The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Old subthreads
Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Post by Gumby »

Pitchguest wrote:
Tkmlac wrote:Hi 'Pit!

Just finished two ten-hour shifts split by a nine-hour overnight (and they say I'm nothing but a lazy liberal, but I digress). Decided to skip ahead instead of spend the NEXT thirty hours catching up!

What'd I miss?
Well, we were laughing along with Ophelia's latest attention wank, where she made light about people getting acid thrown in their face and comparing it to her own situation within the atheist community when Jerry Conlon -- now in the future referred to as "nincompoop" -- fucked it up by actually, while joking about it, making a maybe threat about throwing acid in her face.

And we are facepalming so hard right now. Jerry, if you're out there: you damn fool. You gave her what she wanted. :doh:
And it was just plain fucking wrong to do, whether or not she was happy to get what she wanted. And of course, he will now and forever be branded a "Slymepitter" by Peezus and O, even though there isn't a single person here that would ever condone what he tweeted. Fuck.

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

Improbable Joe wrote:
I’m sure your stalkers all totally don’t agree with what that person said on Twitter about pouring acid in your face, and they’ll make a concerted effort to condemn it.

Oh, wait… they’ll call it a “joke” and mock you for taking it seriously. Because they’re really awesome people, and that’s what awesome people do when this sort of thing happens.
Pitchguest wrote: And we are facepalming so hard right now. Jerry, if you're out there: you damn fool. You gave her what she wanted. :doh:
HoneyWagon wrote:To any FTBers, you know this guy is not serious, but for the record, I think he was a stupid asshole for even writing it.
Gumby wrote:Yeah, what a fuckin' moron. You're not helping, Conlon.
Al Steffanelli wrote: Jesus fucking Christ, that was absolutely deplorable...
Yeah, we're totally not condemning it...

sacha

Post by sacha »

ERV wrote:Still had the tab open-- Shermers article:
[spoiler]
ERV wrote:
A Guy Thing? Secularism, Feminism, and a Response to Ophelia Benson
Michael Shermer

When I got involved in the skeptical, atheist, and secular movements in the 1980s, one looked out over the audience and saw mostly old white guys. Today it is a different picture entirely. At the last Skeptics Society lecture at Caltech on December 16, for example, an audience of three hundred was roughly fifty-fifty men and women, with a broad range of ages from college students to octogenarians. At the last several instances of The Amazing Meeting (TAM) in Las Vegas—the largest gathering of skeptics and atheists in the world—there have been almost as many women speakers as men and around 40 percent women attendees.

Prominent women atheists write powerful books, such as Greta Christina’s 2012 Why Are You Atheists So Angry: 99 Things That Piss Off the Godless, which I just listened to on audio, laughing my ass off and wishing I had come up with such poignant arguments. There are notable women skeptics, such as Carol Tavris, who has re-engineered introductory psychology textbooks to include skeptical principles throughout (see, for example, her own introduction to psychology textbook coauthored with Carole Wade).

Exceptional women physicians de­bunk alternative medicine quackery, such as Harriet Hall, MD, widely known and highly regarded as the SkepDoc. Women skeptics have created organizations to encourage more participation by women in secular communities, such as Rebecca Watson’s Skepchicks (I even posed for her Skepdudes calendar!). My friend and colleague Jennifer McCreight, whom I have encouraged to go on for her PhD, has pushed secular student groups to get more women students involved on campuses throughout the United States. For years, the brilliant Ellen Johnson headed American Atheists. Annie Laurie Gaylor’s Freedom From Religion Founda­tion has called attention to the hateful actions of religion against women. The executive director of the Richard Dawkins Founda­tion is Elisabeth Cornwell, a PhD evolutionary psychologist who writes and speaks brilliantly on all matters secular. Robynn McCarthy coanchors (with Derek Colanduno) the biweekly podcast Skep­ticality, the official podcast of the Skeptics Society. There are distinguished women columnists in skeptical, atheist, and human­ist magazines, such as Karen Stollz­now in my Skeptic magazine (along with Harriet Hall’s regular column there) and Ophelia Benson in FREE INQUIRY. And last but not least, there is the cofounder of the Skeptics Society and Skeptic magazine, Pat Linse, who also developed Jr. Skeptic magazine and has for twenty years produced world-class illustrations in support of secular issues and been a powerful force for skepticism.

This is the tip of the iceberg. Google “women in atheism” and you’ll find hundreds more examples, emblematic of how far we’ve come toward gender equality in just a quarter-century and of how much there is to celebrate.

Let me provide another example of moral progress that at first will seem counterintuitive. It involves a McCarthy-like witch hunt within secular communities to root out the last vestiges of sexism, racism, and bigotry of any kind, real or imagined. Although this unfortunate trend has produced a backlash against itself by purging from its ranks the likes of such prominent advocates as Richard Dawkins and Sam Harris, I contend that this is in fact a sign of moral progress. Less than a century ago, women were not even allowed to vote. Less than half a century ago, women were blatantly discriminated against in the workplace. As I mentioned, a quarter-century ago, the secular, atheist, and skeptical movements scarcely included any women. Today, even as a plethora of women openly, freely participate in—or lead—secular organizations, much ink and emotion are spilled over trivial slips of the tongue that allegedly reveal hidden biases and unconscious prejudices.

