Nugent Dialogue resourse and discussions

Double wank and shit chips
Aneris

Re: Nugent Dialogue resourse and discussions

Post by Aneris »

Dick Strawkins wrote:Setar has joined in the hatefest over on Svans post, managing in the process to turn the volume up to 11.
5. Both the tactics and ideology of this group of skeptics strongly reflect those of the broader radical Right, far too strongly for such an overlap to be coincidental.
He links to the following story: http://www.nbcnews.com/id/21134540/vp/51436351#51436351
It's a clip from Rachel Maddow's show where she discusses the murder of abortion doctors by Christian fundamentalists.

Our 'tactics and ideology' overlaps with that of fundie terrorists who shoot abortion workers?
:think:
Everyone seems accustomed to this sheer insanity. I don't take it seriously, but am amazed what it would mean, if I did. The folks there tend to freak out at the most trivial perceived transgression. Yet, they have no scruples with this level of hate amd vitriol, therefore, it's more than fair to assume they are all okay with it.

As for political identification, we've got that covered...
65% left leaning, 20% right leaning, 15% center.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Aneris wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:Setar has joined in the hatefest over on Svans post, managing in the process to turn the volume up to 11.
5. Both the tactics and ideology of this group of skeptics strongly reflect those of the broader radical Right, far too strongly for such an overlap to be coincidental.
He links to the following story: http://www.nbcnews.com/id/21134540/vp/51436351#51436351
It's a clip from Rachel Maddow's show where she discusses the murder of abortion doctors by Christian fundamentalists.

Our 'tactics and ideology' overlaps with that of fundie terrorists who shoot abortion workers?
:think:
Everyone seems accustomed to this sheer insanity. I don't take it seriously, but am amazed what it would mean, if I did. The folks there tend to freak out at the most trivial perceived transgression. Yet, they have no scruples with this level of hate amd vitriol, therefore, it's more than fair to assume they are all okay with it.

As for political identification, we've got that covered...
65% left leaning, 20% right leaning, 15% center.
" I don't take it seriously, but am amazed what it would mean, if I did."
Yes, what would it mean.
That we are, in fact, terrorists, who not only think it justified to kill our opponents, but who actively attempt to do so?

Wouldn't that mean it is justified for them, in terms of self defense, to take extreme measures if they encounter us at a conference? :violence-ak47:

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Svan's done a post about the latest response.
Immediately oolon jumps into the fray
(12a) “Within a closed network censorship of views is simple to achieve – the heretical individual is simply ‘Expelled’. Luckily the internet is less a small pond than a vast ocean, with those trying to stop dissenting voices playing the role of Canute on the shoreline.”

This was a reply to how censorship can be imposed, it clearly says it cannot, but doesn’t seem to agree. Does this mean they are agreeing or is the “closed network” meant to mean FtB? Confusing as no one has ever been “expelled” from FtB, afaik?

This makes it even more confusing…

(14) “We agree that moderation of a personal website should be under the control of the owner of that site. In line with this we agree that it is up to the owner of such space whether they allow rebuttal or criticism on their space. Our major issue is the attempts to silence criticism that is hosted elsewhere.”

Again, how? How can anyone silence criticism that is hosted elsewhere and why would anyone be even slightly concerned if someone was really trying to do this. Its impossible on the internet as he alludes to with his Cnut reference –> So they accept its impossible but are worried about people attempting it! WTF…
Nobody has ever been expelled from FTB as far as he knows?
WTF!

That lying weasel is all over Thunderf00ts threads after he got expelled from FTB.
Is he trolling Svans blog the same way he trolled here?

And as for the attempt to silence criticism hosted elsewhere, isn't that the very reason why the slymepit forum actually exists?
It was Svan and Greggsy complaining to Nat Geo, trying to get ERV kicked off that network, that led to this site being created.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

I really, really, really think all, and I do mean all of the contributors on the Nugent experiment try to speak in non-formal, plain English: clear, concise, jargon-free, short, sharp, and specific and TO-THE-FUCKING-POINT!

Jeebles, as it is, my fucking christ, you need a road map, a thesaurus, and a god-damned GPS to parse the simplest fucking statement. C'mon guys, this is not a university PhD essay, and even if it were it would get returned for sloppy writing, blather, obfuscation, and endless fucking dribble.

This should not be an academic exercise in pointilistic minutae; it should be a plain language discussion. So what if Stefunny is clearly trying to sabotage the works with endless tangents, non sequitorial backtracks, pompous yet empty rhetoric, and so on. Stick to your own points and get to it.

:roll:

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

"experiment try to"

=

experiment should try to

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

John Greg wrote:I really, really, really think all, and I do mean all of the contributors on the Nugent experiment try to speak in non-formal, plain English: clear, concise, jargon-free, short, sharp, and specific and TO-THE-FUCKING-POINT!

Jeebles, as it is, my fucking christ, you need a road map, a thesaurus, and a god-damned GPS to parse the simplest fucking statement. C'mon guys, this is not a university PhD essay, and even if it were it would get returned for sloppy writing, blather, obfuscation, and endless fucking dribble.

This should not be an academic exercise in pointilistic minutae; it should be a plain language discussion. So what if Stefunny is clearly trying to sabotage the works with endless tangents, non sequitorial backtracks, pompous yet empty rhetoric, and so on. Stick to your own points and get to it.

:roll:
Tend to agree with you, at least to some extent, although I suppose my own contributions added somewhat to the miasma. But as I unfortunately do not have the time, or patience, to wade through all of the contributions, particularly without that roadmap you referred to, I might suggest at least some more coherent structure such as, for example, this:
1.0 Question: Working Together on Core Issues

1.1 Statement by Jack Smith:

1.2 Statement by Stephanie Zvan:

1.2.1 Response by Thaums Themelios:

1.2.2 Response by Skep Sheik

2.0 Question: Balancing Freedom of Expression Against Unnecessary Emotional Hurt

3.0 Question: Social Justice Issues
In addition I was debating spending some effort putting all of the contributions so far into some sort of spreadsheet as a way of keeping track of all of the points and responses. Without something of that nature, I think many are likely to abandon all efforts to make sense of the entire dialog.

As for your comment about “plain English”, there may be some benefit to you editing some of the contributions – if you have the time and the inclination; I would certainly appreciate any such comments on any of my future contributions.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

...there may be some benefit to you editing some of the contributions.
I had offered just that, but I'm afraid the whole process became so bogged down that I rather lost heart and withdrew my offer.

In hindsight, I realize I should have offered, and pressed the offer, while thoroughly explaining my bona fides and the advantages of such editing/proofing, much earlier, well before anything was yet presented.

Oh well. My mistake.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

John Greg wrote:
I had offered just that, but I'm afraid the whole process became so bogged down that I rather lost heart and withdrew my offer.

