Service Dog

Re: Steerzing in a New Direction...

Post by Service Dog »

Midnight-- afterhours inside Ikea.

A very fat squirrel
walked directly to the Swedish groceries section,
tore-open a box of granola-with-nuts,
dived right in. Clearly his routine.

buttons from a big bowl at the employee check-in desk.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Free. currently available. about 4 feet wide.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Steersman wrote: :-) "Damian", am I?
It's not always about you.
Dang. Another fond illusion bites the dust ...
Sometimes, it's about reminiscing about the good ole days when Damian was a constant gaping cunt.
Ah, the good ole days. Though don't remember him being all that much of a "cunt".

But I should have said that it was you who was playing the role of him in asking the very good question as to why I thought that the standard definition for "woman" - i.e., "adult human female (produces ova)" - was the "right" one.

Do you now accept the reasons I gave? Have you used that "ammunition" to unhorse that FB commentator?

Their "argument" is little better than "self-identification", a more idiotic and cretinous "idea" is scarcely imaginable. At least outside of the Trinity.

But we are not going to turn the TransLoonie Tide, not going to kick Lia Thomas and his odious ilk out of women's sports, prisons, change-rooms, and the like unless we can give good solid reasons why they're pretty much madder than hatters. Think we all have a responsibility to step up to that plate.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Steersman wrote:
MarcusAu wrote:
Steersman wrote: You may wish to let her - or her ex - know about the Substack for Parents with Inconvenient Truths about Trans...
And on a related note - if you are sitting comfortably Mr Steersman...

...Tell me about your mother...
:-) Eliza? I'll let you talk to her yourself ... ;-)

http://psych.fullerton.edu/mbirnbaum/psych101/eliza.htm

I do see the resemblance...

Eliza1.png
(14.55 KiB) Downloaded 219 times

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Service Dog wrote:
fuzzy wrote: Please don't let it be that service dog just uttered the steersmanism neither fish nor fowl ...Please don't let it be that service dog just uttered the steersmanism neither fish nor fowl ...
Shhh.... I'm feeding him his own tail.
As I was going through a field of wheat,
I found something good to eat,
Neither fish nor foul,
Nor flesh, nor bone,
I kept it till it ran alone.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

MarcusAu wrote:
Steersman wrote: <snip>
:-) Eliza? I'll let you talk to her yourself ... ;-)

http://psych.fullerton.edu/mbirnbaum/psych101/eliza.htm
I do see the resemblance...

Eliza1.png
:-) Bred in the bone - or the silicon as the case may be ... ;-)

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

MarcusAu wrote: As I was going through a field of wheat,
I found something good to eat,
Neither fish nor foul,
Nor flesh, nor bone,
I kept it till it ran alone.
Was it a vagina? The breakfast of champions? It was a vagina, wasn't it?

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Bhurzum wrote: Was it a vagina? The breakfast of champions? It was a vagina, wasn't it?
Service Dog wrote: Free. currently available. about 4 feet wide.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

MarcusAu wrote:
Bhurzum wrote: Was it a vagina? The breakfast of champions? It was a vagina, wasn't it?
Service Dog wrote: Free. currently available. about 4 feet wide.
:-)
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:21 am
... the good ole days when Damian was a constant gaping cunt.

;-)

Though reminds me of fuzzy's avatar, the full name for The Pit, and an old cartoon showing a seriously peeved married couple, who've apparently just turned the air "blue" in a recent exchange, in the office of a marriage counselor who has said something to the effect of:

"We're not likely to have much progress unless you can both deep-six epithets like 'canyon-cunt' and 'needle-dick' ..." ;-)

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Suggestions needed to name this squirrel:
A veritable human squirrel has gone out on a limb and converted a massive tree in a Manhattan park into his own high-rise abode — and has been living there for months
https://nypost.com/2022/03/26/homeless- ... or-months/

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Some people may think Steersman is obsessed with what a woman really is, but in fact there are times when it is vital to know the correct gender/sex of a human:

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

free thoughtpolice wrote: Some people may think Steersman is obsessed with what a woman really is, but in fact there are times when it is vital to know the correct gender/sex of a human:
tps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ_-rmuPZC4
I don't understand.

