InfraRedBucket

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

Post by InfraRedBucket »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
InfraRedBucket wrote:
Shatterface wrote:https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... heHigh.jpg

84% white. 15% Hispanic.
Must be the Irish in him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Lynch_(Argentina)
Broken link.
Works now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Lynch_(Argentina)

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

#32 Rat wrote:My favorite historical re-enactment.

[youtube][/youtube]

Excellent when made with apple cider & malt vinegar.
Awesome! I like the more practical, domestic types of historical re-enactment.

Though I think I would have drawn the line at Victorian Slum House. That looked fairly miserable.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

John D wrote: Very good. I didn't realize there was an exception for "Them's fighten words." Language intended to provoke someone into physically attacking you is NOT protected speech. So, the Antifa guy really was breaking the law when he said he would fight the black guy (in the video from the last page). I didn't know this. I wonder if this then excuses a person who reacts to such speech in a violent way.
If a reasonable person would fear imminent bodily harm, they may respond with force even though the threatener has yet to employ force.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

shoutinghorse wrote:Hmmm!! . :?

Philip II of Spain
http://i.imgur.com/Lw0zvgU.png
Phillip was an inbred Habsburg, so in actuality he'd be like 162% Austrian.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Kirbmarc, as a scholar of some repute, what is your view of this interpretation of Islam and domestic violence?

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
John D wrote: Very good. I didn't realize there was an exception for "Them's fighten words." Language intended to provoke someone into physically attacking you is NOT protected speech. So, the Antifa guy really was breaking the law when he said he would fight the black guy (in the video from the last page). I didn't know this. I wonder if this then excuses a person who reacts to such speech in a violent way.
If a reasonable person would fear imminent bodily harm, they may respond with force even though the threatener has yet to employ force.
Correct from horseboy, the act of violence is not required to allow the use of force from the other person, merely the reasonable expectation that violence against you or another is imminent. Otherwise, you would have to wait until you were shot or stabbed before you could fire back.

Also: robbery is theft with violence or the threat of violence. Otherwise, armed robbery of a bank would merely be shoplifting.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
A Liverpool kiss works wonders. And it's not sexual assault.

[youtube][/youtube]

ConcentratedH2O, OM

KiwiInOz wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:

[youtube][/youtube]

It's a Kirby Kiss in Liverpool.

Six minutes for a pair of Australians to teach me how to drop the nut. What a time to be alive. :roll:

ConcentratedH2O, OM

*Kirkby

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Geesh.

http://imgur.com/Lews0SF.png

Inspiration for what, Peez? Your own leather hotpants?

He's always trying to signal solidarity, but only blares he's an out-of-it boob. Look for his tweets about Beyonce sometime.

Peez. Quit being so needy. Nobody cares if you don't squee like a fangirl.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

KiwiInOz wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:

[woutube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]

#32 Rat

Post by #32 Rat »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Getting the privilege of explaining what a "reasonable person" is to the U.S. court system is a crap shoot though.

Lamb chops bookmarked.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

#32 Rat wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Getting the privilege of explaining what a "reasonable person" is to the U.S. court system is a crap shoot though.

Lamb chops bookmarked.
To be serious, this would definitely be one of the times when being white would be a huge inbuilt advantage in most US courts.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Ape+lust wrote:Geesh.

He's always trying to signal solidarity, but only blares he's an out-of-it boob. Look for his tweets about Beyonce sometime.

Haha! Oh fuck, Beta male is insufficient. What is the last letter of the Greek alphabet? How do mathematicians annotate beyond that? Is it the infinity male? Truly, your Arthur Chu/Meyers shoop was well-intended, I would pay top dollar to see them fight.

#32 Rat

Post by #32 Rat »

Ape+lust wrote: He's always trying to signal solidarity, but only blares he's an out-of-it boob. Look for his tweets about Beyonce sometime.

Don't take away a producing lolcow.

Everyone cares PZ. Everyone. Especially the feminists they care the most.

