In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

Old subthreads
feathers

Re: In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

Post by feathers »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Today, I had people stick a telescope up my ass and when I stopped threatening them they agreed it had the largest brain they had ever seen.
Believe me.
Seeing as it makes its way up through the muddy waters, that would be called a 'periscope'.
Could they spot the Tirpitz?

piginthecity

Post by piginthecity »

dogen wrote:Danielle's tweets are so awesome and insightful, she's decided to monetize them!

https://teespring.com/not-a-disagreemen ... &sid=front

:twatson:
It's notable that Danielle has chosen to reproduce the tweet as a tweet and not just the slogan part.

It's as if by wearing the shirt you are taking part in a tweet-war. The shirt-wearer and the shirt-reader can't interact with each other as person-to-person in meatspace by just talking, but rather that they need to validate their interaction by using the forms of twitter. Is he expecting that anybody commenting on the shirt would begin speaking with "At DanielleMuscato" and limit their reply to 140 characters ?

The only point of an offline conversation is to mimic an online one !

piginthecity

Post by piginthecity »

Guest_936d3dec wrote: motherboard vice.com/en_us/article/kzbm4a/employees-anti-diversity-manifesto-goes-internally-viral-at-google

"It's not worth thinking about this as an isolated incident and instead a manifestation of what ails all of Silicon Valley."
I'm not buying this at face value.

The main tell is the bit about 'ideological diversity'. That bit is fake because it makes no sense for a software engineer to care about ideology in terms of workmates. Now, if he or she was saying that the company's recruitment policy was favouring a candidate's ideology over their ability to do the job, then that would be a coherent complaint, but the answer would of course be to ignore ideology and focus on ability/track record solely, not to try to balance employees ideologies. In the context of software engineering, 'ideological diversity' is an utterly meaningless concept.

The other point is that the author of this piece apparently buys into the concept of a "representation gap". This is wrong because software engineers are not their to represent anybody else of their own demographic. They are there to write code. They are doing it as individuals to make a living. There are no representatives. There is no gap.

The supposed author of this piece accepts the 'representation gap' and also buys in to the idea that he must come up with a sweeping generalised explanation for the gap, or otherwise the explanation would default to 'discrimination'. In doing this, he has conceded the main point to the 'diversity' brigade even before he has begun explaining his "biological determinism" theories.

Our individualistic viewpoint has no need for any biological determinism. We can simply support the idea of all individuals being judged on merit and companies employing the most productive without discrimination. We can observe that it is striking how many examples there are of professions which one or other of the sexes have only a few members which have an interest in pursuing without necessarily thinking that this is a bad thing at all, or even needs to be explained, so long as people of whatever sex, who have an interest, are given a fair deal.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Anybody at the Pit familiar with some goon called Nick Robinson - a games journalist for Polygon?

Well, it turns out the whisper mill has gone into overdrive about how he is creepy and weird around women, and the pitchforks are out.

The fact he works for Polygon suggests he's a SJW, so it is a case of "I told you so", but you know how the environment encourages this sort of anonymous nonsense.

But, you gotta "listen and believe", and when it comes to listening and believing accusations against SJWs and journalists who work for Polygon, I'm all aboard!

Malky

Post by Malky »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:A triple. Picture my...fuckit.
You obviously wish they would do it more often :think:

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

CommanderTuvok wrote: But, you gotta "listen and believe", and when it comes to listening and believing accusations against SJWs and journalists who work for Polygon, I'm all aboard!
"Listen and believe" plus "the telephone game" equals witch hunt.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

I'm baffled by SJW objections to "Confederate", the HBO alternate history fiction about the Civil War were the south won. (Though not baffled by being baffled; I'm used to that wrt. SJWs). Perhaps they think HBO will glorify slavery? Isn't Handmaid's Tale alternate history based on extrapolating a real-world oppressive state into dystopia? I'm not really seeing the major distinction between HT, which is celebrated by SJWs, and Confederate.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Hunt wrote:I'm baffled by SJW objections to "Confederate", the HBO alternate history fiction about the Civil War were the south won. (Though not baffled by being baffled; I'm used to that wrt. SJWs). Perhaps they think HBO will glorify slavery? Isn't Handmaid's Tale alternate history based on extrapolating a real-world oppressive state into dystopia? I'm not really seeing the major distinction between HT, which is celebrated by SJWs, and Confederate.
The distinction is that the Handmaid's Tale is projected in the future, so SocJus activists can use it as scaremongering ("Cuts to Planned Parenthood are Just Like the Handmaid's Tale! Rape culture! Patriarchy! We need more quotas for women among millionaire CEOs! Buy our feminist products! Subscribe to our feminist website!") while Confederate is about a past event that was avoided, and so the general reaction isn't "it might happen" but "thankfully it didn't happen".

