You is all a bunch of poofs!

Old subthreads
Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

Post by Bhurzum »

Brive1987 wrote: Christmas fun with the son.

Desperate fighting on the Vistula line for nearly five months ...
Actual military map-marking symbols!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO_Join ... _Symbology

That's pretty fucking awesome right there. I used to teach map-marking at R.D. (nerd alert!) and used it on a daily basis at BG HQ and in the field. No idea why I'm surprised to see it, of course a wargame would use it.

Looks like fun!

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

John D wrote: aka.... a woman who takes testosterone gets artificially inseminated by a man who take estrogen... the child is expected to be perfectly normal....
Sounds like you need a basic biology lesson - a boy has* a vagina and a girl has* a penis.

Bigot!

* Possibly, maybe, it all depends upon where they sit on the spectrum, how they identify and/or the phase of the moon.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Bhurzum wrote:
Brive1987 wrote: Christmas fun with the son.

Desperate fighting on the Vistula line for nearly five months ...
Actual military map-marking symbols!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO_Join ... _Symbology

That's pretty fucking awesome right there. I used to teach map-marking at R.D. (nerd alert!) and used it on a daily basis at BG HQ and in the field. No idea why I'm surprised to see it, of course a wargame would use it.

Looks like fun!
Russian Campaign. I’ve played different editions since 1980 ....

Great game. The combination of variable double impulse movement/combat, weather, Russian replacement and simple AirPower makes for an experience nicely mimicking history.

The Germans need to play well, exploit Russian mistakes and get a bit of luck to have a chance.

Failing that, the Germans can keep punching with diminishing consequence until eventually they punch no more. Then it’s a question of delaying the slow, clumsy but powerful Russian steamroller to try and run the clock down.

Lots of optional rules and add-ons.

https://i.imgur.com/Rs4CpKG.jpg

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

I give the optional “silhouette” counters a big miss.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

The only wargame worth playing is Panzer Pranks.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Lsuoma wrote: The only wargame worth playing is Panzer Pranks.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... argame.jpg

NeeeEEEEEOOOW!

F'TOOM!

Dakka-dakka-dakka-p'tang!

Die, Xeno scum!

Etc.

(wonder how well the sound effects rule would tanslate to 40K?)

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Bhurzum wrote:

NeeeEEEEEOOOW!

F'TOOM!

Die, Xeno scum!

Etc.

When I was in highschool a friend tried to get me into war gaming-which in retrospect was surprising because we once got into a fist-fight over a game of Risk and then didn't talk for months after that. I don't remember the name of it, but it recreated the battle of the Solomon Islands-where my dad fought as a marine. For hours I punched out little cardboard chits while he read the rules. Then he explains that for me to win as the Japanese, I need to hold out for so many turns before he kills all my men. So, my job was to last slightly longer than the Japanese did in the actual battle. How is this fun, you might ask? It wasn't.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Nearly all war-games suck, because minutia-fapping nerds create them, and all use the same shit-ass mechanics that Avalon-Hill came up with in the early Seventies: Post-war NATO symbol-inscribed chits on ugly hexagon maps, with a D6 roll off an 'odds chart' wiping out entire Corps or Army groups, all managed by insanely long and complicated rule books. Players spend their entire time adding up the little numbers to get over the hump from 2:1 to 3:1 odds. Oh and fucking ZOC -- has anyone ever stopped and wondered whether a military unit actually in real life exerts a 360º halting power?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Yet another (13th in two weeks) violent attack against hasidic jews in New York State, this time with an AR-15 machete:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/29/us/new-y ... index.html

Governor Andrew Cuomo (Fredo's brother), decries it, blaming generic "hatred" that also affects "black, Latino and LGBT communities".

No known motive, yet it's being labeled "domestic terrorism"[/i, so the Gov wants new laws in response.

Took a bit of digging to find anything on the perp, Grafton Thomas or maybe Thomas Grafton, maybe a long rap sheet, maybe just accused of punching a police horse. Definitely not a neo-nazi, though:

[attachment=0]grafton-thomas.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
grafton-thomas.jpg
(17.05 KiB) Downloaded 477 times

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

katamari Damassi wrote:
When I was in highschool a friend tried to get me into war gaming ... How is this fun, you might ask? It wasn't.
In my experience, the fun part is when the wargaming-obsessed kid takes a book off his geriatric dad's shelf-- a little bible autographed by Adolf Hitler, from dad's Hitler Youth days. Then you watch Kevin Costner in No Way Out.

