You is all a bunch of poofs!

Old subthreads
John D

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

Post by John D »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote: Honestly, this sounds like marriage counseling time. Or even family counseling time. Find an old-school therapist, as the new ones are trained for crap (I studied therapy/psychology master's program after I was injured beyond repair. It's bad.) You don't want to go through life with resentment and bitterness, it's way too short for that shit. You don't deserve to be treated like crap by the people that depend on you.
My wife doesn't want to go to therapy... or she sabotages my attempt. I had a counselor setup but she complained that she was too far away (25 minute drive) and that she would find a local one..... and then proceeds to do nothing. I think she fears what she will be told... cause... well... most of the problem is her (if I do say so myself... haha).

To some extent I am just blowing off steam. I realize I have to avoid getting resentful so I make my own spaces and times for things. My wife has severe depression from time to time and probably also has ADD (based on my daughter's diagnoses and our understanding of her issues). So.... to a large extent my hand is dealt.

My wife has tried counseling several times and she always hates it.... so... that is probably not in her future.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

MarcusAu wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:34 pm
Talking of people we are talking about - I checked out Mykeru's twitter feed the other day.
He had a 5 day suspension from work, continues to not make videos, and seems determined to stay on his path to unsociable codgerdom.

And so it goes, I suppose. But I do appreciate his past efforts.
He seems to have taken a hard fall after his breakup with the Latina lass. Or perhaps I'm misremembering.

John D

Post by John D »

TLDR does a good job of this if yall want more Capt' Marvell stuff.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

I just found out where ConcH2O got his liver :o

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Brive1987 wrote: Showing off on a double date.

I remember reading about a traffic accident in India, where a bus ran into a moped. The report stated that something like 73 people on the bus were injured and 57 killed, while all seven on the moped died.

John D

Post by John D »

Haha. When I feel a little down I watch some Rucka.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Mardi gras, kids.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

I was wondering what it’d take to get a rise out of ‘red bandana man’

http://i.imgur.com/JInB3tZ.jpg

:lol:

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

“FitzSimons’ style is that of a graphic novel without the pictures,” wrote Prof Stanley, adding: “(It’s) cartoon history by the kilogram.”

“I wasn’t reading so much a formal history book as a book that had been written in a series of vignettes,”

“The fact that he writes about a group of men in a lorry, he goes, ‘they bumped down the cobblestones of France, bumpity bumpity bump’, to me that’s just ridiculously simplistic.

“Fitz” (I reckon he almost demands to be called that these days) found that he would sell a lot more books if he adopted a style that made readers feel as if they were right in the action; “like the Red Baron’s co-pilot” is how he phrases it

Large sections of the book are marred by AUTHORIAL PESTERING (including egregious font changes and capitalisations) and heavy-handed pointers about how the reader should respond to what he or she is being told by the author. Time and again I was just starting to get absorbed in FitzSimons’s writing when, out of a trench or from behind a metaphorical bush, Fitz would leap like Jack Nicholson in The Shining. “Gawd help us all,” “Tricky buggers!” “Hurrah! Hurrah!” “Outrageous” and “Yes, mate, you’ve done your duty” peppered the pages.

Much of the rest of the book, however, is marred by ... [o]verwritten paragraphs, often splutteringly so, excessive quotation of sources rather than letting them speak in a way that supports an argument (or paraphrasing them to the same end), Fitz leaping in with a nudge or a wink about what it all means – all when a more careful (and confident?) author might have presented a judicious, possibly slightly qualified conclusion on the basis of evidence.
Gawd, that sort of shit makes me puke.

On the bright side, I just found Gustav Lehmann's Die Mobilmachung von 1870/71 on archive.org and it is an absolute treat!

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

"Good god! It looks like the whole Wehrmacht just pounced on them!"

"Eat lead, Fritz!"

"Achtung!! Spitfeuer!'

"I just gave the Huns a couple of pineapples for dessert!"

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

mordacious1

Post by mordacious1 »

Let’s see if we’re paying women employees less than men:
https://www.businessinsider.com/google- ... men-2019-3

Oops

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Captain Marvel is a total blast and Brie Larson rocks

Marvel’s new superhero movie had the weight of expectations and a nasty troll campaign against it. But it’s come out swinging.

And we are still at the point where the visuals of such a powerful female hero are rare enough that its sheer existence makes you giddy.

Captain Marvel can be heavy-handed in its approach, but then you have to think about who will benefit the most from this movie — young kids, especially young girls.

