Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Old subthreads
Steersman

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Post by Steersman »

Jack wrote:
Steersman wrote:
Jack wrote: <snip>
Jack: I've posted several responses to the opening statements and have received an e-mail response from the Moderation Team on one of them. I just responded by e-mail and just got back this error message:
The following message to <> was undeliverable.
The reason for the problem:
5.1.2 - Bad destination host 'DNS Hard Error looking up ****.com (MX): NXDomain'
A problem on my end or something with e-mail addresses for the moderators? I'll probably pass this along to Michael as well, but I wonder, could you maybe look into it as well? Thanks.
Sure. I'll let Skeptickle know.
Thanks.

In passing though, I probably shouldn’t have posted that e-mail address – my bad. If Lsuoma wants to edit that out then I’m ok with that, and it might be a good idea to do so.

codelette

Post by codelette »

ERV wrote:
codelette wrote:Sometimes I wonder if Hensley is just mocking the "poor little rich girl" meme. The other she was so sad over not being able to adopt a second pug...
Last week was bemoaning the fact 'things were tight' and she and her Cabbage Patch Doll husband couldnt afford to eat out every meal anymore. And they 'dont cook', so BAAAAAAAAAW.

But literally like two tweets earlier she was suggesting her friends get laser hair removal treatments because it worked GREAT for her (costs thousands of dollars).

She is so gross.
Lol That laser looks like right out of a MAD TV Oprah skit:
"If you want to reduce your spending; cut to half the staff of your second mansion", "for tax breaks: BUY A MOUNTAIN"

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Wonderist wrote: (NB: Tim Skellett has recently withdrawn from the formal process, and will be doing his own thing I imagine; he's expressed that he does not feel he can fully support the position that was posted; I'll leave it to him to say more from his POV; I get the feeling it's not a personal thing, but an issue of how the 'structured dialogue' is structured into two 'sides', and he's not fully comfortable being put in that position/grouping).
What exactly is the next step in the process?
Are you planning to keep doing the remaining 4 sections exactly like the first stage, the only difference being the absence of Tim Skellett?

codelette

Post by codelette »

Jack wrote:
Apples wrote:Interesting Twitter convo re: cunt, etc.

With the usual bit of racism thrown in for good measure:)

These people are the most racist I have ever come across and I live in an area with 50% non-whites. What a surprise that their bigoted dogma allows that. It's a complete scam.
I have noticed that before. Most of them move to white enclaves (cough, MN) and then complain about lack of brown peeps.

16bitheretic

Post by 16bitheretic »

ReneeHendricks wrote:Reading through the stuff regarding Nugent's "Dialogue". It's hard to describe. Speaking for myself, I don't plan on relenting when it comes to pointing out stupidity, ignorance, blatant misandry, and overt hypocrisy. However, in the past few weeks I've found some of the crap lobbed back and forth just unacceptable. Again, this is speaking purely for myself. I would like to establish some sort of middle ground. I have no desire to be painted as a bad person or a misogynist simply because I don't believe feminism should be force fed into our minds and mannerism. Nor do I think that the AtheismPlus agenda has anything to do with a non-existing belief in god or gods. They both have shit-all to do with atheism.

So, while I am intelligent enough to realize there will be no great "group hug" when this is all said and done, I'm also cognizant of the fact that this sort of thing will, at a minimum, publicly show that at our core we are striving for many of the same goals. I was a feminist way before I was an atheist. I was an LGBTQ supporter way before I was an atheist. These ideologies are separate.
Honestly, given that people like PZ and Ophelia have already shit on the very idea of discussion and seeing the Almost Diamonds comments by people like LeftSidePositive, I have no actual hope of any "coming together" on a large scale. I think my point in joining the discussions is just to present for the audience who will be reading what one single person thinks about the subjects and the rhetoric that's been lobbed back and forth and to try and dispel some of the myths and strawmen arguments lobbed at people who have been critical of certain bloggers and groups or the attempt to tie certain political dogmas to scientific inquiry or to non-belief in divine entities. Especially in the last couple weeks with this attempt I've seen from some to build a narrative that anyone who has criticized FTB or A+ is some fanatical far-right-wing misogynist or that anyone who criticizes certain elements of modern 3rd wave/radical feminist hypotheses is somehow anti-women's rights and equality.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

codelette wrote:
Jack wrote:

These people are the most racist I have ever come across and I live in an area with 50% non-whites. What a surprise that their bigoted dogma allows that. It's a complete scam.
I have noticed that before. Most of them move to white enclaves (cough, MN) and then complain about lack of brown peeps.
[youtube]MZcWi6wEbG0[/youtube]

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

So Melody and her Cabbage Patch Doll ( :lol: :lol: :lol: ) don't cook? WTF??

And this is someone who, presumably, has the gall to lecture others on 'privilege'.

I guess they must eat out at restaurants, get take-out or, if they're feeling really adventurous, pop a ready-meal in the microwave. Might explain Mel's size - as well as the illnesses she frequently complains about.

Seriously, if Melody's looking to get healthier, regularly cooking for herself is one of the best things she can do. Starting with the base ingredients from scratch will cut out a lot of the hidden fats and sugar she's liable to get from take-out, processed meals and certain restaurant fare (especially if it's a chain restaurant). If she can get her meats and vegetables as fresh as possible, then all the better.

Damn, she is one strange lady.

Pepsi

Post by Pepsi »

It's not different. Surely people here have built up a rep in their eyes. The point of goading people into giving names is to take personal information that has nothing to do with knowing what we think or how we've been behaving, right? If they ride this train Zvan is providing, then it's no different from the pit's asking guests to put their usual pseudonym in. NOT going to work, Zvan. Nice try. They don't care about usernames you've been using, clearly, they want your personal life.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

I have a question for those that say "cunt" is sexist because it uses the female genitalia as a curse word and thus implies it's a bad thing: what about "dick"? "Prick"? "Cock"? Are these not slang for the penis used as curse words and thus make the implication it's a bad thing as well? What about "fuck" or "fucking"? "Fuck" is a slur, the worst slur, you can't say "fuck" on television. Isn't "fucking" also a good thing? Aren't "cunts" and "dicks"?

