Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Old subthreads
SurpriseGuest

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Post by SurpriseGuest »

Hunt, I have to disagree with you there. People have been driven to suicide even when law enforcement did not just lock them away because someone accused them of rape, first of all. So no, I don't think it is right to presume people guilty of rape because someone said so. As for PZ, his personal policy would probably skip Jason Thibeault as an exception. As for me, a nice policy would be being polite when people claim it and keeping your skeptical to yourself in the event that its true. I would write something like, "yeah, in situations when" so I don't have to write as if I assume the person is telling the truth.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Guest wrote:apparently the pic source. not sure if anyone can translate the title text

http://ru-auto.livejournal.com/24147917.html

look at all the people enjoying the outdoors, and the freedom to do as they like and dress as they like among a host of others, of all generations!

but so much misogyny, cuz boobs!
I do declare. Get me to my couch. I'll be fine in a mome...

AnonymousCowherd

Post by AnonymousCowherd »

SurpriseGuest wrote:Wow. Generalizing reddit is like being nationalist to a small country. Or racist to a demographic of people. So many different, totally innocent of thisandthat people use the thing. Shame on PZ Myers. Grabbing the first photo he can and saying its widespread on Reddit.
No doubt all in support of Watson's latest attempt to get her name up in lights by accusing Reddit of "sexism". She must be spitting chips that everyone else is getting more attention than her at the minute. Cue Watson's lap dog to provide "evidence".

LurkerPerson

Post by LurkerPerson »

Hunt wrote:
Skep tickle wrote: People (like me) who get concerned about trends like this hypothesize about what might happen IF the Steubenville boys <i>were</i> innocent and had to deal with a process like that.
There's no real need to hypothesize, weren't the Duke "rapists" exactly in this situation, of being convicted in the court of public opinion before their case ever went to trial?

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

SurpriseGuest wrote:Hunt, I have to disagree with you there. People have been driven to suicide even when law enforcement did not just lock them away because someone accused them of rape, first of all. So no, I don't think it is right to presume people guilty of rape because someone said so. As for PZ, his personal policy would probably skip Jason Thibeault as an exception. As for me, a nice policy would be being polite when people claim it and keeping your skeptical to yourself in the event that its true. I would write something like, "yeah, in situations when" so I don't have to write as if I assume the person is telling the truth.
Sorry if I'm misunderstanding your response, but what I meant was that it's PZ's right to set his own policy, while law enforcement must always presume innocence. However, thinking about it again, I think I'm being too nice to PZ's position. Let's say we had a town filled with people who presumes John Doe raped someone just on the testimony of his accuser, while the police maintain total neutrality pending investigation. That could still cause extraordinary stress on John Doe even though he is still officially presumed innocent. It's possible that this situation could cause John Doe to commit suicide, which I think is your point. So PZ's position appears to be morally problematic.

Where there's an absence of any suspect, though, I don't see any reason not to accept a rape or harassment victim's testimony, though this does create the odd contingency where if a suspect suddenly appears, we would need to presume his innocence, which entails suspending our belief in the victim's testimony.

SurpriseGuest

Post by SurpriseGuest »

Haha. My way is less problematic. Cant go wrong with mine.

Apples

Post by Apples »

Fidalgo has a post up about the ephemerality of blogposts and how sad it is there's no way to separate the wheat from the chaff:
Paul Fidalgo wrote:I think about this a lot: How even the best pieces of prose, just because they happen to be placed in a format called “blog,” lose so much of their perceived value mere hours after they’re posted. We need more ways of sifting the evergreen, quality material from the cloud of fleeting stuff.
http://freethoughtblogs.com/nearearthob ... ty-or-not/

Well, there's this thing called Reddit ...... never mind.

TheMan

Re: get some

Post by TheMan »

Oh well....something to read when I wake up Monday morning.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Bhurzum wrote:
This was almost responsible for a full rectal prolapse.

My GF, after enduring nearly five minutes of my cackling, called me a "dickhead" before flouncing off to buy coffee in our local Starbucks. I've got no idea why but this cartoon really hit my funny-button.

You've got to do more of these!
Keep watching this space. But I would hate to be the cause of deep rifts between you and you GF.

