Steerzing in a New Direction...

Old subthreads
Service Dog

Re: Steerzing in a New Direction...

Post by Service Dog »

Service Dog wrote: Cuomo says 37 year-old 1st attacker was trying to beat up 17 y.o. Rittenhouse, but Rittenhouse shouldn't be allowed to defend himself with gun.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
John D wrote: Barnes does have an ego the size of his belly.... still more often right than wrong.
Maybe so, but what's his resting BP? Huh? Huh?
Whatever It is, it’s probably wrong.

Time to reach a stable blood pressure
Simulations using the final model showed that only 50% of the population was stabilised to within 5 mmHg of systolic Prest after 5 min resting time, while up to 25 min may be needed to ensure stable BP in 90% of the population (full results in the Appendix). This resting time falls to 15.0 min if a variability of 10 mmHg is accepted.
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-12775-9

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

A lot of articles about white supremacy after the Kyle Rittenhouse ruling, the difference between black and white, etc, but they seemingly forget, or willingly ignore, the case of Timothy Simpkins, a black teen who shot up a school, tried to kill four people, arrested with a bond of 75 thousand dollars and then released less than 24 hours later. Kyle, on the other hand, had a bond of over 2 million.

Then, amazingly, there's the case of Andrew Coffee IV, a black man who was found not guilty of murder and ruled as self defense THE VERY SAME DAY as Kyle was released, only hours after Kyle's acquittal, but for some reason neglected by the mainstream media and not as publicised. Wonder why, eh?

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

They say "If Kyle wasn't white..." and they say he would-have been treated worse by the court system....

but they don't realize they're complaining on behalf of George Zimmerman.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Service Dog wrote: I am not 100% sure Joe Biden is a pedophile.

I am 100% sure Joe Biden would nail the audition, if Law & Order SVU is casting a pedophile role.

The petting, staring at the boy's body, the salivating breathing.

Disagree?

CHANGE YOUR MIND:

ThreeFlangedJavis

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:40 am
ThreeFlangedJavis wrote: Why are you so invested in them being wrong?
I don't believe I am.
You admit you didn't watch them.
I don't do long videos of people sitting in front of their zoom cameras working their gobs while I stare up their hairy nostrils. Give me a transcript. Bullet points. Something I can skim over second breakfast, instead of watching for an hour when I should be out splitting wood.
How do you know what their opinions are incorrect?
All I know is what you've told me -- that Barnes warned their Barnesless voir dire would be their ruin. I didn't follow the voir dire, but it obviously was good enough.
Nope. What he said, more or less, was that he worried that it would compromise the case but he hoped it would turn out OK. The claim that he was hedging his bets to look prescient was your own spin. Nothing you have said in any way negates the many criticisms made by practising lawyers.

ThreeFlangedJavis

While we are on the subject of Creepy Joe, James Lindsay just released a video explaining the motivations behind corrupting child sexuality. Highly recommend it. Children confident in their identity are less malleable, so the objective is to confuse them. Much of what Lindsay says is sort of intuitive and previously recognised in a fuzzy way but when it is presented more formally like this it becomes more real, more sinister and much more obvious.

ThreeFlangedJavis

Question now is who is going to represent Rittenhouse in the civil suits? Unlikely that both of the "victims" families will pass up on a possible payday. You never know with Huber and Rosenbaum though, maybe their families are secretly grateful to Rittenhouse. Grosskreutz would have a tough time suing though.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote: Question now is who is going to represent Rittenhouse in the civil suits? Unlikely that both of the "victims" families will pass up on a possible payday. You never know with Huber and Rosenbaum though, maybe their families are secretly grateful to Rittenhouse. Grosskreutz would have a tough time suing though.
With Kyle's actions ruled self-defense, all those scumbags are now legally the initial aggressors. He could countersue them, JKM included.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote: Nope. What he said, more or less, was that he worried that it would compromise the case but he hoped it would turn out OK. The claim that he was hedging his bets to look prescient was your own spin. Nothing you have said in any way negates the many criticisms made by practising lawyers.
I don't have the spoons to search through the old comments, but my recollection was, you indicated Barnes was upset he and his experts were kicked off the team. IDK what Barnes predicted, but for two weeks you were very discouraged and concerned about not just a hung jury, but conviction due to the poor jury selection.

Nor am I trying to 'negate' criticism. I followed Branca, and he was very critical at times. There were occasions when I thought they were missing something or other. But a court trial is a whirlwind of sensory overload. You also have to pick your battles; for example, objecting to every objectionable thing will only make you look weak before the jury, and annoy the judge so he won't give you something you really need later.

Then there's strategy. Branca got his panties all in a wad cuz defense was allowing state to let Huber's aunt ramble on about how Huber was a hero by nature, rushing in once to prevent the family house from blowing up in a gas leak fire. Totally inadmissible. But defense was willing to take that momentary hagiography hit so they could admit Huber's rap sheet, which included him threatening to gut his brother like a pig and burn that family house down with everyone inside.

I was never looking for a fight on this, and now I'm bored, so will leave it at that.

ThreeFlangedJavis

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
ThreeFlangedJavis wrote: Question now is who is going to represent Rittenhouse in the civil suits? Unlikely that both of the "victims" families will pass up on a possible payday. You never know with Huber and Rosenbaum though, maybe their families are secretly grateful to Rittenhouse. Grosskreutz would have a tough time suing though.
With Kyle's actions ruled self-defense, all those scumbags are now legally the initial aggressors. He could countersue them, JKM included.
A civil case is more subjective and it's potentially harder to make a case for self-defence. The plaintiff only needs to persuade that a reasonable person would have acted differently on the preponderance of evidence. There's doubtless a lot of crowd-sourced money to be had to fund a suit.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Formerly nice, quiet Bay Area bedroom community hit by 'flash looters':

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2021/ ... rom-store/

There've been a couple of gang shootings there recently, too.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote: A civil case is more subjective and it's potentially harder to make a case for self-defence. The plaintiff only needs to persuade that a reasonable person would have acted differently on the preponderance of evidence. There's doubtless a lot of crowd-sourced money to be had to fund a suit.
IDK about WI, but in some jurisdictions, an acquittal in a criminal trial pretty much extends immunity to civil suits.

