The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Old subthreads
Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Post by Gumby »

Al Stefanelli wrote:Adam Lee's Redundant Petition of Redundant Redundancy

[youtube]IFOHOUqDE3k[/youtube]
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd24 ... d1b16a.gif

That hit the fucking bullseye Al. You should send a link to this to everyone on the recipient list of that ludicrous petition.

Karmakin

Post by Karmakin »

Michael K Gray wrote:Now, I AM most certainly privileged:
Private-school educated in a secure & prosperous country.
Free University education.
Self-employed as managing director of my own hi-tech company, yada yada.
Hob-nobbing with the elite of society whom were my my parent's acquaintances, and all that.

But absolutely NOTHING about which these SJWs applies to me, apart from the fact that as a birthday present I was given testicles.

But, I am still in a quandary as to what "check" means in this expression.
Is it "check" as in cloak-room, like 'leave it at the door'?
Is it "check" as in 'inspect'?
Is it "check" as in 'tick off a list' in a perfunctory manner?
Is it "check" as in 'match an opponent's move'?

I remain in a quandary.
As you employed the phrase, you must surely know what it means.
Please explain.
Well, there's what they say it means and what they actually mean by it. BTW, the answer to the above is "check" as in "inspect".

What they say it means, is that if you are not yourself part of an oppressed group, and if you have a differing opinion, it's because you don't have the "lived experience" and as such you need to take the word of people who are in said group as absolute truth, and as such you should just stand down and read and listen and learn from the people with said experiences.

What it actually means is two-fold, depending on the usage. The first actual meaning, is that as you are a member of a "privileged" group, you are obviously a horrible human being and as such anything you say is entirely meaningless, because you're just trying to hold on to your power/advantage.

The second actual meaning is JUST SHUT UP THAT'S WHY. Instead of having an actual argument against what one is saying, it's a way to shut down any sort of debate so they don't have to see people who disagree with what they are saying.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Zenspace wrote:
Al Stefanelli wrote:Adam Lee's Redundant Petition of Redundant Redundancy

[youtube]IFOHOUqDE3k
Dayum, Al! I do love it when you get on a roll - and that was a good damn roll! That vid needs to get a LOT of exposure. Really well done! :clap: :dance: :clap: :dance: :clap: :dance:
Al Stefanelli: Gets more done after a COPD attack than most people do all day.

LMU

Post by LMU »

Michael K Gray wrote:
Guest wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:But, I am still in a quandary as to what "check" means in this expression.
Is it "check" as in cloak-room, like 'leave it at the door'?
Is it "check" as in 'inspect'?
Is it "check" as in 'tick off a list' in a perfunctory manner?
Is it "check" as in 'match an opponent's move'?

I remain in a quandary.
As you employed the phrase, you must surely know what it means.
Please explain.
I have heard the A+ers using the phrase "check your privilege at the door", although this doesn't rule out the other senses of the word "check". Apart from that I think I'm as confused as you are.
Then that rules out interminable games of chess by which to ward off the oolong dark tea-time of their souls, eh?
Check mate, I think.
I always thought it was "check" as in "inspect." The main idea of privilege, as I understand it, is that it is harder to understand someone else's point of view if they have a different set of privileges as you, and you should be aware of that. It shouldn't be a conversation stopper or a rhetorical bludgeon which is how it is often used.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Michael K Gray wrote:I have been the "owner" of some 15 or 16 equines in my time, and none has even vaguely resembled Jen.
Admit it: you are "getting on the boat" of dogpiling McCrieght as regards what you see as her involuntarily acquired facial characteristics.

Please keep it to yourself, or:
Grow the fuck up.
Sorry, MKG - I do appear to have hit a sore point here with you.

I apologise unreservedly for the inadvertant suggestion that your horses might have in any way resembled Jen McCreight.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Karmakin wrote:...The first actual meaning, is that as you are a member of a "privileged" group, you are obviously a horrible human being and as such anything you say is entirely meaningless, because you're just trying to hold on to your power/advantage.
Then that must be my interpretation, as I am a member of a "privileged" group.
Although I am actively trying to shed said privilege, rather unsuccessfully I might add, how far must I drop before I gain pity-points?
I acquired right-sided hemiplegia in 1996, for all the pity points that such is worth.
And I get a mild headache when I am FORCED AGAINST MY WILL to listen to elevator music.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

comslave wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:
justinvacula wrote:...but of course Elevatorguy, if he existed, couldn't just be socially awkward.
"Elevator Guy" is far more fictional than Santa or the Tooth Fairy.

In the age of the internet, with a limited number of suspects, elevatorguy remains unknown. Nice try, Becky. Maybe you should hire an actor to play the part.
That's what I've said all along. No one with as much notoriety as ElevatorGuy stays anonymous on the Internet for long. Either he comes out, or someone outs him. ElevatorGuy does not exist. He's a complete fabrication designed to further an agenda.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd24 ... be796f.jpg

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Tigzy wrote:I apologise unreservedly for the inadvertant suggestion that your horses might have in any way resembled Jen McCreight.
Trust me mate.
If any of my mares had the pulchritudinous body of Jen McC, I'd have sired more foals than Phar Lap.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Ape+lust wrote:
AbsurdWalls wrote:
aweraw wrote:
Tigzy wrote:I'm pretty sure that Annathebot is a poe
The truth is far more scary. That's RobotAnna. Anyone familiar with the SJW crazies on reddit knows who that scary indiviual is. A known lunatic.
Holy fuckballs.
Fuckballs is right. She has her own subreddit.

http://www.reddit.com/r/RobotAnna/
RobotAnna wrote:Rules
1. You will be banned.
I dunno - these poe parodyists can be pretty dedicated.

Then again, maybe I just don't want to believe she's real.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Michael K Gray wrote:
Tigzy wrote:I apologise unreservedly for the inadvertant suggestion that your horses might have in any way resembled Jen McCreight.
Trust me mate.
If any of my mares had the pulchritudinous body of Jen McC, I'd have sired more foals than Phar Lap.
http://therantommenace.files.wordpress. ... _meme1.png

Some lurker

Stop the Drama

Post by Some lurker »

Relevent:
A desperate plea from an ex-muslim
[youtube]Y8LaNTrLeKU[/youtube]

16bitheretic

Post by 16bitheretic »

Karmakin wrote: The second actual meaning is JUST SHUT UP THAT'S WHY. Instead of having an actual argument against what one is saying, it's a way to shut down any sort of debate so they don't have to see people who disagree with what they are saying.
Exactly.

Much like my rant a few pages back about the patriarchy, privilege is something which if defined correctly is real and is worth study in terms of demographics.

However, just like patriarchy, which in the hands of these radfems turns from a demographic study of society which indicates that typically men hold positions of political and corporate power more than women on average and instead becomes a conspiracy theory of the Alex Jones stripe, the idea of privilege takes on a whole new meaning as well with these same people. In their arms race of oppression, where the goal is to gain status within the insular community by adding more demographics handicaps and victimhood attributes to their overall oppression rating, any potential checkbox of privilege becomes an attacking point to your very right to exist in their space and be able to engage in any dialogue at all.

If someone by their race, gender, sexual orientation, class, health, gender identity and expression or any other noticeable feature is deemed to have a higher number of privilege checkboxes marked, then by all means they are to be discredited automatically if they even so much as dare to even think differently about a subject. It's the classic stick the fingers in the ear "LALALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU! SHUT THE FUCK UP AND STOP STOP DISAGREEING WITH MY ESTABLISHED VIEWPOINTS! LALALALALALA!!"

It's absolutely astonishing how some of these people make it through life.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Re: Stop the Drama

Post by Gumby »

Some lurker wrote:Relevent:
Y8LaNTrLeKU
A monotonous, droning rendition of "Dear Muslima", followed by whining. It's nice to see more people pointing out the ridiculousness that the FtB/Skepchick/A+ crowd is perpetrating, but man, that's eight minutes and 33 seconds of my life I'd like to get back.

Plus, he misses the point totally.

First of all, most of the atheist community is not involved in this bruhaha - only a relatively small portion is, either pro or con.

Secondly, fighting these idiots IS important. Would he rather everyone stand idly by while malignant dogmatists try to gain control of a large portion of the community, and dictate its evolution?

All in all, a fail. A boring fail.

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

Tfoot wrote:For epic lulz!
1) PZ on why online polls are utterly pointless.

2) On why signing a online petition, which he calls 'sort of a poll' is actually really important
http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... /#comments

FYI, the reason I dont rip people like myers a new asshole over this is because I really think the guy is finished. Look at his EPIC attempt at 'pharyngulation'. 1 like on facebook, 2 tweets, zero on google+ and a mighty 14 comments. Thats not merely being greeted with apathy and disinterest, thats being greeted by the gentle sound of wind on the high plains and tumble weed idling by in the foreground.

