Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads
jjbinx007

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by jjbinx007 »

ReneeHendricks wrote:LMAO! Ok, so Greg Laden is very butthurt. It seems Mykeru put out a tweet encouraging people to review Greggie-poo-kins book, "Sungudogo". Now, the tweet *DOES NOT SAY* to give a 1 star review. Rather just review it. Greg lies (what a shocker!) in his post and says Mykeru is "asking his friends to write one star reviews" of his (I'm assuming) shit book.

If you're interested in reading Greg's verbal barfing, here's the link - http://scienceblogs.com/gregladen/2012/ ... -sungudogo.

Greg just asked people to review a book they haven't read and give it a positive score! That's against Amazon's T&C.

jjbinx007

Post by jjbinx007 »

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/23/techn ... .html?_r=1&

"Giving raves to family members is no longer acceptable. Neither is writers’ reviewing other writers. But showering five stars on a book you admittedly have not read is fine."

Tut tut, Greg. Asking people to give high scores and fake reviews to a book they've never read? What an unethical asshat you are.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Gumby wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:LMAO! Ok, so Greg Laden is very butthurt. It seems Mykeru put out a tweet encouraging people to review Greggie-poo-kins book, "Sungudogo". Now, the tweet *DOES NOT SAY* to give a 1 star review. Rather just review it. Greg lies (what a shocker!) in his post and says Mykeru is "asking his friends to write one star reviews" of his (I'm assuming) shit book.

If you're interested in reading Greg's verbal barfing, here's the link - http://scienceblogs.com/gregladen/2012/ ... -sungudogo.
This edition of "WAAAHHHH!!! UNFAIR!!!" brought to you by the crowd who loves to "pharyngulate" polls to skew the results in their favor. Hypocrites.
:lol: Ah, there is a Santa after all. And no, Greg, Mykeru didn't ask people to give it a 1 star review, you snivelling, lying little toad - as the screencap you put so prominently on yor page demonstrates. Honestly, o tomato-faced one - do you really think other people are as stupid as you? I do like the fact that you fall back on the 'but it's for charideee!' ploy, as if that makes your book suddenly readable. Jesus, even your poor old pal Emily couldn't bring herself to give it five stars. Talk about a half-hearted, 'I really don't wanna do this' puff:
After having flipped through a few of the previews for it, I'm anxiously anticipating reading this little book in its entirety.
:lol: Merry Christmas, Greg.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Nah, I can do without reading Laden's spewing because I've already determined that he's mentally and emotionally a twelve-year old and/or just fucking delusional.

He really seems incapable to thinking through the next step. Steersman is right to the extent that unlike Laden, I can think a couple steps ahead. That doesn't make me a chess player though, just not stupid.

The thing that puzzled me at first is that he keeps using the name "Michael Cortese" when all the "about" and copyright on the site was under "M.G. Cortese", as I was named for my grandfathers, Michael Anthony Cortese and Gordon Ian MacKenzie. Then it occurred to me that he's trying to form an association to my half-hearted professional LinkedIn account for the next Asshole On The Internet play of employer tattling.

As I was the recipient of some ridiculous and impossible accusations back in 2005 --after all, that goes hand-in-hand with doxxing-- that I was hosting my site on my employer's server when I got involved in this recent schism I joked about it to people in my office, including my boss, telling him to expect more of the same. The joke there is where I work the desktops are in total lock-down. You need administrative privileges to install a fucking extension in Chrome and we don't even have Window's Movie maker on our PCs. Even trying to access a site like Incompetech (where I got the theme music for Creepy Bittergrrl) to download PDF graph paper is blocked for "MP3 Downloading". All the stuff they find most offensive is done with my own programs, on my own time or with my own smartphone. Contrary to the sort of selective Right-to-Work mentality the FTBers may have, I can have my own life and right to conscience.