Bigger deterrent is, Kyle has no money or wealth to take. Always go after the deepest pockets, which here is the County. That's who Lefty Grosskreutz is suing.

ThreeFlangedJavis

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:15 am
ThreeFlangedJavis wrote: A civil case is more subjective and it's potentially harder to make a case for self-defence. The plaintiff only needs to persuade that a reasonable person would have acted differently on the preponderance of evidence. There's doubtless a lot of crowd-sourced money to be had to fund a suit.
IDK about WI, but in some jurisdictions, an acquittal in a criminal trial pretty much extends immunity to civil suits.

Bigger deterrent is, Kyle has no money or wealth to take. Always go after the deepest pockets, which here is the County. That's who Lefty Grosskreutz is suing.
Grosskreutz's interest is personal, probably more greed than vengeance. There may be a desire for "justice" in the relatives of the other scumbags and there will doubtless be lawyers lining up take the case and clutch the Patreon dollars. There will be a lot of support for a civil case from the left. If they play their cards right the plaintiffs can pocket leftover donations after a failed suit.

John D

Post by John D »

Wow. This video. Makes me cry like a baby. So tragic.

John D

Post by John D »

Had to watch my girls from Georgia after that last video.

LYRICS IN ENGLISH:
- Shepherd's song - Music by MZIA DIAKVNISHVILI
Lyrics by TEMUR TSAGURIA
I'm walking along the white road,
Following my flock, At the beginning of video: Tako (to grandma): "Shall I hold it in my arms, grandma?" Grandma: "yes, yes..." Tako (to kid): "come on!.."
With a lamb in my arms Tatuli (to Tako): "Oh, it's big like you!..." Tako: (to Tatuli): "Look at it, Tat... It's so lovely!"
I sing a lullaby,
Rock-a-bye… Rock-a bye…

I drink from the spring of love for Georgia,
My treasure is nabadi * and reed-pipe, Nabadi * - Caucasian felt cloak, often used by shepherds
My reed-pipe ...

My reed-pipe,
My sad love...
I sing only for you,
Sunny woman!
Your face is always with me ...

My home is green mountains and meadows!
My song is lovely Georgia,
My Georgia!

My reed-pipe,
My sad love...
I sing only for you,
Sunny woman!
Your face is always with me ...

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

“Our” girls.

I’m happy to share, but not if you get greedy. :naughty:

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Pitchguest wrote: A lot of articles about white supremacy after the Kyle Rittenhouse ruling, the difference between black and white, etc, but they seemingly forget, or willingly ignore, the case of Timothy Simpkins, a black teen who shot up a school, tried to kill four people, arrested with a bond of 75 thousand dollars and then released less than 24 hours later. Kyle, on the other hand, had a bond of over 2 million.

Then, amazingly, there's the case of Andrew Coffee IV, a black man who was found not guilty of murder and ruled as self defense THE VERY SAME DAY as Kyle was released, only hours after Kyle's acquittal, but for some reason neglected by the mainstream media and not as publicised. Wonder why, eh?
Interesting, particularly the case of Coffee – “how do you like your coffee?”

https://cbs12.com/news/local/man-acquit ... girlfriend

Bit of a scum-bag by the look of it, but the deputies more or less going in with guns blazing – as seems too typical – probably didn’t help much.

One might reasonably justify Americans “packing a piece”, particularly these days, but it has its down sides. If everyone is wandering around armed to the teeth then a car backfiring could eventually precipitate something in the way of a massacre – ala Alice’s Restaurant or not.

Reminds me of simulations of nuclear fission with ping-pong balls and mouse traps:

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote:
fafnir wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:34 pm

<snip>

That isn't a claim that relies on the distributions being normally distributed, that is a claim that they are normally distributed.

<snip>

He isn't applying it at all, so the whole argument is pointless.
Thought the penny had dropped. You were so close. Steersman is the Pyt equivalent of glue and paper on the fingers.
Devil’s in the details, some of which are stickier than other ones.

Somewhat curiously or problematically, Fafnir, John D. and I generally agree on some aspects of the issue, but I think they’re both missing the point. Don’t think I’ve ever argued that IQ, heights, and agreeableness – the examples under discussion – are exactly normal distributions. My point and argument is generally only that they’re often reasonable and useful approximations – a point which John in particular more or less agrees with.

And several features of normal distributions are particularly useful since, if we assume the “real world” data is approximately normally distributed, they allow us to make useful comparisons between different populations particularly where there are significant differences in the means or standard deviations. In particular, if the means differ substantially, even if there are no differences in the standard deviations, then that means that there are likely to be significant differences in the population sizes over particular ranges.

For example, in this approximation below, there is 2.3% of the “female” population – nominally speaking – between the heights of 185 & 214 cm but 15.9% of the “male” population within it – about 7 times as great. Which may have some relevance to various social policies – the James Damore “incident” being a case in point.

Mathematica_PopHghtCompare_2A_Sctn.JPG
(29.95 KiB) Downloaded 177 times

Likewise with IQs, although that is more of a thorny issue, particularly since many tend to misinterpret the data or have an axe to grind. For instance, an old Breitbart article argued, at least in the headline, that “The Smartest People In The World Are All Men”:

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2015 ... e-all-men/

However, as even the article body itself illustrates, it’s less that “the smartest people are all men” and more that, using various questionable criteria, there are more smart guys than smart gals. Though the consequence of that assumption and model is that there are also more dumb guys than dumb gals – rather doubt Breitbart took many pains to emphasize that latter aspect ....

