Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Old subthreads
DW Adams

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Post by DW Adams »

Scented Nectar wrote:
Submariner wrote:
rocko2466 wrote:
Submariner wrote:Not my best work but meh, you misogynist cunts don't deserve better:

Who's the old guy in all of Submariner's videos?

Old!??
Damn young whippersnappers! They'll change their tune about older people when they reach a half century like I did in November. :lol:

Me too! Damn whippersnappers!

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Metalogic42 wrote:It should also be noted that he can afford Skyrim, a computer that can run Skyrim, pot, doritos, clothing without holes that fits, corrective lenses, shoes, hair care products, and boxcutters.
And a Michael Jackson hairdo/cosmetic package! :lol:

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

rocko2466 wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
Apples wrote:You may have heard that former FTB co-blogger (with JT) Christina Stephens dropped her car on her foot recently while fixing her brakes. She has now had it amputated, though before doing so she put up some vids (for those with a necrotic sense of curiosity):

http://www.youtube.com/user/AmputeeOT?feature=watch
She's the one who on purpose cut off a toe and a half last year. I'd bet anything that this was intentional too. She has also admitted that she does painful things just so that she will feel something because she usually can't. Or something like that. I think she must have whatever that mental illness is where people have an urge to be amputees.
What the fuck.

A lot of the videos she has tweeted are about amputees. https://twitter.com/Ziztur

Is she the swing girl from ages ago on the Pit?

Also, if she is the person who cut a toe off, and the swing girl, and now the foot girl, is anyone going to get her psychiatric help? Or does everyone now just say "Shut up neurotypical! We don't need help; we need encouragement!"
Yes, she's the one who does hook and string swing suspension for jollies. She once showed a picture of herself doing it. Halffish, the don't-tell-lovers-you-have-AIDS guy, also does that suspension crap.

masakari2012

Post by masakari2012 »

franc wrote:
masakari2012 wrote:Did anyone make a copy of Ben Radford's satire blog? It appears it's now 404.
Freeze page -
http://n01.freezepage.com/a/13619/33387GGKDAIEOUU/0

Source - PZStrawman.zip
PZStrawman.zip
PDF - RadfordPZStraw.pdf.zip
RadfordPZStraw.pdf.zip
Lsuoma - this place prohibits .pdf attachments.
Thanks franc. I don't care what Lsuoma said behind your back, you're a great guy!

I was so close to making a copy of that blog, but I didn't think Ben Radford would remove it.
http://pastehtml.com/view/ctx0i8ozc.html

masakari2012

Re: who - me?

Post by masakari2012 »

Apples wrote:Where did PZ get the impression that straight-up denial of well-documented reality is an effective debating technique? He's hanging out with EllenBeth Wacks too much:

http://i.imgur.com/mhjh54B.jpg
Peezus wrote:For real fun, look at his complaints about blogs in general.
Sam Harris wrote:It is difficult to overlook the role that blog comments play in all this. Having a blog and building a large community of readers can destroy a person’s intellectual integrity—as appears to have happened in the case of PZ Myers. Many people who read his blog come away convinced that I am a racist who advocates the widespread use of torture and a nuclear first strike against the entire Muslim world. The most despicable claims about me appear in the comment thread, of course, but Myers is responsible for publishing them. And so I hold him responsible for circulating and amplifying some of the worst distortions of my views found on the Internet.
Hmmm. I think Harris’s reputation as an illiberal advocate for atrocious policies long preceded any of my criticisms of his positions, and I suspect that the commenters here could make a far better indictment of Harris than he can a defense.
http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... am-harris/
http://www.freezepage.com/1361975247HFTZWMOTNV
With friends like PZ Myers, who needs enemies?

http://www.samharris.org/blog/item/wrestling-the-troll

welch

Post by welch »

aqi wrote:.........................................Anyone noticed that Watson hasn't said anything in support of Harriet Hall and Surly Amy talking?
She has to figure out a way to make it about her without being too blatant. People acting like adults is a bit foreign to her.

welch

Post by welch »

LadyChillax wrote:
John Brown wrote:Yeah, here's the thing, EllenBeth, since you are being willfully dense. Men tell other men this fucking shit all the time. Don't be stupid and get yourself into situations you can't get yourself out of. Don't go drinking alone in strange places. Don't wander off with strangers. Know how to protect yourself. Dress properly. That's what we do because that's the fucking world we live in. It's a rough, violent world out there. Men get there asses beat, mugged, raped, stabbed, shot, and harassed all the time. We understand this, so we take precautions against it. We don't pretend that it's a fantasy candy land where you can do whatever the fuck you want to do, anywhere you want to do it and never, ever suffer any consequences for it.
This whole argument from these feminists that you can't tell girls and young women the same is one of the actually harmful effects of this demented mindset. This argument is very prevalent on the tumblr feminist/girl power sites that are very popular with teenage girls. As the parent of a teenage girl I think this is actually harmful. I hear them talking about this in the real world - these profoundly unhelpful feminists are actually endangering a whole bunch of young women IMO.

