Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Old subthreads
cunt

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Post by cunt »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote: There are probably people other than the intended audience who are going to watch it, and yes, there may well be people who are genuinely looking for answers. Teenagers starting to doubt, for instance. I don't say that not swearing or being unemotional will itself convince anyone of anything. What I am saying is that reacting emotionally only plays to people who already agree with you and is usually off-putting to others, others including people who might be open to persuasion
So you think that teenagers starting to doubt are going to reconsider because of a swearword they heard in a youtube video? When you know, they also have access to the rest of youtube and the internet.
In a nutshell, give people as little reason as possible to close their minds to what you are saying and it doesn't help to look like a sore loser. You get nowhere presupposing that nobody will be receptive to your message.
Because telling Eric Hoving and pals to go suck a fat dick is the only way to get a message out? They matter that much.
I can't think of anyone who bolsters the angry fundie atheist image the way Myers does. Yes, I know we will be portrayed that way anyway, but we can at least try not to play the part.
Who cares? He is a angry fundie atheist. So am I. I've not seen a decent argument to counter it yet.

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

Scented Nectar wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:Anybody who bad-mouths David Icke is obviously in the pay of the lizard-people.
I was asked by one of the radfemhub separatists how much men pay me to make videos against feminism.

So, what I want to know is, is this true? When can I expect my first payment and how much will it be for? I've also been told I'm doing it to get dates (and I assume sex), so I also want to know is when do those perks start happening too?
The Czech is in the mail.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9 ... Ta0MWTge9A

His name's Vladimir Kulich. You'll like him.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

windy wrote:
Hunt wrote:http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... l-carcass/

Could we get some resources on the matter of misogynistic bears, please? Also note the not-so-subtle comparison between Haitian men and animals. I would call it borderline racist, except that knowing Benson's particular dementia, she obviously means to brand all men by it.

This woman has obviously gone off the deep end. She's now seeing patriarchy in Discovery nature shows.
Benson wrote:One unfortunate seal got into shallow water and was surrounded by bears so couldn’t get out again, and a female killed it and carried it off. The biggest male followed her, she tried to outrun him for a bit but when that didn’t work she just gave up. The male buried the seal on the beach…at low tide. (The tv crew wryly noted that he had more brawn than brains.) The tide came in, and next morning the seal was gone. The male bear sniffed around the burial spot, and considered killing the tv crew in case they’d done it, and then wandered off and went fishing. Then the seal carcass washed up and a different female, with a cub, found it. A different male came ambling up to take it away from her, and she fought him. The tv crew advised against this, and after he knocked her around a bit she did give up. That’s life with the bears.
The tv crew advised the bear??

Wait till OB learns about sexually selected infanticide in nature, that's hardcore patriarchy...
Feminism is the radical notion that female bears are people too.
By the way, those loving mother bears will end up killing and eating their own cubs if they get hungry enough, but at least it's not patriarchy.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Southern wrote:Because Real Women Don't Wear Dresses

PZ, you are really the voice of our generation. Dumbass.
Ah, the bane of Anita Sarkeesian. Claiming that "femininity" for women in games and films is a weakness. She even said so in her college thesis.

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

Tigzy wrote:
CommanderTuvok wrote: Also, one commentator takes issue at PZ's insinuation that breasts are not important. So far, most of the Baboons are siding with PZ. You can imagine the fuss if Dawkins insinuated the same thing.
Looking at the post, I think Peez is attempting to say that looks - rather than breasts specifically - are no real importance when it comes to dealing with a high likelihood of cancer:
Wow. Jolie is a beautiful woman who makes a living as an actress, where looks can be important, and she discovered that she carried an allele of BRCA1 that puts her at a very high risk of coming down with breast cancer sometime in her life. She looked at her situation rationally — she is an atheist after all — and made the decision to get a preventive double mastectomy. She chose to maximize her chances of living a long life over preserving a secondary sexual characteristics.

That’s strong and smart. She hasn’t lost anything of any importance.
However, the way he's phrased it is both extremely clumsy and crass, and a woman who has had a mastectomy would certainly be entitled to feel chagrined at it. In any case, I'm pretty sure it wasn't his intent( ;) ) to suggest that women's breasts are unimportant.
Why, if I didn't know better, I would swear that PZ was .......mansplaining! :eusa-naughty:

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
justinvacula wrote:http://i.imgur.com/gMBqw71.jpg

News for the usual suspects on FTB, Skepchick, and A+
What a steaming pile of sanctimonious shit.

A) How in the blue fuck would you know whether a person online is using their real name or not? If I post as Michael Richards from Nevada how the fuck would anybody online know that's as fabricated as Tony Parsehole?
B) Why are we stopping at "real names and photos"? Why not addresses and GPS locations? Oh, and phone numbers. Home phone numbers.
C) What's to stop somebody from using the identity (name, photo and address)s of an IRL enemy in order to stir shit for them online?

What a load of old wank and a blatantly obvious way to claim some kind of moral high-ground. Using your "real name" online is fucking pointless.
If I recall correctly, isn't Stephanie Zvan a pseudonym?

