Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Old subthreads
welch

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Post by welch »

Steersman wrote:
d4m10n wrote:
Hunt wrote:I like this part of Swan's post:
On January 22, I sent a four-and-a-half-page letter to Ron Lindsay. Four pages of that letter (plus an additional 11 pdfs) documented the parts of the policy on hostile conduct that Vacula had already declared open contempt for, both with respect to speakers at the conference, potential attendees, the conference itself, and secular conferences in general. Unlike Reinhardt, I’m perfectly comfortable putting my own name on my work.
What the actual fuck? I'm totes hiding my identity here in the 'Pit. No one will ever figure out that “D4M10N” is actually “DAMION” (elite uncrackable code!) or be clever enough to click the links in my sig, or realise that I'm using the same damned profile pic in every fucking forum. I'm a fucking master of disguise, you guys.

Oh and as to *hostile* conduct, there is exactly zero evidence that JV has threatened anyone, unlike, say, Francisco B., Greg L., Josh S., or any of the other frenzied wielders of porcupines and torches. Not to mention their unsubtle threats of employer-doxxing directed at Abbie and Mykeru. The sheer chutzpah on these guys could power a wind-farm for a year.
Looking like a whole pile of “he said; she said”. I realize that, to coin a phrase, you have to break a few eggs to make an omelette, but I can’t say that all of the drama is really helping all that much, except maybe to bring things to a head.

However, it would be nice to know precisely what evidence Zvan has for that supposed “hostile conduct” and “open contempt” that Justin is supposedly guilty of. One hopes that Lindsay in effect laughed in her face on viewing that “evidence”.

But I really have to wonder at her “update”:
Update #2: Reinhardt has posted this “solicitation”. Apparently one solicits attendees to complain by mentioning to two non-attendees and the conference organizer in a side conversation most people will never see that if speakers and attendees had concerns that it would be better they be made before Vacula raised a bunch of money and bought his ticket. One does not broadcast said solicitation to, say, people in an actual position to make a complaint.
Apart from wondering how she would have known that Spokesgay and company were “non-attendees” some 4 months ago, one has to ask whether she knows how many people they retweeted, e-mailed, posted, gossiped, or otherwise communicated that message to - speaking of "stochastic terrorism". As for her last sentence – which really doesn’t scan all that well – one has to assume she means Melody who didn’t seem particularly sympathetic to Justin’s right to be at that conference. One might reasonably wonder how Lindsay would view actions that don't look all that "impartial".

Although I have to wonder at this as well:
Also contrary to the story Reinhardt is telling, I didn’t ask for Vacula to be banned. Here’s the last half page of my letter:
Out of curiousity and as a point of reference, did you do so and what evidence did you have if you did?

It would help steffy a lot if she wasn't so dishonest about so many things.

welch

Post by welch »

Guest wrote:
welch wrote:oh yeah. I'm having fun with that on misplaced grace, where now, Oolon is the SME on...me. It is quite interesting to watch "skeptics" completely shit on the concept to gain feminist cred from their group.
so I heard "Just in case you missed John’s point: Women ain’t shit and deserve rape threats, harassment and slander/liberl because women ain’t shit. This is all John ever says. Anywhere. At any time."

IS THIS AS TRUE AS IT TOTALLY SOUNDS?????????

Oh yeah. Bynkii.com. Nothing but misogyny since 2003

cunt

Post by cunt »

I'm not sure that wikis have any responsibility to keep up obvious bullshit.

welch

Post by welch »

sacha wrote:
welch wrote:
sacha wrote:
not at all uncommon. Many successful and powerful CEOs are known to spend time with a Dominatrix.

I could go into detail about the psychology here, but instead let me just tell you that it is a rare man who understands what I want. Many exhibit submissive behaviour in response to my confidence.
Never quite understood that.
which? or both?
The assuming that a confident woman wants a submissive partner. I've never found that to be true, in fact, my experience shows the exact opposite to be true, that a confident woman wants a confident partner who are fully functional adults, not overly large children who need taking care of.

karlaporter

The Real Deal

Post by karlaporter »

I asked Justin Vacula to agree to allow me to interview him, no holds barred, no questions off limit. My thought is that if people knew him aside of this Internet war they would find he is a likable enough guy. So, get ready to learn things you never knew about JV. This was totally MY idea, this is not about 'self-promotion' - it's about getting to know people outside of the issues, for who they really are. He flipped this idea right on me and said "then you'll be next". I'm quite private when it comes to my personal life so at first I declined, saying I felt it would be too invasive. And then I took the challenge. I'm always asking show guests questions about themselves - why should I have special exemption? What's good for the goose is good for the gander! Anyway, here are the details... I hope you'll consider tuning in. XO

http://www.skepticink.com/justinvacula/ ... la-porter/

welch

Post by welch »

