The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Continuation of the post at Abbie Smith's ERV blog (http://scienceblogs.com/erv/)

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Postby Karmakin » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:56 am  •  [Post 2211]

Michael K Gray wrote:
Karmakin wrote:Check your god damned privilege.

Are you able to vaguely define what this imperative actually means?
You confidently assert it, in context, but I'll be buggered if I can even have an inkling of a fathom of what the fuck this SJW hogwash means.
Please elucidate.
(In English)


Well, the exact phrase itself was somewhat ironic, as it's their motto, really. I should start by saying that I do think that the way that the whole privilege thing is typically used is incorrect. That is, that someone has a natural/cultural advantage over somebody else and as such the advantaged person cannot possibly understand what the non-advantaged person is going through, and as such the opinions/experiences of the non-advantaged person should take priority. The problem with that, is that in most cases, it's not the "privileged" person that's above what we think should be the norm, it's the other person who is below that baseline. So I actually think underprivileged is a better term. (But that means you can't dismiss what other people who disagree with you are saying, and that's Bad.)

However, there actually IS privilege in the world. Real, honest to goodness privilege seeking and claiming. And the biggest offender, by far, is religion. When they're demanding the primary seat of every discussion involving any sort of ethics or morality, that's privilege claiming. When they're saying that one needs to be religious to be a good person, that's privilege claiming. When they demand that things that are offensive to them be removed..that's privilege claiming. When they demand that nobody speak up against them because it's "bigotry", that's privilege claiming. And generally speaking, atheists/skeptics fight/argue against these things. And rightfully so.

But all those things above, all those cases of privilege claiming are things that the A+ movement do on a constant basis. All of them. (The first, might be a bit strained, I admit, but I still argue that it's there)

So yes, the point behind it is that the people who go around telling others to check their own privilege have bloody forests sticking out of their own eyes, (My apologies for the religious reference, however, I actually do think that particular parable and the common misinterpretation of it is actually culturally important).

The whole Social Justice Warrior thing, is that if one takes a wider look at things, A+ is just one part of a larger movement. You see the same common threads of privilege claiming and "world revolves around me" style thinking all through it.

I hope that clarified.
User avatar
Karmakin
.
.
 
Posts: 683
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:49 am

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Postby Gumby » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:57 am  •  [Post 2212]

rocko2466 wrote:Hey

A change.org petition. Effectively, a response to Adam Lee's.

https://www.change.org/en-AU/petitions/ ... um=twitter


Meh. I know you mean well, but these things are absolutely fucking stupid and meaningless. The Slymepit itself is the best online tool against those, um, well, online tools.
Just because you shot Jesse James, don’t make you Jesse James.
User avatar
Gumby
.
.
 
Posts: 4241
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:40 am

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Postby Tfoot » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:59 am  •  [Post 2213]

More lulz from Roth:
Apparently Amy is keen to show that she's not a man hater or trying to discourage men. So she's now allowing men to apply for her 'grant'. The lulz come of course when you click apply.

http://s9.postimage.org/djzl32grj/surly ... grants.jpg

Amy is encouraging men to apply for her 'Surly Woman Grant' that is 'Helping Women to participate in science and rationalism. One woman at a time' and that 'To apply for this Surly Woman Grant, please fill out the form below'. Wow, thats an interesting way to encourage men to apply!

Amy also points out that everything in this grant system is done by her. This just looks corrupt, and leaves her open to the criticism that shes using this as a back door to subsidize her drinking buddies to attend conferences.

Word to the wise Amy, if you don't want to appear corrupt, do not decide who wins yourself.
User avatar
Tfoot
 

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Postby Michael K Gray » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:11 am  •  [Post 2214]

Karmakin wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:
Karmakin wrote:Check your god damned privilege.

Are you able to vaguely define what this imperative actually means?
You confidently assert it, in context, but I'll be buggered if I can even have an inkling of a fathom of what the fuck this SJW hogwash means.
Please elucidate.
(In English)


Well, the exact phrase itself was somewhat ironic, as it's their motto, really. I should start by saying that I do think that the way that the whole privilege thing is typically used is incorrect. That is, that someone has a natural/cultural advantage over somebody else and as such the advantaged person cannot possibly understand what the non-advantaged person is going through, and as such the opinions/experiences of the non-advantaged person should take priority. The problem with that, is that in most cases, it's not the "privileged" person that's above what we think should be the norm, it's the other person who is below that baseline. So I actually think underprivileged is a better term. (But that means you can't dismiss what other people who disagree with you are saying, and that's Bad.)

However, there actually IS privilege in the world. Real, honest to goodness privilege seeking and claiming. And the biggest offender, by far, is religion. When they're demanding the primary seat of every discussion involving any sort of ethics or morality, that's privilege claiming. When they're saying that one needs to be religious to be a good person, that's privilege claiming. When they demand that things that are offensive to them be removed..that's privilege claiming. When they demand that nobody speak up against them because it's "bigotry", that's privilege claiming. And generally speaking, atheists/skeptics fight/argue against these things. And rightfully so.

But all those things above, all those cases of privilege claiming are things that the A+ movement do on a constant basis. All of them. (The first, might be a bit strained, I admit, but I still argue that it's there)

So yes, the point behind it is that the people who go around telling others to check their own privilege have bloody forests sticking out of their own eyes, (My apologies for the religious reference, however, I actually do think that particular parable and the common misinterpretation of it is actually culturally important).

The whole Social Justice Warrior thing, is that if one takes a wider look at things, A+ is just one part of a larger movement. You see the same common threads of privilege claiming and "world revolves around me" style thinking all through it.

I hope that clarified.

It both clarified and muddied, I'm afraid.
Too many words to describe what should be a simple concept.
And that is where I think the problem lies.
They NEED to to muddy the waters, so as not to be caught out lying their little backsides off.

Now, I AM most certainly privileged:
Private-school educated in a secure & prosperous country.
Free University education.
Self-employed as managing director of my own hi-tech company, yada yada.
Hob-nobbing with the elite of society whom were my my parent's acquaintances, and all that.

But absolutely NOTHING about which these SJWs applies to me, apart from the fact that as a birthday present I was given testicles.

But, I am still in a quandary as to what "check" means in this expression.
Is it "check" as in cloak-room, like 'leave it at the door'?
Is it "check" as in 'inspect'?
Is it "check" as in 'tick off a list' in a perfunctory manner?
Is it "check" as in 'match an opponent's move'?

I remain in a quandary.
As you employed the phrase, you must surely know what it means.
Please explain.
User avatar
Michael K Gray
.
.
 
Posts: 2480
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:04 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Postby Gumby » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:13 am  •  [Post 2215]

Pitchguest wrote:
fascination wrote:Holy Shit! So Tf00t uploaded a new video on YT and there is a feminist by the username Ruby Dynamite commenting on the video. She just claimed that women have been molested at TAM. I'm on my mobile device and the YT app wasn't letting me copy and paste for some reason but her comment was posted about 15 minutes ago.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dzDTmAsIjYI


They just can't help making things up, can they? If there were such a large amount of molestation, it would have been reported by now. If not by DJ "privileged white gay man" Grothe, then by someone else on the commitee - a woman, if we're going with the diverse route. But the accounts I've read from last year's TAM and the accounts from TAM the year before suggests the reports of harassment were next to none, and the TAM has only existed since 2003. Are we missing some vital information that these people have but which they conveniently refuse to share?


I know you know all this already, but just venting:

Name one accusation they have ever made, ever, that they have provided the slightest fucking shred of evidence for. Elevatorgate? Nope. Upskirt Camera guy? Nope. Any other incidentgate? Nope. Not one bit of evidence in what, almost two years?

Where do you think the term "hyperskeptical" came from?

Hyperskepticism: The act of asking for evidence, any evidence at all, of any of the assault and/or harassment claims made by FreethoughtBlogs, Skepchick, or other Nth-wave feminist online personalities.

Remember, Matt Dillahunty even said it doesn't matter if Elevator Guy is real or not. Because, you see, this harassment shit obviously goes on all the time, you'll just have to take their word for it.

Why, if I were to be hyperskeptical, I'd start to suspect that this "harassment accusation" campaign was just a cover for another agenda.

*spit*
Just because you shot Jesse James, don’t make you Jesse James.
User avatar
Gumby
.
.
 
Posts: 4241
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:40 am

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Postby Gumby » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:17 am  •  [Post 2216]

decius wrote:
fascination wrote:Or they could have reported it to the police. I mean, She said "molestation"! No one even reported it on the anonymous survey given out after TAM, LOL!


These malicious fabrications need to stop. If I were DJ, I would grow a pair.


You'd think DJ Grothe would have figured it out after the blatant attempt at sabotage Surly Amy perpetrated at last year's TAM. She did everything she could to manufacture drama that would support the Skepchick claims of harassment there. It was so fucking obvious a child could see it.

But no, Grothe is too busy giving out Surly-Ramics to JREF donors who give over a certain dollar amount.
Just because you shot Jesse James, don’t make you Jesse James.
User avatar
Gumby
.
.
 
Posts: 4241
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:40 am

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Postby Michael K Gray » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:22 am  •  [Post 2217]

Gumby wrote:Name one accusation they have ever made, ever, that they have provided the slightest fucking shred of evidence for. Elevatorgate?

No. But they have provided a veritable mountain of evidence against the corporeal presence of the Satan of stairlifts, the Beelzebub of bannisters, the Elf of elevators, the Lucifer of Lifts, the Antichrist of erm, erm, 'thingies'.
User avatar
Michael K Gray
.
.
 
Posts: 2480
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:04 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Postby Mykeru » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:22 am  •  [Post 2218]

Plonk wrote:Have you guys seen this yet? Zinnia Jones has hit the news after her decision to do a Reddit AMA "ask me anything" about an upcoming court case.

The Reddit thread (the consensus in the replies seems to be "what the hell are you thinking?")
http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/16dpvl/i_am_lauren_mcnamara_and_im_scheduled_to_testify/

Freethoughtblogs post
http://freethoughtblogs.com/zinniajones/2013/01/ask-me-anything-about-a-case-of-national-interest/

Guardian article:
Key witness in Bradley Manning WikiLeaks trial defends Reddit webchat
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jan/11/bradley-manning-wikileaks-trial-reddit-webchat

A former confidante of the WikiLeaks suspect Bradley Manning has defended her decision to hold an online Q&A about the soldier's forthcoming trial, despite her having been named as a key defence witness.


Zinnia's response on twitter:

Learning firsthand just how many people will call a woman a "whore", "dumb bitch", "fucking cunt", and so on. Thanks reddit.


Yeah, here's a typical comment that she characterizes as calling her a whore:

I don't think it's ever a good thing when the witness for a guy who could be facing life in prison or a death sentence is saying things like "I think he knew he was committing a crime"... I sure as hell wouldn't want you testifying if you were stupid enough to talk to the media in mass and answer anything you could before even stepping in court (just giving the opposition more ammo and more firepower by opening your mouth).
I have no remorse for Manning but I wouldn't even want a person like you to have any involvement - must talk to everyone and anyone instead of staying silent.
I hope you've broken some laws with information you give out so you pay for being an idiot.
Edit*-tldr You're an attention whore.


Must be nice to live in your own little narcissistic world where other people are just things, eh, Zin?
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -- H.L. Mencken
User avatar
Mykeru
.
.
 
Posts: 4073
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:52 am

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Postby Guest » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:23 am  •  [Post 2219]

Michael K Gray wrote:But, I am still in a quandary as to what "check" means in this expression.
Is it "check" as in cloak-room, like 'leave it at the door'?
Is it "check" as in 'inspect'?
Is it "check" as in 'tick off a list' in a perfunctory manner?
Is it "check" as in 'match an opponent's move'?

I remain in a quandary.
As you employed the phrase, you must surely know what it means.
Please explain.

I have heard the A+ers using the phrase "check your privilege at the door", although this doesn't rule out the other senses of the word "check". Apart from that I think I'm as confused as you are.
User avatar
Guest
 

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Postby Michael K Gray » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:28 am  •  [Post 2220]

Guest wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:But, I am still in a quandary as to what "check" means in this expression.
Is it "check" as in cloak-room, like 'leave it at the door'?
Is it "check" as in 'inspect'?
Is it "check" as in 'tick off a list' in a perfunctory manner?
Is it "check" as in 'match an opponent's move'?

I remain in a quandary.
As you employed the phrase, you must surely know what it means.
Please explain.

I have heard the A+ers using the phrase "check your privilege at the door", although this doesn't rule out the other senses of the word "check". Apart from that I think I'm as confused as you are.

Then that rules out interminable games of chess by which to ward off the oolong dark tea-time of their souls, eh?
Check mate, I think.
User avatar
Michael K Gray
.
.
 
Posts: 2480
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:04 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Postby Gumby » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:34 am  •  [Post 2221]

Al Stefanelli wrote:Adam Lee's Redundant Petition of Redundant Redundancy



Image

That hit the fucking bullseye Al. You should send a link to this to everyone on the recipient list of that ludicrous petition.
Just because you shot Jesse James, don’t make you Jesse James.
User avatar
Gumby
.
.
 
Posts: 4241
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:40 am

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Postby Karmakin » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:35 am  •  [Post 2222]

Michael K Gray wrote:Now, I AM most certainly privileged:
Private-school educated in a secure & prosperous country.
Free University education.
Self-employed as managing director of my own hi-tech company, yada yada.
Hob-nobbing with the elite of society whom were my my parent's acquaintances, and all that.

But absolutely NOTHING about which these SJWs applies to me, apart from the fact that as a birthday present I was given testicles.

But, I am still in a quandary as to what "check" means in this expression.
Is it "check" as in cloak-room, like 'leave it at the door'?
Is it "check" as in 'inspect'?
Is it "check" as in 'tick off a list' in a perfunctory manner?
Is it "check" as in 'match an opponent's move'?

I remain in a quandary.
As you employed the phrase, you must surely know what it means.
Please explain.


Well, there's what they say it means and what they actually mean by it. BTW, the answer to the above is "check" as in "inspect".

What they say it means, is that if you are not yourself part of an oppressed group, and if you have a differing opinion, it's because you don't have the "lived experience" and as such you need to take the word of people who are in said group as absolute truth, and as such you should just stand down and read and listen and learn from the people with said experiences.

What it actually means is two-fold, depending on the usage. The first actual meaning, is that as you are a member of a "privileged" group, you are obviously a horrible human being and as such anything you say is entirely meaningless, because you're just trying to hold on to your power/advantage.

The second actual meaning is JUST SHUT UP THAT'S WHY. Instead of having an actual argument against what one is saying, it's a way to shut down any sort of debate so they don't have to see people who disagree with what they are saying.
User avatar
Karmakin
.
.
 
