Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads
cunt

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by cunt »

franc wrote:
Eucliwood wrote:GUYS. THERE'S LIKE SO MANY POSTS HERE A DAY... ANYONE WANT TO SET UP AN IRC (OR SOME OTHER SORT OF CHAT THING) WE CAN ALSO TALK AT? SO MANY POSTS ARE SKIPPED. AND IRC IS FUN. AND YOU DONT HAVE TO REGISTER THE CHANNEL.
Yes, there are a lot aren't there?
member: Eucliwood posts: 152 joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:25 pm
Over 30 a day. Just from you.

Wouldn't it be nice if people who had nothing to say, simply said nothing, instead of quoting 100 lines of text, images and all, only to add some profundity like "me too!!!"

Yeah, yeah. Grumpy old franc is pushing diarrhoea uphill with a toothpick again, <yawn>.
Seems like an irc would remove most of that from the thread.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

cunt wrote:Coughlan drama is always good. Like the time he went over the states to fuck his internet girlfriend, who literally asked him to marry her for a british visa. Being a prat, he took that to mean "marry me and we'll be together forever". She changed her mind about moving to the UK and started fucking a bisexual guy with HIV. They broke up. So Coughlan did a shit load of crack and woke up the next day with his legs all fucked up.
Oh that leg thing was weird. I think he said it was a meth binge though. He said that he over-identifies with Hugh Laurie, and that while he was high, he tried to gimp up his leg just like the character Dr. House.

I noticed his ex, Peach, was on Half-fish's Don't Tell You Have Aids post, defending the Fish! Maybe she just is in denial about her own chance taking with Devchelle (the guy she left Coughlan over), since he's got AIDS.

franc

Post by franc »

Eucliwood wrote:Again... an edit button would really help for oneafteranother posts.
Jesus fucking christ you moron. This is the *3rd* repetition of the same question in 2 pages. This was the first argument at this place. No editing. You live or die by what you say. This is not the baboon board where history is whatever you say it is today. Words here are carved in granite. Deal with it. Don't like it? Simple. Keep your trap shut.

Maybe, just maybe, if you learned to curb your postarrhoia, paused to think prior to slapping the keyboard and hitting send, and made use of the "preview" button, you wouldn't have such a pressing need for an "edit" function eh?

franc

Post by franc »

cunt wrote:Seems like an irc would remove most of that from the thread.
And how hard is that to do? This hard.

But like steersqueer, they probably expect someone else to do it.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

NO.

FUCKING.

EDIT.

BUTTON.

GET.

OVER.

IT.

Eucliwood

Post by Eucliwood »

somedumbguy wrote:Ophelia Benson doesn't understand why Feminism might be blamed for the lack of male teachers in elementary schools.

She says that's not what feminism is all about! But she also says that there is nothing wrong with a staff that is 100% female, it would be the same good as a staff that was 100% black -- no one could have a problem with that!

http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... len-redux/
Jesus H Christ almighty – what is she talking about?? Is she claiming that feminism keeps men out of elementary schools? Wtf? Since when does feminism claim that elementary school teachers should all be women? The point of feminism is more that university professors should not all be men. And then, she finds a sea of women’s names depressing. I find that depressing. Same old shit – imagine her saying that if you replaced “the sea of women’s names” with “the sea of black faces.”
Thank you lords of diversity and social justice... Thank you Benson for not understanding that men are put off from teaching in the school system because of the very real threats of false accusations of sexual harassment that feminists insist we ignore and that can cripple a person's life and ruin their careers.
Um, why didn't she say just as good as a staff that was 100% male? Or is that not as good? I've heard of refusing to talk to female students alone if you are a male teacher, but what's this about steering clear of being a teacher?

Eucliwood

Post by Eucliwood »

franc wrote:
Eucliwood wrote:Again... an edit button would really help for oneafteranother posts.
Jesus fucking christ you moron. This is the *3rd* repetition of the same question in 2 pages. This was the first argument at this place. No editing. You live or die by what you say. This is not the baboon board where history is whatever you say it is today. Words here are carved in granite. Deal with it. Don't like it? Simple. Keep your trap shut.