I like greybeard dudes playing wargames at rpg conventions. But the closest I can stand to a war game is Car Wars.

Or-- a starship troopers type rpg called "3:16 Carnage Amongst The Stars".
One of the mechanics is based on the author's early-childhood misunderstanding of D&D rules: the combat mechanic is that you role dice to determine 'how many guys you kill'. That you hit them is a forgone certainty. There's also a mechanic-- when your guy is fucked-- where he can call-on a 'flashback' to some past experience that Just Happens to give him the unique skill to get-out-of whatever fix he's in. Like a bully used to shove you in a dark closet full of bullies, so you can miraculously fight in the dark.
Also-- as I recall-- the map/gameboard just consists of 3 hexes. At the start of each round, each player puts their counter or figurine in the slot for 'hand-to-hand', 'near', or 'far'... and each has an effect on how combat transpires.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Service Dog wrote:
I like greybeard dudes playing wargames at rpg conventions. But the closest I can stand to a war game is Car Wars.

Ah yes,memories. Car Wars was great, as was a Judge Dredd game I remember where you had two towers next to each other to attack and defend...?

Driftless

Post by Driftless »

Never been to Britain, but apparently only young and/or non-white Brits use 4-wheelers and motorbikes:

https://news.sky.com/story/lake-distric ... s-11897034

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote: Ah yes,memories. Car Wars was great, as was a Judge Dredd game I remember where you had two towers next to each other to attack and defend...?
Blockmania. looks great. i didn't know about that

http://blog.metagames.co.uk/wp-content/ ... a-game.jpg

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Nearly all war-games suck, because minutia-fapping nerds create them, and all use the same shit-ass mechanics that Avalon-Hill came up with in the early Seventies: Post-war NATO symbol-inscribed chits on ugly hexagon maps, with a D6 roll off an 'odds chart' wiping out entire Corps or Army groups, all managed by insanely long and complicated rule books. Players spend their entire time adding up the little numbers to get over the hump from 2:1 to 3:1 odds. Oh and fucking ZOC -- has anyone ever stopped and wondered whether a military unit actually in real life exerts a 360º halting power?
The overall combination of game dynamics in Russian Campaign makes the experience rise far above this dystopia.

Drive for Moscow? Take out the Donetz Basin industrial capacity? Try for both? Balance panzer based dashes with the weather based risk of isolation. Deal with lack of combat supply in winter. Dole out merger and diminishing but potentially decisive air power. Offset the growing Russian steamroller with successive river line defences - mindful of timing issues. Juggle the need to hold extended fronts with a mishmash of low quality Eastern European allies ... Be inconvenienced by rail inhibiting partisans, lose units to the Italian Front just when you need them.

You do of course need to balance accuracy with gameplay. If you want more realism try the nightmare of the Europa Series which did the deal at Division and Regimental level.

https://www.nobleknight.com/Products/Europa-GDW

Here you had to calculate the consolidated anti armour capacity of a stack against the armour proportion of the attacker to determine an armour modifier. Fuck me. Ie a predominantly tank vs cavalry clash could be partially offset by adding an AT regiment.

Beer and pretzels will do me fine.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Bhurzum wrote:

NeeeEEEEEOOOW!

F'TOOM!

Die, Xeno scum!

Etc.

I just loaded up the DoW PC series through to Dark Crusade.

I’m enjoying this holiday season.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Brive1987 wrote: I just loaded up the DoW PC series through to Dark Crusade.

I’m enjoying this holiday season.
I have DoW - good game, really like the squad upgrade system.

Two guys I play MMO's with are massive 40K fans (£K's worth of miniatures, frequently attend conventions/tournaments all over the UK) and when they get into arguments over the minutiae of rules or lore, it can be very, very entertaining. Oh, forgot to mention, they're brothers and display all of the bile/vitriol a blood-tie usually brings.

Anyhoo, the pair are constantly trying to lure me into the B.O. reeking world of competitive 40K gaming. I think I'd rather try heroin - it's cheaper.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Service Dog wrote:
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote: Ah yes,memories. Car Wars was great, as was a Judge Dredd game I remember where you had two towers next to each other to attack and defend...?
Blockmania. looks great. i didn't know about that

http://blog.metagames.co.uk/wp-content/ ... a-game.jpg
That's it!! Fun times playing that and Car Wars as a palate cleanser after a long D&D or Cthulhu session.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

From an old friend who was my best man (actually one of two best men - both happened to be Jewish - who were instructed to frog march me in if I lost my nerve) 40 years ago:
So E...a and I have been rather busy for the last 2 years. We volunteered for the Campaign Against Antisemitism due to the significant rise in antisemitism especially since the hard left were welcomed into the Labour Party by Jeremy Corbyn. As you may or may not been aware, the Labour Party has been referred by the CAA and the Jewish Labour Movement to the Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC). This is a non-departmental public body in England and Wales, established by the Equality Act 2006 by Tony Blair’s Labour Party to investigate the far right and racist British National Party. Their role is to challenge discrimination, and to protect and promote human rights. It is ironic that they are investigating the current Labour Party. So whilst all political parties have racists including antisemites, the issue is that the current Labour Party is institutionally racist. IMO and others including journalists and Labour Party members and workers, the evidence is huge and unequivocal.
So E...a and I had to trawl through all social media and find evidence which we did on over 100 Labour Party officials (MPs, councillors, officers). This number way exceeded all the other parties put together. The tweets and FB postings were sickening reiterating all the old tropes found in the Protocols of the Elders of Zion (written by Stalinists based on a 17/18th century book written by a Parisian lawyer about the then King of France) – Rothschild, controlling world banks and media, drinking blood of babies etc etc as well as new tropes using term Zio instead of Jew plus numerous others… and from, as they call themselves, anti-racists. Even religious leaders were making statements including The Chief Rabbi, Archbishop of Canterbury as well as leaders from Hindus, Sikhs and some Muslims. Much of our evidence was used by the lawyers working for the CAA in making the case to the EHRC.
The stress amongst the vast majority of Jews was palpable – 42% saying they would leave the UK if Corbyn became PM -us included.
Why? History tells us that the first step in making any minority a scapegoat is to normalise hate speech. This was what was happening in the Labour Party… over 2000 complaints of antisemitism including bullying, verbal and physical abuse, not allowing Jews to enter Labour Party meetings, saying Jews were lying and making it up or deliberately twisting the truth by blaming Jews for people attacking them…. And Corbyn did nothing for all the time he was leader.
I know this is a long spiel but we were desperately worried so much so that as we had airmiles we took a break just before the election to go to Israel. In part to see where we might want to live but also just to escape the stress of the election.
Our relief was immense when the results came through. We know of BoJo’s tendencies to be partial with the truth but the alternative, for us was so much worse. History has taught us something… not just with Nazis, but also Armenia, Rwanda and indeed Soviet Russia – normalise hate speech, the population will do the rest. We weren’t going to take the risk!
Whilst Corbyn will never be PM, as Churchill said, “Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning”.
Some of the pressure is off but the battle will continue to remove the institutional antisemitism in Labour Party and indeed some Trade Unions (in particular Len McClusky’s Unite plus some others).
So that’s what we have been up to. Very upsetting, time consuming and highly stressful. As we were taught from when we were young, in every generation, you will have to fight antisemitism. Maybe we thought as the Holocaust was still in living memory that we might escape it. We also never would have dreamed it would be the Labour Party, a political party that so many Jews felt not only at home in but also helped to establish in many areas of the UK.
What was heart-warming was that the media, by and large, understood the seriousness and that some many people in Labour areas who had never even met a Jew were appalled by antisemitism and consequently did not vote for Labour. Make no mistake, undoubtably there were other bigger issues for many eg his far left politics inc support for the provisional IRA, terrorists, never finding fault with communist regimes, always attacking UK history etc but enough people also said the antisemitism was a factor too.
42% of Jews planning to flee the UK if Corbyn won? That's appalling. Even if the best that history will say of Boris is that he was better than the alternative, it's still a win.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Car Wars was a hoot. I remember drawing a custom chit for an indigo Mercedes sedan with a Bofors in the trunk. Steve Jackson knew how to keep games neat yet still rich. His One-Page Bulge is a great example.

FYI, spurred by my and Brive's discussions on France 1940, I've been dinking around with a radically different approach to a war-game for that, one which could be applicable to almost any scenario. If I ever finish it, I'll share.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Yet another (13th in two weeks) violent attack against hasidic jews in New York State, this time with an AR-15 machete:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/29/us/new-y ... index.html

Governor Andrew Cuomo (Fredo's brother), decries it, blaming generic "hatred" that also affects "black, Latino and LGBT communities".

No known motive, yet it's being labeled "domestic terrorism"[/i, so the Gov wants new laws in response.

Took a bit of digging to find anything on the perp, Grafton Thomas or maybe Thomas Grafton, maybe a long rap sheet, maybe just accused of punching a police horse. Definitely not a neo-nazi, though:

grafton-thomas.jpg
Definitely not a neo-nazi though

That's what I would have guessed but...
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/30/nyre ... tacks.html

free thoughtpolice

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Neil Innes is dead.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Definitely not a neo-nazi though
That's what I would have guessed but...
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/30/nyre ... tacks.html
I don't have access to the New Woke Times.

NY POST says he's a Black Hebrew Israelite:
Thomas filled several pages in his journals with statements that expressed his affinity with the anti-Semitic “Black Hebrew Israelite” movement....”
https://nypost.com/2019/12/30/monsey-st ... line-feds/

Who googled Hitler:
The journals — which were seized from Thomas’ home following his arrest in Saturday’s bloody rampage — also allegedly contain references to “Adolf Hitler” and “Nazi Culture”....
A search of a cellphone found in Thomas’ car shows he used it to repeatedly search the internet for the phrase “Why did Hitler hate the Jews,”
-- Not the same as being the only darkie member of a White Power org.

And was a schizo off his meds:
The Monsey stabbing suspect is a severe germaphobe who washes his hands “50 times a day” and hears “demons” — and had been off his meds before the attack, his lawyer said Monday.

Thomas “suffers from auditory hallucinations and demons” and had been prescribed at least three medications: the depression-and OCD-battling Prozac, anti-schizophrenic Seroquel and Latuda for bipolar symptoms, said Sussman at a press conference at his Goshen office, with the accused man’s mother with him.

Thomas — who has been mentally ill for “10 to 12 years,” and recently moved back in with his mom after a series of hospitalizations — was not taking his medication “in the weeks leading up to the attack...."
https://nypost.com/2019/12/30/monsey-su ... ck-lawyer/

Now, Dylan Roof was also a schizo off his meds, but it's only the mental illness when the perp is not white.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

1) Why does Islam targets black men and red-haired white men for coversion/radicalization? (Does it? Perhaps I and/or the media is biased to believe/show that?)
2) Is schizophrenia have higher rates in blacks than whites/others?

Anyone got any ideas? Serious questions BTW

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

As we have passed the last Sabbath day of 2019 - here is something to pre-commemorate the New Year...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opCGFmPKiE0

Pointless perhaps - in all likelihood we are all doomed...

free thoughtpolice

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
-- Not the same as being the only darkie member of a White Power org.
You don't have to join a group to share their ideology, I doubt he is a card carrying Black Israelite either.
Regardless, it would seem that mental illness is a driving factor here, no doubt making it easier for nutty ideologies to influence his behavior. It wouldn't be surprising to find that most if not all supporters and members of groups like the neo-nazis and black hebrews have some mental illness, personality disorder, or are just plain stupid.

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

Sulman wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:14 am
And the witch of the week is...*shuffles deck*,,,JK Rowling!
Definitive treatment here:

free thoughtpolice

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote: 1) Why does Islam targets black men and red-haired white men for coversion/radicalization? (Does it? Perhaps I and/or the media is biased to believe/show that?)
2) Is schizophrenia have higher rates in blacks than whites/others?

Anyone got any ideas? Serious questions BTW
1) Whites have lowest rates of schizophrenia, Blacks and latinos are higher and highest is East Asia, although Japan has a comparable rate to whites although they are genetically similar to Chinese.
Thus saith wikipedia.
It's thought that stress factors as well as genetics play a role in the development of schizophrenia as well as other mental illnesses. Mental illness is at epidemic rates in Somalia and likely also in places like Afghanistan but is less well reported.
2) Blacks joining Islam by way of disaffected youth thinking they are "taking it to the man" probably accounts for lots of converts. The ginger thing is strange though. There seems to be an inordinate number of them but maybe that is just because they stand out.
If you can find this book it may give you some insight into one of the nuttiest ginger jihadis of all time:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aukai_Collins

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

Lsuoma wrote: Neil Innes is dead.

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

I guess I was 12 years old in 1969 when my older brother made me aware of the bonzo dog band. I played the tuba.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

I learned about the Bonzos from Urban Spacemen

One of the other talents Neil Innes had was writing Beatles songs - see anything by The Rutles, e.g.,

John D

Post by John D »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Car Wars was a hoot. I remember drawing a custom chit for an indigo Mercedes sedan with a Bofors in the trunk. Steve Jackson knew how to keep games neat yet still rich. His One-Page Bulge is a great example.

FYI, spurred by my and Brive's discussions on France 1940, I've been dinking around with a radically different approach to a war-game for that, one which could be applicable to almost any scenario. If I ever finish it, I'll share.
Car Wars, Ogre, GEV, etc. Played lots of the "Micro Games" by Steve Jackson. Good stuff... tactical and not too complicated.

Ogre inspired my first game "War Rocket" (but, of course, my game is better.... haha).

Tried War Hammer, 40K, etc.... and hated them all. Too complicated and too "aspie"... haha. But, really, each to their own. I can't say any game is "bad" just because I don't like it.

I will be play testing my third game on New Years Day. I have been working on it for two years. I am on version five and it is called "Atomic Tank". Wish me luck.

Here is a picture of one of my Ogre Fencer miniatures. Nuclear Armageddon here we come.
Attachments
Val Jean.jpg
(19.86 KiB) Downloaded 350 times

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

John D wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Car Wars was a hoot. I remember drawing a custom chit for an indigo Mercedes sedan with a Bofors in the trunk. Steve Jackson knew how to keep games neat yet still rich. His One-Page Bulge is a great example.

Car Wars, Ogre, GEV, etc. Played lots of the "Micro Games" by Steve Jackson. Good stuff... tactical and not too complicated.

Ogre inspired my first game "War Rocket" (but, of course, my game is better.... haha).

Tried War Hammer, 40K, etc.... and hated them all. Too complicated and too "aspie"... haha. But, really, each to their own. I can't say any game is "bad" just because I don't like it.

I will be play testing my third game on New Years Day. I have been working on it for two years. I am on version five and it is called "Atomic Tank". Wish me luck.

Here is a picture of one of my Ogre Fencer miniatures. Nuclear Armageddon here we come.
OGRE was da bomb.

Yeah, I was wondering about Atomic Tank. Hey, I'll playtest yours if you playtest mine.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Lsuoma wrote: I learned about the Bonzos from Urban Spacemen

One of the other talents Neil Innes had was writing Beatles songs - see anything by The Rutles, e.g.,

And for those not blessed by being born in the right place at the right time, you'll know Neil Innes as the minstrel singing cheerful songs about their forthcoming deaths. Let's hope he and Viv Stanshall are singing scurrilous songs on their harps.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Fuck. The minstrel in Monty Python and The Holy Grail. Chemo brain.

John D

Post by John D »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:

OGRE was da bomb.

Yeah, I was wondering about Atomic Tank. Hey, I'll playtest yours if you playtest mine.
Sounds great Matt. Just shoot me a message when you are ready. I still have work to do on Atomic Tank. If our testing goes good tomorrow I will write up the full game rules... but... haha.... I have had four false starts so I will have to keep you posted.

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

Haha, excellent. That looks like a fun bunch of people! One on the left has nice tits, like.
rzbabentix741.jpg
(353.79 KiB) Downloaded 434 times

John D

Post by John D »

Here is a photo of some of the minis for Atomic Tank. Will will also have robots and speeders etc.
13908809_10201939576328858_2579681561121426112_o.jpg
(117.56 KiB) Downloaded 350 times

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

No need to thank me, chaps.

:P

mordacious1

Post by mordacious1 »

Welcome to the Boring Twenties!!

