You is all a bunch of poofs!

Brive1987
.
.
Posts: 16996
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:16 am
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#9541

Post by Brive1987 »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote: I won't say where, but I stumbled upon another forum recently, and my eye was drawn by a very familiar style of photoshopped image. Yes, Pitizen Ape+Lust is doing his thing elsewhere. He goes by a different name, but his work is drawing amazed gasps over there just as it used to do here...and who knows where else before the Pit.

God bless you, Ape, you're a wonderful person.
If he is drawing SJWs he’s a traitor to the ‘pit.
If he isn’t he’s a mercenary without principle.

Lose lose I’m afraid.

But best of luck Ape.

With your new friends.

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead
Posts: 4166
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:08 am
Location: Lurking in a dumpster
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#9542

Post by Bhurzum »

Think I've posted his stuff before.

Simply amazing.


Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead
Posts: 4166
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:08 am
Location: Lurking in a dumpster
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#9543

Post by Bhurzum »

David Silverman weighs in on the Jonny Depp/Amber Heard fiasco...



:popcorn:

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit
Posts: 10819
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:58 pm
Location: Punggye-ri
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#9544

Post by Lsuoma »

So, police trying to go hot and heavy on someone expressing an opinion on Twatter get a smack down in the courts.



Ex-cozzer makes a humorous comment ("I was assigned mammal at birth, but my orientation is fish. Don't mis-species me."), trannies whine about hate, and police end up at his work place claiming a non-crime hate incident. There is no doubt in my mind that this was intimidation.
Harry Miller was visited by Humberside Police at work in January last year after a complaint about his tweets.

He was told he had not committed a crime, but it would be recorded as a non-crime "hate incident".

The court found the force's actions were a "disproportionate interference" with his right to freedom of expression.

Officers visited Mr Miller's workplace and then spoke with him on the phone, and he was left with the impression "that he might be prosecuted if he continued to tweet", according to a judge.

Speaking after the ruling, Mr Miller, from Lincolnshire, said: "This is a watershed moment for liberty - the police were wrong to visit my workplace, wrong to 'check my thinking'."

His solicitor Paul Conrathe added: "It is a strong warning to local police forces not to interfere with people's free speech rights on matters of significant controversy.
"

Is some sanity returning to the UK, or is this just a blip?

(Is this a plus side of Brexit? :think: :think: )

Matt Cavanaugh
.
.
Posts: 12868
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:38 pm
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#9545

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Sports Illustrated's "most diverse evah" swimsuit issue:

https://swimsuit.si.com/swim-daily/2020 ... six-models

50% black
50% white
0% any of the other races/ethnicities on the planet

Also includes one morbidly obese model, a baldy, and a fairly hawt 57-year-old. Still, no vitiligo this year, no burkinis, and when will SI truly diversify with achondroplasia and downs syndrome models?!!!

Service Dog
.
.
Posts: 4968
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:52 pm
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#9546

Post by Service Dog »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: no burkinis
Naw, the burkini is back. https://swimsuit.si.com/swim-daily/2020 ... del-reveal

Whut about Yanivs and Muscatos, I say?

Brive1987
.
.
Posts: 16996
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:16 am
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#9547

Post by Brive1987 »

In April 2019 I was not particularly happy. So I set myself a challenge.

My vision was to achieve improved personal satisfaction verging on happiness. My strategy was to reassert control by achieving 4 measurable goals over a fixed period of 12 months.

1. Plan to quit work on my terms and take a minimum of 3 months off over spring/summer.
2. Finish my MA research to my satisfaction and achieve a strong independently assessed grade.
3. Get a job I actually enjoyed with sane people around me. Or fuck off overseas.
4. Get healthy, with KPIs of dropping from 89kg to 69kg (BMI based metric) and embracing daily exercise.

Today, with a weird blip (but whatever) I can finally say “mission accomplished” to all 4. :dance:

I don’t know about tomorrow. But today is a good day.

https://i.imgur.com/ACay3fX.jpg

Service Dog
.
.
Posts: 4968
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:52 pm
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#9548

Post by Service Dog »

Very cool. Congrats.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
.
.
Posts: 11875
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:56 pm
Location: Nice, France
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#9549

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

We cremated my brother today. One of the longest mornings of my life. I think I've lost enough weight to call bullshit on Brive's diet.

Brive1987
.
.
Posts: 16996
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:16 am
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#9550

Post by Brive1987 »

Per my previous comment, I am sorry for your loss

Matt Cavanaugh
.
.
Posts: 12868
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:38 pm
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#9551

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Bhurzum wrote: David Silverman weighs in on the Jonny Depp/Amber Heard fiasco...



:popcorn:
He's just hoping to score with Amber.

