In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

Old subthreads
jugheadnaut

Re: In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

Post by jugheadnaut »

Kirbmarc wrote: That is linked to the problems of externalities, which is the biggest flaw of a purely libertarian system.
In economics, an externality is the cost or benefit that affects a party who did not choose to incur that cost or benefit.[1] Economists often urge governments to adopt policies that "internalize" an externality, so that costs and benefits will affect mainly parties who choose to incur them.[2]
I wonder if you've done much reading of libertarian economics (e.g. Friedman, Hayek, Von Mises). Externalities have a long history of being accepted and absorbed within libertarian thought. The libertarian solution is contained right in your quote, that it's a proper governmernt role to internalize externalities to the most practicable extent practicable. Since inflicting an externality on someone without their consent is a form of force, this easily falls under the broadly accepted libertarian role of government.
Kirbmarc wrote: Basically building a road is something that benefits anyone who lives in areas reached by the road or who benefit of the services of the road, not just the people who routinely use the road for travelling. By privatizing a road the costs are paid only by those who use it, while people who do not use it but receive benefits from the existence of the road do not pay for it. This means that those who use the road need to pay more to build and maintain it.
This is known as the free rider problem, and you're certainly correct that it's a strong argument in favor of at least some government role in road construction. An even stronger consideration is that of natural monopolies. In most cases, it is either physically impossible or economically impracticable to build the same road or network of roads twice, so if there was private development only, a monopoly would result. If a monopoly is the inexorable result, there's a strong argument for government regulation at the very least. There's no standard libertarian viewpoint on natural monopolies. Some believe the cure is worse than the disease, while others are fully on board that it's a valid rationale for government regulation (although, admittedly, you do have to stretch the definition of force to make this work).
Kirbmarc wrote: libertarianism is just not plausible (among many issues there's the problem of externalities, which is why many libertarians buy into the idea that anthropogenic global warming is a "hoax")
Very rare for you, a complete non-sequitur. How does the existence of externalities cause libertarians to believe global warming is a hoax? In fact, the majority of libertarians fall into the "lukewarmer" camp in the vernacular of the debate, and they regard the hoax thing as a yokel argument.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Eskarina wrote:So the Black Block is really the Block of Colour?
It's only logical.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

feathers wrote:
It's only logical.
Technically black is a lack of color, therefore Block of Lack of Color, POC is really POLOC
:rimshot:

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
feathers wrote:
It's only logical.
Technically black is a lack of color, therefore Block of Lack of Color, POC is really POLOC

Would coloured block be considered racist?

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Since someone mentioned Dave Rubin on the last page - this may be of interest.

And it may also raise Bhurzum's blood pressure...

I wonder if it's like English accents sounding exotic to an American ear - so that people such as Hopkins can go an re-invent themselves...

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
feathers wrote:
It's only logical.
If you want to get technical, that's why yellow people can only be truly racist against purple people, and white people can't be racist at all as they don't exist.

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/ ... 65ab08.jpg

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Technically black is a lack of color, therefore Block of Lack of Color, POC is really POLOC
Does this mean that due to his skin bleaching shenanigans, Michael Jackson was a...Jackson POLOC?

Guest_1583c6c2

Post by Guest_1583c6c2 »

Is Katie Hopkins still lying about her age? She was 37 for about 5 years at one point. I'm mid 30s. No way she has less than a decade on me.

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

MarcusAu wrote:And it may also raise Bhurzum's blood pressure...
Hardly.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Hopkins looks like an escapee from the Jim Henson's creature shop...

http://www.darkcrystal.com/site_images/ ... e_tall.jpg

...and her whining/ranting sounds like one too...

Nope. I'll stick with Melody and her magical, mystical, musty dung-hampers.

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

Bhurzum wrote:
MarcusAu wrote:And it may also raise Bhurzum's blood pressure...
Hardly.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Hopkins looks like an escapee from the Jim Henson's creature shop...

http://www.darkcrystal.com/site_images/ ... e_tall.jpg

...and her whining/ranting sounds like one too...

Nope. I'll stick with Melody and her magical, mystical, musty dung-hampers.