Fact of the matter is that life is something of a gamble from square one which is often most reasonably dealt with by playing the odds. Nine times out of ten that rustling in the bushes is just the wind and one can gamble accordingly. Even if one time out of 10 it turns out to be a tiger and we wind up toast – or lunch.

And statistics is an essential tool that far too many haven’t got a clue about. And show no willingness to learn about, the "scientific illiteracy" that Sagan argued characterizes some 97% of us. I remember reading a popular description of some research in particle physics about “bump hunting” which referred to various anomalies – way out beyond 4 or 5 standard deviations – in nominally normal population distributions that might indicate new particles or new phenomena. However, for things like IQs, heights, or “agreeableness”, such bumps – particularly within 1 to 3 standard deviations – are likely to be irrelevant. Often quite important to understand such features and their applications.

As Aristotle supposedly put it:
It is the mark of an instructed mind to rest satisfied with the degree of precision which the nature of the subject admits and not to seek exactness when only an approximation of the truth is possible.

fafnir

Post by fafnir »

Steersman wrote: For example, in this approximation below, there is 2.3% of the “female” population – nominally speaking – between the heights of 185 & 214 cm but 15.9% of the “male” population within it – about 7 times as great. Which may have some relevance to various social policies – the James Damore “incident” being a case in point.
I'm not aware of any hot social issue where the data and framing of the problem is sufficiently agreed upon that a mathematical model would help.
Steersman wrote: Likewise with IQs, although that is more of a thorny issue, particularly since many tend to misinterpret the data or have an axe to grind.
That pretty well describes every social issue where you might want to apply your normal distribution idea.
Steersman wrote: However, as even the article body itself illustrates, it’s less that “the smartest people are all men” and more that, using various questionable criteria, there are more smart guys than smart gals. Though the consequence of that assumption and model is that there are also more dumb guys than dumb gals – rather doubt Breitbart took many pains to emphasize that latter aspect ....
If they didn't, it's hardly a secret on the right. The greater male variability hypothesis is practically an NPC trope at this point.

Your normal distribution argument can only work on this side of the debate. People who are trying to remake the world so that there is representation and equity don't give a shit about what percentage of Google engineers a normal distribution suggests should be female, or black. It's like arguing with ISIS that throwing homosexuals off buildings is against their human rights.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

fafnir wrote:
Steersman wrote: For example, in this approximation below, there is 2.3% of the “female” population – nominally speaking – between the heights of 185 & 214 cm but 15.9% of the “male” population within it – about 7 times as great. Which may have some relevance to various social policies – the James Damore “incident” being a case in point.
I'm not aware of any hot social issue where the data and framing of the problem is sufficiently agreed upon that a mathematical model would help.
If that's the case then I don't think you've been paying attention. Or you're unwilling to consider that you're rather biased - your apparent reluctance to differentiate between sex - reproductive biology ("gametes, baby!") and gender - psychological traits & stereotypes - being a case in point.

You really might want to take a close look at this article, the graphs in particular where the degree of overlap is germane to the gender not correlating with sex in a great many cases:

https://4thwavenow.com/2019/08/19/no-ch ... -identity/

Although I'll concede there's some question over the actual degree of overlap.
fafnir wrote:
Steersman wrote: Likewise with IQs, although that is more of a thorny issue, particularly since many tend to misinterpret the data or have an axe to grind.
That pretty well describes every social issue where you might want to apply your normal distribution idea.
Not sure what your point is there. Except to maybe underline my own point that far too many are clueless about basic statistics.

Seems more like a call to rectify that ignorance than to throw out the tool.
fafnir wrote:
Steersman wrote: However, as even the article body itself illustrates, it’s less that “the smartest people are all men” and more that, using various questionable criteria, there are more smart guys than smart gals. Though the consequence of that assumption and model is that there are also more dumb guys than dumb gals – rather doubt Breitbart took many pains to emphasize that latter aspect ....
If they didn't, it's hardly a secret on the right. The greater male variability hypothesis is practically an NPC trope at this point.
Kinda think it depends on which circles you travel in; see Pinker:
The waging of a "war on science" by right-wing know-nothings has become part of the conventional wisdom of the intelligentsia. Even some Republican stalwarts have come to disparage the GOP as "the party of stupid."
https://allto.ca/wp-content/uploads/201 ... cience.pdf

But thanks for the "male variability hypothesis" phrase, one I had been looking for for some time. Though it seems to justify and be predicated on the concept of normal distributions. Which you seem bound and determined to throw stones at if not throw overboard. Cutting off your nose to spite your face?
fafnir wrote: Your normal distribution argument can only work on this side of the debate. People who are trying to remake the world so that there is representation and equity don't give a shit about what percentage of Google engineers a normal distribution suggests should be female, or black. It's like arguing with ISIS that throwing homosexuals off buildings is against their human rights.
So? That many on the left are just as clueless about basic science as many on the right is hardly cause to abandon scientific principles. Pinker again:

John D

Post by John D »

Brive1987 wrote: “Our” girls.

I’m happy to share, but not if you get greedy. :naughty:
Two of us and three of them.... we will work something out!

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Can you get COVID-19 from deer?

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) — Even wild deer aren’t sheltered from the spread of COVID, wildlife officials say, but can hunters or others who come in contact with an infected animal catch the virus from it?