Now, where it's really apparent that none of these clown can think ahead, is after my doxing in 2005 I planned ahead should someone do more of the same. I have lawyers on retainer at Vienna Law Group in Fairfax, VA. As soon as Laden, Svan or one of their minions begins the employer tattling and bogus accusation, I sue them, as the instigators, for tortuous interference. Way back in October I posted here that my long game, should the harassment start, is getting the principle assholes in the FTB clown car of harassment under deposition and that dream may yet come true.

I don't know how much Ed Brayton has got to spend to get his pipes cleaned, but he should seriously set aside some money for lawyers.

If they have been going over what I have written with a fine-tooth comb then surely they would have known there would be consequences for their habitual doxxing and harassment, so any of their whining about it as it goes down, after they were warned, will be laughed at.

I don't know why no one has sued these fuckers for libel and interference yet, but I assume it was just a lack of resources or will. But that can't be the case because I'm sure people would kick up a few bucks to watch Greg Laden's deposition on YouTube.

Apparently Laden thought he would dox me and I would slink off begging not to be harmed by his superior haxxor skills. Yeah, dream on pud-knocker, because within minutes I brought attention to your crap book and encouraged people to review it. I did say it wasn't worth the single 5 star review he's been gloating over, but that's within my rights and isn't tortuous interference, otherwise Michiko Kakutani would be giving $10 hand jobs by now.

Although I have no doubt that the FTB meme will be "Mykeru encouraged people to review Greg Laden's book, so getting him fired is fair game". Good luck with that, assholes. If you can't see the difference between some guy flogging his book under his own name for recognition and a few bucks and someone who never mentioned his name, where he works or where his ex-wife lived, then you are too stupid to be tolerated. And you won't be.

The reason I don't mind him kicking around my given name, even if they do the old "keep him out of the conference, he's a evil rape enabler" crap, is that I might try to pick up some of their speaking bucks. I'm not sure who people would prefer to hear, the guy with genuine skeptical credentials who managed, despite talking like a retarded chimp, to get on some podcasts who also does amusing and self-effacing cartoon videos or the twee megalomaniac whose hobby is fobbing off pseudo-scientific crap and harassing people.

It's a toss-up, who is funnier, I guess.

Their other attack is going to inevitably be to claim that I somehow threatened them. We saw this earlier with the Ophelia Benson "Mykeru is going to shoot Rebecca Watson" attempted meme.

I will address exactly why claims of violent intent from people who obviously live very sheltered lives pisses me off on a personal level in a later post. I am so tired of people whose lives haven't been touched by tragedy --except in their whiny little victim minds -- trivializing violence as a pawn in their cynical little half-bright game.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

What we knew all along, that the FTB crowd use the word 'misogyny' in a different sense than the civilised world, is made explicit by this commenter on Ophelia Benson's blog:
Overt misogyny is the outright expression of hatred of women in general.
Not quite. Misogyny is a term that is being redefined. Just as ‘misanthrope’ is being recast less as actual hatred of humanity to a form of curmudgeonliness about other people, so is ‘misogynist’ being defined to be a deeper hue of sexism.

This is a good thing too, because we need a word for the more egregious form of sexist. These are the ones who do not come so clearly labelled as bigots but are adept at disguising their ugly sexism, or able to muddy the waters by passing their filth off as harmless larks.
So, a misogynist is a sexist who disguises their sexism so that it is not directly noticeable. In other words, it may take the intuition of a witch finder to spot a misogynist under this redefined definition. We all know how proficient the average FTBer is in identifying witches, don't we? No wonder they see misogynists (redefined ones, that is) everywhere, even, or especially, in the Slyme Pit.

http://www.freezepage.com/1356371919BGMKLONATI

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

Mykeru wrote:
justinvacula wrote:So, now -- Stephanie -- it's OK to link the addresses of those you disagree with on the internet if the information is easy to find on Google? Interesting...
Jesus Christ, Justin, but you are thick. How many times does Stefunny and He-Man Greg have to lead by example for you to get it?

It has nothing to do with how easy the information is to find. Do you think going through real estate records to find my ex-wife's old address was easy?

