You is all a bunch of poofs!

Old subthreads
John D

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

Post by John D »

Pitchguest wrote:
fuzzy wrote:
Service Dog wrote:
He barely brushed against her-- while frothing with creepy desire-- and delusions of grandeur.
I followed the patheos link that windy put up about about Silverman versus the Tornado Woman last week to a nearly-two-hour podcast from the 'touched' woman. (and another 45 minutes the next day) which she scatted far and wide into the pod-o-sphere.

Two minutes was quite enough for me, though ... https://overcast.fm/+UnyZKNgdg
So he DIDN'T caress her, like she said originally. Caress and touch are two very different words and have two very different connotations.

A single touch triggered her "really hard" and that triggering went on for several hours? No wonder Silverman apologised, she's a fucking nutcase.
Haha. Yeah... the bitches now have so much control over human interactions that "inappropriate touching" is equated to rape. My wife and daughter went off on me last night while we were watching Survivor. It's a long story... but basically, a older guy got kicked off the show for non-sexual touching. The show bent its knee to the Metoo movement. The players on the show actually admitted to lying about being "harassed" to get Dan kicked off the show.... but ... the show had a special interview with the woman that made the exaggerated accusation and she gave the "I will stand up for all women speech." I thought the whole scam was so obvious that my wife and daughter would see the truth... but no.....

So.... I made the mistake of defending the guy basically saying that he really didn't do much. My wife snapped into her experience being sexually assaulted when she was 15. and in my defense I said.... "You were raped.... this guy rubbed someone's back." That was a fucking mistake. She went off screaming about me always defending rapists who shove fingers up people's asses and.... wow... just wow. People really just can't be rational about this topic.

So many women are just fucking nuts. I mean... I know some men who are also nuts... but.... it's like a 10:1 ratio or something. In a way I should feel sorry for them... but I get tired of having to lie all the time so their fee-fees don't get hurt... and I get tired of getting my chops busted for no reason. I am also 100% done with pretty women manipulating their way through life.

I would be happier if I only saw my wife about once ever three days. Maybe I just have to get out more. I honestly think she has been bullshit testing me. This is a tactic that people use to see how far they can push their partner. They make outrageous requests just to test how far they can go. Another thing yesterday was her complaining she was cold...She Says: "I'm so cold... it's cold in here!" and I said: "the thermostat is the same as it has been for three weeks.... but it's cold outside so it gets drafty in here." So she yells: "If you weren't so cheap you would stop turning down the heat." and I'm like: "I haven't touched the thermostat in three weeks... there ... it is right there on the wall... set it any way you want! you usually complain that you are too hot!" What the fuck bitch!

<end of rant>

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Service Dog wrote: Tulsi voted 'present' on impeachment. So Ocasio took at shot at Tulsi on Twitter.

AOC is constantly threatening to run primary opponents against establishment Dems... but AOC can't get-along with another renegade, either.

Watch out Ocasio. Kamala Harris didn't kill herself.

https://i.imgur.com/hghWVAp.jpg?1
:lol:

Somebody should primary that commie bitch.
Poll: AOC disliked, distrusted, unwanted in her own NY district

Keating

Post by Keating »

I didn't notice any real difference on keto, except that pooping became really painful.

Really?

Post by Really? »

I'll bet you guys think that a conference in Seattle dedicated to solving the city's homelessness problem would be boring.

Think again.
The head of a Seattle-area nonprofit resigned this week after a video of a performer giving lap dances and kissing attendees at the organization’s annual homeless conference went viral, according to new reports.

Kira Zylstra, acting director of King County’s coordinating agency for homelessness, All Home, stepped down after the clip — showing transgender performer Beyoncé Black St. James’ provocative act at the Dec. 9 event — circulated, the Seattle Times reported.

St. James, who wore a revealing bodysuit with silver pasties over her chest, can be seen in the clip doing high kicks and even smooching one of the attendees.

Zylstra had hired St. James, according to local outlet KIRO 7. She initially went on paid leave after the video emerged, but then left her post altogether, according to the report.
https://media.breitbart.com/media/2019/ ... 40x480.jpg

https://nypost.com/2019/12/18/nonprofit ... onference/

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote: It doesn't really matter that much if epigenetic changes are heritable because without mutation the genes are still limited as to how they can express. I don't see how something like speciation is possible without actual mutation. TBH I thought epigenetic changes had been shown to be heritable. What happens to pigs when they go feral? Is that not an example. It doesn't matter though, because a pig is still a pig until something (or lots of somethings) mutates. It can lose it's feral attributes as quickly as it gained them. That's my lay view and TBH I don't know what they are all arguing about because I haven't heard a plausible explanation of how the genes involved in these epigenetic changes came to be without Darwinian evolution.
The acquisition of epigenetic modifiers is itself an evolved trait. The question is whether modifiers acquired during an individual's lifetime can be passed to its offspring. IIRC they've found maybe three or four generations max among fruitflies and shit.

Everyone but EO Wilson agrees that Speciation occurs via natural selection working on gene mutations.

Domestic hogs 'turning' into feral pigs over generations is selection by changed environmental pressure [and could eventually lead to Speciation]. An individual pig getting loose, turning feral in the woods, then returning to domesticated traits after coming home, would be just innate, pre-existing behavior options in response to different situations. If in Environment E1 perform Behavior B1, else do B2.

Heritability of acquired traits [aka, Lamarckism] via epigenetics is beloved to the point of fetishization almost exclusively by SJWs. The discovery that most human traits are heritable was a major buzzkill to their schemes of altering the human condition through grandiose social engineering. Neo-Lamarckism offers them an escape hatch from Darwinian natural selection: under it, they can still transform the environment -- society, culture -- to effect changes. But it's crap.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Here's the video in case you want to learn how to be an activist or want to masturbate.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Really? wrote: I'll bet you guys think that a conference in Seattle dedicated to solving the city's homelessness problem would be boring.

Think again.
The head of a Seattle-area nonprofit resigned this week after a video of a performer giving lap dances and kissing attendees at the organization’s annual homeless conference went viral, according to new reports.