Matt Cavanaugh
.
.
Posts: 12868
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:38 pm
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#9552

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Bhurzum wrote: I've been busy watching oddball movies post-lighthouse.
Try

November

Matt Cavanaugh
.
.
Posts: 12868
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:38 pm
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#9553

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Bhurzum wrote: "Office Bird" on twitter, a 'pit-lurker, has asked me to say "hi" to you lot.



Message passed.

(Hi, Office Bird!)
AL has had about a thousand nyms. Before I got banned from everywhere, it was a hoot to realize who I was trading comments with.

chiama mi, tesoro

Brive1987
.
.
Posts: 16996
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:16 am
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#9554

Post by Brive1987 »

Weird. I’ve been looked up Type 2 diabetes (for a friend) and it appears “we” don’t actually know what causes it.

Sure there are clear, but general correlations. Being over weight. Being lazy. Having bad genes from mummy. Being stressed (cortisol). Not sleeping properly. Visceral fat. Lots of chicken and the egg flags.

And the mechanism, once in place, is clear. A broken down pancreas that’s had to brute force glucose into increasingly intolerant cells with progressive over-doses of increasingly ineffective insulin.

But the exact dynamic bridging the general indicators to the deliverable is frustratingly elusive.

Hmmm.

From what I

Brive1987
.
.
Posts: 16996
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:16 am
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#9555

Post by Brive1987 »

.. can see online there are two engaged camps. There is a hand waving crowd blaming carbs for too much glucose causing spikes and carb-crashes with stead consumption of hyper processed food keeping the insulin flow a constant. The alt right here are the carnivore, animal only, never-carb dieters

But their canon is “just a theory”. Supported nonetheless by the West’s obvious fucked up diet and food deserts. “Edible food like substances”. AKA: Doritos.

Then you have the pro-carb people with a hard vegan woke-wing. They are generally anti fat and call out the anti-carbers as tin foil wearing eco-Nazis.

It’s a whole new battlefield.

Brive1987
.
.
Posts: 16996
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:16 am
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#9556

Post by Brive1987 »

Ummmmm Well done. You only had one shot, that pig wasn’t coming for a pat.


Brive1987
.
.
Posts: 16996
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:16 am
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#9557

Post by Brive1987 »

Here is a typical voice from Nuremberg.



Brive1987
.
.
Posts: 16996
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:16 am
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#9558

Post by Brive1987 »

The woke wobbles on.


Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead
Posts: 4166
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:08 am
Location: Lurking in a dumpster
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#9559

Post by Bhurzum »

Will do.

Matt Cavanaugh
.
.
Posts: 12868
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:38 pm
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#9560

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Looks like Bernie got pranked by Russian comedians pretending to be Greta Thunberg and her dad:




That is definitely Bernie. The pranksters sound too Russian, but still he fell for it. Kate McKinnon does a much better Greta:


free thoughtpolice
.
.
Posts: 10637
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:27 pm
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#9561

Post by free thoughtpolice »

A day in the life of a Vancouver Island arborist. He's a limey that apparently was inspired by the Python's Lumberjack Song to move to BC and chop down mighty trees. Maybe some of the Brits here might place his accent. A Scouser maybe?

screwtape
.
.
Posts: 2484
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:15 am
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#9562

Post by screwtape »

This may be a long one, but one has to shoot when one has the ammo:
Lsuoma wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:30 am
Is some sanity returning to the UK, or is this just a blip?
Blip. You know it. Poor devil will be on the hit list for his local police for decades. If he tries to drive under the speed limit they will get him for "failure to make normal progress" (yes, it really exists!)
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Sports Illustrated's "most diverse evah" swimsuit issue:
Also includes one morbidly obese model, a baldy, and a fairly hawt 57-year-old. Still, no vitiligo this year, no burkinis, and when will SI truly diversify with achondroplasia and downs syndrome models?!!!
Be careful what you ask for: we will all have to look at it and then we will come after you.
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote: We cremated my brother today. One of the longest mornings of my life. I think I've lost enough weight to call bullshit on Brive's diet.
You get to call all the bullshit you want down on anyone today. We make allowances.
Brive1987 wrote: Weird. I’ve been looked up Type 2 diabetes (for a friend) and it appears “we” don’t actually know what causes it.
Yes "we" do. You need the right (aka wrong) genes, and then excess calories and inadequate exercise. There is no confusion about this in the medical world, although I can see why there might be amongst the amateur dietitians and all the rest of the fat fucks who don't pay attention. A small difference in glucose control allows hyperglycemia to occur. Hyperglycemia kills beta cells in the pancreas. Remaining beta cells compensate by secreting extra insulin, masking the problem for several years, but also accelerating it as extra insulin increases appetite for carbs. When you finally run out of beta cells you get diagnosed, as blood sugars rise beyond normal limits. At this point you may be able to 'cure' yourself with dramatic weight loss and lots of exercise, but you will have to keep up with that regime forever. Otherwise, we have drugs to flog the few remaining beta cells to squeeze out more insulin, drugs to slow glucose absorption, and exogenous insulin. Pick your parents well, because you can't change the genes they give you.
Brive1987 wrote: Ummmmm Well done. You only had one shot, that pig wasn’t coming for a pat.
My son has come home for a month. I've spent the day introducing him to the external ballistics of the .17 HMR cartridge. Miracles do happen.