Is it sexist when one of the number one rules on internet etiquette is called "Don't be a dick"? Is it sexist when it's acceptable to call someone a "dick" but not a "pussy" or a "cunt" in the context that either of these "slurs" imply the genitalia it describes is a Bad Thing? And on the bigger question, is it right if you defend its use by saying "dick" wasn't used to oppress an entire gender? (Historically "cunt" wasn't [nor is it] used to oppress an entire gender. Look it up.)

Apples

Post by Apples »

LeftSidePositive offering some measured criticism of Nugent and the 'Pit over at A+:
LSP wrote:I don't think that Michael's issue is an overabundance of charity, I think it is willful ignorance on his part. He has all the available evidence of how they have been treating us, he knows that they have been viciously harassing marginalized people in the movement, and he is falling for an abuser being charming to everyone except zir victim.
http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic ... 376#p76716

Amazing how quickly the creepy clown narrative ramps up: "Viciously harassing marginalized people in the movement."

One might be inclined to ask for links or citations that exemplify this, as Wonderist did over at Svan's today. Of course, you're liable to get Rorschach's reply:

"If you want links or quotes, there’s this thing called the internet. Feel free to use it."

Funny how that works.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Steersman wrote:
Jack: I've posted several responses to the opening statements and have received an e-mail response from the Moderation Team on one of them. I just responded by e-mail and just got back this error message:
The following message to <REDACTED> was undeliverable.
5.1.2 - Bad destination host 'DNS Hard Error looking up REDACTED (MX): NXDomain'
A problem on my end or something with e-mail addresses for the moderators? I'll probably pass this along to Michael as well, but I wonder, could you maybe look into it as well? Thanks.
Network problem, likely way beyond your control unless you're running your own network and mail servers at home, in which case this would likely not be Greek to you.
Last edited by Lsuoma on Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removing confidential addresses

clownshoe

Post by clownshoe »

Karmakin wrote:PZ is one of those bullies.
Considering the power imbalance, indeed.

Apples

Post by Apples »

Pitchguest wrote:I have a question for those that say "cunt" is sexist because it uses the female genitalia as a curse word and thus implies it's a bad thing: what about "dick"? "Prick"? "Cock"? Are these not slang for the penis used as curse words and thus make the implication it's a bad thing as well? What about "fuck" or "fucking"? "Fuck" is a slur, the worst slur, you can't say "fuck" on television. Isn't "fucking" also a good thing? Aren't "cunts" and "dicks"?

Is it sexist when one of the number one rules on internet etiquette is called "Don't be a dick"? Is it sexist when it's acceptable to call someone a "dick" but not a "pussy" or a "cunt" in the context that either of these "slurs" imply the genitalia it describes is a Bad Thing? And on the bigger question, is it right if you defend its use by saying "dick" wasn't used to oppress an entire gender? (Historically "cunt" wasn't [nor is it] used to oppress an entire gender. Look it up.)
Nahhh, don't bother looking it up. Just listen to Melody and LeftSidePositive. All women are marginalized because of Patriarchy, in America people have made women feel bad by calling them cunts, therefore it is an "oppressive epithet." Since men are privileged, "dick" is not oppressive. Simples.

JackSkeptic

Re:

Post by JackSkeptic »

Apples wrote:LeftSidePositive offering some measured criticism of Nugent and the 'Pit over at A+:
LSP wrote:I don't think that Michael's issue is an overabundance of charity, I think it is willful ignorance on his part. He has all the available evidence of how they have been treating us, he knows that they have been viciously harassing marginalized people in the movement, and he is falling for an abuser being charming to everyone except zir victim.
http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic ... 376#p76716

Amazing how quickly the creepy clown narrative ramps up: "Viciously harassing marginalized people in the movement."

One might be inclined to ask for links or citations that exemplify this, as Wonderist did over at Svan's today. Of course, you're liable to get Rorschach's reply:

"If you want links or quotes, there’s this thing called the internet. Feel free to use it."

Funny how that works.
It's so funny how they project their biases onto it without realising. They post like those conspiracy theory people where everything is not what it says and it's smothered in glaring multi coloured fonts.

Anyway it's not for people like that. Waste of time. As said earlier it's about informing people who have a genuine interest in considering what the truth is.

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ools-here/

Jeez, what a depressing bunch.

"I have never made an April Fool’s joke in my life, and this certainly isn’t one."

"I am glad to share this sentiment with you, PZ. I hate april-fools-gotcha jokes."

"I never could work out why April Fools day was such a big thing. It struck me too much as a bullying tactic. I’m glad to say I’ve never gone there."

"Never had the slightest use for April 1st idiocy."

"I hate April Fools’ Day. It’s a day for taking advantage of other people’s trust in order to make them feel stupid for your own sadistic amusement. No thanks."

"Thank you! Fuck I hate april fools."

"fuck this stupid day"

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

From what I've been able to glean, 'cunt' is bad because some American women on the internet think it's a slur against women in general. I'm not quite sure why these American women get to decide what women worldwide should consider a slur - but I'm pretty sure that cultural imperialism has nothing whatsoever to do with it, of course.

