Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads
franc

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by franc »

AchronTimeless

Post by AchronTimeless »

JackRayner wrote:So, I finally got around to watching Christina Hoff Sommers [snip] quotes Camille Paglia near the end
Good finds. Thanks for sharing!

AchronTimeless

Post by AchronTimeless »

franc wrote:
I see we have a race to the bottom. OK -

http://i.imgur.com/pVa4e.png
So wait, next round will be 2 people riding in her twat getting offended at each other? (That's a mental image I could've done without inventing)

sacha

Post by sacha »

Za-zen wrote:The king of spear chuckers
Prince Charming

In Bromley in May, the Prince saw Barbara Dubery, 90, in a wheelchair, wrapped in a foil blanket to fend off the cold, and asked her: “Are they going to put you in the oven next?”
To Susan Edwards and her guide dog in 2002: “They have eating dogs for the anorexic now.”
“People think there’s a rigid class system here, but dukes have even been known to marry chorus girls. Some have even married Americans.” 2000.
I find it quite entertaining when the SJWs and PC Police try to shame him.

AnimalAndy

Post by AnimalAndy »

sacha

Post by sacha »

codelette wrote:
rayshul wrote:
codelette wrote:Wanted to share this here, cause I know you guys will get a good laugh at this feminist's cognitive dissonance. I was reading Jessica Valenti's twitter (google her. she's your quintessential "first world problems" middle-class white feminist) and came across this tweet:
Jessica Valenti ‏@JessicaValenti
Tonight, this is what victory looks like http://instagr.am/p/Tpal1djfej/
Click on the link to see her daughter's Xmas gift:

lol. 'cause, gender binary and shit.
Maybe she just bought her a kitchen so she could tell her daughter to stay out of it. Like a training exercise or something.
Hopefully, she also bought some bread to teach her about other tools of the patriarchy
"little girl, I'm gonna teach you about how NOT to make a sammich!"
I think Valenti has it wired to give an electric shock that intensifies if her daughter does not back up immediately.
"This is what victory looks like"

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Rystefn wrote:
Except for Phil. He's actually a fucking idiot. We forgive him because he's Fretalian and has a sexy accent, though.
Hey now!

I don't have a sexy accent!

AchronTimeless

Post by AchronTimeless »

Ok, given that I haven't slept yet and I've been hanging out on this forum, this video reminded me of the folks at FTB. Figured some of you might agree especially given the mating... well "ritual" doesn't quite cover it.

[youtube]Z-BbpaNXbxg[/youtube]

Dan

Post by Dan »

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

AchronTimeless wrote:
Steersman wrote: There’s definitely been a lot of ground covered.
Yeah, I caught wind of all this around "elevatorgate", declared it to be insanity, and figured it'd burn itself out in a few weeks. Imagine my shock.
Steersman wrote: Welcome aboard; and good luck. :-)
Appreciate it, I'll need a fair bit. As much as the books/movie annoyed me, have to say I'm fond of "may the odds be ever in your favor" since the luck thing gets complicated with people's personal interpretations.

Still want a recurve bow though...
Interesting – remember seeing the advertisements for the movie, but hadn’t ever felt particularly motivated to see it – maybe why I’ve been accused of being “pop-culture deficient”. But from a quick survey it looks like it might be worth the effort, although I wonder. For instance, shooting from the hip, this seems a little too fatalistic for my tastes:
(The slogan of the games, chanted by game officials, is “May the odds be ever in your favor.”) If the odds aren’t in your favor in this world, hunger, malnourishment, poor working conditions, or death are part of your story.
Certainly the cards we’re dealt are, apparently anyway, largely a matter of luck. But knowing how the game works can very significantly improve them.

sacha

Post by sacha »

JackRayner wrote:
"So don't make women feel vindictive towards you!"

Ha! Haha! HahahahaHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
I would love to be able to laugh at that, but It is far too close to being (as franc would say) The Banality of Evil

The US court system is already 3/4 of the way there.

Men who apologise for and make derogatory comments about their gender while exhibiting master/slave level masochistic self-hatred, are already applauded by a majority of western society.

We are headed to a place where the quote above is the standard thought process.

I find that to be intensely frightening.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Little late to the party but meh....

http://memecrunch.com/meme/DDOJ/delivar/image.png

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Welcome to our newest members.
May your misogyny grow daily and may you contribute much to this rape culture we live in.

