Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads
Dilurk

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by Dilurk »

Notung wrote:Having just defended MRAs (sort of):
justinvacula wrote:...I am working on a guest post for AVoiceForMen...
Er... is that a good idea?
s/AVoiceForMen/some feminist site/

Would you say the same thing?

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Notung wrote:Yes, I think she's mainly on 'our side' but disagrees with a lot of the stuff that is also on 'our side'. That could apply to other people too - for instance Russell Blackford doesn't like a certain 'c' word and D4M10N agrees with RW on elevatorgate...

I think I'm a similar case. Sometimes I see things on Twitter from 'our side' that make me shake my head.
This reminds me of Elevatorgate. I went over to baboonland to see what the fuss was all about and some of the "MRA" comments had me going:

WTF? Where did these people come from? Since then I have done some research and my current working hypothesis is that they are not really "MRAs" but mainly victims of institutionalized misandry in schools and institutions.

Something I was not aware of previously.

Apparently, what the radfems and their ilk have apparently indirectly created, is steady stream of misogynists over the last two generations with no sign that it is going to stop any time soon.

That is going to have some serious repercussions over the coming years. If the FfTBullies think that misogynists are everywhere now, just wait. Because if my understanding of the demographic situation is correct, 40 years from now they are going to be living in a nightmare.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Za-zen wrote:Marcotte is a fuckwit.

What has the pussy riot case got to do with feminism? What because they have tits? The pussy riot case is all about the right to protest, offend! and free speech, something benson marcotte and the rest of the fftb fuckwits oppose.
In answer to the first question, yes. That's exactly it. I recently saw Blackford make a post about that Aan fellow - the atheist jailed in Indonesia. Apparently they couldn't get the 25,000 signatures needed to get the white house to (maybe) try to do something about him. I commented there and wondered if the harassment/MRA/t-shirt/DMCA etc bit distracted people. Going by what I remember in my RSS feed, I saw way more posts on the latter than the former. I also wonder (now) if someone will try the same thing with them, and how well will it be promoted?

Yeah, it is a free speech issue, and their sex has nothing to do with it. It's reprehensible no matter who it happens to. I did see somewhere in my feed someone complaining about calling the people called out by Pussy Riot "victims", although I think the term is technically correct (perhaps "targets" might be better, though). Victim does not imply innocence.

Marcotte - double yeah on that call.

Finally, should we start calling her Nanny "Virulent" Pheelie, to give her something else to obsess about? :lol:

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Heehee - Stefunny is now finding that the Vacula-Amy-DMCA thing isn't as clear-cut as she thought (this comment, and those below): http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamo ... ent-109738

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

CommanderTuvok wrote:Have any of you guys seens this insanity on Twitter. It ends with Opheliar saying linking the term "virulent" with "feminism" (even a certain type of feminism as specified) is "misogynist.
Twitter 1234-1.jpg
Amazing. According to the attachment, Ophelia Benson apparently said this:
Ophelia Benson wrote:Connecting the word “feminism” with the word “virulent” ... is misogyny.
I guess she must think that since all women sit at the right hand side of God Herself, the only crime they can possibly be guilty of, as individuals or as groups, is an excess of niceness and spiceness.

But as I don’t have a Twitter account and have been banned at Ophelia’s Place, someone might want to ask her where Valerie Solanas fits in her understanding of the apparently monolithic and homogenous entity known as feminism:
Solanas wrote:”Life" in this "society" being, at best, an utter bore and no aspect of "society" being at all relevant to women, there remains to civic-minded, responsible, thrill-seeking females only to overthrow the government, eliminate the money system, institute complete automation and eliminate the male sex.
—Valerie Solanas, SCUM Manifesto
And whether or not that might not qualify as an example of “virulent feminism”, if at the extreme end .....

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

AndrewV69 wrote:
Notung wrote:Yes, I think she's mainly on 'our side' but disagrees with a lot of the stuff that is also on 'our side'. That could apply to other people too - for instance Russell Blackford doesn't like a certain 'c' word and D4M10N agrees with RW on elevatorgate...

I think I'm a similar case. Sometimes I see things on Twitter from 'our side' that make me shake my head.
This reminds me of Elevatorgate. I went over to baboonland to see what the fuss was all about and some of the "MRA" comments had me going:

WTF? Where did these people come from? Since then I have done some research and my current working hypothesis is that they are not really "MRAs" but mainly victims of institutionalized misandry in schools and institutions.

