The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Old subthreads
ReneeHendricks

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Pitchguest wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:Bit of an update, A Hermit is still keeping on with his mental gymnastics in the comments on Justin Vacula's YouTube video. Scented Nectar and I have been trying, in vain, to tut some sense into him but no avail.

Now the question is, should I leave it as is, or continue "the good fight" as it were with the slight sacrifice of my sanity? Sanity which is slowly being drained by his (among other things) droning requests for evidence which he immediately rejects if it's not from a source he accepts, incessant quote-mining, and deliberately misrepresenting people's words so he could "win" the argument. It's becoming a chore to even want to have a debate with these people, when you have to expect these things will happen. And Adam Lee has proven he doesn't have a thinking cell in his entire body, let alone in his brain, the fucking ponce. Lilandra, too, can go fuck herself, and I'm not saying that lightly - I genuinely feel sorry for Aron Ra who has to be married such a moistened bint, who speaks of fucking fallacies (or is that 'fellacies?'), well, lilandra, in the words of Ralph Fiennes (paraphrased); you're a fucking fallacy!
Link so I can peruse?
Oh yeah, forgot to include it:

Thanks! My head exploded reading the comments...I think at this point it's probably best to leave it as it is as "A Hermit" is not going to change s/h/it's mind.

JAB

Post by JAB »

ERV wrote:
Tkmlac wrote:
masakari2012 wrote:Noelplum99's deleted comment on Adam Lee's blog.

Who is this Adam Lee? I had never heard of him. Some internet journalist turned atheist activist? Why is his name suddenly all over the place?
And once again, Im pretty sure hes dating Watson. I might be wrong, but my brain is reminding me of this.
Ah, so she's got her hand up someone else's skirt.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Tigzy wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:Bit of an update, A Hermit is still keeping on with his mental gymnastics in the comments on Justin Vacula's YouTube video. Scented Nectar and I have been trying, in vain, to tut some sense into him but no avail.

Now the question is, should I leave it as is, or continue "the good fight" as it were with the slight sacrifice of my sanity? Sanity which is slowly being drained by his (among other things) droning requests for evidence which he immediately rejects if it's not from a source he accepts, incessant quote-mining, and deliberately misrepresenting people's words so he could "win" the argument. It's becoming a chore to even want to have a debate with these people, when you have to expect these things will happen. And Adam Lee has proven he doesn't have a thinking cell in his entire body, let alone in his brain, the fucking ponce. Lilandra, too, can go fuck herself, and I'm not saying that lightly - I genuinely feel sorry for Aron Ra who has to be married such a moistened bint, who speaks of fucking fallacies (or is that 'fellacies?'), well, lilandra, in the words of Ralph Fiennes (paraphrased); you're a fucking fallacy!
Just take the piss out of him - why take him seriously? After all, he's already done as good as a Godwin to support his argument, such as it is:
ahermit 1 day ago

No dodge; I've seen that site [Pharwrongula]. What it provides is not data or evidence.

Reminds me of the sites holocaust deniers send me to for what they call "real history." Just a lot of carefully selected self referential links, out of context quotes, sloppy conspiracy theories and paranoia.It's a fucking joke.

A hermit was one of the ftbnutters who went to Rationalia to defend the actions of PZ and his ilk. He was a loser then, and nothings changed. All he has is spin and fallacies, and the only reason to interact with him is to get others to see what their supporters are like.

codelette

Post by codelette »

@EdwardGemmer

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Hey all,

I created a new thread called the "The FfTB/Skepchick/A+ Censorship Archive":
http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=232

It's in the "FTB Images and Archives" forum. It's a good place to put all the comments and other exchanges that the Baboons try to make disappear so that they can pretend that the vast majority agrees with their positions. Having everything in one place makes it a snap to point out how duplicitous these people are. So, if you have anything from the past, or come across something new, put it there for easy future reference.

sKepptiksowat

Post by sKepptiksowat »

I just want to know what lip sync software that is.

Try Crazy Talk. http://www.reallusion.com/crazytalk/animator/

Pretty much the best. I've used it on some of my channels in various projects.

BoxNDox

Post by BoxNDox »

rayshul wrote: That's really, really fucked up. Why is fucking slap a feminist issue? Why does it need to be taken apart like that? I mean... fuck. Wear make up or don't wear make up or what the fuck ever. And some men will like it and some men won't and some men will ask to try some on.
The same could be said about women's shoes, you know. :shhh:

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

OH SNAP.

