Old subthreads
Scented Nectar

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by Scented Nectar »

[youtube]YDTb3OGlSe4[/youtube]

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

Well, that DMCA sure worked wonders for her "business".

:think:

masakari2012

Post by masakari2012 »

[youtube]T2ebYMWiTXw[/youtube]

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Re: "Me Too" guy

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Dilurk wrote:
SteveW68 wrote:Floozie Canuck has a new post up:
http://freethoughtblogs.com/lousycanuck ... avis-roth/
StarStuff, a soulless cunt says:
August 16, 2012 at 7:40 pm ADT
I’ve wanted one of her necklaces for about a year, but I don’t usually have the money. But I will absolutely buy one once my financial aid is disbursed. I’ve had my eye on a few in particular :)
Damn you. Now my irony meter is broken.
Soooooo, Stardust is Sally? I thought she was saving for a contraception device. Wait! Can Surelyramics be used this way? Ok, mental bleach now.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

[youtube]IvhsQfSWUfo[/youtube]

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Masakari2012, you beat me by one minute on that one. :)

masakari2012

Post by masakari2012 »

Scented Nectar wrote:Masakari2012, you beat me by one minute on that one. :)
Funny, I thought that I was going to get beat by a few seconds on that one. I was reading through 2 pages worth of posts here, just to make sure it wasn't posted by anyone else first.

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

Steersman wrote:
Dilurk wrote:
franc wrote:
Dilurk wrote:As I said, these people are clueless about the Internet.
No, you're missing the point - that is the address she offered as "proof" of innocence in the twitter item above.
No I had not missed that, I just thought it was obviously stupid. Sorry I did not make myself clear. Sally has no clue about the Internet, how it works, what denizens inhabit it and even about memes. goatse being a well known meme.
Surprising the degree to which everyone – well, a lot of people – say things like, “oh, that is a well-known X”. That might well be true, but frequently it seems equivalent to little more than known “inside a small circle of friends”. Which your example would seem to illustrate – you, and others here, might be surprised to learn that not everyone lives and breathes the Internet ....
Continuation of your Internet 101 course.
http://knowyourmeme.com There are other sites with memes and meme generators. Check out reddit then you can graduate to 4chan.

But it seems that a more civilized approach is at least make some sort of oblique reference to links or definitions when there is the least possibility that a term might be misinterpreted ....
Sure. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goatse http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rickroll and finally http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Internet_phenomena

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

apparently in a dual attempt at drying up her revenue stream...

FOR SHAME!! A FTBully would NEVER try to interfere with someones 'revenue stream'!

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

Ugh.
ERV wrote:
apparently in a dual attempt at drying up her revenue stream...
FOR SHAME!! A FTBully would NEVER try to interfere with someones 'revenue stream'!

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Steersman wrote:
Dilurk wrote:
.... Demonstrate you think by coming up with cogent arguments and stop throwing simian feces about then you will earn respect.
Ah, so that’s what you think I’m doing? Not a credible argument if at the same time you say “You are right about your assessment of the last YT video Cris did, up to a point.” Pointing to specifics and providing explicit counter arguments is one thing, tarring the whole lot with the same “throwing simian feces” brush is something else again - maybe even, one might argue, a case of doing that exact same thing ....
.... Pinch of salt, Steersman, pinch of salt...
Generally a wise idea ... the essence of skepticism for one thing ....but not always easy to keep in mind in the heat of the moment ...
You really need to get into the Pit's culture (yeah we're like a cult or something).
Takes some getting used to, although I appreciate that there isn’t much recourse to fainting couches and crocodile tears ... curious that there doesn’t appear to be very many Pharyngulites who are prepared to brave the waters over here ...
I won't ingratiate Abbie with a response to her latest post, because I don't like Olympics. Also, quite drunk and heading to bed, so my answer would be something like "Garrble baable feck drink girls).
I may not agree with what you say, particularly if I don’t understand it, but I’ll defend to the death (not necessarily mine) .... But looks like a noble sentiment ... as W.C. Fields said, “A man has to believe in something. And I believe I’ll have another drink.” Cheers!