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Nerd of Redhead taking irony to new, stratospheric, levels:
Would you not agree that, perhaps, you should cite these before just shouting out accusations?
Who the fuck are you to tell anybody how to behave? Think about that before you tell anybody off.
This is the guy whose modus operandi (if that is not too big a word for his robotic inanity) consists entirely of telling people how to behave and telling them off.

He is the paradigmatic Pharyngula commenter.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-618065

Reverend Jim Jones, I mean, PZ Myers calling Justicar 'vermin' is almost as amusing. But he got it slightly wrong; the word he was looking for was actually 'cockroach' (or 'invenzi', as the Tutsis were called).

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Pitchguest wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:
justinvacula wrote:http://i.imgur.com/gMBqw71.jpg

News for the usual suspects on FTB, Skepchick, and A+
What a steaming pile of sanctimonious shit.

A) How in the blue fuck would you know whether a person online is using their real name or not? If I post as Michael Richards from Nevada how the fuck would anybody online know that's as fabricated as Tony Parsehole?
B) Why are we stopping at "real names and photos"? Why not addresses and GPS locations? Oh, and phone numbers. Home phone numbers.
C) What's to stop somebody from using the identity (name, photo and address)s of an IRL enemy in order to stir shit for them online?

What a load of old wank and a blatantly obvious way to claim some kind of moral high-ground. Using your "real name" online is fucking pointless.
If I recall correctly, isn't Stephanie Zvan a pseudonym?
No, I'm pretty sure that's her real married name.
It's not necessarily the name she uses for her work, however, and it's certainly not the name she uses for her published fictional writing (apart from one brief short story that her friend Henry Gee was kind enough to include in Nature.)

Post by Guest »

Jan Steen wrote:Nerd of Redhead taking irony to new, stratospheric, levels:
Would you not agree that, perhaps, you should cite these before just shouting out accusations?
Who the fuck are you to tell anybody how to behave? Think about that before you tell anybody off.
seems like a particularly fun comment to crop and paste at the end of basically every ftb/sc/a+ comment from elevatorgate onward

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Guest wrote:
Jan Steen wrote:Nerd of Redhead taking irony to new, stratospheric, levels:
seems like a particularly fun comment to crop and paste at the end of basically every ftb/sc/a+ comment from elevatorgate onward
Motion seconded! Would be perfect.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Miri of Brute Reason (or should that be Brutal Reason?) tries to explain the concept of "privilege",

http://freethoughtblogs.com/brutereason ... privilege/

and uses the same old canards we've heard so many times before. She even gets to add "intersectionality" into the mix. She's quite the loyal subject.

One comment asks if the concept only applies to men, and the response (by one "daniellavine") is thus,
Miri answers this in one of the comments above, actually. Let me put it this way: a vast majority of members of congress are male. There has never been a female president. A large majority of corporate executives are male. A majority of college professors are male. A majority of doctors are male. A majority of lawyers are male.

A majority of food service personnel are female. A majority of administrative assistants are female. A majority of nurses are female.

The majority of the population is female.

What did you have in mind for examples of female privilege? Usually I hear the fact that they usually get custody of the children in divorces but in a majority of cases men don’t even want custody. Besides that, child custody for a single mother also means that the mother has to pay for child care for when she’s at work and that she has to support two or more people on one person’s income. Doesn’t sound like much of a privilege.
I guess the concept of "privilege" is very US-centric in that they use "there has never been a female president" as a point of contention. (Even though she got pretty damn close.) I suppose they forget there had never been an African-American president before either. But then I suppose he's just another man. But in foreign nations, it is not so lopsided. In Sweden, we've had two female prime ministers, nearly all the cabinets are half women, and most of the directors at companies are women. In Germany, there's Angela Merkel, in Australia there's Julia Gillard. In fact, according to this list, there have been a number of women leaders (and presidents) in other nations other than the United States, including India, Pakistan, and Liberia.

http://www.filibustercartoons.com/chart ... eaders.php

And his view of child custody is even worse, insinuating that in the majority of the cases (bullshit) men doesn't even WANT custody. And, of course, that single mothers have to pay child support. What, and single fathers don't, you fucking dolt?

I swear, this "privilege" thing is getting more and more absurd. And that's regardless if they bring "intersectionality" into it.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Completely OT but Game of Thrones last night had me wincing! I'm sure more than a few Shakesville feminists who watch the series "ironically" were creaming their panties at a certain scene amirite?

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

I notice Vacula has put out a new photo of himself with a brand new haircut and shave, all ready for WISC2 (you lucky, lucky ladeeez)
http://i.imgur.com/53TjalL.jpg

I could have sworn I'd seen that look before - in a movie!

And then it came to me!

It wasn't from one movie, it was from a trilogy!

http://i.imgur.com/GSstOxn.jpg

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Tony Parsehole wrote:Completely OT but Game of Thrones last night had me wincing! I'm sure more than a few Shakesville feminists who watch the series "ironically" were creaming their panties at a certain scene amirite?
I winced as well. And I have no idea where and by whom he's being held. Don't spoil it!

Scunner

Post by Scunner »

Tony Parsehole wrote:Completely OT but Game of Thrones last night had me wincing! I'm sure more than a few Shakesville feminists who watch the series "ironically" were creaming their panties at a certain scene amirite?
Sadly, Parsehole, you're sort of right. Have a read of the comment by 'wommaning' (had to get it off someone else's page as she appears to have deleted it). It's not what you predicted, but it's still a fairly warped sense of priority:

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

Pitchguest wrote:Miri of Brute Reason (or should that be Brutal Reason?) tries to explain the concept of "privilege",

http://freethoughtblogs.com/brutereason ... privilege/

and uses the same old canards we've heard so many times before. She even gets to add "intersectionality" into the mix. She's quite the loyal subject.

One comment asks if the concept only applies to men, and the response (by one "daniellavine") is thus,
Miri answers this in one of the comments above, actually. Let me put it this way: a vast majority of members of congress are male. There has never been a female president. A large majority of corporate executives are male. A majority of college professors are male. A majority of doctors are male. A majority of lawyers are male.

A majority of food service personnel are female. A majority of administrative assistants are female. A majority of nurses are female.

The majority of the population is female.

What did you have in mind for examples of female privilege? Usually I hear the fact that they usually get custody of the children in divorces but in a majority of cases men don’t even want custody. Besides that, child custody for a single mother also means that the mother has to pay for child care for when she’s at work and that she has to support two or more people on one person’s income. Doesn’t sound like much of a privilege.
I guess the concept of "privilege" is very US-centric in that they use "there has never been a female president" as a point of contention. (Even though she got pretty damn close.) I suppose they forget there had never been an African-American president before either. But then I suppose he's just another man. But in foreign nations, it is not so lopsided. In Sweden, we've had two female prime ministers, nearly all the cabinets are half women, and most of the directors at companies are women. In Germany, there's Angela Merkel, in Australia there's Julia Gillard. In fact, according to this list, there have been a number of women leaders (and presidents) in other nations other than the United States, including India, Pakistan, and Liberia.

http://www.filibustercartoons.com/chart ... eaders.php

And his view of child custody is even worse, insinuating that in the majority of the cases (bullshit) men doesn't even WANT custody. And, of course, that single mothers have to pay child support. What, and single fathers don't, you fucking dolt?

I swear, this "privilege" thing is getting more and more absurd. And that's regardless if they bring "intersectionality" into it.
I wonder if the religiosity of the US has anything to do with the disparity you've outlined here (US vs the rest of the western world) Correlate religiosity with women in power positions (ie Europe) . Now this could be as causaly connected as global warming and pirates, but I could at least make a better argument for my position.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

"Privilege". A word fast becoming as misused as "racist".

When kept, middle-class, American house-wives are telling me to check my privilege because I disagreed with them, without knowing the first thing about me, then I feel quite comfortable in classing that person a complete cunt. Every time they are wrong or don't have an answer out comes the "PRIVILEGE!" card and I'm sick to my back teeth of it.

"Check your privilege" is the feminist answer to "Goddidit".

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Scunner wrote:
Sadly, Parsehole, you're sort of right. Have a read of the comment by 'wommaning' (had to get it off someone else's page as she appears to have deleted it). It's not what you predicted, but it's still a fairly warped sense of priority:

Holy fuck.....
there’s a difference between sexualized torture of women and sexualized torture of men in media—i trust you’re intelligent enough to understand why
"I trust you're intelligent enough to understand why" translates as "Don't ask me "why?" because it's FACT! And if you do ask you are a silly, unintelligent poo head".

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
I winced as well. And I have no idea where and by whom he's being held. Don't spoil it!
Oh shit yeah! I didn't think at all but the series hasn't made it clear yet has it? Fuck.....The books have spoiled it for me.

Cracking episode yet again.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Scented Nectar wrote:
Jack wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
Jack wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:Ok, I'm just gonna sit back and wait for all the cockquake pics to be posted. May I suggest that you all photograph (or video) them when they are in a good mood - erect?

signed,
Lecherous Nectar, Penis Objectifier and OM (Order of the 'Member').
Not gonna happen, unless you do us another one of your nice youtube videos, then we will see. You got a microscope?
My youtubes and blogging are mostly on hold until the end of the month (approx). I'm finally wrapping up some things before I'm more fully retired, afterwhich I'll be less distracted and more able to lose myself much more fully into the internet as one of my main hobbies. Rants, and who knows what else.

As for that microscope, I think I've had my fill of seeing micro-penises with The Amazing Atheist's oil video. At the risk of TMI, I'm a bit of a size pig when it comes to penises. I have an extra fondness for large ones. Not that there's anything wrong with smaller ones sometimes, but... what can I say? Some men like big boobs, and some women like big dicks. And vice versa etc whatever. :)
I'm a big dick. As anyone here, they will vouch for me. Does that count?
It'll have to count. I don't think anyone will be actually posting their dick pics here anyways. :)
Eucli was Scented's sock puppet!

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Scunner wrote:
Actually, on second read, that dude is being sarcastic....Isn't h/she?

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

Dick Strawkins wrote:I notice Vacula has put out a new photo of himself with a brand new haircut and shave, all ready for WISC2 (you lucky, lucky ladeeez)
http://i.imgur.com/53TjalL.jpg

I could have sworn I'd seen that look before - in a movie!