Maybe, just maybe, if you learned to curb your postarrhoia, paused to think prior to slapping the keyboard and hitting send, and made use of the "preview" button, you wouldn't have such a pressing need for an "edit" function eh?
franc. fucking DROP IT. I'm so tired of people responding over and over with the same "no edit button cos u are trying to backspace on some things you wrote" shit. And the preview button is completely irfuckingrelevant, because it doesn't show the new posts that appear. If I get another complaint about a suggestion I rescinded after being told why there's no edit, I'm going to fucking scream.

Drop it you obsessive little shit.

somedumbguy

Post by somedumbguy »

The eye of Atheism+ swings to, focusing on, Nate Silver! Come on down!

http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3328

The List Of Charges:
  • Nate is sexually gay, but ethnically straight
    Nate is gay, but wants to be known as a statistician, not a gay statistician.
    Nate is white privileged dude, but says he got where he got by ... working hard
    Nate is reaping the benefits of the gay community but denying them his support
    Nate is skeptical of gay culture, but not appropriately skeptical of straight culture
    Nate spouts heteronormative crap
http://i.imgur.com/Bukmk.jpg

Mr Danksworth

Post by Mr Danksworth »

cunt wrote:
franc wrote:
Eucliwood wrote:GUYS. THERE'S LIKE SO MANY POSTS HERE A DAY... ANYONE WANT TO SET UP AN IRC (OR SOME OTHER SORT OF CHAT THING) WE CAN ALSO TALK AT? SO MANY POSTS ARE SKIPPED. AND IRC IS FUN. AND YOU DONT HAVE TO REGISTER THE CHANNEL.

Wouldn't it be nice if people who had nothing to say, simply said nothing, instead of quoting 100 lines of text, images and all, only to add some profundity like "me too!!!"

Yeah, yeah. Grumpy old franc is pushing diarrhoea uphill with a toothpick again, <yawn>.
I can see it now. Eucliwood hollering at an empy chat room, demanding replies from people, a la....
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=206&p=40024&view=show#p40024

Baw Baw.

cunt

Post by cunt »

Scented Nectar wrote:
cunt wrote:Coughlan drama is always good. Like the time he went over the states to fuck his internet girlfriend, who literally asked him to marry her for a british visa. Being a prat, he took that to mean "marry me and we'll be together forever". She changed her mind about moving to the UK and started fucking a bisexual guy with HIV. They broke up. So Coughlan did a shit load of crack and woke up the next day with his legs all fucked up.
Oh that leg thing was weird. I think he said it was a meth binge though. He said that he over-identifies with Hugh Laurie, and that while he was high, he tried to gimp up his leg just like the character Dr. House.
Really? I just got the first season of house for xmas. He's nothing like House.

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

Crossposting from JREF:

http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic ... start=1100

Good Lord it's a multi-mod meltdown:

BillHaines
Catherine
ceepolk
Flewellyn
hyperdeath
Lovely
maiforpeace
Onamission5
piegasm
Siliddar
SubMor
TomT64
Xanthë

(is this list complete? how many of these guys even still participate?)

Will it be another resignation next? Or will somebody new be picked to fill a pair of recently-vacated boots? And who?

Place your bets folks.
piegasm: Pretty much all of the mods have at some point said something along the lines of "This situation is too personal for me and I am unable to be objective. Can someone else please handle it?"
Tears of laughter.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Darren wrote:
AbsurdWalls wrote:Registered so I could ignore Eucliwood.
Lsuoma, I think I just thought up a great recruiting stratergy.
That's Al's job. Eucliwoo is stepping on his toes.

Eucliwood

Post by Eucliwood »

Mr Danksworth wrote:
cunt wrote:
franc wrote:

I can see it now. Eucliwood hollering at an empy chat room, demanding replies from people, a la....

Baw Baw.
Can you stop unearthing old, already solved bullshit? Cue people complaining about a discussion about this being MY fault while regulars bring the shit up over and over. Stop beating a dead horse.

For the laaast time, my posts have contributed LITTLE to the huge amount of posts posted here. Before I ever posted one post, it was already like that. So if you think my arrival is somehow adding a monologue of posts or something, you need your sight checked. Stop trying to turn amount of posts into some sort of insult.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Eucliwood wrote:franc. fucking DROP IT. I'm so tired of people responding over and over with the same "no edit button cos u are trying to backspace on some things you wrote" shit. And the preview button is completely irfuckingrelevant, because it doesn't show the new posts that appear. If I get another complaint about a suggestion I rescinded after being told why there's no edit, I'm going to fucking scream.

