Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads
Throbbing Abraham

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by Throbbing Abraham »

I wonder if somewhere on the dreamy plains of the backchannel, PZ is frothing about the enlightened humility he has so heroically evolved into thanks to his 'spiritual advisers'.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Cunning Punt wrote:Oh boy, he also uses "wherein" as well as "nary". Pretentious twat. Death's too good for him*.

(*Note: this is a joke.)

Then you do not want to hear me in real life. I not only use those words and more, but just my accent raises hackles in certain quarters.

Quite amusing really.

fascination

Post by fascination »

Spence wrote:
fascination wrote:From the article:
"The conviction rate for rape is 58%. That bears repeating. The conviction rate for rape, is 58%. The conviction rate for reportable crimes of all types is 57%. I know you will have heard the figure of 6%. Everyone has. That figure is actually an attrition rate, not a conviction rate, and even as an attrition rate it is wrong – the attrition rate for rape is in the region of 12%."

These are figures from the U.K. I don't know the figures for the U.S.
Conviction rate in the UK for violent crimes is 69% - higher than rape.

Also, crown court conviction rates in the UK are 83% (see here), much higher than rape. Note a rape trial is always heard in front of a jury and therefore is always heard in the crown court. Not sure where 57% comes from, probably includes magistrate courts etc (which are not relevant in this case, and would be an apples and pears comparison). However, the 58% sounds about right.

Bottom line: the conviction rate for rape in the UK is lower than other violent crimes, and significantly lower than other crimes on a like-for-like basis in the UK.
Thanks for the info. The link in the original article I posted is to another article: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... ading.html
I would have liked them to linked to a study but oh well. I'll take your word on the 69% figure. I'm not a UK citizen so I'm not as familiar with their justice system. I think the point of the original article was that the conviction rate for rape wasn't as low as most people believe. A lot of people believed it was as low as 6% (because of misinformation from feminist organizations apparently) and this was putting some women off of reporting their rape.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

decius wrote:Oh, Jack, I almost forgot.

A few months ago you made a variety of claims about the likelihood for an innocent man of being tried and convicted of rape.

I did check also that. All stats indicate the opposite being true. In most western democracies, the majority of reports don't even make it to court; police and prosecutors are well aware of the likelihood of false accusation and alleged rape victims are thoroughly investigated; conviction rate for rape are on average lower than for other violent crimes.

It is true that in past decades, it was more difficult for rape victim to obtain justice. Corrective steps have been taken and this has led to an increased number of wrongful convictions. But the large picture is not the one painted by the MRA, and by you in particular.

But by omitting to present the wider picture and offering only your skewed view, you have in fact engaged in another propaganda tactic, which is the creation of moral panic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_panic
Do you have sources for that? I would be interested in seeing them.

(not to mention I am sure the Community of the Wrongly Accused may have a different perspective see: http://www.cotwa.info/)

Steersman

Re: Mighty Hero Myers

Post by Steersman »

Skep tickle wrote:
Steersman wrote:... http://i46.tinypic.com/350maeb.jpg

Which is not at all true since Myers did not actually delete at least three posts from Skep Tickle /Skeptixx. And I informed you of that through a message on TBS and a post here plus a further message on TBS which I didn’t save but which included, I think, the required proof for those with limited skills in obtaining the “most trivial piece of information”. Not at all a case of “nit-picking trivia” to point out that Myers did not, in fact, “erase all traces of Skeptixx’s posts”. ...
I haven't been back to that thread since being banned, hadn't thought my posts were deleted, and now I'm a tad confused looking at the "Despise...feminism" thread at Pharyngula, which is said to have 1166 comments, but I'm only seeing #1001 on without a link to the older ones. (I think mine were in the 300's).

There are three pages to that thread now – and, unfortunately, the page-scroller is apparently only available at the bottom; three of your posts (#317, 319, 340) are on page 1. And I use the browser [IE8] search function for finding posts by various people or particular phrases they might have used.

Though, in passing, I hate going to FfTB for many reasons, but a major one is that I find that all of the ads cause the pages to load very slowly – if adblocker or the like would prevent that then I would look into using it.
Not getting anything either w/ a search of "skeptixx" though a couple of people had used that 'nym in their post, while castigating me, including (come to think of it) PZ. But maybe their search function only searches the topic posts.
Don't feel like poking around to try to verify what's up w/ that, though. Instead, I was cheered up and distracted by this apparently mixed message that greeted me at Pharyngula:

http://i.imgur.com/cdRen.png
Ah yes, serendipitous irony; who says "Gawd" doesn't have a sense of humour? …. :-)

AchronTimeless

Post by AchronTimeless »

fascination wrote:A lot of people believed it was as low as 6% (because of misinformation from feminist organizations apparently) and this was putting some women off of reporting their rape.
That's when it stars falling into "self fulfilling prophecy" territory. Oh, well more and more women aren't reporting rapes and if we throw an estimation in of what that number might be (on tuesdays when the moon is juuust right) then we lower the percentage to a depressing conviction level. That'll make women not bother reporting rapes, thus making reality start to match the numbers they pulled out of their ass and ultimately letting them stand up and say "Hey, we were right all along" when someone does figure out how track the damage they've caused.