And then it came to me!

It wasn't from one movie, it was from a trilogy!

http://i.imgur.com/GSstOxn.jpg
Check your non-potato headed privilege, Strawkins!

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Now that will remind you of something. Freeze Peach?
Everyone Guilty Three Times a Day

The inevitable result of this seemingly innocuous, or at least hyper-technical, rule is that all students would arguably be guilty of harassment several times a day. According to ED/DOJ standards, even playing uncensored rap music at a college party, posting something controversial on Facebook, or defending former U.S. Representative Todd Akin in class could now constitute "harassment." (And engaging in satire or parody is just inviting expulsion!) It is now up to "victims" - presumably the more oversensitive or even neurotic members of the student community - to decide when unwelcome words constitute actionable harassment. In other words, in a hypothetical 500-person lecture on gender disparities in the workplace, the one person who takes offense to slide five has the power to silence the professor, and to keep the 499 other students from hearing the speech in question. The Supreme Court some time ago referred to this tactic as "burning the house to roast the pig," and has consistently ruled it unconstitutional.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Aneris: that is worrying as shit. What's going on in the US these days?!?

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

Aneris wrote: Now that will remind you of something. Freeze Peach?

The inevitable result of this seemingly innocuous, or at least hyper-technical, rule is that all students would arguably be guilty of harassment several times a day. According to ED/DOJ standards, even playing uncensored rap music at a college party, posting something controversial on Facebook, or defending former U.S. Representative Todd Akin in class could now constitute "harassment." (And engaging in satire or parody is just inviting expulsion!) It is now up to "victims" - presumably the more oversensitive or even neurotic members of the student community - to decide when unwelcome words constitute actionable harassment. In other words, in a hypothetical 500-person lecture on gender disparities in the workplace, the one person who takes offense to slide five has the power to silence the professor, and to keep the 499 other students from hearing the speech in question. The Supreme Court some time ago referred to this tactic as "burning the house to roast the pig," and has consistently ruled it unconstitutional.
Young men should sign up for gender studies courses and be offended by the "sexual nature" of the professor's words. :whistle:

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Aneris wrote: Now that will remind you of something. Freeze Peach?

Britain have had shit like this for a few years now. The Public Order Act basically makes it possible for a copper to arrest you for saying a word he doesn't like and the Racial and Religious Hatred Act is open to abuse by any religious nut who chooses to have a hissy fit about people making fun of his religion.
Obvious jokes on twitter, saying nasty things on Facebook about dead people and reminding muslims that Muhammad was a pedophile (he fucking was!) are all arrest-worthy now.
Ho-hum.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Aneris: that is worrying as shit. What's going on in the US these days?!?
Pinker added in a subsequent tweet he isn't the Harvard professor mentionef there, but that he agrees with the assessment. The emphasis was mine, and it totally reminds me of our favorite bloggers, the FC(n) of Ophelia Benson and Co.

acathode

Post by acathode »

Pitchguest wrote:In Sweden, we've had two female prime ministers, nearly all the cabinets are half women, and most of the directors at companies are women
We haven't had any women prime ministers in Sweden, maybe you're thinking of Finland? IIRC they've had two women as prime ministers, Norway have had one (the one Breivik wanted to murder), and Denmark have one, currently in power.
Neither are most of the directors at companies women, rather the opposite, and there's been quite a lot of talks on if there should or shouldn't be laws forcing companies to hire more women for high positions.

You're right that almost half (45%) of our MPs are women though, and frankly, the biggest reason we haven't had a women PM is likely mostly due to a madman murdering Anna Lindh 10 years ago, and not any deeply rooted sexism or misogyny in the electorate.

Cliché Guevara

Post by Cliché Guevara »

Christina Applegate had a double mastectomy several years ago: http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/10/14/o. ... astectomy/

I'm sure if I checked the archives, I'd see that a "lifelong feminist" like Peezy gave her a condescending pat on the head for using her girly brain to make such a big rational decision, yes? Or did he pass over that story in silence because she mentions God and spirituality?

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

acathode wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:In Sweden, we've had two female prime ministers, nearly all the cabinets are half women, and most of the directors at companies are women
We haven't had any women prime ministers in Sweden, maybe you're thinking of Finland? IIRC they've had two women as prime ministers, Norway have had one (the one Breivik wanted to murder), and Denmark have one, currently in power.
Neither are most of the directors at companies women, rather the opposite, and there's been quite a lot of talks on if there should or shouldn't be laws forcing companies to hire more women for high positions.

You're right that almost half (45%) of our MPs are women though, and frankly, the biggest reason we haven't had a women PM is likely mostly due to a madman murdering Anna Lindh 10 years ago, and not any deeply rooted sexism or misogyny in the electorate.
You're right, I was thinking about Finland. But in any case, many countries have had women leaders to rule them, and the one that I was most surprised to learn have a woman leader was Pakistan, and the second to that was Liberia - a place so riddled in tribalism and Christianity, you would think the prospect of a woman ruling the country would be presposterous. Isn't that remarkable, how in a country where you would expect women to have no privilege to speak of, that one of them should attain seemingly the biggest power of them all? And this in a (former?) American colony?

