Back to Conspiratoria

jet_lagg

Re: Back to Conspiratoria

Post by jet_lagg »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:18 pm
I dog-sat for my new neighbor who was driving overnight to Vegas, so I gave her an OC spray for the trip. I buy those on sale, too, and always keep a couple around to hand out.
A buddy of mine got stopped by some officers for carrying one of those and issued a summons. I was pretty drunk and couldn't stop laughing. This is the same place that can't keep junkies from sleeping in a pool of their own piss on a subway bench during rush hour. I have to say I love the place just the same. You either think the possibility of getting jumped by a gang black women in neon green leotards is a selling point or you don't.

https://media.nbcnewyork.com/2022/07/Bo ... 1200%2C675

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

jet_lagg wrote: A buddy of mine got stopped by some officers for carrying one of those and issued a summons.
Where? Unless your buddy was a minor or a felon, OC spray is legal in NYC.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Brooklyn. At first I thought they were trying to get him on a technicality (I'd read earlier the city required registration of some kind), but when the question was posed there were blank stares all around. Cops are not very knowledgable of the law in my experience.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

I have a sick sinking feeling when I think-about Putin's recent wave of airstrikes on Kiev, Lviv, Ternopil and Zhytomyr in western Ukraine, Dnipro and Kremenchuk in the center, Zaporizhzhia in the south, and Kharkiv in the east.

However I confess that I have succumbed to one very specific rotten prayer of spite. I wish only safety for everyone Ukraine, except...

Randi Weingarten-- the lockdown-crazy anti-parents anti-kids Teachers' Union leader-- is spending Columbus Day Indiginous People's Day in Kiev, Ukraine... where she is tweeting against Anti-Semitism & cheering-for the team with the swastikas.

https://nitter.net/rweingarten

John D

Post by John D »

We are surviving the first few days after chemotherapy. My wife is sick, but not as sick as I thought she might be. She has crazy weird pain in her abdomen and joints and is very tired.

I decided to skip cooking today and that was a good plan. She didn’t know what she could eat till about 4:00. She had me pick her up a loose hamburger from a coney place. I suspect this dish is rare outside Detroit. It is spicy loose ground beef on a soft white bun covered with coney style chili sauce. Haha. I thought she would only be eating crackers… but she really liked her loose burger.

I had two Detroit style coney dogs which is a natural cased frankfurter on a soft white bun covered with savory chili sauce, white onions, and yellow mustard. A Detroit original as far as I can tell.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Sounds like a spicy Sloppy Joe.

Unless they are made of ground rabbit instead of beef, my hunch is 'coney' refers to Coney Island amusement park. (But stay away from the Coney Island Whitefish.)

John D

Post by John D »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Sounds like a spicy Sloppy Joe.

Unless they are made of ground rabbit instead of beef, my hunch is 'coney' refers to Coney Island amusement park. (But stay away from the Coney Island Whitefish.)
yeah.. originally the name coney came from Coney Island which is, of course, not in Detroit. The history of the Detroit style coney dog is really interesting and complicated. Jews and Greeks here sort of invented these unique foods from hot dogs and chili and such.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

I watched 'Jesus Rolls' a 2021 film directed by John Turturro re-visiting his Big Lebowski character.

It was great-- pure 80's indie-- like Scorsese's 'After Hours' or Hal Hartley movies. Including that-era's adoration for French New Wave.
(In fact, it's a re-make of an 1974 French New Wave flick with Gerard Depardieu. Which I've got queued up to watch next.)

Jesus Rolls includes low-key surprise cameos by legendary actors/ but 'legendary' doesn't mean they work frequently. So it feels fresh to see Christopher Walken give us a little scene (man, remember his 'gold watch' appearance in Pulp Fiction?) And Susan Sarandon completely steals the show... watch it & see... you old farts will die in love with her.

