Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Old subthreads
BarnOwl

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Post by BarnOwl »

Gumby wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote: The woman cried? Seriously? How the fuck does Melody deal with every day life?
Lots of Kleenex.
She makes the narrative all about herself, that's how.

Honestly, what kind of self-absorbed insensitive bubbles must most of them reside within, to not bother to offer a blind person some assistance with the coffee and soft drinks, or with the buffet table? It's just common courtesy that you'd extend to any other person - "Hey, I'm going to get a cup of coffee, can I bring you or your friend anything? They've got tea and sodas too - there's green tea, Earl Grey, Coke, Diet Coke, Perrier, blah blah etc." It took only a few minutes after each lesson to give a blind equestrian a "tour" of the therapy horse he'd just ridden - coat color, stars, spots, blazes, snips, whorls, mane, tail - and helping with coffee would take even less time. FFS. Imagine the wailing and flailing if a disabled attendee required toilet assistance, or just a tour of where the fucking restrooms were.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

I can understand people not knowing how to do things or even thinking about them - but if you're a conference runner you should have some awareness.

curriejean

Post by curriejean »

New petition draft here: viewtopic.php?p=92654#p92654

Also in the thread, we're looking to contact concerned parties outside the 'Pit for additional input before going live. I've managed to scrounge up some email addresses but am having difficulty contacting many others. Help with that would be appreciated.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Apples wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:The woman cried? Seriously? How the fuck does Melody deal with every day life?
http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/wpres ... iption.jpg
LOL I was just thinking that. Lots and lots of drugs.

Apples

Post by Apples »

AndrewV69 wrote:Sometime back Elam said if I remember correctly he was going to Fuck Their Shit Up. Sounds like war to me. I suspect that other aspects of the MRM are going to join in if they have not taken this stance already.

We already know that there are lots of pissed off men out there. What will happen in the next few years? Your guess is a good as mine. But I am not expecting it to be pretty.
Yes, I'm sure it will be ugly.

http://www.toodlepip.co.uk/files-toodle ... yboard.jpg

Apples

Post by Apples »

curriejean wrote:New petition draft here: viewtopic.php?p=92654#p92654

Also in the thread, we're looking to contact concerned parties outside the 'Pit for additional input before going live. I've managed to scrounge up some email addresses but am having difficulty contacting many others. Help with that would be appreciated.
nice work.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Whisper Walrus wrote:Just read Carrier's post about Lindsay.
What Do Ron Lindsay and an Oklahoma Tornado Have in Common? Besides raging over the same weekend? Both are ignorantly destructive blowhards, apparently. At least Lindsay didn’t kill anything (except his own common sense, and maybe his career in secular leadership).
So Ron Lindsay hurting your tender feelings for calling out your bullshit is comparable to a tornado that killed people, including children, animals, and ripped a town apart? Epic compassion fail. He then goes on to address the tornado in a very half-assed way that really comes off as just looking for a way to snipe at Pat Roberson (cause that's totally necessary; no one would know Roberson is a useless fuck without Carrier's intellectual artillery powering through the hazy fog of bullshit coming from that guy). But hey, it's all okay, because he linked to where you can donate if you want. All is apparently supposed to be forgiven now and he's free to spend 9000+ words on why Lindsay is a terrible leader, nevermind the tornado and its impact any further.

I can't believe this horrible fuck has the nerve to lecture people about Atheism+; how is that wretched asshole going to tell people about compassion when he doesn't even understand what the word means? Here's a hint, Carrier: don't use natural disasters as a means to call your enemies terrible. It's belittling and inhumane; not really the image the pope of Atheism+ should present, unless you're actually modeling yourself after the fucking pope.

Fuck that guy and fuck all the approved comments. That there were actually comments that could be approved because they didn't call him out for being a terrible, terrible shmuck for making the comparison that he did just shows those people are as horrible as Carrier.

Someone (Vacula) should link that shit to Silverman on twitter and let him know that is why we don't let these assholes skate on the things they say.

</rant>
You know, it just hit me, that this is the same intolerant asshole approach taken towards Phil Plait's 'Don't be a Dick' speech. Where Myers and a whole bunch of other bloggers missed the meta-point of the speech in order to rant-and-rave and drive blog-war controversy hits...

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Apples wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:Sometime back Elam said if I remember correctly he was going to Fuck Their Shit Up. Sounds like war to me. I suspect that other aspects of the MRM are going to join in if they have not taken this stance already.

