The 3FJ, Matt, & Dog Conspiracy Show

Old subthreads
MarcusAu

Re: The 3FJ, Matt, & Dog Conspiracy Show

Post by MarcusAu »

KiwiInOz wrote:
Bhurzum wrote:
MarcusAu wrote: If the culture wars have devolved to the point where it's Wars vs Trek' - I think I'm going to have to re-think my commitment.
Dune, bitches!
Witcher, bitches.
Who

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

To be quite honest, I'm more of a "swords 'n' sandals" kinda guy (really setting myself up with that, huh?) although I'm a "high fantasy" nut as opposed to "shit ages" fiction. Got to be dragons, orcs, pointy-eared wussies (elves, obviously) and a vast, supporting cast of rogues, barbarians, buxom wenches and evil wizards.

I like sci-fi but I love swords & sorcery.

Balrog beats blaster, any day!

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Happy to report to GySgt Brive results from my range experiment to compare speed of the Uberti Winchester 1873 with the Martini-Henry and Lee-Metford video test. My GF had me go first.

My shooting pasture only extends to about 75 yards, but we were firing .357 pistol rounds, not .303 or .402 Saturn V's, so I think the comparison is valid. Our target -- through buckhorn sights -- was an 18" Shoot'n'C roundel, again a fair equivalent to the torso-shaped, cardboard Tommy in the video. Lamentably, I eschewed cosplay for T-shirt and jeans.

The Winnie was preloaded with 12 rounds in the magazine, chamber empty. Timing started the instant I ran the lever to chamber a round. Timing stopped when I raised rifle to port arms, executed a sharp wheel to the left, and saluted. Yeah, right.

Results: 12 rounds in 40 sec and change, all shots on target, including three bullseyes. So 3.33 seconds per round, slower than the Lee-Metford in the video, though I was considerably delayed on two occasions when I had to dump the casings that had ejected into the palm of my trigger hand. The 1873 ejects upwards, and I've had casings hit me in the nose, bounce off the brim of my cap, and generally dance in front of my eyes. OTOH, for the Lee-Metford, 8 rounds were fired from the mag, then 2 by hand.

My GF fired 8 rounds at just under 3 sec per, but her group was shit.

Didn't test the Henry Golden Boy. It's highly accurate as fast as you can run it -- which is very fast -- but the .22, especially the short, do begin to drop beyond 30 yards. I saw no point in timing the Mini-14 semi-auto, although a comparison between running one 10 rd mag vs. two 5s might be interesting. Inserting mags is a bit of a pain.

My neighbor just snagged a CA-compliant AR-15 and will be bringing it over soon. I predict he'll get off 20 rounds in 2 seconds, every one a hit somewhere among my pine trees, and whoop in glee.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

MarcusAu wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote:
Bhurzum wrote:
MarcusAu wrote: If the culture wars have devolved to the point where it's Wars vs Trek' - I think I'm going to have to re-think my commitment.
Dune, bitches!
Witcher, bitches.
Who
Who is the Doctor?

John D

Post by John D »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: My neighbor just snagged a CA-compliant AR-15 and will be bringing it over soon. I predict he'll get off 20 rounds in 2 seconds, every one a hit somewhere among my pine trees, and whoop in glee.
Barbarian!

mordacious1

Post by mordacious1 »

Apparently, due to the condition of his legs, Kathy Bates lives in the area and extracted Tiger Woods from his vehicle. I’m surmising.
Also, if you were following the news coverage and took a shot of tequila every time “there could have been a coyote in the road” was said, you’d be dead right now.

Keating

Post by Keating »

KiwiInOz wrote: Who is the Doctor?
Dead to me

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

John D

Post by John D »

I think this should be my next FIREarm purchase.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

John D wrote: I think this should be my next FIREarm purchase.
My money is still on the gopher.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Unite against white nationalists attacking elderly asians:

https://notthebee.com/article/in-respon ... g2AIwTFkTM

ThreeFlangedJavis

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:28 am
Unite against white nationalists attacking elderly asians:

https://notthebee.com/article/in-respon ... g2AIwTFkTM
This is the real motivation behind the racial division media complex IMHO. Nice chart of racism references in the media over time and it shows a big uptick immediately after the Occupy demos.