To date, I have stayed out of this witch hunt against our most prominent leaders, thinking that “this too shall pass.” Perhaps I should have said something earlier. As Martin Niemöller famously warned about the inactivity of German intellectuals during the rise of the Nazi party, “first they came for ...” but “I didn’t speak out because I wasn’t a....”

When self-proclaimed secular feminists attacked Richard Dawkins for a seemingly innocent response to an equally innocent admonishment to guys by Rebecca Watson (the founder of Skepchicks) that it isn’t cool to hit on women in elevators, this erupted into what came to be known as “Elevator­gate.” I didn’t speak out because I figured that an intellect as formidable as Richard Dawkins’s did not need my comparatively modest brainpower in support.

When these same self-described secular feminists went after Sam Harris for a commentary supporting racial profiling in the search for terrorists, again I didn’t speak out. When Harris wrote, “If my daughter one day reads in my obituary that her father ‘was persistently dogged by charges of racism and bigotry,’ unscrupulous people like P.Z. Myers will be to blame,” I thought to myself: “Don’t worry about it, Sam. Your work is for the ages. PZ Myers’s work is for the minutes—the half-life measure of blogs relative to books.”

But perhaps I should have spoken out, because now the inquisition has been turned on me, by none other than one of the leading self-proclaimed secular feminists whose work has heretofore been important in the moral progress of our movement. I have already responded to this charge against me elsewhere,* so I will only briefly summarize it here. Instead of allowing my inquisitors to force me into the position of defending myself (I still believe in the judicial principle of innocence until proven guilty), I shall use this incident to make the case for moral progress.

Here’s what happened: last summer I appeared on an online television show called The Point, hosted by Huffington Post chief science correspondent Cara Santa Maria, who invited me and two other men (Sean Carroll and Edward Falzon) to discuss atheism. In a Q&A following the main discussion, a male viewer asked: “Why isn’t the gender split closer to fifty-fifty as it should be?”

Santa Maria responded first: “In putting together this panel I had a hell of a time finding a woman who would be willing to sit on the panel with me to discuss her atheism. Why is that?”

She then turned to me. I said: “I think it probably really is fifty-fifty. It’s who wants to stand up and talk about it, go on shows about it, go to conferences and speak about it, who’s intellectually active about it; you know, it’s more of a guy thing.”** I then followed this up by noting that at the 2012 TAM, there had been more women speakers than men. In that I misspoke slightly; according to TAM organizer D.J. Grothe, the number of men and women speakers was equal (the roster on the web page is incorrect) until, ironically, Ophelia Benson herself dropped out. As for the sex ratio of attendees, there were 40 percent women in 2011 and 31 percent in 2012. Grothe speculated online that the anomalous downward shift might possibly be due to some of these very same secular feminists blogging about how skeptic or atheist events were not safe for women.

The other two panelists gave their answers, we moved on to the next topic, and I didn’t give it another thought until I read in Ophelia Benson’s article “Non­theism and Feminism: Why the Dis­con­nect?” (FI, December 2012/January 2013) that “atheism hasn’t always been very welcoming to women.” Why? Be­cause, Benson believes: “The main stereotype in play, let’s face it, is that women are too stupid to do nontheism. Unbelieving in God is thinky work, and women don’t do thinky, because ‘that’s a guy thing.’”

As evidence for this claim, Benson cites my ten-second comment, removing my preface that “I think it probably really is fifty-fifty,” as well as my observation that women are now near parity in both speakers and attendees at the largest skeptics/atheist conference in the world. However sexist “it’s a guy thing” might sound out of context (and redacted of qualification), it is clear from my answer that I do not believe that women are, in Benson’s characterization, “too stupid to do nontheism” or that “unbelieving in God is thinky work and women don’t do thinky.”

I don’t believe that for a moment, and in any case the evidence (as I outlined at the beginning of this essay) overwhelmingly demonstrates that women are more than capable of thinking, writing, speaking, and debating about God and theism. Unquestionably. Unequivocally. After reading Greta Christina’s book, for example, if I were a believer heading into a debate with her about God, I would be trembling in my boots as much as many theists I know were when they faced the great Christopher Hitchens.

So what did I mean by “it’s a guy thing”? Mostly it was just an observation of the way things were in the past (a bunch of old white guys) that is rapidly changing (the near-parity at TAM), and is in reality intellectually equal (“I think it probably really is fifty-fifty”). Yet since I wrote that explanation noted above, I have been pilloried as a sexist, misogynist, and bigot (with, thankfully, even more positive comments in support and against this secular witch hunt).

Why isn’t the sex ratio in secular, atheist, and skeptical communities perfectly fifty-fifty? I don’t know. If it were 51–49, would that be sexism or statistical noise? What about 55–45? What’s the number at which we define sexism? I don’t know. I asked Cara if she had given the matter further thought, and she replied as follows:

In my search for panelists on the show, I did reach out to a couple of high-profile female atheists local to Los Angeles, but none were available to join. We did receive a video comment from AJ Johnson, the Director of Development at American Athe­ists.

I don’t know why there seem to be more men in secular circles than women, or whether there truly are more men than women who proudly bear the atheist label. I do find that I get a lot of feedback from readers/viewers commending me on my “bravery” for speaking up as a female atheist. I’m not sure why I’m perceived as being any more brave than a man in doing so.