And all of that counts for not-much. Wikipedia calls it a 'box office bomb' (Were theaters even open when it came-out?). And internet rating-sites call it 'disappointing'. Because The Big Lebowski is the oldest film they've ever seen. And to-them "The 80s" means 2nd-hand nonstalgia (pseudo-expertise from watching faux-80's children's shows like Stranger Things & Cobra Kai.)
Jesus Rolls would have a higher rating if it were a worse movie.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Kanye's WHITE LIVES MATTER t-shirts are a bit hit up & down MLK Jr. Boulevard in her town.

https://media.communities.win/post/QggUw7Um9QON.jpeg

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

When distributing reparations, maybe we could allocate them not in dollars, but rather in pounds.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

And the Dem Debate Disasters continue. Tim 'rotting log in a bayou' Ryan just stands there cowed, as J.D. Vance eviscerates him on abortion:

This seems to be a pattern for Tim. Remember when Tulsi Gabbard deftly sliced off Ryan's testicles and tossed them to the dog on national TV?

John D

Post by John D »

So... my daughter is out of town and I find myself responsible for an 80 pound Pitbull. So far, she has shown no aggressiveness so we are off to a reasonable start. The beast slept in bed with me last night and thankfully I have a king size bed. I put her dog bed on the opposite side of the bed and she stayed there until I woke up.

I have started walking her (which my daughter never did). I am trying to train her not to tug. I am using the simple word "stop" to get her to stay in place. I hope it works. Good result so far... but it has just been one day. I think she is smart enough to train and she wants to please me. My little Pekingese mix is so stubborn you can barely train her... haha. This is common for the breed. Thankfully my little dog has never been aggressive in four years. I have also rigged up a leash at the front door to keep the Pitbull from bolting out the door when someone arrives. She got away from me once and I will not let that happen again. She just romped out the door at a delivery man and had a great time greeting him... but... it scared the poor man... and I feel really bad about that.

Styx agrees with me on this one. Ghetto dog.

fafnir

Post by fafnir »

Apologies if this is an idea out of the distant past. The more I lurk at International Sceptics, the more I think Atheism+ at least had the decency to be up front about their ideology, even if that shat the bed for the rest of them. With International Sceptics, it's as if they don't even want to look at their own ideology themselves. Fittingly for them, it's like a magic trick.... they want all the attention to be on the progressive cause of the moment, and can't understand why anybody would want to look at what their other hand is doing, or what's in their pockets. They are like some old school magician trying to follow Penn & Teller, thinking they can still get the old reaction by pulling a rabbit from a hat. It's just sad, at the moment they are trying to claim not to see what is on the Left about BLM and Antifa. Can that even be convincing to them?

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

"Threatened"

Black Hitler

Sarah Silverman's twitter bio lists her pronouns as (((she/her)))
... the triple parentheses is an (((I'm Jewish))) meme in response-to an anti-jewish meme from 2014.

She lists her location as "Palestine".

Since June 24, her pinned tweet is: "Be cool do crimes fund abortion"

She's not-exactly disproving Kanye's claims that high-profile progressive jews campaign in favor-of over-50% of US black pregnancies ending in abortion.

She posted A LOT of stuff about Kanye's anti-jewish conspiracy theories.
But she also claims "Critical Race Theory being taught in schools" is a conspiracy theory which "never happened", so... ???

2 days ago she retweeted The Dixie Chicks endorsing Beto O'Rourke,
4 days ago she retweeted Jon Stewart on Gender Affirming Care for Children
5 days ago she retweeted Al Franken & her podcasting together.
(then I stopped scrolling... because I was afraid I'd see Al Gore dancing the macarena with The Spice Girls.)

fafnir

Post by fafnir »

Does Sarah Silverman have anything interesting and non-generic to say about anything important?

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

John D wrote: I am using the simple word "stop" to get her to stay in place.
One way to make a dog not-do something... is to command them to do something-else.

Blurting out "Don't bark" might be meaningless to the dog, but "Sit" can work to interrupt the barking.

For that reason-- you're doing a good thing by associating the word "Stop" with ceasing-to-walk. Because "stop" is likely to-be shouted in all-sorts of situations... as a generic 'don't' word... but you're associating it with a specific action the dog to

can take.