I'd be impressed if I thought they were engineering it on purpose. Disturbing either way.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Anyone know if any of the Baboons have put out an official response (aka hitpiece) on Thunderfoot's latest video? Opheliar and Svan are usually so quick off the mark.

Al Stefanelli

Post by Al Stefanelli »

CommanderTuvok wrote:Anyone know if any of the Baboons have put out an official response (aka hitpiece) on Thunderfoot's latest video? Opheliar and Svan are usually so quick off the mark.
No info yet, but this ass-fedora posted this reply on his channel:

[youtube]DRYGjUyT9Zo[/youtube]

BoxNDox

Post by BoxNDox »

BarnOwl wrote:
welch wrote: It's a rather handy tool for running a network, especially now that HP and Cisco have gotten off that Java kick. But, just like driving a truck requires different skills than riding a skateboard, you have to learn how the iPad actually works to use it well. Just like you have to learn at least a minimum of how OS X/Windows/Linux work to use THOSE platforms well. You don't have to be a sysadmin by any means, but you have to learn *something*.
Will you please talk to the administrative higher-ups at my uni about this? I keep telling them that if they expect us to develop e-learning modules and self-tests that work well on an iPad or smartphone, they need to buy us iPads so that we can learn how they work and use them appropriately in the context of curriculum development.

Still waiting for that iPad, of course. They could buy a metric fucketonne of them, for the amount applied instead to annual salary for yet another useless deanlet. /rant
Since the empty chair test failures aren't limited to deans (although at some institutions they seem to be concentrated there), I prefer the term "educrat" to "deanlet". I used it frequently back in my teaching days.

And on a side note, if you're sexting by sending around pictures of "your pimply ass", I'm afraid you're not doing it right. Maybe some of the the dumb rubbed off on the students.

Spence

Post by Spence »

fascination wrote:Thanks for the info. The link in the original article I posted is to another article: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... ading.html
I would have liked them to linked to a study but oh well. I'll take your word on the 69% figure. I'm not a UK citizen so I'm not as familiar with their justice system. I think the point of the original article was that the conviction rate for rape wasn't as low as most people believe. A lot of people believed it was as low as 6% (because of misinformation from feminist organizations apparently) and this was putting some women off of reporting their rape.
I think the 58% and 69% come from CPS figures here.

The figure of 6% (think it is more like 7%) is from police report to conviction. It is a relevant figure, but yes it is abused by feminists and can lead to people not reporting rape, which is a serious problem.

Most of my info comes from my GF, who I mentioned in the early days of the ERV threads used to do voluntary work in a rape and sexual abuse crisis centre, so I've learned quite a lot about rape facts and myths through her. Some things stand out as a red rag to me (such as a belief you can get meaningful info on rape stats by looking at press cuttings...)

Curiously, the two groups that would annoy the leaders in the sexual abuse charities were topped by old guys who still have 1950s attitudes and think that rape is caused by women who dressed slutty, but a close second were feminists who thought they knew it all because they were concerned about womyn's issues, but actually knew next to nothing about the problems on the ground. The charity workers used to get surprisingly pissed off at the fems, they often did more damage than help due to their ignorance.

Both groups cared little about the surprisingly large number of male rape victims, who end up as the forgotten ones in much of this. The other thing is the focus on "stranger danger", which is actually a small minority of rapes, but is most effective at creating fear; most rapes are committed by friends, family members, but that doesn't have the scare factor. The fems tend to make claims about "rape culture", and I've some of the pharynula horde fems insist that because of the "rape culture", they have to have a chaperone when going out, and have to be home by 6pm. That chaperone a friend or relative? More likely to rape you than the stranger in a bar. Back home by 6pm? Exactly where and when most rapes happen. These people have no clue.

Reap

Post by Reap »

JackRayner wrote:
Reap wrote:This is for Franc and just cause

http://reapsowradio.com/graphics/pzchallenge.png

on the feminist challenge post
That challenge has been out in the wild for a while. It's been revived a few times, too. I think it will be a cold day in Hell if P. Zachary ever steps up.

So don't noboby be goin' an' holding yer breaths!

It never hurts to remind a chickenshit exactly what they are and I enjoy thinking about the few moments of time PZ has to take out of his already wasted life to ban me again however petty it may be

Al Stefanelli

Post by Al Stefanelli »

[youtube]5b16ezZ1t8c[/youtube]

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

KacyRay wrote:...