What I can say is whether it’s real or perceived, a gender bias does seem to exist in atheist/secular/humanist circles, but I’ve never known my friend and colleague Michael Shermer to contribute to this problem. He is, in my estimation, as pro-woman and pro-atheism as they come. [This final comment was unsolicited and I considered redacting it, but just in case there remains any doubt....]

I shall close with a warning about the propensity for social movements to turn on themselves in purges that distract from the original goals and destroy the movement from within. (I wrote about this effect in my book Why People Believe Weird Things, most notably with regards to Ayn Rand’s Objectivist movement, in which members were judged—and subsequently purged—for such trivial matters as liking the wrong music; in the end the movement was reduced to Rand and a handful of sycophants alone in her New York apartment.) As the aforementioned Harriet Hall e-mailed me, she “was vilified on Ophelia’s blog for not following a certain kind of feminist party line of how a feminist should act and think. And I was attacked there in a disturbingly irrational, nonskeptical way.” I asked her why she didn’t defend herself: “I did not dare try to explain my thinking on Ophelia’s blog, because it was apparent from the tone of the comments that anything I might say would be misinterpreted and twisted to use against me. I have always been a feminist but I have my own style of feminism. And I have felt more oppressed by these sort of feminists than by men, and far less welcome in that strain of feminism than in the atheist or skeptical communities.” As for why the sex ratio isn’t perfectly fifty-fifty, Hall noted: “I think it is unreasonable to expect that equal numbers of men and women will be attracted to every sphere of human endeavor. Science has shown that real differences exist. We should level the playing field and ensure there are no preventable obstacles, then let the chips fall where they may.”

If I had to conjecture why at this mo­ment there are not more women atheists and skeptics making public appearances on such television shows, it is probably a legacy of the past socialization de­fining what women are expected to do. But as I noted at the beginning of this essay, this is changing so rapidly that I doubt the necessity of witch hunts to root out any such remnants of sexism (because of the problem of false positives, in my case).

To conclude on a positive note, if the worst offense against women in secularism today is a ten-second quip taken out of context and redacted to the two-second line “it’s a guy thing” (which in any case was not meant to be sexist) then I would count that as evidence of significant moral progress deserving of celebration, not vilification.

*http://www.skeptic.com/eskeptic/12-12-12/#feature

**At the twelve-minute mark:
[/spoiler]

"As the aforementioned Harriet Hall e-mailed me, she “was vilified on Ophelia’s blog for not following a certain kind of feminist party line of how a feminist should act and think. And I was attacked there in a disturbingly irrational, nonskeptical way.” I asked her why she didn’t defend herself: “I did not dare try to explain my thinking on Ophelia’s blog, because it was apparent from the tone of the comments that anything I might say would be misinterpreted and twisted to use against me. I have always been a feminist but I have my own style of feminism. And I have felt more oppressed by these sort of feminists than by men, and far less welcome in that strain of feminism than in the atheist or skeptical communities.” As for why the sex ratio isn’t perfectly fifty-fifty, Hall noted: “I think it is unreasonable to expect that equal numbers of men and women will be attracted to every sphere of human endeavor. Science has shown that real differences exist. We should level the playing field and ensure there are no preventable obstacles, then let the chips fall where they may.”
Harriet Hall - Warrior Hero
If the worst offense against women in secularism today is a ten-second quip taken out of context and redacted to the two-second line “it’s a guy thing” (which in any case was not meant to be sexist) then I would count that as evidence of significant moral progress deserving of celebration, not vilification.
excellent closing statement

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

That Wowbagger has the wrong idea about the Slymepit is an understatement.
wowbaggerlol.jpg
(69.31 KiB) Downloaded 425 times

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Well, Wowbagger is already jumping on that "approved by the Slymepit" bandwagon:

"I don’t know; for something like that he’s likely to win the Slymepit’s ‘Heroic Freethinking Skeptic of the Year’ award, and be asked to join Skeptic Ink as their newest member. Justicar, Thunderfoot and NoelPlum99 will mention him as a fine fellow in their next 137 YouTube videos (about a week’s worth). Russell Blackford will buy him a drink and Jeremy Stangroom will ask him to be his wingman for his next big night on the town."

(from OB's latest post on her acid tweet)

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Damn, Pitch - you beat me to it :D

Plonk

Post by Plonk »

ReneeHendricks wrote:At any rate, his tweet was really not called for *and* he tried to be "funny" by saying he was talking about "alpha hydroxy". Whatever. Fucking idiot.
Here's a screencap of the alpha hydroxy comment
http://i.imgur.com/ePFYBlj.jpg
:?

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

ReneeHendricks wrote:Well, Wowbagger is already jumping on that "approved by the Slymepit" bandwagon:

"I don’t know; for something like that he’s likely to win the Slymepit’s ‘Heroic Freethinking Skeptic of the Year’ award, and be asked to join Skeptic Ink as their newest member. Justicar, Thunderfoot and NoelPlum99 will mention him as a fine fellow in their next 137 YouTube videos (about a week’s worth). Russell Blackford will buy him a drink and Jeremy Stangroom will ask him to be his wingman for his next big night on the town."

I'm on record here multiple times as stating posting on FtB is a waste of time, but I had to respond to Wowbagger. I basically told him to please leave us out of this because we're all currently over at the Pit saying what a horrible thing Jerry Conlon tweeted. If it makes it past moderation, I'm sure the usual suspects will jump all over it with their usual impeccable anti-logic. But I felt it needed to be said.

