There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

Old subthreads
Old_ones

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one of them

Post by Old_ones »

Suet Cardigan wrote:
I've never understood what the bingo cards are supposed to prove, but they are pretty easy to do.

Asshole bingo.jpg
(259.73 KiB) Downloaded 131 times

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Linsday got it wrong -- the joke is that Alt-Righters make those claims about the left.
..and a lot of those claims are true. That's why they (the regressive left) are pushing back against such terms. You see it with "cultural Marxism", which they really hate. They either go with the "this term was invented by Nazis in the 1930s, etc." or "this term does not make grammatical sense". The fact is, the term (whatever it used to mean) has come to refer to culmination of regressive ideologies and standpoints we see on the far left and in academia, today. They can call it something else it they want, but terms to refer to what people call "cultural Marxism" will still exist.

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

InfraRedBucket wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:52 pm
Shatterface wrote: Ive never understood the difference between the statements 'My wife is insatiable' and 'I can't satisfy my wife'.
"My wife's gone on holiday to India"
"Goa?"
"Well she does have a strong libido"

-
"My wife's gone on holiday to the carribean"
"Jamaica?"
"Nah, she wanted to go"

sorry

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

In my experience the further left someone is the harder they go in for Whorfianism. The idea that they can change the word yet people's fundamental perceptions of reality will remain intact is bizarre and alien to them. They're exactly backwards about what causes what, but they're right that making a particular topic impossible to discuss can stop rival political and cultural movements in their tracks.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

VickyCaramel wrote: 0eb9f5e81900083abebe7d8665d0ef17.png
This is the article that inspired that tweet. Look at the name of the neuroscientist they quoted: https://nypost.com/2018/01/24/scientist ... irst-time/

Brive1987

Re: There are 2018 genders... and a bitch ain't one

Post by Brive1987 »

Faith is back with a video gutting the Ottario "progressive conservatives"

Points of interest:
she hasnt toned her views or passion down
she is back to a local focus
no mention of her SM wipe
she only does voice over, no to camera

Id say she must have had a mini breakdown either Southern or wedding related

The vid is a force of nature effort worth watching simply for its coms value

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

Brive1987 wrote: Faith is back with a video gutting the Ottario "progressive conservatives"

Points of interest:

I made it through about 20 seconds, but couldn't take any more of her BS after "God exists" and "Ontario has the highest debt per capita in the world." (FYI: Ontario doesn't even have the highest debt per capita in Canada ... that would be Quebec.)

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

gurugeorge wrote:
I do think there's a bit of nihilism with those things sometimes, but it's really a mixed bag - sometimes there's good stuff - and that's partly what makes the format fun to watch.

As to the Alt Right feeding into it, I think that's a good thing - the debates between the Alt Right and the classical liberals are some of the most stimulating things on Youtube at the moment IMO. James Allsup recently had a discussion in similar livestream format between Nuance Bro (who's a straightforward civic nationalist) and Mike Enoch, and it was really good - you got a much clearer idea of Enoch's arguments (he's no slouch), where the Alt Right position makes sense and where it doesn't.
I'm starting to think that there was a point to Atheism+

Both Mike Enoch and Richard Spencer are atheists (with Spencer even being a Hitchens fan). So there obviously needs to be a way to distinguish the progressive atheists from those in the alt-right (or those on the right in general, I suppose).

If all 'atheist activism' by default includes left-wing values and assumptions - then some sort of split was bound to occur.

That said, I don't fall comfortably in either group - so I think that using 'atheist' as any sort of political label is pretty much futile.

Clarence

Post by Clarence »

DrokkIt wrote:
InfraRedBucket wrote:
Shatterface wrote: Ive never understood the difference between the statements 'My wife is insatiable' and 'I can't satisfy my wife'.
"Goa?"

-
"Jamaica?"
"Nah, she wanted to go"

sorry
You are unworthy of that Judge Suit Suh! I demand you turn it in, and take the Long Walk at once!

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Billie from Ockham wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:09 pm
Brive1987 wrote: Faith is back with a video gutting the Ottario "progressive conservatives"

Points of interest:

I made it through about 20 seconds, but couldn't take any more of her BS after "God exists" and "Ontario has the highest debt per capita in the world." (FYI: Ontario doesn't even have the highest debt per capita in Canada ... that would be Quebec.)

Content vs structure and delivery. It was welcome to see a passionate conservative critique by someone who actually attended the relevant court cases and read the base literature rather than relied on feelz.