Dave

Post by Dave »

Zenspace wrote:
ERV wrote:
Tkmlac wrote:

Who is this Adam Lee? I had never heard of him. Some internet journalist turned atheist activist? Why is his name suddenly all over the place?
And once again, Im pretty sure hes dating Watson. I might be wrong, but my brain is reminding me of this.
Personally, I doubt that is true. If so, his wife is going to be very angry. I'll hit him squarely on his bullshit, of which he is producing copious amounts lately, but that one is highly, highly unlikely.
Don't see why that would be a problem. I'm pretty sure that PZ has been dating Watson for some time now, and he has a wife too. Mind you, I'm not sure Watson realizes they're dating.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Well, got off my ass and posted links to Zinna's piece on Manning at Firedoglake, their FB page, and the Save Bradley Manning FB page. Let's see what develops.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

This is why we can't have nice shoes:

http://i.imgur.com/kAU3t.jpg

"Fighting fashionable nonsense" indeed. :lol:

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Whoever Adam Lee is, he's running the playbook:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8468/8376 ... ed54_z.jpg

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

I see Rocko's petition has caught the beady eye of the Sick Wench of Doom, who, in crowing about it not having had much publicity, makes me wonder why she should otherwise complain of bullying when clearly those bullies are quite incapable of generating as much noise for their pet hates as she and her ilk are.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamo ... -petition/

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

ERV wrote:
Tkmlac wrote:

It's not Adam Lee.
It's Adam Isaak, the producer of 'Point of Inquiry'

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-jKp3 ... /photo.jpg

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
ERV wrote:
Tkmlac wrote:

It's not Adam Lee.
It's Adam Isaak, the producer of 'Point of Inquiry'

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-jKp3 ... /photo.jpg
More evidence, as if it were needed, that Watson is a narcissist to the core. :lol:

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Yet another, um, 'appropriate' ad from FTB, no doubt designed to appeal to their feminist deomographic:
http://i.imgur.com/rI9ej.png

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

I guess that the ads you see on FTB depend on your IP address. Folks in the US may never see the ones I screencapped above.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Jan Steen wrote:I guess that the ads you see on FTB depend on your IP address. Folks in the US may never see the ones I screencapped above.
I have to admit, I do get amused at the recruiting ads for the Royal Marines Commandoes I see on FTB from time to time.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Tigzy wrote:I see Rocko's petition has caught the beady eye of the Sick Wench of Doom, who, in crowing about it not having had much publicity, makes me wonder why she should otherwise complain of bullying when clearly those bullies are quite incapable of generating as much noise for their pet hates as she and her ilk are.

There's fighting battles, then there's choosing your battles wisely. The counter-petition was doomed to failure from the start. It was a horrible idea. Most of us here already know how ridiculous these counter-petitions are, and I knew not many would sign it. All it did was give the Baboons a little larf ammo because they have a much bigger publicity machine and a bigger reader base than us - a reader base that lurves to sign petitions because they think that equates to "activism". Rocko meant well, but it was a stupid thing to do.

windy

Post by windy »

Notung wrote:For anyone who missed it earlier - there IS a petition worth signing: http://skepticink.com/notung/2013/01/13 ... xecutions/
It may be a worthwhile petition, but the charges against the two men don't have anything to do with blasphemy or what happened to Alexander Aan - despite the name, moharebeh is used against people who have allegedly taken up arms against the state. If you follow the link I posted earlier, they have lots of earlier updates on this case.

btw, I found the source I was wondering about earlier- it seems that Namazie simply gave the name of the wrong organisation in the post.

Perhaps you'd also like to highlight a couple of ongoing cases from Saudi-Arabia that do have a connection to religious apostasy?
http://www.ansamed.info/ansamed/en/news ... 24129.html
Badawi was arrested for allegedly insulting Islam on his website, ''threatening general security'' and ridiculing the religious police in his articles, one of which was published on Saint Valentine's Day, which is banned in Saudi Arabia. Badawi also allegedly refused to remove articles written by others from his website. The charges were changed on December 17 to apostasy, which is a capital crime in Saudi Arabia.
Another Saudi dissident intellectual, Turki al-Hamad, has been incarcerated since December 24 on charges of insulting the Prophet Mohammed because of a tweet in which he suggested Islam might need reform.

skepCHUD

Post by skepCHUD »

Dick Strawkins wrote;
If I were on Mannings defence team I'd be requesting a copy of all the FTB backchannel communication immediately.

NAL but if there is someone counseling her to go public with her potential testimony could this be seen as witness tampering? Also, if Jones is doing this to discourage the defense from calling her and there is evidence of this could she be in trouble?

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn »

sacha wrote:
cunt wrote:
Rystefn wrote: Way behind on my reading at this point, some shit came up yesterday. Anyway, for those of you following along at home, there was a bit of a problem with the recording. Since the challenge was made by cunt, I sent him a PM about it and it's up to him at this point if he wants to call it good enough or if I'll be recording a new one. Just in case anyone was thinking I'm backing out.

The part where I make fun of him for realizing he was being an idiot and it's pretty easy to drive a normal nail with a screwdriver, so he went on the internet to look up what the largest size of nails is came out alright, though.
I want to see someone use his White Cock of Authority penis for this instead of a screwdriver.
I think that would violate YouTube's terms of service.