Drop it you obsessive little shit.
Maybe, just maybe, this is not a good forum for you. You don't seem to like the setup. You're not exactly making friends here. Maybe you should give A+ another try.

But, you know, I like you in a way......... far away! :mrgreen:

franc

Post by franc »

Eucliwood wrote:Um, that's cool but that's clearly not what I wanted an edit button for. First, you complain about how many posts I post in a forum that already has so many posts by everyone collectively, and then when I suggest an edit button to put posts all in one post (since I read, make a post, then see something else I want to reply to, make another post, or add something to a post I already posted, which can result in three posts in a row), you act like I'm some sort of sneak that wants to hide something?
No, that makes you a flatulent, blabbermouthed teenager. How about you read all the posts first? Oh noes. That would require patience, self restraint and consideration for others. How fucking outrageous.

somedumbguy

Post by somedumbguy »

Eucliwood wrote:
somedumbguy wrote:Ophelia Benson doesn't understand why Feminism might be blamed for the lack of male teachers in elementary schools.

She says that's not what feminism is all about! But she also says that there is nothing wrong with a staff that is 100% female, it would be the same good as a staff that was 100% black -- no one could have a problem with that!

http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... len-redux/
Jesus H Christ almighty – what is she talking about?? Is she claiming that feminism keeps men out of elementary schools? Wtf? Since when does feminism claim that elementary school teachers should all be women? The point of feminism is more that university professors should not all be men. And then, she finds a sea of women’s names depressing. I find that depressing. Same old shit – imagine her saying that if you replaced “the sea of women’s names” with “the sea of black faces.”
Thank you lords of diversity and social justice... Thank you Benson for not understanding that men are put off from teaching in the school system because of the very real threats of false accusations of sexual harassment that feminists insist we ignore and that can cripple a person's life and ruin their careers.
Um, why didn't she say just as good as a staff that was 100% male? Or is that not as good? I've heard of refusing to talk to female students alone if you are a male teacher, but what's this about steering clear of being a teacher?
Presumably the staff should be diverse. A 100% male staff is not diverse, and a 100% female staff (a sea of women's names) is not diverse. Neither is a "sea of black faces". An A+r like Benson should understand that a sea of women's names is clearly not diverse, and clearly not any better than a sea of men's names.

A real problem for many teachers, men and women, but especially men, is fear of sexual harassment or sexual assault charges from students.

Imagine training to be a teacher, basing a career where you hope to get a pension on that, but being vulnerable the entire time to accusations of sexual harassment or sexual assault from students. Students are not aware of how serious the charges are in terms of lifetime impairment, and are very goal oriented: they want revenge.

Mr Danksworth

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Eucliwood wrote: Can you stop unearthing old, already solved bullshit? Cue people complaining about a discussion about this being MY fault while regulars bring the shit up over and over. Stop beating a dead horse.

For the laaast time, my posts have contributed LITTLE to the huge amount of posts posted here. Before I ever posted one post, it was already like that. So if you think my arrival is somehow adding a monologue of posts or something, you need your sight checked. Stop trying to turn amount of posts into some sort of insult.
Old? Like yesterday? Hardly 'unearthing'. Back to A+ with you, snowflake.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Mr Danksworth wrote: I can see it now. Eucliwood hollering at an empy chat room, demanding replies from people, a la....

Baw Baw.
I made the mistake of clicking on that link. S/h/it's a fucking turnip on crack. Bloody hell.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

cunt wrote:
franc wrote:

Fuck off, cunt!

AchronTimeless

Post by AchronTimeless »

Scented Nectar wrote: But, you know, I like you in a way......... far away! :mrgreen:
I'm still disturbed at hearing the news that I might not have that option.

Really, I think if she'd just edit her attitude, things might've gone better.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

cunt wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
He actually said that he thinks he looks a bit like him. My rather cruel guess is that he's hoping to find out some day that Laurie is his father.

The show though, is quite good. I think you'll like the series.