cunt

Post by cunt »

Did Entity do that? Of course not. Instead, Entity filed a DMCA counter-claim, which means that the original claimant either takes Entity to court within ten days, or Entity can put back up the copyrighted work. Counterclaims are rare, because most people don’t know about them and don’t know how to tell what’s “fair use” and what isn’t. Counterclaimants are usually advised to do so on advice of a lawyer, because the whole process is nebulous and a total crapshoot, no matter who’s obviously in the right. On the internet, fair use for images is a bit weird, but it’s well possible that Entity could even win such a case, assuming it was even Amy who filed it in the first place. What gets me is the sneering intentionality of the counterclaim — that sense of “I’ll use your work then hurt you for trying to stop me”.
The audacity to counterclaim against something that was obviously an unfair attempt to censor speech! To stand up for yourself. Its fucking amazing, these people still think that they are the good guys and they think the reluctance of other people to bend over and get shafted is a character defect.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Oh dear, I may have not be clear enough. Use commas, dumbfuck that I am!

The "Feck, Drink, girls!" was a reference to Father Ted. (father Jack Hacket, if you must know.

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

Steersman wrote:
Dilurk wrote:
.... Demonstrate you think by coming up with cogent arguments and stop throwing simian feces about then you will earn respect.
Ah, so that’s what you think I’m doing? Not a credible argument if at the same time you say “You are right about your assessment of the last YT video Cris did, up to a point.” Pointing to specifics and providing explicit counter arguments is one thing, tarring the whole lot with the same “throwing simian feces” brush is something else again - maybe even, one might argue, a case of doing that exact same thing ....
Ah re-read Kazez especially the part about 'be charitable' about what you read. As
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote: said "Pinch of salt".
Learn to sit on your posts and calm down first, that is what I meant about your 'simian feces'. Do you understand now?

SteveW68

Post by SteveW68 »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Oh dear, I may have not be clear enough. Use commas, dumbfuck that I am!

The "Feck, Drink, girls!" was a reference to Father Ted. (father Jack Hacket, if you must know.
"ARSE!"

SteveW68

Post by SteveW68 »

cunt wrote:http://freethoughtblogs.com/lousycanuck ... avis-roth/
Did Entity do that? Of course not. Instead, Entity filed a DMCA counter-claim, which means that the original claimant either takes Entity to court within ten days, or Entity can put back up the copyrighted work. Counterclaims are rare, because most people don’t know about them and don’t know how to tell what’s “fair use” and what isn’t. Counterclaimants are usually advised to do so on advice of a lawyer, because the whole process is nebulous and a total crapshoot, no matter who’s obviously in the right. On the internet, fair use for images is a bit weird, but it’s well possible that Entity could even win such a case, assuming it was even Amy who filed it in the first place. What gets me is the sneering intentionality of the counterclaim — that sense of “I’ll use your work then hurt you for trying to stop me”.
The audacity to counterclaim against something that was obviously an unfair attempt to censor speech! To stand up for yourself. Its fucking amazing, these people still think that they are the good guys and they think the reluctance of other people to bend over and get shafted is a character defect.
Dishonesty called out by yours truly at comment 16...

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

SteveW68 wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Oh dear, I may have not be clear enough. Use commas, dumbfuck that I am!

"ARSE!"
Also, yes.