I perused over to Greta's blog for the first time last night and attempted to strike up a conversation. I was banned almost immediately. Apparently the mere suggestion that a woman who is being gang-raped (or otherwise victimized) may find that she has choices to make - choices that might determine whether she lives or dies - and that some choices might be better than others in terms of survival strategy - was a capital offense. Instant ban. And I received a few "fuck you"s once I was banned from her peanut gallery. Classy bunch over there.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/greta/2012/ ... rrendered/

I just now checked up on it, and it appears that one guy spoke up for the fact that I was asking a reasonable question, and Greta put him on "comment moderation" status. Then she proceeded to explain that she not only allows dissent but encourages it. ...
Wow. That's really something. And you were being so careful to preface your remarks, and to be clear in your communications.

Looks like you were banned in part due to your "vile behavior [sic] on other blogs" at FtB. (All bolding below added by me)
Rodney Nelson at Greta's blog wrote:
You’re saying it is incumbent upon the aggressor to devise a survival strategy for the victim?
Yes it is. The prospective rapist should decide not to rape the victim.

The is a culture endemic throughout the world that says rape is acceptable. This is called, oddly enough, the rape culture. If enough people work to make the rape culture socially unacceptable, then the number of rapes will decrease. Prospective rapists will know their behavior is unacceptable and will be less likely to rape.

So YOU have to do your part to devise a survival strategy for rape victims.

Incidentally, I’m having serious doubts as to whether or not you’re an honest interlocutor. Your reputation on other FTB blogs is, shall I say, less than sterling.
Greta Christina wrote:
Is there any room to question a woman’s behavior while she’s being raped in regards to survival strategy?
That person has a choice to make, don’t they? And that choice has implications. And that choice is subject to scrutiny…
kacyray @ #12: No. There is no reason to question a rape victim’s behavior in regards to their rape, or to subject it to scrutiny. Perseverating on this topic is a classic example of “Yes, but…” derailment, and is a way of trivializing the subject. And the fact that you think this is a valid question to be raising (in combination with your vile behavior in other blogs) has earned you a ban from this blog.
(No, no, no! "Scrutiny" is a bad thing. See how close it is to "scrotum"?)

Here's bushcat holding up your end of the "conversation" well after you'd been banned:
Oh yea, Jesse. Let’s not talk about survival strategies. It’s too uncomfortably pragmatic. Let’s be romantic and imagine we can put an end to rape, as we have to murder, burglary and fraud.
Here's part of Greta Christina's reply to bushcat:
...The whole point of this post was that examining a rape victim’s actions after their rape to question and scrutinize their choices and look at what they might have done better — as opposed to looking at how we can discourage and prevent potential rapists from committing rape — is reprehensible. ...

The question on the table is not, “Are there techniques that rape victims might employ to increase their chances of survival?” That may be the topic you want to discuss — but it is not the topic on the table. That would be an appropriate topic for another thread. On this thread, it is a classic example of exactly the kind of behavior that this post is condemning.

And riding roughshod over a blogger’s clearly stated comment policy, and blatantly disregarding her clearly stated wishes over what conversation topics in her blog are and are not appropriate and where, is what’s “not in keeping with free thought.” You have a right to express whatever views you like. You do not have the right to express them anywhere you like, at any time.

Normally at this point, I would be giving you one last chance to apologize and make amends. But today is supposed to be one of my very few days off from work, and I don’t want to have to spend all day monitoring the comments here to see if you’re still at it. So I’m putting you into comment moderation. Any further comments you make here will need to be approved by me before they get posted.
Riiiiiight. Anything that seems to question the righteousness of the blogger's topic post is "not in keeping with free thought". Good one, Greta. :doh:

Rawrsome

Post by Rawrsome »

Reap wrote:
franc wrote:
Gumby wrote:Welcome, dougal445! Jump right in and join the mayhem.
Likewise welcome. Don't be put off by the Eucliwood kerfuffle. Extraordinary dimwits evoke extraordinary responses. That thing is pretty much one of a kind.
Everytime Franc says "kerfuffle" I giggle.......I can't help it. Somehow I think if I ever make it to Australia I'll get my ass kicked a few times.

Using the word ass would definitely get your arse kicked in Australia.

Al Stefanelli

Post by Al Stefanelli »

Skep tickle wrote:

I perused over to Greta's blog for the first time last night and attempted to strike up a conversation. I was banned almost immediately. Apparently the mere suggestion that a woman who is being gang-raped (or otherwise victimized) may find that she has choices to make - choices that might determine whether she lives or dies - and that some choices might be better than others in terms of survival strategy - was a capital offense. Instant ban. And I received a few "fuck you"s once I was banned from her peanut gallery. Classy bunch over there.

I just now checked up on it, and it appears that one guy spoke up for the fact that I was asking a reasonable question, and Greta put him on "comment moderation" status. Then she proceeded to explain that she not only allows dissent but encourages it. ...
Wow. That's really something. And you were being so careful to preface your remarks, and to be clear in your communications.

Looks like you were banned in part due to your "vile behavior [sic] on other blogs" at FtB. (All bolding below added by me)
You’re saying it is incumbent upon the aggressor to devise a survival strategy for the victim?