That's enough from me.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit
Posts: 10819
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:58 pm
Location: Punggye-ri
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#9563

Post by Lsuoma »

Tell us how metformin works?

Brive1987
.
.
Posts: 16996
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:16 am
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#9564

Post by Brive1987 »

screwtape wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:11 pm
This may be a long one, but one has to shoot when one has the ammo:
Brive1987 wrote: Weird. I’ve been looked up Type 2 diabetes (for a friend) and it appears “we” don’t actually know what causes it.
Yes "we" do. You need the right (aka wrong) genes, and then excess calories and inadequate exercise. There is no confusion about this in the medical world, although I can see why there might be amongst the amateur dietitians and all the rest of the fat fucks who don't pay attention. A small difference in glucose control allows hyperglycemia to occur. Hyperglycemia kills beta cells in the pancreas. Remaining beta cells compensate by secreting extra insulin, masking the problem for several years, but also accelerating it as extra insulin increases appetite for carbs. When you finally run out of beta cells you get diagnosed, as blood sugars rise beyond normal limits. At this point you may be able to 'cure' yourself with dramatic weight loss and lots of exercise, but you will have to keep up with that regime forever. Otherwise, we have drugs to flog the few remaining beta cells to squeeze out more insulin, drugs to slow glucose absorption, and exogenous insulin. Pick your parents well, because you can't change the genes they give you.

Interesting. And thank you.

It’s weird that apparently non amateur organisations perpetuate the myth of confusion.

https://i.imgur.com/LNZgOu0.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/kGGxsny.jpg


After reading up I tried to summarise IR and eventual T2D into Brive-speak. Less technical but is it accurate?

So insulin normally tells cells to ‘open’ and accept necessary energy/cell fuel from blood glucose.

But, the onset of insulin resistance makes the cells resistant to insulin’s efforts and they don’t accept enough glucose. This then requires higher insulin doses to achieve a partial brute-force outcome. This dynamic in turn raises insulin levels and keeps resting or fasting blood sugar high with more glucose getting stored as fat rather than expended as energy. The cells, however, think they are starving and demand more food - you eat and the cycle repeats.

Eventually the brute force secretion of excess insulin wears the pancreas out. Insulin production fails and you are fucked with T2D.

Brive1987
.
.
Posts: 16996
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:16 am
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#9565

Post by Brive1987 »

Gosh. Back in my day we thought peak computing power was epitomised by pong.


Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead
Posts: 4166
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:08 am
Location: Lurking in a dumpster
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#9566

Post by Bhurzum »

free thoughtpolice wrote: A day in the life of a Vancouver Island arborist. He's a limey that apparently was inspired by the Python's Lumberjack Song to move to BC and chop down mighty trees.

I'll file this under "Fuck that for a game of soldiers!"

When he took the top off the tree, my arsehole was chewing a toffee. Nope, not for me, chef - I'm full.
free thoughtpolice wrote: Maybe some of the Brits here might place his accent. A Scouser maybe?
It's quite hard to place although I'm not picking up any hints of scouser. Subtle hints of Yorkshire in the way he pronounces certain words but not enough to be sure. Maybe an English 'pitter will have a better idea?

MarcusAu
.
.
Posts: 7275
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:49 am
Location: Llareggub
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#9567

Post by MarcusAu »

I'm not completely sure - but he could be a Coppicer.

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead
Posts: 4166
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:08 am
Location: Lurking in a dumpster
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#9568

Post by Bhurzum »

Well, I just finished watching November - absolutely loved it! The story, suitably nutty, was very enjoyable (and well acted) but for me, the real selling point was the cinematography! Almost every shot is like a work of art; I could easily see framed stills being used to decorate an artsy-fartsy home. I particularly liked the stark, almost bleached, black & white scenes that hyper-focus the eye center-screen.

https://www.framerated.co.uk/frwpconten ... 70x658.jpg

Oh, and apart from selling my soul to the devil, I want to make a few Kratts. The poor snowman-kratt - I felt really sorry for him/it.

Anyway, top movie, thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to snaffle the DVD and add it to my collection.

(I'll also be wearing my pants on my head until this corona business blows over!)