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

Scented Nectar wrote:[youtube]IvhsQfSWUfo[/youtube]
I bet he has big ones too.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

From Thimbledoodoo:
First Thunderf00t posts a copyrighted image of hers in order to make fun of her, and the very idea of harassment policies. Amy tells him he does not have permission to use the image, and asks that he takes it down. He does, but replaces it with an image mocking her.
:lol:
Then a certain disingenuous and argumentationally-vacuous entity in our community, who claims both to be a leader and to represent the moral high ground of attacking people’s arguments instead of their person, posts a copyrighted image of Amy’s in order to try to cut her down. This entity — henceforth known as Entity (who will go unlinked, so I’m not accused of trying to ruin their reputation in a bullying fashion by pointing out their trollish actions!) — wrote the post to say that Amy is divisive and damaging to the community because she wants conferences to ban the parody jewellery, rather than what she actually suggested, that harassment policies would provide frameworks for complaining about being targeted for harassment like she had been. The entire post was a straw dummy, as is Entity’s modus operandi, but the post stood unopposed, unmentioned and unloved, until Blogger’s automatic DMCA takedown process reverted the post to draft status until the blogger in question could remove the offending image.

So people now have a rhetorical club to beat Amy with. Despite there being no evidence that Amy herself posted the DMCA takedown notice, it’s very probably her because she’s the copyright owner. But the action recommended in the takedown notice was to remove the offending content and the rest could be republished.

Ah, Tibbywibbydoodoo, I wish I could say more; but accordinging to the email I got today, I can't. If you're lurking, consider the old Chinese curse: May important people take notice of you.

*Tigzy has been a low-down dirty rat!* :twisted:

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Lousy canuck is a total absolute gone fuckwit. Does anyone actually read his blog for anything other than to laugh at the cunt?

If fuckwit amy is so sure that theres a breach of her copyright taken place she should have no qualms about going to court. That's the fucking system of law we have in place canuck you dunse.

Canucks whole fucking argument is based on the idea that it's wrong to call someones bluff, and the bystander should feel sorry for the bluffer that they've been called. What is it with the baboon victim culture?

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Sorry to derail, but the Voltaire quote "I don't agree...but I will fight to the death" is not by Voltaire. It's by a biographer

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Tigzy you've got me intrigued

Saint N.

Post by Saint N. »

Lousy Canuck wrote: “The Other Atheist” is one of Franc Hoggle / Victor Ivanoff‘s pseudonyms, by the way.
Since they're still clueless retarded enough to believe that franc is Victor Ivanoff, does that mean that they're intentionally doc dropping someone's "identity"? What would Natalie Reed say about that? Nothing, probably, considering they've been doing it for a good year now and she didn't utter a peep in protest until she feared it might happen to her. I'm sorry, I just can't bring myself to even pretend to take any concerns they bring up seriously.

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

Za-zen wrote:Lousy canuck is a total absolute gone fuckwit. Does anyone actually read his blog for anything other than to laugh at the cunt?

If fuckwit amy is so sure that theres a breach of her copyright taken place she should have no qualms about going to court. That's the fucking system of law we have in place canuck you dunse.

Canucks whole fucking argument is based on the idea that it's wrong to call someones bluff, and the bystander should feel sorry for the bluffer that they've been called. What is it with the baboon victim culture?
I am sorry he is a canuck. What a waste of otherwise useful carbon and water.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

masakaria2012 at http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... 6700#p8083, thanks for that. GWW video is great just great. I am really looking forward to seeing if she gets around to determining who did this DMCA thingy.

And her comment (paraphrased): "If this turns out to be someone from the FTB or Skepchick communities I will shit my pants for joy"

Yippee!

Let's hope it is.

And, yes LousyTidybowl is a fatuous, self-centered, woefully ignorant retard, who onyy sees in pure black and white.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

masakari2012 wrote:[youtube]T2ebYMWiTXw[/youtube]
Bloody hell...have to say, if I was the person(s) who filed that DMCA claim against her, I'd be fair shitting meself right now.

GirlWritesWhat is clearly someone not to be fucked with.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Za-zen wrote:Tigzy you've got me intrigued
All I can say is that important people have been notified (by sneaky rat me). About something.*

As to whether anything will come of it - I don't know. Feckin hope so though. :lol:

*nothing illegal or unethical, I should add. In fact, it's very ethical. Very ethical indeed.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Sorry to derail, but the Voltaire quote "I don't agree...but I will fight to the death" is not by Voltaire. It's by a biographer
Interesting; learn something new everyday:
Wikiquote wrote:... first used by Evelyn Beatrice Hall, writing under the pseudonym of Stephen G Tallentyre in The Friends of Voltaire (1906),

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Girlwriteswhat is one serious cookie (this is not a gender term) i wouldn't want to have her call out an argument i made, because if she called it out, i'd need a serious timeout to reconsider my argument before defending it.

Dilurk, i'm working on the assumption that he's an anomoly, you more than rectify any slur on the term canuck.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

For those who wish to believe that sweet Beccy Whatnot is not a privileged white gal who has some suspicious leanings towards racism, please remember this tweet, which came up during The Thread's original incarnation:

https://twitter.com/rebeccawatson/statu ... 7006171136

She found it hilarious that people were comparing the African American cis-presenting heterosexual able-bodied male known as Chris Brown as a piece of broccoli. I think it was to do with his hairstyle, and I'm fairly sure there was a racistically photoshopped image to go along with the meme.

Time to browse the archives.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

:eusa-violin:

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

John Greg wrote:masakaria2012 at http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... 6700#p8083, thanks for that. GWW video is great just great. I am really looking forward to seeing if she gets around to determining who did this DMCA thingy.

And her comment (paraphrased): "If this turns out to be someone from the FTB or Skepchick communities I will shit my pants for joy"

Yippee!

Let's hope it is.

And, yes LousyTidybowl is a fatuous, self-centered, woefully ignorant retard, who onyy sees in pure black and white.
He might well be badly mistaken in his premises, his logic and his conclusions. But I really can’t see there is any credibility in arguing that he is a “fatuous, self-centered, woefully ignorant retard, who only sees in pure black and white”.

The problem is that he seems to make a very credible case – generally speaking as his references to Hall’s T-shirt and to Amy’s crying in her beer don’t add much to it – which, absent some serious digging and analysis and knowledge of past history, lead too many to give unthinking support to it.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

I'm curious about this excerpt from Teebo's 'Surly-Amy-is-really-nice-so-you-should-all-leave-her-alone-y'all' post:
My already favorable impression of Amy was redoubled when I found out that she’d nearly singlehandedly sent dozens of women to TAM over the years, organizing and running fundraisers and committing resources from her Surlys to that end. She had a great deal of help, but she was almost certainly the lynchpin. And she writes timely and important rallying cries when the movement needs them the most — and that’s what a leader does, even if they don’t necessarily want or accept that mantle.
A leader? O rly?

Does Beccy Boos know?

Is Beccy Boos planning to stand down, with reluctant heroine Amy ready to take the mantle?

Or does Beccy have competition amidst the skepchicks now?

To find out all this and more, stay tuned for our next episode of Dope...

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Re: that Lousy Canuck comment.

This is a great demonstration that the Baboons have no idea of cause and effect. They tried their damnest to tar TAM2012 with exagerrated threats about rape, harassment, and how DJ is a sexist pig. Plus, add Lousy's homophobia in the mix, and then you wonder why quite a number of the TAM2012 attendees were a little irked by the presence of some of those flinging the shit. The response came in the form of gentle and satirical T-shirt messages, and parody.

This pails into insignificance when compared to the abuse and vitriol thrown from the Baboons in the last year or so. I just get the feeling Amy and her frail supporters are just gutted that there are others in the A/S community (especially women - those "gender traitors") who are now actively opposing and challenging them.

Surly Amy - go and fuck off.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Thought this should get another airing.

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/ ... 566034.jpg

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Tigzy wrote:I'm curious about this excerpt from Teebo's 'Surly-Amy-is-really-nice-so-you-should-all-leave-her-alone-y'all' post:
My already favorable impression of Amy was redoubled when I found out that she’d nearly singlehandedly sent dozens of women to TAM over the years, organizing and running fundraisers and committing resources from her Surlys to that end. She had a great deal of help, but she was almost certainly the lynchpin. And she writes timely and important rallying cries when the movement needs them the most — and that’s what a leader does, even if they don’t necessarily want or accept that mantle.
A leader? O rly?

Does Beccy Boos know?

Is Beccy Boos planning to stand down, with reluctant heroine Amy ready to take the mantle?

Or does Beccy have competition amidst the skepchicks now?

To find out all this and more, stay tuned for our next episode of Dope...
Not an implausible argument. Armies are made up of Sergeants and Corporals and Lieutenants and the whole rest of the hierarchy – all of whom might reasonably be called “leaders”, all without that implying any palace revolts in the making ...

Throw stones if you wish, but you might want to recalibrate your gunsights ....

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Dilurk wrote:
Steersman wrote:
Dilurk wrote:
Ah re-read Kazez especially the part about 'be charitable' about what you read. As
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote: "Pinch of salt".

Learn to sit on your posts and calm down first, that is what I meant about your 'simian feces'. Do you understand now?
I understand that with that comment you are, in effect, categorically characterizing all of my posts [hint: “your posts”] as “simian feces”. Which sincerely looks like a very large pile of horseshit ...

franc

Post by franc »

Dilurk wrote:
franc wrote:
No, you're missing the point - that is the address she offered as "proof" of innocence in the twitter item above.
No I had not missed that, I just thought it was obviously stupid. Sorry I did not make myself clear. Sally has no clue about the Internet, how it works, what denizens inhabit it and even about memes. goatse being a well known meme.
She had enough of a clue to map the IP to New Jersey. As far as I know she did that unassisted. That's the only way it clicked - I saw the fake TF give her the goatse mirror IP, on a whim did a location on it and <flashing lightbulb> it was New Jersey. I have a hunch though that she does not realise you can put a raw IP into a browser, so she may still be ignorant on that.

Dilurk

On privilege

Post by Dilurk »

It seems obvious to me that the misuse of the term privilege, is used by some as an excuse to be a bigot. As has been pointed out, the term only has relevance when used in general terms for a group. It is obviously true that if you are born into a rich family your education will be paid for, so it could be said you have 'monetary privilege'. No matter that this hypothetical someone might be blind, using your simplistic distillation they still have this 'monetary privilege'. As another example, saying "You have white older male privilege" therefore I can be a bigot against you, as they did to Dawkins, is sheer laziness. Instead of making an attempt to understand where someone comes from, you dismiss everything they say because you claim they have privilege. It's a really nasty form of the genetic fallacy. Dawkins had something to say across this cultural divide of UK vs. the USA that was badly mistranslated. With a bit of research, it would have been apparent that Dawkins knew very well what sexual harassment is like and that understands quite well what sexism is, despite his wealth. It is certainly true that we all have blind spots and biases, that's almost a tautology, but misusing privilege to dehumanize other human beings I find reprehensible.

Diane

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Steersman wrote: Not an implausible argument. Armies are made up of Sergeants and Corporals and Lieutenants and the whole rest of the hierarchy – all of whom might reasonably be called “leaders”, all without that implying any palace revolts in the making ...

Throw stones if you wish, but you might want to recalibrate your gunsights ....
Likewise, politically-motivated bodies - as opposed to armies - have been known for fractious infighting over leadership positions. Re: Thatcher's dismissal as leader of the Conservatives; the Blair & Brown infighting as regards new Labour (UK politics I know, so apologies if the reference seems irrelevant to you)

Also, it should be noted that Becky-Boos is kinda...ruthless, it seems to me. One need only see what she got up to when she was erroneously given admin priviledges at JREF (http://phawrongula.wikia.com/wiki/Rebecca_Watson). She's also pretty fame hungry, given recent posts on this forum about how she attempted to ingratiate herself with certain UK celebs.

No, I don't think Becky would be ready to give up her exalted position at Skepchicks without a fight. This is not to say that there is indeed presently a contest as such between Becky and Amy; but Amy's been getting a lot of press recently, and with Teeboo suggesting that Amy herself might also be a leader of sorts, I have a feeling that Becky will be keeping a beady eye on Amy at the moment.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

CommanderTuvok wrote:Re: that Lousy Canuck comment.

This is a great demonstration that the Baboons have no idea of cause and effect. They tried their damnest to tar TAM2012 with exagerrated threats about rape, harassment, and how DJ is a sexist pig. Plus, add Lousy's homophobia in the mix, and then you wonder why quite a number of the TAM2012 attendees were a little irked by the presence of some of those flinging the shit. The response came in the form of gentle and satirical T-shirt messages, and parody.

This pails into insignificance when compared to the abuse and vitriol thrown from the Baboons in the last year or so. I just get the feeling Amy and her frail supporters are just gutted that there are others in the A/S community (especially women - those "gender traitors") who are now actively opposing and challenging them.

CommanderTuvok wrote:Plus, add Lousy's homophobia in the mix ....
I’m sure Joseph Goebbels, the Reich Minister of Propaganda, would have been pleased to have had you as an understudy – you probably could have taught him a thing or two.

That you have managed to inflate some picayune and oblique reference by Thibeault to, I believe, Grothe preferring men to some pervasive, odious and all-encompassing “homophobia” is truly a triumph of innuendo if not propaganda. Well done, true and faithful servant to the Fatherland! Sieg Heil!

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

franc wrote:
Dilurk wrote:
franc wrote:
She had enough of a clue to map the IP to New Jersey. As far as I know she did that unassisted. That's the only way it clicked - I saw the fake TF give her the goatse mirror IP, on a whim did a location on it and <flashing lightbulb> it was New Jersey. I have a hunch though that she does not realise you can put a raw IP into a browser, so she may still be ignorant on that.
I couldn't be arsed to use lynx on the IP to see what goodies were at the other end. Moreover if you have a name-based virtual host going on, you may or may not see what you expect. (I run several myself) I am afraid I assumed that it was obvious to everyone that the IP given was given by the fake Thunderf00t and thus very suspect. I thought I remembered someone helped her map it to NJ. In any case as the IP I looked at was a linode VPS it was most likely not a name-based virtual host and most suspect so I couldn't be bothered. Frankly, I saw the goatse the first time around and found it boring. There are a couple of other nasty graphics around that this prim and proper old witless granny will not want to corrupt the minds of minors with. (Oh poo!) As I said, I think I miscommunicated here. Sorry about that.

franc

Post by franc »

John Greg wrote:I have absolutely no respect for Rebecca Watson whatsoever. However, all the folks who are pointing to the picture of Watson thumbs-upping the black face dolls as being representative of some kind of morals/ethics slip on Watson's behalf are being ridiculous and completely missing the quite obvious point that she is being ironical/sarcastic by highlighting the ridiculousness of the dolls.
And I think you are missing the point that so are we John. Were it any other person, I would not give a flying fuck. But it is highly amusing to see this from Watson when lesser scenes with males involved and a possible sexist slant are grounds for screaming RAPE!!! Exploding pots and kettles and all that.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

I think Steersman is the Slymepit's counterpart to Strange Gods Before Me (aum thingy).

Don't get cross, Steers - I actually kind of admire SGBM.

franc

Post by franc »

TFJ wrote: You never know with Hoggle though; I have a sneaking suspicion that he's just stirring with that pic.
Someone has to keep you on your toes.

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

Tigzy wrote:I think Steersman is the Slymepit's counterpart to Strange Gods Before Me (aum thingy).

Steersman is a quick learner. I think he'll be salvageable. I'm hoping anyway.

Steersman. Don't you fucking let me down you cunt.