SUCOTI syndrome, I call it - Someone Uttered Cunt On The Internet. Oh noes!!!

nippletwister

Post by nippletwister »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
SurpriseGuest wrote:Is anyone else skeptical of PZ's claim that he was threatened with a rape accusation? I need more details such as who they were to him. Maybe he's just trying to put himself on Thibeault's level because of what he said about the person posting on his blog. Neither of them really act someone who was threatened first hand with a false rape accusation, especially Jason. If he only brought it up in a situation that would give him "Look at me! I was accused and I still support assuming a female is telling the truth!" points, I'll give his claim a second thought too. That, combined with how he thinks and acts on the subject of false rape accusations, would make him even more likely than PZ to be bullshitting. What sort of person is accused of it themselves and is still chill on the subject, going "Naw. That doesn't really happen. It's an MRA trope that MRAs are deliberately pushing with ill intent. It can't be due to people actually being accused of rapes they never did."
I have a hazy recollection of PZ writing something along those lines on Pharyngula in the distant past, pre-elevatorgate (PE).
In those days such a statement would not have been anything out of the ordinary - a simple data point regarding a rare instance of false accusation (the inference that the accusation was false coming from the fact that: A, No indictment occurred, and, B, someone who actually did commit a rape is probably unlikely to bring up the incident in conversation without very good reason.
I am certainly not a fan of the kind of presumtive dismissal of rape accusitions as being a priori false, that is becoming common in MRA activism.
In response to Sacha's question about evidence for the levels of false claims compared to unreported rapes, I think it is reasonable to use anonymous surveys and police data to try to get a handle on this. It is a difficult question and probably impossible to answer completely correctly but it should be possible to get some kind of generalized figure for the prevalence of each type of incident.
What was surprising for me is that both Lousy and Peezus have admitted to being falsely accused. As I said, I'm taking their word for it (and it almost goes without saying that they would not afford me the same assumption, it would be "Rapist!" - as Peezus proved with his kneejerk accusation regarding Ed Clint)
Perhaps this is just a statistical blip, but doesn't it strike anyone else as weird, that despite claims that false accusations of rape are so rare, two prominent FTB male feminists have been falsely accused?
I've never been accused of rape. I don't even know anyone who's ever been accused of rape. Perhaps it's something that men tend to keep quiet about,for valid reasons; someone may maliciously claim the accusation was not in fact false.
The reason why the whole situation is bizarre to me is that Lousy and Peezus are inadvertently providing evidence that false accusations are more prevalent than I previously assumed!

Anecdote.....I know three rape victims, one of them male. All of them were raped as adolescents, by molester relatives or neighbors. I also know one person who was falsely accused of rape, and another who was almost falsely accused, but the would be accuser decided to not "revoke consent" after the fact.

My own experiences, and the obvious manipulation of crime stats that I see done by supposedly pro-women orgs, tells me that the real story is quite likely different than the propaganda we see all the time. I have no idea what the real numbers are, and when it comes to non-reporting and false accusations, it is very hard to get any numbers at all, much less reliable numbers. But when I see feminist orgs claim that "false rape accusations never happen", or even claims that it is a tiny, rare, ignorable phenomenon, I know I can't trust them at all. My own experience simply doesn't match up, not even close.

Also anecdotal, I have never knowingly met a single victim of rape who didn't report the crime. All of the rape victims I know reported AND had successful prosecutions in their cases.
Of course, if I want to get along with internet feminists, I would have to assume that large numbers of my female friends have been raped as adults, but decided to never tell anyone, and somehow had more fear of reporting the crime than scared, impressionable kids did.

I see similar patterns of propaganda regarding domestic abuse, but at least there, there are some sources of data available, if you look for the ones that include male victims/female perps.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Lsuoma wrote:
Steersman wrote:
The following message to <REDACTED> was undeliverable.
5.1.2 - Bad destination host 'DNS Hard Error looking up REDACTED (MX): NXDomain'
Network problem, likely way beyond your control unless you're running your own network and mail servers at home, in which case this would likely not be Greek to you.
Thanks. But not running my own network, although it’s not totally Greek to me.

And thanks for removing the addresses ….

Apples

Post by Apples »

Metalogic42 wrote:http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ools-here/

Jeez, what a depressing bunch.

"I have never made an April Fool’s joke in my life, and this certainly isn’t one."

"I am glad to share this sentiment with you, PZ. I hate april-fools-gotcha jokes."

"I never could work out why April Fools day was such a big thing. It struck me too much as a bullying tactic. I’m glad to say I’ve never gone there."

"Never had the slightest use for April 1st idiocy."

"I hate April Fools’ Day. It’s a day for taking advantage of other people’s trust in order to make them feel stupid for your own sadistic amusement. No thanks."

"Thank you! Fuck I hate april fools."

"fuck this stupid day"
April Fool's jokes are vicious harassment and totes oppressive to people who are marginalized by their incredible narcissism and humorlessness.

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

Jan Steen wrote:
But what will happen to Nerd of Redhead when Pharyngula is forced to shut down? Is there such a thing as a retirement home for worthless orphaned bots?
Of course. Didn't you see A.I. ?

cunt

Post by cunt »

Pepsi wrote:It's not different. Surely people here have built up a rep in their eyes. The point of goading people into giving names is to take personal information that has nothing to do with knowing what we think or how we've been behaving, right? If they ride this train Zvan is providing, then it's no different from the pit's asking guests to put their usual pseudonym in. NOT going to work, Zvan. Nice try. They don't care about usernames you've been using, clearly, they want your personal life.
It's just a cheap little political trick they've found out about. The slymepit posters (in common with just about every forum out there) don't usually post under their real names (apart from the ones that do) because really they're harassing the FTB bloggers, and well.. how do you know they're harassing the FTB bloggers? They're not posting under their real names!! Obvious, isn't it.

The FTB commenters also use pseudonyms because, er, look over there.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Apples wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:I have a question for those that say "cunt" is sexist because it uses the female genitalia as a curse word and thus implies it's a bad thing: what about "dick"? "Prick"? "Cock"? Are these not slang for the penis used as curse words and thus make the implication it's a bad thing as well? What about "fuck" or "fucking"? "Fuck" is a slur, the worst slur, you can't say "fuck" on television. Isn't "fucking" also a good thing? Aren't "cunts" and "dicks"?