If we're to apply the concept of "privilege" to that election, that would amount to an ideological impossibility. Or perhaps we're just talking about the United States. Or perhaps some feminists are just so insanely rooted in their radicalism that they're blinded to anything else. Case in point: Benson, Zvan, Myers, Lousy, etc. (Speaking of which, did you see Lousy's latest blog post? About Cumberbatch in Star Trek? Somehow it was unsurprising to read the suggestion he subtly weaves in that he thinks should replace Cumberbatch. With ideologues like him, they tend to become less and less unambiguous.)

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

I know that a lot of the developed world's media wrote some pretty outrageous lies about behavior of Haitians after the earthquake, but does anyone know if the below (from Opheliar's ridiculous post on sexist bears) has any significant (ie, more than just a single witnessed incident) basis in truth?
It reminded me of Haiti after the earthquake, when men simply pushed and shoved in the food lines and women and children couldn’t get any food.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:I know that a lot of the developed world's media wrote some pretty outrageous lies about behavior of Haitians after the earthquake, but does anyone know if the below (from Opheliar's ridiculous post on sexist bears) has any significant (ie, more than just a single witnessed incident) basis in truth?
It reminded me of Haiti after the earthquake, when men simply pushed and shoved in the food lines and women and children couldn’t get any food.
I suppose that until she provides EVIDENCE of that CLAIM it is just OPINION and can be *FLOOSH* DISMISSED!?

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:I know that a lot of the developed world's media wrote some pretty outrageous lies about behavior of Haitians after the earthquake, but does anyone know if the below (from Opheliar's ridiculous post on sexist bears) has any significant (ie, more than just a single witnessed incident) basis in truth?
The way she outright singles out women (and children) and just lays the blame on men? I would, with a degree of confidence, say that she's lying her arse off. Or she's misrepresenting the data.

I couldn't with any confidence claim that NO men did this, obviously, but to say with no manner of evidence or proof (FLOOSH?) "when simply pushed and shoved in the food lines and women and children couldn't get any food", that just sounds like fabrication. Not to mention, if these allegations are true, I imagine some of the men shoving and pushing had children of their own, or wives, or whatever, and the way she words it makes it seem they're nothing but selfish bullies.

windy

Post by windy »

acathode wrote:
We haven't had any women prime ministers in Sweden, maybe you're thinking of Finland? IIRC they've had two women as prime ministers
...minne, han har tappat sitt minne, är han svensk eller finne...? :)

Yes, we've had two women prime ministers and one president. But it's a very imperfect metric- as Pitchguest mentioned, Pakistan has had a woman PM, so does that make them less patriarchal than Sweden?

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Also, yeah, I'd have to second the motion that Ophelia has gone off the deep end. She's still going on about how the debate still on-going on Nugent's (which I thought had ended months ago) makes the case to call her a "cunt" (which it isn't) and then the old Hermit himself makes an appearance to defend her honour, by repeating the allegations that we're there simply to make the case to call women (not "a woman", mind you, but women) "cunts" and other "slurs."

And now this thing about "sexist bears"? Really? Whatever you say, Ophelia. [slowly backs away]

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Pitchguest wrote:Also, yeah, I'd have to second the motion that Ophelia has gone off the deep end. She's still going on about how the debate still on-going on Nugent's (which I thought had ended months ago) makes the case to call her a "cunt" (which it isn't) and then the old Hermit himself makes an appearance to defend her honour, by repeating the allegations that we're there simply to make the case to call women (not "a woman", mind you, but women) "cunts" and other "slurs."

And now this thing about "sexist bears"? Really? Whatever you say, Ophelia. [slowly backs away]
Want to have fun about this shit? Go to the Yemisi post I'm commenting on. Don't mind my own comments, though, they are mostly drunk...

http://freethoughtblogs.com/yemmynistin ... -confusing

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

windy wrote:
acathode wrote:
We haven't had any women prime ministers in Sweden, maybe you're thinking of Finland? IIRC they've had two women as prime ministers

Yes, we've had two women prime ministers and one president. But it's a very imperfect metric- as Pitchguest mentioned, Pakistan has had a woman PM, so does that make them less patriarchal than Sweden?
India, Iceland and NZ have all had female Prime Ministers.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

KiwiInOz wrote:
windy wrote:
acathode wrote:

Oh, and at least one of the two female NZ Prime Ministers was atheist and initially unmarried/living in sin, the Icelandic PM is lesbian (as I understand it), and the Indian PM was (gasp) a Woman of Colour.

Wonders will never cease.

TheMudbrooker

Post by TheMudbrooker »

KiwiInOz wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote:
windy wrote:
acathode wrote:

Oh, and at least one of the two female NZ Prime Ministers was atheist and initially unmarried/living in sin, the Icelandic PM is lesbian (as I understand it), and the Indian PM was (gasp) a Woman of Colour.

Wonders will never cease.
Israel had a female head of state too. Can't recall off hand if Israel has a PM or president, I think it's a prime minister.

Karmakin

Post by Karmakin »

Canada has had a female PM as well, although it didn't really end well (electorally) for her at all. Not really her fault however.