ConcentratedH2O, OM
.
.
Posts: 6555
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:51 pm
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#9569

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Bhurzum wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote: Maybe some of the Brits here might place his accent. A Scouser maybe?
It's quite hard to place although I'm not picking up any hints of scouser. Subtle hints of Yorkshire in the way he pronounces certain words but not enough to be sure. Maybe an English 'pitter will have a better idea?
I would place it as Manchester, modified by some years in North America. Turns out he also spent some time in the antipodean penal colony to further confound matters: http://www.rctree.ca/about/

Brive1987
.
.
Posts: 16996
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:16 am
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#9570

Post by Brive1987 »

Dr Dude has an interesting take.


ConcentratedH2O, OM
.
.
Posts: 6555
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:51 pm
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#9571

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
Bhurzum wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote: Maybe some of the Brits here might place his accent. A Scouser maybe?
It's quite hard to place although I'm not picking up any hints of scouser. Subtle hints of Yorkshire in the way he pronounces certain words but not enough to be sure. Maybe an English 'pitter will have a better idea?
I would place it as Manchester, modified by some years in North America. Turns out he also spent some time in the antipodean penal colony to further confound matters: http://www.rctree.ca/about/
I listened again, and I might say Lancashire rather than Manchester. But this guy has lived in multiple other countries which I think is making it difficult to easily tell. Perhaps Bhurzum is right wit Yorkshire, he certainly is with his toffe-chewing arsehole. What a way to make a living *shivers*

screwtape
.
.
Posts: 2484
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:15 am
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#9572

Post by screwtape »

Brive1987 wrote: After reading up I tried to summarise IR and eventual T2D into Brive-speak. Less technical but is it accurate?

So insulin normally tells cells to ‘open’ and accept necessary energy/cell fuel from blood glucose.

But, the onset of insulin resistance makes the cells resistant to insulin’s efforts and they don’t accept enough glucose. This then requires higher insulin doses to achieve a partial brute-force outcome. This dynamic in turn raises insulin levels and keeps resting or fasting blood sugar high with more glucose getting stored as fat rather than expended as energy. The cells, however, think they are starving and demand more food - you eat and the cycle repeats.

Eventually the brute force secretion of excess insulin wears the pancreas out. Insulin production fails and you are fucked with T2D.
Yes, insulin is required to allow glucose in the blood enter cells. Resistance simply means you need more insulin to have the same effect. As resistance develops, more insulin is needed, while at the same time the higher glucose levels are slowly killing off the pancreatic cells that make insulin. We know insulin resistance is heritable, and that it is expressed when one becomes overweight; you can come from a family of Type 2 diabetics and avoid it by staying thin and exercising a lot. It's obvious from the mechanism above that type 2 DM is a condition that progresses (diet-control, then diet + metformin, then diet + metformin + sulfonylurea, then diet + insulin), but the important thing to understand is that good control slows the progression as you keep your beta cells alive for longer if they aren't exposed to high blood sugars. Making the effort to do it right when the disease is mild is therefore very important, as it will do you more good in the long run than being obsessional about it at a later stage.

Metformin is interesting, as it has several mechanisms of action, and they aren't well understood. It does not squeeze out extra insulin from the pancreas (like sulfonylureas and their descendants) so it rarely causes hypoglycemia when used alone. The main effect seems to be on the liver's control of the short term storage and dispensation of glucose. Glucose is stored as glycogen in the liver, as a ready-use locker - a few molecules can be snipped off the chain and secreted into the blood when needed to keep the blood sugar at adequate levels when exercising or between meals. This is called gluconeogenesis. Metformin was felt to increase uptake of sugar into the liver, and to slow it's release later on. If, through insulin resistance, you have higher blood sugars the flip side of the coin is that sugar is stuff that ought to be intracellular. So the cells are short on glucose for energy and they don't like it. They signal the liver to release more glucose, raising the blood sugar but not doing them much good because that sugar still can't enter the cells. Type 2 diabetics have a lot more gluconeogenesis going on than non-diabetics as a result, and metformin interferes with this. It is also felt to interfere with the signalling by inhibiting production of glucagon, a hormone that raises blood glucose, and to reverse the insulin-insensitivity of some tissues to a small degree. An old, cheap, safe drug (more so than phenformin, which I'm old enough to remember). Should be in the water supply of fat western countries.

screwtape
.
.
Posts: 2484
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:15 am
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#9573

Post by screwtape »

free thoughtpolice wrote: A day in the life of a Vancouver Island arborist. He's a limey that apparently was inspired by the Python's Lumberjack Song to move to BC and chop down mighty trees. Maybe some of the Brits here might place his accent. A Scouser maybe?
Midlands for sure. Not Mancunian or Brummie, and certainly not a scouser. Northants, Leics, Staffs or even Cheshire.