LMU

Post by LMU »

Gumby wrote:
Tigzy wrote:I see Rocko's petition has caught the beady eye of the Sick Wench of Doom, who, in crowing about it not having had much publicity, makes me wonder why she should otherwise complain of bullying when clearly those bullies are quite incapable of generating as much noise for their pet hates as she and her ilk are.

There's fighting battles, then there's choosing your battles wisely. The counter-petition was doomed to failure from the start. It was a horrible idea. Most of us here already know how ridiculous these counter-petitions are, and I knew not many would sign it. All it did was give the Baboons a little larf ammo because they have a much bigger publicity machine and a bigger reader base than us - a reader base that lurves to sign petitions because they think that equates to "activism". Rocko meant well, but it was a stupid thing to do.
I don't think online petitions or polls do much either way, but I don't think we should knock people too much for trying. Similarly for JV's attempt to involve the A+ers in debate. I think it's important to do these things so that more people know we are out here holding a viewpoint different from the SJWs.

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

Outwest wrote:Does anyone realize we have over 1000 posts here, on a new thread? In the same amount of time, how many posts at the A+ forum?
The Pitters are outpacing the Plussers by at least two posts to one, over the last seven days:
http://skepticink.com/backgroundprobabi ... ce-to-70k/

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

d4m10n wrote:
Outwest wrote:Does anyone realize we have over 1000 posts here, on a new thread? In the same amount of time, how many posts at the A+ forum?
The Pitters are outpacing the Plussers by at least two posts to one, over the last seven days:
Are those Weibull functions in the header of your blog?

codelette

Post by codelette »

@EdwardGemmer

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Gumby wrote:

Even when it comes to their 'activism', they're completely half-arsed about it. Especially when it comes to something genuinely important, like the Alexander Aan petition:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamo ... ourselves/

But I'm sure they can salve their consciences by signing Adam Lee's petition, and maybe chuck in a shoe or two for Greta as well.

In any case, I think Rocko's petition was one of those things that was going to be damned either way. If it only attracted a tiny number of sigs, the FTB crowd can crow about how tiny and pathetic the opposition is; if it should end up attracting loads, they'll just use it as a prime example of the extent of the misogynist bullying that goes on in the community.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

LMU wrote:
Gumby wrote:

I don't think online petitions or polls do much either way, but I don't think we should knock people too much for trying. Similarly for JV's attempt to involve the A+ers in debate. I think it's important to do these things so that more people know we are out here holding a viewpoint different from the SJWs.
I'm not saying that we should only partake in battles that we know we can win, I'm just saying that we shouldn't partake in silly useless battles that we're guaranteed to lose. Especially a petition that wasn't even really spread around that much from all indications.There's already an ever-growing number of people who are learning about the differing viewpoint - a much larger number than the number of people registered here. I just don't think anything positive was served by this counter-petition, and in fact made "the opposition" look a lot smaller and insignificant than it actually is. Maybe I'm just crabby today, I don't know. But I think some emails stating Rocko's verbiage in the petition addressed to the same people addressed in Lee's petition would have had more effect. As it stands, this has done nothing but give the Baboons chuckles.

comslave

Post by comslave »

Tigzy wrote:Yet another, um, 'appropriate' ad from FTB, no doubt designed to appeal to their feminist deomographic:
http://i.imgur.com/rI9ej.png

Note: not everyone will see the same ads. Which add you see will be controled by your browsing habits. If you have a cookie relating to a manga web site, the ads you see may include manga ads. It's all about what visitor data they can collect on you based on your cookies.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

@Comslave

I'm not remotely interested in anime, so lord knows why that one popped up. Weirdly enough, just about every FTB ad I've seen is about something I'm not remotely interested in - hence the preponderance of religious ads I see there.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Tigzy wrote: Even when it comes to their 'activism', they're completely half-arsed about it. Especially when it comes to something genuinely important, like the Alexander Aan petition:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamo ... ourselves/
Well, we all already know that these shits don't give a rat's ass about actual social justice other then paying lip service to it, but when it comes to supporting their own agenda, they come out in droves.
But I'm sure they can salve their consciences by signing Adam Lee's petition, and maybe chuck in a shoe or two for Greta as well.
Case in point. Fuck Aan, we have imaginary misogyny to fight and shoes to buy for Greta!
In any case, I think Rocko's petition was one of those things that was going to be damned either way. If it only attracted a tiny number of sigs, the FTB crowd can crow about how tiny and pathetic the opposition is; if it should end up attracting loads, they'll just use it as a prime example of the extent of the misogynist bullying that goes on in the community.
I would have rather had the latter case than the former, obviously, but yeah they would have spun it either way.