A recent study from Penn State found that more than 80% percent of the white-tailed deer sampled in different parts of Iowa between December 2020 and January 2021 tested positive for SARS-CoV-2, or better known as COVID-19. The researchers urged caution for hunters as they suggest that white-tailed deer could be a reservoir for the coronavirus.

https://fox8.com/news/can-you-get-covid-19-from-deer/

fafnir

Post by fafnir »

Steersman wrote:
fafnir wrote:
Not sure what your point is there. Except to maybe underline my own point that far too many are clueless about basic statistics.

It's not an issue of ignorance. If you want representation to drive social change, stats showing that that representation is unlikely to come about organically are at best a call to arms. The disagreement isn't about stats. Lots of the Critical Legal studies/pro-CRT/anti-racism writers are absolutely clear on this. They know what the stats are. This is partly why they recommend permanent systems of explicit identity based discrimination to get the outcomes they want.

Take a simplified version of one of their positions. What actions get called "crimes" and how severely they are punished are an arbitrary manifestation of the prejudices and interests of the group in power. Who's to say that anally raping multiple children is a terrible crime, and defending yourself when that rapist attacks you is not. In other cultures, in other times what we now call child rape would have been legal.

Arguments that black men commit 50% of violent street crime while making up 6% of the population are moot. White society has chosen to criminalise the behaviour of black men. The solution is either to police those areas less until you get to the point where only 6% of arrests for street crime are for black men, or change the enforcement of the laws so you let the majority of them go, or change the laws so that they impact blacks and whites equally. It's simply not an argument about statistics.
Steersman wrote:
fafnir wrote:
Have we stepped into a time tunnel back to the early 2000s? Quoting Pinker? Is there no Dawkins quote from 1995 talking about the secular humanist utopia that would dawn when people trusted the Science?
Steersman wrote: But thanks for the "male variability hypothesis" phrase, one I had been looking for for some time. Though it seems to justify and be predicated on the concept of normal distributions. Which you seem bound and determined to throw stones at if not throw overboard. Cutting off your nose to spite your face?
It doesn't depend on the properties of the normal distribution. All it needs is for the male and female distributions to have approximately the same mean, but for the male one to be more widely distributed.
Steersman wrote:
fafnir wrote: Your normal distribution argument can only work on this side of the debate. People who are trying to remake the world so that there is representation and equity don't give a shit about what percentage of Google engineers a normal distribution suggests should be female, or black. It's like arguing with ISIS that throwing homosexuals off buildings is against their human rights.
So? That many on the left are just as clueless about basic science as many on the right is hardly cause to abandon scientific principles.
It's not a question of abandoning scientific principles. It's that you are explaining scientific principles to people who already know them in a battle against people who don't care. They are remaking the world. You are trying to argue with them on the basis of how the world is now. It just doesn't matter to them.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

The lack of self-awareness is STAGGERING:
One of the people who was involved wrote on Facebook: "Yesterday we posted a picture we took at JK Rowling's house."

The post, which has now been deleted, added: "While we stand by the photo, since posting it we have received an overwhelming amount of serious and threatening transphobic messages so have decided to take the photo down."

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Lsuoma wrote: The lack of self-awareness is STAGGERING:
One of the people who was involved wrote on Facebook: "Yesterday we posted a picture we took at JK Rowling's house."

The post, which has now been deleted, added: "While we stand by the photo, since posting it we have received an overwhelming amount of serious and threatening transphobic messages so have decided to take the photo down."
Indeed. Though that "lack of self-awareness" is maybe not surprising in the transgendered, many of whom seem to have a flawed perception of the boundary between self and other to begin with. Apropos of which see Woody Allen's classic Zelig ("chameleon man"):

https://www.nytimes.com/1983/07/15/movi ... 34845.html

But reminds me of watching some women's roller derby program on TV - probably some 50 years ago - where one woman - a "bleached-blonde bomber with a streak of mean" as Jim Croce put it - put an opposing player into the bleachers with a cheap shot - and an illegal one. When she was called for the "infraction" she got all huffy and seemed to be saying, "Who? Me?" Oscar Award level performance.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Joy Reid is a monster. She's worse than Goebbels. At least Goebbels loved his country.
https://media.patriots.win/post/lG8Vb10f.jpeg

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Unless you have no sense of humor, or a crusader, of course...

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

That would not have passed-muster as Onion content, back when The Onion was The Onion.

(I was present when the first issue was published, in 1988... and as the core crew of longtime staffers arrived & took ownership.)

I just checked wikipedia & saw over a decade of depressing business transactions (40% ownership by the Univision spanish-language TV corporation?), ...now just another listicle-slideshow arm of Gizmodo/Kotaku/ Lifehacker/ Deadspin.

Bummer.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Service Dog wrote:
That would not have passed-muster as Onion content, back when The Onion was The Onion.
Wow that was almost as funny as SNL's clown abortion skit.

Who says the woke don't have a sense of humor?

ThreeFlangedJavis

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:29 am
Service Dog wrote:
Wow that was almost as funny as SNL's clown abortion skit.

Who says the woke don't have a sense of humor?
Reminds me of when Scientology took over the Cult Awareness Network.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

This is hilarious. Also an abomination.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

You guys have had a humorectomy, haven't you?

ThreeFlangedJavis

Lsuoma wrote: You guys have had a humorectomy, haven't you?
One or two of those things are genuine stupid beliefs which became well known, some of them are not stupid at all and the rest I've never heard of, just stuff pulled from someone's rectum. Why is this funny? The captions aren't even creative.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote:
Reminds me of when Scientology took over the Cult Awareness Network.
Nine Other Things Besides Body Thetans That Suppressive Persons Don't Believe In

Hur hur hur. SPs so stupid.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

The Onion was a satire newspaper.

