Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads
Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Abbe Smith's blog, ERV: you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.
Ok! That's it! I'm going for a John Williams rampage!

Well played Lsuoma! Hope you're proud of yourself.

Post by Guest »

I remember Ed coming into one of thunderf00ts comment threads (on his wordpress blog) and them having a back and forth about the revenues from ftb. Ed already said he pays out one month after for some reason. I can't remember whether he said that would include July or not.

I'd look it up but i've got revision to do.

tachikoma

Post by tachikoma »

...the FtB & Skepchicks crew are the bedrock of the movement, the conventions and conferences. If FtB and Skepchicks got dumped, the only person they really have is Abbe(sic).
lolwut

mordacious1

Scum

Post by mordacious1 »

Lsuoma wrote:
Abbe Smith's blog, ERV: you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.
Well, I do sometimes question any blog that allows me to post. [/sarcasm]

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Guest wrote:I think it's pretty clear that "Ed" wasn't going to pay him from the time his accounts were hidden. When Loftus left, his threads disappeared. Thunderf00t's remained and they actively discussed not paying him for them even though they knew he was getting hits.
Laden's appear to have gone as well. Makes it all the more clearer why they left Tf00t's threads there - not to show what an 'ass' he is, but because there was some sweet milkin' in them thar blog hits.

Interesting exchange between Tf00t and Ed earlier, in July:
Ed Brayton Says:
July 13, 2012 at 3:05 pm | Reply

Freethought Blogs averages more than 200,000 pageviews per day and about 27% of our readers use ad blockers. We have 5 ads on the page, but an advertiser isn’t going to take out all 5 ads, they’re going to take out one ad — thus the 150,000 impressions per day figure.

As for you getting paid, did you expect that this would happen on a daily basis? I don’t get paid by the ad networks for 30-60 days after the end of each month, so I pay revenue out to the bloggers on that schedule. June’s revenue sharing will be paid out at the end of August and you will be paid then for your share of the totals. You really should correct the clearly false implications that we have not paid you as promised; you will be paid when everyone else gets paid.
Thunderf00t Says:
July 13, 2012 at 3:21 pm | Reply

my god Ed… it’s only been posted 30 mins or so ago, and you’ve already found it and commented on it. Don’t any of you guys have day jobs?

But sure I didn’t expect you to pay me. Someone acting in good faith doesn’t go back on their word as soon as its not convenient. Why should I expect him to keep his word about paying me? Further no mention was made of the obvious loose end in any of the correspondence.

But really Ed, you can breathe easy, I’ve got no real interest in the money. It just says something about the integrity of the people you are dealing with. Give the money to charity.
http://thunderf00tdotorg.wordpress.com/ ... -pc-lyers/

So even then, Tf00t was saying that they should give the money to charity. I'm guessing Brayton must have forgot, since there was no mention of giving Tf00t's share to charity in this latest snippet (unless, of course, Tf00t was quote-mining). Why Ed should be so cavalier on the question of Tf00t's revenue is quite beyond me - especially as PZ, in a post above here, states that Tf00t will be getting his due cash; which leads me to believe that they have to pay Tf00t, as he retains copyright on those FTB blog posts.

Or did PZ mean payments owed only until early July...?

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

tachikoma wrote:
...the FtB & Skepchicks crew are the bedrock of the movement, the conventions and conferences. If FtB and Skepchicks got dumped, the only person they really have is Abbe(sic).
lolwut
Was hoping someone would notice that.

The conceit is amazing.

sacha

bedrock

Post by sacha »

"...the FtB & Skepchicks crew are the bedrock of the movement, the conventions and conferences. If FtB and Skepchicks got dumped, the only person they really have is Abbe..."
just wanted to highlight this again.

Wow, Abbie, you are a one-woman-show! There is no such thing as atheism or scepticism without you.

Phil, sorry to repeat the "blocking" response.

masakari2012

Post by masakari2012 »

"they claim to be supporting atheism, but I ever see them show up to insult and slander Rebecca, PZ and FtB...." (blahblahblah).....