#32 Rat

Post by #32 Rat »

#32 Rat wrote:

Lamb chops bookmarked.
To be serious, this would definitely be one of the times when being white would be a huge inbuilt advantage in most US courts.
And being richer than the opponent.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

And I "wonder" :D if this is because he got some kickback for his ludicrous (truly, ridiculous) webcast statement which you transcribed earlier, where he said that it's tough shit there aren't enough women in University teaching because they aren't as good as men, but the only way to fix it is to spend millions more on funding just so that Universities can hire more teaching staff and thus more women (despite this not being a way to alter the M/F ratio, as pointed out by another poster).

Total tool.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

If only Becky had let him "drink at the well of inspiration", we might have avoided this pathetic spectacle.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

One man made the Kirkby kiss a thing of beauty:

[youtube][/youtube]

John D

Post by John D »

#32 Rat wrote:
#32 Rat wrote:

Lamb chops bookmarked.
And being richer than the opponent.
Skin color and money.... I may be okay. Now... off to find an Antifa to head butt.....

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Really? wrote:I find Shermer's position ironic.
Alex Jones shit to quality information is too poor for me to bother viewing him. Not to mention his voice & presentation style is annoying as all fuck.

If Alex Jones happens to hit on any serious news, I am sure someone will pick it up and present it in a more digestible perhaps even better researched format.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Cartamundia's excoriation of Gadot's IDF history didn't persuade him?

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Haha! Oh fuck, Beta male is insufficient. What is the last letter of the Greek alphabet? How do mathematicians annotate beyond that? Is it the infinity male? Truly, your Arthur Chu/Meyers shoop was well-intended, I would pay top dollar to see them fight.
Last week he was complaining her tits were too pert. He's working overtime to be the virtue signallers' Star of the Class.

Someone should remind him he's sixty fucking years old, because I don't think he knows it.

http://imgur.com/ujlNSjc.jpg

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

KiwiInOz wrote:
deLurch wrote:OK. This trailer looks promising.

[youtube][/youtube]

Clearly badass & politically correct don't go hand-in-hand.
Iron Fist was insipid, and Luke Cage tedious. But this looks excellent.
I hope they give him some kind of weakness. His whole costume is Captain America's shield.

Sam Wilson in Civil War: "A man shows up dressed as a cat and nobody's going to say anything about it?"

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

KiwiInOz wrote:
[youtube][/youtube]
Iron Fist was dull. I enjoyed Luke Cage compared to all of the other Netflix superhero shows because it had a stylized universe. The stakes were much smaller but mattered to the people involved.

katamari Damassi

And I "wonder" :D if this is because he got some kickback for his ludicrous (truly, ridiculous) webcast statement which you transcribed earlier, where he said that it's tough shit there aren't enough women in University teaching because they aren't as good as men, but the only way to fix it is to spend millions more on funding just so that Universities can hire more teaching staff and thus more women (despite this not being a way to alter the M/F ratio, as pointed out by another poster).

Total tool.
I agree with Red Letter Media's Mike Stoklasa who said: "Unless you're a seven year-old girl, Wonder Woman should not be your role model."

katamari Damassi

deLurch wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote:
[youtube][/youtube]
Iron Fist was dull. I enjoyed Luke Cage compared to all of the other Netflix superhero shows because it had a stylized universe. The stakes were much smaller but mattered to the people involved.
First season of Daredevil was quite good. As was the first half of the second season, and I really enjoyed Jessica Jones, which had the best Marvel villain to date, played by David Tennant.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

#32 Rat wrote:
Ape+lust wrote: He's always trying to signal solidarity, but only blares he's an out-of-it boob. Look for his tweets about Beyonce sometime.

Don't take away a producing lolcow.

Everyone cares PZ. Everyone. Especially the feminists they care the most.
:lol:

This is a golden age of lolcows. He can take a break, Shives will fill in.

katamari Damassi

The problems with all of the Netflix Marvel shows is that they go on too long. I liked the first half of Luke Cage-although it needed to introduce some action earlier. It had an interesting pair of villains-one of which it killed off way too early, and if you're into history it was loaded with interesting Harlem Renaissance references.

