The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Old subthreads
windy

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Post by windy »

welch wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
welch wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
welch wrote: [...]
As far as the factories thing? Um, do you have any idea of what even a small factory making generic widgets requires, much less one making medical products with high tolerance requirements requires? That's assuming you have the rest of the infrastructure in place. You may have noticed that rather a few of the countries in the areas we are talking about are kind if fucked in the infrastructure
[...] They could easily set up, if not factories, then simply mass imports of condoms along with teaching how and when to use them and when not to use them (eg; wants to have children with spouse).
[...]
You also keep insisting that if we just tell people about condoms, TA DA. Well, given the amount of money and time spent doing that, I can safely say that no, just telling people about how awesome condoms are is not the solution you think it is. Again, you can't even make that work HERE, where the majority of the population doesn't assume that european doctors are lying to them. Your method doesn't work the way you think it does in as close to an ideal situation as you will ever get, and yet you insist that if we just keep doing that, well, it'll work.

I understand the relationship between my head and a brick wall. I know which one will win.

As far as mass imports of condoms working, there's so much naiveté in that statement that i can only conclude you literally know nothing about the entire continent beyond the last "tarzan" movie you watched. Just dumping a bunch of stuff in a place doesn't work. YOu still need infrastructure and all the other inconvenient bits.

Fuck, we tried that with FOOD in the 80s. Remember that? Live Aid? We are the World? Shipped a fuck ton of food to the area. How well did that work out? Not fucking very.
FFS, both of you are arguing about things that are already in existence. Welch, you're totally correct that there are massive barriers to condom use and just throwing more condoms at it won't fix it by itself. But generalising from Live Aid is about as dumb as generalising from Tarzan movies. The HIV epidemic is worst in relatively wealthy and stable countries like Botswana and here in South Africa -the assumption that they, or the "area" in general, is unable to manufacture or import condoms is silly. Many governments have their own condom distribution programs, and the poorer countries like Malawi are getting them from NGOs. We're not talking about airdropping food into the Sahel here.

SN also has a point in that circumcision campaigns could easily backfire by creating a false confidence. Since we're not living in an ideal world, we can't assume that people won't use it as an excuse to continue with risky sex. Like this notorious Ugandan circumcision poster suggests.
http://www.jhuccp.org/sites/all/files/S ... dscape.JPG

BTW, coming as a bit of a surprise to researchers, the only country in the region that has seen a substantial decline in HIV prevalence recently is Zimbabwe.
Zimbabwe: an HIV prevention success story

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17378847
CONCLUSIONS:

The glans of the circumcised penis is less sensitive to fine touch than the glans of the uncircumcised penis. The transitional region from the external to the internal prepuce is the most sensitive region of the uncircumcised penis and more sensitive than the most sensitive region of the circumcised penis. Circumcision ablates the most sensitive parts of the penis.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

I used to like OB. But now when I visit FTB I cannot even mouse over Butterflies and Wheels without feeling like I am going vomit. Thanks to all her lies and manipulations, and false accusations - the thought of her just makes me sick.

welch

Post by welch »

One reason I love my job: photobomb at Friday beer cart!

http://instagr.am/p/UpC7XygfW8/

HoneyWagon

Post by HoneyWagon »

Oh, for fuck's sake.
Can someone tell this idiot he has just given Ophelia a gift?

http://www.freezepage.com/1358558531QFFXDFGXVU

http://i.imgur.com/4WIiE2W.png

To any FTBers, you know this guy is not serious, but for the record, I think he was a stupid asshole for even writing it.

welch

Post by welch »

AbsurdWalls wrote:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17378847
CONCLUSIONS:

The glans of the circumcised penis is less sensitive to fine touch than the glans of the uncircumcised penis. The transitional region from the external to the internal prepuce is the most sensitive region of the uncircumcised penis and more sensitive than the most sensitive region of the circumcised penis. Circumcision ablates the most sensitive parts of the penis.
Wow. My dick doesn't work? If only I'd known.

Eucliwood

Post by Eucliwood »

Do they criticize fellow FtBers when they say over the top things about torture, dying painful deaths, or things such as dying in fires?

DownThunder

Post by DownThunder »

welch wrote:
DownThunder wrote:
Chilly P. wrote:
MRA groups that place male circumcision alongside Female Genital Mutilation need to learn how to a) prioritize, and b) pick their fights, and c) make a compelling argument because they are often wrong, annoying, and people are right to call them on it.
Yes. There is a great deal of false equivalency between circumcision ("MGM") an FGM. The latter doesn't have a shred of medical benefit behind it, and does indeed result in many women not being able to achieve orgasm.
MRA's make the mistake of allowing western hospitalised forms of male cutting to be compared to 3rd world female cutting. Male cutting in the 1st world is compared to full legal protection for females. What is done to boys in the 3rd world is comparable to many forms of female cutting, except that males are subjected to it in far greater numbers.

I dont see why anyone should back down from this issue. There's endless demonisation of men as monsters who violate others, but very few are willing to examine their role in how they shape a monster in the first place. Theres no disadvantage to respecting the boundaries of male bodies.
No, but really? "How they shape a monster"?

Sigh
What don't you understand? There has been endless spiels about males not respecting personal boundaries of others while simultaneously denying males personal boundaries and bodily autonomy from a young age. Taking a knife to a boys genitals is only one of many forms. Take your pick - trivialisation of physical abuse, humour of male rape, even a wife cutting off a man's penis elicits laughter. Unless youre a sociopath, it should be fairly obvious that those are not positive lessons to be teaching males society-wide, and you shouldn't be surprised to find greater rates of harmful behaviour in later life. Abuse a puppy and tell me what kind of dog it turns into.

welch

Post by welch »

HoneyWagon wrote:Oh, for fuck's sake.

To any FTBers, you know this guy is not serious, but for the record, I think he was a stupid asshole for even writing it.
And people wonder why I recommend not dealing directly with them. Tell me that twonk isn't in the 'pit.

decius

Post by decius »

welch wrote:One reason I love my job: photobomb at Friday beer cart!

Is that you, Welchy?

welch

Post by welch »

DownThunder wrote:
welch wrote:
DownThunder wrote:
Chilly P. wrote:
MRA groups that place male circumcision alongside Female Genital Mutilation need to learn how to a) prioritize, and b) pick their fights, and c) make a compelling argument because they are often wrong, annoying, and people are right to call them on it.
Yes. There is a great deal of false equivalency between circumcision ("MGM") an FGM. The latter doesn't have a shred of medical benefit behind it, and does indeed result in many women not being able to achieve orgasm.
MRA's make the mistake of allowing western hospitalised forms of male cutting to be compared to 3rd world female cutting. Male cutting in the 1st world is compared to full legal protection for females. What is done to boys in the 3rd world is comparable to many forms of female cutting, except that males are subjected to it in far greater numbers.

I dont see why anyone should back down from this issue. There's endless demonisation of men as monsters who violate others, but very few are willing to examine their role in how they shape a monster in the first place. Theres no disadvantage to respecting the boundaries of male bodies.
No, but really? "How they shape a monster"?

Sigh
What don't you understand? There has been endless spiels about males not respecting personal boundaries of others while simultaneously denying males personal boundaries and bodily autonomy from a young age. Taking a knife to a boys genitals is only one of many forms. Take your pick - trivialisation of physical abuse, humour of male rape, even a wife cutting off a man's penis elicits laughter. Unless youre a sociopath, it should be fairly obvious that those are not positive lessons to be teaching males society-wide, and you shouldn't be surprised to find greater rates of harmful behaviour in later life. Abuse a puppy and tell me what kind of dog it turns into.
Yes. Circumcision tarp urns men into sociopaths. Why, if he'd not been cut, Ted buddy would have been a fucking saint.

Funk me, this is EXACTLY like talking to the NRA or La Leche.

HoneyWagon

Post by HoneyWagon »

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

@JerryConlon seems to be no longer on twitter.

welch

Post by welch »

decius wrote:
welch wrote:One reason I love my job: photobomb at Friday beer cart!