As usual, I will be mirroring my posts on the Baboonapalooza thread, starting here: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=10&start=225#p80245

Apples

Post by Apples »

JAB wrote:I hope all the mods at Atheism plus have their knives sharpened... Carrier's talk might send some fresh meat for them to slay. I think the new folks might be in for a surprise if they believed the talk.
Good point. Setar has already Tweeted that he's uncomfortable with Carrier's talking about this, since he's not an active participant in A+ at all. The only reason there has been relatively little batshit insanity at that place lately is that the flow of newbies has slowed to a trickle and so much is presumably happening behind closed doors in the secret forums. If Carrier's advertising produces a new wave of members, you can bet the Asshole Mods thread will get busy in a hurry.

AnonymousCowherd

Post by AnonymousCowherd »

There is no good for the legal system to deal with rape cases, but there are lots of bad ones. One of the worst would be to reverse the assumption of innocence. Combine that with an ever expanding definition of what constitutes "rape" and you have the potential for all kinds of Stalinist-like "purges". Like those kids in "The Killing Fields", you just have to denounce an annoying adult, and they get taken away and never annoy you again. In the beginning at least, the Commissars never think that they will be the subject of the purge and, in any case, they are afraid to oppose it in case they are thought to be supporting the crime-of-the-day. And the presumption of guilt won't stop with sexual assault cases. If rape is bad, terrorism must be worse, yes? - or are you supporting terrorism? Now the State can put you away and you have to prove you're innocent to get out, and good luck with that.

For those trying to deal with the practical realities of sexual assualt cases, it is never easy, or as simple as the SJWs make out. Unless, of course, the SJWs don't bother to try and just demand the equivalent of the blue plastic bag over the accused's head and a bullet in the neck if you're lucky, no arguments. In the real world outside the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone Safe Place, setting any policy that is too rigid will result in injustices, on top of those that occur by accident, bad luck, poor decisions, and so on. There is simply no way to eliminate injustice in the system, you can only hope to minimise it. With rape, wherever you set the criterion for assuming guilt or otherwise, there will always be good old Type I and Type II errors and, given the hidden nature of most actual rapes, we don't know the distribution of the types of cases and so can't really tell how changing a criterion will affect the numbers of people affected differently i.e. if it has reduced the overall level of injustice. All we can do is muddle through case by case, hope that the officials are competent and honest, and that juries can tell who's telling the truth.

To that end, keeping cases out of the media when they are before the Courts is a good idea (though not popular in the US, I gather). Even if the Court resists the temptation to judge based on media outrage, if they decide the "wrong" way, it just brings the Courts into disrepute in that same media and hence the public.

LMU

Post by LMU »

Apples wrote:
JAB wrote:I hope all the mods at Atheism plus have their knives sharpened... Carrier's talk might send some fresh meat for them to slay. I think the new folks might be in for a surprise if they believed the talk.
Good point. Setar has already Tweeted that he's uncomfortable with Carrier's talking about this, since he's not an active participant in A+ at all. The only reason there has been relatively little batshit insanity at that place lately is that the flow of newbies has slowed to a trickle and so much is presumably happening behind closed doors in the secret forums. If Carrier's advertising produces a new wave of members, you can bet the Asshole Mods thread will get busy in a hurry.
Indeed :popcorn:

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

Hunt wrote: Sorry if I'm misunderstanding your response, but what I meant was that it's PZ's right to set his own policy, while law enforcement must always presume innocence. However, thinking about it again, I think I'm being too nice to PZ's position. Let's say we had a town filled with people who presumes John Doe raped someone just on the testimony of his accuser, while the police maintain total neutrality pending investigation. That could still cause extraordinary stress on John Doe even though he is still officially presumed innocent. It's possible that this situation could cause John Doe to commit suicide, which I think is your point. So PZ's position appears to be morally problematic.

Where there's an absence of any suspect, though, I don't see any reason not to accept a rape or harassment victim's testimony, though this does create the odd contingency where if a suspect suddenly appears, we would need to presume his innocence, which entails suspending our belief in the victim's testimony.
My problem with his Peezusness' accepting of women's personal testimony is that it is preferred (privileged) over the personal testimony of men. Logically if we accept the position that a person's personal testimony must be accepted at face value, then the testimony by a man that the sex was consensual must also be accepted at face value. (It's about equality, right?) Tell Jason Thibault that the testimony of the woman who falsely accused him must be accepted as truth.

This is why we don't accept personal testimony of the experience of God by the theists. That's why the police investigate and seek evidence. Personal testimony is a form of evidence in court, but it is generally less compelling than physical evidence. Indeed, in the case of he said/she said, how is truth determined?

His high holiness Peezus would have the presumption of whatever the woman says is true and can only be negated by a positive defense (presumed guilty until proven innocent).

I had a false DV claim against me, so it's not too much of a stretch to believe false rape accusations occur as well.