Eucliwood

Post by Eucliwood »

ITF: "Man, people keep bringing up somethings this Eucli chick said hours ago. The topic annoys me. I think I am going to ignore her to avoid reading about it."

somedumbguy

Post by somedumbguy »

To be honest, well, I really don't care about all the Eucliwood drama here.

Eucliwood, I find (some of) your comments of value, but lots of others are clearly annoyed. My suggestion? Give yourself a 3 comment a day limit for the next week. Read what others have to say. Maybe go back to lurk mode for a week.

I do think all the pile-on Eucliwood is pretty boring and I've seen it more often at forums I dislike.

But I've only been here a month or so myself, so maybe it will just be time to pile on me. Please condom up first.

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

Eucliwood wrote:ITF: "Man, people keep bringing up somethings this Eucli chick said hours ago. The topic annoys me. I think I am going to ignore her to avoid reading about it."
If you were able to stop responding to every single mention of your name and instead return to this discussions once it has normalised you may find that your problems disappear.

Seriously, this is painful. Just let it slide.

Eucliwood

Post by Eucliwood »

AchronTimeless wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote: But, you know, I like you in a way......... far away! :mrgreen:

Yeah, I was the one with the attitude. How dare I respond to unnecessary attitude and dead horse beating with attitude. Thing is, even if everyone ignored me, people would keep bringing up the things I said hours ago and continue talking about me. This is my fault. (/end sarcasm)b :roll:

Okay, seriously, can we all just get over this? I didn't expect to still be an ongoing topic.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Gumby wrote:
Mr Danksworth wrote: I can see it now. Eucliwood hollering at an empy chat room, demanding replies from people, a la....

Baw Baw.
I made the mistake of clicking on that link. S/h/it's a fucking turnip on crack. Bloody hell.
Oh gawd thats fucking hilarious. She's demanding some personal love and affection from Thunderf00t. He owes her because she left a nice comment for him.

Ok, I no longer think of her as someone just stirring shit and trolling around. I now think she's certifiably insane.

Eucliwood

Post by Eucliwood »

AbsurdWalls wrote:
Eucliwood wrote:ITF: "Man, people keep bringing up somethings this Eucli chick said hours ago. The topic annoys me. I think I am going to ignore her to avoid reading about it."
If you were able to stop responding to every single mention of your name and instead return to this discussions once it has normalised you may find that your problems disappear.

Seriously, this is painful. Just let it slide.
Oh please, I don't respond to every single mention of name. But I expect them to use what you've said now. "I ave to ignore her because she keeps replying to us!" I'm responding to SOME of the things. Instead of criticizing the people going on even when I'm not even here, you blame me for replying. My replies (basically saying "get over it") aren't really giving them any substance or fodder for their posts. As you can see, the posts are mainly about shit that I've already said.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

AchronTimeless wrote:

I hope, for your sake, that you'll never both find out who each of you is even if you cross paths every day. :)

Mr Danksworth

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Scented Nectar wrote:
Gumby wrote:

Baw Baw.
Oh gawd thats fucking hilarious. She's demanding some personal love and affection from Thunderf00t. He owes her because she left a nice comment for him.

Ok, I no longer think of her as someone just stirring shit and trolling around. I now think she's certifiably insane.

Me, me, me! Pay attention to me. You owe it to me to pay attention to me.

I fucking despise special snowflakes.

AchronTimeless

Post by AchronTimeless »

Scented Nectar wrote: I hope, for your sake, that you'll never both find out who each of you is even if you cross paths every day. :)
Yeah, think I'll hold off on getting my mouse avatar done as a large-ish window sticker for my car. I was seriously going to do that next month. Although, if my window is suddenly smashed in, at least I'd know who did it.

sacha

Post by sacha »

Scented Nectar wrote:
You're new here. Yes, there are many posts. We like them. If you wish to voice chat, about once or twice a week there's an open invitation to everyone here to join podcasts and skype conversations. I doubt anyone here wants to reduce the post numbers here and play with old IRCs. Get to know us before suggesting major changes. You may have nearly a hundred posts, but you're still the new guy, the one who showed up only yesterday.
hahahaha! He should be glad it was you who responded.

franc

Post by franc »

Tigzy wrote:Ah, Steersman, The beguilingly insufferable Steersman. How to quantify this character?
You neglected the chronic inability to look up even the most trivial piece of information for himself, instead expecting others to do it for him. Then when they fail to do so, or simply tell him to fuck off, dancing a victory jig of his own peculiar sort. "Derailing" doesn't even come close to expressing his talents.

welch

Post by welch »

AbsurdWalls wrote:Crossposting from JREF:

BillHaines
Catherine
ceepolk
Flewellyn
hyperdeath
Lovely
maiforpeace
Onamission5
piegasm
Siliddar
SubMor
TomT64
Xanthë

Will it be another resignation next? Or will somebody new be picked to fill a pair of recently-vacated boots? And who?

