The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Old subthreads
Skep tickle

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Post by Skep tickle »

aqi wrote:[spoiler]
Ape+lust wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:...But all he was trying to do was to ask her whether she might be interested in hooking up, just like several Skepchick-style feminists have since said** is what people should do when they're interested in someone...

**I'm forgetting who, but Justicar had a video linked somewhere in the Slyme pit from ~7/2012 that I watched yesterday which pointed this out, and I think more recently one of them posted something about this (Zvan? Amy? Can't recall who, nor where).
I think I'll bring this up again:

Brian Dunning of Skeptoid is a guy the Skepchicks went after twice for alleged sexism. A couple of months after the second time, in the midst of the Elevator hoo-hah, Brian wrote an article that included this:
Brian Dunning wrote:After my wife and I attended our first two TAM conferences, we almost considered never coming back. The reason is that we both received an unusual number of unwanted sexual advances — interestingly, they were all from women (some of whom have personally been quite vocal in criticizing me for what they perceive as sexism pervading skepticism, but we’ll save hypocrisy for a different discussion for a different day).
--- July 5, 2011

http://skeptoid.com/blog/2011/07/05/sex ... kepticism/
The Skepchicks haven't messed with him since. Nor have they mentioned this incident. Sexual harassment was the Big Issue of the day, yet they ignored this. You've gotta wonder why, hmmmm...

Maybe he learned to be a decent, non-sexist guy. Or maybe it's a coincidence. Yeah, that's it, it's a big fat honking coincidence.
[/spoiler]
One name was named at http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyat ... ing-names/
but how many consenting people hooked up and regretted it and then used that to start wars. For example, who was the woman that DJ Grothe said was gifted a signed book after spending the night with an author at a conference and was angry about it?

Consenting adults are going to include skeptical popular figures, some have been open about it casually in conversations at events; Dunning said in the past he is poly and isn't ashamed of it and shouldn't be. Also: http://www.polygroups.com/g/polyamory-sans-woo in. What makes it wrong are the hypocrites who hooked up and now pretend they weren't also playing the popularity game.

What jacks me is critics of Mayhew say she has a boyfriend who is a popular skeptic and dates him for that reason only. What if you slept with popular skeptic and atheist men at conferences , then married a popular UK skeptic figure and now live with a boyfriend you met at TAM who also works for USA skeptics and atheists and promotes you? Is that a chill girl like Mayhew or just cooincidence? Hypocrites.
I'm discouraged by some of the comments at that first thread you linked above. Not the ones by posters active in A+, they're pretty much saying the same things they have been over at A+ & in some cases at FtB so that's no surprise.

It's the others, who use full sentences and otherwise look reasonable at first, but who advocate quite significant constraints on individuals &/or their behavior. (For example, "no sex if you're a speaker", apparently originated by Jen based on how it's presented in the comments at that link, by someone who thinks it's a good start.)

The amusing-ish aspects include:
(1) the intense heterosexual focus ('men need to curb their behavior! women are at risk of sexual harassment/assault!')
(2) the assumption, more often implicit than explicit but present in many of the posts, that women need to be protected, not only from evil men (even if they're the minority of men), but also from their own judgment & decisions.

mordacious1

PZ

Post by mordacious1 »

PZ has a problem, his numbers appear to be down. His longest blogs involve his little clique of dipshits berating us and repeating the same nonsense. On the other hand, and this probably pisses him off to no end, people are coming here and staying in droves. We're just shy of 500 members, most of whom actually contribute. Poor, poor pudgy little PZ (these issues make PZ cry).

Keep up the good work everyone.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Renee's Operation Smile drive has received $1855 in donations so far. :clap:

Skep tickle

Re: PZ

Post by Skep tickle »

mordacious1 wrote:PZ has a problem, his numbers appear to be down. His longest blogs involve his little clique of dipshits berating us and repeating the same nonsense.
That's a change? (Oh, sure, he had some glory days, but those were a while back now...)
mordacious1 wrote:On the other hand, and this probably pisses him off to no end, people are coming here and staying in droves. We're just shy of 500 members, most of whom actually contribute.
"Most of whom actually contribute"? Not sure what you mean by that. Half of the Slyme Pit member roster is people with 5 or fewer posts. Which is totally fine, and lurking is fine too (hi, lurkers!). But it seems like a stretch to say that "most" contribute (regularly/repeatedly).

Ah, I think you're suggesting there are more different people contributing here than at Pharyngula, at this point? Didn't you know that every one of us is a sockpuppet of franc?
mordacious1 wrote:...(these issues make PZ cry)...
pics?

Reap

Post by Reap »

UnbelieveSteve

Post by UnbelieveSteve »

Fucken hell. All my posts on FTB go to moderation.
THIS TIME i was successful. (Greta and her fucken shoes)
Comment #189
ENJOY.
http://www.freezepage.com/1357980500VXWITHLTPA

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

rayshul wrote:It's fucking embarrassing, really.

PLEEEEASSSSEEE COME TO MY PARRRRTIESSSSS BROWN PEEEEOPLEEEEEE

PZ's original ranting pre-elevatorgate about getting more diverse people (specifically black women!!!) made me determined never to attend a skeptic event (and I haven't since). Because... wtf.
Would it help if I donned the KIWI, and spoke wid a' Jamaican accent, ya?
(And had gender reassignment surgery, ala cunt-kick?)
Me could party till de de nite iz day, OK?

somedumbguy

Post by somedumbguy »

Sad news for me. Someone I once sent a few emails back and forth to committed suicide. Twelve years ago, when I was first learning about web development at photo.net, there was this 14 year old kid. Intelligent. Sweet. Brilliant really. Talking to us old farts.