All art is political for the SocJus, and "politics" means "complaining that We Live in the Worst of Times". "Confederate" shows that this isn't the Worst of Times, that history could have actually gone much worse, and so that complaining about "microaggressions" maybe isn't such a big deal. That's anathema to the SocJus.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

A lot of SocJus scaremongering is based on false equivalence, the "Just as Bad" principle:

-mean words on the Internet ("you're a liar/you suck") as Just as Bad as sexual harassment in real life

-sexual harassment is Just as Bad as rape

-vaguely insensitive comments are Just as Bad as KKK-style racism

-disagreement about these issues is Just as Bad as hate speech

-limits on immigration are Just as Bad as Nazism

-attractive women in video games or on shirts are Just as Bad as treating real life women like objects

etc. etc. Even when there are legitimate concerns and arguments to be made the SocJus fans trot out false equivalences, in a misguided attempt to make their case stronger.

Guest_84d94f98

Post by Guest_84d94f98 »

CommanderTuvok wrote:Anybody at the Pit familiar with some goon called Nick Robinson - a games journalist for Polygon?

Well, it turns out the whisper mill has gone into overdrive about how he is creepy and weird around women, and the pitchforks are out.

The fact he works for Polygon suggests he's a SJW, so it is a case of "I told you so", but you know how the environment encourages this sort of anonymous nonsense.

But, you gotta "listen and believe", and when it comes to listening and believing accusations against SJWs and journalists who work for Polygon, I'm all aboard!
No hits on deepfreeze.it for him. And polygon was on gamer gate's shit list. Maybe he was one of the ones saw which way the winds were blowing and kept his trap shut.

deepfreeze.it/journo.php

Guest_84d94f98

Post by Guest_84d94f98 »

Shit lord is telling one of his two female roommates to get back into the kitchen.
Lazy ass thinks she can just make sammiches where ever.

-Soylent

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Got me a free copy of SJWs always lie.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

So here's like a thing that's like...

Dr Who right

The black lesbian character people have been bitching about?

I legit think she's probably my favourite companion of all of them

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Hunt wrote:I'm baffled by SJW objections to "Confederate", the HBO alternate history fiction about the Civil War were the south won. (Though not baffled by being baffled; I'm used to that wrt. SJWs). Perhaps they think HBO will glorify slavery? Isn't Handmaid's Tale alternate history based on extrapolating a real-world oppressive state into dystopia? I'm not really seeing the major distinction between HT, which is celebrated by SJWs, and Confederate.
The distinction is that the Handmaid's Tale is projected in the future, so SocJus activists can use it as scaremongering ("Cuts to Planned Parenthood are Just Like the Handmaid's Tale! Rape culture! Patriarchy! We need more quotas for women among millionaire CEOs! Buy our feminist products! Subscribe to our feminist website!") while Confederate is about a past event that was avoided, and so the general reaction isn't "it might happen" but "thankfully it didn't happen".

All art is political for the SocJus, and "politics" means "complaining that We Live in the Worst of Times". "Confederate" shows that this isn't the Worst of Times, that history could have actually gone much worse, and so that complaining about "microaggressions" maybe isn't such a big deal. That's anathema to the SocJus.
Amazon Prime's The Man in the High Castle isn't set in the future. It's set in the Sixties. And it's literally got literal Hitler in it. Literally.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Kirbmarc wrote:A lot of SocJus scaremongering is based on false equivalence, the "Just as Bad" principle:

-mean words on the Internet ("you're a liar/you suck") as Just as Bad as sexual harassment in real life

-sexual harassment is Just as Bad as rape

-vaguely insensitive comments are Just as Bad as KKK-style racism

-disagreement about these issues is Just as Bad as hate speech

-limits on immigration are Just as Bad as Nazism

-attractive women in video games or on shirts are Just as Bad as treating real life women like objects

etc. etc. Even when there are legitimate concerns and arguments to be made the SocJus fans trot out false equivalences, in a misguided attempt to make their case stronger.
Everything is binary. Equally bad or equally good. It's at one pole or the other. Except gender. Gender has no poles because reasons.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

The whole point of Civil War alternative history is how shitty slavery is.