Nincompoop

Post by Nincompoop »

KiwiInOz wrote:
windy wrote:
acathode wrote:

Great Britain and Norway too.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Like Mandelbrot sets, Koch snowflakes, and certain varieties of broccoli, Ophelia and Rebecca are endlessly self-similar.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... umzoom.gif

Parody Accountant

Post by Parody Accountant »

http://i.imgur.com/lqShY3n.png

"Seems to me that god and the devil are both the same"

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

However, we should point out that merely being elected president or prime minister doesn't necessarily mean automatically or immediately doing a good job of it. That's probably something to mention to balance out the discussion, because it seems when the SJW's discuss the prospect of women leaders, and women in congress (still being US-centric) and so on and so forth, they speak of it as if this would, well, *miraculously* solve the problem. And that's just nonsense.

It's the same when Anita Sarkeesian (to go a bit off-topic) says there aren't enough women in games, and a woman main character would make it more interesting. Is that a fact? Admittedly I haven't played every game featuring a woman as a main character (of which there are plenty), therefore I can't account for their quality, but as with games featuring a man as a main character there are bound to a few stinkers. And those stinkers, woman as main character or not, did not suddenly make it interesting or better by comparison. For instance, the new game "Remember Me?" with a woman as main looks amazing, both visually and conceptually, at least in the trailers I've seen, but I can't know for sure whether it's good, its story or its gameplay, until I've tried out. And ultimately that's what I, and I suspect any remotely competent game reviewer, looks at and judges the game from: content. Not whether the main is a woman or not.

Southern

Post by Southern »

Nincompoop wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote:
windy wrote:
acathode wrote:

Great Britain and Norway too.
Brazil, too, has a presidenta (even if the neutral presidente form is the most accepted one, a bunch of bootlickers insist in using the forced female form of the noun. Fuckers).

And yes, she does a job as shitty as the male imbeciles before her. Who'd know? Incompetence is genderless

sacha

Post by sacha »

cunt wrote:Don't care. Jolie will always be hot as fuck.

[youtube]HR9uzRTAqSc[/youtube]

I'm with cunt

sacha

Post by sacha »

Eskarina wrote:
PZM wrote:Wow. Jolie is a beautiful woman who makes a living as an actress, where looks can be important, and she discovered that she carried an allele of BRCA1 that puts her at a very high risk of coming down with breast cancer sometime in her life. She looked at her situation rationally — she is an atheist after all — and made the decision to get a preventive double mastectomy. She chose to maximize her chances of living a long life over preserving a secondary sexual characteristics.
I found this highlighted (by me) statement incredibly dumb. Since when is it a logical conclusion that atheist ==> rational? (Not that I criticise Jolie's decision.)

Oh, I forgot: he recently divorced scepticism and now has only atheism to fall back on. But atheism is bitch, PZ.

And it must chagrin Myers deeply that Jolie doesn't give a fuck what he thinks.

haha! I thought the same thing when reading that. I've been to a few atheist events and they were filled with people who believe in all sorts of pseudoscience, conspiracy theories, and logical fallacies. Give me a deist sceptic over a woo-believing atheist any day.

And I fucking hate to side with PZ on the subject of breasts, but really, breasts are not important, unless you want to breast feed a child, and they can rebuild breasts out of one's own fat and tissue from another part of their body, so "fake tits" is a spectrum.

welch

Post by welch »

Okay, so I admit, because I'm not as stupid as humanly possible, I generally stay the fuck out of FTB comment threads. I don't have to actually dive into shit to know that it smells bad when it's on you, but because Ally is thus far, different, I've been hanging out there.

Are the normal cast of dipshits over there really stupid? I mean, morales asks a question that as asked is meaningless:
What do you imagine feminism’s stance regarding women in the military to be, and what do you understand the opposition to that stance to be?
I reply to that and another related comment, and state why I think it's meaningless. I think I am clear on that:
Pen, I think the cannon-fodder thing is related, but tends to get into the weeds really quickly. For example, Morales’ comment, which contains a huge issue as written, namely the implication that there is this thing called “feminism” that has a singular coherent viewpoint.

That’s not even slightly correct. There are groups of people of varying size that support certain ideals and actions that have been shoved under the umbrella of “feminism”, but just like any loose confederation of groups of people, you find that the only thing they seem to agree on is the particular spelling of “feminism” in a given language.

For example, there are a few radfem groups that are of the opinion that transfolk are either sekret rapists or sekret chill girls. Now, the *vast* majority of feminists or people who support parts of feminism without the label would think that’s completely stupid, yet, those groups claim the lable just as much as say, NOW.

So you can’t ask what “…you imagine feminism’s stance…” is on anything, because there’s nothing that is “feminism”. It’s a bag of cats as a term. You may as well ask what blondes think of something, you’ll get the same level of accuracy for all people who have blonde hair. The only way to ask what “feminism” thinks is to ask about specific named feminist groups who have issued statements on the subject.
and what does morales do? HE ASKS IT AGAIN...because...then I'll change my mind? No, really:
John C. Welch:
So you can’t ask what “…you imagine feminism’s stance…” is on anything, because there’s nothing that is “feminism”. It’s a bag of cats as a term. You may as well ask what blondes think of something, you’ll get the same level of accuracy for all people who have blonde hair. The only way to ask what “feminism” thinks is to ask about specific named feminist groups who have issued statements on the subject.
Well, I can (and I did!). And you responded that it’s a meaningless question.

