Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads
Waterkant

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by Waterkant »

Pitchguest wrote:Who the hell is Simon on Michael Nugent's blog? Simon Singh? That's ... Hensley's husband, right?

I guess he Singhs to her tune, the goose-stepping harpy. *ducks*
Simon Singh is an incredibly decent person. No relationship there at all.

jjbinx007

Post by jjbinx007 »

Dick Strawkins wrote:Regarding Simon Davies (Simon Singh, as if!), I noticed on Melodys rather hilariously sad blog (a typical post being http://melodyhensley.tumblr.com/post/38 ... stfeminism ) that Simon is working on producing an online history of women in secularism.
From that link:
Now atheist feminism has a new enemy and it’s mostly secular: The Men’s Rights Movement.
WHY? WHY IS IT THE ENEMY? For fuck's fucking sake.

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

[spoiler]I'm concerned about the accusations of people engaging in criminal activity by EBW. This is a bit further than (what I've seen) against others as it's just been 'harassment, bullying and jerky-faceness'. If I was less of a jerky-face, I may have backed out of any participation in the community waiting for a knock on the door from the state police and the cyber police. And we need to welcome more people in, not only allowing them in if they are either (a) a jerky-face or (b) wholly in agreement with FtB, A+ and Skepchick on everything.

I also blogged the comments by EllenBeth that I engaged in criminal activity by receiving tweets if anyone wants to read them - as I suspect they'll be deleted. (Sorry for being a blog whore - (http://unsolicitedcomment.wordpress.com ... uaintance/))[/spoiler])

And fuck all y'all: [spoiler]learn how to nest your fucking spoilers, you fucking fucks[/spoiler].

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Quick correction to Darren's drunken commentary a few pages back:
Darren wrote:Oops, I mis-spelled "Schweigert". There's not supposed to be a '3' in there.
Rusty Schweickart left NASA before Apollo 13, was doing stuff in public policy around science/technology at that time. The astronaut on Apollo 13 who died 12 yrs later of cancer was Jack Swigert.

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

Aw fuck [spoiler]I left a fucking bracket out of one of my spoilers.[/spoiler]

[spoiled-spoiler] this spoiler won't work [/spoiled-spoiler]

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Eucliwood wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:Thanks BS is gone.
Lsuoma can you run a poll? <snip>

Please. Please. Please.
Eucli, maybe do a little homework first, hey? faq.php#f2r3

welch

Post by welch »

Ellenbeth, the gift that keeps on giving:

Michael @38:

So, if a group of people started false-flagging all the CFI/FTB/Skepchicks videos because of personal animosity towards those groups or the people within those groups, you'd have no problem with that, since after all:
Flagging is an example of freedom of expression in action, not a denial of freedom of expression. I have the right to publish a video on YouTube, you have the right to tell YouTube that you want them to examine if it fits with their rules.
and if it happened that enough people flagged those channels and YT took them down, you'd be perfectly okay with that, since that's how the service works.

Pardon my doubts on that. I think you'd be rather put out by such an action, and rightfully so. But, what's good for the goose is good for the gander, etc., yadda.

Ellenbeth @39:

MZ wachs...
@Za-zen No it wasn’t merely my assertion. It was from Mr. Welch’s own post. Please go back and see. And it is your own assertion now that I dislike Mr. Welch as I actually am unaware of having ever met the man. I can say I dislike what I have read of his very much.

So the fact I didn't initially subscribe to the comment notification feed shows...only that I'm lazy. The fact I wasn't monitoring this post, (but now am, you're most entertaining), is in your world, a sign of some deep ...something. Well, <i>derp</i> something for sure. I made a post before michael's retraction. The fact I didn't IMMEDIATELY post after said retraction doesn't change the time stamps to make you right.

Note, there is in fact a difference between "before" and "after", here a helpful video which illustrates this:

your statements are kind of like saying that if I cut myself shaving, because the cut healed over cleanly with no scar, I never cut myself. Well, no, I still cut myself, I just healed up. Just because I didn't post an acknowledgement of michael's retraction on your schedule doesn't change the fact that my initial statement was posted BEFORE his retraction. Really.
But you are correct. I wouldn’t consider Mr. Welch as a contributor to my conference. We are a humanist organization. For some odd reason, I really don’t see that someone calling people “New Media Douchebags” is very humanistic.
You had little to worry about. Although I'd point out that deciding someone is good or bad based on the use of "douchebag" is not only not humanistic, but hardly intellectually honest either.