This whole episode is an example of Welch's bit about how not to fight NMDs. You don't win by playing their games or posting at their blogs, you win by sitting back, pointing out their hypocrisy, lies, harassment, bullying and vileness, and laughing at them. That's the Pit's strength, and that's why this place has caught the eye of so many (even if they don't admit it).

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Tigzy wrote:
Jan Steen wrote:I guess that the ads you see on FTB depend on your IP address. Folks in the US may never see the ones I screencapped above.
I have to admit, I do get amused at the recruiting ads for the Royal Marines Commandoes I see on FTB from time to time.
Join the Royal Nay Vee: it really is something other than else!

[youtube]HtbKSXoueks[/youtube]

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

AbsurdWalls wrote:
d4m10n wrote:
No, they are just cumulative normal functions, however, the CDF for the Weibull distribution does look a lot like the Gaussian CDF for higher values of the shape parameter k.

ray cumfart

Post by ray cumfart »

[youtube]YcSglVRYe6M[/youtube]

This will surley make the baboons start flinging their feces. Dosent Ana know that Thunderf00t is an evil misogynist?? like we all know that he has to be planning on raping her the very first chance he gets :character-bowser:

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

d4m10n wrote:
AbsurdWalls wrote:
d4m10n wrote:
No, they are just cumulative normal functions, however, the CDF for the Weibull distribution does look a lot like the Gaussian CDF for higher values of the shape parameter k.
True. In my field they are used pretty interchangeably. Originally the Weibull distribution was used much more frequently than the cumulative normal because of the relative ease with which one can apply it. I had an inkling from the collection of symbols at the top of your blog that you might work in a related area to me, but your use of the letter k for the shape parameter indicates otherwise (we use beta... you heathen!).

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

AbsurdWalls wrote:
d4m10n wrote:
AbsurdWalls wrote:
d4m10n wrote:
True. In my field they are used pretty interchangeably. Originally the Weibull distribution was used much more frequently than the cumulative normal because of the relative ease with which one can apply it. I had an inkling from the collection of symbols at the top of your blog that you might work in a related area to me, but your use of the letter k for the shape parameter indicates otherwise (we use beta... you heathen!).
I'm not partisan about it. Truth be told, I hardly ever get to do real stats these days, since none of my bosses' bosses care to see anything more complex than moving average forecasts. Thinking of a lateral career move into street performance, which is a more honestly expressive endeavor.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

When child-raping scumbag and British TV icon Jimmy Saville died, a Catholic journalist, William Oddie, lamented the fact that not more attention had been given in the obituaries to the man’s Catholicism. PZ Myers in a new post uses this lament to take a dig at the Catholic Church. Now, I have no sympathy whatsoever for the Church or its apologists. But when PZ omits to mention that Oddie wrote his complaint shortly after Saville’s death in 2011, before it became publicly known what a vile person Saville had been, his piece becomes a dishonest hack job. As sceptics we should not oppose the religious with the same methods the less scrupulous among them use against us. We should be better than they are. In this respect, PZ is not doing the cause of atheism and scepticism a favour. He descends to the level of the worst religious apologists.

But what can you expect from a guy who continually tries to perpetuate the myth that the Slymepit is a den of misogynists, and who even tried to associate us with the women-hating mass murderer Marc Lepine? He has truly become nothing but a two-bit propagandist.

http://i.imgur.com/aafbQ.jpg

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ism-again/

somedumbguy

Post by somedumbguy »

ray cumfart wrote:[youtube]YcSglVRYe6M[/youtube]

This will surley make the baboons start flinging their feces. Dosent Ana know that Thunderf00t is an evil misogynist?? like we all know that he has to be planning on raping her the very first chance he gets :character-bowser:
PZ Myers wasted no time in misrepresenting the message of Thunderf00t's video.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

I just watched the video. Way to go PZ, mischaracterizing everything that Thunderf00t said.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Badger3k wrote:Well, got off my ass and posted links to Zinna's piece on Manning at Firedoglake, their FB page, and the Save Bradley Manning FB page. Let's see what develops.
Throwing the fox in amongst the chickens? That’s always good for some entertainment …. :-)

welch

Post by welch »

another lurker wrote:

I just watched the video. Way to go PZ, mischaracterizing everything that Thunderf00t said.
Of course he did. The loyal commentariat won't listen for themselves, so it's not like PZ has to worry about any real criticism.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Gumby wrote:
This whole episode is an example of Welch's bit about how not to fight NMDs. You don't win by playing their games or posting at their blogs, you win by sitting back, pointing out their hypocrisy, lies, harassment, bullying and vileness, and laughing at them. That's the Pit's strength, and that's why this place has caught the eye of so many (even if they don't admit it).
Exactly.
It was a terrible idea to take them on directly by running a petition. To do that you are validating their stance, yet their official stance is a facade behind which they hide their real agenda - maintaining their monopoly of highly paid speaker positions in the US conference circuit.