The most devastating blow that myers, benson, zvan and roth can throw has exactly zero effect. Between them they can just about scratch together 1000 signatures for an online petition.

But even IF they could get their wish and all these secular leaders turned their backs on me, how would this stop me from making videos? How is getting people I scarcely know to 'shun' me meant to change my mind?

Its kinda like a+thesim all over again!
I have always felt that shunning is a tactic religious groups use. The Mormons use it for example.
This is a nice article on it I found on google.
http://theovereducatedhousewife.blogspo ... nning.html

It confirms what a lot of us have been saying. FtB and A+ are cults and perhaps religious cults at that.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Michael K Gray wrote:
Gumby wrote:Name one accusation they have ever made, ever, that they have provided the slightest fucking shred of evidence for. Elevatorgate?
No. But they have provided a veritable mountain of evidence against the corporeal presence of the Satan of stairlifts, the Beelzebub of bannisters, the Elf of elevators, the Lucifer of Lifts, the Antichrist of erm, erm, 'thingies'.
BTW, nice to see you back, MKG.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Has to be said, Peezee's demonisation of his critics is reaching laughably desperate levels:

We are, apparently, 'a small group of Mabusesque obsessive haters'

This would be down to all the Nostradamus fans we have here, I guess.

Oh, and in case anyone was wondering if he had the Pyt in mind, here makes it clear in the comments section, in his response to Caine, Fleur Du Flerdydurdy:
PZ Myers

11 January 2013 at 9:34 pm (UTC -6)

They already did! They called it Slymepit, and I’ll give them this, the name is perfect.
http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... l-isnt-it/

It'll be full-on Godwinning next - I'd bank on it.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Tigzy wrote:Has to be said, Peezee's demonisation of his critics is reaching laughably desperate levels:

We are, apparently, 'a small group of Mabusesque obsessive haters'

This would be down to all the Nostradamus fans we have here, I guess.

Oh, and in case anyone was wondering if he had the Pyt in mind, here makes it clear in the comments section, in his response to Caine, Fleur Du Flerdydurdy:
PZ Myers

11 January 2013 at 9:34 pm (UTC -6)

They already did! They called it Slymepit, and I’ll give them this, the name is perfect.
http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... l-isnt-it/

It'll be full-on Godwinning next - I'd bank on it.
Actually, I believe it was one of Peezus's commenters who bestowed the appellation of "Slime Pit" upon the group, when it was at Abbie's blog. Not that it really matters.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Demonization of their critics is all they have. They try their best to cast us in this evil rapey misogynistic light, so that they can somehow look good by comparison. Um, it's not working PZ. All it does is make more people sign up at this place once they come here and see for themselves it's nothing like the lies you put out.

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

irkthepurists wrote:Are people saying the limerick would have been sexist and problematic even if it hadn't referenced/been directed at Buckle? If it had been in a limericks thread in General Chat or something?

The first time I read, it, I just took it as a reference to bankers, the villains of our times, being tiresome people. Then I wondered if the final line was a reference to abuse. It's ambiguous, though, which is something no good limerick should ever be.
On no account must we allow innuendo in our ribald poetry! Somebody at jref has pointed out that the reaction to this limerick is a manifestation of erotophobia, which is a form of oppression.

So maybe Eowyn should check her goddamn fucking privilege!!!

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

At the time of writing, the Pit's newest member is Frank Miller.

Could it be...?

I know Miller has not been treated kindly by Peezee and his winnits in the past...

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

Gumby wrote:Demonization of their critics is all they have. They try their best to cast us in this evil rapey misogynistic light, so that they can somehow look good by comparison. Um, it's not working PZ. All it does is make more people sign up at this place once they come here and see for themselves it's nothing like the lies you put out.
Seeing as most new members join up after being accused of being 'pitters, my tagline suggestion is: "In for a penny..."

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

It has already been noted that Surly Amy doesn’t understand Venn diagrams. The following doesn’t make sense at all:

http://i.imgur.com/kIFPJ.png

http://skepchick.org/2013/01/will-there ... ly-grants/

This is saying, among other things, that all people with internet and too much free time, who are both atheists and skeptics, are assholes, and that no other people in those three sets are assholes. That is patently wrong. Can’t you see that you are claiming, for example, that all unemployed people with internet, who are both atheists and skeptics, are assholes? Surely, that is not what you mean.

