Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads
Spence

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by Spence »

somedumbguy wrote:Last time I searched the campus newspaper and the local/state/regional newspapers for rapes that occur in the city this school is located in, I couldn't find more than ONE rape reported in a several year period that was linked to a student on campus.

So clearly, for my local state school, there is a huge discrepancy between expected rapes, expected reported rapes and newspaper reported rapes.
Hmm. Seriously, do you really think newspaper articles are a good way of measuring rape statistics? I'd say they are actually worse than the stupid way feminists measure rape stats, and that is going some.

Oddly enough, most rape victims are victims of rape by someone known to them - a family member, a friend, or someone within their social circle. The last thing they want is this splashed all over the media, for fairly obvious reasons. And, again, the police have to keep such reports confidential for exactly that reason.

Seriously, if you are expecting rapes to be widely reported in the media, you are so far from having a clue about rape you might as well join the feminists and use their made-up figures, because yours are no better. Incidentally, the problem of failure to report rape is worst for male rape victims, who still attach considerable social stigma to reporting the fact that they were brutally sodomised by a friend or family member. I'll leave you to ponder that one for a bit.

somedumbguy

Post by somedumbguy »

decius wrote:
somedumbguy wrote:Decius,

This highlights the problem with feminist propaganda and their attempt to create moral panic concerning the incidence of rape. I agree about that happening.

What I was arguing about is the likelihood of being wrongfully convicted of rape or not receiving a fair trial, in Jack's immortal words, "for having a dick". This is nothing more than a conspiracy theory.

Like I said, the stats do not show that occurring, quite the opposite. As I further conceded, miscarriage of justice does occasionally occur due to some changes in the relevant legislation aimed at correcting previous problems, but to portray anecdotes and individual events if they represented the norm is intellectually and factually dishonest.

Now, if you wish to partake into Jack's folkloristic narrative, be my guest. Just be aware that I'm certainly not the only one here who will check spurious claims.
Well as I suggested, subscribe to the feeds I listed earler. Read them for a month.

Then consider them along with the feminist propaganda you believe you understand.
Consider them along with the "Dear Colleague" letter sent by the Obama Administration to colleges pressuring them to eliminate the burden of proof to "preponderance of evidence" in how schools deal with claims of sexual assault.

http://thefire.org/article/14425.html

Consider the many laws intended to protect rape victims, yes, consider Duke, consider Hofstra, etc. Consider how prosecutors abuse their position because what they need for promotions or re-election is to be tough on crime, and cracking down on rapists is an easy step to those goals.

Read COTWA, read SAVE, read F&F (Fathers and Families), and read Jonathan Turley. Read the Innocence Project.

Then you can decide for yourself as someone fairly informed on the issues as to the likelihood of being convicted for a sexual assault or domestic violence charge falsely on the basis of having a dick.

I have found the above sources mostly free of propaganda. They have their agenda of course, but the reporting they do is mostly strictly factual, with their opinions and analysis usually marked separately from the reporting of the case.

sacha

Post by sacha »

EdgePenguin wrote:I said hello elsewhere, but I someone said I should mirror it here:

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=205

Hi! I've already been talking in this thread a while!
welcome to the pit, Pete.

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

somedumbguy wrote:
Here's an interesting study you can do, all of it online from your computer.

<snip>

Are all of these papers suppressing the actual reports?
It seems to me that you may be conflating "reporting" in the sense of reporting to the police and "reporting" in the sense that news agencies do reporting. Crime statistics usually come from government agencies (such as the BJS) rather than mainstream news sources. I'm not sure why anyone would expect the local newspapers to reproduce the crime blotters, especially when charges are so often dropped or pled down subsequent to booking.

If only Justicar were still around I bet he'd have some insights on this.

sacha

Post by sacha »

DataNotDogma wrote:If I've missed some sarcasm in the link ( http://isnt.autistics.org/), OOPS. my bad.
directly under the title:

(Note: The content of this site is a parody. It is not to be taken literally. Help with understanding the humor.)

NTs ... *sigh*

somedumbguy

Post by somedumbguy »

Spence wrote:
somedumbguy wrote:Last time I searched the campus newspaper and the local/state/regional newspapers for rapes that occur in the city this school is located in, I couldn't find more than ONE rape reported in a several year period that was linked to a student on campus.

So clearly, for my local state school, there is a huge discrepancy between expected rapes, expected reported rapes and newspaper reported rapes.
Hmm. Seriously, do you really think newspaper articles are a good way of measuring rape statistics? I'd say they are actually worse than the stupid way feminists measure rape stats, and that is going some.