The delightful Joanna Lumley - who is also an atheist! - got into a shitstorm for stating the freaking obvious!
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... Patsy.html
When I'm at a conference and people are out drinking, even the guys get 'walked home' if they're new to the city or especially drunk. it's got nothing to do with gender, and everything to do with being a halfway decent human being.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Tigzy wrote:
Jack wrote:
Guest wrote:
justinvacula wrote:Lol PZ Myers suggests I 'wallow in drama.' How about him?
he creates the drama of course

but YOU wallow in it

asshole
You should capitalise the first letters of a sentence or it makes you look silly. Anyway come join us, or are you scared of being auto banned in that hive of justice and freedom?

If you have a beef I'm sure we are more than happy to discuss it.
There's a certan A plusser who has a particular aversion to capitalising the first letter in his sentences. Just as he has a particular aversion to being a useful member of society.
Who does that? I don't look at A+ often enough to know.

Also, does anyone know any particular feminists who constantly mix up the 'e' and the 'u' in words like: neurology (spelling it nuerology instead)? Last year, a person pretending to be a university teacher of some sort contacted me in hopes of allegedly using my anti-feminist videos in his classroom. After a bit of back and forth, I concluded that the person was a fake on many grounds. I'm still curious about who they really were though. They repeatedly mixed up their 'e's and 'u's though, which is maybe not fake. It's probably something they do chronically. So, if anyone knows anyone in particular who does that, I'd be curious to know.

John Brown

Post by John Brown »

welch wrote:
aqi wrote:.........................................Anyone noticed that Watson hasn't said anything in support of Harriet Hall and Surly Amy talking?
She has to figure out a way to make it about her without being too blatant. People acting like adults is a bit foreign to her.
Typing out several paragraphs of vapid snark while trying to get the point across that she doesn't really think about you, except when you're smelly, takes time.

Give it time, my friend. She can't help *but* to comment.

welch

Re: follow the money shot

Post by welch »

Apples wrote:I'll just recycle this image in honor of Jason Tibbidolt's current tut-tutty post on splash damage and that cocksucker Linus Torvalds.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/lousycanuck ... sh-damage/
http://new.freezepage.com/1361969592LQAZJJWEEO

http://i.imgur.com/XGMkAWJ.jpg
Given how much rhetorical choad the canucklehead has to slurp down every day, I can understand why he'd be sensitive about it.

welch

Post by welch »

EdwardGemmer wrote:
justinvacula wrote:New video I uploaded in response to Zvan:

"Why do some feminists online experience a great deal of negative feedback while others do not? I hypothesize that the way they present themselves online has something to do with it. Magical 'harassment faeries' don't just appear out of nowhere."

[youtube]64GYusPicPc[/youtube]
You two just need to get a room and work out some excess energy.
That will be the most awesome hate sex ever.

John Brown

Post by John Brown »

welch wrote:
LadyChillax wrote:
John Brown wrote:Yeah, here's the thing, EllenBeth, since you are being willfully dense. Men tell other men this fucking shit all the time. Don't be stupid and get yourself into situations you can't get yourself out of. Don't go drinking alone in strange places. Don't wander off with strangers. Know how to protect yourself. Dress properly. That's what we do because that's the fucking world we live in. It's a rough, violent world out there. Men get there asses beat, mugged, raped, stabbed, shot, and harassed all the time. We understand this, so we take precautions against it. We don't pretend that it's a fantasy candy land where you can do whatever the fuck you want to do, anywhere you want to do it and never, ever suffer any consequences for it.
This whole argument from these feminists that you can't tell girls and young women the same is one of the actually harmful effects of this demented mindset. This argument is very prevalent on the tumblr feminist/girl power sites that are very popular with teenage girls. As the parent of a teenage girl I think this is actually harmful. I hear them talking about this in the real world - these profoundly unhelpful feminists are actually endangering a whole bunch of young women IMO.

