Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads
sacha

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by sacha »

okay, I can search for a phrase!

here is the beginning of Nectar's disagreement: http://scienceblogs.com/erv/2011/11/26/ ... ment-49354

hope it works

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

sacha wrote:okay, I can search for a phrase!

here is the beginning of Nectar's disagreement: http://scienceblogs.com/erv/2011/11/26/ ... ment-49354

hope it works
It worked. Not so blonde, eh?

BarnOwl

Re: blondie

Post by BarnOwl »

sacha @ http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... &t=73#p690 - for linking specific comments from FfTB or Sb, you can click on the time stamp for the individual comment, copy the URL from the address bar at the top of your browser window, and paste it between the URL code bracket sets ([blah] and [/blah] for BBCode). For the Slymepit posts, you click on the individual comment Subject to get the specific URL to appear in the address bar, and then copy and paste as above.

I'm not a digital native, but the above seems to work for me. :mrgreen:

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Everyman (http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/posting.p ... t=73#pr720), I like, very much, the things you have posted at FfTB, and respect you opinions quite a bit.

However, if you have any interest at all in maintaining the respect that I have for you, don't you ever, ever, treat people who do not understand and know the things you intuitively, and/or professionally understand and know, with such deep, dismissive disrespect as "Oh For Fuck's Sake here you go".

There are a lot of people who use and post on BBSs and blogs who don't even know what a script is, let alone html.

Jesus christ, you pompous fucking shit. Stand back from your goddamn throne of innate knowledge for just a sacrificial minute, and try to see that not everyone knows what you know.

Man, I would love to find some topic you know nothing about, and for which I do know something about, and give the goddamn OH FFS when you meekly expose your ignorance.

EveryMan

Post by EveryMan »

Lsuoma wrote:
sacha wrote:okay, I can search for a phrase!

hope it works
It worked. Not so blonde, eh?
http://www.certifiedbattery.com/taspand ... mputer.jpg

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

I love Happy Cat...

EveryMan

Post by EveryMan »

John Greg wrote: Man, I would love to find some topic you know nothing about, and for which I do know something about, and give the goddamn OH FFS when you meekly expose your ignorance.
A) Fat Chance.

B) See this post re: dingleberries over-reacting to non-issues:
http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... &t=71#p671

For the record I was engaging in a bit of self-depreciating satire.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_vY8I5HvOvk8/T ... r-nerd.jpg

sacha

Post by sacha »

EveryMan and John Greg,

<b>shut the fuck up.</b> I understood both of you, and your positions. All is well, I never considered anything insulting at all.

Save your energy to defend someone who does not have armidillo skin.

I can think of only one thing that offends me, and I'm not telling. nyah nyah

Plus, you <i>know</i> me! I'm the first one to admit my blond disability.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Bluharmony has decided to pop her head above the paraphet at Opheliar's.
http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... d-purpose/

Meanwhile, on that thread, Stacy says:
Russell Blackford has been tweeting:

The bullies and bully-enablers should have realised a year ago that many of us care deeply about bullying and will not simply accept it.

To which I replied:

What did RW do that deserved months of scorn and sexual slurs and when did u speak out against that bullying?
What is it with these Baboons and their logical fallacies? That is a non-sequiter. Just because Queen Bee has received months of scorn (justified actually!) and sexual slurs (the "bad werdz"!!!) it doesn't mitigate Queen Bee's bullying and nasty behaviour.

Stacy is a fucking dimwit.

sacha

Post by sacha »

[/quote]
It worked. Not so blonde, eh?[/quote]

Oh Lsuoma, baby... you have no idea just how blond I am...

EveryMan

Post by EveryMan »

sacha wrote:
It worked. Not so blonde, eh?[/quote]

Oh Lsuoma, baby... you have no idea just how blond I am...[/quote]

Pure. Comedy. Gold.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

sacha wrote: Oh Lsuoma, baby... you have no idea just how blond I am...
Well, yah fucked up the quote, so, I find you really interesting: want to come back to my place for a good, hard shagging coffee?