My false DV vid in case you haven't heard the tale:

[youtube]fAalF_nweDc[/youtube]

Reap

Post by Reap »

John Greg wrote:Jason Thibeault, aka, LousyCanuck, is (aside from Laden), the most toxic, vapid, and morally / ethically bankrupt piece of pseudomorphic, animatronic garbage that you can find on the 'net.

He is a totally, completely, inarguabley worthless piece of recycled dog's vomit.

Seriously he is, ugh, just, well, uhgh ... / puke / vomit / projectile shit-spew ....

I think the most, erm, resonant thing to say about that piece of leftover garbage that the garbge people left behind on the curb, is that he really and truly wants to be Greg Laden. Ya. I think that says it all. I mean, fuck me, he is even moving down there to be with his sociopathic buddies, Laden, Zvan, Myers, etc.

Ugh.
second that

Reap

Post by Reap »

Hey PZ Myers you fucking inept dick, what about when this happens?
http://www.ksbw.com/news/central-califo ... index.html

Just glad she didn't try to pin it on anyone. It's bad enough the irresponsibility and disrespect she has already displayed.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Guest wrote:apparently the pic source. not sure if anyone can translate the title text

http://ru-auto.livejournal.com/24147917.html

look at all the people enjoying the outdoors, and the freedom to do as they like and dress as they like among a host of others, of all generations!

but so much misogyny, cuz boobs!
What a pleasant collection of tittie pics.

SurpriseGuest

Post by SurpriseGuest »

Amen, Submariner. But what I thought you were going to say was that PZ wouldnt accept the testimony of men who claimed abuse. I think this is also pretty accurate... Its only about women over there. Surely, he doesnt care about men claiming abuse. An interesting scenario would be if a woman claims rape and the man does too.

DV cases can be pretty bad. Someone I know of was severely abused by his ex wife and treated like shit by the system. Somehow HE got in trouble twice and he hardly fought back.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Reap wrote:Hey PZ Myers you fucking inept dick, what about when this happens?

Just glad she didn't try to pin it on anyone. It's bad enough the irresponsibility and disrespect she has already displayed.
Not helping. We know that false positives exist and that any system will be abused. However, there is a large number of unreported cases than the other way around.

comslave

Post by comslave »

Remick wrote:Great video response to Anita's terrible damsels in distress video.

Here.

[youtube]HJihi5rB_Ek[/youtube]

The point of Anita's video game series is to simply beat up on men by taking something identified with men and trashing it. There isn't going to be any integrity out of her series. it's just going to be a bitchfest.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Nerd of Redhead’s monotonous drivel even starts to irritate his fellow zealots:
Beatrice (looking for a happy thought)
26 March 2013 at 1:29 am (UTC -5) Link to this comment

Confession:
Nerd’s “who cares about your OPINION” “that is just your opinion *floosh*” and all the varieties are kinda annoying.
Sorry, Nerd of Redhead!
(I’m skimming the Ars Techinca thread, and I noticed I’ve started skipping Nerd’s comments since they are same old same old anyway. Sorry, Nerd!)
http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-589257

Since this is a regular, Nerd can’t very well respond by *flooshing* this OPINION down the sewer. So he writes as follows:
Beatrice, The guy was a serial poster essentially not reading or comprehending the arguments against him. He thought by being extra slippery and extra stubborn he would win the argument. So, I just made sure anybody reading the thread would understand he wasn’t saying anything backed up by facts, just throwing out shit and arguments at random to keep talking, hoping something would stick. The fact that I kept dismissing what he said was a big insult. His poor ego deflates when he isn’t taken seriously.
http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-589361

Not a convincing defence, as the Nerd always treats both serial and non-serial posters in his inimitable stereotypical fashion (He is anything but inimitable, in fact. If he wanted to take a break, any number of people could replace him and nobody would be able to tell the difference).

Another critic:
Azkyroth Drinked the Grammar Too :)
29 March 2013 at 9:43 pm (UTC -5) Link to this comment

Thoughtcrime, I see what you’re saying. Please understand that people here have dealt with a LOT of the “no true _”/”it’s not ALL bad” stuff, and also a lot of the “I’m not a _ but…” stuff. Also, Nerd, despite other good traits, has this weird fetish for selectively and summarily dismissing certain statements as “OPINION” and therefore worthless because…well, just because. I guess it’s his opinion. Don’t read too much into it.
http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-593039

Apart from one commenter weakly defending NoR by pointing out that his adversary was being repetitive too, nobody rushes in to offer safe hugs to the Nerd for being so painfully stabbed in the back. Nobody likes the guy, but he is part of the furniture. He's like a hideous, cracked leather sofa that is too big to be easily disposed of.