Kira Zylstra, acting director of King County’s coordinating agency for homelessness, All Home, stepped down after the clip — showing transgender performer Beyoncé Black St. James’ provocative act at the Dec. 9 event — circulated, the Seattle Times reported.

St. James, who wore a revealing bodysuit with silver pasties over her chest, can be seen in the clip doing high kicks and even smooching one of the attendees.

Zylstra had hired St. James, according to local outlet KIRO 7. She initially went on paid leave after the video emerged, but then left her post altogether, according to the report.

What's the term for a "gunt" if you have a dick?

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Hunt wrote: Anyone here doing the "ketogenic" diet and/or interested in discussing the merits/evils of a fat based diet? Just wondering since there's so many smartypants here.

Seems there was a brief paroxysm of discussion here on this about year ago, but nothing since.
I’ve gone from 86kg to 70kg since April - using the same scales as poly-scales are a recipe for confusion.

I started with low carb. No bread, alcohol, rice, pasta, fruit, root vegetables or simple sugars. But plenty of eggs, cheese, meat, fish, Greek yogurt and nuts. Plus I replaced breakfast with bulletproof coffee while moving to almond milk.

Then I skipped BPC in favour of eating only between 2.30pm and 9.30pm.

Then I added restricted kilojoule intake while relaxing somewhat on fruit (berries and 50gram banana a day) and occasional single glass dry white wine. I measured my smart BMI and set a target. Determined my BMR and from that set an energy intake ceiling to lose weight. I used MyFitnessPal to track.

I see all this as a logical build. Ie:

1. Lose the carb/sugar dependence via abstinence. For me this was a rerun of giving up tobacco.
2. Realign with substantial natural ingredient fat/protein based meals which keep you satisfied. No bullshit “keto” sweet treats.
3. Then push the body into burning stored fat over rolling carbs via 16:9 IF
4. Then put the body into calorie deficit during the “9”.
5. Only then accept, but police, limited exception eating at special events. Eat something because you “have to” not because you really want to.

And crucially, apply all this via a measured phased approach rather than a “Big Bang”. I think this is key to embracing the approach as “a way of life”.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Really? wrote: I'll bet you guys think that a conference in Seattle dedicated to solving the city's homelessness problem would be boring.

Think again.

Why do all these weirdos have to look like Divine - John Waters' muse who famously ate a dog turd for him?

GenerallyFading

Post by GenerallyFading »

Hunt wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:24 am
Anyone here doing the "ketogenic" diet and/or interested in discussing the merits/evils of a fat based diet? Just wondering since there's so many smartypants here.

Seems there was a brief paroxysm of discussion here on this about year ago, but nothing since.
Be careful of the Keto diarrhea they warn you about constipation but don't mention the opposite issue. Maybe because I'm old and going through That Time, but my body simply can't handle the fat part of the diet. So I end up just cutting out carbs and ending up with no energy. The keto diet is the only thing which made me lose weight and brought my blood glucose levels under control, which means I can see a measurable benefit to this diet. For me, it's a no brainer for type 2 diabetcis. I hope that in future I might be able to return to it, and I certainly can't see that cutting out bread, pasta and higly refined rice is a bad thing. Whether it's the best diet for everyone needs more investigation, but people like Dr Aseem Mulhotra, Dr Richard Bernstein, Professor Tim Noakes and Dr Zoe Harcombe are collecting some data, hopefully that might bring in some useful results.

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

[ . . . ] which she scatted [ . . . ]
Best typo ever.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

John D wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:
fuzzy wrote:
Service Dog wrote:
He barely brushed against her-- while frothing with creepy desire-- and delusions of grandeur.
I followed the patheos link that windy put up about about Silverman versus the Tornado Woman last week to a nearly-two-hour podcast from the 'touched' woman. (and another 45 minutes the next day) which she scatted far and wide into the pod-o-sphere.

Two minutes was quite enough for me, though ... https://overcast.fm/+UnyZKNgdg
So he DIDN'T caress her, like she said originally. Caress and touch are two very different words and have two very different connotations.

A single touch triggered her "really hard" and that triggering went on for several hours? No wonder Silverman apologised, she's a fucking nutcase.
Haha. Yeah... the bitches now have so much control over human interactions that "inappropriate touching" is equated to rape. My wife and daughter went off on me last night while we were watching Survivor. It's a long story... but basically, a older guy got kicked off the show for non-sexual touching. The show bent its knee to the Metoo movement. The players on the show actually admitted to lying about being "harassed" to get Dan kicked off the show.... but ... the show had a special interview with the woman that made the exaggerated accusation and she gave the "I will stand up for all women speech." I thought the whole scam was so obvious that my wife and daughter would see the truth... but no.....

So.... I made the mistake of defending the guy basically saying that he really didn't do much. My wife snapped into her experience being sexually assaulted when she was 15. and in my defense I said.... "You were raped.... this guy rubbed someone's back." That was a fucking mistake. She went off screaming about me always defending rapists who shove fingers up people's asses and.... wow... just wow. People really just can't be rational about this topic.

So many women are just fucking nuts. I mean... I know some men who are also nuts... but.... it's like a 10:1 ratio or something. In a way I should feel sorry for them... but I get tired of having to lie all the time so their fee-fees don't get hurt... and I get tired of getting my chops busted for no reason. I am also 100% done with pretty women manipulating their way through life.

I would be happier if I only saw my wife about once ever three days. Maybe I just have to get out more. I honestly think she has been bullshit testing me. This is a tactic that people use to see how far they can push their partner. They make outrageous requests just to test how far they can go. Another thing yesterday was her complaining she was cold...She Says: "I'm so cold... it's cold in here!" and I said: "the thermostat is the same as it has been for three weeks.... but it's cold outside so it gets drafty in here." So she yells: "If you weren't so cheap you would stop turning down the heat." and I'm like: "I haven't touched the thermostat in three weeks... there ... it is right there on the wall... set it any way you want! you usually complain that you are too hot!" What the fuck bitch!