Look, the basic problem we pitters face is that the word "feminism", though it has a very broad meaning, is widely interpreted by the general public as what we generally call equity or equality feminism (meaning equal rights for men and women, equal opportunity etc.)
To complain about "feminism" negatively affecting atheism and skepticism and you are off to a bad start. You are forced to go into a long winded explanation of the type of radical feminism you mean, all the while the FTB crowd are saying "but we are not rad fems, we are just ordinary feminists!"
It is really a winning strategy for them. I mean, look at them. Look at the incompetence, the obvious hypocrisy and the blatant bigotry, greed and viciousness.
Why are they still around?
Why is a dork like Watson getting invited all around the world to talk science?
It's because of their strategy to link a very fluid version of feminism to their cause.

Look at how Peezus defines their brand of feminism:

"Feminism: The radical notion that women are people"

It's a quote that pops up in various Feminism101 pieces you'll find scattered around the net and is originally attributed to the British journalist Rebecca West.

This is the idea that PZ Myers and the FTB crowd claim WE are opposing.

That women are people.

You know what ?
I don't oppose the idea that women are people.
What's more, I will take a guess and say that NOBODY that posts here thinks that women are not people.

In fact, going by PZ's description, the Slymepit is a feminist site!

I realize that PZ and his crew don't really think that feminism is simply believing "women are people".
It's clear to all that PZ really believes something more along the lines of:

Feminism is the radical notion that women are people, plus X.
X, itself, is composed of A plus B, plus C, plus D, which vary in definition and importance depending on the question at hand (rape culture, patriarchy, mansplaining, privilege, sex positivity, misogyny etc)

While I agree with Welsh that we should never take them on at their own game, but merely poke fun at their ridiculousness from the sidelines, I think it might be worthwhile to consider the similarities of the FTB side to a religious coalition.
They remind me of the religious right in the US, with Catholics allied with fundamentalist baptists. They have a cause that joins them but there are deep differences that will eventually tear them apart.
Despite the use of radfem language (mansplaining, privilege, rape culture etc) I don't think it is accurate to describe the FTB crowd as radfems.
They are mostly on the sex positive side of feminism, as opposed to the pornography negative side (nobody calls themself sex negative). I would place only Ophelia and Taslima on the pornography/sex worker negative side.
The rest of them use the language and arguments of the porn negative feminists (radfems) whenever it seem necessary, for the simple reason that the radfem philosophy of patriarchy theory is like the flood geology of feminism. It is unfalsifiable - and therefore it seems the perfect tool to use in an argument since, like flood geology, it has easy canned answers to every problem posed, except instead of "God did it!"" you get: "you just don't get it due to privilege!", "you are mansplaining!", "rape culture!", "it's misogyny!")

What would happen if the Slymepit announced it was a feminist* site?

*PZ Myers plagiarized definition. (Feminism is the radical notion that women are people"

I suspect that they would be forced into redefining what they really mean by feminism - and that is bound to lead to problems because most of them don't seem to know what the various schools of feminist thought believe.

As a quick aside, have a look at the radfem101 page - notice all the catchphrazes that have become commonplace in online atheism since Elevatorgate.
http://radicalhub.com/radfem-101/

codelette

Post by codelette »

I'm gonna leave this here: http://sjwsofokc.tumblr.com/

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Jan Steen wrote:When child-raping scumbag and British TV icon Jimmy Saville died, a Catholic journalist, William Oddie, lamented the fact that not more attention had been given in the obituaries to the man’s Catholicism. PZ Myers in a new post uses this lament to take a dig at the Catholic Church. Now, I have no sympathy whatsoever for the Church or its apologists. But when PZ omits to mention that Oddie wrote his complaint shortly after Saville’s death in 2011, before it became publicly known what a vile person Saville had been, his piece becomes a dishonest hack job. As sceptics we should not oppose the religious with the same methods the less scrupulous among them use against us. We should be better than they are. In this respect, PZ is not doing the cause of atheism and scepticism a favour. He descends to the level of the worst religious apologists.

But what can you expect from a guy who continually tries to perpetuate the myth that the Slymepit is a den of misogynists, and who even tried to associate us with the women-hating mass murderer Marc Lepine? He has truly become nothing but a two-bit propagandist.

http://i.imgur.com/aafbQ.jpg

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ism-again/
Fuckin Hell - you're right. The link that Peezee offers is from Nov 2011 - way before all the ugly stuff about Savile's life came to light. Yet Peezee is phrasing Oddie's displeasure in the present tense:
William Oddie, the Catholic writer for the Catholic Herald who writes about Catholic concerns, is very irate. It seems a popular celebrity recently died, and the newspapers were fulsome in their obituaries, praising his charitable works and his lifelong generosity,
Peez is attempting to make a case here that Oddie's lament at the lack of publicity for Savile's Catholicism is being made in the face of what resulted from the Savile enquiry. Fuckin disgraceful!