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

John Greg @ http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... &t=73#p649 - The line that was beyond the pale for me was the "kids who were too smart to try out for the football team." WTF? Especially galling, since the son of a teaching colleague and friend was just drafted by the Titans. He was a top scholar/athlete at a good university (Rice) ... though I know from personal experience that PZ sneers at it (Rice was my undergrad alma mater too). PZ sneers at sports of all kinds, and apparently in FfTB bizarro world, it's impossible both to participate in or be a fan of sports, and to be intelligent or well-educated. Mutually exclusive. :roll:

sacha

Post by sacha »

here is my first of three comments in regards to how Justicar handled the situation. You will have to read from this link until my last comment on the final page before comments were closed in order to view Justicar's responses to me. You will also see the majority of the intreraction between Justi and John Greg:

http://scienceblogs.com/erv/2011/11/26/ ... ment-49489

sacha

Post by sacha »

Well, yah fucked up the quote, so, I find you really interesting: want to come back to my place for a good, hard shagging coffee?
I'm a tea drinker, and I want that good hard shag right here in the elevator.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

sacha wrote:EveryMan and John Greg,

<b>shut the fuck up.</b> I understood both of you, and your positions. All is well, I never considered anything insulting at all.

Save your energy to defend someone who does not have armidillo skin.

I can think of only one thing that offends me, and I'm not telling. nyah nyah

Plus, you <i>know</i> me! I'm the first one to admit my blond disability.
sacha - if you were a crip I'd have no compunction about ripping the piss out of you, but being code-challenged is no joke. Take a look at Friendly Franc's simple guide to bbcode.
Last edited by Lsuoma on Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: decapitalating sacha

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Greg Laden's buddy on the trailer park provided the inspiration for William Friedkin's latest film. :)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... Poster.jpg

masakari2012

Post by masakari2012 »

Greg Laden showed himself on D.J. Grothe's thread, under that "Anatomy Of A Bully" post. :lol:

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

masakari2012 wrote:Greg Laden showed himself on D.J. Grothe's thread, under that "Anatomy Of A Bully" post. :lol:
He says he just had lunch with Queen Bee. That, and Black Svan's toast to him, the Baboons really don't seem to have a problem with the fact that he threatened someone with violence recently. Worth bearing in mind next time Queen Bee or Black Svan cry and moan about internet threats.

Parge

Re: ffs bash script

Post by Parge »

Everyman: I loled

JG: don't stress. Satire sometimes suffers from signal degredation on teh tubez, especially when not accompanied by smileywinks. Ironically, Franc detests smileywinks. You do the math ;)

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Sacha, good, I bumfpht up.

Everyman, sorry, I over ampeamped.

sacha

Post by sacha »

Lsuoma: sacha - if you were a crip I'd have no compunction about ripping the piss out of you, but being code-challenged is no joke.
Take a look at Friendly Franc's simple guide to bbcode.
You sound just like Franc. He would buy you a beer and a whisky for that comment.

You are completely right, of course. I will review and learn.

I apologise for the many comments that had fucked up code.

This format seems to be easier anyway, and I need all the easy I can get.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

sacha wrote:
Lsuoma: sacha - if you were a crip I'd have no compunction about ripping the piss out of you, but being code-challenged is no joke.
Take a look at Friendly Franc's simple guide to bbcode.
You sound just like Franc. He would buy you a beer and a whisky for that comment.

You are completely right, of course. I will review and learn.

I apologise for the many comments that had fucked up code.

This format seems to be easier anyway, and I need all the easy I can get.
Meh. It's just me being a pussy...

Don't sweat anything. People who care will put in the effort - others can fuck off.

Where IS the Hoggler, BTW? And Scented Nectar, for that matter?

sacha

deja vu

Post by sacha »

PZ telephoned the organizer of a skeptic's event that I am attending, and said that I wrote a post calling Becci a gender traitor, and that he feared for Rebeca's safety. How do I know? The organizer is an acquaintance of mine. He told them that he knew me and I was harmless, and Rebecca asked him to tell me not to speak to her!

So I called RW a gender traitor. That's interesting.
Also when I mentioned I was attending on Abbie's thread, we all laughed at how the best way to get to her, is to ignore her, which is exactly what I planned to do. So she wants me to do exactly what I planned, and she thinks I would allow her in the Gender Traitors gang.

hahahahahahaha!

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Re: deja vu

Post by Lsuoma »

sacha wrote:hahahahahahaha!
I'd like this to become a new acronym or abbreviation: TABSOP - They Are Beyond Satire Or Parody. TABPOS would work too, but the acronym is less euphonous to me...

sacha

Re: deja vu

Post by sacha »

they are the gift that keeps on giving. Just when you thought you saw it all...