ThreeFlangedJavis

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

Matthew Goodwin has been warning about the cultural grievances behind the populist revolt for a long time. He tried to spread his message to both the UK political left and right and has said that while Labour ignored him, the Conservatives were noticeably attentive. Seems to mirror the attitudes of the left and right in the US. This video explains what he thinks is behind the populist phenomenon and is a bit more nuanced than the usual explanations.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4j4iLVFYbWo

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Fuck... 233 lbs. 11 more than when I was at my previous, pre-keto, maximum fatness-- about 4 years ago. Just a couple months ago, I was at 218. I bought new pants & XL t-shirts... and already they're a bit tight.

Fortunately, my girlfriend has decided to stop grocery shopping every day, and cooking so much. So I can try to re-establish my old, good eating & exercise habits-- instead of passively eating whatever she serves.

I wonder how long it will take to get back-under 180.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Service Dog wrote: Fuck... 233 lbs. 11 more than when I was at my previous, pre-keto, maximum fatness-- about 4 years ago. Just a couple months ago, I was at 218. I bought new pants & XL t-shirts... and already they're a bit tight.

Fortunately, my girlfriend has decided to stop grocery shopping every day, and cooking so much. So I can try to re-establish my old, good eating & exercise habits-- instead of passively eating whatever she serves.

I wonder how long it will take to get back-under 180.
Wonder no more. The process is straight forward.

105 kg is perfect though ... for a 7 foot tall 25 year old male.

1. Face reality. Establish baseline BMI and more importantly, Smart BMI
https://www.jennycraig.com.au/bmi-calcu ... PkQAvD_BwE
https://www.smartbmicalculator.com/resu ... ue=0&gk=70

2. From this, set an evidence based target weight.

3. Work out from BMR your daily energy levels to maintain, lose or put on weight.
https://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html

3. Document a strategy for achieving sustainable energy deficits in order to hit target weight:
+ take ownership of your food/diet
+ minimal carbs: 40-50 grams (and no simple carbs)
+ two satiating meals a day - protein/fat based
+ no snacking
+ calorie track via MyFitnessPal and weigh food until you achieve portion awareness
+ work to a 16:9 fasting regime
+ adopt a whole food diet
+ Weigh yourself daily at same time and log - keep the challenge alive while observing the trend down
+ moderate weights
+ moderate cardio

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Also,
+ don’t drink calories. Coffee with almond milk and water with/without squeezed lemon juice is just fine.
+ that said, avoid alcohol: beer is liquid bread and alcohol is a gateway to additional carbs. If necessary have 1x dry white wine

This guy is a fuckwit. But his book was good for layman, Aussie orientated, motivation:

This book gets you angry at the food industry:

This chick is living the carnivore diet. Bit extreme, but elements are sound.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmrOBA ... NZgPsNxSKg

Personally I’m focused on:
Berries
Greek yoghurt
Eggs in all configuration
Lots of meat (beef, pork, chicken, lamb)
Salmon
Cheese
Butter
Nuts
Coffee and unsweetened almond milk
Lettuce.

So I may not eat till 2:30pm. Then have (say) a three egg omelette with bacon and halloumi cheese. For dinner (7:30pm) I might have a steak or roast with small salad or poached eggs and a dollop of Greek yogurt followed by an almond-milk berry smoothie.

That would be around 6,700 - 7000 KJ depending on portion size. Which is energy deficit relative to an 8000+ figure for stable weight. But represents a lot of food .... Nb- no snacks required and no casual liquid energy. The almond milk has very low carbs.

I don’t freak out if circumstances demand rare exceptions. Here I’ll give myself permission based on ‘need not want’ and then jump back onto the bike. Ie I won’t be that dick at Xmas disavowing pudding at the table. I just won’t over indulge.

It all seems to be working since last April.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Bhurzo - what do you think of this?

Social media addicts, gym junkies and binge drinkers are all being targeted in the Army's latest recruitment drive.

Posters and adverts in the campaign claim members of the armed forces enjoy a "lasting confidence" as opposed to the short-lived satisfaction gleaned from fast fashion and Instagram likes.

The appeal is underpinned by research claiming young people believe they are held back by a lack of self-confidence.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Lsuoma wrote: Bhurzo - what do you think of this? <snip>
I've written, proof read then deleted a massive reply three or four times.

Bollocks to it.

Short answer: standard clueless shite.

Anyway, unless things have changed, retention is a more pressing issue than recruitment. However, as always, "experience vacuum" is a dirty word.