We already know that there are lots of pissed off men out there. What will happen in the next few years? Your guess is a good as mine. But I am not expecting it to be pretty.

One can only hope. Better that than this. Right? Right?
howtogetupandgetdressd-400x400.jpg
(21.41 KiB) Downloaded 424 times

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

PZ Myers
24 May 2013 at 4:15 pm (UTC -5) Link to this comment
I don’t get it either. I was just reviewing my talk for tomorrow, and I’ve got a line in there where I say that science isn’t enough…and specifically bring up sociology as a fundamental discipline we need to solve the world’s problems.
:roll:

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Gumby wrote:
Corylus wrote: Gumby, sending your great picture to a wheelchair using friend of mine. She will not know any of the actors in this particular drama, but will be amused that the depiction of an all-too-familiar type.
Help yourself! I hope your friend gets a chuckle out of it.

Speaking of "all-too-familiar types", I wonder if Hensley also raised her voice and spoke very slowly when speaking to that blind man at WiS2. :lol:
Photoshop request: Melody meeting Stevie Wonder, telling him how he's her hero and she has waited a lifetime for this moment and she feels his music really speaks to her and she knows exactly where he's coming from and how he feels.

She is wearing blackface and a blindfold.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

rayshul wrote:Anyone who thinks only white people can be racist has never hung around with asshole upper class Africans or Asians. The real difference is that the non-whites don't even try to hide their racism because they assume white people are too stupid to understand it.

I think Elevatorgate is a sweet kid with a dream of being a journalist. He gets excited, yes, but he learns things, and he's clearly pretty smart for his age.
Firstly, "white people" is a pathetic oversimplification. What most of these cunts mean is "descendants of Northern European origin, living in the USA". Therefore, I feel they have given me the freedom to make the following reverse top 5 list of racist people:

5) Lebanese
4) Dutch
3) Indian
2) Spanish
1) Chinese

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

In other news:

Stockholm riots: cars and schools targeted in fifth night of violence
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22650463

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Still waiting for the photoshop of Ron Lindsay handing Rebecca Watson an ice cube :'(

I just don't have the skills.

EdwardGemmer

Post by EdwardGemmer »

rayshul wrote:I don't think anything the blind dude was talking about in his post was out there for even a small conference. Usually though in my experience (and certainly in workplaces I've been in) there is basic training in the reception/conference planning areas in how to help people with disabilities.

Then again I'm not sure how common that is in America - my most lingering impression of the country when I was there is that there weren't basic shit on the streets for blind people - like traffic crossings that made noises, and raised curbs. Freaked me right the fuck out.
Totally true. But remember, this is a "room full of experts on privilege."

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

Suppose you created a hashtag called "#ThingsILearnedFromLindsay" and nobody came?

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Teresa MacBain to come on Brave Hero Radio - June 22

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/bravehero/ ... sa-macbain

Adding more names for future shows, too...if people are interested in being a guest, please consider PMing! Currently, apart from special events like #WIScfi reporting, we're broadcasting once per week and can't get everyone in [immediately] so it may be quite the queue - but I can keep names of those who wish to talk in my PMbox here. Thanks!

ThreeFlangedJavis

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

cunt wrote:
franc wrote:
Gumby wrote:He <elevatorgate> chooses to make himself more of a target for criticism (from either "side") by doing what he does. Just because he is against the baboons does not make him exempt from criticism or eye-rolling from the people here. Your "stop shitting on him" and "he deserves more credit [from pitters]" doesn't work here.
Yes. And? You weenies that comment from the sidelines should be grateful he draws fire.

What a bunch of vanilla chickenshits you all are when you boil it down.

And who said he doesn't deserve criticism? The real critique is between doing nothing and something. This is why EG earns a bit of respect. And the spitgobs from the z-seats earn none.
How's your own twitter campaign going franc? The one where you call everyone a toilet-slave 10 times a day and link ool0n to that chester and spike vid every so often. Is he going to crack any day now? Are you still under the delusion that everyone else hasn't blocked you months ago?
TBH Franc can sometimes piss me off with his scorched earth stirring. Some of the writing on his blog is genius, though. He has an uncanny ability to distill things down to their essence with clarity. Guess you have to take the rough with the smooth.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

d4m10n wrote:I hereby denounce the hate directed at Clarence's man boobs. Flaunt what God gave you, Clarence.
That's a +1. Cute and meta at the same time...

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Tribble wrote:
d4m10n wrote:I hereby denounce the hate directed at Clarence's man boobs. Flaunt what God gave you, Clarence.
Well, you've just displayed your ignorance. Proper internet intellectuals write that as [meta].