Eucliwood

Post by Eucliwood »

rocko2466 wrote:Aw fuck [spoiler]I left a fucking bracket out of one of my spoilers.[/spoiler]

[spoiled-spoiler] this spoiler won't work [/spoiled-spoiler]
[spoiler]Warning: Offensive Comment Coming Up - Wow, are you serious? How hard is it to nest something in spoilers? I have an IQ tone if that'll help. Who wants em? Maybe a spoiler tagging class?[/spoiler]

masakari2012

Post by masakari2012 »

Skep tickle wrote:
Thank you! **HUG** :mrgreen:
It's "Hugs, if you want them"! I am offended by hugs :violin: .... even on teh interwebz... and especially from women, since I am a misogynist :twisted:

Remick

Post by Remick »

Things seem to be getting even crazier lately... Every time I watch one of the baboon's videos or read one of their posts, it feels like I am watching this:

[youtube]jDKvWiToj8Y[/youtube]

comslave

Post by comslave »

franc wrote:

[spoiler]http://i.imgur.com/NqUmQ.jpg[/spoiler]
You've just ruined sex forever.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

[quote="Mykeru"
3. Don't be Renee. This is probably the most important.[/quote]
I totes wish I could thank you for this post...

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

TheMan wrote:
Tigzy wrote:Regarding the vegetarianism debate.

The only thing I really want to know is if a vegetarian's shit smells different from a normal person's.

Kudos to Michael Nugent for being clear about his error, btw.
My partner goes in and out of vegetariansim.... Both our shit stinks, mine might be a bit for sulphuric but I like how when she decides to become a vegetarian I have to become one by default. She even went through a stage where she couldn't stand the sight of meat so I had to eat out if I wanted meat. I had to employ white anting tactics to swing her back round for example after a couple of months of vegetarianism she had a light period so I told her because she lacked iron. another time I told her she was looking pale and can I fetch her an old WWII favourite - Vegemite & noodle soup so I can boost her B2 vitamin groups.

At least I don't have to cook separate meals after I have done the ironing or mopping the Lino floors.

She started Kundalini Yoga a couple of months ago so she's decided to cut out onions & garlic...there goes half my dinner planning. So tonight, after I bring in the washing off the line before it gets dark, I have to think of a tasty meal sans onion & garlic.

Burp...sorry I'm famished for some patriarcy. Anyone know a good recipe?
I'd worry about what that yoga place is teaching her. Some eastern style new agey types believe that onion and garlic will bring about too many animalistic urges (read: sexual desires). They may be teaching her that she should lessen the sex and other pleasant physical things in her life and to focus on the mind and yoga-style spirituality instead.

Then again, jainism styled believers may tell her that eating root vegetables kills the plant, so one must only eat plant foods that leave the plant alive (like fruits and seeds). That would rule out onions and garlic. But also potatoes, carrots, etc. If she's only getting rid of onion and garlic, it's more likely the anti-sexual/hedonism crap.

Yoga's not just an exercise set. It usually comes with wild health claims, 'state of mind' nonsense, and even outright magical thinking spirituality stuff.

Holy crap! Her type is kookier than I realized. It's on this wiki page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kundalini_Yoga

It doesn't mention garlic and onions, but maybe her swami incorporates that from somewhere else, or maybe it's part of hinduism, which yoga is based on.

Eucliwood

Post by Eucliwood »

[spoiler]
Lsuoma wrote:(quote="Mykeru"
3. Don't be Renee. This is probably the most important.[/quote)
[/spoiler]

[spoiler]
Seriously? That was so fail I had to cover it up. YOU can't even do tags right? What the FUCK. I've picked up how to tags now & I've been here a short while.
[/spoiler]

(I had to replace the bracket with the parenthesis to make it show up as rightly fail)

codelette

Post by codelette »

For such an anti-patriarchal warrior, Melody Hensley seems pretty enthralled with the institution of marriage...

Rawrsome

Post by Rawrsome »

Fuck off the fucking thank you fucking thing its cunting the fuck out of shit.

Dick Strawkins wrote:Regarding Simon Davies (Simon Singh, as if!), I noticed on Melodys rather hilariously sad blog (a typical post being http://melodyhensley.tumblr.com/post/38 ... stfeminism ) that Simon is working on producing an online history of women in secularism.
http://www.tiki-toki.com/timeline/entry ... _01:13:13!

http://www.tiki-toki.com/timeline/entry ... nel=768934!