This concludes my fieldwork in Pharyngula territory for today. It always feels like visiting a parallel universe, but to me that is part of the fascination of it. Apart from the lulz, of course.

cunt

Post by cunt »

What are Nerd Of Redheads "other good traits"?

cunt

Post by cunt »

Reddit posted a pic of a topless girl and now i'm mad about it.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

PZ's idea of always accepting the testimony of women makes me think of George Nouri, who stated that since he's heard so many things from people during his radio show that he was going to believe everything they tell him unless it is proven false. They share the same lack of skepticism.

cunt

Post by cunt »

It's weird that the legal system doesn't work the complete opposite way round in this one specific type of case, whats more, it's evidence of the patriarchy.

cunt

Post by cunt »

It's weird that the legal system doesn't work the complete opposite way round in this one specific type of case, whats more, it's evidence of the patriarchy.

cunt

Post by cunt »

*farts*

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

cunt wrote:What are Nerd Of Redheads "other good traits"?
Maybe his unquestionable and unquestioning loyalty to PZ Myers. No dog has ever been more loyal to its master. At one point, when PeeZus messed up on something or other (I think it was in the gravity light thread, but I can't be bothered to look it up now), the Nerd suggested that his idol sometimes makes 'mistakes' deliberately, in order to stimulate discussions. In the eyes of Nerd of Redhead, PZ can do nothing wrong.

I suppose some would consider that a good trait.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Nerd: PeeZus loves you. Everybody else thinks you're a cunt.

debaser71

Post by debaser71 »

comslave wrote:
Remick wrote:Great video response to Anita's terrible damsels in distress video.

Here.

[youtube]HJihi5rB_Ek[/youtube]

The point of Anita's video game series is to simply beat up on men by taking something identified with men and trashing it. There isn't going to be any integrity out of her series. it's just going to be a bitchfest.
Masculinity is hegemonic and toxic. Also men, deep down inside, want to wear tutus, sing, dance, sew, and talk about their feelings.

Yeah, I was surprised too.

And like I don't prance around my house singing like a goofball...(if you have kids, this will make sense)

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Lsuoma wrote:Nerd: PeeZus loves you. Everybody else thinks you're a cunt.
He loves PeeZus alright. Whether it's reciprocal only PeeZus knows.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Ya know, I love my running club and there's no way I would run 10Ks and train for half-marathons without their support, but I really could do without the bible quotes in the newsletters.

They're really kind and inspiring people on the whole, they have lots of great training and race advice, and running is the only thing that has reliably moved excess weight off my middle-aged body, so I think I'm just going to have to suck it up with regards to the bible quotes.

UGH, though.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Jan Steen wrote:Nerd of Redhead’s monotonous drivel even starts to irritate his fellow zealots: [...] This concludes my fieldwork in Pharyngula territory for today. It always feels like visiting a parallel universe, but to me that is part of the fascination of it. Apart from the lulz, of course.
Oh noes! First Joe, now Nerd? Is this is turning into another Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones)?
http://i.imgur.com/hyOZARA.jpg
It really is a strange parallel universe.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

:lol:

I'm glad I'd swallowed my sip of espresso when I saw that.

Punch and Judy kind of creep me out, though - like clowns.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

BarnOwl wrote:
I detest clowns. In the museum of modern art in Amsterdam (the Stedelijk Museum) there used to be a video installation called 'Clown Torture'. That had my full approval.

What is creepier than an ordinary clown? A picture of serial killer John Wayne Gacy dressed up as a clown.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Jan Steen wrote:
BarnOwl wrote:
I detest clowns. In the museum of modern art in Amsterdam (the Stedelijk Museum) there used to be a video installation called 'Clown Torture'. That had my full approval.

What is creepier than an ordinary clown? A picture of serial killer John Wayne Gacy dressed up as a clown.
TRIGGER WARNING: Shriner clowns in hover-cars.

[youtube]5-JFZ3PYX6o[/youtube]

Nightmare-inducing.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

John Greg wrote:Skep Tickle said:
I was tempted to ask during Q&A whether he thought that we should also accept other "personal testimony", for example that of theists, but that seemed low priority in the scheme of things.
Tempted.

You were tempted.

How nice for you.