Slither

Post by Slither »

TruthAndOblivion has a moving video calling out the FfTBers:
[youtube]Ljc9R_6OnKQ[/youtube]

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Myers has a post on for-profit universities in the US:
Have you been following Doonesbury for the past few weeks? It’s been all about the progressive destruction of the American university, as the old model is replaced by the for-profit university, a hideous scheme in which state and federal support for higher education gets siphoned off to support lousy schools that grind through massive numbers of students, offering low tuition, flexible hours, and a fast-track to a degree…and with abysmal retention rates, low success, marginally qualified ‘faculty’, and an education that is worth less than you paid for it. These are the colleges you see advertised on cheesy commercials on television, in which some guy proudly testifies about getting his fancy diploma working only a few hours a week at night over two years, and never having to step away from his computer to do it.
As an Unseen Academical-type and employee of a state university, I don't disagree, but pattern-recognizing Owl recognizes patterns, and remembers that another FfTBer has mentioned working at an online for-profit university. Who would that be? Oh yeah, it was Svan and/or her spouse. :mrgreen:

Myers took a year-long sabbatical at reduced salary to write his book, IIRC. Nothing wrong with that, but the option to take a sabbatical is becoming less common at US universities. I can't take a sabbatical, for example, and I'm tenured full-time faculty. I even outlined the research manuscripts I planned to complete, as well as a couple of proposed history of medicine/literary analysis manuscripts I'd arranged to work on with another academic at a uni up the interstate. Chair said no, no sabbaticals. So now I work on the former in my "spare time" (one published, two to go) and the latter will probably never get written. ::shrugs::

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Dilurk wrote:
Tigzy wrote:I think Steersman is the Slymepit's counterpart to Strange Gods Before Me (aum thingy).

I like the fact that he dissents. Wherever possible, admittedly. I'd rather have a Slimepit where any flaws are quickly pointed out rather than have it succumb to the near-totalitarian atmosphere of FfTB (despite SGBM's best efforts - but he's really more a brutal reflection of your average baboon anyway)

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

Tigzy wrote:
Dilurk wrote:

I like the fact that he dissents. Wherever possible, admittedly. I'd rather have a Slimepit where any flaws are quickly pointed out rather than have it succumb to the near-totalitarian atmosphere of FfTB (despite SGBM's best efforts - but he's really more a brutal reflection of your average baboon anyway)
I love the dissent, dissent is good. It helps to stave off the deadly group think. I hope he is as stubborn as I am and sticks around.

Dilurk

3 more DMCA takedown notices

Post by Dilurk »

Post by Guest »

Dilurk wrote:
Tigzy wrote:
Dilurk wrote:

I love the dissent, dissent is good. It helps to stave off the deadly group think. I hope he is as stubborn as I am and sticks around.
This. So much this, ya fuckin' cunts.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Scented Nectar wrote:
franc wrote:I don't think he wanted the Sally HighStrung assumption to be true either.
I wonder how successful she is at this whole raping herself business. What if both sides are equally strong. She'd pass out exhausted before any forcing of sex could occur.
Dilurk wrote:Or learn how to embroider!
'Scuse my spam, but if you are into needlepoint or cross-stitch, some years ago I made Over 1700 free patterns that can be done in either needlepoint or cross-stitch at any size you like. I've only ever actually stitched 2 of them myself, but it was fun making the patterns (different and better than other patterns due to my sequential method /hey me, stop bragging, dammit).
Bookmarked! I like the flowers especially.

I'm well-versed in most of the needle/fiber arts, and knitting is the fiber art of choice at the moment. I'm trying to make more of my own clothing by hand, with the rest fair-trade, organic, and/or recycled, but unfortunately I'm usually drawn to knitting interminable lace pieces which no one, not even tall Pre-Raphaelitish yours truly, can wear and are too large to use even as wallhangings. Heh.