ThreeFlangedJavis

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
LMU wrote:
agarybuseychristmas wrote:So Dawkins is feeling the wrath of the SJW crew right now, with a special appearance from Aratina Cage:

http://storify.com/jaspergregory/richar ... wimmin-mob
Wow. That seems like a lot of twits (maybe that's just because I don't twitter?). My understanding of racism/sexism is: "Unfair discrimination or prejudice on the basis of race/sex." Therefore it's absolutely possible to be racist/sexist against white people/male people, and I don't see this as a controversial conclusion. RD is correct, and they might as well be harassing him for claiming the sky is blue ("No it's colorless! It only appears blue because blue light scatters more! F****** D*****!").
Rather typical SJW cluelessness.
Do they seriously think that white people are always the group with power?
I've experienced racism in the middle east and in Japan from locals.
It wouldn't compare with the racism suffered by other groups but the standard definition of 'prejudice of those with power' certainly applies.

The Dawkins attacks seem to be a mix of SJWs and religious bigots who hate atheists, but all of them are using Dawkins popularity to give traction to their tweets.
So if a white kid in Tower Hamlets gets knifed by a Bangladeshi gang out for blood, what is that called? What is it called if a white South African farmer has boiling water poured down his throat, is tied up with razor wire, tortured a bit more, then hung upside down and gutted by a group of black guys. My father was an insurance broker and had a few clients tortured in front of their families in the course of burglaries here in Port Elizabeth. Regardless of recent South African history, you have a big problem if you can weeble away denying the racism in that.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Dick Strawkins wrote:Just to bring things back on topic, Aratina Cage recently posted a rebuttal of the list of pharyngula porcupine threats listed on Skepsheiks blog.

http://www.skepsheik.blogspot.com/2013/ ... exual.html

Aratina's rebuttal is here

http://aratina.blogspot.com/2013/05/ske ... -lord.html

All the pharyngula threats on the skepsheik list are present in Tigzys slymepit thread, along with their sources.

Tigzys thread is here

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=256

And the skepsheik list below:
1. “I am going to personally see to it that an especially rotten and dribbly dead porcupine is rammed so far up their rectum that they are picking bits of it out of their teeth for the foreseeable future.”

2. “Fuck ‘em with decayed porcupines and red hot pokers! I’m drunk and I’m priviledged and I’m human thus fallible all hell but fuck those douchcanoes and make it hurt!”

3. “the porcupines are still located to the left of the door as you leave. Grab on. Shove it where it will do the most good (to the entire world), and then go die in a fire. Slowly.”

4. “stick a decaying porcupine dipped in hot tar and glass shards up his pustule-covered arse sideways, slowly.”

5. “Take your fucking sympathies for predators and shove them up your ass and chase them with a dead, rotting porcupine that’s been marinating in capsaicin.”

6. “You are fucking tiresome and I wish you would shove a rotting porcupine up your ass.”

7. “May a necrotic porcupine fester, unremovable in your bowels.”

8. ” He should be pounding so many decaying porcupines up his asshole that quills start coming out of his ears.”

9. “surlyramics made me a custom necklace with a totally cute porcupine and the word “insert” underneath it. I get compliments on it every time I wear it (without even any questions about why the word “insert” is under the porcupine).”

10. “Surly Amy makes a lovely porcupine necklace now. It’s adorable, and has a one word label: “insert”.

That last quote was from PZ Myers himself, promoting the business of one of his friends who was actually selling necklaces featuring the rape threat imagery.

Not that the imagery is confined to brutal bodily violation using porcupines. According to one popular commenter the violation is merely a means to an end.

“You go fuck yourself. Get something heavy and sharp. Die whilst doing it, if possible.” – AnthonyK

So then...
Considering that Aratina has always maintained that francs 'cunt-kick' could only be seen in one way - a direct threat of violence, we can presume that he must take a similar approach to the pharyngulite threats.

Can't we?

The first 10 + 1 porcupine jokes are just that--jokes. If you don't find them funny, then I hope you never watch a Bette Midler movie because it'll only make you angry. (And I don't even know what the fuck he is talking about with that Anthony one. He could have pulled it out of his butt for all I know.

Yes!

It's the Chris Clarke defence!

It's harmless humorous metaphors when they do it!

The rest of Aratinas conspiracy theory post will amuse those who remember the Wally Smith affair.