Aneris wrote:
Steersman wrote:
Aneris wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:
other people wrote:[...] {something about 'cunt', again} [...]
You seem desperate to escape the point that in Britain 'cunt' has a different definition. You slipped the US definition in and hoped nobody would notice.
I wonder why this is important for anyone. Sure, the "other side" is quite anal about it. However look at it this way: Let's say tomorrow everyone agrees that its really one of the bad werdz. Meanwhile in the parallel universe everyone agrees that it's merely an insult. Alright and then? Whatever comes out, neither of it says anything about the mindset of a person (which I thought is kind of the point, dealing with idiots that take everything as a character test to draw wild assumptions in order to demonize and feed their own narrative). But, there is certainly a correlation between vocabulary and milieu and it might be one of those terms that indicate (in some cultures) that a person belongs to a particular one.
I think you sort of answered your own question: to cut the legs out from under those “wild assumptions” used to demonize others and feed their own narratives. For instance, Jadehawk is quite sure that “cunt” and the like qualifies as a “slur” which is, apparently, defined in her and the FfTB lexicon as being automatically applicable to an entire class, even though there’s not a shred of evidence for the claim in any dictionary I’ve looked through. The only type of word that I know that that mechanism might apply to are ones like “murder”, and “rapist” where the opprobrium is, by definition, applicable to every individual in the class.

Yet she, and Zvan and many of her ilk, use that as some sort of carte blanche to insult their interlocutors while denying others the right to return the favour. Bunch of gutless wonders.
I agree. Before it became a trench war with sides getting stuck in the mud, their wordplay looked all about "being right" and not at all about any social issue. When I still discussed at FfTB/Pharyngula, I noticed several language games that came across as a power fantasy of them. In essence, they invented ever new allegations with the clear intention to have the target show submission to them (alternatively, get them ejected). They would attack on the mildest reason and blow it out of proportion, and then extort apologies and the like from their targets. Otherwise, if a new user would approach already submissive, ideally with a sexist confession story, they would welcome them.

But you know my pet theory about Pharyngula. They are people who want to be right, and want to show off their knowledge. The way to do that was historically to find a Creationist (i.e. someone who is wrong by default) to use as a foil in order to peacock with biology knowledge, to get positive strokes from peers, and thereby improve social standing within the ingroup. When that dried up, and the topic shifted towards social justice issue, they had to find a new way to achieve the same. Ultimately, in my opinion it doesn't matter how they identify a usable foil.

Someone set that idea, and others have picked it up since then, and yet others disagreed and continue to disagree. Because it is arbitrary and a game, I don't really see how this can be resolved. Nobody will change their mind about the issue, because, in my opinion, there is no issue. It's a game.
What they generally are is intolerant of disagreement. Oh, they tolerate minor oscillations on things, but actual full-on disagreement, regardless of tone is simply verboten.

This was illustrated rather ably during "Pepsigate". If you read that, including the reactions to Abbie's posts, and esp. PeeZus's posts about it, you pretty much clearly see the setup for what PeeZus et al have become. The foundation is there. Same thing with how they deal with creationists.

I am not a "mild" person when it comes to calling people out on bullshit. But, i get off the bus at this full-on attack of anyone who is a non-atheist, or vice-versa. It's why I really refuse to define my relationship with the universe for others. (I talked about this at some length on Reap's podcast.) That, and it's really no one's business but mine.

Many of my friends here in Tally are theists. Others are not. It makes no difference to me. They are people I consider my friends, and I don't use their (a)theistic views as some kind of moronic litmus test, as PeeZus insists one must do. I see all sides of that scale being both generous and douchey, and honestly, the specific belief, or lack thereof is not a huge determining factor. Gervais is dead right about that.

welch

Post by welch »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:If your comment starts with "Oolon, thanks for the info", it's a very bad start indeed. And getting your info from one single group of people without further inquiry won't help you understand what's going on. Skepticism 101.

Whatever happened to real skeptics? Oh, right, they either don't give a clam, or they come to the Pit. Or they don't gice a clam and still come to the Pit (hi!)
I've learned that the best way to manage oolon is to, as much as humanly possible, not even acknowledge his presence. I find that's the fastest way, bar none to get rid of the little turd. He's simply incapable of original thought, so If you give him nothing to react to, he's done, and quickly.

karlaporter

Post by karlaporter »

Pitchguest wrote:Haha, Ophelia's has fucking lost it. She thought she needed her own "Page o' Hate" (as a badge of honour I guess) so she made one. Sadly even her so-called "harassment" is less outrageous than her actual claims of harassment. How far down the rabbit hole do you have to go to get that loopy?

By the way, how does this translate to "harassment" in Ophie's mind?

http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... /justy.png
Did you notice the URL extension is "justy.png"? She reamed me out for using her name in what she considered to be the diminutive form. Play fair!

welch

Post by welch »

sacha wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote: Yes. I remember that. She also sent him an uninvited, sexually graphic (erect cock), sexually violent (sharp claws grabbing a penis), bestiality containing, ascii picture of a "penis bird". You see, it's totally ok when she does the type of sexual harrassment which she's always pretending people are doing to her. She included quotes of things Coffee Loving Skeptic had said in the past which she didn't like, followed by the penis bird which was her response to it - sending sexually graphic and violent imagery uninvited to someone!
I hope you're being hyperbolic there. "Violent imagery"? Really? Come on, let's not stoop to the SJW level. (and yes, I'm almost sure you are being hyperbolic).
Most certainly hyperbole, but in *their* eyes it would be. I'm sure if one of us had sent them an ASCII of a bird grasping an erect cock with its claws that they'd go straight to harassment.
how about a bird with it's claws grasping a labia? what do you think their reaction would be to that? <-------rhetorical
fap fap fap

karlaporter

Post by karlaporter »