Nobody writes alternative history because they are interested in how the cotton industry might have turned out.

It's almost certainly going to feature rebellions and underground railways, which will put black actors in prominent heroic roles. It's not going to be a advertisement for 'house niggers'.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

They are the Social Justice Warriors, the SJWs, the self-appointed thought police who have been running amok throughout the West since the dawn of the politically correct era in the 1990s. Their defining characteristics:

a philosophy of activism for activism’s sake
a dedication to rooting out behavior they deem problematic, offensive, or unacceptable in others
a custom of primarily identifying individuals by their sex, race, and sexual orientation
a hierarchy of intrinsic morality based on the identity politics of sex, race, and sexual orientation
a quasi-religious belief in equality, diversity, and the inevitability of progress
an assumption of bad faith on the part of all non-social justice warriors
an opinion that motivation matters more than consequences
a certainty that they are the only true and valid defenders of the oppressed
a habit of demanding that their opinions be enshrined as social customs and law
a tendency to possess a left-wing political identity
a willingness to deny science, history, logic, their past words, or any other aspect of reality that contradicts their current Narrative.
From SJW always lie

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Reading this book I feel like autists are our best weapon against SJWs

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Maybe my prejudice is showing...but it's Vox Dei, is it not?

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Shatterface wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:

Amazon Prime's The Man in the High Castle isn't set in the future. It's set in the Sixties. And it's literally got literal Hitler in it. Literally.
Germany has acknowledged his role in the Holocaust, while the US still haven't fully acknowledged their role in promoting slavery, because they're not even willing to pay reparations to the descendants of slaves. <Actual argument used against "Confederate" on twitter.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Shatterface wrote:The whole point of Civil War alternative history is how shitty slavery is.

Nobody writes alternative history because they are interested in how the cotton industry might have turned out.
There must be a least a few people in Manchester with enough of an interest in the history of the cotton industry to write a counter-factual concerning the American Civil War and it's effect on the trade with England.

Or maybe you have spotted a niche in the market.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Shatterface wrote:The whole point of Civil War alternative history is how shitty slavery is.

It's almost certainly going to feature rebellions and underground railways, which will put black actors in prominent heroic roles. It's not going to be a advertisement for 'house niggers'.
It doesn't matter. It will promote the idea that today's America is even simply relatively better than Confederate America, instead of being Just As Bad (New Jim Crow, "microaggressions", etc.).

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

rayshul wrote:So here's like a thing that's like...

Dr Who right

I quite liked the penguin.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Kirbmarc wrote:

It doesn't matter. It will promote the idea that today's America is even simply relatively better than Confederate America, instead of being Just As Bad (New Jim Crow, "microaggressions", etc.).
I couldn't believe that could possibly be their argument, then I read the go-to article on it:

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainme ... te/535512/

Yes, that is basically the argument. So you wonder what importance they place on the fact that the Confederacy was defeated? No, we don't live in a racial utopia with butterflies floating over green grass, but I don't see how anyone could conclude that America would be unspeakably worse today, if the South had won-- that is, whatever political entity the South would have become. If I were to guess, it would have ended up as somewhat similar to Apartheid South Africa dialed to eleven and probably would have taken about as long to disband. It's interesting grounds for an alternative history though.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

* could NOT conclude that America....

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

HelpingHand wrote:Public plea: Would the BC pitters quit sending their smoke to Oregon?

Between 20% humidity from our recent heat wave and the heavy smoke layer the Talking Pretty Heads on TV are blaming on BC forest fires, HelpingHand no longer has functional lungs.

Speaking of BC, perchance any Pitter going to be around Abbotsford for the airshow?
Assuming the smoke is still thick, I hope you have a nice time listening to the planes.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Kirbmarc wrote:A clarification: I'm obviously not defending any kind of colonial rule. They were all brutal (whether they were European or not) and all created and promoted human right abuses (the "civilizing mission" excuse of the Europeans was a pathetic excuse for exploitation, just like the "community of believers" excuse of the Ottoman Empire).