Then again, I'm not a biologist...

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

free thoughtpolice wrote: Some people may think Steersman is obsessed with what a woman really is, but in fact there are times when it is vital to know the correct gender/sex of a human:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ_-rmuPZC4
:-) Sort of like MacBeth:
In Shakespeare's Macbeth the Witches' prophecy was that "...none of woman born/ Shall harm Macbeth" (IV.i). Unfortunately for Macbeth, the Scottish nobleman Macduff was "from his mother's womb/ Untimely ripped," and thus not naturally "born of woman".
https://www.medicinenet.com/section_ces ... nition.htm

But it wouldn't have been necessary for Posie Parker to have drawn a line in the sand with her billboard campaign, it wouldn't have been necessary to focus on and specify a definition for "woman" based on the biological definitions for "female" if so many weren't so clueless about basic biology and/or trying to corrupt biology for political purposes, or weren't outright as mad as hatters.

Including ostensible champions of science like Australia's Academy of Science - as I quoted from Joyce's Quillette article I mentioned earlier:
Anyone who identifies as a woman
— Australian Academy of Science
And Matt's buddy:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:49 pm
Let's see if this explanation of a woman I saw on FB will induce an infinite regression in Steerz.
So, for a Transexual, they are for all purposes, an adult human female (woman). This can be ascertained by level of hormone, placement of female, or removal of male genitalia, AND most importantly, the psychological awareness that the individual is in fact within the self, and believing so, an Adult woman. I would not expect a judge to know this, but most healthcare professionals know it, even if they would 'rather' not personally believe it, typically because of religious bias (yes there is such a thing). Gday.
So some "psychological awareness" and "believing so" is sufficient for Lia Thomas to qualify for women's sports?

What a bunch of cretins. Depressing that they were ever given the time of day.

Unfortunately, that's just the tip of the proverbial iceberg. It's part and parcel of the general corruption of science with many so-called feminists - with their rather "idiosyncratic", not to say self-serving, re-definition of biological sex - being almost as bad as the transloonies for contributing to that. Don't think my article on Wikipedia's Lysenkoism was starting at shadows - many others have suggested the problematic ubiquity of that "spirit of the times":
The Soviet Union lost a generation of genetics research to the politicization of science when Trofim Lysenko, director of biology under Joseph Stalin, parlayed his rejection of Mendelian genetics into a powerful political scientific movement. ....

It is difficult to imagine this situation repeating today, when rival views feed the scientific process, and inquiry and debate trump orthodoxy. Yet the spectre of Lysenkoism lurks in current scientific discourse on gender, race and intelligence.
https://www.nature.com/articles/457788a?proof=t%C2%A0

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Dr. Cat Pause, sociologist and public health expert, who'd recently been pwned by Steven Crowder, has died in her sleep. She was 41.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/educat ... s-suddenly
Her research is focused on the effects of fat stigma on health and well-being on fat individuals and how fat activists resist the fatpocalypse. She has called for a new fat ethics, acknowledging the role science has played in the oppression of fat people and ensuring that research around fatness centers fat epistemology.
https://theconversation.com/profiles/cat-pause-7078

fatcat.jpg
(98.14 KiB) Downloaded 152 times
fatlicious.jpg
(299.27 KiB) Downloaded 165 times

mordacious1

Post by mordacious1 »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Dr. Cat Pause, sociologist and public health expert, who'd recently been pwned by Steven Crowder, has died in her sleep. She was 41.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/educat ... s-suddenly
Her research is focused on the effects of fat stigma on health and well-being on fat individuals and how fat activists resist the fatpocalypse. She has called for a new fat ethics, acknowledging the role science has played in the oppression of fat people and ensuring that research around fatness centers fat epistemology.
https://theconversation.com/profiles/cat-pause-7078

fatcat.jpg

fatlicious.jpg
It appears that she may have had her PhD in Fat Studies. And, in her case, the “Piled Higher and Deeper” probably referred to her dinner plate.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Long phone conversation with an uncle. Growing up, he was my hero... taught me to ski on trails, up at the treeline of the Rockies. To weld, fix cars, live cheap, to have a MAD Magazine view of the world. He's very competitive... playing badminton in the back yard was like being beaten with a switch.