Something I was not aware of previously.

Apparently, what the radfems and their ilk have apparently indirectly created, is steady stream of misogynists over the last two generations with no sign that it is going to stop any time soon.

That is going to have some serious repercussions over the coming years. If the FfTBullies think that misogynists are everywhere now, just wait. Because if my understanding of the demographic situation is correct, 40 years from now they are going to be living in a nightmare.
Misogynists are the new "red scare" and "satanic panic". I think I had a few misogynists in my neighborhood, but I ratted them out to the Sisterhood, and they burned their homes and families alive. I got a cookie. I did good, right? :liar:

(Actually, that reminded me of the programs in Judge Dredd that have the kids as informers - taken from real life, no doubt. The movie looks interesting, too. /end derail)

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Steersman wrote:
CommanderTuvok wrote:Have any of you guys seens this insanity on Twitter. It ends with Opheliar saying linking the term "virulent" with "feminism" (even a certain type of feminism as specified) is "misogynist.
Twitter 1234-1.jpg
Amazing. According to the attachment, Ophelia Benson apparently said this:
Ophelia Benson wrote:Connecting the word “feminism” with the word “virulent” ... is misogyny.
I guess she must think that since all women sit at the right hand side of God Herself, the only crime they can possibly be guilty of, as individuals or as groups, is an excess of niceness and spiceness.

But as I don’t have a Twitter account and have been banned at Ophelia’s Place, someone might want to ask her where Valerie Solanas fits in her understanding of the apparently monolithic and homogenous entity known as feminism:
Solanas wrote:”Life" in this "society" being, at best, an utter bore and no aspect of "society" being at all relevant to women, there remains to civic-minded, responsible, thrill-seeking females only to overthrow the government, eliminate the money system, institute complete automation and eliminate the male sex.
—Valerie Solanas, SCUM Manifesto
And whether or not that might not qualify as an example of “virulent feminism”, if at the extreme end .....
I'd suspect that she would either say that "she wasn't a feminist", "she was/is crazy", or something like that. I'd be extremely surprised to see her disavow such things in any meaningful way. Maybe she'd call them "gender traitors who are only doing it to get laid with the menz" (gotta be some real parallel logic in that derail of a train of thought). :lol:

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Oh blimey, I thought I smellled cabbage (re: Steffy's thread about the Vacula-Amy-DMCA thing): http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamo ... ent-109761

Apparently, Justin's been undertaking a 'prolonged, irrational, vitriolic campaign of unwarranted anti-feminist harassment of Surly Amy'. Apparently.

Notung

Post by Notung »

Of course. Just like connecting the word "Yes" with "but".

Notung

Post by Notung »

Dilurk wrote:s/AVoiceForMen/some feminist site/

Would you say the same thing?
You mean would I say the same thing if it was a guest post on a feminist site? No, I wouldn't. It wouldn't be a risk for his reputation, and couldn't be used against him. IMO.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Rogan totally destroyed Jamie.

Jamie didn't have a fucking argument, he built straw and attempted to conflate, stumbled and fell as joe called him on it, and all he was left with was his appeal to emotion. He all but said "i've bought into feminist dogma, and i don't have a valid argument".

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Tigzy wrote:Heehee - Stefunny is now finding that the Vacula-Amy-DMCA thing isn't as clear-cut as she thought (this comment, and those below): http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamo ... ent-109738
Hilarious! Of course she'll cling stubbornly to her beliefs about fair use, like a religious person clinging to superstitions.

Honestly, the amount of internet righteous indignation that's been expended on self-involved Surly Amy and her perpetual butthurt is enough to choke the ghosts of all the aurochs that ever walked this planet.

You know how the FTBers are always whingeing about how much good could be accomplished with the time and effort spent criticizing them? Yeah, don't get me started.

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

Notung wrote:
Virology is a kind of science. Science is misogyny (according to Pamela Gay). So viruses are misogynistic.

DUH!

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

AndrewV69 wrote:

Apparently, what the radfems and their ilk have apparently indirectly created, is steady stream of misogynists over the last two generations with no sign that it is going to stop any time soon. ...
I was doing some reading on the divorce statistics and it seems like there are about 2 million marriages per year in the US and a divorce rate of about 40% so I estimate something close to 1 million men and 1 million women who join that cohort every year. And if the tales over at A Voice for Men are any indication, and even discounting the “sour grapes” brigade, I would say there are a significant number of men who, with varying degrees of justification, are seriously bent out of shape over being shafted by a feminist bias in the divorce courts. Not likely to bode well for the goals of feminism. And, more problematically, for those of humanism ....

cunt

Post by cunt »

Stephanie Zvan is here to lecture on the finer points of the american legal system. I know what you're thinking "who the fuck is Stephanie Zvan" As it turns out she is a freethoughtblogger who knows much about laws and shit. How? Well...
As someone married to a photographer, and as a blogger who occasionally uses images in her work...

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

BarnOwl wrote:
Tigzy wrote:Heehee - Stefunny is now finding that the Vacula-Amy-DMCA thing isn't as clear-cut as she thought (this comment, and those below): http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamo ... ent-109738
Hilarious! Of course she'll cling stubbornly to her beliefs about fair use, like a religious person clinging to superstitions.

Honestly, the amount of internet righteous indignation that's been expended on self-involved Surly Amy and her perpetual butthurt is enough to choke the ghosts of all the aurochs that ever walked this planet.

You know how the FTBers are always whingeing about how much good could be accomplished with the time and effort spent criticizing them? Yeah, don't get me started.
Then you have this one from (guess who - no fair peeking!)
Jason Thibeault says:
August 17, 2012 at 5:18 pm
Giliell@10: I think she might not actually have a choice in the matter — she has copyrighted works that she needs to defend under the States’ current (and odious!) intellectual property regime. I think if she filed the DMCA over misuse of her copyrighted works without permission, and they claim that their burning indignation alone grants them fair use, then she HAS to fight. Like, no choice in the matter.
Yep, Surly had no choice but to issue a DMCA complaint. She really didn't want to do it, but the intellectual property regime (how do we join, I hear they have great coffee and danish socials) forced her to.

WTF planet do these twerps live on again?

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

Steersman wrote:I was doing some reading on the divorce statistics and it seems like there are about 2 million marriages per year in the US and a divorce rate of about 40% so I estimate something close to 1 million men and 1 million women who join that cohort every year. And if the tales over at A Voice for Men are any indication, and even discounting the “sour grapes” brigade, I would say there are a significant number of men who, with varying degrees of justification, are seriously bent out of shape over being shafted by a feminist bias in the divorce courts. Not likely to bode well for the goals of feminism. And, more problematically, for those of humanism ....
The Simpsons, S22E22, 'The Ned-Liest Catch':
Bart: If theres anything fairy tales have taught us is that first wives are perfect and second wives are horrible.

Homer: The exact opposite of real life.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

cunt wrote:Stephanie Zvan is here to lecture on the finer points of the american legal system. I know what you're thinking "who the fuck is Stephanie Zvan" As it turns out she is a freethoughtblogger who knows much about laws and shit. How? Well...
As someone married to a photographer, and as a blogger who occasionally uses images in her work...
:lol:

InstantExpert (tm) - a wholly pwned subsidiary of the Dunning-Kruger (c) company.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Baby-melting acrylic yarn soakers and the internet faked deaths of indie yarn dyers/knitting workshop organizers are the only topics on Ravelry that generate as much drama and misinformation as does copywrong.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Under the fair use doctrine of the U.S. copyright statute, it is permissible to use limited portions of a work including quotes, for purposes such as commentary, criticism, news reporting, and scholarly reports. There are no legal rules permitting the use of a specific number of words, a certain number of musical notes, or percentage of a work. Whether a particular use qualifies as fair use depends on all the circumstances. See FL 102, Fair Use, and Circular 21, Reproductions of Copyrighted Works by Educators and Librarians.
http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-fairuse.html

The Pelagic Argosy

Post by The Pelagic Argosy »

Tigzy wrote:
cunt wrote:Stephanie Zvan is here to lecture on the finer points of the american legal system. I know what you're thinking "who the fuck is Stephanie Zvan" As it turns out she is a freethoughtblogger who knows much about laws and shit. How? Well...
:lol:

InstantExpert (tm) - a wholly pwned subsidiary of the Dunning-Kruger (c) company.
I reminded of last Saturday's cartoon in the Guardian Weekend magazine by the excellent Stephen Collins:http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Gua ... -D-002.jpg

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Holy fuck, i just finished watching the whole vid, and i'm revising ehat i think of it.

Rogan fucking ate him alive, i mean while, and then soat out his clothes. Jamie was empty, and it's a great demonstration of a feminist empty head who has nothing but their dogma.

My favourite bit was after rogan demolished his arguments, with jamie acknowledging his points, jamie said "yeah well we disagree" and rogan tore into him, what the fuck do you disagree about, you just spent the whole fucking time agreeing with me.

It's infuriating dealing with these woo heads, in the same way you soend ages knocking a fucking xtians nonsense out of the ball park, only to find out that the is nothing you could habe done to show them what they believe is bullshit, because they want to believe and so they are convinced of the truth of their belief

Ahhhhh fuckwits!

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Notung wrote:
Which is, of course, sufficient reason to discount anything that might come after that, to put one’s head in the sand on the off chance that it might actually oblige one to give some consideration to the argument presented.

Really rather remarkable how far Greta Christina ran with that ball and how many people dutifully followed along behind her.

Parallel logic, indeed ....

The Pelagic Argosy

Post by The Pelagic Argosy »

Oops, only partially successful. "I am reminded..." and the image appears to be cut off. It can be seen in its entirety (in Firefux at least) by right clicking and selecting "View Image".

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

I do hope Becky-Boos takes this to heart, and makes an ass of herself should she ever repeat it (as per her Galileo mishap): https://twitter.com/AndrewHolding/statu ... 8853013504
Andrew Holding Andrew Holding ‏@AndrewHolding

@rebeccawatson @Hayleystevens Well just remember anyone who’s British openly doesn’t have freedom of speech, despite what many think/claim.
British citizens are covered by the European Convention on Human Rights which states that everyone has the right to freedom of expression. But don't take my word for it, Becky. Please, honestly - don't!

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

ERV wrote:
Steersman wrote:I was doing some reading on the divorce statistics and it seems like there are about 2 million marriages per year in the US and a divorce rate of about 40% so I estimate something close to 1 million men and 1 million women who join that cohort every year. And if the tales over at A Voice for Men are any indication, and even discounting the “sour grapes” brigade, I would say there are a significant number of men who, with varying degrees of justification, are seriously bent out of shape over being shafted by a feminist bias in the divorce courts. Not likely to bode well for the goals of feminism. And, more problematically, for those of humanism ....
The Simpsons, S22E22, 'The Ned-Liest Catch':
Bart: If theres anything fairy tales have taught us is that first wives are perfect and second wives are horrible.

Homer: The exact opposite of real life.
Quite possibly the source for the aphorism that while love is blind, marriage can be a real eye-opener .... :-)

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Tigzy wrote:I do hope Becky-Boos takes this to heart, and makes an ass of herself should she ever repeat it (as per her Galileo mishap): https://twitter.com/AndrewHolding/statu ... 8853013504

@rebeccawatson @Hayleystevens Well just remember anyone who’s British openly doesn’t have freedom of speech, despite what many think/claim.
British citizens are covered by the European Convention on Human Rights which states that everyone has the right to freedom of expression. But don't take my word for it, Becky. Please, honestly - don't!
To be fair, there are a few things we are not allowed to express in Europe, such as hate speech. Godwining this comment, in Germany it is verboten to show nazi insignas (which is a good thing, all considered). In France, certain talks about former colonies are also very verboten. Etc...

astrokid.nj

A loser and a bitch

Post by astrokid.nj »

Luv your recent post about the nature of slimepit to steersman Sacha. For me, slimepit and greylining were the sole watering holes when I really had nowhere else to go last year. The leaders on "our side" clammed up, and even with all the exposes of late, I doubt that its gonna get a lot better. The recent stream of leaders from activist-organizations responding to Bitchy Aimee with stop-harassment-of-women writeups doesnt bode well.
Interestingly Sacha.. your description of the slimepit fits to a tee what MRA spaces do for "pretty-aware" men. GWW said in that 'angry misogynists' vid.. our experience and knowledge of the gender-world is very far from the mainstream. Thus we wont make much sense to mainstream.. just as the slimepit didnt make sense to the baboons or other "we-are-better-than-them-misogynists" sides.
sacha wrote:
DownThunder/DT: "It is the worship of the feminine, present anywhere, anywhen, any culture. It is a warped hyper-philogyny, a belief where feminine is beyond reproach, fallibility, accountability, or even facts or reasoning and explanation - a flawed position."
"There is also the question as to why sycophants latch onto certain kinds of women, those who display helplessness, distress, a never ending list of demands for appeasement, general mental immaturity.