Ironfist had some good moments-Colleen Wing stole the show-but again it had no interesting villain, a plot that doesn't seem to go anywhere, and a main actor who either needed a lot more practice with kung-fu choreography or a costume so they can substitute a performer who can do the tricks.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Correct from horseboy, the act of violence is not required to allow the use of force from the other person, merely the reasonable expectation that violence against you or another is imminent. Otherwise, you would have to wait until you were shot or stabbed before you could fire back.

Also: robbery is theft with violence or the threat of violence. Otherwise, armed robbery of a bank would merely be shoplifting.
I don't know the relevant case law(s), but I have always thought that assault should include the use of loud sounds. For example, these SJW cunts that shout through a loudspeaker into people's ear orifices, and cunty little Shia Labeuf (sp) shouting his cult's motto right into a guy's soundhole. That would be excruciating for me, and lead to long-term damage with much larger effects than a black eye, so I feel it should be assault.

Similarly, light assault: I once was looking closely at a museum exhibit when a fellow tourist thrust their fucking cellphone not one inch from my eye and took a photo with flash. 1) The photo would have been shit because there was a glass case in the way. 2) I came this fucking close to answering my own question about whether assault can be occasioned by photons.

I used to live in the South, where men with very small penises often ride Harleys. I don't know where it came from, but there must be an urban myth that says removing the muffler and revving heavily at traffic lights increases both length and girth, because fuck me, these cunts would blow your eardrums trying to get themselves to average size. I often thought I might be justified in tipping them over (and running away :D ), but unfortunately they always rode in packs. Presumably so they could each feed off the testosterone released.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Cringe alert.

PS Go fuck yourself PZ, with a wire brush and sandpaper. Go on, go on.....

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Sunder wrote:

Oh, shit. I'd forgotten about that. Apparently, Peez did too. This could get funny real fast when a Setar-type tells him he murdered Rachel Corrie.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

katamari Damassi wrote:
deLurch wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote:
quote="deLurch"]OK. This trailer looks promising.
[youtube][/youtube]
Clearly badass & politically correct don't go hand-in-hand./quote]

First season of Daredevil was quite good. As was the first half of the second season, and I really enjoyed Jessica Jones, which had the best Marvel villain to date, played by David Tennant.
I enjoyed Jessica Jones as well, and liked Luke Cage in that series (which set me up).

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:If a reasonable person would fear imminent bodily harm, they may respond with force even though the threatener has yet to employ force.
Reminds me of the Bush Doctrine. Except for the "reasonable" part.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Omega

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Man

Guest_440911e7

Post by Guest_440911e7 »

youtube com/watch?v=Mc5zyX_oENA

Bret Weinstein appears again on Tucker Carlson.

Meanwhile, PZ Myers has not discussed Evergreen or Bret Weinstein at his blog, and has danced around the issue in a couple of tweets.

#32 Rat

Post by #32 Rat »

This product made me think of Danielle Muscato for some reason.

https://media.boingboing.net/wp-content ... grande.jpg

Only model so far.

https://media1.popsugar-assets.com/file ... imsuit.jpg

Get the Muscato look for only $45. Comes in Tan too.

#32 Rat

Post by #32 Rat »

Courtesy conversion of guest's youtube link.

[youtube][/youtube]

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Guest_440911e7 wrote:youtube com/watch?v=Mc5zyX_oENA
Meanwhile, PZ Myers has not discussed Evergreen or Bret Weinstein at his blog, and has danced around the issue in a couple of tweets.
Link for the lazy.
[youtube][/youtube]

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Guest_440911e7 wrote:youtube com/watch?v=Mc5zyX_oENA
Link for the lazy.
[youtube][/youtube]

piginthecity

Post by piginthecity »

The problem with this 'Diversity Recognition' is that it recognises too many ethnicities and too many percentages.

in fact, there are only two possibilities:

"Ancestors lived in caves"
"Ancestors built these cities"

... and the only allowable percentages are 0 and 100.

#32 Rat

Post by #32 Rat »

piginthecity wrote:The problem with this 'Diversity Recognition' is that it recognises too many ethnicities and too many percentages.