In hindsight, I realize I should have offered, and pressed the offer, while thoroughly explaining my bona fides and the advantages of such editing/proofing, much earlier, well before anything was yet presented.

Oh well. My mistake.
As Jack said just recently to me (#100) above, and which I expect still holds:
If you wish to join the discussions you are more than welcome. Please PM or state here and someone will get you in.

That applies to anyone else.
But your call whether you wish to contribute or not.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Skep tickle wrote:
Steersman wrote: <snip>

That, as Pinker described, people can act largely unthinkingly to follow blindly suggests physiological processes happening “underneath the hood” that many are only peripherally aware of. I think anger and anger management probably qualifies as a similar example.
FWIW, from the vantage point of someone in medicine, I'd suggest using "subconscious" or "instinctive". There is a specific system called the autonomic system and it's not what this is referring to. (Or, if so, it's only a subset of what this refers to.)

It'd be kind of like using "artery" to refer to the heart, or to the pumping of blood. (Kind of.)
Then I stand corrected - :-)

At least more or less as from a brief search in Wikipedia for “subconscious” and “instinctive”, those terms seem to be rather nebulous to say the least, whereas I was looking for something a little more concrete in terms of physiological or neurochemical explanations. And while I’m a long way from having much of a comprehensive handle on all, even any, of the processes involved, my impression is that mirror neurons are an important part of an explanation of a broad range of phenomena, from empathy to autism to various imitative and learning processes, not to mention the specific and quite relevant case of responses to various insults, notably “gendered” ones:
A mirror neuron is a neuron that fires both when an animal acts and when the animal observes the same action performed by another. Thus, the neuron "mirrors" the behavior of the other, as though the observer were itself acting. Such neurons have been directly observed in primate and other species including birds. In humans, brain activity consistent with that of mirror neurons has been found in the premotor cortex, the supplementary motor area, the primary somatosensory cortex and the inferior parietal cortex.

The function of the mirror system is a subject of much speculation. Many researchers in cognitive neuroscience and cognitive psychology consider that this system provides the physiological mechanism for the perception/action coupling (see the common coding theory). They argue that mirror neurons may be important for understanding the actions of other people, and for learning new skills by imitation. Some researchers also speculate that mirror systems may simulate observed actions, and thus contribute to theory of mind skills, while others relate mirror neurons to language abilities.
Now whether those neurons are part of the central nervous system, the somatic nervous system (SNS), or the autonomic nervous system (ANS), it seems apparent that they are part of a feedback control system that couples visual perceptions into at least the SNS if not the ANS as well. And while their detailed operation and consequences seem to be an open research topic, I think it is fair to characterize, at least to a first approximation, both humans and the societies they create as “coupled systems”, a topic on which there is a great amount of science, engineering, and mathematics that provides, I think, useful guideposts and avenues to approach those phenomena.

And one of the better illustrations of those coupled systems is provided by the following YouTube video which shows some 32 metronomes which start out unsynchronized, but which eventually become synchronized – as some have argued happens with the menstrual cycles of some women living in close quarters – because of the coupling provided by the common platform on which they reside. And which I’ve argued provides a useful analogy to the behaviours of humans in groups, and their very problematic tendency to group-think and mob behaviour: can't fix the problem if we don’t understand the causes.

[youtube]JWToUATLGzs[/youtube]

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

John Greg wrote:

Oh well. My mistake.
It doesn't matter, John. Nobody but the authors will be reading it all anyway...

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Lsuoma wrote:
John Greg wrote:

Oh well. My mistake.
It doesn't matter, John. Nobody but the authors will be reading it all anyway...
Sheik already made an effort to cut it back to the core points.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Aneris wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:
John Greg wrote:

Oh well. My mistake.
Four legs good, two legs bad.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Lsuoma wrote:
Aneris wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:
John Greg wrote:

Oh well. My mistake.
Four legs good, two legs bad.
Fish generally don't ride bicycles.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

I know this discussion is off-topic for this thread, but human biology floats my boat. Also, the rumor is that the mod 'round here never puts people on temp-ban for derailing. :D
Steersman wrote:At least more or less as from a brief search in Wikipedia for “subconscious” and “instinctive”, those terms seem to be rather nebulous to say the least, whereas I was looking for something a little more concrete in terms of physiological or neurochemical explanations.

Mmm, well, just because you would like a term or explanation that's more concrete doesn't mean that (at this point) a more concrete term or explanation would be accurate. ;)
Steersman wrote:And while I’m a long way from having much of a comprehensive handle on all, even any, of the processes involved, my impression is that mirror neurons are an important part of an explanation of a broad range of phenomena...
A mirror neuron is a neuron that fires both when an animal acts and when the animal observes the same action performed by another. Thus, the neuron "mirrors" the behavior of the other, as though the observer were itself acting. Such neurons have been directly observed in primate and other species including birds. In humans, brain activity consistent with that of mirror neurons has been found in the premotor cortex, the supplementary motor area, the primary somatosensory cortex and the inferior parietal cortex. ...
Now whether those neurons are part of the central nervous system, the somatic nervous system (SNS), or the autonomic nervous system (ANS), ...
Hmm, now, where in the nervous system are the premotor cortex, the supplementary motor area, the primary somatosensory cortex and the inferior parietal cortex? :whistle:

Not that there couldn't be input from the peripheral nervous system; the enteric nervous system (a big part of the autonomic nervous system) is sometimes called "the second brain", and there are people (possibly reading too much into that term) who claim it has a big influence on our subconcious; I'm skeptical of those claims. I know of no evidence that people who have had a complete transsection of the spinal cord fairly high up, or people who have had most of their bowel removed, act or react any differently in interpersonal interactions than everybody else.
Steersman wrote:... it seems apparent that they are part of a feedback control system that couples visual perceptions into at least the SNS if not the ANS as well. And while their detailed operation and consequences seem to be an open research topic, I think it is fair to characterize, at least to a first approximation, both humans and the societies they create as “coupled systems”, a topic on which there is a great amount of science, engineering, and mathematics that provides, I think, useful guideposts and avenues to approach those phenomena.
Guideposts to explore, yes. Guideposts to explain, not so much (at this time).