The question is why do men put up with it? The type of men I'm attracted to, are those that would never.
I don't understand the draw, it has to be more than pussy, these are women that the men marry. Then they really have to put up with it, and they are not even getting laid. I am always amazed at just how many men resign themselves to a life with a demanding bitch, who constantly emasculate them. It is the majority of relationship dynamics. I have no patience for either of them.
I got a loser and a bitch for you right here.
[youtube]oVqeo4jMlXE[/youtube]

sacha

Post by sacha »

Steersman wrote:
Pretty hard to “get the flow of events” when one doesn’t have access to her “twitter feed” and how the time-stamps therein relate to the posts on Thunderfoot’s blog. You, perchance, have that to back up your argument?

And I note that you never did provide me a timestamp for the Twitter post in the Pharwrongula page when I asked for it sometime back ...
Why can't you go on Twitter and get the information you want? If you are blocked, log out, and go to Google, type in Sally Strange Twitter and get access to her account. What is so difficult?

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote: To be fair, there are a few things we are not allowed to express in Europe, such as hate speech. Godwining this comment, in Germany it is verboten to show nazi insignas (which is a good thing, all considered). In France, certain talks about former colonies are also very verboten. Etc...
In the UK, there are provisions against hate speech, which fall under the umbrella of public order offences. On the face of it, it initially seems quite restrictive (from the cesspit):
(1) A person is guilty of an offence if, with intent to cause a person harassment, alarm or distress, he— (a) uses threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour, or disorderly behaviour, or (b) displays any writing, sign or other visible representation which is threatening, abusive or insulting, thereby causing that or another person harassment, alarm or distress.
However, there is an amendment to this:
Nothing in this Part shall be read or given effect in a way which prohibits or restricts discussion, criticism or expressions of antipathy, dislike, ridicule, insult or abuse of particular religions or the beliefs or practices of their adherents, or of any other belief system or the beliefs or practices of its adherents, or proselytising or urging adherents of a different religion or belief system to cease practising their religion or belief system.
So what might be classified as hate speech does not necessarily involve honest criticisms; hence freedom of speech is protected - though as these statutes suggest, it will often be a court which has to decide if an expression is actually hate speech or an honest criticism.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

sacha wrote:
Steersman wrote:
Pretty hard to “get the flow of events” when one doesn’t have access to her “twitter feed” and how the time-stamps therein relate to the posts on Thunderfoot’s blog. You, perchance, have that to back up your argument?

And I note that you never did provide me a timestamp for the Twitter post in the Pharwrongula page when I asked for it sometime back ...
Why can't you go on Twitter and get the information you want? If you are blocked, log out, and go to Google, type in Sally Strange Twitter and get access to her account. What is so difficult?
Doesn’t seem difficult at all (thanks) – now that you have explained that that is a possibility. But I simply did not know that that was the case. You, and franc and many others here, seem not to realize that what seems a piece of cake to you is anything but that to other people who aren’t familiar with the arcana that might be second nature to you.

You might want to take a look at the Aesop fable about the fox and the stork – in spite of being an illustration of “privilege”, it is not less cogent ....

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Steersman wrote:
sacha wrote:
Steersman wrote:

Doesn’t seem difficult at all (thanks) – now that you have explained that that is a possibility. But I simply did not know that that was the case. You, and franc and many others here, seem not to realize that what seems a piece of cake to you is anything but that to other people who aren’t familiar with the arcana that might be second nature to you.

You might want to take a look at the Aesop fable about the fox and the stork – in spite of being an illustration of “privilege”, it is not less cogent ....
Well, yeah, I would cut Steersman some slack here. Not all of us are internet savvy. That Aesop line was a bit off, though.

Notung

Post by Notung »

Tigzy wrote:I do hope Becky-Boos takes this to heart, and makes an ass of herself should she ever repeat it (as per her Galileo mishap): https://twitter.com/AndrewHolding/statu ... 8853013504

We don't have free speech here. Not like you do in the US anyway. For example, not long ago, a guy got arrested for being racist on Twitter. He got 56 days in prison. We're restricted by hate speech laws.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Steersman wrote:
sacha wrote:
Steersman wrote:

Well, yeah, I would cut Steersman some slack here. Not all of us are internet savvy. That Aesop line was a bit off, though.
The "Aesop line" - could use some work? The right ball-park? I thought it might have been a little wide of the mark, but I figured that if people squinted a little, then maybe of some relevance, at least in a generalizing sense ....

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

I just don't know how this "Aesop" (like that's a real name) who stole all of La Fontaine's work come into play!

Can you see it's past 2 am yet?

:D

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Notung wrote:

We don't have free speech here. Not like you do in the US anyway. For example, not long ago, a guy got arrested for being racist on Twitter. He got 56 days in prison. We're restricted by hate speech laws.
So? There are restrictions to freedom of speech in the US, too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Sta ... exceptions

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Za-zen wrote:Holy fuck, i just finished watching the whole vid, and i'm revising ehat i think of it.

Rogan fucking ate him alive, i mean while, and then soat out his clothes. Jamie was empty, and it's a great demonstration of a feminist empty head who has nothing but their dogma.

My favourite bit was after rogan demolished his arguments, with jamie acknowledging his points, jamie said "yeah well we disagree" and rogan tore into him, what the fuck do you disagree about, you just spent the whole fucking time agreeing with me.

It's infuriating dealing with these woo heads, in the same way you soend ages knocking a fucking xtians nonsense out of the ball park, only to find out that the is nothing you could habe done to show them what they believe is bullshit, because they want to believe and so they are convinced of the truth of their belief

Ahhhhh fuckwits!
A-fucking-men to that - about the Christians, particularly fundamentalists ... programmed minds addled by nonsense. Reminds me of this bit of zoology:
Even apparently sophisticated and intelligent sequences of behaviour can turn out, on closer investigation, to be surprisingly rigid. There is the well-known example of the Sphex wasp who leaves a paralyzed cricket in a burrow with her eggs so that her offspring will have something to feed on when they hatch. When she captures a cricket, she drags it to the entrance of the burrow, then leaves it outside for a moment when she enters, seemingly to check for intruders. However, if an interfering experimenter moves the cricket back a few inches while the wasp is inside, she repeats the sequence: dragging the insect to the burrow’s entrance, then entering once more alone. And this sequence can be made to “loop” indefinitely many times over. [The Architecture of the Mind; Peter Carruthers; web review]
But you might be interested in this article by Massimo Pigliucci on The limits of reasonable discourse. There’s a nice graphic showing a “fitness landscape” with several peaks in it such that a narrow-focus search for them could wind up with several different sub-optimal “solutions” depending on slight differences in starting points. His argument:
Massimo Pigliucci wrote:Consider the hypothetical landscape in the figure accompanying this post. That particular graph is meant to illustrate the idea of multiple adaptive peaks in genotypic space, with natural selection pushing a population of organisms up the closest available peak (high fitness) and away from any valley (low fitness). Similar situations occur in computer science, mathematics, economics, and — I maintain — in rational discourse more generally.

Think of every peak as a particular, viable solution to whatever the problem happens to be (survival in a given environment, efficiency of a computational algorithm, or the search for a good political or ethical system). In the graphic example above, there are three peaks: one is taller, the other two are of about equal height. The taller peak represents the optimal solution across the landscape, while the other two stand for suboptimal but viable solutions. If we were talking about politics or ethics, this would correspond to saying that one political or ethical system is in fact “best” (under whatever criteria one is using) and therefore rational, while two more are also rational, but not quite as good. So reasonable people could make an argument for one or the other, or the third, of the proposed solutions, particularly when practical considerations may exclude, or make less likely, the implementation of the optimal solution represented by the highest peak.
I think, as he suggests, we all start from quite reasonable premises and hypotheses and argue, quite “reasonably” and “logically”, to different “peaks”, different “truths”, and fail to realize that most people have done the same: we have seen the enemy and he is us. Or, maybe, east is east and west is west ....

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:I just don't know how this "Aesop" (like that's a real name) who stole all of La Fontaine's work come into play!

Can you see it's past 2 am yet?

:D
Learn something new everyday:
The Fables of Jean de La Fontaine were issued in several volumes from 1668 to 1694. They are classics of French literature.
“Learn like you were going to live forever; live like you were going to die tomorrow”

Gotta take a break .... get some sunshine (West [wet] Coast of Canada), smell the roses, have a beer .... :-)

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Pac-Man is a very recognizable icon. I'm sure Namco watches for any unauthorized use of its characters very closely. Using the above information, would anyone care to opine as to the legality of using these figures in a commercial venture without acquiring a license?
Namco Bandai are watching it now, that's for sure! *looks all innocent*

And they're not the only ones taking an interest in Amy's work, either. Erm...so I've been told. *halo doesn't slip one bit*

Notung

Post by Notung »

Tigzy wrote:So? There are restrictions to freedom of speech in the US, too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Sta ... exceptions
Yeah, but nowhere near as many. A good illustration of this was with the Koran-burning incident. In the US they just asked him not to do it. In the UK (with nowhere near as much publicity) 6 people got arrested for it.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Trigger warning next time, please, cunt!

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Just been reading that post on Shitty Canuck about Scurvy Amy. I loved this by some idiot on there:

"My wife and I are committed to doing the majority of our Xmas shopping from the Surlyramics store."

Oh, I'd love to be sat round the table during that christmas dinner. Can you imagine everyone's face as they unwrap their blobs of clay. You'd need an Oscar winning performance to look convincingly pleased with those gifts. I bet the kids will be over the moon.

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

Lsuoma wrote:
Trigger warning next time, please, cunt!
Triggers are for pussies. :lol:

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Tigzy wrote:
Pac-Man is a very recognizable icon. I'm sure Namco watches for any unauthorized use of its characters very closely. Using the above information, would anyone care to opine as to the legality of using these figures in a commercial venture without acquiring a license?

And they're not the only ones taking an interest in Amy's work, either. Erm...so I've been told. *halo doesn't slip one bit*
Also, you'll note on where Amy sells her Pac Man necklace -http://www.etsy.com/listing/99261745/i- ... eramic-pac - she has this:
All jewelry designs and images shown are © Surly-Ramics™.
So according to her, the ghost designs from Pac Man are Amy's copyright.

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

Just saw @WoolyBumblebee retweet my article and added @namcobandai to it. lol

If anyone else sees the tweet, please add that as well.

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

Tigzy wrote:

I know, rite?? I posted something along these lines on Facebook--

There is the American Atheists A and RDFs Scarlett A, which Im sure she does have permission to use.

But then there is the IPU and Flying Spaghetti Monster logos (she copied them, she didnt imagine them).

And Darwins Tree of Life (again, copied).

And images/phrases from Namco, EA, and LucasFilm (totally copied).

If EA went after her for 'The Cake is a Lie', say a year ago, I would totally have had her back. But now? Fuck it. Shes a dumbass.

Notung

Post by Notung »

Za-zen wrote:My favourite bit was after rogan demolished his arguments, with jamie acknowledging his points, jamie said "yeah well we disagree" and rogan tore into him, what the fuck do you disagree about, you just spent the whole fucking time agreeing with me.
I'd never come across Kilstein before, but after watching that I can't believe he's a comedian at all. He has no charisma, and no presence at all. Rogan just walked all over him. Aren't comedians supposed to have witty retorts and be able to hold their own in an argument? I'd hate to see this guy go against a heckler...

He had no arguments at all. He just sounded like he was being told off and apologising. He couldn't stand up to Rogan and defend his position. I saw his Twitter account and he was there abusing people in a way reminiscent of Myers et al. but in real life he's just plain impotent. Rogan actually had to remind Kilstein what arguments he had been making on the internet prior to the conversation, as Kilstein kept trying to pretend that he agreed with Rogan!

And he thinks that MURDER isn't as bad as rape. The killing of another human being. The slaughter of sentient life, such that they no longer exist any more. What?

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Tigzy wrote:

Namco Terms of Use
Copyright and Trademark Notices.