Would have placed such claims about Wall Street influence in the wingnut category not so long ago but the Trump era has been a rude awakening. I'm always giving my 2 cents about political and social trends but beyond the obvious political moves by the usual suspects I don't think your average Joe has a clue about who is really pulling the strings and why. Social and political movements with their own motivations but the real power brokers can decide whether they thrive or die.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Speaking of 'disinformation', I was just watching PBS News Hour report on Congress's hearing-- regarding the security fail on 1/6 at the Capitol.

At this point, I shouldn't be surprised at anything emitted by Yamiche Alcindor. And yet... I was still startled by her claim of 'disinfo' from Sen. Josh Hawley.

Apparently Hawley asked questions about leftwing infiltration & incitement on 1/6. That's factually true. BLM activist John Sullivan's involvement is well-documented, for example.

(By the way-- 7 days ago, the post reported that Sullivan sold video footage of 1/6 to CNN and NBC for $35,000
https://nypost.com/2021/02/17/accused-c ... o-nbc-cnn/ )

Yet PBS firmly accuses Hawley of spreading misinformation:

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Today, GF heard a commotion under our window. She looked out & saw 2 men fighting. They kept fighting, even as a copcar approached.

Soon, her 'Citizen' app reported the men had fled, one was caught-- one got away. According to snippets of police radio, the one who was caught was a suspect in the shooting, a few days ago. I wonder if the fight was due to the other guy trying to capture him?

The police radio chatter was a mess. Someone-- either the dispatcher or the cops on the street-- described the fighters as Possibly Armed. So, afterward, when the street cops said the guy they caught was suspected of being 'involved in the shooting', the Central dispatcher got confused & didn't know if shots were fired today/ or if the cop was referring to the prior shooting.

The cop kept replying to Central, using the word 'shooting', but not clarifying if shots were fired today. Central kept asking the cop for clarification--whether shots were fired to day. Which led to Traffic 7 thinking that Central was affirmatively stating that shots were fired today.

An hour or so later-- I went downstairs to help GF haul-up bags of groceries. And two shaggy white guys were hanging out in front of the nail salon...

in FULL BLACKFACE. Ears, hands... their coats & sneakers looked like they were all coated with brown -stuff-. Like chimney sweeps. They looked like derelicts, but if you were fully dusted in weird brown grime, you'd probably look homeless/ now matter how respectable you looked beforehand.

They looked like Dan Ackroyd in Trading Places.

I couldn't tell if they were crazy, pranksters, assholes, profoundly-misguided undercover cops.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

College professor suspended for disagreeing with slave reparations:

https://www.thecollegefix.com/universit ... -training/

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

John D

Post by John D »

Brive1987 wrote:
Haha. She put that fuel hose in her vehicle. It will smell like gas for a year. Oh my god. People are so great!

John D

Post by John D »

My wife got her first shot of the Moderna vaccine yesterday. I don't know why they gave her a shot except that she has all her medical records in an automated system at the local hospital. She has heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, fibromyalgia, and is obese. Maybe they looked at her records and said... "Fucking hell... this bitch needs a shot". I don't know.

But all went well. She didn't have a reaction, but she did sleep all day today.... which is kind of normal. Anyway.... that is good news. When she texted me that she had the shot I cried. Next dose in late March.

Thanks Trump.

ThreeFlangedJavis

John D wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:01 pm
Brive1987 wrote:
Haha. She put that fuel hose in her vehicle. It will smell like gas for a year. Oh my god. People are so great!
Somewhere there's a gas station attendant with her voice ringing in his ears standing next to a hoseless gas pump.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

14 cops standing around downstairs. And a 'specialized unit' bus in police colors, flashing lights on top. Awaiting a protest march coming over the bridge from Brooklyn. Police radio on the Brooklyn side says there's "fifteen to twenty protesters" and they're "scheduled" & "orderly".

Citizen app commenter: "We live in a police state!"
Reply: "No, we live in a defunded-police state."

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Ten Percent Joe

ThreeFlangedJavis

Service Dog wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:41 pm
Ten Percent Joe

What is he going to do? Is he going to bring back production to the US? Surely that's all Trumpian dreaming, holding out false hope to the white supremacist insurrectionist peasants? Is he now admitting that China are not friends of the US? Has there ever been an administration so intent on erasing the previous one and trash talking it to a ridiculous degree while taking credit for it's achievements?