No, it's only okay if the right person does it, who knows the right people and is on the Right Side of History.

No wonder you were unable to conform to the glorious FreepThought group-think.

P.S. Any hypothetical sex tape involving Stephanie "The Whack" Svan and Greg "Theory" Laden would look something like this:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8212/8302 ... 1f43_o.gif
This is symptomatic of a problem that goes far beyond the realm of Baboondom. Sometimes referred to as "identity politics" it 's where an act is judged not by its nature, but by the affiliation of the actor.
It's one of the reasons I was such a huge fan of Hitch. He almost never fell into that particular tar pit.
It's also the primary reason I don't identify with any ideology other than, perhaps, humanism. Once you pin your colors to a particular cause or tribe sooner or later you wind up making yourself look ridiculous trying to defend something indefensible "because our side did it".

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

The apologetics are getting really interesting.

http://i.imgur.com/UaRs7.jpg

real horrorshow

Post by real horrorshow »

Mykeru wrote:
BarnOwl wrote:which are usually (not always, of course) the result of poor dietary and lifestyle choices.
Which, as hateful victim blaming, puts the ideologically pure Social Justice Warrior firmly on the side of McDonalds and Phillip Morris.
No no, haven't you seen the lawsuits? McDonalds makes them eat those burgers. Phillip Morris lied to them about smoking. The fact that no one currently alive was born before those risks were well known and widely publicised is not the point. They didn't know. They are the victim, always always!

Also:
[youtube]BqfZUX5svCg[/youtube]

comslave

Post by comslave »

Mykeru wrote:
BarnOwl wrote:which are usually (not always, of course) the result of poor dietary and lifestyle choices.
Which, as hateful victim blaming, puts the ideologically pure Social Justice Warrior firmly on the side of McDonalds and Phillip Morris.

And 24hour Fitness. They are conspiring to make to go there 6 days a week to keep the weight off.

curious lurker

Post by curious lurker »

jjbinx007 wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/23/techn ... .html?_r=1&

"Giving raves to family members is no longer acceptable. Neither is writers’ reviewing other writers. But showering five stars on a book you admittedly have not read is fine."

Tut tut, Greg. Asking people to give high scores and fake reviews to a book they've never read? What an unethical asshat you are.

Be careful about that link. I just opened it in a new tab, and it immediately went haywire attempting to populate about 10 more tabs opening. Also seems to have screwed up my computer somewhat even after I managed to jump away from the site.

Couldn't read it anyway. Just seeing Laden's homely mug up there on the header made it impossible for me to delve further. He'd likely get more attention paid to his pieces if he'd wise up and remove his picture from there.

Post by Guest »

I may have just warned about the wrong link. I meant the one going to Laden's article, not the NY Times one.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Oh, it's all ok now. Greg is off telling Amazon on Twitter that Mykeru is asking people to write bad reviews. Um, no he's not, Greg. Is he capable of reading??

http://beliefblower.com/pix/gregladen2.JPG

real horrorshow

Darren wrote:It is interesting that in Laden's comment on Stephalump's blog (see Pitchguest's screencap above), he continually refers to the phrase, "to kick someone in the ass", rather than, "to kick someone's ass". Ahh, nuance.
Context baby context. Or, to explain it more fully:
"Unless you've read, memorised and can recite everything I've ever written, you're not qualified to comment, and if you have you're mis-reading it."

This is in contrast to intent as in: "Intent is not magic." Or to explain it more fully:
"It doesn't matter what you meant, we reserve the right to interpret what you said as we please, and it pleases us to be offended. Therefore you are offensive."

I've been meaning to point out that "intent is not magic" bullshit from the baboons for ages. It really is a deeply cynical propaganda tactic. Straight out of the Joseph Goebbels Playbook.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

I have a new toy. A green screen that's much better than the cardboard I was using before.