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

Jan Steen wrote: I only meant avoid sending twitter messages to them directly. They can too easily twist that into harrassment.
These were my tweets referring to an Ellen Beth Wachs incident that she said could amount to criminal harassment

Note: I am only Rocko2466 - I was receiving tweets and she blamed me lol

http://i.imgur.com/9fjwr.jpg

I said to her (when she accused me of it on MichaelNugent.com) “It’s not attacking someone to receive a tweet about them”

She responded "Oh, it not only can be perceived as attacking someone. It can be perceived as criminally attacking them."

Crazy will say whatever crazy wants.

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

On a totally unrelated related note-- the best AHAs and BHAs come from a company based in Seattle, 'Paulas Choice'. Dont buy anything full priced-- they always have some kind of sale going, but all of their products are made in the US, fragrance free, proper pH for the acids to work, I LOVE THEM. Just using PC products cleared up my acne just as well/better than the topical antibiotics I had been using (and dealing with resistance issues), and Im not even using the acne line. If any of you are in the market for a great skincare line, its Paulas Choice. I literally havent bought a product I havent loved.

Ive been meaning to do a 'Saturday Shillery' post on them since I saw an ad for them on Skeptic Ink :D Skeptic Ink has non-psychotic advertisements, unlike 'other' skeptic networks...

16bitheretic

Post by 16bitheretic »

Wowbagger is an idiot.

This is a comedy site, nobody here that I've seen wants to harm people physically. As far as Justicar, NoelPlum99 and Thunderf00t, I watch the videos made by all 3 of those individuals and I see nothing to indicate any of them are the sort of violent primitives Wowbagger seems to think they are. Thunder and NoelPlum usually post some rather well thought out points and Justicar mocks the doublespeak and hypocrisy of FTBloggers and their allies with the same fervor seen here on the Pit. Oh yeah, I guess disagreeing with the FTB party line makes all those who hold antagonizing views mentioned a violent mob or something.

And Jerry Conlon, you can go fuck yourself. Dumbshit.

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

Can't help but notice that there is unanimous condemnation here of one idiotic tweet and that it's not entirely on the grounds of its tactical stupidity.
Reverse the roles and does anyone doubt we'd be treated to a frantic display of rationalizing, excuses, and in-group solidarity?

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

Mykeru wrote: And now douche-trying-to be-edgy's totally serious-ish acid-attack threat against Ophelia Benson (which she fished hard for, props) will enter into FTB mythology.
AND her baiting it - which is what she was trying to do - baiting a flippant remark on Twitter to retweet and blog about, has succeeded. AND that baiting will never get brought up.

So she'll show people and say "This guy's a slimepitter" - even though I don't think he actually is and they'll be able to keep more confused, part-time skeptics in their entourage. FFS.

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

Plonk wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:At any rate, his tweet was really not called for *and* he tried to be "funny" by saying he was talking about "alpha hydroxy". Whatever. Fucking idiot.
Here's a screencap of the alpha hydroxy comment
http://i.imgur.com/ePFYBlj.jpg
:?
http://alphahydroxyproducts.com
Alpha hydroxy acids in various concentrations are used in chemical peels. The concentration determines who can use it. Alpha hydroxy acid products sold to consumers must have a concentration of less than 10%. Trained cosmetologists can use alpha hydroxy acid products that have a concentration of 20% to 30%. These chemical peels give results that are similar to microdermabrasion - erasing fine lines and giving the skin a smoother appearance with 1 to 3 applications. However, these treatments must be repeated every 3 to 6 months to maintain this skin appearance.
From http://dermatology.about.com/cs/skincar ... /aha_2.htm

Even wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha-hydroxy_acid

I am still condemning the comment as tasteless given the context. However, I do suspect this guy thought he was making a totally witty remark by suggesting OB needed cosmetic skin care with a reasonably safe for skin acid. After all household vinegar contains some acetic acid as well.

Again, TASTELESS in large letters. Still I find it interesting no one looked it up yet.

Dan

Post by Dan »

Jerry Conlon this is how you mock Ophie without giving her victim points

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/ ... 613812.jpg

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Gefan wrote:Can't help but notice that there is unanimous condemnation here of one idiotic tweet and that it's not entirely on the grounds of its tactical stupidity.
It was a morally reprehensible thing that Jerry Conlon said. There were no "tactics" involved.

Thankfully, this was just an isolated incident, although it will no doubt be cast as "just another day at the office" by the FTB/Skepchick Professional Victim Society. And Conlon's garbage will no doubt be featured prominently featured on the Page-O-Hate (and for once, I wouldn't blame them for it, even if Conlon was just making an awful, awful joke).

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Bally Jerry pranged his kite right in the hows-your-father.
Hairy blighter, dicky-birdied, feathered back on his sammy, took a waspy, flipped over on his betty harpers and caught his can in the bertie.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

BTW, not that it'll make an ounce of difference to Cobweb Cunt, but there is not nor ever has been a Jerry Conlon or similar user name registered here.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Jerry Conlon is not, to my knowledge, a member here on the 'pit. Then again, nor have the other people who've allegedly said overly harsh things about them been 'pitters and they have just all of them been brushed broadly to one side.