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Don't scare off the guests!

Post by Lsuoma »

I've been doing an unscientific data collection exercise for the last few hours, and one of the results is that for that period over half the folks accessing the board have been guests, at least as far as my five-minute-sampling goes...

I want to remind you that this is a visitor-friendly site, and to exhort you to be welcoming and open to unregistered users. If anyone makes a post, please evaluate it on the merits of the post, and no other criteria. This is not a joke. Please respect this.

Sister Chromatid

Post by Sister Chromatid »

Weird post from the guy who wrote the skepchickcon anti-harassment policy: http://scienceblogs.com/gregladen/2012/ ... nvergence/

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Sister Chromatid wrote:Weird post from the guy who wrote the skepchickcon anti-harassment policy: http://scienceblogs.com/gregladen/2012/ ... nvergence/
He just wrote a post on the Higgs boson stuff as well. He may be trying to put food on his plate. Being kicked off FfTB, I'm sure that his income would drop a lot if he couldn't push more traffic to SB.

Sister Chromatid

Post by Sister Chromatid »

I just thought it was weird... he's trying to make it sound like he has all these female friends (Desiree Schell is his new BFF-- not Stephanie) and they all say things like "I'll kick your ass" --which he said to Justin (along with lots of other creepy stuff) and it's all very normal and fun, fun, fun. Reading between the lines, it appears he's been kicked off of a few panels. Oh and Desiree has a lot of meat on her plate? Rebecca-- Greg's "esteemed colleague" *snort*-- is a vegetarian.

He doesn't give any details of the event... did he even pay attention to the talks? Instead we have stories about blue hair. And vagaina (sic) coloring?

To me, it sounds like he wrote the piece to cover for the fact that he's been asked not to speak on some panels because he turned out to be more creepy than the creepy guys his anti-harassment policy was to protect the skep-chicks from. And he wants to pass this all off as normal and let everyone know how getting kicked off free-thought blogs is no big deal. They HAD to get rid of him for saying he'd kick Justin's ass, you see, so that they could remove that horrible threat to women-- Thunderfoot-- ha!

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Thanks for that thread, Lsuoma, that's more like it!

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

The "esteemed" adjective made me chortle, too.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

so hello there. im posting drunk and completely out of context i expect. but hey.

i just want to bitch about how angry i am about this bullshit. im just fucking insanely angry and i have been since the beginning of it all.

fuck these people who want to ME feel like a fucking child or part of some weird pervy cult where women and men aren't allowed to interact

i was raised by fucking feminists in the actual THEY HAVE QUALIFICATIONS IN WOMENS STUDIES WAY and you know what at no point did they ever tell me, oh and by the way, all men are rapists and its because of sexism. yayyyyy

what the fuck seriously what is even the fuck, i used to be part of the skepticism thing, i went to local skeptic events, read bunches of blogs. and when the original shit happened i just quit. because it's a fucking cult. it's a dogmatic stupid cult. i thought it would end but it hasnt, theyre still around and theyre still stupid.

i hate them all

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

@ Sister Chromatid - WTF does Laden know about climate change? Or about any of the other panel topics, for that matter? I suppose he's an "expert" in the same way that RW is an "expert." Because I say sooo wharrrgarrblll!!!111!!righteous indignationELEVENTY

Looks as if John Abraham is the only legit climate scientist on the panel, with related expertise and research in thermodynamics, heat transfer, etc. The others are science writers/journalists and a meteorologist, with at least decent track records of publishing books and articles on climate change and related topics. So why is Laden on the panel?

Here's an interesting piece of information about Abraham (from Wikipedia):
Abraham estimated early in 2012 that since beginning his rebuttal he had put around 1,000 unpaid hours into work on climate change and the controversy. He has given numerous speeches to publicise global warming issues, but does not accept funding for climate research or ask for a honorarium for speeches: if payment is given he asks that is goes to St. Thomas or to charity

Post by Guest »

I bet he knows even less about female orgasm-- and he's speaking on that too! Creepy if you ask me.

(I'd rather hear what ThunderfOOt has to say on the subject.)