Holy shit, she convinced attention whoring bloggers to turn up somewhere based nothing but the promise of attention and money.

comslave

Post by comslave »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
codelette wrote:and this is from a site that takes pride on being the forefront of science and skepticism. Shit that Marilove says...
http://i.imgur.com/chcGq.png

lol
Physics/biology/chemistry= fat shaming.
I think Marilove is expecting somebody to some to her house and do the work for her.

"But I ated only three radishes orl off today and I iz still teh fat!"

I don't know who this idiot Marilove is, but according to my college phys ed teacher, it is that fucking simple. There's something called the "basil metabolic minimum" of calorie intake. The smallest amount of calories you need to keep you alive. If you can keep your food intake to that level, you automatically lose weight without killing yourself.

In the meantime, I go to the gym 6-7 times a week. It seems to work for me.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Mykeru wrote:[spoiler]
ReneeHendricks wrote:
Eucliwood wrote:
Mykeru wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:DAMN IT! I screwed up the spoiler.
Yeah, that's absolutely shocking...DERP!
So how exactly do you screw up the spoiler tag? What happens?
I put the end tag in the wrong spot (thereby having an end quote before the end spoiler - so: quote - spoiler - endquote - endspoiler).
[/spoiler]
You want to have the spoiler tags, like all tags, properly nested. If you have a quote /quote you don't interrupt that tag beginning and ending, so the proper spoiler use is spoiler quote /quote /spoiler.

Stick the spoiler in another tag, spoiler quote /spoiler /quote, you are interrupting that tag and the spoiler tag and things go full fuck up.

So

1. Pay attention to the beginning and end of tags. Don't stick a tag in the middle of another tag in a way that it truncates the end brackets

2. Use the preview function before you post anything

3. Don't be Renee. This is probably the most important.
:goatsebun:

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

I need to take up yoga, I hear its good for sciatica. Which is a result of my having scoliosis. (fuck carrying heavy books on my right hip all those years, grr)

Rawrsome

Post by Rawrsome »

Eucliwood wrote:
Lsuoma can you run a poll? Like, with things like "Supports/Praises AVfM" "Comments on it (does not praise it, just like commenting on FtB isn't the same as supporting)" "Does not comment on AVfM"

So I have something to link to that guy? Cos he's acting like "many" here support or praise AVfM. Idk much about it but to his readers they're asshole misogynists, so I would not like this forum to be tied with AVfM, as if we're just a bunch of AVfM-ers at some place new called SlymePit.

Please. Please. Please.

I'm not sure what a AVfM is but I totally am one and so if my wife.

[spoiler]Sorry to fuck with your plans[/spoiler]

[spoiler]ok not really sorry at all[/spoiler]

Eucliwood

Post by Eucliwood »

comslave wrote:
I don't know who this idiot Marilove is, but according to my college phys ed teacher, it is that fucking simple. There's something called the "basil metabolic minimum" of calorie intake. The smallest amount of calories you need to keep you alive. If you can keep your food intake to that level, you automatically lose weight without killing yourself.

You never addressed the fact that they claim that it isn't working for them. Do you either 1 - believe that they are lying, or 2 - think they need to change something in their plan?

Because yeah, I've known of people try eating omgless and exercise and it not work. Sometimes they aren't eating enough (slowed down their metabolism... and the exercise wasn't hard enough to speed it back up, didn't eat any metabolism highering foods), and sometimes they have a thyroid problem where they aren't supposed to eat as much as normal people - (2k calories a day) and still stay a good weight.. and they don't realize they aren't "not eating" enough. (Does thyroid medication help with that so they can enjoy eating as much as a normal person?)

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

codelette wrote:For such an anti-patriarchal warrior, Melody Hensley seems pretty enthralled with the institution of marriage...
Indeed. In fact, she and Si created a whole website dedicated to their wedding photos: http://www.melodyandsimon.com/

No wonder Simon always looks a smug as the goose that laid a golden ego.

codelette

Post by codelette »

I thought Yoga was for pussies, then I started doing Yoga...fuck Yoga's a bitch. I sweat more doing Yoga than doing Kenpo.

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

Eucliwood wrote:
Lsuoma can you run a poll? Like, with things like "Supports/Praises AVfM" "Comments on it (does not praise it, just like commenting on FtB isn't the same as supporting)" "Does not comment on AVfM"

So I have something to link to that guy? Cos he's acting like "many" here support or praise AVfM. Idk much about it but to his readers they're asshole misogynists, so I would not like this forum to be tied with AVfM, as if we're just a bunch of AVfM-ers at some place new called SlymePit.