I don't see much reference to Cho Bi-Ding's Munich "ni**er" slip. TBF I think he fumbled an attempt to say "eager" rather than uttering a touretty N-word. He also went on to slur the word "chancelor" so I think it indicates where the US media are that this isn't being treated as a worrying sign. Maybe Kamala thinks it too soon to declare Biden hunting season.

ThreeFlangedJavis

Love this guy. Can rely on him confirming the obvious truth without having to sit through an hour long discussion.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

If you're drawing a lot of Flak, it must mean you're over the target.
Joy Behar told her co-hosts Wednesday on ABC’s “The View” that ... “Tucker Carlson needs to be tied up and put in the corner somewhere, so we never hear from him again.” As the segment was ending, Behar said, “I don’t mean to imply that anything harmful should happen to Tucker Carlson. I just want him to stop saying stupid things, that’s all.”

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

New poll reveals top concerns of Democrats and Republicans:

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Did you see the 'top concerns' of Democrats? #1 concern is "Trump Supporters".

(see also #2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 & 12... all pretty much = 'Trump supporters' in TDS-talk)

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Service Dog wrote: Did you see the 'top concerns' of Democrats? #1 concern is "Trump Supporters".

(see also #2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 & 12... all pretty much = 'Trump supporters' in TDS-talk)

That was the chart I was hoping to link to. Fucking twitter.

Following the seriously pathological, full-blown obsession with trumpites, the next ten items either are trivial or simply don't exist in that alternate, non-Dem universe known as "Reality." The concern about capitalism is an interesting once, considering most Democrats are feasting quite well of off it.

Of course, these are the pseudo issues the MSM propagandists have blathered incessantly about. Showing that these supposed intellectuals are incapable of forming an original thought. With a little repetition, you could easily slip "Polly want a cracker" in around number six.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Many many other people-- not me-- will see this clip & wish to do violence to Biden's tranny freak nominee.

Those other people-- not me-- will care about the well-being of children as young as age 3-- so much-- that they'd forfeit their own lives in a hail of gunfire, attempting to save those kids from a wicked monster. Not me.

However. The way this piece of shit twice 'answered' Rand Paul's question. With a shameless word-for-word recitation of pre-fab bureaucratic condescension? That's where I draw the line.

I'd personally step on the gas if I saw that thing jaywalking. Waterboard it with gasoline. Feed it to the hogs.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

I believe it was Epitectus that said "Do not say: Alas"

Though that may be considered transphobic in the modern context.

HelpingHand

Post by HelpingHand »

Would have thought Lady Gaga's publicists would have been in crisis mode and managing messaging from hour 1.

Yesterday, every quote in every news article: $500,000 no questions asked for return of the dogs

Today, every quote in every news article: Our foremost concern is the health of Ryan (the dogwalker) and we are giving him our full support

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Not only was Hunter Biden fucking his brother's widow while the corpse was still warm, he was sexting her married sister, too.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... 4a62qw6ZjQ

Lovely family.

ThreeFlangedJavis

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Not only was Hunter Biden fucking his brother's widow while the corpse was still warm, he was sexting her married sister, too.

Lovely family.
Hunter is the apple of Joe's eye and it brings a tear to said eye that he's gone into the family sleaze business. The family is so obviously corrupt. It takes a special set of tinted glasses not to see that when you look at the decades long history of money paid to family members by influence peddlers at opportune times. It beggars belief that he can claim not to know what Hunter is up to with such a long history of graft. He would have to be stupid or blind.

ThreeFlangedJavis

Silly me. Influence purchasers, not influence peddlers.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Ah, the quality of the character of people getting into politics in recent times.

Oh, for the days of people of such high moral character as Bill Clinton, JFK or Boss Tweed.

Though perhaps my bias is showing and there are also relevant examples for those who took the Republican gravy train.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Not only was Hunter Biden fucking his brother's widow while the corpse was still warm, he was sexting her married sister, too.