LurkerPerson wrote:That is some weird fucking list. Why all the title bannings, like Mayor and Prince and Princess? Are they afraid people will pass themselves off as royalty? Why would they ban Lucifer and Christ but not Jesus? Because otherwise they'd have had to ban Mohammed as well?
There would also be quite the discontent with Spanish / Latino immigrants named or wanting to name their baby boys Jesus.

welch

Post by welch »

sacha wrote:a cunt and his iphone

H/T franc

I know the type well. It would cost him a tonne of money just to get me to listen to him for five minutes.

and yes, I'm a mac user and I have an iphone - it's the best way to have a franc sockpuppet appear to be a real person

That cunt. Jesus, i am SO happy that his cunty fucking application and his cunty fucking company got fined 800 thousand dollars because the stupid cunt doesn't give a fuck about other people's data, and that the stupid cunt has to again apologize for his cunty "you must opt-OUT so my cunty application doesn't spam you're entire fucking address book with cunty bullshit."

If I read that a hobo beat him flat with both his fucking iPhones, I'd donate to the hobo's defense fund.

welch

Post by welch »

DownThunder wrote:On the false rape threat, apparently a FB page was set up by some supporters of Meg Lanker.
Meg Lanker-Simons is innocent we believe what she did was justified and deserves not to be held accountable for her accusations we stand behind you sister
I think this quote really gets inside the mental processes of people who live by threat narratives and victim complexes such as feminism.

When you position yourself as the never-ending victim and someone constantly under threat, you always believe your actions are justified and you should never be held accountable.

Sounds familiar.
Short version:

END JUSTIFIESS THE MEANS

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Steers and cunt, what page needs to be deleted?

If you are referring to the Phawrongula page where Strange states how she found some rape jokes at The Onion funny, and then a few weeks later says that finding humour in assault is fucked up, those were her words verbatim.

Also, that Pharwrongula page says nothing whatsoever about the kerfuffle at TFoots place about the self-rape stuff.

sacha

Post by sacha »

welch wrote:
sacha wrote:
welch wrote:
sacha wrote:
not at all uncommon. Many successful and powerful CEOs are known to spend time with a Dominatrix.

I could go into detail about the psychology here, but instead let me just tell you that it is a rare man who understands what I want. Many exhibit submissive behaviour in response to my confidence.
which? or both?
The assuming that a confident woman wants a submissive partner. I've never found that to be true, in fact, my experience shows the exact opposite to be true, that a confident woman wants a confident partner who are fully functional adults, not overly large children who need taking care of.
indeed. If I wanted a child, I would have had one, and there are few behaviours less attractive than being put up on a pedestal by a sychophant.

confidence is sexy... a wise and experienced man who is confident and dominant in bed is Shangri-la for sacha.

They are few and far between

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

Just a bit of levity for you all at the expense of Westboro Baptist:

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

sacha wrote:
welch wrote:
sacha wrote:
welch wrote:
sacha wrote:

which? or both?
indeed. If I wanted a child, I would have had one, and there are few behaviours less attractive than being put up on a pedestal by a sychophant.

confidence is sexy... a wise and experienced man who is confident and dominant in bed is Shangri-la for sacha.

We are all here in the Slymepit sacha. No need to look further.

sacha

Post by sacha »

*sycophant

sacha

Post by sacha »

KiwiInOz wrote:
sacha wrote:
welch wrote:

We are all here in the Slymepit sacha. No need to look further.
Kiwi, you know my door is always open for you

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

John Greg wrote:Steers and cunt, what page needs to be deleted?

If you are referring to the Phawrongula page where Strange states how she found some rape jokes at The Onion funny, and then a few weeks later says that finding humour in assault is fucked up, those were her words verbatim.

Also, that Pharwrongula page says nothing whatsoever about the kerfuffle at TFoots place about the self-rape stuff.
;-) Good show, John :-)

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

The comments on this post are tops on my hilarity list tonight:

http://skepchick.org/2013/04/ai-you-eat ... in-a-fire/

A sampling:
dr. dr. professor / May 1, 2013, 1:46 pm Log in to Reply

One thing that aggravates me is the whole “privilege” argument when it comes to characterizing any diet.

Eat lots of meat. Privileged.
Vegan/Vegetarian. Privileged.
Paleo. Privileged.
Gluten-Free. Privileged.
Like to Cook. Privileged.

The news for anyone who pulls a privilege argument is that MOST EVERYONE IN THE US IS PRIVILEGED over the rest of the world in their diet. Especially when you’re talking about an internet forum, it’s usually one privileged person playing more-destitute-than-thou and calling the other privileged person privileged.

In many parts of the world, people eat what they can, and what that is varies on where they are. The mere ability to choose so many diets is privilege and it applies to all of us.
lunaburning / April 30, 2013, 5:24 pm Log in to Reply
Tell me about it. As an atheist and a vegan, I am possibly the most hated woman on the planet. Ah, well.