Please. Please. Please.
It might be fun yes but it won't do any good at all. These people are suffering from the Association fallacy big time. Some people on here are MRAs therefore all people here are MRAs, just like Hitler, Stalin and Pol Pot were atheists therefore evil.

Read Bluharmony's article http://skepticink.com/skepticallyleft/2 ... ean-kazez/

Mr Danksworth

Post by Mr Danksworth »

So, I just discovered that revealing the facts surrounding Amy and TAM make me guilty of harassment.

comslave

Post by comslave »

codelette wrote:I never understood how was it that the Patriarchy shames women into becoming Skeletors. My perception is that heterosexual men tend to prefer women with meat on top of their bones. To be crass: tits and ass is what they want.
The women in Playboy have always been a little heavier than the women on the cover of Cosmo. However, men get blamed for how the women on the cover of Cosmo look...a magazine men fucking never buy.

Men like boobs+you need to have body fat to produce boobs=men aren't making skeletors. It's the fucking fashion industry+women who buy these shitmags.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Lsuoma wrote:
Mykeru wrote: 3. Don't be Renee. This is probably the most important.
You guys fucking love me...you really love me!

[youtube]3TKK6d3-h2U[/youtube]

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Lsuoma wrote:I'm with Mykeru. THis thanks stuff is unwieldy, as ugly as fuck, and about as useless as a marzipan dildo.

It's difficult to tell before actually seeing it in action.

I'm going to disable it now, then back it out later.

I'll see if I can get a simple tag/bookmark/up-vote this post thing, so we can see highly-rated posts for later.
Yay! Although I must say that the marzipan dildo, while not being very useful as a dildo, WOULD be useful as marzipan, to eat or use in a recipe.
:mrgreen:

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Rawrsome wrote:Fuck off the fucking thank you fucking thing its cunting the fuck out of shit.

Holy shit, she convinced attention whoring bloggers to turn up somewhere based nothing but the promise of attention and money.

Although Simon Davies history of women in secularism timeline is rather pathetic, I wonder if the way it is set up using TIKTOK might, in fact be ideal for the slymepit to show the ongoing activities of the baboons.

Something like this would be a great complement to Phawrongula and would allow each successive lie or manufactured drama to be entered in real time.

There is a free account setting (I guess that's what Davies used).
http://i.imgur.com/Qnl90.jpg

Eucliwood

Post by Eucliwood »

Dilurk wrote:
It might be fun yes but it won't do any good at all. These people are suffering from the Association fallacy big time. Some people on here are MRAs therefore all people here are MRAs, just like Hitler, Stalin and Pol Pot were atheists therefore evil.

Read Bluharmony's article http://skepticink.com/skepticallyleft/2 ... ean-kazez/
I'll take what I can get. If I can make it so that he cannot comfortably act like the majority of us are in the men's rights movement or something, I'll take that. Yes, he may even try saying "oh, and dude, a few of them are MRAs!" and still act as if we are all associated by that fact, fine, but he may at least look dumb or tryingtoohard to other readers.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

From the comments near the (current) end of PZ's "I think youtube culture..." thread:
211 nightshadequeen
4 January 2013 at 10:07 am (UTC -6)
@anne mariehovgaard
How is “being a woman” different from “not being a woman”, in your view? [if you say there's no difference,] why insist on using the words?
To me, being a woman/not being a woman is something someone decides, conciously or not, to be or not to be.

Ditto for being a man/not being a man.

Now, what “being a woman” means…well, I’d argue that it’s different for each woman. Yeah, that probably makes the word completely empty, but how do you define it? It’s like…if there’s a group of people who’re claiming to be “women” but I think they have an attribute A that makes them “not-women”, do I get to impose my terminology on them?

Then again, if someone told me that they were an atheist who believed in Yahweh, I’d feel like I could rightly call them rather confused.

Then again, I feel like the term “atheist” is less socially engraved than “woman” or “man”.

tl;dr Being a man/not being a man/being a woman/not being a woman, to me, feels like a) a personal choice that’s b) hellishly hard to define without being exclusive of someone or another, and c) it’s easier to just accept people’s claims on face value.
212 anne mariehovgaard
4 January 2013 at 10:33 am (UTC -6)

nightshadequeen: seems to me that makes the words man/woman completely worthless for communication. Why would anyone want to keep using a word they have emptied of all meaning?
214 nightshadequeen
4 January 2013 at 10:51 am (UTC -6) Link to this comment

a) they’re historical terms that b) people still care about and c) use as part of their identity.
215 nightshadequeen
4 January 2013 at 11:10 am (UTC -6)

Also, IMO, not defining them is the best I can do at defining them.
"Adult human female" and "adult human male" are out the window as definitions of "woman" and "man", folks. Although somehow judging someone's self-definition of "atheist" is still okay.