Her traditional Catholicism is, I grant you, a USP of narrow relevance. It didn’t overtly reappear.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

MarcusAu wrote:
gurugeorge wrote:
I do think there's a bit of nihilism with those things sometimes, but it's really a mixed bag - sometimes there's good stuff - and that's partly what makes the format fun to watch.

As to the Alt Right feeding into it, I think that's a good thing - the debates between the Alt Right and the classical liberals are some of the most stimulating things on Youtube at the moment IMO. James Allsup recently had a discussion in similar livestream format between Nuance Bro (who's a straightforward civic nationalist) and Mike Enoch, and it was really good - you got a much clearer idea of Enoch's arguments (he's no slouch), where the Alt Right position makes sense and where it doesn't.

Both Mike Enoch and Richard Spencer are atheists (with Spencer even being a Hitchens fan). So there obviously needs to be a way to distinguish the progressive atheists from those in the alt-right (or those on the right in general, I suppose).

If all 'atheist activism' by default includes left-wing values and assumptions - then some sort of split was bound to occur.

That said, I don't fall comfortably in either group - so I think that using 'atheist' as any sort of political label is pretty much futile.
"Atheist" is an empty label, it's the absence of a belief, like saying "people who don't believe in fairies".

"New Atheism" was (is?) the promotion of secular, generally liberal-democratic ideas (neither leftist per se, more similar to the baseline view of nonreligious Europeans) based on criticizing religion without treating it with kid gloves and (at least in theory) on promoting an evidence-based approach to moral philosophy and politics.

It was created to limit and reduce the influence of creationism and other science-denying set of memes (climate change denialism, anti-vaxxing, anti-GMO irrational panics, etc.). It contrasted Stephen Jay Gould's NOMA, which the religious never accepted anyway, and was therefore seen as obsolete.

"New atheism" tended to be leftist more by necessity than by choice: the Religious Right was the biggest and most influential socio-political enemy of "New Atheists", so a strategic alliance with the left was the best choice. The fact that the American liberal left accepted climate change and wasn't very vocal in supporting anti-vaxxing or anit-GMO ideas helped, as it did the support for LGBT rights in both the left and the "New Atheist" milieu.

But "New Atheism" was never about economic policies, or immigration policies, or foreign policy, at least not in a precise way. "New Atheism" was a big tent/canvas were leftist economic or immigration or foreign policy ideas were common but not exclusive. There were plenty of prominent libertarian atheists, or hawkish, interventionist atheists (like, for example, Christopher Hitchens).

The "New Atheism" movement today is in shambles, and its liberal-democratic values are considered "racist" to the left and "anti-tradional/nihilistic" from the TradCon Alt-Right. Attacked from all sides the "big names" have stayed more or less true to their message, while the SocJus has been trying to co-opt atheism/secularism movements to suit its plans (with mixed results) and the alt-right spreading its memes.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Billie from Ockham wrote: I made it through about 20 seconds, but couldn't take any more of her BS after "God exists" and "Ontario has the highest debt per capita in the world." (FYI: Ontario doesn't even have the highest debt per capita in Canada ... that would be Quebec.)
https://images.penguinrandomhouse.com/c ... 0143108269

Billie from Ockham

Brive1987 wrote: Content vs structure and delivery. It was welcome to see a passionate conservative critique by someone who actually attended the relevant court cases and read the base literature rather than relied on feelz.
Please don't take this the wrong way, but when I want structure and delivery, I watch a (fictional) movie. A video of this sort is judged (by me) by its content. So, when it gets a basic fact wrong in the opening minute, I move on.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

My lack of belief in god(s) will be intersectional or it will be nothing! :snooty:

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

MarcusAu wrote:
gurugeorge wrote:

This is where the Skepticism label comes in. I have said it before, but Marxist were unwelcome entrists into Secular Societies under the guise of atheism as far back as the 1970s. I was always uncomfortable with Atheism being used as a label because it describes what we are not instead of what we are. Sadly, the very people who jumped into atheism via political ideology were the very people who hijacked "skepticism".

As far as I know, the word "secularist" is still untainted for anybody wishing to engage in political atheist activism.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Old_ones wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:48 pm
Suet Cardigan wrote:
I've never understood what the bingo cards are supposed to prove, but they are pretty easy to do.

Asshole bingo.jpg
Aligning words on a page, apparently, is not.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Farmer 1: Have you lived here all your life?
Farmer 2: Not yet I ain't.