The headline you're defending does not even fit the Onion format of a joke-news-story pretending to be real:

"Most Idiotic Things Anti-Vaxxers Actually Think Will Cure Covid"

--

Rather than an irreverent twist on the unintentionally silly & vapid stories in normie-media,
this headline is a reverent non-twist-- exactly matching an unintentionally silly & vapid story you'd see in normie media.

--

The slideshow format sucks & the Onion slideshow is merely an example of that format, not a mockery of it.

--

Slide #8 says Christian superstitions don't cure covid... but Islamic superstitions do.

A few slides later-- we are served the same joke: Amethyst Crystals do not cure covid... (that's silly superstition!) but Moonstone crystals do.

Two slides later... what will they say next?... "Prayer". The author recycled jokes to fill the 24 slides.

--

The closest thing to a viable Onion story-- is Slide #22-- the premise is that a friend tried to text the cure for Covid, but their phone autocorrected the word to "Canada", and the recipient can't figure-out what they meant to say. I can envision someone pitching this at an Onion staff meeting... and the idea being riffed-on, & the person who pitched-it heading-home with a pile of notes to develop into a finished piece. But I'm sure the new pseudo-Onion no longer employs this 'writer's room' approach... instead, somebody working alone at home-- just churned this turd out for $100, emailed it to someone in an office, who uploaded it to the publication queue-- not giving a shit. They didn't even fix the typos.

--

In April 2018, Onion writers unionized. In July 2018, the Onion laid off 15% of staff & sold the corpse to Gizmodo. This fits the pattern of the comic book industry-- where rousing, progressive worker rhetoric-- was doused with a cold bucket of economic reality. And the dregs who stuck-around after then collapse... are bitter lethargic under-performers who go-thru-the-motions for a sad paycheck/ rather than departing for better prospects.
_That's_ a humorectomy.
As for the old staff... I'm glad to see, from wikipedia, that Todd Hanson hasn't died, after the suicide attempt he discussed on Marc Maron, about 6 years ago. And Carol Kolb went-on to write for 'Community' and 'Brooklyn Nine-nine'. Good for you... ya crazy cross-eyed bitch. They do a much better job, if they were still involved. But it would also be sad if they never moved-on.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Yep.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Service Dog wrote:
The Onion was a satire newspaper.

<snip>

_That's_ a humorectomy.
As for the old staff... I'm glad to see, from wikipedia, that Todd Hanson hasn't died ...
Emphasis on the "was".

But "glad to see" that you're making some use of Wikipedia ... ;)

Though it too seems to have fallen on hard times and been "corporatarized", lost sight of its guiding principles. Larry Sanger - one of Wikipedia's co-founders and probably its guiding light - has argued, with some justification, that "Wikipedia Is More One-Sided Than Ever":

https://larrysanger.org/2021/06/wikiped ... ent-464746

Some extensive elaboration on "The Biden Family Ukraine Scandal" as a case in point; bonus is my comment thereat and link to my article on Wikipedia's Lysenkoism ... ;)

But largely agree with your summary - expect that The Onion has seen better days, the Babylon Bee more often on point. Nature of the beast - pretty much all civilizations - and cultures, mainstream, counter, and corporate - have their heydays followed by declines, senescence, and death. RIP - life's a bitch and all that. Takes some effort to root out the rot, to rejuvenate them all.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

fafnir wrote:
Steersman wrote:
<snip>

It's not an issue of ignorance.
You keep saying that – without providing any evidence except your say so. You seriously think that Sagan’s argument about the 97% of us who are “scientifically illiterate” has no bearing on the issue and the policies at the “cutting edge”? That the GOP – the party of the stupid (as per Pinker) – and the Democrats trying to outdo them isn’t a major part of that problem?

You don’t seem to get – or want to address my point – that the issue is less those “trying to remake the world” than with the court of popular opinion, than with the “battle for the hearts and minds” of the “men in the street”. Ideologues may well be a lost cause; much less so those who they are trying to enlist in that objective.

Education is what’s necessary to turn the tide. You really might want to try reading my Medium essay on Wikipedia’s Lysenkoism.
fafnir wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:35 am
In other cultures, in other times what we now call child rape would have been legal.
So all cultures and all sets of values are created equal? No doubt many of the woke and their minions in the critical race theory departments might peddle that schlock. Doesn’t mean we have to buy it or give it the time of day.
fafnir wrote:
Arguments that black men commit 50% of violent street crime while making up 6% of the population are moot.
And your evidence for that is what? You really might want to try justifying your claims with some facts.

One might reasonably argue that the history of slavery in America is a contributing factor – Sagan’s Demon-Haunted World talked about Frederick Douglass and how it had been against the law to teach a slave how to read. Serious curtailment of historical opportunities has to have had a major impact on current ones such that a life of crime is often the only alternative on the table. See Cathy Young’s elaboration on that theme following the Ferguson riots some 7 years ago:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/artic ... 23739.html

But the blame for that situation can’t be laid entirely at the feet of the “white folks”, even unreconstructed confederates. Chris Rock – black comedian – argued that black culture and the black community has to shoulder some of that themselves. Rather damning accusations of some apparent justification:
There’s like a civil war going on with black people, and there’s two sides: there’s black people, and there’s niggas. .... You know what’s the worst thing about niggas, the worst thing about niggas? Niggas love to not know. Nothing makes a nigga happier than not knowing the answer to your question. .... Niggas love to keep it real; real dumb! Niggas hate knowledge. Shit, I was talking about niggas breaking in your house, well if you want to save your money put it in your books. Cause niggas don’t read. Put the money in the books, shit, books are like kryptonite to a nigga […]
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 9015000041

Not that that is entirely unique to blacks – Sagan talks about how that is far too common in America; not just blacks that books and learning are kryptonite to.
fafnir wrote:
Steersman wrote:
<snip>

Have we stepped into a time tunnel back to the early 2000s? Quoting Pinker? Is there no Dawkins quote from 1995 talking about the secular humanist utopia that would dawn when people trusted the Science?
You seriously think that Euclidean geometry is no longer valid or useful?