I'm sure most of us do "support atheism" (to use that person's words).... or should drop the isms and just say that we argue against religion and dogma. But this forum is mostly for arguing against FFTB and Skepchick. And here in this forum, we ARE arguing against dogma :D

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:I remember Ed coming into one of thunderf00ts comment threads (on his wordpress blog) and them having a back and forth about the revenues from ftb. Ed already said he pays out one month after for some reason. I can't remember whether he said that would include July or not.

I'd look it up but i've got revision to do.
He said he'd pay him through June: http://thunderf00tdotorg.wordpress.com/ ... mment-4052

http://thunderf00tdotorg.wordpress.com/ ... mment-4049

Nobody mentioned that they'd be keeping his posts up-- but hidden. Others (such as Loftus) had their posts gone after they left. Maybe leaving up his blog is what allowed him the ability to log back in.

You can still click on Thunderf00t's old post at FTB and they are still making money off them.

tachikoma

Re: An unstoppable tide of trolls

Post by tachikoma »

Dilurk wrote:From the http://synapses.co.za/unstoppable-tide-trolls/ that was posted, is this comment.
Iamcuriousblue August 12, 2012 at 6:10 am | Permalink | Reply
The problem with FTB, or a significant portion of it, is that it basically took the culture of the “feminist blogosphere” (Jezebel, Pandagon, I Blame the Patriarchy, etc.) and grafted it on to the atheist community with disastrous results. So not only have they imported in many of the problems that that particular subculture hasn’t really dealt with (notably a “callout” culture rife with bullying, self-righteousness, exaggerated claims of victimization, dogmatism, etc.), but also imported in a whole kind of hyper-sensitive discourse around gender into another subculture (the atheist/secular one) that hasn’t really dealt with these issues, nor had any introduction one way or the other to the approaches internet feminists take to those issues.
It's a nice comment, but it seems to put the focus on the unpreparedness of the a/s community to assimilation by online feminist culture, as if if either community was more prepared there would be less problems. No, I think the whole problem is the toxicity of feminist culture, some of it unique to the blogosphere, some of it embedded in feminist theory itself (such as the concepts of Patriarchy, false consciousness, male privilege, etc.).

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Test

Post by Lsuoma »

sneesh

Post by Guest »

Soon Abbie will being invited to conferences as freethought bully repellent-- ha! It will be great... they won't have to ban offensive jewelery, worry about all the enemies PZ has made, or make apologies to people who can't be placated.

FTB does have an exaggerated sense of their importance. I'm pretty sure most people who consider themselves an active part of the skeptic/freethought community-- don't even know who they are. This brouhaha isn't even a blip on most atheist skeptic forums, podcasts, videos, meet ups, conventions, etc.

DW Adams

Re: Test

Post by DW Adams »

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Re: Test

Post by Lsuoma »

Nah, I was actually trying to see if I could use the word replacement function to embed an image: so far I have not got it to work.

Back to the old drawing board...

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

I have never seen this piece of the puzzle before today:

From 2010
[youtube]ohnZ6gAWMz4[/youtube]

What happened to her? Did this type of exposure push her too far too fast?

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

It's a fucking shame abut cris rad.

I suggest she decided to cash in, all she had to do was change her fucking mind about reality, and badabing its $$$ time, im very sure that shes convinced herself that her "new" thoughts are nothing to do with her new blog network, who knows, maybe if she isn't a total idiot she'll recognise the circus she thought was her ticket, can ony ever damage her, and she'll pull the escape cord and salvage as much credibiity as she can. Writing her fftb venture off as a mind fart.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Skeeve wrote:I have never seen this piece of the puzzle before today:

From 2010

Oh, Kryten why hast thou forsaken me?

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

bhoytony wrote:
Skeeve wrote:I have never seen this piece of the puzzle before today:

From 2010

I could not watch more than a few minutes of the start. It's revolting.

Post by Guest »

sacha wrote:
Guest wrote:Thanks for the repost James.

I remember reading that piece by Myers at the time and noticing Myers misrepresentation of Hitchens views. I wrote Myers off as a pseudo skeptic with a political barrow to push, and didn't really pay any more attention to him until the whole elevator gate thing took off. Really he has always been a completely dishonest demagogue, it's only lately that this has started to be noticed by the wider skeptic 'community'.
That's when I stopped casually reading PZ's blog. I was never a commenter, and did not even read the comments then, but I would occasionally read a post.