In other news, "up" is whatever direction you feel like making it. (Unless someone else is offended by what you're about to say, in which case....?? The instruction manual is still being written.)

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

comslave wrote:
codelette wrote:I never understood how was it that the Patriarchy shames women into becoming Skeletors. My perception is that heterosexual men tend to prefer women with meat on top of their bones. To be crass: tits and ass is what they want.
The women in Playboy have always been a little heavier than the women on the cover of Cosmo. However, men get blamed for how the women on the cover of Cosmo look...a magazine men fucking never buy.

Men like boobs+you need to have body fat to produce boobs=men aren't making skeletors. It's the fucking fashion industry+women who buy these shitmags.
It's not patriarchy. Its 'how can corporations make money by making women feel insecure about their bodies'.

And now corporations are working that magic on *men*. Making people feel insecure about their looks and then offering the 'remedy'.

I visit this one site, skinnyvscurvy.com (yeah, Im into fashion, I bet the FTBers think that makes me an MRA) and the women are *worse* than many men when it comes to judging female bodies. They all fucking HATE HATE HATE Kate Upton, b/c she is a 'worthless twit with big boobs', yet they love the women who have body types just like them. Men are not all that picky. It's the women who treat one another like shit, b/c of all their stupid insecurities.

welch

Post by welch »

I love simon. I love him so much:
Simon@ 67:

Oh you are quite the drama lover.
Welch also said here: http://www.michaelnugent.com/2013/01/04 ... ent-173687
The way they are going, it is most definitely a “when” case, not an “if”.
I think that shows fairly clearly what his intentions are.
Nonsense. It shows that unlike you, i live in the real world, and understand how people react to such things. I expect that if I take an action against a person, that person will take at least a similar action against me. It's why I don't flag videos on YouTube just because they make me feel sad. If I dislike a YT video, I *don't watch the whole thing*. If I find there's someone who regularly makes videos I dislike, I *don't follow their channel and watch everything they post, even if they say mean things about me*. It's really simple, you should try it.

I think shutting down the FTB/CFI/Skepchick channels, while a net plus in terms of overall YT IQ and emotional maturity levels, would be a shame. Where else can I see such rich silliness? The three stooges are dead, one must find such things where one can.

However, should you wish to take down my channel with all 4 videos on it, by all means, be my guess: http://www.youtube.com/feed/UCZv3AYlSWoSRCV4a3ITRLqQ/u Have a party sport, show me your crusader spirit.
See, the thing is, if neither of these things had happened, then there wouldn’t be any retaliation (or the possibility of a retaliation). Do you understand, Simon? Do you understand cause and effect?
What you are telling me is that if someone who has a reasonable belief that your friend’s video violates Youtube’s TOS and decides to flag and asks their friends to do the same (cause) you and your friends will retaliate in an unspecified manner (effect).
Funny how your beliefs are reasonable, and the beliefs of those who disagree with you are bad. It's almost like some other groups I've heard of, kind of the ones you oppose. I also love how you pump this up to be an eeeeevil OMGWTFBBQ THREAT. I am sure we'll be seeing many posts from you and yours about how I and others "threatened" to falsely flag your youtube channels, and see, look at all the evil you fight against.
Quit. While she’s “ahead.”
Or else, what? What other plans do you have in store for Melody that would cause her to no longer be “ahead”?
You want this so bad. You actually want people to do these things so badly that you're practically daring people to do them. Why Simon? Why are you that hungry to escalate? That's a far more interesting question at this point.

What noel and I are talking about is simple human behavior. If you start flagging the accounts and videos of everyone saying things you don't like, then it is *entirely* reasonable to expect those people to retaliate. If that bothers you, maybe reconsider your actions. Were I to explain it to a small child, and at this point, I'm unsure I'm not, the saying I'd use is:

"Don't dish it out if you can't take it."

Really, it applies.

comslave

Post by comslave »

Eucliwood wrote:
comslave wrote:

You never addressed the fact that they claim that it isn't working for them. Do you either 1 - believe that they are lying, or 2 - think they need to change something in their plan?