Oddly enough, most rape victims are victims of rape by someone known to them - a family member, a friend, or someone within their social circle. The last thing they want is this splashed all over the media, for fairly obvious reasons. And, again, the police have to keep such reports confidential for exactly that reason.

Seriously, if you are expecting rapes to be widely reported in the media, you are so far from having a clue about rape you might as well join the feminists and use their made-up figures, because yours are no better. Incidentally, the problem of failure to report rape is worst for male rape victims, who still attach considerable social stigma to reporting the fact that they were brutally sodomised by a friend or family member. I'll leave you to ponder that one for a bit.
Well, I think that when 1562 rapes are occurring each year on campus, 4 occurring each day, and the campus paper, the four local papers, the nearby state/national paper mention none of them, well yes, I begin to wonder why that is, especially when I am using their own statistics and formulas to determine that 1562 rapes are occurring (actually double that, right, I threw out 1/2 as women living off campus or a bit further away) and of that I threw out 95% because only 5% of rapes are reported.

So yes, there are 78 rapes reported each year, and you are telling me, that RAPE, is not a juicy story for any of these papers to report on.

If you think a newspaper would shy away from a story about one rape, about one rape each week, about 78 rapes a year occurring on campus, I think you're the person that needs to explain why those stories would not be reported. I think your notion that 78 rapes a year would not be reported is the one that needs questioning.

Occam's Razor suggests that these stories would be big sellers to newspapers.

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

sacha wrote:
DataNotDogma wrote:If I've missed some sarcasm in the link ( http://isnt.autistics.org/), OOPS. my bad.

(Note: The content of this site is a parody. It is not to be taken literally. Help with understanding the humor.)
If you are only familiar with the most severe and rarest forms of autism, you may wonder how anyone could claim that autism has advantages. It does! For one, autistics have an extraordinary ability to focus on a subject, and "think" in unique ways. This gives us the potential for profound original thought (for example, Albert Einstein was almost certainly autistic). Autistic emotions are another advantage: we're much better at separating our feeling from our thinking, and can stay calm and rational in situations where neurotypical persons are paralyzed by fear or panic. The down side is that our capacities for social interaction and communication, and the ways we process sensory input, are impaired to varying degrees.
Quite ideal for a sceptic.

NTs ... *sigh*
Tell me about it.

FFS I hate whiners. You are who you are, deal with it. Don't set up some damn blog that is tl;dr and whinge whinge about how bad you have it as a Asperger or trans* person or poor oppressed by the patriarchy woman. Get on with life and make a difference with your deeds not your words.

Dear Sacha, did I say it right?

somedumbguy

Post by somedumbguy »

d4m10n wrote:
somedumbguy wrote:

<snip>

It seems to me that you may be conflating "reporting" in the sense of reporting to the police and "reporting" in the sense that news agencies do reporting. Crime statistics usually come from government agencies (such as the BJS) rather than mainstream news sources. I'm not sure why anyone would expect the local newspapers to reproduce the crime blotters, especially when charges are so often dropped or pled down subsequent to booking.

If only Justicar were still around I bet he'd have some insights on this.
I think my wording has been confusing in one or two areas, but I have never said that a report to the police must mean there will be a newspaper report. (Though many papers do have their police blotter sections.)

But I am saying that if 4 rapes are occurring every day, if by their own figures 78 rapes a year are being reported to the police, there should be more than ONE newspaper article of a rape.

Oh, and yes, in that same time frame, it is certainly the case that the newspapers carried reports of other rapes, just not rapes associated with the 50,000 population school.

So it's not the case these newspapers don't report on rapes.

You could make the case there is some conspiracy to keep the university rapes out of the press, because shit fuck, football. or 50,000 student campus is a lot of moolah.

But there are five local papers, and at least one "national" paper, (but it's such a shit hole paper...), and lots and lots and lots of local blogs and websites that I cannot believe the police blotter containing 78 RAPES is being reproduced precisely by none of these outlets.

Mr Danksworth

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Dilurk wrote:
Al Stefanelli wrote:
WoolyBumblebee wrote:le snip
Only TWO neurological disorders? TWO?? Fucker needs to check his privilege...
Whining kid he's no aspie but using it as an excuse. http://isnt.autistics.org
I have seen this a lot. People claim to have Aspergers, when they are really just shut-ins with little or no social skills. You will find that many SJW's claim the Aspie moniker. Just don't ask them how they were diagnosed, that is classified a victim blaming.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

welch wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:Remind me what planet these knobs live on so we can virus-bomb it.
http://data.whicdn.com/images/27619296/ ... _large.jpg

I don't even know where to begin.
I want proof anyone besides parents, doctors and his hand has ever seen his penis.

Actually, I want proof of a penis.
Ask the women chained to a radiator in his basement.
Any bloke who has to loudly and proudly declare he has no urge to rape is protesting too much IMO.
I get through life perfectly fine without telling people I don't want to rape them.

somedumbguy

Post by somedumbguy »

As an example, here's a recent story (slow loading)

http://www2.tbo.com/news/news/2012/oct/ ... ar-526311/
cached
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... clnk&gl=us

From Tampa Bay Online of TWO rapes within three weeks at USF. The wiki says that USF has about 45,000 students, undergrad and grad, so the stats I cited above are about the same.

There are expected to be 70 rapes reported to the cops at USF, or 3.8 rapes (reported and unreported) per day. That's of course, more than one per week.

What we see in the article above, is that when TWO rapes occur within three weeks, it's a big deal.
We also see:
USF officials said four sexual assaults or sexual batteries have been reported to university police so far this calendar year. One was reported in 2011, and nine in 2010.
The formulas about rape numbers just don't hold up.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Michael K Gray wrote:
franc wrote: Long time stranger. Hope the dark stuff has passed.
Auld Lang Syne = Old Long Since.
The Dark Side of the Farce has not quite passed yet, but is leaving the building.
And I thank you for your concern (for the NONCE). {No smiley needed, especially not Mr Hankey]

(am typing on a crappy box'o'silcon that would have given Ada Lovelace multiple orgasms, but is making my life rather a dreary white eastern privileged semi-chore, i'm afraid. Yeah, I know. But just how shall I suck it up, my lord?)
Very good to see you back, Michael. The dark stuff dwindles, eventuzay.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

WoolyBumblebee wrote:About Joé McKen (Bio I found on-line). He does not hide himself at all on-line. :doh:

"My name is Joé McKen, though I'm usually known around the Web as Bumdark. I was born on December 29, 1991, in the heart of frigid Québec, Canada (meaning I'm currently 17 years old). I've moved a considerable amount of times already (over 14 at last count), ranging from Québec to Texas ('96–'01). I don't suppose my heart ever really left the Lone Star State, considering what a shithole this place is here ... but I digress. I'm currently out of High School and am slowly but surely pursuing my nascent music composition career. (And you may stress "slowly".) I basically live alone by myself in my room most of my days, but that's out of choice, not necessity – general people irk me. I don't trust strangers for crap. But I suppose my double-jackpot of mild Asperger's and mild Tourette's may count for that in some way or another. =( (Seriously, two rare neurological disorders at once ... someone up there doesn't like me, do they?) And so, deprived of any creative outlets, I originally created this blog to post my random thoughts and opinions on anything and anything that interests me, from current events to debates and social issues, to whatever. If anything, this blog is more of a personal journal than an actual web log in itself, so that one day perhaps I can look back and see how far I've come (if I've evolved). And so dear readers, I hope you'll forgive me if you find me to be particularly abrasive or trenchant in my posts, and especially my replies to people who just reek of stupidity or intolerable close-mindedness. My "defiance" is only as "respectful" as my patience and/or current mood allows me to be. ;) (Emotions are overrated.) You can check out my profile at IMDb.com for some "Top-10"-style favorites lists concerning various media and topics, and to check out my history there. Or whatever you feel like doing."

Welp, that explains a lot...
A complete, hipster bell end.

Mild Aspergers and mild Tourettes? Forgive my scepticism of that claim.

Spence

Post by Spence »

somedumbguy wrote:But I am saying that if 4 rapes are occurring every day, if by their own figures 78 rapes a year are being reported to the police, there should be more than ONE newspaper article of a rape.
Nonsense. Complete non sequitur.

If you want reported rape figures, the police *actually publish* the number of reported rapes, anonymised to protect victims. Why would you start searching for newspaper reports which are obviously indirect and questionable when you can go straight to police figures?

But note that police reports will substantially underestimate the number of MALE rape victims for the reasons I gave upthread.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Mr Danksworth wrote:
Dilurk wrote:
Al Stefanelli wrote:
I have seen this a lot. People claim to have Aspergers, when they are really just shut-ins with little or no social skills. You will find that many SJW's claim the Aspie moniker. Just don't ask them how they were diagnosed, that is classified a victim blaming.
You beat me to it. I think some people use the claim as a Get Out Of Jail Free Card in which case it's a shitty move.
I'm sure some of these gonks think a Doritos diet and a Warcraft subscription are all you need to be on the Autistic spectrum.

DataNotDogma

Post by DataNotDogma »

sacha wrote:

NTs ... *sigh*

Yeah. I can be a a dolt sometimes. In my defense I won't offer one

EdgePenguin

Post by EdgePenguin »

Tony Parsehole wrote:Mild Aspergers and mild Tourettes? Forgive my scepticism of that claim.
Mild = self diagnosed normally. I've seen so many self-diagnosed autistics online, but this is the first time someone has claimed Tourettes.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

I just wanted to thank all y'all for this place & your contributions, particularly acknowledging & commending all the different areas of expertise & interest represented here, particularly as they're brought to bear exposing and countering dogmatism within the skeptic/atheist "community".

That includes but isn't limited to all the folks here who: critique that shit - and/or who cover other, varied, interesting topics - in their blogs, videos, & podcasts; do activism IRL; have the tech savvy that's helpful in so many ways; maintain & contribute to Pharwrongula; post here, keeping the heat on & keeping us all including the lurkers apprised of the hypocrisy, past and present, of "skeptics" who insist there's only one right way to think & speak about certain topics and in interpersonal interactions and *quelle surprise* that the right way is their way.

[/maudlin sentimentality, probably related to reminders that the year (as defined initially by the Roman then Christian patriarchies) is coming to a close]

sacha

Post by sacha »

KarlVonMox wrote:Since I've been a vocal advocate of NOT having kids for a while now, I'm thinking about just putting my money where my mouth is and getting a vasectomy - this discussion from somedumbguy and sacha about being at risk for child support payments for 18 years every time one has sex makes the list of benefits even stronger.

Im only 25 though, and from what I hear its difficult at my age for a doctor to take you seriously if you say you want a vasectomy.
easy surgery, easy recovery, and easily reversed.

It is difficult for a woman to get her tubes tied at that age.

not so easy surgery, not such an easy recovery, and not so easily reversed, plus:

"Just wait, you will change your mind" *pat on the head* "All women want to be a mother, you'll see." "you will feel differently when it's your own" "You will regret it once you realise your time has passed"

That sort of patronising is what I received from women, when I was your age and mentioned I had no desire to have children, not from men.

The vast majority of real sexism I have ever experienced was from other women.

I've never wanted children, that conviction only got stronger as I got older. Nothing changed when "my clock was ticking", no regrets, no remorse, not for even a moment.

I do not have the maternal gene, and those like us should be taken far more seriously. Why would you want someone who has no desire to have children, to fucking have children?

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

EdgePenguin wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:Mild Aspergers and mild Tourettes? Forgive my scepticism of that claim.
Mild = self diagnosed normally. I've seen so many self-diagnosed autistics online, but this is the first time someone has claimed Tourettes.
Yeah. We should ask him to define "Mild" in this case. I'm no doctor and I have zero expertise on the subject but I'm certain "I'd rather watch the extended versions of Lord Of The Rings than go out with my friends" and "I'm an unrepentant dick online!" don't qualify as autism.

Darren

Post by Darren »

Tony Parsehole wrote:Welcome back MKG
and there was much rejoycing!

AnimalAndy

Post by AnimalAndy »

Mykeru wrote:
Gumby wrote:
dougal445 wrote: Thankyou Gumby, nice hat.did you steal it from Al'?
No, but I put it there as a tribute to Al when he arrived here in all his glory fresh from his stay at FreethoughtBlogs.

Now Mykeru, he's a low-down dirty rotten fucking thief.

http://i.imgur.com/RPgwe.jpg
They're styling, and probably racist. Everyone should have one:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8494/8325 ... cbac_o.jpg
Fine!

decius

Post by decius »

d4m10n wrote:
somedumbguy wrote:

<snip>

It seems to me that you may be conflating "reporting" in the sense of reporting to the police and "reporting" in the sense that news agencies do reporting.
Bingo. This would explain why we were talking past each other. To clarify, Somedumbguy, I was only speaking about police reports and convictions.

Mr Danksworth

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Tony Parsehole wrote: You beat me to it. I think some people use the claim as a Get Out Of Jail Free Card in which case it's a shitty move.
I'm sure some of these gonks think a Doritos diet and a Warcraft subscription are all you need to be on the Autistic spectrum.
I have one in my local a/s group. S/h/it likes to throw around sexist, misogynist, homophobe, and every other -ism and -ist under the SJW umbrella. S/H/it also likes to stalk me around the internet, looking for 'gotcha moments, so that s/h/it can run back to their a+ safespace and spread more rumors. When asked to say such things directly to me at a meatspace meet-up, there is the inevitable falling back on on s/h/it's imaginary mental illness as a reason for not leaving the house. Little weasel.
One day, s/h/it will be in the same place as me, and they will have to answer for their accusations. I'm really looking forward to it.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Just a reminder to everyone to keep their sarcasm, parody, hyperbole, & humor detectors on, including in this thread and including when there isn't a frank disclaimer or a smilie.