Moniqa Aylin / April 30, 2013, 6:04 pm Log in to Reply
I see your atheist vegan and raise you atheist proponent of HAES and permissive eating. Nobody likes hearing that fat folk aren’t inherently unhealthy and thinness does not make one a superior person.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Yeah right, Dawkins, Harris, Dennet, stop what you are doing, because Jen can't relate to it. And besides, your mere existence as privileged white men removes air from other people. And you there! Don't make music, stop doing that art, don't write anymore, because Jen doesn't like it.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

How to Solve the Sexism in SEO 'Problem': Stop Complaining & Take Action

http://searchenginewatch.com/article/22 ... ake-Action
We debated a lot, but two things were excruciatingly clear:
We have more power in this industry than we give ourselves credit for. (Don't forget we can already get better links than our male counterparts.)
We need to stop complaining about it and do something to change it.
"We know there are less female speakers, but I don't think that's a result of gender bias," Gillette said. "Conferences want to get the well-known, and in my opinion, a lot of the older, well-known SEOs happen to be men."
Still, there's little argument that there are just downright more men in the industry than women, so naturally, there will be a higher percentage of men speaking, right?
"Ultimately, we (SES Conference) do see lots more submissions from male speakers but our number of submissions from women are starting to increase," Roth said.
Yes, fewer women mean fewer pitches, but maybe women are just more hesitant to put themselves out there. Maybe women aren't as furious when it comes to speaking in public. And maybe there are some women who feel like should be on a panel just because they are women and their pitches aren't up to snuff.
"This demand for more 'female inclusion' for the sake of more female inclusion is something I take as an insult," Hoffman said. "I've busted my ass to create a name for myself, and I've earned my speaking slots and my reputation. Why should someone else be placed on a panel, or a top list or included in an interview simply because they wear a bra?"
OK: So What Can We Do To Get More Women in SEO?

"The same way I'd encourage men to get involved in SEO or speak," Hoffman said. "Everyone wants to focus on this ‘gender divide,' but in my opinion, your gender doesn't put you at a handicap in this industry or in life — anymore than I believe that your sexual orientation or race does. Mindset has more to do with it."
We also owe it to ourselves – women and men alike – to stop taking shortcuts to just game the algorithm. It's not sustainable, and you will see repercussions from that tactic. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but I believe enough in Google's power that they will find you.

Plus, when you're good at what you do, no one asks "Hey, how are you ranking for credit cards as a girl?"

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:http://i.imgur.com/zk4DSTo.png
Got trouble with the FfTB Commentariat? Are they difficult to remove?

Try Reason™ — developed with the highest demands of bloggers to keep the pests at bay! Apply on large blog area and repeat the procedure only a few times and they will be gone! Prophylactic use will prevent pests from settling down. Caution: try on a minor blog area to test for incompatibility, some FTB blogs are known to show unwanted sideeffects.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Aneris wrote: Yeah right, Dawkins, Harris, Dennet, stop what you are doing, because Jen can't relate to it. And besides, your mere existence as privileged white men removes air from other people. And you there! Don't make music, stop doing that art, don't write anymore, because Jen doesn't like it.
Hahahahahahahaha... yes, Jen, Dawkins doesn't relate to atheism at all! :lol: :lol: :lol:

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Aneris wrote: Yeah right, Dawkins, Harris, Dennet, stop what you are doing, because Jen can't relate to it. And besides, your mere existence as privileged white men removes air from other people. And you there! Don't make music, stop doing that art, don't write anymore, because Jen doesn't like it.
No mention of fat, white, bearded American male Meyers, or fat, white, bearded American male Ed Brayton, or or skinny, white, bearded American male whatever-Meyers's-coblogger-is-called?

Why not those people too, Jenny Titobble? PS, I have done made a drawing of you and it is this...

:hankey:

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

welch wrote:
Steersman wrote: <snip>
Apart from wondering how she would have known that Spokesgay and company were “non-attendees” some 4 months ago, one has to ask whether she knows how many people they retweeted, e-mailed, posted, gossiped, or otherwise communicated that message to - speaking of "stochastic terrorism". As for her last sentence – which really doesn’t scan all that well – one has to assume she means Melody who didn’t seem particularly sympathetic to Justin’s right to be at that conference. One might reasonably wonder how Lindsay would view actions that don't look all that "impartial".
It would help steffy a lot if she wasn't so dishonest about so many things.
You won’t get much of an argument from me on that question. Case in point was the “discussion” that I had recently with her about her comments in Nugent’s dialog on the supposedly nefarious activities of “white, cis-gendered, middle-to-upper-class males”:
Stephanie wrote:We may not or we may or we must shape our agendas to appeal to groups of people whose relationships to these various issues are very different from the relationships of the white, cis-gendered, educated, middle-class to upper-class men who have shaped the traditional concerns of our movements.
Which Phil objected to by asserting:
Phil wrote:5. snip “white, cis-gendered, educated, middle-class to upper-class men who have shaped the traditional concerns of our movements.”

It ascribes to someone an intrinsic identity because of their sex, race, or sexual orientation. This is not acceptable, regardless of “oppressor”, “oppressed”, or minorities. It shouldn’t come into account for what someone has to say.
While I think he was a little wide of the mark or overly vague as I don’t think he gave much detail about what he thought were the supposed causal connections between “intrinsic identity” and the “shaping of concerns”, I think it quite credibly highlighted some decidedly problematic implications in Stephanie’s phrasing. But her response was, I think, totally off the wall and out to lunch, and was, if I’m not mistaken, a large part of the reason why our moderator, Skep tickle, objected to it:
Stephanie wrote:25a. The first comment on my opening statement provides an excellent example. Phil Giordana unilaterally declared it “unacceptable” that I discuss how the organizations of the secular and skeptical movement have been influenced by the fact that most of the leaders of these movements have historically been white, cis-gendered, educated, middle to upper-middle class, and male. He was not willing to see where that discussion went before passing judgment on it or even to have the discussion at all. He apparently did not feel that he was in a position to risk the outcome of that discussion.
Phil, of course, being the sort of guy likely to be turned into a bowl of Jell-O by the prospect of that discussion, and quite likely thereby to be obliged by his girlfriend to take a necessary break from the Internet for a weekend or two ….