Now I just need better lighting (or sunnier day) and a topic I feel like ranting about. :)

[youtube]86vWcX5uNuQ[/youtube]

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

real horrorshow wrote:
Also:
[youtube]BqfZUX5svCg[/youtube]
My Xmas eve was gonna suck a bit, but now it doesn't so much. Thanks, Horror!

To everyone, enjoy yourselves tonight.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Jan Steen wrote:
Gumby wrote:

This edition of "WAAAHHHH!!! UNFAIR!!!" brought to you by the crowd who loves to "pharyngulate" polls to skew the results in their favor. Hypocrites.
It is also funny that Laden doesn't even know the title of his own book. He calls it Sungodogo when it is in fact Sungudogo. :D

However, I would not review a book I haven't read, or publish a judgement which is at variance with my actual opinion. Not saying that anyone has, in this case, but the temptation to do something unethical can be great at times.
I have no desire to read or review his book, nor do I wish to spam his review section. Not even tempted; there are better and more productive ways to criticize that emotional cripple Laden. However, if I were to read and review it, I would probably not be kind, just based on the "It was a dark and stormy night" line. Maybe he meant it in some tongue-in-cheek way, but it seems to me that kind of writing does not belong in any book I would care to read.

acathode

Post by acathode »

Could someone expand a bit on the logic behind "intent isn't magic!" meme?
I never really understood what it's supposed to convey. To me, intent is almost always a very important factor when dealing with moral questions. Most obvious example, accidentally causing a fatal accident vs carefully planing and then shooting someone in cold blood, even if the outcome is the same one dead person, the later is a much much worse action morally.

Granted, the damage is the same, the intent doesn't magically make the person in the accident any more alive than the murdered one... that's the only way I can make sense of the expression, but that's not how I see "intent isn't magic" being use in discussion. From what I've seen, it's used in discussions (at least at FTB/A+) almost only in discussions about morality and the moral character of different persons, as to somehow dismiss intent completely as a factor when they pass their "moral judgment" on persons they usually don't like.

So is it just some crap term they borrowed/invented, that they are misusing to justify their hypocrisy, kinda like privilege? Or is there some sort of logic to it that I've completely missed?
CommanderTuvok wrote:Considering the amount of palava Svan and others put into the concept of "victim blaming", it is sad to see them doing it to Justin Griffith.

Svan is a complete hypocrite regarding her defence of Laden, and her stance on doxxing. We called her out on this months ago, and now it seems we were 100% spot on.
Have to give Brownian and the other FTBers that condemn Laden on Zvan's post some small plus points for being consistent to their own rules, for once. It's not easy being Zvan, when not even the most diehard commentators want to defend Laden. JT even had to come to her defense, trying to convince people that just because she's telling Justin to please fucking stop pointing out that Laden is doxing people, she's not technically defending Laden. What a brilliant defense...

Also, merry xmas and all that stuff.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:
I disagree with the Tickler: I think this photograph make you look as though you're having a hard time trying to lay a cable. Thank goodness it doesn't go any lower.
Now that you're saying it, I kinda see it...
http://i49.tinypic.com/oucb3l.jpg

MAD MS Paint skilz, I tell ya!

Reap

Post by Reap »

Gumby wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:
I disagree with the Tickler: I think this photograph make you look as though you're having a hard time trying to lay a cable. Thank goodness it doesn't go any lower.
Now that you're saying it, I kinda see it...
http://i49.tinypic.com/oucb3l.jpg

MAD MS Paint skilz, I tell ya!
nice legs....

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Just saw Laden's latest mind-fuck of a post, where he says his book is "tongue in cheek", "meant to be fun" and "realistic (up to the part where it gets all weird...". Right. It's not just bad writing. Good news, though, he seems to be editing it. Maybe next time he can do that before he sends it off?