Not that my "thanks" post was sarcastic, but in catching up 20 pages yesterday it seemed like there were a number of comments offered in jest that were taken seriously. No harm done, but quicker to just laugh and move on.

In a related matter, I'm going with 92.4% chance that UnbelieveSteve didn't actually spend 17 hours reading this thread from page 1 to the high 700's.

But in case I'm wrong, can we have the edit function? ;)

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

sacha wrote:
KarlVonMox wrote:Since I've been a vocal advocate of NOT having kids for a while now, I'm thinking about just putting my money where my mouth is and getting a vasectomy - this discussion from somedumbguy and sacha about being at risk for child support payments for 18 years every time one has sex makes the list of benefits even stronger.

Im only 25 though, and from what I hear its difficult at my age for a doctor to take you seriously if you say you want a vasectomy.

not so easy surgery, not such an easy recovery, and not so easily reversed, plus:

"Just wait, you will change your mind" *pat on the head* "All women want to be a mother, you'll see." "you will feel differently when it's your own" "You will regret it once you realise your time has passed"

That sort of patronising is what I received from women, when I was your age and mentioned I had no desire to have children, not from men.

I've never wanted children, that conviction only got stronger as I got older. Nothing changed when "my clock was ticking", no regrets, no remorse, not for even a moment.

I do not have the maternal gene, and those like us should be taken far more seriously. Why would you want someone who has no desire to have children, to fucking have children?
Not so sure about "easily reversed". My advice would be to have some samples frozen at a sperm bank just as a back-up measure.

Reap

Post by Reap »

Skep tickle wrote:
JackRayner wrote:I'd like to just take a moment to say that Pitchguest and Skep tickle are two of my favorite new-ish members. I get a lot of entertainment from the treks that y'all take into baboon territory, so I just wanted to let y'all know I appreciate it. :D
Glad to offer entertainment value, JackRayner! I was going to slip you a $20 under the table for the compliment, but - hey - if we're providing then entertainment, shouldn't you be paying us? :think: :D

I keep feeling tempted to pester D. Pitman for tips on how to get around security at FtB, seeing as how my usual logons & emails are blocked, but it's probably just as well I can't post at FtB, Skepchick, or Atheism+. I'm trying to keep welch's excellent advice about NMD's in mind, and only post here & a couple other sites that still value rationalism. But still...taking a poke at the hot air balloons over there would be fun once in a while.
If you wanna know how let me know its easy

somedumbguy

Post by somedumbguy »

decius wrote:
d4m10n wrote:
somedumbguy wrote:

<snip>

It seems to me that you may be conflating "reporting" in the sense of reporting to the police and "reporting" in the sense that news agencies do reporting.
Bingo. This would explain why we were talking past each other. To clarify, Somedumbguy, I was only speaking about police reports and convictions.
That's not a reason for why 78 expected reports to the police result in ZERO or ONE newspaper reports.

As I showed with the USF article, 2 rapes in three weeks gets a report. The USF figures of 70 reported to the police rapes in a school year, is about 1.5 rapes per week (10 month school year), or 3 reported rapes to the police every two weeks, 4 1/2 reported rapes to the police every three weeks.

Yet!

TBO makes a big deal out of two rapes reported to the police in three weeks, and says
USF officials said four sexual assaults or sexual batteries have been reported to university police so far this calendar year. One was reported in 2011, and nine in 2010.
Remember, we're expecting 2800 rapes per year of USF women, 1400 if 1/2 live away from campus. I am throwing out 95% of them because "Rapes are not reported", giving us 70 reported rapes each year at the school.
Newton said 36 victims of sex crimes talked to the center’s counselors last school year. Forty students sought the center’s services in 2010-2011 and 39 people in 2009-2010.
36 victims of sex crimes, that's more than just rape, talked to the center's counselors.

These numbers are just hugely different from what the formulas are telling us to expect.

2800 rapes? 1400 rapes? 36 victims of sex crimes speak to the counselors? 4 sexual assaults or batteries reported to the police?