My response to that assertion by Stephanie:
Steersman wrote:However, I also think you have made some real howlers that egregiously contradict the spirit if not the letter of those moderation guidelines. For instance, I think you went way off the rails and into the weeds in a spectacular fashion in your argument using Phil Giordana’s “this is not acceptable” as some kind of evidence of an “emotional response”. Would you have gotten the picture if he had said as well, “as saying 2+2=5 is not acceptable”?

My point - and Phil's, I expect - being, of course, that her bare-faced assertion about “white, cis-gendered … males” had as much credibility as someone asserting “2+2=5”. But the real kicker is in her subsequent responses (in two comments) to that:
Stephanie wrote:And 2 + 2 = 5 is analogous to the idea that someone who has interests will favor those interests when they’re in charge. Also, someone with an interest in discrediting another person would declare that it is unacceptable for that person to be given a chance to claim that 2 + 2 = 5.
Now, one might argue – if one wished to be charitable – that she was simply responding in kind without giving any thought to the implications of the counter-examples she provided – which at least suggest some plausible motivations. However, for her to not realize that the two cases were entirely different kettles of fish, if not critters from completely different phyla, suggests that she was rather obtuse, and reacting more from butt-hurt than from anything else. Either that or she was so intellectually dishonest as to refuse to admit that maybe her original claim and subsequent ones based on it had more and bigger holes in them than a sieve.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
Aneris wrote:

Yeah right, Dawkins, Harris, Dennet, stop what you are doing, because Jen can't relate to it. And besides, your mere existence as privileged white men removes air from other people. And you there! Don't make music, stop doing that art, don't write anymore, because Jen doesn't like it.
No mention of fat, white, bearded American male Meyers, or fat, white, bearded American male Ed Brayton, or or skinny, white, bearded American male whatever-Meyers's-coblogger-is-called?

Why not those people too, Jenny Titobble? PS, I have done made a drawing of you and it is this...

hankey
You don’t think – just maybe – that that is going a little too far? You might want to try criticizing their principles and values rather than making snarky and juvenile "drawings" of their looks – at least if you insist on that, you might want to try doing so on their own blogs - looks kind of gutless otherwise ….

lonesagi

Post by lonesagi »

Steersman wrote: While I think he was a little wide of the mark or overly vague as I don’t think he gave much detail about what he thought were the supposed causal connections between “intrinsic identity” and the “shaping of concerns”, I think it quite credibly highlighted some decidedly problematic implications in Stephanie’s phrasing.
Steersman, compared to you everyone is vague.[1] Not everyone has your mad citation skills.[2]

[1] viewtopic.php?p=73673#p73673
[2] viewtopic.php?p=74963#p74963

rpguest

Post by rpguest »

welch is a weapon

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

I hate all of you for reminding me about McCreights twit. Also Thunder/Rockets half-time and we arent doing well.

Ugh. UUUUUUGH.

1-- Speakers-- One of my favorite HIV sequence diversity/evolution people is in Seattle. Too bad its a dude and they dont pick speakers based on their achievements, but their crotch. The head of LANL sequence database, I would assume, has a vagina. But that is me making assumptions about her gender based on how she chooses to present herself, and I should be ashamed of myself.

2-- Jen has a fucking blog. She can write about science whenever she wants, and can take advantage of her 'fan base' to disseminate scientific information. But she cant get the A+ afterbirth off BlagHag so she wants to be *given* (for no reason, she has no history of scientific blogging) a fresh science blog on Wired. GOD what a cunt. Want to write about science, Jen? THEN FUCKING WRITE ABOUT SCIENCE instead of watching stupid fucking TV shows and playing computer games. I loved Civ too-- WHEN I WAS IN HIGH SCHOOL. GROW UP.

3-- For about 0.05 seconds I was all 'Huh. Thats the first time I have ever seen Jen express any interest in her research.'
Oh man some of my lab supplies arrived :D WOOO EXPERIMENTATION TIME
Then I was all 'Yup. There we go.'
I used to want to be a professor. Now I want to be a poor hermit writer just so I never have to deal with people & nepotism
I vaguely remember her accusing Michael Shermer of encouraging her to go to graduate school. Shame on you, Mr. Shermer. As a tax payer, I want my money back.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

sacha wrote:
Kiwi, you know my door is always open for you

Matt Cavanaugh

ERV

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Reading the brilliant ERV blog and following Abbie's fascinating links offered here is the best science fun I've had since I dated a herpetologist, and pillow talk included discussion of articles in her copies of Science, Science News, and Cell!

cunt

Post by cunt »

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Re: ERV

Post by Lsuoma »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Reading the brilliant ERV blog and following Abbie's fascinating links offered here is the best science fun I've had since I dated a herpetologist, and pillow talk included discussion of articles in her copies of Science, Science News, and Cell!
So that's were you got your herpes...

