There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

Old subthreads
Kirbmarc

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

Post by Kirbmarc »

Shatterface wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote: Also, if you're really concerned by people who don't like movies and writes reviews you don't like, you don't get to complain about Anita Sarkeesian wanting to nag gamers about how they're all awful misogynists, or about Rebecca Watson and her elevator encounters.
I don't get your logic. If someone complains about someone bitching about A because of made-up shit (Aussie movies representing a Whitey McWhiteface view of Australia) they don't get to complain about someone bitching about B over some other made up shit (video games being representing a rapey male viewpoint)?
You missed the part where Brive blamed "civic nationalism" for the SocJus review, along with his constant promotion of ethno-states.

I'm not against people complaining about what they want to complain, I'm against using those complains to further authoritarian/identitarian agendas, whether they're from feminists who want to paint men as a danger to justify censorship and/or trial by media or from ethno-nationalists who want to have "safe spaces" for white people in a country.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

feathers wrote:
Shatterface wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:05 am
Sulman wrote: They're overrepresented on social media generally, and they're mostly retarded or mentally ill.
Some elements are trans-itional.
Some will happily have their ions removed.
Something they also have in common with radical feminists.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Shatterface wrote: Again I don't see your logic. If you say sure, living in Israel might be fine but they have a shitty foreign policy you should compare that foreign policy to its neighbour's foreign policies. Most of those policies include the destruction of Israel.
Israel's foreign policy included, for example, financing and helping Salafi groups (including Al-Nusra, formerly Al-Qaeda) that would ethnically cleanse other groups during the Syrian war, to destroy Syria as a rival power. It also included negating the existence of the Palestinians, and getting them to leave the lands Israel wants by any means, which could be called destructing Palestine. It also included wrecking Lebanon and supporting the Maronite ethnic cleansing of Palestinians and Lebanese Shiites at Sabra and Chatila.

I'm not saying Iran is right or that they're not a danger, or that Hezbollah and Hamas are "freedom fighters" and not instead theocratic, intolerant terrorist groups. I'm simply saying that it's rich of the Israelis to portray themselves as the perpetual victims when they routinely meddle in the internal affairs of other countries, have supported/support genocidal groups (including Salafi supremacist groups which weren't much different from ISIS) and routinely try to get the Palestinians to leave by any means, many of which have actually been defined as crimes by the UN.

Pot and kettles and everything in between.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

John D wrote: If you took all the guns and weapons away from the Palestinians there would be peace. If you took all the weapons away from Israel what would happen? I think the Palestinians would kill all the Israelis.
If you took ALL the guns and weapons away from ALL the Palestinians, there wouldn't be a Palestine anymore, only Israel from the Jordan to the sea, while the Palestinians would be forced to leave at gunpoint.

John D

Post by John D »

Kirbmarc wrote:
John D wrote: If you took all the guns and weapons away from the Palestinians there would be peace. If you took all the weapons away from Israel what would happen? I think the Palestinians would kill all the Israelis.
If you took ALL the guns and weapons away from ALL the Palestinians, there wouldn't be a Palestine anymore, only Israel from the Jordan to the sea, while the Palestinians would be forced to leave at gunpoint.
There are already Muslims from Palestine living in Israel..... and they are called citizens.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

John D wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:
There are already Muslims from Palestine living in Israel..... and they are called citizens.
I didn't write muslim, I wrote Palestinians, there's a difference. Yes, there are muslim Israelis, which live as citizens, although with some discrimination and limits to their rights. But that's not the point I was making.

What I was arguing is that Israel wants a lot of people gone from the areas where it wants to build Jewish settlements. Those people are called Palestinians. Not all of them are muslims, either (some are Christians), but they are in the way of new Jewish Ortodox settlements, so the Israeli want them to leave, willingly or not.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

The Israeli-Palestinian conflict is complicated, and there are many factors at play. To take side a-critically, because of a simplified narrative, is more than a bit naive.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

Brive1987 wrote: No Vicky. Your endless assertions are not an argument to current consensus. They don’t even approach “winning”
But I am watching YOU duck and weave dear boy. That's why I am reply to you here and not taking it to the holocaust thread. Obviously we have the usual suspects here who pick a side, cheer it on with and throw insults because they haven't actually bothered to look at the subject. But the cheerleaders don't much effect the results on the field.