Place your bets folks.
piegasm: Pretty much all of the mods have at some point said something along the lines of "This situation is too personal for me and I am unable to be objective. Can someone else please handle it?"
Tears of laughter.

I KNOW, RIGHT???

sacha

Post by sacha »

bhoytony wrote:
Eucliwood wrote: GUYS. THERE'S LIKE SO MANY POSTS HERE A DAY...
It seems like most of them are yours.
hahahaha!

franc

Post by franc »

Lsuoma wrote:OK, post flood limit is now 120 seconds from 15, for obvious reasons. Also, I have seen one complaint about PMs from the Eucliwood. If you add someone to your foe list I believe that will also block PMs from them.
No it doesn't.
Attachments
foes.png
(23.6 KiB) Downloaded 195 times

Al Stefanelli

Post by Al Stefanelli »

Lsuoma wrote:
Darren wrote:
AbsurdWalls wrote:Registered so I could ignore Eucliwood.
Lsuoma, I think I just thought up a great recruiting stratergy.
That's Al's job. Eucliwoo is stepping on his toes.
I'll be giving my "How to successfully recruit for the Slymepit" talk at the next TAM. I'll be selling jewelry and t-shirts, as well as copies of my new book, "Being Butthurt: A Comprehensive Guide To Internet Activism Using The Atheism Plus Method."

WoolyBumblebee

Post by WoolyBumblebee »

Za-zen wrote:Eucliwood, i think we should create a hug thread for you
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! :D

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Jan Steen wrote:
Steersman wrote: ...
Haven’t watched TF’s video yet – next on my to-do list – but that comment from The Amazing Atheist is spot on – even if I think he had a bit of a melt-down not too long ago on that issue, seems guilty of the same thing, and even if I think he’s out to lunch on, apparently, blaming just the Newtown shooter: social values and policies have an influence on what we all, or most all of us, do. But the philosopher/biologist Massimo Pigliucci highlighted that problem – and in the context of PZ Myers’ “intemperate hormonal rage” – almost three years ago:
I am often told by my non-activist friends (pretty much all of whom are agnostics or atheists themselves) that the problem with the new atheism is that it looks a lot like the mirror image of the sort of fundamentalist rage that we all so justly abhor. I always shrugged at this accusation as being overblown and missing the point, after all we — unlike them — are on the side of reason and true human compassion. Now I’m not so sure.
You're not seriously conflating the New Atheists (Dawkins, Dennet, Hitchens et al.) with the Atheism Plus/Skepchick loons (PZ, Rebecca Watson et al.)? Come on, that's trolling pure and simple.
Not at all – not quite sure how you managed to reach that conclusion. You might want to take a closer – or closer – look at that post by Pigliucci who was clearly criticizing Myers as an “examplar” of the worst of the new atheists and not of the best. I don’t think it is “conflating” to differentiate between those types and is, I think, a virtual necessity – the same way it is for the best and worst of feminists or men’s rights activists or “faithiests”.

Although maybe there is some justification for your view as Pigliucci was or is, apparently, somewhat skeptical of new atheism in general – an exception being Dennett – and with which I at least sympathize. While I expect there are more than a few benefits to “shock troops” such as Myers – even if, as the joke goes, only to get people’s attentions – and more so for more rational individuals like Dawkins and Hitchens, I still think all of them have a very limited understanding about the nature of religion – which makes at least some of their arguments rather dogmatic and problematic. As I quoted to someone here earlier:
Human beings are perhaps never more frightening than when they are convinced beyond doubt that they are right. - Laurens van der Post
A behaviour pattern which is, fortunately or not, found not just among the explicitly religious. But while I’m happy to support Dawkins and Hitchens and others in the same cohort in their criticisms of religion in general, the dogma implicit in Hitchens’ “religion poisons everything” tends to preclude, I think, an understanding and appreciation of why it works and the benefits it has provided. Seems that one can’t really separate the wheat from the chaff without, to mix metaphors, understanding the nature of the beast – something I’ve argued in some detail here in the context of a discussion between Everyman and Franc, and of an article by John Gray.

