Confessions from Y_U_NO_SKEPTIC

Double wank and shit chips
RichardReed84

Confessions from Y_U_NO_SKEPTIC

Post by RichardReed84 »

Hi everyone, hope my first post on the Slymepit finds you all well!

You may not know or care, but for several months now there has been a meme-based Twitter account called @Y_U_NO_SKEPTIC . It's been getting angry at the usual skeptifem crowd (Watson, Surly, Benson etc), always starting tweets with "Y U NO..." and writing in all caps. Sometimes it went a little too far, particularly with Surly Amy when it was quite insulting.

Well, my name is Richard Reed, and for the last few months I have been in control of the Y_U_NO_SKEPTIC Twitter account (as well as the not-as-popular @skepticBoromir).

Why am I "coming out" now? To be honest, I got a bit sick of the schtick. It got increasingly tough to keep the meme up while trying to have a conversation, so I have a new account with my own name, @RichardReed84 .

A little history: I'm a long time lurker who doesn't really get involved with skepticism normally. If I told you what I do for a job you would understand why. Anyway, I listened to the usual podcasts, read the usual blogs, and wondered how I could contribute. Therefore, Y_U_NO_SKEPTIC was born. I could keep it anonymous while making some sort of contribution to the skeptic movement. I started by poking fun at some psychics, homeopaths etc, but as time went on I turned my attention to the non-skeptics in the skeptical movement, and got much more of a kick out of it. For a long time, it was good fun!

I do not regret any tweet I ever made as Y_U_NO. Sometimes I was harsh to Surly Amy, but that is it. i also feel I need to say I treated everyone equally. I remember angrily tweeting at Mykeru for posting a picture of a dog fucking a pig and calling it Greg Laden with Stephanie Zsvan, and he went apeshit. That was funny! :lol:

Since revealing myself, I had a rather odd Twitter exchange with Ophelia Benson before she predictably bloked me. In it, she seemed to admit that her post attacking Michael Shermer about deeper voices giving authority was a mistake (was not expecting her to ever admit to doing something wrong) before going on a standard defence of Rebecca Watson. Hopefully I'll have a few more productive conversations!

I thought I would post this on the Slymepit because I've been lurking for a long time here too, and I find everyone to be very fair. Harsh sometimes, but I can accept that. I do NOT share Ophelia Benson's ludicrous claims that the pit is full of misogynists, rape apologists and racists! There is no chance that I would post this on Freethought blogs because I know it would be edited to hell and back.

I'm probably boring everyone who reads this, but before I stop, I'll say this: it would be really nice if all the drama would end so we can do some skepticism. However, I do believe that before we can do that effectively, the non-skeptics within skepticim need to start being skeptical!

Za-zen

Re: Confessions from Y_U_NO_SKEPTIC

Post by Za-zen »

Y U NO admit you're a rapist?

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Za-zen wrote:Y U NO admit you're a rapist?
He's not posting at Pharyngula, so he doesn't need to!

LMU

Post by LMU »

CommanderTuvok wrote:
Za-zen wrote:Y U NO admit you're a rapist?
He's not posting at Pharyngula, so he doesn't need to!
Or maybe he should tweet that to RW?

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

OMG! That's awesome. Hi!

HAHAHA, I love Y U NO SKEPTIC.

Al Stefanelli

Post by Al Stefanelli »

Eucliwood

Post by Eucliwood »

Suspended? Ouch.

What do you do as a job? You can PM me.

Plonk

Post by Plonk »

I hope you can get your account back. :think:

Welcome to the slymepit (i'm surprised you weren't one of the regulars)

RichardReed84

Post by RichardReed84 »

I've been suspended from Twitter for a second time. I think it's been automatic each time. I was first suspended for at-ing too many people, and I filled out a quick form saying I wouldn't do it again. Hopefully I will get the account back. I do NOT think there is some kind of FTB conspiracy going on!

RichardReed84

Post by RichardReed84 »

Just received an email Twitter saying my account will be unsuspended within 24 hours, and it was indeed suspended for sending too many at mentions. No more "follow Fridays" from me!

LMU

Post by LMU »

Hello and welcome!

I'm glad you're getting your twitter back. I thought it might have been a case of "suspend all the critics!"

Don't forget to post on the undead thread

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Hello and welcome to the 'pit! Thought Y U NO SKEPTIC was brilliant and it's great you're here to contribute!

RichardReed84

Post by RichardReed84 »

Thanks!

It's been over 24 hours and my Twitter account is still suspended. I'm thinking of starting a blog.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

RichardReed84 wrote:I remember angrily tweeting at Mykeru for posting a picture of a dog fucking a pig and calling it Greg Laden with Stephanie Zsvan, and he went apeshit. That was funny! :lol:
I was there. That was just Mykeru being Mykeru. I doubt if he really got all that worked up about it.

Anyway, while I occasionally got annoyed with the Y U NO schtick, overall I enjoyed it and I'm one of your subscribers. Welcome to the Pit!