<end of rant>
What the hell, John. You live thousands of miles away, but your wife and my mother are like mitochondriac twins. Especially that thing about the heat. I swear, every winter I tell her to close the door to the balcony which she always keeps open and ajar every single day, but she wants it open because she's too warm. She also lowers the temperature of the radiators to almost zero. Stepping into the hallway feels like stepping into an igloo. I complain about the cold, she complains that I'm always complaining about the cold. Then one morning she says she's freezing her ass off. I wonder if she's closed the balcony door, she says she has. Then I wonder if she's raised the temperature on the radiators, she says it wouldn't help. When I insist, she wonders why I'm always complaining about the heat. :confusion-shrug:

It's like trying to unravel an ancient Chinese riddle. Then, of course, there's navigating the minefield when you're TOO insistent and she gets mad and doesn't want to do anything but sulk for the next twenty four hours. :snooty:

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

GenerallyFading wrote: [ . . . ]Professor Tim Noakes [ . . . ]
Any relation to Alfie?

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

fuzzy wrote:
[ . . . ] which she scatted [ . . . ]
Best typo ever.
It was the universe's way of course correcting.

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

Brive1987 wrote:
2. Realign with substantial natural ingredient fat/protein based meals which keep you satisfied. No bullshit “keto” sweet treats.
Keto desserts are one of the things I've been wondering about since I started a keto diet about 3 weeks ago. I don't have a rampaging sweet tooth so don't have much of an issue avoiding sweets when dieting. But keto allows for extremely rich, sweet desserts like pecan pie and cheesecake that are just as good as traditional recipes. So I was indulging pretty heavily the first two weeks. The ingredients generally are eggs, almond or coconut flour, butter, nuts, and cream, so it's real whole food, if incredibly calorie dense.

The wild card is the sweetener. I've been making very heavy use of erythritol, which seems almost too good to be true. Apparently, 90% get absorbed into the blood stream in the small intestine, and it's eventually excreted unchanged. The remainder passes through the digestive system with minimal interaction with the gut biome. As with all things too good to be true, I'm skeptical. So many artificial sweeteners with completely different chemical structures have been shown to negatively impact the but biome, making me wonder if just the perception of sweetness in the absence of glucose is causing this. Also, keto diets are still subject to energy balance, and if eating these desserts every day, it's very easy to get your daily calorie intake to 4-5,000 calories which will never result in weight loss unless you're doing some extremely serious training. But 2-3 times per week seems reasonable, and it can be eaten entirely guilt free.

I should also add for those trying a keto diet that taste-wise, by far the best and simplest bread substitute is grilled halloumi cheese, which has a taste and stretchiness that is very bread-like. The down side is the price, making it impractical as an everyday item. In Canada, $10 gets you a brick of halloumi cheese good for about 6 bread-like 'slices'.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:

Think again.

What's the term for a "gunt" if you have a dick?
Dunno. But whatever it is, it's pretty ick.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

screwtape wrote: But this might still be preferable to trying to survive as long with NIDDM and obesity.
GenerallyFading wrote: The keto diet is the only thing which made me lose weight and brought my blood glucose levels under control, which means I can see a measurable benefit to this diet. For me, it's a no brainer for type 2 diabetcis.
Funny you should mention type 2 diabetes. I have to admit that there's an ulterior motive to my sudden keto interest. Type 2 runs in my family and though my blood sugar seems normal I've learned that you can have "diabetes" of sorts by having normal sugar but hyperinsulinemia keeping it in check. Insulin level is not a normal test done with a blood panel. Screwtape probably knows all this already, but some of this may come as a surprise to the "ketos" here: The keto diet has actually been used to control epilepsy and has a number of other brain related properties. Mainly, ketones are the only other major brain fuel besides glucose, ignoring a few other minor sources. Infants are normally in a state of mild ketosis and ketones supply a substantial amount of infant brain fuel. The mental sharpness you might feel while in ketosis, or while fasting, is surely related to this somehow.

All of this has become of extreme interest to me ever since I went of a trip with my mom about a month ago and noticed a decline in her cognitive function (not remembering flight times, checked baggage, etc.) As you can imagine, my anxiety went from about zero to 100 in a matter of days. So now I'm looking into all manner of brain boosting, exercise, diet, other lifestyle change. She isn't type 2, but is kind of borderline (prediabetic) for a couple decades.

Also, anyone here use MCT (medium chain triglyceride) oil? It's kind of the lazy man's route to achieving ketosis in a matter of hours.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

And yes, I am a bit leery of all the saturated fats involved in the keto diet. It does fly in the face of the Standard American Diet (SAD). I'm not nearly well enough versed yet to give a substantive opinion, but when most everyone tells you that you're embarking on something that's going to give you a heart attack, it does give one pause. Ideally I would like to shift (and get my mom to shift) to a modified Mediterranean keto diet (MMKD) which at least pays lip service to the consensus opinion, while adding keto elements to your diet. Add to this periods of intermittent fasting, consumption of two or three tablespoons of MCT, exercise and general healthy lifestyle...sounds like a plan.

(The problem with MCT is that it doesn't last very long. It raises ketones for only three or four hours. So if you're looking for round the clock brain food, you're going to have to re-dose several times a day--and you may not want to drink that much MCT.)

Pseudomonas

Post by Pseudomonas »

screwtape wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:36 am
Not wearing smartypants, and not much energy, but the following are clear:
-you will lose weight, presumably down to a new set point which will depend on exercise level.
-cholesterol numbers will improve, not worsen. Unknown if this actually means less arteriopathy.
-other long term effects unknown as no long term (decades) studies done. Only the Inuit leading pre-contact lives would know, if we had records and if they hadn't kept dying of other things.

I'd take a harm-reduction approach. Maybe the diet isn't perfect and will be shown to cause something nasty after years of use. But this might still be preferable to trying to survive as long with NIDDM and obesity. A practical problem is this: it's not an easy diet to stick with. The Inuit had no choice. Presumably pre-agricultural hunter gatherers relished the gathered part as often as they could. Carb cravings are intense and those carbs will be under your nose and on offer the whole time.