*giggles*

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

CommanderTuvok wrote:Bluharmony has decided to pop her head above the paraphet at Opheliar's.
http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... d-purpose/

Meanwhile, on that thread, Stacy says:
Russell Blackford has been tweeting:

The bullies and bully-enablers should have realised a year ago that many of us care deeply about bullying and will not simply accept it.

To which I replied:

What did RW do that deserved months of scorn and sexual slurs and when did u speak out against that bullying?
What is it with these Baboons and their logical fallacies? That is a non-sequitur. Just because Queen Bee has received months of scorn (justified actually!) and sexual slurs (the "bad werdz"!!!) it doesn't mitigate Queen Bee's bullying and nasty behaviour.

Stacy is a fucking dimwit.
We should not ourselves be guilty of a tu quoque in the sense of accepting bullying towards bullies is ok because they are bullies, indeed personally I am against the sexual slurs that RW and our young reddit atheist suffered. I'd argue the sexual slur attacks received were indeed forms of piling on attacks and just as puerile as the pile on bullying received by people like Blu. The difference is I am not at all convinced all the sexual slur attacks received were from atheists. From what I observed in RWs case is because the EG story spread far and wide outside the atheist community she was targeted by many non-atheists. Clearly this also happened on reddit to our young atheist (14 yo was she not?). (The logical conclusion I have drawn so far is RW is in no way a sceptic. )
Atheists, especially sceptical atheists as a group should do better than this. While I would love to see a truce between us and agreement to "agree to disagree", I do not think this is possible while young atheists see their much older atheists behaving like children and bullying.

Post by Guest »

From Laden's blog post SkepchickCON @ CONvergence mentioned a few messages up:
Many topics were covered during the ensuing conversation. I don’t know why I kept track, but I noticed that on six separate occasions said something like “Man I want to kick his/her ass” or “… made me want to kill him..” and that sort of thing. All metaphorically speaking, of course. No one at the table needed instructions on basic rhetoric. Adults all.

So in Laden's world "man I want to kick his/her ass" is very obviously a "metaphor" when uttered amongst his friends, while "if I was a girl I'd .... her in the ...." uttered online by a person on the opposite side of the planet is a serious threat deserving of nine months worth of fierce denunciation and threats against the young woman who allowed said statement to remain unedited and undeleted. Nice reasoning, Mr Laden. :lol:

dustbubble

Post by dustbubble »

Just to bring the tone back to cruising speed, I did cackle at the comment below TF00t's drone-a-thon which harpooned Watto right in the hump.
" .. community lolcow .. ". Beezer! QFT.

[can I kiss the hairy hooves of whoever changed that chuffing Confirmation code: bollocks to dotty greytone. I can see! I can see again!!]

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

I wonder...since behavior outside of conferences is so important, why isn't Laden barred?

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

@ Guest - Yeah, and wasn't that "Adults all" at the heart of many of Thunderf00t's points? Oh, but that was different.

Laden - the hypocrisy is strong with this one. :mrgreen:

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

Interesting set of posts by a bertrandrussell http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... ent-210663

They manage to convey better the sentiments I have been alluding to on and off. Everything on the Internet is magnified, people have been having flame wars ever since there first was e-mail and Usenet. Leap to bad conclusions about what a speaker is trying to say if it can reinforce a bias you have formed already. (Confirmation bias) Call them out on the perceived wrong. Take any reply they make as further confirmation they really were trying to say bad conclusion. Rinse, lather repeat.

All users of the Internet should read a few e-mail etiquette guides. sheesh.

dustbubble

Post by dustbubble »

Dilurk wrote: .. do not think this is possible while young atheists see their much older atheists behaving like children and bullying.
On the internet? Heaven preserve us!

dustbubble reporting, sir, where do I sign up for the "shithead atheist" tendency? Proud to serve, &c.
Last edited by Lsuoma on Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixing the quote, as requested...

dustbubble

Post by dustbubble »

O arse. Anybody fancy putting the quotemarks in that last? Make me look less of a tit.
Wait. Then you'd have to burn this post. Never mind. As you were.