Much of our conversation was about politics. We talked at the end of last year, & I asked what he thought of Biden. He said "I'm a Democrat." Meaning that he had chosen-sides a long time ago & would rather be know-nothing loyal/ than waver, no matter how dark a day it is, for his team.

This time-- he described riding a mountain bike in the foothills, wearing a mask. He's in his 70's. A group of athletic young riders zipped-past him, and the one in front said, "Really, dude? A mask?" Uncle got mad & started pedaling hard... working his way forward, passing riders one-by-one thru the pack, to catch up. The guy in front pedaled faster. "He knew I was chasing him. I yelled, 'Slow down for me, dipshit!'" But the guy got-away. I asked uncle what he would have said, if he caught up. He said, "I don't know. Maybe kick his spokes."

Uncle thinks the Canadian truckers are assholes. He thought they were sure to include racists, but the cops are more-likely to be secret-nazi-lovers. He didn't know about the Sikh truckers. He thought I made-up all the stuff about the donors to the truckers being doxxed & the Canadian govt sending their names to banks to freeze their accounts. But when I finished telling the story-- he paraphrased my own story in bullet points, back to me. He had been taking notes. Intending to google what I said & debunk it as some fringe conspiracy theory.

As we talked about Ukraine... I mentioned the Holodomor... as the reason Ukrainians welcomed Hitler liberating them from the Soviets. And, quietly in the background, Uncle googled the word 'Holodomor'. I mentioned the Azov fighters. And he googled that & saw the swastika flags.

Whatever MSNBC fact-check he was looking-at... was worded to deliberately-obscure who-exactly are the Nazis. It said (something-like) "In every public statement about the invasion, Putin invokes this Nazi-imagery to justify..." Uncle thought that was a 'gotcha'... that it said Putin was the one espousing nazi-ism. So he started quoting-aloud... what he was reading. I said, no, Putin claims he's =fighting= nazis, he's not claiming to be a nazi. Uncle thought the fact-check proved me wrong... and so he repeated aloud what he had just read... but as he read/ he realized it didn't say what he thought it did.

It also said that the Ukrainians can't be Nazis, because Zelensky is a jew. So he told me so. And I said that's like saying the Charlottesville tiki-nazis can't be nazis-- because they like Trump. Which totally confused him. At first he thought I was saying Charlottesville weren't nazis. Or that they didn't like Trump. No... I was saying that Trump is pro-Israel & his daughter converted to Judaism & Trump has jewish grandkids. Trump & Zelensky are both jew-ish, but they still have some nazi fanboys. I tried to say, "All neonazis are trump supporters/ but very few trump supporters are neonazis". But the syllogism short-circuited uncle's brain. He didn't follow.

So then I tried to say-- that it was hypocritical to make a big deal about one confederate flag on January 6, one nazi flag in Ottawa, but be indifferent to the actual swastika battalion in Ukraine.

And uncle's reply was, 'Trump said the nazis in Charlottesville were "very fine people".'

...and... I didn't even dispute that. It told me how very far-apart our perspectives are. I can't clear-away all the Fake News which divides us.

He updated-me on which relatives were diagnosed with cancer, whose kid is graduating high school, who got divorced.

At the end he challenged me to name one medical condition caused by the Covid vax. I said, "Myocarditis", which seems-to-me like a feeble reply. But it was a simple, one-word googleable answer. He said, "How do you know it was the vaccine that caused that, not Covid?" I said, yeah, sure, maybe. I told him about the Pfizer-testing whistleblower published in the British Medical Journal-- and he conceded that sounded plausible. I told him Pfizer was forced by court-order to release documents, & they tried to postpone doing-so until 2076. And he believed me. I think he took more notes, planning to re-assure himself I'm wrong, after the call.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Growing up... Much of my sense that the Democrats were righteous ... came from my uncle. He despised Nixon for not getting-out of Vietnam, and for Watergate. He didn't like conservative christian ignorance & moralizing, nor the plunderous catholic church. He was pro-union, pro-farmer, suspicious of Big Business, skeptical of the mainstream teevee narrative.

