The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Old subthreads
RichardReed84
.
.
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:28 am
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#4321

Post by RichardReed84 »

Should I put Derpy in a racist hat? :)

AnonymousCowherd
.
.
Posts: 1708
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:49 am
Location: The Penumbra of Doubt
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#4322

Post by AnonymousCowherd »

Notung wrote:
AnonymousCowherd wrote:YES. Using "begs" when they mean "invites" the question is really annoying. To beg the question is to fail to answer it, as "begging off". But I think we fight a losing battle.
Is it? I've always understood it to be: one's argument requires ('begs') a particular answer to the central question ('the question') it is trying to answer.
Yup. That's the particular way they avoid the question. Your more detailed explanation is what I understand as well, and my use of the "begging off" wording was meant to be a purely linguistic usage reference, not a description of the logical problem, but I didn't make that at all clear.

Probably still haven't.

tl,dr; I agree

Al Stefanelli
.
.
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:55 am
Location: Peachtree City, GA
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#4323

Post by Al Stefanelli »

TMI Alert

[spoiler]Hey, got some good news just now. The tests came back negative. I do not have prostate cancer. So, I suppose it's either medication or surgery to get that fucker a bit smaller.

Blood sugar is up to 187, though. Seems my pancreas is not manufacturing enough insulin to process the sugar, so it's passing through into my bladder, adding sugar to my urine. Doc says it's likely diabetes, but can also be renal glucosuria, so got some more tests coming up next week.

I'll keep y'all posted.[/spoiler]

AnonymousCowherd
.
.
Posts: 1708
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:49 am
Location: The Penumbra of Doubt
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#4324

Post by AnonymousCowherd »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
AnonymousCowherd wrote:
AbsurdWalls wrote:
UnbelieveSteve wrote:Fucken elevatorGATE revisited. I thank DPR Jones for his latest input.
http://unbelievesteve.wordpress.com/201 ... one-night/
Please don't use "begs the question" wrongly.
YES. Using "begs" when they mean "invites" the question is really annoying. To beg the question is to fail to answer it, as "begging off". But I think we fight a losing battle.

As with people who say "refute" when they mean "dispute" - a refution being a reasoned rebuttal, not just an "I disagree, poopyhead".

\old fart
A "refution"?!?
Yes, that is how we say it on our part of the world - you got a problem with that?

Notung
.
.
Posts: 644
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:49 am
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#4325

Post by Notung »

AbsurdWalls wrote:I believe I am correct in saying that every syllogism becomes a begged question once you remove the caveat that the conclusion is only valid if the premises are accepted.
That's a very good point - I actually studied this a bit when I made a talking-heads YouTube video a while ago on the Kalam Argument (now taken down). Some of the (really very good) objections I got from Christians were saying 'if you can say this about the Kalam argument, can't you say that about all syllogisms?

That was what was wrong with my video (basically I was straw-manning Craig as BC Laig, above). Actually Craig's justification is a priori, that is we don't enumerate particulars, but base it on a widely accepted principle that 'from nothing, nothing comes', or whatever.

So I can't get Craig so easily on that point.

I remember reading this at the time (it was all before I started philosophy at uni) - http://www.logicmuseum.com/hypothetical ... etitio.htm - it was helpful, but I'm not sure if he's right or not. Still, it tries to answer your question.

Dilurk
.
.
Posts: 1215
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:04 pm
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#4326

Post by Dilurk »

Notung wrote:
AnonymousCowherd wrote:YES. Using "begs" when they mean "invites" the question is really annoying. To beg the question is to fail to answer it, as "begging off". But I think we fight a losing battle.
Is it? I've always understood it to be: one's argument requires ('begs') a particular answer to the central question ('the question') it is trying to answer.

e.g.

Billy Crane Laig (because I'm modifying WLC's justifications for the premises) claims that:

1) Whatever begins to exist has a cause
It fails right at 1) There is a logical fallacy here equivocation
One can say a chair begins to exist when all the component parts are assembled into what we all agree is a chair, but the molecules that make up the chair already existed. So yes there was a cause, someone put that chair together but the atoms already existed. We cannot say anything about the case where the atoms/energy did not exist in the first place.

As an aside, Theists also seem to have a big problem understanding emergent properties e.g. When exactly is a chair a chair?.
2) The universe began to exist
3) (1,2) The universe had a cause

1) is true (claims BCL) because everything we can think of that begins to exist, also has a cause.
2) is true (granted)
so 3).

However (says I), if 2) is true then the universe must count as something that begins to exist. So when we say that everything we know that begins to exist has a cause, we must also know this about the universe, otherwise our justification for 1) doesn't work. So we must also know that 3) is true to be able to say that both 1) and 2) are true. So BCL's argument begs the question, i.e. it requires that the universe had a cause.
As with people who say "refute" when they mean "dispute" - a refution being a reasoned rebuttal, not just an "I disagree, poopyhead".
I believe the correct term is 'refudiate'. /sarahpalin

Karmakin
.
.
Posts: 1437
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:49 am
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#4327

Post by Karmakin »

@Skep and Barnowl: I think the most important thing here is the SJW mindset that the world MUST be perfect for them, and cater to them in every single way or it's just the worst thing ever. This and of itself would just be a delusional, self-entitled worldview, worthy of being ignored and shunned, but unfortunately I do think it has to be pushed against, and pushed against hard.

The reason for this, is that I do think that this worldview ends up undermining the actual work that people are doing to make the world a better place. Progress stops being an actual thing. Who cares about progress? It's either everything or nothing.

Mind you, when you're talking about something like rape, you're never going to get down to zero rapes. It's simply not going to happen. No messaging is going to reach the freak in the bushes, ever. Now, there are things we can do to reduce the number of inadvertent rapes. (But no, they don't like talking about this) Educating both men and women on proper sexual communication as well as a sex-positive society to take away the conventions of being expected to pressure someone into sex. But that starts by understanding that this is a whole lot of grey area, and you're never going to get perfection. And that's something that these people don't want to do.

The truth is, as someone who is probably MORE radical on harassment policies than the baboons, they want their fucking cake and to eat it too, by and large. They want a society where the right guys will still be able to seduce them but all those ugly creepy guys will just go into a corner and die. Basically, they want men to be mind readers.

Mind readers under the influence of alcohol.

Yeah. That's realistic.