In the end, though, "slymepitter" is simply their word for anything bad now. Doesn't matter their affiliation. If they're bad, they're 'pitters.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Michael K Gray wrote:Bally Jerry pranged his kite right in the hows-your-father.
Hairy blighter, dicky-birdied, feathered back on his sammy, took a waspy, flipped over on his betty harpers and caught his can in the bertie.
Agreed... I think. What?

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Gumby wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:Bally Jerry pranged his kite right in the hows-your-father.
Agreed... I think. What?
[youtube]5rKYL0tW-Ek[/youtube]

16bitheretic

Post by 16bitheretic »

Gefan wrote:Can't help but notice that there is unanimous condemnation here of one idiotic tweet and that it's not entirely on the grounds of its tactical stupidity.
Reverse the roles and does anyone doubt we'd be treated to a frantic display of rationalizing, excuses, and in-group solidarity?
You mean like how they all cry about harassment left and right from Twitter, blog comments, t-shirts and yet some still defend harassers like Greg Laden after he makes threats aimed at Justin Griffith, and there's excuses and victim blaming trotted out by the likes of Svan and Thibeault? You mean like they toss Vacula under a bus for "doxxing" and make him into a pariah when Watson and Laden have both doxxed people themselves, or at least tried to, and somehow that's totally different dontcha know?

Nah, they'd never be hypocritical about anything, what could possibly give one that idea?

And as far as tactics, well, Conlon being a dumbshit doesn't help any of those who associate with people the FTBloggers/A+/Skepchicks don't approve of, but the reality is Benson and others like her will always find some asshat to try and represent the group.

After all, according to those people we aren't individuals with varying opinions (OMG the Pit has feminists, MRAs and non-labelled posting together? THE HORROR!), rather we are one monolithic collective groupthink block of rapists, racists, misogynists, transphobic, cis-privileged, white-privileged, male chauvanist, chill girl, gender traitor sociopaths, amirite? They'll always try and find some way to paint us all with the same brush. If it wasn't dumbshit Conlon it would have been somebody else.

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

Gumby wrote:
It was a morally reprehensible thing that Jerry Conlon said. There were no "tactics" involved.

Thankfully, this was just an isolated incident, although it will no doubt be cast as "just another day at the office" by the FTB/Skepchick Professional Victim Society. And Conlon's garbage will no doubt be featured prominently featured on the Page-O-Hate (and for once, I wouldn't blame them for it, even if Conlon was just making an awful, awful joke).
I'm not disputing that it was reprehensible. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.
I'm also wondering, who the blue fuck is Jerry Conlon?

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Lsuoma wrote: 5rKYL0tW-Ek
Then my reaction was entirely appropriate.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Gefan wrote: I'm also wondering, who the blue fuck is Jerry Conlon?
Dunno. Usually skeptics or atheists who have made some sort of name for themselves are the ones who go by their real names on Twitter.

I found a youtube channel after a very quick search, but nothing else that would suggest this particular Jerry Conlon. Can't be bothered to dig too deep though. I already know he's a twat.

http://www.youtube.com/user/JerryConlon

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

Gumby wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:Well, Wowbagger is already jumping on that "approved by the Slymepit" bandwagon:

I'm on record here multiple times as stating posting on FtB is a waste of time, but I had to respond to Wowbagger. I basically told him to please leave us out of this because we're all currently over at the Pit saying what a horrible thing Jerry Conlon tweeted. If it makes it past moderation, I'm sure the usual suspects will jump all over it with their usual impeccable anti-logic. But I felt it needed to be said.
I did too. I posted as Danger Mouse using my real email address and signing off as Rocko2466 (just to get past the filter!)

Hi Ophelia

As you know, because you visit, the Slymepit has been roundly condemning this guy's stupid idea of a joke. I should also point out that he isn't a slymepitter (not that it would matter, because the Slymepit doesn't ban, which is why oolon is still around from time to time!)

I think you should also point out that the tweet is obviously a response to your article where you claimed that your getting criticised on the internet was akin to the plight of acid victims (which you conveniently have omitted from this article). The guy was poorly parodying your unjustified claim.

It is clearly not a threat.

I wish you wouldn't be so disingenuous. And I wish your commenters weren't such sheep.

Thanks Ophelia. I look forward to reading about your skeptic / philosophy material when you one day decide to return to it.

- Rocko2466

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Well, you know what? I would bet a metric shit-tonne that none of Douchebagger's predictions will come true. Not one...

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

I reckon Jerry Conlon is a fake account set up by one of the Baboon supporters. I wouldn't put it past them.

BTW, looking at Justin's FB page with much mirth, reminded me just how exposed Ophelia and all the other FfTB morons are when outside Baboon HQ. When they can't censor, moderate, memory hole and ban, they get slaughtered, and they flounce pretty quickly.

This is why I have said that if a forum outside of their control opens up, and it is possible to engage and respond with the Baboons - DO IT. Hit the boards and give them hell. Make them scarper back to the safety of their Baboon cages. Make them get a sense of reality - that the atheist and skeptic communities despise them.

Zenspace

Post by Zenspace »

Pitchguest wrote:This is how Ophelia Benson defends her lunacy,

Bravo, Prune. Bravo.
Whoa! I had no idea that OB was capable of such a deft, heartfelt and clearly considered rebuttal! :whistle:

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

Tkmlac wrote:
Mark Neil wrote:
Tkmlac wrote:Hi 'Pit!