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAH man this is so on the money

Oglebart

Post by Oglebart »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
InfraRedBucket wrote:http://i.imgur.com/2K9knep.jpg
Bus seats mistaken for burqas by members of anti-immigrant group
Comments posted on Norwegian ‘Fatherland first’ Facebook group call empty seats on Oslo bus ‘terrifying’
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... -norwegian

:lol: Easy mistake to make if you ask me.
I see Darth Vaders.
I see an honour killing when the men find out they are not chaperoned.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... -1.3315694
Rape culture, fer sure. It was really nice that they gave the perp house arrest, but I can't figure out why they were so lenient and forgiving? :think:

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

MarcusAu wrote:

Is Katie Hopkins still lying about her age? She was 37 for about 5 years at one point. I'm mid 30s. No way she has less than a decade on me.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
InfraRedBucket wrote:http://i.imgur.com/2K9knep.jpg
Bus seats mistaken for burqas by members of anti-immigrant group
Comments posted on Norwegian ‘Fatherland first’ Facebook group call empty seats on Oslo bus ‘terrifying’
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... -norwegian

:lol: Easy mistake to make if you ask me.
I see Darth Vaders.
When the head's as wide as the shoulders they're Dark Helmets.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Re male Watson, I guess the enjoyment is in seeing bullshit called so overtly. I wouldn't go to him for kirb style dissection - but in many ways SJWism really only needs to be pointed at to fall apart.

Meanwhile. This has happened.

http://i.imgur.com/SgXHDwJ.jpg

Alas no laptop fell into the tub in the making of this video.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

I gather this is part of a series of questions that nobody is asking.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Brive1987 wrote:Re male Watson, I guess the enjoyment is in seeing bullshit called so overtly. I wouldn't go to him for kirb style dissection - but in many ways SJWism really only needs to be pointed at to fall apart.

I just saw this and of course rushed here just to be :nin: 'ed.

APE: you must be wanking yourself stupid at this treasure trove!

ConcentratedH2O, OM

That tubgirl won't shut up, and seems to be full of mystical bullshit from the minute I've watched. Could be much fun here...

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Brive1987 wrote:This Paul Joseph Watson dude.

I just binge watched a shed load of his videos. And have yet to disagree with him.

Is there a Pit contrarian view? Probs that I've missed an entire thread on this. If so what was the tldr?
I'm sure he has plenty of ridiculous views, but he tends to stay focused on criticising Islam and the bad behaviour of Muslims in the West, and for the most part, he stays on factual ground. But I'm sure he has supported various stupid conspiracy theories. I can't be bothered to go back and check, but I think he might have promoted the "Pizzagate" nonsense.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Dan Arel has protected his Twitter account.

Turns out the guy who thinks he is on the barricades leading the resistance, has gone to find his safe space.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

PZ and his "bringmeahotwaterbottlewallace" tub video on non FtB YT

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=you ... VH6enh6b2s

Really?

Post by Really? »

CommanderTuvok wrote:Dan Arel has protected his Twitter account.

Turns out the guy who thinks he is on the barricades leading the resistance, has gone to find his safe space.
Dipshit did the same thing last time he got attention outside of his bubble. He'll be back.

This is pretty funny. CNN's Jim Acosta had a go at White House advisor Stephen Miller today. Acosta did what reporters are supposed to do: lecture a White House advisor about the meaning of the Statue of Liberty.

So around 3:20, Acosta starts in against the requirement that immigrants speak English. (Acosta doesn't seem to know there is already a long-standing requirement that immigrants speak English.)
The English Test to Become a Naturalized U.S. Citizen

One of the most important requirements for becoming a U.S. citizen is that you are able to show U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) that you can read, speak, and write basic English. You'll do this during an in-person review of your application for naturalization, which usually takes place some months after you have submitted your Form N-400.

You will have to read one to three English sentences out loud to a USCIS examiner. You will also have to write down one to three English sentences after the USCIS officer reads them aloud to you. And, you will need to follow the examiner's instructions, and speak with him or her about the information you provided in your application for U.S. citizenship.
http://immigration.lawyers.com/citizens ... ation.html

Acosta says of the English requirement: "Are we just gonna bring in people from Britain and Australia?"

Judo fucking troll master Miller huffs and puffs: "Jim, I am SHOCKED at your statement, that only people from England and Australia know English..." And he does the reverso troll spinabout on him. I love it.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

MarcusAu wrote:Since someone mentioned Dave Rubin on the last page - this may be of interest.

And it may also raise Bhurzum's blood pressure...

I wonder if it's like English accents sounding exotic to an American ear - so that people such as Hopkins can go an re-invent themselves...

