Naked fat black crippled dykes are hard to find...

Old subthreads
free thoughtpolice

Re: Naked fat black crippled dykes are hard to find...

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Brive1987 wrote: These are the rules that Bell were required to play by. Rules set by an independent public regulatory body.

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/television/publicit/pol.htm

Bell accepted money and signed a contract and then pulled the plug in a tactically timely fashion.

Is this the standard you want to operate to?
Personally, I think it may have been unfair for them to refuse to allow her to run ads, depending on what she was saying. I seriously doubt they did this in a tactical way, that sounds a little bit conspiratorial to me. Bell media pulled the plug on her after receiving a flood of complaints and likely after they were informed that she had endorsed Richard Spencer (IIRC she said his ideas were ideologically sound), she made a claim that white genocide was happening in Canada basically parroting the talking points of neo nazis and white supremacists,
Given her penchant for dancing with the DS crowd and others, she had already made herself poisonous to media that relies on commercial advertising for their bread and butter as well as making them nervous in a country that has hate speech laws. I would have preferred to allow her to pedal her petty bigotry and half truths as a liberal that believes in free speech, but I as a capitalist I can also sympathize with Bell Media not wanting to jeopardize their business by giving voice to a fringe attention whore.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Brive1987 wrote: Totally consistent with her platform which is still available here:
https://www.faithfortoronto.ca/about
The plank that set her apart from the rest of the field:
Faith Goldy wrote:I know the best way to attract business isn’t government handouts but wearing tight, sleeveless sweaters.
If only you could vote twice, once for each.

But clearly, her unacceptable hatred of brown bodies is evident in these planks:
I will launch a Special Research Desk on Islamic Extremism to monitor finances in and out of Toronto Islamic centres. Additionally, any religious organization found to be preaching violence against identifiable groups will be dealt with according to Canadian Law.

Evacuate all illegal migrants from Toronto’s shelter system by bus to the Prime Minister’s official residence, or the nearest jurisdiction [Minneapolis] that will take them.

As Mayor, I pledge to protect Toronto’s symbols (such as statues, monuments, and plaques) which represent our shared Canadian identity.

free thoughtpolice

jugheadnaut wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote: Think I was just joking? :P
The only joke here is you. You make circa-2004 Daily Kos posts seem temperate, judicious, and well-informed.
Lighten up dumbass. You get your panties in a knot by my ridiculing self hating gay Lindsey Graham that has spent years opposing gay rights. As for bringing up the DS thing where you pointed out that Anglin calls even those not far from his own kin cucks and homos, that was the joke. If you don't like my sense of humor, tough shit.
Now you are trying to pigeonhole me as some radical SJW. Get fucked.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
Brive1987 wrote: These are the rules that Bell were required to play by. Rules set by an independent public regulatory body.

Bell accepted money and signed a contract and then pulled the plug in a tactically timely fashion.

Personally, I think it may have been unfair for them to refuse to allow her to run ads, depending on what she was saying. I seriously doubt they did this in a tactical way, that sounds a little bit conspiratorial to me. Bell media pulled the plug on her after receiving a flood of complaints and likely after they were informed that she had endorsed Richard Spencer (IIRC she said his ideas were ideologically sound), she made a claim that white genocide was happening in Canada basically parroting the talking points of neo nazis and white supremacists,
Given her penchant for dancing with the DS crowd and others, she had already made herself poisonous to media that relies on commercial advertising for their bread and butter as well as making them nervous in a country that has hate speech laws. I would have preferred to allow her to pedal her petty bigotry and half truths as a liberal that believes in free speech, but I as a capitalist I can also sympathize with Bell Media not wanting to jeopardize their business by giving voice to a fringe attention whore.
Sounds like the law says you must accept ads from all candidates, no ifs and or buts.

First they came for the collagen-lipped aryans....

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

free thoughtpolice wrote: Lighten up dumbass. You get your panties in a knot by my ridiculing self hating gay Lindsey Graham that has spent years opposing gay rights. As for bringing up the DS thing where you pointed out that Anglin calls even those not far from his own kin cucks and homos, that was the joke. If you don't like my sense of humor, tough shit.
Lindsay Graham should heed that last suggestion, too. He might finally lighten up a bit.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Life imitates 'Shop art.

Becky is morphing into an Ape-like caricature of herself.

https://i.imgur.com/norkdSS.png

free thoughtpolice

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Sounds like the law says you must accept ads from all candidates, no ifs and or buts.

It certainly sounds like it according to letter of what they say here:
Paid campaign advertising time
If a broadcaster sells advertising time to one candidate or party, other candidates and parties must also be given the opportunity to buy commercial airtime from that same broadcaster.

But what if the demand for advertising time exceeds the airtime available? The Broadcasting Arbitrator sets out the allocation of time and broadcasters must divide up the available advertising time on this equitable basis.
I think that this is somewhat simplified though. The broadcaster I think would have a number of loopholes to get out of it. Also it is my understanding the Arbitrator, like many of the CRTC functionaries are pretty much toothless in enforcing the regs that their organization trumpets out. The media companies get away with a lot of skeevy stuff before the shit really hits the fan, mostly ripping off their subscribers.
Having said that, I would have liked to have seen them run the ad out of fairness as well as it ended up having done a favor to Goldy by making her a free speech martyr of sorts.
I would place the matter somewhat in the category of political debates not giving time to fringe candidates that don't have a chance of winning.
Often unfair by not allowing a broader debate, but also often a practical matter of stopping swarms of kooks muddying the waters.

free thoughtpolice

The 'dumbass lawyer' was Clayton Ruby, member of the Order of Canada and Canada's most highly regarded constitional and civil rights lawyer, who takes clients from all over the political spectrum, including the very left wing Adbusters. Who is it that doesn't know shit about the law in Canada?
Most of the members of The Order of Canada are dumbasses. It's almost a plus for nomination.
If you have the cash, Ruby will show up in court and lose the case for you like he did for Goldy.
In 1991, Ruby was part of the legal team used by the Church of Scientology to defend itself and nine of its members who were on trial for stealing documents concerning Scientology from the Ontario Ministry of the Attorney General, the Canadian Mental Health Association, two police forces and other institutions. The case stemmed from a surprise raid of the Church of Scientology's Toronto headquarters in 1983 by more than a hundred policeman who seized an estimated 250,000 documents over the course of two days.[2][3] Legal maneuvers used by Ruby delayed the case for many years and he later unsuccessfully attempted to get the case dismissed because of "unreasonable delay."[2] On June 25, 1992, seven church members were convicted for operations against the Ontario Provincial Police, the Ontario Ministry of the Attorney General and the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP). The Church of Scientology itself was convicted on two counts of breach of the public trust (infiltration of the offices of the Ontario Provincial Police and the Ontario Ministry of the Attorney General) and was ordered to pay a $250,000 fine.[4][5]
I guess taking really weak cases that he could reasonably knew he would lose doesn't make him a dumbass, although presumably some may consider
it unethical.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

jugheadnaut wrote:
The only joke here is you. You make circa-2004 Daily Kos posts seem temperate, judicious, and well-informed.
Lighten up dumbass. You get your panties in a knot by my ridiculing self hating gay Lindsey Graham that has spent years opposing gay rights. As for bringing up the DS thing where you pointed out that Anglin calls even those not far from his own kin cucks and homos, that was the joke. If you don't like my sense of humor, tough shit.
Nuanced meta maliciously called out as ‘motte and bailey’ is a cruel claim indeed. And then to be unfairly ideologically pigeonholed. Mon Dieu!!

:lol:

free thoughtpolice

At least you agree that pigeonholing is a perverted practice. :snooty:

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

free thoughtpolice wrote: Matt Cavanaugh wrote:

It certainly sounds like it according to letter of what they say here:
Paid campaign advertising time
If a broadcaster sells advertising time to one candidate or party, other candidates and parties must also be given the opportunity to buy commercial airtime from that same broadcaster.

But what if the demand for advertising time exceeds the airtime available? The Broadcasting Arbitrator sets out the allocation of time and broadcasters must divide up the available advertising time on this equitable basis.
I think that this is somewhat simplified though. The broadcaster I think would have a number of loopholes to get out of it. Also it is my understanding the Arbitrator, like many of the CRTC functionaries are pretty much toothless in enforcing the regs that their organization trumpets out. The media companies get away with a lot of skeevy stuff before the shit really hits the fan, mostly ripping off their subscribers.
Having said that, I would have liked to have seen them run the ad out of fairness as well as it ended up having done a favor to Goldy by making her a free speech martyr of sorts.
I would place the matter somewhat in the category of political debates not giving time to fringe candidates that don't have a chance of winning.
Often unfair by not allowing a broader debate, but also often a practical matter of stopping swarms of kooks muddying the waters.
How about when the powers that be selectively include candidates without a chance of winning?

http://i.imgur.com/3itQtMC.jpg

I would have thought a signed contract (backed by regulatory framework) would carry weight.

Ps. It was surprisingly easy to find braided clip art. Who knew?

InfraRedBucket

Post by InfraRedBucket »

Talking of conspiracy nuts...
Alice Walker under fire for praise of 'antisemitic' David Icke book
The New York Times also faced criticism for publishing the Color Purple author’s recommendation without qualification
The New York Times Book Review and Alice Walker have come under criticism for comments the celebrated writer made in an interview with the publication in which she recommended a work by someone accused of antisemitism.

Asked what books were currently on her nightstand, Walker, the author of The Color Purple, mentioned among others And the Truth Shall Set You Free, by the controversial British figure David Icke. Icke, an author and public speaker in his own right, has long propounded a series of conspiracy theories in his work that many see as antisemitic.

“The book is an unhinged antisemitic conspiracy tract written by one of Britain’s most notorious antisemites,” wrote Tablet magazine’s Yair Rosenberg, among the most strident critics of Walker’s comment. Rosenberg also faulted the Times for failing to react to or qualify the contents of the book to its readers.

Icke has long claimed that a shadowy cabal controls the world, a familiar antisemitic trope.

“And like many conspiracy theorists, Icke claims that this secret conspiracy happens to be Jewish,” Rosenberg added.

Ideas in the book in question and much of his other work revolve around concepts expressed in the fraudulent antisemitic propaganda text The Protocols of the Elders of Zion.

This isn’t the first time Walker has expressed her affinity for Icke’s work or been accused herself of antisemitism. In 2013 Walker praised another Icke book in an interview for the British radio show Desert Island Discs.

A poem of hers from last year called It Is Our (Frightful) Duty has also been derided as antisemitic as well.

“By the Book is an interview and portrait of a public person through the lens of books; it is not a list of recommendations from our editors,” a New York Times spokesperson has said following the backlash.

“The subject’s answers are a reflection on that person’s personal tastes, opinions and judgments. As with any interview, the subject’s answers do not imply an endorsement by Times editors. Moreover, our editors do not offer background or weigh in on the books named in the By the Book column, whether the subject issues a positive or negative judgment on those books. Many people recommend books Times editors dislike, disdain or even abhor in the column.”
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/ ... -icke-book

free thoughtpolice

How about when the powers that be selectively include candidates without a chance of winning?
I gather you got that screengrab from a Goldy video. At the time that Bell rejected her ad she polled at 1%. She didn't get poll ratings above 3% until after she got banned and one some martyr points. So there is that.
Also, you talk about this signed contract. Do you have the terms of this contract so we can look at it?
I'm guessing there are clauses in it that neither of us are aware of.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:23 pm
I gather you got that screengrab from a Goldy video. At the time that Bell rejected her ad she polled at 1%. She didn't get poll ratings above 3% until after she got banned and one some martyr points. So there is that.
Also, you talk about this signed contract. Do you have the terms of this contract so we can look at it?
The terribly important question is why do you hate women? And why is the patriarchy defending them?

You are both trying to confuse me (and succeeding), but why?

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

jugheadnaut wrote:
Not going to comment on your alleged sense of humor, except you clearly weren't joking when you first made the "allegedly gay" claim, or using a DS article as your source when called on it and falsely stating Anglin was a colleague of PJW. The lipstick crack and Alex Jones video were monumentally lame attempts at humor which I saw little need to comment on.

And, no, I wasn't calling you an SJW, you ignorant imbecile. Daily Kos was founded in the early aughts as a hyperpartisan political group blog and became increasingly unhinged through the 2004 election and its aftermath, but this was well before identity politics became a major force in left wing politics.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Well this is peak bullshit. Goldy had her funding cut after raising ‘000s without cause or reason supplied.

The closest I can see terms-wise is:
campaigns we deem, at our sole discretion, to be in support of, or for the legal defence of alleged crimes associated with hate, violence, harassment, bullying, discrimination, terrorism or intolerance of any kind relating to race, ethnicity, national origin, religious affiliation, sexual orientation, sex, gender or gender identity or serious disabilities or diseases;
Which is crap.

Unless you play the joker:
GoFundMe reserves the right to refuse, condition, or suspend any Donations or other transactions that we believe in our sole discretion may violate the Terms of Service or harm the interests of our users, business partners, the public, or GoFundMe, or that expose you, GoFundMe, or others to risks unacceptable to us.
I’d say “well go build your own crowd funder” but you know. Paypal, MasterCard and stripe would fuck you over.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Got my arrows mixed up.

http://i.imgur.com/DQ2dYVO.jpg

I’ll ask Goldy for a copy of the contract. You are probably right that it was a non contracting contract.
But .... only if you share your timeline showing the intersection of polls and commercial activity. It was my recollection that there were stuff-all full polls and the one where she got the shocking 5% (Mainstreet) came relatively early in the peace. 3% was the election result.

Not that I’m sure of your point.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

I gather you got that screengrab from a Goldy video. At the time that Bell rejected her ad she polled at 1%. She didn't get poll ratings above 3%
The video grab was from a “normal” news website. The results are final ones from Wikipedia. The linking graphics are mine.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Jesus Christ.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

free thoughtpolice

Brive1987 wrote:
Holy shit! I got 5 minutes into 55 minutes of drivel. I will never forgive you until you can compensate for those 5 minutes of my life I will never get back. :twisted:

Keating

Post by Keating »

https://www.spin.com/2018/12/jack-dorse ... ir-amulet/
The rapper who allegedly received Dorsey’s facial hair, I’m very excited to share, was Azealia Banks. She tweeted about this exchange in 2016, writing that Dorsey “sent me his hair in an envelope because i was supposed to make him an amulet for protection.” At the time, Banks said Dorsey promised to promote her mixtape Slay-Z in exchange for her promoting his cash transfer app Square and her crafting him a magical object that might protect him from ISIS, which had threatened Dorsey in a video earlier that year.

Keating

Post by Keating »

Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:14 pm
Brive1987 wrote:
Holy shit! I got 5 minutes into 55 minutes of drivel. I will never forgive you until you can compensate for those 5 minutes of my life I will never get back. :twisted:
This is why YouTube allows you to double the video playback speed.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Brive1987 wrote: https..://youtu.be/qXVnznVa88A
Odd. Time flew for me.

In <10 mins she is discussing the contract and the legal strategy.

As a keen commentator you really should invest in this valuable piece of professional development.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

AndrewV69 wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:02 pm
I am reminded of several Canukistans and one in particular who are bewildered, puzzled, confused and completely unable to understand why so many immigrants he knows are absolutely opposed to immigration in general.

I have tried on several occasions to explain that some immigrants (like myself) came to Canada to get away from the same fucking people that Canada seems bent on fucking importing behind up.

He still does not get it. All I can see is that he has a stereotype, or assigned a group identity to all immigrants. Immigrants are a good. He is incapable of seeing individuals.

That is my theory anyway.
All immigrants good is even more stupid than all immigrants bad. Both sides incapable of seeing anything other than averages and ideologically rigid stereotypes.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Brive1987 wrote:
Odd. Time flew for me.

As a keen commentator you really should invest in this valuable piece of professional development.
I would suspect that if she has been wronged, she will have legal redress. Most of these videos are designed to rile up the base and entice monetary rewards. I would be more interested in an impartial attorney's read on the situation, but I suspect FtP us right about there being more than meets the eye.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

jugheadnaut wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:15 pm
jugheadnaut wrote:
Not going to comment on your alleged sense of humor, except you clearly weren't joking when you first made the "allegedly gay" claim, or using a DS article as your source when called on it and falsely stating Anglin was a colleague of PJW. The lipstick crack and Alex Jones video were monumentally lame attempts at humor which I saw little need to comment on.

And, no, I wasn't calling you an SJW, you ignorant imbecile. Daily Kos was founded in the early aughts as a hyperpartisan political group blog and became increasingly unhinged through the 2004 election and its aftermath, but this was well before identity politics became a major force in left wing politics.
So you were around when previous links to and quotes from articles from the Daily Stormer appeared from the person you are allegedly engaged with in civil discourse???

I would have thought, you would have realised by now what was up. Although, to tell the truth, for some time now it has occurred to me that I am not so sure myself, and in fact may not have a clue.

I believe I have a weird unorthodox sense of humour, but one thing about the 'Pit ... it has disabused me of the notion that I am the only one, and in fact it must be terribly unsophisticated compared to some.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:02 pm
I am reminded of several Canukistans and one in particular who are bewildered, puzzled, confused and completely unable to understand why so many immigrants he knows are absolutely opposed to immigration in general.

I have tried on several occasions to explain that some immigrants (like myself) came to Canada to get away from the same fucking people that Canada seems bent on fucking importing behind up.

He still does not get it. All I can see is that he has a stereotype, or assigned a group identity to all immigrants. Immigrants are a good. He is incapable of seeing individuals.

That is my theory anyway.
All immigrants good is even more stupid than all immigrants bad. Both sides incapable of seeing anything other than averages and ideologically rigid stereotypes.
Indeed. Of maybe some interest, a portion of my Facebook post comment in response to a recent National Post article (Trudeau says Conservatives putting Canada's future at risk with immigration 'misinformation'), and which quotes a Muslim Canadian university professor, Salim Mansur:
In addition, it seems rather disingenuous, at best, for Trudeau to even suggest that Canadians, in general, dispute "that immigration is [GENERALLY] good for the country". What he apparently seeks to sweep under the carpet is the fact that he and his "government" apparently think that all immigrants are created equal, and that some groups don't bring with them some rather problematic "baggage".

And on that score, he may wish to reflect on the testimony of a Muslim Canadian professor, Salim Mansur, at Canada's Standing Committee On Citizenship And Immigration some 6 years ago where he said, in part, the following:
Mansur wrote:"The flow of immigration into Canada from around the world, and in particular the flow from Muslim countries, means a pouring in of numbers into a liberal society of people from cultures at best non-liberal. But we know through our studies and observation that the illiberal mix of cultures poses one of the greatest dilemmas and an unprecedented challenge to liberal societies such as ours, when there is no demand placed on immigrants any longer to assimilate into the founding liberal values of the country to which they have immigrated. Instead, a misguided and thoroughly wrong-headed policy of multiculturalism encourages the opposite. ….

We should not allow bureaucratic inertia to determine not only the policy but the existing level of immigrant numbers and source origin that Canada brings in annually. We have the precedent of how we selectively closed immigration from the Soviet bloc countries during the Cold War years, and we need to consider doing the same in terms of immigration from Muslim countries for a period of time given how disruptive is the cultural baggage of illiberal values that is brought in as a result.

We are, in other words, stoking the fuel of much unrest in our country, as we have witnessed of late in Europe.

Lest any member wants to instruct me that my views are in any way politically incorrect, or worse, I would like members to note that I come before you as a practising Muslim who knows out of experience, from the inside, how volatile, how disruptive, how violent, how misogynistic is the culture of Islam today and has been during my lifetime, and how it greatly threatens our liberal democracy that I cherish, since I know what is its opposite."
Doubt most Canadians are really against immigration and immigrants per se. It's just that some groups - mostly Muslims but not exclusively - tend bring along some very "disruptive ... cultural baggage of illiberal values" with them.

SM1957

Post by SM1957 »

Brive1987 wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:55 pm
These are the rules that Bell were required to play by. Rules set by an independent public regulatory body.

Cool down. It's not like Bell accepted money to bake a cake and then refused to make a cake.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:
Odd. Time flew for me.

I would suspect that if she has been wronged, she will have legal redress. Most of these videos are designed to rile up the base and entice monetary rewards. I would be more interested in an impartial attorney's read on the situation, but I suspect FtP us right about there being more than meets the eye.
She addresses the pros and cons of continuing legal action in a post election environment.
It’s a bottomless pit of risk and possible ruin.

In any case, short of escalating to damages, the complaint needed to be addressed in a timely fashion, ie within the tight window engineered by Bell.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Wow.

They can’t even read. “Defence of crimes ...”

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

AndrewV69 wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:53 am
Tigzy wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:23 am
Kirbmarc wrote: Peter Hitchens is a conspiracy theorist, and dumb as a post:

Code: Select all

https://twitter.com/ClarkeMicah/status/1074587222379323392
"True his parents say that he was a fan of ISIS, he was on a list of suspected people with ties to religious extremism, and religious extremists are known to target criminals to recruit with the promise that their sins will be cleansed with martyrdom, but he drank and used drugs, so he can't possibly be a muslim terrorist! Checkmate, atheist!"
He has absolutely no clue about the jihadi mindset. Martyrdom in the name of jihad is a guaranteed ticket to heaven, no matter the amount of sins committed beforehand, or how wicked or blasphemous they might be. His reasoning is on the level of those imbeciles who think you can stop Isis types in their tracks by chucking pork as them, as if it were muslim kryptonite - ie, utterly ignorant.
Welp, my contribution but I am doubtful that it will help.

Well, you COULD always tweet Wafa Sultan's cogent summary ;-)

WafaSultan_MEMRI.jpg
(95.64 KiB) Downloaded 174 times

Covers the proverbial multitude of sins, particularly those of commission.

But the comments above remind me of a passage from Karen Armstrong's The Battle for God: A History of Fundamentalism in the "New Preface" referring to the World Trade Center bombings, and which speaks to those earlier comments:
Armstrong wrote:.... While bin Laden speaks in the traditional fundamentalist idiom of Sayyid Qutb, the hijackers, whom bin Laden, in Qutbian terms has described as "vanguard" could herald a wholly new type of fundamentalism, something that we have not seen before. Mohamed Atta, the Egyptian hijacker who was driving the first plane, was a near-alcoholic and was drinking vodka before he boarded the aircraft. Ziad Jarrahi, the alleged Lebanese hijacker of the plane that crashed in Pennsylvania, was also a drinker and frequented the nightclubs of Hamburg. ....

As this information emerged, I became aware that something very odd was happening. Muslims are forbidden by their religion to drink alcohol. .... No devout Muslim, or Jew, would dream of indulging in this kind of behavior. Most fundamentalists live strictly orthodox lives, and alcohol, nightclubs, and loose women are aspects of the jahiliyyah, the ignorant, godless barbarism that Muslim fundamentalists, following Sayyid Qutb's instructions, have vowed not only to abjure but also to eliminate. The hijackers seem to have gone out of their way not only to disobey the basic laws of the religion they have vowed to defend but to trample on the principles that motivate the traditional fundamentalist.

In these pages, I have described various antinomian movements in which people deliberately violate the most sacred norms in times of acute distress and change. These include the seventeenth-century Messiah figure, Shabbetai Zevi, his disciple Jakob Frank, and the revolutionary prophets of seventeenth-centruy England, who all advocated a form of "holy sin". The times were so desperate that something entirely new was required. Old values no longer applied; there had to be a new law, and a new freedom that could only be achieved by a flagrant disavowal of the old norms.

I have also shown that there is an inbuilt nihilsm in the more extreme forms of fundamentalism. Fundamentalists in all three faiths have cultivated fantasies of destruction and annihilation. .... This [the bizarre antics of Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker ...] was also a form of post-fundamentalism that seems to have encouraged an antinomian pursuit of "holy sin." Perhaps the hijackers of September 11 had also reached a point where they were evolving a form of Muslim antinomian post-fundamentalism too and felt nothing was sacred any longer. Once that point is reached, the most cruel and evil behaviour can be seen as a positive good. ....
Moot have much water that particular analysis holds, but certainly seems worth consideration. Fascinating book in any case, though it's been awhile since I read it.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Brive1987 wrote: Jesus Christ.

"Future cross-referencing."

https://i.imgur.com/3SNMnMB.png

BoxNDox

Post by BoxNDox »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote: Lighten up dumbass. You get your panties in a knot by my ridiculing self hating gay Lindsey Graham that has spent years opposing gay rights. As for bringing up the DS thing where you pointed out that Anglin calls even those not far from his own kin cucks and homos, that was the joke. If you don't like my sense of humor, tough shit.
Lindsay Graham should heed that last suggestion, too. He might finally lighten up a bit.
Talk about a sign of the apocalypse.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

InfraRedBucket wrote: Talking of conspiracy nuts...
The New York Times also faced criticism for publishing the Color Purple author’s recommendation without qualification
The New York Times Book Review and Alice Walker have come under criticism for comments the celebrated writer made in an interview with the publication in which she recommended a work by someone accused of antisemitism.

Asked what books were currently on her nightstand, Walker, the author of The Color Purple, mentioned among others And the Truth Shall Set You Free, by the controversial British figure David Icke. Icke, an author and public speaker in his own right, has long propounded a series of conspiracy theories in his work that many see as antisemitic.

“The book is an unhinged antisemitic conspiracy tract written by one of Britain’s most notorious antisemites,” wrote Tablet magazine’s Yair Rosenberg, among the most strident critics of Walker’s comment. Rosenberg also faulted the Times for failing to react to or qualify the contents of the book to its readers.

Icke has long claimed that a shadowy cabal controls the world, a familiar antisemitic trope.

“And like many conspiracy theorists, Icke claims that this secret conspiracy happens to be Jewish,” Rosenberg added.

Ideas in the book in question and much of his other work revolve around concepts expressed in the fraudulent antisemitic propaganda text The Protocols of the Elders of Zion.

This isn’t the first time Walker has expressed her affinity for Icke’s work or been accused herself of antisemitism. In 2013 Walker praised another Icke book in an interview for the British radio show Desert Island Discs.

A poem of hers from last year called It Is Our (Frightful) Duty has also been derided as antisemitic as well.

“By the Book is an interview and portrait of a public person through the lens of books; it is not a list of recommendations from our editors,” a New York Times spokesperson has said following the backlash.

“The subject’s answers are a reflection on that person’s personal tastes, opinions and judgments. As with any interview, the subject’s answers do not imply an endorsement by Times editors. Moreover, our editors do not offer background or weigh in on the books named in the By the Book column, whether the subject issues a positive or negative judgment on those books. Many people recommend books Times editors dislike, disdain or even abhor in the column.”
The funny thing about David Icke (okay, one of the funny things) is that he is not an anti-semite, on the simple basis that when he talks of shadowy cabals of shapeshifting reptile aliens, he literally means shadowy cabals of shapeshifting reptile aliens. He's not using antisemitic codewords here. However, as illustrated in Jon Ronson's book Them: Encounters With Extremists (and Ronson, himself a Jew, is also absolutely certain that Icke is being literal in his talk of reptile aliens), the problem is that Icke attracts a significant antisemitic following who do believe that he's either using codewords, or that his only mistake is to believe that Jews and reptile aliens are mutually exclusive. In short, Icke is a very easily duped individual who has the unfortunate habit of attracting Jew-haters, rather like a certain Leader of the Opposition in the UK - though admittedly, Icke generally talks a lot more sense than Jeremy Corbyn.

Driftless

Post by Driftless »

Tigzy wrote:
The funny thing about David Icke (okay, one of the funny things) is that he is not an anti-semite, on the simple basis that when he talks of shadowy cabals of shapeshifting reptile aliens, he literally means shadowy cabals of shapeshifting reptile aliens. He's not using antisemitic codewords here. However, as illustrated in Jon Ronson's book Them: Encounters With Extremists (and Ronson, himself a Jew, is also absolutely certain that Icke is being literal in his talk of reptile aliens), the problem is that Icke attracts a significant antisemitic following who do believe that he's either using codewords, or that his only mistake is to believe that Jews and reptile aliens are mutually exclusive. In short, Icke is a very easily duped individual who has the unfortunate habit of attracting Jew-haters, rather like a certain Leader of the Opposition in the UK - though admittedly, Icke generally talks a lot more sense than Jeremy Corbyn.
So what is worse: Alice Walker likes David Icke because she understands that he means literal shape-shifting reptiles, or that she likes David Icke because she thinks he is using ant-semitic codewords?

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Tigzy wrote: The funny thing about David Icke (okay, one of the funny things) is that he is not an anti-semite, on the simple basis that when he talks of shadowy cabals of shapeshifting reptile aliens, he literally means shadowy cabals of shapeshifting reptile aliens. He's not using antisemitic codewords here. However, as illustrated in Jon Ronson's book Them: Encounters With Extremists (and Ronson, himself a Jew, is also absolutely certain that Icke is being literal in his talk of reptile aliens), the problem is that Icke attracts a significant antisemitic following who do believe that he's either using codewords, or that his only mistake is to believe that Jews and reptile aliens are mutually exclusive. In short, Icke is a very easily duped individual who has the unfortunate habit of attracting Jew-haters, rather like a certain Leader of the Opposition in the UK - though admittedly, Icke generally talks a lot more sense than Jeremy Corbyn.
He does a good job at sounding like an anti-semite, though:
David Icke wrote:Israel is not a home for Jewish people. Let us not mince words here. The time for pussyfooting around is over. Israel is a base for the terrorists who created and control that state to operate, on behalf of the House of Rothschild and the Elite, a global terror and manipulation network. That is why it was created after the war and the influence of its intelligence ann, Mossad, is so vast for such a tiny country because Mossad is really the intelligence agency of the Rothschild-Rockefeller-
Global Elite, while genuine Jewish people who live in Israel (the vast, vast majority) are used as an innocent front, a smokescreen, for this.
B’nai B’rith means ‘Sons of the Alliance’ and was established in 1843. Many of its speakers openly supported slavery during the American Civil War and it covertly supports and controls the Ku Klux Klan.
Lansky (Israel) was trailing John Kennedy for a long time and, of course, Lansky hated the Kennedy family because of his conflict with Father Joe. It was a Lansky henchman on the West Coast called Mickey Cohen who was behind the introduction of Kennedy to the film star, Marilyn Monroe, after which they began a now much publicised relationship. The vehicle for this meeting was Cohen's close friend, the entertainer Joey Bishop, who was a member of the Frank Sinatra clique known as "The Rat Pack". The idea was to use Monroe to pump Kennedy for information about his attitude to Israel, should he become president. She was, of course, later murdered, although it was made to look like "suicide". Those who killed her also killed Kennedy.
"Israel is just a base for terrorism and manipulation, a Jewish organization secretly controls the Ku Klux Klan, and Meyer Lansky, on behalf of Israel, killed Marilyn Monroe and Kennedy. I have no evidence of this, but I'm not against Jews, I'm just asking questions about secret reptiles from outer space" Suuuure.

If someone wrote that the US are just a secret base for terrorism and manipulation, that an American society secretly controls ISIS, and that the US killed Gandhi, I'd say that they're pretty anti-American, even if they say that the real enemy are some bugs from Venus.

Now I'm not the biggest Israel supporter in the world, I think that the idea of a "Jewish state" is wrong in itself and far too close to ethno-nationalism or theocracy to produce any sort of good outcomes (and indeed the Israeli-Palestinian conflict shows exactly that) and I also think that Israel, just like Saudi Arabia or Turkey or Qatar, has a powerful political lobby in the US. Israel is more secular and democratic than any of its surrounding countries, but it's still engaging in identity politics and undue political pressure (and very recently allying itself with the KSA against Iran, indirectly supporting all the shit that the Saudis are pulling in Syria and Yemen).

But the shit that Icke writes are basically blood libel idiocy similar to the conspiracies about Jewish doctors hacking Palestinian children in half to sell their organs, or about how ISIS is secretly just a Jewish plot, both of which I've heard repeated MANY times in muslim circles, along with a lot of that drivel.