He retains the belief that he is on the correct side. When that belief is untenable, he believes he's choosing the lesser-of-two-evils. And when his team is exposed as blatantly More Evil... he admits he doesn't give a damn.

fafnir

Post by fafnir »

Service Dog wrote: Growing up... Much of my sense that the Democrats were righteous ... came from my uncle. He despised Nixon for not getting-out of Vietnam, and for Watergate. He didn't like conservative christian ignorance & moralizing, nor the plunderous catholic church. He was pro-union, pro-farmer, suspicious of Big Business, skeptical of the mainstream teevee narrative.

He retains the belief that he is on the correct side. When that belief is untenable, he believes he's choosing the lesser-of-two-evils. And when his team is exposed as blatantly More Evil... he admits he doesn't give a damn.
It's a difficult thing. I talk to my mother and edge around the issue with other people in their late 70s. The whole post-war liberal idea of who the good guys were, and who the bad guys were and what was being worked for have been the structure that the hopes and dreams of their lives have been built around. Many of them were involved in student politics, and later in local government. All of their friends believe this stuff. They've educated their kids to believe this stuff. In some cases their kids and now working in the service of the machine that is supposed to be delivering liberal heaven. The dream of what the '68 meant is burned through them like Wordsworth's description of the French Revolution - "Bliss was it in that dawn to be alive, But to be young was very heaven!".

The idea that effectively all of that was naive bullshit that only served to strengthen everything they thought they were fighting against, and that many of their idols were entirely cynical is too much to bear. My mother is never going to believe that the Iraq War wasn't at least somewhat noble and worth it to remove a tyrant. Asking her why some dead child in Ukraine is a terrible horror that cannot be justified and means Putin is a monster, but the 10s of thousands of dead children in Iraq is not a horror and doesn't mean we are monsters cannot be contemplated. They would rather stay in the matrix and listen to John Lennon's Imagine with the volume turned way up to drown it all out.

fafnir

Post by fafnir »

Thinking about it, there is an element of rejecting the world of their parents and thinking they new better.... only to discover 60 years later that their parents may have been right, but it's too late to fix it. The world that had been handed down for generations and in which their children and grandchildren and great grandchildren might have had happy little lives is falling apart because they thought they saw a new day dawning and that their parents were horrible racists.

fafnir

Post by fafnir »

I still have an uncle I used to idolise. I guess he was a bit arrogant, but he could be magical. I don't see him very often. There was a family get together and I think I made some carefully non-politically specific reference to James Damore and my uncle came up with all this spiteful ignorant normie stuff as if the entirety of what he knew about it came from Rachel Maddow. I had a similar experience with an old University friend where it became clear he was under the absolute conviction that Pewdiepie was a literal neo-Nazi.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

fafnir wrote: a new day dawning
I'm willing to concede they were right about everything-- but they don't know when they've _won_ & it's time to stop.

It's like they peeled off the potato skin, the whole potato, and now they're carving-off their hand.

fafnir

Post by fafnir »

Service Dog wrote:
fafnir wrote: a new day dawning
I'm willing to concede they were right about everything-- but they don't know when they've _won_ & it's time to stop.

It's like they peeled off the potato skin, the whole potato, and now they're carving-off their hand.
I'm not willing to concede that. The problem with your analogy is that political actions and all the ideology and social change that comes with it has momentum. You can't just stop it like you can stop peeling a potato. It's like if you wanted to get from the 30th to the 29th floor and jumped out a window to do it. Sure, there is a way of looking at the problem that would be that it was all good it was just taken to far when you flew past the 29th floor and continued on down. The problem is that taking it too far was baked into the pie.