Skep Tickle, I have a lot of respect for everything you have said here at the Pit, over time, but my unavoidable response to that statement is:

If you were tempted to ask such a question, of the Lord PeeZus of the Church of Deceit ... WHY THE FUCK DIDN'T YOU!!??!!

One of the biggest problems in regards to dealing with these fucking idiots is that nobody ever seems to stand up and point out the bullshit, especially during public yadda yas, with profound, meaningfull questions.

GRR.
Hee hee. Because I asked him OTHER questions instead, ones to which his answers were (IMO) more illuminating than his probable non-answer to that one would have been. I gotta run right now, will tell more later, sure go ahead & call me a tease :D

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Michael K Gray wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:As for Peezus' move towards Shakesville territory, I wonder if he should follow the logic of his words and immediately suspend one of his fellow FTB bloggers, Jason Terrible.
Jason admits to being accused of rape.
Yet, surely by Peezus rules Jason should never use the term "false".
He should "accept the personal testimony" of the woman that accused him.
Any other response is simply promoting rape culture.
http://i.imgur.com/0KcgVVM.png
HYPOCRISY, Thy name is FTB
Correction: The quoted material above is from Dick Strawkins, not me. My portion in the embed was edited out but my 'nym remained clinging to it.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

LurkerPerson wrote:
Hunt wrote:
Skep tickle wrote: People (like me) who get concerned about trends like this hypothesize about what might happen IF the Steubenville boys <i>were</i> innocent and had to deal with a process like that.
There's no real need to hypothesize, weren't the Duke "rapists" exactly in this situation, of being convicted in the court of public opinion before their case ever went to trial?
Correction, the quote above is by Hunt, not me. Here, too, the quote edit left my name dangling above something someone else said.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

It's quite strange that there are many pictures on #aacon13 consider American Atheists' conference policy stipulates that cell phones and electronic devices be turned off during conference sessions.
Please respect the sessions and the speakers. Turn off cell phones and other electronic devices, take conversations and noisy children outside the session room, and move to the center of your row to make room for other attendees.
Ridiculous policies are ridiculous. I suppose they'll only be enforced when people feel like it, huh?

Wonderist

Post by Wonderist »

AnonymousCowherd wrote:There is no good for the legal system to deal with rape cases, but there are lots of bad ones. One of the worst would be to reverse the assumption of innocence. Combine that with an ever expanding definition of what constitutes "rape" and you have the potential for all kinds of Stalinist-like "purges". Like those kids in "The Killing Fields", you just have to denounce an annoying adult, and they get taken away and never annoy you again. In the beginning at least, the Commissars never think that they will be the subject of the purge and, in any case, they are afraid to oppose it in case they are thought to be supporting the crime-of-the-day. And the presumption of guilt won't stop with sexual assault cases. If rape is bad, terrorism must be worse, yes? - or are you supporting terrorism? Now the State can put you away and you have to prove you're innocent to get out, and good luck with that.
Also known as a witch hunt: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witch-hunt
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... Hanged.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... kiana5.jpg
Hard to believe, but this is what can happen when unskeptical people believe irrational dogmas of demonization of other people. Still fucking happening today:
http://www.newstimeafrica.com/wp-conten ... n-Fire.jpg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_4IbcBowGZfU/T ... -large.jpg
http://akorra.com/wp-content/uploads/20 ... Africa.jpg
This is what can happen when people are presumed guilty.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/03/1 ... 76452.html
http://akorra.com/2012/03/04/top-10-wit ... n-history/
http://themoralskeptic.blogspot.ca/2010 ... frica.html
http://www.newstimeafrica.com/archives/9767
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 42907.html
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2007/de ... heobserver

Please watch this video: http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/video/2007/dec/09/video
Thankfully, we live in a society where such violence is very difficult to perpetrate. But the thought process is the same.

LMU

Post by LMU »

Aneris wrote:

Not helping. We know that false positives exist and that any system will be abused. However, there is a large number of unreported cases than the other way around.
Do you mean that the number of unreported rapes is larger than the number of false accusations? How would we know that? How do we have figures on either number?

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Jan Steen wrote:
BarnOwl wrote:

http://murderpedia.org/male.G/images/g/gacy/gacy350.jpg

It's like Pennywise, ain't it.

cunt

Post by cunt »

Jan Steen wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:Nerd: PeeZus loves you. Everybody else thinks you're a cunt.
He loves PeeZus alright. Whether it's reciprocal only PeeZus knows.
Nah, all those countless hours of adoration and brain-dead loyalty are really worth nothing. Peezus would ban the stupid twat the moment he stepped out of line.