Because yeah, I've known of people try eating omgless and exercise and it not work. Sometimes they aren't eating enough (slowed down their metabolism... and the exercise wasn't hard enough to speed it back up, didn't eat any metabolism highering foods), and sometimes they have a thyroid problem where they aren't supposed to eat as much as normal people - (2k calories a day) and still stay a good weight.. and they don't realize they aren't "not eating" enough. (Does thyroid medication help with that so they can enjoy eating as much as a normal person?)

I'll take "lying their ass off". I have a cousin who claims to be doing Weight Watchers. She's supposed to watch what she eats, and yet at every gathering I've seen her at, she's on top of the cake and ice cream like she was trying to make babies with it.

TheMan

Post by TheMan »

comslave wrote:
franc wrote:

[spoiler]http://i.imgur.com/NqUmQ.jpg[/spoiler]
You've just ruined sex forever.
Not really...there's a certain sexyness in the logistical struggle depicted.

Rawrsome

Post by Rawrsome »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Rawrsome wrote:Fuck off the fucking thank you fucking thing its cunting the fuck out of shit.

Although Simon Davies history of women in secularism timeline is rather pathetic, I wonder if the way it is set up using TIKTOK might, in fact be ideal for the slymepit to show the ongoing activities of the baboons.

Something like this would be a great complement to Phawrongula and would allow each successive lie or manufactured drama to be entered in real time.

There is a free account setting (I guess that's what Davies used).
http://i.imgur.com/Qnl90.jpg

Do want.

comslave

Post by comslave »

ReneeHendricks wrote:DAMN IT! I screwed up the spoiler. Sigh. I didn't do exactly what I thought of when it was screwing up before - preview. Yeah. Going to shut the fuck up now for a bit and just caffeinate.

Never try to code until you have had at least two cups of coffee.

welch

Post by welch »

LOL

Nugent is now moderating comments. At least mine.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

mikelf unplugged wrote: Peezus Christ, this chaps my ass. How long ago was it that Greta was passing the hat because of economic concerns related to her cancer surgery? Now she is talking about buying $259 shoes? You know, I don't expect people to live as ascetics. I really don't have a problem with people spending their own damn money any way they choose. But, show a little discretion, for fuck's sake. After panhandling (presumably) to pay your mortgage, it shows a fair amount of disrespect for the contributors (many of whom live a far less privileged life than reGreta) to brag about the fancy shoes you just bought.

Fucking grifter.
Chapped my ass too. Fluevogs are fucking expensive luxury shoes. My friends took me to a natural fibers yarn* store in San Francisco (sorry, sacha, that was the only time I was in SF proper on my last visit, and it was the afternoon of the day I flew in), and we noticed a big Fluevog shop nearby. I don't think any one pair of shoes on display was less than $200; most were more than $250. Sounded to me as if Greta owns more than just the new pair.

* Yeah, I like yarn, fiber, and fabric, but I make a lot of my own clothes and accessories. For example yesterday, when it was cold (for here), I wore five different hand-knitted (by me) items: hat, mitts, scarf, coat, and socks. Making one's own clothing, whether by knitting, sewing, crocheting, weaving, whatever, was apparently not a topic that Greta and her commentariat wanted to discuss either. I did bring it up, more than once.

Also, I have a good job and healthcare coverage, and I'm not begging for donations for my yarn and fiber habit on the internet.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Apropos of completely nothing, the chick (yeah, I said it) I mentioned yesterday doubled her fundraising goal - $100K in less than 24 hours. The power of social media never ceases to amaze me. Hannah Hart better come to my freakin' end of the woods now! I think it'd be excellent to have a "My Drunk Kitchen" in my home (as opposed to other regular days).

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

comslave wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:DAMN IT! I screwed up the spoiler. Sigh. I didn't do exactly what I thought of when it was screwing up before - preview. Yeah. Going to shut the fuck up now for a bit and just caffeinate.

Never try to code until you have had at least two cups of coffee.
Yeah, I violated my own personal webdev rules. This is why I don't work till much later in the day.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

I wish I had the haxxor skills to get into Melody's wedding photos website, so I could leave this at the end:

http://www.sogoodblog.com/wp-content/up ... im-jim.jpg

welch

Post by welch »

comslave wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:
codelette wrote:and this is from a site that takes pride on being the forefront of science and skepticism. Shit that Marilove says...

lol
I think Marilove is expecting somebody to some to her house and do the work for her.

barring actual metabolic issues, i.e. hypothyroidism, etc., that is definitely how it works. From what i've read, that's about all that matters. The other bits, carbs/fat/protein deal more with overall health, not losing weight.