The delightful Joanna Lumley - who is also an atheist! - got into a shitstorm for stating the freaking obvious!
When I'm at a conference and people are out drinking, even the guys get 'walked home' if they're new to the city or especially drunk. it's got nothing to do with gender, and everything to do with being a halfway decent human being.
I have two daughters. I teach them about harm reduction all the time. I may do this by asking them to point in the direction of the car if we are out and about (teaches them situational awareness). I may remind them to wear sensible shoes for the occasion (be prepared for predictable eventualities). And, I tell them to trust their fear instinct. If something seems wrong to them, "listen" to that fear, but don't let it rule you. Pay attention to people around you when in public. You don't have to be obvious about it, but glance around every now and then and get your bearings.

Yet, this is "victim blaming," to some people. People like EllenBeth would rather I sit my daughters down and say, "Listen, there are some bad people out there and there are some situations you should avoid, but don't worry about that. I'm gonna go out and teach all those people not to rape or attack you."

welch

Post by welch »

katamari Damassi wrote:
Apples wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:
Apples wrote:You may have heard that former FTB co-blogger (with JT) Christina Stephens dropped her car on her foot recently while fixing her brakes. She has now had it amputated, though before doing so she put up some vids (for those with a necrotic sense of curiosity):

Didn't JT have a girlfriend who once amputated one of her own toes just for shits and giggles? It's not the same friend is it?
Something like that happened, and I think it was Christina. I actually searched for it and couldn't find it -- seem to remember some cryptic conversation on twitter or on the blog that made it sound like she had cut a toe off. She did write a post on Body Integrity Identity Disorder awhile back, but it seems to be a 404:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/wwjtd/2012 ... isability/
If that's the case then I bet this was no accident.
I'd have to doubt that. There's a world of difference between having a body part surgically amputated and dropping a wheel on your foot.

It's not outside the range of possibility at all mind you, but I'd need SOMETHING to go on to think it was deliberate in this case.

welch

Post by welch »

Tigzy wrote:
I wise move by Harriet Hall, if at least a part of her reason for making up with Amy was to make Watson look even worse.

It must irk the shit out of the glob that there's fuck all she can now say about the matter without making herself look like an utter turd in the eyes of her cohorts - unless she apologises to Dr Hall for that post she put up on SBM. But it'll be a cold day at Justin Vacula's place before that happens.

BTW - seems we have a contingent of South Americans here. Shall we make the pit a more welcoming place for them by talking about the Colombian drugs trade and neo-imperialist US incursions?
Or she just weighed "Apologizing even if you're not wrong and making this idiocy go away" vs. "Fighting yet another never-ending internet drama battle" and decided the former was the better choice.

welch

Post by welch »

Scented Nectar wrote: Also, I'm pretty sure (but not positive) that she was one of the radfems who convinced the US gov't to force NGOs to take the "pledge" that they won't support/help/give-free-condoms-to sex workers. If they don't take the pledge, they don't get funded. I think the pledge was finally, recently removed, but it caused a lot of damage. One can only estimate the number of deaths from AIDS.

Given the virulent anti-birth control views of the right wing in this country, it's more likely that the fundies put that in. Remember, Reagan dragged the SHIT out of his feet in finally acknowledging AIDS wasn't just for dirty homos.

John Brown

Post by John Brown »

welch wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote: Also, I'm pretty sure (but not positive) that she was one of the radfems who convinced the US gov't to force NGOs to take the "pledge" that they won't support/help/give-free-condoms-to sex workers. If they don't take the pledge, they don't get funded. I think the pledge was finally, recently removed, but it caused a lot of damage. One can only estimate the number of deaths from AIDS.

Given the virulent anti-birth control views of the right wing in this country, it's more likely that the fundies put that in. Remember, Reagan dragged the SHIT out of his feet in finally acknowledging AIDS wasn't just for dirty homos.
Wait, what? Is there a link for that no condom pledge?

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

John Brown wrote:
welch wrote:
LadyChillax wrote:

I have two daughters. I teach them about harm reduction all the time. I may do this by asking them to point in the direction of the car if we are out and about (teaches them situational awareness). I may remind them to wear sensible shoes for the occasion (be prepared for predictable eventualities). And, I tell them to trust their fear instinct. If something seems wrong to them, "listen" to that fear, but don't let it rule you. Pay attention to people around you when in public. You don't have to be obvious about it, but glance around every now and then and get your bearings.

Yet, this is "victim blaming," to some people. People like EllenBeth would rather I sit my daughters down and say, "Listen, there are some bad people out there and there are some situations you should avoid, but don't worry about that. I'm gonna go out and teach all those people not to rape or attack you."
Having 2 daughters and a son, I completely agree with this. It's called "personal responsibility" in this house. Even my guy - 6 foot tall, shaved head, and a former police officer/prison guard - practices this. You cannot control what other people will do but you can control your situation and minimize risk.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

rocko2466 wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:

She's the one who on purpose cut off a toe and a half last year. I'd bet anything that this was intentional too. She has also admitted that she does painful things just so that she will feel something because she usually can't. Or something like that. I think she must have whatever that mental illness is where people have an urge to be amputees.
What the fuck.