Nahhh, don't bother looking it up. Just listen to Melody and LeftSidePositive. All women are marginalized because of Patriarchy, in America people have made women feel bad by calling them cunts, therefore it is an "oppressive epithet." Since men are privileged, "dick" is not oppressive. Simples.
As they said anyone can use it except a white male. Racism and sexism in two words, impressive. Oh and as I happen to be born the UK I'm a 'colonialist' (in reference to Minchin I assume) So I am worth even less. That's hilarious coming from someone in the US and of course complete rubbish no matter where you are from. It's like calling all Germans Nazis just because. It's so ignorant and naive. Like little kids playing politics and getting it all wrong.

How do these people get into any position of influence without being laughed out of the room?

Pepsi

Post by Pepsi »

How have they been treated? Viciously harassed, huh? They always have to include that the pit sometimes goes where it isn't wanted. They can't say they're just being talked to viciously or talked about in a vicious manner because they know they are worse with the sort of things they say, epecially true of Pharyngula, where being as vicious as a knife is encouraged. They never own up to how they treat people here, saying wild, unwarranted things about their character and trying to be as mean as possible in telling people to fuck off, that they are shit that shouldn't be the planet, or awful people who are marginalizing them. Who has the power to do that here? I am very tired of them acting as if the pit is more vicious or conniving. The most vicious thing about the pit is that they aren't afraid to get under their skin by pointing out inconsisties in their little self narrations and other signs of dissonance. Deserved criticism.

Differentiating between cunt and dick, prick, cock as gendered insults implying a body part is bad is sexist in itself. They care about the fragile women and not men. There isnt anything to care about though. None of these words are used to call someone a body part. It simply wouldnt work, unless the user thinks dicks are gross or cunts are gross. In that case, their loss thinking certain body parts are gross, but that still isn't sexist. sexism has to target a sex itself. If one thinks breasts, vaginas, or penises are gross, they think they're gross on intersexed people as well, or hermaphrodites. The only thing that would be wrong is talking to someone about how disgusting you think their body is. They can't help what they're born with.

cunt

Post by cunt »

Tony Parsehole wrote:http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... 00x707.jpg
'FUCK THE POPE'
Yeah, well actually, living in the toilets is a real time-saver. Your concern is noted, though.

Pepsi

Post by Pepsi »

Why white males? I don't understand how being black allows you to oppress women with your mean old gendered words. Nor how being a woman excuses it. Racist and sexist, agreed.

Pepsi

Post by Pepsi »

Cunt, that won't fly. If people start nodding their heads in agreement to letting Zvan's pseudonym slide, point out the obvious: people here are using regular pseudonyms too. In order to be consistent, they should only point out people using a variety of names they havent gotten familiar with yet. Point still stands, it's about what is said and not where the person is or what their name is.

sacha

Post by sacha »

TheMan wrote:I'm a bit of a tight-arse when it comes to donating to orgs...but when I do I give to my local doggie rescue place.

Mine is.... http://www.doggierescue.com/

Monika does an amazing job....
wonderful!

cunt

Post by cunt »

You'd be surprised to what will fly with that crowd.

Apples

Post by Apples »

Pepsi is reminding me of Eucliwoo.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

ERV wrote:
codelette wrote:Sometimes I wonder if Hensley is just mocking the "poor little rich girl" meme. The other she was so sad over not being able to adopt a second pug...
Last week was bemoaning the fact 'things were tight' and she and her Cabbage Patch Doll husband couldnt afford to eat out every meal anymore. And they 'dont cook', so BAAAAAAAAAW.

But literally like two tweets earlier she was suggesting her friends get laser hair removal treatments because it worked GREAT for her (costs thousands of dollars).

She is so gross.
Oh FFS!

You can be lazy about it and still turn out great tasting meals with a rice cooker and a crock pot and at a fraction of the cost of eating out.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Apples wrote:Pepsi is reminding me of Eucliwoo.
That was my immediate impression too.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Are you saying that Pepsi...is not the real thing?

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Pitchguest wrote:
codelette wrote:
Jack wrote:

MZcWi6wEbG0/quote]

You went there? Fine, I am going to raise the ante with this:

[youtube]vUNFzsNdphQ[/youtube]

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

I think using the name Pepsi is a bit too on-the-ball for it to be Eucliwood.

jjbinx007

Post by jjbinx007 »

Lsuoma wrote:
Thirded.

clownshoe

Post by clownshoe »

jjbinx007 wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:
Thirded.
Hang on, I really need to be told about pseudonyms on the Internet... for the sixth time.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Steersman wrote:
Jack wrote:
Steersman wrote:
The following message to <> was undeliverable.
5.1.2 - Bad destination host 'DNS Hard Error looking up ****.com (MX): NXDomain'
Sure. I'll let Skeptickle know.
Thanks.

In passing though, I probably shouldn’t have posted that e-mail address – my bad. If Lsuoma wants to edit that out then I’m ok with that, and it might be a good idea to do so.
1) Steersman, check your PMs

2) Oops, the email address worked fine when the mods emailed to it :)

I'll let Michael know about the bounce-back, but it's past midnight in Ireland now.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Steersman wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:FWIW, my post at Lousy Canuck is still in moderation; mentioned here >24 hrs ago: viewtopic.php?p=80575#p80575

(I was replying to his OP, which quotes Steersman quoting me from here, and PZ's response #1 making assumptions about what I said & meant, apparently w/o going to read the cited post).
I think it was Strawkins who he was quoting, unless there's something I missed in skimming through the article ...
Yup, my bad. It was Strawkins.

Post by Guest »

AndrewV69 wrote:
ERV wrote:

She is so gross.
Oh FFS!