If he's not an anti-semite he's at least pandering to them to sell them his crazy idea of the reptile invasion.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Just to clarify: I think that Israel, as a sovereign state, has the right to exist and people who live and have born there have the right to live and stay there. It's the "Jewish state" idea which is bullshit and creates lots of conflicts. A more secular, less identitarian country would have probably led to less conflict in the long run, and if they carry on with the identitarian shit they'll have lots of issues in the future with the growing Israeli Arab/muslim community.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Tigzy wrote: rather like a certain Leader of the Opposition in the UK - though admittedly, Icke generally talks a lot more sense than Jeremy Corbyn
That made I larf ... :lol: :clap:

free thoughtpolice

Kirbmarc wrote:
If someone wrote that the US are just a secret base for terrorism and manipulation, that an American society secretly controls ISIS, and that the US killed Gandhi, I'd say that they're pretty anti-American, even if they say that the real enemy are some bugs from Venus.
If they said that Obama founded ISIS, the US is run by an evil cabal called the deep state, that the power elite are all child rapers, and that Bill and Killary had dozens murdered to hide their sick crimes you would have a patriotic Trump supporter.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

free thoughtpolice wrote: If they said that Obama founded ISIS, the US is run by an evil cabal called the deep state, that the power elite are all child rapers, and that Bill and Killary had dozens murdered to hide their sick crimes you would have a patriotic Trump supporter.
You forgot the part about the way to prevent forest fires is to clear-cut forests (and then rake up after.)

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Kirbmarc wrote: He does a good job at sounding like an anti-semite, though:
Perhaps he hopes to convince antisemites that the real danger is the alien reptiles; that their prejudice is correct in spirit but mistaken in who the real culprits are. It is true that Icke has often pointed out the Rothchilds as a particularly notorious example of what these 'elite familes' get up to - but from what I've read about him, the fact that they are Jewish is incidental the fact that they are literal shapeshifting reptile aliens (he does, after all, also point the finger at infamous non-Jewish families too, such as the Rockefellers). So it's either that, or he could be genuinely oblivious to how exceedingly close his, uh, theories sound to antisemitic conspiracies. Let's face it, Icke is not a very nuanced thinker.

Pretty damn sure he honestly believes in the existence of these reptile aliens, though. I mean, considering the ridicule one is likely to face in venturing such a prospect, you'd have to be utterly mad to do so unless you honestly, genuinely believed it. In which case, you'd be mad anyway. :D

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

InfraRedBucket wrote: Talking of conspiracy nuts...

Fairly certain Alice Walker got called out for championing Icke about 5-6 years ago.

I remember quite a few "skeptics" criticising her. I suspect some of those would now stay silent.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Was trying to remember who Peter Hitchens reminded me of regarding his sucking up to Islam, and his whitewashing of the negative influence and dogma inherent in Islam, and Christianity for that matter.

Then I thought, it was Karen Armstrong.

CaptainFluffyBunny

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Okay then! :think:

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

free thoughtpolice wrote: Kirbmarc wrote:
If they said that Obama founded ISIS, the US is run by an evil cabal called the deep state, that the power elite are all child rapers, and that Bill and Killary had dozens murdered to hide their sick crimes you would have a patriotic Trump supporter.
Wellll, now that you mention it ... ;-)
Now the truth emerges: how the US fuelled the rise of Isis in Syria and Iraq
Seumas Milne

The sectarian terror group won’t be defeated by the western states that incubated it in the first place

The war on terror, that campaign without end launched 14 years ago by George Bush, is tying itself up in ever more grotesque contortions. On Monday the trial in London of a Swedish man, Bherlin Gildo, accused of terrorism in Syria, collapsed after it became clear British intelligence had been arming the same rebel groups the defendant was charged with supporting.

But terrorism is now squarely in the eye of the beholder. And nowhere is that more so than in the Middle East, where today’s terrorists are tomorrow’s fighters against tyranny – and allies are enemies – often at the bewildering whim of a western policymaker’s conference call. ....

Which is pretty well exactly what happened two years later. The report isn’t a policy document. It’s heavily redacted and there are ambiguities in the language. But the implications are clear enough. A year into the Syrian rebellion, the US and its allies weren’t only supporting and arming an opposition they knew to be dominated by extreme sectarian groups; they were prepared to countenance the creation of some sort of “Islamic state” – despite the “grave danger” to Iraq’s unity – as a Sunni buffer to weaken Syria.

That doesn’t mean the US created Isis, of course, though some of its Gulf allies certainly played a role in it – as the US vice-president, Joe Biden, acknowledged last year. But there was no al-Qaida in Iraq until the US and Britain invaded. And the US has certainly exploited the existence of Isis against other forces in the region as part of a wider drive to maintain western control. ....
Plenty of blame to go around but hard not to conclude that Obama - particularly in his pandering to his co-religionists, in his congenital inability to say "Islamic terrorism" - had substantial responsibility for that:
How President Obama Made Syria An Unfixable Quagmire

With nearly half a million dead and U.S. proxies fighting each other, Syria represents a failure of U.S. strategy and a lack of presidential leadership.

It didn’t have to be like this.

The Los Angeles Times reported yesterday that Syrian opposition forces backed by the CIA and the Pentagon are now fighting each other. (Buzzfeed’s Mike Giglio actually wrote this story more than a month ago, with the simple but true headline: “America Is In A Proxy War With Itself In Syria.”) The Syrian conflagration has entered the phase where pretty much everyone shoots at everyone else: “Any faction that attacks us,” an officer from the one of the CIA-supported groups told the LA Times, “regardless from where it gets its support, we will fight it.” ....
And one might reasonably argue that "the Deep State" is little better than the latest euphemism for the Military-Industrial Complex against which no less a luminary than President Eisenhower railed:
Donald Trump Goes All In for the Military-Industrial Complex

The president’s address signaled his plans for domestic austerity and military bloat.

By John Nichols

This is the realization of the worst fears that Eisenhower addressed, not just in his 1953 “Cross of Iron” speech but in the final address of his presidency, which warned that “we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex.”

“We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes,” said the 34th president. “We should take nothing for granted. Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals so that security and liberty may prosper together.”
A bit "problematic" though that Trump seems willing to pander to the same group that he and many of his supporters argue are out to "get him". And if you think that the CIA itself isn't part and parcel of that problematic "deep state", you might consider:

And while this appears to be a misattribution or maybe a paraphrase, Kennedy is reported to have said, "I will splinter the CIA into a thousand pieces and scatter it into the wind."

In any case, it's nice to see, finally - better late than never, some solid bipartisan efforts to draw a line in the sand in the face of those willing to sacrifice principles for their bottom lines - or maybe simply jobs:

(*cough "lesser of two weevils" *cough)

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

free thoughtpolice wrote: Kirbmarc wrote:
Well, you can compare Trump fans to Icke fans, I guess. There's probably an overlap. Maybe one day Trump will tweet about lizard people in the deep state.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

CommanderTuvok wrote: Was trying to remember who Peter Hitchens reminded me of regarding his sucking up to Islam, and his whitewashing of the negative influence and dogma inherent in Islam, and Christianity for that matter.

Then I thought, it was Karen Armstrong.
LoL. "speaking of whom ..." ;-)

But yea, indeed - "sucking up to and whitewashing". At the very least she still retains or manifests a rather problematic "soft spot" for faith in general, on which I think Jerry Coyne periodically rails against.

Haven't read much of her beyond that "The Battle for God: A History of Fundamentalism", but one might still reasonably argue that that soft-spot gives her criticisms of fundamentalism a bit more weight and credibility, not to mention a broader reach.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Penny Marshall is dead, the Fonz will be next.

:bjarte:

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Patreon has doubled down on Sargon. As a wise man has just observed, its now bad-think to criticise the alt right using their own fruity language while off platform.

https://patreonhq.com/hate-speech-on-pa ... 19zYlY-Ws4

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Brive1987 wrote: Penny Marshall is dead, the Fonz will be next.

Ask not for whom the bell tolls and all that. As I think Stalin said, the death of one is a tragedy, the death of a million is a statistic. And we're a fucken dying breed - so to speak; something like 70 million of us shuffle off this mortal coil every year.

But hard not to see that many of our actions are motivated by an uncomfortable realization that we're all on the edge of eternal oblivion - one foot in the grave, and the other on a banana peel. A common thread running through much if not all of society: from grabbing at straws (*cough religion *cough), to a hardly less desperate hope in "The Singularity", to a more or less pathological - though quite understandable - recourse to "soma" of one sort or another.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Any guesses as to Jack Conte's testosterone levels? That little white nigger talks like a faggot.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Schlemeil, Schlimazel Hasenpfeffer Incorporated!

Trump would have saved Shotz Brewery.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Brive1987 wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:46 am
Patreon has doubled down on Sargon. As a wise man has just observed, its now bad-think to criticise the alt right using their own fruity language while off platform.

A lot of comments indicating that they are not buying it.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Any guesses as to Jack Conte's testosterone levels? That little white nigger talks like a faggot.
All internet Jacks are wild.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:06 am
Just to clarify: I think that Israel, as a sovereign state, has the right to exist and people who live and have born there have the right to live and stay there. It's the "Jewish state" idea which is bullshit and creates lots of conflicts. A more secular, less identitarian country would have probably led to less conflict in the long run, and if they carry on with the identitarian shit they'll have lots of issues in the future with the growing Israeli Arab/muslim community.
I am pretty pessimistic because it is clear to me the issue is not solvable without a genocide.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

AndrewV69 wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:46 am

A lot of comments indicating that they are not buying it.
It’s as if they hadn’t reviewed their opponents argument and prepared accordingly. Complete obliviousness which screams arrogance and crazy eyed zeal.

A winning strategy to be sure. From some perspectives at least ....

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

AndrewV69 wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:06 am
I am pretty pessimistic because it is clear to me the issue is not solvable without a genocide.
This is why Kirb should be an academic rather than running wild in the real world.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Steersman wrote:
Brive1987 wrote: Penny Marshall is dead, the Fonz will be next.

Ask not for whom the bell tolls and all that. As I think Stalin said, the death of one is a tragedy, the death of a million is a statistic. And we're a fucken dying breed - so to speak; something like 70 million of us shuffle off this mortal coil every year.

But hard not to see that many of our actions are motivated by an uncomfortable realization that we're all on the edge of eternal oblivion - one foot in the grave, and the other on a banana peel. A common thread running through much if not all of society: from grabbing at straws (*cough religion *cough), to a hardly less desperate hope in "The Singularity", to a more or less pathological - though quite understandable - recourse to "soma" of one sort or another.
Have you ever considered getting a job as an obituary writer?