Could you elaborate, how is visual perception coupled into "at least the SNS if not the ANS as well"? (Ignore the obvious like pupillary constriction & dilation, and saccades, unless that's what you meant - I think it's not.)
Steersman wrote:And one of the better illustrations of those coupled systems is provided by the following YouTube video which shows some 32 metronomes which start out unsynchronized, but which eventually become synchronized – as some have argued happens with the menstrual cycles of some women living in close quarters ...
Errr....the sci am blog post you linked there argues that while some argue that, they're mistaken:
Writer for Sci Am online, an academic anthropologist whose area of interest is evolutionary medicine of women’s reproductive physiology, wrote: But the study of human menstrual synchrony has suffered from three major problems: first, whether a mechanism exists that can produce menstrual synchrony, second, methodological issues with existing papers and third, statistical artifacts in how one analyzes synchrony.
That same Sci Am writer wrote: Instead, frankly, I find the absolute lack of synchrony evidence in non-human primates as well as in well-controlled human studies pretty darn compelling.
Yep, that same Sci Am writer wrote: What about all that great anecdata, like what I describe in my opening story? Strassmann is the one who actually states the issue most accessibly:
“Popular belief in menstrual synchrony stems from a misperception about how far apart menstrual onsets should be for two women whose onsets are independent. Given a cycle length of 28 days (not the rule – but an example), the maximum that two women can be out of phase is 14 days. On average, the onsets will be 7 days apart. Fully half the time they should be even closer (Wilson 1992, Strassmann 1997). Given that menstruation often lasts 5 days, it is not surprising that friends commonly experience overlapping menses, which is taken as personal confirmation of menstrual synchrony” (Strassmann 1999: 579).
Steersman wrote:– because of the coupling provided by the common platform on which they reside. And which I’ve argued provides a useful analogy to the behaviours of humans in groups, and their very problematic tendency to group-think and mob behaviour: can't fix the problem if we don’t understand the causes. ..
Big jump, IMO, from simple mechanical devices literally sharing a physical platform, to complex biochemical devices sharing a common design. Your mileage, though, apparently varies. Course, that's in a car that's still just a sketch on a drafting table... :)

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Aneris wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:
John Greg wrote:

Oh well. My mistake.
It's always been about core points, not allowing drift and sticking to what is said. However every contributor has their own style and as the other side delight in misrepresenting what is said sometimes it is necessary to clarify even the simplest wording to reduce their opportunities to do that.

As to timing, for reasons I have no interest in going into our first two statements were very late and that made me very unhappy at the time. I want them turned around in 24 hours tops but due to people having real lives this may not be practical. However long delays should no longer be an issue and our last statement was produced quickly (remember publish time is not the same as produced time)

People are making comments here that are not always supported by what is happening. We do not give daily reports on every decision or thought being made and the matter of structure was discussed some time ago although any comments here are always welcome. But assumptions here are just that, assumptions. If people want to know what is happening the invitation to join is always open.

As to who is reading the statements there has to date been 51 replies. That does not allow for those who have read them and are commenting elsewhere or just simply read them. So while some clearly think it is a waste of time they are welcome to their opinion and I will have mine. As I have said repeatedly this is not some attempt at reconciliation but an attempt at showing we are not a bunch of ignorant haters as they so enjoy portraying us. The vast majority at FtB/A+/Skepchick have no interest in any 'understanding' as they are emotionally wrapped in their ideology which necessarily requires them to reject anything that does not agree with them. Their whole approach is based on having a devil, just like religion, and that devil is of course us and 'misogynists'. It is not those people I have any interest in but those who are still capable of nuance, logic and reason.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

I have a comment in moderation at Almost Diamonds "Reply the Second":
Do they have to actually bomb a conference...
Setar, could you clarify, were you using the verb "bomb" literally or figuratively?

"Actually" seems to imply actually "attacking with explosive devices", but perhaps that's not what you meant.

Thank you.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Skep tickle wrote:I have a comment in moderation at Almost Diamonds "Reply the Second":
Do they have to actually bomb a conference...
Setar, could you clarify, were you using the verb "bomb" literally or figuratively?

"Actually" seems to imply actually "attacking with explosive devices", but perhaps that's not what you meant.

Thank you.
That Setar, he's a master of the subtle nuanced phrase.
He probably meant 'bomb' as in the type of dive that somewhat overweight people are notorious for doing in swimming pools.
It's quite clever of him really.
It suggests slymepitters entering the conference with a visually arresting but overall unimpressive 'splash'.

...Or he meant we'd murder hundreds of innocent people with an explosive device.

One of the two.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

From PToS here:
BarnOwl wrote:Zvan is crying foul over the latest delay in posting her contribution to the dialogue:
I had intended to bring you my latest response in the dialog yesterday. I submitted it Friday night. However, it hasn’t been posted yet. For those of you who are interested in following the dialog, I’m afraid I can’t tell you when it will be posted.

Apparently, the moderator for the other team has decided that my post is better moderated than argued with, and Mick Nugent has not ruled that out. I’m disagreeing strongly. I did not sign up to have my posts changed before they see the light of day. I haven’t asked for any changes to their posts, even where they clearly haven’t met the requirements of the dialog (i.e., Skep Sheik’s failure to indicate agreement or disagreement with the points he responded to). This was not part of the terms I agreed to.

We’ll see what happens next.
Irony much?
http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamo ... g-delayed/
tonyinbatavia wrote:“…the moderator for the other team,” a.k.a., Chickenshit Hypocrite.
Pteryxx wrote:So Nugent’s providing a neutral platform and is otherwise hands-off? Then IMHO publishing your statement publically here is the only recourse. The other side can approve it there, edit it there, refuse to publish it there, whatever, but they will have to explain their decision to do any of the three or else withdraw.
Improbable Joe wrote:If nothing else, it seems specifically and intentionally designed to provoke negative reactions… maybe looking for an excuse to bail on the discussion by behaving in bad faith? Then however YOU respond will be seen as the “real” bad faith action and then they will claim victory? It just seems really really shady.
carlie wrote:
Mick is acting as an intermediary. He doesn’t have any control over what they ask for.

But wait, isn’t it his blog? So they can ask, but he can say no. That’s the kind of thing that doesn’t show up in the ground rules because it seems so bloody obvious that nobody in their right minds would ask for that, so it shouldn’t have taken even a minute’s worth of thought for him to tell them no, and then to inform you that a) it happened and b) he said no. I don’t see any space for him saying “they asked for this, and I haven’t decided yet”.
Eristae wrote:
But wait, isn’t it his blog?
^This. He may not be able to control what they ask for, but can’t he control what he lets them do? Or is someone else in control of the site?

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

No surprises really.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

FWIW, a comment of mine on Zvan's "Dialog Delayed" thread. But "still" in moderation, of course:
I thought that the idea of moderation was to ensure compliance with previously agreed-upon principles – not just to “represent your interests”.

In addition, Michael Nugent does specify a “structured dialog” which presumably applies to everybody. Which, considering the heavy moderation here, one would have thought you would have been more than happy to comply with that. Unless you're more into one sauce for the goose, and another for the gander ....
But rather amusing that some of them - Oolon in particular - seem to be of the view that Michael is only interested in promoting the "pit mythos" (who knew?), although that is rather unfortunate.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Steersman wrote:FWIW, a comment of mine on Zvan's "Dialog Delayed" thread. But "still" in moderation, of course:
I thought that the idea of moderation was to ensure compliance with previously agreed-upon principles – not just to “represent your interests”.