A lot of the videos she has tweeted are about amputees. https://twitter.com/Ziztur

Is she the swing girl from ages ago on the Pit?

Also, if she is the person who cut a toe off, and the swing girl, and now the foot girl, is anyone going to get her psychiatric help? Or does everyone now just say "Shut up neurotypical! We don't need help; we need encouragement!"
I think that's the same woman.
She had some sort of open marriage with her husband and wrote on JTs blog about inviting him back to their home for sex, while her husband was upstairs.
Well, consenting adults and all, there's nothing wrong with that.
The toe-chopping, on the other hand was alarming, to put it mildly.
She has a post on JTs blog where she announces she has just had some toes amputated but doesn't give a reason for it. Her bio described her as having some kind of body-dysmorphic issue so it was at least questionable whether this was an accident, a disease, or a voluntary body modification. She avoided the questions about the reason for the amputations by giving snarky answers - and appeared to be joking around with some people who seemed to be in-the-know about the real reasons.
She had a follow-up post where she suggested that she wouldn't be able to say whether she had chosen to do the amputation herself because employers might see it and that wouldn't be good.

As for the current situation, I'm highly suspicious.
Changing the tyres on a car and it falls on her foot and causes enough damage for her to require an amputation?
Really?
Well maybe it did.
Or maybe it caused significant, but repairable damage, but if she waited long enough before going to the emergency room...

I would like to hear a physicians view on this.
Skeptickle?

This is a real ethical grey area.
She is an adult and she does seem to be doing this stuff voluntarily, but...
This does seem to be a kind of mental illness issue.
I thought it irresponsible of JT to have her posting the toe chopping stuff a while back - especially when the comment thread seemed to be cheering her on - as if she'd got a cool tattoo or piercing.
She seems to be getting encouragement from the skeptic community that this is something akin to a kink or a personal fashion choice, rather than a damaging mental pathology.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Scented Nectar wrote:
Tigzy wrote:
Jack wrote:
Guest wrote:
justinvacula wrote:Lol PZ Myers suggests I 'wallow in drama.' How about him?
he creates the drama of course

but YOU wallow in it

asshole
You should capitalise the first letters of a sentence or it makes you look silly. Anyway come join us, or are you scared of being auto banned in that hive of justice and freedom?

If you have a beef I'm sure we are more than happy to discuss it.
There's a certan A plusser who has a particular aversion to capitalising the first letter in his sentences. Just as he has a particular aversion to being a useful member of society.

I think he finds rampant capitalisation oppressive:

http://setarelven.tumblr.com/

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Ha-haaa! Twitter account suspended again!

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Tigzy wrote:Ha-haaa! Twitter account suspended again!
Have you been tweeting @ them?

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

franc wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:
comslave wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:Welcome Southern! I love Brazil! Well I've never been to Brazil but a lot of my favorite porn comes from there.

Queue Sir Mix-a-lot.
I'm gay, and Brazil has some of the best gay porn out there, although I hear a lot of the actors are just "gay for pay".
Brazil has also usurped Germany and Japan's crowns as scat capital of the world. 2 girls, 1 cup is an MFX video production - and from the tamer end of their offerings.
You know I've still never seen that. I've seen lots of videos of people going "Eww!" while watching it though.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

@Strawkins

Only Ellenbeth Wachs. It has also come after the recent 'upgrade' to the bot - where the peeps involved were invited to sign up for a 'new level' of protection, or something. Once again, the suspension was for aggressive following - which I ain't been doing!

Anyways, I made sure twitter knew about the Bot in my appeal. The problem with the block bot is that when people on the list get suspended, any appeals are also likely to bring twitter's attention to the block bot - which itself could possibly be in violation of twitter's TOS, in that mass unfollowing utilities are prohibited. It all depends if they consider mass blocking to be pretty much the same as mass unfollowing.

Outwest

Post by Outwest »

welch wrote:
She'll comment. She has to at this point. And yes, it'll be about her and is probably why we haven't seen it yet. She's trying to come up with something magnanimous to say, about herself of course, that doesn't piss off her cohorts.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Tigzy wrote:@Strawkins

Only Ellenbeth Wachs. It has also come after the recent 'upgrade' to the bot - where the peeps involved were invited to sign up for a 'new level' of protection, or something. Once again, the suspension was for aggressive following - which I ain't been doing!
I never directly tweet at Ellenbeth Wachs.