Personally, I trace the problem back way further, so I don't really blame them. The thing is that in their worldview they mattered and caused this better world to be born. I don't think they mattered.

fafnir

Post by fafnir »

Take one example. Freedom of association was burned on the altar of equality. Now the same people who did that, or support that, want to make freedom of association arguments for keeping trans-women out of women's changing rooms. You can't forge these political weapons, and undermine societies defences, and then expect only the list of things you want to be destroyed by them to be destroyed. These forces have an inner logic that they will follow through.

ThreeFlangedJavis

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

Service Dog wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:15 am
...As we talked about Ukraine... I mentioned the Holodomor... as the reason Ukrainians welcomed Hitler liberating them from the Soviets. And, quietly in the background, Uncle googled the word 'Holodomor'. I mentioned the Azov fighters. And he googled that & saw the swastika flags.

Whatever MSNBC fact-check he was looking-at... was worded to deliberately-obscure who-exactly are the Nazis. It said (something-like) "In every public statement about the invasion, Putin invokes this Nazi-imagery to justify..." Uncle thought that was a 'gotcha'... that it said Putin was the one espousing nazi-ism. So he started quoting-aloud... what he was reading. I said, no, Putin claims he's =fighting= nazis, he's not claiming to be a nazi. Uncle thought the fact-check proved me wrong... and so he repeated aloud what he had just read... but as he read/ he realized it didn't say what he thought it did.....
They say Putin is losing the information war. I disagree. The Western anti-establishment narrative (the best catch-all description I could think of) is dominated by Putin talking points. The MSM shot themselves in the foot with their past overstating of the far right presence in Ukraine and by failing to report on the nature of the illegal authorities in the DPR and Luhansk. That kind of reporting is dangerous and difficult. Finding more objective and informative reports now on what was or is happening there is nowhere near as easy as finding the compelling but ultimately false or distorted claims about supposed massacres and indiscriminate shelling. You will frequent;y see claims of 13000 dead with the implications that they're civilians killed by Ukraine. Truth is the majority are roughly equivalent numbers of Ukrainian and Russian aligned forces with less than a third being civilian. The OSCE monitors can find no evidence of massacres, although they can't monitor near the Russian border because the Russians won't let them. I wonder why? There is no evidence that Ukraine was planning an offensive before the invasion. That would have been insane under the circumstances and all the evidence is that the DPR and LPR manufactured a crisis to justify the invasion. The only confirmed massacre I know of is of besieged Ukrainian soldiers at Ilovaisk in 2014 who were promised safe passage through a corridor and then slaughtered. Remind you of anything contemporary? And people wonder why the Ukrainians flat out hate the DPR and LPR militias.

The Putin/anti-West fanboys are blind to irony. Biden is the evil, corrupt villain of the piece with his standard superpower fiddling in Ukraine and small-time corrupt swag (he's still a corrupt, lying cunt though). The lifelong public office holder dictator who has a palace, a $700 million yacht, a long lucky streak of conveniently expiring opponents and a fondness for other people's territory is the good guy. What can you say!

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Steersman wrote: :-) Sort of like MacBeth:
I think you mean The Scottish Play:

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Dr. Cat Pause, sociologist and public health expert, who'd recently been pwned by Steven Crowder, has died in her sleep. She was 41 stone.
FTFY.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Service Dog wrote: Growing up... Much of my sense that the Democrats were righteous ... came from my uncle. He despised Nixon for not getting-out of Vietnam, and for Watergate. He didn't like conservative christian ignorance & moralizing, nor the plunderous catholic church. He was pro-union, pro-farmer, suspicious of Big Business, skeptical of the mainstream teevee narrative.

Coming from a like-minded family, and bracing for a visit by my 'I'm a Democrat. End of Story' sister, I was thinking just yesterday about how Democrats could've shifted so far to the authoritarian, lunatic left.