ConcentratedH2O, OM
.
.
Posts: 6555
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:51 pm
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#9574

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

screwtape wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote: A day in the life of a Vancouver Island arborist. He's a limey that apparently was inspired by the Python's Lumberjack Song to move to BC and chop down mighty trees. Maybe some of the Brits here might place his accent. A Scouser maybe?
Midlands for sure. Not Mancunian or Brummie, and certainly not a scouser. Northants, Leics, Staffs or even Cheshire.
Strongly disagree. There's stuff at 6:54 which is very Manc IMHO.

katamari Damassi
.
.
Posts: 5426
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:32 am
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#9575

Post by katamari Damassi »

screwtape wrote:
Brive1987 wrote: After reading up I tried to summarise IR and eventual T2D into Brive-speak. Less technical but is it accurate?

So insulin normally tells cells to ‘open’ and accept necessary energy/cell fuel from blood glucose.

But, the onset of insulin resistance makes the cells resistant to insulin’s efforts and they don’t accept enough glucose. This then requires higher insulin doses to achieve a partial brute-force outcome. This dynamic in turn raises insulin levels and keeps resting or fasting blood sugar high with more glucose getting stored as fat rather than expended as energy. The cells, however, think they are starving and demand more food - you eat and the cycle repeats.

Eventually the brute force secretion of excess insulin wears the pancreas out. Insulin production fails and you are fucked with T2D.
Yes, insulin is required to allow glucose in the blood enter cells. Resistance simply means you need more insulin to have the same effect. As resistance develops, more insulin is needed, while at the same time the higher glucose levels are slowly killing off the pancreatic cells that make insulin. We know insulin resistance is heritable, and that it is expressed when one becomes overweight; you can come from a family of Type 2 diabetics and avoid it by staying thin and exercising a lot. It's obvious from the mechanism above that type 2 DM is a condition that progresses (diet-control, then diet + metformin, then diet + metformin + sulfonylurea, then diet + insulin), but the important thing to understand is that good control slows the progression as you keep your beta cells alive for longer if they aren't exposed to high blood sugars. Making the effort to do it right when the disease is mild is therefore very important, as it will do you more good in the long run than being obsessional about it at a later stage.

Metformin is interesting, as it has several mechanisms of action, and they aren't well understood. It does not squeeze out extra insulin from the pancreas (like sulfonylureas and their descendants) so it rarely causes hypoglycemia when used alone. The main effect seems to be on the liver's control of the short term storage and dispensation of glucose. Glucose is stored as glycogen in the liver, as a ready-use locker - a few molecules can be snipped off the chain and secreted into the blood when needed to keep the blood sugar at adequate levels when exercising or between meals. This is called gluconeogenesis. Metformin was felt to increase uptake of sugar into the liver, and to slow it's release later on. If, through insulin resistance, you have higher blood sugars the flip side of the coin is that sugar is stuff that ought to be intracellular. So the cells are short on glucose for energy and they don't like it. They signal the liver to release more glucose, raising the blood sugar but not doing them much good because that sugar still can't enter the cells. Type 2 diabetics have a lot more gluconeogenesis going on than non-diabetics as a result, and metformin interferes with this. It is also felt to interfere with the signalling by inhibiting production of glucagon, a hormone that raises blood glucose, and to reverse the insulin-insensitivity of some tissues to a small degree. An old, cheap, safe drug (more so than phenformin, which I'm old enough to remember). Should be in the water supply of fat western countries.
Metformin is big with the life extension set. I don't know why.

ConcentratedH2O, OM
.
.
Posts: 6555
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:51 pm
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#9576

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Metformin is big with the life extension set. I don't know why.
[/quote]

Perhaps because as screwtape said its mechanism(s) of action are not clear, and so the fruits and nuts over in Palo Alto can make whatever claims they want for it. I believe there have been some experiments done on metformin in cell culture which add to its mystique while having no serious relevance to human bodies.

Matt Cavanaugh
.
.
Posts: 12868
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:38 pm
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#9577

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Bhurzum wrote: The poor snowman-kratt - I felt really sorry for him/it.
The snowman kratt was bittersweet.
(I'll also be wearing my pants on my head until this corona business blows over!)
Better safe than sorry.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit
Posts: 10819
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:58 pm
Location: Punggye-ri
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#9578

Post by Lsuoma »

screwtape wrote:
Brive1987 wrote: After reading up I tried to summarise IR and eventual T2D into Brive-speak. Less technical but is it accurate?

So insulin normally tells cells to ‘open’ and accept necessary energy/cell fuel from blood glucose.

But, the onset of insulin resistance makes the cells resistant to insulin’s efforts and they don’t accept enough glucose. This then requires higher insulin doses to achieve a partial brute-force outcome. This dynamic in turn raises insulin levels and keeps resting or fasting blood sugar high with more glucose getting stored as fat rather than expended as energy. The cells, however, think they are starving and demand more food - you eat and the cycle repeats.

Eventually the brute force secretion of excess insulin wears the pancreas out. Insulin production fails and you are fucked with T2D.
Yes, insulin is required to allow glucose in the blood enter cells. Resistance simply means you need more insulin to have the same effect. As resistance develops, more insulin is needed, while at the same time the higher glucose levels are slowly killing off the pancreatic cells that make insulin. We know insulin resistance is heritable, and that it is expressed when one becomes overweight; you can come from a family of Type 2 diabetics and avoid it by staying thin and exercising a lot. It's obvious from the mechanism above that type 2 DM is a condition that progresses (diet-control, then diet + metformin, then diet + metformin + sulfonylurea, then diet + insulin), but the important thing to understand is that good control slows the progression as you keep your beta cells alive for longer if they aren't exposed to high blood sugars. Making the effort to do it right when the disease is mild is therefore very important, as it will do you more good in the long run than being obsessional about it at a later stage.

Metformin is interesting, as it has several mechanisms of action, and they aren't well understood. It does not squeeze out extra insulin from the pancreas (like sulfonylureas and their descendants) so it rarely causes hypoglycemia when used alone. The main effect seems to be on the liver's control of the short term storage and dispensation of glucose. Glucose is stored as glycogen in the liver, as a ready-use locker - a few molecules can be snipped off the chain and secreted into the blood when needed to keep the blood sugar at adequate levels when exercising or between meals. This is called gluconeogenesis. Metformin was felt to increase uptake of sugar into the liver, and to slow it's release later on. If, through insulin resistance, you have higher blood sugars the flip side of the coin is that sugar is stuff that ought to be intracellular. So the cells are short on glucose for energy and they don't like it. They signal the liver to release more glucose, raising the blood sugar but not doing them much good because that sugar still can't enter the cells. Type 2 diabetics have a lot more gluconeogenesis going on than non-diabetics as a result, and metformin interferes with this. It is also felt to interfere with the signalling by inhibiting production of glucagon, a hormone that raises blood glucose, and to reverse the insulin-insensitivity of some tissues to a small degree. An old, cheap, safe drug (more so than phenformin, which I'm old enough to remember). Should be in the water supply of fat western countries.
Thanks - as a hippo, my PCP has me on this, and in the last three months my glucose and A1c have gone down noticeably, so I've dropped out of pre-diabetes ranges for both.

One thing I noticed, though, is that the bottle says to wear a notification that I'm taking it - what are the potentially catastrophic interactions I might want to be aware of?

screwtape
.
.
Posts: 2484
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:15 am
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#9579

Post by screwtape »

Lsuoma wrote: One thing I noticed, though, is that the bottle says to wear a notification that I'm taking it - what are the potentially catastrophic interactions I might want to be aware of?
I can't remember any at all. Obviously, one could make some up with other anti-diabetic agents (take metformin with glyburide and you might get hypoglycemia - duh! Rather obvious.) Really, I can't think of any at all other than synergising with other drugs for diabetes.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit
Posts: 10819
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:58 pm
Location: Punggye-ri
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#9580

Post by Lsuoma »

Whoa, Nellie!


Matt Cavanaugh
.
.
Posts: 12868
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:38 pm
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#9581

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Bhurzum wrote: for me, the real selling point was the cinematography!
Here's another:

Midsommar

Story is predictable; the filmmakers admit it, but concentrated on how they wanted to tell that story [horror flic as allegory for a relationship break-up]. IMO, cinematography is incredible, especially a couple of scenes that blew me away.

Brive1987
.
.
Posts: 16996
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:16 am
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#9582

Post by Brive1987 »

screwtape wrote:
Brive1987 wrote: After reading up I tried to summarise IR and eventual T2D into Brive-speak. Less technical but is it accurate?

So insulin normally tells cells to ‘open’ and accept necessary energy/cell fuel from blood glucose.

But, the onset of insulin resistance makes the cells resistant to insulin’s efforts and they don’t accept enough glucose. This then requires higher insulin doses to achieve a partial brute-force outcome. This dynamic in turn raises insulin levels and keeps resting or fasting blood sugar high with more glucose getting stored as fat rather than expended as energy. The cells, however, think they are starving and demand more food - you eat and the cycle repeats.

Eventually the brute force secretion of excess insulin wears the pancreas out. Insulin production fails and you are fucked with T2D.
Yes, insulin is required to allow glucose in the blood enter cells. Resistance simply means you need more insulin to have the same effect. As resistance develops, more insulin is needed, while at the same time the higher glucose levels are slowly killing off the pancreatic cells that make insulin. We know insulin resistance is heritable, and that it is expressed when one becomes overweight; you can come from a family of Type 2 diabetics and avoid it by staying thin and exercising a lot. It's obvious from the mechanism above that type 2 DM is a condition that progresses (diet-control, then diet + metformin, then diet + metformin + sulfonylurea, then diet + insulin), but the important thing to understand is that good control slows the progression as you keep your beta cells alive for longer if they aren't exposed to high blood sugars. Making the effort to do it right when the disease is mild is therefore very important, as it will do you more good in the long run than being obsessional about it at a later stage.
Thanks. Do you reckon you can develop T2D without the inherited ... whatever? Has the gene(?) been identified such it can be tested for?

KiwiInOz
.
.
Posts: 5057
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:28 pm
Location: Brisbane
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#9583

Post by KiwiInOz »

Lsuoma wrote: Whoa, Nellie!

Is that one of them newfangled hoverplanes?

Brive1987
.
.
Posts: 16996
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:16 am
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#9584

Post by Brive1987 »

PZ seeks some instant ‘Texas Tea’

Riveting stuff.




screwtape
.
.
Posts: 2484
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:15 am
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#9585

Post by screwtape »

Brive1987 wrote: Thanks. Do you reckon you can develop T2D without the inherited ... whatever? Has the gene(?) been identified such it can be tested for?
It's probably polygenic, so it might be possible to have a milder or stronger tendency to insulin resistance, but there are enough fatties around with perfect blood sugars to show it's not inevitable. I think if you have the 'good' alleles of all the genes involved you won't get type 2 DM however hard you try. A few genes have been identified, and those can be tested for in a research setting if you want to do a full genotype. I'm not aware of any single gene tests available for clinical use, and given there are many genes not much point in testing for just one. But there are a few tricks - we know roughly where these genes live, given that they are often associated with genetic fellow travellers that ride just next door on the same chromosome. So we have some unrelated markers that if present mean you are much more likely to have the insulin-resistance genes. These include alcohol-related flushing (face goes red when you drink booze), acanthosis nigricans, necrobiosis lipoidica and excessive skin tag growth (may be part of acanthosis nigricans). If you have those you are very likely indeed to be carrying the genes for type 2 DM.
acanthosis nigricans.jpeg
(34.95 KiB) Downloaded 225 times
necrobiosis lipoidica.jpeg
(35.92 KiB) Downloaded 225 times
skin tags.jpeg
(102.49 KiB) Downloaded 223 times

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit
Posts: 10819
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:58 pm
Location: Punggye-ri
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#9586

Post by Lsuoma »

RIP Holden, eh Brivo?

Brive1987
.
.
Posts: 16996
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:16 am
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#9587

Post by Brive1987 »

Lsuoma wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:45 am
RIP Holden, eh Brivo?
It’s been a death of thousand cuts. I think Holden went GM in the 1930s. Then the bottom fell out of the big car market in the 2000s with the take-up of SUVs. Local production stopped in 2017 after an announcement a few years prior. Now the foreign badged ring-ins are disappearing.

Vale. Its been a while since Dad took us on driving summer holidays to Cooee Bay, Yeppoon in the Statesman. We had family in Rockhampton. Funny how a smaller population supported a successful local car industry before globalism brought its benefits.


Brive1987
.
.
Posts: 16996
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:16 am
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#9588

Post by Brive1987 »

screwtape wrote:
Brive1987 wrote: Thanks. Do you reckon you can develop T2D without the inherited ... whatever? Has the gene(?) been identified such it can be tested for?
It's probably polygenic, so it might be possible to have a milder or stronger tendency to insulin resistance, but there are enough fatties around with perfect blood sugars to show it's not inevitable. I think if you have the 'good' alleles of all the genes involved you won't get type 2 DM however hard you try. A few genes have been identified, and those can be tested for in a research setting if you want to do a full genotype. I'm not aware of any single gene tests available for clinical use, and given there are many genes not much point in testing for just one. But there are a few tricks - we know roughly where these genes live, given that they are often associated with genetic fellow travellers that ride just next door on the same chromosome. So we have some unrelated markers that if present mean you are much more likely to have the insulin-resistance genes. These include alcohol-related flushing (face goes red when you drink booze), acanthosis nigricans, necrobiosis lipoidica and excessive skin tag growth (may be part of acanthosis nigricans). If you have those you are very likely indeed to be carrying the genes for type 2 DM.

acanthosis nigricans.jpeg

necrobiosis lipoidica.jpeg

skin tags.jpeg
screwtape wrote: acanthosis nigricans
Ah. So the ‘narrative’ would be:

“maybe 60% or more of the population has the gun loaded on them. And the SAD / food desert / economic barrier / exercise paradigm eventually pulls the trigger on this large subset with increasing, near certain, frequency.”

And if so, it’s the specific causal weighing of the trigger events which brings on the apparent “we don’t know ...” confusion.

Brive1987
.
.
Posts: 16996
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:16 am
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#9589

Post by Brive1987 »

That Holden advert shows a very different Australia in more ways than one.