I'm like a child in the woods... I have no frame of reference. I will take both possibilities at 100 though.

Rat Bastard

Post by Rat Bastard »

piginthecity wrote:The problem with this 'Diversity Recognition' is that it recognises too many ethnicities and too many percentages.

There is a third possibility....
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201706 ... 936dcf.jpg

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

KenD

Post by KenD »

#32 Rat wrote:Ya'll probably need context for my above post. Lazy fuckers can't just memorize entire internet every morning like the rest of us.

Polygon article detailing the effort to get rid of developer for statements made in 2014. https://archive.is/aPq2i

Bonus Kek Ben Kuchera getting Rekt

Notch vs. Zoe
I've been following the witch hunt and attempt to get his publishers to drop the game. Just mildly criticising the worst of identity politics is enough to get him labelled a hatemonger and bigot of course.

Thanks for screenshoting the exchange with Ben Kuchera, for some reason it seems to have disappeared from Polygon...

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Kairos disagrees. Those who built these cities were only 82% white and 18% Hispanic

http://is5.mzstatic.com/image/thumb/Mus ... x630bb.jpg

Guest_440911e7

Post by Guest_440911e7 »

> Thanks for screenshoting the exchange with Ben Kuchera, for some reason it seems to have disappeared from Polygon...

If I show these guys (ALL OF THEM) any respect, I would think they are obviously smart enough and self-aware enough to know what they do is highly unethical.

What a huge bunch of fucks, and I see no reason to not think their behavior is not typical of all Vox journalists, or most journalists in general.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Sunder wrote:

I think it did persuade him. "Women in uniform". :dance:

http://cdn2.tstatic.net/jabar/foto/bank ... 191324.jpg

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Are two of those women about to shoot themselves in the foot?

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

One at least correctly places her finger outside the trigger guard.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

MarcusAu wrote:I guess Rayshul will chime in a some point - though I'm not sure if it's appropriate as she has confessed to being 80% white.

Which if correct means that skin makes up the remaining 20%.

In my case I'm white unless the Irish are still counted as the blacks of Europe.
Haha. I've dated only white people with one brief asian exception in high school. I did the diversity app thing and apparently I just read as "mainly hispanic" to that thing with varying amounts of white and black. I'm 99% sure no one in my family has ever fucked a Hispanic person. In real life I genuinely read as just about any fucking race. People have mistaken me for Filipino, Australian Aboriginal, Indian, Pacific Islander, Arab. But I suppose most of you have seen me on chat.

I believe asian women-white man is the most common pairing, I think I read that somewhere. It's not so common with asian men to date outside their race. My brother is married to an asian girl and has AFAIK only dated asian women.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

I put in a monkey into the Kairos thing. 76% white.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

"We must occasionally drink at the well of inspiration, you know"

No, I don't. And I don't want to know.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

#32 Rat wrote:This product made me think of Danielle Muscato for some reason.

Only model so far.

https://media1.popsugar-assets.com/file ... imsuit.jpg

Get the Muscato look for only $45. Comes in Tan too.
Whoever created that should do some time. Seriously.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Not a fan of Stefan Molyneux, but in this case he is actually interviewing someone who performed a serious study on political identity & criminal proclivity.

[youtube][/youtube]

Study itself who want to skip past Stefan.

https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... t_in_crime

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Hunt wrote:Whoever created that should do some time. Seriously.
The messed up the lower anatomy.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Hunt wrote:
#32 Rat wrote:This product made me think of Danielle Muscato for some reason.

Whoever created that should do spend some time in it. Seriously.
Fixed.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

rayshul wrote:I put in a monkey into the Kairos thing. 76% white.
Ah ha! You've found it out - it must be sponsored by the Nation of Islam.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Kairos has been discussed elsewhere. It's racial recognition feature just sucks. Everyone is either black because that is clearly the case based on skin tone, or it gets confused between white & hispanic.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

KiwiInOz wrote:Kirbmarc, as a scholar of some repute, what is your view of this interpretation of Islam and domestic violence?
I'm no scholar, I just post quotes from the Qu'ran, the sunnah and some ahadith, along with what's the most likely explanation by taking them literally. It's not my fault if they're bloody awful and require creative interpretation in order to be read in less awful ways. Complain with Mo. :lol:

But let's see this article anyway:
Domestic violence is not specific to a particular religious group; Australian statistics indicate that one in six women experience physical or sexual violence from a current or former partner in their lifetime.