Fine.

So, what do you imagine feminists’ stance regarding women in the military to be, and what do you understand the opposition to that stance to be?
WHY WOULD MY ANSWER CHANGE WHEN THE QUESTION HAS NOT????

Which I tell him:
You know Morales, i’m puzzled. I just said, pretty clearly, that, at least as I see it, there’s no way you can say what “feminists” say about *anything* because they are not some kind of homogenous group that has a unified statement on everything. I even gave a small example of how some of the groups on the fringe have some opinions that the more mainstream groups would consider idiocy.

You *acknowledge* that I said that, and correctly interpret that I think what you asked is a meaningless question.

You then immediately ask me the same fucking question that I just stated was meaningless because you cannot say what feminists think because as an overall group, they have no single unified opinion on anything.

Which now makes me really curious about something, and if you can provide some detail here, it would be interesting, to wit: If it was a meaningless question the first time you asked it, why would that change? It is still a meaningless question as asked, even if you ask it a second time.

Should you do nothing in the comments on this post until the heat death of the universe but ask this same question of me over, and over, and over again, my response shall not change. The question you asked is meaningless. If you want to change it to reference a specific group that has actually talked about this, then my response would also change, but what you asked me is, by any practical means, literally unanswerable.

Were I a cynical man, (and as an IT person, I am, in truth, very cynical), i would suggest that you are deliberately asking the question this way so that no matter how I answer, you can, of course, find a feminist group that disagrees, and therefore be able to accuse me of not knowing anything about feminism.

So ask that question a third time, or three hundred times. Ask it until your fingers bleed and your computer breaks down into its component elements. It is still meaningless, and until you change that question to have some specific meaning, my response is the same as the first one you read was
I mean holy fuck, do people really fall for that shit? "Well, since you keep asking me a meaningless question Lucy, what the fuck, I'll try to kick that footbAAAAAAUGH MY BACK, IT HURTS SO BAD!!!!"

I know i'm not up on all the myriad defects commenting over there, but is that actually how they all tend to work? Because if so, they'd need to study for a month just to get A collective IQ point. I mean a single one.

Southern

Post by Southern »

Pitchguest wrote:However, we should point out that merely being elected president or prime minister doesn't necessarily mean automatically or immediately doing a good job of it. That's probably something to mention to balance out the discussion, because it seems when the SJW's discuss the prospect of women leaders, and women in congress (still being US-centric) and so on and so forth, they speak of it as if this would, well, *miraculously* solve the problem. And that's just nonsense.

It's the same when Anita Sarkeesian (to go a bit off-topic) says there aren't enough women in games, and a woman main character would make it more interesting. Is that a fact? Admittedly I haven't played every game featuring a woman as a main character (of which there are plenty), therefore I can't account for their quality, but as with games featuring a man as a main character there are bound to a few stinkers. And those stinkers, woman as main character or not, did not suddenly make it interesting or better by comparison. For instance, the new game "Remember Me?" with a woman as main looks amazing, both visually and conceptually, at least in the trailers I've seen, but I can't know for sure whether it's good, its story or its gameplay, until I've tried out. And ultimately that's what I, and I suspect any remotely competent game reviewer, looks at and judges the game from: content. Not whether the main is a woman or not.
A female character would not, by herself, make a shitty game any less shitty, or vice-versa. Zelda: Wand of Gamelon was the first Zelda game were you played as the Princess, and it is horrible. Would Link made it any better? Well, Zelda: Faces of Evil is basically the same game with Link as the protagonist, and guess what? It is as awful as the other.

cunt

Post by cunt »

John Morales is 100kg of wet meat.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Taking a page from FTbullies

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthis/t ... ebook-ever

This Is The Most Epic Brand Meltdown On Facebook Ever

The two owners of Amy’s Baking Company Bakery Boutique & Bistro took over the restaurant’s Facebook page last night to fight unruly commenters, and man, was it embarrassing.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

cunt wrote:John Morales is 100kg of wet meat.
More like 50 litres of warm piss.

Southern

Post by Southern »

justinvacula wrote:Taking a page from FTbullies

The two owners of Amy’s Baking Company Bakery Boutique & Bistro took over the restaurant’s Facebook page last night to fight unruly commenters, and man, was it embarrassing.
I imagine PZ, Ophelia, and Brayton running that piss-poor excuse for a "blog network" exactly like that.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

sacha wrote:
Eskarina wrote:
PZM wrote:Wow. Jolie is a beautiful woman who makes a living as an actress, where looks can be important, and she discovered that she carried an allele of BRCA1 that puts her at a very high risk of coming down with breast cancer sometime in her life. She looked at her situation rationally — she is an atheist after all — and made the decision to get a preventive double mastectomy. She chose to maximize her chances of living a long life over preserving a secondary sexual characteristics.
I found this highlighted (by me) statement incredibly dumb. Since when is it a logical conclusion that atheist ==> rational? (Not that I criticise Jolie's decision.)