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/m ... 4d5e40ef75

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

I don't think that he claims to be an historian (does he?). Rather, like someone who writes popular science, he writes popular history.

Don't be that snob.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Lsuoma wrote: "Good god! It looks like the whole Wehrmacht just pounced on them!"

"Eat lead, Fritz!"

"Achtung!! Spitfeuer!'

Sounds like someone is a fan of 'Commando' or at least Captain Hurricane.

Not everyone one the Allies fought was a Nazi though.

captain_hurricane.gif
(34.9 KiB) Downloaded 390 times

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Has anyone been following the HIV news?

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... aids-virus

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

KiwiInOz wrote:
I don't think that he claims to be an historian (does he?). Rather, like someone who writes popular science, he writes popular history.

Don't be that snob.
He claims to be a hi’storian

I kid you not. Whatever the fuck that is.

However.

He happily accepts reviews that use the “history” word.
He was selected for the ANZAC Centenary Advisory Board.
He sucks the media oxygen from public historical discussions.

His range of fact-tion is debilitating in a Herman Wouk “Winds of War” way. He is also very sensitive about people pointing out he has no qualifications to be taken seriously. Rather he is a failed footballer with a basic BA in Govt who turned journalist and now uses a whole tribe of research elves to produce production-line beer and pretzels crap which dominates the terrain. Somehow this justifies an AO, while his donations justified him getting a seat on the University of Sydney’s Senate. For reasons.

Oh. And .....

http://i.imgur.com/UQAC10w.jpg

Dr FitzSimons. :lol: :lol: :bjarte:

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Less vitriolic version.

I think there is a general popular acceptance that FitzSimons writes accessible “history” even if he doesn’t claim the title “historian” - which would then expose him to professional scrutiny. He certainly leverages his popular acclaim to assume the role of a highly visible everyman’s “authoritative voice” His genre provides all the benefit$ without the effort or skill that useful analysis would provide. And a model which drives high turnover empty calories.

Or as Stevenson put it “history by the kilo”.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Milo Yiannopoulos banned from entering Australia

A decision to block right-wing star Milo Yiannopoulos from Australia has enraged Pauline Hanson, who called the government “gutless and weak”.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Brive1987 wrote: Less vitriolic version.

I think there is a general popular acceptance that FitzSimons writes accessible “history” even if he doesn’t claim the title “historian” - which would then expose him to professional scrutiny. He certainly leverages his popular acclaim to assume the role of a highly visible everyman’s “authoritative voice” His genre provides all the benefit$ without the effort or skill that useful analysis would provide. And a model which drives high turnover empty calories.

Do you link the recent (by which I mean in the last, say 30 years...if that can be considered recent) young Australians (and NZ's too) attitude to keeping WWI relevant by visiting Ga'lipoli, getting pissed (ie drunk) and treating the whole thing as a party, to the quality of education on the subject?

On a somewhat related subject - I heard a recent interview with David McCallum - where he stated that he though the film 'Titantic' turned the whole thing into a love story - and did not do justice to those involved. He mentioned survivors attending the screening of the film he was in 'A Night to Remember' - and that they used to attend a pub in Kings Cross. Which creates a stronger connection to living history.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

***Please excuse my pronunciation of 'Gallipoli' above. (hic).

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

The man earns a living by making academic history accessible (and literally based on a true story). Quelle horreur.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

The man earns a living by making academic history accessible (and literally based on a true story). Quelle horreur.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

MarcusAu wrote: ***Please excuse my pronunciation of 'Gallipoli' above. (hic).
As opposed to John's daughter who is gaily poly.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

KiwiInOz wrote: The man earns a living by making academic history accessible (and literally based on a true story). Quelle horreur.
Are you familiar with Terry Deary & the Horrible Histories series (of books & TV) ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXmMT4sETu8

It probably didn't seem so much fun at the time. Or perhaps it the song makes everything worse.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Despite an over saturated marketplace - it looks like former the heavyweight terrorist contender is trying to regain market share.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... rexit.html

SM1957

Post by SM1957 »

Will Smith is not black enough....

I guess Shaun King must be right out.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-47468011

John D

Post by John D »

Shout out to Jussie for hiring black actors for traditionally white roles!

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

SM1957 wrote: Will Smith is not black enough....

He must be feeling blue, what will all the negative feedback he's been receiving recently.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

MarcusAu wrote:
Lsuoma wrote: "Good god! It looks like the whole Wehrmacht just pounced on them!"

"Eat lead, Fritz!"

"Achtung!! Spitfeuer!'

Sounds like someone is a fan of 'Commando' or at least Captain Hurricane.