Farmer 1: You're darn close to a complete fool, aren't ya?
Farmer 2: I'm standing just across the fence from him.

h/t Michelle Shocked.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

Kirbmarc wrote: The "New Atheism" movement today is in shambles, and its liberal-democratic values are considered "racist" to the left and "anti-tradional/nihilistic" from the TradCon Alt-Right. Attacked from all sides the "big names" have stayed more or less true to their message,[...]
I have largely abandoned the "New Atheist" big names because they are all over the fucking place!
On the one hand you have Sam Harris who while ignoring history and jumping the gun over evidence, and somehow managed to be broadly right on Islam, more by luck than judgement, also manages to avoid engaging with people he really should be challenging because they have the wrong kind of stink about them.
You have Dawkins taking pot-shots at the loony left one moment and virtue signalling his outrage at Trump and Brexit the next... you might think this puts him in the centre except that he doesn't seem to be particularly well informed about anything political. Another "big name", AC Grayling has now got the nickname "The nutty professor" and appears to have complete contempt for democracy... and reality.
Then you have Laurence Krauss and Neil deGrasse Tyson, who have largely stayed on message but have done nothing to confront the leftist interlopers who called them old white men (yes I know Tyson isn't white) and accused Krauss of being a rapist, they have generally shied away from the fight.

I am going to assume that Daniel Dennett must have died a decade ago, but the only other person worth a mention is Michael Shermer who now talks about drugs and diets on the Joe Rogan Drugs and Diets Show.

I can't really see them getting the band back together because as far as i can see there is no demand as the big battles were won. I am not even really sure if any of these guys did as much of the heavy lifting as we give them credit for. I doubt many people picked up their books until after they had lost the argument to people like you and me. And it certainly wasn't these guys who did the hard work on keeping creationism out of the schools.

Really?

Post by Really? »

The latest #MeToo/#TimesUp victim has a long history of using power to protect sexual harassers.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/act ... arassment/

Billie from Ockham

VickyCaramel wrote: I am going to assume that Daniel Dennett must have died a decade ago....
Someone needs to warn the students who signed up for his course this semester.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

I still have an appreciation of the big 4 of 'New Atheism' (though I'm not on twitter so may not be as jaded as some). There was always a danger of learning something from them if you paid attention - which puts them a level above most pundits.

It's becoming trendy to criticise them - for instance I've seen words to the effect that Dawkins is just looking to protect his 'legacy' so does not want to comment on 'race-realism'. But you know - none of these guys owe me or anyone else anything. What they did do was to demonstrate that we need to stand up and argue for what we believe in (or don't as the case may be) - at a time when it was not particularly easy to do so.

Maybe time has passed them by - but I'm not just going to disparage someone just because it has become fashionable.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

MarcusAu wrote: I still have an appreciation of the big 4 of 'New Atheism' (though I'm not on twitter so may not be as jaded as some). There was always a danger of learning something from them if you paid attention - which puts them a level above most pundits.

It's becoming trendy to criticise them - for instance I've seen words to the effect that Dawkins is just looking to protect his 'legacy' so does not want to comment on 'race-realism'. But you know - none of these guys owe me or anyone else anything. What they did do was to demonstrate that we need to stand up and argue for what we believe in (or don't as the case may be) - at a time when it was not particularly easy to do so.

Maybe time has passed them by - but I'm not just going to disparage someone just because it has become fashionable.
I wasn't aware it was fashionable, I stopped paying attention to them years ago.

dogen

Post by dogen »

VickyCaramel wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:19 am
free thoughtpolice wrote: Sources claim Dutch intelligence discovered hackers that were interfering in American election, even tracking them to Russia and catching them on camera.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-neth ... SKBN1FE34W
"interfering in American election" is a funny way of saying they hacked into Hillary's illegal server and exposed all the shady shit she had been up to. If we want to know what "interfering in an election" really looks like we have numerous examples where the US has done it that we can learn from.
There's no evidence that Hillary's server was ever hacked. The article is about Dutch intelligence reports of the DNC being hacked.

You're such a dumb fucking bint, you can't even get your own conspiracy theory straight.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

VickyCaramel wrote:
MarcusAu wrote: I still have an appreciation of the big 4 of 'New Atheism' (though I'm not on twitter so may not be as jaded as some). There was always a danger of learning something from them if you paid attention - which puts them a level above most pundits.