Is that you, Welchy?
Yep. I'm the one in the middle.

welch

Post by welch »

HoneyWagon wrote:[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Oh darn. He seemed like such a deep thinker

Eucliwood

Post by Eucliwood »

DownThunder wrote:
Yes, but those are dogs, who wouldn't care too much if they witnessed another dog be over aggressive with another organism. By "abuse a puppy" are you talking about boys specifically being abused and no one caring, & it being trivialized, or growing up seeing that it would be trivialized if they were abused? Because the latter is not abuse itself.

Anyway, if any MRAs are comparing 1st world cutting to 3rd world cutting of guys, they set themselves up for rebuttals. If they are looking at that, they might as well just oppose it all (acknowledging that 3rd world cutting of girls and guys is worse... did that message say it happens to baby boys too?). A better comparison would be "would it be no big deal to cut a baby girl's parts in a 1st world hospital with supposed "pain" help? (It's suspected that they still feel the circumcision. Suspected is an understatement that people writing pieces on it might use to trod carefully. Let's get for real. They're crying because they're in pain. You see how the cries intensify when the knife zooms back into their flesh? That's pain, not fear.)

decius

Post by decius »

That was vile.

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

welch wrote:
AbsurdWalls wrote:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17378847
CONCLUSIONS:

Wow. My dick doesn't work? If only I'd known.
This does not mean your dick doesn't work. It just means that (unsurprisingly) its threshold for very fine stimulation is higher than that of an uncircumcised one. The results look the same for vibration as they are for fine touch. I don't think this necessarily even means that you feel less pleasure etc. than an uncircumcised person, because that is probably a few stages and changes of representation away from simple sensitivity, but it does mean that "I don't think it made me any less sensitive" is likely false.

Take-home message I guess is not to try to crack any safes with it.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

HoneyWagon wrote:[spoiler]Oh, for fuck's sake.

http://i.imgur.com/4WIiE2W.png[/spoiler]

But they will pretend it is serious. They will call it a threat. Mark my words.

Eucliwood

Post by Eucliwood »

DownThunder wrote:
Well, humans aren't puppies, but I get the point. Are you talking about boys being abuse victims themselves with no one to care, or them simply noting that if they were abused, people may not care?

Anyway, if anyone is comparing 1st world cutting to 3rd world cutting, they're setting themselves up for an obvious rebuttal. Why not instead ask, "if this was done unnecessarily to baby girl's, in a 1st world hospital, with supposed 'pain compensation' it still wouldn't be acceptable," and also note that yes, 3rd world cutting is obviously awful - I'd add in that it's done to both sexes if that's what someone was saying there. If anyone dares to say that the pain medication is enough, get for real. Even documents that use euphemisms and tread lightly that are not anti-circumcision note that "it is justified to suspect that they do feel pain during the circumcision process rather than it all being due to simple discomfort or fear." You see how their cries intensify when the knife takes another lunge? That's pain, people.

Eucliwood

Post by Eucliwood »

Wow, sorry for double posting. it told me that my post never posted... gave me a weird error message and I thought I had to try again.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Update for you creeps from the mildew pit -
No it’s not that I think I’m that important, you assholes. It’s that you do. You’re the ones who act as if I’m pretty much the most important person in the world! Along with eight or ten others. You’re the ones who monitor my every move every hour and every day. You’re the ones who focus a creepy amount of attention on me. I don’t think I’m that important at all! I don’t think I’m worth that kind of attention – not from people who like me and not from people who hate me. No, I don’t think maybe someone will eventually attack me because I’m so important – I think that because you people are so fucking unhinged and obsessive and you keep ratcheting up the hatred. I am very small potatoes, yet there you are, staring and frothing and hating.
I hope that clears that the fuck up.
- Ophelia Benson

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

[/spoiler]

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

I'm glad I'm somewhere where I can say he was a cunt and good riddance to him.

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

BarnOwl wrote: Seems likely that the pranksters would be local to PZ, if indeed there were any pranks pulled at all. Wanks? Almost certainly, but I don't want to think about it. A stupid prank that would become stale quickly, if for no other reason than: how many car dealerships can there be local to Morris MN, out there on the fucking prairie? I mean, it's not exactly a teeming metropolis. Oh, wait ...

::googles::

Yep, as I suspected. :lol:
Maybe it's the faculty at his school. They might be trying to get rid of him.

"Guys. He's this close to a breakdown. If we just do a few more pranks, he'll go mental and we won't have him associated with the school anymore."

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Since you're reading, Ophelia, maybe if you didn't make the story about someone getting a splash of acid in their face all about you you you, we wouldn't have much to say about it. However, since you did, I think you deserve at least a good mocking and at most a very mean letter about your behaviour as a supposed social justice warrior.

I mean, I'm not saying you are dismissing the concerns of all the victims who've had acid splashed onto their face, horribly disfiguring them, to the point it's made it hard for them to even breathe, and then making light of it by comparing it to the situation within the atheist community and that maybe you should start wearing protection, ha, ha, ha . . . I'm just saying.

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

Altair wrote:
sacha wrote:
poor Justin indeed. He needs to be wired with a spy camera and have a chaperone. I don't think it is a good idea for him to attend alone.

I know I'm far behind. I'm trying to catch up
I say we buy him one of these:

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/im ... 4c3a4f.jpg

That way he can tell every woman he meets "Please don't take this the wrong way, I find you very interesting. Can you repeat what you just said, a bit closer to my penis?"
Great idea. Monopod man becomes belt buckle boy.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

welch wrote:[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

And people wonder why I recommend not dealing directly with them. Tell me that twonk isn't in the 'pit.
I agree that it is counterproductive to deal with them on their own blogs and to engage with them directly by sending twitter messages. I will never do so. It only enables them to play the victim and to blame the actions of stupid trolls like this Conlon person on us. They have taken the persecution gambit straight from the Christian playbook. Ophelia, who started this mess by making the horrible suggestion that people who ridicule her might be capable of throwing acid in her face, is going to milk this to the last drop. PZ en Zvan will follow suit, maybe Lousy Canuck and Brayton too. It's what they do. It's an FTB thing. Create drama and then profit from it.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Altair wrote:

[spoiler]http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/im ... 4c3a4f.jpg[/spoiler]

That way he can tell every woman he meets "Please don't take this the wrong way, I find you very interesting. Can you repeat what you just said, a bit closer to my penis?"
Do we really need video of P.Z. Meyer's bobbing forehead?

/Just sayin'

P.S. [spoiler]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8353/8394 ... fdfc_z.jpg
Fuck the high road[/spoiler]

DownThunder

Post by DownThunder »

welch wrote: Yes. Circumcision tarp urns men into sociopaths. Why, if he'd not been cut, Ted buddy would have been a fucking saint.

Your hyperbole is betraying a weak position. Do you have a moral or ethical problem with the mandatory violation of the bodily autonomy of each and every male that is born in a society? Yes or no?

Don't reply back with more hyperbole. If you think my question isnt a fair representation of what is being suggested, you better be damn specific about what words you don't like.

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

[/spoiler]

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

FUCKING Jerry. This is exactly what Ophie was after. The article was a dare for someone to joke about it so she can continue her professional victimhood career.

Fucking idiot.

Fucking crazy bitch.

decius

Post by decius »

Jan Steen wrote: I agree that it is counterproductive to deal with them on their own blogs and to engage with them directly by sending twitter messages. I will never do so. It only enables them to play the victim and to blame the actions of stupid trolls like this Conlon person on us. They have taken the persecution gambit straight from the Christian playbook. Ophelia, who started this mess by making the horrible suggestion that people who ridicule her might be capable of throwing acid in her face, is going to milk this to the last drop. PZ en Zvan will follow suit, maybe Lousy Canuck and Brayton too. It's what they do. It's an FTB thing. Create drama and then profit from it.
I disagree about Twitter, Jan. They have no control over it other than isolating themselves from the cacophony of protest and mockery, which is getting louder by the day.
If utilised wisely, it can help to restore the Pit's image because people can see what individual members are up too, without having to make the effort to visit here.

Some of our stuff gets retweeted ad nauseam and it's pretty cool to watch the babboons squirm.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Fucking hell, Jerry. Where the hell's your head at? Shit. Back to the drawing board.