The is a culture endemic throughout the world that says rape is acceptable. This is called, oddly enough, the rape culture. If enough people work to make the rape culture socially unacceptable, then the number of rapes will decrease. Prospective rapists will know their behavior is unacceptable and will be less likely to rape.

Incidentally, I’m having serious doubts as to whether or not you’re an honest interlocutor. Your reputation on other FTB blogs is, shall I say, less than sterling.
Greta Christina wrote:
Is there any room to question a woman’s behavior while she’s being raped in regards to survival strategy?
That person has a choice to make, don’t they? And that choice has implications. And that choice is subject to scrutiny…
kacyray @ #12: No. There is no reason to question a rape victim’s behavior in regards to their rape, or to subject it to scrutiny. Perseverating on this topic is a classic example of “Yes, but…” derailment, and is a way of trivializing the subject. And the fact that you think this is a valid question to be raising (in combination with your vile behavior in other blogs) has earned you a ban from this blog.

Here's bushcat holding up your end of the "conversation" well after you'd been banned:
Oh yea, Jesse. Let’s not talk about survival strategies. It’s too uncomfortably pragmatic. Let’s be romantic and imagine we can put an end to rape, as we have to murder, burglary and fraud.
...The whole point of this post was that examining a rape victim’s actions after their rape to question and scrutinize their choices and look at what they might have done better — as opposed to looking at how we can discourage and prevent potential rapists from committing rape — is reprehensible. ...

The question on the table is not, “Are there techniques that rape victims might employ to increase their chances of survival?” That may be the topic you want to discuss — but it is not the topic on the table. That would be an appropriate topic for another thread. On this thread, it is a classic example of exactly the kind of behavior that this post is condemning.

And riding roughshod over a blogger’s clearly stated comment policy, and blatantly disregarding her clearly stated wishes over what conversation topics in her blog are and are not appropriate and where, is what’s “not in keeping with free thought.” You have a right to express whatever views you like. You do not have the right to express them anywhere you like, at any time.

Normally at this point, I would be giving you one last chance to apologize and make amends. But today is supposed to be one of my very few days off from work, and I don’t want to have to spend all day monitoring the comments here to see if you’re still at it. So I’m putting you into comment moderation. Any further comments you make here will need to be approved by me before they get posted.
Riiiiiight. Anything that seems to question the righteousness of the blogger's topic post is "not in keeping with free thought". Good one, Greta. :doh:
I just... what... can't...

Dan

Post by Dan »

CommanderTuvok wrote:Anyone know if any of the Baboons have put out an official response (aka hitpiece) on Thunderfoot's latest video? Opheliar and Svan are usually so quick off the mark.
All quiet on the FC5/6 front. I wander if they've been given a gag order. There's not even a peep from Old Prunie and The Disinterested Cow.

KacyRay

Post by KacyRay »

@skep tickle

Again... thanks for confirming that I'm not insane.

I guess it's true... in an insane world, a sane man would appear insane.

franc

Post by franc »

Dilurk wrote:
Al Stefanelli wrote:
WoolyBumblebee wrote:About Joé McKen (Bio I found on-line). He does not hide himself at all on-line. :doh:

"My name is Joé McKen... I suppose my double-jackpot of mild Asperger's and mild Tourette's may count for that in some way or another.

Welp, that explains a lot...
Only TWO neurological disorders? TWO?? Fucker needs to check his privilege...
Whining kid he's no aspie but using it as an excuse. http://isnt.autistics.org
Yes, aspies do not respond to people like this -

Wow. That was feeble, even for you. Sheesh.

I have, and it is, to the point where if you don’t see it, then there’s really nothing more to discuss.

It's cute how you cupcakes...

And yes, that is the extent of my response to that load of wet flatulence you posted for a comment

etc.

franc

Post by franc »

DataNotDogma wrote:What the fuck does "may be neurotypical" mean?
"Privileged"

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Skep tickle wrote: Riiiiiight. Anything that seems to question the righteousness of the blogger's topic post is "not in keeping with free thought". Good one, Greta. :doh:
FfTB has always been at war with Eastasia.

Rawrsome

Post by Rawrsome »

Al Stefanelli wrote:

I love the look on his face.

Its the same type of look my dog used to give when he forgot that shitting was an outside activity.

EdgePenguin

Post by EdgePenguin »

franc wrote:
Dilurk wrote:
Al Stefanelli wrote:
WoolyBumblebee wrote:About Joé McKen (Bio I found on-line). He does not hide himself at all on-line. :doh:

"My name is Joé McKen... I suppose my double-jackpot of mild Asperger's and mild Tourette's may count for that in some way or another.

Welp, that explains a lot...
Only TWO neurological disorders? TWO?? Fucker needs to check his privilege...
Whining kid he's no aspie but using it as an excuse. http://isnt.autistics.org
Yes, aspies do not respond to people like this -

Wow. That was feeble, even for you. Sheesh.

I have, and it is, to the point where if you don’t see it, then there’s really nothing more to discuss.

It's cute how you cupcakes...