Despite this, several recent media reports have sensationalised domestic violence within the Muslim community, and often falsely linked it to Verse 4:34 in the Qur’an.
This is a bad way to start. Of course domestic violence isn't specific to a particular group, religious or otherwise. This is a red herring: the real matter is whether the Qu'ran sanctions it, and it DOES.

The contention about Verse 4:34 is particular to its English translation. There are no accurate translations of this verse, which compounds the issue for English-speakers. There are three particular words – qawwamuna, nushuzahunna, and wadribuhunna – that appear in this verse and are often mistranslated, mainly due to a lack of equivalent words in English.

Particularly problematic is how the word wadribuhunna is translated into English. A clear disagreement exists among English-language Qur’an commentators on how best to translate this word. All translations give an explicit negative connotation, and – when read out of context – further exacerbates any misunderstanding.
BULLSHIT
Qu'ran, Sura 4: Verse 34 wrote:Men are in charge of women by [right of] what Allah has given one over the other and what they spend [for maintenance] from their wealth. So righteous women are devoutly obedient, guarding in [the husband's] absence what Allah would have them guard. But those [wives] from whom you fear arrogance - [first] advise them; [then if they persist], forsake them in bed; and [finally], strike them. But if they obey you [once more], seek no means against them. Indeed, Allah is ever Exalted and Grand.
The verb used for "strike them" is wa-iḍ'ribūhunna. The verbal root "ḍād rā bā" (to strike, to present or to travel) is found many times in the Qu'ran. It has two possible meaning: the hit/strike/beat or to present, to show, or to travel, to go from point A to point B.

It IS used to mean "to strike" in the Qu'ran, for example in:
Qu'ran, Sura 47, verse 4 wrote:So when you meet those who disbelieve [in battle],strike[their] necks until, when you have inflicted slaughter upon them, then secure their bonds, and either [confer] favor afterwards or ransom [them] until the war lays down its burdens. That [is the command]. And if Allah had willed, He could have taken vengeance upon them [Himself], but [He ordered armed struggle] to test some of you by means of others. And those who are killed in the cause of Allah - never will He waste their deeds.
The word used here is "faḍarba", which has the same root as "wa-iḍ'ribūhunna". Classic Arabic uses prefixes (morphemes, i.e. part of the word which go before the root), suffixes (after the root) and even infixes (in between the letters of the root).

The particle "fa" is a prefixed "resumption" particle, which shows a sequence of event (X after Y). On the other hand "wa" is a conjuction equivalent to "and"), the form of the verb is an imperative for the second masculine pronoun ("you, men") while the suffix "-unna" is a 3rd person feminine plural object pronoun.

Arabic has gendered pronouns: there are masculine and feminine forms. The verse 34 of Sura 4 uses a masculine subject form (the people who DO the action) and a feminine object form (the people who ARE SUBJECTED to the action) of the pronouns, all attached to a verb which, in its TRANSITIVE form (when you have both a subject and an object) is used in the Qu'ran to mean "to strike, to beat".

The root "ḍād rā bā" CAN be used to mean "to travel, to set forth", but (and here's the catch), when used this way it is INTRANSITIVE, i.e. it has no object. It's never used to mean "to banish, to push away", i.e. the TRANSITIVE meaning of "set forth", at least not with a personal object (i.e. to turn away, to banish someone).

The only instance when the root "ḍād rā bā" is used with the meaning of "set forth" and with a transitive form is when it refers to a message, like in:
Qu'ran, Sura 43, Verse 5 wrote:Then should We turn away the message, disregarding you, because you are a transgressing people?
The word used here is "afanaḍribu", with the interrogative prefix "alif" (reduced to "af") and the supplemental particle "ana", with an object at the accusative (the case, or form of a noun, of objects) which is separated from the verb. Importantly enough the object is "l-dhik'ra" (the message, the Remainder") which is an indefinite noun in its accusative form, NOT a pronoun.