Just finished two ten-hour shifts split by a nine-hour overnight (and they say I'm nothing but a lazy liberal, but I digress). Decided to skip ahead instead of spend the NEXT thirty hours catching up!

What'd I miss?
Still don't have it as bad as Ophelia

http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... -throwing/
Yeah, I saw that shit. UGH. And now that some asshole on twitter has said it to her, she can use that ONE TWEET to dispel any criticism against her for that horrible post.
That the tweet was a fucking disgrace stands on its own, regardless of whether Benson scores points off it.

Karmakin

Post by Karmakin »

Both the post and the tweet are both cut from the same cloth. Both are despicable, and both are making light of something horrific.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Cheers - (black and white film of old ladies clapping)

somedumbguy

Post by somedumbguy »

Just to be a prat, I am going to take a different attitude.

At some point, everyone will say something stupid, something they regret.

It's not my job to express regret, sorrow, disappointment, condemnation, expressions of shunning, or anything over something stupid someone else has said. An enemy of my enemy can probably go fuck himself all by himself. And besides I reject the whole stupid enemy dichotomy anyway.

I am not going to jump through Ophelia Benson's cavernous hoop just to properly distance myself from some numbnuts.

And an obvious non-threat is an obvious non-threat.

Now, if and when someone can point to Jerry Conlon being the leader of some movement I have pledged loyalty too, then yes, maybe his statements amount to more than a hill of beans.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

[spoiler]
16bitheretic wrote:
You mean like how they all cry about harassment left and right from Twitter, blog comments, t-shirts and yet some still defend harassers like Greg Laden after he makes threats aimed at Justin Griffith, and there's excuses and victim blaming trotted out by the likes of Svan and Thibeault? You mean like they toss Vacula under a bus for "doxxing" and make him into a pariah when Watson and Laden have both doxxed people themselves, or at least tried to, and somehow that's totally different dontcha know?

Nah, they'd never be hypocritical about anything, what could possibly give one that idea?

And as far as tactics, well, Conlon being a dumbshit doesn't help any of those who associate with people the FTBloggers/A+/Skepchicks don't approve of, but the reality is Benson and others like her will always find some asshat to try and represent the group.

After all, according to those people we aren't individuals with varying opinions (OMG the Pit has feminists, MRAs and non-labelled posting together? THE HORROR!), rather we are one monolithic collective groupthink block of rapists, racists, misogynists, transphobic, cis-privileged, white-privileged, male chauvanist, chill girl, gender traitor sociopaths, amirite? They'll always try and find some way to paint us all with the same brush. If it wasn't dumbshit Conlon it would have been somebody else.
[/spoiler]

Mark well these words: Meyers is grooming his audience for the return of Greg Laden to FfTB. I've seen a couple of mentions recently of the cunt in Meyers's posts, including one veiled reference where Meyers mentioned his own "testosterone-damaged" brain.

Personally, I can't fucking wait for it.

PS, where's Rystefn? Has he finally succumbed to massive cerebral oedema caused by headbutting nails into wood?

masakari2012

Post by masakari2012 »

somedumbguy, I totally agree.

Dan

Post by Dan »

CommanderTuvok wrote:I reckon Jerry Conlon is a fake account set up by one of the Baboon supporters. I wouldn't put it past them.

BTW, looking at Justin's FB page with much mirth, reminded me just how exposed Ophelia and all the other FfTB morons are when outside Baboon HQ. When they can't censor, moderate, memory hole and ban, they get slaughtered, and they flounce pretty quickly.

This is why I have said that if a forum outside of their control opens up, and it is possible to engage and respond with the Baboons - DO IT. Hit the boards and give them hell. Make them scarper back to the safety of their Baboon cages. Make them get a sense of reality - that the atheist and skeptic communities despise them.

I doubt it he has been following me on twitter for a few months. He only started tweeting a few week ago. I'd say he just made a stupid mistake.

Edina Monsoon

Post by Edina Monsoon »

I gotta say that when I read Benson blithely stomping all over genuine victims of assault just to shove them out of the way and grab the center stage, make it all about her and her petty little Internet squabbles, I was so furious I could easily have said something I'd regret. I had to get off the computer and go outside.

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

And apropros of nothing at all, I will leave this right here because I thought it was funny:

[youtube]tieA5wfcgH4[/youtube]

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Badger3k wrote:
Cheers - (black and white film of old ladies clapping)
[youtube]kt2qdgdoBQs[/youtube]

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

somedumbguy wrote:Just to be a prat, I am going to take a different attitude.

It's not my job to express regret, sorrow, disappointment, condemnation, expressions of shunning, or anything over something stupid someone else has said. An enemy of my enemy can probably go fuck himself all by himself. And besides I reject the whole stupid enemy dichotomy anyway.

I am not going to jump through Ophelia Benson's cavernous hoop just to properly distance myself from some numbnuts.

Now, if and when someone can point to Jerry Conlon being the leader of some movement I have pledged loyalty too, then yes, maybe his statements amount to more than a hill of beans.
Fucking A+ post, Dummy. You now have the honour of having contributed a tagline to the pit...

rayshul unplugged

Post by rayshul unplugged »

[spoiler]
somedumbguy wrote:Just to be a prat, I am going to take a different attitude.

[/spoiler]

I agree. I also feel that she was fishing for that kind of response to justify her post. If you compare yourself to an acid attack victim because someone is mean to you on the internet, you're going to get emotional, angry responses. It's a shame Jerry got fucked off enough to tweet that at her because it gives her ammunition, but at the same time, as somedumbguy points out, it's fuck all to do with me.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Conlon's tweet was reprehensible and vile, but Wowbagger et al.'s mendacious accusations aren't much better. Twitter truly is a medium through which one can be hoisted by one's own petard.

For Ophelia and all the other disingenuous FtB attention whores: I've never threatened anyone in my life, and don't own any weapons more dangerous than a polo mallet, a collection of tiny double-pointed needles for knitting socks, and two fluffy little dogs that collectively weigh less than 25 pounds. If I could get the time off work to travel, I certainly wouldn't waste it attending unproductive skeptics/atheists meetings dominated by you and your paranoid, boring, self-involved ilk.

cunt

Post by cunt »

Conlon's tweet was reprehensible and vile, but Wowbagger et al.'s mendacious accusations aren't much better
Wowbagger was the "die in a fire" idiot too.

comslave

Post by comslave »

justinvacula wrote:
Mykeru wrote:
Nope, they've always been that weird. "Dangerously close to being violent"? Where have I heard that before?

[spoiler]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8222/8376 ... 49ae_c.jpg[/spoiler]

Folks: It's a tactic. Get it?
The Slymepit has weapons of mass destruction, you say? The Slymepit is working on building nuclear weapons, you say?

What happens in my garage stays in my garage. :hand:

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

cunt wrote:
Conlon's tweet was reprehensible and vile, but Wowbagger et al.'s mendacious accusations aren't much better
Wowbagger was the "die in a fire" idiot too.
Lovely. I hope it lives far away from me.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

welch wrote:One reason I love my job: photobomb at Friday beer cart!

http://instagr.am/p/UpC7XygfW8/
Welch reveals his inner "woman".

http://i.imgur.com/r3P9Jhg.jpg

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

comslave wrote:
justinvacula wrote:
The Slymepit has weapons of mass destruction, you say? The Slymepit is working on building nuclear weapons, you say?

What happens in my garage stays in my garage. :hand:
Way back in the mid-Aughties, you could type "weapons of mass destruction" into Google, click the "I'm feeling lucky" button, and a "Page Not Found" error message would appear, with the text changed to something like The weapons of mass destruction could not be found ....

Now that's my kind of prank.

mordacious1

Darn

Post by mordacious1 »

I see Corylus stopped by earlier, I missed my chance to ask her what a nice person like her is doing in a slymepit like this. I remember when she tried talking to Ophie and her minions some time ago and they jumped all over her, which is stupid of them because she's a calm, rational person who discusses issues in an adult manner (unlike me, who approaches things as an adolescent would). I tried to find my comments about Ophie on RD.net, but it seems they were removed. OB has a habit of emailing moderators and complaining about "personal attacks". I remember when she was bothering Richard about the "C' word on his site. I think he respected her back then, I wonder if he still does. I know I don't, but Richard's probably too busy to give her much thought.

Axel

Post by Axel »

*de-activate lurk mode*
Here is an important lesson to remember, since character assassination is the name of the game, anything you say will be used against you.
*re-activate lurk mode*

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

BarnOwl wrote:Twitter truly is a medium through which one can be hoisted by one's own petard.
Maybe so, but what about being hoisted by...

[spoiler]http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lbulg ... o1_500.jpg

One sewn Picard.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]I'm so, so sorry for that one. But I had to.[/spoiler]

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Metalogic42 wrote:
BarnOwl wrote:Twitter truly is a medium through which one can be hoisted by one's own petard.

[spoiler]http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lbulg ... o1_500.jpg

One sewn Picard.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]I'm so, so sorry for that one. But I had to.[/spoiler]
ST:TNG jokes are awesome!

aweraw

Post by aweraw »

I've noticed they've started refering to the 'mildewpit' instead of 'slimepit'. I'm devastated.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Metalogic42 wrote:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lbulg ... o1_500.jpg

One sewn Picard.
That's Jean-Luc "Make It Sew" Picard.

acathode

Post by acathode »

Pitchguest wrote:That Wowbagger has the wrong idea about the Slymepit is an understatement.
[spoiler]
wowbaggerlol
[/spoiler]
From a FTB POV, Wowbagger has the right idea. It's exactly how the FC(n) and Watson want to play this game, ignore the civil and rational criticism, while collecting and treasuring the vile and hateful comments they can find, building and reinforcing the mythos of how everyone who disagree with them are horrible, violent, misogynist slimepitters. Then turn around and smear all those people who politely made intellectual mincemeat out of the poorly constructed blogposts and arguments as being the same sort of people as the ones who made "rape threats" or "harassed and bullied".

It's a "get out of jail"-card for them, which allows them to completely ignore all valid criticism and instead just focusing on "the hate" while scoring even more victim points. All reasonable criticism of Benson comparing herself to acid-victims can now be safely ignored by just pointing to a really stupid and disgusting tweet. Not that they'd ever would address any reasonable criticism honestly, it's always going to be dishonestly misrepresented, straw-manned, and otherwise demonized, but this tweet really just handed them everything they wanted on a silver platter.