Dave
.
.
Posts: 1975
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:03 am
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#4328

Post by Dave »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote: Why couldn't Meyers and friends have sorted out this cash in the backchannel? It doesn't seem like she was asking for that much, given it could be spread over 30 or so people (some of whom have decent real jobs in addition to FfTB).
Why inconvince your friends when you can scam the marks?

jjbinx007
.
.
Posts: 433
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:16 am
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#4329

Post by jjbinx007 »

Saying the best way to prevent rape is for men not to do the raping is a little bit like Abstinence as the cure for not having babies.

Yes, both are valid ways to prevent rape/babies but taking (or using) precautions is also sensible.

Cunning Punt
.
.
Posts: 1335
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:50 am
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#4330

Post by Cunning Punt »

AnonymousCowherd wrote:
AbsurdWalls wrote:
UnbelieveSteve wrote:Fucken elevatorGATE revisited. I thank DPR Jones for his latest input.
http://unbelievesteve.wordpress.com/201 ... one-night/
Please don't use "begs the question" wrongly.
YES. Using "begs" when they mean "invites" the question is really annoying. To beg the question is to fail to answer it, as "begging off". But I think we fight a losing battle.

As with people who say "refute" when they mean "dispute" - a refution being a reasoned rebuttal, not just an "I disagree, poopyhead".

\old fart
No. "Begging the question" is a logical fallacy. It means that the premise of your argument contains the conclusion.

E.g ."The belief in God is universal. After all, everyone believes in God."

It bugs me too when people misuse this phrase.

Notung
.
.
Posts: 644
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:49 am
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#4331

Post by Notung »

Dilurk wrote:It fails right at 1) There is a logical fallacy here equivocation
One can say a chair begins to exist when all the component parts are assembled into what we all agree is a chair, but the molecules that make up the chair already existed. So yes there was a cause, someone put that chair together but the atoms already existed. We cannot say anything about the case where the atoms/energy did not exist in the first place.

As an aside, Theists also seem to have a big problem understanding emergent properties e.g. When exactly is a chair a chair?.
Well, I think that depends on the justification. If we accept ex nihilo nihil fit ('from naffink, naffink comes innit') then I don't think your objection really defeats it. That isn't to say that I think that the argument works, just that your objection only works if the theist defends that premise in a particular way, i.e. empirically.

As for 'when is a chair a chair' - yes, I saw a video where Craig was mocking someone for saying that objects with a beginning (that we are acquainted with) come from pre-existing materials. Craig says 'have I always existed? Was I here when the dinosaurs...'. That would seem to make the mistake you're talking about - to ignore that these properties are emergent.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit
Posts: 10819
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:58 pm
Location: Punggye-ri
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#4332

Post by Lsuoma »

Dave wrote:
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote: Why couldn't Meyers and friends have sorted out this cash in the backchannel? It doesn't seem like she was asking for that much, given it could be spread over 30 or so people (some of whom have decent real jobs in addition to FfTB).
Why inconvince your friends when you can scam the marks?
I'm inconvinced!

AnonymousCowherd
.
.
Posts: 1708
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:49 am
Location: The Penumbra of Doubt
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#4333

Post by AnonymousCowherd »

Al Stefanelli wrote:TMI Alert

[spoiler]Hey, got some good news just now. The tests came back negative. I do not have prostate cancer. So, I suppose it's either medication or surgery to get that fucker a bit smaller.

Blood sugar is up to 187, though. Seems my pancreas is not manufacturing enough insulin to process the sugar, so it's passing through into my bladder, adding sugar to my urine. Doc says it's likely diabetes, but can also be renal glucosuria, so got some more tests coming up next week.

I'll keep y'all posted.[/spoiler]
Congrats Al, I hope that stays clear for you. I'm no MD but, speaking from experience, get a few opinions on the prostate. We've had a guy in our neck of the woods who is a Big Noise in the area of prostate surgery and there are patients who swear he saved their life, but I've had my own GP and several friends who are doctors and medical researchers tell me this guy is full of it.

If the diabetes is Type 2, there is a lot or research now suggesting dietary change (including the booze) can help. Not easy though, and YMMV.

Best of luck.

Remick
.
.
Posts: 312
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:47 pm
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#4334

Post by Remick »

Philip of Tealand wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:
Remick wrote:But why Carrier, does ANYONE actually pay attention to him?
I *used* to read his blog for his no-holds-barred biblical textual critiques, (an interest of mine), as they ran bravely against the orthodoxy of the biased Xtian so-called bible-scholars.

tl;dr: He is a pretty good bible scholar, despite his unearned galaxy-sized ego.

That is why I pay(ed) attention to him. For his stuff totally unrelated to Social Justice Worrier bilge.
(But, like PZ "battling" creationists, the bar for success in biblical criticism is set exceptionally low. Esp when arguing with those lying dogmatic bell-ends who are convinced that Jesus actually existed, for fux sake! Anyone with an IQ>70 who is vaguely able to read the original languages is able to demolish this bit of blatant propagandistic fiction.)
I disagreed with him in many occasions (about biblical history), and he actually encouraged polite dissent, and answered rational enquiries without flying off the handle of his Thor-like Banhammer.
This.

I got to know of Richard Carrier via Earl Doherty, I've read "Not the impossible faith" - his rebuttal to Lee Strobel's utter nonsense and I've also read and heard a lot of his essays and lectures about the bible. I think he is a good historian on that subject and I'm actually still interested in reading his book about the non existence of Jesus.

Then he turned out to be a colossal prat in all other things he stuck his nose into, this whole Atheism + garbage and the other reprehensible nonsense he has been churning out really has dented the image of the sort of person I thought he was. Like you say, his rational historic work and replies contain nothing of this vitriol and racist bollocks, a lot of it was worth reading.

Stupid idiot, I have very little respect left for him now, to repeatedly keep firing the bazooka at the space where his foot used to be smacks of madness.
Good to know. I only became aware of him recently and he seemed totally without value.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
.
.
Posts: 11875
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:56 pm
Location: Nice, France
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#4335

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

AnonymousCowherd wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
AnonymousCowherd wrote:
AbsurdWalls wrote:
UnbelieveSteve wrote:Fucken elevatorGATE revisited. I thank DPR Jones for his latest input.
http://unbelievesteve.wordpress.com/201 ... one-night/
Please don't use "begs the question" wrongly.
YES. Using "begs" when they mean "invites" the question is really annoying. To beg the question is to fail to answer it, as "begging off". But I think we fight a losing battle.

As with people who say "refute" when they mean "dispute" - a refution being a reasoned rebuttal, not just an "I disagree, poopyhead".