Dan

Post by Dan »

Paul Myers happy to have a hive mind.
I am quite fond of most of the commentariat here, even when they’re turning their teeth on me — it is exactly what I want, a fierce legion of harsh, sarcastic, opinionated, ferocious critics who can unreservedly shred fools and assholes and who are unrestrained in their expression. I’m not going to back away from my comments section at all; you are the people I want here, and I affectionately regard you all as my local meatgrinder.
Please don’t change. And when necessary, unleash hell.
http://www.freezepage.com/1356688792MOHLXYXAMS

AchronTimeless

Post by AchronTimeless »

Tony Parsehole wrote:Welcome to our newest members.
May your misogyny grow daily and may you contribute much to this rape culture we live in.
Thanks! Since rape apparently means "going out for drinks before sex" these days, or as I used to call it "a date", I'm looking forward to contributing in a very real and physical way.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

AchronTimeless wrote:
Thanks! Since rape apparently means "going out for drinks before sex" these days, or as I used to call it "a date", I'm looking forward to contributing in a very real and physical way.
If buying a lady a drink and then having sex with her is "rape" then why not spike her with Rohypnol anyway?

franc

Post by franc »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
AchronTimeless wrote:
If buying a lady a drink and then having sex with her is "rape" then why not spike her with Rohypnol anyway?
I think this is my favourite tweet of 2012, VirtualSatyr on SulkyAmy fleeing TAM in tears -

http://i.imgur.com/SKJe6.png

sacha

Post by sacha »

comslave wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:Neat! Just found out I'm listed here: http://skepticink.com/backgroundprobabi ... n-sexists/
F*ck! I'm not on the list yet! Have to try harder. :shock:
Gefan wrote: Does this get updated regularly? If so, can I get coaching on how to be included next time?
I know that I'm late to the party and everything but I''m willing to take instruction and work hard.
That's Damon's list, but you have both ensured that your name will never appear on a Baboon's list.

Out of all the "chill girls", "sister punishers", and "gender traitors" here, I am by far the most extreme. I am a brutal and merciless cunt towards women who display the most minor sexist behaviour. There is not one woman I completely trust, and away from the pit, very few I even like. I'm the first to admit I'm an MRA, and I've been like this as long as I can remember.

I'm an elder, established, life-long gender traitor

The thing is, the Baboons have always known I'm proud to be a gender traitor, but at first, they were not sure about the others, they were expecting to offend them, or shame them. Of course now they know that being on the list is considered an honor to most of the women, a trophy, a notch on their belts.

If you want to get them to name you specifically, you have to use reverse psychology.

Dan

Post by Dan »

Kassiane not happy with "Saint Mai"at atheismplus
Oh good, then Saint Mai won't see me say that Saint Mai doesn't belong in EssJay if she can't stand some criticism.

If she can't manage to be an oppressive ass--and clearly she can't--then she shouldn't be a mod. Period, end of.

This is not the first oppressive fuck up Saint Mai has made. Saint Mai was all for putting Matt Fucking Dillahunty above the rules because he's her FRIEND. Saint Mai was all for allowing her FRIEND Mr Samsa to be an abuse apologist and for demanding that oppressed people prove to her that abuse is really abuse.

AND SHE IS SORRY I FEEL THAT WAY.

And Saint Mai is all for letting some people--her FRIENDS--run around acting like assholes, for allowing herself to act like an asshole, for trampling all over boundaries, but oh she doesn't like you and you best be "nice", the anti tone policing rule be DAMNED.

NON EXISTENT GOD FORBID WE MAKE SAINT MAI SAD.

Admins, I hope YOU are fucking reading this.

You, yes YOU, have put in power someone who cannot be assed to put aside personal feelings. Where I come from--and I have adminned and modded many communities--if you can't do that without killfiling someone, you step down.

You have allowed a woman to continually, intentionally trigger people because she can't be assed to examine her own prejudices and behaviors. Oh because I make her feel bad so she had me killfiled, so she doesn't see "Yeah don't do that". HOW. FUCKING. CONVENIENT.

WHAT THE BLAZING FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU ALL?????????? ON WHAT PLANET IS THIS ACCEPTABLE BEHAVIOR FOR A MODERATOR??????

I expect an explanation. Because this is FUCKING bullshit and clearly you don't understand social justice. Good job on the "safe space". You keep using those words. They don't mean what you think they mean.

This is why I don't trust you. Because you don't fucking deserve it. You're the same privileged assholes who are in charge everywhere else.

http://www.freezepage.com/1356691408VRTTZARSOU

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

franc wrote: I think this is my favourite tweet of 2012, VirtualSatyr on SulkyAmy fleeing TAM in tears -

http://i.imgur.com/SKJe6.png
Ahh...Memories. T-shirt-gate. Probably my favourite moment of all the drama in 2012.

Laden's impending breakdown is entertaining and all but it's marred by the presence of Laden. Becky's talk at Skepticon was more fail than funny but T-shirt gate had it all: Feminist over-reaction, tears, tantrums, witch hunt, hypocrisy, backtracking, lying, humiliation, mass-bans and maximum hilarity.
The baboons have 3 days to top it. I doubt it's gonna happen.

sacha

Post by sacha »

sacha wrote:
The thing is, the Baboons have always known I'm proud to be a gender traitor
at least once they were no longer convinced I was franc pretending to be a woman. I think some still believe that.