A good example of this tactic is btw Watson handling of her blog after Elevator Gate. Reasonable and civil disagreement was blocked and moderated on her blog, while the nasty and hateful comments were let through. It's politically a smart move, it gives the appearance that "your side" is the sane and reasonable one, while the "other side" is a frothing at the mouth, lunatic one, making any neutral newcomer automatically want to side with you, regardless of how poor or far removed from the facts your arguments are.

In some ways, as long as you don't become to obvious, the more outrageous, dishonest, or provocative your claims are, the better. You will get more hate, harsher hate, and more really stupid hate, all which can be used to make yourself look even better. Watson again provide a fine example with her "drunk sex = rape" tweet. It's basically political trolling.

CommanderTuvok: The guy's recent twitter history is still available in google's cache. If the acid "threat" had been his only post, I'd suspect it being a sock-account too, but there's nothing to suggest that. It seems a lot more likely it's just some stupid guy that said something rather stupid, possible under the influence of alcohol (considering the time and day).
Axel wrote:Here is an important lesson to remember, since character assassination is the name of the game, anything you say will be used against you.
You don't get it yet. The real game of character assassination they are playing is: anything someone else say will be used against you.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

aweraw wrote:I've noticed they've started refering to the 'mildewpit' instead of 'slimepit'. I'm devastated.
Linkie?

http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/aircr ... Xlarge.jpg needed.

cunt

Post by cunt »

About engaging them on their own boards. I don't see much of a problem with it, just don't use the same username you use here. Use a plausible email address and be polite. It's ridiculously easy to stir up the hoarde with sound polite argumentation and it makes PZ looks like a giant asshole when he has to pull out the ban hammer just to protect them from it. It can be a hell of a lot funnier than simply going in to post "you suck pz, lick my nuts you fat fuck" but you need the patience of a saint to pull it off.

See: Every noelplum99 thread on Pharyngula and Steersman's recent dismantling of their "it's a guy thing" is so horribly sexist argument on Braytons blog.

mordacious1

Barf

Post by mordacious1 »

I quit going over to buttflies and squeals due to their incessant twisting of the truth and outright lies, but was tempted to see how they were getting Ophie off the hook (about her outrageous acid post) after that Conlon comment. I found this:

Aratina Cage
January 18, 2013 at 3:03 pm (UTC -8)
PZ disclosed the part about the harassers targeting local businesses on his blog. The guy saying he would tap PZ’s shoulder was a new one on Twitter just yesterday, not Hoggle’s pocket-gift threat. And remember, we have already seen this kind of obsessive hatred against a few women lead to violence in the atheist community before, with Madalyn Murray-O’Hair. The atheist community should remember that and put an end to it immediately before it moves past the stage it is in right now. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madalyn_Mu ... nd_arrests It’s not a joke.
[bolding mine] That is BS. The guy who committed violence against O'Hair was someone working for AA who wanted to steal money and was mad about an article she had written about him. It was not a result of "obsessive hatred of women". He also murdered her son who wasn't, as far as I know, a woman at the time.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

I'm so glad that Peezus and all his toadying sycophants do all the heavy lifting for us.

Best. Spectator. Sport. Ever.

somedumbguy

Post by somedumbguy »

cunt wrote:About engaging them on their own boards. I don't see much of a problem with it, just don't use the same username you use here. Use a plausible email address and be polite. It's ridiculously easy to stir up the hoarde with sound polite argumentation and it makes PZ looks like a giant asshole when he has to pull out the ban hammer just to protect them from it. It can be a hell of a lot funnier than simply going in to post "you suck pz, lick my nuts you fat fuck" but you need the patience of a saint to pull it off.

See: Every noelplum99 thread on Pharyngula and Steersman's recent dismantling of their "it's a guy thing" is so horribly sexist argument on Braytons blog.
That's certainly what I try to do.

I am not going to do their work for them, and voluntarily banish myself.
I try to:

Write my comments with logic and supported argument
Remain polite
Mostly ignore the comments and attacks from the peanut gallery

At times, I do
Explain at times why leaving to go to work is not flouncing, or
Commenting for several hours in a row, and then leaving is not flouncing and more then they deserve

And at other times, I debunk their arguments from Feminism 101 that
sexism = power + prejudice
the best way to progress on men's rights is to do nothing but support more feminism
derailing for dummies is much of anything other than silencing tactics

And I let them ban me.

And obviously they have banned me.

When they do ban me, I am not saying I will not create a new user, but I'll leave them be for several weeks if not a month or more. My activities won't be confused with stalking or hacking or anything they cry wolf about.

But I figure that anyone that does pay attention to them, if they do read a comment thread, they'll be able to pick up on the bullying and the banning.

The pit has taught me about freezepage -- thank you pit!

Axel

Post by Axel »

Acathode, what I mean is that is each one has to be responsible about what they say or how the act. This twitter seems to be using a real name, since there is ambiguity that what he saids was a stupid joke or an actual threat (I personally think it was a very distastefull joke), it will be used agaisnt him. Their courts presume you are guilty until proven innocent-Never happens.
They guy was dressed similar to a soldier. If this is the case, he could be in deep shit if this gets reported to a commanding officer. If I was a public person online, I would conduct myself like a politian in constant campaign mode.
But you are right, this is also about "guilt-by-association", even if no such association exist.