No doubt there’s some cause for charges of scientism in various circumstances – as Pinker suggested – and neither Dawkins nor Pinker walk on water. But you’re looking like you’re exhibiting some “anti-science and anti-intellectual sentiments” yourself – rather like far too many feminists.
fafnir wrote:
Steersman wrote: But thanks for the "male variability hypothesis" phrase, one I had been looking for for some time. Though it seems to justify and be predicated on the concept of normal distributions. ....
It doesn't depend on the properties of the normal distribution. All it needs is for the male and female distributions to have approximately the same mean, but for the male one to be more widely distributed.
I’ll concede that one doesn’t actually have to refer them to normal distributions to compare means and standard deviations – for example, even the Wikipedia article on the topic doesn’t, although it leads off with a graphic that looks pretty close to one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variability_hypothesis

But knowing that such distributions are typical – though not the only game in town – seems a useful point of reference. Models do have some value even if they’re not perfect. Which you seem reluctant to give much credence to.

For example, in that population heights graphic I had posted earlier, that the means are offset by one standard deviation – even though the two distributions have the same values for that (10 cm) – allows one to determine that there are 7 times as many “males” as there are “females” in two to three standard deviation range relative to the “male” mean.

Which can have a great deal of relevance to various social and scientific policies. A rather large number of feminists are justifiably bent out of shape that many such policies are ignorant of such fundamental disparities, particularly when it comes to the different responses to various drugs:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/ ... rez-review

Though I notice that the Wikipedia article suggests that, at the very least, there is some controversy over the concept and its applications, particularly to different traits. Probably more applicable to some than others.

But the point is that putting some numbers on those traits, and having a model as a calculation tool is of immeasurable value; science’s claim to fame and fortune. Lord Kelvin:
When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meager and unsatisfactory kind ...
https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/166961 ... -about-and
fafnir wrote:
Steersman wrote: <snip>
So? That many on the left are just as clueless about basic science as many on the right is hardly cause to abandon scientific principles.
It's not a question of abandoning scientific principles. It's that you are explaining scientific principles to people who already know them in a battle against people who don't care.
As I’ve said before – which you seem reluctant to consider – ideologues are less of an issue than discrediting them in the eyes of the public, particularly the ignorant or uncommitted. Such ideologues may well have something of a point when it comes to the issue of “equality of opportunity” – not just by sex but by race as well, and presumably by other measures. But IF there are, in fact, some biological differences in various traits – as seems rather clearly the case – THEN them trying to impose some “equality of outcomes” – is not likely to be productive, and may well be a cure worse than the disease. See the Wikipedia article on Lysenkoism for some rather damning evidence of that far too common phenomenon.

But that is why I’ve argued – with some justification – that such ideologues are, to no small degree, engaged in the “deliberate distortion of scientific facts or theories for purposes that are deemed politically, religiously or socially desirable”. May be some value in drawing the public’s attention to that state of affairs?

fafnir

Post by fafnir »

Steersman wrote:
fafnir wrote:
Steersman wrote:
<snip>

It's not an issue of ignorance.
You keep saying that – without providing any evidence except your say so. You seriously think that Sagan’s argument about the 97% of us who are “scientifically illiterate” has no bearing on the issue and the policies at the “cutting edge”?
You want me to comment on a made up statistic? Even in the universe that Sagan plucked out of his asshole to make that up, you aren't going to educate the scientifically illiterate by going on and on about normal distributions.
Steersman wrote: That the GOP – the party of the stupid (as per Pinker) – and the Democrats trying to outdo them isn’t a major part of that problem?
Again... Pinker. If it was 2002 his opinions might be relevant.
Steersman wrote: You don’t seem to get – or want to address my point – that the issue is less those “trying to remake the world” than with the court of popular opinion, than with the “battle for the hearts and minds” of the “men in the street”. Ideologues may well be a lost cause; much less so those who they are trying to enlist in that objective.
As Tony Blair advised a few years back. You have to meet people where they are. You find all this normal distribution stuff compelling. Does anybody else?
Steersman wrote: Education is what’s necessary to turn the tide. You really might want to try reading my Medium essay on Wikipedia’s Lysenkoism.
Why? I know what Wikipedia are.
Steersman wrote:
fafnir wrote:
In other cultures, in other times what we now call child rape would have been legal.
So all cultures and all sets of values are created equal? No doubt many of the woke and their minions in the critical race theory departments might peddle that schlock. Doesn’t mean we have to buy it or give it the time of day.
I don't, but if you are going to argue against anybody who isn't already in your camp you have to deal with minds that have been influenced by the enemy.
Steersman wrote:
fafnir wrote:
Arguments that black men commit 50% of violent street crime while making up 6% of the population are moot.
And your evidence for that is what? You really might want to try justifying your claims with some facts.
What do you want me to evidence? That black people commit vastly disproportionate amounts of street crime?
Steersman wrote: One might reasonably argue that the history of slavery in America is a contributing factor – Sagan’s Demon-Haunted World talked about Frederick Douglass and how it had been against the law to teach a slave how to read.
Sagan again. It's like we are having a conversation on a sceptic forum in the 90s.
Steersman wrote: Serious curtailment of historical opportunities has to have had a major impact on current ones such that a life of crime is often the only alternative on the table. See Cathy Young’s elaboration on that theme following the Ferguson riots some 7 years ago
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/artic ... 23739.html
That is irrelevant to the equality of outcome folks. Literally doesn't matter. All cultures are equal, black people shouldn't have to change. It's racist for police to have so many negative interactions with them simply because they are hugely more violent and aggressive.
Steersman wrote: But the blame for that situation can’t be laid entirely at the feet of the “white folks”, even unreconstructed confederates. Chris Rock – black comedian – argued that black culture and the black community has to shoulder some of that themselves. Rather damning accusations of some apparent justification:
There’s like a civil war going on with black people, and there’s two sides: there’s black people, and there’s niggas. .... You know what’s the worst thing about niggas, the worst thing about niggas? Niggas love to not know. Nothing makes a nigga happier than not knowing the answer to your question. .... Niggas love to keep it real; real dumb! Niggas hate knowledge. Shit, I was talking about niggas breaking in your house, well if you want to save your money put it in your books. Cause niggas don’t read. Put the money in the books, shit, books are like kryptonite to a nigga […]
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 9015000041
It's like you are debating this stuff in the 90s. The politics has moved on. Pinker and Sagan are beyond irrelevant. They exist in a different universe to this debate. The left and academia are at best going to pay lip service to them.
Steersman wrote: Not that that is entirely unique to blacks – Sagan talks about how that is far too common in America; not just blacks that books and learning are kryptonite to.
Out of the old atheist and sceptic community who used to care about Sagan you have the faction that agree with you and don't need persuading and the people who don't and have rejected everything Sagan stood for. They are like the anti-thesis to the enlightenment. Sagan just isn't relevant.
Steersman wrote:
fafnir wrote:
Steersman wrote:
<snip>