AchronTimeless

Post by AchronTimeless »

Dan wrote:Kassiane not happy with "Saint Mai"at atheismplus
Honestly, while that was a bit shall we say "off-kilter" it wasn't what I found disturbing. The rest of the conversation from that freezepage link (which btw I am so remembering that site from now on) shows a more frightening glimpse at the systemic dumbfuckery being cultivated over there. One person going off on a rant is entertaining, but seeing what passes for being little jabs from everyone else just because they smell blood in the self-important waters...

I really can't convey my feelings properly aside from the amount of painkillers I'm suddenly in need of from having my eyebrows tweaked violently in opposing directions while facepalming with great intensity. Can I sue them for whiplash, or would that be considered a privilege of being a vertebrate animal?

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Dan wrote:Kassiane not happy with "Saint Mai"at atheismplus
*snip* Where I come from--and I have adminned and modded many communities...*snip*
Yeah. Sure. I believe you Kassaine. You just don't want to be specific because of privilege. On another note I'm a Royal Marine with 56 kills this month.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

sacha

Post by sacha »

Scented Nectar wrote: You won't make the list either. Damion only wants real sounding names on the list.
I know that's what he says, but everyone knows my real name is sacha
(and most know my last name - shhhh - silence! - one must not speak it, for it is evil incarnate, and vocalisation of its name, could unlock the gate)

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Sex tape? What sex tape?

Oh, they mean the dumb little GIF animation of a dog going all humpy on a cow that barely notices it.

The Drama, oh, the drama.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Ape+lust wrote:[minge]http://i.imgur.com/tezKr.jpg[/minge]
Ignoring actual content in a prickish manner: Man, I like that radial star-burst background. Did you do that using PhotoShoop polar coordinates?

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

I like how Stefyf and Greg think Mykeru "made a sex tape" of a dog fucking a cow. As if he was sat in a muddy field directing the animals whilst he filmed them. It never crossed their mind that he uploaded a pre-existing animated Gif. from the web.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Mykeru wrote:
Ape+lust wrote:[minge]http://i.imgur.com/tezKr.jpg[/minge]
Ignoring actual content in a prickish manner: Man, I like that radial star-burst background. Did you do that using PhotoShoop polar coordinates?
I wish I was shoopin'. I use GIMP, a prickly beast that needs to be beaten into submission before it'll do anything (it's a filter called Line Nova).

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Let's get rid of Infirmary Feminism, with its bedlam of bellyachers, anorexics, bulimics, depressives, rape victims, and incest survivors. Feminism has become a catch-all vegetable drawer where bunches of clingy sob sisters can store their moldy neuroses.
Paglia again. Fuck me Rayner that chick is quotable.

AchronTimeless

Post by AchronTimeless »

Ape+lust wrote:I wish I was shoopin'. I use GIMP, a prickly beast that needs to be beaten into submission before it'll do anything (it's a filter called Line Nova).
Yeah, I'm still not used to gimp. I've used photoshop for so long that I'm just used to how it's laid out. Alas, my dusty copy of CS2 is missing a lot of features from the newer ones and I've long outgrown my penchant for piracy from my youth. I kept the pirate hat though. I look good in the hat.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Oh even better. From Sexual Personae: Art and Decadence from Nefertiti to Emily Dickinson:
We have an evolutionary revulsion from slime, the site of our biologic origins. Every month, it is woman's fate to face the abyss of time and being, the abyss which is herself.
LOOK YE INTO THE PIT LEST THE PIT LOOK BACK INTO YE ER FUCK

Aw fuck it's been a long fucking time since I was a gothic teenager, I don't remember my Nietzsche.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

AchronTimeless wrote:Yeah, I'm still not used to gimp. I've used photoshop for so long that I'm just used to how it's laid out. Alas, my dusty copy of CS2 is missing a lot of features from the newer ones and I've long outgrown my penchant for piracy from my youth. I kept the pirate hat though. I look good in the hat.
Go with your old CS2. You're already miles ahead of current GIMP and GIMP will just make you mad (this'll work if it's Tuesday and there's no piano lessons and I hang a leg out the window?). GIMP can do maybe 90-some percent of what Photoshop does, but it might break you getting there.

AchronTimeless

Post by AchronTimeless »

Ape+lust wrote: Go with your old CS2. You're already miles ahead of current GIMP and GIMP will just make you mad (this'll work if it's Tuesday and there's no piano lessons and I hang a leg out the window?). GIMP can do maybe 90-some percent of what Photoshop does, but it might break you getting there.
Ah, but there's a magic word that makes a mess of that suggestion. Linux.

I switched over around the time Windows 8 was about to come out. I figured, if I'm going to rant about how shitty of an operating system it is and how microsoft have lost their minds* then I'd better at least follow through with what I was saying and stop using their products. It's been a mixed experience, but even with some of the headaches I haven't sorted out yet, I like it better. I didn't start off being good with windows, so I don't expect to be good with this right off either.