Compare and contrast when the root "ḍād rā bā" is used in:
Qu'ran, Sura 2, Verse 72 wrote:So, We said, "Strike the slain man with part of it." Thus does Allah bring the dead to life, and He shows you His signs that you might reason.
The word used here is "iḍ'ribūhu", which has the suffix "-hu" which is a 3rd person masculine singular object pronoun. Confront with "wa-iḍ'ribūhunna" and you see that in BOTH cases the object personal pronoun is attacked to the verb, as it is typical of transitive verbs with a personal pronoun in object form. The construction is the same, which, along with the context, shows us that the meaning is very likely the same, to strike, to beat, not "to banish, to turn away".

There's a THIRD possible use of the root "ḍād rā bā", which is "to present, to show". However here's the catch: when the root is used in this way there's always either a double object ("to present X as Y" "to show X as Y") or a term of reference (the form, "to Z") or both.

For example in:
Qu'ran, Sura 43, Verse 58 wrote:And they said, "Are your gods better, or is he?" They did not present the comparison except for [mere] argument. But, [in fact], they are a people prone to dispute.
The word used here is "ḍarabūhu", with the now familiar suffix "-hu", the 3rd person masculine singular object pronoun. There's a second object later, the word "jadalan", which is the accusative (object) form of the indefinite noun "argument". Furthermore there's a term of reference, "laka", which means "to you".

Similarly in:
Qu'ran, Sura 47, Verse 3 wrote:That is because those who disbelieve follow falsehood, and those who believe follow the truth from their Lord. Thus does Allah present to the people their comparisons.
The word used here is "yaḍribu", a pure verb, which means "presents", and there's both a term of reference "lilnnāsi" (to the people) and an object "amthālahum" (their comparisons).

Let's go back to the verse in question, the 34th of the 4th Sura, and analyze only the sentence which contains the progressive recommendations towards them. Here's a rough translitteration into the (extended) Latin alphabet of the Arabic script:

"wa-allātī takhāfūna nushūzahunna faʿiẓūhunna wa-uh'jurūhunna fī l-maḍājiʿi wa-iḍ'ribūhunna"

["But those [wives] from whom you fear arrogance - [first] advise them; [then if they persist], forsake them in bed; and [finally], strike them."]

Note the parts in bold, which repeat: "ūhunna" where the "ūh" part means "you" (masculine, subject) and the "unna" part means "them" (feminine, object). The verb are all in their imperative form, which implies a command.

There's a progression of commands, from an advice through words (faʿiẓūhunna, from root wāw ʿayn ẓā "to instruct, to admonish") then through denying intimacy (wa-uh'jurūhunna, from root hā jīm rā "to avoid, to forsake, to emigrate").

The context clearly excludes the meaning of "to present/to show" (there's no referent, no "to Z" structure). Is it possible that the meaning is to "turn them away", i.e. metaphorically, to reject them? No, because this use isn't attested in the Qu'ran when talking about people. It'd be non-literal, metaphorical use, which would open the gates to non-literalism in general.

So if you take the Qu'ran literally there's no room to argue that the Qu'ran sanctions and recommends wife-beating as a response to repeated acts of "arrogance" or better yet "ill-conduct" (nushūzahunna).

What exactly does "nushūz" mean in the Qu'ran is a question for another post, but the narrative that islam is AGAINST wife-beating has no textual support.

People are welcome to force a non-literal, metaphoric meaning over "wadribuhunna", but a) the use in other parts of the Qu'ran b) the grammar structure of sentence in the 34th verse of the 4th sura which contains the word, and c) the overall context of the 34th verse clearly suggest that the literal meaning relates to the concept of beating/striking/hitting.

Expect another post on the concept of "nushūz", how the word is used in Qu'ran, what is said in the ahadith, how people usually interpret it, and more.