Lovely family.
Hunter is the apple of Joe's eye and it brings a tear to said eye that he's gone into the family sleaze business. The family is so obviously corrupt. It takes a special set of tinted glasses not to see that when you look at the decades long history of money paid to family members by influence peddlers at opportune times. It beggars belief that he can claim not to know what Hunter is up to with such a long history of graft. He would have to be stupid or blind.
Beau was Joe's favorite, and was tapped to continue the Biden crime family's legacy. Hunter was always coddled, cuz he got more fucked up in the car crash, and Joe always felt a little remorse for being away that night getting a blow job from Jill.

Back when Biden was merely an obstacle to Lizzie Warren, the media published exposés like this:

Biden Inc.: Over his decades in office, ‘Middle-Class Joe’s’ family fortunes have closely tracked his political career.

John D

Post by John D »

I found this simple video to be pretty entertaining.... magdalena, hannah matilda and david perform 1920 blues from their yard in Germany... including chickens in the background. Is this what the internet should be????.... probably.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Speaking at a Jewish event in Delaware in 2015, a few months after Beau Biden's death, Joe Biden told a Joe Biden story, about trying to seduce a girl: "“I was the Catholic kid. She was the Jewish girl. I still tried. I didn’t get anywhere." That girl grew up & had daughters. And grand-daughters.

Joseph Robinette Biden The Third (known as "Beau Biden")-- forever trying to live-up to Joe Biden's bragging about Joe Biden-- married one of those daughters. And, after Beau died, Hunter Biden moved-in with one daughter, rented a house with the other, and did sexytime with both.

And, according to Beau's widow, Hunter was also sexually inappropriate with the under-age granddaughters. Texts show that Jim Biden & Joe Biden told Hunter they would "shove it down her fucking throat" in response to the concerned mother's 2018 claim.

Texts also show Hunter discussing 'folding clothes' in a Whole Foods Bathroom with the 14-year old grand-daughter. 'Folding clothes' is slang from a 2017 J. Cole rap song about sneaking-away to have sex.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Service Dog wrote: Texts also show Hunter discussing 'folding clothes' in a Whole Foods Bathroom with the 14-year old grand-daughter.
The child's mother had forbid Hunter from seeing the girl, accusing him of face-time-ing the child nude and smoking crack in front of the child.

Hunter and the child evaded the mother's wishes and exchanged emotional texts about how much they missed each other. Hunter asked the child her location. The child said she was at the mall near her home. Hunter suggested folding clothes with the child in bathroom at Whole Foods.

Hunter Biden still walks free. He still owns his stake in a billion-dollar sweetheart deal with China's Communist Party. The media suppressed the story of statutory rape, as well as Doctor Jill Biden's second husband's role in the cover-up.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

And Joe took showers with his teenaged stepdaughter. Who's now completely fucked in the head, cheated openly on her husband, and is continually pulled over -- but let off -- for drunk driving.

The Biden clan saga ranks up with the imperial accounts of Suetonius.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

If a girl turns you down, wait 50 years and make-out with her teenage grand-daugher.

https://i.imgur.com/tJs9Ap0_d.jpg?maxwi ... ity=medium

ThreeFlangedJavis

Service Dog wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:13 am
Speaking at a Jewish event in Delaware in 2015, a few months after Beau Biden's death, Joe Biden told a Joe Biden story, about trying to seduce a girl: "“I was the Catholic kid. She was the Jewish girl. I still tried. I didn’t get anywhere." That girl grew up & had daughters. And grand-daughters.

Joseph Robinette Biden The Third (known as "Beau Biden")-- forever trying to live-up to Joe Biden's bragging about Joe Biden-- married one of those daughters. And, after Beau died, Hunter Biden moved-in with one daughter, rented a house with the other, and did sexytime with both.

And, according to Beau's widow, Hunter was also sexually inappropriate with the under-age granddaughters. Texts show that Jim Biden & Joe Biden told Hunter they would "shove it down her fucking throat" in response to the concerned mother's 2018 claim.

Texts also show Hunter discussing 'folding clothes' in a Whole Foods Bathroom with the 14-year old grand-daughter. 'Folding clothes' is slang from a 2017 J. Cole rap song about sneaking-away to have sex.
A reaction that accords with the defensive and very aggressive responses he is prone to giving when put on the spot. Never did buy the kindly uncle PR, it's a bad fit. His general demeanour leads me to give some credence to stories like this one https://www.theunionjournal.com/investi ... vestigate/ while keeping in mind how easy it is to get taken in by smears. Joe's public stance on his son is really inadequate. After the laptop went public with all of it's revelations of debauchery all he could say was that he was proud of Hunter? He saw no problem with the Burisma gig? He either snaps back angrily or just brushes off questions on the subject, never giving any real explanation. Questioning him is probably going to become punishable by complete cancellation so he has no worries, at least until Harris wants him disappeared.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Haven’t listened yet. But Dunning has declared Dyatlov a non-mystery so I guess that’s sorted. 👍
https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podcast/s ... 0510804981

Btw for easy listening (but competently assembled) British colonial and Napoleonic military soft-history “Redcoat History” is a good crib. British guy. Living in South Africa. Ex military. Incl some interviews with the British Muzzleloader Group.

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/t ... 1464633664

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

YouTube offered me clips, posted by The Young Turks, with saucy titles, suggesting these would be slam dunk moments for Jen Psaki and the Biden Admin.

I'm not seeing it. I see evasion, condescension, failure to own responsibility. Blame-Trump-or-Covid for everything.

What does this mean? Has TYT sunk to the level of pure clickbait? Not caring whether their content matches the title, as long as you click?

Or maybe far-left TYT knows these aren't really 'psmackdowns' and they're being passive-aggressive against Republican-lite Biden?

My concern is-- that TYT & their audience really-do think these are highlights. If so, I think they just like her hair or her know-it-all tone. The superficial package looks ok to them & they don't notice the lack of substance. If Biden's empty hand bluffing succeeds, that suggests a major voting bloc of blue-pill addicts. So eager to be told what they want to hear, that they'll accept that instead of demanding real results. Politicians will gladly exploit this-- all talk/ no solutions, while the nation crashes.

Same could be said on the Trump side: I know many MAGA fanboys loved Kaleigh McEnany because she looked like a porn star. And Trump's speeches were piles of purple adjectives, often with a void where substance should have been. Plenty of MAGA hat wearers enjoyed cheering-on-cue, without scrutinizing the message. Taking outlandish swings, indifferent to whether the punch even landed-- was Trump's brand.

But-- I see a difference. Trump actually represented a declassé populist base, which he-himself assembled. Whereas Biden seems like a carpetbagger-- eager to half-ass shapeshift into whatever populist faction he can pander-to. Obama's coattails, Tough-on-crime and/or ACAB abolish the police and/or gun grabbing, Wokeness, Boomer centrism, Green New Deal, teachers unions, tranny hitlers.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Holy Tip-of-the-Iceberg. I can't name a better site for anti-Biden news... than TYT curating official Biden Admin statements.

Check out Kamala's weird shit about "Covid's toll on WOMEN". ...which is actually a description of how Lockdowns and School Closings screwed women.

And Biden's solution? Those "$1400" checks and tax credits for families-with-children. Neither of which is specific to women.

(Unless only women can bear children. Oh, the transphobia! The bigotry!)

Why did they produce this video at all? Better to stay silent than call attention to to their failed lockdown policies, pandering to the teacher's unions, and their broken $2000 promise.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

It's a quasi-religion. So long as the dogma is affirmed, it's double plus good, damn the internal logical contradictions. In the same way christians gush over Alvin Plantiga's circular reasoning and assorted sophistry, pretending he's the demigod of epistemology.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: It's a quasi-religion.
Hard to sort the genuinely-stupid true believers in the religion/ from the opportunists who know better & are playing-dumb for strategic reasons.

==

Joe Biden is genuinely dumb, tho.

A couple days ago he went to Texas in response to 'the emergency' and spoke for 20 minutes about Covid/ not about the recent freeze or it's causes or effects. He just talked about 'the emergency' he wanted to talk-about, not the one he didn't.

I was struck by a moment in the speech-- where Biden declared he was going-to defeat Covid/ as if saying-so makes it true. Then he proudly declared his greatest achievement was going to be to defeat Cancer. It's not an 'achievement' until you do it. But he's already taking a bow. Then he interrupted himself with a stray thought: maybe his amazing defeat of Cancer isn't even his greatest achievement: he's even greater than he thought! After all, he just landed a rover on Mars!

video:

Of course, that Mars rover was on its way to Mars before Biden took office. And so was fighting-covid and fighting-cancer. But this retarded story is like all the other times Biden improvised a grandiose brag-- Mandela thanking him for getting arrested in South Africa. Biden's 'top of the class' success in college. Biden's imaginary participation in civil rights sit-ins and marches. Dunning-Kruger.