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Really. If only “please stop” or “no thanks” or “leave me alone” actually worked.
http://freethoughtblogs.com/lousycanuck ... ent-108641

Let's try it. Ophelia, please stop. No thanks. Leave us alone.

Michael K Gray

Re: Jim the Cat Made Me Do It

Post by Michael K Gray »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:I may have to call the guy with the ferrets to solve the problem.
Get Liuet.-Colonel(?) Cleese to sort them out.
http://youtu.be/EvhdWBBuBpA?t=2m54s

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

katamari Damassi wrote:
d4m10n wrote:Hey ERV, is genomics in your wheelhouse?

:mrgreen:
Will McCreight be on display as a human/horse hybrid?
Utterly unnecessary, and unfunny.

lonesagi

Post by lonesagi »

Pitchguest wrote:
Really. If only “please stop” or “no thanks” or “leave me alone” actually worked.
http://freethoughtblogs.com/lousycanuck ... ent-108641

Let's try it. Ophelia, please stop. No thanks. Leave us alone.
The funniest thing about the rift: Although I have never, EVER attempted to post on FTB, emailed any of these people, and (outside of the 'pit) only posted twice within the atheo-sceptic sphere of influence, apparently I am a bad person,a harrasser, and a troll... because, reasons. I come here to voice my opinion to like-minded people (at least on some subjects.). If the creepy clowns don't like it they should read elswhere.

Another thing, and I may be veering into grumpy old man territory here; who gives a fuck if 13 year olds get their feelings hurt? It's a harsh world we live in; all teenagers SHOULD have their fee-fee's hurt to toughen them the fuck up, no matter which of the Heinz 57 genders they are. People who don't toughen up wind up like the A+ers. Emotional cripples who can't deal with baggy clothes.

lonesagi

Post by lonesagi »

I just noticed typo after typo in the above post. My apologies for butchering the written word.

lonesagi

Post by lonesagi »

Michael K Gray wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:
d4m10n wrote:Hey ERV, is genomics in your wheelhouse?

:mrgreen:
Will McCreight be on display as a human/horse hybrid?
Utterly unnecessary, and unfunny.
If a human/cow hybrid was mentioned would it be udderly unecessary?

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

sacha wrote:Kiwi, you know my door is always open for you
Is that what the kids are calling it these days?
You live and learn.
"Door".
Anything to do with Jim Morrison?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Lsuoma wrote: So that's were you got your herpes...
LOL. Herpetologists find that joke so amusing.

I did gain a lofty appreciation for the mating practices of salamanders and tuataras, though.

Verily, the chick introduced me to The Selfish Gene (this was decades ago). That and the sex made putting up with the rest of the craziness worthwhile. So I was, indeed, infected after a fashion.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Lsuoma wrote: So that's were you got your herpes...
LOL. Herpetologists find that joke so amusing.

I did gain a lofty appreciation for the mating practices of salamanders and tuataras, though.

Verily, the chick introduced me to The Selfish Gene (this was decades ago). That and the sex made putting up with the rest of the craziness worthwhile. So I was, indeed, infected after a fashion.
Tuatara are way cool. I remember watching one moving through the undergrowth on Matiu Island in Wellington Harbour.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

It was a bit like this, but just after they had been reintroduced to the island.

[youtube]ahgSQaueJXE[/youtube]

cunt

Post by cunt »

Steersman wrote:Steers and cunt, what page needs to be deleted?

I deleted the "self-rape-threat" section as the amount/quality of evidence presented would embarrass a 9/11 troofer.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

KiwiInOz wrote:Tuatara are way cool. I remember watching one moving through the undergrowth on Matiu Island in Wellington Harbour.
No surprise It took a kiwi to proclaim Tuatara power!

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

cunt wrote:
Steersman wrote:Steers and cunt, what page needs to be deleted?

I deleted the "self-rape-threat" section as the amount/quality of evidence presented would embarrass a 9/11 troofer.
Good man - bad information can derail all sorts of conversations. I had assumed that John had done so himself and I had thought that he was being coy with the question and responded accordingly.

But I seem to recollect thinking that there were a few other highly questionable articles there, and if I can find the time maybe I'll take a shot at editing a few of them myself ...

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:http://i.imgur.com/zk4DSTo.png
If McCreight started writing about science her blog would be only read by tens of people.

Seriously, what on earth gives McCreight the idea that she would be chosen as a science writer?
She is known for two things - her boobquake stunt, which was apparently someone elses idea in the first place but got a lot of publicity in a short space of time; and atheism plus.
Both of those ideas she has now disavowed: Boobquake because it encouraged sexist attitudes to women; and Atheism plus, because that particular baby didn't turn out the way she planned.
http://i.imgur.com/Dc4hX2h.jpg

Doesn't it occur to her that wired is a serious publication and might want a little more than lame articles on the evolution of pokemon?