PS, here's AnthonyK's anal rape death fantasy

http://i.imgur.com/FhKJR.jpg

Aratina - you're not helping ;)
Wow. These people have gotten worse and worse since I stopped reading and participating there... Brownian used to be a decent poster who didn't act like an asshole. Nerd was a bit of a douche, but I thought he was some science dweeb kid with a tough of asperger's who discovered the joy of HS science classes... Cuttlefish used to do some quality limricks and eventually started his own blog.

Most everyone I knew though has turned into a total fuck-wit or is gone. Especially people who had very good blogs of their own and used to comment there or link there or whatnot...

Actually that gets me to thinking... It's been a long time since I've seen a quality blog not part of the A+ movement link-up with an A+ (or associated) blog on something. It used to be that WEIT and Bad Astronomy and other top blogs would link some of those FtB blogs and engage in constructive argumentation or support. But (and maybe I missed it) I haven't seen much (if any) linking to the A+ crwod in quite sometime.

Churned or burned I guess.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

BarnOwl wrote:
PZ Myers
I don’t get it either. I was just reviewing my talk for tomorrow, and I’ve got a line in there where I say that science isn’t enough…and specifically bring up sociology as a fundamental discipline we need to solve the world’s problems.
Sociology? Ahhahahahahahahahahaha... Don't get me wrong, I loved the class in college. It was one of my favorites. But it's a refuge for loony-toon professors who don't have a grip on reality.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
Tribble wrote:
Well, you've just displayed your ignorance. Proper internetintellectuals poseurs write that as [meta].

Fixed that for you. :)

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Tribble wrote:
BarnOwl wrote:
PZ Myers
Sociology? Ahhahahahahahahahahaha... Don't get me wrong, I loved the class in college. It was one of my favorites. But it's a refuge for loony-toon professors who don't have a grip on reality.
And has there ever been a better description of Meyers himself?

nippletwister

Post by nippletwister »

jjbinx007 wrote:PZ rushes to write a blog post to make fun of Ron Lindsay's twitter exchange with him:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... an-rights/

I notice he didn't tackle the "witless wanker" comment.

You know, normally I don't give a shit what that disgusting fucking shitbag does. He actually got me mad with that post.
Let's pile on, try to make a hero of Marcotte (who very conveniently was "harassed" again, apparently, some kind of "hissed whisper" on the street today, 'cause you know, she can't go a day without that happening.) and put the pressure on Lindsay.

Whip up the psychos with "cheap thugs" trying to silence women with all this free speech.

Post by Guest »

nippletwister wrote: Let's pile on, try to make a hero of Marcotte (who very conveniently was "harassed" again, apparently, some kind of "hissed whisper" on the street today, 'cause you know, she can't go a day without that happening.) and put the pressure on Lindsay.
Jesus, but Marcotte's paranoid. Some guy says something she doesn't even hear and she immediately knows he's a "harasser." Hell, even if the guy did insult her, a single insult doesn't make him a serial harasser. Amanda dear, maybe he just dislikes you?

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Tribble wrote:
BarnOwl wrote:
PZ Myers
Sociology can be very useful but in the hands of Myers et al it will simply be a re-branded Marxist philosophy. So it will manage to be damaging at the same time as useless, quite an accomplishment for any discipline. When it comes to social matters they have clearly shown they do not feel scientific methodology gets results and will never properly consider the fact that social sciences often have several possible answers, all equally valid and with wide error margins.

They also reject the idea that you must never generalise when looking at specifics (as their interpretation of the word Racist clearly shows) Also when you look at specifics you can never assume a general principle without making allowance for those assumptions. Until we work out Chaos Theory Plus we are stuck when attempting to make definitive conclusions on many things. Therefore their absolute certainty in their pronouncements is irrational.

Their biggest failing of all is the supercilious way they vilify, distort, lie, reject and viciously attack any opinion that does not fit their pre set world view. That is the death knell for any serious academic who should demand and thrive off examination and dissent of their views in an atmosphere which encourages the free exchange of ideas.

In short I do not consider them savvy enough to really grasp the subject at a level which will be of any use to anyone. It will just be the same old rubbish they throw out every day. Even if, by chance, they get a good idea they will have no chance of persuading doubters. They make enemies much more effectively than making friends. They can 'devour' as many books on sociology and feminism as they like but they stopped learning long ago and their ability to communicate their ideas in a clear and coherant manner is beyond their grasp.

sacha

Post by sacha »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote:
TBH Franc can sometimes piss me off with his scorched earth stirring. Some of the writing on his blog is genius, though. He has an uncanny ability to distill things down to their essence with clarity. Guess you have to take the rough with the smooth.
I know franc better than anyone here, he is a close friend of mine, and is one of the few people on this earth that I trust implicitly.
I'm not sure you have any idea how spot on that comment is.

Zenspace

Post by Zenspace »

Interesting article about predatory male sexual behavior in the military:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/24/opinion/s ... index.html

Comments are an interesting mix - I learned a new word: 'vagithug' :shock:

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Guest wrote:
nippletwister wrote: Let's pile on, try to make a hero of Marcotte (who very conveniently was "harassed" again, apparently, some kind of "hissed whisper" on the street today, 'cause you know, she can't go a day without that happening.) and put the pressure on Lindsay.
Jesus, but Marcotte's paranoid. Some guy says something she doesn't even hear and she immediately knows he's a "harasser." Hell, even if the guy did insult her, a single insult doesn't make him a serial harasser. Amanda dear, maybe he just dislikes you?
Nippletwister/Guest, do you have a link to the "hissing" tweet?

Southern

Post by Southern »

Mykeru wrote:
jjbinx007 wrote:Ron Lindsay ACTUALLY said:
If the point of your rhetorical question is that some speech can be despicable, absolutely agree
Of course, gov shouldn't prohibit speech just b/c despicable, although private person can condemn it
speech can fall along a spectrum, as you impliedly suggest; "cunt" in most circumstances would be despicable
whereas calling someone "witless wanker" or "demented" is probably just offensive and puerile, dont you agree?
This is taken as:
Amazing.
Josh is a cunt.
#VaculaMustDenounce - Mykeru is back.

(Ok, that was the last one, I swear)

Southern

Post by Southern »

BarnOwl wrote:
PZ Myers
PZ, you are stupid. A very, very fat and stupid person. This idea must have come from the deeps of your anus.

zenbabe

Post by zenbabe »

Guest wrote:
Bottom of the page http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/05/23/t ... -generous/
If it seems baffling to you that people are “into” harassment, I don’t know what to tell you. Why else would people harass? (Don’t say autism, for the love of god. People on the spectrum struggle to interpret social signals. Harassers, on the other hand, are masters at manipulating social rules and actual physical space to creep people out as much as they can get away with. It requires careful study of social signaling, not the opposite.) I got harassed on the sidewalk the other day, because that’s just part of the atmosphere of being female. I didn’t catch exactly what the guy said, because he muttered it, but what he wanted out of the situation couldn’t have been clearer. He had that sly smile, that glint in his eye that harassers get when they manage to capture their target’s attention and make them uncomfortable. It’s the feeling of power they have over you, the little jolt they get from putting a bitch in her place. Why people harass is not a mystery. It makes them feel good to exert power. This motivation is all over the Twitter rampage from the pro-harassment forces. They love drowning out useful tweets about real information with their anti-feminist garbage and ranting. It makes them feel good, like they have power. They can harass you and get under your skin and make you write blog posts about them, and then they feel powerful. It’s all of one cloth, and it’s not about unexamined privilege. It’s about being an asshole. We’re asking them to give up this jolt of feeling powerful they get from making other people sad or angry. No wonder they resent us.
This part was also amusing: "MAKE you write blog posts about them"

Southern

Post by Southern »

Apples wrote:

[youtube]elrV-oHeSjE[/youtube]

Reap

Post by Reap »

Here's a post about the David Silverman/Justin Vacula/PZ Myers/Ophelia Benson/ rules of engagement thing
http://atheiststoday.com/blogs/reapercussions/?p=163

ConcentratedH2O, OM

zenbabe wrote:[quote="ConcentratedH2O, OMNippletwister/Guest, do you have a link to the "hissing" tweet?
*snip*[/quote]

Thanks, zenbabe.

Reap

Post by Reap »

here
FTBLOVES.jpg
(125.15 KiB) Downloaded 387 times

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

I don't think there's much difference when you substitute the conversations of SJW with those of racist/sexist power groups. Both believe in the innate superiority of one race and gender, but the SJW pretend the blessing comes from patriarchy or "society" while the racist/sexist power groups blame some combination of genetic destiny and god.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