Some of Biden's supporters genuinely believe his b.s. And some pretend to believe, to support The Cause.

John D

Post by John D »

Joe B is not "dumb". Neither was G H W Bush. Neither was Trump. I wouldn't call any of them dumb.

They all have a talent for telling the story that people want to hear. I do this kind of thing on my job all the time. I work as a program manager, quality manager, and other roles. I don't lie.... well not exactly... and I don't know all the facts I am talking about... but I frame things in a way where my listeners agree with what actions are needed. Joe and Donald and George are better at this skill than I am. They also have a lot of cronies who push others to follow along... following the party line.

Trumpsters... and Biden fans... etc. are all fairly stupid. They want to be led and they don't want to understand the "facts". They want the story. It makes them feel good. They are watching a TV show.

John D

Post by John D »

Jen... Jen... Jen.... and your little red bottom...

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Stumbled across this well-written article on how the Star Trek franchise devolved from its original true liberal roots into moral relativism, then might-makes-right nihilism:

https://claremontreviewofbooks.com/the- ... star-trek/

Keating

Post by Keating »

Interesting essay. One thing that comes to mind as objectionable, is what I call the Jurassic Park problem. Ian Malcolm's claim "Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should." I think this is a real problem with the way the world works, and a particularly strong argument against the moral framework that is presented in the original Star Trek as outlined in that essay.

The best example I like is that we know the USSR tried to cross Ebola and smallpox. While this undoubtedly requires a significant amount of intellectual prowess, it also clearly lacks wisdom. I've come to fear that all technology suffers from this problem. No one would have predicted, for example, that automobiles were such a fantastic means of producing carbon dioxide. This is not to say that discarding all technology and living in Michael Piller's utopia is appealing - I hated the fawning over the insipid Ba’ku too - but, it isn't obvious to me that we can actually achieve good outcomes through reason alone. This seems to be particularly true when new technologies are based on flaws on our evolutionary heritage. Take Brive's insufferable diet posts: He has a real point that food technology has had unintended consequences. Our taste for sugar is almost certainly an evolutionary hack for the nutrients we actually had difficulty finding in antiquity, and is pretty disastrous in the modern world. Social media is another example, hacking into our social requirements in a similar way that seems to have similarly disastrous effects.

I'm not saying that I want to ban Facebook and Coca-Cola, I'm just saying that Huxley's Soma fueled slavery is just as big a problem as a Orwell's tyrannical Big Brother. What's really required are Men with Chests and a consistent means of producing them.

We do have serious technological questions coming up in our future that will have far more profound effects than the development of nuclear weapons. Generalised Artificial Intelligence and human genetic engineering. I have no doubt the Chinese will be producing genetically engineered super humans within my life time. I really don't know how we respond to this in a sensible way. It seems to me a net good if we are able to eliminate genetic diseases prior to birth, but the Gattaca world is definitely not one I'd want to live on or bequeath my descendants.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Great points. When done well, science fiction asks all those questions. Every robot revolt/tyrannical computer story ever was about rushing for convenience and luxury while ignoring unintended consequences. I recall a short story called "The Iron Chancellor" about a home security/housekeeper robot that kept its rich, suburban family forever imprisoned after it went haywire and conflated them leaving the house with an intruder crossing in. It also fed them nothing but dry toast.

No wonder that wokists would produce science fiction where tech advances only have upsides, and where tweaking on parameter does not perturb the entire system.

And now I read that Facebook thinks adding facial recognition to glasses is a grand idea. What could go wrong?

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Fiction is great at presenting a narrative.

Not sure how woke the Chinese are though.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Chest-feeding ad ran during the Golden Globes. Representative of how Hollywood imagines the US population, two of the four dugs are black:

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

John D wrote: Joe B is not "dumb". Neither was G H W Bush. Neither was Trump. I wouldn't call any of them dumb.

They all have a talent for telling the story that people want to hear. I do this kind of thing on my job all the time. I work as a program manager, quality manager, and other roles. I don't lie.... well not exactly... and I don't know all the facts I am talking about... but I frame things in a way where my listeners agree with what actions are needed. Joe and Donald and George are better at this skill than I am. They also have a lot of cronies who push others to follow along... following the party line.