In addition, Michael Nugent does specify a “structured dialog” which presumably applies to everybody. Which, considering the heavy moderation here, one would have thought you would have been more than happy to comply with that. Unless you're more into one sauce for the goose, and another for the gander ....
But rather amusing that some of them - Oolon in particular - seem to be of the view that Michael is only interested in promoting the "pit mythos" (who knew?), although that is rather unfortunate.
Not to mention she was happy to imply she proposed the structure in the first place. Funny that. Also seriously, do you care what Oolon or anyone else says on a blog that only allows positive comments through including claims we are all bombers? They are all cut and paste clones. That makes them extremely predictable and not very subtle. So it is neither fortunate or unfortunate. This is not for them.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

I have been under the presumption from the beginning that Svan has only one tactic in mind, the same one she has relied on for the past few years I've been reading her stuff; fling a load of shit at us and then cry harrassment and withdraw from the dialogue process (while getting comforted by her sycophants for her brave martyrdom.)
Nugent's structure has made it difficult to do in strand one but she's clearly poking around for something to quote-mine into sounding like a threat, at which point her standard gish-galloping technique will begin.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Jack wrote:
Steersman wrote:FWIW, a comment of mine on Zvan's "Dialog Delayed" thread. But "still" in moderation, of course:

Not to mention she was happy to imply she proposed the structure in the first place. Funny that.
It is, indeed.
Also seriously, do you care what Oolon or anyone else says on a blog that only allows positive comments through including claims we are all bombers?
Freeze peach, and all that. Although those types of comments aren’t likely to do their credibility any good, but I’m concerned about the consequential poisoning of the well. As has been discussed, we seem to agree that blogs are entitled to moderate as they see fit. But analogous to what someone was arguing on Nugent’s other threads in the context of supposedly sexist comments, draconian and self-serving if not fraudulent moderation is also not going to do their credibility any good whatsoever.
They are all cut and paste clones. That makes them extremely predictable and not very subtle. So it is neither fortunate or unfortunate. This is not for them.
That might well be true for many of them, but it is, I think, a serious stretch to argue that that is the case for all of them. I don’t think that tarring them all with the same brush helps “our” cause all that much.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Dick Strawkins wrote:I have been under the presumption from the beginning that Svan has only one tactic in mind, the same one she has relied on for the past few years I've been reading her stuff; fling a load of shit at us and then cry harrassment and withdraw from the dialogue process (while getting comforted by her sycophants for her brave martyrdom.)
Nugent's structure has made it difficult to do in strand one but she's clearly poking around for something to quote-mine into sounding like a threat, at which point her standard gish-galloping technique will begin.
Gee. I wish I was able to read minds that well, as I certainly don’t see any “clear” evidence that she’s “poking around for something to quote-mine”. Have you read her opening statement? Her response to Jack? Looked to me like a reasonable effort to meet “us” on a level playing field. Although I also think that she has some serious biases that she is unable to address. But bad faith? Sorry, don’t see it ….

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Steersman wrote:
Jack wrote:

Not to mention she was happy to imply she proposed the structure in the first place. Funny that.
It is, indeed.
Also seriously, do you care what Oolon or anyone else says on a blog that only allows positive comments through including claims we are all bombers?
Freeze peach, and all that. Although those types of comments aren’t likely to do their credibility any good, but I’m concerned about the consequential poisoning of the well. As has been discussed, we seem to agree that blogs are entitled to moderate as they see fit. But analogous to what someone was arguing on Nugent’s other threads in the context of supposedly sexist comments, draconian and self-serving if not fraudulent moderation is also not going to do their credibility any good whatsoever.
They are all cut and paste clones. That makes them extremely predictable and not very subtle. So it is neither fortunate or unfortunate. This is not for them.
That might well be true for many of them, but it is, I think, a serious stretch to argue that that is the case for all of them. I don’t think that tarring them all with the same brush helps “our” cause all that much.
They are not all the same but I guess there's been a kind of natural selection that has culled from their ranks, anyone who is prepared to call for moderation or who interjects with any kind of criticism. The Setar bomb comment is a classic example of inflammatory language that should be instantly criticised - or, considering that the board is heavily moderated by Svan, not allowed in the first place.
If you say something stupid on this board you'll get criticised for doing so. Once you reduce arguments down to 'sides' rather than issues then you leave yourself open to the sort of nonsense illustrated by Setar and the others who, although they probably don't agree with him, must hold their tongues in case they show disunity amongst the ranks.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
They are not all the same but I guess there's been a kind of natural selection that has culled from their ranks, anyone who is prepared to call for moderation or who interjects with any kind of criticism. The Setar bomb comment is a classic example of inflammatory language that should be instantly criticised - or, considering that the board is heavily moderated by Svan, not allowed in the first place.
If you say something stupid on this board you'll get criticised for doing so. Once you reduce arguments down to 'sides' rather than issues then you leave yourself open to the sort of nonsense illustrated by Setar and the others who, although they probably don't agree with him, must hold their tongues in case they show disunity amongst the ranks.
Generally agree with you there. As I think the case with EBW illustrates – even PZ had to give his commentariat a severe tongue-lashing over that – ok, ok, ok: maybe only a mild “guys, maybe you shouldn’t do that, but I’m kind of conflicted since you’re all so cute, and I did sort of give you carte blanche” ….

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Steersman wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:
Generally agree with you there. As I think the case with EBW illustrates – even PZ had to give his commentariat a severe tongue-lashing over that – ok, ok, ok: maybe only a mild “guys, maybe you shouldn’t do that, but I’m kind of conflicted since you’re all so cute, and I did sort of give you carte blanche” ….
They are echo chambers and I have never seen any discussion beyond broad agreement (unless one of us drops in) The A+ forums are similar. Lots of noise and no signal. Some people need their emotional buttons pushed regularly and blogs such as that feed into that need. Debate or discussion is the last thing they have any interest in. In fact A+ even says that and excuse it on their artificial and badly named 'safe space' policy.

We know the heavy moderation on these blogs is nothing to do with trolls, it is to do with blocking anything the contributors may not agree on. They mistake their irrational and uninformed aggression towards posters who may not tow the line with 'robust debate'. The total misrepresentation of what EBW said as well as the Ad Hominems, amongst numerous other logical fallacies, should have been an embarrassment to them. But they got their emotional kick so all is good. Who caress who they hurt or if what they say is nonsense? So to me it is mainly clones and what they say very predictable. Sadly predictable. Of course there will be outliers but they well be the exception and not the rule. People with any sense of justice and interest in discussion avoid such places like the plague.

windy

Post by windy »

Skep tickle wrote:http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamo ... /#comments

Sampling (not unbiased) of the 24 comments (from 18 or 19 people, including Ben Zvan) in the latest thread at Stephanie Zvan's site re the Nugent-sponsored dialogue, in reverse chronologic order:
A Hermit wrote:...I’m actually enjoying the “dialogue” because I see it as exposing the bankrupt thinking on the other side.
This Hermit twat has been busy running interference for them on various 'neutral' sites, claiming that "one side just wants civility"! I wondered if he had actually read FTB...

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

windy wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamo ... /#comments

Sampling (not unbiased) of the 24 comments (from 18 or 19 people, including Ben Zvan) in the latest thread at Stephanie Zvan's site re the Nugent-sponsored dialogue, in reverse chronologic order:
A Hermit wrote:...I’m actually enjoying the “dialogue” because I see it as exposing the bankrupt thinking on the other side.
This Hermit twat has been busy running interference for them on various 'neutral' sites, claiming that "one side just wants civility"! I wondered if he had actually read FTB...
One thing that has been apparent to me is that many do not inform themselves at all. Carrier's speech was a prime example of this. They may not even be aware any contrary opinions are usually suppressed and assume it is a small minority against them. They are victims of their own censorship.

That's a prime issue when relying purely on emotion in a suppressive environment. It often leads to bad judgement and gut feeling. It encourages laziness too as it takes no effort to actually read and do some basic research of facts. Hermit did post in the Nugent blogs but it was apparent he had little interest in doing anything except distorting what people said. Everything he said came from emotion and that is largely useless when discussing issues with others. It's why their echo chambers are useless in establishing the truth. Ideas and concepts are never explored but simply affirmed.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

FWIW, Stephanie Zvan did finally let one of my comments through and responded to it, although my response to it is still in moderation at the moment, to wit:
Steersman wrote: Stephanie said (#24):
You’ll notice the “just” in that sentence is not in quotes. That’s because it had to be added to what I said to create the position Steersman tries to attribute to me here. I don’t know why he thinks ensuring compliance to the terms I agreed to when this dialog started is something other than representing my interests…
Apart from wondering what precisely were “the terms you agreed to” which might have some relevance, there is the question of how narrowly you’re defining “your interests”, and whether those are entirely compatible with either Michael’s objectives, with your previously stated objective “to hash all this out in public” (1), or with the stated “moderation guidelines” (2). And relative to the latter, one might wonder why you should apparently think that - of the three groups of people posting there: those making opening statements, those responding to them, and those commenting on both – you should enjoy some privileged status with regard to those guidelines. Maybe, perchance, you think that you can’t be wrong in anything you say, do, or think?
…but I don’t really care. It just demonstrates why I’m not interested in dialog. It isn’t dialog when they’re doing it, just smears.
And which “smears” would those be? And who would “they” be? One or two “pitters” who are hardly in a position to speak for all there, much less all of the A/S community? Citations required. But, speaking of “smears”, one might wonder at Setar’s question in your “Reply the Second” thread: “Do they have to actually bomb a conference …?” And the fact that you have yet to let a response (3) by a pitter – Skep tickle – through moderation. Or how about Oolon’s “pit mythos … akin to nazism”? Smears, indeed.
Skep Sheik all but completely ignored the part of the terms in which agreement and disagreement with each point are supposed to be explicitly stated. Did I stop that post from going up exactly the way he wrote it? Did I even try? No.
There’s some asymmetry there that you apparently discount and ignore. Which has to qualify as being disingenuous at best if not intellectually dishonest. That you let “us” get away with speeding hardly justifies a demand that “we” let you get away with murder – analogously speaking.
But here we are, on Monday, still waiting for a post that should have gone up Saturday, because team “open debate” wants to change my response before anyone sees it rather than answer it after the fact.
Again, why should you think that you alone of all the participants to this dialog should not be subject to the same rules that everyone else is subject to? Elitism? Privilege speaking? Papal Infallibility?

----
1) “_http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamonds/2013/03/26/engaging-in-dialog/”;
2) “_http://atheistskepticdialogue.com/structure/”;
3) “_http://slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=84217#p84217”;
[And, in passing, a big hello to “PatrickG”, and possibly to Stephanie, as one or both seem to be lurking about … ;-)

But I also note that Ariel at least (#33) commendably acknowleges some “trigger-happy gunslingers” on both sides in pointing to several comments there including Setar’s.]

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Nice post Steers, will be interesting to see if it gets through.

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

Post 4 by Zvan is up and I can't make heads or tails of it without backtracking through all seven posts. I believe in legal terms this is called burying the opposition in paperwork.

This is, I believe, the intent of the format chosen (directed by Zvan).

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Submariner wrote:Post 4 by Zvan is up and I can't make heads or tails of it without backtracking through all seven posts. I believe in legal terms this is called burying the opposition in paperwork.

Why I have created an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of it all (below), although it is incomplete and only a “proof-of-concept”. And why I have recommended to “Team B” that an Excel Web App be created on Nugent’s site to keep track of all of the comments, opening statements, and responses:
ASD_Y130415A1.zip
Atheist-Skeptic Dialog; Version 15A1
(24.08 KiB) Downloaded 274 times

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Submariner wrote:Post 4 by Zvan is up and I can't make heads or tails of it without backtracking through all seven posts. I believe in legal terms this is called burying the opposition in paperwork.

She claimed it was suggested/influenced by her but she later complained about the format. So I would take any claims with a pinch of salt without more evidence.

There is also going to be a consolidating post to tidy things up. Posts wandering off into irrelevancies should be ignored. This needs to stick to what was said rather than padding it out. Otherwise it will go on for years.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Stephanie Zvan wrote:2b. The obvious example within secular and skeptical activist circles would be the idea that people must be willing to be subject to, for example, “dramatic readings” of their words on YouTube with no criticism attached, effective impostor Twitter accounts, being propositioned while working, threats, having their employment information published online, etc. in order to engage in or express opinions on secular or skeptical activism in public–with the rationale that, because some people say they are wiling to deal with these things happening to them, everyone else must allow them too. While this is “equal treatment” in theory, it is not equality in fact. It is unequal in that it bars only those people who do not wish to deal with this treatment. It is further similar to the marriage equality issue in that the bar to participation is irrelevant to the institution in which people are trying to participate. There is nothing inherent to marriage that requires it be limited to one man and one woman, just as nothing about tolerating this kind of harassment is required to advance our shared goals.
Here we have an intriguing rhetorical trick. Coupling gay marriage with unrelated issues has the purpose of making criticism to appear as if it was against all accounts, including (gay) marriage, which I expect her or her commentariat to exploit. The other application of this trick is to bait statements on such issues that will be —in my experience with them— always distorted and exploited. I suggest sidestepping it with a short concise comment about her trick, ignore its contents, especially since the analogy is completely borked. Emphasize which legitimate points (i.e. dramatic reading, doxxing, imposters etc.) are being addressed. She already tried similar things last time when she compared the commitment to further understanding with experiments on humans.

The legitimate points are a case of Arson, Murder, Jaywalking. I think nobody here favors doxxing, i.e. releasing private information about other people without their consent. But that's another irony, since Pharyngula exploded a few times with the Adria Richard's case, where the stance of the commentariat was, clearly, that taking pictures and tweeting them to thousands of followers along overheard conversation was an "exactly right" move. They even burned Ellen Beth Wachs over this. My views are consistent. I am against it, except in very special cases (such as warning people from imminent danger etc.), but I don't see why common sense must be discussed (like with human experiments, it is obvious that there are special cases, do we really have to discuss every corner and every angle, when some things should be clear?).

I don't know about imposters and would suspect that Twitter has protection against it. I think it crosses a line, but I haven't seen any orchestration or mentioning of it here. I would think it's obvious that this is not a legitimate action.

Obviously, Dramatic Reading is no issue at all and doesn't belong in this list at all. In fact, whatever comes out at Nugent's, I will never give away the only sensible weapon that works against loons, demagogues and bullies—not taking them seriously and poking fun at them. There are really worse issues, like declaring someone a sociopath, misogynist, rape enabler or future rapist, sexist, whatnot, along with the real name to help Google along. Yeah, I know. The FTBullies maintain that they are right and it only reflects the Truth™. We often enough saw how well that worked. Even if someone says something stupid and apologizes, I'm not believing that the correction gets the same attention as the outrage before.

Consider that most people are too low profile and don't really have lots of info of them on the net. One avalanche of FtB Bullies dogpiling and their own information is buried under their allegations. Whereas when a big blogger with hundreds of articles and opinions gets another opinion, it's just a tiny drop in a lake. It goes all the way back to Rebbecca Watson addressing Stef McGraw from a stage, or PZ Myers from his high traffic network going against NoelPlum (who he banned before). They are already edge cases, so it is borderline insane to expect normal users to sit by happily and endure everything from online pillory to dogpile without having any way of doing anything, not even mocking and poking fun at it. Has North Korea already won? We have some satire, a few dramatic readings and mocking. All along the "make fun if them" line. That's all. Compare to FTB & Allies, extreme smearing, suggesting we are in league with terrorists etc. Seriously, are they living in a parallel universe? Dramatic reading!? What about defense against pointed sticks?

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Don't know why I bother except for a bit of amusement.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamo ... ent-226979
R Johnston wrote:Sometimes the truth hurts. I’m sure they wanted to moderate the language of paragraphs 12 and 26 that calls their claims that they are having views imposed upon them in an effort to control them delusional. The “cargo cult” reference in 22 was probably another target. Sadly for them, delusional and cargo cult are apt and utterly fair descriptions of their viewpoints at issue in those paragraphs.
I submitted something like this:
I’m sure they wanted to moderate the language of paragraphs 12 and 26 that calls their claims that they are having views imposed upon them in an effort to control them delusional. The “cargo cult” reference in 22 was probably another target.
You may feel "sure", but since you're wrong that feeling is just a pleasant mirage.
Sometimes the truth hurts.
Would you like a Tylenol for that?

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Aneris wrote:
Stephanie Zvan wrote:2b. The obvious example within secular and skeptical activist circles would be the idea that people must be willing to be subject to, for example, “dramatic readings” of their words on YouTube with no criticism attached, effective impostor Twitter accounts, being propositioned while working, threats, having their employment information published online, etc. in order to engage in or express opinions on secular or skeptical activism in public–with the rationale that, because some people say they are wiling to deal with these things happening to them, everyone else must allow them too. While this is “equal treatment” in theory, it is not equality in fact. It is unequal in that it bars only those people who do not wish to deal with this treatment. It is further similar to the marriage equality issue in that the bar to participation is irrelevant to the institution in which people are trying to participate. There is nothing inherent to marriage that requires it be limited to one man and one woman, just as nothing about tolerating this kind of harassment is required to advance our shared goals.
Here we have an intriguing rhetorical trick. Coupling gay marriage with unrelated issues has the purpose of making criticism to appear as if it was against all accounts, including (gay) marriage, which I expect her or her commentariat to exploit. The other application of this trick is to bait statements on such issues that will be —in my experience with them— always distorted and exploited. I suggest sidestepping it with a short concise comment about her trick, ignore its contents, especially since the analogy is completely borked. ....
Where exactly is that analogy “borked”? While I tend to agree with you, at least to some extent, it is not at all clear to me that that is the case – and it might be a creditable response to explain why that is the case.

But, offhand, one might argue that in the case of gay marriage, laws against that are attempting to block two people in their direct pursuits of “life, liberty, and happiness” - with no apparent justification apart from "Gawd says so", whereas at least some of the other cases, particularly “dramatic readings”, and being propositioned, look to me to be a question of “feelings” – which Zvan conceded have “limited utility”. At the very least several of her examples are not consistent with the analogy.

windy

Post by windy »

Aneris wrote:
Here we have an intriguing rhetorical trick.
Holy non sequitur, Batman!

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

windy wrote:
Aneris wrote:
Here we have an intriguing rhetorical trick.
Holy non sequitur, Batman!
The breathtaking leap of logic she managed can only be appreciated when you see the starting point.
We stand for equality for all. We believe that all humans should be treated equally as people, with no inherent superiority of one over the other, as there is no rational basis for such claims of inherent superiority. Addressing areas of inequality such as seen in religions, cultures, and laws is done on the basis of these principles.
It's lucky that our side didn't mention anything specific about opposing racism or eliminating poverty. Peezus knows what she'd manage to twist that into.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
It's lucky that our side didn't mention anything specific about opposing racism or eliminating poverty. Peezus knows what she'd manage to twist that into.
Good job I didn't mention the dirty fork!

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Skep tickle wrote:Don't know why I bother except for a bit of amusement.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamo ... ent-226979
R Johnston wrote:Sometimes the truth hurts. I’m sure they wanted to moderate the language of paragraphs 12 and 26 that calls their claims that they are having views imposed upon them in an effort to control them delusional. The “cargo cult” reference in 22 was probably another target. Sadly for them, delusional and cargo cult are apt and utterly fair descriptions of their viewpoints at issue in those paragraphs.
I submitted something like this:
I’m sure they wanted to moderate the language of paragraphs 12 and 26 that calls their claims that they are having views imposed upon them in an effort to control them delusional. The “cargo cult” reference in 22 was probably another target.
You may feel "sure", but since you're wrong that feeling is just a pleasant mirage.
Sometimes the truth hurts.
Would you like a Tylenol for that?
Which she promptly did a snark reply to yet failed to mention your posts she did not let through. I can't believe how overtly dishonest these people are even by their own standards.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

FWIW, my posts (in two separate ones) in Zvan’s echo-chamber:
Steersman wrote: Stephanie said (#22):
It’s kind of like the way they keep getting upset that I “changed the rules” despite Mick being very clear that there were no explicit rules on moderating participant statements.
But that was well after the issue of the moderation of your responses came up. Disingenuous if not intellectually dishonest to not differentiate between the two cases.
There is no trust. I’m simply evil, and I will continue to be no matter how many principles we are actually in agreement on.
Trust is a two-way street. How much of that are you exhibiting by putting several of us in moderation? People in glass houses, and all that ….

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

The moderators let her slip this in, undefined.

Perhaps a definition of terms post needs to come into play before this proceeds too much further. After all, she uses the word harassment here and includes "dramatic readings" under it's (now enormous) umbrella.

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

Spot the logical fallacy:
Stephanie Zvan

April 16, 2013 at 1:12 pm (UTC -5)

Actually, if you look at that question in terms of working toward our goals, it gets really bloody simple.

Do you need to call anyone a “cunt” to get things done? No? Really? Huh, lookit that.

Do you need to identify sexism or misogyny to get things done? What? Sometimes you do because they’re getting in the way? Oh.

Done.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Submariner wrote:Spot the logical fallacy:
Stephanie Zvan

Actually, if you look at that question in terms of working toward our goals, it gets really bloody simple.

Do you need to call anyone a “cunt” to get things done? No? Really? Huh, lookit that.

Do you need to identify sexism or misogyny to get things done? What? Sometimes you do because they’re getting in the way? Oh.

Done.
Yep. Total non sequitur. A meaningless comparison.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

FWIW again, Stephanie responded to half of my post and to which I responded as follows (still in moderation):
Steersman wrote:Stephanie said (#31):
Neither disingenuous nor intellectually dishonest.
Yes, well, you would say that, wouldn’t you? Your assertion doesn’t detract from the bare fact that you were referring to a situation that occurred well after the time during which your statements were being questioned by the moderation team.

But whether that was the understanding you had or not, the question is whether it is ethical for you to be free of the moderation guidelines that everyone else is subject to. Why should you think that you alone of all the participants to this dialog should not be subject to the same rules that everyone else is subject to? Elitism? Privileged speaking? Papal Infallibility?
If you wonder why people find you tedious to converse with, there’s a good place to start.
Eye of the beholder. I might with just as much justification, if not more, suggest that what you are calling tedious is due to a refusal to face the facts of the matter.

I am quite prepared to concede that you have made many quite reasonable points, as have several others here in this camp – which I have argued rather strenuously in the Pit – which you should have noticed as others here have – and with the Team B moderation group.

However, I also think you have made some real howlers that egregiously contradict the spirit if not the letter of those moderation guidelines. For instance, I think you went way off the rails and into the weeds in a spectacular fashion in your argument using Phil Giordana’s “this is not acceptable” as some kind of evidence of an “emotional response”. Would you have gotten the picture if he had said as well, “as saying 2+2=5 is not acceptable”?

You apparently thought that “the white, cisgendered, educated, middle-class to upper-class men who have shaped the traditional concerns of our movements” – to which Phil responded as above – was indicative of some nefarious corruption of some pure principles of atheism and skepticism, and which apparently needed purification by “coloured, trans-gendered, ignorant, lower-class women” to be of any relevance. One might ask, analogously, is there a Black value for the speed of light different from a White one? A cis-gendered molecular weight of plutonium different from a trans-gendered one?

You made a bare-faced assertion of what many might reasonably call egregious and un-evidenced dogma which the inequitable application of moderation policies would seem to put outside the realm of discussion. Doesn’t look particularly ethical or skeptical; doesn’t look like cricket to me.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Ok, Stephanie let that last comment of mine out of moderation – for the “lulz”. The following is my response to her subsequent comment (still in moderation at the moment):
Steersman wrote:Stephanie said (#38):
Allowing Steersmans comment out of moderation for the sheer lulz inherent in the contradictions. Poor dear is all turned around.
What about Skep tickle’s comment questioning Setar’s “poisoning of the well” comment smearing the Pit with his “bomb” comment? Or is that something you agree with?

And “lulz” qualifies as a refutation of my argument? I expected better of you than that.
Also, this is not cricket. There is no game here. This is about getting work done. Don’t forget that.
I might direct you to the SEP article on game theory (1) – it is a discipline with substantially more ramifications and implications than some trivial pastime. You might pay particular attention to the section on “tit-for-tat” which has particular relevance to debates – this one in particular – and the interpersonal relationships fundamental to “getting work done” ….

----
1) “_”http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/game-theory/”;

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Jack wrote:
Submariner wrote:Spot the logical fallacy:
Stephanie Zvan

Done.
Yep. Total non sequitur. A meaningless comparison.
If the only thing that is universally agreed about the word 'cunt' is that it is a swear word, then all she is doing with the first part of that is arguing against swearing.
No, you don't always need to swear to get things done.
Many of us on this side don't swear. We still, however, disagree with them on many matters.
And swearing at their opponents is practically a defining feature for the FTB mob (even Dear "Dick" herself)
Is she really proposing that we remove swearing from atheist skeptical forums?
Fuck off!

And as for identifying misogyny?

Err, PZ's "lets do the sex thing later" sexist performance at skepticon comes to mind.
Apparently is was wrong to talk about this, though.
That was simply sex positive skepticism!
The woman wasn't asked permission to get harrassed by that oaf but because she didn't kick him in the nuts live on stage, we'll interpret her embarrassed compliance as enthusiastic consent.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

My last comment on Zvan’s blog to this comment of hers. And likely to be my last one there, period. In any case:
Steersman wrote:Stephanie said (#43):
Steersman is currently trying to make some case that people who have abused my patience while commenting should be allowed to comment because they don’t like something another commenter has said.
You were the one who talked about smears, yet you’re unable to wrap your head around the possibility that some in your camp are just as guilty of that, if not more so. Isn’t there a word for that? Starts with an “h”? ….
Steersman, Skep tickle, you have derailed my comment threads. You have insisted that you have some right to have me post you being abusive to me.
Yet you’re unable or unwilling to show how that question of Skep tickle’s (1) qualifies as being abusive to you. Looked to me to be a pretty reasonable question. But then again, I’m not wandering around with a chip on my shoulder the size of Texas ….
You’ve been general and tedious assholes, and unsurprisingly, that means that when you’re present, even by reference, commenters who have made valuable contributions to discussions here stop doing that and turn their attention to making you go away. I don’t like that, so I make you go away instead. I like my commenters as a group much better when they’re not dealing with you.
Seems you then prefer to have a bunch of sycophants falling over each other to tell you what a marvelous and wondrous person you are. The mark of a true skeptic, dedicated to the pursuit of logic, reason, and justice wherever those paths might lead. ‘Tis to laugh, even if only not to cry ….
Shoo
You, madame – and I use the term loosely, are an ignorant, arrogant fucking fat twat ….