Not everyone one the Allies fought was a Nazi though.

captain_hurricane.gif
I had no idea they were still going! I may have to drop 8 sovs on a monthly trial...

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

KiwiInOz wrote: I don't think that he claims to be an historian (does he?). Rather, like someone who writes popular science, he writes popular history.

Don't be that snob.
[....]

I am that snob.

History can be made accessible to the hoi polloi without turning it into barely-disguised potboiler fiction. I do not want to read about the song the Doughboys of the 17th regiment were singing before the charge at Belleau Wood, what Alexander Hamilton had for breakfast before his duel, or the wind whipping through the tent, the smell of the horses, the clatter of spatha as Julius Caesar broke camp to cross the Rubicon, because you, dear "storian", haven't the slightest fucking clue about any of that.

I get that, while the likes of oddballs like Brive & I wish to dig deep into the purest of scholarly historical research, the majority of history readers prefer some light but slightly stimulating reading while smoking a pipe, sitting on a plane, or taking a dump. There's still no excuse for larding the latter fare with ahistorical trash or just stuff the author has pulled out of their ass. After a certain point, there's almost no hamburger rather nearly all Hamburger Helper™. It's a free market, and a matter of taste, and anyone who wants is free to buy and read this sort of shit. But the rest of us don't have to pretend it's actual history and not just plain old shit.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

On that note (or approximation thereof) I remember George MacDonald Fraser regretting that no one had ever recorded Victor McLaglen singing any of the various 'Barrack Room Ballads'.

Another authentic vocal experience lost to the mists of history.

Ah well - we must stagger onward rejoicing...

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Hey, Shoutiepony, looks like we got us a homegrown terrorist from Rochester!

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-kent-47466625

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Lsuoma wrote: Hey, Shoutiepony, looks like we got us a homegrown terrorist from Rochester!

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-kent-47466625
Pony indeed, ya cheeky fucker! :naughty:

As for laddo, another ginger jihadi, the fucking mong. What is it with Ginners and Islam? Thing is there's not a massive Muslim population in Medway, growing though I'd imagine like everwhere. Still I hope the cunt goes to a non muzzie clink and get his ginger nuts kicked in. CUNT!

While I'm here, that Horrible Histories video, why hasn't Kaiser Bill got a withered arm? Details Matter.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

MarcusAu wrote: Has anyone been following the HIV news?

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... aids-virus
I wonder how many babies they had to harvest to cure that sick pervert?

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

free thoughtpolice wrote: I wonder how many babies they had to harvest to cure that sick pervert?
Only the ones the frogs turned gay. ;)

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Eleven MP's. :think:

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote: I don't think that he claims to be an historian (does he?). Rather, like someone who writes popular science, he writes popular history.

Don't be that snob.
[....]

I am that snob.

History can be made accessible to the hoi polloi without turning it into barely-disguised potboiler fiction. I do not want to read about the song the Doughboys of the 17th regiment were singing before the charge at Belleau Wood, what Alexander Hamilton had for breakfast before his duel, or the wind whipping through the tent, the smell of the horses, the clatter of spatha as Julius Caesar broke camp to cross the Rubicon, because you, dear "storian", haven't the slightest fucking clue about any of that.

I get that, while the likes of oddballs like Brive & I wish to dig deep into the purest of scholarly historical research, the majority of history readers prefer some light but slightly stimulating reading while smoking a pipe, sitting on a plane, or taking a dump. There's still no excuse for larding the latter fare with ahistorical trash or just stuff the author has pulled out of their ass. After a certain point, there's almost no hamburger rather nearly all Hamburger Helper™. It's a free market, and a matter of taste, and anyone who wants is free to buy and read this sort of shit. But the rest of us don't have to pretend it's actual history and not just plain old shit.
I will confess to never having read any of his books, although have learnt most of my history from novels and movies, e.g. Clan of the Cave Bear and Forest Gump. This may have coloured my perspective.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

SM1957 wrote: Will Smith is not black enough....

I'd be happy for Will Smith to play me in my biopic.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

MarcusAu wrote:

Do you link the recent (by which I mean in the last, say 30 years...if that can be considered recent) young Australians (and NZ's too) attitude to keeping WWI relevant by visiting Ga'lipoli, getting pissed (ie drunk) and treating the whole thing as a party, to the quality of education on the subject?
Poor education is too simple a premise.