Look, Surly, this is how a Venn diagram actually works:

http://i.imgur.com/ILZQg.png

As for the substance of your post, I disapprove of people who send you hate messages. Those who believe that such things are acceptable can find themselves in the second Venn diagram, in the intersection of 'fanatics' and 'people who can't think for themselves'. I call those people dangerous idiots. They don't have my sympathy.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

AbsurdWalls wrote:
irkthepurists wrote:Are people saying the limerick would have been sexist and problematic even if it hadn't referenced/been directed at Buckle? If it had been in a limericks thread in General Chat or something?

The first time I read, it, I just took it as a reference to bankers, the villains of our times, being tiresome people. Then I wondered if the final line was a reference to abuse. It's ambiguous, though, which is something no good limerick should ever be.
On no account must we allow innuendo in our ribald poetry! Somebody at jref has pointed out that the reaction to this limerick is a manifestation of erotophobia, which is a form of oppression.
PeeZus Christ, do these people never laugh? It must be phenomenally tiring to be so serious 24x7.

LMU

Post by LMU »

Gumby wrote:
Y8LaNTrLeKU
A monotonous, droning rendition of "Dear Muslima", followed by whining. It's nice to see more people pointing out the ridiculousness that the FtB/Skepchick/A+ crowd is perpetrating, but man, that's eight minutes and 33 seconds of my life I'd like to get back.

First of all, most of the atheist community is not involved in this bruhaha - only a relatively small portion is, either pro or con.

Secondly, fighting these idiots IS important. Would he rather everyone stand idly by while malignant dogmatists try to gain control of a large portion of the community, and dictate its evolution?

I just read the transcript and thought it was a good point. But your answers are good too.

Additionally, remember who is trying to ban who, who is trying to make who a "pariah". Maybe some people here think that the FC(n) should shut up or maybe just stop getting speaking gigs, but I haven't heard anyone say that they shouldn't be allowed to attend at all, that they should be banned from the community entirely. But that *is* what they are saying about us. We make fun of them, but our problem is with their ideas and what they say, they have a problem with us even existing in their sight. Not fighting them doesn't just mean that dogmatism takes over the community, it also means that anyone who was marked as an unperson will be expelled.

Zenspace

Post by Zenspace »

somedumbguy wrote:My vote would be "PZ's lesser hemorrhoid"
Oh! I'm liking that one! :mrgreen:

LMU

Post by LMU »

Lsuoma wrote:[spoiler]
AbsurdWalls wrote:

[/spoiler]
PeeZus Christ, do these people never laugh? It must be phenomenally tiring to be so serious 24x7.
I believe I read somewhere that laughing was connected to feeling safe. If so what would it mean if no one laughs in your "safe space"?

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

LMU wrote:
AbsurdWalls wrote:

[/spoiler]
I believe I read somewhere that laughing was connected to feeling safe. If so what would it mean if no one laughs in your "safe space"?
Laughter is a social cue for inclusion, I think. Sharing a joke with somebody implies acceptance, shared values, etc. People who are victims of bullying often feel they have to force laughter at it to try to defuse it and get the bullies on-side.

For A+, their humourlessness is a shield against members of the outgroup. No joke that the "other" makes can be found funny, because their thought patterns MUST remain alien to members of the ingroup at risk of CONTAMINATION.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

LMU wrote:
AbsurdWalls wrote:

[/spoiler]
[spoiler]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8082/8372 ... fd31_o.jpg[/spoiler]

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

Sharing a joke is often a first step towards the breakdown of dividing barriers in society. Because of that, I think a good chance of healing the rift in this community lies in making people laugh.

decius

Post by decius »

Gumby wrote:
Y8LaNTrLeKU

Long-winded and echoing Dear Muslima, but correct, IMO.

It isn't true that only a minority is involved, unless you factor in inactive and apathetic atheists. This is influencing the organisers and has an impact on current and future shape of events.
Also, the 'leaders' are watching and following, even if many wish this would go away and choose not to get too involved.
Think about it, virtually all of them has commented at one point or another.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

LMU wrote: I just read the transcript and thought it was a good point. But your answers are good too.