16bitheretic

Post by 16bitheretic »

Jan Steen wrote:Is the mafia offering protection to Ophelia?

http://i.imgur.com/B2DH2GE.jpg

http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... ent-423314

The paranoia of these people is ludicrous. Threaten back? Who is threatening her, FFS? Get real, you moron.
http://free-image-hosting.com/images/20 ... /j9FQD.png

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

Tigzy wrote:
Za-zen wrote: Guess that make me Obi Wan, since i'm zen. And claimed it first.
I think I'm fucking JarJar.
I'm not judgemental.

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

Pitchguest wrote:Fucking hell, Jerry. Where the hell's your head at? Shit. Back to the drawing board.
He's not active here from what I can see, but he does have a YouTube channel showing activity going back a while.

From that... it looks like a real person (i.e. not a sock), it looks like he was into the sort of stuff that's popular on the 'pit, and it looks like deleting his Twitter account is not going to stop him getting the backlash from this.

What a tool.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

decius wrote:[spoiler]
Jan Steen wrote: I agree that it is counterproductive to deal with them on their own blogs and to engage with them directly by sending twitter messages. I will never do so. It only enables them to play the victim and to blame the actions of stupid trolls like this Conlon person on us. They have taken the persecution gambit straight from the Christian playbook. Ophelia, who started this mess by making the horrible suggestion that people who ridicule her might be capable of throwing acid in her face, is going to milk this to the last drop. PZ en Zvan will follow suit, maybe Lousy Canuck and Brayton too. It's what they do. It's an FTB thing. Create drama and then profit from it.
[/spoiler]

I disagree about Twitter, Jan. They have no control over it other than isolating themselves from the cacophony of protest and mockery, which is getting louder by the day.
If utilised wisely, it can help to restore the Pit's image because people can see what individual members are up too, without having to make the effort to visit here.

Some of our stuff gets retweeted ad nauseam and it's pretty cool to watch the babboons squirm.
I only meant avoid sending twitter messages to them directly. They can too easily twist that into harrassment.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

16bitheretic wrote:[spoiler]
Jan Steen wrote:Is the mafia offering protection to Ophelia?

http://i.imgur.com/B2DH2GE.jpg

http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... ent-423314

The paranoia of these people is ludicrous. Threaten back? Who is threatening her, FFS? Get real, you moron.
http://free-image-hosting.com/images/20 ... /j9FQD.png[/spoiler]
:clap:

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Mykeru wrote:
Altair wrote:

[spoiler]http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/im ... 4c3a4f.jpg[/spoiler]

Do we really need video of P.Z. Meyer's bobbing forehead?

/Just sayin'

P.S. [spoiler]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8353/8394 ... fdfc_z.jpg
Fuck the high road[/spoiler]
http://i.imgur.com/m1UaOgO.jpg

decius

Post by decius »

Jan Steen wrote:
I only meant avoid sending twitter messages to them directly. They can too easily twist that into harrassment.
They block us anyway, but they cannot avoid reading messages sent to #ftbullies or #atheismplus, if they frequent the hashtags.

DownThunder

Post by DownThunder »

Eucliwood wrote:Well, humans aren't puppies, but I get the point. Are you talking about boys being abuse victims themselves with no one to care, or them simply noting that if they were abused, people may not care?
Any person's experiences will shape their behaviour towards others. In regards to males specifically, there are problems with general societies attitude towards isolated male suffering, eg the abuse of a boy by parents or caretakers, physical or sexual abuse, spouse abuse, rape etc. There are also society wide institutional problems, such as incarceration of males for trivial things like weed etc.

When a common theme or response to your suffering is indifference, or worse, ridicule and dismissal, it is not a stretch to see on a large sample of people that will result in anti social behaviour in a portion of them.

The problem with tuff nutz like welch is that he takes his personal triumph of shrugging off things and regards that as good social policy. By all means preach it, but realise that not going to work for each and every person, and other people have to pick up the mess when things go very badly.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

I saw Jerry Conlon's tweet a bit after the fact. Oddly enough, it was only due to having Dawn Gordon the freaky stalker sending shit to other people within my timeline. At any rate, his tweet was really not called for *and* he tried to be "funny" by saying he was talking about "alpha hydroxy". Whatever. Fucking idiot.

So, yeah. Now Ophie has hit the jackpot in as far as professional victim points thanks to that dumbass tweet.

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

decius wrote:
Jan Steen wrote:
They block us anyway, but they cannot avoid reading messages sent to #ftbullies or #atheismplus, if they frequent the hashtags.
OB was tweeting at Sara Mayhew despite having blocked her, to try to tie in Mayhew's problem with being sister-punished with Conlon's acid tweet.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Conference harassment policies have just been updated, based on Ophelia's keen reporting of breaking threats in the atheist/skeptic community.

Not only is sexualized clothing forbidden, standard garb has been selected which will greatly improve everyone's experience, by helping to:
  • prevent harassment based on physical appearance including skin color, gender presentation, etc
  • prevent harassment-by-offensive-T-shirt-message
  • reduce chance of successful upskirt photographs
  • soak up tears from seeing fake jewelry
  • reduce exposure of skin to direct contact with flung acid, whether directed at the attendee or collateral splash from standing next to a Big Name Speaker such as Ophelia Benson
Here's a shot of a couple people checking in at the registration desk for this weekend's SJWs United Conference:
http://i.imgur.com/sVqazoU.png

As you can see, they are ready for a safe, respectful, non-harassing and non-harassed rollicking, good time at SUC this year!

welch

Post by welch »

DownThunder wrote:
welch wrote: Yes. Circumcision tarp urns men into sociopaths. Why, if he'd not been cut, Ted buddy would have been a fucking saint.

Your hyperbole is betraying a weak position. Do you have a moral or ethical problem with the mandatory violation of the bodily autonomy of each and every male that is born in a society? Yes or no?

Don't reply back with more hyperbole. If you think my question isnt a fair representation of what is being suggested, you better be damn specific about what words you don't like.
Circumcision, at least in the U.S. hasn't been "mandatory" in any sense of that word in decades, if ever. So the position you demand I respond to is bullshit. Which is the same kind of shit you get from the NRA and La Leche. Good job

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

ReneeHendricks wrote:Thank you so much and whatever you can do will be most appreciated! Even just getting the word out is more than enough.
Oooh Renee Artois: It would be a big help for your noble cause if your sig-line had a hot-link direct to your charity so that I didn't have to search for it every time.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

decius wrote:
Jan Steen wrote:
But then they're the ones who deliberately seek out stuff they can feel insulted about. That's different.

welch

Post by welch »

DownThunder wrote:
Eucliwood wrote:Well, humans aren't puppies, but I get the point. Are you talking about boys being abuse victims themselves with no one to care, or them simply noting that if they were abused, people may not care?
Any person's experiences will shape their behaviour towards others. In regards to males specifically, there are problems with general societies attitude towards isolated male suffering, eg the abuse of a boy by parents or caretakers, physical or sexual abuse, spouse abuse, rape etc. There are also society wide institutional problems, such as incarceration of males for trivial things like weed etc.

When a common theme or response to your suffering is indifference, or worse, ridicule and dismissal, it is not a stretch to see on a large sample of people that will result in anti social behaviour in a portion of them.

The problem with tuff nutz like welch is that he takes his personal triumph of shrugging off things and regards that as good social policy. By all means preach it, but realise that not going to work for each and every person, and other people have to pick up the mess when things go very badly.
That, and I think conflating a one time incident that the majority of people don't remember with long-term constant abuse is fucking stupid.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Michael K Gray wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:Thank you so much and whatever you can do will be most appreciated! Even just getting the word out is more than enough.
Oooh Renee Artois: It would be a big help for your noble cause if your sig-line had a hot-link direct to your charity so that I didn't have to search for it every time.
Done!

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Spence wrote:... And yeah, motherboard slots are a PITA so you have to buy large capacity modules and you have to pay top money for that capability.
Ah. Not on the Motherfuckerboard.
That explains it.
Carry on Calculating!
(Starring Sid James¹)

Tkmlac

Post by Tkmlac »

Hi 'Pit!

Just finished two ten-hour shifts split by a nine-hour overnight (and they say I'm nothing but a lazy liberal, but I digress). Decided to skip ahead instead of spend the NEXT thirty hours catching up!

What'd I miss?

Al Stefanelli

Post by Al Stefanelli »

[spoiler]http://i.imgur.com/4WIiE2W.png[/spoiler]
Jesus fucking Christ, that was absolutely deplorable...

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

welch wrote:No, but really? "How they shape a monster"?
http://www.sculpt.com/pictures/clays/1168MC5.jpg

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Al Stefanelli wrote:

[spoiler]http://i.imgur.com/4WIiE2W.png[/spoiler]
Jesus fucking Christ, that was absolutely deplorable...
And now douche-trying-to be-edgy's totally serious-ish acid-attack threat against Ophelia Benson (which she fished hard for, props) will enter into FTB mythology.

Mark Neil

Post by Mark Neil »

Tkmlac wrote:Hi 'Pit!

Just finished two ten-hour shifts split by a nine-hour overnight (and they say I'm nothing but a lazy liberal, but I digress). Decided to skip ahead instead of spend the NEXT thirty hours catching up!

What'd I miss?
Still don't have it as bad as Ophelia

http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... -throwing/

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

DownThunder wrote:

I read a great book, back in 1998, wish I could remember the title, about boys and the struggles boys face growing up. Specifically, how 'shame' is used to force boys to conform to masculine roles. From the get go, boys must not cry, boys must be tough, and if a boy is not tough, he is shamed. Boys must face personal struggles *alone* and without support. Girls have loads of support, boys are expected to keep it all in. And then once boys get older, they are suddenly thrust into a world that expects them to 1) be ultra masculine while at the same time 2) being super sensitive, esp. to women.

All of these conflicting societal expectations would fuck anyone up. I am glad that I took the time to educate myself, back then, instead of just assuming that all men were just assholes (without feelings) right out of the box.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

[spoiler]http://www.freezepage.com/1358558531QFFXDFGXVU

http://i.imgur.com/4WIiE2W.png[/spoiler]
Yeah, what a fuckin' moron. You're not helping, Conlon.

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

DownThunder wrote:
sacha wrote:
AnonymousCowherd wrote:
d4m10n wrote:
Just needed something to put on Justin V. so that everyone can more easily recognize him at the Women in Secularism conference.
What about a target? Poor Justin.
poor Justin indeed. He needs to be wired with a spy camera and have a chaperone. I don't think it is a good idea for him to attend alone.

I know I'm far behind. I'm trying to catch up
I had the same thought about a camera, in case (likely) that someone accuses him of something just out of spite. BUT then you know if Justin uses or shows any footage, he'll be flamed for spying and being all creepy.

However, I still think having solid evidence like video is immensely helpful and outweighs the inevitable and predictable accusations that will be levelled against him.
Meh. Audio recording should do the trick most of the time, for was less in terms of MB.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

What'd I miss?
Well, we were laughing along with Ophelia's latest attention wank, where she made light about people getting acid thrown in their face and comparing it to her own situation within the atheist community when Jerry Conlon -- now in the future referred to as "nincompoop" -- fucked it up by actually, while joking about it, making a maybe threat about throwing acid in her face.

And we are facepalming so hard right now. Jerry, if you're out there: you damn fool. You gave her what she wanted. :doh:

Tkmlac

Post by Tkmlac »

Mark Neil wrote:

What'd I miss?
Still don't have it as bad as Ophelia

http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... -throwing/
Yeah, I saw that shit. UGH. And now that some asshole on twitter has said it to her, she can use that ONE TWEET to dispel any criticism against her for that horrible post.

Tkmlac

Post by Tkmlac »

Hmm. https://twitter.com/JerryConlon

Page does not exist. Not "user has been suspended," but no longer exists, which means he deleted his account. Did anyone screenshots of this guy's account before it went down?

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

On the one hand, if she ever tries to use it as a legitimate threat against her, we'll just laugh in her face. If she tries to make Justin Vacula's mocking her as an implicit threat, again we'll just laugh in her face.

On the other, Jerry Conlon's tweet: not helping. At all. Skepchud had the right idea if you want to be funny about it, but outright saying acid would do her some good? The fuck's wrong with you.