Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads
franc

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by franc »

rocko2466 wrote:
EdgePenguin wrote:
Jonathan wrote:Michael Nugent has retracted his article about the "bullying" of Melody Hensley
[...]
Regardless of your views on MN's recent articles, he deserves credit for admitting he made a mistake publically and retracting what he said.
That is a very rare thing to be seen in the pearl-clutchers trench. Kudos to Michael Nugent.
Holy crap. Do I win a prize?
Yes -

:goatsebun:

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

franc wrote:
Mykeru wrote:
LMU wrote:
Gumby wrote:Lsuoma, my vote: No karma thingy.
I vote against such things too, but will try to make best use of them if they are present. I don't like the popularity contest aspect, but if it makes it easier for people to find critical posts from the history of the thread, then I can see some value.
I fucking hate the ratings thingie. It's distracting, and needless. I can see some forums operating on popularity contests, but not this one. In fact, that we can't fuck with it like the "spoiler" feature makes it useless.

Now, if the text could be customized so that it could read "Mykeru thanks Lsouma for pulling his head out", that would be something. As is, it's just tits on a bull.
More or less what Mykeru said. It would be nice to have important posts tagged in an easy to find manner, for newcomers to sift through.
Now, the ability to tag posts for later reference, that would be something very useful.

Especially as we need to organize material for the excessively discussed Phase II ground operation that we have done an admirable job of concealing from Peezy and Opie.

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

That's a pretty good prize lol

While it's small fish, Wachs has accused me of attacking her on twitter in the same comment thread. I'm not sure why it was important to that issue, but nonetheless I posted:

Thanks Michael. I appreciate the honesty and was glad to reason it through. This kind of openness in a comment area is useful for that.

As for Ms Wachs’ comments about my tweet (which she linked to) I think my tweet speaks for itself; it was a reaction to a video in jest (not sent to Ms Wachs or associated with her twitter handle) and I don’t think I have directed any ‘attacks’ at Ms Wachs. In any event, my twitter feed speaks for itself (as does my blog in which I have addressed harassment in the skeptic community: unsolicitedcomment.wordpress.com). I invite Ms Wachs to read that, as it may assist her if she considers that tweet to be an attack.

This was the tweet:

On EBW's reasoning, I am excluded from being considered reasonable on any issue if I post tweets which I consider to be humorous. Ah, such is life.

Spence

Post by Spence »

Good job on the nugent affair, folks, and some kudos to Nugent himself for allowing the scales to fall from his eyes.

I'm generally against the karma thing like the others, but one option would be to give out wanks rather than thanks. "Has wanked", "Been wanked", has a ring to it. (And I'm not talking about goatse this time)

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

There's an interesting discussion developing on MN's thread about the merits of flagging on Youtube.

somedumbguy

Post by somedumbguy »

Scented Nectar wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:
AbsurdWalls wrote: I could see Karma working as a way of flagging particularly good posts that might then be stuck somewhere else. Like little nuggets of gold panned out of the slime.
Karma would be for posters, not posts. So Abbie, franc, SN, welch, etc., would have their karma at or close to zero, while colon and some of our other favourites would be up in the stratosphere.

Up-voting posts might be helpful though, especially if one could search by rating.
Yuck, I hate when there's named 'thanking' or 'karma' or that sort of shit. Some people fall into the patterns of trading them with others (if thanked they try to thank back), and people who just don't often do upvoting end up looking like grouches who don't appreciate people.

I really don't like this whole thanking/karma thing. Also, it sounds so new age religious mixed with a tone thing of nice people say thank you. Did you say thank you? Let's see, how many times. Oh what a good little forum citizen. BLAARRGHHH

I'm not going to participate in it. Everyone consider yourselves thanked in advance and just picture your numbers plus one, if you like. It seems like a lot of extra work to decide which posts are 'thumbworthy' good compared to ordinary good. I'm not even going to bother trying.

Thanking. Can it at least be changed to 'thumbs up' or 'rating' or something less goody-two-shoes sounding? I'm too old for the expression "what do you say?....." "please and thank you" *head gets patted*

Ask me about what I told the bus driver who tried to withhold giving me a transfer with a "what do you say?"
For each thread, FARK has unnamed "Funny" and "Smart", and you have to explicitly ask to see what is funny or smart in that thread. And they are counted, so there can be a smartest or funniest.

I admit, I like to see my comments ranked funny or smart.

Now at tech forums, like XDA, I also like named thanks, but unnamed thanks would work as well.

Here it might suffice if each post had a mere star, or a count of "starred-ness", because it is nice on this huge Internet, to see that someone recognizes you're alive and even appreciated what you wrote.

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

Big, long, thick, throbbing, catch up post:
codelette wrote:My research was being raised into poverty and eating healthy, cunt.
Rice, beans, corn. Canned veggies. Eggs. Powdered milk. Organ meat. That's all healthy food. That's what I ate. You think the mexican laborers that go the grocery store down the street are wealthy?
Shut the fuck up.
You're clearly insensitive to the needs of people who can't read nutrition labels, because they're so obese that their face fat is starting to roll over their eyes.
rayshul wrote:Health food is generally cheap, unless you live on a fucking island. Then YMMV. Unless you're hardcore organic. It costs my family less when we're eating healthy than when we're not.