It's also amazing at the ego...since
And now, the book, and the secular movement, and feminism, and me, and everything else, are being attacked by (redacted by me, just because) and the slyme pit.
With sterling, writing, like that, how, can, anyone doubt his superstar, status. He writes like Shatner talks in the worst Kirk paradies. I never knew Greggie played such an integral role in the secular movement. His fund raiser for the SSA (his book) quite clearly has provided thousands of dollars...I mean, what else can he mean since he says he's such a superstar. Crap, I can't even be arsed to come up with anything better than that as a comment, it's that effing unbelievable. Why am I reminded of such internet loons like Joe G?

Maybe Greg is somehow connected with Timecube?

real horrorshow

http://i.imgur.com/woKAB.png?2

No Greg, it's called Sungudogo. As one of the few people in the world (about three at current estimate) who even pretend that this tome has any merit, I'd expect you to get the title correct. Or have you not read the bloody thing either?

In related news Emily Dietle has felt obliged to help Uncle Greggy out with a startlingly generous four stars!

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

LMAO @ Greg Laden and his awful doxxing skillz.
How can one man fail so hard at everything he turns his hand to?

Merry christmas to the Pit!
[youtube]HM8qQ2LUeq8[/youtube]

See you all in a few days!

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

What gets me about Greg is the sheer amount of ego under that tit-shaped head of his. Not once does he consider the very real possibility that his book is as shit as the bad reviews say. As far as he's concerned, it's just Slymepit trolling.

Look at the facts, Greg - even your buddy Emily couldn't imbibe enough of your peckersmeg to bring herself to offering it five stars. What do you think 'anxious anticipation' means, Greg? Seriously now.

Darren

Post by Darren »

Merry pytmass to you all!

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Plenty of :lol: and :popcorn: going down at Steffy's place, as regards her recent Laden apologia:
Stephanie Zvan

December 24, 2012 at 1:44 pm (UTC -6)

oolon, take your “game” and “points” and go fuck them somewhere else.

Reap

Post by Reap »

Tigzy wrote:What gets me about Greg is the sheer amount of ego under that tit-shaped head of his. Not once does he consider the very real possibility that his book is as shit as the bad reviews say. As far as he's concerned, it's just Slymepit trolling.

Look at the facts, Greg - even your buddy Emily couldn't imbibe enough of your peckersmeg to bring herself to offering it five stars. What do you think 'anxious anticipation' means, Greg? Seriously now.
Emily is cool. She is really tolerant and she's just a nice person...if she gave him 4 stars out of 5, the book can't be that great. Or maybe it was greg's begging, that's gotta be annoying. "PLEASE! Just give it 5 stars. THOSE GUYS ARE PICKIN ON ME! PPLLLEAASEEE!"

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

In case anyone cares, Thibidoobedoo has written a tl:dr screed about the whole issue, including what a bad guy Justin Griffith is for posting Laden's threats, apparently after he and Greg had kissed and made up (as well as for JG apparently supporting Mykeru somehow). It's typical Lousy Cunt material, though, so take it for what it's worth.

And apparently we all haz a sad that we had to start a forum and not write these comments on a thread at NatGeo. About the only thing I think most might feel bad about is denying Abbie the revenue, like what these twits get when they blogwhore.

Other than that, there's the usual hyperbole and projection, but we've come to expect that. Meh.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Blimey though...Steffy's really gone nuts over this. Can't be the pleasantest Christmas in her house right now.

All thanks to Greg, of course. :lol:

justinvacula

Brayton on FB

Post by justinvacula »

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Tigzy wrote:Plenty of :lol: and :popcorn: going down at Steffy's place, as regards her recent Laden apologia:
Stephanie Zvan

December 24, 2012 at 1:44 pm (UTC -6)

oolon, take your “game” and “points” and go fuck them somewhere else.
Frozen version.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Oh, and colon really is Santorum in human form...

Al Stefanelli

Post by Al Stefanelli »

Perhaps we should have T-Shirts printed up?

http://wcoa.info/teammisogyny.jpg

Reap

Post by Reap »

Tigzy wrote:Blimey though...Steffy's really gone nuts over this. Can't be the pleasantest Christmas in her house right now.

All thanks to Greg, of course. :lol:
oh!... let me get my stick!

fascination

Post by fascination »

ReneeHendricks wrote:A quick update for those interested - we won't be finding out squat about my guy's possible lymphoma until mid-January. Funny bit, however, is he is now using "my cancer" hurts as an excuse for everything and wanted to know if anyone here had suggested blowjobs for him. Yeah, he's handling it rather well.
My deepest sympathies, Renee. I don't have much information or advice to offer but I hope you'll keep us updated. You both will be in my thoughts, hon.

Tapir

Post by Tapir »

Al Stefanelli wrote:Perhaps we should have T-Shirts printed up?

"Misogyny, FUCK YEAH!
So lick my butt, and suck on my balls"

Sounds good.

Reap

Post by Reap »

What I learned from Stephanie Zvan's blog today (my comment)
Hey Stephanie
I never knew you were Justin's mom. You know you should take some parenting classes or there is gonna be no one around to wheel you around the park when you get old so you can yell at the ducks. I also was unaware that you were Greg Laden's nanny. Greg sure does need a lot of attention doesn't he? I hope whoever is payin you to suffer rather than do it themselves realizes all the work you do standing up for Greg when he threatens the other kids. Ok, well I sure learned some stuff today and it's a good thing too cause if I didn't know your relationship with these guys I woulda thought you were just being a bitch again sticking your nose into other people's business and telling people what to do like you think you are an annoying not so bright queen or somethin. I'm glad that isn't the case. Merry Christmas!

Oh and I thought the sex tape was good, next time maybe use different lighting, just sayin.
Your friend
-reap

Mr Danksworth

Post by Mr Danksworth »

^That's just beautiful man. It brought a tear to my eye.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Thank you to both Lsuoma and sacha. Nice words. Merry Christmas.

And to Lord PeeZus of Hypocrite: Go fall down the stairs or something, you blithering idiot.

Altair

Post by Altair »

I have been visiting my dad for Christmas and I haven't had the time to check the pit for the last few days. I just want to write a quick note to wish everyone here a merry Christmas and happy holidays. I hope yoyo spend them doing what you love with the ones you love.

Al Stefanelli

Post by Al Stefanelli »

Reason's Greetings, Happy Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Ramadan, Mithras, Zoroastras, and whatever or whoever else you are doing tonight and tomorrow. Peace to all of you, my friends.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Being a bit bored while the beer-bread is being made, I skimmed my feed and read this bit from Laden from yesterday.
And, most of the harassment I get these days other than the occasional creationist's is actually from fellow Atheists, who hate me because I respect and refuse to rape women, and I recognize that much of the violence done to women is by testosterone poisoned men. Those guys (the Testosterone Poisoned Men of the Blogosphere, or TPMoB) compose hateful tweets, emails, and other missives about or to me and other secular feminists on an ongoing, continuous basis.
All punctuation exactly as it is in my feed. Why do I hear "I'm a good writer" said in the rainman voice? To Greg, I have to say, in the most patronizing (and somewhat sarcastic) voice anyone can think of, "Yes, Greg, of course that's why everyone dislikes you, you're such an upstanding non-testosterone poisoned man anyone can ever know. Have a cookie and go take a nap."

No one has to say anything to him. He does it to himself.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

ReneeHendricks wrote:Oh, it's all ok now. Greg is off telling Amazon on Twitter that Mykeru is asking people to write bad reviews. Um, no he's not, Greg. Is he capable of reading??

Not even what I tweeted, which was "The vanity book by @gregladen on Amazon down to 2 stars. Everyone is a critic, why not you? Review ITG Greggy's book: http://t.co/u6hz2VbN"

Nice when you have to edit it to slant things your way, Greg.

Al Stefanelli

Post by Al Stefanelli »

Adam Lee has decided to engage me in a Twitter 'debate' regarding the definition of misogyny.

real horrorshow

ReneeHendricks wrote:Oh, it's all ok now. Greg is off telling Amazon on Twitter that Mykeru is asking people to write bad reviews. Um, no he's not, Greg. Is he capable of reading??