Trumpsters... and Biden fans... etc. are all fairly stupid. They want to be led and they don't want to understand the "facts". They want the story. It makes them feel good. They are watching a TV show.
I can agree with everything you said-- but it would only be true for that-specific definition of 'not dumb'.

Doesn't change the all ways Biden IS dumb.

Just like your talent for gladhandling decision-makers at work. That only gets you so far. It's no substitute for actual quality control... when the cars burst into flames, or roll-over, or the brakes don't work.

Sophists still can't fancytalk us out of genuine crises, just like in Plato's time.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

2 or 3 times in the last few days... I'll be puttering-around, my mind on some mundane task (Where did I leave that packet of guitar strings? It was in my hand a moment ago)...

and a non-sequitur political thought will pop into my head, fully formed, not part of a prior train of thought.

One was this: "The debate over whether there are only 2 genders assumes the 2 genders are male and female. A funny twist would be to enter a debate, arguing 'there are only 2 genders', but then divide gender into 2 parts-- some other way, which the opponent can't dispute. Such as 'There are only Things Which Have Gender and Things Which Don't.' Or 'There are only 2 genders: Cis and Trans'.

Maybe that's clever. maybe not. But it's an odd thing to suddenly receive, like a telegram from Gawd. It didn't come in words, like an inner monologue. It was like a light switches on & you see a whole room. Describing what you see in words is an after-the-fact process.

Another one: "Only libertarian women should be allowed to have abortions."

Or maybe I should write it as: "Therefore, only libertarian women should be allowed to have abortions."

With nothing prior to the 'therefore'. A punchline with no set-up. I had to consciously backtrack & assemble the train of thought which would lead to that odd conclusion. It goes like this:

I've always thought that bearing a child was a huge imposition on a woman, if she doesn't want to be pregnant. It's not a minor thing to tell-her she -must- bear the child, then raise it or part-with-it... by taking-away abortion as an option.

BUT... most chicks who think it's a travesty to force a woman to endure an unwanted pregnancy... are very comfortable demanding that others endure unwanted impositions. They demand someone else pay for their birth control devices, their abortions, their health insurance, their daycare, their kids' education, their housing. If they find it acceptable to demand impositions on others/ then they forfeit their right to not be imposed-upon themselves. Why didn't that ever occur to me, before? Therefore, only libertarian-minded women should be allowed to have abortions.

==
I guess there's a 'normal' way I'm used-to my conscious & unconscious mind interacting. Sometimes they interact differently & the change is an odd surprise. A couple years ago, for a few weeks or months, I started misreading words. I might see the badge on a VOLVO as EVOLVE or ILOVE... and do a double-take.

John D

Post by John D »

Lots of fun points is prior messages.

Regarding technology.... and the comment that we always develop the technologies that we can and never ask if we should. Well... yeah. There is nothing to be done about this problem... because we are not smart enough to know what will really happen. Take the A-bomb as an example. Many people think it never should have been invented. They claim it will inevitably destroy the world and life on earth.. and mankind... etc. Well... no one can prove this. We are not dead yet... and while people are pretty fucked up, perhaps we are not fucked up enough to destroy the earth. I don't know... and neither does anyone else. I can also say this.... the nuclear standoff has created more peace than almost anything in history. There has been no period of general peace like we have seen since the end of WWII. Now... this is not absolute proof of anything, but it is suggestive that the A-bomb was perhaps not a bad thing. Complicated stuff.

I am also not so convinced things are going down hill as suggested. Sure... people are stupid and media/technology are messing with us. But, people have been messed up all along. It is not like there was some golden age of truth and justice. Hell.... remember the Satanic Panic? or how about the period of people claiming they had repressed memories. People were imprisoned because their daughter went to a shrink and came out thinking she had been abused by daddy. We don't have this problem right now. We have other problems. Stuff like "words are violence", or "children can decide their gender", or "gender is a social construct... but I am really a boy." There is a bunch of random fucked up shit. But we are not doomed and the current tech trends are hard to predict.

One of my favorite books is Frankenstein. It expresses that general fear that something will go wrong because man keeps trying to be more and more like a god. Well... really... nothing has gone wrong in a general sense. Sure, we have problems to fix... but... we fix them. And I feel like we really suck at predicting what will go wrong with any particular technology. In general, we figure out what is wrong and we fix it.... eventually.