You can be lazy about it and still turn out great tasting meals with a rice cooker and a crock pot and at a fraction of the cost of eating out.
you can even do it while having a real job: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0740791427

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Wonderist wrote:[Post 13576]
...But I am always open to critique, positive or negative
Wonderist wrote:[Post 13579]
Michael K Gray wrote: ...Being polite did not work with cultish theists, (after a 4,500+ year trial), and I doubt that it will work with the FTB cultists whose behaviour I oppose.
I know, eh? :roll: It's so booorrring. So tedious. It kind of sucks the wind right out of the debate. When can we get the excitement and drama back?! This shit is seriously a drama killer!!!!1

... oh, wait. :think:
Wow. In consecutive posts you reveal yourself as a complete hypocrite.

Wonderist

Post by Wonderist »

rorschach/Wagner on ... something?: http://furiouspurpose.me/atheist-courty ... -gentiles/

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Tigzy wrote:So Melody and her Cabbage Patch Doll ( :lol: :lol: :lol: ) don't cook? WTF??

And this is someone who, presumably, has the gall to lecture others on 'privilege'.

I guess they must eat out at restaurants, get take-out or, if they're feeling really adventurous, pop a ready-meal in the microwave. Might explain Mel's size - as well as the illnesses she frequently complains about.

Seriously, if Melody's looking to get healthier, regularly cooking for herself is one of the best things she can do. Starting with the base ingredients from scratch will cut out a lot of the hidden fats and sugar she's liable to get from take-out, processed meals and certain restaurant fare (especially if it's a chain restaurant). If she can get her meats and vegetables as fresh as possible, then all the better.

Damn, she is one strange lady.
No fresh veggies? Just dump some mixed frozen veggies into a pot of hot water to thaw them out, drain while they are still crisp, dump some butter and the drained veggies back into the pot, mix them into the melted butter, sprinkle some black pepper over it and you are done.

debaser71

Post by debaser71 »

I've lived in places that didn't have a kitchen...but I guess I'm just a privileged cis white dude bro.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

AndrewV69 wrote: No fresh veggies? Just dump some mixed frozen veggies into a pot of hot water to thaw them out, drain while they are still crisp, dump some butter and the drained veggies back into the pot, mix them into the melted butter, sprinkle some black pepper over it and you are done.
Seriously, Melody and Simon should get an allotment. I admit it's kind of difficult to see Hensley shovelling out the compost, but I reckon it would do her the world of good. Fresh air, exercise, and fresh seasonal veggies all year round if she plants right. Though I don't believe they have allotments in the US, she and Si could probably make a fairly decent sized plot in their garden if they're earning enough to not have to cook.

Apples

my hyperimportant mangina is offended

Post by Apples »

Peezus picked up on a blogger who was criticizing him about his hating on Reddit and saying, perhaps stupidly, that if you are "offended by something on the Internet," you should just move on.

Fine - but what particularly offends PZ about this piece is the notion that he was "offended" by something on Reddit. PZ's post is titled, "Have you noticed that we're always getting offended.?" (Recall Zvan's bit this week in which she was offended by people suggesting she was offended by Atheist Alliance's tweet of vjack's harassment article.)

As Svan said in her post about the vjack kerfuffle: 'We described the post as wrong or bad, not “offensive”. We note that the content of the post has relevance for our situations. But when the time comes to characterize our response, we’re “offended” or “sensitive.”'

Anyway, Peezus wants to drive this point home: when he says something is bad - it's not because he was offended by it - it's because it was wrong. And, oddly enough, he doesn't even seem to mean morally or ethically wrong (which is, after all, what many people have in mind when they say something is "offensive") -- he means "wrong" in this sense:
Peezus wrote:Why do you assume I’m offended? Why don’t you recognize that I’m pointing out that something is wrong?

I’m waiting for a student to come in and complain that I took points off for an incorrect answer on an exam. “Why were you offended at my answer, Dr Myers?
That's right - if you do something PZ doesn't like, you are no different from a student who has gotten a wrong answer on an exam that he wrote. Because, after all, life, the Internet, and everything is nothing more than a test administered and graded by your Lord and Professor, PZ Myers.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... -offended/
http://www.freezepage.com/1364854531PTQALAACTU

sacha

Re: rape statistics

Post by sacha »

AnonymousCowherd wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:
sacha wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote: In response to Sacha's question about evidence for the levels of false claims compared to unreported rapes, I think it is reasonable to use anonymous surveys and police data to try to get a handle on this. It is a difficult question and probably impossible to answer completely correctly but it should be possible to get some kind of generalized figure for the prevalence of each type of incident.
I agree that may be the only way to even begin to have any idea of unreported cases, although I find it significantly flawed, and certainly not evidence

my questions were in regard to the declaration that "there is a large number of unreported cases than the other way around." stated as fact.

Anything I state as fact can easily be backed up with evidence, and if it turns out my evidence is flawed, I will be more than happy to withdraw my statement and give reasons for the withdrawal.

This is a sceptic/skeptic website and thread, after all.
I agree.
If anyone has a good data source, paper, survey result etc, that answers this question, could you link it here please.
FWIW.

The issue of the reporting of sexual assault is notoriously difficult to overcome. The best that anyone has come up with is the various Victims of Crime surveys conducted in various places. These vary in quality, but one of the best is done by the Australian Bureau of Statistics (one summary of "personal crimes" here This is a large survey, done by trained interviewers, who can (technically) get you fined if you refuse answer, so about as good as these things get. The take-away number is that 31% of sexual assaults (which includes male victims) are reported to Police.