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Look, the basic problem we pitters face is that the word "feminism", though it has a very broad meaning, is widely interpreted by the general public as what we generally call equity or equality feminism (meaning equal rights for men and women, equal opportunity etc.)
To complain about "feminism" negatively affecting atheism and skepticism and you are off to a bad start. You are forced to go into a long winded explanation of the type of radical feminism you mean, all the while the FTB crowd are saying "but we are not rad fems, we are just ordinary feminists!"
This is how they suckered me in, originally. I thought they were talking about equity feminism, and that the pit was opposed to that. As someone who read the FTB forums casually, the 'radfem' theme was hard to spot.

What always stood out, however, was the vicious commentariat. I just could not understand how they could treat people so cruelly for 'just asking questions.' Over time it became clear that, in their minds, naive readers did not exist. NOPE. Everyone who showed any kind of curiosity and expressed that curiosity by 'just asking questions' was in actuality a secret misogynist troll from misogynist-conspirary-land!

16bitheretic

Post by 16bitheretic »

I think the following quote, from PZ's echo-chamber, where a user is responding to someone mentioning Thunderf00t's latest video, says quite a bit about the low capacity for independent thought present at Pharyngula and other associated places:
johnmarley wrote:I didn’t watch more than 5 seconds of that. The scare-quotes told me all I need to know. Thanks.
Wow, refusal to even hear the opposing viewpoint. Surely that strengthens your own ability to critically analyze and come to your own conclusions, right? LOL!

You know, it's that sort of mindset that puzzles me. I've sat through entire speeches and lectures from all sorts of fools: race realists, actual misogynists arguing that Islam has a holy right to circumcise girls, creationists, 9/11 truthers, Obama birthers, chemtrail watchers, white separatists and fundamentalists of both Islam and Christianity, and never once did I find it to be a waste. Each time I listened to this sort of shit I learned something about rhetoric, about propaganda, about the fears of various peoples, about the origins of bad arguments and bad critical thinking and about new applications of skepticism. Just going "oohhh, he's a bad person! I must take someone else's word and ignore so I don't have to think for myself!" wouldn't have taught me a damn thing.

Even though some of my posts here heavily criticize feminism and compare it's methodology of thought and practice to that of religion, I still am willing to listen and even find things agreeable in some of the material produced by various feminist speakers and writers. Same with the MRA movement, which I had never even heard of until PZ, Skepchick and the other intellectual cowards in their circles kept tossing the acronym around as a boogeyman. I don't identify as MRA and I disagree with some of the MRA/MRM material I've encountered, but I also see that they make valid points too and am perfectly willing to engage in discussion and find points of both agreement and civil disagreement. The minute I shut out all dialogue and enter into a little protected bubble of perfect alignment with my own viewpoint I would be intellectually dead.

And if any of the FTB/A+/Skepchick followers, who gleefully chant "FREEZE PEACH!" like a bunch of sheep anytime their heroes delete or alter their critics or even prevent criticism in the first place by simply banning someone for posting here or other State Unapproved internet outlets, are reading this, keep in mind that those of us who left your circles and embraced places like this do so because of the lack of cowardice. The mindset behind the commenting in your little worlds is disgusting and counter-productive to development of actual thinking.

somedumbguy

Post by somedumbguy »

Well, to followup:

Erika Jarvis interviewed Paul Elam and the interview was published at the Toronto Standard, a journalism start up. The interview was reasonably well done. It wasn't a puff piece, nor was it an attack piece.

Elam's discussion and a pdf of the interview can be found here:

http://www.avoiceformen.com/feminism/fe ... ka-jarvis/

Found there, because the article was removed from the Toronto Standard. A short conversation between Jarvis and Elam gave the impression that the Standard had removed the article. But apparently Elam misread or was misled by Jarvis.

Her email to Elam said
"Thanks, Paul. It was a really big piece for me."
The Standard did remove the article, but it was at Jarvis' request

http://s568.beta.photobucket.com/user/a ... 9.jpg.html

Why she requested is unknown, but in that earlier email she also said:
"The feminist backlash was…illuminating."
More can be read here:

http://www.avoiceformen.com/feminism/fe ... ika-jarvis

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

EdwardGemmer wrote:A thought I had this morning. I was kicked off of the Pharyngula website ostensibly because I was curious about why men commit crime. I had to jump through and acknowledge all of the "privilege" stuff that I do agree with, but my question was why do men, even though privileged, commit more crime. I was pretty clear that I represent a lot of men, especially young black men, and I am searching for some answers on that question. Then came the parade of insults and the banning. It occurs to me that these limousine liberals like PZ Myers have very little concern with actual victims of racism and sexism. If you are going to attack someone because they dare defend black people, I can only come to the conclusion that PZ Myers is in fact, a racist.
Don’t know how to what extent you’re familiar with evolutionary psychology, although I noticed that you quoted some statistics on the incarceration rates for, and incidences of violent crimes by, both men and women in a recent Pharyngula thread, but you might be interested in this somewhat introductory chapter by Stephen Pinker which elaborates on that in some detail. Some notatable passages:

[spoiler]
In any case, what we do know about the sexes does not call for any action that would penalize or constrain one sex or the other. Many psychological traits relevant to the public sphere, such as general intelligence, are the same on average for men and women, and virtually all psychological traits may be found in varying degrees among the members of each sex. No sex difference yet discovered applies to every last man compared with every last woman, so generalizations about a sex will always be untrue of many individuals.

But of course the minds of men and women are not identical, and recent reviews of sex differences have converged on some reliable differences. Sometimes the differences are large, with only slight overlap in the bell curves. Men have a much stronger taste for no-strings sex with multiple or anonymous partners, as we see in the almost all-male consumer base for prostitution and visual pornography. Men are far more likely to compete violently, sometimes lethally, with one another over stakes great and small (as in the recent case of a surgeon and an anesthesiologist who came to blows in the operating room while a patient lay on the table waiting to have her gall bladder removed). Among children, boys spend far more time practicing for violent conflict in the form of what psychologists genteelly call "rough-and-tumble play". The ability to manipulate three-dimensional objects and space in the mind also shows a large difference in favor of men.

With some other traits the differences are small on average but can be large at the extremes. That happens for two reasons. When two bell curves partly overlap, the farther out along the tail you go, the larger the discrepancies between the groups. For example, men on average are taller than women, and the discrepancy is greater for more extreme values. At a height of five foot ten, men outnumber women by a ratio of thirty to one; at a height of six feet, men outnumber women by a ratio of two thousand to one. Also, confirming an expectation from evolutionary psychology, for many traits the bell curve for males is flatter and wider than the curve for females. That is, there are proportionally more males at the extremes. Along the left tail of the curve, one finds that boys are far more likely to be dyslexic, learning disabled, attention deficient, emotionally disturbed, and mentally retarded (at least for some types of retardation). At the right tail, one finds that in a sample of talented students who score above 700 (out of 800) on the mathematics section of the Scholastic Assessment Test, boys outnumber girls by thirteen to one, even though the scores of boys and girls are similar within the bulk of the curve.
[/spoiler]
So, statisticially speaking, men are generally better – “at the right tail” of the bell curve for males – at mathematics, but generally worse – “at the left tail” – in terms of being “dyslexic, learning disabled, … and mentally retarded”. Now, definitely a moot question to what extent all of those attributes are genetically determined and influenced or simply culturally “constructed”, but it seems rather a stretch to insist – as many “gender feminists” apparently do, although many other feminists insist that the former are as rare as hen’s teeth – that genetics doesn’t play a significant role. And decidedly problematic that so many, mostly feminists, have a positive aversion, if not a mind-destroying fear – to giving any thought to that hypothesis. Can’t fix the problem if we refuse to face the facts.

Although another related problem is, I think and as Pinker suggests, the difficulty in comparing statistical populations where there are significant degrees of overlap – comparing apples and oranges is child’s play in comparison – which leads to all sorts of problematic stereotyping. Maybe someone with a better handle on the concepts might want to put together a tutorial on the topic … hint, hint.

Keating

Post by Keating »

ERV wrote:And once again, Im pretty sure hes dating Watson. I might be wrong, but my brain is reminding me of this.
No, he's absolutely not. I don't think he ever has either. He did recently get married though. His essays on Atheism, when he previously went by the nym "Ebon", are a pretty good examination of the rational reasons to be an atheist.

I used to enjoy his blog before he moved to Big Think, as he did allow wide debate in comments. Some relevant posts (by random clicking) include this one on free speech and this one on thirsting for persecution. Although now that I go back and look, I realise that the posts that I enjoyed most were actually mostly be guest bloggers. Go figure. (For example, this one.)

codelette

Post by codelette »

Dick Strawkins wrote: "Feminism: The radical notion that women are people"

It's a quote that pops up in various Feminism101 pieces you'll find scattered around the net and is originally attributed to the British journalist Rebecca West.

That women are people.

You know what ?
What's more, I will take a guess and say that NOBODY that posts here thinks that women are not people.
I'm a woman. I'm pretty sure I am people. I am also NOT a feminist, nor a MRA.
What's misogynistic about that?

DownThunder

Post by DownThunder »

A simple yet effective rhetorical device. Far too simple minded. That sentence does not encompass nor explain typical feminist behaviour, nor even a fraction of it.

Feminism: The radical notion that women shouldn't be melted down into glue. For fun.