Additionally, remember who is trying to ban who, who is trying to make who a "pariah". Maybe some people here think that the FC(n) should shut up or maybe just stop getting speaking gigs, but I haven't heard anyone say that they shouldn't be allowed to attend at all, that they should be banned from the community entirely. But that *is* what they are saying about us. We make fun of them, but our problem is with their ideas and what they say, they have a problem with us even existing in their sight. Not fighting them doesn't just mean that dogmatism takes over the community, it also means that anyone who was marked as an unperson will be expelled.
My attitude is that in their current sorry state, the FTB/Skepchick/A+ people do not deserve to be speakers at events. But this opinion of mine is not based on personal animus, despite the contempt I hold for most of them. It's based on the fact that what they talk about is either

A) Not relevant to skeptic/atheist events. (Feminist issues, and "People are mean to me on the Internet" wharrgarbl).
B) Poorly researched and even more poorly delivered unscientific rubbish googled-up at the last minute. Evo-psych, anyone?

This crap has no place at convention speaker podiums, but unfortunately the organizers currently seem to be succumbing to the temptation to cater to the cults of personality that exist in the community. They're dumbing down their conventions in order to provide a sense of supposed "big name celebrity" speakers, and sacrificing quality and interesting presentations by qualified speakers in the name of larger attendance statistics. So really, the people who organize these things have to take as much blame as the idiots who stumble up to the mic and blather out irrelevant and incoherent messes.

This is NOT my saying these people should be banned or made pariahs. That's THEIR tactic, not mine. This is about wanting the A/S community to get back on track. If all of a sudden PZ, Rebecca, et al would stop trying to hijack the community with this militant radfem garbage, and started giving quality presentations that were within the scope of issues that are actually relevant to the community, I'd have absolutely no problem with them stepping up to the mic. But they're never going to change their awful ways, so we continue speak out against them.

The sad thing is, they have already gotten what they claimed was all they wanted - almost all conventions already had adequate harassment policies in place, and some orgs even modified their existing policies to better placate the hysterical shriekers. But they carry on like nothing has changed, still malign the community as a bunch of rapey harassers, and they're now demanding more and more.

They do not deserve to be rewarded for biting the hand that feeds them by shoving microphones into their faces at conventions.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

AbsurdWalls wrote: For A+, their humourlessness is a shield against members of the outgroup. No joke that the "other" makes can be found funny, because their thought patterns MUST remain alien to members of the ingroup at risk of CONTAMINATION.
That's a much more concise and elegant way of saying exactly what I said the other day.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

decius wrote:
Gumby wrote:
Y8LaNTrLeKU

Long-winded and echoing Dear Muslima, but correct, IMO.

It isn't true that only a minority is involved, unless you factor in inactive and apathetic atheists. This is influencing the organisers and has an impact on current and future shape of events.
Also, the 'leaders' are watching and following, even if many wish this would go away and choose not to get too involved.
Think about it, virtually all of them has commented at one point or another.
I was thinking of all atheist and skeptics, not just active and involved ones, but yeah I see your point, thanks for the correction.

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

Hi folks.

Decided to cast off my lurker status and register.

Just thought I'd use my first post to say how good the latest Al Stefanelli video is.

It's A+ (crappy pun intended)

mutleyeng

Post by mutleyeng »

I'd be happy if they just stopped trying to call themselves skeptics... then they can say what the feck they like.
Being an Atheist does not maketh a skeptic

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Welcome Bhurzum!

And yeah, Al rocks.

masakari2012

Post by masakari2012 »

Tfoot wrote:[spoiler]For epic lulz!
1) PZ on why online polls are utterly pointless.

2) On why signing a online petition, which he calls 'sort of a poll' is actually really important
http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... /#comments

FYI, the reason I dont rip people like myers a new asshole over this is because I really think the guy is finished. Look at his EPIC attempt at 'pharyngulation'. 1 like on facebook, 2 tweets, zero on google+ and a mighty 14 comments. Thats not merely being greeted with apathy and disinterest, thats being greeted by the gentle sound of wind on the high plains and tumble weed idling by in the foreground.

The most devastating blow that myers, benson, zvan and roth can throw has exactly zero effect. Between them they can just about scratch together 1000 signatures for an online petition.

But even IF they could get their wish and all these secular leaders turned their backs on me, how would this stop me from making videos? How is getting people I scarcely know to 'shun' me meant to change my mind?

Its kinda like a+thesim all over again![/spoiler]
I know it's silly to get into the poll-wars, but I'm sure that someone with your subscription numbers could get more signatures for a counter poll, if only to prove a point. Also, if such a poll happened, I'm also sure that many of atheists in the community who have a lot of subscribers would also talk about this, thus boosting the numbers.

A while back, the Slyme Pit tried a counter petition to Zvan's petition to have Justin Vacula removed from the SCA, but we are merely a small group of internet commandos, and lack the numbers.

Al Stefanelli

Post by Al Stefanelli »

Thanks for the comments and shit on my video, people. I saw that petition and just couldn't remain silent.

LMU

Post by LMU »

Bhurzum wrote:Hi folks.

Just thought I'd use my first post to say how good the latest Al Stefanelli video is.

Hello and welcome! :) And hi to all the lurkers out there! Please feel free to say hello and comment whether or not you agree or disagree, you don't even need to register! The worst that can happen is that we'll call you names and/or FTB et al will try to have you made into a pariah.

decius

Post by decius »

Gumby, I see also yours. It is pious nonsense to hope for the other side to back down and admit that their ideology is irrelevant to the movement. Our ex-muslim friend will have to wait for as long as it takes to restore sanity.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

LMU wrote:

Hello and welcome! :) And hi to all the lurkers out there! Please feel free to say hello and comment whether or not you agree or disagree, you don't even need to register! The worst that can happen is that we'll call you names and/or FTB et al will try to have you made into a pariah.
Yes, remember lurkers: You can post on the Atheism Plus forum and comment on Freethought Blogs and we will still let you post here.

However, it doesn't work the other way around. Mostly because the baboons are so much more confident and moral than we are.
Bhurzum wrote:It's A+ (crappy pun intended)
Except for you. You must die for that.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Mykeru wrote: Except for you. You must die for that.
I knew my opening post would drop me in the shit :lol:

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Aron Ra's wife has drunk the Koolaid at last, it seems. I can't quite bring it to words, but I'm really disappointed. I thought they were beyond that crap. I was wrong.

link: http://www.freezepage.com/1358003517LNHVLALJTJ

direct link: http://freethoughtblogs.com/aronra/2013 ... m-deniers/

She claims widespread sexism in the secular community, links to Lousy Canuck and his "timeline" when people ask for evidence and accuses people of tone-trolling.

I was permanently banned, by the way, for making this comment:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/aronra/2013 ... ment-14214

[spoiler]
To lilandra: Then maybe you could provide some substantive evidence to support your assertions. I’m still wondering why you decided to delve into this issue now, since I figured you and Aron were clever enough to stay out of the bullshit that’s accumulated. But since you’re here, I might as well ask: what proof do you have that women are being treated badly in the atheist/sceptic community? Surely you musn’t be talking about the occasional offhand comment here and there, the occasional trollish comment here and there, you must be talking about a systematic oppression within the atheist/sceptic community. So, show us your findings. Because you’re not seriously suggesting that some YouTube comments about Rebecca Watson is proof that women are being ill treated, are you? Not that criticising Rebecca Watson harshly or otherwise is proof of anything in the realm of sexism or misogyny anyway, unless you’re also suggesting we treat women differently because they’re women?

If I call Rebecca Watson a fraud and a huckster, am I somehow calling women frauds and hucksters across the board? No? Then perhaps you need better documentation, lilandra. Where is this widespread condemnation of women within the atheist/sceptic community that you speak of? I see that you think we should speak more about the way women are treated in the secular community (treated badly, I presume, by the nature of this blog post) but I notice that you’re not suggesting anything yourself what to do about it, it’s just platitude and nothing really constructive. You also claim we’re shushing people (and by people I assume you mean women) and unsurprisingly, there is no evidence for that either. I sure as hell am not shushing people (or women for that matter), in fact I’m very interested in what you have to say. Although whenever I express my interest for a woman to prove her assertions of oppression, they soon double down and accuse me of being a misogynist, sexist, a hypersceptic, whatever, and the questions asked and the manner in which it’s asked is similar to the way I’m asking you right now, so you have to admit that kind of rhetoric also isn’t helping.

The irony is that for this post, I will likely be bogged down by comments saying the exact same thing – probably by douglas or someone with the same mindframe. Feel free to prove me wrong.
[/spoiler]

Before I noticed I was banned, I made a pretty long post but forgot to copy it before I hit submit. It didn't show up. Anyway, it had something to do with this comment:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/aronra/2013 ... ment-14116
lilandra wrote:Amazingly we have wound up discussing Elevatorgate disproportionately as the OP predicted.
and this subsequent one,
lilandra wrote:There is a real issue that the OP is about sexism denialism. The people who are misrepresenting ElevatorGate and talking about it as if it is thought of as harassment are usually sexism deniers. Sometimes no amount of help like debunking bad information is going to get through to someone in denial. That is not who I wrote this for, I wrote it for people who need more information to make up their minds.
Where I called her on her bullshit. It was a pretty scathing too, so I'm a bit disappointed it got memoryholed. Then again, right now I'm just generally disappointed anyway.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

decius wrote:Gumby, I see also yours. It is pious nonsense to hope for the other side to back down and admit that their ideology is irrelevant to the movement. Our ex-muslim friend will have to wait for as long as it takes to restore sanity.
"Ah! Just time for another bath. Pass me the sponge, somebody, would you?"

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Welcome Bhurzum. Aphex Twin fan by any chance?

It's a constant source of regret to me that FTB doesn't include BB codes, because I would love to take a massive shit in Ophelia's back yard by dumping the Windowlicker vid on her blog.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Bhurzum wrote:
Mykeru wrote: Except for you. You must die for that.
I knew my opening post would drop me in the shit :lol:
Don't worby about old Mykers: he's always like that...

BTW, are you REALLY luking in a dumpster? Mark Hammill probably ought to be informed.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

lilandra wrote:There is a real issue that the OP is about sexism denialism. The people who are misrepresenting ElevatorGate and talking about it as if it is thought of as harassment are usually sexism deniers. Sometimes no amount of help like debunking bad information is going to get through to someone in denial. That is not who I wrote this for, I wrote it for people who need more information to make up their minds.
Translation:
Since I don't have any actual evidence of rampant harassment and sexism within the community with which to satisfy actual skeptics, I'm simply going to keep feeding everyone else bullshit propaganda.
Welcome to the cult, lilandra.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Tigzy wrote: It's a constant source of regret to me that FTB doesn't include BB codes, because I would love to take a massive shit in Ophelia's back yard by dumping the Windowlicker vid on her blog.
Can you use html tags? just use object.

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" style="width:425px; height:350px;" data=""><param name="movie" value="" /></object>

xxxxxxxxx would be the video id.

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

1. Am I misremembering this-- Or arent Adam Lee and Twatson dating?

2. And influenza! I forgot to say something!

Well, I study HIV, not influenza, so my answer isnt going to be as elaborate as you might want/expect :P

Asymptomatic influenza doesnt make sense.

The symptoms is how influenza is spread (coughing/sneezing/etc), to the point where we have to use ferrets as small animal models because they are the only little guys who sneeze. It doesnt spread if the mice/rats/etc arent sneezing.

Its not like asymptomatic herpes or HIV, which could still be shedding/transmitting even though you arent showing symptoms.

Its possible that either by chance or genetics, you havent gotten the flu. One of my research mentors is one of The Big Dogs in flu research, and she has never gotten the flu or the vaccine! No clue!

BUT

What can happen is that if you do get the flu, you might be a healthy, 'normal' person who gets 'sick' but can recover just fine. But you could transmit to someone who ISNT and get them REALLY sick, send them to the hospital, kill them.

Here is an article I wrote last year about whether you NEED to get the vaccine or not:
Q&A: Immune system ‘strength’ & influenza

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Lsuoma wrote:
decius wrote:Gumby, I see also yours. It is pious nonsense to hope for the other side to back down and admit that their ideology is irrelevant to the movement. Our ex-muslim friend will have to wait for as long as it takes to restore sanity.
"Ah! Just time for another bath. Pass me the sponge, somebody, would you?"
It's been a long time since I read that book so I had to look it up in order to figure out what the fuck you were trying to say.
FORD:
Well I have got news, I have got news for you. It doesn’t matter a pair feted dingo’s kidneys what you all choose to do from now on. Burn down the forests, anything. It won’t make a scrap of difference. Two-million years you’ve got, and that’s it. At the end of that, your race will be dead, gone, and good-riddance to you. Remember that. Two. Million. Years.

CAPTAIN:
Ah. It’s time for another bath. Hmph. Pass me the sponge somebody will you?

decius

Post by decius »

Pitchguest wrote:Aron Ra's wife has drunk the Koolaid at last, it seems. I can't quite bring it to words, but I'm really disappointed. I thought they were beyond that crap. I was wrong.
Any residual upright and intellectually-honest blogger would have left the echo chambers of FTB by now. It isn't by reason of guilt by association, it's by morally-necessary dissociation from bigotry.
There's a point beyond which one becomes complicit to assault on reason and decency by simply flying a banner.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Tigzy wrote:Welcome Bhurzum. Aphex Twin fan by any chance?
Not really.

I'm a massive fan of the videos created/directed by Chris Cunningham though. If you could record the most horrendous nightmare imaginable and play it on YT, you'd end up with a Chris Cunningham video. Well, that or a Greta Christina "toilet-cam" sequence.

I'll let you decide which would be worse...

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

Lsuoma wrote:
Tigzy wrote: It's a constant source of regret to me that FTB doesn't include BB codes, because I would love to take a massive shit in Ophelia's back yard by dumping the Windowlicker vid on her blog.

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" style="width:425px; height:350px;" data=""><param name="movie" value="" /></object>

My suspicion is that it's a limited set of html tags. Even <br /> is filtered.

Zenspace

Post by Zenspace »

Welcome to the Pyt, Bhurzum. Remember to gird your loins and enjoy the ride!

And, yes, Al is a master of the awesome.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Lsuoma wrote:

Course - forgot about the HTML codes. Duh! In any case, I'm on auto-mod there, so I doubt it'd get through anyway.

For the uninitiated: Windowlicker. A Chris Cunningham classic that ticks just about every 'ism' in the box, with the added bonus of being disturbing as hell. I think it would do strange things to Pruney.

[spoiler][youtube]zlrbNqs61nU[/youtube][/spoiler]

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

decius wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:Aron Ra's wife has drunk the Koolaid at last, it seems. I can't quite bring it to words, but I'm really disappointed. I thought they were beyond that crap. I was wrong.
Any residual upright and intellectually-honest blogger would have left the echo chambers of FTB by now. It isn't by reason of guilt by association, it's by morally-necessary dissociation from bigotry.
There's a point beyond which one becomes complicit to assault on reason and decency by simply flying a banner.
Is that not flying the double-standard banner a bit?

If you're on FtB and disagree with some of the heinous shit that goes on there then you can write blogs pointing it out. It is my understanding that people have done this before. If that leads to you getting kicked off FtB then that just goes to show how far they've gone.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Tigzy wrote:For the uninitiated: Windowlicker. A Chris Cunningham classic that ticks just about every 'ism' in the box, with the added bonus of being disturbing as hell
You cruel, cruel man!

:twisted:

(Mind you, it could be worse, you could have linked "Rubber Johnny")

decius

Post by decius »

AbsurdWalls wrote:
Is that not flying the double-standard banner a bit?

If you're on FtB and disagree with some of the heinous shit that goes on there then you can write blogs pointing it out. It is my understanding that people have done this before. If that leads to you getting kicked off FtB then that just goes to show how far they've gone.
I think we are past that point and I don't see the Ras calling out anyone. All fine and dandy for them, including the treatment reserved to TF and Al.

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

This is appalling. I am appalled.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/ja ... it-webchat

Some of you may not know but she is Zinnia Jones from FTB. (Obviously, it's already been talked about above.

Surely, someone at FTB noticed this and would've called an emergency G+ hangout (or something) and said "Look, Zinnia. I know all we do we do for attention and click money, but this has gone beyond merely trying to make the atheist movement our weird little nest of strange ideas. You cannot deliberately undermine a major trial to get attention."

As a lawyer - a litigation lawyer - I am horrified by the prospect of a witness doing this. And this witness has just done this. And just given a whole lot of material to be cross-examined on when the time comes. Maybe she'll put one word out of place and that will be enough to lever in a line of questioning that is convincing enough to derail the whole point of her evidence.

She also disclosed:

1. what the defence disclosed to her obviously in confidence about the purpose of her evidence and what they consider her evidence can be used for;
2. her views about other aspects of the case that she was not qualified to talk about (i.e. whether he knew the disclosure of documents was illegal - of course he did, she said).

This is appalling. I am freaking amazed. I am still aghast. This is horrible. SHE IS A MORON.
I'm sorry. I shouldn't call people names but FUCK.

This going to be keeping some defence lawyers up tonight as they figure out how the fuck they are going to minimise the damage from her evidence rather than focus on other aspects of the case to hopefully get him off.

(In a blog post I read a short while ago, she doubted that lawyers had even heard of Reddit so what would almost every commenter on Reddit know? I can't find that post now.)