This is not because I am conflating police reports and newspaper reports. You need to explain why newspapers would not print stories of this many rapes. Or why, when they do print stories of 2 rapes in three weeks, they are not mentioning all the other rapes occurring.

sacha

Post by sacha »

Dilurk wrote:
sacha wrote:

If you are only familiar with the most severe and rarest forms of autism, you may wonder how anyone could claim that autism has advantages. It does! For one, autistics have an extraordinary ability to focus on a subject, and "think" in unique ways. This gives us the potential for profound original thought (for example, Albert Einstein was almost certainly autistic). Autistic emotions are another advantage: we're much better at separating our feeling from our thinking, and can stay calm and rational in situations where neurotypical persons are paralyzed by fear or panic. The down side is that our capacities for social interaction and communication, and the ways we process sensory input, are impaired to varying degrees.
Quite ideal for a sceptic.

NTs ... *sigh*
Tell me about it.

FFS I hate whiners. You are who you are, deal with it. Don't set up some damn blog that is tl;dr and whinge whinge about how bad you have it as a Asperger or trans* person or poor oppressed by the patriarchy woman. Get on with life and make a difference with your deeds not your words.

Dear Sacha, did I say it right?
you go, girl

welch

Post by welch »

Dilurk wrote:
Al Stefanelli wrote:
WoolyBumblebee wrote:About Joé McKen (Bio I found on-line). He does not hide himself at all on-line. :doh:

"My name is Joé McKen, though I'm usually known around the Web as Bumdark. I was born on December 29, 1991, in the heart of frigid Québec, Canada (meaning I'm currently 17 years old). I've moved a considerable amount of times already (over 14 at last count), ranging from Québec to Texas ('96–'01). I don't suppose my heart ever really left the Lone Star State, considering what a shithole this place is here ... but I digress. I'm currently out of High School and am slowly but surely pursuing my nascent music composition career. (And you may stress "slowly".) I basically live alone by myself in my room most of my days, but that's out of choice, not necessity – general people irk me. I don't trust strangers for crap. But I suppose my double-jackpot of mild Asperger's and mild Tourette's may count for that in some way or another. =( (Seriously, two rare neurological disorders at once ... someone up there doesn't like me, do they?) And so, deprived of any creative outlets, I originally created this blog to post my random thoughts and opinions on anything and anything that interests me, from current events to debates and social issues, to whatever. If anything, this blog is more of a personal journal than an actual web log in itself, so that one day perhaps I can look back and see how far I've come (if I've evolved). And so dear readers, I hope you'll forgive me if you find me to be particularly abrasive or trenchant in my posts, and especially my replies to people who just reek of stupidity or intolerable close-mindedness. My "defiance" is only as "respectful" as my patience and/or current mood allows me to be. ;) (Emotions are overrated.) You can check out my profile at IMDb.com for some "Top-10"-style favorites lists concerning various media and topics, and to check out my history there. Or whatever you feel like doing."

Properly edited version: "I'm a stupid tit"

Al Stefanelli

Post by Al Stefanelli »

Shameless Promotion...

My latest video:

[youtube]YtoIKAr8Wrg[/youtube]

Reap

Post by Reap »

franc wrote:
Gumby wrote:Welcome, dougal445! Jump right in and join the mayhem.
Likewise welcome. Don't be put off by the Eucliwood kerfuffle. Extraordinary dimwits evoke extraordinary responses. That thing is pretty much one of a kind.
Everytime Franc says "kerfuffle" I giggle.......I can't help it. Somehow I think if I ever make it to Australia I'll get my ass kicked a few times.

welch

Post by welch »

Tony Parsehole wrote:

A complete, hipster bell end.

Mild Aspergers and mild Tourettes? Forgive my scepticism of that claim.
It makes perfect sense if you ponder it:

"If I am offensive, stupid, or continuously annoying, it's never my fault, I have conditions!. Also, if you aren't always supportive of everything I do or say, YOU'RE A BAD PERSON, YOU ABLEIST"

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Oh dear, I'm never gonna catch up. Anyone up for Skype around now?
Try IRC

welch

Post by welch »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
Mr Danksworth wrote:
Dilurk wrote:
Al Stefanelli wrote:
You beat me to it. I think some people use the claim as a Get Out Of Jail Free Card in which case it's a shitty move.

Those twats have assburger's. there's a difference

Tkmlac

Post by Tkmlac »

Put my hat on, you guise! Now no one will recognize me.

welch

Post by welch »

katamari Damassi wrote:
sacha wrote:

Not so sure about "easily reversed". My advice would be to have some samples frozen at a sperm bank just as a back-up measure.
If you're gonna do that, don't get clipped. Loved getting mine. Best 20 minutes I ever spent.

Although the nurse asked me the stupidest question ever:

"Would you like me to set up a mirror so you can watch?"

NO, I DO NOT WANT TO WATCH SOMEONE SLICE INTO MY NADS, BUT THANKS FOR ASKING

The doc laughed, and when she walked away to do something, said "she always asks that. Never gets a yes. I think she'd have a party if someone actually said yes."

Al Stefanelli

Post by Al Stefanelli »

bhoytony wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Oh dear, I'm never gonna catch up. Anyone up for Skype around now?
Try IRC
http://www.teddys.com.au/members/assets ... olls02.jpg

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

sacha

Post by sacha »

katamari Damassi wrote:
sacha wrote:

"With vasectomy reversal surgery, there are two typical measures of success: patency rate, or return of some moving sperm to the ejaculate after vasectomy reversal, and pregnancy rates. In a recently published report 95% of men with a vasovasostomy had motile sperm in the ejaculate within 1 year after vasectomy reversal. Interestingly, almost 80% of these men achieved sperm motility within 3 months of vasectomy reversal. The case for vasoepididymostomy is different. Fewer men will eventually achieve motile sperm counts and the time to achieve motile sperm counts is longer.

The age of the patient at the time of vasectomy reversal does not appear to matter. Using different age cut-offs, including <35, 36-45, and > 45 years old, no differences in patency rates were detected in a recent vasectomy reversal series."
from here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasectomy_reversal

From what I have read, vasectomy reversal it is closer to a 98% or 99% success rate with the surgical technology of today, but instead of linking numerous sources, perhaps Skeptickle or Barn Owl or other person more qualified to answer the "easily reversed" question would do so.

Spence

Post by Spence »

EdgePenguin wrote:
He declared that he had "mild tourettes" the day after he called someone a cunt while the prune was within earshot.

True dat.

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

JackRayner wrote:I stated that those accused of rape, because of the very way the system is set up, do not get fair trials. [Or, if you would prefer, get trials less fair than those accused of any other crime.] I see no talk of "likelihood". I don't know the numbers, and none of us ever will, I suspsect, so it would be pretty foolish of me to speak about the likelyhood of the innocent being convicted. It happens, that much I know, and that much you will fucking concede.
It happens, and it's fucked up that it happens, no doubt: but does it happen more than any other alleged crime? Is there a greater number of false convictions for rape than other crimes?

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

sacha wrote:
Mykeru? May I please borrow your ice pick?
Here you go. Standard issue Italian Social Club model:

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/1-point ... e-pick.jpg

P.S. Quid pro quo penetration?

UnbelieveSteve

Post by UnbelieveSteve »

Skep tickle wrote:
In a related matter, I'm going with 92.4% chance that UnbelieveSteve didn't actually spend 17 hours reading this thread from page 1 to the high 700's.

But in case I'm wrong, can we have the edit function? ;)[/quote]

:-) I'm good but not that good.
I did however read the entire thread content but over a much longer period of time.

Damn it. No diet coke for me.

Did i f*ck up this post? I did it on my mobile. Edit function puhlease? Eh fork it. 8-)

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

sacha wrote:from here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasectomy_reversal

From what I have read, vasectomy reversal it is closer to a 98% or 99% success rate with the surgical technology of today, but instead of linking numerous sources, perhaps Skeptickle or Barn Owl or other person more qualified to answer the "easily reversed" question would do so.
Vasectomy reversal is technically much easier than trying to reverse iatrogenic damage to fallopian tubes (they don't simply "ligate" the fallopian tubes any more at a "tubal ligation" - they tend to pretty aggressively make sure that tube's never going to transport eggs or sperm again, including burying the uterine end of the tube into the uterine wall & sewing it in place or burning the ends with an electrical probe). More successful, I'm sure.

Besides sperm donation & storage before vasectomy and vasectomy reversal, there's another approach: sperm can be aspirated from the testis & injected directly into the egg (ICSI, a type of IVF) then transferred directly into the uterus. Plan to save up now if you're going to go that route; fertility treatments like this are expensive*. 'Course, microsurgery to reattach the tiny ends of the vas deferens costs a fair penny*, too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasectomy# ... _vasectomy

*Disclaimer: this pertains to the US, where treatments for infertility are almost never covered by health insurance

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Spence wrote:
EdgePenguin wrote:
He declared that he had "mild tourettes" the day after he called someone a cunt while the prune was within earshot.

True dat.
LOL. Link?

Mister_Kolle

Post by Mister_Kolle »

Nobel Laureate Rita Levi-Montalcini died today. She was 103 fucking years old.