That kid developed the RSS spec that powers our feed readers, and went on to help found reddit.

A year or so ago, he wanted to free the academic papers of JSTOR and he placed a computer of his own in a closet at MIT so that he could automatically download papers. This was seen as a major computer intrusion and the DOD went after him in a big way, even though the authorities at JSTOR and MIT didn't want to press charges.

He killed himself at the age of 26.

I honestly don't know what the relationship of the DOD charges was to his suicide, but I know that in the occasions I have had run ins with court and authorities, over much more minor issues, it has always been terribly stressful.

Anyway, his family has my very best wishes, and Aaron, may you rest in peace.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Lsuoma wrote:Bored with the current board tag - suggest a new one, please. My favourite by 19.00 PST tomorrow gets a $10 Amazon.com GC by email. Unless I don't use any of the suggestions, in which case Renee gets another $50 for her charity drive. Which she might get anyway.
How did they know petitions were our only weakness? WE'RE MELTING.

Or something similar.

...off to donate, too.

Dan

Post by Dan »

Michael K Gray wrote:

PZ's original ranting pre-elevatorgate about getting more diverse people (specifically black women!!!) made me determined never to attend a skeptic event (and I haven't since). Because... wtf.

I think your Jamaican accent ended Sweedish.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Michael K Gray wrote:

Actually I only support racial mixing in the context of buddy cop movies.

AHAHAHAH

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Lsuoma wrote:Bored with the current board tag - suggest a new one, please. My favourite by 19.00 PST tomorrow gets a $10 Amazon.com GC by email. Unless I don't use any of the suggestions, in which case Renee gets another $50 for her charity drive. Which she might get anyway.
CUNT is not a dirty word.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

ikonografer wrote:just putting this out there: wikipedia says about RW:
maybe we could/should start referring to her as "153289" it rolls off the tongue more easily than "crazy, sexist, psychotic, bitch".
The string 153289 occurs at position 2,577,956 counting from the first digit after the decimal point.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Michael K Gray wrote:
franc wrote:
Rystefn wrote:
Dilurk wrote:As far as claims of mental illness by the FfTB of anyone goes/quote]
...I have yet to actually read a relevant (which reads as "not breast beating") contribution from you here.
Does not that famous image of him whoring out his left pectoralis major as a "white" bored for the hypocrite-o-the-decade upon which to scribble her cacographic signature count as a "relevant" contribution?

As for your assessment of Rystefin as a pathetic boasting wanker, I cannot agree.

For I am unsure of the current state of his masturbatory status.
You don’t think that – just maybe, perchance – that that doesn’t qualify almost as much of an ad hominem as Tigzy’s comment? Sort of, analogously speaking, pretty much of a “he is too!” response to franc’s “he isn’t fit to sleep with the pigs”?

Plonk

Post by Plonk »

Have you guys seen this yet? Zinnia Jones has hit the news after her decision to do a Reddit AMA "ask me anything" about an upcoming court case.

The Reddit thread (the consensus in the replies seems to be "what the hell are you thinking?")
http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1 ... o_testify/

Freethoughtblogs post
http://freethoughtblogs.com/zinniajones ... -interest/

Guardian article:
Key witness in Bradley Manning WikiLeaks trial defends Reddit webchat
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/ja ... it-webchat
A former confidante of the WikiLeaks suspect Bradley Manning has defended her decision to hold an online Q&A about the soldier's forthcoming trial, despite her having been named as a key defence witness.
Zinnia's response on twitter:
Learning firsthand just how many people will call a woman a "whore", "dumb bitch", "fucking cunt", and so on. Thanks reddit.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

comslave wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:
justinvacula wrote:...but of course Elevatorguy, if he existed, couldn't just be socially awkward.
"Elevator Guy" is far more fictional than Santa or the Tooth Fairy.

In the age of the internet, with a limited number of suspects, elevatorguy remains unknown. Nice try, Becky. Maybe you should hire an actor to play the part.
I have the deeds to Hobart Bridge.
Only $1,500.
With Signed papers, and everything.

UnbelieveSteve

Post by UnbelieveSteve »

Michael K Gray wrote:
"Free Thought Blogs" works well.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Michael K Gray wrote:
“Cunt” can be a "dirty" word but not necessarily categorically so.

somedumbguy

Post by somedumbguy »

My vote would be "PZ's lesser hemorrhoid"

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Dan wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:

I think your Jamaican accent ended Sweedish.
Kiss mi neck back!! What a sinting tase bad an incipid. Tap di blinkin lyin, yuh ole liyad.
Ee-eeeee. You no Swede!

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Plonk wrote:
A former confidante of the WikiLeaks suspect Bradley Manning has defended her decision to hold an online Q&A about the soldier's forthcoming trial, despite her having been named as a key defence witness.
Learning firsthand just how many people will call a woman a "whore", "dumb bitch", "fucking cunt", and so on. Thanks reddit.
Holy fucking shit.

somedumbguy

Post by somedumbguy »

rayshul wrote:
Plonk wrote:
Holy fucking shit.
People on reddit, including people identifying as lawyers were carefully explaining to her why her AMA was such a terrible idea.

But in the name of PeeZus, she testified. Can I hear an amen?

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Skep tickle wrote:
Steersman wrote:
sacha wrote:
LMU wrote:
All this concern about women in skepticism. I think maybe we should be more concerned with having *skeptics* in skepticism.
QFT
Or more skepticism in more women ....
Do you have any evidence that would help?

Just a joke, no evidence actually being sought here.