Some objections are;
a) it only applies to Australia. But other juridictions show results in the same general range so, while there may be variation, there is no reason to dismiss the ABS result out of hand.
b) it underestimates the actual amount of sexual assualt because, although more likely to report to the interviewer, some people are still reluctant to report at all. This is likely true, but we can't estimate that number.
c) it conflates "sexual assault" with "rape". This is a problem if there are reporting differences between non-rape and rape assaults. Getting respondents to give details of their sexual assaults to an interviewer is not easy, to say the least, so we are unlikely to find out of there are such reporting differences. One difficulty is that after an "incident" occurs, one person may label that a sexual assault, another a rape, and (in theory) the law may disagree with both of them (and vice versa). Technically we can't talk about "unreported rape" (or any other offence) because no offence has been shown to be committed, we can only talk about "unreported incidents" and these may vary in interpretation.

Moreover, we don't really know that the character of the unreported incidents is the same as the reported ones. Radfems tend to assume that they are similar in there various statistical "posters", but there is little evidence of that beyond gross generalisations. If they aren't similar, then conclusions drawn about rape figures based on those reported to police don't generalise to the unreported ones (e.g. conviction rates may be very different for the two cases, even if they were suddenly all reported).

Whatever the actual figure for unreported "possible rape incidents", there is no survey that suggests that the majority of such incidents are reported to police (the closest is the US DOJ which seems to say about 46% are reported, but with a large relative standard error).

False reports, on the other hand, are (by definition) a subset of all reported incidents. To claim that there are more false reports than unreported incidents implies that the number of unreported incidents is less than the number of reported ones, even if every report is "false", which no-one accepts. The more reported incidents that are admitted as "not false", the lower the number of unreported cases there must be to keep them less than "false" reports and, therefore, the greater the ratio of reported to unreported incidents.

Or, in even less clear English, false reports can't outnumber unreported incidents unless the reporting rate is greater than 50+% and, if there are any true reports (which we assume), that number will be higher. So, for example, if there are 100 reports to police, but we think 50% are false, there can't be more than 49 unreported incidents, which implies a reporting rate of 100/(100+49) or about 67%. If the "false" report rate is 20%, then there can't be more than 19 unreported incidents, for a reporting rate of 100/(100+19) or about 84%, and so on. These figures are well outside any survey findings.

Even without knowing the actual false reporting rate, there is no empirical support for the idea that false reports can outnumber unreported incidents. The evidence doesn't conclusively prove that the idea is false, but the weight of evidence makes it very unlikely to be true.

There is more to all this, but surely that's enough!
well done. good work, Sherlock. That is the best response I've ever received on this subject.

As I've said the best way we currently have to determine the statistics is significantly flawed and at best a provisional conjecture.
There is a vast difference in numbers depending on who is conducting the survey, and the same people will respond differently when the question is worded another way. Rape statistics should not include inappropriate touch, sexual harassment, sexual assault without rape, and so on, but it almost always does.

In the western world there is far more of a stigma attached to a man reporting being a victim of rape, whether the offender was male, or female, and I absolutely believe there are huge numbers of unreported rapes when the victim is male. Prior to the change in perspective regarding a woman being raped, and the change in how she is treated when reporting it, which was 40 years ago, I would agree that there were far more unreported rapes against women. Perhaps much more than were reported at all.
Times have changed. In the present, in the western world, I'd rather be raped, than be a man accused of rape.

When flawed statistics are repeated as fact-based evidence, and no gender is specified, the assumption is a female victim, and a male offender, and it perpetuates the notion that women must be believed without any evidence, and that men should be condemned without evidence. That women are inherently "good" and men are inherently "evil".

It also leaves a door wide open with a welcome mat for malevolent, vindictive reporting of rape by women, against innocent men. This is not uncommon. The statistics do not include the reporting of rape, if the police find she is obviously lying, or if she recounts her accusation prior to a full report being made.

It also allows male victims of rape to be so marginalised as to almost not exist, which increases the unreported cases by a significant amount. What is being considered as "rape" against women, would never be taken seriously if a man were to report the same incident.

It does an enormous disservice to women who have truly been raped, and to men who have been raped when those statistics are not gender specified, and repeated as evidence-based fact. Rape is not a woman's issue. It is a human issue.

There is a considerable advantage to those who happen to have female genitalia, both as accuser and as potential victim, that advantage is maintained, supported, and defended by a good majority of women as well as men.

There is some bizarre code of Omerta among women. We all know how easily the current system can be used against innocent men, and we all know women who wouldn't hesitate to make false allegations against men who they felt scorned by.

The pussy pass has a massive amount of power, and very little responsibility.

I simply cannot let anyone perpetuate the inequity without speaking up.

For those of you who are new, I'm an attractive older woman who knows first hand just how easy it is to use that power, and I will continue to be a lifelong outspoken Gender Traitor until I'm dead.

sacha

Post by sacha »

BarnOwl wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:
sacha wrote:Slymepit fundraiser for Muttville Senior Dog Rescue
any amount will make a difference. please help them[/b]
Done.
I hope you lot feel guilty now.
You know how to assuage that feeling.
1) Get Drunk
2) Donate
Done as well, but it's 7:20 AM here, so no getting drunk.

Blueberry pancakes and espresso instead.

I'll finish knitting/crocheting three or four dog blankets and send them to Muttville in one package. My dogs will preferentially lie down on or curl up with hand-knit items, regardless of the yarn type.* Cats will do this too.

* Though I received some camel yarn last month as part of a natural fibers club, and the dogs went mad for it when I opened the package. If I knit the blanket pattern that came with the yarn, the dogs will never leave it alone.
Thank you Barn Owl!

I'm working on a new link for PayPal donations, and for the ability to donate any amount one chooses to. I will add the amount already raised to the totals of the new donation site. I apologise for the difficulty this has caused. I deliberately waited for the donation director to recommend a donation site, but apparently she does not have much experience with this sort of online fundraising. She is quite the expert on other ways of raising money, so I cannot disparage her. I'm disappointed in the stop of momentum this has caused, but I will have it sorted very soon. Thank you for your patience. The dogs thank you as well.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Over at Nugent's:
I wrote:Pitchguest April 1, 2013 at 10:38 pm
Your comment is awaiting moderation.