\old fart
A "refution"?!?
Yes, that is how we say it on our part of the world - you got a problem with that?
"ON" our part of the world?!?

katamari Damassi
.
.
Posts: 5426
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:32 am
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#4336

Post by katamari Damassi »

ERV wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:And that's how I look at what she did. I look at in light of people who truly cannot afford the massive hospital bills they compile due to an illness like cancer.
And according to Jen 'IM THE ONLY ONE WHO CARES ABOUT THE LITTLE PEOPLE!!' McCreight, anyone who points that out are 'assholes' and 'horrible people'.

A PLUS!!!
Correction: Jen "I"M THE ONLY ONE WHO CARES ABOUT THE LITTLE PEOPLE AS LONG AS I DON'T HAVE TO ACTUALLY SEE THEM ON THE STREET" McCreight.

Mykeru
.
.
Posts: 4758
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:52 am
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#4337

Post by Mykeru »

Some current issues:

Begging the Question

"Begging the question" is a logical fallacy where the person is assuming, as part of the premises, that which they are trying to prove. People who say "it begs the question" to mean "raises the question" are assholes who should have their malfunctioning frontal lobes carved out with a plastic spork and their skulls used as a planter.

TMI Alerts

Thank you, Al, for letting us know you have a prostate the size of a bagel and not doing a Bristol Stool Scale report on your greasy morning shit instead.

Steersman

Is still a dick.

Dilurk
.
.
Posts: 1215
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:04 pm
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#4338

Post by Dilurk »

Notung wrote:
Dilurk wrote:It fails right at 1) There is a logical fallacy here equivocation
One can say a chair begins to exist when all the component parts are assembled into what we all agree is a chair, but the molecules that make up the chair already existed. So yes there was a cause, someone put that chair together but the atoms already existed. We cannot say anything about the case where the atoms/energy did not exist in the first place.

As an aside, Theists also seem to have a big problem understanding emergent properties e.g. When exactly is a chair a chair?.
Well, I think that depends on the justification. If we accept ex nihilo nihil fit ('from naffink, naffink comes innit') then I don't think your objection really defeats it. That isn't to say that I think that the argument works, just that your objection only works if the theist defends that premise in a particular way, i.e. empirically.
The objection is from the statement "everything that begins to exist has a cause" He is making the argument that "The universe began to exist" well, we are here so yes it did, but that is not the same thing as making an apple pie since we need the apple pie molecules etc. to make an apple pie, and we already have those. He is insisting that something came from ex nihilo to make the universe, but then you cannot make the claim then that the "cause" or even insisting there had to be a "cause" of making a universe is the same as the "cause" of baking an apple pie. In assuming there was a cause and equivocating it to a "cause" we see in day to day life, he's also made a "assume the conclusion" error here in claiming there was a cause in the first place.

As for 'when is a chair a chair' - yes, I saw a video where Craig was mocking someone for saying that objects with a beginning (that we are acquainted with) come from pre-existing materials. Craig says 'have I always existed? Was I here when the dinosaurs...'. That would seem to make the mistake you're talking about - to ignore that these properties are emergent.
Always. They exist that there is no other explanation than a soul. since inanimate objects cannot have a mind; The mind body duality nonsense. This is in line with the "is a single molecule of water wet?"
Or the bad analogy "If a bolt falls off of your car, do you still own a car?"

Al Stefanelli
.
.
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:55 am
Location: Peachtree City, GA
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#4339

Post by Al Stefanelli »

AnonymousCowherd wrote:
Al Stefanelli wrote:TMI Alert

[spoiler]Hey, got some good news just now. The tests came back negative. I do not have prostate cancer. So, I suppose it's either medication or surgery to get that fucker a bit smaller.

Blood sugar is up to 187, though. Seems my pancreas is not manufacturing enough insulin to process the sugar, so it's passing through into my bladder, adding sugar to my urine. Doc says it's likely diabetes, but can also be renal glucosuria, so got some more tests coming up next week.

I'll keep y'all posted.[/spoiler]
Congrats Al, I hope that stays clear for you. I'm no MD but, speaking from experience, get a few opinions on the prostate. We've had a guy in our neck of the woods who is a Big Noise in the area of prostate surgery and there are patients who swear he saved their life, but I've had my own GP and several friends who are doctors and medical researchers tell me this guy is full of it.

If the diabetes is Type 2, there is a lot or research now suggesting dietary change (including the booze) can help. Not easy though, and YMMV.

Best of luck.
Thanks for the well-wishes. I try to get second opinions whenever I can, particularly having had a somewhat prominent Neurologist at a somewhat prominent teaching hospital misdiagnose my Parkinson's as Multiple Sclerosis and had me on some powerful but unnecessary medication for five fucking years.

TBH, the diabetes thing was unexpected, as I had been regularly tested (every six months) since 1997 up until 2010 because I've got a chronic case advanced peripheral neuropathy, which is usually caused by diabetes. Thanks to a DatScan I had late last year, they concluded that it's a hereditary strain, which is degenerative and incurable. So, I figured that would be that.

The high blood sugar count was discovered after blood and urine tests were done to check for prostate cancer, and, as I said, we were all kind of surprised. Getting a second opinion is problematic, only because I have Medicare. However, it is not impossible, so if the order of the day is surgery, I'll go that route. If it's medication, I'll leave it at that.

The disabilities I have are not uncommon. Lots of people have Parkinson's, Neuropathies, Cognitive Impairment, Diabetes, etc. Lots of people have mobility problems that require the use of canes, wheelchairs and walkers. Yeah, it's a horrible pain in the ass, and there's some fucked up shit involved, and at times it is extremely inconvenient - particularly in older areas where there are little or no ADA provisions.

But there are those who are much, much worse off and facing issues that are way more complicated and invasive to day to day living, such as Renee's guy. My mother passed away in 1985 from Lymphoma, so I am familiar with it, and it's complications and the various prognoses. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemies.

katamari Damassi
.
.
Posts: 5426
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:32 am
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#4340

Post by katamari Damassi »

Karmakin wrote:@Skep and Barnowl: I think the most important thing here is the SJW mindset that the world MUST be perfect for them, and cater to them in every single way or it's just the worst thing ever. This and of itself would just be a delusional, self-entitled worldview, worthy of being ignored and shunned, but unfortunately I do think it has to be pushed against, and pushed against hard.

The reason for this, is that I do think that this worldview ends up undermining the actual work that people are doing to make the world a better place. Progress stops being an actual thing. Who cares about progress? It's either everything or nothing.