*Full rant available upon request.

sacha

Post by sacha »

acathode wrote:It's pretty disgusting seeing how much of the creationists tactics Myers and the rest are prepared to borrow. Obviously, the dirty tactics handbook has and is used by all politicians and ideologues, and only contains a limited number of old and tried tactics, but still, you'd think that the audience would recognize the tactics they've been trained, over and over again, to spot when creationists use them.

The whole "feminism is just believing women are humans too" is just the old creationists "being Christian just means being a moral person!" re-branded. It's just dishonestly reducing your position down to such a banal and obvious position that no one decent and good could be against you, ergo, everyone who isn't on your side is evil scum.

(sorry, I'm aware that the creationist example isn't usually how they phrase it, but I can't remember the exact phrasing atm, the result is the same, they equate being Christian to being moral, ergo anyone not Christian is also not moral).
DownThunder wrote:It does often work, but only part of the time. The other result that they did not factor in is the opposite effect - the word misogyny loses its impact.
The thing with misogyny losing it's current meaning is that eventually, a big portion of the population will have gotten used to everything being "misogynistic", and they stop caring about actual misogyny. After they've gotten accused 1000s of times, over the time of a decade, for being misogynists for simply disagreeing with gender feminism, the next time someone comes shouting "Saudi Arabia is full of misogyny!", the response will be "ROFL MISOGYNY!!!!111 Call the whambulance!!!".

It's pretty extreme, but it's more or less how things have turned out here in Sweden, after the word "racist" has lost most of it's original meaning due media applying it to anyone who dares have an opinion about immigration that is not "everyone should be allowed to come here!". Not only does the word lose it's original shocking meaning, but people also seem to be more susceptible to becoming real racists after the stigma is washed out, suddenly having no trouble whatsoever using the N-word and similar slurs. After all, what's the worst thing you can do? Call them racist? That's about as scary as being called misogynist by PZ...
those who cry wolf have no empathy for the truly victimised

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

AchronTimeless wrote:Ah, but there's a magic word that makes a mess of that suggestion. Linux.

I switched over around the time Windows 8 was about to come out. I figured, if I'm going to rant about how shitty of an operating system it is and how microsoft have lost their minds* then I'd better at least follow through with what I was saying and stop using their products. It's been a mixed experience, but even with some of the headaches I haven't sorted out yet, I like it better. I didn't start off being good with windows, so I don't expect to be good with this right off either.

*Full rant available upon request.
I know the rant, bro. I use Linux myself :). Mint 14 XFCE at the moment.

Apart from being a man of modest means (I like funnin' the FTB clowns, but it's not worth $700), I'm also stuck with whatever Linux has to offer, which isn't much in way of raster graphic editors. If wrangling GIMP gets too annoying, you can give Pinta a try. It's less powerful, a PAINT.NET clone, but it's easy to use.

Throw CS2 into Wine, see what happens. It might just work. I know it does for some people.

franc

Post by franc »

Ape+lust wrote:Throw CS2 into Wine, see what happens. It might just work. I know it does for some people.
http://wiki.winehq.org/AdobePhotoshop

AchronTimeless

Post by AchronTimeless »

Mint 14 Cinnamon here.. well, kinda. Cinnamon is refusing to work without using duct tape and happy thoughts, and that doesn't make it through a reboot.

Linux, it's infinitely configurable to any system. Yep, even 2 monitors at once with a bit of work. 3!? What the hell do you want 3 for, go back to 2, that's how you get it running.

Well screw that. I want my 3 monitors, and by the repulsive beauty of glittery unicorn shit, I shall have them! So, I'm using a not quite completely functional backup hack of gnome until I get annoyed enough to fix it properly.

Also, if I suddenly stop responding, I think my bout with insomnia is coming to an end. Feeling a little fuzzy in the brain pan.

tfoot

Post by tfoot »

http://freethoughtblogs.com/dispatches/ ... ent-206946
"Except none of that is true. Thunderfoot was not “banned” for “merely for expressing differing opinions” on any issue. He was removed from our slate of bloggers, not by PZ but by me. And it was because, as I’ve said many times, I did not have one single exchange with him in the 10 days or so that he was here that was not hostile and belligerent. He violated someone’s copyright, someone who is both a friend of the network and an advertiser on the network, then insulted her for daring to assert her rights. And then he launched into a huge tirade against me for telling him he can’t do that because it puts me in legal jeopardy. He simply does not play well with others. Things were only going to get worse, that was clear, so I pulled the plug. Guess what? I can do that. It’s my network. And his subsequent behavior, including using a backdoor to weasel his way back on the mailing list, after which he forwarded the content of conversations he knew he had no right to access to other people, has only proven my decision to be 100% correct. Thunderfoot is a first class fucking asshole by any possible measure."

Im not sure what Eds playing at here, but the emails bear IN FACT bear out a significantly different version of events than the one Ed keeps telling (willful disinformation/ defamation?)

Here is the email from Ed saying I should take down Roths image.
Eds email:

The image of the sign about sexism being the problem on your misogyny
post is apparently owned by Amy Roth and she is demanding that it be
removed. Any time you use any image at FTB, you must be absolutely sure
you have permission to use it or you could cause real legal problems for
me. Please remove it and let me know when it's done. Thanks.

Ed

My reply
Done.
Best wishes,
Tfoot

Hmm, what was that Ed? "I did not have one single exchange with him in the 10 days or so that he was here that was not hostile and belligerent."

Ed replies

" Okay, seriously. You seem to be intent on pissing off everyone for no reason. Please remove the insult at Amy Roth. You stole her copyrighting image, I don't think it's appropriate to replace it with a slam on her for calling you on it. You've been here less than a week and you're already causing me serious problems. This shit needs to stop. I'm sitting in an airport having to deal with you acting like a juvenile and I'm not happy about it."

my reply

So Ed Brayton wrote to me:
“Okay, seriously. You seem to be intent on pissing off everyone for no reason. Please remove the insult at Amy Roth. You stole her copyrighting image, I don't think it's appropriate to replace it with a slam on her for calling you on it. “
Okay Ed, I think I would say your email is hositle and beligerant, y'know that horrible crime you threw me off the network for.

My reply
"Let me make this clear Ed.
1) copyright infringement IS NOT THEFT OR STEALING, in the same way arson IS NOT THEFT. They are different forms of illegal activity.
2) I only removed the image for YOUR benefit. Had this been on my channel I would have very publicly given Amy the finger on the ground of fair use, commentary/ news worthy/ does not significantly diminish the value of the work and “dragged her legally beaten carcass around the walls of troy” as I have done NUMEROUS reprehensible muppets who try to use copyright laws as a way of trying to stifling free speech. I am stunned that you seem to think that her behavior was either legitimate, or should be supported. And yes in the absence of some form of sign of contrition from Amy, she will presently join the ranks of venomfangx, kent hovind, the Discovery Institute, Drcraigvideos and others. Would anyone here suggest that she deserves any less fair treatment?

Ignoring the free speech aspects for a second. A quick summary of copyright law: if someone quotes my blog, have they infringed my copyright? Well actually yes, and I am entirely within my rights to sue them for it (or make requests that you take the material down). However there is the fair use defense, which IS NOT AN EXCLUSION FROM PROSECUTION, but a defense in prosecution, which in practice means if you try, you will lose a lot of cases. Further if you can be shown to have frivolously put forward a copyright claim without taking the fair use provision into consideration, you yourself incur a legal liability and can be sued.

Ed Brayton continues
“You've been here less than a week and you're already causing me serious problems. This shit needs to stop. I'm sitting in an airport having to deal with you acting like a juvenile and I'm not happy about it.”

Really Ed? When I was invited on here I was given the verbal assurance by PZ Myers that there would be no effort to exert coercive control of the content of the blogs as you are doing here. It is now the value of his word that you play with.
Nor is this 'terrible juvenile insult' even remotely rare on blogs on this site. Indeed I would go so far as to say this terrible 'insult' is remarkably vanilla and 'par for the course' compared to what some of the blogs have said about me. Should they remove those insults and apologize for them too? Should I have them all apologies to me for the terrible things they have said after they 'stole' my work?

Look even before I'd made my first post I was being asked by ppl on FTB to apologies for things I had never said (such as being a, and I quote, " misogyny", " rape-culture apologism," " not being very careful in treading the line between challenging Islam and outright racism," "ableism" " and "online diagnosis", devaluing addicts") and when I called bullshit on this and asked for where I had said these things, I got a long series of sheepish replies equal to 'Oh sorry, I didn't realise that rumors werent facts'

I have done nothing but present reasoned arguments, and you try to pressure me on the basis that some quarters do like the arguments (WTF? REALLY WTF?). Well the arguments stand on their merits, ones which PZ now actually seems to agree with (having maybe now actually read the post)?? MAYBE YOU WOULD BE BETTER SERVED IN READING WHAT WAS WRITTEN THAN PRESENTING A BUNCH OF STRAWMEN.

But maybe a clarification is required Ed as to who I am permitted to offend and who I am prohibited from offending on freethoughtblogs.

Best wishes,
Tfoot"

It seems Ed wasnt very happy about me telling everyone that he was supporting the abusive use of copyright to suppress free speech. Ed replies
"Oi vey. I come back from hours of meetings to this. First of all, the email that I sent you was private, it was not on this list. And I'm more than a bit irritated that you chose to respond to it on the list rather than privately.

Second of all, fair use is irrelevant here. Fair use allows you to use snippets from someone else's written work to comment on them, but you can't use the entire work without permission. Amy's image was the full work and you took it all without permission. But even if that wasn't the case, I really don't care. I come from the world of journalism, where rule #1 is that you never use someone else's image without permission. Ever. Her request that it be taken down was entirely reasonable and I told you to take it down, which you did and then replaced it with a gratuitous slam on her for daring to assert her copyright after you took it without permission or attribution. What's that mean? It means you're just being a dick for no reason. And with this email, you've decided to double down and be an even bigger dick.

Amy Roth is not only an ally and a friend of nearly everyone here, she's also an advertiser. Being a dick to her for no reason whatsoever is likely to cost us all money. So you need to stop being a dick. If you don't think that request is fair, the door is over on the left. Don't let it hit you in the ass.

Ed
"

My reply
"Dear Ed,
I was given assurances that no pressure would be exerted concerning the content of material. Had I not received such assurances I would not have seen fit to have conducted this matter on this forum.

Previously I asked 'who I am permitted to offend and who I am prohibited from offending on freethoughtblogs.'
Do I understand your email correctly that I am prohibited from criticizing Amy Roth irrespective of her conduct, on freethoghtblogs?

You may further wish to shed light on the discrepancy between what Amy reports that she merely suggested to me in an email (something I have no record of) that I give her credit, and your email to me stating that she demanded that I remove the image. Clearly there is a level of misunderstanding here that needs clarification.

Best wishes,
Tfoot

PS The fact that the first thing Amy has done is post my copyrighted image doesnt seem to bother you at all? I would have expected given your reasons cited below that it would.

"

Hmm, what was that Ed? "I did not have one single exchange with him in the 10 days or so that he was here that was not hostile and belligerent." Anyway, Ed, not wanting to sound hositle or beligerant replies:

' You understand my email correctly if you recognize that you're being a fucking asshole to practically everyone and you have been so from the moment you joined. And I'm getting fed up with it. I don't mind arguments over substance or content, that's more than fine with me. We argue amongst each other all the time. I'm not fine with you just being a dick to virtually everyone else on the site and to our allies. You can read that any way you want. And if you feel like the assurances you thought you had gotten have been violated, nothing is preventing you from leaving. I've been traveling all over the country for the past week and every time I log in from an airport or a motel, I'm faced with yet another blowup in response to you being a dick. And I'm fed up with it.

Ed
"

There you go, straight from Eds mouth. 'Sure we gave you verbal assurances that you could post about whatever you want. However we lied to you about that. If you feel that us lying to you was bad, you can leave'

Damn, I've never seen an organization so flippant about throwing away the credibility of its agreements. 'Sure we said that we would deliver XXX on the XXX, but we decided we didn't want to do it after all'. What sensible person would trust such a company again? Indeed what sort of person would trust anything such an organization said to you. When they are happy to renege on a personal assurance simply because its convenient to them, does this not reduce the value of any assurances they give to zero?

Anyways, my last email:
' Well what did you expect?

If I didnt roll over and play dead when I was potentially playing for real stakes either with YT when they could have banned the channel, or with religious sorts who really dont have a sense of humor about their prophet being drawn, or a horde of others, did you really think that I would simply agree with you all because Im in the minority, for political conformity or because of a few snide posts?

-I think you are WAY off base on the amount of attention you give the sexual harassment issue.

Just remember, I was the one who posted the calm, objective post (albeit under a reactionary title).

Y'all were the guys who decided the best way to respond to this was with posts dripping with pointless personal invective and strawmen and strawmen and strawmen.

I was not the one who derailed the possibility for a genuine and thoughtful discussion, but those who fill their posts with pointless and diversionary branding.... MRA, Feminist, mysogynist, bigot etc etc, or do not even make an attempt to honestly address the points raised.

If you see me calling BS on those who acted in such a fashion as "thrashing around at everyone", then we fundamentally disagree where the fault lies with this 'drama'"

So to the conclusions. I think I actually conducted myself in a fairly objective fashion, while Ed in this exchange is the one whole can lay almost exclusive ownership of the terms 'hostile and belligerent'. The obvious irony being, that if my assessment is correct then Ed threw me off the network for HIS hostility and belligerence which he had projected onto my objectivity.

However its always easy to suffer the bias of ego, so now given the facts, what do you make of it all?

TFoot

Post by TFoot »

arse, hit submit by accident, but whatever, you get the gist.

homerxray

Post by homerxray »

Tfoot... it's more complex than that. It was all Mykeru's fault.

AchronTimeless

Post by AchronTimeless »

Well that was quite the read. I'm a little confused why they're still beating that particular dead horse with ya TFoot, but I guess it's because it gets them attention.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Ape+lust wrote:
AchronTimeless wrote:Yeah, I'm still not used to gimp. I've used photoshop for so long that I'm just used to how it's laid out. Alas, my dusty copy of CS2 is missing a lot of features from the newer ones and I've long outgrown my penchant for piracy from my youth. I kept the pirate hat though. I look good in the hat.
Go with your old CS2. You're already miles ahead of current GIMP and GIMP will just make you mad (this'll work if it's Tuesday and there's no piano lessons and I hang a leg out the window?). GIMP can do maybe 90-some percent of what Photoshop does, but it might break you getting there.
I use Photoslop professionally (because it's what's on the system at work) , but prefer Paint Shop Pro for my own web work. Right now learning the PSP X5 Ultimate that I had to get on the new puter.

Point is, I would blow you like Greg Laden behind P.Z. Meyers UM dumpster for a blank of that radial starburst.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Mykeru wrote:I use Photoslop professionally (because it's what's on the system at work) , but prefer Paint Shop Pro for my own web work. Right now learning the PSP X5 Ultimate that I had to get on the new puter.

Point is, I would blow you like Greg Laden behind P.Z. Meyers UM dumpster for a blank of that radial starburst.
Man, you talk pretty. It'll be on imgur in a few...

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

I would say I am shocked at how far Ed Brayton went to get TF00t to take down a fucking image that was used without permission (OH NO! A PHOTO OF MY "ART" IS BEING USED AND NOBODY ASKED ME FIRST!) but this is FTB, the place where people who don't agree are likened to mass murderers, and nothing shocks me about hat place anymore. It's the joke of the internet.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

150 x 150

300 x 300

600 x 600

1200 x 1200

Imgur puts a backdrop or something on the display, so it looks wrong. But when you save it it'll have an alpha channel.

If you want a custom burst, I'll need the image size, the radius of the center clearing, and number of spokes (currently 200).

welch

Post by welch »

Dan wrote:Paul Myers happy to have a hive mind.
I am quite fond of most of the commentariat here, even when they’re turning their teeth on me — it is exactly what I want, a fierce legion of harsh, sarcastic, opinionated, ferocious critics who can unreservedly shred fools and assholes and who are unrestrained in their expression. I’m not going to back away from my comments section at all; you are the people I want here, and I affectionately regard you all as my local meatgrinder.
Please don’t change. And when necessary, unleash hell.
http://www.freezepage.com/1356688792MOHLXYXAMS
Unleash hell?

Well, I suppose the unrestrained yapping of thousands of chihuarats would be a KIND of hell, but nothing that a lawn mower and a can of Coleman fuel couldn't fix.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

tfoot wrote:
However its always easy to suffer the bias of ego, so now given the facts, what do you make of it all?
Well, that has it all: The socially awkward 12 year-old whining of the Best and the Brightest at Freethought Blogs, the shameless double standards demonstrating who you are in the hierarchy of the butt-hurt is more important than what you do, the obsessive need to control, blah blah blah...

Mostly it demonstrates how the whiny victim narrative is so important to these people that there's nothing, absolutely nothing, so minor that it can't be used as the condensation nuclei for a good old dogpiling bitch-fest.

And all of this starts with little old Amy Roth who thinks the spirit behind Creative Commons was designed to make her cry.

Look kids: When you toss something out there in the market of ideas, whether it's a blog post, an article or an image, you've opened yourself up for Fair Use for comment, criticism, even parody. If you've put something out there and someone points to it as something you've done, you have no right, none at all, to reel it back in. The marketplace of ideas isn't your personal yard sale.

Legal trouble for Fair Use Ed Brayton? Seriously, you need to put a better class of lawyer on retainer, or just stop making shit up when convenient so you can coddle one of your special snowflakes.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Ape+lust wrote:150 x 150

300 x 300

600 x 600

1200 x 1200

Imgur puts a backdrop or something on the display, so it looks wrong. But when you save it it'll have an alpha channel.

If you want a custom burst, I'll need the image size, the radius of the center clearing, and number of spokes (currently 200).
Ah, thank you. There's the car sticker right there.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Tony Parsehole wrote:I would say I am shocked at how far Ed Brayton went to get TF00t to take down a fucking image that was used without permission (OH NO! A PHOTO OF MY "ART" IS BEING USED AND NOBODY ASKED ME FIRST!) but this is FTB, the place where people who don't agree are likened to mass murderers, and nothing shocks me about hat place anymore. It's the joke of the internet.
When PZ and Ed spent a couple of years pissing on each other, it was because Ed was an accomodationist, if I remember right. Now look at him. Be nice to religionistas, but if you choke on archfeminist noise then you can go fuck yourself.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Ape+lust wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:I would say I am shocked at how far Ed Brayton went to get TF00t to take down a fucking image that was used without permission (OH NO! A PHOTO OF MY "ART" IS BEING USED AND NOBODY ASKED ME FIRST!) but this is FTB, the place where people who don't agree are likened to mass murderers, and nothing shocks me about hat place anymore. It's the joke of the internet.
When PZ and Ed spent a couple of years pissing on each other, it was because Ed was an accomodationist, if I remember right. Now look at him. Be nice to religionistas, but if you choke on archfeminist noise then you can go fuck yourself.
They both proudly wear Surly-Ramics:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8504/8318 ... d1c2_o.jpg

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

BTW Ape+Lust. If you made those pics using Gimp then I'm even more impressed than I was before. Give yourself a pat on the cock mate.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Tony Parsehole wrote:BTW Ape+Lust. If you made those pics using Gimp then I'm even more impressed than I was before. Give yourself a pat on the cock mate.
I know doing that in PhotoShop involves a laborious process of making a image half one color, half the other, saving it as a pattern, bucket tooling it onto the base layer, applying polar coordinates that invariable end up going weird...