#258, #270 A Hermit:

No, I am not saying they’re comparable. I’m sure that would be considered a crime somewhere. I am saying they’re both *satirical.* You said your wife had to confiscate drawings by students used to mock other students. You said our approach was indistinguishable from a 9-year old schoolyard bully. Well, what do you think Gulliver’s Travels was? What do you think A Modest Proposal was? While “Peezus and O” pale in comparison to these masterpieces, they have one thing in common: mocking their opponents.

Jonathan Swift, one of a kind, constantly mocked his ideological opponents. In Gulliver’s Travels, he saved the queen of the Lilliputians (and their inhabitants) by “making water” (pissing) on them, and then taking a brief moment to describe the stench. (Possibly to further their humiliation.) He depicted the upper class most of all as villains, either as sophisticated narcissists who cared nothing for the struggles of man (horse-people in Gulliver), as unscrupulous and vicious (Lilliputians) or vile (the rich purchasing and eating the poor’s children).

In Gulliver, he even depicted how, given a bit of power, you become like them (like when Gulliver started calling humans ‘Yahoos’ after spending too much time with the horse-kind). Now don’t tell me none of that was supposed to mock his opponents but simply make a social commentary. It was meant to mock, plain and simple. Mocking, which you and your wife thinks is nigh indistinguishable from a schoolyard bully. Call it what you will. If “Peezus and O” is harassment, is hurtful, is schoolyard bullying, then so is Jonathan Swift.
http://www.michaelnugent.com/2013/03/26 ... ent-210894

sacha

Post by sacha »

Michael K Gray wrote:
BarnOwl wrote:Done as well, but it's 7:20 AM here, so no getting drunk.
Blueberry pancakes and espresso instead.
Wow! Another $50 bux.
Only (lemme see: 50+50=100. 5000-100=4900. 4900/50=98)
Erm, only 98 more donations to go!
Might we enlist (say) some rivalry between SP & FTB to see who is the most generous?
I know that FTB spies review these top secret blog posts, via the wizardry of Dr. Laden's sooper-sekret password skillz,
so:
What about it?
Think about the poor animules, eh?
I'm bribing MKG with my feminine ways. I'm just fine with using my pussy pass to help animals.

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

codelette wrote:
Jack wrote:

Pretty common phenomenon here in the good ol' USA. Excellent article describes it here (along with the tendency of Americans to be oh-so polite and not talk about it):

http://www.phillymag.com/articles/white-philly/

By the way, I'm in love:

http://i.imgur.com/btkS8Hh.jpg

Apples

Post by Apples »

Wonderist wrote:rorschach/Wagner on ... something?: http://furiouspurpose.me/atheist-courty ... -gentiles/
Rorschach wrote:Let’s bring together normal people and proponents of banning abortions. Or how about, normal people and those who think gays should be killed in Uganda. Or how about this one, normal people and those who think letting Blacks on the bus was a bad idea in the first place, let alone to allow them to sit down.
Yes - if you are not currently licking Stephanie Zvan's bum and loving it (which makes you "normal,") you might as well be 1) trying to ban abortions, 2) advocating the wholesale murder of gay people, and 3) trying to prevent black people from having access to public transportation. Brilliant.

That said, Wonderist - are you still trying to suggest Rorschach/furiouspurpose.me is Martin Wagner? Seems important to get this right.

cunt

Re: my hyperimportant mangina is offended

Post by cunt »

Apples wrote:Peezus picked up on a blogger who was criticizing him about his hating on Reddit and saying, perhaps stupidly, that if you are "offended by something on the Internet," you should just move on.

Fine - but what particularly offends PZ about this piece is the notion that he was "offended" by something on Reddit. PZ's post is titled, "Have you noticed that we're always getting offended.?" (Recall Zvan's bit this week in which she was offended by people suggesting she was offended by Atheist Alliance's tweet of vjack's harassment article.)

As Svan said in her post about the vjack kerfuffle: 'We described the post as wrong or bad, not “offensive”. We note that the content of the post has relevance for our situations. But when the time comes to characterize our response, we’re “offended” or “sensitive.”'

Anyway, Peezus wants to drive this point home: when he says something is bad - it's not because he was offended by it - it's because it was wrong. And, oddly enough, he doesn't even seem to mean morally or ethically wrong (which is, after all, what many people have in mind when they say something is "offensive") -- he means "wrong" in this sense:
Peezus wrote:Why do you assume I’m offended? Why don’t you recognize that I’m pointing out that something is wrong?

I’m waiting for a student to come in and complain that I took points off for an incorrect answer on an exam. “Why were you offended at my answer, Dr Myers?
That's right - if you do something PZ doesn't like, you are no different from a student who has gotten a wrong answer on an exam that he wrote. Because, after all, life, the Internet, and everything is nothing more than a test administered and graded by your Lord and Professor, PZ Myers.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... -offended/
http://www.freezepage.com/1364854531PTQALAACTU
I can't imagine why anybody would assume that Peezus and his commenters were offended...
Caine, Fleur du mal
29 March 2013 at 4:06 pm (UTC -5) Link to this comment
Lovely. Their version of Girls Gone Wild Good. It just never stops. Women, you are girls. Women, you must not be uppity. Women, if you have a brain, do not use in front of men. Women, remember your worth, tits or GTFO. Women, be decorative at all times – remember, your ability to cause boners is the most important quality you have, next to being a handy receptacle.
The Mellow Monkey
29 March 2013 at 4:35 pm (UTC -5)
So a good woman is…

A. Infantalized by the label “girl.”
B. Conventionally attractive and cheerfully topless.
C. And she does not offer her political opinions unless asked, presumably by a man who is allowed to share his political opinions prior to asking, because otherwise no one would ever talk about political opinions at all.

I need to go flail and punch a wall or something.
imkindaokay
29 March 2013 at 10:02 pm (UTC -5)
No, it is not. FFS, this post is not about this one “meme”
I agree that reddit should be moderated and that all subreddits that are actively offensive (eg mra) should be deleted.

robpowell
29 March 2013 at 11:58 pm (UTC -5) Link to this comment
John Morales

I think the quote from Melissa McEwan, slightly modified, fits here:

A PERSONS HUMANITY IS NOT A DEBATABLE ISSUE

Caine, Fleur du mal
30 March 2013 at 12:24 am (UTC -5) Link to this comment
subreddits dedicated to being offensive should be deleted.

Yes, yes. However, reddits which aren’t dedicated to being offensive are free to be as offensive as they like, after all, they aren’t totes dedicated to it.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Nerd of Redhead, the been-there-done-that, ultra-scientist-in residence at Meyers's blog, doesn't understand the meaning of "null hypothesis":
I’m still waiting for them to evidence that feminism is wrong, not just presuppose it ... you and the horde have shown evidence for the conclusion that the null hypothesis is that patriarchy exists, and male privilege exists

sacha

Post by sacha »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:I will donate soon. It's the end of the month in my hemisphere. Well, ok, here, "end of the month" starts around the 15th...
I know that may be difficult for you, and I would understand if you are unable to.

This is one of the reasons I am furious that Causes forces one to donate at least $10. I'm just beginning to recover financially from a few slow months, and I donate small amounts at a time. If everyone here donated $5, we would reach our goal easily.

cunt

Post by cunt »

justinvacula wrote:Richard Carrier's Atheism Plus speech has been uploaded to Youtube. I wonder, was the conference policy violated with this one? Lol. Anyway...I am listening now. This is such a great gift.

[youtube]au2i3xxgv7U[/youtube]
I watched the entire lot of that expecting a lulz pay-off to come at some point. There really isn't one. If you don't count Carrier's continual insistence that actually the atheism+ idea pisses rainbows, shits golden retriever puppies, and gives you a hand-job whenever it's bored. Sounds nice actually, until you remember that scratching the surface off, this is not at all what A+ currently is, and that Dr. Richard Carrier has done the square-root of precisely fuck all to actually build it into his utopian visions.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

sacha wrote: I'm bribing MKG with my feminine ways. I'm just fine with using my pussy pass to help animals.
http://lh3.ggpht.com/-8Q2jkYGNDN8/UVn02 ... ppydog.jpg

LMU

Post by LMU »

Parody Accountant wrote:Is there a running list of gaffes from the call-out culture? That 'rag-head' comment is pretty messed up. I'm aware of 'science it works bitches', and a few others. How long would a comprehensive list be though?
There is the Threat Displays thread that is a museum for some offensive comments.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Apples wrote:
Cerberus: Fucking Oppression, Man wrote:That’s because they want one true “movement” that they can use as a personal badge. Something that’s safely a “He Man Women Hater’s Club” and thus not tainted by non-white, non-normative, and/or female participants. Where, in fact, said minority members know better than to even try to belong if they aren’t spending the entire time praising the “real movement” for what intellectual dexterity it takes to not believe in things that those group members were not personally raised in.

Because, by having been at one time a white male dominated group, they invested in it as a source of alternative masculinity in the toxic masculinity sense. What I mean is that by the rules of toxic masculinity, this group was feeling pressure and reduction and so invested in atheism a sort of alternative way of separating themselves from femininity and arguing that belonging to this male-dominated group made them way smarter than everyone and totally manly because everyone knows that only men are smart and so on.

In other words, they’re having a tantrum because they were using atheism to try and go to toxic masculinity “hey, we might not be jocks, but we’re still willing to kick the women and hang out in homosocial-only spaces! So we still count as manly enough to be considered ‘men’, right?” and now there are all these chicks running around wanting to talk about girly shit and making them feel dumb and very similar to the people they were lording over because on certain issues they are almost exactly the same.
http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-594483

This. This. A thousand times - what?

EdgePenguin

Post by EdgePenguin »

cunt wrote:
justinvacula wrote:Richard Carrier's Atheism Plus speech has been uploaded to Youtube. I wonder, was the conference policy violated with this one? Lol. Anyway...I am listening now. This is such a great gift.

[youtube]au2i3xxgv7U[/youtube]
I watched the entire lot of that expecting a lulz pay-off to come at some point. There really isn't one. If you don't count Carrier's continual insistence that actually the atheism+ idea pisses rainbows, shits golden retriever puppies, and gives you a hand-job whenever it's bored. Sounds nice actually, until you remember that scratching the surface off, this is not at all what A+ currently is, and that Dr. Richard Carrier has done the square-root of precisely fuck all to actually build it into his utopian visions.
He is a joke. The way he idly skips from rape threats to looking through someones published online statements to find something to make fun of. Its the kind of bait-and-switch bullshit we have come to expect from these people; dishonestly moving the goalposts of a debate in order to make sure you can lump any dissenting voice in with the (ilkely rare) instances of genuine abuse.

I'm appalled that he still believes he owns some kind of moral high ground, after his initial Atheism+ blog post. It was shockingly totalitarian.

Apples

Post by Apples »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:Nerd of Redhead, the been-there-done-that, ultra-scientist-in residence at Meyers's blog, doesn't understand the meaning of "null hypothesis":
I’m still waiting for them to evidence that feminism is wrong, not just presuppose it ... you and the horde have shown evidence for the conclusion that the null hypothesis is that patriarchy exists, and male privilege exists
I've noticed this too. He's fucking demented. He's like a Christian claiming that the null hypothesis is that Jesus rose from the dead.