I wasn't aware it was fashionable, I stopped paying attention to them years ago.
I'm not so sure that is accurate - you've (fairly) recently had some rather pointed things to say on Dawkins stance on Brexit after all.

I'm not much of a dedicated follower of fashion (or perhaps fascism) myself - so perhaps my feelings can be chalked up to nostalgia.

Really?

Post by Really? »

dogen wrote:
VickyCaramel wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote: Sources claim Dutch intelligence discovered hackers that were interfering in American election, even tracking them to Russia and catching them on camera.
"interfering in American election" is a funny way of saying they hacked into Hillary's illegal server and exposed all the shady shit she had been up to. If we want to know what "interfering in an election" really looks like we have numerous examples where the US has done it that we can learn from.
There's no evidence that Hillary's server was ever hacked. The article is about Dutch intelligence reports of the DNC being hacked.

You're such a dumb fucking bint, you can't even get your own conspiracy theory straight.
There is part of the problem with Hillary's illegal server that Obama knew about and she refused all advice to stop using.

The FBI originally concluded that it was "reasonably likely" that the unprotected server had been breached, but Hillary's friends in the FBI who filed that insurance policy changed the language in their findings to protect the candidate they wanted to win while they were both banging people they weren't married to poly-style.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/12 ... -show.html

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Brive1987 wrote: Content vs structure and delivery. It was welcome to see a passionate conservative critique by someone who actually attended the relevant court cases and read the base literature rather than relied on feelz.
Please don't take this the wrong way, but when I want structure and delivery, I watch a (fictional) movie. A video of this sort is judged (by me) by its content. So, when it gets a basic fact wrong in the opening minute, I move on.
We should do coffee and discuss this further. I’ll bring the anal beads.

I have long ago given up on YouTube as any sort of source of truth. I tease out useful ideas and identify weaknesses and judge the skill and value of the delivery on a propaganda basis. The whole alt-right, alt-lite, new right, civic/ethno, thot debate is intriguing.

Apologies if I came across as a simple ideological fan-boy. I’m not sure the world needs a Ukrainian orthodox alt-right faction. But I can appreciate Goldy’s overall in group strength relative to a Bre Faucheux or Tara.

Personally I am my own definition of ethno-nationalist. I have no time for mystic blood and soil fantasies, hark backs to Nazi iconography, obsession over the JQ and race IQ et al BS. The correlation between skin colour, geographic locale and ethnic identity is there, but skin colour is not a direct driver or marker of innate superiority. I also have little time for flip coin civic nationalist fantasies.

On another note.

The Faith mystery probably can’t be explained without consideration of the thot wars. Lauren was seriously sandbagged in December over not just her past inter-racial sex but also her continued defence of it. Lauren noted the dude was half black, half Irish, a Christian and voted Trump. This was seen as civil nationalism wearing a MAGA hat.

The alt-right main camp is strongly racialist so LS was firmly ostracised- her cos play history was equated to her YT plan. Become the desirable minority and lift money from the marks. Sounds familiar.

About the same time Faith came out ethno-national, stalked all the alt-right channels and uttered the 14 words. Ie implicitly supported the coal burner narrative.

Further to this Lauren had moved recently to Faith’s Ontario and had been a supporter.

Then Southern headed to SA and FG went dark before coming out with “Nationaist Tourist” and “outside interference” jibes.

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

I thought “New Athesism” and “aggressive scientific based atheism with an emphasis on separation” were synonymous concepts.

Simple as that.

dogen

Post by dogen »

Really? wrote:
dogen wrote:
VickyCaramel wrote:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.
Sorry, mate, I don't speak latin.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Brive1987 wrote:

On another note.

The Faith mystery probably can’t be explained without consideration of the thot wars. Lauren was seriously sandbagged in December over not just her past inter-racial sex but also her continued defence of it. Lauren noted the dude was half black, half Irish, a Christian and voted Trump. This was seen as civil nationalism wearing a MAGA hat.

The alt-right main camp is strongly racialist so LS was firmly ostracised- her cos play history was equated to her YT plan. Become the desirable minority and lift money from the marks. Sounds familiar.

About the same time Faith came out ethno-national, stalked all the alt-right channels and uttered the 14 words. Ie implicitly supported the coal burner narrative.

Further to this Lauren had moved recently to Faith’s Ontario and had been a supporter.

Then Southern headed to SA and FG went dark before coming out with “Nationaist Tourist” and “outside interference” jibes.

Once they've gained the attention of the little head, the big head does all the vocal (or written) rationalisation.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

dogen wrote:
...I've never even been to Latveria

free thoughtpolice

There was this one Latverian woman I "dated".
Her eyes were a hypnotic green like emeralds. Her skin was flawless, smooth as porcelain, but the hue of the healthiest peach.
Press pay if you want to hear the rest.

Really?

Post by Really? »

dogen wrote:
Really? wrote:
dogen wrote:
VickyCaramel wrote:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.
That is lorem ipsum. I didn't say that. Lorem ipsum is a common placeholder for text used to develop magazine layouts before the real text is introduced. Don't know why that text appeared in the quote. I will copy paste what I actually said:

Really? said:

There is part of the problem with Hillary's illegal server that Obama knew about and she refused all advice to stop using.

The FBI originally concluded that it was "reasonably likely" that the unprotected server had been breached, but Hillary's friends in the FBI who filed that insurance policy changed the language in their findings to protect the candidate they wanted to win while they were both banging people they weren't married to poly-style.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/12 ... -show.html

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

In the spirit of my earlier post, here is the rather odd opportunity to peer from the alt right window at Skepticism.

Billie you may not get past the conflation of Sargon with skepticism ..... :lol:

free thoughtpolice

I was hoping for some hot Carrier style action and I get this:
http://www.foxnews.com/content/fox-news/politics.html
Must have got censored by the deep state.

Easy J

Post by Easy J »

That shirt Sargon is wearing in that vid is problematic. Is Kekistan ripping off our logo?

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

VickyCaramel wrote:

Hipster Vicky?

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

More info than you ever needed to know.

So.

My education is obviously lacking. If you cascade water onto your privates wouldn’t the bath, umm, fill up?

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Points of interest:

https.://youtu.be/q2Gwrz7QERA
I wonder if Faith was referencing this:

“With twice the debt of California, Ontario is now the world’s most indebted sub-sovereign borrower”

http://business.financialpost.com/news/ ... n-borrower

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

I've never lived in a house with a bath. I guess there's a whole bunch of my sexual education missing.

Guest_d2e60302

Post by Guest_d2e60302 »

Transphobic bitch. Not all women have cunts.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Brive1987 wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:04 pm
More info than you ever needed to know.

So.

My education is obviously lacking. If you cascade water onto your privates wouldn’t the bath, umm, fill up?
Shallow tubs or water usage guidelines are part of patriarchy or something. .

And freethoughtpolice, it is so strange that I have tried to post the primary source about Strzok's changes in Comey's statement. The first time, the phpbb magically changed the quote to lorem ipsem...all by itself....making it look like I copied in placeholder text! How did that happen? Magic? Russian sorcery? Has to be those goddamn Russians, right? With their fake news? Only the Russians would misrepresent people with fake news.

MSM about Strzok and his poly girlfriend altering the 2016 election:

http://thehill.com/policy/national-secu ... violations

Isn't it Fucking amazing that no one is talking about how the Fucking FBI conspired to clear a Fucking presidential candidate of Fucking crimes to make sure she would be the Fucking president and even if she lost, they took out a Fucking insurance policy?

But I guess no one would Fucking find out about that if others just PZ Ipsum Loren relevant comments.

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

DrokkIt wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:22 pm
InfraRedBucket wrote:
"Goa?"

-
"Jamaica?"
"Nah, she wanted to go"

sorry
"My wife's gone to the East Indies."
"Djakarta?"
"No, she went by plane."

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

"My wife's gone on holiday in France."

"Paris?"

"Sadly, yes."

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:58 pm
MarcusAu wrote:

"Atheist" is an empty label, it's the absence of a belief, like saying "people who don't believe in fairies".

"New Atheism" was (is?) the promotion of secular, generally liberal-democratic ideas (neither leftist per se, more similar to the baseline view of nonreligious Europeans) based on criticizing religion without treating it with kid gloves and (at least in theory) on promoting an evidence-based approach to moral philosophy and politics.

It was created to limit and reduce the influence of creationism and other science-denying set of memes (climate change denialism, anti-vaxxing, anti-GMO irrational panics, etc.). It contrasted Stephen Jay Gould's NOMA, which the religious never accepted anyway, and was therefore seen as obsolete.
This. Myers is right when he says there's no real point to dictionary atheism, and that's never what the movement was about. We were taking the much more aggressive position that you could be close to certain there is no God, that the concept should be poked fun at, and that we could point toward tangible benefits in abandoning belief on a society wide scale. If it was just about the absence of belief this questioner would be on to something. Why not just stay home?