If you're genuinely interested in another of my long, boring, jargon-laced military rants (yawn), say the word and I'll assault the 'pit with my blinkered bigotry.

HelpingHand

Post by HelpingHand »

The word.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

The word.

greylurker

Post by greylurker »

No more Syd Mead. Alien, Bladerunner etc.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Brive1987 wrote:
Service Dog wrote: I wonder how long it will take to get back-under 180.
Thanks for the gameplan. The links offer a slightly-different perspective from mine, but it's interesting to see that viewpoint. (For example-- if you tell the smart bmi calculator that you previously did keto or intermittant fasting-- it will firmly tell you Don't Do That. Well-- I'm gonna do that.)

Yesterday I only ate within a 3 hour window-- 2:30 pm to 5:30pm. Today I'm doing the same. Under 20 net carbs. Feels good. Massive reduction in farting, for one thing.

Girlfriend bought me 4 boxes of 'Magic Spoon' keto breakfast cereal as Xmas gift. $12 per box. Mostly for her own curiosity/ not something I consider necessary. Tried the blueberry flavor-- tastes like those biodegradable packing peanuts made of corn-- but with a dusting of dried blueberry powder. Not bad. Interesting as a novelty.

free thoughtpolice

My 2020 predictions:
There will be a lot of conflict in the Middle East this year.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Service Dog wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:35 pm
Brive1987 wrote:
Service Dog wrote: I wonder how long it will take to get back-under 180.
Thanks for the gameplan. The links offer a slightly-different perspective from mine, but it's interesting to see that viewpoint. (For example-- if you tell the smart bmi calculator that you previously did keto or intermittant fasting-- it will firmly tell you Don't Do That. Well-- I'm gonna do that.)

Yesterday I only ate within a 3 hour window-- 2:30 pm to 5:30pm. Today I'm doing the same. Under 20 net carbs. Feels good. Massive reduction in farting, for one thing.

Girlfriend bought me 4 boxes of 'Magic Spoon' keto breakfast cereal as Xmas gift. $12 per box. Mostly for her own curiosity/ not something I consider necessary. Tried the blueberry flavor-- tastes like those biodegradable packing peanuts made of corn-- but with a dusting of dried blueberry powder. Not bad. Interesting as a novelty.
Yeah, SmartBMI comes with editorial baggage. It’s value for me was providing a less ... aggressive assessment of what is actually heathy in terms of target weight.

21:3 is a fairly tight IF routine, closer to OMAD. Typically keto advice will demand 20-40 grams total carbs. Which I found doable - but only for a few months. Then I transitioned to lowish carbs (around 40-50 grams - allowing for Greek yogurt, 1/4 of a banana and berries), 16:8 IF, moderate exercise and strict calorie counting. I’m finding that more sustainable.

Good luck with your efforts and “may the odds ..... “

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Here is something I whipped up.

Kinda shows the mainstream nutrition and health authorities haven’t quite got the answers for dealing with obesity.

If there is a role for big government then it should be in squashing the Sugar/Salt/Fat processed food industry, ensuring universal access to affordable fresh whole foods and encouraging exercise over spectator sports.

Trad life for the kitchen.

https://i.imgur.com/Lh6LgWq.jpg

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

free thoughtpolice wrote: My 2020 predictions:
There will be a lot of conflict in the Middle East this year.
Ha! :lol:

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

In all seriousness, how do you good folks feel about the Iranian situation? Is Trump being a fool (as he often is) or did Khamenei step over the line?

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

I feel like a nice hot cup of tea is in order.

To fix the problems in the Middle East, or as part of a well balanced diet, or maybe just to recover from the Xmas / NY slump.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

MarcusAu wrote: I feel like a nice hot cup of tea is in order.

To fix the problems in the Middle East, or as part of a well balanced diet, or maybe just to recover from the Xmas / NY slump.
I like the Notch approach. Have them fight it out in Quake 2. That's fair, right? :dance:

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Pitchguest wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:36 am
In all seriousness, how do you good folks feel about the Iranian situation? Is Trump being a fool (as he often is) or did Khamenei step over the line?
Those are not mutually exclusive.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

For 2020, I predict a hit new reality TV show starring Jussie Smollett.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: For 2020, I predict a hit new reality TV show starring Jussie Smollett.
It would be called Jussie (Didn't) Do It!