I've always thought the reason poverty often comes with eating shittily is because of lack of time-resources rather than cost, as far as I'd figure. It costs time to prepare fresh food that you don't have to think about when you're heating up something in a microwave.
This is sometimes true, but I don't think the time problem is that big of a deal. Once you get the hang of it, cooking a simple meal takes no more than 15-20 minutes most of the time, and some foods are just really easy. Baked potato? Throw it in the oven and set the timer, then forget about it until it's done. Banana? Peel it. Veggies? Throw them in some boiling water for a few minutes. It's also pretty easy to cook lots of food at once when you have the time, spending only a few more minutes than you would cooking a single meal, then throw leftovers in the fridge.

Here's an alternate hypothesis: If one is poor, delicious fatty/salty/sugary foods might be one of the few pleasures in life, and thus it will be a lot harder to resist cravings for such foods if one is used to such a diet.
HoneyWagon wrote: And this does not apply to most people here, but people that are homeless, living in cars or weekly hotels generally have no way to store foods that need refrigeration, so they are more likely to buy food that doesn't need this, like processed foods and fast foods.
Yeah, there are some people that genuinely have problems eating healthy. But I bet none of them act like marilove :lol:
codelette wrote:and this is from a site that takes pride on being the forefront of science and skepticism. Shit that Marilove says...
*picture snipped*
Ironically, getting pissed off all the time is probably burning a few calories for her.
Setarrrd wrote:Hyper-skepticism...-sigh-. so. Cops. What the fuck are we going to do about them? Moreover, how do we deal with people who keep fucking defending them and giving them privilege?
Those evil coppers need to stop fucking with his right to wave around boxcutters!

Whoops, looks like Mykeru already mentioned this. But I already typed it, so it stays.
welch wrote:The problem with "healthy" food has two parts: longevity and stretchability. In general, healthy, or healthier food doesn't last long. It spoils somewhat quickly. So unless you have a large freezer, or similar storage, you can't bank up. Given the size of the living quarters po' folks have, food space is at a premium. The other is how many meals you can get out of that money. Shit like generic cheesy Mac and rice can easily cover multiple meals on the cheap. Shitty meat in a tube the same way. That pound of lean beef, not so much.

When space is at a premium, and you get maybe two shopping days a month, your start buying the stuff that lasts, and can cover multiple meals better. That biases you away from certain things.
There's always brown rice, and canned beans/veggies (with low sodium options available nowadays). It's not ideal, but it's enough to avoid being marilove.

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

I just have to link to this, cause the whole thing is so bizarre:

http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3483

Three trigger warnings in one post, with the first being a MASSIVE TRIGGER WARNING for omg everything!. Followed by tons of links, research project style.

And then some poor fool comes in with a reasonable point: that this isn't a rape culture issue specifically, because people tend to defend the rich and famous regardless of the nature of their crimes. Lo and behold, he's banned for "minimising the effects of rape culture". Because as we all know, there's nothing anyone can ever do that's worse than rape.

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

codelette wrote:Is Mike Nugent part of CFI?
I think he's Ted's even dumber brother.

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

Darren wrote:
TheMan wrote:[spoiler]you funny Cunt....[/spoiler]
In honour of me being completely off my face, to a degree I can't remember since I was 16, for the next two hours this forum will consist of nothing but the word "cunt" repeated over and over.

Cunt.

Also, I'm not entirely certain, but I'm prettt sure my dog is drunk by association.

Holy fuck, I am wasted.

Cunt.
Becky?
Is that you?

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

Metalogic42 wrote:I just have to link to this, cause the whole thing is so bizarre:

Three trigger warnings in one post, with the first being a MASSIVE TRIGGER WARNING for omg everything!. Followed by tons of links, research project style.

And then some poor fool comes in with a reasonable point: that this isn't a rape culture issue specifically, because people tend to defend the rich and famous regardless of the nature of their crimes. Lo and behold, he's banned for "minimising the effects of rape culture". Because as we all know, there's nothing anyone can ever do that's worse than rape.
I saw that as well. What makes it all the more bizarre is that he wasn't actually minimising it, just saying that he didn't think it was to blame in this case. But in the mod's eyes "rape culture" is so self-evidently a fact that any dissent about it is equivalent to minimising it.

That particular poster, kbonn, gets a lot of trouble from the mods over there. Surprised he hasn't quit yet.

Altair

Post by Altair »

13 hours ago, PZ retweeted Nugent's tweet that said "Publisher of video flagged for bullying admits Melody Hensley has been harassed and bullied"

I wonder if he'll also retweet Michael's retraction and apologies

[spoiler]http://bit.ly/VIp8GO[/spoiler]

somedumbguy

Post by somedumbguy »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
codelette wrote:and this is from a site that takes pride on being the forefront of science and skepticism. Shit that Marilove says...
http://i.imgur.com/chcGq.png

lol
Physics/biology/chemistry= fat shaming.
I think Marilove is expecting somebody to some to her house and do the work for her.

"But I ated only three radishes orl off today and I iz still teh fat!"
So Marilove certainly has a lot of problems. Ignore Marilove.

It's not actually all that clear to scientists and MDs that eating less calories "than you need" will cause you to lose weight, or, that eating more calories "than you need" will cause you to gain weight.

Sounds really stupid, right?