For some strange reason I'm able to get her full attention without contacting her.

http://i.imgur.com/asqWypD.jpg

Southern

Post by Southern »

franc wrote: Brazil has also usurped Germany and Japan's crowns as scat capital of the world. 2 girls, 1 cup is an MFX video production - and from the tamer end of their offerings.
I didn't know that... I suppose you really have to go outside to fully appreciate some things about your home.

But I'm not surprised. After all, Brazil has the biggest Japanese-descent population outside Japan since 1908, and Germans colonized the souther part of Brazil in the 19th century. It's only natural...

Remick

Post by Remick »

welch wrote: So every school day, in every school and every town hall in the country, there's a multi-hour presentation that the kids have to attend about RadFem. No math. no history, no English, no nothing. Just six hours of RadFem a day.

Wow. Because none of that happened the ENTIRE TIME MY SON WAS IN SCHOOL. In three states.

I guess Massachusetts, Missouri and FL are centers of enlightenment?
Well, Massachusetts is....

masakari2012

Post by masakari2012 »

Dick Strawkins wrote:

For some strange reason I'm able to get her full attention without contacting her.

HAHA! That's great!

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Dick Strawkins wrote: I never directly tweet at Ellenbeth Wachs.

Gee... wonder why that is...
:lol:

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

That's probably because you're one of the voices in her head.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Tigzy wrote:

The one that says:
"Go on Ellenbeth, tweet something stupid!"?

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

Tigzy wrote:

Your neurotypicalism is appalling.

Southern

Post by Southern »

Dick Strawkins wrote:

When they do it to others, it's fighting for social justice.

When the others do it to them, it's bullying and harassing.

Go figure. Maybe you guys aren't whining loud enough. You should all take some classes with Professor Setar on how to do it properly.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Tigzy wrote:

The one that says:
"Go on Ellenbeth, tweet something stupid!"?
That fact that unfalsifiable theories often hold no weight still doesn't prevent me from being faintly chilled by the idea that reality might actually be a confabulation cooked up by EllenBeth Wach's fevered psyche.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

welch wrote:
It's one of the things that radfems have teamed up with fundies on. Both hate sexual freedom, although for different reasons. The goal was the same though when it came to trying to eliminate all sex work. They teamed up in promoting anti-sexworker laws.

The sex worker community on youtube put out a lot of videos about the strange bedfellows in 2010. I'll take a quick look and see if I can find a few examples...

... argh. Most of them have made their old vids private. And the remaining ones don't have descriptive enough titles to find the ones I'm looking for quickly enough. But, anyways, they showed a number of teaming ups that the feminists did with the fundies regarding laws concerning sex.

Dave

Post by Dave »

Scented Nectar wrote:Even just reading the wiki article on her, it's noted that she influenced some really sexphobic anti-porn laws here in Canada some years ago. I'm not sure if they've been released yet.
As is often said in response to wikipedia, citation needed. Ive looked over the Butler decision and I do not see where the brief she supposedly co-wrote is quoted extensively. She is not listed as a quoted author, nor is she listed as having filed a brief. Moreover, in their joint press-release on the Butler case, (http://www.nostatusquo.com/ACLU/dworkin ... anada.html) Dworkin and MacKinnon explicitly state that Canada has NOT adopted their approach on Civil Rights and Pornography. Indeed, reading further, it appears the Dworkin and MacKinnon were split on the merits of LEAF's approach. (MacKinnon helped, Dworkin opposed, but contrary to the wikipedia article, MacKinnon is not listed as a co-author of the LEAF brief, nor does the LEAF brief appear to be extensively quoted in the decision.) After all that, Im counting this as fairly dubious.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Right, so Ophelia posted this, in response to something Stephanie said in response to Justin Vacula. In it, Justin gives his suggestions on how to avoid squabbles.

Then Stephanie posts this where she references a video made by Justin outlining those suggestions again. These are the suggestions given,
Here are some tips, anyway, for Rebecca and anyone who faces criticism/hate to reduce the criticism/hate:
Do not directly or indirectly engage with dissenters.
Avoid commenting on websites of your ideological opponents.
Refrain from attacking individuals; stick to criticism of ideas rather than persons.
Consider how people might respond to what you write. Can something be reframed so as to not lead to undesirable criticism?
Avoid sharing content when experiencing heightened emotions (great anger, disgust, stress, etc)
Consider sharing something with friends before it becomes public. A second (or third) set of eyes might suggest helpful edits which would avoid negative feedback.
In the comments on the second article by Zvan, EllenBeth chimes in saying this,
Same ole shit, “bitches be asking for it”
and this,
He is tweeting at me now that , of course, it’s my fault. “Shut the fuck up and you won’t get harassed.”
Also this gem- Talking about sexism = behaving like a “tool”
Which is funny. Very funny, because in effect Justin is not anything different that EllenBeth herself said some months before.

viewtopic.php?p=27338#p27338

http://i.imgur.com/zccQ0.jpg

Huh. If you're still lurking, EllenBeth, any chance you can address this discrepancy?

Southern

Post by Southern »

Pitchguest wrote:Right, so Ophelia posted this, in response to something Stephanie said in response to Justin Vacula. In it, Justin gives his suggestions on how to avoid squabbles.

Then Stephanie posts this where she references a video made by Justin outlining those suggestions again. These are the suggestions given,
Here are some tips, anyway, for Rebecca and anyone who faces criticism/hate to reduce the criticism/hate:
Avoid commenting on websites of your ideological opponents.
Refrain from attacking individuals; stick to criticism of ideas rather than persons.
Consider how people might respond to what you write. Can something be reframed so as to not lead to undesirable criticism?
Avoid sharing content when experiencing heightened emotions (great anger, disgust, stress, etc)
Consider sharing something with friends before it becomes public. A second (or third) set of eyes might suggest helpful edits which would avoid negative feedback.
In the comments on the second article by Zvan, EllenBeth chimes in saying this,
Same ole shit, “bitches be asking for it”
and this,
He is tweeting at me now that , of course, it’s my fault. “Shut the fuck up and you won’t get harassed.”
Also this gem- Talking about sexism = behaving like a “tool”
Which is funny. Very funny, because in effect Justin is not anything different that EllenBeth herself said some months before.

viewtopic.php?p=27338#p27338

http://i.imgur.com/zccQ0.jpg

Huh. If you're still lurking, EllenBeth, any chance you can address this discrepancy?
It's simple:

[youtube]eJ8taROu6BY[/youtube]

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

John Brown wrote:
welch wrote:

Wait, what? Is there a link for that no condom pledge?
Here's a video about it.

[youtube]t1gXFD4CAT4[/youtube]

If you go to the video's youtube page, , underneath in the "about" section (click 'show more'), there are quite a few links about the pledge, including a wiki page.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Metalogic42 wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
cunt wrote:
Gefan wrote:
cunt wrote:Poor Setar, life has been tough for him. Maybe he could re-train as a plumber and out-earn PZ.
When I read Setar I'm embarrassed to admit I probably thought similarly at around age thirteen. I don't know how old Setar is but he's clearly, chronologically, an adult. What's astonishing, and rather frightening is that people with that level of immaturity are running around loose with full adult rights and a pathological aversion to responsibility of any kind.
Roth throws a screaming tantrum at a T-Shirt and runs home crying. Hensley fakes a nervous breakdown because of internet push-back and retires (again) to bed while taking a momentary break from self-inflicted social media drama to download disability application forms. Setar demands more handouts because, well, I don't know. College was too hard?
How did we get this far as a species?
Well he complains about how unfair Canada is. I can't shake the idea that in most civilisations throughout history Setar would probably be rotting in a ditch by now.
Canada's one of the best countries as far as services for the disabled go, including a disability type of welfare (and which is for more money than ordinary welfare). All doctor visits are covered for all Canadians. Hospital stays and operations, too. And if you're on disability welfare (or regular welfare), all your prescriptions, dental work, and eye exams are free too.

I'm betting that the real story behind Setar, is that he's not *doctor-confirmed* sick with anything legit enough for permanent disability, but he wishes he was. Has probably convinced himself that he's horribly deprived of his rights, but unless a REAL doctor says he's permanently disabled, he's not going to get any disability benefits. And he's not going to get his "I'm so mentally sick..." victim cred.

Setar said: "Because I am in semi-poverty, I cannot afford the psychiatric or therapeutic help I need to function properly, except through my abusive family"
This is bullshit. Psychiatrist visits are fully covered, but you must go to a real one, not some self-declared "therapist" giving you new age woo like rebirthing or hypnosis. There may be a waiting list of a few months, but once you start seeing the (real!) doctor, you continue on a regular basis (no further waiting). There are medications for anxiety that work pretty well. Does Setar have anything against those? Does he have a belief that it's "big bad pharma" or something? Maybe a belief that psychiatrists only prescribe bad medicines? I'm guessing he does, and if so, he's a hypocrite, self medicating with weed but refusing to see a (real!) psychiatrist and getting the prescribed meds that are specifically designed for mental comforting in cases of anxiety.
It should also be noted that he can afford Skyrim, a computer that can run Skyrim, pot, doritos, clothing without holes that fits, corrective lenses, shoes, hair care products, and boxcutters.

He should not even be playing Skyrim. Objectification of women and all that!

windy

Post by windy »

awww, hermit is so precious. I haven't seen tut-tutting like this since the accommodationism debate!
hermit wrote:Yes decius, and that’s precisely what these women are being subjected to, while you and your slymepit buddies join in the fun with your cheerleading forum. And you’re happy to participate in communicating those offensive messages, aren’t you?

“Some of our stuff gets retweeted ad nauseam and it’s pretty cool to watch the babboons squirm.

“They block us anyway, but they cannot avoid reading messages sent to #ftbullies or #atheismplus, if they frequent the hashtags.”

So I’ll ask you again, do you really think sending deliberately offensive and demeaning messages to people (as you advocate doing there) is helpful in building a more open, welcoming community?
Has this person ever actually read anything on FtB or Skepchick?? And wasn't the ftbullies hashtag hijacked by FtB to mock their critics?

nice of you to pop in here between showers, hermit, you dirty boy :D

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Tigzy wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
Tigzy wrote:There's a certan A plusser who has a particular aversion to capitalising the first letter in his sentences. Just as he has a particular aversion to being a useful member of society.

Probably the result of some horribly oppressive English teacher trying to tell him what to do. Poor Setar!

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Scented Nectar, your description of services provided by Canadian Health Insurance is both simplistic and inaccurate in that you seem to either ignore, or be unaware, that the plan is provincial, not federal, and each province offers different servies. In BC, an individual is required to sign on to the HIBC plan, and there is a variable monthly charge depending on several factors including family size (if applicable), and income level. Note that routine doctor's visits are not free for anything not considered an immediate medical neccesity.

The following services are provided, or not, dependent on specific circumstances, and there is often a great challenge in getting dotors to refer one to a required professional:

Provided:

- Medically-required services of a physician, or of a specialist (such as a surgeon, anaesthetist or psychiatrist -- not a counsellor or psychologist) when referred by a physician.
- Maternity care by a physician, or by a specialist when referred by a physician.
- Diagnostic x-ray and laboratory services when ordered by a physician, podiatrist, dental surgeon or oral surgeon.
- Dental and oral surgery when medically required to be performed in a hospital surgical podiatry.

Not Provided:

- Routine physical examinations performed for reasons other than medical necessity. **Note: Patients may be charged an additional amount if the practitioner’s fee is higher than the amount payable by MSP.
- Medical examinations, certificates or tests required for life insurance, a driver’s licence, school, immigration, employment, etc..
- Cosmetic surgery for the alteration of appearance.
- Restorative or other dental work performed in a dental office.
- Eyeglasses, hearing aids, and other equipment or appliances.
- The services of counsellors or psychologists.
- Routine eye examinations for beneficiaries between the ages of 19 and 64.
- Chiropractic, physiotherapy, naturopathy, massage therapy, acupuncture, and non-surgical podiatry services for persons not receiving premium assistance.

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

The only "advice" item posted by Vacula that I have any qualms about is this one:
Should be something like: "Do not continue to engage dissenters once you have made your point(s) and/or the dissenters stop discussing points and start getting personal. "

Or words to that effect.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Oh, and Greta Christina?

http://freethoughtblogs.com/greta/2013/ ... free-pass/

If comedy does not get a free pass, then why is it that some of it gets a free pass? Or more specifically, "comedy" on "your side" of the aisle.

Ophelia Benson uses a sexist epithet according to her own principles and then later categorizes it as a "joke."

Then, of course, there's the infamous Tethys remark where he/she said, "I WILL cut you, abear, you stupid fucking troll" with the aforementioned description of brandishing two (virtual) broken beer bottles, which Chris Clarke decided to marginalize with this response,

http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/3391 ... edited.jpg

But of course, I realise, it's the same old canard, isn't it? One rule for you, another for everyone else.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

How did that happen?

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Dick Strawkins wrote:

That would be due to her vanity search of her name. I didn't directly tweet her the other day and she flipped out on me :)

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

And yes, I am going to milk that Chris Clarke quote for as long as I can. If you think you can get away with categorizing things as jokes again while chastizing others for doing the same, you have another thing coming.

Especially since he not only marginalize the "threat", but he also insinuates the person's too dimwitted or "acting in insufficient good faith" to comprehend it's a joke. A bit of ableism tossed in good for measure. Brilliant.

No, Greta Christina, I will not join in your humourless condemnation of Seth McFarlane to satisfy your attention seeking. Instead of wasting your money on the TV license that was clearly wrought from you watching the horrible Oscar performance you were forced to sit through, that money could have gone to another pair of Fluevogs. I weep for your sake.