Now for some fun. We know peoples who have had generations of low carb diets (Inuit, Polynesian) are especially prone to being unable to cope with carbs when they get them, becoming very obese and diabetic. We know that the epigenome is altered by diet and the change is heritable for at least one generation with effects nearly gone in the second (Holland experience in WW2). Imagine someone eats a ketogenic diet all their life. Are their kids more likely to behave like Polynesians on carbs as a result, as their epigenomic inheritance includes a temporary naivety to carbohydrates?
I think I've pointed to this before, but can't be arsed looking to check: University of Sydney has been doing research looking at the long term effects of various diets, and conclude that you should probably be on a low protein, high healthy carb diet for healthy aging. I recall, from the talk one of the authors gave, that the greatest weight loss was with a high protein low carb diet, so going keto will probably be good for weight loss, but it wasn't good for longevity.

Caveat (and it's a pretty big one): the study was done in mice, with all the issues that brings of transferring results to humans. They were supposed to be doing a follow-up study in primates, but that will take a long time to read out (one of the reasons mice are used - their natural lifespan is short.... ).

Pseudomonas

ThreeFlangedJavis

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:28 pm
ThreeFlangedJavis wrote: It doesn't really matter that much if epigenetic changes are heritable because without mutation the genes are still limited as to how they can express. I don't see how something like speciation is possible without actual mutation. TBH I thought epigenetic changes had been shown to be heritable. What happens to pigs when they go feral? Is that not an example. It doesn't matter though, because a pig is still a pig until something (or lots of somethings) mutates. It can lose it's feral attributes as quickly as it gained them. That's my lay view and TBH I don't know what they are all arguing about because I haven't heard a plausible explanation of how the genes involved in these epigenetic changes came to be without Darwinian evolution.
The acquisition of epigenetic modifiers is itself an evolved trait. The question is whether modifiers acquired during an individual's lifetime can be passed to its offspring. IIRC they've found maybe three or four generations max among fruitflies and shit.

Everyone but EO Wilson agrees that Speciation occurs via natural selection working on gene mutations.

Domestic hogs 'turning' into feral pigs over generations is selection by changed environmental pressure [and could eventually lead to Speciation]. An individual pig getting loose, turning feral in the woods, then returning to domesticated traits after coming home, would be just innate, pre-existing behavior options in response to different situations. If in Environment E1 perform Behavior B1, else do B2.

Heritability of acquired traits [aka, Lamarckism] via epigenetics is beloved to the point of fetishization almost exclusively by SJWs. The discovery that most human traits are heritable was a major buzzkill to their schemes of altering the human condition through grandiose social engineering. Neo-Lamarckism offers them an escape hatch from Darwinian natural selection: under it, they can still transform the environment -- society, culture -- to effect changes. But it's crap.
I don't express myself very well. I didn't mean an individual escaped pig acquiring feral traits, I meant a population acquiring heritable feral traits. As I say though, I don't see the big issue because there is no gene expression, heritable or otherwise, that isn't there by virtue of genetic mutation and selection which means that if the genetic capability for something like super intelligence isn't there to begin with then you aren't going to be super intelligent. I've seen some intelligent and supposedly skeptical people talking about Dawkins as if he's a stubborn old fool who hasn't accepted that epigenetics has superceded his selfish gene dogma. Heritability of epigenetically acquired traits would make perfect sense from an evolutionary perspective so I don't see why it would be such a hot topic amongst biologists outside of ideological circles.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

I was always leery of reports that artificial sweeteners were as bad or worse for you than sugar itself, but it seems there is an issue. It's not a chemical effect of the molecules themselves, but simply that the taste of something sweet stimulates insulin secretion just as a rising blood glucose does. Makes sense - our bodies have evolved to control glucose, and an early warning that some is on the way sets the pancreas in motion. So you're damned if you do and damned if you don't when it comes to using sugar. Not sure why we crave a taste of something sweet after an adequate meal, but I guess all we can do is to keep it to just a tiny taste. Fruit doesn't help much, as diabetics quickly learn. I used to explain it to patients by having them imagine biting into a tart unripe apple, then imagining how much sugar they would have to heap on that apple to make it taste nice. That's how much sugar is in it when it's ripe. Not quite true, but close.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote: I don't express myself very well. I didn't mean an individual escaped pig acquiring feral traits, I meant a population acquiring heritable feral traits. As I say though, I don't see the big issue because there is no gene expression, heritable or otherwise, that isn't there by virtue of genetic mutation and selection which means that if the genetic capability for something like super intelligence isn't there to begin with then you aren't going to be super intelligent. I've seen some intelligent and supposedly skeptical people talking about Dawkins as if he's a stubborn old fool who hasn't accepted that epigenetics has superceded his selfish gene dogma. Heritability of epigenetically acquired traits would make perfect sense from an evolutionary perspective so I don't see why it would be such a hot topic amongst biologists outside of ideological circles.
I suspected you didn't have in mind some Heart of Darkness Kurtz pig, but I addressed that scenario just in case. :lol:

The differences between a population of domestic pigs and an offshoot feral pig population could be attributable either to the same genes expressing differently in response to the different environment, or to selection of different alleles under the environmental pressure. It's now understood that speciation can occur quite rapidly in the latter fashion.

Epigenetic influence on gene expression is universally accepted, and does not conflict with neo-darwinism per se. The controversy arises because a small, fringe group claim multi-generational inheritance of epigenetic modifiers occurs, and that it greatly diminishes the effect of natural selection. As I mentioned, the claimants just so happen to all be SJWs, their hypothesis conveniently copacetic with their sociopolitical Weltanschauung. There's is a strawman attack on Dawkins -- in truth, he rejects epigenetic inheritance not in principle, but rather because the evidence just isn't there [nor has a working model for it been put forth, for that matter]. But of course, they hate Dawkins anyways for a host of SJW reasons.