zenbabe wrote:
Guest wrote:
If it seems baffling to you that people are “into” harassment, I don’t know what to tell you. Why else would people harass? (Don’t say autism, for the love of god. People on the spectrum struggle to interpret social signals. Harassers, on the other hand, are masters at manipulating social rules and actual physical space to creep people out as much as they can get away with. It requires careful study of social signaling, not the opposite.) I got harassed on the sidewalk the other day, because that’s just part of the atmosphere of being female. I didn’t catch exactly what the guy said, because he muttered it, but what he wanted out of the situation couldn’t have been clearer. He had that sly smile, that glint in his eye that harassers get when they manage to capture their target’s attention and make them uncomfortable. It’s the feeling of power they have over you, the little jolt they get from putting a bitch in her place. Why people harass is not a mystery. It makes them feel good to exert power. This motivation is all over the Twitter rampage from the pro-harassment forces. They love drowning out useful tweets about real information with their anti-feminist garbage and ranting. It makes them feel good, like they have power. They can harass you and get under your skin and make you write blog posts about them, and then they feel powerful. It’s all of one cloth, and it’s not about unexamined privilege. It’s about being an asshole. We’re asking them to give up this jolt of feeling powerful they get from making other people sad or angry. No wonder they resent us.
They just make stuff up. Even if someone said something, so what? There is no evidence at all it meant anything and even if it did well done for confirming douches exist. Whoopie. The whole post is full of holes. It's all projection and conjecture. Does PMZ REALLY fall for it?

I tell you what Marcotte, today I had 3 women on separate occasions look at the bulge in my trousers. Last week a gay guy come onto me. Did I feel objectified or burst into tears with a desperate urge to write a blog about it? Hell no. What a load of unadulterated crap they spew.

Voryn

Post by Voryn »

zenbabe wrote:
I read her sidewalk harassment a few times and sat here trying to visualize what was going on. The guy looked at her, smiling, and muttered something that MUST be harassment? The guy couldn't have taken a minor fancy to her and said "Hello" or "How are you?" Shit like that happens all the time here, a smile, nod, and a hello(which is sometimes inaudible) to a random stranger, never considered it harassment! You're getting desperate for victim points Marcotte... :snooty:

zenbabe

Post by zenbabe »

Voryn wrote: I read her sidewalk harassment a few times and sat here trying to visualize what was going on. The guy looked at her, smiling, and muttered something that MUST be harassment? The guy couldn't have taken a minor fancy to her and said "Hello" or "How are you?" Shit like that happens all the time here, a smile, nod, and a hello(which is sometimes inaudible) to a random stranger, never considered it harassment! You're getting desperate for victim points Marcotte... :snooty:
Inorite

He looked at her with those hot eyes. Like a gypsy.

She seems pretty stuck in being the perpetual petulant victim. Colors what she reads and hears and interactions in meat space, so it's difficult to grant benefit of the doubt.
Jack wrote:I tell you what Marcotte, today I had 3 women on separate occasions look at the bulge in my trousers. Last week a gay guy come onto me. Did I feel objectified or burst into tears with a desperate urge to write a blog about it? Hell no. What a load of unadulterated crap they spew.
Hehe. Desperate urge to blog

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Voryn wrote:
zenbabe wrote:
I read her sidewalk harassment a few times and sat here trying to visualize what was going on. The guy looked at her, smiling, and muttered something that MUST be harassment? The guy couldn't have taken a minor fancy to her and said "Hello" or "How are you?" Shit like that happens all the time here, a smile, nod, and a hello(which is sometimes inaudible) to a random stranger, never considered it harassment! You're getting desperate for victim points Marcotte... :snooty:
This kind of stuff just irks me. It's women like Marcotte that make it so men have no fucking clue what is acceptable when attempting to approach women. I'm surprised she doesn't have a rape whistle, taser, and pepper spray at the ready for each and every public outing.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Zenspace wrote:Interesting article about predatory male sexual behavior in the military:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/24/opinion/s ... index.html

Comments are an interesting mix - I learned a new word: 'vagithug' :shock:
I stopped here:
OK, we already know a lot about the answer to this question. Yes, there is some biological underpinning for male sexual aggression but also men will have different sexual beliefs and behaviors based on their early models (both family and friends): whether or not they had close relationships with sisters or women friends, and whether they have been exposed to a culture of respect, or disdain, for women.
Then I check to see if it was a woman writing this ... and yes it is. This type of wittering was funny at first but now it is just boring.

