So, I'm here

Double wank and shit chips
EdgePenguin

So, I'm here

Post by EdgePenguin »

Hi, I've lurked here a bit, thought I'd post.

I'm EdgePenguin AKA Pete Hague. Some of you may remember me from my brief stint running the second atheism plus Poe account. I also used to contribute to the Pod Delusion - although things happened there that were reminiscent of a milder form of FtB/Skepchick denouncement: http://edgepenguin.com/content/skeptics.html

(I don't wish to paint everyone at the Pod Delusion with the same brush, and it certainly isn't in the same league as this forum's traditional opponents for groupthink)

I've been driven to this place out of curiosity mainly; if someone people who are clearly wankers spend so much time and energy denouncing you, you must be doing something right!

Eucliwood

Re: So, I'm here

Post by Eucliwood »

What's up dude? I don't know who you are, but hello.

EdgePenguin

Post by EdgePenguin »

I wasn't expected to be well known, but I was aware my Poe antics had been commented on here at the time :)

Eucliwood

Post by Eucliwood »

What was your username on there? Tell me some more about A+. I only lasted there like 2 weeks before getting permabanned, and no, I was NOT trying to be permabanned. One minute I'm crying at the victim blaming one of their big turdscum members did to me, next thing I know, I'M the one banned. I almost coldn't believe it.

EdgePenguin

Post by EdgePenguin »

I wasn't on the forum, I was on twitter as @atheism_plus (as opposed to @atheismplus, another parody that was more overt)

I lasted right until I got bored, outed myself, and then got spammed with malicious reports and had the account suspended.

Eucliwood

Post by Eucliwood »

EdgePenguin wrote:I wasn't on the forum, I was on twitter as @atheism_plus (as opposed to @atheismplus, another parody that was more overt)

I lasted right until I got bored, outed myself, and then got spammed with malicious reports and had the account suspended.
WHY DID YOU OUT YOURSELF

EdgePenguin

Post by EdgePenguin »

Eucliwood wrote:
EdgePenguin wrote:I wasn't on the forum, I was on twitter as @atheism_plus (as opposed to @atheismplus, another parody that was more overt)

WHY DID YOU OUT YOURSELF
Several reasons

1) It was no longer fun/interesting, and it was hard work to keep up. I have better things to do with my time than run a parody twitter account..

2) I had so successfully fooled everyone, the point of the parody was somewhat lost. To be really funny, people have to be able to be in on the joke without being implicitly told.

3) I actually felt bad about it. Speaking to these people as a (fake) friend showed me them without their guard up, and I saw them as normal people who have simply made some intellectual errors. I didn't want to spend weeks/months fucking with them.

RichardReed84

Post by RichardReed84 »

I remember your Atheism Plus Twitter account, I really enjoyed it. And I should know a thing or two about Twitter accounts!

Eucliwood

Post by Eucliwood »

EdgePenguin wrote:
Eucliwood wrote:

WHY DID YOU OUT YOURSELF
Several reasons

1) It was no longer fun/interesting, and it was hard work to keep up. I have better things to do with my time than run a parody twitter account..

2) I had so successfully fooled everyone, the point of the parody was somewhat lost. To be really funny, people have to be able to be in on the joke without being implicitly told.

3) I actually felt bad about it. Speaking to these people as a (fake) friend showed me them without their guard up, and I saw them as normal people who have simply made some intellectual errors. I didn't want to spend weeks/months fucking with them.
You mean their side where they speak calmly about issues that don't involve flipping off the views here? Well, everyone has a mild side. Doesn't mean they shouldn't be fucked with for their other sides.

Eucliwood

Post by Eucliwood »

I'm sure they'd say the same for us here if we ever showed a totally agreeabletothem side.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Hey EP ... I'm a follower from twitter. Yay! Glad you've joined.

LMU

Post by LMU »

Hello and welcome!

I found great amusement in both the "parody" and the "official" A+ twitter accounts being Poes. Well done!

Also many people don't check new threads and read and post in the periodic table of swearing thread exclusively. You might consider introducing yourself there too if you haven't already (I'm not currently caught up).

mutleyeng

Post by mutleyeng »

Im surprised if you found it effected you IRL in the UK, but the Skeptics in the pub sadly does have a connection with you know who through hubby I guess.
Even so, I'd have thought the British Humanists seem largely to consist of intellectuals and academics.... isnt that a more appropriate bunch to be affiliated with?
Especially with Jim Al-Khalili now president elect.

EdgePenguin

Post by EdgePenguin »

mutleyeng wrote:Im surprised if you found it effected you IRL in the UK, but the Skeptics in the pub sadly does have a connection with you know who through hubby I guess.
Even so, I'd have thought the British Humanists seem largely to consist of intellectuals and academics.... isnt that a more appropriate bunch to be affiliated with?
Especially with Jim Al-Khalili now president elect.
Yes, there are some unpleasant characters (Watson fans etc) involved with SitP. I've been thinking of giving the Humanists a go, but there is still that association with the Pod Delusion and hence with folks there who consider me an unperson.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

I listened to this excellent lecture last night by Prof Brian Schmidt (Nobel Laureate - Physics) on the expanding universe and dark matter. It was really interesting!