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

Hunt wrote: Also, anyone here use MCT (medium chain triglyceride) oil? It's kind of the lazy man's route to achieving ketosis in a matter of hours.
Not sure I would use the term 'lazy' since you still need to be in a very low-carb diet to have any chance of MCT oil causing ketosis. I think its main use is alongside intermittent fasting, since it's a bolus of pure, high quality fat, that can be easily taken with a morning coffee or tea and isn't considered to break the fast (no insulin reaction). Plus, it's preferentially converted to ketone bodies, and will keep energy level and mental focus up and appetite down for hours. It may also be of use for seniors, since research is increasingly showing brain insensitivity to insulin is a major cause of senility. A couple of teaspoons of this per day will ensure there is an alternative source of fuel for the brain.

The relationship of keto to intermittent fasting still seems to be a big unknown, with some keto proponents saying intermittent fasting is just a small enhancement, and others saying most of the benefit of a keto diet is due to its facilitation of intermittent fasting. Based on my online research, I would say it probably doesn't contribute much to weight loss unless it results in lower daily calorie consumption (i.e. you don't binge during your eating window), but it may very well contribute to better overall health.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

jugheadnaut wrote:
Hunt wrote: Also, anyone here use MCT (medium chain triglyceride) oil? It's kind of the lazy man's route to achieving ketosis in a matter of hours.
Not sure I would use the term 'lazy' since you still need to be in a very low-carb diet to have any chance of MCT oil causing ketosis...
I think the 3 shortest MCTs-- Caproic Acid – (C6), Caprylic Acid – (C8), Capric Acid (C10)-- are digested immediately by the liver, no ketosis required.

So maybe there's a 'lazy man's'/shortcut to the brain-advantages Hunt seeks-- tho it's not technically ketosis.

Also-- I think the body receives that energy boost quickly-- not "in a matter of hours". It may last for hours, I suppose.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

I've but a spoonful of MCT in coffee. With or without the spoonful Heavy Cream-- which adds up to 'Bulletproof Coffee'.

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

Hunt wrote: And yes, I am a bit leery of all the saturated fats involved in the keto diet. It does fly in the face of the Standard American Diet (SAD). I'm not nearly well enough versed yet to give a substantive opinion, but when most everyone tells you that you're embarking on something that's going to give you a heart attack, it does give one pause. Ideally I would like to shift (and get my mom to shift) to a modified Mediterranean keto diet (MMKD) which at least pays lip service to the consensus opinion, while adding keto elements to your diet. Add to this periods of intermittent fasting, consumption of two or three tablespoons of MCT, exercise and general healthy lifestyle...sounds like a plan.

(The problem with MCT is that it doesn't last very long. It raises ketones for only three or four hours. So if you're looking for round the clock brain food, you're going to have to re-dose several times a day--and you may not want to drink that much MCT.)
There have been a few rigorous studies (unusual for nutritional science, which sometimes approximated a pseudoscience in the 20th century) published in the last few years which concluded there was no evidence diets high in saturated fat does not cause adverse coronary outcomes. These received perfunctory coverage in the major media, but did not go viral in the way Gary Taubes' 'What if it's all been a big fat lie' NYT article did in 2007 (which became a gamechanger).

The first was a study which was actually based on 50 year old data that didn't get published at the time. Unlike most nutritional science studies, it was a clinical study rather than observational, and involved institutionalized patients. It showed a diet lower in saturated fat did indeed reduce total cholesterol, but no drop in death rate. Instead, it actually found a correlation between lowered cholesterol and increased death rate. The study also did a meta-analysis of other studies with the same focus and concluded the same thing The NYT article I linked to above also mentions a similar 2013 study based on 50 year old data from Australia that showed no correlation between saturated fat intake and death rates. The question becomes why were both of these datasets buried at the time the data was collected? Groupthink and politics are huge pathologies in science.

Probably even more convincingly, there was a Canadian study published this year that was also a meta-analysis that used high levels of statistical rigour to conclude there was no correlation between high saturated fat diets and adverse coronary heart disease outcomes. The reaction to this study was also instructive, with many nutrition scientists criticizing the journal for publishing the study and calling for its retraction just because it went against conventional wisdom. The head of Harvard's School of Public Health , defending their still current anti-saturated fat recommendations, claimed that nutrition studies should not be subject to high levels of rigor.

The bottom line is that almost every bit of nutritional conventional wisdom from the '80s has been proven either baseless or wrong. There is no evidence saturated fat intake leads to adverse outcomes. Fat does not make you fat; excess carbs do. Polyunsaturated fat rich vegetable oils are not good for you; they greatly increase inflammatory omega-6 levels. Dietary cholesterol does not significantly impact blood cholesterol. Salt intake isn't an issue unless you are already seriously hypertensive. The problem is that nutritional intuition is still based on all these myths.

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

Service Dog wrote: I've but a spoonful of MCT in coffee. With or without the spoonful Heavy Cream-- which adds up to 'Bulletproof Coffee'.
Me, too, but more than 1 tablespoon and my ass will be shooting bullets (sorry to ruin anyone's dinner).

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Biden simulated stuttering on the debate stage.

Sarah Huckabee Sanders tweeted-- mocking Biden: "I I I I I I I I I I I I I I hhave absolutely no idea what Biden is talking about"

Biden responded to her, tweeting that he has been a stutterer his whole life, worked to overcome it, and mentors others who stutter.

Sanders replied that she didn't know that about Biden, found it commendable, she apologized, and said she should have been respectful.

Then CNN reported the story. Which took 2 minutes.

But CNN continued-- bringing in an expert, to ask the hard hitting question at the 2minutes8second mark,

CNN: "Do you think that, had the the former Vice-President NOT been a stutterer, and that that NOT been something he had dealt-with, that she WOULD HAVE EVEN said sorry?"

Expert: "No!"

CNN: 24 HOUR HYPOTHETICAL MINDREADER NEWS

What if-- instead of al-Bagdadi-- Conan the Dog had instead found Baby Yoda in that ISIS cave... would Trump have killed the child because it's skin is green?

Yes!

What if the shooters in New Jersey had not been Black Israelites, but instead White Supremecist Nigerians In MAGA hats, would Trump have burned a cross on the white house lawn and bellowed diabolical laughter?

Of course.

And what if the whistleblower's 2nd-hand claims about the Ukraine Call had been accurate, and Adam Schiff's 'parody' was what Trump had actually said-- would Vladamir Putin have high-fived Donald Trump while Justin Trudeau walked south with a tear in his eye and hugged every American he saw, in a show of silent support?

Yes, dear.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

THIS. IS CNN.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

jugheadnaut wrote:
Not sure I would use the term 'lazy' since you still need to be in a very low-carb diet to have any chance of MCT oil causing ketosis. I think its main use is alongside intermittent fasting, since it's a bolus of pure, high quality fat, that can be easily taken with a morning coffee or tea and isn't considered to break the fast (no insulin reaction). Plus, it's preferentially converted to ketone bodies, and will keep energy level and mental focus up and appetite down for hours. It may also be of use for seniors, since research is increasingly showing brain insensitivity to insulin is a major cause of senility. A couple of teaspoons of this per day will ensure there is an alternative source of fuel for the brain.

The relationship of keto to intermittent fasting still seems to be a big unknown, with some keto proponents saying intermittent fasting is just a small enhancement, and others saying most of the benefit of a keto diet is due to its facilitation of intermittent fasting. Based on my online research, I would say it probably doesn't contribute much to weight loss unless it results in lower daily calorie consumption (i.e. you don't binge during your eating window), but it may very well contribute to better overall health.
The logical proposition for IF may not eventuate in reality For reasons.

But your body allegedly exhausts immediate and stored glucose in 6-8 hours. The longer you can delay pumping more carbs/proteins in, the longer your body has to look ... elsewhere for petrol. Plus insulin is allowed to subside for rest breaks.

At least that’s the theory. Add in calorie reduction and surely all bases are covered?

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

IF/energy control feelz less wooish than “turning your body into a fat burning machine” via ketosis fuelled by MCT.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Oh, man... I'd watch so much more TV... if they'd show us more ugly people onscreen.

Usually I gotta watch 1970's episodes of The Newlywed Game... for such a collection as these majestic specimens!...

Better than Star Wars!

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

7 minutes 44 seconds!

Guest_a0ac4a21

Post by Guest_a0ac4a21 »

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

What a collection of deplorables!

Tapir

Post by Tapir »

Pitchguest wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:07 am
It's clowns all the way down. If sex is not immutable, then what are trans people? Is that not what trans means, to transition? What are they trying to transition from?
Sex is totally on a spectrum, a social construct, not a real thing....right up until you suggest these goons aren't the sex they claim to be. Then it all goes flying out the window.

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

Tapir wrote: Sex is totally on a spectrum, a social construct, not a real thing....right up until you suggest these goons aren't the sex they claim to be. Then it all goes flying out the window.
Don't tell me what I can or cannot do, bigot!

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

jugheadnaut wrote: It may also be of use for seniors, since research is increasingly showing brain insensitivity to insulin is a major cause of senility. A couple of teaspoons of this per day will ensure there is an alternative source of fuel for the brain.
Exactly what I've been reading about the last month. This seems to have been dubbed Type 3 diabetes, or brain diabetes. PET scan images have shown glucose uptake deficits in people as early as 30s or 40s, even 20s! Supplementing with ketones even enough to put someone back up above a brain fuel threshold, like perhaps 90%, may be therapeutic.
Service Dog wrote: So maybe there's a 'lazy man's'/shortcut to the brain-advantages Hunt seeks-- tho it's not technically ketosis.

Also-- I think the body receives that energy boost quickly-- not "in a matter of hours". It may last for hours, I suppose.
Yes, I think you're right, but when I get my keto meter I'll be able to tell you from personal experience. MCT driven ketos are supposed to appear in as short as 20 minutes (don't quote me). MCT driven ketos last up to 4 hours, though coconut oil lasts longer (6 to 7 hrs) but has a much smaller proportional content of C6, 8 and 10. I've also heard that coconut oil is so low in MCT that it doesn't raise blood ketone level at all. I'll have to wait and see what my self-testing reveals. Offhand, it doesn't make much sense, since MCT is basically cocunut oil distilled to isolate and concentrate C6 8 and 10.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Brive1987 wrote: At least that’s the theory. Add in calorie reduction and surely all bases are covered?
Calorie restriction seems to be the one nutritional miracle known to humanity, since it's the only known way to slow aging, at least in animal studies. I have to say that knowing how the western diet may be killing our bodies and brains is sure way to put me off food, especially this time of year. Seeing the bags upon bags of candy at the grocery store is really quite nauseating. Trying not to be a hypocrite here; sure I've been known to love a pastry as much as the next guy, but I think with a little reflection it would even kill carb craving for me.

ThreeFlangedJavis

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

jugheadnaut wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:50 pm
The first was a study which was actually based on 50 year old data that didn't get published at the time. Unlike most nutritional science studies, it was a clinical study rather than observational, and involved institutionalized patients. It showed a diet lower in saturated fat did indeed reduce total cholesterol, but no drop in death rate. Instead, it actually found a correlation between lowered cholesterol and increased death rate. The study also did a meta-analysis of other studies with the same focus and concluded the same thing The NYT article I linked to above also mentions a similar 2013 study based on 50 year old data from Australia that showed no correlation between saturated fat intake and death rates. The question becomes why were both of these datasets buried at the time the data was collected? Groupthink and politics are huge pathologies in science.
Agricultural Lobby? Sugar Industry?