John Brown

Post by John Brown »

Scented Nectar wrote: Here's a video about it.

[youtube]t1gXFD4CAT4[/youtube]

If you go to the video's youtube page, , underneath in the "about" section (click 'show more'), there are quite a few links about the pledge, including a wiki page.
Wowzers! I just subbed to her channel. Thanks for the link.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

ReneeHendricks wrote:
How did that happen?
Most likely the result of getting re-blocked by the block bot owing to the recent 'update' which required the users to, er, re-block. I wrote something here at the time about it, and did wonder if it would result in new suspensions. Tis probable that my wonderings were correct...

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Re: who - me?

Post by Jan Steen »

Apples wrote:Where did PZ get the impression that straight-up denial of well-documented reality is an effective debating technique? He's hanging out with EllenBeth Wacks too much:
Peezus wrote:Hmmm. I think Harris’s reputation as an illiberal advocate for atrocious policies long preceded any of my criticisms of his positions, and I suspect that the commenters here could make a far better indictment of Harris than he can a defense.
In other words: feed him to the piranhas. But Peezus has no beef with Harris, no sir.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Tigzy wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:
How did that happen?
Most likely the result of getting re-blocked by the block bot owing to the recent 'update' which required the users to, er, re-block. I wrote something here at the time about it, and did wonder if it would result in new suspensions. Tis probable that my wonderings were correct...
As they *STUPIDLY AND WITHOUT ANY FUCKING REASON* have my work account on that block list, if I find it suspended, asses will be burned. Just sayin'.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Scented Nectar wrote:
Tigzy wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
Tigzy wrote:There's a certan A plusser who has a particular aversion to capitalising the first letter in his sentences. Just as he has a particular aversion to being a useful member of society.

Probably the result of some horribly oppressive English teacher trying to tell him what to do. Poor Setar!
A Pharyngula baboon named Ichthyic does it too (he's the one who lied that he had been banned from Why Evolution is True, when in reality he flounced because he didn't like Jerry Coyne's commenting policy).

welch

Post by welch »

ReneeHendricks wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:

That would be due to her vanity search of her name. I didn't directly tweet her the other day and she flipped out on me :)
That's why I never directly address any of them. Oh, I talk about them plenty, but directly? Nah. If they want that shit, they can just initiate it. And then when they complain, oh look, screenshot time.

It won't make a difference to True Believersâ„¢, but for others, there's lulz, and it makes them do the thing they hate most of all:

Some form of work.

John Brown

Post by John Brown »

welch wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:

That's why I never directly address any of them. Oh, I talk about them plenty, but directly? Nah. If they want that shit, they can just initiate it. And then when they complain, oh look, screenshot time.

It won't make a difference to True Believersâ„¢, but for others, there's lulz, and it makes them do the thing they hate most of all:

Some form of work.
I think I shall be following this piece of advice from now on. I give in to the temptation to @ someone far too often. Though, I do find it hilarious when someone says something publicly and then gets 100% butt-hurt when people actually dare to respond to them.

debaser71

Post by debaser71 »

Remick wrote:
welch wrote: So every school day, in every school and every town hall in the country, there's a multi-hour presentation that the kids have to attend about RadFem. No math. no history, no English, no nothing. Just six hours of RadFem a day.

Wow. Because none of that happened the ENTIRE TIME MY SON WAS IN SCHOOL. In three states.

I guess Massachusetts, Missouri and FL are centers of enlightenment?
Well, Massachusetts is....
Hey welch, you cunt, I'm talking about "under god".

Engaging with you is like engaging with religious nutters and FTBers.

And, btw, Florida drinking water is terrible. And they'll never make good pizza or bagels because of it.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Tigzy wrote:
BTW - seems we have a contingent of South Americans here. Shall we make the pit a more welcoming place for them by talking about the Colombian drugs trade and neo-imperialist US incursions?
The Slymo Pito?

comslave

Post by comslave »

John Brown wrote:

So if I understand the criticism correctly, if you tell your daughters to not pass out drunk at midnight while wearing a miniskirt in the heart of downtown, you're a victim blamer. I was trying to come up with some snarky, rapey joke comment for this idea, but I'm just to disgusted by the lack of personal responsibility.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Jan Steen wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
Tigzy wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:

A Pharyngula baboon named Ichthyic does it too (he's the one who lied that he had been banned from Why Evolution is True, when in reality he flounced because he didn't like Jerry Coyne's commenting policy).
I remember that. Ichthyic acted like a raging petulant child. It was funny. And you're right, he in no way got banned.