Unless otherwise indicated, the Terms of Use and all Content provided by Company are copyright © 2008 Namco Networks America, Inc. All rights reserved.

Alpine Racer®Brain Exercise™, Dig Dug®, Galaga®,Galaxian®, Galaxian Mini®, MAPPY®, Mouse Puzzle®, Mr. Driller®, MS. PAC-MAN®, NEW RALLY-X®, PAC-MAN® Arcade Golf, PAC-MAN®, PAC-MAN Casino™, PAC-MAN Casino™ Slots, PAC-MAN Pinball™, PAC-MAN PLUS™, PAC-MAN Puzzle®, PAC-MAN®, MS. PAC-MAN®, PAC-MANIA®, PAC-MAN's Arcade Corner™, Game That Tone!™, PAC-Match! ®, POLE POSITION II™, POLE POSITION™: REMIX, Pool Pro Online™
Pool Pro Online II™, POPEYE®, RIDGE RACER®, Rolling with Katamari™, SubMerged™, SUPER PAC-MAN, TAIKO: Drum Master™, Tekken® 2, TIME CRISIS MOBILE™, Xevious® mini and Xevious® are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Company. The names of actual companies and products mentioned at the Sites may be the trademarks of their respective owners.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

I've also taken screencaps, just in case Amy gets wind of her PacMan infringement, and decides to, erm, quitely retire that product line.

Notung

Post by Notung »

ERV wrote:There is the American Atheists A and RDFs Scarlett A, which Im sure she does have permission to use.

But then there is the IPU and Flying Spaghetti Monster logos (she copied them, she didnt imagine them).

And Darwins Tree of Life (again, copied).

And images/phrases from Namco, EA, and LucasFilm (totally copied).

If EA went after her for 'The Cake is a Lie', say a year ago, I would totally have had her back. But now? Fuck it. Shes a dumbass.
That list wins the argument. She's making money off the intellectual property of others. All Justin did is use an image of one of her products in a blog post (in part) about her products.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

I'm embarrassed to say that while listening to Rogan/Kilstein, my husband and I are arguing over which one of them looks more like a rapist.

"I hope a unicorn comes down and drowns you with its piss."

cunt

Post by cunt »

I guess the originality in Surly-Ramics is just that only somebody she could think that selling lumps of baked clay inscribed with old memes could be profitable. All credit to her, people really are fucking idiots.

Notung

Post by Notung »

Kilstein's voice is like 1:31 on this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fcja4WFFzDw

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

bhoytony wrote:Just been reading that post on Shitty Canuck about Scurvy Amy. I loved this by some idiot on there:

"My wife and I are committed to doing the majority of our Xmas shopping from the Surlyramics store."

Oh, I'd love to be sat round the table during that christmas dinner. Can you imagine everyone's face as they unwrap their blobs of clay. You'd need an Oscar winning performance to look convincingly pleased with those gifts. I bet the kids will be over the moon.
I predict the following phrase will be uttered for the first time in human history:

"I was really hoping for a Chia Pet."

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

i really hope Amy is reading this thread and considering whether drawing attention to copyright law was one of her better Ideas. I'd like to see one of her shitty pendants with the the words The Streisand Effect on it. maybe somebody would like to fire up Photoshop and come up with a mock up for her.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Dilurk is close....

....very close....

Notung

Post by Notung »

Dilurk is close....

....very close....
Huh?

By the way this thread (alone) has been viewed more than 100k times. I shudder to think how many views the old Periodic Table got.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Hm. Might have just had an ethical change of opinion. If Roth is DMCA-ing all over the place, I don't see an issue with DMCA-ing her back for her copyright infringements. I'm not sure I can justify that really to myself though - the part of me that's like, you shouldn't fuck with people's livelihoods is at war with the bit that says, uhhh she's breaking the law while starting legal actions against other people...

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

Jesus Christ, Skeeve, I just noticed the anarchy A tattooed on Amy. Im going to go puke.

cunt-- The whole plot of this episode of South Park is how Christians are stupid and will buy anything that has to do with Christianity, no matter how crappy it is. In this manner, atheists are no better than the Christians.

Notung (also rayshul)-- Yup. Laden/Svan bitching at NatGeo about those threads has cost me a nice chunk of money. :?