I like her, she has no fear whatsoever and calls a spade a spade, she gets an awful slandering by the British lefty uber liberaal media (which is most of them) but never bites, just gives it back harder.
Nothing she said here is untrue and she is not exaggerating. The left really do want to make us the next Sweden, and the real loony tunes like Corbyn seem to want to make us the next Venezuela.
Is Katie Hopkins still lying about her age? She was 37 for about 5 years at one point. I'm mid 30s. No way she has less than a decade on me./

She told Rubin she was 42 so if she was 37 five years ago.. Now I'm no mathematician but?

Really?

Post by Really? »

Brive1987 wrote:PZ and his "bringmeahotwaterbottlewallace" tub video on non FtB YT

PZ's bathroom-vibrated sighs are so disturbing.

I want to know what PZ is hiding behind that old towel. He obviously draped it there for a reason.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Really? wrote:
What's with all the little silver things on the spokesman's suit? Is he pinned into a tailor's demo version?

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Brive1987 wrote:Re male Watson, I guess the enjoyment is in seeing bullshit called so overtly. I wouldn't go to him for kirb style dissection - but in many ways SJWism really only needs to be pointed at to fall apart.

I am simultaneously amused and horrified.

:lol: :shock:

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Brive1987 wrote:PZ and his "bringmeahotwaterbottlewallace" tub video on non FtB YT

Too much pasty, flabby white flesh. Do not want.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Looks like Blaire got a head job

Guest_936d3dec

Post by Guest_936d3dec »

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

BarnOwl wrote:

Too much pasty, flabby white flesh. Do not want.
When you shut your eyes, every man can be handsome.

Guest_936d3dec

Post by Guest_936d3dec »

[tweet]What's with all the little silver things on the spokesman's suit? Is he pinned into a tailor's demo version?[/tweet]

I wonder if those are the CGI tracking dots bleeding through

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Brive1987 wrote: When you shut your eyes, every man can be handsome.
That video is like 40 minutes long. Wouldn't the bath water get cold?

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Brive1987 wrote:
When you shut your eyes, every man can be handsome.
Correct. That's how I managed to get married.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

BarnOwl wrote:

The woman is some kind of spiritual bullshit person, I just don't get how this came about, nor what possible outcome he imagined where he could emerge from that bath with an atom of fucking dignity.

1) How the fuck did she trap Meyers into being interviewed?
2) How much of a dickless sap does he now feel?
3) How much will he be spending on his wife this weekend once she sees what he's been up to?

Guest_936d3dec

Post by Guest_936d3dec »

Judo fucking troll master Miller huffs and puffs: "Jim, I am SHOCKED at your statement, that only people from England and Australia know English..." And he does the reverso troll spinabout on him. I love it.
Having not read much more about this new policy than the headline, I think it's dumb.

I do think Stephen Miller did a very nice job of rebutting Acosta on this, and shoving it up Acosta and thereby CNN's ass.

That said, on Twitter, Miller (who is Jewish) use of "cosmopolitan" is now being called a dalliance with anti-semitism, apparently post WWII (or maybe even earlier), "rootless cosmopolitan" was a dog whistle for Jews.
en.wikipedia org/wiki/Rootless_cosmopolitan
Rootless cosmopolitan (Russian: безродный космополит, bezrodnyi kosmopolit) was a pejorative label used during the anti-Semitic campaign in the Soviet Union after World War II.[1] Cosmopolitans were intellectuals who were accused of expressing pro-Western feelings and lack of patriotism. The term "rootless cosmopolitan" referred to Jewish intellectuals. It was popularized during the campaign in a Pravda article condemning a group of theatrical critics
Regardless, I don't understand the basic complaint. So "alt-right" trumpetariat is actually anti-semitic by claiming that CNN's Acosta is a Jew lover by claiming that only the UK and Australia speak English?

That argument seems wildly incoherent at anything other than the surface, "gotcha" level of saying Miller laid out an anti-semitic dog whistle.

Here's esquire explaining (?)

esquire com/news-politics/politics/news/a56782/stephen-miller-jim-acosta/
The Historical Significance of 'Cosmopolitan' as an Insult
Stephen Miller hurled it at CNN's Jim Acosta today inside the White House.

BY CHARLES P. PIERCE
AUG 2, 2017

Anyone who attended one of the president*'s campaign rallies learned two things: 1) that it is possible to get sick of hearing "You Can't Always Get What You Want," and 2) that of all the warm-up acts, Stephen Miller was the most thuggish. He was pure Trumpian Id, especially on the subject of minorities.

On Wednesday, for reasons known only to whatever critters inhabit the ravines and gullies of the presidential cortex, they trotted Miller out to talk about the administration's new proposal to limit legal immigration.