You seriously think that Euclidean geometry is no longer valid or useful?
Not in arguing about social justice. It's whiteness. There are other ways of knowing.
Steersman wrote: No doubt there’s some cause for charges of scientism in various circumstances – as Pinker suggested – and neither Dawkins nor Pinker walk on water. But you’re looking like you’re exhibiting some “anti-science and anti-intellectual sentiments” yourself – rather like far too many feminists.
Pinker, Dawkins, Sagan..... these guys were relevant 20 years ago.... maybe 10 years ago.... they just aren't relevant today. They fought yesterdays battles with yesterdays opponents. Maybe if the evangelicals suddenly become resurgent they will have their day again?
Steersman wrote:
fafnir wrote:
Steersman wrote: But thanks for the "male variability hypothesis" phrase, one I had been looking for for some time. Though it seems to justify and be predicated on the concept of normal distributions. ....
I’ll concede that one doesn’t actually have to refer them to normal distributions to compare means and standard deviations – for example, even the Wikipedia article on the topic doesn’t, although it leads off with a graphic that looks pretty close to one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variability_hypothesis

But knowing that such distributions are typical – though not the only game in town – seems a useful point of reference. Models do have some value even if they’re not perfect. Which you seem reluctant to give much credence to.
Not at all, models can be useful.... but I don't see the point of using needlessly specific ones when we are almost just talking about mean and spread properties that primary school children understand.
Steersman wrote: For example, in that population heights graphic I had posted earlier, that the means are offset by one standard deviation – even though the two distributions have the same values for that (10 cm) – allows one to determine that there are 7 times as many “males” as there are “females” in two to three standard deviation range relative to the “male” mean.
Are we better determining that from a normal distribution or actual data? Does the normal distribution tell you about growth abnormalities atypically tall racial groups skewing the data? It seems like you are talking about edge case women for whom that might be relevant. In any case, that is a level of detail that goes beyond any argument you've made.
Steersman wrote: Which can have a great deal of relevance to various social and scientific policies.
Can it? Maybe. I'd have thought relying on actual measured data would be better.
Steersman wrote: A rather large number of feminists are justifiably bent out of shape that many such policies are ignorant of such fundamental disparities, particularly when it comes to the different responses to various drugs:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/ ... rez-review
The Guardian, honestly? I'm trying to read through that and it's just a shotgun blast of vaguely statistical complaining. The aircon thing? If it's cold put on a cardigan.... men can't take their shirts off. Honestly, if sexism is that bad and that well evidenced, why do I keep seeing that aircon bullshit coming up? I don't see the word "normal" in there. I don't think the normal distribution is necessary for any of these discussions. Somehow the Guardian manage without mentioning it.
Steersman wrote: Though I notice that the Wikipedia article suggests that, at the very least, there is some controversy over the concept and its applications, particularly to different traits. Probably more applicable to some than others.
Of course. Not all processes produce normally distributed output. Most don't.
Steersman wrote: But the point is that putting some numbers on those traits, and having a model as a calculation tool is of immeasurable value; science’s claim to fame and fortune.
Sure, that doesn't mean that normal distributions are the correct model or even a relevant model in these discussions.
Steersman wrote: Lord Kelvin:
When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meager and unsatisfactory kind ...
https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/166961 ... -about-and
I assume if Lord Kelvin was having a policy conversation with a politician or member of the public he would have reduced the conversation down to the simplest model needed to get his point across rather than using models that might or might not apply and added no value to the explanation.
Steersman wrote:
fafnir wrote:
Steersman wrote: <snip>
It's not a question of abandoning scientific principles. It's that you are explaining scientific principles to people who already know them in a battle against people who don't care.
As I’ve said before – which you seem reluctant to consider – ideologues are less of an issue than discrediting them in the eyes of the public, particularly the ignorant or uncommitted.
You think framing the argument in terms of your ideology will convince people currently being mislead by a different ideology? Wouldn't it be better to start where your audience currently are? Mislead by the opposing ideologues.
Steersman wrote: Such ideologues may well have something of a point when it comes to the issue of “equality of opportunity” – not just by sex but by race as well, and presumably by other measures.
They do not have a point, they are a malign cancer.
Steersman wrote: But IF there are, in fact, some biological differences in various traits – as seems rather clearly the case – THEN them trying to impose some “equality of outcomes” – is not likely to be productive, and may well be a cure worse than the disease. See the Wikipedia article on Lysenkoism for some rather damning evidence of that far too common phenomenon.
Of course it isn't likely to be productive. Have you paid any attention to how the culture has changed in the past 10 years? It's like you think the people you are arguing with are evangelicals in the 90s who buy into the enlightenment and imperialism but nonetheless are holding on to their dogma.
Steersman wrote: But that is why I’ve argued – with some justification – that such ideologues are, to no small degree, engaged in the “deliberate distortion of scientific facts or theories for purposes that are deemed politically, religiously or socially desirable”. May be some value in drawing the public’s attention to that state of affairs?
Of course they are deliberately distorting scientific facts. The idea that all you have to do is give some Dawkins type argument from 1996 to persuade people is naive beyond belief. They've been working on this counter-enlightenment worldview for, what, 90 years. Harvard is pushing it. It's not like the ideologues generating this perspective are unaware of the arguments of Dawkins, Pinker and Sagan. They just have an entirely different epistemology that doesn't believe in objective truth.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Lsuoma wrote: Unless you have no sense of humor, or a crusader, of course...
Or maybe your intro poisoned the well of mirth?