Dogs also like predictable chains of commands-- in a familiar order. When he growled at a stranger, I'd run my dog thru the series: "Stop"/ followed by "Sit"/ followed by "Shake"/ then "Down"/ followed by "Bang Bang" [play dead on your side]/ followed by "roll over". Which would re-orient the dog to follow my lead regarding the stranger. It also put the stranger at-ease that I had control of the dog.

(The exception was 'chase your tail' which sent him into a frenzy/ overriding listening-to me.)

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

fafnir wrote: Does Sarah Silverman have anything interesting and non-generic to say about anything important?
well... if Kanye took all the saucy bile she casually tosses-around... and replaced her targets with 'the jews'... that would be... "interesting"

before

after

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

the 2nd clip, below:

and the 2nd clip, here too:

fafnir

Post by fafnir »

Service Dog wrote:
fafnir wrote: Does Sarah Silverman have anything interesting and non-generic to say about anything important?
Boomer rebellion and risk taking. Rebelling against things that are already defeated in support of causes that the NYT approves of.

fafnir

Post by fafnir »

God damned lack of an edit button!
Service Dog wrote: well... if Kanye took all the saucy bile she casually tosses-around... and replaced her targets with 'the jews'... that would be... "interesting"
Boomer rebellion and risk taking. Rebelling against things that are already defeated in support of causes that the NYT approves of.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

John D wrote: So... my daughter is out of town and I find myself responsible for an 80 pound Pitbull. So far, she has shown no aggressiveness so we are off to a reasonable start. The beast slept in bed with me last night and thankfully I have a king size bed. I put her dog bed on the opposite side of the bed and she stayed there until I woke up.

I have started walking her (which my daughter never did). I am trying to train her not to tug. I am using the simple word "stop" to get her to stay in place. I hope it works. Good result so far... but it has just been one day. I think she is smart enough to train and she wants to please me. My little Pekingese mix is so stubborn you can barely train her... haha. This is common for the breed. Thankfully my little dog has never been aggressive in four years. I have also rigged up a leash at the front door to keep the Pitbull from bolting out the door when someone arrives. She got away from me once and I will not let that happen again. She just romped out the door at a delivery man and had a great time greeting him... but... it scared the poor man... and I feel really bad about that.

https://www.floogtube.com/watch?v=dTgcd0g-ZEE
Don't forget - if she shags your lag, fake an orgasm or you're in trouble...

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

In a stand up routine, she said Jimmy Kimmel has a tiny penis. Jimmy Kimmel's stand up routing confirms this.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Lsuoma wrote:
John D wrote: So... my daughter is out of town and I find myself responsible for an 80 pound Pitbull. So far, she has shown no aggressiveness so we are off to a reasonable start. The beast slept in bed with me last night and thankfully I have a king size bed. I put her dog bed on the opposite side of the bed and she stayed there until I woke up.

I think you meant to quote Service Dog's Sarah Silverman post.

fafnir

Post by fafnir »

Has anybody like Seth Meyers ever gone even a bit Howard Beale in Network? I'm struggling to think of an instance. These are not stupid people. They must understand that their shows are just Plato's Cave, that they are just the host on The Running Man and the audience is being fed simplified slop. Are they that good at filtering, that only narcistic sociopaths make it to the level of Seth Meyers? Do they not give you a shot like that until they've got a photo of you on Epstein Island? Is it like the old Bill Hicks bit about when somebody becomes President and they are ushered into a smoke filled room where they are shown the Kennedy assassination from a new angle? Is it like the end of Three Days of the Condor, where he's asked "what if they don't publish?". Is it the Keyser Soze question of "What if you miss?".

I'm kind of going with it being more like stage hypnotism. Almost everybody, even entertainers draw back from being the one to say "the emperor has no clothes". You need such a strong moral foundation, and sense of objective reality to do that. You'll have people willing to be burned at the stake for a god, but who believes in anything solid in that way any more?