----
1) “_http://slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=84217#p84217”;

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Lol nice post Steersman, can't see it getting though. The Institute of Truth and Justice will show it's hammer.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Jack wrote:Lol nice post Steersman, can't see it getting though. The Institute of Truth and Justice will show it's hammer.
Surprisingly, it did go through. Maybe she likes hearing "bad werdz" ... ;-)

I expect she let it through though as prima facie evidence of the deplorable state of our morals on this side of the tracks. You gotta take a look at the responses, notably this one by Zvan Herself:
Zvan wrote:Seriously, pitters, what’s so hard about understanding, “Yeah, some people act like jerks to you. When you’re not around, however, they’re lovely people with interesting things to say. Them I can keep from acting like jerks by keeping them from having to deal with you. You, however, pride yourselves on acting like jerks”? It isn’t a difficult concept.

No, don’t try to answer. Just go think about it for a while.
I certainly need a GPS and the Rosetta Stone to parse what she has there in quotes as I have only the barest idea what she is getting at; seems to me she is using "them" and "you" to refer to several different individuals or groups. Do you know what the hell she's trying to say?

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

I expect she let it through though as prima facie evidence of the deplorable state of our morals on this side of the tracks.
Precisely.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

John Greg wrote:
I expect she let it through though as prima facie evidence of the deplorable state of our morals on this side of the tracks.
Precisely.
I reached and surpassed the "ex-plaining" threshold ....

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Steersman wrote:My last comment on Zvan’s blog to this comment of hers. And likely to be my last one there, period. In any case:
Steersman, that post is a thing of beauty.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Tigzy wrote:
Steersman wrote:My last comment on Zvan’s blog to this comment of hers. And likely to be my last one there, period. In any case:
Steersman, that post is a thing of beauty.
Thnk you; thnk you 'ver much. :)

Interesting responses over there too .... as I've mentioned many times, the different interpretations remind me of something from Michael Shermer's The Believing Brain:
When you listen to both “conservative talk radio” and “progressive talk radio” you will hear current events interpreted in ways that are 180 degrees out of phase. So incongruent are the interpretations of even the simplest goings-on in the daily news that you wonder if they can possibly be talking about the same event.
There has to be some way of breaking out of those cycles of misinterpretations .... maybe a few "bad werdz" here and there helps to get their attention? ;-)

windy

Post by windy »

Steersman wrote:
Zvan wrote:Seriously, pitters, what’s so hard about understanding, “Yeah, some people act like jerks to you. When you’re not around, however, they’re lovely people with interesting things to say. Them I can keep from acting like jerks by keeping them from having to deal with you. You, however, pride yourselves on acting like jerks”? It isn’t a difficult concept.

I certainly need a GPS and the Rosetta Stone to parse what she has there in quotes as I have only the barest idea what she is getting at; seems to me she is using "them" and "you" to refer to several different individuals or groups. Do you know what the hell she's trying to say?
Excuse me stewardess, I speak FTB-jive.

"They"= some of her regular commenters
"You"=slymepitters

Meaning, Zvan is compelled to act net nanny and block pitters, lest their presence turn her regulars into jerks with no interesting things to say.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

PatrickG (in Zvan’s Echochamber) wrote:
Heh. From the ‘Pit thread linked in Steersman’s post up above, discussing his comment at #45:
I expect she let it through though as prima facie evidence of the deplorable state of our morals on this side of the tracks
Considering that kind of body-shaming and misogynist language is a major factor in the current Deep Rifts, why yes, it is evidence. Not that difficult to understand. Though, since he apparently needs a GPS and Rosetta Stone to decipher Stephanie’s comment at 48….
The thing is Patrick, neither you nor anyone else has actually managed to prove that “twat” and the like are actually misogynistic. That that is the way you interpret such words is not an obligation on everyone else to do likewise. Unless you perchance have some citations that that is the case; maybe some dissections of the word that shows where the "thigh bone is connected to the hip bone" and misogyny is intrinsic to it? And the fact that many women don’t see such words as that should be sufficient evidence – at least for most who have the merest pretentions to being skeptics – to disabuse most of that bit of folk wisdom.

As for “body-shaming”, “fat” was of course an insult, although I reject the implied contention that it was an insult of everyone who is likewise. My impression is that she is rather sensitive to that so I figured it was likely to get her attention: sort of a tit-for-tat for her “poor dear”, and “asshole”, and “shoo”. If she wishes to bandy dismissive if not sexist and misanthropic insults about then she should expect to have them come back at her in spades.
PatrickG (in Zvan’s Echochamber) wrote:
And, in passing, a big hello to “PatrickG”, and possibly to Stephanie, as one or both seem to be lurking about.
If being banned by an FTB blogger is an achievement on their side, do I get something comparable for being named *hushed voice* over there? No? Ah well.
Well, considering that chief troglodyte PZ Myers dungeonated Julian (I think) for having admitted to just lurking about here, I suppose that if you were to pop in there I’m sure one of his pet piranhas, sorry, commentariat would be sure to let him know of that so he could do the same to you. Although he seems to have given Janine (janphar) a pass on that, but maybe that was his sexism talking, or just his hypocrisy ….

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

windy wrote:
Steersman wrote:

Excuse me stewardess, I speak FTB-jive.
Why thank you, kind sir. Will that be coffee, tea? Or me?
"They"= some of her regular commenters
"You"=slymepitters

Meaning, Zvan is compelled to act net nanny and block pitters, lest their presence turn her regulars into jerks with no interesting things to say.
Apart from suggesting that, if that is the case then I think she and and Myers are failing in those attempts, I had sort of interpreted that, to a first approximation, as pitters acting like jerks to people like Watson, but who are otherwise “lovely people with interesting things to say”. Although I’ll agree that your interpretation hangs together much better.

However, that and many other subsequent comments over on Zvan’s site – many of which aren’t even wrong –illustrates my argument characterized by that quote of Shermer’s in #175 above.

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

I don't compliment Steersman often, but when I do ....

:clap: :dance: :clap: :dance: :clap: :dance: :clap: :dance: :clap:

Stay thirsty, Steersman.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Submariner wrote:I don't compliment Steersman often, but when I do ....

:clap: :dance: :clap: :dance: :clap: :dance: :clap: :dance: :clap:

Stay thirsty, Steersman.
Muchas gracias. :-)

Thirsty work though – going to have to break for some beer and popcorn in short order …. :-)

But I’m amazed at the responses on Zvan’s blog, notably by doubtthat, which illustrate what I’ve been trying to point out here and there and elsewhere for some time: many of them there seem to be just as certain, and just as sincere about their ways of looking at things as are many of us here on “our” side. There has to be a way of pointing that out and putting it all on the table for discussion – which is, of course, impossible on Zvan’s site.

But why I created that spreadsheet (#153 above), and think it might help in that regard ….