Meanwhile on his blog, greg is not only asking people to:
Go write a good review of the book to offset Mykeru’s, or at least, down vote the bad reviews he or others at the slymepit have obviously written
He is also making this offer:
I don’t need you to buy the book. I’ll give you the book (an electronic copy of it) … all you have to do is ask.
That looks like payment for reviews to me. Lousy payment, but payment all the same. What happens to Amazon's cut when he does that? Is one of the formats he's offering Kindle? Y'know Amazon's proprietary format? That they own. Hmm, maybe not a good idea to copy your publisher in on Tweets about that Greg.

Barael

Post by Barael »

You have to give credit where credit is due; the complete post is a pretty fantastic (in every sense of the word) diatribe on the 'pit. Worth at least a chuckle. Season's greetings, Jackiepaper! :hankey:

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

real horrorshow wrote:

Meanwhile on his blog, greg is not only asking people to:
Go write a good review of the book to offset Mykeru’s, or at least, down vote the bad reviews he or others at the slymepit have obviously written
He is also making this offer:
I don’t need you to buy the book. I’ll give you the book (an electronic copy of it) … all you have to do is ask.
That looks like payment for reviews to me. Lousy payment, but payment all the same. What happens to Amazon's cut when he does that? Is one of the formats he's offering Kindle? Y'know Amazon's proprietary format? That they own. Hmm, maybe not a good idea to copy your publisher in on Tweets about that Greg.
Seems to me that he may be violating several of Amazon's rules (or terms of serivce?). Wonder what they think of his antics?

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Al Stefanelli wrote:Adam Lee has decided to engage me in a Twitter 'debate' regarding the definition of misogyny.
Relative to which you might want to refer to the approved catechism – er, sorry, glossary – of AtheismPlus:

http://i45.tinypic.com/f4licx.jpg

http://i48.tinypic.com/14mql5f.jpg

And, relative to the last piece of dogmata, I expect most will find it rather amusing, at least those not irony-challenged, to see that their definition for social justice is somewhat at variance with their definition for sexism.

Reminds me of something from my readings in anthropology that many if not most tribes tended to define “human” as “members of the tribe” and “sub-human” or “animal” as everyone outside of it.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Greg Laden's Butt wrote:And, most of the harassment I get these days other than the occasional creationist's is actually from fellow Atheists, who hate me because I respect and refuse to rape women
Oh man, you got our dastardly plan figured out. We all hate you because you refuse to join in our rapin' parties. :lol:

Fuck you, Greg. You don't get to drag the atheist and skeptic communities down to your insane level, you're not nearly bright enough. This kind of shit isn't gonna fly with people who know how to think, which is everybody but you and your FfTB/Skepchick/A+ whackaloon cult.

Barael

Post by Barael »

And, most of the harassment I get these days other than the occasional creationist's is actually from fellow Atheists, who hate me because I respect and refuse to rape women
Is it me or is Greg making a claim about some sort of immaculate conception here? Was he born without the Rape Switch (tm)? And if so, why did he wait 54 years to come out as the Savior of Malekind??

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Could someone who's already on the relevant FfTB threads freeze copies of today's comedy? I hate to give them hits.

real horrorshow

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
My Xmas eve was gonna suck a bit, but now it doesn't so much. Thanks, Horror!

To everyone, enjoy yourselves tonight.
Glad to be of service mate. I shall be following my usual holiday ritual of misanthropy and alcohol abuse. Salutatio.