- it's a team sport. If you're raised Democrat, Catholic, and a Red Sox fan, you don't ever start voting GOP, attend a Baptist church, or root for the Yankees;

- The shift was gradual at first;

- The Left believes in 'progress', so shifting to the next cause or iteration of a cause (e.g., tolerating gays > gay marriage > trans lunacy) feels natural. With no outside counterbalancing (see below), the 'progress' becomes runaway;

- Utopian idealism. The Left's agenda is not just to address problems, but to fundamentally restructure society to eradicate problems so from ever occurring they never occur;

- Groupthink. Societal changes, including social media, have isolated people into groups that all think alike;

- Discussion replaced by affirmation. When mixed up with folks who don't all think alike, you had to engage and debate those heterodox ideas. Now (like in a religion), you affirm group beliefs to reinforce group cohesion and to earn social credit;

- Arrogance. The Left is also isolated by education (cf. The Bell Curve), so they've come to believe they are smarter than everyone else. A million times I've heard leftists lament how working class people stupidly 'vote against their own interests';

- Ignorance. Of course, the leftist elite have no fucking clue what working class folks' real interests or concerns are;

- Frustration. Incapable of persuading those dolts to vote the way they should, the Left grew frustrated with our political system. This led to an embrace of ...

- Authoritarianism. Being smarter and more educated and, most importantly, more righteous than hoi polloi, the leftist elites now claim the duty and right to impose their will.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Lsuoma wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Dr. Cat Pause, sociologist and public health expert, who'd recently been pwned by Steven Crowder, has died in her sleep. She was 41 stone.
FTFY.
You're probably not off by much.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Audio on:

fafnir

Post by fafnir »

Who in the hell gets into a train carriage with a homeless man camping in it? Is this normal somewhere?

Also, that man has an impressive rack.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

fafnir wrote: Who in the hell gets into a train carriage with a homeless man camping in it? Is this normal somewhere?
Also, that man has an impressive rack.
It's plausible in current nyc-- but comments section thinks it's staged.

ThreeFlangedJavis

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:53 am
- The Left believes in 'progress', so shifting to the next cause or iteration of a cause (e.g., tolerating gays > gay marriage > trans lunacy) feels natural. With no outside counterbalancing (see below), the 'progress' becomes runaway;
- Authoritarianism. Being smarter and more educated and, most importantly, more righteous than hoi polloi, the leftist elites now claim the duty and right to impose their will.
I had a bit of a chuckle when I heard this gem from Orwell.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

The Road to Wigan Pier nailed it and, unfortunately, continues to nail it.

https://archive.org/details/roadtowigan ... 1/mode/2up

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Speaking of nailing, whenever I see the plodding, domineering fusspot Heather Heying, I'm reminded of the wife in ELECTION.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

fafnir wrote:

<snip>

Asking her why some dead child in Ukraine is a terrible horror that cannot be justified and means Putin is a monster, but the 10s of thousands of dead children in Iraq is not a horror and doesn't mean we are monsters cannot be contemplated. They would rather stay in the matrix and listen to John Lennon's Imagine with the volume turned way up to drown it all out.
Indeed. But nice analogy with "John Lennon's Imagine" - "don't confuse me with facts" and all that, lot of that going round these days:

YouTube_AreWeTheBaddies.jpg
(133.98 KiB) Downloaded 93 times

Maybe not exactly the "baddies", but certainly with less than an unblemished record; "pots and kettles" springs to mind. Though maybe there's an increasing recognition of that fact - which may forestall overly "precipitous" actions of one sort or another.
fafnir wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:01 am
.... The world that had been handed down for generations and in which their children and grandchildren and great grandchildren might have had happy little lives is falling apart because they thought they saw a new day dawning and that their parents were horrible racists.
Ah, the good olde days when tradition held sway ... ;-) Think you have something of an overly rosy view on the past. Not that the future is looking all that rosy either.
fafnir wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:07 am
... I think I made some carefully non-politically specific reference to James Damore and my uncle came up with all this spiteful ignorant normie stuff as if the entirety of what he knew about it came from Rachel Maddow. ...
Probably due to the fact that so many are so clueless about basic principles of statistics ... ;-)
fafnir wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:28 am
Take one example. Freedom of association was burned on the altar of equality. Now the same people who did that, or support that, want to make freedom of association arguments for keeping trans-women out of women's changing rooms. You can't forge these political weapons, and undermine societies defences, and then expect only the list of things you want to be destroyed by them to be destroyed. These forces have an inner logic that they will follow through.
Seems something akin to the "it's ok when we do it" "principle", although I'm not sure that "freedom of association" is all that relevant to the issue of "keeping transwomen [AKA male transvestites] out of women's changing rooms."

