Old subthreads
Skep tickle

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Post by Skep tickle »

Dammit, KiO - what does a gal have to do to be called a cunt around here? :lol:

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Skep tickle wrote:Dammit, KiO - what does a gal have to do to be called a cunt around here? :lol:
:lol:

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

welch wrote:
Southern wrote:
justinvacula wrote:Taking a page from FTbullies

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthis/t ... ebook-ever

This Is The Most Epic Brand Meltdown On Facebook Ever

The two owners of Amy’s Baking Company Bakery Boutique & Bistro took over the restaurant’s Facebook page last night to fight unruly commenters, and man, was it embarrassing.
I imagine PZ, Ophelia, and Brayton running that piss-poor excuse for a "blog network" exactly like that.
The episode of "Kitchen Nightmares" there is amazing. Poor ramsey.
*jaw drops* That was quite some episode. Won't listen to criticism, calls people who try to give input "haters" or accuses someone who asks a question of having "attitude" and fires them, assumes everyone shares her positive view of her cooking (even the people whose counter opinion should be obvious - the full plates sent back). Almost rings a bell, somehow...

And the yelp reviews are hilarious.

welch

Post by welch »

Skep tickle wrote:Dammit, KiO - what does a gal have to do to be called a cunt around here? :lol:

Cunt

I'm a helper.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

welch wrote:

Cunt

I'm a helper.
You are obviously white knighting.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

welch wrote:

Cunt

I'm a helper.

Awwww, thanks!

*watches blood pressure rise in some lurkers*

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

sacha wrote:
And I fucking hate to side with PZ on the subject of breasts, but really, breasts are not important

I am so not agreeing with PZ or you!

sacha

Post by sacha »

Skep tickle wrote:
sacha wrote:
Eskarina wrote:
PZM wrote:Wow. Jolie is a beautiful woman who makes a living as an actress, where looks can be important, and she discovered that she carried an allele of BRCA1 that puts her at a very high risk of coming down with breast cancer sometime in her life. She looked at her situation rationally — she is an atheist after all — and made the decision to get a preventive double mastectomy. She chose to maximize her chances of living a long life over preserving a secondary sexual characteristics.
I found this highlighted (by me) statement incredibly dumb. Since when is it a logical conclusion that atheist ==> rational? (Not that I criticise Jolie's decision.)

Oh, I forgot: he recently divorced scepticism and now has only atheism to fall back on. But atheism is bitch, PZ.

And it must chagrin Myers deeply that Jolie doesn't give a fuck what he thinks.

haha! I thought the same thing when reading that. I've been to a few atheist events and they were filled with people who believe in all sorts of pseudoscience, conspiracy theories, and logical fallacies. Give me a deist sceptic over a woo-believing atheist any day.

And I fucking hate to side with PZ on the subject of breasts, but really, breasts are not important, unless you want to breast feed a child, and they can rebuild breasts out of one's own fat and tissue from another part of their body, so "fake tits" is a spectrum.
Five of my primary care patients have had bilateral mastectomies, 3 for cancer and 2 for BRCA2. Ages ranged from 35-50 at the time of surgery. One had tissue expanders placed at the time of mastectomy (with implants later inserted surgically into the space formed); another had tissue expanders 15 yrs after her mastectomies, then implants. The other 3 have chosen to go without reconstruction. And I have quite a few patients who have had a unilateral mastectomy & chose not to have reconstruction.

Among my patients, the women who have had unilateral mastectomy typically wear a "prosthesis" (essentially stuffing to fill out that side of their bra) - but the 3 patients who have had bilateral mastectomies without reconstruction go braless and prosthesis-less, and tell me they find it kind of refreshing not to have to deal with breasts & bras. (Obviously, not everyone would have the same reaction.)

I periodically get nasty form letters from one insurance company or another informing me that I'm a Bad Doctor because my patient so-and-so hasn't had a mammogram in >2 yrs. I know they mean well, but it's irritating to have to KEEP telling them that that person doesn't have breasts...
this makes me smile a big smile. I completely understand that. Thanks in part to Nectar (thanks Nectar!), I've gone braless for nearly a year now, and I can't believe I wore those uncomfortable things for something like 34 years. Yes, even the soft, wireless, non-padded bras are uncomfortable. My tits will be down at my knees before long, but I don't fucking care. If I had my choice, I would trade mine in for a full A cup (ie. small) and with the weight and bouncing disappearing, braless would be fantastic.

I'm not sure how I would react upon seeing a completely flat chest in the mirror, I think I would probably get some reconstruction, but I'd certainly keep them small enough to go without a bra easily.

I may eventually just get them reduced to a small size, but it isn't inexpensive, and I don't see it as a priority.

My ex (now my best friend) told me a long time ago, when I told him I wanted small perky breasts "Don't go cutting off parts of your body, sacha!" He is the type that would find a woman who had a bilateral mastectomy without reconstruction, no less attractive. Knowing him, he would probably find it interesting.

sacha

Post by sacha »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
sacha wrote:
And I fucking hate to side with PZ on the subject of breasts, but really, breasts are not important

I am so not agreeing with PZ or you!
for some reason this also makes me smile

sacha

Post by sacha »

speaking of reconstruction, is creating breasts out of one's own fat and tissue still an option, SkepTickle?

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

I have a skydiving friend who had to have her breasts reduced. They were huge, and caused pain in her back. And as she was in the French Style and Accuracy team, they impeded on her vision when trying to get on target for Accuracy events. Her quality of life rose manyfolds. And I was finally able to look her in the eyes. They're blue, I've gathered...

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

Tony Parsehole wrote:Completely OT but Game of Thrones last night had me wincing! I'm sure more than a few Shakesville feminists who watch the series "ironically" were creaming their panties boxer shorts at a certain scene amirite?
FTFY.

Eskarina

Post by Eskarina »

sacha wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:
sacha wrote:
Eskarina wrote:
PZM wrote:Wow. Jolie is a beautiful woman who makes a living as an actress, where looks can be important, and she discovered that she carried an allele of BRCA1 that puts her at a very high risk of coming down with breast cancer sometime in her life. She looked at her situation rationally — she is an atheist after all — and made the decision to get a preventive double mastectomy. She chose to maximize her chances of living a long life over preserving a secondary sexual characteristics.
I found this highlighted (by me) statement incredibly dumb. Since when is it a logical conclusion that atheist ==> rational? (Not that I criticise Jolie's decision.)

Oh, I forgot: he recently divorced scepticism and now has only atheism to fall back on. But atheism is bitch, PZ.

haha! I thought the same thing when reading that. I've been to a few atheist events and they were filled with people who believe in all sorts of pseudoscience, conspiracy theories, and logical fallacies. Give me a deist sceptic over a woo-believing atheist any day.

And I fucking hate to side with PZ on the subject of breasts, but really, breasts are not important, unless you want to breast feed a child, and they can rebuild breasts out of one's own fat and tissue from another part of their body, so "fake tits" is a spectrum.
Five of my primary care patients have had bilateral mastectomies, 3 for cancer and 2 for BRCA2. Ages ranged from 35-50 at the time of surgery. One had tissue expanders placed at the time of mastectomy (with implants later inserted surgically into the space formed); another had tissue expanders 15 yrs after her mastectomies, then implants. The other 3 have chosen to go without reconstruction. And I have quite a few patients who have had a unilateral mastectomy & chose not to have reconstruction.

Among my patients, the women who have had unilateral mastectomy typically wear a "prosthesis" (essentially stuffing to fill out that side of their bra) - but the 3 patients who have had bilateral mastectomies without reconstruction go braless and prosthesis-less, and tell me they find it kind of refreshing not to have to deal with breasts & bras. (Obviously, not everyone would have the same reaction.)

I periodically get nasty form letters from one insurance company or another informing me that I'm a Bad Doctor because my patient so-and-so hasn't had a mammogram in >2 yrs. I know they mean well, but it's irritating to have to KEEP telling them that that person doesn't have breasts...
this makes me smile a big smile. I completely understand that. Thanks in part to Nectar (thanks Nectar!), I've gone braless for nearly a year now, and I can't believe I wore those uncomfortable things for something like 34 years. Yes, even the soft, wireless, non-padded bras are uncomfortable. My tits will be down at my knees before long, but I don't fucking care. If I had my choice, I would trade mine in for a full A cup (ie. small) and with the weight and bouncing disappearing, braless would be fantastic.

I'm not sure how I would react upon seeing a completely flat chest in the mirror, I think I would probably get some reconstruction, but I'd certainly keep them small enough to go without a bra easily.

I may eventually just get them reduced to a small size, but it isn't inexpensive, and I don't see it as a priority.

My ex (now my best friend) told me a long time ago, when I told him I wanted small perky breasts "Don't go cutting off parts of your body, sacha!" He is the type that would find a woman who had a bilateral mastectomy without reconstruction, no less attractive. Knowing him, he would probably find it interesting.
As a size D, I find going braless more uncomfortable than wearing a bra. It still is a fucking nuisance having to spend a small fortune on piece of cloth that doesn't pinch and yet holds everything firmly in place. And as I get older, I also get back pain from the weight despite exercising, so a reduction looks more and more tempting.

If I'd run a cancer risk anywhere as high as Jolie, I'd immediately do a Queen of Hearts and shout "Off with them". And anybody having problems with that can go to hell in a handbasket. It's my tits and my life.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

sacha wrote:speaking of reconstruction, is creating breasts out of one's own fat and tissue still an option, SkepTickle?
Apparently so, see the section on "abdominal flaps" here (including the part about buttock* flaps at the end**):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breast_rec ... Techniques

*No, cunt flaps are not mentioned, sorry to disappoint

**Yes, I see what I did there

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Ok, someone has to do it: Tits or GTFO!

DownThunder

Post by DownThunder »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Ok, someone has to do it: Tits or GTFO!
http://a2.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/imag ... e432/l.jpg

In the spirit of equality and all that.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Bit of an odd question, but... does anyone know which film actor this resembles?
Because I think it's uncanny and would do for one hell of a biopic. (That's Frederick Douglass, by the way.)

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Errr

I meant to put it in an image tag, but for some reason put it in a quote tag instead. Whatever.

JayTeeAitch

Post by JayTeeAitch »

Here's a list of female heads of government: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_el ... government

and a list of female heads of state: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_el ... s_of_state

Lots of brown people, as they call them, in there.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

DownThunder wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Ok, someone has to do it: Tits or GTFO!
http://a2.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/imag ... e432/l.jpg

In the spirit of equality and all that.
That's a tinsy bit too much, but B+ for effort...

jjbinx007

Post by jjbinx007 »

Star Trek spoilers ahead - if you haven't seen the movie yet and plan to, skip this post.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/lousycanuck ... aaaaaatch/

Lousy Canuck is absolutely furious that they got a "a pale-as-fuck beanpole British dude" instead of a "a dark-skinned buff Latino" to play Khan.

Thibeault thought they should have got a woman to play Khan instead.

Apparently it's OK to change Khan's gender but NOT ok to change his race.

Presumably Thibeault is furious that they got an asian woman to play white English dude John Watson in Elementary, right? Oh, wait.

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

jjbinx007 wrote:Star Trek spoilers ahead - if you haven't seen the movie yet and plan to, skip this post.

Lousy Canuck is absolutely furious that they got a "a pale-as-fuck beanpole British dude" instead of a "a dark-skinned buff Latino" to play Khan.

Presumably Thibeault is furious that they got an asian woman to play white English dude John Watson in Elementary, right? Oh, wait.
I read that earlier. The harping on about how his name is a "Sikh name" demonstrated a particular lack of self-awareness. For one thing, it's hundreds of years in the future, would only certain groups of people have certain names then?

Not to mention the fact that a name is a name. Why should there be any such thing as a Sikh name or a Christian name; why should they be tied to ethnicity or background? Someone needs to check their cultural privilege.

windy

Post by windy »

sacha wrote:
Eskarina wrote:

Somehow PZ, the feminist biologist, forgot about the little details of breasts also functioning in breastfeeding and as erogenous zones. The function of breasts as secondary sexual characteristics is actually the only one Jolie retained, by getting implants after her surgery!

It will be interesting to see if Jolie's announcement leads to more examination of the breast cancer gene patent issue:
http://rt.com/usa/jolie-cancer-gene-patent-272/
Her decision to not keep her story private was spurred by her desire to warn women “who do not know that they might be living under the shadow of cancer.” But with only one firm monopolizing research on the “faulty” genes, Jolie’s altruistic announcement pushed Myriad’s stock up to its highest level since mid-2009.

jjbinx007

Post by jjbinx007 »

The comments section on that post is interesting. On a site called Freethoughtblogs it should come as no surprise that the diverse commentariat are mostly disagreeing with Thibeault about the premise of his article and are offering argument and counterargument to each other, like skilled fencers.

Nah, I'm just shitting with ya. They're all toadying the party line.

Here's the average FTB commenter:

[youtube]KRPcssq-7Us[/youtube]

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

windy wrote:
It will be interesting to see if Jolie's announcement leads to more examination of the breast cancer gene patent issue:
http://rt.com/usa/jolie-cancer-gene-patent-272/
Her decision to not keep her story private was spurred by her desire to warn women “who do not know that they might be living under the shadow of cancer.” But with only one firm monopolizing research on the “faulty” genes, Jolie’s altruistic announcement pushed Myriad’s stock up to its highest level since mid-2009.
It's an exaggeration to say that Myriad are monopolizing research on these genes. They are not. There's plenty of groups working on the genes and the pathways associated with them, to try to develop new treatments.
What Myriad has, is a monopoly on a particular type of test for mutations in the genes.
A molecular biology laboratory can still carry out such a test, (for example PCR and sequence the appropriate genetic segment) but it cannot charge to do so as this will infringe the commercial patent.
My PhD involved finding a gene that was involved in causing a major disease and there was talk at the time about whether our group should patent it - we decided against it, at least partly for reasons of ensuring that testing is kept to a minimum cost.
Companies like Myriad like to claim that they are working on a pharmaceutical model - that the research wouldn't get done if it weren't for their investment. That is bollocks. There were plenty of other groups working on finding the same genes, it's just that the extra cash put in by myriads investors gave them probably a couple of months advantage.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

jjbinx007 wrote:Star Trek spoilers ahead - if you haven't seen the movie yet and plan to, skip this post.

The comments section on that post is full of burning stupid. Where do they get the idea that "Sikh" is an ethnicity, much less a race? Their obsession with "race," and with people fitting into narrow phenotypic categories, is disturbing. I've no idea what "race" Montalbán considered himself to be, but as a Mexican of Spanish descent, he may very well have self-identified as "white" (as do most of the Mexican-Americans I know). And anyway, I agree with my Brazilian friends and colleagues here, that "race" is a meaningless concept wrt H. sapiens, and its application to humans is archaic and offensive.

If, as is suggested in the comments at Thibeault's, Khan should be played by a Sikh actor, then that actor could easily be as light-skinned as Cumberbatch. And if "Sikh" is such an important part of the Khan identity, why didn't Montalbán wear a turban throughout the WoK Star Trek movie?

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

windy wrote:
Somehow PZ, the feminist biologist, forgot about the little details of breasts also functioning in breastfeeding and as erogenous zones. The function of breasts as secondary sexual characteristics is actually the only one Jolie retained, by getting implants after her surgery!
Erogenous zones? :)

On a ... ...a woman? :lol:

Next you'll be telling us they can have orgasms :snooty:

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Erogenous zone. Nice and woody.

Erogenous zone. Erogenous zooo-ooone.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

welch wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
welch wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:Anybody who bad-mouths David Icke is obviously in the pay of the lizard-people.
I was asked by one of the radfemhub separatists how much men pay me to make videos against feminism.

So, what I want to know is, is this true? When can I expect my first payment and how much will it be for? I've also been told I'm doing it to get dates (and I assume sex), so I also want to know is when do those perks start happening too?

Yeah, we lied to you about that.
*grumble* I should have gotten it in writing. :cry:
We'd just invoke the privilege clause.
They warned me about you men. I should have listened. *Sniff* Now I'm broke and horny. You cunt-teases, you!

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

windy wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:Anybody who bad-mouths David Icke is obviously in the pay of the lizard-people.
I was asked by one of the radfemhub separatists how much men pay me to make videos against feminism.

So, what I want to know is, is this true? When can I expect my first payment and how much will it be for? I've also been told I'm doing it to get dates (and I assume sex), so I also want to know is when do those perks start happening too?
Due to your long service to the patriarchy, you have been awarded a few dates!

http://canigivemybaby.com/wp-content/up ... -dates.jpg
Not quite what I was expecting, but hey, I'll go for it. :)

I guess this is like those jihadists who think they're getting 72 virgins but get 72 raisins instead.

I'll take what I can get. Those dates look tasty. :)

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Gefan wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:

The Czech is in the mail.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9 ... Ta0MWTge9A

His name's Vladimir Kulich. You'll like him.
Hmm, not bad! I did have to google him though, just to make sure you weren't slipping me a serial killer or something, but he seems to be an actor. Thank you kindly, Mr Representative of the Patriarchy! :)

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

KiwiInOz wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
Jack wrote:I'm a big dick. As anyone here, they will vouch for me. Does that count?
It'll have to count. I don't think anyone will be actually posting their dick pics here anyways. :)
Eucli was Scented's sock puppet!
Bite your tongue! Egads! If she was my sock puppet, I'd chop off whichever foot that sock was on!

Oh no, now it sounds like Cristina/Ziztur (JT's friend, sometimes blogger, self amputator) is my sock. I can't win.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

sacha wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:
sacha wrote:
Eskarina wrote:

You're welcome. I had no idea that you have become braless. Congrats!

Was it because of my Braless Boobquake video? I completely forgot to promote it last month on Boobquake Day (Apr 26). A couple of years ago, when Jen post-birth-aborted her boobquake child, I rescued the 'boobquake' part for my own pet cause: bralessness becoming acceptable for those who are physically more comfortable without bras.

Braless Boobquake!
[youtube]kPauBZ1tqcs[/youtube]

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Having a woman play Khan would have made for some interesting permutations on sexual harassment and sexism, especially if she was faithful to the original character:

[youtube]pKnttwx0P6I[/youtube]

Gumby Unplugged

Post by Gumby Unplugged »

Damn you all to fucking hell jjbinx.... spoiler alert or not, my eye still caught the villain's name as I was scrolling past. So much for that movie. You just had to do it, didn't you? Fucker.

Apples

Post by Apples »

EllenBeth is now on Ophie's enemies list for pointing out that there are decent people at the Pit.

https://twitter.com/EllenBethWachs

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

sacha wrote:I'm with cunt
Congratulations!

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Oops, I forgot about the spoiler alert. Er, uh...sorry about that.

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

https://dyingunderalienstars.files.word ... insult.jpg

Calling someone a cunt. Saying that in a group of (at this moment) 649 people there is not a single decent person.

I think that both Benson and I could agree that the above two statements are not equally insulting. I also think we would disagree on which is worse.

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

And just because I am now annoyed…
Benson wrote: All those big tough males who take all the food off the females – they’re there because their mothers managed to get enough food for both of them to survive. The whole thing depends on the females and their cubs surviving, but the males simply grab the food when they can. It’s a wonder any of them survive to grow up.
(Then again because of the salmon it’s a crowded spot. Bears usually don’t crowd together. The salmon is abundant but the crowding means that females don’t get to keep big carcasses. It would be interesting to know if it all balances out for the females or if they would do better elsewhere.)
Has this been going on for a reasonable while? Are there still bears? If yes to both, then indeed; it balances out.

Isn't speculation fun? So let's ask, what happens when female bears start avoiding males? What do you mean, no more bear cubs? Surely the stork isn't misogynist.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

TedDahlberg wrote:And just because I am now annoyed…
Benson wrote: All those big tough males who take all the food off the females – they’re there because their mothers managed to get enough food for both of them to survive. The whole thing depends on the females and their cubs surviving, but the males simply grab the food when they can. It’s a wonder any of them survive to grow up.
(Then again because of the salmon it’s a crowded spot. Bears usually don’t crowd together. The salmon is abundant but the crowding means that females don’t get to keep big carcasses. It would be interesting to know if it all balances out for the females or if they would do better elsewhere.)
Has this been going on for a reasonable while? Are there still bears? If yes to both, then indeed; it balances out.

Isn't speculation fun? So let's ask, what happens when female bears start avoiding males? What do you mean, no more bear cubs? Surely the stork isn't misogynist.
I'm afraid Ophelia isn't enough of a biologist to realize that you cannot simply draw conclusions about gender relations simply by examining the behavior of one or more species that have 'patriarchal' type structures.
She seems to be drawing the conclusion that 'males are bastards' from the bear story, but what happens in a species where the females are dominant - for example, spotted hyenas?
In that case the same type of dominating behavior occurs, except this time it's the females who act like bastards!

Apples

Post by Apples »

Yemmi introduces herself to A+ with a flourish and soaks up the adoration.
YUMMYfisting wrote:Thank you Sun Countess! :D If only the noisy, manner-less neighbours took an interest in reading what I have to say about the atrocities In Nigeria, instead of trying to commit atrocities of their own on my blog, they would at least learn something new. Let's just say I am not surprised at their vileness, they come from the pit, they can only be slimy creatures and I have dealt with worse. :twisted: The block button will surely be put to work sooner than i expected.
As a prejudiced, hyperbolic, mediocre narcissist, she's a perfect fit for A+/FTB.

http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=929

Re: Yemmy-fisting

Post by Guest »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: 3)
"we have formally abandoned antiquated Latin words, these only look pompous and have no added value .... Other than giving one the false impression of ‘elitist’, it really is an obsolete baggage that is no longer appealing to the new generation who have no complex issue."
My own latin's none too good, but I think the legal term for this is dicetur ex culo.
I believe you mean locutum ab culum

Post by Guest »

Pitchguest wrote:You're right, I was thinking about Finland. But in any case, many countries have had women leaders to rule them
I like lists.

here is a list

jjbinx007

Post by jjbinx007 »

Gumby Unplugged wrote:Damn you all to fucking hell jjbinx.... spoiler alert or not, my eye still caught the villain's name as I was scrolling past. So much for that movie. You just had to do it, didn't you? Fucker.
Sorry :-(

There's no spoiler tag any more. Hmm... I wonder - could we use white text in future for spoiler-related conversations?

Test... everything below this line should be readable if you highlight it with your mouse.

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!

Ulrikakakakakakakakakakaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!

THE TITANIC SINKS! BRUCE WAS ALREADY DEAD! NORTON WAS HALLUCINATING!

The colour is #E1EBF2 if anyone's interested.

jjbinx007

Post by jjbinx007 »

Hmm, that's not going to work. Can we get something like a spoiler tag in place? I know there were problems last time but there might be a way around it somehow...

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
TedDahlberg wrote:And just because I am now annoyed…

I'm afraid Ophelia isn't enough of a biologist to realize that you cannot simply draw conclusions about gender relations simply by examining the behavior of one or more species that have 'patriarchal' type structures.
She seems to be drawing the conclusion that 'males are bastards' from the bear story, but what happens in a species where the females are dominant - for example, spotted hyenas?
In that case the same type of dominating behavior occurs, except this time it's the females who act like bastards!
The one job she appears to have had is zookeeper. Did she learn nothing about animal behavior and reproductive strategies during that time?

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Can you imagine Benson teaching biology? Chapter 1: The misogyny of bear culture.

She'd make Lysenko look like a pure naturalist.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Apples wrote:Yemmi introduces herself to A+ with a flourish and soaks up the adoration.
YUMMYfisting wrote:Thank you Sun Countess! :D If only the noisy, manner-less neighbours took an interest in reading what I have to say about the atrocities In Nigeria, instead of trying to commit atrocities of their own on my blog, they would at least learn something new. Let's just say I am not surprised at their vileness, they come from the pit, they can only be slimy creatures and I have dealt with worse. :twisted: The block button will surely be put to work sooner than i expected.
As a prejudiced, hyperbolic, mediocre narcissist, she's a perfect fit for A+/FTB.

http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=929
Well that was a surprise!.......Not.

Yemmi says:
If only the noisy, manner-less neighbours took an interest in reading what I have to say about the atrocities In Nigeria, instead of trying to commit atrocities of their own on my blog, they would at least learn something new.
rofl

jjbinx007

Post by jjbinx007 »

TedDahlberg wrote:https://dyingunderalienstars.files.word ... insult.jpg

Calling someone a cunt. Saying that in a group of (at this moment) 649 people there is not a single decent person.

I think that both Benson and I could agree that the above two statements are not equally insulting. I also think we would disagree on which is worse.
They are fans of George W-Bush-style black and white thinking. You're either with them or against them. If you're with them you're decent and righteous, and if you're not, you're a Cannibalistic Humanoid Underground Dweller.

To her, there are NO decent people at the Slymepit because it's all about picking sides, not arguments.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

Dick Strawkins wrote:http://i.imgur.com/MQD3Eeb.jpg
"It's OK for me to meddle with your conversations when I agree with you." As they say, with friends like that…

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

https://dyingunderalienstars.files.word ... insult.jpg
I don't typically approve of calling people names, but I'll be damned if she isn't trying her best to make me change my mind.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

TedDahlberg wrote:
"It's OK for me to meddle with your conversations when I agree with you." As they say, with friends like that…
There is no evidence or reason to believe EBW has changed her views at all. There was no suggestion on her blog about her treatment at FtB that she had changed her views. No one in her comments section even brought it up as it was irrelevant. The issues she had have absolutely nothing to do with what she believed. It was to do with how she was treated.

What annoys me so much is the identity politics of some people and their habit of viewing people through a narrow lens which allows no subtlety. It's so childish, everything is in black and white and good and bad. It is also highly unskepticle and just feeds into people's own neurosis. It is also telling that either they do not actually read here or if they do they see everything as attacking them personally.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Jack wrote:
TedDahlberg wrote:
There is no evidence or reason to believe EBW has changed her views at all. There was no suggestion on her blog about her treatment at FtB that she had changed her views. No one in her comments section even brought it up as it was irrelevant. The issues she had have absolutely nothing to do with what she believed. It was to do with how she was treated.

What annoys me so much is the identity politics of some people and their habit of viewing people through a narrow lens which allows no subtlety. It's so childish, everything is in black and white and good and bad. It is also highly unskepticle and just feeds into people's own neurosis. It is also telling that either they do not actually read here or if they do they see everything as attacking them personally.
I'm sure they do read it.
Their big worry is that others read it also and thus see the hypocrisy of many of those from FTB that we document here.
That is why they are so anxious to make it appear that even reading here is a big no-no, or that anyone who would do so is uncouth (just look at how many times the commenters there say that they tried to read the slymepit but had to stop it was so awful.)

http://i.imgur.com/AQVCYid.jpg

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Scented Nectar wrote: Hmm, not bad! I did have to google him though, just to make sure you weren't slipping me a serial killer or something, but he seems to be an actor. Thank you kindly, Mr Representative of the Patriarchy! :)
Fine, fine, this one's just for you, SN:

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo35 ... phil/8.jpg

(that's when we still believed Darwin was male. Well, she's not, and we didn't throw her in the river when we found out she's female, contrary to FTB narrative.)

Kareem

Post by Kareem »

I don't understand how people can see something like this and not understand why people have a problem with A+ or Freethought Blogs.
It's not even just the slymepit they have that kind of reaction to (although I think slymepit has now become what they call anyone they suspect might be "indecent"), I've also seen them dismiss people just for being libertarian as if that say something about whether you're a misogynist or not.
I'm not sure whether A+ is just suppose to be a gathering for people who believe certain things or a gathering of people who want to effect change. They seem to think they're the latter while behaving like the former and then express bewilderment when they don't get results.

Post by Guest »

Jonathan wrote:

I read that earlier. The harping on about how his name is a "Sikh name" demonstrated a particular lack of self-awareness. For one thing, it's hundreds of years in the future, would only certain groups of people have certain names then?

Not to mention the fact that a name is a name. Why should there be any such thing as a Sikh name or a Christian name; why should they be tied to ethnicity or background? Someone needs to check their cultural privilege.
Well, Khan was from the late 20th or 21st century, but I see what you're saying.

You also know that if Khan was a tanned, heavily accented Sikh, they'd be moaning that an Indian person was being demonised as ruthless and evil and tie it back to colonial era racist stereotypes or something. Really, they should be over the moon that the villain is a white male human.

In all honesty, I was kind of disappointed that Cumberbatch was Khan, not because of his performance (which was amazing) but because I had money on him being a Picard from the future sent back to stop Kirk recklessly fucking up the timeline. Kirk vs. Picard; now that would have been amazing.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Never in my life would I imagine I'd ever say this but: EllenBeth Wachs...YOU GO GIRL!

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Ton Hardy will be the next Picard.

It is known.