Oh, I forgot: he recently divorced scepticism and now has only atheism to fall back on. But atheism is bitch, PZ.

And it must chagrin Myers deeply that Jolie doesn't give a fuck what he thinks.

haha! I thought the same thing when reading that. I've been to a few atheist events and they were filled with people who believe in all sorts of pseudoscience, conspiracy theories, and logical fallacies. Give me a deist sceptic over a woo-believing atheist any day.

And I fucking hate to side with PZ on the subject of breasts, but really, breasts are not important, unless you want to breast feed a child, and they can rebuild breasts out of one's own fat and tissue from another part of their body, so "fake tits" is a spectrum.
Five of my primary care patients have had bilateral mastectomies, 3 for cancer and 2 for BRCA2. Ages ranged from 35-50 at the time of surgery. One had tissue expanders placed at the time of mastectomy (with implants later inserted surgically into the space formed); another had tissue expanders 15 yrs after her mastectomies, then implants. The other 3 have chosen to go without reconstruction. And I have quite a few patients who have had a unilateral mastectomy & chose not to have reconstruction.

Among my patients, the women who have had unilateral mastectomy typically wear a "prosthesis" (essentially stuffing to fill out that side of their bra) - but the 3 patients who have had bilateral mastectomies without reconstruction go braless and prosthesis-less, and tell me they find it kind of refreshing not to have to deal with breasts & bras. (Obviously, not everyone would have the same reaction.)

I periodically get nasty form letters from one insurance company or another informing me that I'm a Bad Doctor because my patient so-and-so hasn't had a mammogram in >2 yrs. I know they mean well, but it's irritating to have to KEEP telling them that that person doesn't have breasts...

welch

Post by welch »

Southern wrote:

I imagine PZ, Ophelia, and Brayton running that piss-poor excuse for a "blog network" exactly like that.
The episode of "Kitchen Nightmares" there is amazing. Poor ramsey.

DownThunder

Post by DownThunder »

This is how much they didnt feed the trolls:

http://www.jmorganmarketing.com/wp-cont ... /food1.jpg

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Skep tickle wrote: Five of my primary care patients have had bilateral mastectomies, 3 for cancer and 2 for BRCA2. Ages ranged from 35-50 at the time of surgery. One had tissue expanders placed at the time of mastectomy (with implants later inserted surgically into the space formed); another had tissue expanders 15 yrs after her mastectomies, then implants. The other 3 have chosen to go without reconstruction. And I have quite a few patients who have had a unilateral mastectomy & chose not to have reconstruction.

Among my patients, the women who have had unilateral mastectomy typically wear a "prosthesis" (essentially stuffing to fill out that side of their bra) - but the 3 patients who have had bilateral mastectomies without reconstruction go braless and prosthesis-less, and tell me they find it kind of refreshing not to have to deal with breasts & bras. (Obviously, not everyone would have the same reaction.)

I periodically get nasty form letters from one insurance company or another informing me that I'm a Bad Doctor because my patient so-and-so hasn't had a mammogram in >2 yrs. I know they mean well, but it's irritating to have to KEEP telling them that that person doesn't have breasts...
Ya know something Dr Tickle? I tend to get a bit frustrated when soldiers are thanked for their service to country, but people like you who actually do something to help people are ignored.

So I'd just like to say thank you for your service to humanity.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

KiwiInOz wrote:Ya know something Dr Tickle? I tend to get a bit frustrated when soldiers are thanked for their service to country, but people like you who actually do something to help people are ignored.

Well, I do thank soldiers for their service to country; it's not their fault their country may choose to use their service in boneheaded shortsighted ways.

I see what I do as helping individuals - quite a few individuals, maybe a couple of thousand over my career - but not as helping humanity. And given what I do, some of it is helping people in their inevitable walk toward, and through, death's door. So thanks, but I'm not putting that crown on.

"Helping humanity" to me would mean helping many, many people live their lives the way they want to, which I tend to assume would mean happy & healthy & having available a range of life choices they would like to make, without hurting anyone else.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Skep tickle wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote:Ya know something Dr Tickle? I tend to get a bit frustrated when soldiers are thanked for their service to country, but people like you who actually do something to help people are ignored.

Well, I do thank soldiers for their service to country; it's not their fault their country may choose to use their service in boneheaded shortsighted ways.

I see what I do as helping individuals - quite a few individuals, maybe a couple of thousand over my career - but not as helping humanity. And given what I do, some of it is helping people in their inevitable walk toward, and through, death's door. So thanks, but I'm not putting that crown on.

"Helping humanity" to me would mean helping many, many people live their lives the way they want to, which I tend to assume would mean happy & healthy & having available a range of life choices they would like to make, without hurting anyone else.
I agree with your first paragraph, and my statement was not meant to impugn soldiers, rather it was to highlight a dissonance.

I beg to quibble over your second paragraph. You are one of a group of people whose work seeks to help rather than hurt humanity. No crown, just reality. And palliative care is an incredibly important aspect of that.

And to your third - all one can do is make a contribution to the best of one's ability.

So I'll bloody well thank you for your service to humanity, and there's not a bloody thing you can do about it. So there.