The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Old subthreads
windy

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Post by windy »

Tigzy wrote: Peez is attempting to make a case here that Oddie's lament at the lack of publicity for Savile's Catholicism is being made in the face of what resulted from the Savile enquiry. Fuckin disgraceful!
The trick was a bit too transparent this time, several commenters have noticed the omission. There's even some trouble in paradise on his thread on the Zinnia Jones AMA.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

The Atheist Advocates of San Francisco meeting at which Greta Christina is speaking is starting right now. I wonder whether any 'pitters might be in attendance...

codelette

Post by codelette »

Maximus wrote:
codelette wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote: "Feminism: The radical notion that women are people"

It's a quote that pops up in various Feminism101 pieces you'll find scattered around the net and is originally attributed to the British journalist Rebecca West.

This is the idea that PZ Myers and the FTB crowd claim WE are opposing.

That women are people.

You know what ?
I don't oppose the idea that women are people.
What's more, I will take a guess and say that NOBODY that posts here thinks that women are not people.
I'm a woman. I'm pretty sure I am people. I am also NOT a feminist, nor a MRA.
What's misogynistic about that?
Oh silly codelette, you've just "internalized misogynistic thought"! At least that was what I was told by the baboons when I pointed out that women in the video game industry disagreed with Anita Sarkizian(spelling ?). Patriarchy theory has an easy answer for everything! Wish we had a cool conspiracy theory :(

:lol:
Yeah, like once this "sister" was explaining to me how difficult was for women to get into STEM fields. I told her that it really wasn't for me (I knew since I was in elementary school that I wanted to be an engineer. I didn't know any engineer. I'm from the ghetto.). So, she turned around and told me that I was privileged...
They shift those goal posts so fast that I got dizzy.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

I mentioned previously that my boyfriend and I acted like 'sluts' in the video games we played.

And, this is one of the things that I hate about the A+/FTB crowd. I cannot describe a woman like Paris Hilton or Kim K, as 'sluts' or 'whores'. Heck, to even criticize these women for doing what they do = misogyny. 'Cuz we all know that Kim Kardashian only felt the need to tape herself having sex cuz *the patriarchy*.

And not to mention, 'whore' cannot even be used to describe a man...it's ridiculous.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Skep tickle wrote:The Atheist Advocates of San Francisco meeting at which Greta Christina is speaking is starting right now. I wonder whether any 'pitters might be in attendance...
I think Sacha was planning on going … she may have said something about going incognito, possibly as the “monopod man”. Or possibly as the character in the bowler hat and cane in the movie The Thomas Crown Affair … ;-)

DownThunder

Post by DownThunder »

Pitchguest wrote:You know, it's funny to me that modern feminists, the so-called "third wave" of feminism, may have actually ruined it for themselves when they appropriated the theories of the radical second wave and decided to not just co-opt, but also trump them up; escalate them. There is no denying that feminism - the ideology - would be far less intimidating if it weren't for their conspiring about "rape culture", "the patriarchy", "male privilege" and so forth, or the notion that somehow women are being oppressed and demonised. Pretty much commiting an own goal in terms of ideological purity. For instance, "rape culture" was an idea manufactured mainly in the US in the mid 70's-early 80's, by radical feminists of the second wave (like Gloria Steinem, Andrea Dworkin, et al, although merely spokespersons for the concept and not its originators) and then quickly went off the grid - only to be seen again in the late 20th-early 21st century, marketed once again by radical feminists of the new generation.

It's therefore no surprise to me that the concept of "rape culture" is still being rejected to this day, despite the fact that Melissa McEwan of Shakesville wrote her own Rape Culture 101 to inform people about it, and the same thing applies to "the patriarchy" and the rest of the nonsense-filled diatribes and rhetoric they continually spew. If more feminists were like Miranda Celeste Hale or Ana Kasparian, then it wouldn't even be an issue. Sex-positive, strong women who take no shit from anyone - man or woman - whose psyche are not made out of porcelain to be handled with care at all times. Likewise if more religious people were more tolerant and not eager to intrude into other people's lives, then they would merely be a blip on the radar.
In terms of the latter examples you give, I think that if you define your ideology in terms of just being competent, willing to learn and grow and going about your life like everyone, that doesnt constitute a core around which a community will form.

Perhaps an unfortunate trait of human psychology, negativity is a much stronger binding force. Ie, feeling under attack, under siege, feeling oppressed etc

On a side note I am becoming increasingly hesitant about accepting the positivity in "sex-positive" feminism (not the fake pz rhetoric). Many seem to utilise the stronger emotive feminist rhetoric to their own ends. The obvious occurred to me - its quite possible to be positive about your own sexuality and others in your clique while applying different rules to others.

Even if you treat it as a movement to rectify inherent sex-negativity in feminism, I regard them no better off, sometimes worse, than many people in the world who are quite able to learn about their own sexuality without the need for ideology and sets of guidelines.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Keating wrote:
ERV wrote:And once again, Im pretty sure hes dating Watson. I might be wrong, but my brain is reminding me of this.
No, he's absolutely not. I don't think he ever has either. He did recently get married though. His essays on Atheism, when he previously went by the nym "Ebon", are a pretty good examination of the rational reasons to be an atheist.

I used to enjoy his blog before he moved to Big Think, as he did allow wide debate in comments. Some relevant posts (by random clicking) include this one on free speech and this one on thirsting for persecution. Although now that I go back and look, I realise that the posts that I enjoyed most were actually mostly be guest bloggers. Go figure. (For example, this one.)
I'm stunned too. I used to enjoy reading Ebonmuse - he put a lot of thought into what he wrote. Now, maybe not so much. Pity.

somedumbguy

Post by somedumbguy »

DownThunder wrote:On a side note I am becoming increasingly hesitant about accepting the positivity in "sex-positive" feminism (not the fake pz rhetoric). Many seem to utilise the stronger emotive feminist rhetoric to their own ends. The obvious occurred to me - its quite possible to be positive about your own sexuality and others in your clique while applying different rules to others.
Is Amanda Marcotte (and many feminists) sex-positive? She would claim she is.