But quite agree with "inner logic"; a certain inexorability to events - "buy a gun in the first act then you have to use it by the third" - that should justify at least a bit of circumspection if not trepidation.

As I've mentioned recently, I'm just in the midst of re-reading Tuchman's "The Proud Tower" - highly recommended though Brive didn't seem overly impressed ... ;-) - that details some of the efforts at the turn of the century, just prior to WW1, to develop sytems for binding aribration of international disputes, and to curtail what was recognized even then as the ruinous investment in armaments. Of particular note was an observation at the first Hague Convention of 1899:
Why does no one write over the door of the Conference, "Mene, Tekel, Upharsin?" asked the anonymous correspondent of Le Temps who left such a vivid record of that summer. Watching Dutch fishermen's children playing in the streets and pairs of smiling girls who strolled by coquettishly, he wrote, "If this great assembly does not achieve its purpose, the stupid rivalries of states may one day mow down these young people and lay their corpses by the millions on the battlefields." [pg308]
Rather prescient as events turned out, particularly as that Conference, that "great assembly" really didn't make much progress at all towards those objectives.

But of some relevance to and bearing on current events - and likewise, if I'm not mistaken, with Tuchman's "The Guns of August". Seem to recollect that she had argued, in one of those books of hers, that events had more or less conspired to cause all combatants to fully mobilize their armies. But at that point, the first country to "stand-down" would be at a serious disadvantage so there was some "reason" to attack first.

Seem to recollect that that was more or less the theme from Dr. Strangelove:

10 to 20 million dead. Tops. Depending on the breaks.
The inexorability of "inner logic", indeed; sowing the wind and reaping the whirlwind.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

The instant they "blacken" the Oscars, look what happens...

Yup, black-on-black violence :lol:

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

If you think that was wild... at 8min30sec... he called his own mother a knitter !

Watching him scramble to improvise a sanctimonious justification-- for his guilty-ass red-handed crime...

so similar to Jussie Smollett !

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Bhurzum wrote: The instant they "blacken" the Oscars, look what happens...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myjEoDypUD8

Yup, black-on-black violence :lol:
Curb stomping at the Oscars! ;-)

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

The moment he was smacked, Chris Rock shoulda just started...

fafnir

Post by fafnir »

Service Dog wrote: The moment he was smacked, Chris Rock shoulda just started...
Then the Oscars would have been worth watching again, so it didn't happen. It's a pity the Aristocrats reaction has been done now, because that was an epic version of this kind of situation that did actually happen.

fafnir

Post by fafnir »

Service Dog wrote: The moment he was smacked, Chris Rock shoulda just started...
Then the Oscars would have been worth watching again, so it didn't happen. It's a pity the Aristocrats reaction has been done now, because that was an epic version of this kind of situation that did actually happen.

fafnir

Post by fafnir »

fafnir

Post by fafnir »

? No idea why my stupid browser posted that three times. It probably thought it was a brilliant and insightful post that deserved more attention.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

John D

Post by John D »

You know the Oscars have gone fully negro when the brothers start chimping out. Fantastic!

John D

Post by John D »

The cat named Schadenfreude -

Two weeks ago one of my daughter's special friends had an issue with their cat. They are a they-person with them/they pronouns. The cat had a complete blockage of urine. I was told this happens to some male cats. So he had to be unblocked. They are broke so they called a bunch of friends to pay for the operation.

Saturday my daughter called me and explained the cat was blocked again and needs a surgery. They basically have to reroute the cat's urethra into a "fake" vagina. They have tapped out all their money... including tapping out their friends. So the call goes to dear ole dad. They want to borrow about $5000 for the cat operation and they will pay me back. So... yeah... I either let the cat die or my daughter's they/them lover has to owe me money.

So... yeah. I paid the bill. They unblocked the cat and now they have to schedule the surgery. I just realized I paid for them to have a transfemale cat. Irony meter just broke.