You explained it extremely well. I am constantly amazed at the "liberal" and "conservative" dogma in the US and just how many suddenly had vitriol towards Hitch because of this. Even now if Hitchens is brought up in conversation, I still hear people say he lost his mental capacity when he "supported war and genocide". Hitch!

GRRRR
Hey, Sacha,

Didn't mean to suggest it was me who wrote the original post, sorry - I can see that's how it might have looked. I was just saying thanks to James for posting that info here (yeah, I'm a noob).

Saint N.

Post by Saint N. »

Za-zen wrote:maybe if she isn't a total idiot she'll recognise the circus she thought was her ticket, can ony ever damage her, and she'll pull the escape cord and salvage as much credibiity as she can. Writing her fftb venture off as a mind fart.
Having now got a glimpse of what goes on in the FtB backchannel, which all their bloggers apparently have access to, I don't see how any of them can fain ignorance about the sort of environment they are in. And before any one of there fans says something about how vile and vulgar the slyme pit is, let's remember that all things said on here are out in the open, with no backroom talk or whispers involved (unless there is a ultrasecret, confidential backchannel all of you are hiding from me). As to the possible accusation of why I'm ready to accept the worst about FtB's administrative shenanigans, let me ask this, why are Ed, PZ, et al only responding to the supposed "web ethics" of what Thunder did? Why haven't Ed, or PZ, or anyone else, produced information that contradicts the claims made by Tf00t's "hacked" email revelations? They keep saying that he is being selective with the information he is presenting, but then why don't they just reveal the part of the information that validates their position? When this happens, I'll gladly reconsider my position. Until that happens, I'll go by past experience and take anything they say with a grain of salt.

Yesterday, I was one of the people ready to say that this was a bad move on Thunder's part, and that he has made himself look petty when he had the high-ground before. But now that I know how FtB is still collecting money from his articles (articles that they claimed weren't good enough for their precious network) to increase their shared blog hits (what other reason would they have to keep up "unworthy, poorly written" articles, since several of them already responded to him during his time there and could just point to those if they want to give newcomers context), I can understand and sympathize with Tf00t's perspective a lot better.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Dilurk wrote:
bhoytony wrote:
I didn't watch much more myself. it's a pity to see Robert Llewellyn giving the attention whore some attention.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/ ... /4-18l.jpg

sacha

Post by sacha »

Guest wrote:
sacha wrote:
Guest wrote:Thanks for the repost James.

I remember reading that piece by Myers at the time and noticing Myers misrepresentation of Hitchens views. I wrote Myers off as a pseudo skeptic with a political barrow to push, and didn't really pay any more attention to him until the whole elevator gate thing took off. Really he has always been a completely dishonest demagogue, it's only lately that this has started to be noticed by the wider skeptic 'community'.
That's when I stopped casually reading PZ's blog. I was never a commenter, and did not even read the comments then, but I would occasionally read a post.

You explained it extremely well. I am constantly amazed at the "liberal" and "conservative" dogma in the US and just how many suddenly had vitriol towards Hitch because of this. Even now if Hitchens is brought up in conversation, I still hear people say he lost his mental capacity when he "supported war and genocide". Hitch!

GRRRR
Hey, Sacha,

Didn't mean to suggest it was me who wrote the original post, sorry - I can see that's how it might have looked. I was just saying thanks to James for posting that info here (yeah, I'm a noob).
oh, not to worry. I misunderstood.

Now that you have conversed here, would you please use a name besides "guest" so I know you are the same person if we "meet again"?

cheers

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

bhoytony wrote:
Dilurk wrote:
bhoytony wrote:
I didn't watch much more myself. it's a pity to see Robert Llewellyn giving the attention whore some attention.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/ ... /4-18l.jpg
Oh I got the Kryten reference alright, it's just I couldn't bring myself to watch it. The comments from Robert on his youtube channel about this video aren't very helpful either.

Spengler

Post by Spengler »

This
Ed Brayton
You will get paid at the same time everyone else is paid for revenue earned in June (and I will be happy to donate that money to charity if you would prefer, as I do for several of our other bloggers).