"Laugh-at-this-AND-I'm-pre-emptively-expressing-my-disdain-for-you-and-attacking-your-character"

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

If any of you chaps are gay, you might want to skip this 'un!

I want to be a tackle-bag for this lot! Fuck yeah... :P

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

World's oldest woman, last surviving person born in the 19th Century, dead at age 124.

Report says, despite lack of symptoms, her body "will be tested for Covid" ... presumably to see if she was struck-down far too soon, by the insidious no-symptoms variant... perhaps transmitted to her by a premature baby.

https://www.the-sun.com/news/4125578/ol ... sano-dies/

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Hold onto your hats, cuz there might be acquittals coming in the Ahmed Aubery trial. Seems the citizen's arrest claim is quite strong, and the prosecutor has gone full Binger. Deliberations start again tomorrow morning.

John D

Post by John D »

Lsuoma wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:12 am
You guys have had a humorectomy, haven't you?
your onion post didn’t even make me smile. Nothing funny in it.. except the desperation.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Whatever - you're all so earnest. Only a sense of the absurd will help you make it through the crazy life you are living.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

31st wedding anniversary today. Still laughing.

Thru the tears.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

Hi there, long time & all that. Just thought I'd pop this wee gem from Oolon in. Bless, he never forgets.

Hope all are as well & happy as can be. I'm now living in Europe, having left the sunny shoes of little China, aka Hong Kong, spend my time chainsawing up our forest, growing stuff, and avoiding the hordes of geriatric ex-Brits who pitched up looking for greener grass & like to pass their little remaining time bitching about Brexit. Have sent the other half off to make a living in the Middle East, he returns periodically to eat bacon and sausages. Life is good.

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

HunnyBunny wrote: hordes of geriatric ex-Brits who pitched up looking for greener grass & like to pass their little remaining time bitching about Brexit.
They don't live here, their opinions are null and void.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

HunnyBunny wrote: Life is good.
Cheers!

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Bhurzo--

I watched the new Dune. Then re-watched Lynch's version. Then the Jodorowsky's Dune documentary.

The new one is too 'perfect', for my taste. It was made to soothe those who can't handle the clunky, embarrassing aspects of Lynch/1983.

And the same might be said of Lynch's version, in comparison to Jodorowsky's vision.

What's next, a safe, tasteful, tame, 'updated' version of Barbarella? No thanks.

Fortunately, the world was only deprived of Jodorowsky's version for 8 short years-- until the release of the utmost psychedelic mindfuck--

The Star Wars Holiday Special.

Orson Welles as a Michelin-starred Michelin-man Baron Harkonnen? Harvey Korman in drag as an alien Julia Child!

Moebius? Heavy-Metal-the-animated-movie Boba Fett.

Pink Floyd? Jefferson Starship in a 3-d virtual reality goggle intergalactic intergenerational interracial interactive Wookie sex scene.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Ben Shapiro show actual evidence that Waukesha (Milwaukee County) implemented low bail, dropped charges, & early prison release... to make their racial crime stats look nicer. Jump to 5min40sec...

The left has been claiming that CRT is not something taught to children in grade schools-- it's an esoteric, academic law-school thing.

Which was put into practice in Milwaukee & many other locales.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

HunnyBunny wrote: spend my time chainsawing up our forest
Since we're reminiscing, Stihl or Husqvarna?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Service Dog wrote: Ben Shapiro show actual evidence that Waukesha (Milwaukee County) implemented low bail, dropped charges, & early prison release... to make their racial crime stats look nicer.
Waukesha DA, John Chisholm, is one of Soros' many "progressive" DAs who are destroying cities across America.
"Is there going to be an individual I divert, or I put into treatment program, who's going to go out and kill somebody? You bet. Guaranteed. It's guaranteed to happen. It does not invalidate the overall approach."
https://archive.jsonline.com/watchdog/n ... 5852.html/

John D

Post by John D »

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:13 am
HunnyBunny wrote: spend my time chainsawing up our forest
Since we're reminiscing, Stihl or Husqvarna?
Stihl all the way. We have 4, 3 petrol (I use an MS 400 petrol) and my MSA 160 battery, which is great for processing the fallen Douglas Fir branches & coppice logs (we have 3 mixed oak/hazel coppice woods and a douglas fir plantation). Husband was not keen on the battery idea, but it has gradually become the go-to for everyday light work even for him.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Especially this bit:

Satire that does not affirm their viewpoint