Stretchycheese

Post by Stretchycheese »

Sister Chromatid wrote:I just thought it was weird... he's trying to make it sound like he has all these female friends (Desiree Schell is his new BFF-- not Stephanie) and they all say things like "I'll kick your ass" --which he said to Justin (along with lots of other creepy stuff) and it's all very normal and fun, fun, fun. Reading between the lines, it appears he's been kicked off of a few panels. Oh and Desiree has a lot of meat on her plate? Rebecca-- Greg's "esteemed colleague" *snort*-- is a vegetarian.
Desiree is host of the radio show "Skeptically Speaking" and Greg Laden is a frequent guest of the show. The show was recommended to me once, but on learning that Laden was a frequent guest, that made me question the credibility of the show turned me off from the whole thing.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Stretchycheese wrote:Desiree is host of the radio show "Skeptically Speaking" and Greg Laden is a frequent guest of the show. The show was recommended to me once, but on learning that Laden was a frequent guest, that made me question the credibility of the show turned me off from the whole thing.
The SGU podcast has the same problem with Rebecca Watson. You have to question the credibility of that podcast while she is associated with it.

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

dustbubble wrote:
Dilurk wrote: .. do not think this is possible while young atheists see their much older atheists behaving like children and bullying.
On the internet? Heaven preserve us!

dustbubble reporting, sir, where do I sign up for the "shithead atheist" tendency? Proud to serve, &c.

The thing is it is not even coming across as shithead they come across as all being quite emotionally immature. Everything they say has to be emotionally laden. ;)
It's not even aspie.

Parge

Justicar States His Case

Post by Parge »

dustbubble

Post by dustbubble »

Oh for fuck's sake. Now he's doing it as well.
The Latest wrote:When you're in a position to know what I know, you'll have a leg to stand on with respect to claiming to know what I know and don't know.
Will the last person to know sekrit stuffs about the contents of Abbie's mind please leave a note explaining it all to me, please please?
I'm beginning to think she never existed, and that video where the preacher got brain-humped by her was Justi in a syrup.

Yay! Scotchman good at tennis shock horror. Just walloped poor Jo-Wilf in the unnecessaries tho'. Bastard.

Post by Guest »

It has occurred to me that "gendered insults" are really just pronouns like "he", "she", "him", or "her". When a person acts unpleasant, disagreeable, obnoxious, etc. one may choose to call them a "dick" if they are male, and "bitch" or "cunt" if they're female (or perhaps the more generic "jerk" or any of hundreds of other terms for either sex). I really do not understand why the Fainting Couch bunch get so wound up about this. Is it the fact that those words generally refer to one sex that perturbs them so? (Of course until very recently it was only the "female" insults that seemed to cause them any consternation.) If "gendered insults" are so terrible, then why don't they have a problem with "gendered pronouns"? :roll: Would "Redickda Watson" or "Opheeldick Benson" have provoked the same months-long episode of moaning and persecution-pleading?

Heintje

Post by Heintje »

Guest wrote:Would "Redickda Watson" or "Opheeldick Benson" have provoked the same months-long episode of moaning and persecution-pleading?
If they can be spunned to further their agenda, feed their victimology narrative, and/or bring in income from speakers or ads money, you betcha.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

I am beyond disgusted by Justicar's behaviour. He is acting precisely like one of the FC5. I am appalled and amazed.

I posted this on his blog:
So, Justi says:

"After the hand-off, Lsuomo apparently thought that the best way to fuck over everyone's work of the previous week on scaling back and working on not alienating as many people as possible, was to make the official motto of the new place better than a kick in the cunt'."

And of course, like a good FfTB clone and the honest reporter you are, you ignore the fact that we removed that tagline and change it to "Porcupine-Free Zone since 2012".

That's right Justi, why ignore reality when you want to make a petulant point.

You also perpetutate the ludicrous idiot nonsense that Baby it's Cold Outside is a rapeist song (gee, where have we heard that bit of invective before?):

"To further hamper matters came the thread with the singing along to a song that is a bit in the rape-y talk. Zvan reads it as being rape-talk, and I do too."

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: anone who really think that song is rapeist is damaged and needs help.

Justi's third lie:

"I detailed one of John Greg's more obvious deceptions; namely, he created a post addressed to Stefunny where he implies, but does not specify who, that some people are making the claims that SP2.0 will be editing and deleting posts (a charge we've made all along against FfTB - correctly so). He denies this."

You have intentionally and willfully misconstrued and misrepresented the entire editing discussion, and in classic FfTB stylee, quote mined. The discussion was specifically and only about our concern that some commenters might post a salacious, or dishonest post, and then go back at a later date after being called out on it, and edit it in such a way as to revise history and make themselves look better.