:think:

Brive1987
.
.
Posts: 16996
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:16 am
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#9590

Post by Brive1987 »

You probably don’t really need more than say 6700-7500 kJ a day. This can be comfortably delivered with two fairly substantial whole food meals and no snacks.

My lunch costs $7 for 2900 kJ with 5 foods and 25g of mayo. $2.50 of that is 45grams of smoked salmon. Dinner no more than $15. I spend what would otherwise be TV time prepping lunches on Sunday. No excuses. Protein, egg and salad based dinners take fuck all time to cook in you pre organise the ingredients.

If you are legitimately below $25 a day food allowance, you have more immediately existential problems than diet. Families need to embrace economies of scale. Yep. The job description includes “effective planning”.

At an individual level, the problem for any but the most feeble of people is the lack of education. And more importantly, a lack of self control, determination and above all, organisation. Given the processed food forces in play, not much you can do about the latter.

However the victim narrative around obesity is enablement.

Brive1987
.
.
Posts: 16996
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:16 am
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#9591

Post by Brive1987 »

Put more succinctly.


Service Dog
.
.
Posts: 4968
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:52 pm
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#9592

Post by Service Dog »

democrat lulcowz


free thoughtpolice
.
.
Posts: 10637
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:27 pm
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#9593

Post by free thoughtpolice »

President Bernie Huckabee Sanders, VP Alexanda Occasio-Cortez, Press secretary Rachel Maddow, Attorney -General Hunter Biden.
It'll be payback time, look out Trumpistas. :twisted:

ConcentratedH2O, OM
.
.
Posts: 6555
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:51 pm
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#9594

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Brive1987 wrote:
If you are legitimately below $25 a day food allowance, you have more immediately existential problems than diet.
$25 a day on food? Are you sprinkling gold dust on your cornflakes?

Brive1987
.
.
Posts: 16996
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:16 am
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#9595

Post by Brive1987 »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:
If you are legitimately below $25 a day food allowance, you have more immediately existential problems than diet.
$25 a day on food? Are you sprinkling gold dust on your cornflakes?
What’s your budget granddad? :)

https://i.imgur.com/mWVWlKW.jpg


I reckon $7 lunch.
Say $8 for a reasonable steak at dinner.
$1 yogurt.
$5 for eggs, almond milk, cheese, lemon, butter, coffee, berries etc.

So maybe a bit off. And you could always go pork or mince, but I’d try and pack a punch with the beef. In any case, you get my drift. <8000kJ whole food need not cost the arm or the leg you’d otherwise lose to diabetes.

Keating
.
.
Posts: 2037
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:18 pm
Location: South of anteater guy
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#9596

Post by Keating »

Those are Aussie dollars, so only worth 60% of a US dollar.

ConcentratedH2O, OM
.
.
Posts: 6555
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:51 pm
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#9597

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Brive1987 wrote:
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:
If you are legitimately below $25 a day food allowance, you have more immediately existential problems than diet.
$25 a day on food? Are you sprinkling gold dust on your cornflakes?
What’s your budget granddad? :)

I reckon $7 lunch.
Say $8 for a reasonable steak at dinner.
$1 yogurt.
$5 for eggs, almond milk, cheese, lemon, butter, coffee, berries etc.

So maybe a bit off. And you could always go pork or mince, but I’d try and pack a punch with the beef. In any case, you get my drift. <8000kJ whole food need not cost the arm or the leg you’d otherwise lose to diabetes.
Ah yeah, I did forget that for you it's steak and other artisanal proteins all the way these days, Croseus. That certainly seems like an expensive way to eat, but at least it will save your limbs from the ravages of diabetes as you say. However, you can have eight arms and fourteen legs, but they won't be of much use if all that fat dams up your brain, and one night your motor centers sit choking for oxygen for an hour or two.

Brive1987
.
.
Posts: 16996
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:16 am
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#9598

Post by Brive1987 »

Indeed. However I’m restricted by a long standing hatred of salad and vegetables when faced by the challenge of satiating moderate kJ meals.

I am hoping the current ambiguity over HDL vs LDL and large / small LDL plays in my favour. Plus the argument that any correlation of CVD and meat
is driven by your “typical” meat eater being a boozing, smoking health maverick.

screwtape
.
.
Posts: 2484
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:15 am
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#9599

Post by screwtape »

Eat right, die anyway.

I once read - I wish I knew where - that if you do everything 'right' (as we understand it - don't smoke, drink moderately, exercise, watch your weight, eat whatever diet is considered correct, don't pick your nose, separate the coloureds from the whites in the laundry etc etc) you will, on average, increase your lifespan by two years. And have a 70% chance of spending your extra two years in a nursing home.

Brive1987
.
.
Posts: 16996
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:16 am
Contact:

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

#9600

Post by Brive1987 »

So. KFC it is.

There is no health dividend.

Post Reply