But she is famous for how she politicizes oral sex.

Oral Sex:

Male to Female: A right
Male to Male: Damn straight, fight the power
Female to Female: You go girl

Female to Male: Depends on the circumstances

http://ace.mu.nu/archives/222307.php

Adult women drooling over Twilight boys. Just fine.
Adult men drooling over Harry Potter's heroine's? Creepy wrong.

Cougars: yay cougars!
Adult men looking for "trophy" girlfriends. Creepy wrong.

Etc.

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

skepCHUD wrote:Dick Strawkins wrote;... Also, if Jones is doing this to discourage the defense from calling her and there is evidence of this could she be in trouble?
She's not that bright. Smart enough to figure out how to feed her addiction to attention but that's about it.

Steersman

Re: FfTB Hypocrisy

Post by Steersman »

My recent comment on the Pharyngula post on a “Fine Catholic Tradition” which, of course, didn’t show up because I’m banned:
While this is somewhat of a rhetorical question though of some relevance, I wonder what the consensus is on the question of providing trigger warnings. But since it seems to be part of party dogma to use them – at least in the AtheismPlus bedlam, to be considerate – to a fault – of those traumatized and disturbed by various topics and images, can I expect to see PZ and Watson, among others, championing their use in the context of scantily clad individuals? Maybe “town criers” preceding them by advising all and sundry – “hear ye, oh hear ye” – that any who are likely to be triggered by such wantonness - as seems to be the case with the good priest described above - should avert their eyes? It would, of course, pertain primarily to females as, of course, everyone knows that it is primarily males who have no control over their desires. Although some – at least those who argued, rather vociferously if not dogmatically, that Shermer’s “[atheism] is more of a guy thing” – might consider that a rather sexist perspective ….

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

EdwardGemmer wrote:A thought I had this morning. I was kicked off of the Pharyngula website ostensibly because I was curious about why men commit crime. I had to jump through and acknowledge all of the "privilege" stuff that I do agree with, but my question was why do men, even though privileged, commit more crime. I was pretty clear that I represent a lot of men, especially young black men, and I am searching for some answers on that question. Then came the parade of insults and the banning. It occurs to me that these limousine liberals like PZ Myers have very little concern with actual victims of racism and sexism. If you are going to attack someone because they dare defend black people, I can only come to the conclusion that PZ Myers is in fact, a racist.
I just happen to be reading that question of yours on the baboon board just now and it seemed to me that they squandered the chance (once more) to have a productive discussion on the subject (or any subject actually given their track record).

Because it seems to me that a certain % of the human population will commit crimes no matter what their relative position in society is. Never mind the consequences if caught.

I quickly skimmed the following links you provided... bookmarked to re-read but I thought I would throw this into the mix. The first link mentions:
Y-chromosome gene called SRY
And I would have thought they would also have at least also mentioned the MAOA (2-repeat allele) which apparently doubles a person’s rate of violence.

Genes and aggression: http://www.livescience.com/18983-gene-m ... ponse.html
Hormones and aggression: http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the ... d-hormones

You also said:
We need a framework to understand why people end up in the places they are. Saying men are privileged would be a surprise to black men, who are incarcerated at an eye-popping rate.
Indeed.

But then the impression the baboons give me is they are not interested in anything other than advancing their peculiar agenda.

Arriving at causative factors that can then be addressed, must be discouraged at all costs because actual solutions would negate the need for their ideologically sound prescriptions.

BrianAllenAptJ

Post by BrianAllenAptJ »

One of my old friends was attacked in a hate crime recently and is looking for help on medical bills If you can donate, if not please atleast share it. Read the story here

Karmakin

Post by Karmakin »

somedumbguy wrote:
DownThunder wrote:On a side note I am becoming increasingly hesitant about accepting the positivity in "sex-positive" feminism (not the fake pz rhetoric). Many seem to utilise the stronger emotive feminist rhetoric to their own ends. The obvious occurred to me - its quite possible to be positive about your own sexuality and others in your clique while applying different rules to others.

Oral Sex:

Etc.
As a long-time reader (well now ex-reader..I stopped reading with the move of Pandagon to Raw Story..hate that site) of Pandagon, I'd argue the Marcotte you're reading now is of an entirely different mindset of the Marcotte of 5-10 years ago. (I go WAY back in the blogosphere). The old AM was supportive of the notion that the problem was oppressive gender roles that were often unconscious, placed upon people by both genders. Yes, the term "patriarchy" was used, but the whole point was that it was simply the existence of these gender roles that are placed upon both men and women BY men and women.

Needless to say that's been abandoned over the last couple of years increasingly so, as that's been rejected in favor of an ideology where it's always men oppressing women.

Maybe I'm being overly charitable, and maybe it's just me that changed, but I do think that there's been a very real ideological shift among online feminist activists over the last year or two.

And yes, I agree 100% with the statement that a lot of it is that it's easier to create tight-knit communities based around hate than it is to create them based around non-hate.

somedumbguy

Post by somedumbguy »

Karmakin wrote:
somedumbguy wrote:

Oral Sex:

Etc.
As a long-time reader (well now ex-reader..I stopped reading with the move of Pandagon to Raw Story..hate that site) of Pandagon, I'd argue the Marcotte you're reading now is of an entirely different mindset of the Marcotte of 5-10 years ago. (I go WAY back in the blogosphere). The old AM was supportive of the notion that the problem was oppressive gender roles that were often unconscious, placed upon people by both genders. Yes, the term "patriarchy" was used, but the whole point was that it was simply the existence of these gender roles that are placed upon both men and women BY men and women.

Needless to say that's been abandoned over the last couple of years increasingly so, as that's been rejected in favor of an ideology where it's always men oppressing women.

Maybe I'm being overly charitable, and maybe it's just me that changed, but I do think that there's been a very real ideological shift among online feminist activists over the last year or two.