The way Miller leaned into the word "cosmopolitan" while answering Acosta has a long and ignoble history in 20th century authoritarianism, especially the anti-Semitic variety. During World War II, for example, the Soviet government under Stalin used to rail regularly at "rootless cosmopolitanism," especially in the arts. The Nazis were fond of tossing it around, too. There is no context in which Miller's use of the word against Acosta makes sense except as a historical signaling device.
It still makes no sense as an argument to me to claim Miller was being anti-semitic.

That said, Pierce does have this to say about the Miller mistake re the Statue of Liberty Poem.
Also, Miller doesn't know dick about Emma Lazarus and the Statue of Liberty. She wrote the poem, "The New Colossus," from which the famous lines on the Statue of Liberty's pedestal were taken in 1883 for the purpose of raising funds for … wait for it … the Statue of Liberty.

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Technically black is a lack of color, therefore Block of Lack of Color, POC is really POLOC
I don't want to subtract from a conversation that adds knowledge, but would say that some people paint this question in a different light.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Guest_936d3dec wrote:
Here's esquire explaining (?)

esquire com/news-politics/politics/news/a56782/stephen-miller-jim-acosta/
The Historical Significance of 'Cosmopolitan' as an Insult
Stephen Miller hurled it at CNN's Jim Acosta today inside the White House.

BY CHARLES P. PIERCE
AUG 2, 2017

Anyone who attended one of the president*'s campaign rallies learned two things: 1) that it is possible to get sick of hearing "You Can't Always Get What You Want," and 2) that of all the warm-up acts, Stephen Miller was the most thuggish. He was pure Trumpian Id, especially on the subject of minorities.

On Wednesday, for reasons known only to whatever critters inhabit the ravines and gullies of the presidential cortex, they trotted Miller out to talk about the administration's new proposal to limit legal immigration.

The way Miller leaned into the word "cosmopolitan" while answering Acosta has a long and ignoble history in 20th century authoritarianism, especially the anti-Semitic variety. During World War II, for example, the Soviet government under Stalin used to rail regularly at "rootless cosmopolitanism," especially in the arts. The Nazis were fond of tossing it around, too. There is no context in which Miller's use of the word against Acosta makes sense except as a historical signaling device.
It still makes no sense as an argument to me to claim Miller was being anti-semitic.

That said, Pierce does have this to say about the Miller mistake re the Statue of Liberty Poem.
Also, Miller doesn't know dick about Emma Lazarus and the Statue of Liberty. She wrote the poem, "The New Colossus," from which the famous lines on the Statue of Liberty's pedestal were taken in 1883 for the purpose of raising funds for … wait for it … the Statue of Liberty.
No...Pierce is wrong. The purpose was not to raise funds for the Statue of Liberty. The purpose was to raise funds for the pedestal.
This poem was written as a donation to an auction of art and literary works[3] conducted by the "Art Loan Fund Exhibition in Aid of the Bartholdi Pedestal Fund for the Statue of Liberty" to raise money for the pedestal's construction
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_New_Colossus

So the French essentially bought us an Xbox without any games or a controller. We had to raise money for the Xbox and controller.
On June 17, 1885, the French steamer Isère, laden with the Statue of Liberty, reached the New York port safely. New Yorkers displayed their new-found enthusiasm for the statue, as the French vessel arrived with the crates holding the disassembled statue on board. Two hundred thousand people lined the docks and hundreds of boats put to sea to welcome the Isère.[91] [92] After five months of daily calls to donate to the statue fund, on August 11, 1885, the World announced that $102,000 had been raised from 120,000 donors, and that 80 percent of the total had been received in sums of less than one dollar.[93]

Even with the success of the fund drive, the pedestal was not completed until April 1886. Immediately thereafter, reassembly of the statue began.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statue_of_Liberty\

And because we went to the trouble of purchasing the accessories, we're now obligated to let everyone in the world play with the Xbox whenever they like.

Billie from Ockham

BarnOwl wrote:
From what I can tell, "shrinkage" is proportional, so it probably wouldn't be noticeable in this case.

For more on "shrinkage":

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

I rather like the idea of a country being governed by laws written in the form of poetry.

This must be the case for America - or they would not be making reference to the Statue of Liberty and the poem engraved on the tablet it holds.

Really?

Post by Really? »

MarcusAu wrote:I rather like the idea of a country being governed by laws written in the form of poetry.

This must be the case for America - or they would not be making reference to the Statue of Liberty and the poem engraved on the tablet it holds.
It doesn't help much that Acosta didn't know the laws. And he had to read the crucial phrases that most smart people have memorized.

Guest_936d3dec

Post by Guest_936d3dec »

Probably belaboring the obvious, but to any non yankees who don't know,
"Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore"
may not be law, but is a huge point of pride and demarcation for how the US is different from Europe and the rest of the world. It would be reasonable for Acosta to reference that poem in a statement questioning if the new policy is "un-American".

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

BarnOwl wrote:
https://d2gg9evh47fn9z.cloudfront.net/8 ... 535484.jpg

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Kirbmarc wrote:He gets things right every once in a while, but he's still a conspiracy nut. He believes in the chemtrails, the New World Order, the Illuminati and other dumb stuff, the kind of things that free thoughtpolice loves to post here to troll Steersman or Vicky Caramel. He created the "dying Hillary" conspiracy theory FFS. He's also pretty dishonest when it comes to editing his videos: he added "haunting" music to a joke by a German journalist to make people believe that there was support for killing Trump in Germany, he frequently splices together clips to leave out information that doesn't overtly support his narrative.

He's right about the derailment of the left post-Trump, and he's not pulling any punches about the SocJus or the Regressive Left and he's at least more coherent with his anti-interventionist stance on Syria than a lot of other Trump supporters, but he's still not someone I'd trust as a source of reliable information.
I suspected you were right about him having a conspiracy nut side. So I went to look for evidence for us to laugh at.

My first search was a disappointment. Here is a 2014 video of his debunking chemtrails and laughing at that conspiracy.

Where is your source that he is promoting chemtrail bullshit?

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Whoever this mysterious commenter is on Meyers's video with tubgirl, they need to read a medical dictionary. The idiot put an unnecessary "d" in the word after "express his".

http://i.imgur.com/iyuoBmX.png

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Guest_936d3dec wrote:
may not be law, but is a huge point of pride and demarcation for how the US is different from Europe and the rest of the world. It would be reasonable for Acosta to reference that poem in a statement questioning if the new policy is "un-American".
I understand that the HUAC had this problem in the 1950s. By it's very nature treason against America is an un-American activity - so anyone committing said crime has already renounced their affiliation to the values of the country and could not be found to be betraying them.

Billie from Ockham

MarcusAu wrote:I rather like the idea of a country being governed by laws written in the form of poetry.
Maybe haiku?

When detained for cause
One must provide a full name
As well as birthdate

Or possibly limerick?

When driving at night on a street
Dim you high-beams when others you meet
If you don't, that's a crime
Not a big one, no time
But it's part of good driving complete

This could be fun.

Guest_936d3dec

Post by Guest_936d3dec »

I understand that the HUAC had this problem in the 1950s. By it's very nature treason against America is an un-American activity - so anyone committing said crime has already renounced their affiliation to the values of the country and could not be found to be betraying them.
Luckily my brain is not smart enough to parse that at this moment so I cannot understand your point.

(Actual sincere apologies)

It might be more like Trump suddenly placing taxes and tariffs on baseball and apple pie.

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

Really? wrote:I think someone needs a juice box and a time out.
He seems like the kind of guy who could have used one or two more ass-kickings as a kid. Like he might have turned into this giant festering twat because no one ever taught him the price for acting that way toward the wrong person.

Of course it's possible that he's just an internet tough guy like Peezus, and loses his giant web cajones when he faces a real person.

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
But only at percentages less than 3.
For our pot to gently melt, no more.

Billie from Ockham

Huddled masses are really passé
As to refuse, "no thank you" we say
A yearn to breathe free
Is alright with me
But if brown or a Muslim, no way!

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

d4m10n wrote:

"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
But only at percentages less than 3.
For our pot to gently melt, no more.
Indeed. Shouldn't take a rocket scientist to realize that allowing the immigration of large numbers of people whose values are "flatly incompatible with the establishment and maintenance of the equal individual rights and liberties of a liberal, democratic, secular state" is a recipe for disaster, if not outright suicide.
https://twitter.com/afpandavar/status/8 ... 5394264064

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DGH80O_U0AAOjlk.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DGH80O_U0AAOjlk.jpg

TheMudbrooker

Post by TheMudbrooker »