I hate Photoshop. And Photoshop hates me right back.

welch

Post by welch »

Wait, wait, let me get this straight. Ed Brayton, Mr. "I come from the world of journalism" is angry because you're pissing off an ADVERTISER?
Amy Roth is not only an ally and a friend of nearly everyone here, she's also an advertiser. Being a dick to her for no reason whatsoever is likely to cost us all money. So you need to stop being a dick. If you don't think that request is fair, the door is over on the left. Don't let it hit you in the ass.
Yep. Ed is naught but a big fat poser.

Journalist. Only in the "I'm a weepy tit with a diary JOURNAL!!" sense.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Tony Parsehole wrote:BTW Ape+Lust. If you made those pics using Gimp then I'm even more impressed than I was before. Give yourself a pat on the cock mate.
"It's not self-abuse Ma, it's kudos from online friends"

Thanks, Tony!

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Mykeru wrote:
I know doing that in PhotoShop involves a laborious process of making a image half one color, half the other, saving it as a pattern, bucket tooling it onto the base layer, applying polar coordinates that invariable end up going weird...

I hate Photoshop. And Photoshop hates me right back.
I use Paintshop Pro (on anything I want to make at least passable quality). Not because it's better or anything but just because I grew up using it. I tried Photoshop and, after a cursory glance, stuck my fingers in my ears and shouted "lalalalalallal" until it went away. Way too advanced for me.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

sacha wrote:
sacha wrote:
The thing is, the Baboons have always known I'm proud to be a gender traitor
at least once they were no longer convinced I was franc pretending to be a woman. I think some still believe that.
If I'm responsible for everything bad that's happened to Greg Laden (rather than Greg Laden himself, the very thought being outrageous) and yet I'm your sock puppet, and you are Francs sock puppet and...

http://cdn.uproxx.com/wp-content/upload ... s-whoa.jpg

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Cue Ed Brayton moaning about TF00t releasing the content of his e-mails in 3.....2.....1..

Eucliwood

Post by Eucliwood »

Mykeru wrote:
tfoot wrote:
Well, that has it all: The socially awkward 12 year-old whining of the Best and the Brightest at Freethought Blogs, the shameless double standards demonstrating who you are in the hierarchy of the butt-hurt is more important than what you do, the obsessive need to control, blah blah blah...

Mostly it demonstrates how the whiny victim narrative is so important to these people that there's nothing, absolutely nothing, so minor that it can't be used as the condensation nuclei for a good old dogpiling bitch-fest.

And all of this starts with little old Amy Roth who thinks the spirit behind Creative Commons was designed to make her cry.

Look kids: When you toss something out there in the market of ideas, whether it's a blog post, an article or an image, you've opened yourself up for Fair Use for comment, criticism, even parody. If you've put something out there and someone points to it as something you've done, you have no right, none at all, to reel it back in. The marketplace of ideas isn't your personal yard sale.

Legal trouble for Fair Use Ed Brayton? Seriously, you need to put a better class of lawyer on retainer, or just stop making shit up when convenient so you can coddle one of your special snowflakes.
What do you mean by that? That sounds like a sentence about not hogging ideas. doesn't have to do with denying you've done something you've done when someone finger points at you. As for certain cases, yeah, I'm not for people trying to hush it up. But in some cases I'm fine with it. In these cases, I didn't approve of the finger pointing at it in the first place. (see: this year's sick stalking incident o.O)

franc

Post by franc »

So a doe eyed waif walks into the A+ forums -

http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3370
Re: Seeking Stories about Sexism for Article

Postby Setar » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:47 am

bubblesort wrote:Why not support that and suggest covering genderqueer issues, rather than denying all support until our demands are met?

wtf. what is it with this goddamn bullshit implying that we somehow have to compromise on having our goddamned existence recognized. what the fucking hell shit and fuck. this is the single worst, most condescending statement, well...ever.

this isn't compromise. this is you dangling an entire community's goddamn existence above my head just out of reach and commanding us to jump. if you keep doing this, you're going to end up being (figuratively) kicked, and at that point it's going to be up to you whether you want to shape up or throw a tantrum.
Etc. And it's only 1 page so far.