If she's looking for a network that's desperately in need of someone who writes science articles then why the fuck doesn't she do that job for FTB?
At the moment they just have precious few biology bloggers. Most of the articles on biological science actually seem to come from Taslima!
And she invariably gets some detail hideously wrong.
McCreight has the opportunity to prove her ability at quality science writing.
That is an enormous privilege that isn't open to many aspiring writers.
She has the chance already but seems to think there is nothing to prove, that it is inevitable that Wired would have given her the job because ...reasons?
Even Watson, who has a much higher profile name than McCreight, couldn't hack it as a science writer for Slate for the simple reason that she showed no insight or ability in the job at hand. Having a famous name is not enough. You have to actually know your stuff and do the work.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Laurie Penny, a rather well known English (champagne) social justice warrior, wrote a piece in the New Statesman a couple of years ago about the word cunt.
Penney, for those who don't know of her, is the English equivalent of Amanda Marcotte.
If anyone in the UK is going to support Ophelia's campaign to have the use of 'cunt' punished by eternal damnation, then it's going to be Penney.
Yet read what she says.

http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/lauri ... -cunt-hint
It is, according to Germaine Greer, the one word in the English language that retains the power to shock. This week, after the third BBC newsman in two months – this time the revered Jeremy Paxman – dropped the c-bomb on live television, it appears that the world's best-respected broadcasting operation is in the grip of a collective and extremely specific form of Tourette's syndrome, whereby presenters can't help but slip the worst word of all into casual conversation. One is reminded of those playground horror stories of cursed words, infectious words that, once read or overheard, niggle away in the forefront of your brain until, like poison, you're forced to spit them out, with deadly consequences. But what – ultimately – is so terribly offensive about the word "cunt"?

The word shocks because what it signifies is still considered shocking. Francis Grose's 1785 A Classical Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue defines "cunt" quite simply as "a nasty name for a nasty thing". All sorts of people have a problem with 'cunt', even those who normally considerthemselves progressive and enlightened: last week, for example, I was invited to speak at a public meeting where I happened to use the word in reference to a member of the audience.

Horrified silence fell in this roomful of hardened activists, followed a few seconds later by nervously appreciative laughter. The incident later exploded on the internet, with some complaining that I had had no right to use such a provocative and shocking word at a meeting; that the word is too aggressive, too graphic. These, for context, are people who are currently cheerleading calls for a general strike and/or the overthrow of the government, but they still consider a young woman saying "cunt" in public a little too, too much.

What is it about that word? Why, in a world of 24-hour porn channels, a world with Rihanna's "Rude Boy" playing on the radio and junior pole-dancing kits sold in Tesco, is the word "cunt" still so shocking? It's a perfectly nice little word, a word with 800 years of history; a word used by Chaucer and by Shakespeare. It's the only word we have to describe the female genitalia that is neither mawkish, nor medical, nor a function of pornography. Semantically, it serves the same function as "dick" or "prick" – a signifier for a sexual organ which can also be used as a descriptor or insult, a word that is not passive, but active, even aggressive.

There are no other truly empowering words for the female genitalia. 'Pussy' is nastily diminutive, as if every woman had a tame and purring pet between her legs, while the medical descriptor "vagina" refers only to a part of the organ, as if women's sexuality were nothing more than a wet hole, or "sheath" in the Latin. Cunt, meanwhile, is a word for the whole thing, a wholesome word, an earthy, dank and lusty word with the merest hint of horny threat. Cunt. It's fantastically difficult to pronounce without baring the teeth.

It is this kind of female sexuality – active, adult female sexuality – that still has the power to horrify even the most forward-thinking logophile. Despite occasional attempts by feminists such as Eve Ensler to "reclaim" the word cunt as the powerful, vital, visceral sexual signifier that it is, the taboo seems only to have become stronger. Media officials avoid it with the superstitious revulsion once reserved for evil-eye words, as if even pronouncing "cunt" might somehow conjure one into existence. The BBC wouldn't be in half so much trouble if James Naughtie had called Jeremy Hunt MP a "prick" or a "wanker" or a "cold-blooded Tory fucker".

For me, "cunt" is, and will always be, a word of power, whether it denotes my own genitals or any obstreperous comrades in the vicinity. The first time I ever used it, I was 12 years old, and being hounded by a group of sixth-form boys who just loved to corner me on the stairs and make hilarious sexy comments. One day, one of them decided it would be funny to pick me up by the waist and shake me. I spat out the words "put me down, you utter cunt", and the boy was so shocked that he dropped me instantly.

Ever since then, "cunt" has been a cherished part of my lexical armour. I use it liberally: in conversation, in the bedroom, and in debates. I only wish I could hear more women saying it, more of us reclaiming "cunt" as a word of sexual potency and common discourse rather than a dirty, forbidden word. If the BBC continues its oily pattern of vulgar logorrhoea, I'd like to hear Julia Bradbury saying it on Countryfile. I'd like to hear Kirsty Young saying it on Desert Island Discs.

Men have so many words that they can use to hint at their own sexual power, but we have just the one, and it's still the worst word you can say on the telly. Let's all get over ourselves about "cunt". Let's use it and love it.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

I really like what Laurie penny wrote. I am in total agreement with her on this subject.

*golf clap*

cunt

Post by cunt »

Good article.

[youtube]Z-IYk7YVW80[/youtube]

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

cunt wrote:Good article.

Z-IYk7YVW80
OH SHIT!!! This is hillarious! And they're priests too! Thanks for the clip, Cunt, I may have to save it as a favorite.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

cunt wrote:Good article.
Z-IYk7YVW80
If ever I meet Carol Vorderman, the first thing that I shall say is: "Beef Curtains".