Pedantic mode on, The tablet she holds reads "1776" in Roman numerals. The poem "The New Colossus" by Emma Lazarus is on the base. Pedantic mode off.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Billie from Ockham wrote:Huddled masses are really passé
As to refuse, "no thank you" we say
A yearn to breathe free
Is alright with me
But if brown or a Muslim, no way!
"brown" prolly qualifies as racist, "Muslim" isn't because Islam is a "totalitarian political ideology", it's the "new fascism ... it's a destructive, nihilistic cult of death" (Ayaan Hirsi Ali). that should find no room at all to grow or prosper in the West; shouldn't get a toehold, much less a bridgehead:

ARAB-AMERICAN PSYCHIATRIST WAFA SULTAN: THERE IS NO CLASH OF CIVILIZATIONS BUT A CLASH BETWEEN THE MENTALITY OF THE MIDDLE AGES AND THAT OF THE 21ST CENTURY (transcript)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAKE6MwVqyA&app=desktop

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Guest_936d3dec wrote:
Probably belaboring the obvious, but to any non yankees who don't know,
"Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore"
I'm not wading in the topic at hand, but the part in bold is what I've always found either irritating or amusing (depending on my mood) about Americans. You seem to really believe that your country is "exceptional" and different from any other country in the world. It's such a common cultural trope in the US that even critics of US policies like Noam Chomsky have their own warped version of exceptionalism, only instead of the US being exceptionally good (the "shining city upon the hill") they're exceptionally evil.

Look, I love American culture, and I think that the inspiration of the American Revolution was a crucial step in the development of liberal democracy, but the United States aren't "exceptional". You suffer from the same problems of other advanced countries, you act in the same way of other powerful countries, you have the same good and bad features of other liberal democracies, with some specific positive and negative points of course, but you're not "an exception". You're not the Good Guys or the Ultimate Evil. You're not "different" and immune from the laws of geopolitics, or from social dynamics which affect all countries.

Your idea that somehow you're different from the rest of the world and special is a myth, and one that is actually hindering rational self-reflection and approaches to policies. The sooner you stop believing in your American special snowflakedness, the better.

TheMudbrooker

Post by TheMudbrooker »

Gotta hand it to them French, they make cool looking nuclear tests.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

TheMudbrooker wrote:Gotta hand it to them French, they make cool looking nuclear tests.

Guest_936d3dec

Post by Guest_936d3dec »

I'm not wading in the topic at hand, but the part in bold is what I've always found either irritating or amusing (depending on my mood) about Americans. You seem to really believe that your country is "exceptional" and different from any other country in the world. It's such a common cultural trope in the US that even critics of US policies like Noam Chomsky have their own warped version of exceptionalism, only instead of the US being exceptionally good (the "shining city upon the hill") they're exceptionally evil.
Well seriously, it's clear to me you and other pitters have much better understanding of history than I do, but all of this comes out of a long history of people coming to America when their European or Asian countries were literally killing them or otherwise oppressing them on racial, or religious grounds.

I'm not saying it's true today, nor am I agreeing with you that "I" agree with that as opposed to "me" just telling you how people here feel about "huddled masses", but I think it's pretty settled history that for some several centuries, people flocked to America then and now as land of the free, a place to escape repression, a place to make a whole new start, a place where there was no royalty or other assholes.

People I meet are proud of "huddled masses", that's a large part of why folks were outraged with the original Muslim ban and why I see lawn signs promoting open borders and "this neighborhood is friendly to Muslims and refugees", etc.

It's certainly a mixed bag. My grandparents came here without two dimes to their names to flee pogroms but were stuck south of the border for a year because the Jewish quota had been met. But they got in, and so we've been oppressing other people intersectionally our betters for centuries now I hear.

Cnutella

Post by Cnutella »

Anyone familiar with Civil Rights lawyer and prominent African American lesbian Andrea J Richtie? She has a new book out."Invisible No More: Police Violence Against Black Women and Women of Color".

I'm having some problems believing that she has personally suffered at the hands of Whitey McWhiterson and his system of institutionalized racism, although I somehow just know her life has been one of continual micro-aggressions and too many sentences beginning with "speaking as a black woman... "

Go on, look at these pics and tell me this lady doesn't so much have a privilege knapsack as a 100 liter privilege bergen, lovingly hand-stitched by a conscientious craftsman called Sven and featuring real seal-fur.

http://www.opensocietyfoundations.org/s ... 64-675.jpg

I know, I know. That doesn't necessarily prove anything (other than my being a dick) and for all I know she's the offspring of Winnie Mandela and Shaft. I just find it hard to believe that her life has been anything less than a perpetual downhill struggle.