There has been a concerted govt and AWM effort to retool Anzac into civic virtue glue to help clump the nation together. This initiative can be dated to the 1990 75 anniversary expedition where for the first time our PM (Bob Hawke) attended the Dawn Service in Turkey. There was a highly publicised passing of the torch conducted between surviving veterans and youth. My grandfather was gutted to be ruled out on health grounds at the last minute. He was 93 and managed to keep going till nearly Christmas. So fuck em.

The Gallipoli (and Anzac) narrative has only been useful and relevant because it was used to explain and contextualise social factors. Ie it’s a national history. This began as a racial model, evolved into national exceptionalism and has landed as a scaffold for civics. Military detail is clutter.

Consequently, the reality of what “really” happened has always been secondary, as seen in the 1927 ruckus over the “vilest libel of the War”. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10. ... ode=rahs20

Kids go to Gallipoli like IDF soldiers climb Masada. It is a bonding to National historical tropes. The same ones Fitz propagates to make a buck and secure acclaim.

CaptainFluffyBunny

It was one of Donald Trump's signature campaign promises.

Back in June 2016, he stood before a large crowd in Monessen, Pennsylvania and said that as President, he would reduce America's ballooning trade deficit.

He called it "a political and politician-made disaster" and said "it can be corrected".

Only it hasn't exactly turned out that way.
https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/business-47472282

CaptainFluffyBunny

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:
It was one of Donald Trump's signature campaign promises.

Back in June 2016, he stood before a large crowd in Monessen, Pennsylvania and said that as President, he would reduce America's ballooning trade deficit.

He called it "a political and politician-made disaster" and said "it can be corrected".

Only it hasn't exactly turned out that way.
https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/business-47472282
Double fuck, wrong thread. Apologies

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Ya ya ya.

‘I am not Titania McGrath. Go f**k yourself’
I am not the only suspect in this curious affair. Twitter users have speculated that the account is run by Chris Morris, Ricky Gervais, or even the American conservative Ann Coulter. There are now rumours that Rosamund Urwin is the real Titania McGrath, and that her article in The Sunday Times was an ingenious exercise in misdirection.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

The ruthless amalgam of big business and destructive liberal woke.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Brive1987 wrote: The ruthless amalgam of big business and destructive liberal woke.

First they came for the hygene products and I said I wounldn't shave; then they came for the airlines and I said I woundn't fly.

Pretty soon I'll be naked in my backyard rubbing two sticks together.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Brive1987 wrote: The ruthless amalgam of big business and destructive liberal woke.

twitter.com/virgin/status/1103407496352489472?s=21
The quotes are a delight. Virgin are about as popular as Hemorrhoids over here. Funnily enough my daughter dumped Virgin Media only yesterday.

:)

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

I'm not sure this is a winning marketing strategy.

RIP Stan.

InfraRedBucket

Post by InfraRedBucket »

MarcusAu wrote: I'm not sure this is a winning marketing strategy.
The early Comics code would never have allowed Zombies, let alone one of Stan Lee to promote a product.
RIP Stan.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

InfraRedBucket wrote: The early Comics code would never have allowed Zombies, let alone one of Stan Lee to promote a product.
From which we can only conclude that Stan is a 'Zuvembie'.

...or that it was his brother that died.

...or that he is a clone.

...or that the government has arranged for someone to impersonate him.

...or that he is a doppelgänger from an alternate universe.

...or that he fell into the North Atlantic Ocean and has been frozen in a block of ice.

...or....

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Tommy Robinson to be taken back to court to face the original contempt of court charges from last year.

In the last two weeks.
Embarrasses the BBC. Banned from facebook. Labour deputy leader attempts to get his YouTube shut down. Served with defamation papers by far left and Jihadi lawyer. Usual racist, thug, far right slurs raised in the House of Commons. Claims he's working on an expose of left wing Soros funded anti-hate groups. .. Coincidence?

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

IngSoc is on its way.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Lsuoma wrote: IngSoc is on its way.
At last the 1948 Show.

TheMudbrooker

Post by TheMudbrooker »

Man, irony can be a motherfucker sometimes.
https://www.weau.com/content/news/Madel ... 19831.html

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

TheMudbrooker wrote: Man, irony can be a motherfucker sometimes.
https://www.weau.com/content/news/Madel ... 19831.html
I never trusted those shifty bastards...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2KrHr1b2tE

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

PZ version:
I’d have stuck with the liberal arts school. They provide more personal instruction and a broader background to students. And that’s why I switched from teaching at a large state institution to a smaller university myself in my career as an instructor.
PZ Daughter version from her AMA:
he went to Morris because that was where he could get a job

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Behind every hot woman (on the internet) is a 40 year old man.