And yes, I agree 100% with the statement that a lot of it is that it's easier to create tight-knit communities based around hate than it is to create them based around non-hate.
While some of her opinions have changed with her move to Manhattan and other trends and arguments in the Feminist blogosphere, overall, I'd say she has been relatively constant. If anything, because Feminists now must identify as sex positive, she is more careful to do so.

But her world view as defined by her behavior and the content of her writing has always been women blessed, men hitler, regardless of what she herself claims to be about.

Karmakin

Post by Karmakin »

somedumbguy wrote:
Karmakin wrote:As a long-time reader (well now ex-reader..I stopped reading with the move of Pandagon to Raw Story..hate that site) of Pandagon, I'd argue the Marcotte you're reading now is of an entirely different mindset of the Marcotte of 5-10 years ago. (I go WAY back in the blogosphere). The old AM was supportive of the notion that the problem was oppressive gender roles that were often unconscious, placed upon people by both genders. Yes, the term "patriarchy" was used, but the whole point was that it was simply the existence of these gender roles that are placed upon both men and women BY men and women.

While some of her opinions have changed with her move to Manhattan and other trends and arguments in the Feminist blogosphere, overall, I'd say she has been relatively constant. If anything, because Feminists now must identify as sex positive, she is more careful to do so.

But her world view as defined by her behavior and the content of her writing has always been women blessed, men hitler, regardless of what she herself claims to be about.
That's true. It's also probably that she was at the time trying to maintain/increase her position in the progressive political blogosphere which for the longest time (ever?) wanted to present itself as being more than simple ideologies. (Agree with that or disagree with that as you wish, but that's what people wanted to be, I think).

Karmakin

Post by Karmakin »

Actually, just to add on to that, there was a big conflict in the feminist/progressive political blogosphere a few years ago about Trigger Warnings that in the end, I think was a sort of proxy war between what's been mentioned above as "gender feminists" and "equality feminists". AM was definitely on the equality feminism side at the time. (With the Shakesville people being the head of the gender feminists).

Actually, the same thing came up in the FTB community soon after they opened, with a conflict between the SJW's of the Slactiverse community and FTB, and generally speaking most of FTB rejected their ideology pretty much entirely at the time.

No, I'll stand by my statement that I really do think that this is a fairly recent ideological shift among 3rd wave feminist opinion leaders.

welch

Post by welch »

Reading more of zinnia's comments on why she did this...attention whoring is now what I think. She wants to be known as someone who gave the world an "inside" view on a famous case.

The fact she could have easily done this after the case was over either didn't occur to her, or "why should I wait for my moment in the spotlight" is her major motivation. I sincerely hope her testimony was only of minor importance.

Also, the whole "she did well against reddit, she should do fine in the courtroom" thing is hi-LAR-ious.

Mr Danksworth

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Karmakin wrote: Actually, the same thing came up in the FTB community soon after they opened, with a conflict between the SJW's of the Slactiverse community and FTB, and generally speaking most of FTB rejected their ideology pretty much entirely at the time.

No, I'll stand by my statement that I really do think that this is a fairly recent ideological shift among 3rd wave feminist opinion leaders.
What do you think caused the supposed shift?

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Karla Porter releases new episode of "As the Atheist World Turns"

http://personal.karlaporter.com/post/40 ... de-the-taf

http://i.imgur.com/Vpi73.png

Reap

Post by Reap »

codelette wrote:
Gumby wrote:Reap, we always knew you were a bad influence!

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd24 ... ddebdc.jpg
I think this was caused by Reap's callously calling Stephie a "bitch". Reap, you should apologize to Stephie. I have an idea for the apology letter:
http://i.imgur.com/JnBLs.png

You're welcome, Reap.
Thanks but I already promoted Stephanie to 'dick' Usually it takes 6 months for that to happen and what do I get as a reward? Thank you? Here's some flowers Reap? I bought you a nice card that says "Thanks for promoting me to 'dick'"? Nope I get blown off. Stephanie doesn't even have time to talk to me...she has had plenty of time to blog about me though hasn't she?? hmmph!

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Skep tickle wrote:PZ in "Did you have to remind me?" post on his blog today says (in part; bolding added by me):
PZ wrote:Yep, classes start for me tomorrow at 8am. ... I also get to teach my fave class, developmental biology. ... I’ll also be compelling my students to set up blogs and write about science publicly, so I’ll occasionally be linking to a lot of student work.
This seems unwise. Imagine the comment threads on his college students' blogs once the likes of Caine, Josh Spokesgay, etc follow PZ's links, at some point get triggered, & start unloading both barrels.

Also, potential financial conflict of interest, given that he gets paid for traffic at FtB. Presumably his students' work will be hosted at another site, but seems iffy if there were trackbacks or any other route by which his directing traffic from Pharyngula to the students' site might result in increased traffic back to Pharyngula.
1. PZ should not be able to force his students to write blogs. What the fuck does that have to do with developmental biology? He's just doing this to boost his own ego and give his horde some fresh toys. Maybe since he can't abuse his students directly, he has his commenters do it for him.
2. Admittedly, in the past where he has done this, the commentariat didn't attack as viciously as they normally do. However, they were still pretty fucking harsh with some of the bloggers, and I can remember at least one blogger was really badly affected by the experience. Several of them said they didn't enjoy it or get anything out of it.
3. PZ should be hauled before his superiors and told to explain why he's forcing his students to blog. And if he can't give a valid reason they should not permit him to do so.

It's a great idea, actually. For a literature or composition class. But not for a class of developmental biology students run by a grade-A vicious cowardly blogger who just wants to tun them through the commentariat wringer.