But LMU's "we should be more concerned with having *skeptics* in skepticism" - that hits the bullseye. :clap:
I'll agree that there's more than a little truth to LMU's comment, that it suggests that more than a few self-styled skeptics are sailing under a false flag - in their own rather amusing attempt at hunting the snark; mine was at least meant to suggest that many feminists, mostly women, appear to be unfamiliar with the concept, particularly as it relates to feminism.

Somewhat apropos, you might be interested in this podcast from the Thinking Atheist, link posted earlier by Justin Vacula, which features an interview with Michael Shermer who addresses that point from a somewhat broader perspective. The blurb on that site:
What happens when professed critical thinkers don't direct that same skeptical eye toward non-religion related issues?

If someone is a rationalist on the issue of the supernatural, does that automatically qualify them on the other hot topics that confront us in this world.

We talk with Michael Shermer of Skeptic Magazine about a number of issues that invoke strong beliefs and opinions, including global warming, gun control, Area 51, the Zeitgeist films and more. [@ about 33:00]

sacha

Post by sacha »

ERV wrote:
[spoiler]Dear Jen--

I wasnt using 'cancer' in quotes to accuse Christina of lying.

I used 'cancer' in quotes because the money Christina collected in response to her cancer was not used towards cancer treatment. Like someone collecting money for 'the homeless' and buying a WiiU with the cash doesnt mean there are no homeless people.

Christinas 'cancer' money was not spent on physician co-pays, it was not spent on medication co-pays, it was not spent on radiation, it was not spent on chemo, it was not spent on medical bills (due to my experience with medical catastrophe, it took the hospital ~4 months to send the bills when not dealing with insurance (my partner is uninsured) or 6 months with insurance.

It was not spent on gas to get to The City for cancer treatments, nor was it spent on hotel rooms/food/etc while in The City for treatment.

She told us what she spent it on. Mortgages and generic house bills and fancy shoes.

My partner almost died last year.

Walked into the ER with chest pain, was rolled out after two weeks in the ICU and 8 hours of open heart surgery. Because my partner does not have insurance, we payed $250 a month for prescriptions for a few months (we got it down to $50 a month now), and then got the bill from the hospital for $695,000.

Because my partner works in security (got about $15 an hour, so rollin in the $$$), not 'freelancing', any physical activity was out out of the question for 6 months, so we lived on my grad student stipend (two people, two children, dog, rent, gas, utilities, food... and medical bills), and 6 months after that a slightly better but reduced income due to my partners lost clients. Its just now getting back to 'normal'.

During this time, I borrowed/beg/stole a grand total of $0.

I also bought a grand total of 0 $250 shoes, so that probably helped.

I did buy shoes, however. With a little effort you can get nice things for cheap. I got running shoes from Amazon-- last years model (half price) plus I used gift cards I got using Swagbucks (I signed up for it to get extra cash). Thats also how I bought Christmas presents (actually, *a* present) for my partners kids so they could get something from Santa.

And while all of this was happening, PZ Myers, Greg Laden, Stephanie Svan, and why, Greta Christina (and for all I know, you) were actively trying to interfere with my income by getting me fired/banned from atheist conferences, getting my blog shut down, and getting me fired from graduate school.

You want to act like youre the most ethical person on the planet-- YOU care about the poor, the disenfranchised, the downtrodden, the women the gays the blacks the Hispanics-- A PLUS!!!--- while all us other atheists (who have been volunteering, donating, welcoming everyone to our local communities in the real world, dedicating our lives to people in need, for decades) dont give a shit.

*YOU* dont give a shit, Jen. You care about drama and how you can appear to be a moral human while doing as little as humanly possible. Pulling bullshit stunts so you can, momentarily, seem like an interesting person.

Im going back to curing HIV/AIDS. You get back to your Twitter.[/spoiler]
Abbie - spot on as always

why is this in a spoiler?

this needs to be on the front page of numerous blogs we know they read, so they cannot miss it.

sacha

Post by sacha »

Ape+lust wrote:
ERV wrote:*shrug*

Princess Jen is more interested in festering drama than reality, so she hasnt had the time to respond to me. Poor, poor princess. Text of the email I sent her. Nothing new to you all, but, *shrug*:

[spoiler]Dear Jen--

I wasnt using 'cancer' in quotes to accuse Christina of lying.

I used 'cancer' in quotes because the money Christina collected in response to her cancer was not used towards cancer treatment. Like someone collecting money for 'the homeless' and buying a WiiU with the cash doesnt mean there are no homeless people.

Christinas 'cancer' money was not spent on physician co-pays, it was not spent on medication co-pays, it was not spent on radiation, it was not spent on chemo, it was not spent on medical bills (due to my experience with medical catastrophe, it took the hospital ~4 months to send the bills when not dealing with insurance (my partner is uninsured) or 6 months with insurance.

It was not spent on gas to get to The City for cancer treatments, nor was it spent on hotel rooms/food/etc while in The City for treatment.

She told us what she spent it on. Mortgages and generic house bills and fancy shoes.

My partner almost died last year.

Walked into the ER with chest pain, was rolled out after two weeks in the ICU and 8 hours of open heart surgery. Because my partner does not have insurance, we payed $250 a month for prescriptions for a few months (we got it down to $50 a month now), and then got the bill from the hospital for $695,000.

Because my partner works in security (got about $15 an hour, so rollin in the $$$), not 'freelancing', any physical activity was out out of the question for 6 months, so we lived on my grad student stipend (two people, two children, dog, rent, gas, utilities, food... and medical bills), and 6 months after that a slightly better but reduced income due to my partners lost clients. Its just now getting back to 'normal'.