PS - After avoiding me for four days my wife emerged from her room and said we should talk. We discussed different ways she could move out. She could divorce me and get half the 401k. She could easily live off the funds. In the end however she concluded that we should stay together. She really struggles to just care for herself. She keeps saying she doesn't want to live together as friends and she wants us to be in love again. Maybe we need a magic potion for this because it is gonna be hard to get back to how we felt years ago.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

fafnir wrote: ? No idea why my stupid browser posted that three times. It probably thought it was a brilliant and insightful post that deserved more attention.
The browser? It was Putin's fault.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

CNN analyst Asha Rangappa appeared to blame the chaotic scene that occurred after Will smith slapped Chris Rock during the 94th Annual Academy Awards on none other than longtime CNN nemesis former-President Trump.
CNN’s Asha Rangappa decided the Dolby Theater crowd stuck around because of Trump.

"So did like anyone walk out after that happened??? Or are we getting an independent psychological case study on how Trump got normalized?" Rangappa asked on Twitter.

Rangappa, who is one of the network’s more outspoken liberals on social media, was mocked last year for comparing a Southwest pilot who objected to President Biden to an ISIS sympathizer. A pilot on a Southwest flight from Houston to Albuquerque signed off his announcement for passengers by saying, "Let's Go Brandon," according to an Associated Press journalist who was reportedly on the flight.

The phrase had become codeword for a more profanity-laced message for Biden, and the CNN analysis took to Twitter with her thoughts after the pilot referenced it.

"As an experiment, I’d love for an @SouthwestAir pilot to say ‘Long live ISIS’ before taking off. My guess is that 1) the plane would be immediately grounded; 2) the pilot fired; and 3) a statement issued by the airline within a matter of hours," she tweeted.

Last year, Rangapappa doxxed an intern from the Washington Free Beacon, putting her personal contact information on Twitter for the world to see, and mocked her as "Karen" when she was forced to remove the message.

Rangappa, who is also a senior lecturer at Yale University, once criticized former U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley for going by Nikki, which is her middle name, instead of "Nimrata," the name on her birth certificate.

In February, Rangappa tweeted her support to continue wearing COVID masks.

"Masks are a reflection of social trust in society -- in Tocqueville's words, ‘self-interest well understood,’" she wrote. "It's the ability to make a small sacrifice that benefits the public good, and in doing so, benefits you, as well. The U.S. currently has very low levels of social trust."

https://www.foxnews.com/media/cnn-analy ... s-incident

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

No longer will white skinheads and klansmen be the only ones defending the honor of wimmenfolk with swift violence against disrespectful, uppity black boys & men. Black Wives Matter.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Ayanna Pressley's husband looks like he's trying to blink S.O.S.

John D

Post by John D »

This is a good episode. Some women are funny.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Ayanna Pressley's husband looks like he's trying to blink S.O.S.
Ah, marriage - "take my wife - please". Reminds me of the quip that many wives undergo a "Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde" transmogrification from before the vows to after the reception.

Probably why some argue marriage should be based on 5 or 10 year contracts, options to renew. Though I guess "no-fault divorce" boils down to the same thing. Still, the penalties for early withdrawal - so to speak - can be rather severe if not punitive. Robin Williams probably would have agreed:

"Divorce is like ripping a man's genitals out through his wallet"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/fil ... s%20wallet'

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Service Dog wrote: i.imgur.com/xtDwxRh.png

No longer will white skinheads and klansmen be the only ones defending the honor of wimmenfolk with swift violence against disrespectful, uppity black boys & men. Black Wives Matter.
🙂👍 +1 Internets; probably deserves to "go viral"

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Dog sees this wacky shit on a regular basis, but the haute couture on display at the oscars reveals just how far gone Hollywood is.

https://www.vogue.com/slideshow/2022-os ... 11_cral2-2

Anthony Hopkins looks dignified. The rest are complete freaks. Nicole Kidman looks like she got stuck in a giant pastry bag. I never even heard of most of the rest, but there sure are a lot of grignes.