[youtube]PDl6iuku_mw[/youtube]

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Maximus wrote: Oh silly codelette, you've just "internalized misogynistic thought"! At least that was what I was told by the baboons when I pointed out that women in the video game industry disagreed with Anita Sarkizian(spelling ?). Patriarchy theory has an easy answer for everything! Wish we had a cool conspiracy theory :(
Well, we at least have the Slyme Pit Super-Secret Misogyny Uber Rapist Back Channel where we plot all kinds of mayhem against women.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9 ... 46qudDhIIA

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Sweet, best Ramics ever.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Dick Strawkins wrote: Exactly.
It was a terrible idea to take them on directly by running a petition. To do that you are validating their stance, yet their official stance is a facade behind which they hide their real agenda - maintaining their monopoly of highly paid speaker positions in the US conference circuit.

Look, the basic problem we pitters face is that the word "feminism", though it has a very broad meaning, is widely interpreted by the general public as what we generally call equity or equality feminism (meaning equal rights for men and women, equal opportunity etc.)
To complain about "feminism" negatively affecting atheism and skepticism and you are off to a bad start. You are forced to go into a long winded explanation of the type of radical feminism you mean, all the while the FTB crowd are saying "but we are not rad fems, we are just ordinary feminists!"
It is really a winning strategy for them. I mean, look at them. Look at the incompetence, the obvious hypocrisy and the blatant bigotry, greed and viciousness.
Why are they still around?
Why is a dork like Watson getting invited all around the world to talk science?
It's because of their strategy to link a very fluid version of feminism to their cause.

Look at how Peezus defines their brand of feminism:

"Feminism: The radical notion that women are people"

It's a quote that pops up in various Feminism101 pieces you'll find scattered around the net and is originally attributed to the British journalist Rebecca West.

This is the idea that PZ Myers and the FTB crowd claim WE are opposing.

That women are people.

You know what ?
I don't oppose the idea that women are people.
What's more, I will take a guess and say that NOBODY that posts here thinks that women are not people.

In fact, going by PZ's description, the Slymepit is a feminist site!

I realize that PZ and his crew don't really think that feminism is simply believing "women are people".
It's clear to all that PZ really believes something more along the lines of:

Feminism is the radical notion that women are people, plus X.
X, itself, is composed of A plus B, plus C, plus D, which vary in definition and importance depending on the question at hand (rape culture, patriarchy, mansplaining, privilege, sex positivity, misogyny etc)

While I agree with Welsh that we should never take them on at their own game, but merely poke fun at their ridiculousness from the sidelines, I think it might be worthwhile to consider the similarities of the FTB side to a religious coalition.
They remind me of the religious right in the US, with Catholics allied with fundamentalist baptists. They have a cause that joins them but there are deep differences that will eventually tear them apart.
Despite the use of radfem language (mansplaining, privilege, rape culture etc) I don't think it is accurate to describe the FTB crowd as radfems.
They are mostly on the sex positive side of feminism, as opposed to the pornography negative side (nobody calls themself sex negative). I would place only Ophelia and Taslima on the pornography/sex worker negative side.
The rest of them use the language and arguments of the porn negative feminists (radfems) whenever it seem necessary, for the simple reason that the radfem philosophy of patriarchy theory is like the flood geology of feminism. It is unfalsifiable - and therefore it seems the perfect tool to use in an argument since, like flood geology, it has easy canned answers to every problem posed, except instead of "God did it!"" you get: "you just don't get it due to privilege!", "you are mansplaining!", "rape culture!", "it's misogyny!")

What would happen if the Slymepit announced it was a feminist* site?

*PZ Myers plagiarized definition. (Feminism is the radical notion that women are people"

I suspect that they would be forced into redefining what they really mean by feminism - and that is bound to lead to problems because most of them don't seem to know what the various schools of feminist thought believe.

As a quick aside, have a look at the radfem101 page - notice all the catchphrazes that have become commonplace in online atheism since Elevatorgate.
http://radicalhub.com/radfem-101/
I wish I could articulate this stuff as well as you! Well put.

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

Well, they're advertising my petition on FtB:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamo ... -petition/

People are complaining that I didn't cite sources. Well, I can say myself for one (I've been called a misogynist a number of times, including by PZ Myers). I can use this one: http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-530969

Reap is caught up in that one too. So we can say Reap too.

There you go. Some sources.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Gumby wrote:
Maximus wrote: Oh silly codelette, you've just "internalized misogynistic thought"! At least that was what I was told by the baboons when I pointed out that women in the video game industry disagreed with Anita Sarkizian(spelling ?). Patriarchy theory has an easy answer for everything! Wish we had a cool conspiracy theory :(
Well, we at least have the Slyme Pit Super-Secret Misogyny Uber Rapist Back Channel where we plot all kinds of mayhem against women.
Shhhhhh, next thing you'll be telling them where the transparent edit buttons are! :shhh:

skepCHUD

Post by skepCHUD »

What would be the chances of establishing a thread on the slymepit of pitters vs. the pharyngulites, the cage match??!!
Challenge Caine, Sally S, Anthony K, Illuminata to a debate hosted here.2

Reap

Post by Reap »

Al Stefanelli wrote:
codelette wrote:From Adam Lee's imbecile latest blog entry:
Let's examine the site that's probably the largest and most prominent den of sexist and misogynist atheists, a forum that proudly calls itself the Slymepit. [/quote
http://skepticfreethought.com/wp-conten ... tfface.jpg

Yea I noticed that a long time ago.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Scented Nectar wrote:
Gumby wrote:
Shhhhhh, next thing you'll be telling them where the transparent edit buttons are! :shhh:
Relax. The edit button isn't visible to anyone without the Mark of the Beast tattooed to their forehead. That is, if there were an edit button, which of course there isn't...

:whistle:

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

What's with the underage Maggie, Lsuoma?

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

Tigzy wrote:Yet another, um, 'appropriate' ad from FTB, no doubt designed to appeal to their feminist deomographic:
http://i.imgur.com/rI9ej.png
I'm pretty sure that might be Google Ads monitoring your cookies.

You can tell us about your manga addiction, if you like.

acathode

Post by acathode »

It's been really nagging at me for some time now, so even though I'm sure it's been said before, probably a lot better too, I'll still post this:

I'm getting REALLY tired of the "they hate/harass/bully us just because we are women!"-narrative. It's such a cheap rhetorical trick, and it is just completely ingrained in the way the FTBers want to describe, well, everything and everyone who doesn't agree with them. Adam Lee's petition is one prime example of this, Roth's post another one,

I can't be the only one who see the similarities between this and the completely inane "They hate us because our freedom!" BS that Bush tried to sell after 9/11?

In both cases it's a complete failure to acknowledge ones own actions and behavior, instead deflecting the attention to some completely irrelevant thing that allows them to score points and set the narrative. In Bush's case, he scored patriot points while selling a narrative that completely omitted the US' not-so-nice history in the ME. In FTB's case, they score victim points, and set the necessary stage for the big "MISOGYNY!" accusation.

At the core, it unlink actions from consequences, and removes the responsibilities of having to deal with the negative fall-out of doing really stupid or mean shit. If all the criticism is the result of you just being a woman, all you have to do is cry about how people are being mean to you, like a middle-schooler, and you get away scot-free.

Another interesting thing though is that both cases also rely heavily on the audience being almost completely ignorant of the actual events and facts, or already being completely sold on the narrative. Just a small amount of prior knowledge of relevant facts is enough to completely shatter the narrative as it's being told. It's really propaganda 101, get your story out there first, and no matter how dishonest it is, a load of people will gobble it up and not change their opinions, it even if the true story comes out later.

Which serves to explain part of why they are so keen on silencing people, not only on their own blogs, but otherwise as well. Anyone that doesn't get the story from FTB first, but instead learn about it from say tf00t, is a person that is much much less likely to buy the "they hate us because we are women" narrative.

ps. Anyone else noticed that it's also mainly the women they describe as being bullied or harassed, or in general get to play the victims? PZ, Laden, etc have, to my knowledge, almost never been refereed to as being bullied or harassed, nor is the narrative about how they are bravely soldiering on despite the constant harassment. Even though PZ get just as much, or even more, harsh criticism as the others of them.
It's almost as if they still are clinging to those old sexist notions that women are weak and fragile beings that need to be defended from the world by the strong and durable men...

pps. I'm sure the creationists are using this rhetorical trick to, it's just too classic to not be in the little dirty tactics handbook that they all reading from. I just can't remember how it went with them. "They hate us because they hate God"?, "They hate us because we have Jesus"? or something along those lines, isn't it?

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Gumby wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
Gumby wrote:
Relax. The edit button isn't visible to anyone without the Mark of the Beast tattooed to their forehead. That is, if there were an edit button, which of course there isn't...

That reminds me, did the ninja throwing stars with [fill in paranoid freethought blogger victim attention whore]'s name on it come in yet?

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Here you go:
Attachments
editbutton.jpg
(4.4 KiB) Downloaded 152 times

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

LMU wrote:
Gumby wrote:
Tigzy wrote:I see Rocko's petition has caught the beady eye of the Sick Wench of Doom, who, in crowing about it not having had much publicity, makes me wonder why she should otherwise complain of bullying when clearly those bullies are quite incapable of generating as much noise for their pet hates as she and her ilk are.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamo ... -petition/
There's fighting battles, then there's choosing your battles wisely. The counter-petition was doomed to failure from the start. It was a horrible idea. Most of us here already know how ridiculous these counter-petitions are, and I knew not many would sign it. All it did was give the Baboons a little larf ammo because they have a much bigger publicity machine and a bigger reader base than us - a reader base that lurves to sign petitions because they think that equates to "activism". Rocko meant well, but it was a stupid thing to do.
I don't think online petitions or polls do much either way, but I don't think we should knock people too much for trying. Similarly for JV's attempt to involve the A+ers in debate. I think it's important to do these things so that more people know we are out here holding a viewpoint different from the SJWs.
I EXIST AS A PERSON YOU KNOW! *sobs into bucket of chicken*

I was of the view that notwithstanding lack of signatures I could expect enough attention to get it read by some FtBers. That was my purpose.

They're not going to read my blog, but they might read the petition.

As a numbers game, of course it's stupid. I don't have a network of (however many blogs they have) to flog my petition.

It will at the very least show that there are some people being excluded only on the basis of fairly reasonable disagreement and some of their approach may change. (FtB may even improve its hit count and $!)

I also have come to learn that organising Slymepitters is somewhat like herding cats (unless they're donating money).

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Gumby wrote:What's with the underage Maggie, Lsuoma?
Paedo-magnet.

:puke-huge: :puke-huge: :puke-huge:

Also, just spotted this smiley: :romance-grouphug:

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Mykeru wrote: That reminds me, did the ninja throwing stars with [fill in paranoid freethought blogger victim attention whore]'s name on it come in yet?
No. I ended up getting a nice watch instead, and I have to pay off the balance on the Pit's Amazon account before I can order them. Sorry, but it's a nice watch.
http://images.shopcasio.com/imagesEdp/p167373b.jpg

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Thanks for the donation from New Joizey!

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

Dick Strawkins wrote: SNIP
Look, the basic problem we pitters face is that the word "feminism", though it has a very broad meaning, is widely interpreted by the general public as what we generally call equity or equality feminism (meaning equal rights for men and women, equal opportunity etc.)
To complain about "feminism" negatively affecting atheism and skepticism and you are off to a bad start. You are forced to go into a long winded explanation of the type of radical feminism you mean, all the while the FTB crowd are saying "but we are not rad fems, we are just ordinary feminists!"
SNIP
A lot of people seem to be saying "let's not debate Peezus about it because he'll just lie."

WTF. That's the response to Vacula's A+ challenge all over again.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Lsuoma wrote:
Gumby wrote:What's with the underage Maggie, Lsuoma?
Paedo-magnet.
Fuckin' paedo-magnets, how do they work?

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Lsuoma wrote:Thanks for the donation from New Joizey!
[spoiler]What exit?[/spoiler]

[spoiler]http://i.qkme.me/35ojx9.jpg[/spoiler]

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Gumby wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
Gumby wrote:

Um yeah, yeah, that's what I meant, IF there were one, which there's not, of course. Scuse me, must be off now.

welch

Post by welch »

rocko2466 wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote: SNIP
SNIP
A lot of people seem to be saying "let's not debate Peezus about it because he'll just lie."

WTF. That's the response to Vacula's A+ challenge all over again.
I have no interest in debating him because he'll quote mine the shit out of it for blog fodder. He's also completely two-faced in that what he says in person has fuck - nothing to do with what he says on his blog, so you can't assume that what he says in person is what he means, or vice-versa. Finally, the little fuck will change the goalposts at will. You can't have a debate or discussion with someone like that.

jjbinx007

Post by jjbinx007 »

Dick Strawkins wrote: As a quick aside, have a look at the radfem101 page - notice all the catchphrazes that have become commonplace in online atheism since Elevatorgate.
http://radicalhub.com/radfem-101/
If anyone thought for one moment that Feminism was about equality and not just women's issues then Feminism 101 rather helpfully has a section on why you must not point out that things happen to men too.
No one is saying that discussions on men and masculinities shouldn’t go on. It is absolutely important to have dialogue on men’s issues, including discussions on violence done towards men. The thing is, a feminist space — unless the topic is specifically men’s issues — is not the place to have that discussion and neither are spaces (feminist or otherwise) in which the topic is specifically focused on women’s issues.

What it boils down to is this: Men, not women, need to be the ones creating the spaces to discuss men’s issues. There are a lot of feminist allies who do this, in fact, and there also a lot of non-feminist (or anti-feminist, if you really want to go there) spaces that are welcoming to this kind of discussion. Thus, the appropriate response to a thread about women is not to post a comment on it about men, but rather to find (or make) a discussion about men.
(non Feminist obviously means anti-Feminist)

If you take a look at the Radfem link we are told:
Male bonding over misogyny
In real life, and as mirrored in media images, men bond with each other through observing and perpetrating acts of misogyny, such as working in groups to sexually harass women, watching misogynistic pornography together, and sexually abusing women such as in sharing hired prostituted women and strippers, sharing sexual partners, gang rape, and woman-murder.

Why? Because…

Male bonding over misogyny supports male power. Men increase their individual and collective power through all-male group-bonding, which creates relationships and networks through which they pass along opportunities and knowledge. This power-sharing over misogyny is often literal, such as business deals that take place in strip clubs where oftentimes, the women performing are economically coerced and exploited, and where female associates are either not invited or do not feel comfortable so are unable or unwilling to participate, and are denied opportunities that are in effect only available to men.

Male bonding over misogyny creates a shared identity and group cohesion, where they reassure each other that they are not powerless sexual slaves, rape-objects, domestic servants, physically weak or saddled with children; women are. They build trust over knowing that they are part of the same group, the privileged oppressor class, and that they share experiences, perspectives, and values, namely, male entitlement, male supremacy, misogyny, and a willingness to abuse their male privilege, including harming and committing crimes against girls and women.
But apparently, Feminism is simply the radical notion that women are people. If you're against Feminism you must be a porn-watching woman murderer who conducts business deals in strip clubs where you'll later rape those underpaid strippers.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Greta and EllenBeth's complete and total idiocy had to screencapped. These shitstains and their followers are a complete disgrace to skepticism and rational thought. EllenBeth is such a crybaby. I mean, they are like children with their banning, unfriending, and "I'm not your friend anymore" nonsense. The fucking cunts.

Laugh at your heart's contents.

http://i.imgur.com/4ETyP.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/jsdE6.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/p7qbz.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/4Uir7.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/JaCyO.jpg

I've linked to the screencaps because they won't show on here, for some reason.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

masakari2012 wrote:Maximus, no need for that. We just have to bring more minorities to the Pit. Let's start giving free handouts, free Slyme Pit stickers and ERV badges via mail, for every registration. Perhaps take my avatar pic, and turn it into ceramic jewelry. Then, we'll limit all of the white posters in this group so they can't post as much, and we'll have the minorities say as much as they'd like. That should do it! :P
Would you mind that I actually did that and made your avatar into a PSEUDO-ceramic jewellery necklace? It's Authentic Fake Jewellery (which cancels itself out and therefore makes it real jewellery). If you don't want me to use your av for it though, let me know and I'll remove those and that still leaves the other set that says "Authentic Fake Jewellery"

Btw, Zazzle makes me take a minimum of 10% profit on everything. If ever my profits go higher than $50, they will give it to me. However, my profits are at the huge lifetime total of $7.62, which I'll never see unless it hits $50 in profit some day. Anyways, I'm not expecting that to happen, but if it does, I'll pump it back into the Slymepit donation thingy, since I am spamming them here.

It's not the prettiest of colour selections, and there are far too many blues on the store page that shows them all, but here they are...Authentic Fake Jewellery!

http://www.scentednectar.com/slimepit/00010-1.png

http://www.scentednectar.com/slimepit/00010-2.png

Excuse all the naming inconsistencies in the store. Zazzle fucks them up beyond what I can control in the settings. I have no idea why or how they fuck them up, but they do.

TheMan

Post by TheMan »

Gumby wrote:
Mykeru wrote: That reminds me, did the ninja throwing stars with [fill in paranoid freethought blogger victim attention whore]'s name on it come in yet?
No. I ended up getting a nice watch instead, and I have to pay off the balance on the Pit's Amazon account before I can order them. Sorry, but it's a nice watch.
http://images.shopcasio.com/imagesEdp/p167373b.jpg

You use a watch to tell the time? Wrong tool man!

I face north and on my left hand lay my fist with my thumb sticking up and tell the time from the shadow it casts. At night I don't care what time it is :rimshot:

sacha

Post by sacha »

Mykeru wrote:
Yeah, well look at the kind of scumbags Aratina hangs with:

[spoiler]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8222/8376 ... 49ae_c.jpg[/spoiler]
"ool0n,
don't be naive they make socks on a whim, & sacha is complicit in that"
interesing. she's such a bit player, I could not remember which one she is, just her name was familiar. I had to go look...

I was on Google for 45 minutes still trying to figure out who she is. I found out she is actually a he, and I have quoted him in comments here. Still no idea how he fits in.

I had not read anything on FfTB in a long time, except recently when the links were posted here via freezepage, so I thought perhaps he was a blogger there. nope.

nothing on Phawrongula.

I found some fun tweets on his Twitter account, though.

I love how they are still hanging on to Hitch by a thread:
anti-feminist 1.png
(50.79 KiB) Downloaded 236 times
anti-feminist 2.png
(32.65 KiB) Downloaded 239 times
that alone made it worthwhile.

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

Arrggggh! That was out of context. I saw that interview! Arrrgh.

Don't worry. I love you, Hitch.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

TheMan wrote: You use a watch to tell the time? Wrong tool man!

I face north and on my left hand lay my fist with my thumb sticking up and tell the time from the shadow it casts. At night I don't care what time it is :rimshot:
That would be cheaper, but I prefer the watch cuz it's cooler :) . Actually, I did just get that one. I have somewhat of a G-Shock fetish.

astrokid.nj

Post by astrokid.nj »

Karmakin wrote: As a long-time reader (well now ex-reader..I stopped reading with the move of Pandagon to Raw Story..hate that site) of Pandagon, I'd argue the Marcotte you're reading now is of an entirely different mindset of the Marcotte of 5-10 years ago. (I go WAY back in the blogosphere). The old AM was supportive of the notion that the problem was oppressive gender roles that were often unconscious, placed upon people by both genders. Yes, the term "patriarchy" was used, but the whole point was that it was simply the existence of these gender roles that are placed upon both men and women BY men and women.
This is the same bollocks you peddled over at skepticink a while ago.. which I countered with evidence from the writings of the so-called first wave feminist Cady Stanton and from second wavers. My comment in full reproduced below.
[spoiler]Dont be sorry for the long posts. Your insight is compelling and in good faith. I will at the outset state that I am anti-feminist and MRA, and state my disagreements.
I consider myself a feminist, and have been a part of feminist communities online for a while. Part of the reason I do consider myself that, is that to be honest, the oppressor/oppressed dynamic was considered to be a bit of a strawman position, more or less, and what was embraced was an anti-strict gender role view of combating inequality (which I agree with). However, unfortunately over the last year or so, for whatever reason, there's been an embracing of the O/O worldview.
I also agree that the gender-binary was what needed combating.Warren Farrell contends that a gender-transition movement was needed.. for both men and women.
As an MRA, our contention is that feminism only worried about the female part, never analyzed how gender binary hurt men, and left men in the lurch. And even worse, blamed men for everything, and incrementally punished them in law. MRAs contend that the O/O dynamic was there right from the beginning.. look at the Declaration of Sentiments from Seneca Falls. Its Oppresive Patriarchy Lite.
The history of mankind is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations on the part of man toward woman, having in direct object the establishment of an absolute tyrranny over her. To prove this, let facts be submitted to a candid world.
Look at second wave feminism.. maybe for a short period it had egalitarian concerns, but was very soon taken over by Radfems, and the Redstockings Manifesto is O/O Oppresive Patriarchy .. indistinguishable from what you see nowadays.
III We identify the agents of our oppression as men. Male supremacy is the oldest, most basic form of domination. All other forms of exploitation and oppression (racism, capitalism, imperialism, etc.) are extensions of male supremacy: men dominate women, a few men dominate the rest. All power structures throughout history have been male-dominated and male-oriented. Men have controlled all political, economic and cultural institutions and backed up this control with physical force. They have used their power to keep women in an inferior position. All menreceive economic, sexual, and psychological benefits from male supremacy. All men have oppressed women.
And when some men figured it out and started speaking out, they were brushed aside. by people like Gloria Steinem no less.
The Lace Curtain
Hearing women’s internal stories – without hearing men’s – made the world seem unfair to women. Ironically, because we didn’t know men’s stories were being left out, the more we heard from women the more we thought we’d been neglecting women. Soon it became politically incorrect to interrupt her flow. So women’s stories became women’s studies, not to be interrupted by men’s studies.
Graduates of women’s studies courses soon controlled gender related decisions in almost all large bureaucracies. When an issue about sexual harassment or date rape came up on a college campus, the feminists flooded the committees concerning these decisions, created the agenda, and decided who would be hired as consultants and speakers.
The problem? Women with backgrounds in women’s studies were not only uneducated about men, but often saw men as the problem and women as the solution. They had demonized men. If someone spoke up against them, they weren’t just outnumbered, they were labeled sexist. And what we will see in this chapter is how that labeling led to the end of careers in the ‘80s and ‘90s as quickly as being labeled communist ended careers in the 1950s.
The power of feminists to allow only a feminist perspective to be aired (in every field that dealt with gender issues) came to be labeled the "Lace Curtain."
In other words, what the Atheist community is seeing now is nothing new. Its just that the internet has made it all very apparent to the discerning skeptics as well.
Maria M (bluharmony) recently posted a link to "myth created by feminists".
That blogpost effectively said that there was no male-on-female historical oppression of women, biology and untamed nature was the deciding factor as to how our cultures did division of labor, and we needed modern medicine to free women from reproduction constraints as well as massive expansion of tertiary sector of economy (i.e desk jobs) to get to where we are. Now the question is.. how long will society live in "myth of historical oppression", how long will men suffer from guilt and go on paying "reparations" to women?[/spoiler]
This is not restricted to just online feminists or FTB.. else that cracked article someone posted here wouldnt be talking about "myth of historical oppression of women(only)". I am pretty sure even anti-FTB "freethinkers" believe in it. for e.g Justin Vacula's friend Karla Porter from NEPA had a post where she bitches about how men have ruined it for women w.r.t gender double standards.. and after I argued with her, she grudgingly accepted that yeah.. women had an equal role. This is what she started with.
What holds women back today is no different than at the time when Moses was talking to the burning bush - a double standard that our culture and society will not recognize is unjust and move to finally and definitively rectify. Young women are subjected to messages and manipulation manufactured by men and even other women who have not come to realize their own mental and emotional subjugation. The result is the propagation of pervasive biased negative attitudes that cause direct harm to over half of our population, and indirectly to the population as a whole.

