You is all a bunch of poofs!

Old subthreads
Mookie

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

Post by Mookie »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Hunt wrote: We're mentioned in PZ's latest missive...
Wherein he lashes out at all those who remind him of the wedgies he received in high school.
That really is what it's all about. Peez has failed at masculinity his entire life, so when he bombasts " it’s time to overthrow the old order. There will be great pain in the churn", he's fantasizing about toppling all the boys & men who ever were better at being boys & men than he (which he defines as "misogyny" and 'toxic masculinity'.)

What a sad, defeated creature PZ is. Even his impotent rage seems especially flaccid of late.
PZ has been doing "now it's time to get serious and kick ass" schtick since at least the early 2000's on Panda's Thumb. Every couple months he does a new variant of "This time I am really serious! No more Mr. Nice Guy!"

In addition to being one the least scientifically productive Ph.Ds in the history of the degree, he perhaps is academia's biggest paper tiger.

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

My inner-child just wet his pants with excitement!

Loved the original and spent many happy hours rewatching it with my kids, a really special movie in my collection. Hope to buggery they don't muck this up!

Dan

Post by Dan »

BoxNDox

Post by BoxNDox »

Hunt wrote: We're mentioned in PZ's latest missive:

https://web.archive.org/web/20190822125 ... -them-out/

Wherein he lashes out at all those who remind him of the wedgies he received in high school. Scumbags unite! BTW, Peez, might I note that Hong Kong is battling Chinese commies, who are about as far from Trumpkins and JW Campbell as you can imagine.

Really, was there ever a bigger dope born than PZ?
He's just upset that essentially all of Heinlein's books remain in print and popular after all these years, and people will still be reading and enjoying Heinlein long after nothing remains of the current SJW spasm generally and PZ specifically but a bad smell.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

BoxNDox wrote: He's just upset that essentially all of Heinlein's books remain in print and popular after all these years, and people will still be reading and enjoying Heinlein long after nothing remains of the current SJW spasm generally and PZ specifically but a bad smell.
You forgot about his book...

...but then, so did everyone else.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

MarcusAu wrote:
BoxNDox wrote: He's just upset that essentially all of Heinlein's books remain in print and popular after all these years, and people will still be reading and enjoying Heinlein long after nothing remains of the current SJW spasm generally and PZ specifically but a bad smell.
You forgot about his book...

The Happy Atheist, or the one he's supposedly written this year on his sabbatical?

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

HA! is the one I was thinking of.

But I'm not really keeping track...and given the speed and general quality of his output - the world will have to look for moral instruction elsewhere.

Mookie

Post by Mookie »

PZ has a column about a sexual predator prof at Yale. (He never mentions the orientation of the prof. Better to imply it is another white, cis-male, hetero perv than a white, cis-male, gay perv. At the end of the blogpost, PZ reveals why is at UMM rather than an Ivy League college:
I would like to point out that working with spiders in Minnesota seems to provide few excuses for sexually harassing students, but apparently if an industrious, motivated professor could find a way to turn studying vervet monkeys into an opportunity to get into students’ pants, it could be done. Except that I have no interest in treating students that way. I guess that’s why Redmond was at Yale, while I’m at a small state school (PZ Myers)
There you have it! I knew there was a logical explanation why PZ isn't a full prof at Harvard or Yale.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Hunt wrote:
MarcusAu wrote: You forgot about his book...

The Happy Atheist, or the one he's supposedly written this year on his sabbatical?
Or Natural Revolution, the lamarckian, individual-as-unit-of-selection tome he toiled away on for years but either never finished, or was so bad the publisher considered a compilation of old blog posts a better alternative?

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Ooh. David Koch is dead.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

I just got back from the music video gig-- shot on the grounds of a Great Gatsby mansion.

Relaxing with some morning coffee... catching-up on the youtube I missed...

and Sargon is talking about a mysterious, unidentified 'prophet' caught on video 20 years ago, campaigning for Donald Trump to be President...

...well that prophet is a good friend of mine & cohort in weird public stunts.

So-- who has a good communication line to Sargon? I can introduce him to Thee Prophet. Maybe he'll do a 'Sargon for Knighthood' sign...