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

Suddenly, Hensleys super bitch comments towards Mayhew make perfect sense:
http://www.melodyandsimon.com/0414303-R01-005-1.jpg
http://c0014314.r32.cf1.rackcdn.com/x2_c84904e

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Eucliwood wrote:

Please. Please. Please.
This forum is welcome to MRAs and feminists alike. If you compare the worst thing you can find from among some fringe commentors at AVfM, with the serious intent of gendercide, sex slavery (of men for breeding purposes), and forced sexual mutilation plans of radical feminist separatists***, you'll see that the feminist extreme is far worse and more serious in their intent than anything you can find on AVfM.

***Hi Krista, sweetie! (she's the stealer of my coined word 'femtheist', who added an 'i', and calls herself 'femitheist' and who reads the Pit). Yeah, yeah, I know your sock account threatened to kill me if I mention you again on the SlimePit, but I know you really secretly want me to. So, merry xmas! This post is for you, you wacky castrator, you!

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Waterkant wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:Who the hell is Simon on Michael Nugent's blog? Simon Singh? That's ... Hensley's husband, right?

I guess he Singhs to her tune, the goose-stepping harpy. *ducks*
Simon Singh is an incredibly decent person. No relationship there at all.
I actually didn't know, but I'm glad it wasn't Singh.

welch

Post by welch »

Tigzy wrote:
codelette wrote:For such an anti-patriarchal warrior, Melody Hensley seems pretty enthralled with the institution of marriage...
Indeed. In fact, she and Si created a whole website dedicated to their wedding photos: http://www.melodyandsimon.com/

No wonder Simon always looks a smug as the goose that laid a golden ego.
OMG, it's the official meeting of the Overly Narcissistic Rich Useless Tit Society.

JackRayner
Location: In the basement of the University of Minnesota Morris

Post by JackRayner »

Gefan wrote:
I think you need to substitute "fashion industry" for "patriarchy" (being as only one of those things actually exist, and all) and then ask yourself how many straight men work there.
It's baffling to me how straight men got the blame pie-in-the-face for an industry that seems to be run more or less exclusively by women and gay men.
No shit, right?

An only slightly overweight friend of mine with a nice set of hips would endlessly bitch about wanting to "chop them off" any time she'd see a picture of so-and-so model. I tried explaining that gay men don't like things with hips a few times, but she never quite got it...

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

justinvacula wrote:New video I uploaded which was inspired, I think, by Michael Nugent's recent blog post:

"Atheism plus forum member meets fundamentalist preacher"

youtube = oWMdKaxrkJw
Hahaha. Well done. Great job pairing up the statements.

papillon

Post by papillon »

Tigzy wrote: Indeed. In fact, she and Si created a whole website dedicated to their wedding photos: http://www.melodyandsimon.com/
Would this be an unfair comparison?
We've had Kabuki after all
[spoiler]http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu11 ... 18dbcd.jpg[/spoiler]
[spoiler]http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu11 ... b548fa.jpg[/spoiler]

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

welch wrote:
comslave wrote:[spoiler]
Tony Parsehole wrote:

lol

[/spoiler]

barring actual metabolic issues, i.e. hypothyroidism, etc., that is definitely how it works. From what i've read, that's about all that matters. The other bits, carbs/fat/protein deal more with overall health, not losing weight.
I've always wondered about this - the basal metabolic minimum thing, that is. I'm still very convinced that having my tachycardia "fixed" and the insertion of a pacemaker has forever fucked up my metabolism. I used to have a very high rate; at least a metabolic rate that was consistent with eating fairly healthy and doing at least 30 minutes of exercise daily. Since all that crap, I have to eat like a fucking bird most days (unless I do a minimum an hour of walking/treadmill/recumbent cycling in addition to a bit of strength exercises).

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

another lurker wrote:I need to take up yoga, I hear its good for sciatica. Which is a result of my having scoliosis. (fuck carrying heavy books on my right hip all those years, grr)
Consider a doctor instead. And by doctor, I don't mean fake ones like chiropractors or yoga swamis. And if a real doctor recommends exercise, find something that is not yoga. Don't just gullibly believe wild health claims.

welch

Post by welch »

comslave wrote:
Eucliwood wrote:
comslave wrote:

I'll take "lying their ass off". I have a cousin who claims to be doing Weight Watchers. She's supposed to watch what she eats, and yet at every gathering I've seen her at, she's on top of the cake and ice cream like she was trying to make babies with it.
People, by and large, are unwilling to admit their own parts in their health, or lack thereof.