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote:
jugheadnaut wrote:
The "establishment" whether political, scientific or otherwise, is always in its own inertial reference frame. It takes time to budge the Titanic off its course, even after the iceberg has been spotted. The same is true for private and "gubermint" projects. They both have similar and also unique forms of intransigence that stop them from being nimble about anything.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Hunt wrote: The "establishment" whether political, scientific or otherwise, is always in its own inertial reference frame. It takes time to budge the Titanic off its course, even after the iceberg has been spotted. The same is true for private and "gubermint" projects.
This has been on my mind this week-- as I re-visited an episode of This American Life, originally broadcast the day Trump was inaugurated (at noon).
The title is "The Revolution Starts At Noon".
The final segment is 2 interviews with Department of Energy career-employees who report group-crying at work when Trump won, tiptoeing around the office to peek at the incoming transition team, and Scrubbing And Deleting mentions of Climate and Global Warming in their computer records-- to obstruct the Trump administration.

To me, this matches the way bureaucrats who had worked with Biden on Ukraine-- second-guessed Trump's phone call. And the way the FBI faked their FISA warrant evidence to spy on Trump.

And it calls into question the validity of official, scientific claims about global warming.
In 2018 an environmentalist watchdog group found “removal of language around climate change” at the EPA, DoE, Ag Department, HHS, Transportation.
"This renewable energy program? Now it’s a jobs program….”

“One government worker told me he knew some people who were really good at this. It’s like the dark arts of civil service.

You can refer things to the general counsel for legal review. That takes time. You can also try to hide things.
One relatively senior official who recently left government has been advising those who stayed behind to just lay low, keep any controversial stuff under the radar. Karen knows that trick.

Karen:
It’s not like you can come into the government and, with the click of a button, find everything you need to know on any topic we’ve worked on for the last 15 years.

David Kestenbaum:
So literally, there might be like programs or documents or things that are just so well hidden that they’d never find out about them?

Karen: “You could say that…. There are definitely some career civil servants that will not ever give in.”

David Kestenbaum: “Sounds kind of wrong. It doesn’t seem like the right thing to do.”
transcript: https://www.thisamericanlife.org/608/transcript
audio: https://www.thisamericanlife.org/608/th ... ts-at-noon

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

LOL. Harry Potter has always been transphobic, and JK Rowling "an aggressive biological essentialist."

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/pkey ... k-about-it

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote:
jugheadnaut wrote:
Don't know. But there's little doubt the original ill-founded UDSA pyramid was developed based on shoddy, incomplete research under pressure from the agricultural lobbies. Which signaled to nutrition scientists that that was the result the government paymaster wanted, which likely seeded the groupthink. Similar to the Canadian study, this study was called 'irrelevant' and a 'footnote' by the pseudoscience defending chair of the Harvard nutrition science department.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Bhurzum wrote:
Tapir wrote: Sex is totally on a spectrum, a social construct, not a real thing....right up until you suggest these goons aren't the sex they claim to be. Then it all goes flying out the window.
Don't tell me what I can or cannot do, bigot!

Is Boomer one of Santa's reindeer?

BoxNDox

Post by BoxNDox »

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Anyone here know any New York area performance artists that work cheap? I'd like to hire someone to piss on some guy's door and make it look like an attack from the deep state. :drool:

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

jugheadnaut wrote:
Don't know. But there's little doubt the original ill-founded UDSA pyramid was developed based on shoddy, incomplete research under pressure from the agricultural lobbies. Which signaled to nutrition scientists that that was the result the government paymaster wanted, which likely seeded the groupthink. Similar to the Canadian study, this study was called 'irrelevant' and a 'footnote' by the pseudoscience defending chair of the Harvard nutrition science department.
I read the Washington Post article I previously linked to in full and has some more detail about the original study data and perhaps why it didn't make it to publication. One of the original lead authors of the study was the notorious Ancel Keys, main mid-century popularizer of the Lipid Hypothesis and primary perpetrator of the 'shoddy, incomplete' research I mentioned that led to the original USDA food pyramid. The data was used in a Masters thesis in 1981, but it was never published. The thesis author, who had interacted directly with Keyes, said:
“The results flew in the face of what people believed at the time,” said Broste. “Everyone thought cholesterol was the culprit. This theory was so widely held and so firmly believed — and then it wasn’t borne out by the data. The question then became: Was it a bad theory? Or was it bad data? ... My perception was they were hung up trying to understand the results.”
Keys was pretty dim when it came to statistics and he was way too much of a crusader than is seemly for a scientist, but maybe this shows he was corrupt as well, and refused to publish data that contradicted his pre-existing beliefs.

Keys wasn't entirely wrong with the Lipid Hypotheses (i.e. saturated fat increases blood cholesterol which causes CV disease), but the story turned out to be quite a bit more complicated. Saturated fat increases both good (HDL) and bad (LDL) cholesterol, generally having a bigger impact on the good. But also, later research showed not all LDL is equal. Larger LDL particles appear not to be pernicious, and may actually be beneficial just like HDL, and research suggests that the LDL increase from saturated fat is mainly these larger particles.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Just don't call it a "shithole" country. That's racist.

GenerallyFading

Lsuoma wrote:
GenerallyFading wrote: [ . . . ]Professor Tim Noakes [ . . . ]
Any relation to Alfie?
Mybe John?....

GenerallyFading

Hunt wrote:
screwtape wrote: But this might still be preferable to trying to survive as long with NIDDM and obesity.
GenerallyFading wrote: The keto diet is the only thing which made me lose weight and brought my blood glucose levels under control, which means I can see a measurable benefit to this diet. For me, it's a no brainer for type 2 diabetcis.
Funny you should mention type 2 diabetes. I have to admit that there's an ulterior motive to my sudden keto interest. Type 2 runs in my family and though my blood sugar seems normal I've learned that you can have "diabetes" of sorts by having normal sugar but hyperinsulinemia keeping it in check. Insulin level is not a normal test done with a blood panel. Screwtape probably knows all this already, but some of this may come as a surprise to the "ketos" here: The keto diet has actually been used to control epilepsy and has a number of other brain related properties. Mainly, ketones are the only other major brain fuel besides glucose, ignoring a few other minor sources. Infants are normally in a state of mild ketosis and ketones supply a substantial amount of infant brain fuel. The mental sharpness you might feel while in ketosis, or while fasting, is surely related to this somehow.