sacha

Post by sacha »

Eucliwood wrote:
AchronTimeless wrote:
Eucliwood wrote: Again... an edit button would really help for oneafteranother posts.
No, what an edit button is really good for is people trying to pull their foot out of their mouth after they jam it in there pretty deep. If you can't have accountability on your own, the forum will help you with that.

It's not a bug, it's a feature.

Um, that's cool but that's clearly not what I wanted an edit button for. First, you complain about how many posts I post in a forum that already has so many posts by everyone collectively, and then when I suggest an edit button to put posts all in one post (since I read, make a post, then see something else I want to reply to, make another post, or add something to a post I already posted, which can result in three posts in a row), you act like I'm some sort of sneak that wants to hide something?
Please tell me you have a significant learning disability.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

franc wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:OK, post flood limit is now 120 seconds from 15, for obvious reasons. Also, I have seen one complaint about PMs from the Eucliwood. If you add someone to your foe list I believe that will also block PMs from them.
No it doesn't.
You can set up a rule to do this, though. Go to your user control panel:

1. Click on the private messages link in the header.
2. Click "Rules, folders & settings" on the side.
3. In the "add new rule" box, select "sender"
4. Click "Next"
5. Select "is foe"
6. Click "next"
7. Select "delete message"

mikelf

Post by mikelf »

Mr Danksworth wrote: Old? Like yesterday? Hardly 'unearthing'. Back to A+ with you, snowflake.
She is a special snowflake.

Check it.

sacha

Post by sacha »

Eucliwood wrote:Note that I would also not mind an edit button that gives posts an Original Copy of itself, if you need further convincing that the edit button I propose is not for 'hiding'
no one will agree to an edit feature. end of topic.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

mikelf wrote:
Mr Danksworth wrote: Old? Like yesterday? Hardly 'unearthing'. Back to A+ with you, snowflake.
She is a special snowflake.

Check it.
Most inappropriate email address. Ever.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Oh man, a poignant moment. In PZ's speech that Thunderf00t excerpted, he puts onscreen a gloomy prognosis for atheism and social justice. But there's hope -- ATHEISM PLUS (cheers and applause). It's wonderful, it's phenomenal, it makes him smile.

Try taking a shot every time he says, "curmudgeonly old white guy." If you light up, you'll go off like an exploding supertanker.

disumbrationist

Post by disumbrationist »

JackRayner wrote:
disumbrationist wrote: The sentiment also appears as white supremacists calling their white opponents 'race traitors,' blacks calling other blacks 'uncle Toms' or 'oreos,' Jews calling other Jews 'Self-Hating Jews' for opposing Israeli policies, Gays calling Gays 'Uncle Marys,' Communists calling other Communists 'counter-revolutionaries'...
The (odd) implication is that, by virtue of your identity, you are pre-enrolled in some sort of army, against which you could then be committing 'treason.' One common denominator is that the speakers are vanguardists; they believe that their movement represents the true voice or soul of a large group of people. Because of this, any member of the group that doesn't agree can be accused of treason or inauthenticity, not simple disagreement.
In no case should these terms be taken seriously by anyone as long as they are given out in lieu of a rational response.
Oh my fucking non-existent god! Yes. It is totally the same thing. So, some feminist supporting chump who yells "why do you hate women?!" at the folk working to bring attention to real, existing issues that affect men, and that have either long gone ignored or have been aggravated by feminist policies [to include the feminists swooping in to get anyone even talking about it to shut the fuck up]. Some of us call this chump a mangina, and it's the same as all of the above, right? No. You are fucking stupid.

But here. Here's your chance. Spell the following out for me: Tell me how a white supremacists calling a white opponent a "race traitor" is the same as an MRA [who wants, for example, equality in treatment from the law] calling a feminism supporting man a "mangina". Fucking tell me that.

