Fuck off, Jamie!

Old subthreads
comhcinc

Re: Fuck off, Jamie!

Post by comhcinc »

MarcusAu wrote:
comhcinc wrote: work, and wants to crush as much puss as possible. That actually isn't all that uncommon.

So in the modern parlance, come at me bro.
<no Gif - though are are looking well in that one Com.>
The trick is making a case why anyone should give a shit about him. Especially, if as you put it, he is not a particularly remarkable individual.
My case is at some point Bob Price is going to die and Carrier is actually okay on a lot of that Jesus is a myth stuff (his whole I can prove it with maths is stupid as fuck).

Also, I did see Carrier live in a debate once way before this shit started. It's something along the lines of "Is God Good" and I have to say he did a very good job.

So yeah he's the 3rd string QB but sometimes that's all you got.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

I like Doctor Robert M Price (mindvendor.com) too.

But even he says of his mythicist position that it is the minority one. I've heard him describe it as the veil of history hangs so thickly across the ages that we cannot really say anything about the character of Jesus (if there was such a person) at all - or at least words to that effect. Which sounds pretty reasonable to my (inexpert) ears.

That said - I don't really hang my (belief) hat on the existence / non-existence of the historical person of Jesus.

You may have a point as to debates - organised religion has not gone away after all - so there will always be someone prepared to stretch things a little too far.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

comhcinc wrote: I think Richard Carrier can be saved.

He is just a guy who has some ideas
Could you outline one?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

comhcinc wrote: Carrier is actually okay on a lot of that Jesus is a myth stuff
Just how familiar are you with his arguments?

You need to get out more.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

I'm sure he could at least create a silhouette.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

InfraRedBucket wrote: https://cdn.ricochet.com/wp-content/upl ... 00x480.jpg

RCarrier : " Two coffees , please"
Bartender: "Sorry, we're out of cream for your coffee"
RC: "It's Ok, I've brought my own."
B:"Second thoughts, I'm outa coffee too."
here's a joke:
Dr. Richard Carrier, Ph.D., walks into a bar.
The priest, the rabbi, all the patrons, and the entire staff walk out.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
comhcinc wrote: I think Richard Carrier can be saved.

He is just a guy who has some ideas
Could you outline one?
Sure!
Richard Carrier wrote:"It might be TMI, so don’t read on if you don’t want to hear sex stuff about me, but I’ll say this because I think it’s important to your point: I’m a semen fetishist, so I enjoy all kinds of semen play with women, including facials, which I find quite sexy, provided she is into it. And in point of fact, many of my girlfriends are not (though some are), and I never expect them to be. So my example above is reversed in this case: they know what I like and why, but also that I’d never ask them to do it, much less pressure them to. And that doesn’t leave me disappointed, either, because what we are into together is perfectly exciting."
Not a particularly good idea, but an idea nonetheless (also, no hokey Bayesian thinking).

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

MarcusAu wrote: I'm sure he could at least create a silhouette.
Of Carrier? We already have one:

:cdc:

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

MarcusAu wrote: I like Doctor Robert M Price (mindvendor.com) too.
https://www.patreon.com/robertmprice/memberships If you haven't already you should be giving the old dude at least a dollar a month. I do and I wish I could give him more. He produces and shares a lot of entertainment/knowledge.
MarcusAu wrote: But even he says of his mythicist position that it is the minority one. I've heard him describe it as the veil of history hangs so thickly across the ages that we cannot really say anything about the character of Jesus (if there was such a person) at all - or at least words to that effect. Which sounds pretty reasonable to my (inexpert) ears.

That said - I don't really hang my (belief) hat on the existence / non-existence of the historical person of Jesus.
I honestly have never really thought all that hard about it. I don't think it matters but I do find it interesting. But I beleive this is a minority opinion that is worth having around.
MarcusAu wrote: You may have a point as to debates - organised religion has not gone away after all - so there will always be someone prepared to stretch things a little too far.
The little hobbit is no Hitchens but he honestly isn't bad in a debate setting.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
comhcinc wrote: Carrier is actually okay on a lot of that Jesus is a myth stuff
Just how familiar are you with his arguments?
I am not going to pretend I am an expert on Carrier and all his arguments. I know his "because math" is about as retarded as you can get. Doesn't mean some of the other things he points out (Price name drops him from time to time in a positive light for example) are complete shit too.
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Are you saying you want to hang out?

http://replygif.net/i/769.gif

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

Really? wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:33 pm

Sad to say, but the skeptic/humanist/atheist/rationalist/theophobic communities are dead. What can one do? Go to TAM? Hope for a panel at Skepticon? Do a panel with Lilindra Ra's friend without getting torpedoed?

It's over.
We will always miss heydays of yore, back when the Four Horsemen were riding high and readily available on paper at Borders Books.

That said, it's not nearly over. National events are still happening.

And let's not forget freelance pub tours... :mrgreen:
Ape+lust wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:11 pm
Carrier's gearing up to do one of his bar tours next month. It's a strange thing for a public intellectual to do, driving to liquor dumps in random cities and sleeping it off on strange couches.

But then, you remember he's a playa with a nationwide harem. They need refreshing with Carrier Goo once in a while.

https://imgur.com/DkTi1M3.jpg
Well, hey, look at that.

One-52 Bar & Grill is local to OKC.

Now I have to decide whether or not it would be safe to bring a date.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

comhcinc wrote:
MarcusAu wrote: You may have a point as to debates - organised religion has not gone away after all - so there will always be someone prepared to stretch things a little too far.
The little hobbit is no Hitchens but he honestly isn't bad in a debate setting.
Wait til you see him in a mass debate setting. Be sure to bring a towel, though.

InfraRedBucket

Post by InfraRedBucket »

d4m10n wrote:
It's a (sad) sign of the times that I first read that as saying CISCon.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Snapfingers wrote: You got it wrong. Let me demonstrate how these things work for the patron:

https://cdn.ricochet.com/wp-content/upl ... 00x480.jpg

*magnificence snipped*
Man, solo: Good evening Paul, Mary.

Duo, in duality: Good evening Richard.

Man: Glad to see you could make it. Sure is a lovely coffee shop they opened here in your small Midwestern town. *Harmonica and acoustic guitar combine to evoke thoughts of pasture, cows, and endlessly straight roads leading to a time and place beyond remembering* Glad to see Starbucks is no longer the only game in town.

Duo: Smash the capitalist state. *Woman nibbles delicately on a biscotti. Man gorges desperately and noisily on a whole broiled squid, prepared in the Greek style*

Man: I have a set of skills.

Duo: And we also.

Man: You cannot know what awaits.

Duo: We cannot. But we desire.

Man: Shh, now. For there is time enough to come.

Duo: What will be done unto us?

Man: Things. Things beyond your imagining. There will be pleasure, yes. There will also be pain. And disgust. And regret.

Duo: We shall regret nothing.

Man: *laughs briefly, sardonically, wistfully, sadly* *whispers to self* They always say that before...it...happens.

Duo: Come. Return to our house, for it is close by this place. Return with us and do unto us what you must.

Man: Yes! Fucking sweet! I'm going to burst your assholes, bitches. And if, in the course of things...*fade to black*

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

comhcinc wrote: I am not going to pretend I am an expert on Carrier and all his arguments. I know his "because math" is about as retarded as you can get. Doesn't mean some of the other things he points out (Price name drops him from time to time in a positive light for example) are complete shit too.
Price has produced a lot of good work of his own, as well as useful digests of the work of the Dutch Radicals, Tübingen School, and contemporaries such as Eisenman and Einhorn. Before putting forth his own crackpot theories (which range far beyond just a misapplication of bayesian analysis), Carrier piggy-backed off Price's work, which made him sound somewhat reasonable. Carrier, however, seems either completely ignorant or dismissive of the bulk of philological & theological study done on the historicity of the NT.

Just one example: Carrier accepts the orthodox view that seven of the Pauline epistles are "authentic", yet by the mid-19th century, certain leading German philologists (who'd be classified today as 'mythicists') had whittled that down to four, then none. Even many Christian theologians accept that the 'authentic' letters are pastiches riddled with redaction.

Carrier recently made a complete fool of himself by taking on the leading Pauline expert, Hermann Detering. I won't link to Carrier's blogpost, but the English translation of Detering's scathing reply can be found here:
http://www.mythicistpapers.com/2016/06/ ... er-pt-1-2/

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Are you saying you want to hang out?
I'm always eager to talk about the historicity of the NT. In addition to Price's books and his online summaries of 19th century 'mythicists', I'd recommend Doherty, and the above-mentioned Detering (most of his writing is in German, but his The Fabricated Paul is available in English, on Kindle, and well worth the c. $13). The Vridar blog is chock=full of fascinating material, though Neil Godfrey can be a bit of a twat at times, and continues to associate with Carrier despite having extensively shredded his scholarship. Rodger Parvus' series at Vridar, A Simonian Origin for Christianity, is must=read:
https://vridar.org/other-authors/roger- ... istianity/

Rene Salm's Mythicist Papers has interesting posts by Salm as well as a repository of earlier mythicist works:
http://www.mythicistpapers.com

Also check out Tim Claasan:
https://timsteppingout.wordpress.com

And Michael Turton:
http://michaelturton2.blogspot.com

That's just for starters. Carrier's not the 3rd string QB; he's not even on the practice squad.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

OG Horse, I am at work but I am going to dive into your list there later.

Just keep in mind I did add the caveat that I think it's going to take 15 years.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

That's just for starters. Carrier's not the 3rd string QB; he's not even on the practice squad.
And truth be told he struck out with the cheerleader squad. :twatson:

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
And truth be told he struck out with the cheerleader squad. :twatson:
Like all 3rd string QBs.

Hey bear are you still following that crazy brother Jonathan or whatever?

free thoughtpolice

Brother Nathanael has lost his edge lately and is getting a bit repetitive. I blame the Jews.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
Brother Nathanael has lost his edge lately and is getting a bit repetitive. I blame the Jews.
It must be hard to keep up such batshit insanity all the time. Gotta give him a pass every now and then.

ThreeFlangedJavis

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

d4m10n wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:35 am
Really? wrote:

Sad to say, but the skeptic/humanist/atheist/rationalist/theophobic communities are dead. What can one do? Go to TAM? Hope for a panel at Skepticon? Do a panel with Lilindra Ra's friend without getting torpedoed?

It's over.
We will always miss heydays of yore, back when the Four Horsemen were riding high and readily available on paper at Borders Books.

Ape+lust wrote:
Carrier's gearing up to do one of his bar tours next month. It's a strange thing for a public intellectual to do, driving to liquor dumps in random cities and sleeping it off on strange couches.

But then, you remember he's a playa with a nationwide harem. They need refreshing with Carrier Goo once in a while.

Well, hey, look at that.

TBH I think the conversation has moved on from the days of the 4. The rise of the SJWs and the emergence of Jordan Peterson has given a lot of atheists pause to reconsider the possible consequences of going cold turkey on religion and to think a little more deeply about how tightly religious legacy is woven into even secular Western thought. In Peterson's latest Rogan appearance he made a good point about one of the positive effects of new media. In the past media discussion was limited to brief skirmishes, often producing more heat than light. Now we have access to 3 hour discussions which we can view at will. Traditional MSM have been left in the dust.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

On the value of three hour discussions...well it all depends....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Yp6ZdCIE3k

There's a quote contributed to Chinese premier, Zhou Enlai who when asked about the effects of the French revolution reportedly replied that it was "too early to say". I feel sometimes that we are currently all waiting around to see what shakes out.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote: and the emergence of Jordan Peterson has given a lot of atheists pause
https://media3.giphy.com/media/3oKIPy51 ... /giphy.gif

The only atheist I have seen say anything about Peterson is the bible reloaded and they seem to just enjoy mocking the shit out of him.

Really?

Post by Really? »

d4m10n wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:35 am
Really? wrote:

It's over.

Ape+lust wrote:

Well, hey, look at that.

CSICon looks fun because it is essentially TAM, but AA turned SJW. CFI turned SJW. FFRF. American Humanists. The Reason Rally. Skepticon. Mythicist Milwaukee is interesting, but it is more about looking at SJW shit in an open light.

Skepticism is the sideshow and politics are the main attraction now. In the olden days, it was about trying to influence society and politics in such a manner that reason prevails. Now it is about making all of the bathrooms transgender because transwomen are women full stop.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Really? wrote: ...because transwomen are women full stop.
Well as Steersman might say they are certainly not women period.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

MarcusAu wrote:
So if Steerman sleep with a whore who couldn't have children and there are only two sexes does that make him at the very least bi?

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

You'd have to ask - but based on past answers I think yes.

It's quite interesting to think that someone using birth control has (temporarily at least) given up their sex/gender.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

comhcinc wrote:
MarcusAu wrote:
So if Steerman sleep with a whore who couldn't have children and there are only two sexes does that make him at the very least bi?
It'd make the prostitute robosexual.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_AIkWSJ039r8/T ... 00/fut.jpg

Driftless

Post by Driftless »

comhcinc wrote:
ThreeFlangedJavis wrote: and the emergence of Jordan Peterson has given a lot of atheists pause
https://media3.giphy.com/media/3oKIPy51 ... /giphy.gif

The only atheist I have seen say anything about Peterson is the bible reloaded and they seem to just enjoy mocking the shit out of him.
See his recap of the talks with Sam Harris. I see nothing religious in the supernatural sense in Jordan Peterson's position:

https://jordanbpeterson.com/philosophy/ ... ns-part-i/

Looks more like the is/ought gap to me.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Driftless wrote:

See his recap of the talks with Sam Harris.
No. From what I have seen at least he is some old Canadian who is just saying stuff everyone already knows. At most he is a con artist.

I can think of better ways to spend my time.

https://media.giphy.com/media/l0QPbEVEBl44g/giphy.gif

John D

Post by John D »

comhcinc wrote:
Driftless wrote:

See his recap of the talks with Sam Harris.
No. From what I have seen at least he is some old Canadian who is just saying stuff everyone already knows. At most he is a con artist.

I can think of better ways to spend my time.

https://media.giphy.com/media/l0QPbEVEBl44g/giphy.gif
I am pretty sure you still haven't even cleaned your room.....

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

MarcusAu wrote: So if Steerman sleep with a whore who couldn't have children and there are only two sexes does that make him at the very least bi?
I don't know about gender, but Steers is definitely binary.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

MarcusAu wrote: You'd have to ask - but based on past answers I think yes.
Is black a colour? Is zero a number? Kind of difficult to argue that the absence of a sex - male or female - is a sex itself. So "bisexual" would seem incongruous, inconsistent, and a non sequitur at best.
MarcusAu wrote: It's quite interesting to think that someone using birth control has (temporarily at least) given up their sex/gender.
Exactly. Hadn't thought of this before, but I was amused at this quite justifiable argument - in a comment in an article by Barbara Kay on transgenderism (The Torah and Transgenderism) - that men who go and have vasectomies are, technically speaking at least, no longer men:
.... In her zeal to condemn those who she disagrees with, the author also ignores elephants in the room. She condemns gender reassignment surgery and its "commitment to permanent, artificially imposed sterility" as "ineluctably unJewish" but ignores vasectomy -- which also constitutes "permanent, artificially imposed sterility", is absolutely prohibited by halacha, and must be hundreds of times more common than gender reassignment surgery. There have to be hundreds of Jewish men in Canada permanently sterilizing themselves every year, which is also "ineluctably unJewish", but nary a peep about that here. ....
But, speaking of transwomen not being women - period, so to speak - you might check out this tweet and the UK Goverment site linked (somewhere in the thread) about the "consultation process" they've initiated:

Reform of the Gender Recognition Act 2004

They blather on about:
This consultation does not consider the question of whether trans people exist, whether they have the right to legally change their gender, or whether it is right for a person of any age to identify with another gender, or with no gender. Trans and non-binary people are members of our society and should be treated with respect. Trans people already have the right to legally change their gender, and there is no suggestion of this right being removed. This consultation simply asks how best government might make the existing process under the Gender Recognition Act a better service for those trans and non-binary people who wish to use it.
But the elephant in the room, the rather large cloud of flies in the ointment, is the fact that their position is largely predicated, apparently, on the conflating of sex and gender, that saying that one is female doesn't actually make one that. Lysenkoism, part deux.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Shatterface wrote:
MarcusAu wrote: So if Steerman sleep with a whore who couldn't have children and there are only two sexes does that make him at the very least bi?
:-) It's binary, all the way down.

More or less in any case - maybe moot whether that was the case "prior" to the Big Bang, or likely to be the case at the "time" of the "Big Crunch", questions generally well outside my salary range.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Well cheers for not taking offence Steers - but I think it's only fair to note that at least some of those quotes above have been misattributed to me.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Driftless wrote:
See his recap of the talks with Sam Harris. I see nothing religious in the supernatural sense in Jordan Peterson's position:

https://jordanbpeterson.com/philosophy/ ... ns-part-i/

Looks more like the is/ought gap to me.
You know if you really want people to do this - I think the time is well past due to give Peterson his own thread.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

MarcusAu wrote: Well cheers for not taking offence Steers - but I think it's only fair to note that at least some of those quotes above have been misattributed to me.
Thick skin - sticks and stones and all that. :-) Though I'm amused to recollect that, in a long-ago conversation over at the sadly defunct Choice in Dying blog, Ophelia Benson took me to task for using that aphorism, arguing that it was the worst one ever invented.

But really hadn't noticed the borked quote.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Shatterface wrote:
Dressed in his finery,
And thinking in binary,
Steers applied logic to life.

"Women have fannies,
(Except for those trannies),
So why can't I find me a wife"?

His thinking kept going,
Processors not slowing,
As he pondered this question and more.

The answer it came,
And feeling quite game,
"I know, let me ask a whore".

"Crystal," he said,
To the gal in his bed,
"You have ovaries and surely a womb".

"So answer me this,
And then we shall kiss,
Right here in this very room".

"My dear little Steers,
I've known a few queers,
And no I don't think you are that".

"Though I can still wee wee,
My hysterectomy,
Means my eggs never meet with my twat".

"And so you don't think,
(Not even in drink),
That I am a woman, the pain!"

"That is a shame,
For I was quite game,
To blow you and blow you again".

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
Shatterface wrote:
Dressed in his finery,
And thinking in binary,
Steers applied logic to life.
<snip>

"That is a shame,
For I was quite game,
To blow you and blow you again".
:lol: :clap: :clap: ;-) Though I'm not sure the closing stanza really follows; you have the coin then generally they're game.

But reminds me though of having read, as a teenager - many decades ago, a sci-fi story titled, I think, The Logical Life though I can't find a link. And:

Don't really think much of most people's reasoning ability - present company excepted of course ... Though that may be partly due to the apparent fact that many aren't really all that self-aware, don't really understand how their minds work - to coin a phrase, how their "arguments" are largely based on highly questionable premises. Could be the death of us all - as Scott Alexander suggested some time ago:

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Bravo Ape. I am impressed.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Snapfingers wrote: You got it wrong. Let me demonstrate how these things work for the patron:

https://cdn.ricochet.com/wp-content/upl ... 00x480.jpg

John: Why is that guy staring at us?
Jane: Well, he seems a little .. weird
Clerk: Don't you know? Richard Carrier is the author of many books and numerous articles online and in print. His avid readers span the world from Hong Kong to Poland. With a Ph.D. in ancient history from Columbia University, he specializes in the modern philosophy of naturalism, humanism, and feminism, and the origins of Christianity and the intellectual history of Greece and Rome, with particular expertise in ancient philosophy, science and technology. He is also a noted defender of scientific and moral realism, Bayesian reasoning, and historical methods.
John: huh?
Clerk: He draws big crowds to places like this.
Jane: He does?
Clerk: yesterday we were empty. Tonight you are here. He will discuss anything. But beware, his rationality will often be the final word on any subject. It ends all rational discussion so to speak.
Richard Carrier [slowly looking up from his White Russian]: Polyamory solves more problems than it causes. And all the problems it causes aren’t really unique to poly.
John: Can we have the check, please?
Richard: All the reasons people might think monogamy is better (and not just for them, but for everyone), turn out not to be true, or lack evidence. And like Christian apologetics, monogamy apologetics will leave out data regarding the benefits of alternatives, in order to oversell the benefit of compliance with antiquated norms. Monogamy, after all, was invented for men to control women as property, and like a kluge, it has since been clunkily tinkered with to align more with our modern egalitarian values. But the two don’t really fit. You can’t value freedom, consent, diversity, equality, and autonomy, and insist monogamy remain the norm. Monogamy is an option. And for many, not the best.
John: Hey, the check, please. Please! [Waving 50 doallrs]
Clerk: be right with you....
Jane: John!! For the love of god! Just leave the 50, I want to leave....[couple rushes out]
Richard: Guess what? Research shows you are just as likely to catch an STI when “monogamous” than when ethically non-monogamous. In fact, if you are “monogamous,” you are actually substantially more likely to catch an STI if your partner is cheating. Because ethically non-monogamous people are extremely conscientious about safe sex practices, testing, and communication. Monogamous couples are not. In reality, if you are in a monogamous relationship, odds are good you are actually just “monogamous.” Because it’s all too common for one of you to in fact be unethically non-monogamous.
Clerk: Thanks, Richie - here's your split.
:lol: :clap:

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

From the Voldemort thread. It’s worth seeing Kirb in full flight.

If I was prizzy prick I might report him for dishonesty and maybe threaten to sue. But actually I just stood aghast.

Kirbmarc wrote:
brive1987 wrote:
kirbmarc wrote: If you think that pomo is just "rejecting tradition" then I guess that the entire Enlightenment is "pomo". Voltaire, Montesquieu, Beccaria, Locke, Mill, they were all "pomo".

Hell, Galileo rejected tradition. Maybe he was "pomo" too. Maybe all of science is "pomo"...

Yeah. that’s clearly how i defined Pomo. For a chap clever in some areas, you can sure underperform spectacularly on occasion.
Quoted verbatim:
The reason I detest PZvand his mob and SJWs in general is their pomo worldview which rejects tradition. Rejects the established social order. Rejects western culture.
Don’t be a cunt. You somehow “forgot” to include something didn’t you. I wonder how often you perform this trick in less obvious circumstance.
Now son. The reason I detest PZ and his mob and SJWs in general is their pomo worldview which rejects tradition. Rejects established social order. Rejects western culture. Redefines key words and concepts to self abased ideological ends.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

comhcinc wrote: Bravo Ape. I am impressed.
I’m not sure I understand what that booth is. But my reptilian sense is appalled.

:dance:

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Brive1987 wrote: From the Voldemort thread. It’s worth seeing Kirb in full flight.

If I was prizzy prick I might report him for dishonesty and maybe threaten to sue. But actually I just stood aghast.

Kirbmarc wrote:
brive1987 wrote:
kirbmarc wrote: If you think that pomo is just "rejecting tradition" then I guess that the entire Enlightenment is "pomo". Voltaire, Montesquieu, Beccaria, Locke, Mill, they were all "pomo".

Hell, Galileo rejected tradition. Maybe he was "pomo" too. Maybe all of science is "pomo"...

Yeah. that’s clearly how i defined Pomo. For a chap clever in some areas, you can sure underperform spectacularly on occasion.
Quoted verbatim:
The reason I detest PZvand his mob and SJWs in general is their pomo worldview which rejects tradition. Rejects the established social order. Rejects western culture.
Don’t be a cunt. You somehow “forgot” to include something didn’t you. I wonder how often you perform this trick in less obvious circumstance.
Now son. The reason I detest PZ and his mob and SJWs in general is their pomo worldview which rejects tradition. Rejects established social order. Rejects western culture. Redefines key words and concepts to self abased ideological ends.
What "dishonesty"? Have you actually read the arguments I've written? Is the part I didn't quote relevant to those arguments? Or are you just grasping at straws?

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

We have a remoaner here.

A Swiss one.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Brive1987 wrote: We have a remoaner here.

A Swiss one.

Is it somehow "remoaning" points out that there are factors which made Brexit PRAGMATICALLY unlikely? Switzerland never joined the EU, doesn't have contested borders with EU countries and a history of cultural tensions, have never developed strong ties to the EU like the UK had.

It's one thing to never join a club, it's another to stay in for years, make your livelihood and comfort dependent on it, and then trying to leave without any sort of plan except "I'm out", all while you still have to be a roommate of one of members of the club, whom you don't fully trust, but whom you depend on for some practical arrangements that used to be managed by the club.

Note that I never speculated about the morality of Brexit, or of those who voted for it.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Aw Jesus. I had to block this windbag on twitter because he started gassing on at me about it. And now you invite him to go on - and no doubt on -about it here, Brive. Thanks for that.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3_I2rfApYk

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Has to be said, trying to be free of Kirb's relentless and convoluted verbosity is a lot like trying to be free of the excesses of the EU.

Don't get me wrong - you're okay Kirb. But fuck, you do go on.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Tigzy wrote: Aw Jesus. I had to block this windbag on twitter because he started gassing on at me about it. And now you invite him to go on - and no doubt on -about it here, Brive. Thanks for that.
Two tweets you don't like is enough to get blocked?

Geez, what happened to the idea of confronting ideas freely, without blocking people?

Are we turning into Steve Shives?

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Thank you all :D

Carrier proved there was no Jesus, so no one can stop me from being the dirtiest atheist possible. Hah!

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Quoted verbatim:
[/quote]

What "dishonesty"? Have you actually read the arguments I've written? Is the part I didn't quote relevant to those arguments? Or are you just grasping at straws?
[/quote]

I don’t think you know what “verbatim” means. Actually I think you do. :bjarte:

You strawmanned me by saying I defined Pomo in terms of tradition when I explicitly used a conventional definition.

Which you purposely left out. Then you rolled on with a wall of words.

Wake up Kirb.

Keating

Post by Keating »

Did Brive win the mod war?

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Has anyone been following Sargon's / Paul Joseph Watson's / Count Dankula's latest UKIP membership stunt?

I'm starting to wonder what the expiry date on Sargon's brand of Internet Shitpostery is, and whether to expect a long slow fade to obscurity, punctuated by brief stunts to try and capture past glories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvGBinfaeJY

But maybe I'm being too pessimistic...

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Keating wrote: Did Brive win the mod war?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRZ-IxZ46ng

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

I feel like Buridan's ass

http://i.imgur.com/OERwPLS.jpg

It would be a good way to die.

Semi interesting review of Malta’s role in the NGOing of the people trade. Then a “told you so”

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

I only found out last week what that green shit was about.

free thoughtpolice