Try it at home kids. Endless fun and floored argumentation.

KacyRay

Post by KacyRay »

KarlVonMox

Post by KarlVonMox »

another lurker wrote:

Not surprising in the slightest. Indeed, I have come to expect nothing but intellectual dishonesty from him.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

PZ in "Did you have to remind me?" post on his blog today says (in part; bolding added by me):
PZ wrote:Yep, classes start for me tomorrow at 8am. ... I also get to teach my fave class, developmental biology. ... I’ll also be compelling my students to set up blogs and write about science publicly, so I’ll occasionally be linking to a lot of student work.
This seems unwise. Imagine the comment threads on his college students' blogs once the likes of Caine, Josh Spokesgay, etc follow PZ's links, at some point get triggered, & start unloading both barrels.

Also, potential financial conflict of interest, given that he gets paid for traffic at FtB. Presumably his students' work will be hosted at another site, but seems iffy if there were trackbacks or any other route by which his directing traffic from Pharyngula to the students' site might result in increased traffic back to Pharyngula.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

You know, it's funny to me that modern feminists, the so-called "third wave" of feminism, may have actually ruined it for themselves when they appropriated the theories of the radical second wave and decided to not just co-opt, but also trump them up; escalate them. There is no denying that feminism - the ideology - would be far less intimidating if it weren't for their conspiring about "rape culture", "the patriarchy", "male privilege" and so forth, or the notion that somehow women are being oppressed and demonised. Pretty much commiting an own goal in terms of ideological purity. For instance, "rape culture" was an idea manufactured mainly in the US in the mid 70's-early 80's, by radical feminists of the second wave (like Gloria Steinem, Andrea Dworkin, et al, although merely spokespersons for the concept and not its originators) and then quickly went off the grid - only to be seen again in the late 20th-early 21st century, marketed once again by radical feminists of the new generation.

It's therefore no surprise to me that the concept of "rape culture" is still being rejected to this day, despite the fact that Melissa McEwan of Shakesville wrote her own Rape Culture 101 to inform people about it, and the same thing applies to "the patriarchy" and the rest of the nonsense-filled diatribes and rhetoric they continually spew. If more feminists were like Miranda Celeste Hale or Ana Kasparian, then it wouldn't even be an issue. Sex-positive, strong women who take no shit from anyone - man or woman - whose psyche are not made out of porcelain to be handled with care at all times. Likewise if more religious people were more tolerant and not eager to intrude into other people's lives, then they would merely be a blip on the radar.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

codelette wrote:

That women are people.

You know what ?
Oh silly codelette, you've just "internalized misogynistic thought"! At least that was what I was told by the baboons when I pointed out that women in the video game industry disagreed with Anita Sarkizian(spelling ?). Patriarchy theory has an easy answer for everything! Wish we had a cool conspiracy theory :(

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Maximus wrote:
codelette wrote:

That women are people.

You know what ?
Oh silly codelette, you've just "internalized misogynistic thought"! At least that was what I was told by the baboons when I pointed out that women in the video game industry disagreed with Anita Sarkizian(spelling ?). Patriarchy theory has an easy answer for everything! Wish we had a cool conspiracy theory :(
When I play video games with my boyfriend I always make him play a supersexy female character - and we run around the world dressing and acting like total sluts.

Does that make me a misogynist?

P.S. We played female night elves in WoW and we were always 'complimenting' one another on how 'hot' we looked b/c the night elves were built from the ground up to be pure sex.

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

Skep tickle wrote:PZ in "Did you have to remind me?" post on his blog today says (in part; bolding added by me):
PZ wrote:Yep, classes start for me tomorrow at 8am. ... I also get to teach my fave class, developmental biology. ... I’ll also be compelling my students to set up blogs and write about science publicly, so I’ll occasionally be linking to a lot of student work.
This seems unwise. Imagine the comment threads on his college students' blogs once the likes of Caine, Josh Spokesgay, etc follow PZ's links, at some point get triggered, & start unloading both barrels.

Also, potential financial conflict of interest, given that he gets paid for traffic at FtB. Presumably his students' work will be hosted at another site, but seems iffy if there were trackbacks or any other route by which his directing traffic from Pharyngula to the students' site might result in increased traffic back to Pharyngula.
Conflict of interest? I wonder whether academics who set textbooks that they themselves wrote have to worry about conflict of interest.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

another lurker wrote:
Maximus wrote:
codelette wrote:

That women are people.

You know what ?
When I play video games with my boyfriend I always make him play a supersexy female character - and we run around the world dressing and acting like total sluts.

Does that make me a misogynist?

P.S. We played female night elves in WoW and we were always 'complimenting' one another on how 'hot' we looked b/c the night elves were built from the ground up to be pure sex.
Jeez, way to contribute to rape culture... gender traitor :snooty: