There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

Old subthreads
Spike13

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

Post by Spike13 »

shoutinghorse wrote:
Spike13 wrote: yeah, i get the feeling that this whole trans/feminist thing is going to implode as well.

Too many divas, too few spotlights.
I have the feeling the next Olympic games will be .. erm, 'interesting' :shifty:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/o ... 995434001/
Hmmm, if testosterone and other male hormones do not matter, why do we have mens and womens divisions?
Let them compete together.

Umless of course this whole issue is bullshit.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

It isn't just about testosterone in someone's system anyway. It's the fact that testosterone during developmental stages gives men larger and stronger bodies. Just because someone takes testosterone suppressors later doesn't make their body shrink to that which they would have had if they developed as a girl.

If a man has more testosterone in his system than another man we don't make them compete in different contests. There are natural variations in testosterone among men. There are also natural variations in testosterone among women. The point is that testosterone leads to physical differences during development such that a weedy guy like me is far stronger than the vast majority of women. Changing my name to Barbara and suppressing my testosterone levels isn't going to change that.

Anal the article refers to gender testing. The cheek swab test isn't for gender, it's about sex. If gender is a social construct there's no physical test for it. But sportsmen and women were never segregated by gender. They were segregated by sex. It's not about who grew up playing with dolls or fire engines, and who has a preference for sheds or soft furnishings.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

'Also', not 'anal'. Fucking asshole autocorrect.

Barbie's Boyfriend

Post by Barbie's Boyfriend »

Was curious what Eight Ace beer was. here's the story:

http://smallbeerblog.blogspot.com/2010/ ... e-ace.html

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Shatterface wrote: Am I the only person who had to Google Rose McGowan to find out who the fuck she was? From the way the media obsesses over her you'd think she'd been in tons of stuff I'd actually seen.
I have a second cousin named Rose McGowan, so reading about this Rose McGowan always throws me.

btw, My cousin is a lot better looking than the other RM, and never dated Marylin Manson.

Barbie's Boyfriend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS-Dyn_PK4g

Barbie's Boyfriend

I remember this story about the female Olympic athlete who was discovered to not be a woman after her autopsy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanis%C5 ... alasiewicz

Stout

Post by Stout »

I had to Google Rose McGowan, I'd never heard of her before this metoo brouhaha

Why do I have this sneaking suspicion that the next book McGowan writes is going to be about her struggles with mental health and addiction ?

So Uma Thurman knew too ? #theyallknew

I got to admit, it is fun watching super liberal, politically correct Hollywood tear itself to shreds. It's kind of like watching Mexican wrestling. But, I do also slow down and gawk at car wrecks.

Thanks to whoever recommended Godless. Bang up show however I'm only two episodes in so far. I was thinking about trying Altered Carbon but according to this guy on the Randi forum, "issues of race and white privilege are very definitely themes of the show. Also that it's intended to make you think about things like that, and that you're supposed to feel uncomfortable about what you're seeing"........screw it

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Maybe you should watch a show before reading someone else's opinions about it. Altered Carbon has also been criticised for its depiction of violence against women. Fuck critics, professional or amateur. They're parasites on the creativity of others.

Stout

Post by Stout »

Well if I don't bother looking into a show, then how do I know it's worth my time ? Book by it's cover and all that.

I just took a wild stab at End of the F**ing World just because it was made by Netflix....and I was kind of disappointed Spoiler....it's not really a comedy.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

I don't remember the last time a book, film, tv show or comic appeared that wasn't criticised for its ideological content be people who had heard about it second-hand. And that includes here on the Pit.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Shatterface wrote: I don't remember the last time a book, film, tv show or comic appeared that wasn't criticised for its ideological content be people who had heard about it second-hand. And that includes here on the Pit.
Opinions are not worth what they used to be...but then they never were.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Brive1987 wrote: Katie has had a moment in South Africa.

Update

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Shatterface wrote: ...

Anal the article refers to gender testing. The cheek swab test isn't for gender, it's about sex. If gender is a social construct there's no physical test for it. But sportsmen and women were never segregated by gender. They were segregated by sex. It's not about who grew up playing with dolls or fire engines, and who has a preference for sheds or soft furnishings.
It's an obvious shortfall of modern psychology that there is no test for gender.

It should be easy enough to modify the Turing test - so that an impartial judge takes responses from an unknown and anonymous subject and then places them in the appropriate gender category.

Science Bitches! - I don't see how it could go wrong.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

MarcusAu wrote:

It's an obvious shortfall of modern psychology that there is no test for gender.

It should be easy enough to modify the Turing test - so that an impartial judge takes responses from an unknown and anonymous subject and then places them in the appropriate gender category.

I'm all for a Turing test for gender. If someone can convince me they are a woman then I'll accept them for a woman. Right now most transwomen aren't at the gender equivalent of computer chess.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Stout wrote: I had to Google Rose McGowan, I'd never heard of her before this metoo brouhaha

Why do I have this sneaking suspicion that the next book McGowan writes is going to be about her struggles with mental health and addiction ?

So Uma Thurman knew too ? #theyallknew

I got to admit, it is fun watching super liberal, politically correct Hollywood tear itself to shreds. It's kind of like watching Mexican wrestling. But, I do also slow down and gawk at car wrecks.

Thanks to whoever recommended Godless. Bang up show however I'm only two episodes in so far. I was thinking about trying Altered Carbon but according to this guy on the Randi forum, "issues of race and white privilege are very definitely themes of the show. Also that it's intended to make you think about things like that, and that you're supposed to feel uncomfortable about what you're seeing"........screw it
I like your new avatar but I also miss the grazing bison oblivious to the thing in the air. What was that pic?

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Shatterface wrote:
MarcusAu wrote:

I'm all for a Turing test for gender. If someone can convince me they are a woman then I'll accept them for a woman. Right now most transwomen aren't at the gender equivalent of computer chess.
I was thinking more of the 55,999 other gender categories.

Stout

Post by Stout »

Brive1987 wrote:

I like your new avatar but I also miss the grazing bison oblivious to the thing in the air. What was that pic?
Thanks...kinda sick, that pic is. I can't remember where I got it from.

The Bison thing......Well that goes back a couple of years when I was watching the The Revenant and discussing it here when I stated that I could have sworn I saw a scene where a meteor struck a buffalo. I was wrong, of course so I decided to eat a little crow and put up a pic with a meteor and a bison in it as a sort of eating crow statement.

Good movie, The Revenant. I think I'll go all hipster hygge and watch it again this afternoon.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

feathers

Post by feathers »

Easy J wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:43 am
The identity politics left is busy discrediting itself & gradually immunizing people to anything coming out of their crowd while giving the alt-right an undeserved shot in the arm. The whole left is taking a hit via association. So we're gonna have to deal with seepage from the Stormfront sewer for a while because they seem to think the pushback against SJWism means we're all ripe for joining a photo negative brand of this bullshit from the wacky right.
That's not so strange because the conversation went along the following lines:

Libertarian Leftist/Standard Issue Conservative: I think we should observe islam critically and not unreservedly let all refugees in.
SJW: You're a NAZI and literally worse than HITLER!
Stormfronter (recruitment folders in hand): Did someone say Hitler?

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

feathers wrote:
Easy J wrote:
The identity politics left is busy discrediting itself & gradually immunizing people to anything coming out of their crowd while giving the alt-right an undeserved shot in the arm. The whole left is taking a hit via association. So we're gonna have to deal with seepage from the Stormfront sewer for a while because they seem to think the pushback against SJWism means we're all ripe for joining a photo negative brand of this bullshit from the wacky right.

Libertarian Leftist/Standard Issue Conservative: I think we should observe islam critically and not unreservedly let all refugees in.
:lol:

More recently:

Steven Pinker: The alt-right uses some true facts which aren't often discussed in academia or in the news to create a narrative which supports their white identity politics. We need to discuss those facts from a more rational perspective, to counter the alt-right narrative.

Stormfronters: LOL Pinker is one of us!

SJWs: See? SEE? We were right all along!

Guest_d2e60302

Post by Guest_d2e60302 »

This American Life, a hub these days for sjw nonsense, does a show about
Words You Can't Say

In this politically charged climate, it feels like you have to be super careful with your language, no matter who you are or what side you're on.

Stories of people saying the wrong thing and accidentally picking a fight with the very people they thought they agreed with. We've arrived at Act 2 of our program, "Trigger Warning." So in this story, a politician uses a word that she loves-- a word her constituents love, in fact, and it backfires. Dana Chivvis tells what happened.
First up is the story of Laci Green, it's the first half of the show and very listenable at 1.5x

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/637/words-you-cant-say

John D

Post by John D »

Shatterface wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:53 am
Your phone auto-corrects "also" into "anal".... wtf man????

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Also also also also also
John D wrote:
Shatterface wrote:
I think autocorrect works on the principle of which words you use most often.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

Shatterface wrote: Also also also also also
John D wrote:
Shatterface wrote:
I think autocorrect works on the principle of which words you use most often.
Instead of texting your wife, i suggest you do your begging in person with a bunch of flowers at the very least...
Diamonds are a girl's best friend.

John D

Post by John D »

Wow! WTF! One of the best Super Bowls EVAR!

What a great weekend I had. Breakfast discussing my new war game with my buddy Matt, New cell plan so I don't have to put up with Sprint anymore, super entertaining news from "the memo" (trademark), great Super Bowl, painting...painting...painting miniatures. Life is good.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

Kirbmarc wrote:
feathers wrote:
Easy J wrote:

:lol:

More recently:

Steven Pinker: The alt-right uses some true facts which aren't often discussed in academia or in the news to create a narrative which supports their white identity politics. We need to discuss those facts from a more rational perspective, to counter the alt-right narrative.

Stormfronters: LOL Pinker is one of us!

SJWs: See? SEE? We were right all along!
The Right and the Far-Right. Compare and contrast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwLcWA6FCTs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=226DLo_sUn0

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

John D wrote: Wow! WTF! One of the best Super Bowls EVAR!

What a great weekend I had. Breakfast discussing my new war game with my buddy Matt, New cell plan so I don't have to put up with Sprint anymore, super entertaining news from "the memo" (trademark), great Super Bowl, painting...painting...painting miniatures. Life is good.
Super Bowl? What's that? Probably some upsizing MacDonalds thing I suppose. No wonder Americans are so fat.

John D

Post by John D »

KiwiInOz wrote:

Super Bowl? What's that? Probably some upsizing MacDonalds thing I suppose. No wonder Americans are so fat.
American football is a proper sport, where the greatest athletes in America compete in an arena, get paid millions of dollars, and end their life with brain damage! USA! USA! USA!

John D

Post by John D »

Haha... Bearing on grid girls.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

KiwiInOz wrote:

It's like Rugby, but Americans feel the need to wear body armour and helmets. I suspect it's because Americans carry guns, maybe the crowd shoot at them?

free thoughtpolice

Merkins are poofters. :popcorn:

free thoughtpolice

They think Seals are "elite". We Canadians club them and skin them alive just to piss off PETA.

mordacious1

Post by mordacious1 »

free thoughtpolice wrote: They think Seals are "elite". We Canadians club them and skin them alive just to piss off PETA.
No SEAL jokes from a country whose navy can’t get one ship out of harbor.

free thoughtpolice

At least our country isn't run by the Deep State.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

free thoughtpolice wrote: They think Seals are "elite". We Canadians club them and skin them alive just to piss off PETA.
A friend of mine's father was a UDT who helped set up Seal Team One at the beginning, but as he pointed out it is hardly an exclusive club these days.

Apparently the US has 8,195 "elite" Seals, with 1,300 of those in what was called Team 6.

How eliete can they be when there are 8000 of them at any given time. That's about the same size as the entire Corps of Royal Marines. There are several European countries with entire armies smaller than that. Seal Team Six has more soldiers than Luxembourg and Monaco combined.

mordacious1

Post by mordacious1 »

free thoughtpolice wrote: At least our country isn't run by the Deep State.
Can’t get too deep...you have no submarines.

Clarence

Post by Clarence »

VickyCaramel wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:13 pm
A friend of mine's father was a UDT who helped set up Seal Team One at the beginning, but as he pointed out it is hardly an exclusive club these days.

Apparently the US has 8,195 "elite" Seals, with 1,300 of those in what was called Team 6.

How eliete can they be when there are 8000 of them at any given time. That's about the same size as the entire Corps of Royal Marines. There are several European countries with entire armies smaller than that. Seal Team Six has more soldiers than Luxembourg and Monaco combined.
"Elite" is partly inferred by their size as proportion of the combat arms of the armed forces. If I wanted to be as unfair as you are being , Vicky, there are currently about 320 million legal Americans and only 8195 of these are Seals. What percentage of the population is that again?
I'm not sure if the size of our regular army isn't a consider able proportion of the size of Luxmebourg and Monaco's population. Those are VERY small countries that almost certainly never defend themselves in a war against even a poor 'normal sized' country let alone a large country or superpower.

I've read about the Seal training program. Now it's possible they've cheapened that over the past 8 years or so (gotta get the women involved) but if it's anywhere near what the old one used to be then YES - 8195 Seals are still elite.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

mordacious1 wrote:
No SEAL jokes from a country whose navy can’t get one ship out of harbor.
So this seal walks into a bar, and the bartender asks him "What'll you have"

The seal replies "Anything but a Canadian Club!"

CaptainFluffyBunny

VickyCaramel wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote:

It's like Rugby, but Americans feel the need to wear body armour and helmets. I suspect it's because Americans carry guns, maybe the crowd shoot at them?
No, it's because even with armor, they mostly end up irreparably damaged. Not really funny, actually.

CaptainFluffyBunny

mordacious1 wrote:
Can’t get too deep...you have no submarines.
They have a few diesel-electric boats, but they're old and British built, so they probably don't count.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Or IS IT?

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/8UGAd9rC89g/hqdefault.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfh4Mhp-a6U

CaptainFluffyBunny

Dramatic Squirrel appears to be a groundhog. But if xe identifies as a squirrel, more power to it. Climbing trees is gonna be a challenge, tho...

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote: Dramatic Squirrel appears to be a groundhog. But if xe identifies as a squirrel, more power to it. Climbing trees is gonna be a challenge, tho...
Ableism! :o

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote: Dramatic Squirrel appears to be a groundhog. But if xe identifies as a squirrel, more power to it. Climbing trees is gonna be a challenge, tho...
Ableism! :o

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

People talking about things on the Internet may seem a bit tired at this point, however...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS71EDAwX1o

feathers

Post by feathers »

Shatterface wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:27 pm
That's compared with (I think) 0.6% of people being autistic.
Then why do I get the impression every other child and their dog are "on the spectrum"?

Keating

Post by Keating »

My mum got me a milk frother for my birthday. I didn't know hot chocolate could be this good. That is all.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Keating wrote: My mum got me a milk frother for my birthday. I didn't know hot chocolate could be this good. That is all.
https://www.thenewsminute.com/sites/def ... k=ymwwRhJA

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

VickyCaramel wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote:

Rugby v zzzzzzzBall

(Trigger warning at 8:41)

John D

Post by John D »

I also did my patrol car ride along on Saturday. It was pretty interesting. Cops have to do a TON of paperwork. We went to one domestic dispute. It took ten minutes to get there, 15 minutes to calm everybody down and then 15 minutes to fill out all the documentation.

A woman was struck and killed by a car. It was a hit-and-run so we drove around looking for the suspect vehicle. The driver got away, but they will continue to look for the vehicle.

We responded to an accident where the driver was trapped inside...so... we drove 80 mph down the surface street that has a 45mph speed limit with the lights and sirens. Crossing intersections is pretty hair raising.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

Clarence wrote:
VickyCaramel wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:13 pm

"Elite" is partly inferred by their size as proportion of the combat arms of the armed forces. If I wanted to be as unfair as you are being , Vicky, there are currently about 320 million legal Americans and only 8195 of these are Seals. What percentage of the population is that again?
I'm not sure if the size of our regular army isn't a consider able proportion of the size of Luxmebourg and Monaco's population. Those are VERY small countries that almost certainly never defend themselves in a war against even a poor 'normal sized' country let alone a large country or superpower.

I've read about the Seal training program. Now it's possible they've cheapened that over the past 8 years or so (gotta get the women involved) but if it's anywhere near what the old one used to be then YES - 8195 Seals are still elite.
You haven't really taken the bait unless you scream that the Seals are the best in the world.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:
VickyCaramel wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote:

No, it's because even with armor, they mostly end up irreparably damaged. Not really funny, actually.
I suspect it is much like boxing, thinner gloves would reduce injuries.

John D

Post by John D »

shoutinghorse wrote:
Rugby v zzzzzzzBall

(Trigger warning at 8:41)
Haha. Rugby looks like a good game, but I have never watched it.

We Mericans used to play American football with just a leather helmet. Players just got hurt too often. I guess I don't know why players get hurt so much in American football compared to rugby. Some people claim all the padding allows players to tackle harder. This could be, but I think it is just more common in US football to get hit harder. I think the tackles often comes from the opposite direction of the runner so the hits are harder. Maybe one of you smart pitters knows the answer to this. Also, when a player catches a forward pass they are very vulnerable to getting hit very hard.

For those not familiar with US football, there have been several studies now that show many players have permanent brain damage. This is often so severe it is crippling as the players get older. No one knows how to fix this except that there are lots of rules against hitting someones helmet in a tackle or hitting late. There is also a concussion protocol that prevents players from continuing to play with a potential concussion. This problem may actually spell the eventual end to American football. Some pro football players have gone public saying they will not let their own kids play the game.

Of note also is that there are now rules against "excessive celebration" after a play. The players were dancing and acting up so much it was delaying the game... so they made a rule to stop it. The footage in the video must be from before this rule was implemented.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Keating wrote: My mum got me a milk frother for my birthday. I didn't know hot chocolate could be this good. That is all.
I heard one of Richard Carrier's many nickname's is "milk frother". 8-)

John D

Post by John D »

Here is a quora discussion on why you need pads in American football. The comments here agree with my earlier assertions. The hits are just way harder in American football.

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-American-f ... ayers-dont

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_OIbZshvn0

SM1957

Post by SM1957 »

Rugby Union is very violent. A lot of players are injured a lot of the time.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

SM1957 wrote: Rugby Union is very violent. A lot of players are injured a lot of the time.
I know fuck all about sport, but Australian Rules looks worse than any of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxhqXzVBen4