Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads
welch

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by welch »

BarnOwl wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:
So, the goal for atheism, in their view, is to "replac[e] religious ideology" "in this country" (US) and/or in "society" more widely by dismantling society and rebuilding it from the ground up so (as Esteleth writes) "we can move forward, not as men and women struggling against each other, but together as a species."

Oh, yeah. That's going to go over well outside their little circle. :roll:
Most of the Pharyngula commentariat wouldn't survive the routine dismantling of an 8-cup coffee press, much less the rebuilding of society from the ground up.
Hey! Put in a fucking trigger warning before you talk about something so horrible!

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

franc wrote:Michael Nugent reports in to his masters -

[spoiler]http://i.imgur.com/mpYI9.png[/spoiler]
Oh well, he's going to correct his inability to hear quotes in the spoken word rather than just feed a piece of manufactured horseshit straight into the echo chamber, right?

Right?

Oh. Well then, we can preserves this as a case study of how the A+/FTB/SCK Mighty Wurlitzer of Bullshit operates

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Pathetic. Photoshopping Nugent's head to the body of a toad would be insulting to amphibians.

Meanwhile, Greta "please donate money for my cancer surgery" is waxing lyrical about Fluevogs:

[spoiler]
The shoes are enormously comfortable. John Fluevog knows what he’s doing: the heels I have from him are easily the most comfortable heels I own, and these new babies are almost like sneakers. And they’re definitely stylish. Again — John Fluevog knows what he’s doing.
But they’re also very quirky. They’re stylish and expressive, but they’re not conventionally pretty. They’re more than a little bit nerdy, and way more than a little old-fashioned. The very name of the shoe is “Pilgrim” — not exactly the apotheosis of feminine grace and sophistication. They carry strong overtones of “Wicked Witch of the West.”
And I realized: Maybe that’s exactly what I needed to break this conundrum.
Maybe, if I want dressy, stylish, comfortable women’s shoes, I need to re-define what I mean by “stylish.” Maybe I need to let go of “conventionally pretty.” Maybe I need to let go of conventional femininity. Maybe I need to let myself be a little old-fashioned. Maybe I need to let my stylishness be quirky, nerdy, witchy.
(I also maybe need to spend somewhat more than I normally do on shoes. That’s something Ingrid kept reminding me of when I was griping about my conundrum: more-expensive, higher-quality shoes tend to be more comfortable, and longer-lasting, as well as prettier. But when I think of how many pairs of useless ballerina flats I’ve bought in my life — and the amount of money I’ve wasted on them — the math on this totally adds up.)
[/spoiler]

You know, I genuinely enjoy reading most of Greta's fashion posts - not that I am remotely fashionable in my attire, but I just think some of the topics are interesting. However, I've yet to see her address "fashion on a budget" (perhaps because she doesn't worry about that) or the social justice issues associated with the fashion industry (perhaps because she doesn't care). I brought up the latter several times in the comments of one or two of her posts (as did some other commentators), but was ignored completely. Might have even been banninated, but I haven't tried commenting since.

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

another lurker wrote:cunning punt: http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/snowshoes ... vo/product

this one, specifically
Ah, the Evo. Nice looking shoe. I will have to rent a pair, I've wondered what they are like. I've heard they sink a bit more than the larger shoes.

Darren

Post by Darren »

mutleyeng

Post by mutleyeng »

mutleyeng wrote:
TheMan wrote:top right? All I see are the "quote" and "report" buttons..... I'm desperate to spank thank myself.
I would thank you for this, cos I see nothin there either - thought I was just bein stoopid again
consider you have a "thank you" on the slate
right, who's fucking with me?
now all of a sudden the thumb has appeared!

If anyone is not seeing the thumb, what I did was make a post saying I couldnt see the thumb - then went to "user control panel" to see if there were any options I needed to activate - didnt find any such options so didnt change a thing - came back, and the thumb was there

masakari2012

Post by masakari2012 »

[spoiler]http://i.imgur.com/0dh57.jpg[/spoiler]

Karmakin

Post by Karmakin »

BarnOwl wrote:You know, I genuinely enjoy reading most of Greta's fashion posts - not that I am remotely fashionable in my attire, but I just think some of the topics are interesting. However, I've yet to see her address "fashion on a budget" (perhaps because she doesn't worry about that) or the social justice issues associated with the fashion industry (perhaps because she doesn't care). I brought up the latter several times in the comments of one or two of her posts (as did some other commentators), but was ignored completely. Might have even been banninated, but I haven't tried commenting since.
The big mistake you make is assuming that Social Justice Warriors actually take the concept of social justice..you know...seriously. They often don't. It's something for them to criticize other people for.

welch

Post by welch »

rocko2466 wrote:To clarify, I think we should ALSO mock. But there can be two different strategies of dealing with these people being employed at the same time.
There's mocking and there's hur-hur.

jjbinx007

Post by jjbinx007 »

Skep tickle wrote:Better leave the Welcome mat out in the 'pit.

The "Thunderfoot puts out a new video" thread at atheism+ forum has led to 1 ban-after-1-post, and the person who started that thread, kitsy, has apparently had a temp-ban for "doubling down on a strawman" (to quote SubMor).

kitsy's question after returning from that temp-ban is per protocol and is going over "well" with the mods there (plus is worth a grin): http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic ... 200#p61099 (bolding added)
The whole A-Plus movement and the people in it are dysfunctional and broken. It hurts my brain every time I read anything from that forum - they will never achieve anything meaningful because *every tiny goddam word* has to be analysed, probed, checked for privilege and, most importantly, weighed up against the person saying it (!). It's easier for them to kvetch and bicker endlessly for days rather than go out and achieve something meaningful in the real world.

How can you possibly get anything done in an atmosphere like that? The forum is a "safe space" for the damaged and delicate radfems to enact their revenge on the perceived bullying they've suffered all their lives.

If an outsider enters their "safe space" and doesn't immediately comply with the hive mind then it is attacked, belittled, mocked and abused by the performance warriors.

If they want to grow their movement, this approach to newcomers will never work. If they're rude, sarcastic and downright hostile to anyone who questions, asks for evidence or disagrees with the Borg collective then they're going to drive allies away. They have tried to completely polarise the debate and force people to take sides. They're like George W Bush's "with us or against us" stance. The world is more nuanced. We don't reject Hitchens' arguments about the existence of God because we might disagree with his stance on US Foreign Policy. They're not being "inclusive" or "compassionate" if they drive away people who dare to suggest that sometimes men are the victims of sexism too.

Another reason why this civil war has dragged on as long as it has is because there is no debate. There's arguing, and there's banning but there's no debate. Thunderf00t and Dillahunty could have settled a lot of their arguments quicker if they'd had a live webcam debate and thrashed out their differences. Would they have agreed on everything? Of course not. Would either of them have softened their positions slightly? I think so. Would it have saved months and months of endless dragging-it-out in forums, as well as back-and-forth Youtube videos? I think so, yes.

We, as skeptics, are not always as rational as we like to think we are. And we make mistakes. We form bad arguments, adopt an incorrect position, and sometimes we find it difficult to say "I was wrong about that". This polarisation makes it even harder for either side to concede ground. I doubt very much that Dillahunty will watch Justicar's recent videos and make a video response saying "Sorry, I was wrong about accusing Thunderf00t of being dishonest for raking up old screenshots because I mocked Ray Comfort by putting a banana on the screen". Likewise Thunderf00t is unlikely to make a Potholer54-style Errata video where he corrects any mistakes he's made and re-hones his arguments.

Oneiros666

Post by Oneiros666 »

So, in the spirit of the Pit being a place to laugh (and laugh and laugh) at the derpydurrps over at AtheismPlus, I give to you Setar's latest gold-nugget:
Setarrrd wrote:So, I'm in the Occupy BC group on Facebook and someone posts this article about the police (linked because it's an interesting read), calling out cop-apologists in the thread title.

One of the commenters complains about the term 'cop-apologists', saying that the tendency to defend the police is an assumption. I...erm, no. That's just wrong -- the mainstream media nearly always overstates the violence and creates a false balance that allows the cops to get away with brutal suppression of genuinely leftist movements (but not right-wing movements such as the Tea Party). Everyone in fecking Occupy is supposed to know this. So, I point out that this tendency is observed, not assumed.

Here's the response, quoted...
rational person wrote:personal observation? recorded observation? is there evidence that people by default side with the police? i would need that if we are to continue this specific point. otherwise it might be a matter of personal opinion based on personal experiences, which can be as diverse as the diversity of people as individuals themselves.
Hyper-skepticism...-sigh-. so. Cops. What the fuck are we going to do about them? Moreover, how do we deal with people who keep fucking defending them and giving them privilege?
Yes, because everyone haz to agrees that the police are all evil. Because society would be sooo much better without the police. Also, skeptics asking for evidence when presented with a claim are "hyper-skeptics" and this apparently teh badz. They (teh Police) are after all, as the first person to reply to Setar said, "counter-revolutionary" and we cannot have that can we?

franc

Post by franc »

mutleyeng wrote:
mutleyeng wrote:
TheMan wrote:top right? All I see are the "quote" and "report" buttons..... I'm desperate to spank thank myself.
I would thank you for this, cos I see nothin there either - thought I was just bein stoopid again
consider you have a "thank you" on the slate
right, who's fucking with me?
now all of a sudden the thumb has appeared!

If anyone is not seeing the thumb, what I did was make a post saying I couldnt see the thumb - then went to "user control panel" to see if there were any options I needed to activate - didnt find any such options so didnt change a thing - came back, and the thumb was there
FFS. For browser weirdness go to google and type in "how do I clear my browser cache". Memorise the "how do I" part when you find it. The pixels wasted on questions for these types of problems globally could power all of Japan for a year. Why do you hate the environment so much?

HoneyWagon

Post by HoneyWagon »

codelette wrote:[spoiler]
HoneyWagon wrote: Some areas legitimately do not have many options for a variety of fresh food. I thankfully live near a ton of Mexican supermarkets, plus Costco, Trader Joes and Fresh and Easy. The farmer's markets in the Los Angeles area work as a group so that farmer's markets happen every day all over the city giving people a chance at fresh affordable food. The farmer's markets that have great income (like the one in Hollywood) helps subsidize markets in areas that need them. And this does not apply to most people here, but people that are homeless, living in cars or weekly hotels generally have no way to store foods that need refrigeration, so they are more likely to buy food that doesn't need this, like processed foods and fast foods.
Obviously not all people that are overweight are homeless, but just giving an example of a group that might have more of a reason for poor food in their diet.

The reasons people are overweight are varied. So many changes happened in the western diet or activity in the last few decades, that it is hard to pin it on one thing. I think the change in the USDA recommendations to reduce fat and increase carbs has something to do with it. With the desire for lower fat, we also got processed foods that had some form of sugar added to replace the fat so it would have some flavor. And just the increased eating of processed foods altogether.

I think most people would be successful with either a low carb/ high fat diet or a high carb/ low fat diet (whichever they think they are more likely to stick with for the long term) if in addition, they reduced processed foods and ate whole foods. Takes more time, but it is worth it.

I don't know about your current diet, but I would try to replace the canned veggies with fresh or frozen. Just less sodium and preservatives. You didn't ask for my opinion, but there it is.
[/spoiler]

My current diet includes fresh and frozen veggies. Canned veggies was the majority of the veggies that my parents bought when I was growing up. We also ate a lot of salted-dried protein (like codfish and herring).
I was talking about the section of poor people that are not destitute poor (homeless people and the like). Along the lines of illegal Hispanic laborers, they tend to eat pretty healthily.
My diet nowadays is very snobby. I have the money to buy wild-caught, local-this, grass-fed that...but I also go to the Mexican market a lot to get avocados, cilantro, beans, rice, etc. About three years ago, our income was way way lower; so bought almost everything from the Mexican/Asian grocers. Back then I had a budget of 65-75 USD per week to cook three meals a day for two adults. Ironically enough, it is when I cooked the healthiest.

PS. And yeah, I think the USDA fucked people up. I ignore them. I eat full fat. Low fat is for wimps (that's what my mom told me lol).
Sounds good to me. I fell for the USDA guidelines (well, at least felt guilty when I ate fat) for most of my life. If anyone would have told me they were low carbers, "Fat is bad for you" I would have said. Not anymore.

Darren

Post by Darren »

Me editing Oneiros666 wrote:... I snipped a whole bunch of shit here about police and 'Setar, self appointed gender-queer fuck-sherrif of the freethoughtblogs wank-chamber']
Dude, I read your post, serously. But I am wasted so to hell with that.

I don't mind police so much. They do a job not a lot of people want to do because of the stigma of being "one of them". I actually considered the police as a "career opportunity" but discarded it because I smoke to much and didn't want to quit. One lap of the ground is enough for me. Sure, I know some police officers are cuntstables but, by and large, I think they are trying to do the right thing.

I cunt even remember if I am agreeing or disagreeing with you.

I think I need to go to bed.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Oneiros666 wrote:[spoiler]So, in the spirit of the Pit being a place to laugh (and laugh and laugh) at the derpydurrps over at AtheismPlus, I give to you Setar's latest gold-nugget:
Setarrrd wrote:So, I'm in the Occupy BC group on Facebook and someone posts this article about the police (linked because it's an interesting read), calling out cop-apologists in the thread title.

One of the commenters complains about the term 'cop-apologists', saying that the tendency to defend the police is an assumption. I...erm, no. That's just wrong -- the mainstream media nearly always overstates the violence and creates a false balance that allows the cops to get away with brutal suppression of genuinely leftist movements (but not right-wing movements such as the Tea Party). Everyone in fecking Occupy is supposed to know this. So, I point out that this tendency is observed, not assumed.

Here's the response, quoted...
rational person wrote:personal observation? recorded observation? is there evidence that people by default side with the police? i would need that if we are to continue this specific point. otherwise it might be a matter of personal opinion based on personal experiences, which can be as diverse as the diversity of people as individuals themselves.
Hyper-skepticism...-sigh-. so. Cops. What the fuck are we going to do about them? Moreover, how do we deal with people who keep fucking defending them and giving them privilege?
[/spoiler]

Yes, because everyone haz to agrees that the police are all evil. Because society would be sooo much better without the police. Also, skeptics asking for evidence when presented with a claim are "hyper-skeptics" and this apparently teh badz. They (teh Police) are after all, as the first person to reply to Setar said, "counter-revolutionary" and we cannot have that can we?
Setar, the one complaining about "brutal suppression" is the same person captured on video waving around a box cutter while taking part in a mob action to tear down John the Other's posters:

[youtube]3Jz63_lGuSE[/youtube]

What a piece of shit.

mutleyeng

Post by mutleyeng »

franc wrote: The pixels wasted on questions for these types of problems globally could power all of Japan for a year.
probably insignificant to the number you waste on being a grouchy ol bugger

Darren

Post by Darren »

mutleyeng wrote:
franc wrote: The pixels wasted on questions for these types of problems globally could power all of Japan for a year.

Darren

Post by Darren »

mutleyeng wrote:If anyone is not seeing the thumb, what I did was make a post saying I couldnt see the thumb - then went to "user control panel" to see if there were any options I needed to activate - didnt find any such options so didnt change a thing - came back, and the thumb was there
I didn't see the thumb at first. Then it appeared out of nowhere.

franc

Post by franc »

mutleyeng wrote:
Deranged loner remember? There are finite limitations to my monstrosity. Versus 2,459,646,518 browsers, a significant % broken in some easily fixable way. Exacerbated by watching The Shining for the first time in 30 years and remembering how much I detest Kubrick.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Karmakin wrote:The big mistake you make is assuming that Social Justice Warriors actually take the concept of social justice..you know...seriously. They often don't. It's something for them to criticize other people for.
Yep. My habit of taking people at their word in meatspace doesn't work well at all on the internetz.

Darren

Post by Darren »

BarnOwl wrote:Yep. My habit of taking people at their word in meatspace doesn't work well at all on the internetz.
It works in meatspace?

WoolyBumblebee

Post by WoolyBumblebee »

rayshul wrote:I'm laughing almost as much as I did when Tony started fapping to the urethra meatus.

@micknugent @rebeccawatson Wow, you two are a little two-person retard train, aren't you?
ROFL!! Oh, that was perfect :D

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Darren wrote:
BarnOwl wrote:Yep. My habit of taking people at their word in meatspace doesn't work well at all on the internetz.
It works in meatspace?
Does for me most of the time, but then I'm pretty good at reading non-verbal cues.

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

Michael Nugent has retracted his article about the "bullying" of Melody Hensley
This article was originally titled ‘Publisher of video flagged for bullying admits Melody Hensley has been harassed and bullied’ but WB has since clarified that she does not admit this, so keeping that title would be misleading and unfair to her.

I apologise to WB for attributing this admission to her. She had intended her words to be interpreted as an implied quotation, and I mistakenly heard them as a direct assertion.

While WB and I clearly do not agree on the substantive issues being discussed, it did not help for me to add to the problem by misrepresenting her about this.

I would also like to thank Rocco2466 for bringing this mistake to my attention and discussing it in a reasoned way in the comments. I have left the original article as it is below, along with the comments.

Michael Nugent
Regardless of your views on MN's recent articles, he deserves credit for admitting he made a mistake publically and retracting what he said.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

codelette wrote:and this is from a site that takes pride on being the forefront of science and skepticism. Shit that Marilove says...
http://i.imgur.com/chcGq.png

lol
Physics/biology/chemistry= fat shaming.
I think Marilove is expecting somebody to some to her house and do the work for her.

"But I ated only three radishes orl off today and I iz still teh fat!"

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

EdgePenguin

Post by EdgePenguin »

Jonathan wrote:Michael Nugent has retracted his article about the "bullying" of Melody Hensley
This article was originally titled ‘Publisher of video flagged for bullying admits Melody Hensley has been harassed and bullied’ but WB has since clarified that she does not admit this, so keeping that title would be misleading and unfair to her.

I apologise to WB for attributing this admission to her. She had intended her words to be interpreted as an implied quotation, and I mistakenly heard them as a direct assertion.

While WB and I clearly do not agree on the substantive issues being discussed, it did not help for me to add to the problem by misrepresenting her about this.

I would also like to thank Rocco2466 for bringing this mistake to my attention and discussing it in a reasoned way in the comments. I have left the original article as it is below, along with the comments.

Michael Nugent
Regardless of your views on MN's recent articles, he deserves credit for admitting he made a mistake publically and retracting what he said.
That is a very rare thing to be seen in the pearl-clutchers trench. Kudos to Michael Nugent.

franc

Post by franc »

Jonathan wrote:Michael Nugent has retracted his article about the "bullying" of Melody Hensley
[...]
Deserves a pat on the head. Be more impressed if he retracts his approval seeking tweets.

WoolyBumblebee

Post by WoolyBumblebee »

Michael Nugent
*FALLS ON FLOOR*... He retracted it? Wow... Am I in the twilight zone? :confusion-helpsos:

codelette

Post by codelette »

Tony Parsehole wrote: Physics/biology/chemistry= fat shaming.
I think Marilove is expecting somebody to some to her house and do the work for her.

Notice also how the commenter wrote "lose weight" and she just talked about her inability to be thin. What? Bed-ridden obese individuals lose weight when doing exactly what the original commenter said. The regime is based on medical advice. Most of them never become thin individuals either, but they DO lose weight when calories are cut and exercise is added.

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

WoolyBumblebee wrote:*FALLS ON FLOOR*... He retracted it? Wow... Am I in the twilight zone? :confusion-helpsos:
Not the Twilight Zone but.....

[youtube]eduX27PflFo[/youtube]

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

For those of you on twitter, https://twitter.com/schrostherapist deserves a lot more followers than she has.
She has linked this http://web.archive.org/web/200007110548 ... ge-science article out of the past.
Twenty years ago the dominant mood of feminism could have been represented by the World War II poster of Rosie the Riveter. Activists were rolling up their sleeves and demanding access to traditionally male jobs. Women were no longer always willing to be nurses, or legal secretaries, or lab technicians. They were demanding the opportunity to be electricians, engineers, forest rangers, and astronauts - and gender stereotypes that implied that women couldn't deal with machines or think analytically were anathema to them.
Now today those who have subverted the feminist movement with Identity politics are victims, not strong women. Sad.

Do not let Identity politics do this to Atheism folks.

Altair

Post by Altair »

codelette wrote: Notice also how the commenter wrote "lose weight" and she just talked about her inability to be thin. What? Bed-ridden obese individuals lose weight when doing exactly what the original commenter said. The regime is based on medical advice. Most of them never become thin individuals either, but they DO lose weight when calories are cut and exercise is added.
Her reaction is probably a mixture of things.
It seems people have a tendency to underestimate the amount of calories they eat, which could contribute to her idea that she eats less and still doesn't lose weight.

The need to blame someone else for something she's done or failed to do I had seen before, but it's interesting that she has added disdain and anger towards the people who are trying to lose weight or the ones who have managed to do it. I guess it's because if they can do it, she no longer gets to claim it's impossible for everyone, and that would be to difficult for her to contemplate.

welch

Post by welch »

rayshul wrote:Health food is generally cheap, unless you live on a fucking island. Then YMMV. Unless you're hardcore organic. It costs my family less when we're eating healthy than when we're not.

I've always thought the reason poverty often comes with eating shittily is because of lack of time-resources rather than cost, as far as I'd figure. It costs time to prepare fresh food that you don't have to think about when you're heating up something in a microwave.
The problem with "healthy" food has two parts: longevity and stretchability. In general, healthy, or healthier food doesn't last long. It spoils somewhat quickly. So unless you have a large freezer, or similar storage, you can't bank up. Given the size of the living quarters po' folks have, food space is at a premium. The other is how many meals you can get out of that money. Shit like generic cheesy Mac and rice can easily cover multiple meals on the cheap. Shitty meat in a tube the same way. That pound of lean beef, not so much.

When space is at a premium, and you get maybe two shopping days a month, your start buying the stuff that lasts, and can cover multiple meals better. That biases you away from certain things.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Lsuoma wrote:
AbsurdWalls wrote: I could see Karma working as a way of flagging particularly good posts that might then be stuck somewhere else. Like little nuggets of gold panned out of the slime.
Karma would be for posters, not posts. So Abbie, franc, SN, welch, etc., would have their karma at or close to zero, while colon and some of our other favourites would be up in the stratosphere.

Up-voting posts might be helpful though, especially if one could search by rating.
Yuck, I hate when there's named 'thanking' or 'karma' or that sort of shit. Some people fall into the patterns of trading them with others (if thanked they try to thank back), and people who just don't often do upvoting end up looking like grouches who don't appreciate people.

I really don't like this whole thanking/karma thing. Also, it sounds so new age religious mixed with a tone thing of nice people say thank you. Did you say thank you? Let's see, how many times. Oh what a good little forum citizen. BLAARRGHHH

I'm not going to participate in it. Everyone consider yourselves thanked in advance and just picture your numbers plus one, if you like. It seems like a lot of extra work to decide which posts are 'thumbworthy' good compared to ordinary good. I'm not even going to bother trying.

Thanking. Can it at least be changed to 'thumbs up' or 'rating' or something less goody-two-shoes sounding? I'm too old for the expression "what do you say?....." "please and thank you" *head gets patted*

Ask me about what I told the bus driver who tried to withhold giving me a transfer with a "what do you say?"

WoolyBumblebee

Post by WoolyBumblebee »

Jonathan wrote:
WoolyBumblebee wrote:*FALLS ON FLOOR*... He retracted it? Wow... Am I in the twilight zone? :confusion-helpsos:
Not the Twilight Zone but.....

[youtube]eduX27PflFo[/youtube]
Yep... I need to go lie down... :shifty:

Altair

Post by Altair »

Scented Nectar wrote: Ask me about what I told the bus driver who tried to withhold giving me a transfer with a "what do you say?"
What did you tell the bus driver who tried to withhold giving you a transfer with a "what do you say?" :)

welch

Post by welch »

codelette wrote:
HoneyWagon wrote: Some areas legitimately do not have many options for a variety of fresh food. I thankfully live near a ton of Mexican supermarkets, plus Costco, Trader Joes and Fresh and Easy. The farmer's markets in the Los Angeles area work as a group so that farmer's markets happen every day all over the city giving people a chance at fresh affordable food. The farmer's markets that have great income (like the one in Hollywood) helps subsidize markets in areas that need them. And this does not apply to most people here, but people that are homeless, living in cars or weekly hotels generally have no way to store foods that need refrigeration, so they are more likely to buy food that doesn't need this, like processed foods and fast foods.
Obviously not all people that are overweight are homeless, but just giving an example of a group that might have more of a reason for poor food in their diet.

The reasons people are overweight are varied. So many changes happened in the western diet or activity in the last few decades, that it is hard to pin it on one thing. I think the change in the USDA recommendations to reduce fat and increase carbs has something to do with it. With the desire for lower fat, we also got processed foods that had some form of sugar added to replace the fat so it would have some flavor. And just the increased eating of processed foods altogether.

I think most people would be successful with either a low carb/ high fat diet or a high carb/ low fat diet (whichever they think they are more likely to stick with for the long term) if in addition, they reduced processed foods and ate whole foods. Takes more time, but it is worth it.

I don't know about your current diet, but I would try to replace the canned veggies with fresh or frozen. Just less sodium and preservatives. You didn't ask for my opinion, but there it is.
My current diet includes fresh and frozen veggies. Canned veggies was the majority of the veggies that my parents bought when I was growing up. We also ate a lot of salted-dried protein (like codfish and herring).
I was talking about the section of poor people that are not destitute poor (homeless people and the like). Along the lines of illegal Hispanic laborers, they tend to eat pretty healthily.
My diet nowadays is very snobby. I have the money to buy wild-caught, local-this, grass-fed that...but I also go to the Mexican market a lot to get avocados, cilantro, beans, rice, etc. About three years ago, our income was way way lower; so bought almost everything from the Mexican/Asian grocers. Back then I had a budget of 65-75 USD per week to cook three meals a day for two adults. Ironically enough, it is when I cooked the healthiest.

PS. And yeah, I think the USDA fucked people up. I ignore them. I eat full fat. Low fat is for wimps (that's what my mom told me lol).
I didn't see an actual farmer's market until I was in my 20s. They didn't exist where I was.

LMU

Post by LMU »

Gumby wrote:Lsuoma, my vote: No karma thingy.
I vote against such things too, but will try to make best use of them if they are present. I don't like the popularity contest aspect, but if it makes it easier for people to find critical posts from the history of the thread, then I can see some value.

Altair

Post by Altair »

LMU wrote: I vote against such things too, but will try to make best use of them if they are present. I don't like the popularity contest aspect, but if it makes it easier for people to find critical posts from the history of the thread, then I can see some value.
As long as no one ends up crying and leaving because they won't stay in a forum where they are not deserving of thanks, I'm cool with it.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Altair wrote:
LMU wrote: I vote against such things too, but will try to make best use of them if they are present. I don't like the popularity contest aspect, but if it makes it easier for people to find critical posts from the history of the thread, then I can see some value.
As long as no one ends up crying and leaving because they won't stay in a forum where they are not deserving of thanks, I'm cool with it.
***HUG***

franc

Post by franc »

codelette wrote:

Notice also how the commenter wrote "lose weight" and she just talked about her inability to be thin. What? Bed-ridden obese individuals lose weight when doing exactly what the original commenter said. The regime is based on medical advice. Most of them never become thin individuals either, but they DO lose weight when calories are cut and exercise is added.
Funnily enough, @Ahmetspeaks just tweeted this -

https://twitpic.com/bsenl6

[spoiler]https://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/p ... oo9QESgmv8_[/spoiler]

franc

Post by franc »

Lsuoma wrote:
Altair wrote:
***HUG***
http://zipmeme.com/uploads/generated/g1 ... 624147.jpg

mikelf unplugged

Post by mikelf unplugged »

BarnOwl wrote:
Pathetic. Photoshopping Nugent's head to the body of a toad would be insulting to amphibians.

Meanwhile, Greta "please donate money for my cancer surgery" is waxing lyrical about Fluevogs:

[spoiler]
The shoes are enormously comfortable. John Fluevog knows what he’s doing: the heels I have from him are easily the most comfortable heels I own, and these new babies are almost like sneakers. And they’re definitely stylish. Again — John Fluevog knows what he’s doing.
But they’re also very quirky. They’re stylish and expressive, but they’re not conventionally pretty. They’re more than a little bit nerdy, and way more than a little old-fashioned. The very name of the shoe is “Pilgrim” — not exactly the apotheosis of feminine grace and sophistication. They carry strong overtones of “Wicked Witch of the West.”
And I realized: Maybe that’s exactly what I needed to break this conundrum.
Maybe, if I want dressy, stylish, comfortable women’s shoes, I need to re-define what I mean by “stylish.” Maybe I need to let go of “conventionally pretty.” Maybe I need to let go of conventional femininity. Maybe I need to let myself be a little old-fashioned. Maybe I need to let my stylishness be quirky, nerdy, witchy.
(I also maybe need to spend somewhat more than I normally do on shoes. That’s something Ingrid kept reminding me of when I was griping about my conundrum: more-expensive, higher-quality shoes tend to be more comfortable, and longer-lasting, as well as prettier. But when I think of how many pairs of useless ballerina flats I’ve bought in my life — and the amount of money I’ve wasted on them — the math on this totally adds up.)
[/spoiler]

You know, I genuinely enjoy reading most of Greta's fashion posts - not that I am remotely fashionable in my attire, but I just think some of the topics are interesting. However, I've yet to see her address "fashion on a budget" (perhaps because she doesn't worry about that) or the social justice issues associated with the fashion industry (perhaps because she doesn't care). I brought up the latter several times in the comments of one or two of her posts (as did some other commentators), but was ignored completely. Might have even been banninated, but I haven't tried commenting since.
Peezus Christ, this chaps my ass. How long ago was it that Greta was passing the hat because of economic concerns related to her cancer surgery? Now she is talking about buying $259 shoes? You know, I don't expect people to live as ascetics. I really don't have a problem with people spending their own damn money any way they choose. But, show a little discretion, for fuck's sake. After panhandling (presumably) to pay your mortgage, it shows a fair amount of disrespect for the contributors (many of whom live a far less privileged life than reGreta) to brag about the fancy shoes you just bought.

Fucking grifter.

codelette

Post by codelette »

welch wrote: I didn't see an actual farmer's market until I was in my 20s. They didn't exist where I was.
In Puerto Rico we called them "plaza del mercado". That's where all the poor people bought their produce and beef/chicken. They even had live chickens that got killed and cleaned for you when ordered. Middle class folks went to the supermarket.
Now hipsters and hippies are buying their food stuffs from "plaza del mercado". It is the cool thing to do. Very Portlandia.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

codelette wrote:

I think Marilove is indulging in "Fact shaming"

papillon

Post by papillon »

Oneiros666 wrote: Yes, because everyone haz to agrees that the police are all evil. Because society would be sooo much better without the police. Also, skeptics asking for evidence when presented with a claim are "hyper-skeptics" and this apparently teh badz. They (teh Police) are after all, as the first person to reply to Setar said, "counter-revolutionary" and we cannot have that can we?
[Angry rant]
'Counter revolutionary' oh purlease. These people boil my piss.
This is why I think 'Dear Muslima' was an entirely appropriate response to EG.
'Dear Muslima' was as extreme as Watson's complaint was petty.
It's difficult to trivialise something that is in and of itself trivial. Dawkins simply exposed it as such. He shouldn't even have offered further clarification.
In the same way, it would be appropriate to contrast Setar's 'oppression' and bedroom revolution at the hands of teh government thugs (Vancouver PD) to the situation on the streets of Tehran, where simply visiting an atheist forum requires an anonymous router and would put you at serious risk of real government thugs/morality police turning up to give you a beating. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basij
It's probably a good job that millions of young Iranians can't access A+ or these SJ sites. What the fuck they'd make of the first world whining I don't know.
Yes, it's extreme, but if anyone is guilty of trivialising anything, it's these cosseted morons waging their pseudo war on their imaginary oppressors.
This is Setar's mob (w/creepybittergrrl) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPgjE49qS1Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbgMBICOnFo
They have absolute freedom to take to the streets or the internet to continue their 'struggle' against the tyranny imposed on them by democratic free society.
Bang all the pots and pans you want, but don't try and say your free speech is being curtailed by government thugs only to later go home, log on to the uncensored internet, upload video of that days 'oppression' and brutalisation, then lecture others about 'privilege blindness'.
FFS, that shit's just embarrassing. [/angry fucking rant over]

codelette

Post by codelette »

franc wrote:
Funnily enough, @Ahmetspeaks just tweeted this -

https://twitpic.com/bsenl6

[spoiler]https://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/p ... oo9QESgmv8_[/spoiler]
I never understood how was it that the Patriarchy shames women into becoming Skeletors. My perception is that heterosexual men tend to prefer women with meat on top of their bones. To be crass: tits and ass is what they want.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Altair wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote: Ask me about what I told the bus driver who tried to withhold giving me a transfer with a "what do you say?"
What did you tell the bus driver who tried to withhold giving you a transfer with a "what do you say?" :)
It's happened 3 times over the many years of using Toronto's transit. After putting their fare in the box, a customer puts their hand out and the driver is supposed to give them a transfer. That's a slip of paper to show you've paid your fare when you're destination requires transferring between buses, streetcars and subways. One never has to speak, just hold out your hand.

One actually said "what do you say?" to me, but the others were something similar like "isn't there something you want to say first?". Each time this happened, I went immediately into very loud voice mode, but not very emotionally, more like a loud stern-faced robot. The whole bus/streetcar couldn't help but hear me. I told the drivers "I'M WAITING FOR A TRANSFER" as though they were deaf or absentminded (but knowing full well they meant 'please/thanks'), and when they still held back, I, still loudly, said something like "according to your training, you are NOT allowed to demand that people say 'please' or 'thank you' for their transfers. So, give me the transfer now. As you can see, my hand is out after putting in my fare, so that means you are supposed to give me a transfer. You have no right to demand any courtesy words from customers. It's against the rules of your job to do this to a customer..."

And on and on and on like a filibuster, each of the 3 times, until the fuckers just finally handed me the transfers. My memory is bad on what the drivers looked like. For all I know it maybe the same asshole and I've run into him 3 times over the years.

welch

Post by welch »

Oh Ellenbeth wants to have a go at me on nugent's post. I hope she enjoys my reply, mirrored here because no, I don't trust those twats:
MZ Wachs, if by "campaigning" you mean "I said, perhaps oh...three? times that I thought I had a legitimate topic for a session, (the lack of scepticism and critical thought in the computer press, a subject with which I am intimately familiar) and that if people are dissatisfied with the current "trendy" speakers they should get up off their hindquarters and do more than just complain", then no, that's still not a campaign, and I would suggest you avail yourself more of a dictionary. But thank you for admitting you regularly read the slymepit.

And yes, I am HIGHLY critical of groups like yours doing the piss-poor job they do of getting local speakers for their events, instead choosing a path most charitably described as "star-fucking" so that they don't have to do as much promotional work. I not only don't back down from it, I *double* down on that statement, and I say this as someone with actual experience in arranging speakers for conferences. It is not easy, but it is not impossible, and you should be ashamed for your continual ignoring of smart, local talent just so you can get "big" names on your speaker list.

Finally, it behooves me to note that along with your sub-par skills as a conference organizer, evidently "telling time" is not a skill you have much practice in, else you might have noticed that I posted my comment BEFORE Michael posted his retraction. If you have somehow figured out how to see into the future, I wonder why you are commenting here instead of collecting your Randi prize, and making billions via sports betting.

The rest of us are stuck in linear time, and must suffer it's limitations.

I am glad Michael pulled his head out and actually admitted error. I'm sad that he was so eager to be the white knight, he didn't do a better job of research in the first place, and that it took multiple attempts to get him to see that.

That "good deed" is further downgraded by his active, eager support of removing people from YouTube with whom his friends disagree. Funny now he supports their active bullying while decrying that supposed behavior in others. I'll close this by pointing out that if someone's YouTube channel says things you dislike, you can completely avoid said channel by not going to it. No one is forcing anyone to view a YouTube channel. But perhaps that concept is a bit too...mature...for Michael and his friends.
She should go back to making sex noises out her windows.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

codelette wrote:
I never understood how was it that the Patriarchy shames women into becoming Skeletors. My perception is that heterosexual men tend to prefer women with meat on top of their bones. To be crass: tits and ass is what they want.
As Frankie Boyle said about David Bekham having sex with his ultra thin wife Victoria Beckham "It would be like untangling two deck-chairs with your dick".

welch

Post by welch »

codelette wrote:
welch wrote: I didn't see an actual farmer's market until I was in my 20s. They didn't exist where I was.
In Puerto Rico we called them "plaza del mercado". That's where all the poor people bought their produce and beef/chicken. They even had live chickens that got killed and cleaned for you when ordered. Middle class folks went to the supermarket.
Now hipsters and hippies are buying their food stuffs from "plaza del mercado". It is the cool thing to do. Very Portlandia.

Oh they're awesome. I just didn't see one until I left Miami.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Michael Nugent
Well, his retraction is based on her not "admitting" it, so it's kind of weaselly.

Still, that's not going to stop a total assbag like Ophelia Benson and company from using this. We have the opportunity to watch a disingenuous A+ talking point as it disseminates like the clap through the echo chamber.

Take notes, people.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

LMU wrote:
I vote against such things too, but will try to make best use of them if they are present. I don't like the popularity contest aspect, but if it makes it easier for people to find critical posts from the history of the thread, then I can see some value.
I fucking hate the ratings thingie. It's distracting, and needless. I can see some forums operating on popularity contests, but not this one. In fact, that we can't fuck with it like the "spoiler" feature makes it useless.

Now, if the text could be customized so that it could read "Mykeru thanks Lsouma for pulling his head out", that would be something. As is, it's just tits on a bull.

franc

Post by franc »

Nugent has retracted his tweets to, but only after a prod or two. Again laudable, but still leaves behind the other gibberish aimed at TF -
Attachments
nugent_retracts_tweets.jpg
(59.87 KiB) Downloaded 287 times

franc

Post by franc »

Mykeru wrote:
LMU wrote:
I fucking hate the ratings thingie. It's distracting, and needless. I can see some forums operating on popularity contests, but not this one. In fact, that we can't fuck with it like the "spoiler" feature makes it useless.

Now, if the text could be customized so that it could read "Mykeru thanks Lsouma for pulling his head out", that would be something. As is, it's just tits on a bull.
More or less what Mykeru said. It would be nice to have important posts tagged in an easy to find manner, for newcomers to sift through.

papillon

Post by papillon »

welch wrote:I not only don't back down from it, I *double* down on that statement
Nice one Centurian, like it, like it [/life of Brian]

Karmakin

Post by Karmakin »

The problem with the whole harrassment thing is that they really should know better. There's nothing going on that's all that different from the things that have traditionally gone on...in the progressive blogosphere at that..(if one wants to see it as a progressive/libertarian conflict. I don't think it's that simple at all however). It's just using social media than more "traditional" blogs and forums. Wait. this is a forum. Never mind.

But really. I don't see much that's going on that's much different from say, Balloon Juice following and criticizing the latest from Andrew Sullivan or Megan McArdle. This is a pretty common practice in Blogosphere circles, and them saying that it's wrong in and of itself is just proof of how much privilege they're actually claiming here.

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

franc wrote:Nugent has retracted his tweets to, but only after a prod or two. Again laudable, but still leaves behind the other gibberish aimed at TF -
Another good step. Regardless of the veracity of his claims about Thunderfoot, I've always had a good opinion of him on the whole and this supports that. Hard to imagine any of the prominent FTBloggers doing something like this without much grinding of teeth.

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

EdgePenguin wrote:

Michael Nugent
That is a very rare thing to be seen in the pearl-clutchers trench. Kudos to Michael Nugent.
Holy crap. Do I win a prize?