After much discussion, we reached the conclusion that in the proimary thread know editing or deleting of threads by anyone will be allowed.

In the other areas of the BBS, there, I think, a two minute time space within which you can edit for spelling mistakes and that kind of general thing.

your continued fabrication and playing with rea,ity in the editing issue, andyour ongoing dishonesty on all these issues is remarkable, truly remarkable.
It went through, but who knows if he'll let it stay. He is showing himself to be remarkabley dishinest.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Actually, the tag was never "Better than a kick in the cunt". It was only ever "Better than a **** in the ****".

Yes, there was an implication there, but Justicar should not post blatant untruths. Will he correct it? I don't know. Do I care? Not really. Should he care? Probably, if he wants to avoid being tarred with the brush of dishonesty or ignorance.

Evan

Post by Evan »

Orac comments on his treatment from Ophelia and friends after his remarks on Ophelia's comparison of TAM with Nazi Germany:
I got raked over the coals and labeled a “bully” for saying (pointing what I considered to be a Hitler Zombie-worthy analogy) and who raked me over the coals for saying it (Ophelia Benson, the person who made the analogy, and many of her supporters). In any case, this particular blog war long ago got too nasty even for Orac, and that’s saying a lot. It reminds me of some of the epic blog throwdowns that ScienceBlogs used to be known for. Thankfully, this sort of drama has apparently moved over to FreeThoughtBlogs now. Hopefully, it will stay there.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Armchair Skeptic, who I have a lot of respect for, is, inexplicably (in my opinion) supporting Justi in his current madness. After Justi posted another stream on angry invective and deceit about me (and us), I posted this to his blog:
Armchair, what the heck are you doing supporting Justicar's delusions?

Yes, it is all fine and well that he has stuck to his guns; his principles. That is an honourable thing. But then he quite completely and thoroughly trashes that honour by throwing out so much dishonesty; invective, and lies, and blatant misrepresentations, and pissing on his former friends like an Ophelia in Full Bloom.

Well, it's just sad. And I am saddened, Armchair, that you are encouraging his irrational hysteria. I can easily understand why you would not want to associate with the new so-called Slyme Pit (and, for the record not all of us like the new name, but big deal, we aren't children; we can live with a few disappointments in life), and that's fine; that's your call. But I do not understand why you would want to associate with someone who is showing themselves to be about as loyal as a rabid dog, and about as honest and fair-minded as a rabid Zvan.

So, I have trouble making up my mind; so, I have a disagreement with some of the other Slyme People; so, they make changes that go against my choices; so, someone posts something that gives me a different perspective and I change my mind; so, the new place is not like the old place; so, the new place is not like Justi wanted; so, the new place is not like I wanted. Big. Fucking. Deal.

Justicar, you have simply lost the plot. You have become unhinged. Ciao.
He really has lost the plot.

LMU

Post by LMU »

Disclaimer: I already talked about this in another thread, so I apologize in advance for the repetition and I won't bring it up again if people think I'm derailing.

A LOT has been said about gendered insults, but I don't understand why more isn't said (on FTB or here) about rape jokes on FTB. I'm referring to the "porcupine" and related insults prominent on Pharyngula. I assume they are still common, but I stopped reading months ago, so I apologize if this is not correct.

They are rape jokes, it's a whole blog that thinks raping people is funny. I think I saw someone arguing that it's not rape because the person is doing it to themselves. This is incorrect, *consent* is what makes it not rape, not the person doing it. For example it is obviously rape if a person holds a gun to someone's head and fucks them with x. It is still rape if a person holds a gun to someone's head and tells them to fuck themselves with x. (The 'x' here can be anything: penises, porcupines, fingers, knives, whatever, it's still rape.) All those "insert porcupine" comments read to me as "I rape so-and-so with a porcupine. Isn't that funny? Haha."

They might have a better explanation, but so far it's excuses from rape apologists. Why are they defending raping people in the first place? I realize they have a double standard, but is there a better explanation than "It's okay when they do it"? Seriously asking here.

Every time FTB brings up gendered slurs, or how they banned someone for such a thing, why aren't they being responded to with some flavor of; "You have a blog full of wannabe rapists and rape apologists and you're complaining about this?" "You banned someone who called you a bad name once a year ago, but you haven't banned the people who make rape jokes in every thread?" etc.?

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

I pointed out, on a couple of FfTB blogs (I'm sorry but I do not remember which ones), that the whole porcupine thing is a tasteless rape joke, but I was soundly shouted down by several commenters, and at least one blog host, with the argument that it is not a rape joke because the implication/instruction is that the individual receiving the porcupine anally must insert it themselves, therefore, because an individual cannot, at least in theory, rape themselves, it is not a rape jok.

So, there you go. That is the FfTB rationale for porcupine rape jokes.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

John Greg wrote:So, there you go. That is the FfTB rationale for porcupine rape jokes.
I think that the whole "fretful porpentine"* thing over there has become so entrenched that it's not going to be possible to change its status, ever, without the need for an unbelievable amount of editing, and even then, there's always the risk that someone might not catch on to the change, and commit a horrible solecism by using it inappropriately. Or a non-Baboollie might point out the change using the Wayback machine, or screen caps.

So, they have to live with it, and that means that when real or imagined rape and rape threats started to be discussed their only real option was to play it up as a joke.

They took a shit with their own clothes on for fun, and now they have to live with it. They may have managed to convince themselves that they are not covered in the brown stuff, but everyone else can smell it. It's the Emperor's New Shit Suit.

I'm not saying that it was planned and discussed explicitly: I'm sure it was an emerging consensus that was unconsciously, but gratefully adopted as the official line.
*And yes, I'd be fretful too if I as a porpentine was due to be stuffed up someone jacksie!

EveryMan

Post by EveryMan »

Guest wrote:
So in Laden's world "man I want to kick his/her ass" is very obviously a "metaphor" when uttered amongst his friends, while "if I was a girl I'd .... her in the ...." uttered online by a person on the opposite side of the planet is a serious threat deserving of nine months worth of fierce denunciation and threats against the young woman who allowed said statement to remain unedited and undeleted. Nice reasoning, Mr Laden. :lol:
This is why it's important to maintain a moral high ground in long-running 'culture' wars like this.

Over time the opposition invariably slips up and public opinion will continue to drift in your favor.

When Laden 'doxxed' me for pushing him to remove a libelous comment from his site, I let it slide. Sure, losing my anonymity kinda sucked, but it was obvious Laden was going to have a meltdown eventually. Turns out it was sooner rather than later.

So, now if some Googles my real name, they will find documentation of me standing up to a now outed cyber-bully. Had I resorted to using certain loaded words it would have done nothing but harm my position.

Anyways, that's my feelings why I avoid using that sort of language, even in jest. It's just giving ammo to the other side. YMMV.

LMU

Post by LMU »

So there isn't a better explanation? Because that one is not at all convincing.

PZ is quick to ban or edit commenters that he doesn't like, so he must support this sort of thing. Why isn't there a website or hashtag #PZMyersthinksrapesisfunny.com? With links to all the (dozens? hundreds?) of rape jokes he endorses on his blog. Every time someone posts a new rape joke unopposed they can get a link. They are complaining about magic words people said a year ago, but are making rape jokes *right now*.

I realize a lot of you aren't personally bothered by this except as a double standard, but this was a big factor for me deciding to not read FTB. They accuse others of mysogyny while making nonstop rape jokes? WTFingF?!

If someone points a gun at you and you give up your wallet, is that not a crime? In my example above with the gun do you think the jury would let the rapist go? *Should* the jury let the rapist go? There used to be the assumption that a victim would scream if they were actually raped, if only rapists had some way to coerce their victims…

One might respond that my example is too creepy or weird, but so is being raped with a porcupine you perverted mental case, it's still rape! They consented because they were dumb, haha: if "Yes means yes", then no they didn't consent, therefore rape. They were mean, they had it coming: rape apologist. It's just entertaining slash fiction: would you care to actually imagine raping someone with a porcupine? Why don't you just dismember them with a chainsaw Dexter, it'll be cleaner. Etc.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

***Newsflash***

After the "success" of Greg Laden appearing on a panel talking about bullying, SkepchickCon organisers are proud to announce a last-minute addition to the schedule.

Ladies and gentlemen, former World Heavyweight boxing champion MIKE TYSON will be giving a talk about women's rights and how society can raise awareness of rape.

Joining him will be Greg Laden, PZ Myers and Rebecca Watson.

8-)