I swear that knitting keeps me from throttling some of my malingering twat colleagues.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

franc wrote:
Dilurk wrote:
franc wrote:
... She had enough of a clue to map the IP to New Jersey. As far as I know she did that unassisted.
Where is there any indication of that? Unless she made reference to the location before 3:47, I can’t see that that is a credible argument because of this post:
Eric P Says:

August 13, 2012 at 3:47 am

69.164.217.27 IP address location & more:
IP address [?]: 69.164.217.27 [Whois] [Reverse IP]
IP country code: US
IP address country: ip address flag United States
IP address state: New Jersey
IP address city: Newark
IP address latitude: 40.7357
IP address longitude: -74.1724
ISP of this IP [?]: Linode
Organization: Linode
Host of this IP: [?]: li132-27.members.linode.com [Whois] [Trace]
Local time in United States: 2012-08-12 23:45
franc wrote:That's the only way it clicked - I saw the fake TF give her the goatse mirror IP, on a whim did a location on it and <flashing lightbulb> it was New Jersey. I have a hunch though that she does not realise you can put a raw IP into a browser, so she may still be ignorant on that.
You argue that she is supposedly clever and Internet-savvy enough to have used sock-puppets, yet isn’t enough so to “put a raw IP into a browser”? Something does not compute, Captain ....

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

CommanderTuvok wrote:
My response:

http://www.justinvacula.com/2012/08/res ... anuck.html

First paragraph:
"Blogger Jason Thibeault, writing for the blog 'Lousy Canuck' has recently authored a post titled “The campaign against Amy Davis Roth” in which he authors a very passionate defense of 'Surly Amy' who has, on his account, has been “under concerted attack.” The post is largely an emotional appeal and fails because he misrepresents many things and seems to consider everyone who merely disagrees with 'Surly Amy' to be a nasty bully. Within the post, he heaps abuse at me, distorts many things, and references the DMCA (Digital Millenium Copyright Act) complaint I received which may have been from 'Surly Amy.'"

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Dilurk wrote:

Performance Anxiety! [PA]

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Steersman wrote:
CommanderTuvok wrote:Re: that Lousy Canuck comment.

CommanderTuvok wrote:Plus, add Lousy's homophobia in the mix ....
I’m sure Joseph Goebbels, the Reich Minister of Propaganda, would have been pleased to have had you as an understudy – you probably could have taught him a thing or two.

That you have managed to inflate some picayune and oblique reference by Thibeault to, I believe, Grothe preferring men to some pervasive, odious and all-encompassing “homophobia” is truly a triumph of innuendo if not propaganda. Well done, true and faithful servant to the Fatherland! Sieg Heil!
:D

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Dilurk wrote:Steersman is a quick learner. I think he'll be salvageable. I'm hoping anyway
I'm not sure. He seems a little bit slow on the uptake. He's still a bit Baboonish.

There's time yet...

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

justinvacula wrote:
CommanderTuvok wrote:
My response:

http://www.justinvacula.com/2012/08/res ... anuck.html

First paragraph:
"Blogger Jason Thibeault, writing for the blog 'Lousy Canuck' has recently authored a post titled “The campaign against Amy Davis Roth” in which he authors a very passionate defense of 'Surly Amy' who has, on his account, has been “under concerted attack.” The post is largely an emotional appeal and fails because he misrepresents many things and seems to consider everyone who merely disagrees with 'Surly Amy' to be a nasty bully. Within the post, he heaps abuse at me, distorts many things, and references the DMCA (Digital Millenium Copyright Act) complaint I received which may have been from 'Surly Amy.'"
The horror! The horror! ....
Surly Amy wrote:... angry troll-like people that did some really awful things to me in real life - that sort of thing that you usually only see online I was actually face to face with. I had people wearing t-shirts saying that they were not a skepchick, people making fake jewelry that I make that said things on it like 'you should be embarrassed.'

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Tigzy wrote:I like the fact that he dissents.
I like that his Godwinning is obvious and without a hint of irony. Fuck you, Godwin!