John D

Post by John D »

Jordan Peterson AI generated speech... Not bad. In two years these things will be perfect.

John D

Post by John D »

BoxNDox wrote:

Wherein he lashes out at all those who remind him of the wedgies he received in high school. Scumbags unite! BTW, Peez, might I note that Hong Kong is battling Chinese commies, who are about as far from Trumpkins and JW Campbell as you can imagine.

He's just upset that essentially all of Heinlein's books remain in print and popular after all these years, and people will still be reading and enjoying Heinlein long after nothing remains of the current SJW spasm generally and PZ specifically but a bad smell.
I gotta admit that I used to be more like ole PZ. I was mad at the world... figuring it was everyone elses fault for my struggles. Then I started to become successful.... and... eventually... I figured out that I could succeed as long as I didn't blame things on others. PZ is basically just a whining loser. He is obviously reasonably successful in a way... since he is a teacher etc. But, he is not content to live happily in his world and do his best every day. He has convinced himself that he should be king of the world. What an ass.

So, I don't really play sports, I like watching musicals, I birdwatch, I hike, I play war games with little toy soldiers. And if you don't like what I do then don't do it. I don't fucking care. and... I consider myself a traditional man. I work hard, I try to be honest, I take care of my family... and this does not mean I am in some kind of fucking patriarchy. I work twice as hard as any of the women in my life right now.... and hell... I work ten times more than my wife. and... this is what the patriarchy looks like.... Jesus Christ.

and the fucking leftist assholes try to call me a fascist. whatever. Haha.

I think it was Camile Paglia who said something like "If women ran everything we would still live in grass huts." Haha. I love it. Because really.... science fiction is about fucking SCIENCE! It is in the god-damned name! SCIENCE FICTION. Men like science and machines and shit ten times more than women.... So... most of the good sci fi tends to be masculine. GET OVER IT BITCHES and go read Little Women or something. Go fuck off! And let men have some male spaces! Really now... just suck my asshole!

So, now, after being totally red-pilled I struggle to even listen to the radio or TV. What the fuck!

I have been thinking about getting some patriotic fans and a bunch of US flags for my house. Over the top shit! I don't know what my wife will think of this. Haha.

end-of-rant.

John D

Post by John D »

and in further news.. the Detroit Prosecutor has decide to charge a dood with second degree murder. His three pit bulls jumped his fence and ripped a little nine year old girl to bits while the neighbors tried to rescue her by bashing the dogs with bricks. I would enjoy cutting this guys fingers off... one at a time. fuck.

https://start.att.net/news/read/categor ... t_gi-rtime

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

John D wrote: Because really.... science fiction is about fucking SCIENCE! It is in the god-damned name! SCIENCE FICTION. Men like science and machines and shit ten times more than women.... So... most of the good sci fi tends to be masculine.
I always liked the classic big three - Asimov, Clark and Heinlein, as well as other writers from SF's golden age. But I never considered them the be-all and end-all of the genre, so enjoyed the New Wavies such as Ursula K. Le Guin, Brian Aldis and Harlan Ellison too.

I remember William Gibson saying that he was not interested in the technology so much as the behavior and culture of the people that were using it. So he was writing about people as much as he was writing about things. And then by the time he wrote 'Pattern Recognition' - it was in the same genre and style as his earlier works, but arguably due to general advances was no longer science fiction.

Don't much care who is gerrymandering the lines between 'mascaline' and 'feminine' fiction - to let everyone know what is and isn't acceptable.

Ah well - I think I'll go and read something by James Tiptree Jr...that'll show 'em.

BoxNDox

Post by BoxNDox »

MarcusAu wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:46 pm
John D wrote: Because really.... science fiction is about fucking SCIENCE! It is in the god-damned name! SCIENCE FICTION. Men like science and machines and shit ten times more than women.... So... most of the good sci fi tends to be masculine.
I always liked the classic big three - Asimov, Clark and Heinlein, as well as other writers from SF's golden age. But I never considered them the be-all and end-all of the genre, so enjoyed the New Wavies such as Ursula K. Le Guin, Brian Aldis and Harlan Ellison too.

I remember William Gibson saying that he was not interested in the technology so much as the behavior and culture of the people that were using it. So he was writing about people as much as he was writing about things. And then by the time he wrote 'Pattern Recognition' - it was in the same genre and style as his earlier works, but arguably due to general advances was no longer science fiction.

Don't much care who is gerrymandering the lines between 'mascaline' and 'feminine' fiction - to let everyone know what is and isn't acceptable.

Ah well - I think I'll go and read something by James Tiptree Jr...that'll show 'em.
Nah, the one you want to read is Jack Chalker. Maybe something from the Flux and Anchor series. And not Midnight at the Well of Souls - that one's actually a great book.

Perverse worldview is putting it mildly.

Driftless

Post by Driftless »

John D wrote:
BoxNDox wrote:

I gotta admit that I used to be more like ole PZ. I was mad at the world... figuring it was everyone elses fault for my struggles. Then I started to become successful.... and... eventually... I figured out that I could succeed as long as I didn't blame things on others. PZ is basically just a whining loser. He is obviously reasonably successful in a way... since he is a teacher etc. But, he is not content to live happily in his world and do his best every day. He has convinced himself that he should be king of the world. What an ass.

So, I don't really play sports, I like watching musicals, I birdwatch, I hike, I play war games with little toy soldiers. And if you don't like what I do then don't do it. I don't fucking care. and... I consider myself a traditional man. I work hard, I try to be honest, I take care of my family... and this does not mean I am in some kind of fucking patriarchy. I work twice as hard as any of the women in my life right now.... and hell... I work ten times more than my wife. and... this is what the patriarchy looks like.... Jesus Christ.

and the fucking leftist assholes try to call me a fascist. whatever. Haha.

I think it was Camile Paglia who said something like "If women ran everything we would still live in grass huts." Haha. I love it. Because really.... science fiction is about fucking SCIENCE! It is in the god-damned name! SCIENCE FICTION. Men like science and machines and shit ten times more than women.... So... most of the good sci fi tends to be masculine. GET OVER IT BITCHES and go read Little Women or something. Go fuck off! And let men have some male spaces! Really now... just suck my asshole!

So, now, after being totally red-pilled I struggle to even listen to the radio or TV. What the fuck!

I have been thinking about getting some patriotic fans and a bunch of US flags for my house. Over the top shit! I don't know what my wife will think of this. Haha.

end-of-rant.
The result of intersectional crap is that people now have other people to blame for their situation. That leads to tribalism, and tribalism never leads to anything good. Here is an example (from NBC (!)) of blaming men for women's problems:

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/m ... cna1042931
Framed differently, the picture is this: Men need heterosexuality to maintain their societal dominance over women. Women, on the other hand, are increasingly realizing not only that they don’t need heterosexuality, but that it also is often the bedrock of their global oppression.
Historically, women have been conditioned to believe that heterosexuality is natural or innate, just as they have been conditioned to believe that their main purpose is to make babies — and if they fail to do so, they are condemned as not “real,” or as bad, women.
So evolution had nothing to do with it.

On science fiction, I found this archive: http://www.luminist.org/archives/SF/. I've started with Galaxy Science Fiction Volume 1 Number 1 and so far have found a story later used as a Twilight Zone episode, the first draft of Fahrenheit 451 and a story that must have been the inspiration for Idiocracy.

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

Driftless wrote: On science fiction, I found this archive: http://www.luminist.org/archives/SF/. I've started with Galaxy Science Fiction Volume 1 Number 1 and so far have found a story later used as a Twilight Zone episode, the first draft of Fahrenheit 451 and a story that must have been the inspiration for Idiocracy.
That is fucking awesome!

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Lsuoma wrote: Ooh. David Koch is dead.
One down, one to go.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

I've posted this before, but reading Harlan Ellison's I Have No Mouth But Must Scream as a young teenager made me the jaded, soulless, nihilist I am today.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

screwtape wrote:
One down, one to go.
I only learned I like the Koch brothers 3 month ago.

http://slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php ... 62#p490662

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

I have a feeling the "investment class" (rich people) are just itching to dump trump. The Dow took a massive dive today, so if you weren't shorting stock, you just lost a truckload of money. Yes, trump wasn't elected by the investment class, but those are the people who control him. The dunce seems to be purposefully rocking the boat. Today he instructs American corporations to get out of China, right before the Fed gives a big announcement on interest rates. People were sprinting to their brokers. Then he says it was all a joke.

This loose cannon needs to be tied down before it sinks the ship.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Service Dog wrote:
screwtape wrote:
One down, one to go.
They were/are also big on crony capitalism.

See fake Koch calls Scott Walker:

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Zoom, Peez has gotten out in front of a possible tarnishing of his stellar reputation. Turns out his universe and the evil twin universe of Jeffrey Epstein have overlapped after all:

https://web.archive.org/save/https://fr ... /#comments

InfraRedBucket

Post by InfraRedBucket »

John D wrote: and in further news.. the Detroit Prosecutor has decide to charge a dood with second degree murder. His three pit bulls jumped his fence and ripped a little nine year old girl to bits while the neighbors tried to rescue her by bashing the dogs with bricks. I would enjoy cutting this guys fingers off... one at a time. fuck.

I'm just getting some landing page prompt to "Access my AT&T Yahoo Mail account" when I click on that link. Which I have never had.
Something not right there.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Dan wrote:
The infamy!

He sounds eminently reasonable. I wonder how long it will be before he is framed as an oppressor.

Driftless

Post by Driftless »

Was not expecting to see this name in an article about Epstein. I'm not sure if "science blogger" applies anymore. "Rage blogger" might be more accurate. A previous lawsuit:
In his telling, Pivar ended his friendship with Epstein after learning from Farmer of her sexual assault. Some evidence of the tension between Pivar and Epstein is lying in public view. In August 2007, Pivar sued a science blogger named P.Z. Myers and Seed Media Group, which hosted his blog, alleging defamation. Myers had lit into Pivar’s work, calling him “a classic crackpot.” In his complaint, Pivar made a point of mentioning by name two prominent members of SMG’s board: Jeffrey Epstein and Ghislaine Maxwell. The lawsuit was later dropped.
https://www.motherjones.com/crime-justi ... -sick-pal/

John D

Post by John D »

InfraRedBucket wrote:
John D wrote: and in further news.. the Detroit Prosecutor has decide to charge a dood with second degree murder. His three pit bulls jumped his fence and ripped a little nine year old girl to bits while the neighbors tried to rescue her by bashing the dogs with bricks. I would enjoy cutting this guys fingers off... one at a time. fuck.

I'm just getting some landing page prompt to "Access my AT&T Yahoo Mail account" when I click on that link. Which I have never had.
Something not right there.
This link should work.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/ ... 082960001/

ThreeFlangedJavis

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

The Beeb have dropped the fig leaf altogether. This dozy cow of an interviewer is an absolute disgrace. She actually invokes white privilege! They used to at least pretend to be trying to establish a guest's policies and opinions on the subject at hand, but now they just find a quote they think they can use and hammer away at that until the target is neutralised.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYbCds9C3U4

John D

Post by John D »

I am very tempted to post this on Facebook.... what do youall think?

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Do what thou wilt.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Florida:
White dude chides black chick for parking in handicap spot outside convenience store.
Black chick starts screaming, says she can park wherever she likes.
Black chick's BF comes back out of store, strides up to white dude and shoves him to the ground.
White dude pulls concealed carry pistol, shoots black dude in the chest.
Black dude staggers away and dies.
Cops don't charge white dude, citing FL 'stand your ground' law.
Blacks protest in the streets.
DA charges white dude.
Prosecutors argue the altercation started when white dude chided black chick, not when black chic's BF shoved white dude.
Jury convicts white dude on manslaughter.

https://nypost.com/2019/08/24/florida-m ... slaughter/

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Service Dog wrote:
screwtape wrote:
One down, one to go.

May I give you a list of other people to like?

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

BoxNDox wrote: Nah, the one you want to read is Jack Chalker. Maybe something from the Flux and Anchor series. And not Midnight at the Well of Souls - that one's actually a great book.
Or perhaps something by John 'Gor' Norman.

The thought occurred to me that even by the standards of the endless thread I managed to stray wildly from the topic at hand. No news there I suppose.

As a corrective - let me say that on balance I think that the world was a better place that John W Campbell was once in it.

If PZ or that Marxist Corey Doctorow want to dig up his corpse and put him on trial like a medieval pope for having unacceptable political opinions - that's on them. I would hope that the wider population takes a more considered view - though it's more likely that they don't give a shit.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

For strange reasons I still don't quite comprehend, I decided when young that there was too much to read, and so I would read only what I enjoyed. Perhaps an illustration of the ways in which we can justify whatever odd decisions we make. Anyway, this meant an excuse as to why the only books I bought outside outrageously expensive medical textbooks were science fiction. Frankly, it made me very happy to go around the local secondhand bookshops with a weekly budget of £1 and buy whatever I could fit in that pound note that would last me for a week. Don't believe anyone who tells you medical students have to work hard all hours. Once you get in, you will pass. If you got in honestly, the work is easy. You have to find something to occupy the rest of the day.
I really liked Heinlein, barely tolerated Asimov who was too simplistic, and felt pretty neutral about Clarke. Eventually, I focused on a few writers that really never disappointed me, and they have probably been lost since those days. For example Edmund Cooper, Bob Shaw and Richard Cowper. John Brunner too, for Stand on Zanzibar. Maybe John Christopher for The Death of Grass. Cooper did a nice alternative history that was much like Keith Roberts' Pavane, in The Cloud Walker. He also did some strikingly misogynist things, like Five to Twelve and Who Needs Men? Shaw wasn't a skilled writer, but like many an SF writer, had good ideas that he couldn't do justice to in his stories. Fire Pattern and Light of Other Days come to mind. Perhaps that is a notable characteristic of SF: authors whose plot ideas far outstrip their literary ability. Probably have to go to Amis père et fils, Ian McEwen and Iain Banks to get SF plots that are matched to writing ability.
I still have shelves of SF paperbacks that I bought then, and still sometimes re-read a favourite whilst I wait for a film to be scanned in the Flextight. Somewhere in 1977, I abandoned buying more SF, as I had been exposed to my father-in-law-to-be's bookshelves. Nicholson's The Age of Reason, and rather ridiculously, Robert Ardrey's The Social Contract, led me on to their progenitors. Thomas Paine and Jean Jacques Rousseau are heady stuff for a youngster. As I moved away from SF, I was vaguely aware that I was losing very little in that all that I could extract from it was already mine. It isn't a real field with real developments, only speculations. Frankly, I don't give much of a hoot for the speculations of diversely genderfluid snowflakes, so there wasn't much to lose. I've learned more about human nature from Anthony Trollope and Thomas Hardy since then than I had learned from all the SF writers combined. Ultimately, I have confirmed that I should read what I enjoy, but don't know what I shall enjoy until I try it! No doubt PZ and his shitty brain won't begin to understand this, but the act of reading is not a political act: it is simply occupying yourself in whatever way you find entertaining. Pretty much the same as making a pot of tea. Hard to keep the horde of commenters happy that way, when it is easier to try to portray each book as a brave stand against the order of the world; a revolutionary act that risks the reader's life for the benefit of the downtrodden. Well, I'm sure politically correct science fiction will sell as well as The Happy Atheist, and deserves to do so. I'll not be told what I can read, what I can enjoy, and what I can laugh at (vide a recent WEIT thread).

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

@screwtape:
I was never huge into SF book reading, but for a while it was what I mainly read. Some people devour the entire SF corpus, I never did that. BUT... if you never read Jack Vance, I highly recommend at least reading one of his best novels. Emphyrio stands out for me, though I haven't read it for a while. It would be a shame if I reread it and find that it sucks, but I don't think so.

And you don't have to worry, Vance was old-school Reaganite wingnut. But also a genius.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

The video speaks for itself, I suppose.

Goldie gives her review of the trailer for the movie 'Hail Satan?' using it a springboard for a call to action, or at least prayer. The life of a true believer seems to be full of endless forms of drama.

For anyone interested, my recommendation would be to watch the movie in full and make up your own mind. My impression of it - was that the satanists were a bunch of modern day merry pranksters - though they did seem more accommodating to those of a 'SJW' or anti-Trumpist mindset. They take more inspiration from Milton than any of the biblical writings per se - and if they believe in anything it's s power of metaphor and narrative.

And on a not completely unrelated note I think I shall take a walk through Mortlake today - to check out the site of former christian mathematician (amougst other things) John Dee

There are more things dreamt of, etc, etc....

ThreeFlangedJavis

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

MarcusAu wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:11 pm
The video speaks for itself, I suppose.

Goldie gives her review of the trailer for the movie 'Hail Satan?' using it a springboard for a call to action, or at least prayer. The life of a true believer seems to be full of endless forms of drama.

For anyone interested, my recommendation would be to watch the movie in full and make up your own mind. My impression of it - was that the satanists were a bunch of modern day merry pranksters - though they did seem more accommodating to those of a 'SJW' or anti-Trumpist mindset. They take more inspiration from Milton than any of the biblical writings per se - and if they believe in anything it's s power of metaphor and narrative.

And on a not completely unrelated note I think I shall take a walk through Mortlake today - to check out the site of former christian mathematician (amougst other things) John Dee

There are more things dreamt of, etc, etc....
Goldie does have one quite serious point in the disparate response to "hate speech" against Xtians and Muslims. If I were Catholic I would be upset about that. Even from a purely secular point of view I am disturbed at the naive complicity of Xtian leaders in the Muslim drive to outlaw criticism. Muslim activists are very effective at pretending to make common cause with other religions and even SocJus freaks before eventually applying the thumbscrews to them too.

A few years to late to take in the Mortlake brewery. Fell to Singaporean developers in 2016 I believe, although it had devolved into a mass market brewery by then.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Perhaps my concerns are out-of-synch with the current zietgeist...

And on that note may I recommend the following doc which I watched last night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EXQgTDZs60

At the end of which Tony Hendra compared his time working for National Lampoon in 1970s New York with Hemmingway's time in 1920s Paris - specifically 'A Moveable Feast'

My knowledge of such things is not what it might be - so if anyone can recommend anything else by Hemmingway or Fitzgerald or something else tangentally related (or not) - please go ahead.

nb. missed JD's house (which I have heard is now a 2 bedroom flat) - but there it is still a splendid walk from Mortlake to Hammersmith.

nb2. That damn Tucker Carlson clip keeps autoplaying for me - anyone else having the same trouble?

HelpingHand

Post by HelpingHand »

A week ago the 2019 Hugo winners were announced. For some reason the mainstream press appear to have given the announcement a collective, "Oops, did that happen." Counter revolutionists. There will be a reckoning. Fortunately our own glorious media sources such as The Mary Sue and Boing Boing were there to inform the masses that this was another successful year for the Great Leap Forward.

May I present the 2019 candidates for best novel:
https://i.ibb.co/1stKDmc/collage-novel.jpg

May I present the winners of the next six categories:
https://i.ibb.co/H44NdP0/collage-hugo.jpg

Regrettably, three of the remaining eleven winners were born with rigid oppressive phalli. I tried to include their images in the collage but ran out of spoons, began literally shaking and had to spend some time in the ball pit.

Also not pictured is Archive of our Own: winner of the 2019 Hugo for Best Related Work. A delightful nest of fan fiction where six of the seven directors are of the approved gender. Number seven at least specializes in writing femslash and will receive a one year reeducation deferment.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

HelpingHand wrote: May I present the 2019 candidates for best novel
A likely story.

None of them look particularly book-ish to me. That's modern literary criticism for you I suppose, anything can be a text.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Goldie should've asked herself, "How much collagen would Jesus inject into his lips?"

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Jim can't swim is a youtube channel that has analyses of actual police interrogations. He follows the interrogations describing the strategies and how they are able to sweat confessions out of people. This particular one is interesting because it shows how even police are vulnerable to the tactics even though they should know better. Also, how the extreme facial expressions of this particular witch become more pronounced as the interview goes on and she realizes she's toast.
Normally I'm not a fan of longer vids but found this one, although an hour long interesting all the way through and has a quite a finale.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Hunt wrote: @screwtape:
I was never huge into SF book reading, but for a while it was what I mainly read. Some people devour the entire SF corpus, I never did that. BUT... if you never read Jack Vance, I highly recommend at least reading one of his best novels. Emphyrio stands out for me, though I haven't read it for a while. It would be a shame if I reread it and find that it sucks, but I don't think so.

And you don't have to worry, Vance was old-school Reaganite wingnut. But also a genius.
I struggled back through some accumulated mess and found The Houses of Iszm and The Eyes of the Overworld, bought in 1979 and 1983 respectively (evidently I started to read non-SF after 1977 but did not stop buying it straight away). Looks like those are years before Emphyrio. So much to do and so little time.

My enlarging lymph nodes are about three times larger than they were when first noticed in the winter. I've waited a month since my GP asked for a review from the hematologist. No appointment as yet, but that isn't a reason for you Americans to be delighted with your wretched system, either. As things stand, I shall not buy books I may not get a chance to read. My expectation is that when I am seen by the hematologist, he will go through the expected stuff about using second line treatment only when needed.

An aside for the education of potential cancer sufferers: welcome! Let us assume that when you relapse you might expect, say, two years survival from second line treatment. Shall one institute said treatment straight away, or wait? Take me, for an example. Here I am, relapsing slightly ahead of the average for someone who has undergone the first line chemo I enjoyed in 2014-2015. So there are some nasty cells left, and they are ones that survived the drugs used in first line chemo. The protocol says that second line must be a repeat of first line if more than two years have passed. So let's administer a repeat of first line. We know it will not be curative as we are attacking cells that survived it before. Let us assume it kills ~97% of cancerous lymphocytes and provides 1-2 years of survival. Shall I start this second line treatment straight away? Nope, I shall wait until the last moment before starting it. This isn't controversial or even interesting. That part will come when after the next relapse I have to argue that a bone marrow transplant is justified (in NS I am already too old for such, yet much older patients with acute leukemias qualify, and I have seen such patients survive and go on to a "natural death" from some other cause. I am prepared to make my case with as much argumentation as I can gather).

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

When one doctor treats another - I imagine that in context the second opinion is viewed as even more of an inconvenience.

Several members have become dormant recently - but not many (besides the other John) have taken this degree of precautions to not post again that you may be using.

All the best to you and your family (and the rats) at this time. I hope to still be enjoying your comments for a good while longer at the very least.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

screwtape wrote: My enlarging lymph nodes are about three times larger than they were when first noticed in the winter.
Well that sucks. I was under the impression that you had slayed the monster last time, but I guess that would be like trying to prove a negative. I know I don't have to tell you, but remember, new stuff is coming up all the time, so you'll probably be in the game for a long time. Best wishes and luck.

And BTW, I think Emphyrio was published in 1970. Vance was a real old timer, died just a few years ago at nearly a hundred.

Suet Cardigan

Post by Suet Cardigan »

WhiteFem.png
(102.16 KiB) Downloaded 433 times
anKArRX1_400x400.jpg
(30.02 KiB) Downloaded 435 times

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Screwy, what drugs did you have before? Chlorambucil or Melphalan? Or are those no longer used in humans?

(PS - good luck: fuck cancer!)

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

Lsuoma wrote: fuck cancer!
After you...

https://i.gifer.com/DyX.gif

(That's clearly an Australian crab)

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Screwtape, I'm very sad to hear about the cells and nodes and all of that. I hope they do allow the transplant. Perhaps you could point them to the PIt to find examples of your bredth of knowledge, your sage advice, your thoughtfulness and generosity to others, and to see that you are an older fella who is definitely worth saving. Good luck in the upcoming fight.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Bhurzum wrote:
Lsuoma wrote: fuck cancer!
After you...

https://i.gifer.com/DyX.gif

(That's clearly an Australian crab)
That's not a knife ...

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Lsuoma wrote: Screwy, what drugs did you have before? Chlorambucil or Melphalan? Or are those no longer used in humans?

(PS - good luck: fuck cancer!)
Fludarabine, cyclophosphamide and rituximab. The first of those does permanent damage to the stem cells that grow platelets, and persisting low platelet counts will limit the doses used for second time around. I've been watching a new drug that might turn out to be useful - venetoclax. It turns on apoptosis in the leukemia cells.

Driftless

Post by Driftless »

Brits getting smarter:

https://www.newstatesman.com/sites/defa ... k=4XPERzZ2

Or not. Apparently grade inflation is a serious problem. I think it is a problem in the US as well, but I have not seen a comparison.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/e ... -its-value

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Even Juilliard has 'bad kids', who come to dance class high, hungover, or insolent.
They had a badboy leader-- Stanley-- & after graduation, Stanley formed a dance company, recruiting more misfit-toys.
For a while he fit a pattern you'll find in any subculture-- the skateboarder who is crazy-talented/ but too contrarian to compete in contests or accept brand endorsement money. The surfer-jesus who lives in a cardboard box on the beach & is only see surfing tsunamis durning full moons.
He was also the complete prick who young newbs call 'great' because they're afraid to admit they're afraid of Stanley-- or they hope to be seen as edgy by association with him. Then he fit the pattern of the wasted genius-- who used-to make the most incredible dances, but now year after year he just trots out a cultlike drove of old-out-of-shape bodies for sloppy hippie group-ritual chanting and yoga-in-unison, punctuated with banal leftist political bumper sticker slogans. Which actually enhanced the legend of his former-greatness, via 'what a waste' contrast.
Literally the world's best dancers-- from Mark Morris, Merce Cunningham, Martha Graham-- would moonlight with his crew, unpaid, for the sheer adventure of it. My ex is a dancer, so that was my social circle & I danced with them for years, just-because I was already hanging-out at all the rehearsals anyway. But I only wanted to try every drug once-- and see inside every nightclub once-- not burn myself out on it forever. I couldn't stand them by about 2003-- when the hippie shit really kicked-in. But I missed being a part of a big family.
Stanley died a couple days ago, age 48. Probably drugs, maybe suicide, or aids, or other untreated medical stuff. Or he could easily have been killed by the druggies & psychos & homeless lowlifes he'd hang out with, Jesus-style. He's been committed on involuntary psychiatric hold before. Anything's possible. "Found in his apartment" is all I know.
The news was hardly shocking. It took me a day to feel something-- self pity that no one was going to call me to see if I'd heard the news/ or commiserate. I wouldn't be welcome at any memorial get-togethers or performances, because the in-group prefers my ex & my presence would make her uncomfortable. Tho the reality of attending would be-- nothing but a reminder that they're a bunch of blathering idiots who I intentionally avoid for good reason. I do hope word reaches them that I was away working with Beyonce when Stanley died-- they'll be jealous. Today is a fancy gig as well-- with some intrigue. The Grammys and MTV Video Music Awards left nyc a few years ago, taking away a lot of busine$$. Now they're back, and apparently a journalist asked questions about what enticements the city govt offered for them to return... the city denied any special treatment. I'm working a peripheal event. I wasn't aware of the questioning. But-- I was very confused when the client was dismissive of usual stuff-- like making-sure the decor would pass fire inspection, or getting the usual bureaucratic permits to handle crowd control. Other events are jump thru all sorts of bureaucratic hoops to avoid being shut-down. This one seems sure they're above scrutiny. I'm not against attracting business with appealing tax rates or welcoming treatment-- but I think the good-deals should be offered across-the-board to everyone doing business here. Not special treatment for specific companies. I'm like Mueller on stuff like this-- it's 'outside my purview" to balance the cosmic scales of justice. If I were to dig deeper & prove actual wrongdoing-- and blow the whistle-- what would the effect be? Maybe the corrupt parties would be punished. Or maybe it would just be me shooting myself in the foot. The event gets shut down, or leaves ny again, or the people who hired me are put out of business, and I lose work. I find it interesting backroom deal crony-ism of the old-fashioned sort still exists in nyc. How do the Ocasios and Elizabeth Warrens propose to keep that corruption from infecting big money projects, like their green new deal/ or government turning finance and healthcare and the internet into globalized public utilities?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

In a daring new marketing strategy, Gillette tries praising its clientele instead of shaming them:

Gillette says it is “shifting the spotlight from social issues” after an ad about “toxic masculinity” caused a customer backlash.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Is the Pyt officially dead?

Driftless

Post by Driftless »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:23 am
Is the Pyt officially dead?
Apparently not yet...but it seems close.

BoxNDox

Post by BoxNDox »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote: Is the Pyt officially dead?
Nah, it's just pining for the fjords.