Also I'm not claiming that Christianity was better than Islam at dealing with the issue of rape. Both in Christianity and in Islam rape wasn't a crime against the victim, it was a crime against the victim's honor, namely their "respectability" as a woman who didn't engage in extramarital sex.

Claiming to have been rape was a way to excuse a woman from losing her honor by saying that she didn't consent to the extramarital sex, so her morality was still impeccable. Marriage after rape was considered a way to restore honor.

Female victims of rape were glorified if they took their lives after the act, to "cleanse" themselves of the "fate worse than death". If they survived they were actually vilified, and the shadow of a doubt could easily ruin their reputation (nobody wanted to buy "damaged goods").

The idea that rape isn't an offense against honor or against the institute of marriage but a crime against a person, which is heinous because of the physical and psychological pain it inflicts on the victims, not because it infringes their social honor, is a very recent one, which doesn't come from either Christianity or Islam but from the Enlightenment concept of human right, of representation through a legal system in which the accused and the accuser both have legal rights, plus decades of studies of psychotherapy.

The SocJus ideas about a "rape culture" are actually a regression from individual rights and responsibilities, they're an attempt to create a new kind of "shame culture" where it's men who have to defend their "honor" from accusations of sexually improper behavior done outside of the justice system by Internet vigilantes.

The SocJus is just as obsessed with "modesty" and "honor" as Islam or Christianity, as it is shown from the SocJus calls for informal censorship of "sexist" video games or advertising.
You might find this interesting: The Evolution of Pattern of Criminalizing the Unknown Crime of Rape in Global Scale at the Penn State Law eLibrary.
A Dissertation in Law By Sahar Jalili Submitted for the Degree of Doctor of Juridical Science
With Supervision Professor Kit Kinports
(formatting issue is mine as centering does not appear to be a thing unless I use code tags?)

Anyway.

The very first citation is ....
1 Catherine Mackinnon, Feminism unmodified: discourses on life and law, 81, 83 (1987)
As may be suspected by now, all the usual suspects are assembled, example the 1 in 5 of all women are raped business. Despite the mackish acknowledgement at the start, overall the prose is pretty good for a feminist. I say this because many/most feminist papers, the ones I have read at rate, are usually muddled messes.
Many ancient laws were established to protect the male interest in female virginity and
fidelity.44 These laws did not protect all women; rather, their intent was to protect only those
women who were considered to be beneficial to the society, which was patriarchal and
prioritized male interests above all others.
Feminists are idiots. What man wants to raise children who are not his own? Oh wait, some guy like this I guess?

https://img.washingtonpost.com/wp-apps/ ... jpg&w=1484

If you want to read more about this cuck (grade A, first class) see here: My wife and I are white evangelicals. Here’s why we chose to give birth to black triplets. OK so it is a solid pair. The two of them are in this together. Or not. No way to tell if he has sex with his wife at all. Whatever.

Back to the paper:
Hammurabi’s Code is
evidence of the patriarchal belief that the criminal justice system must work only to preserve the
“purity” of women within society.
What is wrong with these people? It is very simple. A woman always knows it is her child. A man is not always so certain. These laws came about because men generally want to be assured that there is a good chance that the child they are providing for is actually their own.
The execution of the attacker was considered an appropriate
response because the rapist threatened a husband’s, or future husband’s, control and access over
his wife. By making the punishment so extreme, the Code supported the exclusive control of
women by their husbands.46 The Code, however, had a double standard for rape. If a married
woman were raped, she faced the same punishment (death) as her attacker, unless her husband
intervened to save her life
Ayup. The attacker was committing theft. So kill him. Possibly the wife was complicit and consensual and it became rape when they were caught. Who can tell? OK so we kill the wife too as a precaution. Oh the husband is such a cuck he wants to keep her anyway? OK. But you stuck with her now boy. And you going to provide for that child even if you change your mind because it is the spitting image of the rapist.

Some women are like that. How many? Dunno. The manosphere contends that it is all women. Or so many women that the ones who are not makes little to no difference at all.

In Italy there was a murder investigation that turned up multiple cases of children with misidentified 'fathers". A summry may be found here Too bad I do not have a link to a really good article on the case because it went more deeply into the hidden 'relationships' including one man as I recall (perhaps imperfectly) where none of the four children were his.