Or maybe they don't? Maybe they never stop to think of it like that, and just naively trust the great machine in Washington to know what it's doing.

fafnir

Post by fafnir »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: In a stand up routine, she said Jimmy Kimmel has a tiny penis. Jimmy Kimmel's stand up routing confirms this.
I said important, not impotent.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

fafnir wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: In a stand up routine, she said Jimmy Kimmel has a tiny penis. Jimmy Kimmel's stand up routing confirms this.
:rimshot:

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Tulsi announces she's leaving the Democrat Party:

John D

Post by John D »

The Pitbull did start humping me the other day when we were playing on the couch. Any rowdy play can go south very quickly. She mounted me and wrapped her paws around my head. She scratched the shit out of my ear which took two weeks to heal. I cannot wrestle with this animal.

I enjoy wrestling with my little Pekingese mix so much. When she gets rowdy I sit on the floor and we go at it. I grab her neck or paws... she strikes back by gently grabbing my hand in her mouth. I roll she over and grab her belly and she jumps up and growls. Sometime when she is really going after me I lay on my back so she thinks she beat me in our little game. We growl at each other. Good fun. If I played like this with the Pitbull I would be torn to pieces.

Regarding Seth Meyers... who cares. Celebs and politicians have been sucking up to each other for two hundred years. Kennedy and his pack of Hollywood "friends"... etc. I remember vividly as a kid... watching "Laugh In", when Richard Nixon went on the show and said "Sock it to me." They are all ass-kissing cunts... politicians and Hollywood style celebs. But... the masses don't care. There watch ET every night and somehow give a shit about the Kardashians. I swear I am a fucking alien.

John D

Post by John D »

fafnir wrote:
As a "member" of the small penis club, I resemble this comment!

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

fafnir

Post by fafnir »

John D wrote:
fafnir wrote:
As a "member" of the small penis club, I resemble this comment!
Isn't that the lollipop guild?

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:

I think you meant to quote Service Dog's Sarah Silverman post.
Don't read that moron's posts.

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Oh my gawd, the left can't meme.

The unspoken punchline to this joke-- is that the audience must think, "Herschel Walker was never an FBI agent",
and then apply that back to Tulsi: "Tulsi Gabbard was never an _______ agent". Except the #1 word which pops into that blank is: "Kremlin".

==

The Hershel Walker "working in law enforcement" controversy itself-- requires a small-but-significant leap of uncharitable interpretation.

The story starts with Herschel Walker giving motivational speeches in 2013, & in 2019 to a group for veterans who had attempted suicide.

Herschel mentions training with FBI cadets at Quantico (this is confirmed to be true. It was some week-long thing. If he was paid as a celebrity fitness/morale trainer, then his "working in law enforcement" claim is an exaggeration, not a lie. The same is true with his actual "honorary deputy" certificate for his work with the Cobb County cops.)

So-- to really make this story stick-- you gotta find a Herschel Walker doing more than _insinuating_ he was something he wasn't.

But the only thing they've got... is Herschel making an aside as he told the story to the veterans: "Y'all didn't know I was an agent? I probably shouldn't admit that." [pause for laughter]

Oh boy! We got him! He said 'agent'! (in a self-deprecating, jokey way. Like that one slyme-time I rhymed. Y'all didn't know I was a poet?")

I'm not sayin' it's cool to puff up yer accomplishments. It's uncool. It shows a character flaw.

But it doesn't cross over to fraudulent misrepresentation... unless it really does.

And the problem with that is-- the people making the accusation that Herschel Walker lied-- aren't meeting their own factual standards. "Hershel Walker never worked for the FBI" says a fact-checking article, incorrectly. A reporter for The Young Turks outright claims that Herschel Walker is suffering from Traumatic Brain Injury from his professional football career. Cenk Ugyer responds by saying "Republican voters" have "brain damage".