Karmakin

Post by Karmakin »

Mr Danksworth wrote:
Karmakin wrote: Actually, the same thing came up in the FTB community soon after they opened, with a conflict between the SJW's of the Slactiverse community and FTB, and generally speaking most of FTB rejected their ideology pretty much entirely at the time.

What do you think caused the supposed shift?
Couple of theories.

First, I should say that I think that what we call Gender Feminism (I prefer Neofeminism) is actually an inherently deeply sexist ideology. It's funny, because they claim to reject the notion about biological imperatives, but they act like they control each and every one of us. The whole privilege/power/oppression ideology falls apart without it. Anyway. I do think that early on the MRM movement presented itself as almost a mirror image of what they perceived feminism as having success with. This resulted in some feminists adopting a VERY defensive position.

Second, as I and others have said, I think that divisiveness actually is better for creating very tight communities that non-divisiveness, and if that's something they want to do (which it seems like it is), then it's the way to go.

Third, I actually think that skeptics/atheists are particularly vulnerable to this ideology. There's a lot of sexist/racist/etc. language that comes from religion, and as such we probably hear it more than most. So we think that because religion is privilege seeking, then other people must be as well, when in reality this is actually pretty rare.

In fact, I'd go as far as to say that the primary point to what religious groups are doing when they're acting in this sort of negative fashion, is that they don't really give a fuck about gay marriage or abortion or whatever. It's all about proving that they can throw their weight around. So because religion acts in that fashion while acting in a sexist fashion, people think that when other people are acting in what they perceive to be a sexist manner, that they're actively throwing weight around when that's rarely the case.

sacha

Post by sacha »

I saw that years and years ago. It's too good. Emma Watson has to be photoshopped.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

l
Scented Nectar wrote:
masakari2012 wrote:Maximus, no need for that. We just have to bring more minorities to the Pit. Let's start giving free handouts, free Slyme Pit stickers and ERV badges via mail, for every registration. Perhaps take my avatar pic, and turn it into ceramic jewelry. Then, we'll limit all of the white posters in this group so they can't post as much, and we'll have the minorities say as much as they'd like. That should do it! :P
Would you mind that I actually did that and made your avatar into a PSEUDO-ceramic jewellery necklace? It's Authentic Fake Jewellery (which cancels itself out and therefore makes it real jewellery). If you don't want me to use your av for it though, let me know and I'll remove those and that still leaves the other set that says "Authentic Fake Jewellery"
[spoiler]
Scented Nectar wrote:Btw, Zazzle makes me take a minimum of 10% profit on everything. If ever my profits go higher than $50, they will give it to me. However, my profits are at the huge lifetime total of $7.62, which I'll never see unless it hits $50 in profit some day. Anyways, I'm not expecting that to happen, but if it does, I'll pump it back into the Slymepit donation thingy, since I am spamming them here.

It's not the prettiest of colour selections, and there are far too many blues on the store page that shows them all, but here they are...Authentic Fake Jewellery!

http://www.scentednectar.com/slimepit/00010-1.png

http://www.scentednectar.com/slimepit/00010-2.png

Excuse all the naming inconsistencies in the store. Zazzle fucks them up beyond what I can control in the settings. I have no idea why or how they fuck them up, but they do.
[/spoiler]
"Authentic Fake Jewellery" - awesome!

Re "Jewellery" as an alternate spelling - I don't think I'd ever seen it spelled that way, so looked it up & have now learned something, thanks. Always a plus! (That is, always "a positive thing" - not "A+" *shudder*)

mikelf

Post by mikelf »

Gumby wrote: That would be cheaper, but I prefer the watch cuz it's cooler :) . Actually, I did just get that one. I have somewhat of a G-Shock fetish.

Meh. That and two dollars won't even get you a hotel room.

http://s3.vidimg02.popscreen.com/origin ... llars-.jpg

sacha

Post by sacha »

ERV wrote:
Tkmlac wrote:
masakari2012 wrote:Noelplum99's deleted comment on Adam Lee's blog.

Who is this Adam Lee? I had never heard of him. Some internet journalist turned atheist activist? Why is his name suddenly all over the place?
And once again, Im pretty sure hes dating Watson. I might be wrong, but my brain is reminding me of this.
apparently she lives with Adam Isaak of CFI

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

welch wrote:Reading more of zinnia's comments on why she did this...attention whoring is now what I think...
Zinnia? Attention whoring? Surely you jest!
Quelle surprise!
Clutch the pearls!
No, it cannot be. I refuse to believe it! :o

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

sacha wrote:
I saw that years and years ago. It's too good. Emma Watson has to be photoshopped.
http://bit.ly/UJLibr

LMU

Post by LMU »

Skep tickle wrote:PZ in "Did you have to remind me?" post on his blog today says (in part; bolding added by me):
PZ wrote:Yep, classes start for me tomorrow at 8am. ... I also get to teach my fave class, developmental biology. ... I’ll also be compelling my students to set up blogs and write about science publicly, so I’ll occasionally be linking to a lot of student work.
This seems unwise. Imagine the comment threads on his college students' blogs once the likes of Caine, Josh Spokesgay, etc follow PZ's links, at some point get triggered, & start unloading both barrels.

Also, potential financial conflict of interest, given that he gets paid for traffic at FtB. Presumably his students' work will be hosted at another site, but seems iffy if there were trackbacks or any other route by which his directing traffic from Pharyngula to the students' site might result in increased traffic back to Pharyngula.
Imagine if slymepitters try commenting on these student blogs. What happens if the student doesn't delete the unpersons fast enough?