own choice.

:think:

https://i.imgur.com/qyl3KM0.png
It's the sun he's avoiding. It's just a coincidence that he's as far away as possible from those who's melanin make them better adapted for the sun.

Kirbmarc
Trolling FTW
Trolling FTW
Posts: 9707
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:29 am

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#37

Post by Kirbmarc » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:04 am

Shatterface wrote:
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote: Yes, Meyers.

That's why you ended up in Buttfuck, MN.

It was your own choice.

:think:

https://i.imgur.com/qyl3KM0.png
It's the sun he's avoiding. It's just a coincidence that he's as far away as possible from those who's melanin make them better adapted for the sun.
Shatterface wrote:
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote: Yes, Meyers.

That's why you ended up in Buttfuck, MN.

It was your own choice.

:think:

https://i.imgur.com/qyl3KM0.png
It's the sun he's avoiding. It's just a coincidence that he's as far away as possible from those who's melanin make them better adapted for the sun.
So after population transfers now we're talking about Peezus transfers?

free thoughtpolice
Best Post Evah!!!
Best Post Evah!!!
Posts: 8909
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:27 pm

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#38

Post by free thoughtpolice » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:08 am

Oh the irony. PZ complains about Science Blogs deepsixing comments from their Pharyngula archives.
http://archive.is/tbbmk
They got all the articles converted, as near as I can tell, but the comments…huge numbers of comments were lost. I’m talking hundreds of thousands of comments. I told them this, they didn’t care, and that was one of my first presentiments that this whole deal was not going to go well.
The bastards! Deleting comments is censorship! It's attacking freeze peach!
After the first paragraph he settles into rehashing the attack on the evil Richard Dawkins for dissing his ladylove Miss Becky.

Steersman
.
.
Posts: 9771
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:58 pm
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#39

Post by Steersman » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:09 am

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
InfraRedBucket wrote: Meanwhile in North Britain:

<snip>
In the 2007 post, she wrote that black colleagues she had worked with at a New Orleans restaurant had said American Jews “tip ok but only if you’ve absolutely busted your hump and everything was faultless in the extreme”.

“American blacks”, the waiters had claimed, “don’t tip at all or tip next to nothing – to be avoided.”
This is all true. Even blacks admit they are shitty tippers.
Not very good clients of sex workers either - generally speaking:
Though I cannot speak for escorts in other cities, it is a fact that most of them in New Orleans dislike seeing black men. Please put aside your tired stereotypes about Southern racism before reading any further, because this aversion has nothing to do with bigotry and everything to do with the way many black men behave toward prostitutes. The strongest proof of this I can offer you is that while most white girls can be persuaded to see a black client if he is well-spoken and/or lives in an affluent neighborhood or stays in an expensive hotel, many black escorts will not see a black man under any circumstances; in the words of Tina (a simply gorgeous black girl who was Flavor of the Month for quite a while), “They’re too cheap, too rough and too full of themselves.”
;-)

But, speaking of stereotypes and too categorical assertions, an interesting observation or point made by Cathy Young, although the rejoinder is even more accurate:



Far too many people, and even generally credible publishers like Quillette, are far too sloppy about not qualifying assertions.

Steersman
.
.
Posts: 9771
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:58 pm
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#40

Post by Steersman » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:22 am

feathers wrote:
Steersman wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:52 pm
But, in related news, I've been having a bit of a "spirited" (not religious ...) conversation with Richard Carrier - AKA Sticky Dicky - on a post of his - How the Right and the Left Nuked Atheism Plus
A conversation between Steers and Carrier...

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/imag ... 6CRvlE5Csg
:-) Some "animals" are harder to train than others? ;-)

But, as he's kind of turned over a new leaf, at least backed away some distance from "the Dark Side", I remain hopeful, although I'm not holding my breath waiting for any "road to Damascus" conversion.

Matt Cavanaugh
BPEx2
BPEx2
Posts: 11229
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:38 pm
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#41

Post by Matt Cavanaugh » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:26 am

Kirbmarc wrote:
Shatterface wrote:
The best point against hate crime laws is the one raised by Commissioner Peter Kirsanow during the hearing I attended:

He directed his questions to all of us, and invited anyone who possessed the information to answer.

"Are you aware of any data, studies, or other evidence, that shows designating a crime a hate crime deters, prevents, or reduces that crime, and second, whether designating a crime a federal hate crime reduces, deters, or prevents incidents of that crime?" he asked.

Neither I nor any of the other panelists were aware of such information, and so the panel fell silent.

Kirsanow continued. "Then, one other question: are you aware of any databases, study, or other evidence that shows designating a crime a hate crime, whether a municipal, federal, or state crime, assists in the resolution of that crime or the apprehension of the perpetrator?" he asked.

Again, silence.

"Thank you, Madame Chair," he said, yielding the floor.
http://reason.com/blog/2018/06/29/hate- ... -black-man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odcvqVCgHdk
God I loved that show

Shatterface
BPE - Aleph 1
BPE - Aleph 1
Posts: 5898
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:05 pm

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#42

Post by Shatterface » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:12 pm

Its the lead up to that line that makes it hilarious:


Matt Cavanaugh
BPEx2
BPEx2
Posts: 11229
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:38 pm
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#43

Post by Matt Cavanaugh » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:17 pm

Shatterface wrote: Its the lead up to that line that makes it hilarious:

God I loved that show

Matt Cavanaugh
BPEx2
BPEx2
Posts: 11229
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:38 pm
Contact:

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#44

Post by Matt Cavanaugh » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:20 pm

Steersman wrote: :-) Some "animals" are harder to train than others? ;-)
Zebras, for example. My friend used to train animals for movies & tv. "Know how you train a zebra?" she asked me. "Put it between two mules and let the zebra kick the shit out of them instead."

Shatterface
BPE - Aleph 1
BPE - Aleph 1
Posts: 5898
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:05 pm

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#45

Post by Shatterface » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:25 pm

Can't you just paint a horse?

InfraRedBucket
BPEx2
BPEx2
Posts: 1103
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:30 pm

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#46

Post by InfraRedBucket » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:38 pm

free thoughtpolice wrote: Oh the irony. PZ complains about Science Blogs deepsixing comments from their Pharyngula archives.
http://archive.is/tbbmk
They got all the articles converted, as near as I can tell, but the comments…huge numbers of comments were lost. I’m talking hundreds of thousands of comments. I told them this, they didn’t care, and that was one of my first presentiments that this whole deal was not going to go well.
The bastards! Deleting comments is censorship! It's attacking freeze peach!
Probably only wanted them to fill out his next "book"...

The Internet doesn’t forget, but it does tend to make those memories fragmented and inconvenient to access.
What , like those inconvenient anti- islam "memories" that the "pre woke" Myers posted and got accessed and then a couple of pitters reposted back to the Baboon hordes to condemn..before the terrible hypocritical truth was revealed :lol:

ConcentratedH2O, OM
BPEx3
BPEx3
Posts: 6205
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:51 pm

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#47

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:38 pm

Shatterface wrote: Can't you just paint a horse?
Surely there's a lovely Lipizzano somewhere which identifies as an African stripeyhorse?

ConcentratedH2O, OM
BPEx3
BPEx3
Posts: 6205
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:51 pm

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#48

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:52 pm

They really, genuinely cannot see their hypocrisy.

It's a pathology, surely.

Yesterday:

https://i.imgur.com/tnNb5N6.png


From Wiki:
https://i.imgur.com/8vtijEx.png


Today:


https://i.imgur.com/VUC8S31.png
https://i.imgur.com/mRAQoJg.png
https://i.imgur.com/e8G5FB3.png

:whistle: :whistle:

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master
Posts: 6988
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:55 pm

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#49

Post by Ape+lust » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:09 pm

free thoughtpolice wrote: Oh the irony. PZ complains about Science Blogs deepsixing comments from their Pharyngula archives.
http://archive.is/tbbmk
They got all the articles converted, as near as I can tell, but the comments…huge numbers of comments were lost. I’m talking hundreds of thousands of comments. I told them this, they didn’t care, and that was one of my first presentiments that this whole deal was not going to go well.
The bastards! Deleting comments is censorship! It's attacking freeze peach!
After the first paragraph he settles into rehashing the attack on the evil Richard Dawkins for dissing his ladylove Miss Becky.
Peez and his sugar-boodles have re-formed the band, yay! Dear Muslima is the One Hit from these wonders and they'll be flogging it together, forever, like a Vegas oldies act. Enjoy the moment "Dawkins shat the bed," again and again!

Fortunately, re-living the 4 years before skeert little Peez mustered the courage to criticize Dawkins isn't practical.

Speaking of comments from way back when, here's Notung (remember Notung?) in 2012 catching Peez using Sarkeesian-style dirty tricks in his YouTube comment section:

https://imgur.com/omcI7yi.png

KiwiInOz
.
.
Posts: 4364
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:28 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#50

Post by KiwiInOz » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:35 pm

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote: They really, genuinely cannot see their hypocrisy.

It's a pathology, surely.

Yesterday:

https://i.imgur.com/tnNb5N6.png


From Wiki:
https://i.imgur.com/8vtijEx.png


Today:


https://i.imgur.com/VUC8S31.png
https://i.imgur.com/mRAQoJg.png
https://i.imgur.com/e8G5FB3.png

:whistle: :whistle:
That was the breast groping? FFS. I was expecting a full on honk, AndrewV69 style, rather than an awkward hand placement by a much shorter guy on a taller woman who had been patronisingly draping herself over him.

Really?
Best Post Evah!!!
Best Post Evah!!!
Posts: 6220
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:34 pm

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

#51

Post by Really? » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:42 pm

KiwiInOz wrote:
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote: They really, genuinely cannot see their hypocrisy.

It's a pathology, surely.

Yesterday:

https://i.imgur.com/tnNb5N6.png


From Wiki:
https://i.imgur.com/8vtijEx.png


Today:


https://i.imgur.com/VUC8S31.png
https://i.imgur.com/mRAQoJg.png
https://i.imgur.com/e8G5FB3.png

:whistle: :whistle:
That was the breast groping? FFS. I was expecting a full on honk, AndrewV69 style, rather than an awkward hand placement by a much shorter guy on a taller woman who had been patronisingly draping herself over him.
Speaking of PZ Must Denounce, has anyone heard from or about David Silverman? Is he chilling on a beach with fellow MeToo victim Bill O'Reilly watching the tide go out?

dogen
Best Post Evah!!!
Best Post Evah!!!
Posts: 2547
Joined: Fri May 17, 2013 1:06 pm

Re: Fuck off, Jamie!

#52

Post by dogen » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:38 pm

MarcusAu wrote: Try Johnny Walker or Loch Lomond if that is not available...

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/tin ... 1228104528
My impression is
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Shatterface wrote:
Lsuoma wrote: Interesting essay on "threat conservation":

https://theconversation.com/why-your-br ... find-98990

TL;DR - if your environment gets safer, you start creating new threats.
A few years back I proposed the 'conservation of taboo'. As soon as you liberate one thing - blasphemy, saying 'fuck' on TV, or hardcore sex in mainstream movies - another taboo will spring up for something else so the amount of taboo remains constant.

The perception of threat seems to be similar. We are hardwired to expect to be eaten by tigers and that expectation of impending doom has to go somewhere.
ever see Cold Lazarus set in a dystopian future where everyone cusses like stable boys saying fuck and cunt and dick , but sex itself is considered repulsive?
No, but I grew up in England, which is more or less identical.

comhcinc
.
.
Posts: 10751
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:59 am
Location: from Parts Unknown
Contact:

Re: Fuck off, Jamie!

#53

Post by comhcinc » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:05 pm

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote: Yes, Meyers.

That's why you ended up in Buttfuck, MN.

It was your own choice.

:think:

https://i.imgur.com/qyl3KM0.png
Celsius? That's got to be the most asshole thing I have ever seen him do.

KiwiInOz
.
.
Posts: 4364
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:28 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Fuck off, Jamie!

#54

Post by KiwiInOz » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:17 pm

Kirbmarc wrote: snip and tuck

So after population transfers now we're talking about Peezus transfers?
Well it is medically possible now.


MarcusAu
BPEx3
BPEx3
Posts: 5670
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:49 am
Location: Llareggub

Re: Fuck off, Jamie!

#55

Post by MarcusAu » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:08 pm

Well, I can recommend 'Isle of Dogs'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt__kig8PVU

Though as wikipedia points out it has been criticised for cultural appropriation / tourism etc. But I see that as reflecting more on the critics than the movie.

MarcusAu
BPEx3
BPEx3
Posts: 5670
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:49 am
Location: Llareggub

Re: Fuck off, Jamie!

#56

Post by MarcusAu » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:25 pm

Shatterface wrote: Can't you just paint a horse?
It's certainly an option...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEcwmzeSOwg

Though I understand that they sometimes have to use special techniques so that the horses portray correctly on film...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGPFf5hZKYk

Hunt
Best Post Evah!!!
Best Post Evah!!!
Posts: 2670
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:04 am

Re: Fuck off, Jamie!

#57

Post by Hunt » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:42 pm

After an opening like that, do you really need a movie?

Really?
Best Post Evah!!!
Best Post Evah!!!
Posts: 6220
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:34 pm

Re: Fuck off, Jamie!

#58

Post by Really? » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:11 pm

comhcinc wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:05 pm
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote: Yes, Meyers.

That's why you ended up in Buttfuck, MN.

It was your own choice.

:think:

https://i.imgur.com/qyl3KM0.png
Celsius? That's got to be the most asshole thing I have ever seen him do.
To be fair, it's the only way to make sure he treats those zebrafish as controls. Otherwise, he is just a specialist colonialist anti woman anti trans woman accused rapist male feminist.

Kirbmarc
Trolling FTW
Trolling FTW
Posts: 9707
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:29 am

Re: Fuck off, Jamie!

#59

Post by Kirbmarc » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:18 pm

comhcinc wrote:
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote: Yes, Meyers.

That's why you ended up in Buttfuck, MN.

It was your own choice.

:think:

https://i.imgur.com/qyl3KM0.png
Celsius? That's got to be the most asshole thing I have ever seen him do.
He's just ahead of the curve.

https://i.imgur.com/3ZidINK.png?1

Only you 'Muricans, the Bahamas, Belize, the Cayman Islands and Palau still use Fahrenheit. :bjarte:

feathers
BPE - Infinite
BPE - Infinite
Posts: 6100
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:12 am

Re: Fuck off, Jamie!

#60

Post by feathers » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:13 am

Steersman wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:49 am
But aren't those the same millennials who clog universities with their postmodernist bullshit?

Post Reply