LMU

Post by LMU »

Hunt wrote:--snipped--

Even in the absence of a suspect you should be skeptical. Just like you shouldn't defame someone just because they use a pseudonym. Sure the slurs might never get attached to the real person, but if they are ever doxxed then suddenly you have been libeling a named person (and that's ignoring any positive reputation they have with their pseudonym). That is why I don't find OB's complaint about her opponents being pseudonymous to be very significant. Having a pen-name can be a little protection, but it is not a huge amount and it can be compromised. It's why I thought so much less of PZ after he referred to Thunderf00t's real name during their disagreement. I doubt Thunderf00t cared, but to everyone who prefers a pseudonym, it was a threat. It was PZ's way of indicating "I am unethical and don't care if I hurt you."

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p60 ... 480cdd.png

They're determined to force this duplicitous narrative of pervasive harassment from other atheists. Atheist men harassing atheist women in online forums - that's the only "context" they seem to care about. Even if it were true, it's such a ridiculous first world problem that anyone truly concerned about social justice should be embarrassed to keep obsessing over it.

cunt

Post by cunt »

We have to make it socially expensive? Ok how?

Errr.. Ummmm... Think of the children!!!

Reap

Post by Reap »

Aneris wrote:

Exactly. This kind of behavior, (even though I know it is going to happen and the reasons for it) pisses me off cause it does harm on so many levels. Besides that can you imagine the way the conversation about the craigslist add would have went? Insane shit

cunt

Post by cunt »

AtheistCon 2013

Atheist1: We should do something
Atheist2: Yes, you're totally right. By noticing that we should do something we are good people.
Atheist1: Good people indeed.
Atheist2: We are great people.
Atheist1: Yes we are.

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

BarnOwl wrote:
They're determined to force this duplicitous narrative of pervasive harassment from other atheists. Atheist men harassing atheist women in online forums - that's the only "context" they seem to care about. Even if it were true, it's such a ridiculous first world problem that anyone truly concerned about social justice should be embarrassed to keep obsessing over it.
Yes, please show me some of this "harassment". You know, the kind you don't have to actively search for, and/or that meets the legal definition of harassment.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

cunt wrote:We have to make it socially expensive? Ok how?

Yeah, how's that going to work, exactly? Do they expect to have the ability to ban and censor "harassers" outside of their own blogs and conferences? I don't comment at FtB, and I don't attend A/S meetings, so what are they going to do, take away my internetz?

Apples

Post by Apples »

BarnOwl wrote:

Yeah, how's that going to work, exactly? Do they expect to have the ability to ban and censor "harassers" outside of their own blogs and conferences? I don't comment at FtB, and I don't attend A/S meetings, so what are they going to do, take away my internetz?
If they could find a way, they would.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

And I still want to know why it hasn't been made "socially expensive" for the serial groper to physically harass women at London Skeptics meetings. Does it not count because it's not happening on an online forum?

cunt

Post by cunt »

BarnOwl wrote:

I don't know, but i'm sure it'll involve congratulating themselves for attending an event. This is crucial.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

cunt wrote: I don't know, but i'm sure it'll involve congratulating themselves for attending an event. This is crucial.
::imagines OB bouncing up and down in her seat, vigorously applauding the "socially expensive" line::

::is put off eating lunch::

cunt

Post by cunt »

BarnOwl wrote:
cunt wrote: I don't know, but i'm sure it'll involve congratulating themselves for attending an event. This is crucial.
::imagines OB bouncing up and down in her seat, vigorously applauding the "socially expensive" line::
Yes, yes, this. So much this.

cunt

Post by cunt »

Socially expensive implies that you put value what other people think. What if you think they're retards?

16bitheretic

Post by 16bitheretic »

BarnOwl wrote:Ya know, I love my running club and there's no way I would run 10Ks and train for half-marathons without their support, but I really could do without the bible quotes in the newsletters.

They're really kind and inspiring people on the whole, they have lots of great training and race advice, and running is the only thing that has reliably moved excess weight off my middle-aged body, so I think I'm just going to have to suck it up with regards to the bible quotes.

UGH, though.
I could see Bible quotes inspiring alot of running. You have to roleplay a bit though.

Scenario 1: you are a citizen of Sodom and/or Gomorrah and Yahweh is pissed, you see fire building in the sky..

Scenario 2: You were left out of the crazy old man's boat and you see the rain falling. There's a mountain ahead of you...

Scenario 3: You are an Amalekite and the Israelites are on their way....

Apples

shit just got real over at Tibbydoo's

Post by Apples »