All of this has become of extreme interest to me ever since I went of a trip with my mom about a month ago and noticed a decline in her cognitive function (not remembering flight times, checked baggage, etc.) As you can imagine, my anxiety went from about zero to 100 in a matter of days. So now I'm looking into all manner of brain boosting, exercise, diet, other lifestyle change. She isn't type 2, but is kind of borderline (prediabetic) for a couple decades.

Also, anyone here use MCT (medium chain triglyceride) oil? It's kind of the lazy man's route to achieving ketosis in a matter of hours.
screwtape wrote: I was always leery of reports that artificial sweeteners were as bad or worse for you than sugar itself, but it seems there is an issue. It's not a chemical effect of the molecules themselves, but simply that the taste of something sweet stimulates insulin secretion just as a rising blood glucose does. Makes sense - our bodies have evolved to control glucose, and an early warning that some is on the way sets the pancreas in motion. So you're damned if you do and damned if you don't when it comes to using sugar. Not sure why we crave a taste of something sweet after an adequate meal, but I guess all we can do is to keep it to just a tiny taste. Fruit doesn't help much, as diabetics quickly learn. I used to explain it to patients by having them imagine biting into a tart unripe apple, then imagining how much sugar they would have to heap on that apple to make it taste nice. That's how much sugar is in it when it's ripe. Not quite true, but close.
I do have "sugar free" chocolates and they don't affect me in the same way that sugar does (elevated heart beat, massive thirst) but I usually fall asleep after eating some. So there is an effect going on, and it may not be a good one for some diabetics. Zoe Harcome argues that two squares of good quality dark chocolate (80 -90%) can satisfy you and stop cravings. I'm not convinced personally but other people have said the same.

Fruit does indeed spike me hugely, I argue with my doctor about eating my "Five a day" when even most vegetables cause issues as well.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: "an aggressive biological essentialist."
Matt, could you please stop hating on those of us who prefer a fact-based world? ;)

Not for Matt, who evidently understands irony: facts are, and are supposed to be, aggressive. Facts are right, facts are true. They may boast about it. Loonies who, for example, tell us biological sex doesn't exist as it takes a subordinate place to the needs of a very few humans who are confused, and have yet to show how this applies to the millions of sexually-reproducing species who seem to have no problem with the binary nature of sex, no doubt will continue to express their secondhand confusion. We're willing to help when they ask for it, but not expecting that to happen soon.
I'm pretty sure all of this, and related topics, are expressions of the way in which our population growth curve is flattening off; there have to be mechanisms that reduce population growth, and gender confusion, childlessness, abortions etc all fit the expectation. The universe is unfolding as it should , as the Desiderata put it. I can't tell you to be happy about that, as you and I are definitely on the downside of that curve, but there we are. We must make the best of it. Meantime we may laugh at the unaware idiots who try to pretend all this is desirable.

Fegg

Post by Fegg »

jugheadnaut wrote: Keys was pretty dim when it came to statistics and he was way too much of a crusader than is seemly for a scientist, but maybe this shows he was corrupt as well, and refused to publish data that contradicted his pre-existing beliefs.
That is fairly normal, there is some classic psychological literature on the subject - Maier's Law

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

free thoughtpolice wrote: Anyone here know any New York area performance artists that work cheap? I'd like to hire someone to piss on some guy's door and make it look like an attack from the deep state. :drool:
I have a steady supply of NYC-based doorstep pissers... available on my doorstep. I don't know about making it look like the deep state did it. But name any rapper a decade past his prime-- and I can get you a lookalike. Also available-- Al Sharpton in a tracksuit. Fat or skinny?

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Service Dog wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote: Anyone here know any New York area performance artists that work cheap? I'd like to hire someone to piss on some guy's door and make it look like an attack from the deep state. :drool:

I have a steady supply of NYC-based doorstep pissers... available on my doorstep. I don't know about making it look like the deep state did it. But name any rapper a decade past his prime-- and I can get you a lookalike. Also available-- Al Sharpton in a tracksuit. Fat or skinny?

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

KiwiInOz wrote: Is Boomer one of Santa's reindeer?
I thought Boomer was the French poet who penned the epic poem "Illy-lad" :P

(trap is set, let's see if we get a bite)

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

Fegg wrote:
jugheadnaut wrote: Keys was pretty dim when it came to statistics and he was way too much of a crusader than is seemly for a scientist, but maybe this shows he was corrupt as well, and refused to publish data that contradicted his pre-existing beliefs.
That is fairly normal, there is some classic psychological literature on the subject - Maier's Law
Sure, but there's a big distinction between standard issue confirmation bias and a scientist scuttling a very expensive and time consuming study because the results conflict with what he's already convinced himself is the truth.

Driftless

Post by Driftless »

jugheadnaut wrote:
Fegg wrote:
Sure, but there's a big distinction between standard issue confirmation bias and a scientist scuttling a very expensive and time consuming study because the results conflict with what he's already convinced himself is the truth.
My understanding is that Ancel Keys was aggressive in promoting his theory t the point that he drove out any other data. Then the US gov introduced dietary guidelines (low fat). Then the food industry marketed low-fat, since they ad the imprimatur of the US government. That has made it extremely difficult to change it.

My (anecdotal) experience is that just changing my breakfast from toast (w/butter)/low fat yogurt/fruit/OJ to egg/bacon/toast/whole milk yogurt/fruit/OJ and changing snacks from pretzels to string cheese and spanish peanuts made me stop craving carbs mid-morning. Even when I don't have bacon and eggs with breakfast I still don't crave carbs. So it seems like you can reset your snack cravings away from carbs.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
Service Dog wrote:

oh, man... I don't know how you did it... but... well done. I salute you. I'm fully convinced you're a deep state spook.
What's it been?... over 2 months with no piss downstairs... then you drop that comment... & guess what's glistening down there when I walked the dog tonight?
Yeah yeah yeah "We Know Where You Live. Muu-Hahh-haahaa!!" Nicely played. You got me.