The thing is the battles were all won. The Dover trial was a humiliation for the creationists, with the official word now being that this is not and never will be a respectable idea, no matter what new terminology they hide it behind. The very well publicized debates drove home the same message, adding that the moral claims of religion were on no better footing. Once the point had been made effectively continuing to harp on it became increasingly annoying. A transformation was needed to stay relevant. So a bunch of entryists with the half-baked idea that radical leftism follows from atheism in the same manner as opposition to creationism decided that's where the future is. Because it's not like we had another ascendant religion to set our sights on or anything... :bjarte:

Oglebart

Post by Oglebart »

This is the best take on the J Petersen/Cathy Newman interview so far.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

jet_lagg wrote: The thing is the battles were all won. The Dover trial was a humiliation for the creationists, with the official word now being that this is not and never will be a respectable idea, no matter what new terminology they hide it behind. The very well publicized debates drove home the same message, adding that the moral claims of religion were on no better footing. Once the point had been made effectively continuing to harp on it became increasingly annoying. A transformation was needed to stay relevant. So a bunch of entryists with the half-baked idea that radical leftism follows from atheism in the same manner as opposition to creationism decided that's where the future is. Because it's not like we had another ascendant religion to set our sights on or anything... :bjarte:
Yeah. I mean, criticism of islam done in a rational, religion-centered and focus way was (and still is) sorely needed. "New Atheism" could have really, for example, helped ex-muslims to find networks, to get to speech to the crowd, to explain how and why islam was flawed, and everything without even mentioning the alt-righters and their ethnic ideas. This is what happened, to a degree (see the growth of ex-muslim networks like the Secular Jihadists or ex-muslims publishing books, like Ali Rizvi) but it's been a lot harder and less effective than it could have been, and the SocJus is largely to blame.

Hitchens, Harris, Dawkins, Dennett and the others could have helped to establish fertile soil for a campaign of criticism of islam focused on islam as a religion, with more knowledgeable ex-muslims filling in necessary information, and everything being about fighting regressive/reactionary attitudes inspired by islam.

At the very least muslim thought leaders that advocate for slavery, forceful marriage, underage marriage, disproportionate punishment, violence, misogyny and homophobia, or who apologise for theocracies and/or muslim regressiveness, could have been exposed, mocked and excluded from progressive circles, and we wouldn't have had Linda Sarsour as a head of a "Women's March", or Tariq fucking Ramadan keeping up his act of being a "moderate" and a "progressive", or Labour leaders being butt-buddies with Hamas or Hezbollah, or excusing anti-semitism of muslims.

I don't think that the an atheism/skeptic movement focused on the flaws of islam likely would have changed the world, but at least it would have gradually changed the attitudes of the progressives towards islam, from the paternalistic "poor things don't know any better, it's their culture" to a more reasonable assessment of who is truly regressive and who is more susceptible to reason.

Instead, by pandering to postmodern, anti-scientific people only because they claimed to be victims of intolerable cruelties such a being asked out in elevators or getting trolled online the atheist/skeptic/secularist movements have wasted time, effort and effectiveness fighting civil wars, trying to argue about flirting at atheist cons, discussed big breasted women in video games, etc.

Also the issues of islam have become taboo, with accusations of "racism" and "islamophobia" being leveled at progressive atheist/skeptics like Harris or Myers or even Stephen Pinker, with po-mo ideologues embracing islam as a "religion of peace" which is always made up of perpetual victims of Western Nefariousness, with hijabs being celebrated as "feminist", and other forms of idiocy and nonsense.

And now it's the ethno-nationalists who are leading the discourse on islam, and they're doing it to push for their ethno-states.

Congratulations, SJWs, good job! By fighting against the rational criticism you dubbed "dog-whistling for racism", you've missed a lot of opportunities to have a rational conversation on islam, and now people flock to the alt-right for solutions.

Indeed that's a recurring theme with the Po-Mo left: instead of promoting changes or reforms or even sensible criticism of the right they've spent a lot of time attacking anyone on the left/progressive side who wasn't 100% on board with their theories and lingo, they've alienated lots of people from progressive causes, and they've accomplished pretty much NOTHING except bitching on social media.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

dogen wrote:
Really? wrote:
dogen wrote:
VickyCaramel wrote:

How is this different to sticking your fingers in your ears and saying "na-na-na-na-na-na"?

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

jet_lagg wrote:
This. Myers is right when he says there's no real point to dictionary atheism, and that's never what the movement was about. We were taking the much more aggressive position that you could be close to certain there is no God, that the concept should be poked fun at, and that we could point toward tangible benefits in abandoning belief on a society wide scale. If it was just about the absence of belief this questioner would be on to something. Why not just stay home?

The thing is the battles were all won. The Dover trial was a humiliation for the creationists, with the official word now being that this is not and never will be a respectable idea, no matter what new terminology they hide it behind. The very well publicized debates drove home the same message, adding that the moral claims of religion were on no better footing. Once the point had been made effectively continuing to harp on it became increasingly annoying. A transformation was needed to stay relevant. So a bunch of entryists with the half-baked idea that radical leftism follows from atheism in the same manner as opposition to creationism decided that's where the future is. Because it's not like we had another ascendant religion to set our sights on or anything... :bjarte:
As I recall 'New Atheism' (I'll stick with the scare quotes for the meantime) caught on in the wake of 911, the Dover trial in 2006 subsequently gave it a second wind. It's ideas may seem a bit worn by now - but the good news that you don't have to do what the religious authoritarians tell you is still relevant to those in the Middle East, and other parts of the world.

That said, it's real legacy appears to be that no cow is as sacred as we are told, and that the point must be argued even when there isn't one.

Religion is not dead (in fact I think it's due for a comeback) - so I'll hold off on pissing on the corpse and / or dancing on the grave for the meantime.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

MarcusAu wrote: I'm not so sure that is accurate - you've (fairly) recently had some rather pointed things to say on Dawkins stance on Brexit after all.
Some of the people I followed on Twitter were retweeting him, while criticizing him. Even so I didn't pay too much attention because what I tended to see on twitter was dozens of people criticizing him and him ignoring that criticism. As far as I could see he was just virtue signalling.

It appeared to me that his own foundation and closely associated organizations were hijacked by the far left, who were then ousted and replaced with people who were slightly less frothing, he either decided that this where he wanted to be or the best he could expect. From then on he retreated from taking potshots at feminists and Islam.

I can understand people being anti-Trump, but the EU has no redeeming features. I place Remainers slightly below flat-earthers on the scale of people worth paying attention to.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

Brive1987 wrote: On another note.

The TL;DR version of the video is, LS isn't Alt-Right, she attacks the Alt-Right, is unrepentant for being a civic nationalist and a degenerate, so the brainless morons of the Alt-Right have to stop pretending she was one of their own?

I think a more important message he should have given to his minions was to stop the other brainless morons in his movement from telling women to get back in the kitchen

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

VickyCaramel wrote: I place Remainers slightly below flat-earthers on the scale of people worth paying attention to.
As the Remainers were made up of almost the entire political establishment (both left and right), as well as just about all of the mainstream media - I don't think that anyone would say that they are without influence.

So it seems rather strange to say that they are not worth paying attention to (at least in general).

But what do I know - I'll even pay attention to flat (or hollow) earthers from time to time.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Southern isnt a civic nationalist when it comes to Europe and is dating an identitarian. She pissed a lot of people off by claiming that USA couldnt go ethno because its too young. She supports its ok to be white, but mostly to trigger libs. if her book is anything to go by she has all the wisdom of a 23 year old.

You sound like you have a problem with white sharia? ;)

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

So is America older or younger than Germany or Italy?

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

VickyCaramel wrote:
Brive1987 wrote: On another note.

The TL;DR version of the video is, LS isn't Alt-Right, she attacks the Alt-Right, is unrepentant for being a civic nationalist and a degenerate, so the brainless morons of the Alt-Right have to stop pretending she was one of their own?

I think a more important message he should have given to his minions was to stop the other brainless morons in his movement from telling women to get back in the kitchen
This last point seems a little unfair. From what I've seen some (OK - Mike Enoch and his associates) say is that while women should not take part in public political life there could be a women's auxiliary (like a book club or the Catholic Women's League I suppose) - where they sit around and discuss alt-right ideas amoungst themselves.

Maybe they are taking Judgy Bitches / Janet Bloomfields idea that voting should be a male only affair to heart.

In any case, I'm sure you have your own ideas...

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

MarcusAu wrote: So is America older or younger than Germany or Italy?
Are you trying to establish guilt for statutory rape?