On the abortion and "I have bodily autonomy" topic. The most fun I have with this discussion is how every woman who has an abortion is thought of as a victim. Either she is a victim of poverty, or a victim of a man, or a victim of being young, or a victim of having bad parents.... etc.... etc. If a woman wants an abortion the accepted emotional response to to say "Oh... that is so sad for her." If you want your friends to get really mad... when they say..."Oh, it is so sad she had to get an abortion.".. try saying... "Well, I hope she has figured out that she should stop sleeping around!" Haha. Great way to liven up a room.

I will end on a story about my wife and I. So, we were chatting, and I said "Wow... do you remember... back in the 90s... there were claims from some women that they had repressed memories, and some dads were sent to prison by their daughters.... after they were hypnotized... haha... do you remember that?" and my wife says... "Well... it wasn't just women." Haha. Out of that whole sentence she picked out that fact that I said it was women. And I said "Well... It was women." and she says "Well I am sure it was men too." and I said "I don't remember any men doing it... but maybe." So.. this is how it goes.

HelpingHand

Post by HelpingHand »

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/02/us/dr-se ... index.html

Was one thing when it was just a school district decoupling a (Dr. Seuss inspired) reading day from Dr. Seuss. Now the very organization with rights to Suess's work is permanently removing six books from publication. Permanent in the sense that I assume the crazy will die down some decade.

The list includes a personal favorite: And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street
But Dr. Seuss had a long history of publishing racist and anti-Semitic work, spanning back to the 1920s when he was a student at Dartmouth College. There, Dr. Seuss once drew Black boxers as gorillas and perpetuated Jewish stereotypes by portraying Jewish characters as financially stingy, according to a study published in the journal "Research on Diversity in Youth Literature."
"In ("The Cat's Quizzer"), the Japanese character is referred to as 'a Japanese,' has a bright yellow face, and is standing on what appears to be Mt. Fuji," the authors wrote.
The study also argues that since the majority of human characters in Dr. Seuss' books are White, his works -- inadvertently or not -- center Whiteness and thus perpetuate White supremacy.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

The Dr. Seuss article used the word 'Orientalism', which caught my eye because Edward Said was a celebrity professor at Columbia U when I was there. He coined the term 'Orientalism' in a book by that name. It's not-just a word for "racism against oriental people". But, rather, it describes a euro-centric (British Empire) wrong-idea that there was something common from 'The Near East' to 'The Far East'... and everywhere in-between. Edward Said said it was silly to make sweeping generalizations about people from Morocco to Afghanistan to India, Tibet, Japan.

Fair enough: except the one way it IS somewhat-fair to make such generalizations is from a specific point-of-view. Such as, say, Britain. "People in those other places Aren't Like Us" is a reasonable statement. It's more of a comment on that 'Us' have certain unique traits, than a comment on all the 'Thems'.

The biggest lasting influence of Said's thesis-- seems to be that it's considered incorrect to call people 'Oriental' now. 'Asian' is substituted in a mindless 1-for-1 swap, and almost everyone who would correct you for saying 'oriental' can't explain Why it's supposedly wrong. At best, they say 'oriental describes things-- like a rug-- Asian describes people.' So it's "offensive" to use a word which reduces people to things. But that strikes me as making-up a rule just so you can be offended when it's broken.

The Seuss article says "That study, published in 2019, examined 50 books by Dr. Seuss and found 43 out of the 45 characters of color have "characteristics aligning with the definition of Orientalism," or the stereotypical, offensive portrayal of Asia." ...a sentence which itself conflates Asia with Asians. And reduces the definition of orientalism-- to racism-against-orientals.

Ironically, the woke shitheads are guilty of actual orientalism: by using the one-size-fits-all term 'Asian' to describe everyone from Muslim rape gangs in the UK, to Hindus in Bombay to Chinese commuist rapists, and their Uyghur rape victims, Hmongnards, and Japs in Japan, and Yellow Americans With Slanty Eyes.

It's politically correct to claim all 'People of Color' share some unified experience & agenda & perspective. And whites are excluded from that, and different. And it's politically incorrect to make the same claim.