My non-scientist take:

There is calorie, a unit of heat, and calorie, a unit of food energy, measured by the Atwater System: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_energy

If you look at the Atwater System, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atwater_system (and I haven't looked closely at it for months), a lot of it is empirical and depends on
Apparent digestibility coefficients

Atwater measured a large number of digestibility coefficients for simple mixtures, and in substitution experiments derived values for individual foods. These he combined in a weighted fashion to derive values for mixed diets. When these were tested experimentally with mixed diets they did not give a good prediction, and Atwater adjusted the coefficients for mixed diets.
So first, let's assign all proteins digested under any circumstance the same coefficient. And let's determine that coefficient, by, uh, a lot of handwaving.

So not only could these coefficients be wrong, but the assumption that all proteins have the same coefficient is probably also wrong, as well as the assumption that the same protein, digested under any circumstance will have the same coefficient.

And same for carbs and fats.

Another problem in "eat fewer calories than you need" is the determination of "than you need". I have gone through calorie counting regimes and though charts would say I should eat 1800 - 2200 calories a day, I know there have been weeks that I have eaten 1000 - 1200 calories with no weight loss. My body (our bodies) seems to have evolved to maintain homeostasis.

So now, the various low carb advocates, MDs and scientists seem to believe that:

a) Eat fewer calories, homeostasis and other factors may keep your weight the same
b) Eat more calories "than you need", fats and proteins and no carbs, and you will lose weight.

There are plenty of scientific arguments available via Google taking on the question of whether this could violate Thermodynamics.

My take is A) it clearly cannot violate Thermodynamics, and B) the "out" is that the simplistic thermodynamics calculations conflates a calorie, unit of heat, with a calorie, hand waved empirically derived food energy unit. The various scientists and MDs I read would also discuss that the context of the biochemical pathways invoked during digestion differ from protein to protein as well as differ depending on the context of the body they are being digested within. (Ketosis or not ketosis.)

For actual science, more than my bullshit, feel free to visit http://nusi.org/ Nutrition Science Initiative, or the various blogs of Peter Attia, Michael Eades, or Gary Taubes.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Who the hell is Simon on Michael Nugent's blog? Simon Singh? That's ... Hensley's husband, right?

I guess he Singhs to her tune, the goose-stepping harpy. *ducks*

somedumbguy

Post by somedumbguy »

Jonathan wrote:
Metalogic42 wrote:I just have to link to this, cause the whole thing is so bizarre:

Code: Select all

I saw that as well. What makes it all the more bizarre is that he wasn't actually minimising it, just saying that he didn't think it was to blame in this case. But in the mod's eyes "rape culture" is so self-evidently a fact that any dissent about it is equivalent to minimising it.
[/b]

That particular poster, kbonn, gets a lot of trouble from the mods over there. Surprised he hasn't quit yet.
I've long wondered:

In a gender studies course, in a gender studies journal, is it the case that papers or research is done to explore the question: Does patriarchy effect X? How does patriarchy effect X?

How many times have students or researchers written or published papers that conclude: I tried to determine if patriarchy affected X, but the conclusion of the research is that patriarchy does not effect X.

I don't know. Maybe gender studies journals have plenty of these papers. Maybe in classes it's widely discussed that patriarchy doesn't affect every fucking thing. But that's not the impression I get, and it's one reason I believe patriarchy is an invisible sky demon.

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

codelette wrote:I never understood how was it that the Patriarchy shames women into becoming Skeletors. My perception is that heterosexual men tend to prefer women with meat on top of their bones. To be crass: tits and ass is what they want.
I think you need to substitute "fashion industry" for "patriarchy" (being as only one of those things actually exist, and all) and then ask yourself how many straight men work there.
It's baffling to me how straight men got the blame pie-in-the-face for an industry that seems to be run more or less exclusively by women and gay men.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Altair wrote:13 hours ago, PZ retweeted Nugent's tweet that said "Publisher of video flagged for bullying admits Melody Hensley has been harassed and bullied"

I wonder if he'll also retweet Michael's retraction and apologies

[spoiler]http://bit.ly/VIp8GO[/spoiler]
You know, we should have ERV's imput on this as we are about to do some real-time virology. Well, epidemiology. Or something. Well, at least we can get Arnie in on this.

Where was I? Oh yeah,

That Nugent created this little nugget of corn-fed cow-shit and later kinda sorta retracted it is interesting, but what's going to be more interesting is how all the repeaters in the echo chamber will fail to retract it themselves. Then said nugget will be repeated by the clueless minions until it becomes a staple of the dumbfuck A+ catechism.

With other pieces of bullshit, like "upskirt guy" it could only be examined on an ad hoc basis. However, it's still being repeated as an instance of bona fide sexual harassment. Some clueless newb here even did so a couple of days ago, much to the delight of Sacha, who has yet to send me schoolgirl outfit confirmation although, to be fair, I'm a slacker when it comes to checking my mail.

In this case, we can watch the dissemination of bullshit through the intestines of the APLUS/FTB/SCK hydra-headed beast as it happens.

It's kind of exciting, really.

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

somedumbguy wrote:
Jonathan wrote:

Code: Select all

[/b]

I've long wondered:

In a gender studies course, in a gender studies journal, is it the case that papers or research is done to explore the question: Does patriarchy effect X? How does patriarchy effect X?

How many times have students or researchers written or published papers that conclude: I tried to determine if patriarchy affected X, but the conclusion of the research is that patriarchy does not effect X.

I don't know. Maybe gender studies journals have plenty of these papers. Maybe in classes it's widely discussed that patriarchy doesn't affect every fucking thing. But that's not the impression I get, and it's one reason I believe patriarchy is an invisible sky demon.
I did women's studies. The conclusion was always that it was the patriarchy. Anything bad that would happen was because of the patriarchy.

The most surreal experience was sitting in a lecture where students put up their hands and gave stories about events in their lives (some were admittedly about sexism, but largely not nearly enough information was given) and the lecturer explained why each one was patriarchy. The best was 'my parents have always preferred my little brother' (this was literally the only information given) and the lecturer said it was a perfect example of patriarchy and systemic discrimination against and to the disadvantage of women. Oh, and a similar one was 'when I go into a mechanic's / garage with my dad, they always talk to my dad first'.

Patriarchy.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Mykeru What you mean there wasn't a masked man sneaking around TAM raping skirt wearing skepbabes with a dildo mounted modified camera pole? Fuck, guess i'm going to have to check my sources, but i swear that's what it said on ftb!

Eucliwood

Post by Eucliwood »

rocko2466 wrote:
I did women's studies. The conclusion was always that it was the patriarchy. Anything bad that would happen was because of the patriarchy.

The most surreal experience was sitting in a lecture where students put up their hands and gave stories about events in their lives (some were admittedly about sexism, but largely not nearly enough information was given) and the lecturer explained why each one was patriarchy. The best was 'my parents have always preferred my little brother' (this was literally the only information given) and the lecturer said it was a perfect example of patriarchy and systemic discrimination against and to the disadvantage of women. Oh, and a similar one was 'when I go into a mechanic's / garage with my dad, they always talk to my dad first'.

Patriarchy.
Oh, hell no. That's awful. Are they getting paid to spout this garbage? I guess a college being accreditted isn't enough if they've got a Women's Studies class in there. Are most classes like that? All of them should be reviewed, tbh, and taken out or fixed if they are spouting bullshit. If most of the material relies on bullshit, oh well. Teach something else, dumb asses.

codelette

Post by codelette »

@somedumbguy
I really like reading Gary Taubes. A lot of his arguments seem very plausible. I also enjoy reading Michael Pollan. I think the problem with calorie counting came when we started getting all these overly processed foods and manufactures started stamping "low cal" to the package. Then they write shit like "100 calories per serving" (and somewhere in between it says "4 servings per box"). Then you add poor suckers like marilove into the mix, and they think they are eating a 100 cals when they are really getting 400.
I do have to admit than I don't count calories, but I do tend to gain weight when I start eating out. When I eat out I eat like a pig. When I'm home, I'm more conscious of portions. When I eat home, I start losing weight.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Pitchguest wrote:Who the hell is Simon on Michael Nugent's blog? Simon Singh? That's ... Hensley's husband, right?

That would be Simon Davis who goes by the engagingly ironic name of @SimonKnowz on Twitter.

He is, as you may imagine, a completely dishonest "agree or misogyny" kool-aid chugging little tit. His Twitter style is hit-and-run. He probably works with Hensley to false flag Twitter accounts critical of what I assume he imagines is DC's very own CFI power couple where she's a fucking idiot and he's a glorified event planner.

Here's my latest exchange with this worm. Note he does a one-off Tweet and then hides:

[spoiler]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8222/8345 ... ffd4_o.jpg[/spoiler]

He sucks ass, basically. That and he's so lacking in anything like actual size balls that he must cum like an eye-dropper.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Shit. I go to sleep and the Nugent shit hits the fan. Lesson learned? Never go to sleep.

Parge

Post by Parge »

I must have missed something. Do only some of the members have a "thank" button?

Eucliwood

Post by Eucliwood »

Gefan wrote:
codelette wrote:I never understood how was it that the Patriarchy shames women into becoming Skeletors. My perception is that heterosexual men tend to prefer women with meat on top of their bones. To be crass: tits and ass is what they want.
I think you need to substitute "fashion industry" for "patriarchy" (being as only one of those things actually exist, and all) and then ask yourself how many straight men work there.
It's baffling to me how straight men got the blame pie-in-the-face for an industry that seems to be run more or less exclusively by women and gay men.
Yeah, seriously. It's not the patriarchy... it's all dumb asses requiring their models to be this or that. Sometimes the models take it upon themselves to do it - but not because they think the *man* portion of the audience wants sticks. Sometimes models really are told by their... whatever those people are, agents or something, that they need to lose some weight, and "no, don't eat this," etc. And guess what? plenty of those agents are women... and NO, they were not trained by the patriarchy.

Ugh, watching a sad program on people working their way out of poverty. One couple just put their dog down.. they were crying as he walked down the hall to be put down :( I cried too, silently. I feel like a dork. I'm glad I don't live below the poverty line... and especially if I had a pet that someone decided had to be put down cos cant afford or something? Wouldn't be able to take it.
And then there's this other family w/ a mom who had cancer and broke her leg, so she's currently out of work... the child support helps although they dont always get it and dont know how much they'll get... the mother thinks that couponing is a cool idea. Problem is, she is spending more than she would without seeing coupons for certain items, according to the daughter. Looks like she doesn't know how to coupon. *facepalm* They've had to sell some "memories" so to speak..
the daughter can't go to a public school anymore since she gets panic attacks and has other anxiety issues due to the poverty situation and being stressed out about finances...so she WAS doing homeschool, but they just sold the laptop she was doing it with to pay for the water bill.
But that doesn't matter, because lookie, now their net and cable are shut off. Cellphone is next.
I am so glad I don't live below the poverty line...

The other couple with the baby is putting 100 dollars away in saving, finally got their stuff paid... and are hoping to get their son some christmas presents.

I'm sorry, but if I was that poor and just struggled paying bills, I would not be planning to buy a baby who won't even realize much if he doesn't get presents, some presents. Can't spend a dime on that. Sorry, but no christmas for baby.

Oh geez, the guy is saying he used to think like "what if I just rob one person?" and how he cant think like that... but thinks about things like that a lot o.o

*sighs*

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

ReneeHendricks wrote:Shit. I go to sleep and the Nugent shit hits the fan. Lesson learned? Never go to sleep.
Well, you may have learned a lesson, but rest assured, they haven't.

[youtube]4PDJcw9oJt0[/youtube]

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

Parge wrote:I must have missed something. Do only some of the members have a "thank" button?
Parge:

The "thumbs up" button appears on the top-right of everyone's post but the person who is logged in, allowing them to "thank" them by clicking it. There's no button for the user so they can't "thank" themselves, probably because it's unsanitary.

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

I think I just got accused of criminal behaviour by Ellen Beth Wachs on Nugent's blog for being mentioned in tweets by Achron lol.

See it before its gone!

http://www.michaelnugent.com/2013/01/04 ... ogy-to-wb/

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

rocko2466 wrote:I think I just got accused of criminal behaviour by Ellen Beth Wachs on Nugent's blog for being mentioned in tweets by Achron lol.

See it before its gone!

http://www.michaelnugent.com/2013/01/04 ... ogy-to-wb/
Ellen Beth Wachs isn't having the best day when it comes to reasoned argument.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Mykeru wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:Shit. I go to sleep and the Nugent shit hits the fan. Lesson learned? Never go to sleep.
Well, you may have learned a lesson, but rest assured, they haven't.

[youtube]4PDJcw9oJt0[/youtube]
I totally gave you a "thank you" on that one :D Actually because I want to show my daughter that vid later - "derp" is her favorite word. Still (snicker), I gave you a "thank you" :D
Last edited by Lsuoma on Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Renee fucked up the spoiler - fixing it for her.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

DAMN IT! I screwed up the spoiler. Sigh. I didn't do exactly what I thought of when it was screwing up before - preview. Yeah. Going to shut the fuck up now for a bit and just caffeinate.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Parge wrote:I must have missed something. Do only some of the members have a "thank" button?
You have to chuck your cookies and then you may say thanks. :puke-huge:

Also you have to delete the cookies out of your browser and then reload the page.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Regarding the vegetarianism debate.

The only thing I really want to know is if a vegetarian's shit smells different from a normal person's.

Kudos to Michael Nugent for being clear about his error, btw.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

BarnOwl wrote:Meanwhile, Greta "please donate money for my cancer surgery" is waxing lyrical about Fluevogs:

[spoiler]
The shoes are enormously comfortable. John Fluevog knows what he’s doing: the heels I have from him are easily the most comfortable heels I own, and these new babies are almost like sneakers. And they’re definitely stylish. Again — John Fluevog knows what he’s doing.
But they’re also very quirky. They’re stylish and expressive, but they’re not conventionally pretty. They’re more than a little bit nerdy, and way more than a little old-fashioned. The very name of the shoe is “Pilgrim” — not exactly the apotheosis of feminine grace and sophistication. They carry strong overtones of “Wicked Witch of the West.”
And I realized: Maybe that’s exactly what I needed to break this conundrum.
Maybe, if I want dressy, stylish, comfortable women’s shoes, I need to re-define what I mean by “stylish.” Maybe I need to let go of “conventionally pretty.” Maybe I need to let go of conventional femininity. Maybe I need to let myself be a little old-fashioned. Maybe I need to let my stylishness be quirky, nerdy, witchy.
(I also maybe need to spend somewhat more than I normally do on shoes. That’s something Ingrid kept reminding me of when I was griping about my conundrum: more-expensive, higher-quality shoes tend to be more comfortable, and longer-lasting, as well as prettier. But when I think of how many pairs of useless ballerina flats I’ve bought in my life — and the amount of money I’ve wasted on them — the math on this totally adds up.)
[/spoiler]

You know, I genuinely enjoy reading most of Greta's fashion posts - not that I am remotely fashionable in my attire, but I just think some of the topics are interesting. However, I've yet to see her address "fashion on a budget" (perhaps because she doesn't worry about that) or the social justice issues associated with the fashion industry (perhaps because she doesn't care). I brought up the latter several times in the comments of one or two of her posts (as did some other commentators), but was ignored completely. Might have even been banninated, but I haven't tried commenting since.
Fuck me. If people pulled my ass out of the fire, I'd be gobsmacked with relief and gratitude and my concerns would be about cost/utility and not spitting on everyone who helped me. A genuine crisis is when your options are reduced to near zero and have nothing to do with whether "my stylishness be quirky, nerdy, witchy" with 2-3 hunnert dollar shoes. She just blithely showed her hairtrigger privilege-shaming howitzers point in every direction but her own.

Thanks a lot PlaySkool justice "warrior," for making the old charge of "limousine liberalism" something the rest of us on the left have to answer to.

Parge

Post by Parge »

Jonathan wrote:
Parge:

The "thumbs up" button appears on the top-right of everyone's post but the person who is logged in, allowing them to "thank" them by clicking it. There's no button for the user so they can't "thank" themselves, probably because it's unsanitary.
Well, lo and behold. I swear to bob that it wasn't there when I asked the question. Logged out and in again. Changed pages. Only after I refreshed to see your comment did that sneaky little thumbastard come out of the bushes. Maybe I won't click it just to spite it. I'm a bit short on willpower though. I didn't get any toys this Christmas and it feels like Santa found something at the bottom of his sack for me. <suppressed "yay"/>

TheMan

Post by TheMan »

Scented Nectar wrote:
You have to chuck your cookies and then you may say thanks. :puke-huge:

Also you have to delete the cookies out of your browser and then reload the page.
I just pressed F5 and there they were.... (Chrome Browser).

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Ape+lust wrote:
BarnOwl wrote:Meanwhile, Greta "please donate money for my cancer surgery" is waxing lyrical about Fluevogs:

[spoiler]
The shoes are enormously comfortable. John Fluevog knows what he’s doing: the heels I have from him are easily the most comfortable heels I own, and these new babies are almost like sneakers. And they’re definitely stylish. Again — John Fluevog knows what he’s doing.
But they’re also very quirky. They’re stylish and expressive, but they’re not conventionally pretty. They’re more than a little bit nerdy, and way more than a little old-fashioned. The very name of the shoe is “Pilgrim” — not exactly the apotheosis of feminine grace and sophistication. They carry strong overtones of “Wicked Witch of the West.”
Maybe, if I want dressy, stylish, comfortable women’s shoes, I need to re-define what I mean by “stylish.” Maybe I need to let go of “conventionally pretty.” Maybe I need to let go of conventional femininity. Maybe I need to let myself be a little old-fashioned. Maybe I need to let my stylishness be quirky, nerdy, witchy.
(I also maybe need to spend somewhat more than I normally do on shoes. That’s something Ingrid kept reminding me of when I was griping about my conundrum: more-expensive, higher-quality shoes tend to be more comfortable, and longer-lasting, as well as prettier. But when I think of how many pairs of useless ballerina flats I’ve bought in my life — and the amount of money I’ve wasted on them — the math on this totally adds up.)
[/spoiler]

You know, I genuinely enjoy reading most of Greta's fashion posts - not that I am remotely fashionable in my attire, but I just think some of the topics are interesting. However, I've yet to see her address "fashion on a budget" (perhaps because she doesn't worry about that) or the social justice issues associated with the fashion industry (perhaps because she doesn't care). I brought up the latter several times in the comments of one or two of her posts (as did some other commentators), but was ignored completely. Might have even been banninated, but I haven't tried commenting since.
Fuck me. If people pulled my ass out of the fire, I'd be gobsmacked with relief and gratitude and my concerns would be about cost/utility and not spitting on everyone who helped me. A genuine crisis is when your options are reduced to near zero and have nothing to do with whether "my stylishness be quirky, nerdy, witchy" with 2-3 hunnert dollar shoes. She just blithely showed her hairtrigger privilege-shaming howitzers point in every direction but her own.

Thanks a lot PlaySkool justice "warrior," for making the old charge of "limousine liberalism" something the rest of us on the left have to answer to.
The guy who writes 'the zingularity' begged for some Xmas money too, and then he went out and bought an Ipad or some shit. Disgusting!
Last edited by Lsuoma on Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Another Lurker fucked up the spoiler tags - fixing.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

ReneeHendricks wrote:DAMN IT! I screwed up the spoiler.
Yeah, that's absolutely shocking...DERP!

Eucliwood

Post by Eucliwood »

Mykeru wrote:
So how exactly do you screw up the spoiler tag? What happens?

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Mykeru wrote: That would be Simon Davis who goes by the engagingly ironic name of @SimonKnowz on Twitter.

He is, as you may imagine, a completely dishonest "agree or misogyny" kool-aid chugging little tit. His Twitter style is hit-and-run. He probably works with Hensley to false flag Twitter accounts critical of what I assume he imagines is DC's very own CFI power couple where she's a fucking idiot and he's a glorified event planner.
It's not unusual to stumble across an FTB blog post that's long past it's sell-by date, and discover one last, late snide comment from Melody's pet capauchin hanging at the bottom of the comment thread like a winnit.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Eucliwood wrote:
Mykeru wrote:
I put the end tag in the wrong spot (thereby having an end quote before the end spoiler - so: quote - spoiler - endquote - endspoiler).

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Pitchguest wrote:Who the hell is Simon on Michael Nugent's blog? Simon Singh? That's ... Hensley's husband, right?

As in the Simon Singh?
Author of several decent books, and the defendant in the Chiropracters lawlsuit here in the UK?
Fuck i hope not....

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Mykeru wrote:

That would be Simon Davis who goes by the engagingly ironic name of @SimonKnowz on Twitter.

Here's my latest exchange with this worm. Note he does a one-off Tweet and then hides:

[spoiler]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8222/8345 ... ffd4_o.jpg[/spoiler]

thank all the fucks for that...
He sucks ass, basically. That and he's so lacking in anything like actual size balls that he must cum like an eye-dropper.

TheMan

Post by TheMan »

Tigzy wrote:Regarding the vegetarianism debate.

The only thing I really want to know is if a vegetarian's shit smells different from a normal person's.

Kudos to Michael Nugent for being clear about his error, btw.
My partner goes in and out of vegetariansim.... Both our shit stinks, mine might be a bit for sulphuric but I like how when she decides to become a vegetarian I have to become one by default. She even went through a stage where she couldn't stand the sight of meat so I had to eat out if I wanted meat. I had to employ white anting tactics to swing her back round for example after a couple of months of vegetarianism she had a light period so I told her because she lacked iron. another time I told her she was looking pale and can I fetch her an old WWII favourite - Vegemite & noodle soup so I can boost her B2 vitamin groups.

At least I don't have to cook separate meals after I have done the ironing or mopping the Lino floors.

She started Kundalini Yoga a couple of months ago so she's decided to cut out onions & garlic...there goes half my dinner planning. So tonight, after I bring in the washing off the line before it gets dark, I have to think of a tasty meal sans onion & garlic.

Burp...sorry I'm famished for some patriarcy. Anyone know a good recipe?

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

jimthepleb wrote:As in the Simon Singh?
Author of several decent books, and the defendant in the Chiropracters lawlsuit here in the UK?
Fuck i hope not....
Oh, hell no. THIS Simon:

http://i.imgur.com/4bVIc.jpg

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

BarnOwl wrote:
franc wrote:Michael Nugent reports in to his masters -
Pathetic. Photoshopping Nugent's head to the body of a toad would be insulting to amphibians.

Meanwhile, Greta "please donate money for my cancer surgery" is waxing lyrical about Fluevogs:

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

*vomit*
*blink*
**VOMIT**

At Greta 'The Grifter' Christina taking money from people for her 'cancer' and then spending it on exorbitantly priced shoes, but also the shoes.

They are not 'little bit nerdy, and way more than a little old-fashioned'. They are fucking ugly.
http://www.fluevog.com/code/images/colo ... posite.jpg
You can get cute, comfortable, reasonably priced dessy shoes at Payless for $30 (-20% off coupons). Thats where us with unpayable medical bills buy our shoes (maybe once a year, maybe).

She bought these because she wanted some fucking expensive designer shoes and when people gave her shit about it she could BAAAAW about how she is SO UNCONVENTIONAL for buying them and she doesnt buy into what SOCIETY says is pretty!

Attention whore buys attention whore shoes.

**VOMIT**

cunt

Post by cunt »

To be fair to Greta, she only said she might give some of the excess money to charity.

masakari2012

Post by masakari2012 »

I have some disagreements with Noelplum99 on this video. I'll send him a message on youtube, as soon as I can find the relevant SkepticalAbyss links...

[youtube]I2mbsGxEWV8[/youtube]

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

As any conversation gains traction, the probability of it being taken over by women who want to talk about shoes approaches 1

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Mykeru wrote:
LOL Fuck you!

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

I'm with Mykeru. THis thanks stuff is unwieldy, as ugly as fuck, and about as useless as a marzipan dildo.

It's difficult to tell before actually seeing it in action.

I'm going to disable it now, then back it out later.

I'll see if I can get a simple tag/bookmark/up-vote this post thing, so we can see highly-rated posts for later.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Regarding Simon Davies (Simon Singh, as if!), I noticed on Melodys rather hilariously sad blog (a typical post being http://melodyhensley.tumblr.com/post/38 ... stfeminism ) that Simon is working on producing an online history of women in secularism.
http://www.tiki-toki.com/timeline/entry ... _01:13:13!

Apparently women began to get interested in secularism at approximately 1.00 AM on the 24th of September 2010
Unfortunately they didn't DO anything until November that year when Monica Shore wrote an article for Ms magazine (yes, we are at that level)
This was followed up by Jen McCreight ( or was it Madeleine O Hair? - that's the picture Davies used!) commenting on the article.
Obviously this took a lot of effort because it wasn't until April fools day 2011 that the next effort was made - appropriately enough by Melody herself, who began planning the CFI 'Women in Secularism' conference.
Next up was an article in (wait for it...) 'Bitch' magazine (for some reason I seem to be picturing Simon Davies writing that word while recuperating on his fainting couch)
This prompts comments on the 'ask an atheist' site from Paula Kirby and Ophelia Benson.
Kirbys reply was as you would expect but Ophelia's should probably be read again in the light of her subsequent behavior.

The question was:
"what are some strategies that new atheism could employ to get more women on board, or to raise the visibility of women atheists who are already out there?"
Ophelia's reply?
I think the main strategy new atheists can use to raise the visibility of women atheists is simply to be women and keep arguing, talking, writing, posting, rabble-rousing, and making jokes. We’re doing that. Paula Kirby does it, Susan Jacoby does it, Greta Christina does it, Jen McCreight does it, Ayaan Hirsi Ali does it. Also Polly Toynbee, Katha Pollitt, Sikivu Hutchinson, Joan Smith, Maryam Namazie, Wendy Kaminer, Rebecca Watson, and many many more.
While it is rather difficult for some of us "to be women" I think the slymepit is doing a pretty good job of "arguing, talking, writing, posting, rabble-rousing, and making jokes."

Thanks for the advice Ophelia, we'll keep on with your suggestion!

As for the rest of the history, you can probably guess.
The Slymepit gets a mention although, as you might guess, Davies :liar: isn't exactly enamored with the idea of sticking to the truth:
SlymePit forum launches

Citing updated commenting policies at Scienceblogs, the forum Slymepit.com is launched to host the comment thread at SA "Abbie" Smith's blog re:Watson that was still on-going for the past year with tens of thousands of unmoderated comments in a single thread known as "the slime pit".

As of December 28, 2012 the forum has 432 registered users.

The forum's original tag line would be "Better than a **** in the ****!" in reference to a comment about kicking Ophelia Benson "in the cunt".

The forum maintains the unfiltered and unmoderated comment thread that preceded it and features frequent sexist and misogynistic remarks primarily about Rebecca Watson, Ophelia Benson, and Stephanie Zvan as well as other male and female atheists. FreethoughtBlogs contributors are referred to a "baboons" and many of the participants in the forum also blog or comment on "men's rights" sites such as AVoiceForMen.com.
There is, however some good news from Davies timeline:

Apparently Davies, seeing himself as the baboon version of Harold Camping, has figured out when it's all going to end!
The date and time, I can now reveal is 14.00 on the afternoon of the 24th of June 2013.

Coming two weeks before TAM 2013 I think we can safely assume this is the ultimate revenge for the Surly Amy T-shirt outrage.

(Mind you, considering that he's married to Hensley, the annihilation of all life on Earth due to the coming apocalypse with his own release into the cold embrace of death might just be wishful thinking on his part)

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Thanks for the fix, Lsuoma!

acathode

Post by acathode »

Is it possible to make the "These users thanked ..." a bit more discrete? It really looks strange atm, 3 short lines centered under the signature seem misplaced, looks a bit like a badly placed ad or something, rather than something that's part of the site (my first reaction was to start looking if my adblocker was broken).

I'd suggest just making it into one line, something like "<NN> users has thanked <Poster> for this post (expand)" (where expand shows the names), and left-aligned instead of centered. That's how I've seen it done on other sites using similar features...

Also, something is seriously fucked up with the spoilers tags, seems they've resulted in one to many </tags> or something, as I'm getting half of the thread in the scrollbox, and the rest outside when previewing my post in the post editor.

LMU

Post by LMU »

JackRayner wrote:
another lurker wrote:Jesus fucking christ

http://www.polygon.com/2013/1/2/3828182 ... lent-video
a small community about 30 miles from the site of the Newtown massacre is organizing a voluntary video game return program, aimed at collecting violent video games from families and likely burning them.

The Violent Video Games Return Program offers up gift certificates in exchange for violent games, music and movies turned in during an event later this month.

The collected items will then be broken and later incinerated by town employees.
well, thank god they are getting to the root of the problem!
Shit! They're even throwing music in there?! http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x17/ ... /rofl2.gif

*sigh*...people. Everytime shit like this is done, it reminds me of this video. [If you don't like rap, the first 36 seconds is free of it, and gets the whole point across.]

[spoiler][youtube]HzeZhCt5PVA[/youtube][/spoiler]
"Compton was a nature preserve for bunny rabbits!"

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Thanks BS is gone.

Eucliwood

Post by Eucliwood »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
FreethoughtBlogs contributors are referred to a "baboons" and many of the participants in the forum also blog or comment on "men's rights" sites such as AVoiceForMen.com.
Wait, what? Who here actually comments there anyway? PLEASE link me to this shit so I can ask the writer himself.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

ReneeHendricks wrote:
Eucliwood wrote:
Mykeru wrote:
I put the end tag in the wrong spot (thereby having an end quote before the end spoiler - so: quote - spoiler - endquote - endspoiler).
You want to have the spoiler tags, like all tags, properly nested. If you have a quote /quote you don't interrupt that tag beginning and ending, so the proper spoiler use is spoiler quote /quote /spoiler.

Stick the spoiler in another tag, spoiler quote /spoiler /quote, you are interrupting that tag and the spoiler tag and things go full fuck up.

So

1. Pay attention to the beginning and end of tags. Don't stick a tag in the middle of another tag in a way that it truncates the end brackets

2. Use the preview function before you post anything

3. Don't be Renee. This is probably the most important.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Lsuoma wrote:Thanks BS is gone.
Thank you! **HUG** :mrgreen:

Eucliwood

Post by Eucliwood »

Lsuoma wrote:Thanks BS is gone.
Lsuoma can you run a poll? Like, with things like "Supports/Praises AVfM" "Comments on it (does not praise it, just like commenting on FtB isn't the same as supporting)" "Does not comment on AVfM"

So I have something to link to that guy? Cos he's acting like "many" here support or praise AVfM. Idk much about it but to his readers they're asshole misogynists, so I would not like this forum to be tied with AVfM, as if we're just a bunch of AVfM-ers at some place new called SlymePit.

Please. Please. Please.