Then this
“I haven’t even given any thought to the point at which I would stop paying him. The blog was killed on July 1. I could call that the end or pay him for hits in July, which were not unsubstantial. Or at this point I could just tell him to go fuck himself.
and then this
ThunderFoot
ooloon, you are right, I had already said for Ed to give the money to charity. (I think u missed this comment)

However evidently he had forgotten this as Eds above msg was sent some weeks afterwards. Its clear that he was sitting on my ‘not unsubstantial earnings’ wondering what to do with it. Well hopefully having this donated to the MSF charity drive by DPRJones will put a somewhat upbeat end to this.
Which means he wasn't thinking about it, but after being asked about it was considered not to donate TF's hit money to charity anymore and instead divy it up to FTB. Profits FTW!!!

These people are horrible.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Dilurk wrote: Oh I got the Kryten reference alright, it's just I couldn't bring myself to watch it. The comments from Robert on his youtube channel about this video aren't very helpful either.
Yes I got the impression in his comments that he didn't know anything about it beforehand and had just relied on the first shallow version of events that was presented to him.

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

Spengler wrote:This
Ed Brayton
You will get paid at the same time everyone else is paid for revenue earned in June (and I will be happy to donate that money to charity if you would prefer, as I do for several of our other bloggers).

Then this
“I haven’t even given any thought to the point at which I would stop paying him. The blog was killed on July 1. I could call that the end or pay him for hits in July, which were not unsubstantial. Or at this point I could just tell him to go fuck himself.
and then this
ThunderFoot
ooloon, you are right, I had already said for Ed to give the money to charity. (I think u missed this comment)

However evidently he had forgotten this as Eds above msg was sent some weeks afterwards. Its clear that he was sitting on my ‘not unsubstantial earnings’ wondering what to do with it. Well hopefully having this donated to the MSF charity drive by DPRJones will put a somewhat upbeat end to this.
Which means he wasn't thinking about it, but after being asked about it was considered not to donate TF's hit money to charity anymore and instead divy it up to FTB. Profits FTW!!!

These people are horrible.
Maybe it was a restocking fee.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

That's why they fftb morons are going into nuclear metdown over tf leaking the chatter. They are wholly disingenuous, scheming, underhand, and very very malicous. Not the brand image they are aiming for sheep to percieve.

Dillacunty in his latest video fail tried to distnce himself from the backchannel with his splutter about not having been on it long. Bollocks matt you're fucking in damage control mode, because if you had any integrity you wud have outed the toxic badness going on, but no, you have perpetuated the "fair game" tactics of fftb. You are as much of a twisted malicous hypocrite as a creationist.... The rest of his video was a puke of how horrible tf is, and how really really really is all about truth logic and facts. Who the fuck is he trying to convince, himself? Is this another case of "keep saying it and the sheep will believe it"

SteveW68

Post by SteveW68 »

Spengler wrote:These people are horrible.
To be fair - not ALL of them actually *are*. There are a number of the bloggers there who have not mentioned any of these goings on at all, who have kept completely out of it. As I mentioned on Twitter the other night, there are a couple of the writers there that I do have respect for and it is a shame that they will be collateral damage.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Question is steve, if they saw they toxic cray of the back chatter, the setups, collective etc, and decided to not out it, then they are whores, selling their integrity for the $$ of the ad revenue. So no i have no repsect for them.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

SteveW68 wrote:
Spengler wrote:These people are horrible.
To be fair - not ALL of them actually *are*. There are a number of the bloggers there who have not mentioned any of these goings on at all, who have kept completely out of it. As I mentioned on Twitter the other night, there are a couple of the writers there that I do have respect for and it is a shame that they will be collateral damage.
They may have "kept completely out of it", but presumably they are on the backchannel mailing list. That means they know what has been discussed about keeping the money owed to TF and sharing it out amongst themselves. "Keeping completely out of it" in those circumstances isn't something I have respect for and I think it is perfectly valid to describe them as "horrible".

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Za-zen wrote:Question is steve, if they saw they toxic cray of the back chatter, the setups, collective etc, and decided to not out it, then they are whores, selling their integrity for the $$ of the ad revenue. So no i have no repsect for them.
Or maybe they just don't care to read it...

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Za-zen wrote:Question is steve, if they saw they toxic cray of the back chatter, the setups, collective etc, and decided to not out it, then they are whores, selling their integrity for the $$ of the ad revenue. So no i have no repsect for them.
You really do have too nice a nature for this. I wish I had your faith in humanity.

tachikoma

Post by tachikoma »

bhoytony wrote:
Dilurk wrote: Oh I got the Kryten reference alright, it's just I couldn't bring myself to watch it. The comments from Robert on his youtube channel about this video aren't very helpful either.
Yes I got the impression in his comments that he didn't know anything about it beforehand and had just relied on the first shallow version of events that was presented to him.
My impression as well. It probably just looks like a blog flame war to him.

I watched the first 7 minutes of the video. I found it pretty inoffensive, Watson is basically describing skeptic culture and how she got involved. I don't know about "wonderful" and "clever", she comes across as a science/skeptic groupie/fan. Nothing bad about that, though you could make the case that she shouldn't have the attention that she got. Too boring to get me to watch the remaining 20 minutes, but I rarely have the attention span for long talking head videos.

I don't know why Llewellyn should be blamed for interviewing her back in 2010 before elevatorgate?

tachikoma

Post by tachikoma »

bhoytony wrote:
SteveW68 wrote: To be fair - not ALL of them actually *are*. There are a number of the bloggers there who have not mentioned any of these goings on at all, who have kept completely out of it. As I mentioned on Twitter the other night, there are a couple of the writers there that I do have respect for and it is a shame that they will be collateral damage.
They may have "kept completely out of it", but presumably they are on the backchannel mailing list. That means they know what has been discussed about keeping the money owed to TF and sharing it out amongst themselves. "Keeping completely out of it" in those circumstances isn't something I have respect for and I think it is perfectly valid to describe them as "horrible".
Could they be keeping quiet in fear that the FtBers will destroy their reputation and jobs if they speak out?

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

tachikoma wrote:
bhoytony wrote:

I watched the first 7 minutes of the video. I found it pretty inoffensive, Watson is basically describing skeptic culture and how she got involved. I don't know about "wonderful" and "clever", she comes across as a science/skeptic groupie/fan. Nothing bad about that, though you could make the case that she shouldn't have the attention that she got. Too boring to get me to watch the remaining 20 minutes, but I rarely have the attention span for long talking head videos.

I don't know why Llewellyn should be blamed for interviewing her back in 2010 before elevatorgate?
No, I tuned out after she told Llewellyn she had been introduced into scepticism from magic then JREF. She conveniently did not mention she had also been banned from JREF after she had been banned for using a sock puppet then when she accidentally was reinstated used her new found admin powers to ban her enemies (as a joke) on JREF. That's when I couldn't watch any more.

mikelf

Post by mikelf »

Saint N. wrote: As to the possible accusation of why I'm ready to accept the worst about FtB's administrative shenanigans, let me ask this, why are Ed, PZ, et al only responding to the supposed "web ethics" of what Thunder did? Why haven't Ed, or PZ, or anyone else, produced information that contradicts the claims made by Tf00t's "hacked" email revelations? They keep saying that he is being selective with the information he is presenting, but then why don't they just reveal the part of the information that validates their position?
If you have the facts on your side, pound the facts. If you have the law on your side, pound the law. If you have neither on your side, pound the table.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

bhoytony wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
You really do have too nice a nature for this. I wish I had your faith in humanity.
Well, thing is, I still think most (some) of the FTB gang have some sort of "noble" goal in mind. The way they go about it is quite, let's say, disgusting, but it doesn't make them horrible human beings. And it is a valid hypothesis that some of them may not care at all about the backchannel. Or maybe they're all just huge assholes (this, I doubt).

BTW: "backchannel" on a suposedly skpetic blog, that really doesn't parse for me (hence my constant harassing of Lsuoma on moderation and such)...

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

tachikoma wrote:
bhoytony wrote:

I wasn't blaming him, just making a joke. I still don't see why anybody would interview her now. then or anytime. Why on earth she was given a place on the SGU is beyond me. All she seems to do on the show is make desperately unfunny jokes, completely miss all the nerdy references that are supposedly aimed at the oh-my god I'm-such-a-nerd persona that she fakes and read out some shite that she googled in two minutes using the words science and scepticism. I can do my own internet searches thank you very much.
Off-topic, but looking at your avatar by coincidence I am just about to rewatch Ghost In The Shell for the first time in years

tachikoma

Re: Fundamentalism in the Sceptic Community

Post by tachikoma »

James Onen wrote:
One group which claims women are getting harassed sexually at Sceptic Conferences and are the victims of online hate mail. Another group claims that this isn’t really an issue, are requesting evidence to back up the first groups claims, and that the first group are making unrealistic demands on policy changes. While the last group simply think the first two groups are been utterly ridiculous and irrational.
http://musinlon.wordpress.com/2012/08/1 ... community/
A pretty good article about the black and white thinking that colors the politics in the US and how that spilled over into the skepticism movement. However, I take exception to this paragraph. What, exactly, does this third group want to have happen? It's "utterly ridiculous and irrational" to request evidence to back up claims?

Mr Danksworth

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Who wants to start a pool on how long he can last?
http://freethoughtblogs.com/aronra/2012/08/12/211/

tachikoma

Post by tachikoma »

bhoytony wrote:I still don't see why anybody would interview her now. then or anytime. Why on earth she was given a place on the SGU is beyond me. All she seems to do on the show is make desperately unfunny jokes, completely miss all the nerdy references that are supposedly aimed at the oh-my god I'm-such-a-nerd persona that she fakes and read out some shite that she googled in two minutes using the words science and scepticism. I can do my own internet searches thank you very much.
Off-topic, but looking at your avatar by coincidence I am just about to rewatch Ghost In The Shell for the first time in years
It's probably, like other people said before, the OMGITSAGIRL reaction from the guys in skepticism.

GitS is worth rewatching. You mean the first movie or the TV series? Probably the series since that has the Tachikoma, but you said "in years" and the series just came out recently...OH SHIT GitS:SAC CAME OUT 10 YEARS AGO WHERE DID THE TIME GO

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

tachikoma wrote:
bhoytony wrote:I still don't see why anybody would interview her now. then or anytime. Why on earth she was given a place on the SGU is beyond me. All she seems to do on the show is make desperately unfunny jokes, completely miss all the nerdy references that are supposedly aimed at the oh-my god I'm-such-a-nerd persona that she fakes and read out some shite that she googled in two minutes using the words science and scepticism. I can do my own internet searches thank you very much.
It's probably, like other people said before, the OMGITSAGIRL reaction from the guys in skepticism.

GitS is worth rewatching. You mean the first movie or the TV series? Probably the series since that has the Tachikoma, but you said "in years" and the series just came out recently...OH SHIT GitS:SAC CAME OUT 10 YEARS AGO WHERE DID THE TIME GO
I so dislike this movie, it's almost hate.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Dilurk:
Ditto. She's just another boring, self-involved slacker with a whiny, jaded voice.

In unrelated news, who would have thought that bathing two small (10 lb and 11 lb) dogs would be such a prolonged and messy struggle? I had less water on my clothes after hosing off an 1100-lb Thoroughbred subsequent to a trail ride this morning.

OK, maybe I shouldn't let the little dogs run around the house after toweling them off. Wet streaks on the carpet and walls from where they tried to dry themselves off further. :mrgreen:

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

tachikoma wrote:
I'm going to rewatch both movies. I know the tachikoma were in the TV series, not the movie but it just made me think of the coincidence.

Saint N.

Post by Saint N. »

mikelf wrote:
Saint N. wrote: As to the possible accusation of why I'm ready to accept the worst about FtB's administrative shenanigans, let me ask this, why are Ed, PZ, et al only responding to the supposed "web ethics" of what Thunder did? Why haven't Ed, or PZ, or anyone else, produced information that contradicts the claims made by Tf00t's "hacked" email revelations? They keep saying that he is being selective with the information he is presenting, but then why don't they just reveal the part of the information that validates their position?
If you have the facts on your side, pound the facts. If you have the law on your side, pound the law. If you have neither on your side, pound the table.
Exactly.

Yesterday, FTBers were making it sound as if they were going to take legal action against Tf00t, now it's all about how "dishonest", "vile", and "underhanded" it is for Thunder to expose their backchannel talks. If they could sue, they would; if they could falsify the things Tf00t exposed, they would; but they won't. So, you do the math. Fuck, they can't even prove that he doc dropped (the sin they were so frantic about just a mere 24 hours ago).

Also, if we are expected to refrain from criticizing the members of FtB who have so far (apparently) stayed out of the discussion (either due to apathy, fear, or ignorance of the questionable things going on in these backchannel discussion). Then I gather that all of these neutral FtBers will be equally willing to refrain from criticizing moderate/liberal Christians for not openly distancing themselves from the questionable actions of their respective churches. No?

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Hey, come on. No GitS, then no Matrix. Actually if that means no Matrix Reloaded or Matrix Revolutions then I'd be OK with it.

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

bhoytony wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Hey, come on. No GitS, then no Matrix. Actually if that means no Matrix Reloaded or Matrix Revolutions then I'd be OK with it.
Do watch GitS in Japanese with subtitles if you must. The English dubbed version was bowdlerized as is typically done. You'll laugh more. I remember the Tachikoma from one of the Manga. I need to reread that Manga and rewatch the video.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Dilurk wrote:[
Do watch GitS in Japanese with subtitles if you must. The English dubbed version was bowdlerized as is typically done. You'll laugh more. I remember the Tachikoma from one of the Manga. I need to reread that Manga and rewatch the video.
One of my pet hates is dubbing films into English. Can't people read? Yes the versions of these that I have are subtitled. I also have the TV series with some of the worst subtitles I've ever seen, I think I probably made more sense of the Japanese soundtrack.

Post by Guest »

Tachikoma,

I thought your avatar was one robot doing another robot from behind. Is this not so?

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

Guest wrote:Tachikoma,

I thought your avatar was one robot doing another robot from behind. Is this not so?
Could be couldn't it? http://ghostintheshell.wikia.com/wiki/Tachikoma

tachikoma

Post by tachikoma »

The Tachikoma are a series of spider-shaped battle tanks equipped with curiosity-driven A.I., from the anime TV series Ghost in the Shell:Stand Alone Complex and their derived sequels. Their later versions, Fuchikoma, was in the manga (which has one of the highest crotch-shot-per-page rates that I've ever read). They do not show up in the "Ghost in the Shell" movies directed by Oshii; the movies are almost a parallel universe and have a different focus and feel from the SAC TV series. Personally, I prefer the SAC series over the Oshii movies, which, especially the second movie, I think are navel-gazing and try too hard to be art movies.

http://i.imgur.com/hrYs6.png

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Dilurk wrote:

Have to admit, I thought it might be one for Viz's 'Up The Arse' corner.

Git

Post by Git »

Tigzy wrote:
Dilurk wrote:

Me too. :D

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

This just in:

http://atheiststoday.com/images/sallyst ... witter.jpg

From the above link:

http://atheiststoday.com/images/anon_rapethreat.jpg

I'm calling BS. It doesn't appear to be a "supporter", but an anonymous poster. Either a random troll or a FtB troll.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Git wrote:
Tigzy wrote:
Dilurk wrote:

Me too. :D
http://www.slashfilm.com/wp/wp-content/ ... 40x423.jpg

:D

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Skeeve wrote:This just in:

From the above link:

I'm calling BS. It doesn't appear to be a "supporter", but an anonymous poster. Either a random troll or a FtB troll.
I'm honestly shocked! :o

Sally Strange actually went and got herself a job??? :o

Mr Danksworth

Post by Mr Danksworth »

[quote="Skeeve"]This just in:

http://atheiststoday.com/images/sallyst ... witter.jpg

Ahh, Soapbox Sally. Always on the hunt for more victimization. She has to be crowned Queen of the Troll Feeders.

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

What's kind of funny, her and Zinnia are reposting stuff from those comments on Twitter.

There is only one problem, the Thunderf00t they think they're quoting isn't really Thunderf00t. It's someone using his handle but with a different profile:

http://en.gravatar.com/false

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

For those of you who may be interested, I debated a fundamentalist Christian pastor who was protesting an LGBT pride event I attended earlier today. I recorded our 43 minute discussion and placed it on Youtube.

[youtube]5mJlv38iQuA[/youtube]

...and as a reminder, my live online debate with Catholic philosopher Dr. Ronda Chervin is this Friday evening.
http://www.nepafreethought.org/debate