Mind you, when you're talking about something like rape, you're never going to get down to zero rapes. It's simply not going to happen. No messaging is going to reach the freak in the bushes, ever. Now, there are things we can do to reduce the number of inadvertent rapes. (But no, they don't like talking about this) Educating both men and women on proper sexual communication as well as a sex-positive society to take away the conventions of being expected to pressure someone into sex. But that starts by understanding that this is a whole lot of grey area, and you're never going to get perfection. And that's something that these people don't want to do.

The truth is, as someone who is probably MORE radical on harassment policies than the baboons, they want their fucking cake and to eat it too, by and large. They want a society where the right guys will still be able to seduce them but all those ugly creepy guys will just go into a corner and die. Basically, they want men to be mind readers.

Mind readers under the influence of alcohol.

Yeah. That's realistic.
:clap:
You've crystalized my thoughts exactly. I'm a progressive, yet I find myself constantly frustrated by other progressives or those who claim that they are, because every incremental improvement is treated like an insult because it didn't instantly usher in their utopia.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
.
.
Posts: 11875
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:56 pm
Location: Nice, France
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#4341

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Mykery wrote:
are assholes who should have their malfunctioning frontal lobes carved out with a plastic spork and their skulls used as a planter.
Well, this begs the question...


*ducks*

Mykeru
.
.
Posts: 4758
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:52 am
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#4342

Post by Mykeru »

Dilurk wrote: but that is not the same thing as making an apple pie since we need the apple pie molecules etc. to make an apple pie, and we already have those.
http://cdn2.hark.com/images/000/454/942 ... iginal.jpg
"Apple pie molecules?"

Dilurk
.
.
Posts: 1215
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:04 pm
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#4343

Post by Dilurk »

Mykeru wrote:Some current issues:

Begging the Question

"Begging the question" is a logical fallacy where the person is assuming, as part of the premises, that which they are trying to prove. People who say "it begs the question" to mean "raises the question" are assholes who should have their malfunctioning frontal lobes carved out with a plastic spork and their skulls used as a planter.
Yes, they are "loosers"

*runs fast*

TMI Alerts

Thank you, Al, for letting us know you have a prostate the size of a bagel and not doing a Bristol Stool Scale report on your greasy morning shit instead.
Mykeru that was TMI.. Good damn thing I have had breakfast already.

Steersman

Is still a dick.

Dilurk
.
.
Posts: 1215
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:04 pm
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#4344

Post by Dilurk »

Mykeru wrote:
Dilurk wrote: but that is not the same thing as making an apple pie since we need the apple pie molecules etc. to make an apple pie, and we already have those.
http://cdn2.hark.com/images/000/454/942 ... iginal.jpg
"Apple pie molecules?"
I hereby condemn you to drinking some of the water that has pissed through Hitler's bladder today.

Godwin! I win!

Mykeru
.
.
Posts: 4758
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:52 am
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#4345

Post by Mykeru »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Mykery wrote:
are assholes who should have their malfunctioning frontal lobes carved out with a plastic spork and their skulls used as a planter.
Well, this begs the question...


*ducks*
[spoiler]http://www.pactogo.com/media/catalog/pr ... spork1.jpg[/spoiler]

ReneeHendricks
.
.
Posts: 2244
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:48 am
Location: Kent, WA
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#4346

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Michael K Gray wrote:Sorry Renee, I have been gifting mutiple donations under a false understanding to "Operation Smile"!
All this time I was under the impression that it was "Operation Slime".
Bugger.

(Now there's an idea...)
:D "Operation Slime" does have a certain ring to it. Thanks so much for your donations, btw. I'm loving that we're helping so many kids to have beautiful smiles!

SPACKlick
.
.
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:45 am
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#4347

Post by SPACKlick »

AnonymousCowherd wrote:[spoiler]
Za-zen wrote:Whether EG actually exists is hugely relevant for a number of reasons, not least in understanding Watsons agenda. But damn do we really want to rehash those well beat arguments? Of course we do!

If The Elevator incident is a fiction created from the addled brain of a booze child, then it points quite clearly that the author of the fiction is a dangerous liar, who cares not for the consequence of her fantasy, as long as it serves her.

If Ra and others know that this is a fantasy, at least in part, but decided to not reveal it to be so, for reasons of the "bigger picture" or whatever justification they have used for perpetuating a mythology. I say shame on you, you are as self serving and corrupt as those who share the stage with faith healers, knowing full well that they are frauds, but compartmentalising it, because hey! They save souls!
Loath as I am to diss a fellow Slymepitter, I have lost a bit of respect for Ra if he has withheld his input in Elevatorgate for those reasons. Perhaps he thought that "the elevator incident happened well after I left - I have nothing to contribute there". I'm sure he'll be happy with that.

That his input, you know, facts and stuff, would have contradicted RW's account(s) in some respects is obviously not important.[/spoiler]
What the hell did I miss? Have DPR and AronRa confirmed EG as a fraud or something or are we a long way down a hypothetical track?

I can never keep up with the pyt anymore

ReneeHendricks
.
.
Posts: 2244
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:48 am
Location: Kent, WA
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#4348

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Michael K Gray wrote:And that's another thing Renée!
Why does your charity "HELP A CHILD TO SLIME AGAIN" only offer USA states as options?
I keep having to select as "STATE": [none], rather than "PANIC!".
That may well be my last donation for the week (weak?) as a result.
Hrrrmph!

Yours in indignation,
Col Michael Gray-Smythe-Smith-Stoat-Gobbler, OBE (Retd) (Mrs)
LOL! Thanks for the first official laugh of the morning for me :)

CommanderTuvok
.
.
Posts: 3741
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:18 pm
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#4349

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Does anybody know of any response from any of the Baboons over the DPRJones/Twatson story?

I've got a bucketload of popcorn ready to go.

welch
.
.
Posts: 9208
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:05 am
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#4350

Post by welch »

jjbinx007 wrote:Saying the best way to prevent rape is for men not to do the raping is a little bit like Abstinence as the cure for not having babies.

Yes, both are valid ways to prevent rape/babies but taking (or using) precautions is also sensible.

The best way to prevent murder is for people not to kill other people.

While such statements are fun, and of course, correct, they don't really exist in the real world. As an ideal, sure. That would be the ideal situation: people would stop taking what ain't theres, beating people up, raping, murdering, all of it. But, since that isn't happening anytime soon, even though again, it is a worthy *goal*, then it behooves us to live in the world we're currently stuck with.

That means that people need to learn how to protect themselves, and how to spot problems early on, so they can be more easily avoided. Insisting you deal correctly with "what is" while working towards "what should be" would seem to be the only rational course of action.

CommanderTuvok
.
.
Posts: 3741
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:18 pm
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#4351

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Renee, is that your dog? If so, what's the name?