During this time, I borrowed/beg/stole a grand total of $0.

I also bought a grand total of 0 $250 shoes, so that probably helped.

I did buy shoes, however. With a little effort you can get nice things for cheap. I got running shoes from Amazon-- last years model (half price) plus I used gift cards I got using Swagbucks (I signed up for it to get extra cash). Thats also how I bought Christmas presents (actually, *a* present) for my partners kids so they could get something from Santa.

And while all of this was happening, PZ Myers, Greg Laden, Stephanie Svan, and why, Greta Christina (and for all I know, you) were actively trying to interfere with my income by getting me fired/banned from atheist conferences, getting my blog shut down, and getting me fired from graduate school.

You want to act like youre the most ethical person on the planet-- YOU care about the poor, the disenfranchised, the downtrodden, the women the gays the blacks the Hispanics-- A PLUS!!!--- while all us other atheists (who have been volunteering, donating, welcoming everyone to our local communities in the real world, dedicating our lives to people in need, for decades) dont give a shit.

*YOU* dont give a shit, Jen. You care about drama and how you can appear to be a moral human while doing as little as humanly possible. Pulling bullshit stunts so you can, momentarily, seem like an interesting person.

Im going back to curing HIV/AIDS. You get back to your Twitter.[/spoiler]
If I could afford to hire a skywriter, this would be over Jen's house right now:
ERV wrote:You want to act like youre the most ethical person on the planet-- YOU care about the poor, the disenfranchised, the downtrodden, the women the gays the blacks the Hispanics-- A PLUS!!!--- while all us other atheists (who have been volunteering, donating, welcoming everyone to our local communities in the real world, dedicating our lives to people in need, for decades) dont give a shit.

And Stephanie's. And Ophelia's and PZ's and Greta's and Melody's and...
don't forget the closing words:

"Im going back to curing HIV/AIDS. You get back to your Twitter."

sacha

Post by sacha »

ERV wrote:Meh, they have paid me back in lulz.

Today it was 70 degrees, for some reason (its going to be in the 30s again in a couple days, lol) so I took off Arnies red hoodie (he FUCKING LOVES that hoodie). Thanks to Nanny Benson and Melody Hensley I now cant look at him without cracking up.

Slutty dog. Strutting around in the nude, flaunting his non-human mammalian penis...

hahaha!

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Lsuoma wrote:
Dan wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:Great video, Al. Thanks. though I'm not a loud voice, nor a coherent one, nor a productive one, I feel proud to be providing one of the places where people like you can expose the fucking idiots and bullies for the stupid cunts they are.
Place where people can expose the fucking idiots and bullies for the stupid cunts they are. New pit board tag? Probably too long.
Top o' the heap so far.
What about the words of the WCOA now in my sig?

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

somedumbguy wrote:People on reddit, including people identifying as lawyers were carefully explaining to her why her AMA was such a terrible idea.

But in the name of PeeZus, she testified. Can I hear an amen?
WHY FUCK WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT.

Why in the name of all that's ungodly would you do it.

What at all would be any fukcing positive benefit from that?

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Plonk wrote:
Well, she's putting some guy's trial at risk and gifting the prosecution for whatever the fuck it she thinks she's doing, so perhaps "all of the above".

Makes you wonder whose side she's on...Oh, that's right: Hers.

sacha

Post by sacha »

decius wrote:
1.jpg
Ugo!

Hi sweetpea.

kisses from sacha

UnbelieveSteve

Post by UnbelieveSteve »

Some history notes here:
Post # 189 is a list of documented observations directly quoted from the writings of Greta Christina. These cannot be argued or denied.
http://www.freezepage.com/1357980500VXWITHLTPA

Approximately two hours later the (offending?) comment was removed.
http://freethoughtblogs.com/greta/2013/ ... ent-100412

Subsequently an email was sent directly to the commenter by Greta Christina herself.
[spoiler]http://i.imgur.com/Egijk.jpg[/spoiler]
This is Greta Christina.
Obviously.
Stop contacting me.
No problem there. As soon as i start contacting you i will refrain from it. (#2)
Do not email me,
Great idea, but thanks for your email address. I wasn't aware of your email address until you sent me yours.
(do not) comment on my blog,
Thanks for the clear and concise direction, as i wasn't aware i was discluded from the conversation.
(do not) contact me using Facebook
What is your Facebook link again? I best be signing up today to keep in touch.
or Twitter,
Last time i checked i made no direct contact with you there at all. Point me in the right direction in case i missed that one.
or attempt to contact me in any other way, shape or form.
So, smoke signals are out of the question too? (distinguishing fire)
Stop all contact with me immediately.
Refer to #2
Do not reply to this email.
I wouldn't dream of it. That would make it my very first direct communication with you if it were the case.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

New avatar.
With added Racist Hat.
http://www.australiangear.com/media/cat ... ykhaki.jpg
(A far more recent image as well.)

But a racist hat with a new slant.
It is racist in favour of the more melatonin enhanced tribes.
For: most aboriginal stockmen/stock-women/half-fish wear this brand of hat.
http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I ... tralia.jpg
Yes. Aussie black-fellas prefer this hat, 29¾ times out of 30.
http://www.akubra.com.au/images/home/ab ... header.jpg
That makes it annoyingly racist to the A-less-Theism spew-crew!
But in the wrong direction, damnit.
That's private-ledge (law) for you.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

The Slymepit
Reaching Out To Brown People Since 2012

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
The Slymepit
Reaching Out To Brown People Since 2012
Show me on this dolly where white missionary touched you...