ThreeFlangedJavis

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

Badger?:
Being a bit bored while the beer-bread is being made, I skimmed my feed and read this bit from Laden from yesterday.
And, most of the harassment I get these days other than the occasional creationist's is actually from fellow Atheists, who hate me because I respect and refuse to rape women, and I recognize that much of the violence done to women is by testosterone poisoned men. Those guys (the Testosterone Poisoned Men of the Blogosphere, or TPMoB) compose hateful tweets, emails, and other missives about or to me and other secular feminists on an ongoing, continuous basis.
Yeah, Greggy you've smacked my dudely pride right in the neanderthal nuts. I'm in the throes of a burning rage. I'm going to drag my knuckles over there and spray your face with spittle. Fuck it, I'll have a rich tea biscuit instead.

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn »

Giftmas sucks at the Rystefn house this year. Still sick as fuck and mixing alcohol with the medicines they have me on is contraindicated by my operations manual; no one within a thousand miles of here knows how to make proper tamales; and I don't really have the energy to jump in on the Greg Laden insanity despite the long years of hilarious bullshit between us.

Oh well, at least I still get to watch the greatest Xmas movie of all time today: Die Hard.

Mr Danksworth

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Rystefn wrote: Oh well, at least I still get to watch the greatest Xmas movie of all time today: Die Hard.
Bad Santa is my favorite holiday movie. It probably makes the baboons cry.

ThreeFlangedJavis

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

real horrorshow:
Glad to be of service mate. I shall be following my usual holiday ritual of misanthropy and alcohol abuse. Salutatio.
Jammy bastard. Down to misanthropy only this Xmas. Can't be arsed to abuse alcohol any more. And my TV just went tits up.

jjbinx007

Post by jjbinx007 »

Going back to Shermergate for a moment, it's interesting how Paula Kirby's account of Elevatorgate from last year seems so relevant regarding so few female speakers at conferences:

http://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com ... ent-116920

FTB: we shoot the messenger so YOU don't have to.

real horrorshow

acathode wrote:Could someone expand a bit on the logic behind "intent isn't magic!" meme?
I never really understood what it's supposed to convey. To me, intent is almost always a very important factor when dealing with moral questions. Most obvious example, accidentally causing a fatal accident vs carefully planing and then shooting someone in cold blood, even if the outcome is the same one dead person, the later is a much much worse action morally
I'd be interested to know too. It's unlikely anything original ever came from the baboons. It interests me because it's such an utterly shameless piece of manipulation.
Altair wrote:I have been visiting my dad for Christmas and I haven't had the time to check the pit for the last few days. I just want to write a quick note to wish everyone here a merry Christmas and happy holidays. I hope yoyo spend them doing what you love with the ones you love.
II shall spend them drinking alone so yep what I love with who I love.
Badger3k wrote:Being a bit bored while the beer-bread is being made, I skimmed my feed and read this bit from Laden from yesterday.
... on an ongoing, continuous basis.
"Ongoing" is one of those words like "proactive", invented by half-wits in business suits who don't have the vocabulary to express themselves properly. Continuous is one of the words which said halfwits use "ongoing" to replace. So the use of both is redundant. Besides, what Lardon really means is "continual".

comslave

Post by comslave »

Take your pick:
http://www.zazzle.com/misogyny+tshirts

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

New from Youtuber Evid3nc3:

"Why I am not a Feminist"

http://evid3nc3.wordpress.com/2012/12/2 ... -feminist/

jjbinx007

Post by jjbinx007 »

A little gem I just found:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/camelswith ... -pz-myers/
PZ Myers: First thought that comes to mind: why are you trivializing physical violence, like a punch in the face, by comparing it to a verbal insult? An insult isn’t even a threat.

Daniel Fincke: I don’t think I am trivializing physical violence. You risk trivializing emotional violence. And don’t underestimate the way that dehumanizing language is the first step towards dehumanizing behaviors. People can be very hurt and they have a right to be, when disrespected by words.
PZ Myers: Their feelings can be hurt. Again, don’t promote this confusion between real violence and words.
This is not to say feelings aren’t real — of course they are. But sometimes you have to metaphorically slap people’s feelings hard to get them to wake up.

PZ Myers: Sometimes, I don’t want civil discourse. There’s no point to politeness when you’re arguing with people who profess uncontroversially bad ideas.