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Brive1987 wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:39 pm

I have long ago given up on YouTube as any sort of source of truth. I tease out useful ideas and identify weaknesses and judge the skill and value of the delivery on a propaganda basis. The whole alt-right, alt-lite, new right, civic/ethno, thot debate is intriguing.

Apologies if I came across as a simple ideological fan-boy. I’m not sure the world needs a Ukrainian orthodox alt-right faction. But I can appreciate Goldy’s overall in group strength relative to a Bre Faucheux or Tara.

Personally I am my own definition of ethno-nationalist. I have no time for mystic blood and soil fantasies, hark backs to Nazi iconography, obsession over the JQ and race IQ et al BS. The correlation between skin colour, geographic locale and ethnic identity is there, but skin colour is not a direct driver or marker of innate superiority. I also have little time for flip coin civic nationalist fantasies.

On another note.

Crap. I just realized that by their standards, I am an unrepentant coal burner too.

What is currently being passed off as alt-right is a horrible self-limiting purity trial. It is the same problem that Atheism Plus had. Once they had obtained agreement on one level of purity, they ratcheted it down to an even more stringent standard of purity.

The only thing that makes the current Alt-Right look good is that many sane centrists had previously called themselves alt-right before the white nationalist consumed the label, and the fact that the radical left is calling [all of the sane right, sane left and centrists] "alt-right."

Side question: Has anyone seen any man get called a "coal burner" before? I have only see that slur in reference to a woman.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Brive1987 wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:39 pm

On another note.

Crap. I just realized that by their standards, I am an unrepentant coal burner too.

What is currently being passed off as alt-right is a horrible self-limiting purity trial. It is the same problem that Atheism Plus had. Once they had obtained agreement on one level of purity, they ratcheted it down to an even more stringent standard of purity.

The only thing that makes the current Alt-Right look good is that many sane centrists had previously called themselves alt-right before the white nationalist consumed the label, and the fact that the radical left is calling [all of the sane right, sane left and centrists] "alt-right."

Side question: Has anyone seen any man get called a "coal burner" before? I have only see that slur in reference to a woman.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

MarcusAu wrote: Maybe they are taking Judgy Bitches / Janet Bloomfields idea that voting should be a male only affair to heart.

In any case, I'm sure you have your own ideas...
You don't know the half of it!
I am going to take the stance with the Alt-Right the same as I would with feminism, in so much as what the Alt-Right's leaders say in their carefully scripted, optic-conscious videos, is not an accurate depiction as what the alt-right are saying in the wild.

I don't know that I have ever specifically heard it said that women shouldn't be allowed to vote, I have however heard the sentiment that if women have any involvement in politics, movements, organizations or communities this is feminism and feminism is cancer. We will take all the credit, try to change it, and destroy it from within... I am tempted to test that assertion but the Alt-Right is nothing more than a curiosity, possibly a fetish.

There are women who would like nothing better than to be domestic slaves and baby factories, be chained to the kitchen and receive a daily spanking from a thug in a Nazi uniform. I think this is an interesting alternative to the Gor lifestyle and I am sure it will have a sizable following.

Something I hear often is that unless a woman is married to a white man and pumping out white babies, she hasn't met the minimum requirement to take part in the conversation. That is how women can do their part and if they aren't doing it they aren't Alt-Right.

The Alt-Right as far as i can tell is full of try-hards. They aren't the slobs or basement dwelling neckbeards the feminists like to think they are. They seem to have self discipline, they work hard and they are still losers. Even if they earn a reasonable amount of money, they have no power and they aren't particularly successful with women. This is probably because most of them appear to be teenagers. The Alt-Right is a power fantasy where they have order and they are respected for being the masters of that order. I don't think this power fantasy has much to offer 'normal' women.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Additional question:

What do these pure, jew hating, "alt-right"ers consider white?

That has to be one hell of a complex question and answer. Are the spanish white? Italians? What about the race mixing going on in Russia? Do greeks count? Romanians? Poles are pretty white, but might they be considered inferior stock? Are they playing by the one drop rule? How far back in history, or how many great great grandparents do they go back to determine no intermixing has occurred?

The major scientific consensus is that we all came out of Africa when you look far enough back. Where is the line drawn?

I am not saying that race does not exist. But "white" is still a fucking arbitrary designation with no clean deliminators.

https://imgoat.com/uploads/033ab37c30/79599.jpg