AnonymousCowherd

Post by AnonymousCowherd »

Ape+lust wrote: Yes, exactly. This is why Reap cracks me up. PZ wanted to insult Al, so he offhandedly told his readers Reap is a racist. Now, he's got a Reap Situation on his hands. PZ is finding out he can't impugn someone in such a low way and just walk away from it.
He's gotten away with it with Sam Harris (so far). http://www.samharris.org/blog/item/wrestling-the-troll
It is difficult to overlook the role that blog comments play in all this. Having a blog and building a large community of readers can destroy a person’s intellectual integrity—as appears to have happened in the case of PZ Myers. Many people who read his blog come away convinced that I am a racist who advocates the widespread use of torture and a nuclear first strike against the entire Muslim world. The most despicable claims about me appear in the comment thread, of course, but Myers is responsible for publishing them. And so I hold him responsible for circulating and amplifying some of the worst distortions of my views found on the Internet.
Hopefully, Sam overcomes the ReGreta attack and the pushback continues to firm up against these ratbags. I did like Harris' description of Pissy Myers though
that shepherd of Internet trolls PZ Myers

AnonymousCowherd

decius wrote:
fascination wrote: Or they could have reported it to the police. I mean, She said "molestation"! No one even reported it on the anonymous survey given out after TAM, LOL!
These malicious fabrications need to stop. If I were DJ, I would grow a pair.
Evidence or STFU at least. At some point their internal narrative becomes as "real" as they need it to be, though no more.

Anyone else reminded of the famous dismissal of the 'reality based community' of the Bush II era?
The source of the term is a quotation in an October 17, 2004, The New York Times Magazine article by writer Ron Suskind, quoting an unnamed aide to George W. Bush (later attributed to Karl Rove):

The aide said that guys like me were "in what we call the reality-based community," which he defined as people who "believe that solutions emerge from your judicious study of discernible reality." ... "That's not the way the world really works anymore," he continued. "We're an empire now, and when we act, we create our own reality. And while you're studying that reality—judiciously, as you will—we'll act again, creating other new realities, which you can study too, and that's how things will sort out. We're history's actors…and you, all of you, will be left to just study what we do."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reality-based_community

Tfoot

Post by Tfoot »

For epic lulz!
1) PZ on why online polls are utterly pointless.

2) On why signing a online petition, which he calls 'sort of a poll' is actually really important
http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... /#comments

FYI, the reason I dont rip people like myers a new asshole over this is because I really think the guy is finished. Look at his EPIC attempt at 'pharyngulation'. 1 like on facebook, 2 tweets, zero on google+ and a mighty 14 comments. Thats not merely being greeted with apathy and disinterest, thats being greeted by the gentle sound of wind on the high plains and tumble weed idling by in the foreground.

The most devastating blow that myers, benson, zvan and roth can throw has exactly zero effect. Between them they can just about scratch together 1000 signatures for an online petition.

But even IF they could get their wish and all these secular leaders turned their backs on me, how would this stop me from making videos? How is getting people I scarcely know to 'shun' me meant to change my mind?

Its kinda like a+thesim all over again!

AnonymousCowherd

Skep tickle wrote:
That limerick, as shown in the link above, goes:
There was a young lady called Buckle
Who lived life with calmness and chill drank entirely for chuckles
Until she dealt slept with a banker
who was a real wanker
and she ended up feeling quite ill. So she gave the fuckel the knuckle
Now it's a limerick.

UnbelieveSteve

Post by UnbelieveSteve »

Tfoot wrote:For epic lulz! 1) PZ on why online polls are utterly pointless. 2) On why signing a online petition, which he calls 'sort of a poll' is actually really important http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... /#comments FYI, the reason I dont rip people like myers a new asshole over this is because I really think the guy is finished. Look at his EPIC attempt at 'pharyngulation'. 1 like on facebook, 2 tweets, zero on google+ and a mighty 14 comments. Thats not merely being greeted with apathy and disinterest, thats being greeted by the gentle sound of wind on the high plains and tumble weed idling by in the foreground. The most devastating blow that myers, benson, zvan and roth can throw has exactly zero effect. Between them they can just about scratch together 1000 signatures for an online petition. But even IF they could get their wish and all these secular leaders turned their backs on me, how would this stop me from making videos? How is getting people I scarcely know to 'shun' me meant to change my mind? Its kinda like a+thesim all over again!
It appears they've gone into the new business of herding crickets. ......................... ........ ............ ....... ........ ... ....................... ............... ............. ..................... ......... ........ .oop, there's one................... ....... .............. ............. ........... .......... and another........ .......... .................... .................. ............ ......... ............... ...... ... ..
......... ...................... ................ ............................... ...
A more worthwhile use of one's time instead of blogging to an audience of one, maybe two people.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Tfoot wrote:...the reason I dont rip people like myers a new asshole over this is because I really think the guy is finished.
Agreed, but his rabid congregation remain actively vocal beyond their actual numbers, as per Fred Phelps, and his equivalently toxic cult.
The protracted demise of the abortion that is A+Theism, the inevitable descent into the gutters of the Bedlam Asylum of Pharyngula, the declining hipster-cult that is Skepchick are still potent lures to the young and lazy and undereducated.

Rip away.

Think of the kiddies.

Rip away.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Michael K Gray wrote:
ikonografer wrote:just putting this out there: wikipedia says about RW:
maybe we could/should start referring to her as "153289" it rolls off the tongue more easily than "crazy, sexist, psychotic, bitch".
The string 153289 occurs at position 2,577,956 counting from the first digit after the decimal point.
(That was in π, by the way...)

Michael K Gray

Re: Climate Privilege

Post by Michael K Gray »

sacha wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote: Harden the fuck up.
It is only 123+℉ in the shade.
I can't take the heat. Anything over 70℉/21.11C and I'm miserable, over 75℉/23.88C and I feel ill.
Oh dear. You'd be totally fucked here in summer. Or Autumn.
Or spring.
My most "extravagant office cooling" stays at 25℃ (77℉) at an absolute minimum, for the wooftahs.
Any less than that and I'd be looking for a jacket.

LMU

Post by LMU »

BoxNDox wrote:
LMU wrote:
Tkmlac wrote: Unfortunately, yes. Tenured professors get away with anything but murder.

"I could be chainsawing guinea pigs in the parking lot, and they couldn't do anything to me, because I've got tenure. I could kill one of you, and all they could do is put me on paid leave until I got out on parole." -Professor Eckert, HMC
If memory serves Eckert did low temperature physics research, so he'd be more likely to be dipping the guinea pigs (or students) in liquid nitrogen and tossing them off the library.

That said, around the time Eckert started at Harvey Mudd just down the road Pomona successfully fired a tenured professor. It took two tries because he successfully sued on a process technicality and won, but I'm pretty sure they were successful the second time. So it can be done, but it's extremely difficult.
Eckert just has so many great quotes and stories. Like the gun on the plane, and being blinded by ham.

Karmakin

Post by Karmakin »

Great video Al.

I apologize in advance. (Truth is, I really shouldn't be apologizing, but that's the way I roll) Rant incoming.

To SZ. You're probably reading all of this, and yes, I made a comment about drinking. But here's the thing.

IT. IS. NOT. ABOUT. YOU.

None of this is about you. Grow up, stop being a privileged asshole who thinks that the world SHOULD revolve around you. And I told you this when the whole harassment policy thing came down. The problem is that you want to eliminate what generally happens when people get drunk without stopping people from getting drunk. You want your cake and eat it too. The world simply doesn't work that way. Now personally, as a non-drinker, I'm fine and dandy with people not getting drunk. Honestly? Drunken people annoy the shit out of me, and I don't find them fun to be around. So hey, get rid of drinking events at conventions. Better for me. Not like I have the resources to ever go to one in the first place.

So many people want to freeroll this shit. They want to never see anything they might disagree with or feel uncomfortable with, period, and especially without changing their own behavior and patterns. You know who else does that? Religious groups. It's what we call Claiming Privilege. And it's a Bad Thing (tm).

And about harassment. Well. Quite frankly, writing blog posts and tweeting stuff, even if it's stuff you don't like. Sorry. But generally speaking that's always been seen as being quite within acceptable limits and norms for the political blogosphere. And I see absolutely ZERO reason to think why those norms shouldn't apply here. You wish to be an opinion leader. That means that your opinions are up for debate and/or mockery, depending on the person reading them. Sorry. But that's the way it is. Again. The. World. Does. Not. Revolve. Around. You. Or in other words:

Check your god damned privilege. More projection than a fucking multiplex.

Yes, I think it's important to fight against privilege seeking/demanding. I think it's important to fight against sexism/racism/etc. I think it's important to promote equality. That's why I think it's REALLY fucking important to stand up against privilege seeking, sexist, bigoted movements such as A+ (quite frankly, it's the whole Social Justice Warrior movement that deserves..no NEEDS to be fought against).

And others see it the same way. Tough luck. Quite frankly, I think that the SJW movement as a whole is going to get run over by the egalitarian bus. Sorry. We care about many of the same goals that you do..well at least what you SAY your goals are...personally I think the SJW movement is full of shit... it's just that while you're stuck in 101, we're on the verge of graduating.

LMU

Post by LMU »

rocko2466 wrote:Look up the difference between gender feminism and equity feminism... I used gender feminism for a reason. (Actually I may just modify it now to say 'as opposed to equity feminism')
Part of their advantage is that they use language that makes it hard to say no to them. If possible I suggest using language neutral enough that someone who didn't know a great deal about the schism could feel good signing *both* petitions.

LMU

Post by LMU »

Pitchguest wrote:
fascination wrote:Holy Shit! So Tf00t uploaded a new video on YT and there is a feminist by the username Ruby Dynamite commenting on the video. She just claimed that women have been molested at TAM. I'm on my mobile device and the YT app wasn't letting me copy and paste for some reason but her comment was posted about 15 minutes ago.
They just can't help making things up, can they? If there were such a large amount of molestation, it would have been reported by now. If not by DJ "privileged white gay man" Grothe, then by someone else on the commitee - a woman, if we're going with the diverse route. But the accounts I've read from last year's TAM and the accounts from TAM the year before suggests the reports of harassment were next to none, and the TAM has only existed since 2003. Are we missing some vital information that these people have but which they conveniently refuse to share?
It's just Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt (FUD): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear_uncertainty_and_doubt

Going to TAM is a lot of money, how confident are you that it would be a good idea to go after hearing all this, assuming you didn't know better?

Casual Nemesis

Post by Casual Nemesis »

mutleyeng wrote:aaaahhhh booo,
see, petitions never work...this entirely reasonable request to build a Deathstar gets poopooed by the whitehouse
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petiti ... 6/wlfKzFkN

The White House response was actually pretty funny. I didn't think they had it in them.

acathode

Post by acathode »

So Lee's petition has been up for 2 days now, and has been advertised all over the FTB/A+ blogs... and they have a paltry 1035 signatures. Compare that to tf00ts "Why 'Feminism' is poisoning Atheism" video, which had 1000 upvotes within 2-3 hours of it being posted.

Sure, it's a lot easier to simply press that up-thumb, but still, it's not like signing an online petition is that much more work.

If that's the best they can manage, they really can't escape from being described as a small but very vocal shit-flinging minority. Even if you reduce the group you're looking at to only the "active A/S movement", ie. the people who go to cons and are active in activist groups and similar, they still are a tiny, tiny minority.

btw, tf00t's video is now up to 8000+ upvotes, 123.000+ views, and 8.100+ comments... anyone want to guess the time any of the FTB bloggers had similar traffic to any of their posts?

ps. Wonderful video Al, and +1 on the "punch in the face" as a new tagline.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Karmakin wrote:Check your god damned privilege.
Are you able to vaguely define what this imperative actually means?
You confidently assert it, in context, but I'll be buggered if I can even have an inkling of a fathom of what the fuck this SJW hogwash means.
Please elucidate.
(In English)

Casual Nemesis

Post by Casual Nemesis »

Al Stefanelli wrote:Adam Lee's Redundant Petition of Redundant Redundancy

[youtube]IFOHOUqDE3k[/youtube]

Great vid. Thanks.

Karmakin

Post by Karmakin »

Michael K Gray wrote:
You confidently assert it, in context, but I'll be buggered if I can even have an inkling of a fathom of what the fuck this SJW hogwash means.
Please elucidate.
(In English)
Well, the exact phrase itself was somewhat ironic, as it's their motto, really. I should start by saying that I do think that the way that the whole privilege thing is typically used is incorrect. That is, that someone has a natural/cultural advantage over somebody else and as such the advantaged person cannot possibly understand what the non-advantaged person is going through, and as such the opinions/experiences of the non-advantaged person should take priority. The problem with that, is that in most cases, it's not the "privileged" person that's above what we think should be the norm, it's the other person who is below that baseline. So I actually think underprivileged is a better term. (But that means you can't dismiss what other people who disagree with you are saying, and that's Bad.)

However, there actually IS privilege in the world. Real, honest to goodness privilege seeking and claiming. And the biggest offender, by far, is religion. When they're demanding the primary seat of every discussion involving any sort of ethics or morality, that's privilege claiming. When they're saying that one needs to be religious to be a good person, that's privilege claiming. When they demand that things that are offensive to them be removed..that's privilege claiming. When they demand that nobody speak up against them because it's "bigotry", that's privilege claiming. And generally speaking, atheists/skeptics fight/argue against these things. And rightfully so.

But all those things above, all those cases of privilege claiming are things that the A+ movement do on a constant basis. All of them. (The first, might be a bit strained, I admit, but I still argue that it's there)

So yes, the point behind it is that the people who go around telling others to check their own privilege have bloody forests sticking out of their own eyes, (My apologies for the religious reference, however, I actually do think that particular parable and the common misinterpretation of it is actually culturally important).

The whole Social Justice Warrior thing, is that if one takes a wider look at things, A+ is just one part of a larger movement. You see the same common threads of privilege claiming and "world revolves around me" style thinking all through it.

I hope that clarified.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

rocko2466 wrote:Hey

A change.org petition. Effectively, a response to Adam Lee's.

https://www.change.org/en-AU/petitions/ ... um=twitter
Meh. I know you mean well, but these things are absolutely fucking stupid and meaningless. The Slymepit itself is the best online tool against those, um, well, online tools.

Tfoot

Post by Tfoot »

More lulz from Roth:
Apparently Amy is keen to show that she's not a man hater or trying to discourage men. So she's now allowing men to apply for her 'grant'. The lulz come of course when you click apply.

http://s9.postimage.org/djzl32grj/surly ... grants.jpg

Amy is encouraging men to apply for her 'Surly Woman Grant' that is 'Helping Women to participate in science and rationalism. One woman at a time' and that 'To apply for this Surly Woman Grant, please fill out the form below'. Wow, thats an interesting way to encourage men to apply!

Amy also points out that everything in this grant system is done by her. This just looks corrupt, and leaves her open to the criticism that shes using this as a back door to subsidize her drinking buddies to attend conferences.

Word to the wise Amy, if you don't want to appear corrupt, do not decide who wins yourself.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Karmakin wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:
Please elucidate.
(In English)
Well, the exact phrase itself was somewhat ironic, as it's their motto, really. I should start by saying that I do think that the way that the whole privilege thing is typically used is incorrect. That is, that someone has a natural/cultural advantage over somebody else and as such the advantaged person cannot possibly understand what the non-advantaged person is going through, and as such the opinions/experiences of the non-advantaged person should take priority. The problem with that, is that in most cases, it's not the "privileged" person that's above what we think should be the norm, it's the other person who is below that baseline. So I actually think underprivileged is a better term. (But that means you can't dismiss what other people who disagree with you are saying, and that's Bad.)

However, there actually IS privilege in the world. Real, honest to goodness privilege seeking and claiming. And the biggest offender, by far, is religion. When they're demanding the primary seat of every discussion involving any sort of ethics or morality, that's privilege claiming. When they're saying that one needs to be religious to be a good person, that's privilege claiming. When they demand that things that are offensive to them be removed..that's privilege claiming. When they demand that nobody speak up against them because it's "bigotry", that's privilege claiming. And generally speaking, atheists/skeptics fight/argue against these things. And rightfully so.

But all those things above, all those cases of privilege claiming are things that the A+ movement do on a constant basis. All of them. (The first, might be a bit strained, I admit, but I still argue that it's there)

So yes, the point behind it is that the people who go around telling others to check their own privilege have bloody forests sticking out of their own eyes, (My apologies for the religious reference, however, I actually do think that particular parable and the common misinterpretation of it is actually culturally important).

The whole Social Justice Warrior thing, is that if one takes a wider look at things, A+ is just one part of a larger movement. You see the same common threads of privilege claiming and "world revolves around me" style thinking all through it.

I hope that clarified.
It both clarified and muddied, I'm afraid.
Too many words to describe what should be a simple concept.
And that is where I think the problem lies.
They NEED to to muddy the waters, so as not to be caught out lying their little backsides off.

Now, I AM most certainly privileged:
Private-school educated in a secure & prosperous country.
Free University education.
Self-employed as managing director of my own hi-tech company, yada yada.
Hob-nobbing with the elite of society whom were my my parent's acquaintances, and all that.

But absolutely NOTHING about which these SJWs applies to me, apart from the fact that as a birthday present I was given testicles.

But, I am still in a quandary as to what "check" means in this expression.
Is it "check" as in cloak-room, like 'leave it at the door'?
Is it "check" as in 'inspect'?
Is it "check" as in 'tick off a list' in a perfunctory manner?
Is it "check" as in 'match an opponent's move'?

I remain in a quandary.
As you employed the phrase, you must surely know what it means.
Please explain.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Pitchguest wrote:
fascination wrote:Holy Shit! So Tf00t uploaded a new video on YT and there is a feminist by the username Ruby Dynamite commenting on the video. She just claimed that women have been molested at TAM. I'm on my mobile device and the YT app wasn't letting me copy and paste for some reason but her comment was posted about 15 minutes ago.
They just can't help making things up, can they? If there were such a large amount of molestation, it would have been reported by now. If not by DJ "privileged white gay man" Grothe, then by someone else on the commitee - a woman, if we're going with the diverse route. But the accounts I've read from last year's TAM and the accounts from TAM the year before suggests the reports of harassment were next to none, and the TAM has only existed since 2003. Are we missing some vital information that these people have but which they conveniently refuse to share?
I know you know all this already, but just venting:

Name one accusation they have ever made, ever, that they have provided the slightest fucking shred of evidence for. Elevatorgate? Nope. Upskirt Camera guy? Nope. Any other incidentgate? Nope. Not one bit of evidence in what, almost two years?

Where do you think the term "hyperskeptical" came from?

Hyperskepticism: The act of asking for evidence, any evidence at all, of any of the assault and/or harassment claims made by FreethoughtBlogs, Skepchick, or other Nth-wave feminist online personalities.

Remember, Matt Dillahunty even said it doesn't matter if Elevator Guy is real or not. Because, you see, this harassment shit obviously goes on all the time, you'll just have to take their word for it.

Why, if I were to be hyperskeptical, I'd start to suspect that this "harassment accusation" campaign was just a cover for another agenda.

*spit*

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

decius wrote:
fascination wrote: Or they could have reported it to the police. I mean, She said "molestation"! No one even reported it on the anonymous survey given out after TAM, LOL!
These malicious fabrications need to stop. If I were DJ, I would grow a pair.
You'd think DJ Grothe would have figured it out after the blatant attempt at sabotage Surly Amy perpetrated at last year's TAM. She did everything she could to manufacture drama that would support the Skepchick claims of harassment there. It was so fucking obvious a child could see it.

But no, Grothe is too busy giving out Surly-Ramics to JREF donors who give over a certain dollar amount.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Gumby wrote:Name one accusation they have ever made, ever, that they have provided the slightest fucking shred of evidence for. Elevatorgate?
No. But they have provided a veritable mountain of evidence against the corporeal presence of the Satan of stairlifts, the Beelzebub of bannisters, the Elf of elevators, the Lucifer of Lifts, the Antichrist of erm, erm, 'thingies'.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Plonk wrote:Have you guys seen this yet? Zinnia Jones has hit the news after her decision to do a Reddit AMA "ask me anything" about an upcoming court case.

The Reddit thread (the consensus in the replies seems to be "what the hell are you thinking?")
http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1 ... o_testify/

Freethoughtblogs post
http://freethoughtblogs.com/zinniajones ... -interest/

Guardian article:
Key witness in Bradley Manning WikiLeaks trial defends Reddit webchat
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/ja ... it-webchat
Yeah, here's a typical comment that she characterizes as calling her a whore:
I don't think it's ever a good thing when the witness for a guy who could be facing life in prison or a death sentence is saying things like "I think he knew he was committing a crime"... I sure as hell wouldn't want you testifying if you were stupid enough to talk to the media in mass and answer anything you could before even stepping in court (just giving the opposition more ammo and more firepower by opening your mouth).
I have no remorse for Manning but I wouldn't even want a person like you to have any involvement - must talk to everyone and anyone instead of staying silent.
I hope you've broken some laws with information you give out so you pay for being an idiot.
Edit*-tldr You're an attention whore.
Must be nice to live in your own little narcissistic world where other people are just things, eh, Zin?

Post by Guest »

Michael K Gray wrote:But, I am still in a quandary as to what "check" means in this expression.

I remain in a quandary.
Please explain.
I have heard the A+ers using the phrase "check your privilege at the door", although this doesn't rule out the other senses of the word "check". Apart from that I think I'm as confused as you are.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Guest wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:But, I am still in a quandary as to what "check" means in this expression.

I remain in a quandary.
Please explain.
I have heard the A+ers using the phrase "check your privilege at the door", although this doesn't rule out the other senses of the word "check". Apart from that I think I'm as confused as you are.
Then that rules out interminable games of chess by which to ward off the oolong dark tea-time of their souls, eh?
Check mate, I think.