On the other hand Razib Khan has been saying for years that undocumented paternity is not that common like this article The paternity myth: the rarity of cuckoldry
What are the real numbers? Zuck asserts that they’re more in the 1-5% range, with 3.7% being a high-bound figure for one study. This varies by culture and socioeconomic group, and the segment of the population being surveyed. Studies which rely on a data set consisting of men who have requested paternity tests are strongly sample biased toward those who have a reason to have suspicions.
So the Manosphere is wrong, and that theory is shot down in flames. But here I manage a comeback while effectively distracting from the fact that I was like wrong to note:

Doh!

Thas because men did such a good job of killing women predisposed to infidelity that not too many were able to pass on that trait.
See? It makes sense. Man successfully domesticated women. That is why women give men no problems today. It is religion science we have to thank for this.

Anyway, back to the paper. I have not finished reading it.

But I will.

Because even though this emerging feminist is filled to the brim with the usual verbiage about man being the root of all evil and colonialism and patriarchy and so on, it does appear to have some useful information amidst the usual blather.

(Ever notice that this business about man being the root of all evil, is just an inversion of the cross cultural idea that women are evil?)

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Hunt wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:

I couldn't believe that could possibly be their argument, then I read the go-to article on it:

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainme ... te/535512/

Yes, that is basically the argument. So you wonder what importance they place on the fact that the Confederacy was defeated? No, we don't live in a racial utopia with butterflies floating over green grass, but I don't see how anyone could conclude that America would be unspeakably worse today, if the South had won-- that is, whatever political entity the South would have become. If I were to guess, it would have ended up as somewhat similar to Apartheid South Africa dialed to eleven and probably would have taken about as long to disband. It's interesting grounds for an alternative history though.
There are still issues with race in the US, but they're mostly due to differential rates of income and with social ills in poor urban communities than with a cabal of white supremacist within US institutions. Police brutality, private prisons and the War on Drugs are creating a lot of trouble for black communities in the US, but the differential rates of troubles causes by these issues is more due to the fact that crime in poor, socially troubled urban communities is high and that there are more poor, socially troubled urban black communities than white ones.

Poor, socially troubled urban white people are as likely as poor, socially troubled urban black people to face issues with a justice system more focused on incarceration, criminalization and profit rather than with dealing with social issues.

The US justice system needs fixing, but it's not "new slavery". Rich or even middle-class black people aren't as affected by it as poor black people. To make some extreme examples, Condoleeza RIce or Barack Obama or Oprah Winfrey or Alan Keyes may experience some rude treatment by some racists, but their wealth and social connections makes them far more privileged than a poor white man living in West Virginia, less likely to get in trouble with the law, and far more likely to get a good lawyers if they do. Hell they can make the lives of a white racist who treats them rudely quite unpleasant if they want to.

This is very different from a "One Drop Rule" system where all people with even minimal known Sub-Saharan African descent were at least second-class citizens (Jim Crow) or liable to be enslaved.

Basically privilege today is more about money and social status than about race. But saying this is anathema to the fans of Critical Race Theory, whose aim is to show that "nothing has changed" and that microaggressions are Just As Bad as slavery or the Jim Crow system.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

AndrewV69 wrote:
<snip>

Back to the paper:
Hammurabi’s Code is
evidence of the patriarchal belief that the criminal justice system must work only to preserve the
“purity” of women within society.
What is wrong with these people? It is very simple. A woman always knows it is her child. A man is not always so certain. These laws came about because men generally want to be assured that there is a good chance that the child they are providing for is actually their own.
The execution of the attacker was considered an appropriate
response because the rapist threatened a husband’s, or future husband’s, control and access over
his wife. By making the punishment so extreme, the Code supported the exclusive control of
women by their husbands.46 The Code, however, had a double standard for rape. If a married
woman were raped, she faced the same punishment (death) as her attacker, unless her husband
intervened to save her life
Ayup. The attacker was committing theft. So kill him. Possibly the wife was complicit and consensual and it became rape when they were caught. Who can tell? OK so we kill the wife too as a precaution. Oh the husband is such a cuck he wants to keep her anyway? OK. But you stuck with her now boy. And you going to provide for that child even if you change your mind because it is the spitting image of the rapist.
<snip>
Oh, I understand that the foundation of the "Purity Laws" was avoiding cuckoldry, not just because men are hard-wired to do so, but also because since sons inherit from their fathers the family of the father had every interest to avoid giving away their money to the son of Guy Incognito, especially if Guy Incognito could, after the death of Cuck Father, pop up again and claim the child as his own.

There's no need for purity laws to avoid raising someone else's children today, though. You just need a paternity test.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Dr Who right

Have to agree. It was clearly a bit of in-your-face tokenism, but it was saved by the fact that Pearl Mackie is a really fucking good actress - to the end that I (and plenty of others, it seems) really bought into Bill as a three dimensional human as opposed to an issue-driven gimmick. I reckon there's an Oscar in that gal's future.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

AndrewV69 wrote: Feminists are idiots. What man wants to raise children who are not his own? Oh wait, some guy like this I guess?

https://img.washingtonpost.com/wp-apps/ ... jpg&w=1484

If you want to read more about this cuck (grade A, first class) see here: My wife and I are white evangelicals. Here’s why we chose to give birth to black triplets. OK so it is a solid pair. The two of them are in this together. Or not. No way to tell if he has sex with his wife at all. Whatever.
There is something beautiful and enriching being the only white face sitting and chatting with some of my African-American friends as my son gets his hair cut on a Saturday morning.
It's beautiful and enriching because he is the only white face there? If there were more white faces it would be less beautiful and enriching? It seems he is feeling pretty good about the fact he's so tolerant, unpredjucided and generally wonderful.

And I thought his god had a problem with prideful people.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

HelpingHand wrote:Public plea: Would the BC pitters quit sending their smoke to Oregon?

Between 20% humidity from our recent heat wave and the heavy smoke layer the Talking Pretty Heads on TV are blaming on BC forest fires, HelpingHand no longer has functional lungs.

Speaking of BC, perchance any Pitter going to be around Abbotsford for the airshow?
I'm hundreds of miles west of the nearest fire and it's like Mordor here. I'm surprised the smoke is as far south as Orgone too.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote:Today, I had people stick a telescope up my ass and when I stopped threatening them they agreed it had the largest brain they had ever seen.
Believe me.
They must have given you some pain medication...hopefully the "brain" isn't malignant. I have to be spelunked yearly. Picture my joy. :bjarte:
So far I have to go back in 3 years. That yearly thing sounds really shitty. :rimshot:

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:
Believe me.
They must have given you some pain medication...hopefully the "brain" isn't malignant. I have to be spelunked yearly. Picture my joy. :bjarte:
So far I have to go back in 3 years. That yearly thing sounds really shitty. :rimshot:
Years ago Israeli doctors were developing a tiny pill-sized camera you could swallow, and it would take pictures of your innards all the way through. Haven't heard anything more about it.

Must be the Nazis.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Hunt wrote: Years ago Israeli doctors were developing a tiny pill-sized camera you could swallow, and it would take pictures of your innards all the way through. Haven't heard anything more about it.

Must be the Nazis.
Capsule enteroscopy - widely available now. Obviously the Nazis decided to promote it.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

The US has led the field in endoscopy since the Sixties.

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/i ... e_7811.jpg

GenerallyFading

Post by GenerallyFading »

Tigzy wrote:

Dr Who right

Have to agree. It was clearly a bit of in-your-face tokenism, but it was saved by the fact that Pearl Mackie is a really fucking good actress - to the end that I (and plenty of others, it seems) really bought into Bill as a three dimensional human as opposed to an issue-driven gimmick. I reckon there's an Oscar in that gal's future.
Yeah. one of the reasons I loved series 10 so much was the total reboot from overpowering nauseating Clara Oswald. I mean, I really enjoyed "Face the Raven" (she finally died), "Heaven sent" (nearly an entire blissful hour without a word from her) and "Hell Bent" (when we were teased with the possibility she might come back and then at least could settle for the fact that she wouldn't ever return. And they've managed to fuck that up with the Christmas Special, but hey, I'll forgive Capaldi for leaving if it means Clara just GOES ALREADY!!). Bill was an excellent choice, completely human and not so stupid you wondered how she survived any story with the Doctor. She made me laugh and cry (loved the "You moved on" speech) and the only thing that jarred was the fake regeneration scene. I'd have had another go at shooting him just for terrifying the shit out of me. It's not like she'd seen a regeneration, she'd have had no idea what was going on. There was a bit too much of her in "Knock Knock" - reminded me of the Clara Oswald show - but then they toned that back. I'll look forward to her appearance in the Christmas Special - I want her to choose being human again.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Which certainly has helped to deal with the problem of internalised National Socialism

pro-boxing-fan
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by pro-boxing-fan »

piginthecity wrote:Is Casablanca in the category of 'Film Noir'. I would say no. Too Lovey-Dovey, too much life affirmation and too much music.

Take some advice from an old fart
memorise this and you'll go far
"Just 'cos it features Humphrey Bogart
Doesn't mean ergo it's film noir."
Well, you're right. Its not listed as a film noir on IMDB. Im the one who assumed it fit the genre because of tropes like the obscure anti-hero, the mood and the settings (a nest full of spies), etc.

I stand corrected.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

:nin: !! Fuck you Ape.
baby_dicky.jpg
(87.14 KiB) Downloaded 160 times

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

I'm also baffled. It's an SJW wet dream. It gets to show white people being evil, and black people being both victims and brave resistance fighters. A few years ago there was a clever mockumentary called CSA: Confederate States of America, that had the same premise. I enjoyed it, but I'm not interested in HBO's new show.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Today's my first wedding anniversary! Things are going well so far, except we both put on weight. I said goodbye to my abs a few of months ago. I take responsibility as I do the majority of the cooking. Also being on the road 12+ weeks a year doesn't help.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

Guest_936d3dec wrote: motherboard vice.com/en_us/article/kzbm4a/employees-anti-diversity-manifesto-goes-internally-viral-at-google

"It's not worth thinking about this as an isolated incident and instead a manifestation of what ails all of Silicon Valley."

At least eight Google employees tweeted Friday about a document that was circulated within the company calling for replacing Google's diversity initiatives with policies that encourage "ideological diversity" instead. The document, which is the personal opinion of one senior software engineer, was shared on a company mailing list but has since gone "internally viral," according to a Google employee who spoke with Motherboard.

Motherboard has not viewed the full document, but a screenshot we reviewed shows it's titled "Google's Ideological Echo Chamber."

The person who wrote the document argued that the representation gap between men and women in software engineering persists because of biological differences between the two sexes, according to public tweets from Google employees. It also said Google should not offer programs for underrepresented racial or gender minorities, according to one of the employees I spoke to.

The 10-page Google Doc document was met with derision from a large majority of employees who saw and denounced its contents, according to the employee. But Jaana Dogan, a software engineer at Google, tweeted that some people at the company at least partially agreed with the author; one of our sources said the same.

"The broader context of this is that this person is perhaps bolder than most of the people at Google who share his viewpoint—of thinking women are less qualified than men—to the point he was willing to publicly argue for it. But there are sadly more people like him," the employee who described the document's contents to me said.
Motherboard has independently confirmed with multiple Google employees that the document is being widely shared among many of the company's software engineering teams: "If I had to guess, almost every single woman in engineering has seen it," the current employee told Motherboard; a separate current employee told me it was being actively read by many employees. At several points on Friday night, the document was inaccessible because too many people were attempting to view it concurrently. Google did not respond to two requests for comment.
A lot of Google software engineers might well agree with the premise of the paper, but you'll only hear from the violently opposed and virtue signallers. My youngest brother is a manager in software engineering, most of them tend to be realists and being realistic it's not hard to see there are differences between people. Google has a tendency to overreact to perceptions of their company, so it might get ugly for the paper's author.

Eskarina

Post by Eskarina »

I was simply scrolling down the thread, minding my own business, when I came across this abomination. Eeeeew, eeeeeeewwwwww, eeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwww.

It's one of your master pieces. I bow to you. :clap:

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

pro-boxing-fan wrote:
piginthecity wrote:Is Casablanca in the category of 'Film Noir'. I would say no. Too Lovey-Dovey, too much life affirmation and too much music.

Well, you're right. Its not listed as a film noir on IMDB. Im the one who assumed it fit the genre because of tropes like the obscure anti-hero, the mood and the settings (a nest full of spies), etc.

I stand corrected.
Do not be concerned by such pedantry!

Bridges of Spies
The Man from U.N.C.L.E
Kingsman: the Secret Service.
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.

And an actual film noir: Color of Night.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

katamari Damassi wrote:Today's my first wedding anniversary! Things are going well so far, except we both put on weight. I said goodbye to my abs a few of months ago. I take responsibility as I do the majority of the cooking. Also being on the road 12+ weeks a year doesn't help.
Congrats! Ours is for September 23rd. I'm fucking fat too, but I blame it on the hip injury. Makes me feel better about myself.

CaptainFluffyBunny

katamari Damassi wrote:Today's my first wedding anniversary! Things are going well so far, except we both put on weight. I said goodbye to my abs a few of months ago. I take responsibility as I do the majority of the cooking. Also being on the road 12+ weeks a year doesn't help.
Congratulations. Not on the gaining weight bit, but that happens to the best of us. Many more (anniversaries, not pounds) to come for you both.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

I'm hundreds of miles west of the nearest fire and it's like Mordor here. I'm surprised the smoke is as far south as Orgone too.
It's definitely Accumulating there. Anyone?

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

pro-boxing-fan wrote:

I stand corrected.
I highly recommend Godard's Breathless and Alphaville.

Perhaps not officially film noir, but definitely film noir-influenced.

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Congrats! Ours is for September 23rd. I'm fucking fat too, but I blame it on the hip injury. Makes me feel better about myself.
Marriage?

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/oh-shi.gif

CaptainFluffyBunny

Lsuoma wrote:

It's definitely Accumulating there. Anyone?
If you mean the smoke from the fires, it's definitely hazy here, it was absolutely dense on Thursday. My youngest said sadly "all that used to be trees and animals."

Guest_936d3dec

Post by Guest_936d3dec »

I really enjoy this tweet.

Jaana wants HR to take care of the wrong think expressed in a Google Doc being circulated. She got some pushback via twitter, and has had to block those people.

When ideology >>>>> reason, this is what we get.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Bhurzum wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Marriage?

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/oh-shi.gif
1st anniversary. We've had sex since then. Promise!

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:1st anniversary. We've had sex since then. Promise!
You'd be a poor excuse for a Frenchman if you hadn't!

http://s2.dmcdn.net/W2hX.jpg

:lol:

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

rayshul wrote:Got me a free copy of SJWs always lie.
Almost as bad as Muslims ... ;-) Seems religion and ideology is a more or less common element, at least as evidenced by Ignatius Loyola's "That we may be altogether of the same mind and in conformity[...], if [the Church] shall have defined anything to be black which to our eyes appears to be white, we ought in like manner to pronounce it to be black."

But some amusing elements in the Amazon summary:
Written by Vox Day, Supreme Dark Lord of the Evil Legion of Evil and three-time Hugo nominee who is described as the most hated man in science fiction by Black Gate and The Wall Street Journal, SJWS ALWAYS LIE is a powerful weapon in the cultural war against the thought police.
And, in other news and to kill two birds with a single stone, relative to your earlier post about Two white women launch ‘White Nonsense Roundup’ to unburden people of color, some interesting observations on the topic from Anjuli Pandavar over at FTB:
Racism is racism is racism. There is no such thing as “reverse racism” or “inverted racism”. Political Correctness, multiculturalism and identity politics not only lend cover to racism (except, of course, if the racist is white), but encourages it, entrenches it and applauds it.

I’ve heard it said that blacks cannot be racist. By that score, Robert Mugabe isn’t racist and nor is Johnny E. Williams and nor is Linda Sarsour (I think she might fall under “People of Color,” and hence also cleared to be as racist as she likes). Men are expected to call out sexist remarks by other men, and many men, to their credit, do just that. When will blacks call out racist remarks by other blacks? Whites are expected to call out racist remarks by other whites. When will whites call out racist remarks by blacks? Granted, whites will seldom be exposed to more than the tip of the black racist iceberg, Johnny E. Williams being a rare glimpse of the depth of it. In all-black company, conversation is often peppered with casual racism, sometimes pretty vile stuff, and not only towards whites, but also towards blacks who fail to demonstrate the requisite racism towards whites, especially black women in relationships with white men.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

You might be interested in the B.C. Air Quality Index which shows Comox/Courtney at about 7 ("High Risk"). And the BC Active Wildfires website provides details on locations and sizes; for USians, there are some 260 hectares to the square mile - the Elephant Hill fire to the east of Kamloops is some 300 square miles.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Steersman wrote: <snip> the Elephant Hill fire to the east west of Kamloops is some 300 square miles.
My kingdom for an Edit button ...