Very simple: it's not the same as all of the above, but it is analogous. The term functions similarly in these movements, to shame individuals seen as 'traitors' or somehow infected with The Other. The concept is pure Identity Politics, and stinks to high heaven. But, by all means, if someone asks you why you hate women, call them a mangina. They said nothing intelligent to you, so why should they get better in return?
If Jewish Zionist resented being compared to MRAs - "Tell me how a male supremacists calling a male opponent a "mangina [for crying out loud!]" is the same as an Zionist [who wants, for example, a safe, peaceful Homeland for the Jewish people] calling Norman Finkelstein a "self hating Jew". Fucking tell me that." - I'd give them the same answer.
In the end, the term will probably be taken up and used ironically by its targets until it is effectively neutralized, just as 'sister punisher' and 'chill girl' have been by posters here, and you'll have to come up with something else. So it's kind of a paper tiger.

WoolyBumblebee

Post by WoolyBumblebee »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Za-zen wrote:Eucliwood, i think we should create a hug thread for you
Yes, but what if someone tries to ask for hugs on the same thread!

:angry-tappingfoot:
Then we beat them with a sock full of door-knobs! Muahahahaha!

Rawrsome

Post by Rawrsome »

See guys, this is what happens when you think of women as people rather than fuck toys.

I told you fuck toys was the right choice, I TOLD YOU.

Eucliwood

Post by Eucliwood »

welch wrote:

BillHaines
Catherine
ceepolk
Flewellyn
hyperdeath
Lovely
maiforpeace
Onamission5
piegasm
Siliddar
SubMor
TomT64
Xanthë

Place your bets folks.
Tears of laughter.

I KNOW, RIGHT???
Ooo, some mods resigned? Looks like I missed some tasty tidbits. (tasty tidbits... -giggle-). I look forward to the entire list being crossed out.

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

Steersman wrote:Although maybe there is some justification for your view as Pigliucci was or is, apparently, somewhat skeptical of new atheism in general – an exception being Dennett – and with which I at least sympathize. While I expect there are more than a few benefits to “shock troops” such as Myers – even if, as the joke goes, only to get people’s attentions – and more so for more rational individuals like Dawkins and Hitchens, I still think all of them have a very limited understanding about the nature of religion – which makes at least some of their arguments rather dogmatic and problematic.
Tell me about it. Some of the "new atheists" who have written multiple books about religion are still astonishingly ignorant about it, here's an example from the Four Horsemen video:
[DD] And I don’t think many of them ever let themselves contemplate the question, which I think scientists ask themselves all the time: “what if I’m wrong?”. “What if I’m wrong?” I mean, it’s just not part of their repertoire.

[CH] Actually, would you mind if I disagree with you about that?

[DD] No.

[CH] A lot of talk that makes religious people hard to … not hard to beat, but hard to argue with, is precisely that they’ll say that they’re in a permanent crisis of faith. There is indeed a prayer, “Lord I believe, help thou my unbelief.” Graham Greene says the great thing about being a Catholic was that it was a challenge to his unbelief. A lot of people live by keeping two sets of books. In fact, it’s my impression that a majority of the people I know who call themselves believers, or people of faith, do that all the time. I wouldn’t say it was schizophrenia, that would be rude. But they’re quite aware of the implausibility of what they say. They don’t act on it when they go to the doctor, or when they travel, or anything of this kind. But in some sense they couldn’t be without it. But they’re quite respectful of the idea of doubt. In fact they try and build it in when they can.

[RD] Well, that’s interesting then. And so when they are reciting “the Creed”, with its sort of apparent conviction, is this a kind of mantra which is forcing themselves to overcome doubt, by saying yes, I do believe, I do believe, I do believe! because really, I don’t.
I'm glad Hitchens interjected to set Dennett and Dawkins straight, because it really is a complete fabrication to claim that doubt is not a recognised feature within religion (though obviously they do not tend to address this doubt through scientific methods).

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Ape+lust wrote:Oh man, a poignant moment. In PZ's speech that Thunderf00t excerpted, he puts onscreen a gloomy prognosis for atheism and social justice. But there's hope -- ATHEISM PLUS (cheers and applause). It's wonderful, it's phenomenal, it makes him smile.

Try taking a shot every time he says, "curmudgeonly old white guy." If you light up, you'll go off like an exploding supertanker.
Atheism Plus? You mean that abortion that PZ, Greta, Ophelia, and Jen McCreight never seem to mention anymore?