Putting all the holocaust propaganda from the First World war to one side, your 'story' starts with the American Military displaying tables of curiosities including shrunken heads.

Shrunken heads for fucks sake!

This is just the tip of a very large iceberg, which isn't just emotional "Jewish Internationalists", but an international fit-up. The "conspiracy" isn't even a secret, nobody denies that this is all part of the denazification effort, it's just that they claim the propaganda is true. Then you have the disgrace which is Nuremberg just to drive the point home.

You know this, and you know that pretty much all the holocaust history done for the next 50 years is a complete embarrassment to you, you have pretty much admitted this. You don't even have to pick apart the details, you have read enough history to know that this doesn't even have the smell and feel of real history.

The "current consensus" doesn't tend to admit this, but you know as well as I do they have had to do some serious back peddling, even to the point of revising the figures at the flagship Auschwitz. You may argue that this doesn't affect the overall picture, but I won't believe you if you tell me this wasn't a painful embarrassment. It would NOT have been done if it weren't for revisionists snapping at their heels.

I have let you pick the battles and what you have brought alluded to is convoluted theories built on thin evidence... most of which requires a subjective reading and the rest has dubious provenance. THAT'S an assertion in reply to your assertions. Neither of us has scratched the surface but that's a problem for you, not for me.

Why should I care? Oy vey. Actually I don't, I just come here for an argument, especially if I can join the side of the underdog. But I want to ask you a favour, I want you to elaborate...
Denialism has a role to play in encouraging detailed research.
Thanks for that.

It has done WAY more than that hasn't it? If it hadn't we would still be hearing about Jewish Soap and 4 million dead at Auschwitz (just to pick a couple of the better known and irrefutable examples). In fact it would be fair to say the denialists revisionists were right!
Who's really like the creationists? It is your side that keeps losing the battles yet your conclusion stayed the same. Your side had all it's witnesses exposed as fantasists yet the conclusions stay the same.

So tell me, why is it okay to jump all over gurugeorge when he expresses doubt, when in the past those doubts have been well founded? Why is it haram to question the consensus, when like me, you are questioning the questionable methodology which wouldn't be accepted if we were talking about any other subject?

And this is highly topical because it comes at a time when half the forum is arguing that the Russians are trying to influence US and UK elections, and the other half is arguing that you can't trust the CIA either. But the Russians, Poles, Americans + the Israelis are feeding us a narrative (and evidence) through the major years of the cold war... for some reason this is all to be taken on face value. Oh, but it's the revisionists who have an agenda.

Ideally I'd like to hear you make some admissions... possibly elaborate when you say that "denialists" have had a role to play. Looks to me like you are dancing to their tune, no longer running away with a narrative but shoring up defenses against their assaults.

And that was some fancy footwork you did over the witness testimony, what was it you called it? "non-nuanced"? Duck and Weave Brive!

Admissible in court my arse. I'd like you to admit that in any court which wasn't packed full of kangaroos, these witnesses would probably be laughed out or charged with perjury. And that any half competent defence lawyer would tear them to pieces, and any half competent historian would do the same without being called a "denier". Which of course is what the orthodoxy has quietly done.... I am sure you are well aware of this.

I don't expect any admissions, but I think you are too honest to deny it either.

It seems that something I have downloaded is blocking a lot of holocaust related material, but it doesn't block Youtube. I stumbled across the following video which I am going to post here. I have only watched the first hour, but the first hour does a pretty good job of demonstrating the calibre of the people who built the orthodox narrative. It goes way beyond the normal inaccuracies and elaboration you find with witness testimony.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kTEF8_g-Vg

I know this is encroaching on people's safe spaces, and it might actually be illegal for some of people on this forum to watch this. It is probably illegal for me to watch this. Which is probably why you should watch this, after all we wouldn't want to be in a bubble would we? I have never argued for teaching both sides of the controversy, but we should at least be aware of what the controversy is.

That's my last word on the subject.

ThreeFlangedJavis

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:27 am
There are no Good Guys in the middle east. Anyone who tries to play the victim is just bullshitting you. The reality is that all sides want to wreck the other by any means necessary.
Too easy. Once the ball gets rolling everyone is forced into doing dirty shit. Nevertheless,some will try harder to avoid doing so where possible than others and there are some actors who actively work to keep the ball rolling.

InfraRedBucket

Post by InfraRedBucket »

AndrewV69 wrote:
MarcusAu wrote: Well at least someone feels pretty...

https://i.redd.it/s9hyucany7iz.jpg

*spew*

FUCKKKKK!!
Jobriath LIVES!
500x500.jpg
(13.35 KiB) Downloaded 277 times

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

I never understood how Mick Dundee became the avatar of all things Australian

Rather than say Barry McKenzie, or Smiley or Skippy or Yahoo Serious if comes to that.

Anyway - although it may well be time for a sequel - don't believe what you see because it's not happening...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6fb5B-Q_YE

Or if you want an Oz-fix you could just watch 'Death in Brunswick'

HoneyWagon

Post by HoneyWagon »

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:27 am
There are no Good Guys in the middle east. Anyone who tries to play the victim is just bullshitting you. The reality is that all sides want to wreck the other by any means necessary.
Too easy. Once the ball gets rolling everyone is forced into doing dirty shit. Nevertheless,some will try harder to avoid doing so where possible than others and there are some actors who actively work to keep the ball rolling.
OK, tell me who is trying harder to avoid rolling the ball. Surely it's not Iran, or Turkey, or Saudi Arabia, or Qatar, or any other GCC country, because they're all financing militias abroad to wreck their rivals, and generously donating to various terrorists and troublemakers. It's not Israel, either, because if they really wanted to avoid rolling the ball, why the HELL did they help Salafi militias in Syria? So who's left?

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Maybe it's the Syrian Kurds. I'll grant you that they seem more interested in saving their own asses than in killing others (even though they too engaged in minor ethnic cleansing against the Turkish minority in Afrin). But they're not a big power, indeed they're not even a minor power.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

HoneyWagon wrote:
That sounds like a middle-aged drunk at the airport bar, contemplating a return to his dowdy wife in the snowy wastelands when he should be flying out to California to be with his blue-haired young belle.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

HoneyWagon wrote:
He apparently was here in Seattle, giving a speech or talk. I am surprised anybody wants to hear anything he has to say. I can't imagine what he would give a talk on...?

CaptainFluffyBunny

Kirbmarc wrote: Maybe it's the Syrian Kurds. I'll grant you that they seem more interested in saving their own asses than in killing others (even though they too engaged in minor ethnic cleansing against the Turkish minority in Afrin). But they're not a big power, indeed they're not even a minor power.
Kurds really need a homeland. They've kinda gotten a raw deal.

Guest_2a63257c

Post by Guest_2a63257c »

The Kurds are going to get fucked over and abandoned to their fate after being used, again. It's already happening now as our "side" lets Erdogan get on with going after them.

CaughtUpLockedOut

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Guest_2a63257c wrote: The Kurds are going to get fucked over and abandoned to their fate after being used, again. It's already happening now as our "side" lets Erdogan get on with going after them.

CaughtUpLockedOut
Yup. Pretty much.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:39 am
He apparently was here in Seattle, giving a speech or talk. I am surprised anybody wants to hear anything he has to say. I can't imagine what he would give a talk on...?
College Biology 101, IF he sticks to the text book and doesn't go all creationist on the audience.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Apparently, if a non merkin admits to smoking cannabis, even in a state where it is legal to a customs agent they face a lifetime ban from entering the US.
https://globalnews.ca/news/4011652/lega ... paign=2015

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

HoneyWagon wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:02 am
At least back to humping roadkill as a teenager, probably earlier.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:41 am
Give the Kurds a homeland? No whey!

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

free thoughtpolice wrote: Apparently, if a non merkin admits to smoking cannabis, even in a state where it is legal to a customs agent they face a lifetime ban from entering the US.
Yes. It's federal law vs. state law.

mike150160

Post by mike150160 »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:41 am
Give the Kurds a homeland? No whey!
Cheesy

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:41 am

So what you’re saying is that the Palestinians need an ethno state rather than becoming (relatively) liberal Israeli civic nationalists? :mrgreen:

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Palestinians need to model their society on lobsters. That way Israelis won't touch them because they're not kosher.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Brive1987 wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:41 am

So what you’re saying is that the Palestinians need an ethno state rather than becoming (relatively) liberal Israeli civic nationalists? :mrgreen:
Nice one.

I say that there's not going to be any peace if people are being forced out of their homes.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Shatterface wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote: Also, if you're really concerned by people who don't like movies and writes reviews you don't like, you don't get to complain about Anita Sarkeesian wanting to nag gamers about how they're all awful misogynists, or about Rebecca Watson and her elevator encounters.
I don't get your logic. If someone complains about someone bitching about A because of made-up shit (Aussie movies representing a Whitey McWhiteface view of Australia) they don't get to complain about someone bitching about B over some other made up shit (video games being representing a rapey male viewpoint)?
You missed the part where Brive blamed "civic nationalism" for the SocJus review, along with his constant promotion of ethno-states.

I'm not against people complaining about what they want to complain, I'm against using those complains to further authoritarian/identitarian agendas, whether they're from feminists who want to paint men as a danger to justify censorship and/or trial by media or from ethno-nationalists who want to have "safe spaces" for white people in a country.
That’s almost Caramel level motivated reasoning. My encouraging re-engagement with a pre multi cultural identity is a not an authoritarian/identitarian agenda - apart from it flying against your wishes.

And yes Kirb. CIvic nationalism says on the one hand there is no dominant lived experience culture beyond vanilla liberal high-order talking points. On the other hand it ignores the unchallenged extant cultures being introduced. So in the end you get silos glued together with beige. You get silly articles like the one I pointed to.

I get it that you have a personal stake in civic nationalism and probably possess little or no connection with trad-Swiss ethnic values. I get it you have embraced abstract West-lib concepts in place of a heritage you left behind. You just need to realise this isn’t necessarily reinforcing the unique proposition of Switzerland and, benign as it may be, it’s not representative of multiculturalism in general.

Sometimes friends just have to tell friends home truths.

Let’s go get a beer.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:
There are no Good Guys in the middle east.
If your Lib-dar is broken you could always fall back on the “where would I regather be gay” proxy.
I don't doubt that LIVING in Israel is far better than living in pretty much everywhere else in the Middle East. But the Israelis have supported Salafi groups which would gladly ethnic cleanse non-Sunni muslims, all while doing lots of shady stuff to the Palestinians in order to give "a living space" to Orthodox Jewish settlements (and I don't think gays have it good in Orthodox Jewish colonies, either).

Living in the US is pretty OK compared to many parts of the world (that's why so many want to move there). But the US have also engaged in lots of shady/illegal stuff to further their interests (albeit probably to a lesser degree than Israel).

People seem to confuse internal standards of living with foreign policy, and so if a country is a liberal democracy they also must be fighting for human rights elsewhere. This isn't the case.

I'm pretty sure that in the late 19th-early 20th century people had it better in the UK than in its colonies, this doesn't mean that the UK behaved well towards its colonies.

Today colonies are a thing of the past, but international politics are NOT, and taking claims at face value ("we want only to export democracy!") is more than a bit naive.
Nasty business existential wars. I’m not sure their is a morally neutral wa of engaging and remaining aloof equals eventual defeat.

Now we seem to have the option of:

+ An ongoing mess
+ A Palestinian ‘state’ at the expense of defendable Israeli borders -supported by “destroy the Jew” Iran and Syria
+ Victory by the ME’s only liberal democratic state, the Pals accept they lost the war & retreat to Arab hinterlands. *

Some considerations. It’s not like there was a formed Palestinian State in Israel like ...... ever. Or that a lot of the current Palestinians are anything but immigrants to the area post fall of Ottoman Empire. And let’s face it, the Israelis are pretty much the only player in the game who could turn ‘just another shit hole country’ into something approaching modernity.

Plus the Holocaust. The debt needs to be paid. :mrgreen:

* If they’d be accepted by their ex brothers in arms

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

There.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Brive1987 wrote: That’s almost Caramel level motivated reasoning. My encouraging re-engagement with a pre multi cultural identity is a not an authoritarian/identitarian agenda - apart from it flying against your wishes.
Once again I really don't get what you're looking for. We're talking past each other I guess.

Also you're the one who brings up ethno-states as a serious idea, but then you want to claim you're not identitarian. OK then.
And yes Kirb. CIvic nationalism says on the one hand there is no dominant lived experience culture beyond vanilla liberal high-order talking points. On the other hand it ignores the unchallenged extant cultures being introduced. So in the end you get silos glued together with beige. You get silly articles like the one I pointed to.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKcAYMb5uk4

It's a silly article. Roll your eyes and groan, then move on. I bet that A LOT of Anglo SJWs share the same silly opinions. It's not a threat, it's a nuisance. There's no need to embrace ethno-states to counter that, just criticize the SocJus hot takes like we do here on the 'Pit.
I get it that you have a personal stake in civic nationalism and probably possess little or no connection with trad-Swiss ethnic values. I get it you have embraced abstract West-lib concepts in place of a heritage you left behind. You just need to realise this isn’t necessarily reinforcing the unique proposition of Switzerland and, benign as it may be, it’s not representative of multiculturalism in general.
I think that to me it's a matter of principles more than a culture war. The goal is to preserve and/or improve laws, institutions, rights and freedoms of liberal Enlightenment democracy, then let the open marketplace of ideas do its job. I make fun of Anita Sarkeesian like everyone else but I don't want her to go to be silenced, let her talk and embarrass herself, what I want to prevent is her trying to silence her critics. I roll my eyes at the SocJus, but I don't think that SocJus fans need to be fired from their jobs, we just need to prevent them from firing others.

I don't really care what people believe in their "heart of hearts", I care that stupid ideas don't inspire illiberal laws or codes of conduct or loss of legal rights or attacks to one's life and livelihood. I'm not triggered by people whose ideas I find stupid, certainly not enough to wonder about whether they should be stripped of their rights or fired or left out of the country.
Sometimes friends just have to tell friends home truths.

Let’s go get a beer.
Kind of hard to do that online. Thanks anyway.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

The axis of evil has re-aligned.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Brive1987 wrote: Nasty business existential wars. I’m not sure their is a morally neutral wa of engaging and remaining aloof equals eventual defeat.

Now we seem to have the option of:

+ An ongoing mess
+ A Palestinian ‘state’ at the expense of defendable Israeli borders -supported by “destroy the Jew” Iran and Syria
+ Victory by the ME’s only liberal democratic state, the Pals accept they lost the war & retreat to Arab hinterlands. *

Some considerations. It’s not like there was a formed Palestinian State in Israel like ...... ever. Or that a lot of the current Palestinians are anything but immigrants to the area post fall of Ottoman Empire. And let’s face it, the Israelis are pretty much the only player in the game who could turn ‘just another shit hole country’ into something approaching modernity.

Plus the Holocaust. The debt needs to be paid. :mrgreen:

* If they’d be accepted by their ex brothers in arms
It's going to be an ongoing mess. There's no real alternative. Neither side is going to give up.

Also you seem to think that Israel is interested in having sane (not good, but sane) neighbors and a sane foreign policy. They're not. They'd rather ally themselves with Al-Qaeda (Al-Qaeda!) than come to a compromise with a secular state like Syria, as fucked up as Syria was, because a compromise would mean upsetting the Orthodox settlers (who are rising in numbers ). The Israelis would be perfectly fine with financing islamist groups that target Europe and the US as long as those groups also oppose Iran.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

MarcusAu wrote: Well at least someone feels pretty...

https://i.redd.it/s9hyucany7iz.jpg
Probably getting this wrong, but...

https://i.redd.it/5u20jmulgv2z.jpg

No, surely not. But if JBP ever wanted to get dragged up, we know what he'd look like.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Identitarian has a fairly European vibe - plus you kind coupled it with a little something: “authoritarian/identitarian”

It is about identity here in Australia, the context is a bit different.

This is Identitarian:

This is Australian identitarian

I brought the article up because it’s a fusion of young (SJ) bs and Asian (multicultural) view points. It’s what you get as a country when you don’t know who you are.

Your desire to have a ”bloodless” battle of distinct floaty ideas amidst a culture war is cute.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Kirbmarc wrote:
It's going to be an ongoing mess. There's no real alternative. Neither side is going to give up.

Also you seem to think that Israel is interested in having sane (not good, but sane) neighbors and a sane foreign policy. They're not. They'd rather ally themselves with Al-Qaeda (Al-Qaeda!) than come to a compromise with a secular state like Syria, as fucked up as Syria was, because a compromise would mean upsetting the Orthodox settlers (who are rising in numbers ). The Israelis would be perfectly fine with financing islamist groups that target Europe and the US as long as those groups also oppose Iran.
OMG Israel is progressing its own self interest instead of furthering the international cause in shit hole countries?

A simpler way of saying your above is “Israel will do what it takes to weaken powerful enemies on its borders and keep them internally focussed”. You work with the clay you’re given.

It’s all a pragmatic and sadly prosaic balancing act. Alas, in the 40K landscape of the ME, the luxury of a values driven agenda only sometimes intersects with survival.

That’s why the sooner the Israeli State consildates and the faster Greater Arabia absorbs their lost Palestinian sons and daughters, the better.

A stretch by the Rivers of Babylon never did anyone any long term harm. :)

free thoughtpolice

Kirbmarc wrote:
The Israelis would be perfectly fine with financing islamist groups that target Europe and the US as long as those groups also oppose Iran
I'm not aware of Israel getting chummy with islamists other than some limited help they provided groups that were near their borders fighting the Syrian government, presumably to stop trouble from spilling over their border.
I'm not saying the Israelis are angels, particularly the conservative and religious extremist types, but I don't buy your statement above. If for no other reason that they don't trust the sunni islamists any more than the shia islamists.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Brive1987 wrote: OMG Israel is progressing its own self interest instead of furthering the international cause in shit hole countries?

A simpler way of saying your above is “Israel will do what it takes to weaken powerful enemies on its borders and keep them internally focussed”. You work with the clay you’re given.

It’s all a pragmatic and sadly prosaic balancing act. Alas, in the 40K landscape of the ME, the luxury of a values driven agenda only sometimes intersects with survival.

That’s why the sooner the Israeli State consildates and the faster Greater Arabia absorbs their lost Palestinian sons and daughters, the better.

OK then, if Israel is progressing its own self interests, then European countries and the US need to progress their own self interests, too, instead of progressing the self interests of Israel.

One of the biggest sources of trouble in European countries are Salafi preachers, if Israel wants to align with them to wreck its enemies, good to know, but nobody forces European countries and the US to follow their lead.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:41 pm
Kirbmarc wrote:
The Israelis would be perfectly fine with financing islamist groups that target Europe and the US as long as those groups also oppose Iran
I'm not aware of Israel getting chummy with islamists other than some limited help they provided groups that were near their borders fighting the Syrian government, presumably to stop trouble from spilling over their border.
I'm not saying the Israelis are angels, particularly the conservative and religious extremist types, but I don't buy your statement above. If for no other reason that they don't trust the sunni islamists any more than the shia islamists.
And yet they're willing to ally themselves with the GCC countries against Iran, despite the fact the GCC countries are ruled by Sunni islamists. It's almost as if they don't really care about who they're fighting with as long as it allows them to send more Orthodox settlers to the West Bank. If European countries are then inundated with refugees because Syria is destabilized, and if Saudi/GCC country interests send Salafi imams to Europe, Israel doesn't give a shit. Even when anti-semitism rises in Europe due to those Salafi preachers Israel STILL doesn't give a shit, instead it encourages say, French Jews to move to Israel.

If Israel prefers to play dirty to get rid of Iran, good for them, but I see no reason for European countries to stay on their side no matter what.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Kirbmarc wrote: OK then, if Israel is progressing its own self interests, then European countries and the US need to progress their own self interests, too, instead of progressing the self interests of Israel.
Isn't that what they are doing - acting in their own self-interest - by supporting Israel?

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Shatterface wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:04 pm
Kirbmarc wrote: OK then, if Israel is progressing its own self interests, then European countries and the US need to progress their own self interests, too, instead of progressing the self interests of Israel.
Isn't that what they are doing - acting in their own self-interest - by supporting Israel?
Not really, not if the result is more messes that Israel steps into and then has to ask for European/US help clean up.

Cynically speaking, what exactly do the US and Europe get from the alliance with Israel? Or from the alliance with the GCC countries, for that matter?

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Shatterface wrote:
Israel is supported by ZOG.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Brive1987 wrote: OMG Israel is progressing its own self interest instead of furthering the international cause in shit hole countries?

OK then, if Israel is progressing its own self interests, then European countries and the US need to progress their own self interests, too, instead of progressing the self interests of Israel.

One of the biggest sources of trouble in European countries are Salafi preachers, if Israel wants to align with them to wreck its enemies, good to know, but nobody forces European countries and the US to follow their lead.
I’m fine with Israel using Salafis in Syria to kill Iranians as long as they kill the Salafis when they are finished with them. It would be easier if the Iranians weren’t there in the first place of course.

But putting your toys away is an indivisible part of playtime.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

I don't usually like articles by Douglas Murray, but this one is spot on:
Last week, the Erdogan family’s foundation held a massive youth convention at the presidential palace in Ankara. There, Erdogan explained how he planned to use his faith to set the world straight. A significant portion of his audience then got to their feet as a bloc and began chanting, “War, Jihad, Martyrdom.”
All of this seems to me to be the most ominous news possible. Certainly, there are more than enough stories in Trump’s America, as in Brexit Britain, to keep everyone occupied for several lifetimes. But it may well be in stories such as the backward tumble of Turkey that the events that will make the history books are all the time occurring.
I remember when Western leaders like Berlusconi or Blair were praising Erdogan as a "moderate" , boy does it show :bjarte:

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Brive1987 wrote: I’m fine with Israel using Salafis in Syria to kill Iranians as long as they kill the Salafis when they are finished with them. It would be easier if the Iranians weren’t there in the first place of course
That's not going to happen, though. Instead what is going to happen is that if the Salafi militias win Israel will try to re-routed them away from their borders, and not care a lot if their rise to power creates trouble in Europe or elsewhere.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:03 am
The Israeli-Palestinian conflict is complicated, and there are many factors at play. To take side a-critically, because of a simplified narrative, is more than a bit naive.
Some simple narratives are less naive than others.

Case in point.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Brive1987 wrote: I’m fine with Israel using Salafis in Syria to kill Iranians as long as they kill the Salafis when they are finished with them. It would be easier if the Iranians weren’t there in the first place of course
That's not going to happen, though. Instead what is going to happen is that if the Salafi militias win Israel will try to re-routed them away from their borders, and not care a lot if their rise to power creates trouble in Europe or elsewhere.
If only there was some mechanism of control over the Jewish mad dogs ...

:think:

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/imag ... tGACuFgiRA

free thoughtpolice

Kirbmarc wrote:
And yet they're willing to ally themselves with the GCC countries against Iran, despite the fact the GCC countries are ruled by Sunni islamists.
Are you saying that Israel has an active alliance with the GCC countries, and if so, how?
As for being more comfortable dealing with sunnis instead of shites :drool: who can blame them? Other than sunni Palestinians, Egypt and Jordan aren't causing them grief. The sunni in Lebanon aren't threatening them.
Hezbollah is openly hostile and right on their northern border and closely allied with openly hostile Iran. If the enemies of your enemies aren't outright friends but are less hostile than your enemies, then it is only natural to root for your enemies enemies at least.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:06 am
Apparently, if a non merkin admits to smoking cannabis, even in a state where it is legal to a customs agent they face a lifetime ban from entering the US.
It is still against federal law. And the fact that he was involved in the production of marijuana is still more than enough to bar his reentry.

The guy was ignorant of how the law works.

I still think we should fully legalize it on a federal level. But the guy is an idiot.

free thoughtpolice

deLurch wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:06 am
It is still against federal law. And the fact that he was involved in the production of marijuana is still more than enough to bar his reentry.

The guy was ignorant of how the law works.

I still think we should fully legalize it on a federal level. But the guy is an idiot.

I hear of Canadians trying to cross the border if they have ever smoked cannabis, not just been convicted of it and if they admit it, they are denied entry. I guess you could lie, but I'm wondering if they somehow find you had smoked in the past there would be some kind of penalty besides just getting thrown out of the country.

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

Princeton students walk out after
[...] anthropology professor Lawrence Rosen asked students, “What is worse, a white man punching a black man, or a white man calling a black man a n****r?”
http://www.dailyprincetonian.com/articl ... he-word-nr
http://www.dailyprincetonian.com/articl ... he-word-nr

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Brive1987 wrote: The axis of evil has re-aligned.

Just when Surly thought she was out, the skank pulls her back in.

Barbie's Boyfriend

Post by Barbie's Boyfriend »

Once, my sister's White Trash Idiot boyfriend called me a "Nigger Lover". Y'all don't know how close I came to punching him in the face.

Better not tell that story at Princeton lol

KenD

Post by KenD »

I know I'm beating a dead horse, but with the ongoing calls to get rid of ring girls in boxing, the promo model topic is still in the news...

Does anyone buy Beverley Turner's claim that in the 2000's lad's mags were so "omnipotent" that successful female presenters like herself were all effectively forced to get their kit off?

I can think of a few other presenters from back then who I wouldn't have minded seeing like this in FHM:

https://www.bellazon.com/main/uploads/m ... 442836.jpg

Unfortunately for me most of them somehow escaped that "impossible" decision.

Of course she still glams up and puts some skin on display when working as a presenter or going to showbiz events with her sportsman husband...

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/10/ ... 4x1178.jpg

...but that's completely different from being an "enemy of feminism" like a promo model:

Bonus cuntiness from the Independent's chief sportswriter:

"Sisters need saving from themselves" should be the official motto of modern feminism.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Strange that our prime minister would choose to feel that he knows better than a jury that has heard all the evidence and listened to the witnesses.
Just spoke with @Puglaas. I can't imagine the grief and sorrow the Boushie family is feeling tonight. Sending love to them from the US.

— @JustinTrudeau
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/na ... e37929427/

I can understand that the hangfire defense fits the facts, and doesn't mean he is innocent, but simply that there is reasonable doubt about his guilt. Isn't that why we have trials, rather than automatically condemning someone because it suits the 'nation to nation' nonsense we are enduring?

CaptainFluffyBunny

Old 'pitter Mykeru weighs in on the Australian question-
[tweet][/tweet]
Food for thought.

CaptainFluffyBunny

screwtape wrote: Strange that our prime minister would choose to feel that he knows better than a jury that has heard all the evidence and listened to the witnesses.
Just spoke with @Puglaas. I can't imagine the grief and sorrow the Boushie family is feeling tonight. Sending love to them from the US.

— @JustinTrudeau
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/na ... e37929427/

I can understand that the hangfire defense fits the facts, and doesn't mean he is innocent, but simply that there is reasonable doubt about his guilt. Isn't that why we have trials, rather than automatically condemning someone because it suits the 'nation to nation' nonsense we are enduring?
Not to mention the victim of the shooting wasn't exactly an angel and had been engaging in indigenous hijinks. One would think that would give people crying "murder" pause. Nope.

CaptainFluffyBunny

On the 50th anniversary of Apollo, a kickstarter to fund a retro Apollo computer. Figure at least Phil might want one.