AnonymousCowherd
.
.
Posts: 1708
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:49 am
Location: The Penumbra of Doubt
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#4352

Post by AnonymousCowherd »

Notung wrote:
AbsurdWalls wrote:I believe I am correct in saying that every syllogism becomes a begged question once you remove the caveat that the conclusion is only valid if the premises are accepted.
No. The validity of the conclusion is independent of the truth of the premises. If you are asking "is every syllogism analytic", then "no" again, since that is a property of propositions, not syllogisms. Is the "content" of the conclusion somehow "contained" in the premises, such that the conclusion adds nothing to the statement of the premises? Again, "no", because the conclusion requires the addition of the laws of logical deduction (or, if you prefer the set of logical relations between propositions) to the premises. If those premises are about empirical states of affairs, then you can argue that the logical laws must be in agreement with the empirical. Not a strong condition, mind you, and a lot will turn on how those two are construed.

It amuses me to think that the premises cannot necessarily be deduced from the conclusion and so, in that sense are not "contained in it". If you are given that "Therefore, this is white", you can't infer the premises. It might be "all swans are white: this is a swan:" but it might be any number of other things. That non-reversability has a mathematical analogue but also suggests that work has been done, entropy has increased and, if we are to come to know something new, those conditions must also be met so, maybe, syllogisms do tell us something new.

Hardly a knock down argument, but I'm no philosopher.

katamari Damassi
.
.
Posts: 5426
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:32 am
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#4353

Post by katamari Damassi »

ReneeHendricks wrote:FTR and because I feel like just fucking venting, Greta Christina can kiss my ever-loving, eternal ass. My guy is going to have part of his fucking tongue removed on the 25th. This is along with removing the mass on his neck and doing a throat camera look. Somehow, I'm thinking there aren't shoes out there to compensate for a piece of your fucking tongue. Her "fundraiser" is all the more assholish in light of what my guy is going through. A giant FUCK YOU to Greta. And her fucking ugly ass shoes.
Sorry to hear this. I hope his prognosis is good and he gets through the procedure well.

Oneiros666
.
.
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:57 am
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#4354

Post by Oneiros666 »

People, people; we need to stay focused: The utter, merciless annhiliation of A+theism.

Our efforts are working and A+theism's fora activities are dwindling like a pile of fresh shit roasting in the Sahara. Soon they will have banned everyone over there and people can get back to what atheism and secularism is about: Disbelief in god(s) and keeping god(s) out of government.

Fuck those cunts hard. You know, with pineapples.

Mykeru
.
.
Posts: 4758
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:52 am
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#4355

Post by Mykeru »

CommanderTuvok wrote:Does anybody know of any response from any of the Baboons over the DPRJones/Twatson story?

I've got a bucketload of popcorn ready to go.
It'll be crickets until they can find a reason to call him a rapist.

jjbinx007
.
.
Posts: 433
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:16 am
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#4356

Post by jjbinx007 »

SPACKlick wrote: What the hell did I miss? Have DPR and AronRa confirmed EG as a fraud or something or are we a long way down a hypothetical track?

I can never keep up with the pyt anymore
It seems the timeline of events went like this:

2.30/3.00am: DPR Jones and RW went to his room to do a blog TV session. (If someone could find this and confirm how long it went on for it would be useful.)

4.00am: RW was back downstairs at the bar before leaving to go to her room at approximately 4am. Elevatorguy then said he found her talk interesting and would she like to go for coffee to discuss this further. She was creeped out by it.

Matt Dillahunty says it doesn't matter if EG is real or not. If the DPR/RW blog tv session went on for over an hour then it's possible EG wasn't real at all.

For the record, I tend to believe RW's version of events. I believe she did have an exchange of words with a guy in the elevator. The guy sounded polite but probably nervous, she obviously felt as though he was creepy. But that's just my personal opinion, I don't know any more about it than you do.

ReneeHendricks
.
.
Posts: 2244
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:48 am
Location: Kent, WA
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#4357

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Al Stefanelli wrote:TMI Alert

[spoiler]Hey, got some good news just now. The tests came back negative. I do not have prostate cancer. So, I suppose it's either medication or surgery to get that fucker a bit smaller.

Blood sugar is up to 187, though. Seems my pancreas is not manufacturing enough insulin to process the sugar, so it's passing through into my bladder, adding sugar to my urine. Doc says it's likely diabetes, but can also be renal glucosuria, so got some more tests coming up next week.

I'll keep y'all posted.[/spoiler]
Yeah on the good news, Al!

ThreeFlangedJavis
.
.
Posts: 1469
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:13 am
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#4358

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

Dilurk wrote:The objection is from the statement "everything that begins to exist has a cause" He is making the argument that "The universe began to exist" well, we are here so yes it did, but that is not the same thing as making an apple pie since we need the apple pie molecules etc. to make an apple pie, and we already have those. He is insisting that something came from ex nihilo to make the universe, but then you cannot make the claim then that the "cause" or even insisting there had to be a "cause" of making a universe is the same as the "cause" of baking an apple pie. In assuming there was a cause and equivocating it to a "cause" we see in day to day life, he's also made a "assume the conclusion" error here in claiming there was a cause in the first place.
Out of my depth with formal philosophy, but I believe that what you are talking about there is the error of attributing properties of the contents of a set to the set itself.

jjbinx007
.
.
Posts: 433
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:16 am
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#4359

Post by jjbinx007 »

Here's a quick update on the poll:

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=234

Currently 31 people have responded. 30 believe that women are people, 1 does not.

97% of Slymepitters who have responded so far are Feminists, according to the definition used by PZ Myers on FTB.

ReneeHendricks
.
.
Posts: 2244
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:48 am
Location: Kent, WA
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#4360

Post by ReneeHendricks »

CommanderTuvok wrote:Renee, is that your dog? If so, what's the name?
Yep, that's my Chihuahua/Whippet. Her name is Willow.

Philip of Tealand
.
.
Posts: 259
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:11 am

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#4361

Post by Philip of Tealand »

welch wrote:Ophelia wants the world planed smooth for her. She wants no challenge harder than making coffee, she wishes all accomplishments to be handed to her simply because she showed up. To her I say:

http://zenpencils.com/comic/86-randy-pa ... ick-walls/

How bad do you want it? That's what you get.