I don't know how old that video is, but it seems to me that if he tried that speech today, the audience response would be laughter, not cheers and applause.

Really, A+ will go down as the biggest failure of Jen McCreight's life. So far.

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

Gumby wrote:Really, A+ will go down as the biggest failure of Jen McCreight's life. So far.
Has she really had enough to do with it to be associated with its failure? She could claim that her part hasn't even started yet.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Gumby wrote: Really, A+ will go down as the biggest failure of Jen McCreight's life. So far.
Well, we still don't know for sure whether the homeless guy actually managed t crack a fat for her, do we?

ikonografer

Post by ikonografer »

Eucliwood wrote:
ikonografer wrote:
welch wrote:
ikonografer wrote:"Ikonographer can enjoy this, can't he? I mean all those vowel-endy languages like Spanish, Portugeuse and Italian are the same, right?"

uh....i'm learning to understand the trogs here, no time for Portuguese. and uh....it's "Portuguese", not uh...whatever it was that u typed. just sayin', if ur gonna live in an English speaking country....you know....knowing the language, uh....yeah, that's a good thing. 8-) :snooty:
If you assume sarcasm, you tend to do better :-P

i was assuming sarcasm.
IKONOGRAFER. IS THAT YOU FROM THE CREIGHT YOUTUBE VIDEO? WHATS UP? CAN I HAVE AN AUTOGRAPH OR MAYBE AN EMAIL OF EXCHANGE?
have ur ppl call my ppl

Eucliwood

Post by Eucliwood »

That's really cold, ikonografer. Come on. I don't have people.

Darren

Post by Darren »

I don't know how these people function in the real world:
Ginny @ A+ wrote:We don't have a clear definition of abuse on this forum. We did, in fact, begin a discussion of it in the admin forum, and considered opening that discussion up to the members, but I suggested not doing that since we've just been talking about how damaging it is for someone who's been abused to even feel like they might be being accused of being abusive.
So many eggshells...

cunt

Post by cunt »

Scented Nectar wrote:
cunt wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
He actually said that he thinks he looks a bit like him. My rather cruel guess is that he's hoping to find out some day that Laurie is his father.

The show though, is quite good. I think you'll like the series.
I like it, but also got The Killing. It's just fucking unfair to put anything else on after that.

ikonografer

Post by ikonografer »

AbsurdWalls wrote:A+ seems to have evolved into a small discussion circle basically for the mods and for their closest pals where they can play fort. I don't think they would even be much offended by that characterisation. The high-profile initial advocates seemed to spot that pretty quickly, one only wonders what will be the next move. Creating a new label/community is not going to happen again anytime soon if A+ fails.

whatcha mean 'if' it fails? it's crashed and burned worse than when the hindenburg hit the titanic

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

AbsurdWalls wrote:
Gumby wrote:Really, A+ will go down as the biggest failure of Jen McCreight's life. So far.
Has she really had enough to do with it to be associated with its failure? She could claim that her part hasn't even started yet.
She could, but it's still her idea. It was her responsibility to guide it from its beginnings. Instead, she squatted down in the street, squirted that baby onto the pavement, flipped it a quarter and told it to call a cab. I'd personally love to see her try to sail in and save that mutated beast. The lulz would be epic. She'd probably get banned from her own forums.

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

Alright, I have not been following this as the posts mount up and it's gone by, gee, so fast, like my life... but let me say this:
Eucliwood wrote:Um, I'm not sure that would be a good thing to do... I'm pretty sure it would just result in more attitudes tossed my way o.o
Like I told A+, I cannot lurk without posting.
Yes you can. Keep your hands by your sides, or on your genitals, whatever form they might take. You are in control of your actions, unless of course you have some mental condition that compels you to post. Maybe I missed this?
Eucliwood wrote:As for Lsuoma... most posts I do are replies to things that are posted here. The less posts there are to reply to, the less posts I will do. I am so sorry for replying to people's posts. I am also sorry for sending someone an apology they missed via one PM. Really. (not really. whingers.)
Again: nobody is compelling you to reply to posts. YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR ACTIONS.

franc

Post by franc »

Eucliwood wrote:And...
http://i.imgur.com/HOGnW.png