FrankGrimes

Post by FrankGrimes »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
FrankGrimes wrote: *snip*
Don't forget your bleached then dyed red hair, obligatory nose ring and ex German army jacket.
*snipagain*

I wonder if they have those in the US (especialy the ex German army jacket). It's a bloody infestation here. I may have to call the guy with the ferrets to solve the problem.

And jokes aside, here they have a tendency to get a puppy so they will ingraciate people into giving them money while they sit on their ass juggling or playing diabolo. Once the puppy is too old to be cute, off to the shelter it goes, and they get a new puppy. I've seen this firsthand in my homeless period. And those people were mostly well-off lawyer's or doctor's kids who would go home to sleep every night.

When I think about Setar or half-fish or some others, these fuckers come to mind.

Aaaaand now I'm pissed off just remembering all that shit!
I was thinking of the girl in the video of the MRA protest. There's "Big Red", snarling away and making herself look like a loon, then there's her off-sider who kind of looks like one of those. Not sure she's wearing an ex-German army jacket but she probably should. Good for the revolutionary image don't you know. I bet she has a puppy too. Poor thing. The puppy I mean.

I don't have anything against German army jackets - I have one myself. They're practical and cheap. But that's the only reason I own one. I used to live in a fairly cold place so it worked for me.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

FrankGrimes wrote:I don't have anything against German army jackets - I have one myself. They're practical and cheap. But that's the only reason I own one. I used to live in a fairly cold place so it worked for me.
Ich habe(n) nicht einen deutschen Krieg Mantel.
But, I do have several moth-eaten Australian Army battle-uniforms, none of which fit me any more.
And a few naval jackets, that seem to have shrunk o'er the years.
In exact geometric concordance with each other.
What are the chances that military fabric might have shrunk in precise parallel to each other?
I blame my washing machine.

FrankGrimes

Post by FrankGrimes »

Michael K Gray wrote:
FrankGrimes wrote:I don't have anything against German army jackets - I have one myself. They're practical and cheap. But that's the only reason I own one. I used to live in a fairly cold place so it worked for me.
But, I do have several moth-eaten Australian Army battle-uniforms, none of which fit me any more.
What are the chances that military fabric might have shrunk in precise parallel to each other?

Your blame is misplaced. It's the patriarchy.

clownshoe

Post by clownshoe »

Trigger Warning: We WISH Justin Vacula would harass us
Full Frontal Zealotry episode 17 is out.
http://everdense.com/ffz/

Apples

Post by Apples »

cunt wrote:http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... nd-suffer/

Flewellyn on the right to die and assisted suicide issue.
As someone with a disability, I can’t say that I disagree with the court’s decision in this case. I get the arguments for physician assisted suicide in the cases of terminal illnesses, but…the problem is, it won’t end there.

We KNOW it won’t, because we’ve seen that road before. We know that the standards of what conditions are considered “death-worthy”, for lack of a better term, would expand. It would expand to include disabilities that are not terminal, or painful, but merely different or odd. It would expand to include people who may well enjoy their lives just fine, on the grounds of “burden to society”. The rules about requiring explicit consent of the patient would be relaxed, slowly but surely, so that noncommunicative people would be “euthanized” for the “greater good”. Autistic people, people with Down’s syndrome, cerebral palsy, mental illnesses of various sorts…all of them would be in the line of fire.

Again, we’ve seen it before. I know everyone here is thinking that I am thinking of Nazi Germany’s “Action T4″, and yes, that’s part of it, but Action T4 was inspired by the American eugenics movement. We had mandatory sterilization laws for “undesireables” in the United States, the last of which was repealed in the 1970s. The attitude that some people, those who are too different to fit into the rather narrow mold that society carves out for people, are better off not living because it’s too inconvenient to everyone else…that hasn’t gone away at all. If anything, it may be worse now than in decades past, at least in the United States. I remain dubious that other countries in the West are necessarily better.

I feel for Ms Fleming, I really do. Her condition is painful and debilitating. But the answer to that is better palliative care, not killing her. The risks to everyone who doesn’t fit society’s model of “abled” are too great if we allow for a “right to die”, because that would inevitably become a “right to be killed”.
Of course the regular commenters are tearing that paranoid idiocy apart. Though apparently unaware he's been pushing horrible shit like this for months now, as a moderator, in the forum that FTB set up and promoted.

:popcorn:
This thread is a social justice performance art classic -- all the zoo-animals in one cage -- Josh, Flewellyn, 'Tis Ulysses, and Setar sniping at one another, the personal is political -- all principled arguments buried under self-adoring mutual accusations of gaslighting, dog-whistling, lack of empathy, etc., everyone covered with feces at the end and no one the wiser.

Michael K Gray

Re: Jim the Patriarch Made Me Do It

Post by Michael K Gray »

FrankGrimes wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:
Your blame is misplaced. It's the patriarchy.
Thank you, kind sir.
Call that a conundrum clarified.
A bamboozle de-bolloxed.
A riddle rectified.
A poser panned-out.

At last. We have a working definition of "The Patriarchy"
Vis: "A Military Laundry".
(See the BBC Series "Nebulous" for a TRUE working example of same.)
A mix of secret military with prosaic laundry.

From now on, when they talk about "The Patriarchy", we know that they are secretly referring to a Laundry Service in East Peckham.