And yes, that is the extent of my response to that load of wet flatulence you posted for a comment

etc.
I'm fairly sure that 'aspies' have roughly the same range of language to throw at people as 'neurotypicals'. Lets be honest here; Asperger's Syndrome is not a hugely debilitating condition. Suffers still have have easily enough mental capacity to be dicks to people.

The reason for all this seems to have been lost in this monolithic thread. Whats this guy done other than being pretentious?

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Isn't a diagnosis of "Aspergers" about to be consumed into "Autism spectrum disorders" anyway?

franc

Post by franc »

Neat.

[spoiler]

Code: Select all

* g o a t s e x * g o a t s e x * g o a t s e x *
g                                               g  
o /     \             \            /    \       o
a|       |             \          |      |      a
t|       `.             |         |       :     t
s`        |             |        \|       |     s
e \       | /       /  \\\   --__ \\       :    e
x  \      \/   _--~~          ~--__| \     |    x  
*   \      \_-~                    ~-_\    |    *
g    \_     \        _.--------.______\|   |    g
o      \     \______// _ ___ _ (_(__>  \   |    o
a       \   .  C ___)  ______ (_(____>  |  /    a
t       /\ |   C ____)/      \ (_____>  |_/     t
s      / /\|   C_____)       |  (___>   /  \    s
e     |   (   _C_____)\______/  // _/ /     \   e
x     |    \  |__   \\_________// (__/       |  x
*    | \    \____)   `----   --'             |  *
g    |  \_          ___\       /_          _/ | g
o   |              /    |     |  \            | o
a   |             |    /       \  \           | a
t   |          / /    |         |  \           |t
s   |         / /      \__/\___/    |          |s
e  |           /        |    |       |         |e
x  |          |         |    |       |         |x
* g o a t s e x * g o a t s e x * g o a t s e x *
[/spoiler]

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Al Stefanelli wrote:

I'll skip any analysis of his argument as the amount of straw involved might set off my hay fever.
The one thing I noticed from him was something he appears to share with the FTB horde: an utter disdain for his fellow atheists.
It's like a weird inverse version of "Jews For Jesus"; "Atheists against Atheism".

Dan

Post by Dan »

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Just unlurking from my holiday to say welcome back MKG.

Oh, and to say that in my experience of internet land Eucliwood, when someone discloses that they are a young perverted female, then in real life they tend to look something like:

http://events.skepchick.org/files/2011/ ... laden.jpeg

Shocking, I know.

(PS - assume piss taking in all things Pit)

Hemisphere

Post by Hemisphere »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:Isn't a diagnosis of "Aspergers" about to be consumed into "Autism spectrum disorders" anyway?
That is indeed the way it looks right now. Once the DSM-5 is available then everyone will just have to say they've got 'mild autistic spectrum disorder'. Or perhaps pervasive-developmental-disorder-not-otherwise-specified (much more mysterious sounding) if their symptoms are a bit atypical.

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

Random Twitter annoyances--

1. So after McCreight went all 'WE TOTES NEED A LADY IRON CHEF!!!!' after she watched an episode of 'Next Iron Chef' and was therefore an expert (even though there already is an awesome but gay so not lady enough Iron Chef and arguments could be made for any of the other contestants being the next Iron Chef), Alex Guarnaschelli (lady Alex) won. McCreight couldnt bother to Tweet her 'Congratulations!!!'

The appearance of being 'feminist' is more important than supporting accomplished women, apparently.

2. Twatson, seeing as she only responds to trolls and not actual humans, still hasnt gotten around to explaining her Evolutionary Psychology abortion, but managed to find the time to insult a crude detractor on Twitter by calling them a virgin.

Its *weird* how focused Rebecca Watson is on S-E-X.

There is a long list of things I would call someone if I genuinely wanted to hurt their feelings. 'Virgin' isnt on that list. Not because it is SO OFFENSIVE but because its not even remotely offensive. We generally encourage young children to be virgins. In some cultures virgins are revered. Some people are very happy virgins by choice into adulthood, asexuals, aspies who do not fucking want to be touched, etc. Lots of lesbians these days live their entire lives without ever having hetero-sex and could, with a very specific definition, still be considered 'virgins'.

But 'virgin' is on the top of Watsons oh-so-enlightened list of insults for a poster she presumes is male, which she used to encourage traditional male stereotypes (HAVE LOTS OF SEXAH TIME OR U NO DOOOD!).

Rebecca Watson is so *WEIRD*.

Al Stefanelli

Post by Al Stefanelli »

Dan wrote:More baboon shit

http://i.imgur.com/Gcqyk.png
Was the NSC DMCA comment lifted from my YouTube channel comments? On my phone, atm, and combing through almost 600 comments isn't on my list of things I want to do.

franc

Post by franc »

JackRayner wrote:
Reap wrote:This is for Franc and just cause

http://reapsowradio.com/graphics/pzchallenge.png

on the feminist challenge post
That challenge has been out in the wild for a while. It's been revived a few times, too. I think it will be a cold day in Hell if P. Zachary ever steps up.