She, ladies and gentlemen, was a fucking proper feminist. There was no fucking whining white-girl bullshit from her! Read here obit here: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/31/scien ... t-103.html

What are the odds anyone at FtB mentions her passing?

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

MKG, welcome back, good sir.

And, sincere condolences.

somedumbguy

Post by somedumbguy »

Cunning Punt wrote:
JackRayner wrote:I stated that those accused of rape, because of the very way the system is set up, do not get fair trials. [Or, if you would prefer, get trials less fair than those accused of any other crime.] I see no talk of "likelihood". I don't know the numbers, and none of us ever will, I suspsect, so it would be pretty foolish of me to speak about the likelyhood of the innocent being convicted. It happens, that much I know, and that much you will fucking concede.
It happens, and it's fucked up that it happens, no doubt: but does it happen more than any other alleged crime? Is there a greater number of false convictions for rape than other crimes?
I would say it's likely, if only for these reason:

For other crimes, if you make a false accusation, or perjure yourself in court, you are likely to be charged with a crime yourself.

But in cases of rape and sexual assault, there are large groups of feminists that say, "If we charge a person for making a false accusation, that will discourage other *true* victims from coming forward. Since every rapist must be found, we must not charge Jane for making a false accusation".

And this is amplified with the various new ways that the definition of rape is broadened to include "she was drunk but when she woke up she decided she would never have slept with the guy, so it must've been rape", and the insistence that prosecutors increase their rape convictions.

And it is amplified further in that in most measuring processes we understand about False Positives and False Negatives and realize that if we naively try to reduce False Negatives, False Positives will increase, and vice versa. So that any process that demands we reduce false negatives (rapes that are unreported) while claiming as feminists do that there are no or incredibly rare or so few as to be ignorable False Positives will almost certainly increase False Positives.

And that's what we see when we hear so many women give their rationalizations for why they lied and made a false accusation of rape. That there was very little incentive not to.

I understand this is circumstantial and indirect evidence of why there are probably higher rates of false convictions of rape than for other crimes.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Now Animal Andy and Tkmlac have stolen my hat as well. Mykeru, you'll pay for this outrage!

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

sacha wrote:
I guess I'm not current on this. Still, better safe than sorry. Something could always go wrong.

decius

Post by decius »

somedumbguy wrote: I would say it's likely, if only for these reason:
Sorry, you can't pull this stuff out of your arse. There are actual stats and figures available. Now I can't possibly dig them up for you, but last time it took me 30 minutes of research to find out a few incontrovertible facts which completely contradict what you're alleging.

I'll be back on line in a day or two and we can talk some more.

somedumbguy

Post by somedumbguy »

decius wrote:
somedumbguy wrote: I would say it's likely, if only for these reason:
Sorry, you can't pull this stuff out of your arse. There are actual stats and figures available. Now I can't possibly dig them up for you, but last time it took me 30 minutes of research to find out a few incontrovertible facts which completely contradict what you're alleging.

I'll be back on line in a day or two and we can talk some more.
Argument form of:

1) You pulled this out of your arse
2) I have numbers that I can't find that completely contradict what you are saying.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Mister_Kolle wrote:Nobel Laureate Rita Levi-Montalcini died today. She was 103 fucking years old.

She, ladies and gentlemen, was a fucking proper feminist. There was no fucking whining white-girl bullshit from her! Read here obit here: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/31/scien ... t-103.html

What are the odds anyone at FtB mentions her passing?
Rita Levi-Montalcini was freaking awesome - she wrote several engaging review articles and retrospectives on nerve growth factors and their discovery in her later years. Can't remember offhand whether they're available free online, but I can check.

When she was working on chicken embryos in Turin, she would ride around to local farms on her bicycle to get fertilized eggs for her experiments - no easy task in the WW2 era, I'm sure. Definitely not the type of intellectual who would crap her panties over Twitter parodies or vague cautionary non-threats.

somedumbguy

Post by somedumbguy »

FWIW, my stuff pulled out of my arse, is based on real world story after real world story after real world story.

And based on existence of the Innocence Project, and based on micro-economic incentive theory and based on an understanding of statistical analysis and statistical processes.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Quick thanks to Philip and Decius - lovely chat, guys!

decius

Post by decius »

Somedumbguy, I give you my word that I will post the stats. I just can't do so right now, but that doesn't prevent you from doing your homework rather than pontificating from the data-vacuum of your arse.
Hint, if you're in a rush, you can google items like, but not limited to, "wrongful rape convictions" and refer only to unbiased scholarly sources, to agencies akin to the innocence project or even the UN.

Renee, Phil, it was lovely talking to you. Take care and happy new year.