The snarky left is nastier & more flawed than the opponents they attempt to topple.

https://youtu.be/LMmOrpdvHoM?t=162

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Lsuoma wrote: Don't read that moron's posts.

free thoughtpolice

Service Dog wrote:
The snarky left is nastier & more flawed than the opponents they attempt to topple.
:lol: After reading all your posts and the memes you get from patriots.com and RNC research the irony is deafening. Hell, I have to quote the Republican Lincoln Project crew to even get close to the Trump crew in nastiness and dishonesty.
Another Gabbard has never been a Democrat remark:
In other news Jon Lovitz just announced he is divorcing Morgan Fairchild. :rimshot:

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Service Dog wrote: I watched 'Jesus Rolls' a 2021 film directed by John Turturro re-visiting his Big Lebowski character.

It was great-- pure 80's indie-- like Scorsese's 'After Hours' or Hal Hartley movies. Including that-era's adoration for French New Wave.
(In fact, it's a re-make of an 1974 French New Wave flick with Gerard Depardieu. Which I've got queued up to watch next.)

Jesus Rolls includes low-key surprise cameos by legendary actors/ but 'legendary' doesn't mean they work frequently. So it feels fresh to see Christopher Walken give us a little scene (man, remember his 'gold watch' appearance in Pulp Fiction?) And Susan Sarandon completely steals the show... watch it & see... you old farts will die in love with her.

And all of that counts for not-much. Wikipedia calls it a 'box office bomb' (Were theaters even open when it came-out?). And internet rating-sites call it 'disappointing'. Because The Big Lebowski is the oldest film they've ever seen. And to-them "The 80s" means 2nd-hand nonstalgia (pseudo-expertise from watching faux-80's children's shows like Stranger Things & Cobra Kai.)
Jesus Rolls would have a higher rating if it were a worse movie.
Sometimes I think I could put the cut-off point at 1980 or so and only watch film or consume media of any sort before then. (Though sometimes I think otherwise, people are still doing interesting things...).

The Internet Archive has a complete collection of Michael Weldon's Psychotronic magazines as well as all 2.5 of the movie guides. And there is quite a selection of Film Noir, Lugosi & Karloff, Science Fiction and other low art gems available there too.

Recently watched 'The Hound of the Baskervilles' - which probably doesn't need a recommendation. I think Nigel Bruce is my favourite Watson...though I guess some would consider that a fairly low bar to pass.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

fafnir wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:02 am
Does Sarah Silverman have anything interesting and non-generic to say about anything important?
Does it matter?

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

She's still capable of saying funny stuff. (Except when she's paired with Seth Rogan. That causes a black hole of humor.)

But her humor rarely appears on her twitter. it's all Silverman Must Denounce.

And for those who find her sexy, Sarah does offer a certain specialized variety of sensual content, free on BigNaturalToes.net

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

free thoughtpolice wrote: After reading all your posts and the memes
Thanks for not blocking me, truly.

free thoughtpolice

Did you know that Rambo was the creation of a Canadian? I have to apologize for that. He makes Americans look like bloodlusting anti-authoritarian savages that hates their government (and probably their fucking parents).
Strangers in a strange land.

Keating

Post by Keating »

Huh? The first Rambo (which is the only one you should watch) is a very good anti-war film.

John D

Post by John D »

Angela Lansbury… RIP

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

John D wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:35 pm
Angela Lansbury… RIP
Cause will be revealed after the final set of commercials.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

MarcusAu wrote: Sometimes I think I could put the cut-off point at 1980 or so and only watch film or consume media of any sort before then.
Tonight we watched 'Going Places' aka 'Les Valseuses' ... the 1974 film which 'The Jesus Rolls' was a remake-of.
https://fmovies.wtf/movie/going-places-pr959/1-full

It's two guys & a girl, waltzing around the edge of proper society, snippets & jumpcuts in time.
So basically Godard's 'Bande à Part' ...except now it's the 70's and it's in color & they are have long hair & flare pants... and the suit-wearing dandy elegance has degenerated into sexy-thug goonery. The male leads have the lowbrow appeal of the Hanson Brothers in Slapshot.

It's like a missing link between French New Wave... and Peter Fonda in 'Dirty Larry Crazy Mary'. (Next stop Smokey & the Bandit. Who knew there was any lineage there at-all?!)

While we're at-it... I'll note that Tarantino named his production company A Band Apart & used Bridgette Fonda in homage to the sexy girl in Les Valeuses... as well as his 'Gecko Brothers' in Dusk til Dawn being similar to the crime-bros in this film.

Aww... I'm probably not making any sense.

But... In the past I wasn't a huge fan of french new wave. It was something to 'appreciate' more than enjoy. But- in this case-- I enjoyed how predictably Les Valseuses adhered to the genre. It was like watching an old Western which contains many tropes you've seen in other old Westerns... and the familiarity putting a smile on yer face.

So anyway the important part is that Gerard Depardieu was incredibly young when this movie was made, and has a vulgar animal virility. The other male lead is probably considered the James Dean or River Phoenix of french movies-- epic troubles in his pedigree/ youth/ rise/ stardom/ downfall/ suicide.

And then there's sexy young thing Miou-Miou. She's naked a lot. And another hot young blonde chick in a dirty scene where the droogies intimidate/seduce a nursing mother into letting them suckle on a train.

I can't wait to ask Turturro what on earth inspired him to remake this movie as a Big Lebowski spin-off. (I also kinda already know the answer.)

Lastly-- I continue to be amazed by the triple-vaxed-retardation of lightly-woke internet manlets.

Here's a negative review of The Jesus Rolls-- based entirely on the fucking TRAILER, plus the reviewer reading the wikipedia entry for the french version... and deciding it *sounds* offensive.
"Sounds very ’70s, and very French. Only in French movies could thugs who assault women, steal, and murder also be “whimsical and aimless”....

[the reviewer is upset they didn't whitewash the Jesus character... to make him a noble Latinx...]
"Not only are they not trying to retcon the character’s horrible past crimes, they’re steering in to it even more?"

[and, hey, why-not personally attack the actor/director with an armchair diagnosis?!...]
"20 years of people telling you how much they love a particular character you played surely gives an actor a sense that people connect with said character. But it’s much more like people enjoy Turturro’s outrageous portrayal of the Jesus more than the character himself. Jesus Quintana is a repugnant horrorshow of a man; he’s not a lovable misunderstood rogue."

https://nerdist.com/article/the-jesus-r ... -lebowski/

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

free thoughtpolice wrote: Did you know that Rambo was the creation of a Canadian?
He should make a buddy cop movie with Herschel Walker:
Morrell is a graduate of the National Outdoor Leadership School for wilderness survival as well as the G. Gordon Liddy Academy of Corporate Security. He is also an honorary lifetime member of the Special Operations Association and the Association of Former Intelligence Officers.[2]

According to his website, he has been trained to handle firearms, crisis negotiation, assuming identities, executive protection, and defensive driving, among numerous other action skills that he describes in his novels.

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

jet_lagg wrote:
fafnir wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:02 am
Does it matter?

Her hotness, subjective though it may be, is negated by the fact that Jimmy "Button Mushroom" Kimmel has sullied her twinkle-cave.

Keating

Post by Keating »

fafnir

Post by fafnir »

I just see a cardboard cutout person with a decent rack, and a high maintenance on at that.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Her comic persona is this extreme version of the narcissistic BPD woman saying the quiet part out loud that always made me laugh. Like breaking up with Kimmel via music video (“I’m fucking Matt Damon”) or the standup sketch where she prays to God semen is found in her dead grandmother’s vagina because it will prove her foul play theory and allow her to win an argument with her parents.

fafnir

Post by fafnir »

jet_lagg wrote: Her comic persona is this extreme version of the narcissistic BPD woman saying the quiet part out loud that always made me laugh. Like breaking up with Kimmel via music video (“I’m fucking Matt Damon”) or the standup sketch where she prays to God semen is found in her dead grandmother’s vagina because it will prove her foul play theory and allow her to win an argument with her parents.
Sure. I used to like her too. For me at least, the world in which she was funny is gone. I think it was funny when I thought the joke was just a joke, and not actively undermining the thing being mocked. It was funnier before I started to think maybe the things she was mocking were better than anything people like her had to offer to replace them with. Now, I see her as a malevolent narcist playing the character of a malevolent narcist.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Service Dog wrote: ...probably not making any sense...
I'm in no position to cast the first stone on that one...

Appreciate the review (and making a mental note to see it...sometime...perhaps) - though I can barely spell 'Casheirs du Cinema' and the first New Wave film to spring to mind is that one with Richard Gere.

On the other hand I enjoyed the Post-Modern society goes to hell aspect of 'Weekend' (Or whatever the French translation is).

And on the third hand - I thought that Turturro's role in the Big Lewbowski was first a character in a play. (Which doesn't really contradict what you were saying).

I think it could be very easy to view the Big Lewbowski & the semi sequel in a negative light - as they portray a child molester in a joking fashion...and also associate the name Jesus with pedophilia.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

fafnir wrote: Sure. I used to like her too.
I think her sister played the secretary / receptionist on Dr Katz if you are looking for an alternative.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

fafnir wrote: the world in which she was funny is gone... actively undermining the thing being mocked.... the things she was mocking were better than anything people like her had... to replace them with... a malevolent narcist playing the character of a malevolent narcist.
The anti-hero is such a strong archetype in Boomer culture. But I count 3 stages of anti-hero... and they all are corrosive:

1. First there's the righteous innocent... the footloose pied piper who just wants to dance/ a threat to the uptight adults' oppressive control. That one sucks because it adheres to simplistic goody-vs-baddy morality, merely inverting the roles/ refusing to admit the bad-guys might have good reason for their stuffy rules.

2. Then there's the nihilist brute... corrupt, damaged, retarded... Travis Bickle or Sid Vicious not bothering to have redeeming qualities: he's supposedly holding a mirror to rotten society/ giving-them-back what they deserve/ by unrepentantly sucking.

3. Today's version keeps the rebel underdog pose, while shamelessly parroting every authority-approved diktat. That's Seth Rogan pretends that smoking weed is still counterculture. Or Howard 'Hillary & Covid' Stern, woke Saturday Night Live, AOC, Beto & Trudeau, Matthew Mcconaughey, Eminem, Madonna, Louis C.K.

fafnir

Post by fafnir »

Service Dog wrote:
fafnir wrote: the world in which she was funny is gone... actively undermining the thing being mocked.... the things she was mocking were better than anything people like her had... to replace them with... a malevolent narcist playing the character of a malevolent narcist.
First there's the righteous innocent... the footloose pied piper who just wants to dance/ a threat to the uptight adults' oppressive control. That one sucks because it adheres to simplistic goody-vs-baddy morality, merely inverting the roles/ refusing to admit the bad-guys might have good reason for their stuffy rules.
You made me think here of Dirty Dancing. The last time I watched it, years ago... I think I took away that the daughter is somehow proved right. Now I'm looking at it, and she is leveraging the safety created by people like her dad for hedonism and individualistic moral posing. Safety comes from having rules and boundaries that hold back the chaos. She treats that safety, like her dads money, as an inexhaustible well. It's not long before people like her wash all that away. It's like the movie takes place in the brief period after the water has rolled back, but before the tsunami has destroyed everything, watching people ignore the warnings and dance on the beach.

fafnir

Post by fafnir »

It's almost the classic story of the consequences of the sexual revolution. In Dirty Dancing, the abortion is this rare shocking thing. Her parents have a stable marriage. That world has been washed away by her compassion, and now abortions are common, and her parents marriage is much rarer.

free thoughtpolice

Some Russians debating how they can use Comrade Elon Musk as a mouthpiece for their propaganda, like they do with Comrade Tuckir Carsonovovich.

free thoughtpolice

Carlsonovovich.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

fafnir wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:20 am
Sure. I used to like her too. For me at least, the world in which she was funny is gone.
She's still funny sometimes. Just never on purpose.

But once more I have to press the important question, does it really matter?

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

You have to appreciate what a multi-layered joke that would have been. Jew that sees Nazi's everywhere, but also Hollywood limo liberal so far removed from blue collar life she doesn't know what a utility marker is.