So don't noboby be goin' an' holding yer breaths!
Needs to be framed next to his declaring victory because no coward would venture into his feminism "free" discussion thread.

somedumbguy

Post by somedumbguy »

Al Stefanelli wrote:

And this sequel

[youtube]QHZR9SA5pOg[/youtube]

Did he really say (yes he did)
"[He] is now attacking feminism which he knows nothing about. I'd be the first to admit that I don't know much about the movement myself. But based upon what I've seen and what I do know from those that have informed me about it, it is a worthwhile movement" and filled with puppies and kittens.
How many assumptions and terrible fallacies are in those few lines?

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

EdgePenguin wrote:I'm fairly sure that 'aspies' have roughly the same range of language to throw at people as 'neurotypicals'. Lets be honest here; Asperger's Syndrome is not a hugely debilitating condition. Suffers still have have easily enough mental capacity to be dicks to people.

The reason for all this seems to have been lost in this monolithic thread. Whats this guy done other than being pretentious?
Here's a place to start: http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/search.ph ... 3%A9+McKen

Here's a recent link to a post JM put up:
Dan wrote:Joé McKen has a new post up about Al and the Pit. http://preliatorcausa.blogspot.com/2012 ... .html#more
following this exchange:
Al Stefanelli wrote:Joe replies...

http://www.wcoa.info/McKen4.jpg

Tkmlac

Post by Tkmlac »

Hemisphere wrote:
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:Isn't a diagnosis of "Aspergers" about to be consumed into "Autism spectrum disorders" anyway?
That is indeed the way it looks right now. Once the DSM-5 is available then everyone will just have to say they've got 'mild autistic spectrum disorder'. Or perhaps pervasive-developmental-disorder-not-otherwise-specified (much more mysterious sounding) if their symptoms are a bit atypical.
You know, I work with developmentally disabled adults. Many of them are on the Autism spectrum AND have mild, moderate or severe mental retardation. The people I've met who don't have any mental retardation but are "on the spectrum" are indistinguishable from socially awkward assholes.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Tony Parsehole wrote:Spoilers eh?
[spoiler]http://www.myspacesarcasm.com/myspace-a ... ancing.gif[/spoiler]
Which one's you, and which your brother?

Spence

Post by Spence »

Al Stefanelli wrote:

Was the NSC DMCA comment lifted from my YouTube channel comments? On my phone, atm, and combing through almost 600 comments isn't on my list of things I want to do.
Yeah, looks like it, comment by mecher3k on your video from a couple of days ago. Quite well buried now.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Lsuoma wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:Spoilers eh?
[spoiler]http://www.myspacesarcasm.com/myspace-a ... ancing.gif[/spoiler]
Which one's you, and which your brother?
I'm totally the one in the red shirt.
See that passion? Can't be faked.

Spence

Post by Spence »

That thought crossed my mind, but all I could find was PeeZus telling everyone disaster planning is what STOOOOPID OLD PEOPLE do.

Al Stefanelli

Post by Al Stefanelli »

Spence wrote:
Al Stefanelli wrote:

Yeah, looks like it, comment by mecher3k on your video from a couple of days ago. Quite well buried now.
OK, thanks. Just wondered if there was a connection to that and the copyright complaint that was sent to YouTube about my video. I'll peek around later. Maybe.

franc

Re: Mighty Hero Myers

Post by franc »

Skep tickle wrote:
Steersman wrote:... http://i46.tinypic.com/350maeb.jpg

Which is not at all true since Myers did not actually delete at least three posts from Skep Tickle /Skeptixx. And I informed you of that through a message on TBS and a post here plus a further message on TBS which I didn’t save but which included, I think, the required proof for those with limited skills in obtaining the “most trivial piece of information”. Not at all a case of “nit-picking trivia” to point out that Myers did not, in fact, “erase all traces of Skeptixx’s posts”. ...
I haven't been back to that thread since being banned, hadn't thought my posts were deleted, and now I'm a tad confused looking at the "Despise...feminism" thread at Pharyngula, which is said to have 1166 comments, but I'm only seeing #1001 on without a link to the older ones. (I think mine were in the 300's).

Not getting anything either w/ a search of "skeptixx" though a couple of people had used that 'nym in their post, while castigating me, including (come to think of it) PZ. But maybe their search function only searches the topic posts.
Do your own fucking work Steersman, you ass sucking parasite. As stated on TBS -
It’s not good enough to point out X is inadequate because of Y without actually getting up off your ass and supplying information and links to what Y is.
Somehow, you can find the time to screencap and link TBS, but you simply can't do the most rudimentary search anywhere else and instead demand people here do it for you - in this case, Skeptixx comments. Why not provide direct links? Why is that Steers? Surely a simple link is less work than a screencap and imgur upload link?

I'll tell you why. Because you are a professional derailer that tittilates himself by getting folks here to run around chasing shadows and doing all the work for you.

Why the whole 'pit doesn't have you set on "ignore" is beyond me.

Dan

Post by Dan »

Al Stefanelli wrote:

I have links http://t.co/rq0Cj5LL http://t.co/n6skRuMO their names are not familiar

Hemisphere

Post by Hemisphere »

Tkmlac wrote:
Hemisphere wrote:
You know, I work with developmentally disabled adults. Many of them are on the Autism spectrum AND have mild, moderate or severe mental retardation. The people I've met who don't have any mental retardation but are "on the spectrum" are indistinguishable from socially awkward assholes.
There isn't a whole lot to distinguish from just being a socially awkward introvert. Since it is typically fairly mild (and gets milder with age and education) I've always considered the most important criteria in the DSM-4 to be whether or not it cause significant impairments in important areas of function (e.g. social or occupational). But there isn't really any sure-fire way to diagnose the mild cases since research into genetic causes is in its infancy (last I checked they were suggesting that up to 12 different genes on several different chromosomes were involved). Brain scans are nice and all that but no GP is going to refer a socially awkward person to a neurologist just to confirm.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Abbie:
2. Twatson, seeing as she only responds to trolls and not actual humans, still hasnt gotten around to explaining her Evolutionary Psychology abortion, but managed to find the time to insult a crude detractor on Twitter by calling them a virgin.
Gee, she like 14 years old or something. You would think, being a staunch feminist and a protector of women from harassment, she would actually value virginity. Since virginity is often lost because hormone-soddled boys chase after the girlz...

Funnilly enough, I imagine the A/S community has a higher percentage of virgins since it is packed full of nerds/Aspies, etc. Rebecca, being one of the popular jock-girls, probably can't recognise this notion. Why do I get the feeling Rebecca Watson was part of a bullying clique at school? I can imagine it very easily.

welch

Post by welch »

Skep tickle wrote:

Greta Christina wrote:

Oh you hit Greta's rule 9. Me too, and I wasn't even vaguely rude or derailing.

It's Greta's way of banning people without having to have a real reason, but sans the inconvenience of having to suck it up and admit she's banning you solely for personal issues.

welch

Post by welch »

I'd ask what the fuck is that even about, but aratina being the source...that's actually fairly coherent.

Mr Danksworth

Post by Mr Danksworth »

ERV wrote: 2. Twatson, seeing as she only responds to trolls and not actual humans, still hasnt gotten around to explaining her Evolutionary Psychology abortion, but managed to find the time to insult a crude detractor on Twitter by calling them a virgin.

Its *weird* how focused Rebecca Watson is on S-E-X.

There is a long list of things I would call someone if I genuinely wanted to hurt their feelings. 'Virgin' isnt on that list. Not because it is SO OFFENSIVE but because its not even remotely offensive. We generally encourage young children to be virgins. In some cultures virgins are revered. Some people are very happy virgins by choice into adulthood, asexuals, aspies who do not fucking want to be touched, etc. Lots of lesbians these days live their entire lives without ever having hetero-sex and could, with a very specific definition, still be considered 'virgins'.

But 'virgin' is on the top of Watsons oh-so-enlightened list of insults for a poster she presumes is male, which she used to encourage traditional male stereotypes (HAVE LOTS OF SEXAH TIME OR U NO DOOOD!).

Rebecca Watson is so *WEIRD*.
Virgin is meant to be emasculating. It's the go to for insulting males in general. She also could have gone with
faggot, queer, pussy, cocksucker, or sissy.

welch

Post by welch »

I would give much to read the mod - only forums on A+

somedumbguy

Post by somedumbguy »

Spence

Post by Spence »

Dan wrote:
Al Stefanelli wrote:Was the NSC DMCA comment lifted from my YouTube channel comments? On my phone, atm, and combing through almost 600 comments isn't on my list of things I want to do.
I have links http://t.co/rq0Cj5LL http://t.co/n6skRuMO their names are not familiar
I note from your second link that NonStampCollector suggested:
NonStampCollector on Youtube wrote:I'd recommend others do what I do with the whole A+/ feminism "drama": don't read anything to do with it. Problem solved.
Hmm. There were 36 matches for "NonStampCollector" in the comments of Al's video, of which just 3 were people using his name in their own comments; so NSC keeps out of the debate by posting no less than 33 comments on Al's video.

Not quite sticking to your own advice there, NSC.

Darren

Post by Darren »

Al Stefanelli wrote:

It appears so:

http://i.imgur.com/XD7Lm.png

I'm getting a bit sick of the appropriation of the "slymepitter" label to mean "anyone who disagrees with us".

cunt

Post by cunt »

That A+ "hugs" thread was actually a spin off from another one about a congressional hearing regarding autism.

http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3089
The whole thing was all about how Autistics are an emergency, a burden, a tsunami, a crisis, the worst thing ever. Worse than polio, they said. No shit.

Why do they hate us so much?

Why do they hate us so much?

Why? why? why do they hate us so much?
Fucking hell and Sir Patrick Stewart, among other nerd heroes, is performing to benefit one of the hate groups who testified (autism speaks. Theyre a hate group. See: Autism Every Day, their first video. Or anything theyve said ever).

So much for being the one true capitain. Or diversity and shit. Facepalm all the fucking way home, asshat.
I found the vid.

[youtube]O0vCz2KWMM0[/youtube]

These A+ pricks don't have autism, not like those kids do. There they are though, talking shit about organisations advocating general awareness of autism, increased funding for special ed. departments, more support and understanding for parents of autistic children... They're complaining that a congressional hearings was held to discuss how much the US government could actually do to help real people in a really difficult situation. Fucking infuriating bunch of useless wankers.

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

CommanderTuvok wrote:Funnilly enough, I imagine the A/S community has a higher percentage of virgins since it is packed full of nerds/Aspies, etc.
I was a total 'late bloomer'. I had shit to worry about with school/extracurriculars/sports, getting and keeping the best scholarships, getting into the schools I wanted-- Sex, in any form, was low on my priority list. I also found it hard to find people that I was intellectually and emotionally attracted to in the small farming town I grew up in, and then I went to college in a different small farming town.

I know a virologist who loves to recruit med students for this very reason-- When they get to medical school, theyre a bunch of inexperienced nerds from smaller towns, and many of them have managed to escape Mono. They get to medical school, finally meet people they are into/can use the 'med student' thing to their advantage/have some free time and free money, and then they get all slutty and get Mono. The virologist says theyre great for getting pre-/post-Mono-exposure antibody profiles! Its quite clever of him to target them.

So these med students, with all of their accomplishments, should be ashamed of their virgin status?

Maybe thats Watsons hook. She looks down on others virginity because losing hers is the only thing she has accomplished with her life.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Darren wrote:
Al Stefanelli wrote:

It appears so:

I'm getting a bit sick of the appropriation of the "slymepitter" label to mean "anyone who disagrees with us".
As someone pointed out, though, there's no reason for anyone who disagrees with the FfTards NOT to register here for fear of being labeled a Pitter.

Sophistry

Post by Sophistry »

Not sure how to link but Adam Lee has a post about Reap on BigThink:

http://bigthink.com/daylight-atheism/th ... eeze-peach

Rawrsome

Post by Rawrsome »

This guy just gets more awesome.

Look out guys we have a dude with a text book over here.

[youtube]Zq2LQrWFrTg[/youtube]

cunt

Post by cunt »

No, you've got a troll.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Back from mid-November, but I don't recall seeing this here. Becky Whatnot has a huge list of apologies to people she was rude to during some speaking tour of hers. Most of the apologies are for being either drunk, or else a selfish and self-important cunt. Honestly, the whole thing is exactly like what recovering addicts are encouraged to write during 12-step recovery programs:
I’m sorry that:

1. I drank all the moonshine at the CSICon moonshine party (pictured)

2. I couldn’t wear my Wild Bill mustache (pictured) throughout the CSICon costume party because at one point it fell off and Richard Wiseman shoved it down his pants. Actually I’m not sorry about that but I thought I’d mention it in the hopes that Richard is sorry about it because that mustache really tied the whole costume together.

3. I was basically never at my CSICon merch table because I was constantly chatting with interesting people outside the conference room

4. I fell asleep at like 10pm on the last night of CSICon. I was very, very tired

5. I only left the speakers’ tent once during the blisteringly hot Florida Secular Rally, when someone tweeted to point out the fact that I wasn’t leaving the speakers’ tent

6. I marched out of the tent into the crowd, demanding to speak to Sean to prove I had left the tent

7. I ran back to the tent immediately after finding Sean

8. I ended my Skepticon talk by joking, “No more questions? Great, let’s just go to the bar.” I did not realize that a significant chunk of the audience would take me seriously and leave before seeing the last act of the day, Keith Lowell Jensen. Keith! I’m sorry!

9. I lost my voice by the time my talk was over, making me not very much fun for the rest of my time there
http://skepchick.org/2012/11/apologies-3/

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Darren wrote:
Al Stefanelli wrote:

It appears so:

Hmm... a Godwin? I don't know, that kinda looks a little planted, if it wasn't for the DMCA reference.
sacha wrote:
KarlVonMox wrote:Im only 25 though, and from what I hear its difficult at my age for a doctor to take you seriously if you say you want a vasectomy.
easy surgery, easy recovery, and easily reversed.

It is difficult for a woman to get her tubes tied at that age.
I've heard the exact same, due to the ease of reversing the vasectomy. I have a friend who got her tubes tied young (I think late twenties/early thirties) and as a result did some research on that. As far as I read (and naw, I can't be bothered looking up the research, so this is all from memory) women who did get their tubes tied were almost always happy with the result, but the best results came when the woman was in a stable relationship/stable situation. What seemed to change people's happiness with the decision was if their relationship fucked up and they started a new relationship with someone who did want children - but that didn't seem to happen often.