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

Jack wrote: ...I tell you what Marcotte, today I had 3 women on separate occasions look at the bulge in my trousers...
Well, that's what you get for accepting an invitation to "coffee" at Scented Nectar's house.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

"If you put it on Twitter, we're going to get FreethoughtBlogged about." - @mirandachale

[Google Hangout with many a #bravehero]

[youtube]gEr_RdjEYgg[/youtube]

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

sacha wrote:
ThreeFlangedJavis wrote:
I know franc better than anyone here, he is a close friend of mine, and is one of the few people on this earth that I trust implicitly.
I'm not sure you have any idea how spot on that comment is.
For some reason that I can't explain Franc does not bother me at all and I enjoy most of his posts. When he goes off the rail a little it is easy enough to move to the next post.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

bovarchist wrote:
Aneris wrote:I feel there are some here, that would like us to level up a little. In that regard, I also reject picking on Ophelia Benson or other people just for the sake of it or based on some superficial reason (appearance, gender, or whatever). I also think that this would be consistent what we have been saying all the time.
I definitely get what you're saying, and agree to a point. But it presupposes that the Pit is an organization with actual goals, and not just a place to hang out for people who are sick to death of oversensitive cunts, and just want to throw out the occasional dead-baby joke without being labelled a Suppressive Person.

That said, we really need our dead-baby jokes to be better, people.
What's worse than two babies in a bin?

One baby in two bins.

Thanks you, thank you. I'll be here all night. Try the waitress, tip the veal!

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Gefan wrote:
Jack wrote: ...I tell you what Marcotte, today I had 3 women on separate occasions look at the bulge in my trousers...
Well, that's what you get for accepting an invitation to "coffee" at Scented Nectar's house.
Scented Nectar even had a lift fitted. She leaves nothing to chance.

jjbinx007

Post by jjbinx007 »

So there quite a shitstorm going on in the comments:

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Happy Towel Day everyone!

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

jjbinx007 wrote:So there quite a shitstorm going on in the comments:

Interesting. The dissenters are not getting dogpiled as much as they could have expected. They are being robustly argued with some attacks thrown in. That's fine. It is also notable that the usual suspects are not there such as Josh Spokesgay who always turn any discussion toxic. From this tiny sample size is seems without the rabble rousers some conversation is possible. Also PMZ came down hard on comments wanting people to die. That is fine by me as that does cross the line. It is a shame that PMZ is so quick with the ban hammer. Nothing kills constructive discussion quicker than that.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

sleepingwytch links to a site or page that advocates killing all men

sleepingwytch's avatar looks familiar (someone who used to be active at A+ forum; think Chernobyl)

Here's comment #136 (numbering may change if PZ approves some posts or removes some, I suppose) - I've added the bolding here:
Eristae wrote:24 May 2013 at 11:42 pm (UTC -5) Link to this comment
Not to derail, but are my eyes deceiving me or did sleepingwytch @53 just link approvingly to a kill-all-men screed?I’m… not okay with that. Sleepingwytch, what gives?
Whoa, you’re right! I clicked the link, read like two sentences in, decided it was non-nonsensical and quit reading it, but scanning down to the end, that is indeed what it says.

It . . . doesn’t really work to post that kind of thing on a blog written by a man . . .
But if this were a blog written by a woman it "[would work] to post that kind of thing"? :shock:

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Skep tickle wrote:

sleepingwytch links to a site or page that advocates killing all men

sleepingwytch's avatar looks familiar (someone who used to be active at A+ forum; think Chernobyl)

Here's comment #136 (numbering may change if PZ approves some posts or removes some, I suppose) - I've added the bolding here:
Eristae wrote:24 May 2013 at 11:42 pm (UTC -5) Link to this comment
Not to derail, but are my eyes deceiving me or did sleepingwytch @53 just link approvingly to a kill-all-men screed?I’m… not okay with that. Sleepingwytch, what gives?
Whoa, you’re right! I clicked the link, read like two sentences in, decided it was non-nonsensical and quit reading it, but scanning down to the end, that is indeed what it says.

It . . . doesn’t really work to post that kind of thing on a blog written by a man . . .
But if this were a blog written by a woman it "[would work] to post that kind of thing"? :shock:
To be fair sleepingwytch got a lot of flack for doing that. Sorry I am sounding like a contrarian but the general level of posts there I found more constructive than most times when they discuss SJW issues. There was still the same old abuse and assertions but at least it was countered somewhat. Like an echo chamber with a small hole in it.

windy

Post by windy »

cunt wrote:
windy wrote:
John Greg wrote:cunt says:
This forum is a fucking shithole, really.
So, what's got your knickers in hissy twist now?
I guess he can't be arsed to argue some point about Silverman that the rest of us morons got wrong, "probably".

If Silverman was really only asking about specific examples like that mspaint job, why did he demand this ridiculous statement from Justin and approve it afterwards?

http://www.skepticink.com/justinvacula/ ... demnation/
You're right about one thing. I couldn't be arsed to slog through twitter piecing together the conversation or to read jadehawks version of events. Oh and boo-hoo he requested a ridiculous statement from wonder-boy. You know Vacula could have just not written that shit if he actually had such a problem with it.
You seem to be under the impression that people are criticizing Silverman and/or making fun with the hashtag in order to defend Justin. When I called it a "ridiculous statement" I in fact meant that Justin's statement also sucked, I criticized him for it a few pages back. Doesn't change the fact that Silverman was being extremely vague in asking him to denounce "hate" and "shit". So quit yer bitching cunt.

Voryn

Post by Voryn »

Simpleflower hath returned!

I am my own side with my own take on things, and yes it’s very extremist/terrorist and I have no qualms with that. It’s very understandable (of course) that you do, but I really don’t care. I’m going to stick around whether you or others like it or not, and if you try to ban me, you’ll go from frenemy to enemy.
Yeesh!

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Jack wrote:To be fair sleepingwytch got a lot of flack for doing that. Sorry I am sounding like a contrarian but the general level of posts there I found more constructive than most times when they discuss SJW issues. There was still the same old abuse and assertions but at least it was countered somewhat. Like an echo chamber with a small hole in it.
Agreed; I've been working my way backwards through the thread (reverse chronologic order) & am seeing now that it's actually being handled relatively well, including some people (Anne C. Hanna in particular) who are saying kind, supportive things while still setting limits on what's acceptable.

There does seem to be an absence, from posts #88-135 at least, of anyone suggesting sleepingwytch could be a poe. However, Azkyroth is proposing some reality checks for Xanthe in #92 & 94 (bolding as in original):
Azkyroth Drinked the Grammar Too :) 24 May 2013 at 10:21 pm (UTC -5) Link to this comment
Xanthe wrote:Icthyic, the discussion of sleepingwytch’s views is a totally off-topic derailment here. You want to turn this thread into another ‘bash the transgender person with mental illness because she has wacky views’ thread? Go right ahead — and then you can have your own personal Slyme Pit, right here on Pharyngula.
Point the first: her being transgender is irrelevant to my disgust at her views or to any responses in this thread I’ve seen.

Point the second: as noted, she was the one who injected it into a discussion that had no relation whatsoever to her views.

Point the third: as a person with a mental disorder/disability myself I find your attitude here sickeningly patronizing and you can fuck right the hell off.
Azkyroth Drinked the Grammar Too :) 24 May 2013 at 10:22 pm (UTC -5) Link to this comment
Xanthe wrote:I’m defending someone who’s mentally ill. Why are you attacking her?
BECAUSE SHE’S ADVOCATING GENOCIDE?!

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

How do you punish a blind kid?

Move the furnitures.

It's angry/pissy saturday. Don't blame me, blame the saturiarchy!

zenbabe

Post by zenbabe »

Sleepingwytch can't be for real, the manifesto is so over the top batshit crazy, and so weirdly contrary to her posts, which seem tailored to really manipulate that crowd. In at least one post she writes of how she was 'shunned' so much by society and her family that she had no choice but to radicalize. And boy howdy did she radicalize.

But wishes it wouldn't be that way? Wants to be treated with kindness?

Anything is possible but I have to think it's an elaborate prank (is the correct term "poe"?), highlighting with the light of a thousand suns a possible ultimate result of a community that marginalizes, abuses, shuns, shuts up.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Voryn wrote:

Simpleflower hath returned!
Wow and with a vengeance, so to speak.

Xanthe does say "I cannot support the repugnant ideas in her pastebin, but neither will I support the comment thread here at Pharyngula becoming another example of transphobic, ableist mockery of someone who has severe problems to deal with in their life." (That's what I get for having read from the bottom upwards.)

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

justinvacula wrote:Teresa MacBain to come on Brave Hero Radio - June 22

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/bravehero/ ... sa-macbain

Adding more names for future shows, too...if people are interested in being a guest, please consider PMing! Currently, apart from special events like #WIScfi reporting, we're broadcasting once per week and can't get everyone in [immediately] so it may be quite the queue - but I can keep names of those who wish to talk in my PMbox here. Thanks!
Last time I was a guest on a show, it was ReapSowRadio, and I think I was drunk enough that Reap decided not to archive/air the whole mess.

Still a taker?