Posts: 683
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:49 am

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Postby Gumby » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:37 am  •  [Post 2223]

Zenspace wrote:
Al Stefanelli wrote:Adam Lee's Redundant Petition of Redundant Redundancy

[youtube]IFOHOUqDE3k


Dayum, Al! I do love it when you get on a roll - and that was a good damn roll! That vid needs to get a LOT of exposure. Really well done! :clap: :dance: :clap: :dance: :clap: :dance:


Al Stefanelli: Gets more done after a COPD attack than most people do all day.
Just because you shot Jesse James, don’t make you Jesse James.
User avatar
Gumby
.
.
 
Posts: 4241
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:40 am

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Postby LMU » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:40 am  •  [Post 2224]

Michael K Gray wrote:
Guest wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:But, I am still in a quandary as to what "check" means in this expression.
Is it "check" as in cloak-room, like 'leave it at the door'?
Is it "check" as in 'inspect'?
Is it "check" as in 'tick off a list' in a perfunctory manner?
Is it "check" as in 'match an opponent's move'?

I remain in a quandary.
As you employed the phrase, you must surely know what it means.
Please explain.

I have heard the A+ers using the phrase "check your privilege at the door", although this doesn't rule out the other senses of the word "check". Apart from that I think I'm as confused as you are.

Then that rules out interminable games of chess by which to ward off the oolong dark tea-time of their souls, eh?
Check mate, I think.


I always thought it was "check" as in "inspect." The main idea of privilege, as I understand it, is that it is harder to understand someone else's point of view if they have a different set of privileges as you, and you should be aware of that. It shouldn't be a conversation stopper or a rhetorical bludgeon which is how it is often used.
"Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes."
Charitable interpretation of Elevator Guy.
"They" pronouns please.
User avatar
LMU
.
.
 
Posts: 617
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:40 am

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Postby Tigzy » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:48 am  •  [Post 2225]

Michael K Gray wrote:I have been the "owner" of some 15 or 16 equines in my time, and none has even vaguely resembled Jen.
Admit it: you are "getting on the boat" of dogpiling McCrieght as regards what you see as her involuntarily acquired facial characteristics.

Please keep it to yourself, or:
Grow the fuck up.


Sorry, MKG - I do appear to have hit a sore point here with you.

I apologise unreservedly for the inadvertant suggestion that your horses might have in any way resembled Jen McCreight.
"It should be noted that among the more alarming tendencies of those men who participate in train-spotters' groups, one will also find a complete disinclination to discuss feminism or women's issues."

Isobel Shed, feminist, 1959
User avatar
Tigzy
.
.
 
Posts: 3139
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:53 am

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Postby Michael K Gray » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:52 am  •  [Post 2226]

Karmakin wrote:...The first actual meaning, is that as you are a member of a "privileged" group, you are obviously a horrible human being and as such anything you say is entirely meaningless, because you're just trying to hold on to your power/advantage.

Then that must be my interpretation, as I am a member of a "privileged" group.
Although I am actively trying to shed said privilege, rather unsuccessfully I might add, how far must I drop before I gain pity-points?
I acquired right-sided hemiplegia in 1996, for all the pity points that such is worth.
And I get a mild headache when I am FORCED AGAINST MY WILL to listen to elevator music.
User avatar
Michael K Gray
.
.
 
Posts: 2480
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:04 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Postby Gumby » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:53 am  •  [Post 2227]

comslave wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:
justinvacula wrote:...but of course Elevatorguy, if he existed, couldn't just be socially awkward.

"Elevator Guy" is far more fictional than Santa or the Tooth Fairy.



In the age of the internet, with a limited number of suspects, elevatorguy remains unknown. Nice try, Becky. Maybe you should hire an actor to play the part.


That's what I've said all along. No one with as much notoriety as ElevatorGuy stays anonymous on the Internet for long. Either he comes out, or someone outs him. ElevatorGuy does not exist. He's a complete fabrication designed to further an agenda.

Image
Just because you shot Jesse James, don’t make you Jesse James.
User avatar
Gumby
.
.
 
Posts: 4241
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:40 am

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Postby Michael K Gray » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:57 am  •  [Post 2228]

Tigzy wrote:I apologise unreservedly for the inadvertant suggestion that your horses might have in any way resembled Jen McCreight.

Trust me mate.
If any of my mares had the pulchritudinous body of Jen McC, I'd have sired more foals than Phar Lap.
User avatar
Michael K Gray
.
.
 
Posts: 2480
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:04 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Postby Tigzy » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:59 am  •  [Post 2229]

Ape+lust wrote:
AbsurdWalls wrote:
aweraw wrote:
Tigzy wrote:I'm pretty sure that Annathebot is a poe


The truth is far more scary. That's RobotAnna. Anyone familiar with the SJW crazies on reddit knows who that scary indiviual is. A known lunatic.


Holy fuckballs.


Fuckballs is right. She has her own subreddit.

http://www.reddit.com/r/RobotAnna/

RobotAnna wrote:Rules
1. You will be banned.


I dunno - these poe parodyists can be pretty dedicated.

Then again, maybe I just don't want to believe she's real.
"It should be noted that among the more alarming tendencies of those men who participate in train-spotters' groups, one will also find a complete disinclination to discuss feminism or women's issues."

Isobel Shed, feminist, 1959
User avatar
Tigzy
.
.
 
Posts: 3139
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:53 am

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Postby Gumby » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:05 am  •  [Post 2230]

Michael K Gray wrote:
Tigzy wrote:I apologise unreservedly for the inadvertant suggestion that your horses might have in any way resembled Jen McCreight.

Trust me mate.
If any of my mares had the pulchritudinous body of Jen McC, I'd have sired more foals than Phar Lap.


Image
Just because you shot Jesse James, don’t make you Jesse James.
User avatar
Gumby
.
.
 
Posts: 4241
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:40 am

Stop the Drama

Postby Some lurker » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:07 am  •  [Post 2231]

Relevent:
A desperate plea from an ex-muslim
User avatar
Some lurker
 

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Postby 16bitheretic » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:17 am  •  [Post 2232]

Karmakin wrote:The second actual meaning is JUST SHUT UP THAT'S WHY. Instead of having an actual argument against what one is saying, it's a way to shut down any sort of debate so they don't have to see people who disagree with what they are saying.


Exactly.

Much like my rant a few pages back about the patriarchy, privilege is something which if defined correctly is real and is worth study in terms of demographics.

However, just like patriarchy, which in the hands of these radfems turns from a demographic study of society which indicates that typically men hold positions of political and corporate power more than women on average and instead becomes a conspiracy theory of the Alex Jones stripe, the idea of privilege takes on a whole new meaning as well with these same people. In their arms race of oppression, where the goal is to gain status within the insular community by adding more demographics handicaps and victimhood attributes to their overall oppression rating, any potential checkbox of privilege becomes an attacking point to your very right to exist in their space and be able to engage in any dialogue at all.

If someone by their race, gender, sexual orientation, class, health, gender identity and expression or any other noticeable feature is deemed to have a higher number of privilege checkboxes marked, then by all means they are to be discredited automatically if they even so much as dare to even think differently about a subject. It's the classic stick the fingers in the ear "LALALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU! SHUT THE FUCK UP AND STOP STOP DISAGREEING WITH MY ESTABLISHED VIEWPOINTS! LALALALALALA!!"

It's absolutely astonishing how some of these people make it through life.
User avatar
16bitheretic
.
.
 
Posts: 448
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:00 pm

Re: Stop the Drama

Postby Gumby » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:20 am  •  [Post 2233]

Some lurker wrote:Relevent:
A desperate plea from an ex-muslim
Y8LaNTrLeKU


A monotonous, droning rendition of "Dear Muslima", followed by whining. It's nice to see more people pointing out the ridiculousness that the FtB/Skepchick/A+ crowd is perpetrating, but man, that's eight minutes and 33 seconds of my life I'd like to get back.

Plus, he misses the point totally.

First of all, most of the atheist community is not involved in this bruhaha - only a relatively small portion is, either pro or con.

Secondly, fighting these idiots IS important. Would he rather everyone stand idly by while malignant dogmatists try to gain control of a large portion of the community, and dictate its evolution?

All in all, a fail. A boring fail.
Just because you shot Jesse James, don’t make you Jesse James.
User avatar
Gumby
.
.
 
Posts: 4241
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:40 am

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Postby Dilurk » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:20 am  •  [Post 2234]

Tfoot wrote:For epic lulz!
1) PZ on why online polls are utterly pointless.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jszbryanTeU&t=15m33s

2) On why signing a online petition, which he calls 'sort of a poll' is actually really important
http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... /#comments

FYI, the reason I dont rip people like myers a new asshole over this is because I really think the guy is finished. Look at his EPIC attempt at 'pharyngulation'. 1 like on facebook, 2 tweets, zero on google+ and a mighty 14 comments. Thats not merely being greeted with apathy and disinterest, thats being greeted by the gentle sound of wind on the high plains and tumble weed idling by in the foreground.

The most devastating blow that myers, benson, zvan and roth can throw has exactly zero effect. Between them they can just about scratch together 1000 signatures for an online petition.

But even IF they could get their wish and all these secular leaders turned their backs on me, how would this stop me from making videos? How is getting people I scarcely know to 'shun' me meant to change my mind?

Its kinda like a+thesim all over again!


I have always felt that shunning is a tactic religious groups use. The Mormons use it for example.
This is a nice article on it I found on google.
http://theovereducatedhousewife.blogspot.ca/2012/01/shunning.html

It confirms what a lot of us have been saying. FtB and A+ are cults and perhaps religious cults at that.
User avatar
Dilurk
.
.
 
Posts: 1215
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:04 pm

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Postby Gumby » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:21 am  •  [Post 2235]

Michael K Gray wrote:
Gumby wrote:Name one accusation they have ever made, ever, that they have provided the slightest fucking shred of evidence for. Elevatorgate?

No. But they have provided a veritable mountain of evidence against the corporeal presence of the Satan of stairlifts, the Beelzebub of bannisters, the Elf of elevators, the Lucifer of Lifts, the Antichrist of erm, erm, 'thingies'.


BTW, nice to see you back, MKG.
Just because you shot Jesse James, don’t make you Jesse James.
User avatar
Gumby
.
.
 
Posts: 4241
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:40 am

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Postby Tigzy » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:30 am  •  [Post 2236]

Has to be said, Peezee's demonisation of his critics is reaching laughably desperate levels:

We are, apparently, 'a small group of Mabusesque obsessive haters'

This would be down to all the Nostradamus fans we have here, I guess.

Oh, and in case anyone was wondering if he had the Pyt in mind, here makes it clear in the comments section, in his response to Caine, Fleur Du Flerdydurdy:

PZ Myers

11 January 2013 at 9:34 pm (UTC -6)

They already did! They called it Slymepit, and I’ll give them this, the name is perfect.


http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/2013/01/11/a-petition-is-a-kind-of-poll-isnt-it/

It'll be full-on Godwinning next - I'd bank on it.
"It should be noted that among the more alarming tendencies of those men who participate in train-spotters' groups, one will also find a complete disinclination to discuss feminism or women's issues."

Isobel Shed, feminist, 1959
User avatar
Tigzy
.
.
 
Posts: 3139
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:53 am

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Postby Gumby » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:36 am  •  [Post 2237]

Tigzy wrote:Has to be said, Peezee's demonisation of his critics is reaching laughably desperate levels:

We are, apparently, 'a small group of Mabusesque obsessive haters'

This would be down to all the Nostradamus fans we have here, I guess.

Oh, and in case anyone was wondering if he had the Pyt in mind, here makes it clear in the comments section, in his response to Caine, Fleur Du Flerdydurdy:

PZ Myers

11 January 2013 at 9:34 pm (UTC -6)

They already did! They called it Slymepit, and I’ll give them this, the name is perfect.


http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/2013/01/11/a-petition-is-a-kind-of-poll-isnt-it/

It'll be full-on Godwinning next - I'd bank on it.


Actually, I believe it was one of Peezus's commenters who bestowed the appellation of "Slime Pit" upon the group, when it was at Abbie's blog. Not that it really matters.
Just because you shot Jesse James, don’t make you Jesse James.
User avatar
Gumby
.
.
 
Posts: 4241
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:40 am

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Postby Gumby » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:40 am  •  [Post 2238]

Demonization of their critics is all they have. They try their best to cast us in this evil rapey misogynistic light, so that they can somehow look good by comparison. Um, it's not working PZ. All it does is make more people sign up at this place once they come here and see for themselves it's nothing like the lies you put out.
Just because you shot Jesse James, don’t make you Jesse James.
User avatar
Gumby
.
.
 
Posts: 4241
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:40 am

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Postby AbsurdWalls » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:41 am  •  [Post 2239]

irkthepurists wrote:Are people saying the limerick would have been sexist and problematic even if it hadn't referenced/been directed at Buckle? If it had been in a limericks thread in General Chat or something?

The first time I read, it, I just took it as a reference to bankers, the villains of our times, being tiresome people. Then I wondered if the final line was a reference to abuse. It's ambiguous, though, which is something no good limerick should ever be.


On no account must we allow innuendo in our ribald poetry! Somebody at jref has pointed out that the reaction to this limerick is a manifestation of erotophobia, which is a form of oppression.

So maybe Eowyn should check her goddamn fucking privilege!!!
http://slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=82996#p82996
"... a tour de force." - Cunning Punt
User avatar
AbsurdWalls
.
.
 
Posts: 863
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:50 pm

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Postby Tigzy » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:42 am  •  [Post 2240]

At the time of writing, the Pit's newest member is Frank Miller.

Could it be...?

I know Miller has not been treated kindly by Peezee and his winnits in the past...
"It should be noted that among the more alarming tendencies of those men who participate in train-spotters' groups, one will also find a complete disinclination to discuss feminism or women's issues."

Isobel Shed, feminist, 1959
User avatar
Tigzy
.
.
 
Posts: 3139
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:53 am

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Postby AbsurdWalls » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:43 am  •  [Post 2241]

Gumby wrote:Demonization of their critics is all they have. They try their best to cast us in this evil rapey misogynistic light, so that they can somehow look good by comparison. Um, it's not working PZ. All it does is make more people sign up at this place once they come here and see for themselves it's nothing like the lies you put out.


Seeing as most new members join up after being accused of being 'pitters, my tagline suggestion is: "In for a penny..."
http://slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=82996#p82996
"... a tour de force." - Cunning Punt
User avatar
AbsurdWalls
.
.
 
Posts: 863
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:50 pm

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Postby Jan Steen » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:44 am  •  [Post 2242]

It has already been noted that Surly Amy doesn’t understand Venn diagrams. The following doesn’t make sense at all:

Image

http://skepchick.org/2013/01/will-there-be-more-surly-grants/

This is saying, among other things, that all people with internet and too much free time, who are both atheists and skeptics, are assholes, and that no other people in those three sets are assholes. That is patently wrong. Can’t you see that you are claiming, for example, that all unemployed people with internet, who are both atheists and skeptics, are assholes? Surely, that is not what you mean.

Look, Surly, this is how a Venn diagram actually works:

Image

As for the substance of your post, I disapprove of people who send you hate messages. Those who believe that such things are acceptable can find themselves in the second Venn diagram, in the intersection of 'fanatics' and 'people who can't think for themselves'. I call those people dangerous idiots. They don't have my sympathy.
Fighting hypocrisy since Sun Oct 14, 2012.
User avatar
Jan Steen
.
.
 
Posts: 1943
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:18 am

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Postby Lsuoma » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:45 am  •  [Post 2243]

AbsurdWalls wrote:
irkthepurists wrote:Are people saying the limerick would have been sexist and problematic even if it hadn't referenced/been directed at Buckle? If it had been in a limericks thread in General Chat or something?

The first time I read, it, I just took it as a reference to bankers, the villains of our times, being tiresome people. Then I wondered if the final line was a reference to abuse. It's ambiguous, though, which is something no good limerick should ever be.


On no account must we allow innuendo in our ribald poetry! Somebody at jref has pointed out that the reaction to this limerick is a manifestation of erotophobia, which is a form of oppression.

PeeZus Christ, do these people never laugh? It must be phenomenally tiring to be so serious 24x7.
Call me old-fashioned, but I like a dump to be as memorable as it is devastating.
User avatar
Lsuoma
Fascist Tit
 
Posts: 4811
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:58 pm
Location: Pacific NW

Re: Stop the Drama

Postby LMU » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:46 am  •  [Post 2244]

Gumby wrote:
Some lurker wrote:Relevent:
A desperate plea from an ex-muslim
Y8LaNTrLeKU


A monotonous, droning rendition of "Dear Muslima", followed by whining. It's nice to see more people pointing out the ridiculousness that the FtB/Skepchick/A+ crowd is perpetrating, but man, that's eight minutes and 33 seconds of my life I'd like to get back.

Plus, he misses the point totally.

First of all, most of the atheist community is not involved in this bruhaha - only a relatively small portion is, either pro or con.

Secondly, fighting these idiots IS important. Would he rather everyone stand idly by while malignant dogmatists try to gain control of a large portion of the community, and dictate its evolution?

All in all, a fail. A boring fail.


I just read the transcript and thought it was a good point. But your answers are good too.

Additionally, remember who is trying to ban who, who is trying to make who a "pariah". Maybe some people here think that the FC(n) should shut up or maybe just stop getting speaking gigs, but I haven't heard anyone say that they shouldn't be allowed to attend at all, that they should be banned from the community entirely. But that *is* what they are saying about us. We make fun of them, but our problem is with their ideas and what they say, they have a problem with us even existing in their sight. Not fighting them doesn't just mean that dogmatism takes over the community, it also means that anyone who was marked as an unperson will be expelled.
"Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes."
Charitable interpretation of Elevator Guy.
"They" pronouns please.
User avatar
LMU
.
.
 
Posts: 617
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:40 am

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Postby Mykeru » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:48 am  •  [Post 2245]

Image
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -- H.L. Mencken
User avatar
Mykeru
.
.
 
Posts: 4073
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:52 am

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Postby Zenspace » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:48 am  •  [Post 2246]

somedumbguy wrote:My vote would be "PZ's lesser hemorrhoid"


Oh! I'm liking that one! :mrgreen:
“Girls have got balls. They're just a little higher up, that's all.” ― Joan Jett
User avatar
Zenspace
.
.
 
Posts: 907
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:13 pm

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Postby LMU » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:50 am  •  [Post 2247]

Lsuoma wrote:[spoiler]
AbsurdWalls wrote:
irkthepurists wrote:Are people saying the limerick would have been sexist and problematic even if it hadn't referenced/been directed at Buckle? If it had been in a limericks thread in General Chat or something?

The first time I read, it, I just took it as a reference to bankers, the villains of our times, being tiresome people. Then I wondered if the final line was a reference to abuse. It's ambiguous, though, which is something no good limerick should ever be.


On no account must we allow innuendo in our ribald poetry! Somebody at jref has pointed out that the reaction to this limerick is a manifestation of erotophobia, which is a form of oppression.
[/spoiler]
PeeZus Christ, do these people never laugh? It must be phenomenally tiring to be so serious 24x7.


I believe I read somewhere that laughing was connected to feeling safe. If so what would it mean if no one laughs in your "safe space"?
"Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes."
Charitable interpretation of Elevator Guy.
"They" pronouns please.
User avatar
LMU
.
.
 
Posts: 617
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:40 am

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Postby AbsurdWalls » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:56 am  •  [Post 2248]

LMU wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:[spoiler]
AbsurdWalls wrote:
irkthepurists wrote:Are people saying the limerick would have been sexist and problematic even if it hadn't referenced/been directed at Buckle? If it had been in a limericks thread in General Chat or something?

The first time I read, it, I just took it as a reference to bankers, the villains of our times, being tiresome people. Then I wondered if the final line was a reference to abuse. It's ambiguous, though, which is something no good limerick should ever be.


On no account must we allow innuendo in our ribald poetry! Somebody at jref has pointed out that the reaction to this limerick is a manifestation of erotophobia, which is a form of oppression.
[/spoiler]
PeeZus Christ, do these people never laugh? It must be phenomenally tiring to be so serious 24x7.


I believe I read somewhere that laughing was connected to feeling safe. If so what would it mean if no one laughs in your "safe space"?


Laughter is a social cue for inclusion, I think. Sharing a joke with somebody implies acceptance, shared values, etc. People who are victims of bullying often feel they have to force laughter at it to try to defuse it and get the bullies on-side.

For A+, their humourlessness is a shield against members of the outgroup. No joke that the "other" makes can be found funny, because their thought patterns MUST remain alien to members of the ingroup at risk of CONTAMINATION.
http://slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=82996#p82996
"... a tour de force." - Cunning Punt
User avatar
AbsurdWalls
.
.
 
Posts: 863
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:50 pm

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Postby Mykeru » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:57 am  •  [Post 2249]

LMU wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:[spoiler]
AbsurdWalls wrote:
irkthepurists wrote:Are people saying the limerick would have been sexist and problematic even if it hadn't referenced/been directed at Buckle? If it had been in a limericks thread in General Chat or something?

The first time I read, it, I just took it as a reference to bankers, the villains of our times, being tiresome people. Then I wondered if the final line was a reference to abuse. It's ambiguous, though, which is something no good limerick should ever be.


On no account must we allow innuendo in our ribald poetry! Somebody at jref has pointed out that the reaction to this limerick is a manifestation of erotophobia, which is a form of oppression.
[/spoiler]
PeeZus Christ, do these people never laugh? It must be phenomenally tiring to be so serious 24x7.


I believe I read somewhere that laughing was connected to feeling safe. If so what would it mean if no one laughs in your "safe space"?


[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -- H.L. Mencken
User avatar
Mykeru
.
.
 
Posts: 4073
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:52 am

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Postby AbsurdWalls » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:58 am  •  [Post 2250]

Sharing a joke is often a first step towards the breakdown of dividing barriers in society. Because of that, I think a good chance of healing the rift in this community lies in making people laugh.
http://slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=82996#p82996
"... a tour de force." - Cunning Punt
User avatar
AbsurdWalls
.
.
 
Posts: 863
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:50 pm

Re: Stop the Drama

Postby decius » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:00 am  •  [Post 2251]

Gumby wrote:
Some lurker wrote:Relevent:
A desperate plea from an ex-muslim
Y8LaNTrLeKU


A monotonous, droning rendition of "Dear Muslima", followed by whining. It's nice to see more people pointing out the ridiculousness that the FtB/Skepchick/A+ crowd is perpetrating, but man, that's eight minutes and 33 seconds of my life I'd like to get back.

Plus, he misses the point totally.

First of all, most of the atheist community is not involved in this bruhaha - only a relatively small portion is, either pro or con.

Secondly, fighting these idiots IS important. Would he rather everyone stand idly by while malignant dogmatists try to gain control of a large portion of the community, and dictate its evolution?

All in all, a fail. A boring fail.


Long-winded and echoing Dear Muslima, but correct, IMO.

It isn't true that only a minority is involved, unless you factor in inactive and apathetic atheists. This is influencing the organisers and has an impact on current and future shape of events.
Also, the 'leaders' are watching and following, even if many wish this would go away and choose not to get too involved.
Think about it, virtually all of them has commented at one point or another.
User avatar
decius
.
.
 
Posts: 1361
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:08 am

Re: Stop the Drama

Postby Gumby » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:11 am  •  [Post 2252]

LMU wrote:I just read the transcript and thought it was a good point. But your answers are good too.

Additionally, remember who is trying to ban who, who is trying to make who a "pariah". Maybe some people here think that the FC(n) should shut up or maybe just stop getting speaking gigs, but I haven't heard anyone say that they shouldn't be allowed to attend at all, that they should be banned from the community entirely. But that *is* what they are saying about us. We make fun of them, but our problem is with their ideas and what they say, they have a problem with us even existing in their sight. Not fighting them doesn't just mean that dogmatism takes over the community, it also means that anyone who was marked as an unperson will be expelled.


My attitude is that in their current sorry state, the FTB/Skepchick/A+ people do not deserve to be speakers at events. But this opinion of mine is not based on personal animus, despite the contempt I hold for most of them. It's based on the fact that what they talk about is either

A) Not relevant to skeptic/atheist events. (Feminist issues, and "People are mean to me on the Internet" wharrgarbl).
B) Poorly researched and even more poorly delivered unscientific rubbish googled-up at the last minute. Evo-psych, anyone?

This crap has no place at convention speaker podiums, but unfortunately the organizers currently seem to be succumbing to the temptation to cater to the cults of personality that exist in the community. They're dumbing down their conventions in order to provide a sense of supposed "big name celebrity" speakers, and sacrificing quality and interesting presentations by qualified speakers in the name of larger attendance statistics. So really, the people who organize these things have to take as much blame as the idiots who stumble up to the mic and blather out irrelevant and incoherent messes.

This is NOT my saying these people should be banned or made pariahs. That's THEIR tactic, not mine. This is about wanting the A/S community to get back on track. If all of a sudden PZ, Rebecca, et al would stop trying to hijack the community with this militant radfem garbage, and started giving quality presentations that were within the scope of issues that are actually relevant to the community, I'd have absolutely no problem with them stepping up to the mic. But they're never going to change their awful ways, so we continue speak out against them.

The sad thing is, they have already gotten what they claimed was all they wanted - almost all conventions already had adequate harassment policies in place, and some orgs even modified their existing policies to better placate the hysterical shriekers. But they carry on like nothing has changed, still malign the community as a bunch of rapey harassers, and they're now demanding more and more.

They do not deserve to be rewarded for biting the hand that feeds them by shoving microphones into their faces at conventions.
Just because you shot Jesse James, don’t make you Jesse James.
User avatar
Gumby
.
.
 
Posts: 4241
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:40 am

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Postby Gumby » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:13 am  •  [Post 2253]

AbsurdWalls wrote:For A+, their humourlessness is a shield against members of the outgroup. No joke that the "other" makes can be found funny, because their thought patterns MUST remain alien to members of the ingroup at risk of CONTAMINATION.


That's a much more concise and elegant way of saying exactly what I said the other day.
Just because you shot Jesse James, don’t make you Jesse James.
User avatar
Gumby
.
.
 
Posts: 4241
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:40 am

Re: Stop the Drama

Postby Gumby » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:15 am  •  [Post 2254]

decius wrote:
Gumby wrote:
Some lurker wrote:Relevent:
A desperate plea from an ex-muslim
Y8LaNTrLeKU


A monotonous, droning rendition of "Dear Muslima", followed by whining. It's nice to see more people pointing out the ridiculousness that the FtB/Skepchick/A+ crowd is perpetrating, but man, that's eight minutes and 33 seconds of my life I'd like to get back.

Plus, he misses the point totally.

First of all, most of the atheist community is not involved in this bruhaha - only a relatively small portion is, either pro or con.

Secondly, fighting these idiots IS important. Would he rather everyone stand idly by while malignant dogmatists try to gain control of a large portion of the community, and dictate its evolution?

All in all, a fail. A boring fail.


Long-winded and echoing Dear Muslima, but correct, IMO.

It isn't true that only a minority is involved, unless you factor in inactive and apathetic atheists. This is influencing the organisers and has an impact on current and future shape of events.
Also, the 'leaders' are watching and following, even if many wish this would go away and choose not to get too involved.
Think about it, virtually all of them has commented at one point or another.


I was thinking of all atheist and skeptics, not just active and involved ones, but yeah I see your point, thanks for the correction.
Just because you shot Jesse James, don’t make you Jesse James.
User avatar
Gumby
.
.
 
Posts: 4241
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:40 am

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Postby Bhurzum » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:21 am  •  [Post 2255]

Hi folks.

Decided to cast off my lurker status and register.

Just thought I'd use my first post to say how good the latest Al Stefanelli video is.

It's A+ (crappy pun intended)
"Every time I see Greta Christina I can smell cabbages" - YT User "Supermaroilogan"
User avatar
Bhurzum
.
.
 
Posts: 448
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:08 am
Location: Lurking in a dumpster

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Postby mutleyeng » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:22 am  •  [Post 2256]

I'd be happy if they just stopped trying to call themselves skeptics... then they can say what the feck they like.
Being an Atheist does not maketh a skeptic
User avatar
mutleyeng
.
.
 
Posts: 333
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:32 am

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Postby Gumby » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:23 am  •  [Post 2257]

Welcome Bhurzum!

And yeah, Al rocks.
Just because you shot Jesse James, don’t make you Jesse James.
User avatar
Gumby
.
.
 
Posts: 4241
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:40 am

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Postby masakari2012 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:23 am  •  [Post 2258]

Tfoot wrote:[spoiler]For epic lulz!
1) PZ on why online polls are utterly pointless.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jszbryanTeU&t=15m33s

2) On why signing a online petition, which he calls 'sort of a poll' is actually really important
http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... /#comments

FYI, the reason I dont rip people like myers a new asshole over this is because I really think the guy is finished. Look at his EPIC attempt at 'pharyngulation'. 1 like on facebook, 2 tweets, zero on google+ and a mighty 14 comments. Thats not merely being greeted with apathy and disinterest, thats being greeted by the gentle sound of wind on the high plains and tumble weed idling by in the foreground.

The most devastating blow that myers, benson, zvan and roth can throw has exactly zero effect. Between them they can just about scratch together 1000 signatures for an online petition.

But even IF they could get their wish and all these secular leaders turned their backs on me, how would this stop me from making videos? How is getting people I scarcely know to 'shun' me meant to change my mind?

Its kinda like a+thesim all over again![/spoiler]


I know it's silly to get into the poll-wars, but I'm sure that someone with your subscription numbers could get more signatures for a counter poll, if only to prove a point. Also, if such a poll happened, I'm also sure that many of atheists in the community who have a lot of subscribers would also talk about this, thus boosting the numbers.

A while back, the Slyme Pit tried a counter petition to Zvan's petition to have Justin Vacula removed from the SCA, but we are merely a small group of internet commandos, and lack the numbers.
“I want to do whatever it takes to make sure that he [thunderf00t] is essentially drummed out of this movement, never invited to speak anywhere again and is forever a pariah.” - Ed Brayton
User avatar
masakari2012
.
.
 
Posts: 330
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:14 pm

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Postby Al Stefanelli » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:24 am  •  [Post 2259]

Thanks for the comments and shit on my video, people. I saw that petition and just couldn't remain silent.
User avatar
Al Stefanelli
.
.
 
Posts: 780
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:55 am
Location: Peachtree City, GA

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Postby LMU » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:25 am  •  [Post 2260]

Bhurzum wrote:Hi folks.

Decided to cast off my lurker status and register.

Just thought I'd use my first post to say how good the latest Al Stefanelli video is.

It's A+ (crappy pun intended)


Hello and welcome! :) And hi to all the lurkers out there! Please feel free to say hello and comment whether or not you agree or disagree, you don't even need to register! The worst that can happen is that we'll call you names and/or FTB et al will try to have you made into a pariah.
"Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes."
Charitable interpretation of Elevator Guy.
"They" pronouns please.
User avatar
LMU
.
.
 
Posts: 617
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:40 am

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Postby decius » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:26 am  •  [Post 2261]

Gumby, I see also yours. It is pious nonsense to hope for the other side to back down and admit that their ideology is irrelevant to the movement. Our ex-muslim friend will have to wait for as long as it takes to restore sanity.
User avatar
decius
.
.
 
Posts: 1361
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:08 am

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Postby Mykeru » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:30 am  •  [Post 2262]

LMU wrote:
Bhurzum wrote:Hi folks.

Decided to cast off my lurker status and register.

Just thought I'd use my first post to say how good the latest Al Stefanelli video is.

It's A+ (crappy pun intended)


Hello and welcome! :) And hi to all the lurkers out there! Please feel free to say hello and comment whether or not you agree or disagree, you don't even need to register! The worst that can happen is that we'll call you names and/or FTB et al will try to have you made into a pariah.


Yes, remember lurkers: You can post on the Atheism Plus forum and comment on Freethought Blogs and we will still let you post here.

However, it doesn't work the other way around. Mostly because the baboons are so much more confident and moral than we are.

Bhurzum wrote:It's A+ (crappy pun intended)


Except for you. You must die for that.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -- H.L. Mencken
User avatar
Mykeru
.
.
 
Posts: 4073
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:52 am

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Postby Bhurzum » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:33 am  •  [Post 2263]

Mykeru wrote: Except for you. You must die for that.


I knew my opening post would drop me in the shit :lol:
"Every time I see Greta Christina I can smell cabbages" - YT User "Supermaroilogan"
User avatar
Bhurzum
.
.
 
Posts: 448
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:08 am
Location: Lurking in a dumpster

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Postby Pitchguest » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:33 am  •  [Post 2264]

Aron Ra's wife has drunk the Koolaid at last, it seems. I can't quite bring it to words, but I'm really disappointed. I thought they were beyond that crap. I was wrong.

link: http://www.freezepage.com/1358003517LNHVLALJTJ

direct link: http://freethoughtblogs.com/aronra/2013 ... m-deniers/

She claims widespread sexism in the secular community, links to Lousy Canuck and his "timeline" when people ask for evidence and accuses people of tone-trolling.

I was permanently banned, by the way, for making this comment:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/aronra/2013 ... ment-14214

[spoiler]
To lilandra: Then maybe you could provide some substantive evidence to support your assertions. I’m still wondering why you decided to delve into this issue now, since I figured you and Aron were clever enough to stay out of the bullshit that’s accumulated. But since you’re here, I might as well ask: what proof do you have that women are being treated badly in the atheist/sceptic community? Surely you musn’t be talking about the occasional offhand comment here and there, the occasional trollish comment here and there, you must be talking about a systematic oppression within the atheist/sceptic community. So, show us your findings. Because you’re not seriously suggesting that some YouTube comments about Rebecca Watson is proof that women are being ill treated, are you? Not that criticising Rebecca Watson harshly or otherwise is proof of anything in the realm of sexism or misogyny anyway, unless you’re also suggesting we treat women differently because they’re women?

If I call Rebecca Watson a fraud and a huckster, am I somehow calling women frauds and hucksters across the board? No? Then perhaps you need better documentation, lilandra. Where is this widespread condemnation of women within the atheist/sceptic community that you speak of? I see that you think we should speak more about the way women are treated in the secular community (treated badly, I presume, by the nature of this blog post) but I notice that you’re not suggesting anything yourself what to do about it, it’s just platitude and nothing really constructive. You also claim we’re shushing people (and by people I assume you mean women) and unsurprisingly, there is no evidence for that either. I sure as hell am not shushing people (or women for that matter), in fact I’m very interested in what you have to say. Although whenever I express my interest for a woman to prove her assertions of oppression, they soon double down and accuse me of being a misogynist, sexist, a hypersceptic, whatever, and the questions asked and the manner in which it’s asked is similar to the way I’m asking you right now, so you have to admit that kind of rhetoric also isn’t helping.

The irony is that for this post, I will likely be bogged down by comments saying the exact same thing – probably by douglas or someone with the same mindframe. Feel free to prove me wrong.
[/spoiler]

Before I noticed I was banned, I made a pretty long post but forgot to copy it before I hit submit. It didn't show up. Anyway, it had something to do with this comment:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/aronra/2013 ... ment-14116

lilandra wrote:Amazingly we have wound up discussing Elevatorgate disproportionately as the OP predicted.


and this subsequent one,

lilandra wrote:There is a real issue that the OP is about sexism denialism. The people who are misrepresenting ElevatorGate and talking about it as if it is thought of as harassment are usually sexism deniers. Sometimes no amount of help like debunking bad information is going to get through to someone in denial. That is not who I wrote this for, I wrote it for people who need more information to make up their minds.


Where I called her on her bullshit. It was a pretty scathing too, so I'm a bit disappointed it got memoryholed. Then again, right now I'm just generally disappointed anyway.
"But suppose you throw a coin enough times, suppose one day . . . it lands on its edge."
--Amy Hennig, Soul Reaver 2

Avatar credit to tklmac (and Jan Steen) AND ANERIS (!)
User avatar
Pitchguest
.
.
 
Posts: 2645
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:44 pm

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Postby Lsuoma » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:37 am  •  [Post 2265]

decius wrote:Gumby, I see also yours. It is pious nonsense to hope for the other side to back down and admit that their ideology is irrelevant to the movement. Our ex-muslim friend will have to wait for as long as it takes to restore sanity.

"Ah! Just time for another bath. Pass me the sponge, somebody, would you?"
Call me old-fashioned, but I like a dump to be as memorable as it is devastating.
User avatar
Lsuoma
Fascist Tit
 
Posts: 4811
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:58 pm
Location: Pacific NW

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Postby Tigzy » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:37 am  •  [Post 2266]

Welcome Bhurzum. Aphex Twin fan by any chance?

It's a constant source of regret to me that FTB doesn't include BB codes, because I would love to take a massive shit in Ophelia's back yard by dumping the Windowlicker vid on her blog.
"It should be noted that among the more alarming tendencies of those men who participate in train-spotters' groups, one will also find a complete disinclination to discuss feminism or women's issues."

Isobel Shed, feminist, 1959
User avatar
Tigzy
.
.
 
Posts: 3139
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:53 am

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Postby Lsuoma » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:39 am  •  [Post 2267]

Bhurzum wrote:
Mykeru wrote: Except for you. You must die for that.


I knew my opening post would drop me in the shit :lol:

Don't worby about old Mykers: he's always like that...

BTW, are you REALLY luking in a dumpster? Mark Hammill probably ought to be informed.
Call me old-fashioned, but I like a dump to be as memorable as it is devastating.
User avatar
Lsuoma
Fascist Tit
 
Posts: 4811
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:58 pm
Location: Pacific NW

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Postby Gumby » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:41 am  •  [Post 2268]

lilandra wrote:There is a real issue that the OP is about sexism denialism. The people who are misrepresenting ElevatorGate and talking about it as if it is thought of as harassment are usually sexism deniers. Sometimes no amount of help like debunking bad information is going to get through to someone in denial. That is not who I wrote this for, I wrote it for people who need more information to make up their minds.


Translation:

Since I don't have any actual evidence of rampant harassment and sexism within the community with which to satisfy actual skeptics, I'm simply going to keep feeding everyone else bullshit propaganda.


Welcome to the cult, lilandra.
Just because you shot Jesse James, don’t make you Jesse James.
User avatar
Gumby
.
.
 
Posts: 4241
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:40 am

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Postby Lsuoma » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:44 am  •  [Post 2269]

Tigzy wrote:It's a constant source of regret to me that FTB doesn't include BB codes, because I would love to take a massive shit in Ophelia's back yard by dumping the Windowlicker vid on her blog.

Can you use html tags? just use object.

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" style="width:425px; height:350px;" data="http://www.youtube.com/v/xxxxxxxxx"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xxxxxxxxx" /></object>

xxxxxxxxx would be the video id.
Call me old-fashioned, but I like a dump to be as memorable as it is devastating.
User avatar
Lsuoma
Fascist Tit
 
Posts: 4811
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:58 pm
Location: Pacific NW

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Postby ERV » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:48 am  •  [Post 2270]

1. Am I misremembering this-- Or arent Adam Lee and Twatson dating?


2. And influenza! I forgot to say something!

Well, I study HIV, not influenza, so my answer isnt going to be as elaborate as you might want/expect :P

Asymptomatic influenza doesnt make sense.

The symptoms is how influenza is spread (coughing/sneezing/etc), to the point where we have to use ferrets as small animal models because they are the only little guys who sneeze. It doesnt spread if the mice/rats/etc arent sneezing.

Its not like asymptomatic herpes or HIV, which could still be shedding/transmitting even though you arent showing symptoms.

Its possible that either by chance or genetics, you havent gotten the flu. One of my research mentors is one of The Big Dogs in flu research, and she has never gotten the flu or the vaccine! No clue!

BUT

What can happen is that if you do get the flu, you might be a healthy, 'normal' person who gets 'sick' but can recover just fine. But you could transmit to someone who ISNT and get them REALLY sick, send them to the hospital, kill them.

Here is an article I wrote last year about whether you NEED to get the vaccine or not:
Q&A: Immune system ‘strength’ & influenza
User avatar
ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!
 
Posts: 1197
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:57 pm

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Postby Gumby » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:48 am  •  [Post 2271]

Lsuoma wrote:
decius wrote:Gumby, I see also yours. It is pious nonsense to hope for the other side to back down and admit that their ideology is irrelevant to the movement. Our ex-muslim friend will have to wait for as long as it takes to restore sanity.

"Ah! Just time for another bath. Pass me the sponge, somebody, would you?"


It's been a long time since I read that book so I had to look it up in order to figure out what the fuck you were trying to say.

FORD:
Well I have got news, I have got news for you. It doesn’t matter a pair feted dingo’s kidneys what you all choose to do from now on. Burn down the forests, anything. It won’t make a scrap of difference. Two-million years you’ve got, and that’s it. At the end of that, your race will be dead, gone, and good-riddance to you. Remember that. Two. Million. Years.

CAPTAIN:
Ah. It’s time for another bath. Hmph. Pass me the sponge somebody will you?
Just because you shot Jesse James, don’t make you Jesse James.
User avatar
Gumby
.
.
 
Posts: 4241
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:40 am

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Postby decius » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:48 am  •  [Post 2272]

Pitchguest wrote:Aron Ra's wife has drunk the Koolaid at last, it seems. I can't quite bring it to words, but I'm really disappointed. I thought they were beyond that crap. I was wrong.



Any residual upright and intellectually-honest blogger would have left the echo chambers of FTB by now. It isn't by reason of guilt by association, it's by morally-necessary dissociation from bigotry.
There's a point beyond which one becomes complicit to assault on reason and decency by simply flying a banner.
User avatar
decius
.
.
 
Posts: 1361
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:08 am

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Postby Bhurzum » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:49 am  •  [Post 2273]

Tigzy wrote:Welcome Bhurzum. Aphex Twin fan by any chance?


Not really.

I'm a massive fan of the videos created/directed by Chris Cunningham though. If you could record the most horrendous nightmare imaginable and play it on YT, you'd end up with a Chris Cunningham video. Well, that or a Greta Christina "toilet-cam" sequence.

I'll let you decide which would be worse...
"Every time I see Greta Christina I can smell cabbages" - YT User "Supermaroilogan"
User avatar
Bhurzum
.
.
 
Posts: 448
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:08 am
Location: Lurking in a dumpster

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Postby AbsurdWalls » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:50 am  •  [Post 2274]

Lsuoma wrote:
Tigzy wrote:It's a constant source of regret to me that FTB doesn't include BB codes, because I would love to take a massive shit in Ophelia's back yard by dumping the Windowlicker vid on her blog.

Can you use html tags? just use object.

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" style="width:425px; height:350px;" data="http://www.youtube.com/v/xxxxxxxxx"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xxxxxxxxx" /></object>

xxxxxxxxx would be the video id.


My suspicion is that it's a limited set of html tags. Even <br /> is filtered.
http://slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=82996#p82996
"... a tour de force." - Cunning Punt
User avatar
AbsurdWalls
.
.
 
Posts: 863
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:50 pm

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Postby Zenspace » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:52 am  •  [Post 2275]

Bhurzum wrote:Hi folks.

Decided to cast off my lurker status and register.

Just thought I'd use my first post to say how good the latest Al Stefanelli video is.

It's A+ (crappy pun intended)


Welcome to the Pyt, Bhurzum. Remember to gird your loins and enjoy the ride!

And, yes, Al is a master of the awesome.
“Girls have got balls. They're just a little higher up, that's all.” ― Joan Jett
User avatar
Zenspace
.
.
 
Posts: 907
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:13 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Periodic Table of Swearing - The Undead Thread

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Easy J, Mykeru, Old_ones, Presto [PANIC], Ravage and 7 guests