When my son was much younger, third grade or so, we would play "Pokemon Stadium" together. The first few times we played, I won, and he started talking about how that was unfair, because I was older. I told him:

"Kiddo, I'm not going to ever "let you win". I think that's a kind of lying, and I try not to lie to you. But I will tell you this. If you practice, you'll get better, and one day, you'll beat me. When you do, you'll know that I didn't let you win, but that you earned honest victory from an opponent who was sincerely trying to wipe the floor with you. I guarantee, you'll like how that feels."

A month or so later, he won. Wasn't pretty, the little bastard had turned into some kind of video game Patton on me. The victory dance lasted about twenty minutes, and I let him have every minute of it because he'd earned it, fairly and honestly.

If the only victories and achievements we get are the ones handed to us, then we don't have shit. Sure, we all wish things were easier or better. But to actively try to make things go all "Harrison Bergeron"?

That's kinda fucked up.
If your child ever takes over the world, it will be awesome! :D

I actually prefer the analogy to the Twilight Zone Episode - Its a Good Life where any actor from The Drama Society is little Bill Mumy and any attempt to educate them means we get sent to the cornfield/BANNED!!

:D

CommanderTuvok
.
.
Posts: 3741
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:18 pm
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#4362

Post by CommanderTuvok »

ReneeHendricks wrote:
CommanderTuvok wrote:Renee, is that your dog? If so, what's the name?
Yep, that's my Chihuahua/Whippet. Her name is Willow.
She's a beauty. I'm proud to say The Slymepit is a "safe space" for our canine friends.

Altair
.
.
Posts: 800
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:44 am
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#4363

Post by Altair »

ReneeHendricks wrote:FTR and because I feel like just fucking venting, Greta Christina can kiss my ever-loving, eternal ass. My guy is going to have part of his fucking tongue removed on the 25th. This is along with removing the mass on his neck and doing a throat camera look. Somehow, I'm thinking there aren't shoes out there to compensate for a piece of your fucking tongue. Her "fundraiser" is all the more assholish in light of what my guy is going through. A giant FUCK YOU to Greta. And her fucking ugly ass shoes.
I'm still several pages behind, but I have to respond to this. Best wishes to you and your guy, Renee, I hope everything goes all right and if there's anything we can do to help, don't hesitate to ask.

LMU
.
.
Posts: 617
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:40 am
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#4364

Post by LMU »

jjbinx007 wrote:Here's a quick update on the poll:

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=234

Currently 31 people have responded. 30 believe that women are people, 1 does not.

97% of Slymepitters who have responded so far are Feminists, according to the definition used by PZ Myers on FTB.
There are a number of possible responses to this. For example: The 1 that does not clearly shows that we are a den of slime and misogyny. Or contrariwise: The huge number of feminist answers indicates that we are in fact a forum full of baboon poes pretending to be slymepitters. Or because the 1 that does not was clearly Mykeru: Mykeruuuuuuuuuu!

welch
.
.
Posts: 9208
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:05 am
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#4365

Post by welch »

You know, I bet all the FTB lot, or most of them at least have read the various studies that show just how incredibly bad human memory can be, and normally is. Like the experiment where a researcher was able to get people to "remember" interacting with and even taking pictures with Bugs Bunny....at Disneyland. Details: http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=98195&page=1

Over and over, there are studies that show human memory, under the best of conditions, is not reliable at all, yet, everyone is accepting Watson's inebriated memory as the word of $DEITY.


That's the least of their silliness mind you, but one that amuses me greatly. At this point, even if it didn't happen, (and we have no real proof either way), it's become so important to Watson et al, that, in a sense, Dillahunty has a point: the reality of EG no longer matters. They all believe it unto the tenth generation. They're no longer really even *lying*, in the sense of deliberately telling a falsehood. They truly believe it, so at worst, it's become "believing something without proof."

It's kind of fascinating to watch.

The irony of it is that I and others never really cared either way. Watson wants to be creeped out by EG, that's her choice, her right. She wants people to stop asking people to coffee/sex/play in the ball pit in the lobby in elevators, okay. I mean, it's a little unrealistic, and a bit arrogant to try to tell everyone what is and is not creepy for everyone, but sure, she's a right to say that.

Doesn't mean anyone has to agree with her. If you're going to tell me I have to agree with her, well, my only quandary will be which middle finger I show you in response.

For my part, it's the rank hypocrisy. Telling people they have no right to "mansplain" to rebecca how there was zero harm, or how she should feel, and then, damned near in the same breath, tell other people that their feelings are wrong, they should feel differently and there was zero harm. How anything even vaguely resembling a threat is so very traumatic that Benson is still irrational about it, and yet telling people you'll snap their necks is a minor moment of rudeness.

on and on. Fuck, i'd have far fewer problems with them if, even as stupid as what they spout is, they applied the standards they demand of everyone to themselves. A corollary to the golden rule? "Ask not of others what you answer not yourself"* or something like that.



*i may have heard that somewhere before, so it is entirely probably that someone else said it first, and i'm just repeating it.

welch
.
.
Posts: 9208
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:05 am
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#4366

Post by welch »

Oneiros666 wrote:People, people; we need to stay focused: The utter, merciless annhiliation of A+theism.

Our efforts are working and A+theism's fora activities are dwindling like a pile of fresh shit roasting in the Sahara. Soon they will have banned everyone over there and people can get back to what atheism and secularism is about: Disbelief in god(s) and keeping god(s) out of government.

Fuck those cunts hard. You know, with pineapples.

Pfft. I love that it exists. It's like watching an acrobatic show put on by manatees.

aqi
.
.
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:35 am
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#4367

Post by aqi »

jjbinx007 wrote:
2.30/3.00am: DPR Jones and RW went to his room to do a blog TV session. (If someone could find this and confirm how long it went on for it would be useful.)

....
For the record, I tend to believe RW's version of events. I believe she did have an exchange of words with a guy in the elevator. The guy sounded polite but probably nervous, she obviously felt as though he was creepy. But that's just my personal opinion, I don't know any more about it than you do.
The links to another blogger's account of the event that I gave earlier show thta the interview RW did was the night BEFORE Elevatorgate night. The blog TV session was a whole evening before.

Mykeru
.
.
Posts: 4758
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:52 am
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#4368

Post by Mykeru »

jjbinx007 wrote:For the record, I tend to believe RW's version of events. I believe she did have an exchange of words with a guy in the elevator. The guy sounded polite but probably nervous, she obviously felt as though he was creepy. But that's just my personal opinion, I don't know any more about it than you do.

Do you believe Rebecca Watson's version of events when she says, in her HFA speech in Florida, that she had a stalker who ran the blog ElevatorGate, lived locally and was prevented from going to the event by the organizers, when ElevatorGate is some teenager living in the UK?

Do you believe Rebecca Watson's version of events when she says The SlymePit is a site "dedicated to hating her" and one of the posters here, Sacha, claimed she was going to a conference to accost Watson and had her name removed from the registration when, in fact, the conference organizers let Sacha register under a pseudonym to protect her from Rebecca Watson?

If not, why do you believe her about this?

welch
.
.
Posts: 9208
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:05 am
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#4369

Post by welch »

Mykeru wrote:
CommanderTuvok wrote:Does anybody know of any response from any of the Baboons over the DPRJones/Twatson story?

I've got a bucketload of popcorn ready to go.
It'll be crickets until they can find a reason to call him a rapist reapist.

Fixed that for you.

welch
.
.
Posts: 9208
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:05 am
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#4370

Post by welch »

Philip of Tealand wrote:
welch wrote:Ophelia wants the world planed smooth for her. She wants no challenge harder than making coffee, she wishes all accomplishments to be handed to her simply because she showed up. To her I say:

http://zenpencils.com/comic/86-randy-pa ... ick-walls/

How bad do you want it? That's what you get.

When my son was much younger, third grade or so, we would play "Pokemon Stadium" together. The first few times we played, I won, and he started talking about how that was unfair, because I was older. I told him:

"Kiddo, I'm not going to ever "let you win". I think that's a kind of lying, and I try not to lie to you. But I will tell you this. If you practice, you'll get better, and one day, you'll beat me. When you do, you'll know that I didn't let you win, but that you earned honest victory from an opponent who was sincerely trying to wipe the floor with you. I guarantee, you'll like how that feels."

A month or so later, he won. Wasn't pretty, the little bastard had turned into some kind of video game Patton on me. The victory dance lasted about twenty minutes, and I let him have every minute of it because he'd earned it, fairly and honestly.

If the only victories and achievements we get are the ones handed to us, then we don't have shit. Sure, we all wish things were easier or better. But to actively try to make things go all "Harrison Bergeron"?

That's kinda fucked up.
If your child ever takes over the world, it will be awesome! :D

I actually prefer the analogy to the Twilight Zone Episode - Its a Good Life where any actor from The Drama Society is little Bill Mumy and any attempt to educate them means we get sent to the cornfield/BANNED!!

:D
It is rather interesting watching him grow. he's managed to go from occasionally funny to regularly hilarious. His take on haunted houses:
Three rules to follow when in a haunted mansion:

1. I will have music playing in every room. Not light hearted music, or classical music. I will play Heavy Metal. Ramstein is a solid choice. If haunting persists, switch to shitty dubstep remixes.

2. Should lighting flicker on and off, I shall record this with my camera phone and use the evidence to claim faulty electrical wiring and get reduced bills. The same method can be applied to water services.

3. Should there be unexplained noises in the various rooms, especially in an attic or cellar, I will shout at the top of my lungs "Very melodramatic aren't we?" to make the ghosts feel silly.

AnonymousCowherd
.
.
Posts: 1708
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:49 am
Location: The Penumbra of Doubt
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#4371

Post by AnonymousCowherd »

Notung wrote:
AnonymousCowherd wrote:YES. Using "begs" when they mean "invites" the question is really annoying. To beg the question is to fail to answer it, as "begging off". But I think we fight a losing battle.
Is it? I've always understood it to be: one's argument requires ('begs') a particular answer to the central question ('the question') it is trying to answer.

e.g.

Billy Crane Laig (because I'm modifying WLC's justifications for the premises) claims that:

1) Whatever begins to exist has a cause
2) The universe began to exist
3) (1,2) The universe had a cause

1) is true (claims BCL) because everything we can think of that begins to exist, also has a cause.
2) is true (granted)
so 3).

However (says I), if 2) is true then the universe must count as something that begins to exist. So when we say that everything we know that begins to exist has a cause, we must also know this about the universe, otherwise our justification for 1) doesn't work. So we must also know that 3) is true to be able to say that both 1) and 2) are true. So BCL's argument begs the question, i.e. it requires that the universe had a cause.
As with people who say "refute" when they mean "dispute" - a refution being a reasoned rebuttal, not just an "I disagree, poopyhead".
I believe the correct term is 'refudiate'. /sarahpalin
The "syllogism" can be re-written;

1.Everything that exists has a cause; (since it can't exist without begining to exist)
2.Everything exists; (by definition)
3.Therefore, everything has a cause.

1=3 and 2 is immaterial. So now it just looks more like the empty re-statement of the premises that it actually is.

AnonymousCowherd
.
.
Posts: 1708
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:49 am
Location: The Penumbra of Doubt
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#4372

Post by AnonymousCowherd »

katamari Damassi wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:FTR and because I feel like just fucking venting, Greta Christina can kiss my ever-loving, eternal ass. My guy is going to have part of his fucking tongue removed on the 25th. This is along with removing the mass on his neck and doing a throat camera look. Somehow, I'm thinking there aren't shoes out there to compensate for a piece of your fucking tongue. Her "fundraiser" is all the more assholish in light of what my guy is going through. A giant FUCK YOU to Greta. And her fucking ugly ass shoes.
Sorry to hear this. I hope his prognosis is good and he gets through the procedure well.
Crap. That sucks Renee. Best wishes.

Karmakin
.
.
Posts: 1437
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:49 am
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#4373

Post by Karmakin »

katamari Damassi wrote:
Karmakin wrote:@Skep and Barnowl: I think the most important thing here is the SJW mindset that the world MUST be perfect for them, and cater to them in every single way or it's just the worst thing ever. This and of itself would just be a delusional, self-entitled worldview, worthy of being ignored and shunned, but unfortunately I do think it has to be pushed against, and pushed against hard.

The reason for this, is that I do think that this worldview ends up undermining the actual work that people are doing to make the world a better place. Progress stops being an actual thing. Who cares about progress? It's either everything or nothing.

Mind you, when you're talking about something like rape, you're never going to get down to zero rapes. It's simply not going to happen. No messaging is going to reach the freak in the bushes, ever. Now, there are things we can do to reduce the number of inadvertent rapes. (But no, they don't like talking about this) Educating both men and women on proper sexual communication as well as a sex-positive society to take away the conventions of being expected to pressure someone into sex. But that starts by understanding that this is a whole lot of grey area, and you're never going to get perfection. And that's something that these people don't want to do.

The truth is, as someone who is probably MORE radical on harassment policies than the baboons, they want their fucking cake and to eat it too, by and large. They want a society where the right guys will still be able to seduce them but all those ugly creepy guys will just go into a corner and die. Basically, they want men to be mind readers.

Mind readers under the influence of alcohol.

Yeah. That's realistic.
:clap:
You've crystalized my thoughts exactly. I'm a progressive, yet I find myself constantly frustrated by other progressives or those who claim that they are, because every incremental improvement is treated like an insult because it didn't instantly usher in their utopia.
We've ALWAYS been dealing with this problem, in progressive political circles. When I started it was Nader-rama...the whole "heighten the contradictions" thing, now you see it with the Greenwald fanatics.

There's nothing new under the sun, I guess.

ReneeHendricks
.
.
Posts: 2244
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:48 am
Location: Kent, WA
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#4374

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Thank you - all of you - for the well-wishes/etal. Being able to vent here has helped tremendously. 'Pitters rule!

Phil_Giordana_FCD
.
.
Posts: 11875
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:56 pm
Location: Nice, France
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#4375

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

CommanderTuvok wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:
CommanderTuvok wrote:Renee, is that your dog? If so, what's the name?
Yep, that's my Chihuahua/Whippet. Her name is Willow.
She's a beauty. I'm proud to say The Slymepit is a "safe space" for our canine friends.
My kitteh and snake wish to send you a nice box of fuck you. What's the address for the parcel?

AnonymousCowherd
.
.
Posts: 1708
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:49 am
Location: The Penumbra of Doubt
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#4376

Post by AnonymousCowherd »

LMU wrote:
jjbinx007 wrote:Here's a quick update on the poll:

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=234

Currently 31 people have responded. 30 believe that women are people, 1 does not.

97% of Slymepitters who have responded so far are Feminists, according to the definition used by PZ Myers on FTB.
There are a number of possible responses to this. For example: The 1 that does not clearly shows that we are a den of slime and misogyny. Or contrariwise: The huge number of feminist answers indicates that we are in fact a forum full of baboon poes pretending to be slymepitters. Or because the 1 that does not was clearly Mykeru: Mykeruuuuuuuuuu!
Hell, only 30 out of 500+ 'pitters said they were feminist, not that you can belive a word those scum say. That means 94% of them ADMIT to being misogynist arsehole rapists. QE fuckin' D!

jjbinx007
.
.
Posts: 433
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:16 am
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#4377

Post by jjbinx007 »

aqi wrote: The links to another blogger's account of the event that I gave earlier show thta the interview RW did was the night BEFORE Elevatorgate night. The blog TV session was a whole evening before.
Ah ok, thanks for that.

Mykeru: Just because I disbelieve Watson about the 2 incidents you describe doesn't mean I disbelieve her about everything she says. PZ Myers commits the fallacy of writing off everything we say simply because we're Slymepitters. I'll continue to evaluate every claim individually regardless of who's saying it.

I did use the expression that I "believed" Watson, although I have no proof either way. It doesn't seem like a particularly extraordinary claim. If it turns out that evidence comes to light indicating that RW made the whole lot up then so be it.

Dick Strawkins
.
.
Posts: 5859
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:34 pm
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#4378

Post by Dick Strawkins »

jjbinx007 wrote:
SPACKlick wrote: What the hell did I miss? Have DPR and AronRa confirmed EG as a fraud or something or are we a long way down a hypothetical track?

I can never keep up with the pyt anymore
It seems the timeline of events went like this:

2.30/3.00am: DPR Jones and RW went to his room to do a blog TV session. (If someone could find this and confirm how long it went on for it would be useful.)

4.00am: RW was back downstairs at the bar before leaving to go to her room at approximately 4am. Elevatorguy then said he found her talk interesting and would she like to go for coffee to discuss this further. She was creeped out by it.

Matt Dillahunty says it doesn't matter if EG is real or not. If the DPR/RW blog tv session went on for over an hour then it's possible EG wasn't real at all.

For the record, I tend to believe RW's version of events. I believe she did have an exchange of words with a guy in the elevator. The guy sounded polite but probably nervous, she obviously felt as though he was creepy. But that's just my personal opinion, I don't know any more about it than you do.
No, this is not correct.
DPR Jones made a mistake.
The drunken vblogging between Jones, Watson and AronRa occurred on the 3rd of June, at 2.30 AM on the Friday night/Saturday morning.

This is confirmed by a blogger who was at the conference.
http://middleagedboy.wordpress.com/2011 ... nd-part-1/

According to Watson the elevatorgate incident happened the evening after she had spoken at the conference.
This places it on Saturday night, the 4th of June, or technically, early on the morning of the 5th of June.
http://middleagedboy.wordpress.com/2011 ... nd-part-3/

Despite his mistake, I think the DPR Jones information does provide one new interesting fact.
That is, the intent of Elevatorguy.
Up until now people had been assuming that the only reason you would ask someone back to your room is to fuck them.
Well that is clearly not the case. Someone found Watson interesting enough to ask her back to his room just the previous night.
And she said yes.
It had nothing to do with sex (I presume!)

So what are the chances that elevatorguy just wanted to interview Watson for a podcast or blog post or some other sort of story?
Probably quite low. He was probably a fan who fancied his chances.
On the other hand the fact that she was invited to someones room the previous night for the purposes of a podcase shows that it is a possibility. In that case it is wise to be skeptical of claims that EG had one thing in mind.

Dilurk
.
.
Posts: 1215
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:04 pm
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#4379

Post by Dilurk »

Mykeru wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Mykery wrote:
are assholes who should have their malfunctioning frontal lobes carved out with a plastic spork and their skulls used as a planter.
Well, this begs the question...


*ducks*
[spoiler]http://www.pactogo.com/media/catalog/pr ... spork1.jpg[/spoiler]
With a spoiler tag there is no spoon.

Dilurk
.
.
Posts: 1215
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:04 pm
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#4380

Post by Dilurk »

jjbinx007 wrote:
aqi wrote: The links to another blogger's account of the event that I gave earlier show thta the interview RW did was the night BEFORE Elevatorgate night. The blog TV session was a whole evening before.
You mean, that I posted first. That was the point of me posting the obvious link in the first place. It confirms the drunken vlog incident happened on the Friday night.

Ah ok, thanks for that.

Mykeru: Just because I disbelieve Watson about the 2 incidents you describe doesn't mean I disbelieve her about everything she says. PZ Myers commits the fallacy of writing off everything we say simply because we're Slymepitters. I'll continue to evaluate every claim individually regardless of who's saying it.

I did use the expression that I "believed" Watson, although I have no proof either way. It doesn't seem like a particularly extraordinary claim. If it turns out that evidence comes to light indicating that RW made the whole lot up then so be it.

Locked