I've a friend who runs a boot camp style program, now in Cali, used to be in Mass. We were talking once about being in shape, and I said "Well, I KNOW why I'm out of shape", and she got this smile like "Oh here we go" and asked "Okay, why?"

"Because I'm fucking lazy. I eat more than I should, I tend to eat crap, and I don't exercise enough. When I pay attention to such things and manage them appropriately, I'm not out of shape."

She just starts laughing and says "That may be the first time I've ever gotten an honest admission of guilt for that."

I said "Well, there ARE cases where there's something wrong with things like the thyroid and such, but for the most part, it's being "unable" to get through the day without a big fucking slice of cake. Losing weight isn't complicated, it just takes more work than people want to do."

So yeah. I go with lying. Usually to themselves.

codelette

Post by codelette »

I wouldn't say that most people are lying. A lot of them have skewed perceptions and whole lot are just ignorant.
2,000 calories is not a catch-all amount of calories that "normal people" should eat. Most women doing moderate exercise will gain at that amount. Caloric intake can be measured from pretty basic online calculators, do some trial tests and tweek from there. My calculations say 1600+ to mantain. And I'm a normal person.
Medical advice also go against doing below 1,200 calories a day. You are supposed to add to that amount based on personal needs (height, if lactating, if working hard, etc).

welch

Post by welch »

ERV wrote:Suddenly, Hensleys super bitch comments towards Mayhew make perfect sense:
http://www.melodyandsimon.com/0414303-R01-005-1.jpg
http://c0014314.r32.cf1.rackcdn.com/x2_c84904e
were I an asshole, wait, I AM an asshole...

Melody kinda porked up after the wedding I see. Maybe she needs to spend less time on her wardrobe/crying on the internet and to get up off her ass and maybe walk somewhere.

Eucliwood

Post by Eucliwood »

[quote="Scented Nectar"
This forum is welcome to MRAs and feminists alike. If you compare the worst thing you can find from among some fringe commentors at AVfM, with the serious intent of gendercide, sex slavery (of men for breeding purposes), and forced sexual mutilation plans of radical feminist separatists***, you'll see that the feminist extreme is far worse and more serious in their intent than anything you can find on AVfM.

***Hi Krista, sweetie! (she's the stealer of my coined word 'femtheist', who added an 'i', and calls herself 'femitheist' and who reads the Pit). Yeah, yeah, I know your sock account threatened to kill me if I mention you again on the SlimePit, but I know you really secretly want me to. So, merry xmas! This post is for you, you wacky castrator, you![/quote]

I love how they don't mention that there are feminists here.

welch

Post by welch »

JackRayner wrote:
Gefan wrote:
I think you need to substitute "fashion industry" for "patriarchy" (being as only one of those things actually exist, and all) and then ask yourself how many straight men work there.
It's baffling to me how straight men got the blame pie-in-the-face for an industry that seems to be run more or less exclusively by women and gay men.
No shit, right?

An only slightly overweight friend of mine with a nice set of hips would endlessly bitch about wanting to "chop them off" any time she'd see a picture of so-and-so model. I tried explaining that gay men don't like things with hips a few times, but she never quite got it...
that and fashion models are coathangers that move about on command. They're there to show off the clothes, not themselves. Hence, skinny is good.

Eucliwood

Post by Eucliwood »

Oh my god, how did that happen?! I didn't touch that part of my paragraph. I am so embarrassed. Come to think of it, I am freezing cold because I haven't eaten yet. Rumblies in my tummy too.... Frailness settling in... better go eat.

welch

Post by welch »

Oh, for the SF crowd:

I'll be in SF from 29 Jan to 3 Feb. It's Macworld/Mac IT, so I'll be somewhat busy, but lunch, etc. could be doable. Also, if anyone has any interest in attending and would like me to see about a pass for them, let me know.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

welch wrote: were I an asshole, wait, I AM an asshole...

Melody kinda porked up after the wedding I see. Maybe she needs to spend less time on her wardrobe/crying on the internet and to get up off her ass and maybe walk somewhere.
I have to admit, Melody did make a very pretty bride. Whereas Simon only ever looks like a dweeb who knows he got lucky. Which leads me to suspect that Simon may be a feeder. With a bit of luck, this time next year she'll be imprisoned in a toilet with lots of bacon and cakes for company.